96 Hrs in True Falls by Jamey_St_Peters
RetiredSummary:

Emery Harris has her hands full running the Beckenbach family for the past 7 years and she's loved every minute of it. So throwing the surprise 35th anniversary party for her employers is hardly a chore. But rather than worrying about the guests and the band, Emery finds herself fretting about the arrival of the prodical son. For the first time in 3 years Nick Beckenbach will be stateside. As much as Em has tried to convince herself that she's moved past her feelings for him, she can't be sure until this weekend is over. But there is more than just her feelings for Nick to contend with. One thing is for sure, the party won't be the only surprise this weekend.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: Original Character(s)
Classification: General
Genre: Family
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 10325 Read: 41385 Published: 26/04/11 Updated: 29/05/11

1. Chapter 1 by Jamey_St_Peters

2. Chapter 2 by Jamey_St_Peters

3. Chapter 3 by Jamey_St_Peters

4. Chapter 4 by Jamey_St_Peters

5. Chapter 5 by Jamey_St_Peters

6. Chapter 6 by Jamey_St_Peters

7. Chapter 7 by Jamey_St_Peters

8. Chapter 8 by Jamey_St_Peters

9. Chapter 9 by Jamey_St_Peters

Chapter 1 by Jamey_St_Peters
Author's Notes:

Well here we go... as usual this is from the mind of one Jamey St. Peters. I own these characters and not much else. If you'd like to support this artist, send Dr. Pepper and Taco Bell to fuel even more ceativity. Otherwise, enjoy!

When a girl has a 45 minute drive and news that the guy she’s been crazy over the last 3 years has a new girlfriend, that person has too much time to think. It didn’t matter that Emery Harris had less than 72 hours to get a million things done and only her two hands to do it. The only thing on her brain was one Nicholas Beckenbach.

She’d been planning this weekend to celebrate his parents’ 35 wedding anniversary for months. She’d taken just as long to steel herself against seeing Nick in person again. Since his move to the UK, things had gotten better. She’d even managed to convince herself that she’d be fine after 18 months apart. Then he’d called that morning to let her know that he wouldn’t be arriving at the cabin alone. Cady would be with him. Never mind he’d had over six months to say he was bringing someone, never mind that was one more person she’d have to fit into the seating chart, never mind that this news was like stabbing her in the heart. Cady and he were expected to land at six and should be at the cabin by eight on Friday night. As much as she hated that this development bothered her, there wasn’t any denying that she still had feelings for the oldest son of her employers.

In the seven years that she’d worked for Senator and Dr. Beckenbach, she’d felt like family more than someone who was on the payroll. She’d been hired just after college by Catherine Beckenbach to help her with meshing her 4 sons, politician husband and her pediatric surgery practice together.  That meant she was part assistant, part estate manager, part chauffeur and part event planner. Whatever was needed to make the Beckenbach lives run just that much smoother, she did it, and well if she did say so herself. Everything from driving Casper to lacrosse practice to arranging flights for Nick to come home, she took it on. Deacon and his wife Libby like to tease her that she was the wife they all couldn’t live without. Emery didn’t know how true that was because Nick had certainly managed without her.

Feeling herself going down the ‘feeling sorry for herself’ trail, she pushed those thoughts down. Grousing over Nick’s lack of attraction for her wasn’t going to get her anything. His younger brother and one of her best friends, Sebastian had told her that about a million times. Mr. Practical didn’t see the point in her pining over Nick and told her so. If anyone else had put it to her like that she would have thought them an unfeeling jackass, but with Sebastian it was facts. Taking the facts and leaving out the rest is what made Sebastian successful. It wasn’t always so lucrative in the friend department. The fact was if she didn’t know that Sebastian had her best intentions at heart, she’d be likely to clock him. But he was never in any real danger of that happening because she knew him too well to doubt he would do anything but look out for her.

Being a real friend was just another thing that Bas could list under his ‘perfect’ header. He’d offered all the support he could when it came to her Nick disappointment and Em knew that couldn’t always be easy for him. From what she could gather females had been falling over his older brother since puberty and she imagined she wasn’t the first to turn to Bas for a sympathetic ear. Lord knew she’d comforted herself a couple of times by lamenting she might not have gotten the prince to love her, but she’d gotten a knight as a best friend out of the deal. Couldn’t really be too heartbroken if you looked at it that way right?

The sound of gravel under her tires tore Em out of her thoughts. Somehow the SUV had managed to guide itself thru the tiny downtown of True Falls to the private road that lead to the Beckenbach’s vacation home. A minute of gravel popping beneath the tires passed before the house came into view thru the trees. Expecting to see nothing other than the breathtaking stone exterior of the home, Em was puzzled to see a dark car stationed in front of the cabin door. It wasn’t until she got closer that she recognized the luxury car by the plates on the car. Only one person she knew would put BEXLAW on their vanity plates. Sure enough as soon as she’d put her own vehicle into park and got out, the front door of the Beckbach’s cabin opened and out strode the second oldest of the clan. Bas gave her a huge grin as he took the stairs. “About time you showed up gorgeous.”

Closing the distance between them, the duo enveloped in a quick hug. Pulling back, Em looked up into her friend’s face.  “What are you doing up here already?”

Bas took her car keys from her and proceeded to pop the trunk. “Well I figured you have about a million or two things to do before the party and knowing you, you’ll do all of them without a lick of sleep if need be. I’m much rather give you a hand and give you a chance to rest up enough to tear up the dance floor with me.”

Joining him at the trunk Em gave a laugh. Both of them knew that if there was one thing she wouldn’t be doing come Saturday night, it was dancing with him. Boy had two left feet and both of them always managed to stomp on his partner’s feet like they were grapes in a barrel. “I thought that you had some big case you were supposed to be gearing up for.”

“There is always a big case I’m getting ready for. But it can wait a few days for me to celebrate my parent’s anniversary with my family right?”

The grin on Bas’ face left no room for disagreement. Truthfully she was glad to have the help and the opportunity to spend some time alone with her friend before things got hectic. “Right.”

“So let’s get this stuff inside.”

End Notes:

As usual I welcome comments. It helps me focus and honestly pushes me to actually get the next chapter or so done if I know people are waiting to find out what happens next.

