Unthinkable by Cholyn
Summary:

It's been seven years since Billy walked out of Lily's life. He's returned to Genoa City with one goal, and he's willing use all of his resources to accomplish it.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 


Categories: Daytime Television, The Young and the Restless Characters: Lily Winters
Classification: Off Cannon
Genre: Drama, Family, Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Extreme Language
Challenges: None
Series: LnB stand alone stories
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 85777 Read: 147271 Published: 01/07/10 Updated: 07/04/11
Seven by Cholyn
Author's Notes:

I apologize for the delay.

Chris Adam, and not Michael Muhney is Adam. I added a picture of Chris in chapter one.  

Enjoy!

 

"What do you have for me?"

Adam Wilson was a man who believed that actions spoke louder than words. He was a man who understood how important it was to choose your words wisely. One always wanted to choose their words wisely when dealing with the man to his right. Adam had worked with Billy a few times within the past five years.  Truthfully, he couldn't say that he worked with Billy. Working with Billy implied an equal share of power, and Adam didn't have the kind of power that Billy did. True, Adam's father was Victor Newman, but as Shakespeare put it, "What's in a name?" He wasn't Adam Newman, he was Adam Wilson, and a day never went by that he didn't remember that. He could have easily had it changed. His father would have loved him to. But why should he change his name in order to assuage the bastard's guilt of abandoning him and his mother?

"Well?" Billy asked feeling somewhat impatient.

"Relax, "Adam said, hearing the rare impatience in Billy's voice. Billy rarely showed emotion, at least not the genuine kind. "Nick's running late."

Billy sipped his drink. Taking out his small silver ball, he rolled it through the fingers of his right hand. Stay calm. Remember, you don't let anyone see you lose your patience. It will give them the upper hand, and you are always holding the aces. "Nick is not my concern."

"But my sister in law is?" Adam asked quietly, thinking of the lovely Mrs. Newman, who looked quite stunning in her black and silver. He'd seen her walk in, and how could he not?  When just about every man watched her walk by, with her hips swaying, eyes shining, and her small pert breasts showing a tempting amount of cleavage. Her hair was long, and flowing down her back in subtle waves that made a man's hand inch to run his fingers through them. But the thing that stood out above all else, was the playful smile painted on her lips that made a man envious of the one she about to bestow it upon. 

"Adam, my time is valuable. You and I both know that you cannot afford to waste it." Billy said, turning to face Adam. "Tell me."

Adam downed the rest of his drink, before turning to face him. "Nick is meeting with the head of Symphonic Smells on Monday to present the package that Newman would be willing to offer their employees. As you know, the CEO wants to make sure that the workers are taken care of."

Billy nodded in acknowledgement, but didn't respond.

"Newman is going to let go of more people, than what they are presenting in the package. Victor doesn't care what the CEO wants for the employees. Once Newman has control, the package, and most of the promises, will go out the window."

"And the owner won't have any say, because the ex-CEO will have their money, and be sipping piña coladas in Buenos Aires."

"Exactly, which doesn't make sense, when the CEO isn't putting any of this in the contract. They're doing it all based on faith. Not a smart business move."

"Nope, not at all," Billy replied, still rolling the ball. "Is there anything else?"

"The CEO wants copies of Newman's environmental records for past ten years, which will take a little bit of cleaning."

"And a few favors," Billy concluded.

"Quite a few," Adam said, "Which has been keeping everyone at Newman pretty busy these days. That last blow sent Nick scrambling for all the help he could get in order to come up with a new ten year projection for the new company."

"Ahh, the blow that happened almost two weeks ago."

 "Yes, odd that, I wonder what she didn't like about the first projections?"

"Yes, it was odd, although her timing was...impeccable."

Adam smiled, "She's always impeccable."

"And will not be easily replaced," Billy added, "But I'm more than confident that you are up to the task."

"Oh, I think I am." Adam said, and ordered another drink from the bartender.

