Our Story by carolinaheart
Summary:

banner

One night, an accident and seven years that never happened. At least, he doesn't remember them happening. 

 

*Banner by me, carolinaheart (it's my first try).

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Family, Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: Yes Word count: 75229 Read: 168877 Published: 29/10/11 Updated: 23/12/11
Story Notes:

 

I’m reworking a story I wrote as a Grey’s Anatomy fanfiction. Good news, the story and plot are pretty much done. Bad news, reworking means going through every chapter and editing and changing characters and places etc. Why is that bad news? I’m not very good at actually finishing stories in a timely manner. Good news for you, if you are dying to know where the story is going, you can always read the original on fanfiction. Bad news for me, you can always read the original on fanfiction. Anyway, we’re going to give this a shot because I enjoyed writing this the first time around. 

 

1. Characters by carolinaheart

2. Sick Joke by carolinaheart

3. And so it begins by carolinaheart

4. Last names only by carolinaheart

5. Bowling by carolinaheart

6. February 14 by carolinaheart

7. Dinner Party by carolinaheart

8. Because of a Bet by carolinaheart

9. Date One by carolinaheart

10. Date Two by carolinaheart

11. Date Three by carolinaheart

12. Fireworks by carolinaheart

13. Hannah by carolinaheart

14. Old Friend by carolinaheart

15. Apologies by carolinaheart

16. Thanksgiving by carolinaheart

17. Home for the Holidays by carolinaheart

18. Still Home for the holidays by carolinaheart

19. New Year by carolinaheart

20. February 14, take two by carolinaheart

21. Everybody loves a Wedding by carolinaheart

22. Happy Birthday by carolinaheart

23. Ellos les encantan una boda by carolinaheart

24. Boxes and desks by carolinaheart

25. 72, 48 by carolinaheart

26. 24 and counting by carolinaheart

27. Sunday Morning by carolinaheart

28. Without a Hitch by carolinaheart

29. Rachel by carolinaheart

30. Family Christmas by carolinaheart

31. Unexpected by carolinaheart

32. Twins by carolinaheart

33. Spectator by carolinaheart

34. Lonely Nights and Quiet Mornings by carolinaheart

35. Try by carolinaheart

Characters by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

These are just the begining characters. More willbe added as the story progresses. 

Deidre

Deidre James

Scott

Dr. Scott Walker

 

The Friends

Emi

Emi

Dr. Emilia Rodriguez

 

Rebecca

Becca

Dr. Rebecca Long

 

Miguel

Miguel Sanchez 

 

The Simon Family

simon family

 

The James Family

james family

 

The Collins Ladies

Collins Ladies

End Notes:

And here we go...

 

Sick Joke by carolinaheart

 

Scott Walker awoke to the sound of hospital monitors and a couple of whispering voices. He tried to get up, but even the initial move of his muscles caused him pain. He could make out two shadowy figures standing at the foot of his bed. One was a female with dark shoulder length hair who stood a few inches shorter than the blurred man next to her. 

Despite his blurry vision, Scott could make out a few details of each figure. The man wore standard blue hospital issued scrubs with a white lab jacket and the woman was dressed in black pinstriped slacks and a white blouse with a large floppy black bow.

"How is he?" The question came from the woman.

"We won't be sure how bad the damage is until he wakes up. The good news is that he hasn’t slipped into a coma," answered the male figure.

 "Well, how long until he wakes up?"

 "It could be a couple of more hours, or it could be…" A groan from the patient in question interrupted the conversation.

Scott fully opened his eyes. As his vision began to clear, he started to recognize his surroundings. He was in a hospital, Seattle Regional to be precise. The white lab coat the doctor, the male figure standing in the room, wore had “SRH” stamped onto the chest pocket.

The doctor, who was currently shining a light into Scott’s eyes, was the hospital’s top neurosurgeon and his colleague, Chase English. Off to the side stood Deidre James; she was the newest of the hospital’s attorneys. She looked distressed but at the same time relieved; Scott could not figure out why. It was almost like she had come close to loosing her best friend.

"How do you feel Scott?" Chase asked putting the light into his jacket pocket.

"My chest is sore,” Scott moved slightly in an effort to make himself more comfortable, “okay it hurts, but not as much as my head. My head hurts.” Scott said putting his right hand to his head. “It hurts a lot.”

"Yeah, well that's what happens when the airbags misfire and your head crashes into a steering wheel. You’re actually pretty lucky. Though they didn’t deploy fully, the airbags kept you from being in worse shape than you’re already in." Chase said.

"What do you mean, 'crashes into a steering wheel'? What are you talking about" Scott asked confused.

"Scott, you were in a car accident last night." Deidre finally said breaking her prolonged silence. She moved closer to the bed and took his left hand into both of hers. "You were unconscious when they brought you to the hospital two nights ago"

Scott looked at Deidre; she was tightly gripping his hand. He was baffled by her actions; he clearly remembered Deidre informing him that she did not have romantic relationships with coworkers.

"James, are you okay?" Scott asked.

Deidre was taken aback by his tone and the use of her last name. It was as if he was insinuating she was behaving strangely. "I'm perfectly fine Scott. Why?"

"Well for one thing, you're holding my hand. After what you said, when you left with Emi, I think this crosses some sort of line. Don't you think?" Scott explained.

Deidre looked at Chase and shook her head. She then let go of his hand. Defeated, she sat down in the chair furthest from the bed.

"Scott, what is the last thing you remember?" Chase asked.

"I walked out of the hospital and I was on my way to Joe's to crash Emi and James's girl night when I heard a car accident happen down the street."

Chase looked over at Deidre and she shrugged her shoulders.

"What else do you remember from that day?" Chase asked.