Chapter 2 by Jamey_St_Peters
Author's Notes:

I wanted to thank everyone for their reviews. They are so amazing in helping me focus and motivate myself to move along. It took me a while to find where I wanted to go, but here's my latest installment. I hope you enjoy and thanks again!

Six hours passed without Em slowing down in the least. Even with Bas to boss around, there were rooms to ready, caterers to confirm, flower arrangements to design and a million other details to square away before Friday afternoon. It had been mission impossible, but with the guys’ help, Em was pretty sure that Catherine and James were in the dark about the party. Bas had sold his parents on a quiet weekend with the family. Considering the coordination it took to get the Beckenbach family into one location, Em wasn’t surprised they’d considered that a great anniversary gift. With Nick in Europe, Bas working 70 weeks as a corporate attorney, Deacon busy with his family and Casper in his junior year at college out of state the times where the entire family could get together were far and few between. If Emery was honest with herself it was why she was busting her butt to make everything great for the weekend.

With it just being her mom and her, there weren’t any big family events. She loved that it was just the two of them; her mama was one of her best friends. But there was a part of her that envied the more traditional Beckenbachs. They celebrated events as a family, they had Christmas card portraits every year, pictures from family vacations littered their homes and offices. Some people might have found it corny, but Em loved it and the family for including her.

As thoughts of the family danced around in her head, Em realized she hadn’t heard anything from the kitchen in a while. Bas was supposed to be wrapping Jordan almonds in tulle for the party favors. He hadn’t been thrilled to do the job, but had set up shop at the kitchen table to do so anyways. Checking her watch she realized how much time had gone by. Bas was either hard at work or had long become distracted. With her best guess going towards distraction, Em decided to go and check on him.

Abandoning the slide show she’d been working on, Em headed across the house to the kitchen.
Outside the daylight still illuminated the space surrounding the house. Green grass, lush trees and a blue sky combined to make a breathtaking view from the oversized windows that dominated the front of the house. With the picturesque views and isolation, the home was the perfect place to escape for a bit. Even in passing, the swing on the front porch called for Em to grab a book and come out and enjoy the sunshine. It was only the reminder of Bas and the list of things she needed to accomplish that kept her moving.

As she got closer, the smell of food overtook her. Her stomach rumbled in response, reminding her that it had been forever since she’d scarfed down a breakfast burrito. Just another time to be thankful that Bas seemed able to read her mind even when she had no idea what was on it.

Entering the kitchen, Em found her friend working at the stove, his back to her. As many times as Bas had made dinner for her over the years, it was still weird to her. Her friend was build more like a linebacker than any chef she knew. Six four, he towered over her and out-weighted her by at least a hundred pounds, but that was muscle. Because he had heart disease Bas was meticulous about his diet and exercise. Much as she might tease him about wanting to be Superman, Em had to admit that the dedication more than paid off. With his classic features, dark brown curls, bright gray-green eyes and that body, he turned just as many heads at 32 as he had when she’d met him in his mid-20s.

“You’re just in time for some dinner.” Em wanted to laugh. He couldn’t have heard her come in, yet he didn’t even have to turn around to know she was there. Bas tossed a grin over his shoulder at her in response. “Wash your hands and we’ll eat.”

Doing as she was told, Em went to the sink and turned on the water. Catching sight of her reflection in the kitchen window she briefly checked her features. Same skin the color of fudge brownies, large brown eyes, wide nose and full lips in a round face that she saw every morning in her mirror. Curls that Diana Ross could be envious of would have framed her face, but that morning she’d decided to pull them back with a fair amount of product and bobby pins. By some miracle none of the curls had fought their way free yet. Assured that she wasn’t a complete mess, she focused on her hands.

Once she finished drying her hands on a towel Bas present her with a glass of wine. Gratefully accepting the stemmed wineglass, she gave him quick smile. “I love you.”

Rolling his eyes, he returned to the stove. “I bet you say that to any man who gives you booze.”

Ignoring his wisecrack, she took a sip from the glass. The burst of flavor brought a grin to her face.  “I’m sorry, did you say something? My wine and I were trying to have a moment.”

“You know I could eat this by myself.”

“But you won’t.” Indulging in some more of her wine, Em moved to take a seat at the counter. She watched silently as Bas prepared two plates of pasta, green beans and mashed potatoes. Setting one down plate down in front of his friend, Bas took his own and sat down on the stool next to her. Em paused long enough to thank him before digging into the food. She couldn’t say for sure if it was her hunger, but the penne and sauce was amazing. Far better than the gummy mess she would have created if she’d tried to cook. Much as she liked food, and her hips could certainly attest to that, her cooking skills were lacking. A delicious home cooked meal was an unexpected plus of this extra time with her friend.

Bas waited until Em started to clear the kitchen before commenting, “So, you’ve kind of been off the grid these past couple of weeks.”

“What are you talking about? We’ve talked on the phone and texted about this party almost everyday.”

“Yeah, we talk about the party. I’m talking about life that doesn’t have to do with my parent’s anniversary party.”

Odd as she found it that he was asking something he probably could guess at, Em gave a nonchalant shrug. “You know me. I’m reading a new biography, working on my knitting and fending off the phone calls of my mother asking me when I’m going to get a real job, a man and some kids.” The two shared a smile over her mother’s harassment. “Other than a riveting dentist’s appointment earlier this week, nothing is going on.”

“Well I guess that’s good news.”

Pausing from loading the dishwasher, Emery turned her full attention to Bas. “What about you? I mean other than work and working out, what have you been up to?”

“Haven’t really had a chance to do anything but. We just settled this case I’ve been slaving over which was perfect timing because if I hadn’t this weekend would have been a working nightmare. But we finished early, so I have the entire weekend to enjoy.”

His friend’s face split into a smile. “Good. I want this weekend to be amazing. I’ve been looking forwards to this for months, you have no idea.”

Bas’s eyes darkened as his expression grew somber. “Really? I thought maybe with Nicky bringing-”

“Cady?” He nodded as she followed his train of thought. “It’s okay. I mean am I a bit weird about it? Yeah, but it is what it is. Nick has a girlfriend and she’s coming thousands of miles to meet his entire family. That’s the facts of the situation.”