Rolling the ball one last time, Billy returned it to the inner pocket of his gray suit jacket. He turned on his stool and stood up, "I don't think Nick has enough work to do to tonight." He said before he departing, "See what you can do about that."

Adam watched Billy's departure through the panoramic mirrors behind the bar. He walked a few steps before making a left, to the section where the dance floor and band were located. He made another left to where his delicate, deliciously sweet, sister in law was seated. Adam couldn't blame Billy for his obsession with Lily Winters, men like them needed women like her to balance out the darkness. 

***

"Almost," Nick said, staring down at the new proposal. He wasn't sure she would go for it, it needed...something. He just couldn't put his finger on it. He looked at the steel wire clock hanging on his office wall, and smiled. Lily had given him that clock after his promotion, when he moved into the spacious corner office. He always looked at the clock, because it reminded him of her.

"Shit," he sighed, he was already late, and from the looks of things, he wasn't going to be leaving anytime soon. What had made him think that maybe, just maybe, he could take his wife out for dinner and dancing? He thought that they were too young for such things, but Lils loved to dance. He supposed she'd gotten it honestly from her mother, who, once upon time, had been a soloist for the Genoa City Ballet Company.

He looked down at the thick document, and then back up to the clock. He could finish it. She wouldn't kill him for being thirty minutes or so late?

He sent her a text: I'm running a little late, be there by 8:15. I love you. <3

He sat back, and waited for her reply which came almost immediately.

Lily: Ok, see you then, I love you too.  <3

Nick sighed, feeling truly blessed to have such a sweet, and accommodating  wife.

***

Lily absently ran a finger around the rim of her wine glass, as she stared down at the white linen table cloth. She'd been sipping on the same glass for over thirty minutes. Five minutes, she thought. Nick would be there in five minutes, and she believed him. She knew by the tone of his voice that he'd been excited about taking her out, so she was certain that he'd be there. He was late- really late- but, he would be there. He said he would. They needed this. She needed it. She wished things weren't so hectic. It was June, the weather was nice, a prime time to take a small vacation. She needed to get away. She had to get away.

"A penny for your thoughts?"

 Lily closed her eyes at the sound of his voice. Why, why was he here?

"A nickel?" he asked.

She kept her eyes closed, because she knew that if she looked up, he would be there, staring down at her, with that famous grin on his face. That grin, a grin that never failed to either drive her nuts, or make her heart do flips.

"I've always considered myself to be a handsome man. Actually many women tell me I'm quite handsome." He said, and pulled out the chair opposite her.

Lily's eyes flew open, when she felt his feet brush hers under the table. How had she not heard him pull the chair out? "What are you doing?"

"Sitting, what does it look like?" Billy asked, smiling at Lily, who scowled at him.

"You...you can't sit there. I'm waiting on someone."

"I'll move when he comes."

"I didn't say it was a man."

Billy eyes went from her face down to her cleavage. "Unless you've switched teams, or decided to toe the line, then I'm sure that you're not dressed like that to meet CC or Kate. It was an easy assumption, one that I'm more than positive is correct."

She was about to reply, when the waiter came to the table, and asked if she wanted another glass of wine, to which she declined.

"Good evening Sir, my name his Mark, and I will be your waiter this evening. May I get you something to drink?"

"No,"  "Yes," they said in unison.

The waiter looked from one to the other confused. "Ah, should I come back?"

"No need," Billy said placing his left hand over her right one- which lay palm down on the table- to stall her reply. "I'll have a scotch, and the lady will have the antipasto."

"I'm not hungry," she said sullenly, and then blushed when her stomach chose that moment to protest.

"I rest my case." He said by way of dismissal.

The waiter turned preparing to leave, when Lily stopped him.

"One moment," she said picking up her glass, and tossing back her Chardonnay. "I'll have another," she handed him the glass.

"You could have just told him you wanted another glass, without downing that one as if you were at a keger." Billy said as soon as Mark left.