"Why do you keep asking about ‘that day’ like it was awhile ago. It was just a couple of days ago, right?” Scott asked.

“Could you just answer the question?” Chase pushed for an answer.

Scott took a minute before he started to describe a memorable moment from the day. “Yeah, two days ago,” he said putting strong emphasis on the words ‘two days ago’ before he continued  “was your first day James. You got the Lewis family to drop the case against the hospital. I don’t know how you did it. You were ruthless, but you were so nice about it. Watching the whole thing was sickeningly sweet.”

"Do you remember anything else?" inquired Chase.

Scott shook his head.

Chase looked at Deidre sympathetically. Deidre tried to remain composed, but she was failing miserably. Looking at her, Scott could see the woman’s world crashing down around her and he was not sure why.

"That was seven years ago, Scott." Chase explained.

It was Scott's turn to feel out of place. “This is some sick joke right?” He asked looking from one face to the other. Scott used his left hand to wipe his eyes as if he were trying to get something out of them. He then looked away from the two disappointed people and down at his hands. He noticed the silver band on his left ring finger; it was hard not to. Scott stared at the offending piece of jewelry confused. He looked over to Deidre, who was watching him intently.

Deidre stood up and walked back to him and stood by his side. She played with her own wedding rings. "We've been married for five years Scott."

 

And so it begins by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

So the next two chapters were originally supposed to only be one. But I needed to break it up so it flowed.

 

The following morning Scott sat quietly in his hospital bed. He was at a loss for words. After staying through the night, Deidre had finally left fifteen minuets ago to get something to eat. However, it seemed like since his shift started, Chase had been checking in on Scott what felt like every five minuets.

Shaking his head, Scott closed his eyes. Less than 24 hours ago he found out seven years of his life had gone by and he did not remember a thing. From the looks of it, a lot had happened in those seven years. For one he had gotten married. He, Scott Walker, the guy who flirted with almost every woman he laid eyes on, the guy who enjoyed his freedom too damn much to ever consider settling down, got married.

Chase stepped in for the second time in fifteen minuets to see how Scott was doing. Every other time Chase checked on his patient, Scott said nothing. Other than getting up to use the bathroom, he had hardly moved. This time, however, Scott decided it was time to get some information. "So," he said. "I married Ms. James the hospital’s kick-ass lawyer."

"She’s head of legal now and apparently you did," Chase said sitting down in the vacated chair. He looked everywhere but at the just over six-foot man resting in the hospital bed.

"I knew I’d win her over eventually." Scott smirked. "So how did it happen, me winning her over?"

"Honestly I don't know." Chase said.

"You don't know? What do you mean 'you don't know'?"

"Well, you and I aren’t as close as we used to be." Chase said.

Scott just stared at him not quite comprehending what he was saying.

"To be honest, I didn't know who you were married to until last night. You went on vacation then came back wearing a wedding band like it was no big deal."

"Oh." Scott said. "What happened to us?”

Chase was quiet as he thought about what he was going to say.

“So Chase, come on tell me what happened?”

“We are both very ambitious people, you more so than I thought.”

“Chase, we’ve been friends for close to two decades, or we were friends for close to two decades… This whole losing time shit is difficult to work out.” Scott laughed nervously. “Anyway, we wouldn’t have let our careers get in the way of our friendship.”

Chase was quiet, not really knowing what to say. He was ashamed of the way he had behaved in the past; too ashamed to explain to Scott why they were no longer friends.

The two doctors sat in silence a little while longer.

"I see. Well if you can't tell me about my life, tell me about what's been up with you." Scott suggested.

"I got married."

“To anyone I know?” Scott asked.

“No, you don’t know her. Her name’s Heather and we have a three-year-old son.”

"Wow, okay. I don’t really know what to say now.” Scott laughed

"I suggest you ask Ms. James."

"Ask Ms. James what?" Deidre said as she came back from her excursion in search of food.

"I'll come by before you check out, Scott.” Chase said as he made his exit.

"Dr. English thanks." Deidre said to the neurosurgeon before he left the room. She then put two sub sandwiches she brought on the food tray. Before sitting down, she reached for the bed controls, “did you want to sit up a bit?” She asked.

“Sure, but can we take it kind of slow. My shoulder and chest are sore.”

“Of course,” Deidre pushed the button and the back of the bed slowly began to move foreword.

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.” After sitting down, Deidre began to eat her sandwich in silence.

Scott stared at Deidre as he contemplated how he wound up marrying her. She was hot. He rarely dated a woman who was not extremely attractive. But there was definitely something different about her. It was not that she was black; he had dated African American women before. In fact, he dated women from all nationalities; although, he would not really call what he did dating. He continued to stare Deidre down, taking in her features and trying to figure out what made her different.

Deidre was well aware of Scott’s assessment of her, and she was becoming tired of his intense stare. "So what did you want to ask me?"

"I asked Chase about how we ended up together," Scott said.

"Really?" She asked unimpressed.

"I thought maybe he would know, considering we are, or I guess, were best friends,” Scott explained. "But he didn't know that we," Scott moved his finger between the two of them, "were even married."

"Uhuh," Deidre continued to eat her food.

"Who knew that we’re married? I mean did anybody know. I do remember you like your privacy."

Deidre nodded her head and finished swallowing before she responded. "Henry Cooper, the hospital’s head of HR knew and Emi of course.”

“Okay, Cooper I understand. We work at the hospital together, and HR wants to make sure they're covering all of their tracks, even though that makes no sense because we aren’t even in the same department. I mean you’re not even a doctor.” Scott said.

Deidre crossed her arms and stared Scott down.

Scott could see that he had just ticked Deidre off. He may not have known her well, but from what he could tell, he knew he did not want to be on her bad side. “I didn’t mean that as an insult. It’s just that you’re a lawyer and you work in a different department. No conflict of interest is all I’m saying.”