As bright as her words were, neither was completely convinced. Bas being too much of a gentleman to press the matter gave a resolved sigh. “You know if it’s not okay or if it gets that way, you can come to me.”

Setting aside glass she’d been preparing to load into the dishwasher, Em moved to hug her friend instead. “I know that and thank you.”

As Bas held her, he mumbled a ‘you’re welcome’ and Em silently prayed that she wouldn’t have any need to take him up on his offer.

Chapter 3 by Jamey_St_Peters
Author's Notes:

I am so sorry that this took so long to write itself. There are a million things going on in my head and most of them are not about what I want them to be about at all. That being said, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter.

The next morning while Bas enjoyed his bowl of breakfast cereal, Em checked her list over once more. She’d managed to get everything she’d intended to ahead of schedule. This despite Bas insisting that she play some chess with him. He’d killed  her of course, but she’d enjoyed herself just sitting around doing nothing with him. The rest of her day should be so relaxed.

Deacon, his wife, their daughter Rosalind and Casper were already on their way to the house. Nick and Cady would drive up after their flight landed. She’d intentionally made sure that both parents were booked until late in the afternoon just in case some unexpected emergency came up,but so far things seemed complete. With nothing to really distract her, Em figured her imagination would go overboard thinking about seeing Nick again. Rather than torturing herself she’d decided to venture into town instead of staying cooped up there waiting. A cancellation at the salon had been just the luck she needed. A bit of pampering or shopping usually cured whatever ailed her.

Bas surprised her when she announced her plans by offering to drive into town with her. He told her that he had errands of his own and didn’t mind waiting around for her once he was done. They agreed to leave once he finished his breakfast.

The drive into True Falls mainstay was uneventful and quick. Bas dropped Em off at the salon and told her to call his cell once she was ready. Thanking him for the ride, she hopped out and headed inside.

Marco Salon and Spa was a bright space done in cherry yellows and bright reds. It should have looked like a clown exploded, but instead the space was modern and hip with unusual furnishings and art. Em had been there a few times before for manicures so the receptionist recognized her when she entered. The woman must have sensed some uneasiness because she assured Em that Gayle would take great care of her.

Gayle turned out to be a woman just over five eight with short blond hair styled in small spikes. Her demeanor was friendly as she introduced herself and lead Em back to her chair. Wrapping her in a Marco’s smock, she asked permission to release her hair from its ponytail. After testing the texture and asking her what she wanted to try, Gayle grinned when Em admitted that she wasn’t too sure what she was looking to do. It took a little cajoling on Gayle’s part but she managed to get Em to agree to let her work her magic.

The salon turned out to be the perfect place for her to lose herself. Gayle talked nonstop the entire time she worked on her hair. Her head filled with celebrity and local gossip, she had her hair washed, conditioned and snipped without a thought of anyone with the Beckenbach name. Gayle had just finished her blow out and was preparing to flat iron her hair when Em spotted Bas walking her way in the mirror.

Spinning the chair to face her friend, Em could see that he was amused by the attention he was garnering as he made his way to her. Stylists and customers alike were shamelessly giving him the once over. Em managed to keep herself from teasing Bas as he let her know that he was going to wait for her in the lobby. Once he’d given his message Bas turned and fled, leaving Em to chuckle to herself. Gayle turned her back to the mirror and picked up her flat iron.

“You were holding out on me Miss Emery.”

“What do you mean?”

“You got a man that fine and you weren’t dishing any dirt? What’s he like, where did you meet him and does he have any brothers as fine as he is?”

“Bas? Oh no, you’ve got it wrong. Bas is my friend. My best friend actually, but just a friend.”

“You’re just friends with a guy who looks like that?” The flat iron clinked as Gayle closed it on a section of hair. “How is that possible?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean if you’re friends you obviously like him. And I know you got eyes, so you see all that hotness. And that voice? Sexy. Can you honestly tell me that with all that going on you’ve never thought ‘I should make that happen?’ Really?”

Gayle’s animation made Em laugh. Even so, she paused to think before answering her. “I guess the thought really hadn’t crossed my mind. I mean I know Bas is attractive and fun to be around, but there has never been that vibe with the two of us. It doesn’t matter how hot a guy is, if the chemistry isn’t there, then it isn’t there.”

“I suppose you’re right.” Gayle met Em’s eyes in the mirror then grinned. “But it’s still a shame to let him go to waste.”

Em only smiled in response but Gayle’s words got her to thinking. It had been a while since Bas had dated anyone seriously. Bas tended to be more on the serious side when it came to things. Family was important and his career came after that. As far as she knew most of his socialization took place with her and his brothers. He rarely dated anyone more than once and hadn’t had a serious girlfriend since law school. Em had  met Veronica a couple of times and thought that she and Bas would get engaged after they graduated. Instead they’d broken up when Veronica accepted a job on the West Coast. He hadn’t said it, but Em knew that the break-up had been hard for Bas. He’d thrown himself into passing the bar and then into his cases.

His focus had yet to sway from his career and for the first time Em wondered if her friend might be missing some of the other things in life. Casper was still young for anything serious, but Deacon was married with a kid and Nick was eve with someone. He might not have been a aware of it, but he was getting left behind. If there was anything she knew, it was that Bas was the wife, three kids and some dogs type if there ever was one. He just needed the right girl to come into the picture.

It struck Em that this weekend might be the one he’d meet said girl. She’d drawn up the guest list for this party herself and she knew for a fact that plenty of his parent’s friends would be attending the party. There had to be a single daughter or friend amongst them. With a little discreet help Bas could cross paths with someone, find out they had things and common and get his love life back on track. If getting Bas with someone was as simple as sticking to his side at the party and introducing him to the right people, then she could handle that. As an added bonus, if her focus was on showing him off, then she would be a thousand less times likely to feel like crap watching Nick with his new girlfriend. It was that thought that sealed the deal. Operation Set Up Sebastian was now officially on her agenda.

End Notes:

As always thank you for taking the time to read what my imagination spits out.