"I didn't do any such thing," She said blushing furiously.

He smirked in reply, which caused her to scowl at him.

"What do you want?"

"You," He said lazily.

 Lily swallowed at the heat in his eyes. His eyes held a thousand and one promises, and none of them were good. "Stop that."

"Stop what?"

"Stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?" his eyes burned a path from her left shoulder, across her collarbone, down to her cleavage, and back up the other side.

"Like...Like you want to..." She stopped, NO!  She wasn't even going to go there. Not now, no today, not tomorrow, not never.

"What was that?" he asked innocently. "Like I want to what?"

Seduce me, bed me, screw me, toss me up on this table and...and... She crossed her ankles. "It doesn't matter." She said as calmly as she could muster, while things lower in her body began to awaken.

"Come on Tiger. I remember you being a lot braver than this. Please, don't disappoint an old friend with this new cowardly behavior."

"One, don't call me Tiger, two-"

"And why not?" he asked interrupting her next statement, which he was sure to involve the words "I'm not a coward," followed by a very pretty pout. His Lily was a pouter. And he always, always made it a habit to kiss away every single one of them. She had already pouted once tonight, and one pout without a kiss was all that he could bare before doing something reckless.  

"Because, it's... inappropriate," she answered lamely.

He loved it when she blushed. Her cheeks bloomed like red roses in a field of wheat. How could anyone be so exotically beautiful, and captivating, without an ounce of vanity, and a liter of innocence? "Inappropriate, don't you think that's a bit harsh?"

"No," she said demurely, and then smiled when the waiter came over and placed their drinks and her antipasto on the table, before departing.  Lily stared down at the plate filled with prosciutto, salami, black and green olives, artichoke hearts, red peppers, provolone and mozzarella cheeses, and bruschetta.  "I can't eat all of this."

"I know, which is why Mark, left two plates."

 Lily looked at the plate, then to him, back to plate, and then back to him. This happened a few more times, before she said. "That plate is not for you. It's for..."

"I bet I can guess the next words out of your mouth," at her silence he continued. "Would they happen to be, my husband?"

It was a dismissal, and Lily knew it. The way he'd said the word "Husband," as if it were no more than an after thought, as if her husband didn't matter. As if Nick was nothing to be concerned about. And if Nick was nothing to be concerned about, then neither was her marriage.

"Here," he speared a black olive with his fork, and offered it to her. 

She sat back eyes wide, mouth dry, "What are you doing?"

"I'm trying to quiet the tiger...Tiger."

"What," she began, but was interrupted by the loud growl that came from her stomach.

"Eat," he said in a voice that usually broke no argument from his employees, but unfortunately for him, she wasn't an employee.

"Billy Abbott, please refrain from telling what to do. You are not my father and you most certainly are not- oomph."

 None of that¸ thought Billy shoving a piece of bruschetta topped with provolone and prosciutto into her mouth. He really...really, didn't want her to finish that sentence.  And besides, she needed to eat. She could argue with him later. He was sure they were going to be doing plenty of it, before they left for London.

"That," she began, taste buds tingling, her senses in overdrive, and her mouth watering for more of the delicious food. She wanted more, but first they had to get a few things straight. "Was very ru...oomph" Black olives, I love black olives, she thought, chewing on the delicious morsel. It was so good. She finished and was about speak, but he placed a green one in her mouth. The contrast between the two olives had her sighing in pleasure, so much pleasure that she let Billy feed her a piece of mozzarella. She hadn't realized how hungry she was, until the plate was set in front of her. She'd chosen to ignore the outcry from her stomach. She hadn't eaten since her lunch meeting at the GCAC, where she'd had a small salad six hours ago. Well no more, her stomach was happy, not nervous, or antsy, or hungry, it was just...happy. She frowned, after swallowing another piece of bruschetta, this time topped with mozzarella, provolone, black olives, and salami.

"Drink this," he said holding her glass of wine to her lips.