Deidre eased off of her stare-down but her arms remained crossed in a defensive manner.

“Why does Emi know?” Scott asked bringing the conversation back to where he wanted it to go in the first place.

“Emi’s my best friend. Well, she’s our best friend.”

Scott nodded his head in understanding. As they sat in silence, Scott’s stomach rumbled. He silently stared at the other sandwich sitting on the table.

“The only thing that was open was the Subway, so I just got us breakfast subs.” Deidre explained.

Scott cautiously picked the breakfast sub and began to examine the contents.

“Do you think I would poison it?” Deidre asked as she watched him slowly unwrap the sandwich.

Scott did not answer the question. Instead, he decided to show he trusted the woman sitting in the chair next to his bed by taking a large bite out of his sandwich.

The two finished their meal in silence. And a few minuets after they were done, Deidre spoke up again, “it was really my decision.”

“What was your decision?” Scott asked.

 "Keeping our relationship, I guess not so much a secret but just on a need-to-know basis.”

“Oh,” Scott responded. I could not have been okay with that, Scott thought. He was the kind of guy who liked to brag. If he was able to get Deidre into bed at any point, he was sure he had to have told someone. Somebody, other than Emi and the HR guy, had to know of his triumph. That was just the kind of man he was.

“It was more my decision than yours.” Deidre continued. “You could care less whether or not people at the hospital knew. But you already know the reason why I cared. It's the same excuse I used for not going on a date with you the first time you asked; I like to keep who I am at the hospital and in court separate from who I am at home and in my personal life. And it has worked for us."

"And I’m okay with this?” He asked in disbelief.

“As shocking as it may seem to you, and as foreign of a concept of keeping your sex life private has been in the past for you, you agreed to my terms. And it can make life a little interesting.”

“Right,” Scott snorted. “A little interesting? How is it interesting at all if we're not making out in the halls or having sex in your office and empty on-call rooms?" Scott asked semi-seriously.

Deidre smirked and shook her head. “Forever the horny teenager. Flirting is fun. Well you flirt and I ignore you, or you flirt and I have something smart to say. So it’s fun for me either way. Like I said, it makes life more interesting."

"Right," Scott smiled remembering that before this situation, he had been flirting hard with the dark haired, brown-eyed beauty. "How did we end up getting involved then, if you like your personal life and work life not to intermingle? I’m assuming we both still work at the hospital."

"Yes, you still work at the hospital as do I. And we didn't start out dating…

------------------------------------

Scott stood next to Dr. Chase English at the nurse’s station. Chase was going over a patients chart while Scott was discussing his latest conquest, the new surgical nurse.

“So after surgery and post-op, me and the red-head ended up in the on-call room. And she was feisty.”

“Really Scott, don’t you talk about anything else, anything serious?” Chase asked putting the last touches on the chart he was working on.

“You want to talk about something serious? Well what abou the new position opening up? I think I might go for it.”

“What position?”

“The chief of surgery position, that’s the position I’m talking about.” Scott said.

“Really, you are going to go for that position?” Chase asked as the two men began to walk toward the cafeteria.

“Yes, I think I’d be good at it. I’m qualified.”

“I never said you weren’t. It’s just; you’re a plastics guy Scott. It’s what you’re good at.” Chase pushed open the door to the cafeteria and allowed Scott to enter the crowed room first.

“So you’re saying you don’t think I’d be good at being chief because I’m a plastic surgeon.”

“That’s not what I’m saying.”

“That sounds like what you’re saying.” Scott retorted.

“Let’s drop it okay.” Chase suggested.

“Fine we’re dropping it.” Scott said grabbing a tray from the stack.

The two men went through the line in silence. After getting their food, they found a table toward the back of the cafeteria away from the doors.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, Chase attempted to lighten the mood. “So, the new surgical nurse?”

“I thought you wanted to discuss something more serious.” Scott said.

“I did, but the new nurse is hot.”

Scott smirked, “she is isn’t she.”

“Who’s hot?” asked a female voice from behind them.

Chase and Scott turned around at the sound of the voice of their colleague, Dr. Emilia ‘Emi’ Rodriguez. She was a medium build Afro-Latina who could kick either of their asses if she wanted, but she also had a softer side that few saw. Standing next to her in a pair of impossibly high heels, making her taller than Emi, was a square-faced African American woman who wore a no nonsense face. Both men looked Emi’s companion up and down before either responded.

“Hello, Scott who were you talking about?” Emi asked.

“Oh, the new surgical nurse um… what’s her name.”

“Laura, her name is Laura and I had her in my OR this morning. Scott you’re such an ass, always objectifying women. And you’re in collusion with him Dr. English? Even though I don’t really know you, I thought you had a little more class than that.” Emi said shaking her head in disappointment. “Anyway, this is Deidre James, a friend of mine from undergrad.”

“Ms. James, I’m Dr. Scott Walker. It’s very nice to meet you.” Scott said standing up from his chair, extending his hand and laying on the charm.

“And I’m not interested.” Deidre said.

“I’m Chase English. Why don’t you to join us for lunch?”

Emi and Deidre sat down at the table in the two empty chairs.

“What brings you to Seattle Regional?” Scott asked.

“I have a second interview later this afternoon with the legal department.”

“Are you from Seattle?” Scott asked.

“No, I’m from Chicago. I just saw this opportunity and I wanted to take it. I wanted to get away from the windy city.”

“So you come to Seattle instead, home of rain, fog and more rain?” Scott questioned.

“Yeah, well it’s someplace different.”

“Deidre look at the time.” Emi said.