Chapter 4 by Jamey_St_Peters

It took a little convincing, but Bas got Em to let him buy lunch for her while they were still in town. With the weather being so nice they sat outside on the patio watching traffic pass by. The summer season hadn’t start yet in True Falls, but there was still a nice flow of people out and about. Em kept an eye on every single female that passed, taking each one into consideration for her friend. Since Bas didn’t have a particular type of woman he seemed attracted to, the possibilities seemed endless even as she eliminated the ones who were too old or had rings on their left hands. She had never truly realized the variety there was when it came to women. And that was just on looks alone. Some guys might be satisfied with just a pretty face, but Bas would need more.

On the ride back to the house Em wondered if she’d bitten off more than she could chew. Dating was one thing she’d never been too keen on. Since she’d always tended to be skittish around new people dating people she didn’t know beforehand had been disastrous. Her two most serious boyfriends had been the older brother of her college roommate and a former childhood friend. If Bas didn’t find someone that interested him within their inner circle, she had to admit that she would be at a loss as to where to look next. Hopefully luck would be on her side at this party.

Bas reached over and nudged his friend to get her attention as they pulled up to the house. A small sedan with its trunk open was parked our front. Em recognized what the rental’s presence meant just as the man himself walked down the steps of the house back to the car. A flutter of excitement hit her stomach as the SUV drew closer and Nick caught her eye thru the car window.

Three years hadn’t change him much. His sandy colored hair was cut differently, allowing his sharp features to take center stage. His full lips curved into a grin that reached eyes the color of stormy skies and revealing slight dimples on either cheek. Just as tall as Bas, Nick had the lithe body of a swimmer, long toned limbs and slim waist and shoulders that were broad and distinct. In a simple blue polo and khakis he still looked as though he’d just stepped off the cover of Aristocratic Living.

Bas hadn’t even got the car into park and Nick was at Em’s door opening it. Mischief in his eye, he drew her out of her seat by the hand.  “Well look who is sexier than ever.”

A blush warmed her cheeks as she thanked him for the compliment. Em then laughed as he used his grip on her hand to induce her to give him a twirl. The hair that Gayle had painstakingly straightened fanned out beautifully then swung back into  place. After treating her to a few more comments of appreciation, he pulled her into an embrace.The smell of woods, soap and a hint of lemon was pure Nick. As she hugged him she couldn’t help but to beam. He still had the ability to make her feel like she was the most gorgeous woman in the world.

Drawing back Nick smiled down at her and searched her face. Warmth clearly reflected on his face, just as it always did when he’d done so before. She knew he was drinking her in and did nothing to stop him. Nick opened his mouth to comment, but never got to voice his opinion.

“Hey bro.” Em turned towards Bas’ voice. Somehow he’d managed to turn off the SUV and come around to her side without her even noticing. For a moment she could have sworn that annoyance marred his face, but Nick was grabbing him in a bear hug too soon for her to be sure.

As different as they were, the duo buzzed with affection. Em knew that between e-mail, phone, fax and text the Beckenbach brothers constantly remained in contact. Of the four of them Nick and Bas were by far the closest. They were just shy of two years apart and up until Nick’s relocation had shared most everything, including an apartment. Em had never heard either of them say so, but Nick’s move had been hard on both of them.

Closing her door, Em started to get bags out of the backseat as Bas asked Nick about their flight. She didn’t even get the bags off the seat before one of the brothers moved her aside and they began unloading without her. Juggling his bags into one arm, Nick threw the other around Em’s shoulders and drew her along to the house.

Nick called out for Cady as they entered the foyer and a moment later she appeared at the top of the staircase. Em didn’t know what she expected, but the woman who came bounding down the stairs wasn’t it. Nick tended to date the same kind of girl. Tall, brunette and thin was practically his signature. Cady was petite with hair dyed different tones of blond and Marilyn Monroe curvy. In a khaki skirt and navy t-shirt, she was the perfect match for Nick. As soon as she made it to the bottom of the stairs, Nick left Em’s side to take Cady’s hand. Her pretty face was lit up with enthusiasm as Nick introduced her. “Cady, this is Emery and my brother Sebastian. Guys, the sunshine of my life, Cady.”

“It’s so nice to finally meet you!” Em found herself being hugged before she could even react. In the next beat, Cady had moved to hug Bas. Both she and Bas exchanged a look of surprise over Cady’s head. Nick laughed as Cady drew back to his side. “Sorry, I’m a hugger. It’s just I feel like I know you two already. Nick talks about you all the time.”

Bas managed to recover first. “No it’s fine. He says great things about you too. We’re glad that you could come with him.”

Even though it was Bas that spoke, Em felt Cady waiting for her to respond. “We’re sorry that we weren’t here to meet you, we went into town to run some errands and have lunch.”

“We just got here ourselves. Cady wanted to stop in town, but I dragged her up here to unload our stuff first.” Nick gazed down at his girlfriend adoringly.

In the time she’d known him and seen him with various women, she’d never seen Nick look at one like that. She felt something, but she had no idea what exactly it was off hand. Rather than obsessing, Em latched onto the opening he gave her to do something she didn’t have to think about. “Did you need something from town? If we don’t have it here, I could run and get it for you?”

Cady shook her head. “No, it’s nothing you can get for me. Nick didn’t tell me what the dress code was for this party you’re throwing. I brought a dress, but thought maybe there might be a dress shop in town or something if I needed some more options.”

Nick chimed in. “Hey maybe you and Cady can go into town and do some shopping. Em knows pretty much everything there is about True Falls. She could probably help you find what you’re looking for.”

Three pairs of eyes settled on Em waiting for her to answer. Her mind raced for a legit reason to say no, but nothing was appearing. Just as she was getting ready to commit just to move the attention away from her, Bas spoke up. “I thought you and Libby were going to take Mom shopping in the morning. You know so she could get a dress for the party?”

Em could have kissed Bas for the out that he’d provided. “Yeah! We were taking Catherine shopping in the morning. If you can wait til then, you can come with us and we can shop together.”

“That would be great!”

Pushing a grin of her own onto her face, Em nodded. Once again Bas jumped in to save her. “Hey, we’re going to put this stuff away. Why don’t you guys unpack and then we can decide what to do while we wait for everyone else to show up?”