She did, another burst of pleasure enveloping her senses. The slightly sweet taste of the chardonnay drenched her taste buds, and mellowed her senses.

"Better?" he asked watching the small satisfied smile play around her lips.

She sighed, "Much."

"Good," he said standing.

Lily started, "What...are...are you leaving now?" She asked tentatively.

"Nope."

"Restroom?" she asked scooting back in her chair, watching him walk closer to her.

"Nope," he said, and reached down to pull out  her chair.

"What," She said, in a futile attempt to keep her chair still, as it slid back. "What are you doing?" She said in rush.

"Dancing," he said pulling her up by the hand.

"I am not dancing with you,"

"Why, are you afraid?"

She rolled her eyes, as if she would walk right into that one. "No, I'm not."

"Good, then let's go," he moved, but felt her dig her heels in. "We can either dance here- near the table- in this dark, and intimate corner or we can go out on the floor, with everyone else. But either way Tiger, you and I are going to dance."

***

Nick was completely absorbed in the report, making changes here and there. But it still wasn't ready. He wasn't sure if it would ever be ready. He sighed, laying his head against the back of his seat. Newman needed this acquisition. They needed something fresh and new to attract buyers in their international market, where Jabot was basically, and to put it bluntly, kicking Newman's asses. The domestic sales numbers were great, but to be honest, they weren't as strong as they could be. His father was the problem. He was willing to gamble when it came to buying something new, but it was usually only just to strip it, and sale off the stocks. It was a ruthless business. And yet, thanks to his domineering attitude, it had taken his father forever to finally start listening to him in regards to where the company needed to go. Newman needed a younger buyer, because the old ones were dying, or not spending as much. It was a cold way to think, but in business, you had to learn to get a little ice in your veins.

He wiped a hand across his eyes. He was tired, and extremely hungry. Hungry. He jolted up in his chair and looked at the clock. 8:40 "FUCK!" He yelled, eyes focusing on the clock, which taunted him, as the second hand continued to make its routine jaunt around the other numbers.  He was over thirty minutes late, wait, make that an hour, since he was originally suppose to meet her at 7:30! He looked down at the document on his desk that still needed to be ironed out, and sighed. He really needed to finish this, but...he also needed to have dinner with his wife. This was important, but Lily was more so, and besides, it wasn't as if they were presenting the proposal tomorrow. He would take it home, and go over it later tonight...well, maybe tomorrow. The only thing he was going over tonight was his wife.

Nick stood up, stretching his arms above his head; he yawned, shook it off and packed up his briefcase, preparing to leave, when his door opened.

"Good, I caught you before you left."

Nick picked up his briefcase, "Look Adam, I don't have time to talk."

"Well you better make some," Adam said taking a seat in one of the two black leather armchairs in front of Nick's desk.

Nick looked at Adam, who looked relaxed and at home, as if he had all the time in the world. Nick chanced a glance at the clock, which smiled evilly at him. "I'm sure whatever the issue is, it can wait until morning."

"If you say so, but..."

"But..."

"But, nothing, I'm sure it can wait until morning." Adam rose and made to depart.

"Adam," Nick said, halting him in his tracks. "What is it, and don't say it's nothing. I know you well enough to know that it must be something."

Adam looked at him confused. "I...I thought you had somewhere to be?" he thought he sounded quite convincing. God, this was just too easy.

 "I do," He dropped the briefcase, and closed his yes, resting his palms on his desk. What was he doing? He should just let Adam tell him tomorrow. "Does this have anything to do with Symphonic Smells?"

"Why the hell else would I be here?" on a night when you're suppose to be dining with your wife.  "I sure as hell didn't come to shoot the breeze with my big brother," he said in a voice, which plainly said that that would be the last thing he'd ever want to do. He and Nicholas were related, they were brothers, but that was where it began and ended.

"Well?" Nick asked impatiently.