“You’re right, I have to go. It was nice meeting you Dr. English. Dr. Walker, not so much with the whole meeting you being nice thing. Emi I’ll call you later.” Deidre got up and left the table.

Emi sat back in her chair and smiled. “Scott, you blew that one.”

“I didn’t. She’s into me.”

“No, she’s really not. I know Deidre, and right now, you’re getting nowhere fast.” Emi laughed.

“I’d have to agree with Emi. She’s not into you.” Chase smirked as he took a sip of his drink.

 

End Notes:

If you guessed this story was going to be told through flashbacks, then you guessed right. On to the next chapter.

Last names only by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

Kind of short, but here it is...

 

A week later Scott was on the elevator flirting with yet another nurse, this time she had blonde hair. When the elevator stopped, the nurse rolled her eyes and got off and another woman stepped on.

“Well, we meet again.” Scott said.

Deidre looked at the plastic surgeon and rolled her eyes. The man was gorgeous with his blue eyes, salt and pepper hair accompanied by the whole “unshaven I don’t give a shit but I really do” look. But from their one brief encounter, she could tell that he was probably some kind of pompous dick with a need to fuck any woman he met. And really she was not going for that. She was not that type of woman.

“It seems we do.” Deidre looked up at the flashing numbers praying for the elevator to move more quickly.

“Did you get the job?” Scott asked curiously. He wanted to know if he’d be seeing more of her.

“Yes. Today is technically my first day, but really I’m just going floor to floor to meet all of the department heads.”

“So I’ll be seeing you around?” Scott asked.

“I guess you might.”

“Then you won’t mind going out with me, just to get to know me as one of the surgeons, of course.”

“Look, Dr. Walker you seem like a nice guy,” to be perfectly honest Deidre kind of considered him to be somewhat of a man whore, but she wasn’t going to tell him that. “And your kind of attractive," another lie, she thought the man was a sexy beast (yes an educated woman such as she did use such terms)."But, I don’t date the people I work with. It’s easier that way. If I keep work life and personal life separate, then I can be sure there’ll be less drama.”

“You don’t have to call me Dr. Walker. And we technically don’t work together. I’m on the surgical staff, you are a lawyer.” Scott pointed out.

“Okay then, Walker, when you get your W2s does it say Seattle Regional Hospital where it says place of employment?” For her own personal satisfaction, Deidre refused to call him by his first name.

“Yes, James it does.” Scott said, two could play at her little game.

“So, will mine. Therefore, we work together.” As if by some act of god, at that exact moment the elevator binged and the doors opened up. Deidre smiled, “this is where I get off. Have a nice day.” She waved, stepped off the elevator and walked down the hall never once looking back.

---------------------

Scott walked out into the night after an easy day at the hospital. Three weeks had passed since his first encounter with Deidre James. Two weeks had passed since she had officially started working for the hospital, and given him her excuse as to why she did not want to date him.

As he stepped into the bar, it seemed as if every woman looked up to watch his entrance. Spotting two familiar heads, both with dark hair, he made his way over to their table in the back and sat down with them. "Hello ladies," he said. "Imagine meeting you here." He smirked at his own cleverness.

"Scott this is Solomon's, the closest bar to the hospital, of course you'd run into us here." Emi explained.

Deidre rolled her eyes and took a sip of her drink, "What is it that you want Walker," she asked annoyed. Over the two weeks she had worked at the hospital, Deidre somehow managed to run into Scott seven out of the ten days she was there. And each of those seven times, neither gave up their game of last names only.

"Why do I have to want anything? Can I not just come out for a beer after work and happen to run into two of my friends?"

"I would not consider us friends." Deidre said taking another long sip.

"But you do find me attractive," he said suggestively.

"Unfortunately, that is true."

"That hurts, James."

"Well the truth hurts."

"What about you Emi, do you consider me a friend?"

"Can I say we are on the way to friendship?" Emi asked.

"That works. So, I find nothing wrong with having a beer with an almost friend and a colleague who is attracted to me."

"That whole statement just sounds wrong Scott." Emi laughed. Deidre joined in and nodded her head in agreement as she took another sip from her drink.

"I'll tell you what Walker, you go buy us another round of drinks, and I'll consider becoming your friend." Deidre said as she placed her almost empty glass back on the table.

"All right then. I'll be back." Scott stood up from the table and went to the front where the bar was and bought another round of drinks for his almost friend and his colleague that found him attractive.

 

Bowling by carolinaheart

 

It was February, a month since the night in the bar, when Scott bought drinks for Deidre and Emi. And he was now, walking through the halls of Seattle Regional looking for someone who would be interested in going bowling with him that night.

Over the course of four weeks, Scott laid the foundation for new relationships with Emi and Deidre. The first couple of weeks, he crashed their almost daily debrief at Solomon’s after work. After a while though, the two women started to look forward to his company. And earlier in the week, Emi and Deidre finally agreed to set up a standing voluntary biweekly bar night with Scott.

So during their first biweekly bar night, Scott challenged the two talented women to a bowling match, men versus women. His neighbor had agreed to join him, Emi and Deidre, but at the last minuet he backed out. So now, Scott needed a new partner. He thought about asking one of the ER attendings he had befriended, but he knew the man had a family and would like to spend one of his few nights off with them. So naturally, when he saw Chase English walking towards him, he decided to ask him.

"Chase," Scott called.

"Hey, Scott. What's up?"

"You don't have plans for tonight do you?"

"Nope,” Chase said. "I am free as a bird."

"Great. You're coming bowling with me tonight."

"I am?"

"Yes you are. I need a partner to beat the ladies."

"You know Scott, usually you want to join the ladies, or bed the ladies not beat them."

“Bed them, really? Bed the ladies. Are we in the 19th century?”

Chase laughed, “Yes, bed them, sleep with them, fuck them. Take your pick.”