Nick and Cady agreed that sounded fine and headed back upstairs to their room. Once they were out of earshot, Em turned to her friend prepared to share her appreciation. Before she could, Bas announced that he was going to put his stuff away, leaving her alone in the foyer.

End Notes:

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments. You guys amaze me, truly.

Chapter 5 by Jamey_St_Peters
Author's Notes:

So I'm sick. Stupid allergies and sinuses. It makes it easier to think of stuff cos all I can do is lay around, but hard to actually do any work because my abilities to stay upright are crazy taxed. But onward we go!

Someone was pissed.

At least that was the conclusion Em came to as another screech came from the front rooms. As she sat in the library waiting for Nick, Cady and Bas to finish unpacking, she’d heard the front door open. The first of a series of screams had echoed down the hall seconds later, announcing that her goddaughter Rosy was not happy. As Em closed in on the sound, the decibels increased until she came to a frazzled looking Libby holding her daughter in one arm while trying to extract an object from the baby bag hanging from her opposite shoulder.

Em opened her mouth to offer her friend some help, but feet sounded on the stairs and Nick beat her to it. Within moments, he’d swooped his niece out of her mother’s arms and cradled her against his chest. As soon as he began to coo down at  the infant, her screams began to quiet and with a few hiccups stopped. Em didn’t know what was funnier; that Nick’s touch extending to females in diapers or the clear look of relief on Libby’s face. Calling it a draw, she stepped forward and said hello to her friend with a quick hug.

Libby had only been the mother of an infant for three and a half months and she’d transformed in that time. When Em had first seen Libby, she’d thought her plain. Long red hair, a face where her eyes were too big for her nose and dwarfed by her mouth. She’d seemed tall, awkward and gawky and for the life of her, Em had no idea why Deacon, an admitted skirt chaser, had brought the girl home for the summer his junior year. But then she’d gotten a chance to know the younger woman as she spent time around the house and just like a rose she bloomed.

By the time Deacon had proposed, Em considered his future bride one of her closest friends. She’d been in their wedding and when they’d found out that they were having a baby she’d been thrilled to have Libby ask her to be godmother. She hadn’t thought it possible, but having her friend bestow the honor had made them even closer. She could take anything to Libby and get help. Which was exactly what she intended to do once they were alone.

The two younger Beckenbach siblings came trudging in with suitcases and bags in hand as Bas descended from upstairs. All at once, it was officially a Beckenbach holiday. All four brothers were making noise. Deacon was gripping about how much his wife had brought; Casper ordered him to move out of the doorway as Nick continued appeasing his niece and Bas tried to offer his help. All were talking at once, none were listening to the other and it wasn’t until Em let out an earsplitting whistle that the streams of conversations all came to a halt.

Before the shock could wear off, Em sent Nick and baby Rosy into the living room, told Deacon to hand over some bags to Nick and then for the brothers to get the bags to their rooms.Used to Em’s charge taking, and quietly grateful for it, they all moved to follow her directives. Soon she and Libby here left standing in the foyer alone. The latter made sure that her brother-in-law and daughter were out of earshot before grabbing her friend’s hand and quietly demanding “So what’s she like?”

There was no question who the ‘she’ in question was. Libby had been the first one to call and tell her that Nick was bringing home a ‘friend’ for the party. She’d had enough experience of her own in Nick speech to know what that translated to.

“Blond, pretty and not a stick figure.”

Libby’s brown eyes doubled in size. “No way. Do you mean that Nick actually brought home a respectable normal girl?”

“Shocking isn’t it?”

“And how are you? Upset?” Her friend scrutinized her face carefully for any signs of emotion.

“I’m fine. I’ve got a project, but we’ll have to talk later.” Casper came thundering down the staircase. Stepping away from Libby, Em found herself being scooped into a hug by the younger man. They hadn’t seen each other since Casper had come home for Christmas break, so it was good to see the man she considered to be her younger brother.

Habit prompted her to ask him if he was hungry and Casper grinned. The fourteen year old she’d dropped off at the freshman dance twinkled at her, playing his charm card. It didn’t matter that Cas was over six foot, a year away from his degree in Political Science and able to drink. The youngest of the brothers, Casper had been associated with most of her responsibilities when she’d started the job. In between giving him rides to school, picking him up from lacrosse practice and everything in between, they’d bonded tightly. His brother’s liked to tease Casper he was ‘Emmy’s baby’, but neither he nor she were ashamed. Her baby was hungry and her feet were already in motion for the kitchen.

Soon as the fridge door opened, the others found their ways to the kitchen like moths to a flame. Em felt sorry for Cady as she was the last to appear in a room full of Backenbach curiosity. As the introductions were made Em could see Cady sizing up the siblings for their similarities. Nick and Cas shared their mother’s blondness; Deacon and Bas had the same eyes and all four brothers loomed over her small stature. To her credit, the other woman smiled the entire time though her nervousness was clear. Even so when Em announced that sandwiches were ready, relief clearly reflected on her face as the brothers abandoned their position in order to eat. An easy smile of reassurance was what she gave in response before distracting herself by asking what everyone wanted to do with the rest of their day.

When Nick suggested they all take Cady on a hike and show her the highlights of the property Em was surprised when that itinerary was set with no real debate. They had several hours before the rest of their party would be there, so killing it outdoors in the sun sounded fine to her but Bas hated outdoorsy activities. Instead of saying anything, he stayed seated at the kitchen counter, saying nothing. When Nick had asked if it was okay with him, Bas had simply given a shrug of indifference. Libby noticed it too, exchanging a look Em wordlessly before suggesting that maybe he wanted to stay at the house with the baby while everyone else hiked. Bas was crazy about Rosy and usually the suggestion of him even holding her would have been met with enthusiasm, but he simply agreed that would be fine.

As everyone split to quickly change for hiking, Em thought she’d take a moment to see if Bas was fine. Before she could even get the chance, he’d taken Rosy from the room like the hounds of hell were nipping at his feet leaving his friend to wonder was there something wrong with him.

End Notes:

Thanks for all the comments and just reading something I'm doing. I <3 you guys.