Adam smirked at his impatience, reclaiming his chair, he motioned that Nick should have a seat in his. "This is going to take a while."

"And this can't wait?" Nick was exasperated to say the least. "Lily is waiting for me at Gina's."

"Well then, you should leave. You wouldn't want to keep my sister in law waiting too long."  Adam tapped his fingers against the arm rest, as he watched Nick struggle with what to do. He needed a little nudge in the right direction. "Have you gone over the report?"

"Yeah, I was just adding some changes here and there, but I can do them tomorrow."

"I think it would be best if we went over it together."

"Why?" Nick asked suspiciously.

"I got a call from our insider. One of the other companies vying to buy Symphonic Smells, Belle de Jour, already turned in their projection plan, and the CEO was not pleased. I think we need to make sure that we don't have anything remotely like ‘that' in our report. Especially since this isn't the first one she's seen."   

What Adam said was common sense, and as much as Nick would have rather waited until tomorrow, he needed to at least hear what Adam to say, before he left. He moved back to his chair, lowering himself in with care. "Alright, tell me."

"Well," Adam said, and began his story. You owe me, Billy, thought Adam, who had every intention of collecting.

***

How had this happened? Lily wasn't sure. She wasn't sure of anything, not the people around her, the floor beneath her, or the ceiling above her. And she most definitely wasn't sure how she'd let Billy maneuver her onto the dance floor. This was wrong, it was all wrong. She wasn't supposed to be dancing with him. She was supposed to be dancing with her husband-her husband, who wasn't there. Where was he?

"You're going to get wrinkles if you keep frowning," Billy said, stopping in the darkest corner at the edge of the room. He turned her to him, bringing her closer with one hand, while resting the other firmly on her waist.

Her breath caught when she felt his hand touch her waist. "We...we can't dance, there isn't any music," she attempted to detach her self, but he held her firm.

"Just wait..."

It was only a second, before she recognized the song, and began to hum.

The very thought you...and I forget to do... the little ordinary things... that everyone ought to do.

It was an instrumental version, but she knew the song. The Very Thought of You, by the timeless Natalie Cole.

I'm living in...a kind of daydream.  I'm happy as... a king. And foolish...though it may seem... to me... that's everything.

 She knew the song well, her mother used to love the song. It wasn't originally by Natalie Cole. There were many different versions, two in particular by Billie Holiday and Etta James, that she also loved, but theirs were mid tempo.  Whereas this one was a slower version, Natalie's soft voice making it as if it were an original, and not just another version.

She didn't protest when Billy moved them in time to the music. She relaxed in his arms, and felt the music, letting him lead her where he wanted to. 

The mere idea of you...the longing here for you- You'll never know, how slow, the moments go ‘til I'm near... to you.

Billy hadn't held her like this since Cane and Mac's wedding. They'd danced to this very song at the reception. It was a song that would always be special to him. He'd never been into the standards, but one day- months after he'd left- he was on an elevator in Hong Kong, when he heard the song wafting softy through the vents. He'd gone home later that night, and purchased the song on iTunes. Most days he avoided it, but sometimes he would turn it on, and close his eyes, remembering the feel of her, the smell of her, and the essence that was hers and hers alone. It would haunt him for days, sometimes weeks, but it was always worth it in the moment. Like now, this indulgence would haunt him every day. But he would have no regrets, not a single regret.

I see your face... in every flower-Your eyes- in stars above. It's just the though of you... the very thought of you... my love.

"I feel old," he said, needing to say something, as the song's melody engulfed them taking over, and the words that he knew were there, dropped out of the song, wrapping them tightly in a cocoon of magic that separated them from the other dancers. 

"Old?" she question, looking up at him.

"Yes, old. We have to be the youngest people out here dancing."

She looked around, and sure enough, he was correct. The youngest person she could see looked to be maybe, just maybe, in their early forties, late thirties. "True, but ..." it's nice. She finished in her mind.

"But what?"