"Whatever Chase. This time around I’ll settle for winning a bowling match. These two women are competitive and smug." Scott explained. “It’d be nice to wipe the smiles off of their faces. These are the directions to the alley, meet me there at eight." He handed Chase a piece of paper and then walked off to finish up some paperwork on his last surgery.

 

When Chase arrived at the bowling alley, he was surprised to see Scott standing in front of the lane with Dr. Emi Rodriguez and Deidre James. He did not realize the three of them were friends. While he and Scott had not spent a lot of time together in the past month, Chase did not believe he was that much out of the loop.

As he walked up to the trio he heard Deidre say, "Scott I see you invited Dr. English. Glad you could make it."

"Thanks, Ms. James,” Chase responded.

“Please, it’s Deidre. We aren’t at work.”

“Seriously, he gets to call you Deidre?” Scott asked.

Deidre shrugged her shoulders, “he’s more of a gentleman.”

“That’s your excuse?”

Deidre smiled sweetly at Mark, “Shall we get this show on the road?”

“Fine, whatever.” Scott said as he entered their names into the computers.

Early in the game, Deidre and Emi took the lead leaving their two male companions in the dust. As the game continued, and Scott and Chase continued to fall behind, the lighthearted jokes about their manhood commenced.

“Really gentleman? This is the best you can do?” Deidre joked as she stepped up to bowl.

“You know James, we can go another round after this if you want. We’re just getting warmed up.” Scott laughed.

“I doubt you two will do any better in a second match-up.” Emi supplied.

Deidre nodded her head in agreement before she walked up to the lane and bowled another strike. She walked back to the group and took her seat with a large grin on her face, “I do believe you’re up.” She said to Scott.

“Whatever. Next round James, you’re ass is mine.” Scott said making his way to the ball dispenser.

Deidre and Emi laughed.

“I don’t know if I’m up for another round, guys.” Chase said.

“Why not? I didn’t see your name on the board for any early surgeries.” Emi said.

“Yeah, and I thought you were taking a later shift tomorrow.” Scott said after botching his bowl.

Emi stood up to bowl and Chase responded to the inquiries about his time.

“I’ve got a lot of prep work to do.”

“Prep for what? You don’t have an early surgery, and the one I know you’re doing tomorrow is one you’ve done several times before.” Scott said.

“It is. I’m just gearing up to talk to the chief. I have to be mentally ready to make my case.”

Emi returned to the chairs, and Chase went up to the top of the lane to bowl. When he finished, he had knocked down a total of seven pins. But at that moment his mind was not really on the game.

“Make your case for what?” Deidre asked as she stepped up to bowl. The group was now on their tenth frame.

“I want to talk to him about his impending retirement and who he plans on recommending for his position. I would like for it to be me.” Chase explained.

Deidre came back and sat down confused, “the chief of what?”

“Surgery Deidre, the chief of surgery. Dr. English here wants power, and lots of it.” Emi laughed. “I’m surprised he’s not going for the chief of staff position.” She joked.

“I would, but Dr. Martin isn’t up for retirement yet.”

“Walker, you were talking about that position the other night weren’t you?” Deidre asked.

Scott sat down after bowling his last frame before he responded. “I was. I’m thinking about throwing my hat in the ring too. Can’t hurt to try can it?”

“So you’re serious, about the whole trying for the Chief of Surgery position.” Chase asked.

“Why would I joke about something like that? It’s a great opportunity and a step in the right direction where my career is concerned.”

“Oh,” Chase had nothing more to say and the three sat in silence as they waited for Emi to finish bowling.

“Your turn,” Emi said pointing to Chase before sitting down.

“I’m going to get a bottle of water. Ladies do you want anything?” Scott asked.

Deidre looked up at Scott. She could tell that the way the conversation went was troubling for him. Deidre felt kind of sorry for him. Over the past four weeks, she had come to respect and appreciate Scott more. While he was still a pain in the ass most nights, with his constant flirting and showing up uninvited to her and Emi’s drink nights, he could, on occasion, be a sweet guy and a decent friend. He had proved that time after time at Solomon’s when some man, drunk off his ass, would make an inappropriate pass at her or Emi.

“No, I’m good. What about you Deidre?” Emi asked forcing Deidre out of her own thoughts and back into the real world.

“You know what, I’ll think I’ll go with you. I want to grab something to eat.” Deidre said as she stood up.

Scott smirked as he watched Deidre walk towards him. “Admit it, you’re intrigued by me and you want me.” He joked.

Deidre shook her head. As soon as the man, Scott, began to get sympathy and understanding from Deidre, he would switch back into the Scott Deidre and Emi knew best. “You’re delusional Dr. Walker.” Deidre continued to walk past him toward the concession stand. Somewhat lost in thought again, she smiled sadly to herself. She knew there was an actual man behind the ass that paraded around calling himself Scott. What she did not realize until that evening was that being an ass, was kind of like his protective wall. And when he let it slip, a Scott with some depth showed his face.

“Hey James,” Scott said lightly touching Deidre’s arm. She was once again jolted out of her thoughts.

Slightly disoriented, Deidre turned around to face Scott. “Yeah, what’s up?” She asked.

“Are you okay?” Scott asked concerned. “You looked a little out of it. Care to share your thoughts?”

“I was thinking about all of the work I have to do tomorrow morning. Do you know how many of you arrogant doctors are getting sued each day? It’s like you all decide to get together and screw up.” Deidre joked. “Why do you ask?”

“It’s your turn to order.” Scott pointed out.

“Oh, of course.” Deidre turned back to the counter and placed her order.

As the two walked back to the lanes, they could make out Emi and Chase sitting in the chairs.