Chapter 6 by Jamey_St_Peters

As she lay in her bed that night, Em wondered just what she was missing. If there was one thing that Em didn’t need the night before a big party, it was insomnia. Unfortunately her mind wasn’t cooperating with that idea at all. The hike that afternoon had been one of those endorphin raising sessions that should have had her sleeping like a rock. Instead she’d been laying here sleepless thinking about dinner.

The meal  had been a group effort, all of them crowded in the kitchen working together as the radio blared. The mixture of wine and music had led to Nick, Cas and Deacon spinning she, Libby and Cady across the floor. Bas had wordlessly watched leaning against the fridge, his expression unreadable. When she’d tried to get him to join in, he’d given her the weirdest look before shaking his head no. Seconds later Deacon declared that the chicken was ready, signaling that it was time for the meal to start.

It wasn’t until they started to sit down that Em realized what might have her friend thrown. She watched as Bas’s reaction as his brother pulled out his wife’s chair for her across the table. The longing that their intimacy triggered was in his eyes. She saw it again when Nick did the same for Cady. Nick might not have realized it but he obviously wanted someone special in his life that he could do that for. She just had to think of the right woman and everything would fall into place.

So far no one had jumped out to her. Bas was so amazing in his own right that not just any woman would do for him. Her friend needed someone who wold get him. And not just the outside him, the senator’s son with a law degree who was going places in corporate law. He needed someone who would understand that family was super important to him and someone who thought it was cute that he would lose his glasses on top of his head all the time. Someone who would tease him when he was feeling down. There had to be someone she was missing that could do all of that for him.

After over an hour tossing in turning in her bed, she got out of the bed and fled to the study. Using the remote to fire up the fireplace, she curled up onto the soft leather with an afghan and watched the flames as her thoughts played out.

Tiffany Brittan. She was gorgeous, but as dumb as cardboard. Caroline Prentiss was a lawyer like Bas, but she had that weird nasally voice. Jules Reese? Gillian Tolliver? Marla Luis?

In her head Em scanned the list of guests that had RSVP-ed for any potentials she had missed, but found none. 50 women single and ready to mingle among the guests they were expecting and not one of them seemed to be suited for Bas. She’d been so positive that at least one or two prospects would emerge. Since that wasn’t the case, she was going to have to move on to plan B. Contingent on her figuring out just was plan B was exactly.

“What are you doing down here? Shouldn’t you be in bed?”

Em recognized the voice immediately but it took her eyes a moment to adjust in the dim light. Nick’s concerned features peered over the side of the couch at her. “Couldn’t sleep. Came down to watch the fire.”

“Something on your mind Emery?” He rounded the side of the couch and lowered his body at the opposing end of the sofa facing his friend. “I can be a decent listener when I need to be.”

Amusement kissed a gentle smile onto her lips. Shaking her head, she shifted to a comfortable sitting position. “It’s not anything important. I was just sitting here thinking about Bas.”

His blond eyebrows lifted in surprise. “You’re sitting here thinking about my brother?”

“I just was thinking of introducing him to a few girls tomorrow at the party. He can be so serious and focused on work. He needs to have a little fun, loosen up.”

“Okay.”

“The problem is not one woman coming is... well Bas.?” Nick’s face blanked of expression, which she took as him not understanding. “I mean none of them really seem his type. So then I’ve tried thinking what Bas goes for and I can’t really come up with a type. But you, you would know right? I mean you’re brothers, you’re best friends. Tell me.”

“What does Bas go for?” The question seemed to confuse him if he face was any indication.

“Yeah.”

“You can’t think of anyone you know who would be right for my brother?”

“Why did you say it like that?”

“Didn’t you ever wonder why nothing ever happened between us? Why we flirt, well I flirt, and yet I never asked you out or tried anything?” Nick saw that she was completely clueless as to what he was saying. “I love my brother. And I cut my heart out for him.”

Nick’s eyes locked onto hers and a conversation with not a single syllable passed between them. Tears filled her vision as soon as Em realized what he was saying to her. She could feel the blood draining from her face as her heart began to sink in her chest. Things started to click into place one by one. Sebastian’s moods, the weird waves of tension, “I... didn’t see...”

“I’m not telling you to make you feel bad. I’m telling you because you need to do something. If you want him, tell him. But if you don’t, well then you got to let him go. Maybe he’ll meet someone else like I did. Maybe he won’t. But he won’t do anything until you do.”

Her stomach clenched as her mind worked thru what he was saying to her. How often had she gone crying to Bas when the situation with Nick had left her heart bruised? Millions? And every time he’d felt the same about her? Em couldn’t imagine the pain he must have shouldered just to be a good friend to her, all the while waiting for her to see him. She’d been too self involved to see it, not even once. How could she have missed this? Why hadn’t he said anything to get rid of her, of the pain she had to inflict on him?

Nick must have seen the devastation on her face, but with he moved to comfort her Em jumped from the couch and out of his reach. Shaking her head, she rejected the sympathy. Running the back of her hand against her wet cheek, she paused and took a deep breath. “Could you just leave me alone?”

Nick frowned, but didn’t move.

“Please.”

He must have heard the desperation in her voice because this time he stood. Giving her one last long look, Nick walked out of the room, drawing the doors closed behind him. Alone again Em stumbled to the couch and dropped down onto the cushion just as sobs overtook her.

Chapter 7 by Jamey_St_Peters
Author's Notes:

Again thank you thank you thank you for the comments. I appreciate you guys for reading what I write period, let alone giving me feedback. So the story goes on...

Sunlight blazed in the front window of Sinclair’s Dress Shop warming the chairs that sat by the view of Main Street. People strolled by the shop in droves, taking advantage of the clear sky while they lasted. Inside the store women searched the racks of formal and cocktail dresses, their conversations filling the open space. The only person not shopping or chatting was Em as she sat in one of the chairs staring off into the distance.

Last night had been one of the worst nights she could recall. After Nick saying what he had to her, she couldn’t stop thinking about Bas. How could she have been so blind to how he was pining over her? The times she’d run to him to cry on his shoulder about Nick and how unfair it was that he didn’t see her made want to kick herself. In all sense of the word Bas had been a true friend and she’d been the most painful thing in his life for who knew how long.