"But, you asked me to dance. Well you didn't ask, you said that we were going to dance, and now you want to complain."

"I only asked because I know how much you like to dance, and..."

"And?"

He looked down, his golden brown lashes slightly covering his eyes. "And I wanted..." he pulled her closer, "to feel you in my arms again."

Lily looked into his neck. What could she say to that? There were many things she should say. But nothing seemed to come, not a single thought of indignation, or the conviction that she shouldn't let him say things like that to her. His words had called home to her, the longing that she'd once felt during those lonely nights after he'd left. The nights when she'd wanted nothing more than to feel his arms around her; her back to his chest, his breath on her neck, one hand messaging her side, while the other ran through her hair. "Do you remember the reception?"

He smiled into her hair, "Yes. And how could I forget, when you looked stunning in your bridesmaid dress?"

"I was surprised that she asked me. It's not as if she and I were friends then."

"Cane knew that if he wanted me to be one of his groomsmen, then you would have to be a bridesmaid. I wasn't going to walk down the isle with some sad looking creature."

She laughed. "I hope you didn't tell him that." She looked up at his silence, and laughed. "You did."

"Of course I did.  Have you seen some of Mac's friends?" he said causing her to giggle. Billy felt such hope when she laughed. This was the first time since their reunion that he'd made her laugh. She wasn't frowning, or teetering on the verge of tears. He knew they needed to talk. There was so much to discuss, but it could wait....it could wait a little longer. He just needed to keep her off balance.

"They're all pretty."

"Pretty ugly."

"Billy," she gasped, her eyes echoed her laughter. "You are...unbelievable." She shook her head, which caused her hair to ripple from the top, down her shoulders to her back.  

He didn't reply, just pulled her closer. So close that her breasts were mere inches from his chest, and her dress touched the edge of his jacket. She didn't seem to notice. She'd closed her eyes and started humming the last few bars of the song.

The mere- idea of you... the longing- here for you... you'll never know- how slow- the moments go, till I'm near... to you.

He could feel the music move through her, as her lovely voice lulled him into a sense of peace. When was the last time he'd felt this at peace? When was the last time he'd felt at home? When was the last time, he truly felt...anything? With her, with His Lily, he felt everything, and for the first time, in seven years, he truly felt at home.

I see your face... in every flower-Your eyes- in stars above. It's just the though of you... the very thought of you... my love.

 The strains of the music slowed as the last note brought them to a stand still.

"Well, that was..." She trailed off as a slow-mid tempo version of "They can't take that away from me" began. "I..."

They way you wear your hat.

"One more?" he asked staring into her eyes.

The way you sip your tea.

 He watched as she bit her lip, "Just one more."

The memory of all that. No, No, they can't that away from me.

"I..." She began.

The way your smile just gleams.

"Hello Sweetheart."

The way you sing of key, the way you haunt my dreams.

Lily jumped at the sound of the male voice, and attempted to escape from Billy's arms. "Victor...hi," she said flushing. Don't blush, don't blush. You weren't doing anything wrong.

No, No, they can't take that away from me.

"Nick was held up at the office. He told me he called your cell phone, but it went straight to voicemail," he said ignoring Billy's presence.

We may never... Never meet again- on the bumpy road to love.

 "Oh, it's at the table. I..." she fell off. She felt so guilty, her husband had called and she wasn't available to answer his call, because she was in the arms of her ex-boyfriend. "He...he sent a text earlier saying that he was going to be a little late." She said, once again attempting to step out of Billy's grasp, but he held her firm.

"Something came up, so he had to work a little later, but he didn't want you to miss dinner because of him.

But I'll always, always, keep the memory of. 

 "Oh its okay, I understand," she said, and no one believed her. "I know this is important for Newman." She attempted a smile, but it didn't reach her eyes.

Billy hated seeing her hurt, but it was what it was. He wanted to hold her to him, he wanted the feeling to return, but it wasn't going to...at least not tonight. Reluctantly, he slowly removed one hand from her waist, but held onto her right hand.