“I brought back enough to share Emi,” Deidre said setting a tub of popcorn on the table. “So are we doing another round?” Deidre asked.

“No, Dr. English is leaving because apparently he has a curfew.” Emi said putting her own shoes back on.

Deidre looked at Chase’s feet and saw that he too had changed shoes. So she sat down and began to take her bowling shoes off as well.

When they had all changed back into their street shoes and returned their bowling shoes, the group of four made their way outside.

“Gentlemen, this was fun; but I’m parked over there. I’ll see you around. ‘Night Emi.” Deidre said as she separated from the group.

“This was nice, but I think we could benefit by having more people join us. We should make it some kind of team building thing next time. Maybe have a match of the residents verses the attendings. What do you think,” Emi suggested.

“It could be fun.” Scott said.

“I know right? Well think about it guys. Maybe one of you can implement it when you become chief. I’ll see you both tomorrow.” Emi said unlocking her car.

“Scott, you’re okay right?” Chase asked.

“Yeah Chase,” Scott sighed. “I’m fine.”

“Because you don’t seem fine. Over the past half hour you just don’t seem like yourself.”

“Chase, I’m fine. There’s your car; I’ll see you in the morning.” Scott left his friend standing alone by his car.

Later in the evening, after he’d returned home, Scott contemplated what had transpired that evening while drinking a glass of brandy. His mind mulled through the things that were said. He swirled the glass in his hand and watched the brown liquid go in circles. The more he thought about things, the more frustrated he became. Scott had known Chase since the first week of medical school, and he had never doubted their friendship until now, until he realized that Chase did not respect him as a doctor. Even more upset than before, he threw the glass against the wall and watched it shatter.

I’m a damn good surgeon, Scott thought to himself. And I can be serious. When it comes to my work, I am serious.

Getting up from his chair, Scott briefly glanced at the wet wall and the broken glass. He shook his head and left the mess where it was and headed to bed.

As he drifted off to sleep, a few more thoughts swam through his head. He realized that the night was not a complete waste of his time; Scott had fun hanging out with Emi and Deidre. He always knew he could be friends with women; he had a few female friends. But it was different with Emi and Deidre. It was the most different with Deidre. He was attracted to her, and he wanted her; but he was okay with where they were. He was completely fine with just being her friend. But that would not stop him from trying; he could tell she enjoyed their game almost as much as he did.

 

 

 

February 14 by carolinaheart

 

It was February 14, Valentine’s Day. Only a few days had passed since Scott went bowling with three of his friends. On a night meant to celebrate love, Scott found himself alone in a bar that was not Solomon’s. Of course, his solitude was his own choice. Scott sat nursing his beer thinking. He contemplated life, his own in particular. More specifically, he thought about where his personal life and professional life intersected. A number of his closest friends were all colleagues at one point. And he assumed they all respected one another and each person’s specialty. Finding out that was not the case, shook Scott up a bit.

Deciding that his current thought process would only make him depressed, Scott’s switched gears and started to think about his personal life. It was hard not to do when he was sitting alone in a bar on Valentine’s Day. He looked around and for the first time he noticed all of the cheesy love-themed decorations. The sad part about the whole picture, Scott decided, was the fact that most of the bar’s patrons were either drinking alone or in a group of some sort. Few couples seemed to be spending the night together in this particular bar. But then again, it was a bar.

Alone in a bar on Valentine’s Day, Scott thought to himself. Any one of his friends would have something to say about his present situation. Every other year, on this particular holiday, Scott had a date. And if that one did not go according to plan, he would have a back up date. But this year, Scott did not have anything lined up. And really he had not had time to set up any type of dates. His time was monopolized by the hospital, and his new friendship with Emi and Deidre. It had been a long time since he was able to spend time with members of the opposite sex without them expecting anything other than his opinions and company. Over the years Scott found it was hard work being a 'man whore,' as they liked to call him.

By the end of Scott’s second beer, the bar started to fill up with more people.

Wearing a black strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline and an asymettrical hem that stopped just above her knees, Deidre James stepped into the bar. Her dark hair was pulled back in what was once a tight bun, with a few tendrils of hair that seemed to have broken free from captivity. She searched the unfamiliar bar for a secluded spot. Instead, she saw an empty stool at the bar next to her colleague and new friend, Scott Walker. She walked up and took a seat next to him, but Scott was too lost in his own thoughts to notice anything, or anyone else. Deidre called the bartender over and ordered a drink.

"So," she said addressing Scott while looking strait ahead. "Come here often?" She asked.

Scott lifted his head and looked at her. She was simply stunning. He smirked and shook his head. "Nope. What about you?"

"There's a first time for everything right?" She said before she took a sip of the Long Island Ice Tea the bartender placed in front of her.

"What, may I ask brings you here all dressed up? Have a bad Valentine's day date?" Scott asked.

"Yeah I did.” She responded bitterly before taking another long sip of her drink.

Scott laughed lightly at his friend’s actions, “do you want to talk about it or are you just going to get drunk?”

Deidre stopped drinking for a moment and looked in her almost empty glass. She then looked at Scott who was still waiting for an answer. She looked back to her glass, finished her drink and called the bartender over to order another one before she started talking.

“Valentine’s day is a holiday fabricated by the greeting card companies to make single people feel more and more miserable each successive year they are single. It’s a sham!”

“Usually only bitter single people say things like that.” Scott laughed.

“Yeah well, I’m pissed. Who says we need to pair up on the fourteenth of February every year anyway?”

“So, your date was that bad?” Scott asked.

“My date was an asshole, a chauvinistic prick of an idiot. I left before the food came. I walked out and found this lovely little place. What about you? Why are you here instead of being paired off. This seems like your type of holiday. There are plenty of women around waiting for some sexy surgeon to sweep them off their feet.”