It hadn’t taken her long to conclude that this couldn’t go on any longer. She’d made a decision amidst all of her tears, but it wasn’t one that she relished. Her instincts screamed that there were other options, but she’d stubbornly resolved that ending this was the only fair thing to do for Bas. Doubts and what ifs clouded her every thought, but this was what it was.

Having made her decision had been hard. Spending time with everyone knowing what she was going to do was excruciating. She’d uncharacteristically languished over showering and getting ready that morning just to put off joining the group as long as possible. She’d gotten lucky in that by the time she’d descended the staircase Deacon, Nick, Bas and Cas had dragged their father out for a round of golf. The shopping expedition they had planned for the morning was the only thing on their agenda until the party later. Just thinking about how the day was going to stretch out made her heart ache, but Em attempted to put on a sunny face.

Thank God for Cady. She’d turned out to be a sunshine tornado. It was as if she’d sensed the void of excitement coming from Em and doubled her own in order to supplement. She and Libby had commandeered this expedition to find dresses, leaving Em to sit with the stroller as Rosy napped.

“Emery?” Em turned as she realized her name was being called. Catherine Beckenbach stood in front of her radiant in an ivory gown even though her features reflected her concern for the younger woman. It took a moment for Em to process that her employer had asked what she thought of the dress. For the first time that morning, Em’s smile was a genuine one as she praised the choice. Satisfied, Catherine turned to the saleswoman waiting and let her know that she’d take it. As the associate began to babble on about accessories, Catherine and Libby followed behind her but Cady remained. Em noticed the other woman was holding a hanger with a look of apprehension. Recognizing that she wanted to say something, Em gave Cady an smile of encouragement.

“I saw this one and thought maybe you wanted to try it?” Cady lifted the hanger. A confection of chiffon, the dress was a bright emerald green. A consummate fan of the little black dress, Em would have never picked the dress for herself. Cady immediately picked up on her apprehension. “Trying it on won’t kill you. Just come on.”

Rather than arguing, Em stood and took the hanger from Cady as she told her that she’d stay with the baby. Once in the confines of a dressing room Em shed her khakis and t shirt and removed the dress from the hanger. It went on easily enough and for the first time in a while, Em didn’t have her usual struggle at her bust or hips when she pulled the garment over her head. She couldn’t reach the zipper, so she called out for Cady. A second later, the other woman’s feet appeared at the bottom of the stall’s door. Em turned and pulled the door open.

“Oh my God.”

“I need help zipping up.”

“Of course. Turn around.” Em did as ordered and settled her gaze on her reflection in the mirror. “Oh Em, you have to buy this dress.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really.”

“It’s too short.” The hem fluttered playfully inches above her knees.

“It’s sexy. I wish I was as va-va-voom as you are.” Em had to admit that the sweetheart neck of the dress accented the abundance of cleavage she usually cursed. And the color wasn’t the worst tone against her skin. As she turned, the material floated around her then settled. Even from the side and and back the dress did her figure justice. Em bit her bottom lip as she debated with herself. “No one who sees you in this dress will ever forget it.”

Em didn’t know why, but it was that statement that sold her on getting the dress. It was probably selfish but tonight the one thing she needed to be was unforgettable. “I guess I have something to wear tonight then.”

After they left the dress shop they returned to the house for lunch. Once the meal was done, Catherine took her granddaughter outside for some quality time. Left alone, Cady and Libby wrangled Em into spending time with them giving themselves manicures and flipping through magazines. The time with them gave Em a reprieve from her heavier thoughts. She found herself admitting that she knew what Nick saw in Cady. Besides being bubbly, she really seemed to have a sense of who she was and what she wanted. Em envied that about her. She knew given the time, Cady would probably become a close friend.

The guys came home around five, the noise of their arrival finding it’s way up the stairs even before any of them did. Em had thankfully retreated to her own room under the guise that she was going to start getting ready. They were supposed to arrive at the restaurant at seven sharp but with so many people to get ready, she had no doubt that they’d probably run late.

With all the planning she’d done, all the details she’d worked out, Em had to admit that she didn’t feel prepared at all for tonight to finally be here. Tonight Catherine and James would be surrounded by all the friends and family that loved them to celebrate their commitment to each other for the past thirty-five years. The excitement she’d felt earlier had been replaced by anxiousness. She’d managed to avoid Bas the entire day, but once she left her room, there would be no avoiding him. Of all of the people she would have  ever thought she’d be nervous about being near, Bas had never even crossed her mind as being on that list. Now he had her seriously considering faking sick in order to avoid making a complete fool of herself.

The only reason she didn’t do so was because she knew she owed it to the Beckenbachs to be there. They’d been so amazing allowing her to be a part of their family for the past few years, so it wasn’t too much to ask that she be there smiling and happy for this last party. Tonight would be about helping them celebrate this occasion and tomorrow... she’d tell them that she was resigning. Effective immediately.

Chapter 8 by Jamey_St_Peters
Author's Notes:

The end is nigh

“Ladies and Gentlemen, can I have your attention please? If everyone could take a seat, I’d like to say a few words.”

Em turned in her chair towards the stage where Nick stood. The party room tittered with sounds of the friends and family who had gathered to surprise the Beckenbachs. Almost two hours earlier, they’d yelled ‘Surprise!’ to the unsuspecting couple and since then Em had been on her feet working the room and avoiding the seat next to Bas she was supposed to occupy. He’d finally gotten up from the table and she’d pounced. Now that she’d taken a moment to sit down, Nick had decided to give his speech. Any other time she might have made a sprint for the bathroom, but she’d made the mistake of wearing new heels. They looked killer, but her feet were threatening mutiny if she didn’t stay put. Assuring herself that if she kept her focus on Nick and her back to Bas’ chair, she’d be fine until she could hobble into hiding again.

When enough people had gotten seated Nick sent a beam around the room. Em had to say he looked handsomer and happier than she’d ever remembered seeing him before. Love truly did suit him. As if he could hear his friend’s thoughts, Nick gave Cady a quick wink before continuing.