The way you hold your knife, the way we danced to till three.

 "I'm sorry sweetheart," Victor said. "Nikki and I are having dinner, you should come join us." He spoke to Lily, but his eyes were on Billy, who raised one eyebrow.

"That...that sounds good, but I already ate an entire plate of antipasto. I think I'll just go home and get some rest for tomorrow."

"Are you sure? You know how much Nikki loves your company." He smiled down at her.

"The way you changed my life.

Lily blushed, she wasn't in the mood to talk to Nikki, but she knew that it couldn't be avoided. She just needed to get out of there. The situation was awkward, especially, with Billy just standing there mute, holding her hand.  "Yes, but I will chat with mom for a bit."  Removing her hand from Billy's, she started away, but turned back, "thank you for keeping me company."

Hey No, they can't take that away from me.

"Anything for you," he said and watched as Victor led her away from him. Nicely played Victor, but you won't be able to protect your baby boy. Billy thought, walking to the table he tossed down a Benjamin, and left the restaurant.

No...you- can' t- take- that- away... from me.

****

"Hello," Nick said picking up the phone as he walked into the darkened house. A light was on in the hallway as was usual. It was well almost eleven. And he wanted nothing more than to crawl into bed with his wife, who he owed big time.  She was very understanding, so unlike the other women he dated, before he'd met her. Especially one, but he'd leave her in the past.

"Nicholas," said the distinctive voice of Victor Newman.

"Dad, what is it?" Nick yawned. "I just got in the house.

 "Everything went well?"

"Yes, couldn't you have asked me this in the morning?" He climbed the steps, until he was at the top, and walked down the short hall that was illuminated by a small night light. He was barely listening to his father, as he turned into his room. The room was cast in darkness, except for the night light she kept on in the bathroom, so that he could move around the room if he came in late, without disturbing her, or hurting himself in the process. He stopped at the bed, looking down on her sleeping form. The flat sheet rested at her waist, the duvet had been casually tossed on his side of the bed. "Is that all?" he asked, going into their large walk in closet.

"No, I think you should take your wife away for a while."

Nick paused in the process of unbuttoning his shirt. "What's going on? You and I both know that Newman can't afford for me take off, when we're so close to finalizing this deal." He slid off his shirt. "Did Lily say something?" he asked. When Victor didn't reply, he took the opportunity to strip off his pants. He laid them on the table for the maid to send to the cleaners in the morning.

"No, but she didn't need to."

Nick sighed, leaning against a dresser. "We'll go away for a nice long vacation once everything is settled," he said padding back to his room, where he sat on his side of the bed, staring down at Lily.

"And you'll take a short one now."

"Dad."

"Nicholas, that wasn't a request. I am telling you to take your wife on a vacation."

"This is so unlike you." She was wearing one of his shirts again, he noted, before moving the comforter to the bench at the foot of the bed.

"Adam can handle your work while you're away."

"So that's it," Nick said growing angry, but keeping his voice down. "You can't just demand that I take a vacation without giving me a reason." Victor was silent on the other end. So silent that Nick looked at his phone to make sure he hadn't hung up. But the words that came, the ones that he'd finally uttered, were not what he'd been expecting. Two words were all it took, two words uttered in a flat emotionless tone, were enough sharpen his awareness.

"Billy Abbott," Victor said, and hung up.

"Billy," Nicholas said, staring down at His wife, who looked as peaceful as an angel. He leaned over, kissed her hair. Sitting up he picked up his cell, and pressed seven. "Mitchell," he said, when he his sleepy assistant picked up the phone. "I need to take my wife on a trip, somewhere romantic, make the arrangement, we leave tomorrow." He hung up the phone, slid down into the bed, and pulled Lily into his arms.

End Notes:

Thanks for reading, please review. : D

The very thought of you by, Natalie Cole. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azBqRLttKGU

 

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=1154