"Wasn't in the mood.” Scott answered. He then smirked, “you think I’m sexy?”

“Don’t push it, pretty boy.” Deidre warned.

The bartender came back with a fresh drink for Deidre. She stared at Scott suspiciously as she sipped from the new glass. “So why here at this bar, instead of Solomon’s?" She asked.

"For one thing it is close to my apartment. Meaning when I get drunk, I can walk there instead of paying for a cab. Second, I did not want to be around people from the hospital tonight. I just wanted to be alone with my thoughts. So I thought I'd go somewhere where I'd just be another guy in a bar." Scott explained.

"Is that your subtle way of asking me to leave?"

"No! You can stay, I want you to stay I was having a bit of self-reflection and making a few revelations. But I think it'd be good for me to have a friend around right now. You might keep me from doing something stupid."

Deidre raised a brow, curious as to what that ‘something stupid’ was. She decided to ask about that later.

"In that case, you will be buying my drinks for the evening."

"Why is it that every time we go to a bar, I end up paying for your drinks?" Scott asked.

"Because you think I’m hot, and you want me. And I’m going to milk those two facts. So I figure, you'll keep buying me drinks because you want to convince me to go on a date with you." Deidre explained finishing her second drink. “But to be nice I’ll slow down and order beer for the rest of the night.”

"I guess I see your logic.” Scott said.

The bartender came back over and took away Deidre’s empty glass.

“Do you want another one?” The bartender asked.

Deidre shook her head, “no but I will have whatever he’s drinking. Also our tabs are together.” She looked over at Scott and shot him a faux-sweet smile. “He’s buying,” she pointed to Scott as she informed the bartender of their payment plan.

The bartender walked away and came back with two fresh beers; he sat one in front of each of the two friends.

“So, Ms. James, will it work?” Scott asked.

“Will what work?”

“Me buying you drinks?" Scott smiled.

"Not a chance in hell. So, Dr. Walker what sorrows are you trying to drown tonight?"

“I’m not really drowning sorrows. I’m just contemplating life.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Chase is wrong.” Scott said as if it were an explanation.

“What?” Deidre asked confused. “Chase is wrong about what?”

“He’s wrong about me. I’m serious. I’m a serious guy. I just like to have fun as well. Everyone does. My having fun does not interfere with who I am as a doctor.”

“Wow,” Deidre said. “You’re not drowning sorrows, you’re fueling pent-up anger.”

Scott gulped down the last of the beer in front of him before raising his hand in the air to call the bartender back over. After a new beer was placed in front of him, Scott began to talk again.

“He doesn’t respect me, James.”

“Wow, we go from anger to sadness in 2.5 seconds. Look, maybe you ought to have this conversation with him.” Deidre suggested.

"You may be right."

"I know I'm right. I'm always right."

"You know James, you’re very arrogant." Scott said

"It's not arrogance Walker, its confidence."

Scott rolled his eyes before changing the subject. "I have a couple of friends coming into town in a few weeks, and I'm thinking about having a dinner party, you in?"

“You cook?” Deidre asked in disbelief.

“I can cook!” Scott defended.

"I might show up, with the proper incentive." Deidre said.

"And what would that be?"

"No flirting. I can’t have you flirting with me the whole evening. It’s never going to work."

"I can't make any promises, James." Scott said leaning his head towards her as he took a sip from his glass of beer.

"Could you at least make an effort?"

"I'll try?"

"That's better than nothing. Who all are you inviting to this game night besides me? Anyone I know?" Deidre asked curious to see what type of crowd would be present.

"You, and Emi, my two friends from Las Vegas, and probably Chase." Scott said.

“You think that’s a good idea with all those emotions you have floating around?” Deidre asked genuinely concerned.

“First of all, I’m not a female; I can keep my thoughts to myself.”

“Are you implying that women can’t?” Deidre asked clearly offended.

“I’m just saying that generally, men are more level headed,” Scott’s voice began to fade as he looked over at Deidre.

“Yeah, go ahead and keep talking.” She said sarcastically in a threatening manner.

Instead he moved on to his second point. “’B,’ my friends from Las Vegas went to med school with me and Chase. We were all really good friends and I promised them that we could all get together.”

“Wait a minute did you switch from using numbers as your listing device to using letters?” 

“Yeah, that may have just happened.” Scott said. “I guess it’s probably time for me to go.” Scott called the bartender over one final time to close out his tab. “Some people have to work in the morning. I need my sleep. People trust me with their lives you know.”

Deidre rolled her eyes before getting up. “This evening ended better than it started for me.”

"Really?” Scott smirked as the two walked out of the door.

“Yeah this was good.”

“Was it good enough for you to let me take you out on a date?" He asked.

"No, Nice try though." She stopped in front of one of the waiting taxis and opened the door. "I’ll see you around.” She said getting into the car. She closed the door and waved.

Scott watched Deidre’s cab until it was out of sight. He then turned around and headed in the direction of his apartment.

 

Dinner Party by carolinaheart

 

Scott’s apartment was spotless. He had cleared his dining room table of old patient notes and case files. A stack of plates sat on the table waiting to be set in their proper place.

In preparation for the big event, Scott had made sure he did not have any scheduled surgeries later in the day. He was not on-call, so he was able to head home early without the threat of being called away. And that was a good thing because if Scott had stayed at the hospital any longer, he would have done something he would probably regret.

Just before Scott left the hospital he overheard Chase talking with the chief of surgery for what seemed like the tenth time since rumors of the chiefs retirement began to circulate. To Scott, the things Chase was saying were hurtful and uncalled for. Even though, the whole situation pissed him off, Scott was not going to un-invite Chase; their friends were looking forward to seeing him. Instead of confronting Chase about his actions, Scott shook it off and headed home to get ready for the dinner party. He made up his mind to try and not let it affect him.