“I wanted to thank everyone for coming tonight o help us celebrate my parent’s anniversary. When you have something as huge and amazing as thirty-five years of love and marriage to celebrate you want to do it justice. I couldn’t possibly do that with just words, but I’m do have a story I want to tell. When I was fifteen they put me in a Family Life class. My teacher gave us an assignment once. He told us to go and ask one of our parents what they thought marriage was and to write about their answer. Mom was out of town at a conference, so I asked my dad. He made one of his lame jokes at first, you’ve all heard one of those right? But then he said something that I’ve never forgotten. ‘Marriage is waking up next to your best friend and knowing no matter where life is going to take you, the day will be survivable because they’re beside you.’” Nick paused to retrieve a champagne flute before continuing. “My mom and dad committed themselves to sharing their days with each other for better or for  worse. There have been some bad days, but the good ones far out number those. So I want to toast my parents, who have survived with each other. Good days, bad days, it doesn’t matter. May they all be days where you’re by each other’s side.”

Raising her own flute along with everyone else, Em took a deep swig of the flavorful champagne. The band she’d hired launched into their next set. Guests flooded the dance floor moving along to the popular Sinatra tune. She smiled as she caught sight of Catherine and James on the floor swaying along. The night was going beautifully for them. And from the looks of Cady, Nick, Deacon and Libby theirs weren’t going so badly either. Habit had her looking for the remaining two Beckenbachs and she immediately spotted Casper coming towards her. When he was close enough he invited her to dance with him, extending a hand to his friend. Pausing long enough to down the remaining contents of her flute, she stood and placed her hand in his.

As Frank crooned Casper pulled Em close and began to sway along rhythmically. She couldn’t help but to feel her somber mood lighten as Casper’s own uplifted spirit radiated onto her. As he moved to give her a twirl, an outright laugh burst from her. Only when he began to draw her back to him did she stop short at seeing Bas approaching over his brother’s shoulder. Immediately her eyes dropped down to the front of Casper’s suit. She’d done a pretty respectable job of avoiding him all day, ducking out of the way every time she even thought he was coming. From the grip Casper had on her hand, she knew that if she tried to make a run from him it would only result in some type of disaster, so she stood there hoping he hadn’t noticed who his brother’s dance partner was.

All hope of that being the case flashed away as Bas’s deep voice requested to cut in. Em knew Casper too well to think that he would object to handing her over to her older brother. Even as Bas finished the request, Casper was loosening the hold he had on her and stepping away. Her brain raced to think of an excuse, anything to get her away before he touched her. Lifting her eyes, Em immediately realized she’d made a mistake. His gaze held her in place as he stepped into place and pulled her into his embrace. When she made no immediate move, Bas patiently took one hand in his and maneuvered her other to his shoulder.

The band launched into another tune and as Bas began to lead them thru the dance steps, Em found herself taking a good hard look at the man holding her. The navy suit did everything to accentuate his broad shoulders and the white of his shirt set off his skin tone. The gray tie he wore, she recognized as a gift from her, only made the green of his eyes all that more apparent. Once she was gone, once he got pass his feelings, she knew other women would flood his way. A pang at the thought of him being gone hit her.

“So I owe you an apology.” Confusion at his words must have appeared in her expression. “I’ve been a moody jerk this weekend. Didn’t mean to take it out on you.”

“You didn’t. I mean you weren’t one.”

“Yes I was. It’s why you’ve been running off like a scared rabbit every time you see me. And I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.”

“No it’s not. You’re my best friend Emmy and treating you like that wasn’t cool. I would never want to hurt you-” Bas stopped as tears began to cloud him from Em’s vision. She began to pull away, unable to stop herself from starting to cry. “Emmy?”

The nickname that only he’d ever dared to use was too much. Tugging her hand free from his, Em turned and started to run from the room. She bumped into people as  she tried to get to the bathroom, ignoring Bas calling after her. His voice had ceased once she got the hallway outside the party room, so Em thought he’d given up. She should have known better when a large hand caught hold of her arm and Bas turned her to face him. “Emmy, please, I’m sorry.”

Tears streaming down her face, Em shook away his repeated apology. “It’s not that.”

“Then what? What’s wrong?”

“Nick told me.”

End Notes:

Just not yet.

Chapter 9 by Jamey_St_Peters

Of the reactions she’d expected, the last thing she expected Bas to do was grin. It was one with an edge, but still a grin. “Of course he did.”

“I never wanted to hurt you. Talking about Nick and how I felt all this time, it must have been torture for you.”  Fresh tears streaked down. “You’ve been so great to me and I’ve done nothing but ignore what you were feeling.”

“Hey, I was there too. I didn’t say anything because I was scared to. I thought having you as a friend was better than telling you and then not having you in my life at all.”

“You don’t mean that.”

“I do. I’m crazy about you Em and I would give anything to know you felt the same way about me, but even if you didn’t, I’ll settle for you just being my friend.”

God love him, he was lying right to her face, even if he didn’t know it. Em brought a hand to his cheek. “You shouldn’t have to settle.”

“So maybe I won’t.”

Em didn’t have time to think what his soft reply meant because in the next second he’d dipped his head to hers and brushed their lips together. Electric shocks ran from her lips to fry every thought of objection to having Bas kiss her. Em’s eyes fluttered close as sunshine lit her from the inside out. That was the only way to describe the love and warmth coming from him into her. Sunshine.

It was Bas who ended the kiss and as soon as he pulled away from her, Em regretted the loss of his warmth. Willing her eyes to open, her eyelids drew up slowly revealing Bas’ trepidatious expression. How could such a wonderful amazing man like him be afraid that someone like her wouldn’t want his kisses. Her hand had drifted down to rest on the front of his shirt and thru the fabric she could feel his heartbeat. He was waiting for her to say something. She could feel it just as surely as she could feel his heart pounding.

“Ask me to stay.”

Bas didn’t even pause to consider the request. “Stay with me please.”

Even though she’d asked for it, hearing those four words were more than enough for her. Wrapping herself around him in a hug, Em sighed as Bas settled a kiss on the top of her head. They had so much to talk about, so much to work out, but for now she didn’t want to do anything else but just be with him. “Sebastian?”
He made a noise of response that she heard reverberate in his chest. “I’m sorry it took so long for me to get here.”

He chuckled and squeezed his arms around her just a little tighter. “You were worth the wait.”

End Notes:

Thanks for all the support and comments and patience. I can't even begin to tell you what it means to me.

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=1605