On his way home from work, Scott stopped by the market to pick up the last of the ingredients he needed to finish preparing the meal. He had placed everything just where he wanted it and was getting ready to start preparing the main dish when there was a knock on the door. It was still quite early in the afternoon, so he was not expecting anyone.

Scott decided to ignore the distraction and he reached for the knife instead of going to answer the door. However, before he was able to cut into the onion he had before him, the person on the other side of the door knocked again. This time they added a little more force. Frustrated and annoyed, Scott put down the knife and headed to the door.

“Look if you’re selling something I’m not buying it,” Scott yelled as he walked over to the door.

“Well, it’s a good thing I’m not selling anything then isn’t it?” The voice on the other side said.

Recognizing Deidre’s voice, Scott smiled and shook his head. He opened the door and stepped aside, allowing his friend to enter his home. Deidre walked inside carrying a large paper bag.

“You’re early.” Scott said closing the door behind her.

“Yeah, well I wanted to make sure you were actually cooking.” Deidre explained as she walked over to the dining room table. She put the bag down and let out a sigh of relief. “Do you know how hard it is to knock on the door while holding a heavy bag?” She asked.

“What’s in the bag anyway?”

“Wine.”

“How many bottles did you bring?”

“Well, I bought six; I wasn’t sure what we were having for dinner.”

“You know James there’s this really cool thing they’ve come up with called a telephone. You could have asked.” Scott suggested walking back in the kitchen area.

Deidre followed him and sat down at the island on a barstool.  “So, what are we having for dinner?” Deidre asked.

“Lasagna.”

“You’re making lasagna?” Deidre said.

“I’m making it from scratch.” Scott said.

“Right, so your boiling lasagna noodles and putting a sauce in a pot before you put it all in a pan.”

“No, I’m making it from scratch. I made the noodles last night and I’m about to start working on the sauce. Do me a favor look in the bottom cabinet over there, pull out the Dutch oven and put it on the stove for me.” Scott directed.

Deidre looked at Scott skeptically, “you have a Dutch oven? Most men don’t even know what they’re called.”

“When your step-father is a chef and your mother is a baker, you have no choice but to learn the proper names of cookware.” Scott said coming over to the stove. He poured in some olive oil and turned up the flame underneath the Dutch oven.

“So, you’re a pretty decent cook then?” Deidre asked.

“Yes I’m a pretty decent cook.”

“I guess that means you don’t need my help then. I’ll just sit back down.”

“I never said that. Here,” Scott said passing an onion, a knife and a cutting board over to her, “you can start chopping this while you sit there.”

As Scott finished putting the last layer on the lasagna, there was a knock at the door. “Hey, James can you get that?”

“Sure.” Deidre got up from where she was intensely watching Scott pull together dinner.

Scott’s apartment had a very open layout. There was only a half wall separating the kitchen from the dining room and living room. So, when Deidre let the gusts in, Scott knew exactly who they were, or at least one of them.

“Ahh… so you offering to cook dinner was not a sham. You really did prepare the meal.” Emi said walking further into the apartment, a handsome Latino man followed her.

“Emi, you made it. Who’s your date?” Scott asked gesturing to the stranger that stood slightly behind Emi.

"This is Miguel Sanchez, he's an old friend who works for my father. He’s in town for the week. I thought it would be nice to have another male at the table.” Emi said.

"It's nice to meet you Miguel."

"Likewise." He said shaking Scott's hand.

“Deidre, it’s nice to see you again.” Miguel said.

“Thanks Miguel. Emi didn’t tell me you were in town.” Deidre said.

“Funny, she didn’t tell me you had moved out here.”

Emi rolled her eyes at her two friends and looked to Scott instead. "So, where’ the wine?" She asked throwing her coat on the back of a chair that was set up around the table."

“It’s right here. James over there thought we needed six bottles.”

“I explained to you I wasn’t sure which type would go well with dinner.” Deidre said trying to defend her actions.

“So you bought six different types?” Emi laughed.

“You know neither of you have to drink any of the wine.” Deidre said pointing to both Emi and Scott.

“I’m joking Deidre.” Emi said.

“I saw you just put a pan in the oven. How long until dinner is ready?” Miguel asked Scott.

“About an hour, but we are still waiting for a few more people to arrive.” Just as he finished his sentence, there was yet another knock on the door.

Scott walked over to let the newest arrivals join the festivities.

“Shri, Becca you guys made it here. I’m assuming you didn’t have any issues finding the place.” Scott said as he hugged each of the women.

Shri was a beautiful Indian woman with shoulder-length wavy hair that she wore pulled into a ponytail. With red hair, green eyes and a smattering of freckles on her face, Rebecca was almost Shri’s complete opposite.

“No problem at all. The GPS brought us straight here.” Shri said taking off her coat. “Um, where can I put this?” She asked looking around the room.

“I’ll take it Shri,” Scott took her coat and put it in the closet.

“And the bathroom is where?” Shri asked.

“Down the hall.” Scott directed her toward a small powder room.

“Well Becca, you haven’t changed in a year. How is that possible?” Emi asked as she walked over to hug Rebecca.

“Really? I’m not even a little bit more tan?” Rebecca asked.

“Maybe a little bit.” Emi said.

 “So Scott,” Rebecca said turning around to face him, “are you going to introduce me to your other guests?”

Scott shook his head, “Dr. Rebecca Long this is Miguel, whom I just met, and Deidre James.”

“Deidre, Miguel it’s nice to meet you both. I’m Rebecca.” She said shaking both of their hands.

“I didn’t realize you knew Emi too.” Deidre said.

“Yeah, I worked out here for awhile about a year ago.” Rebecca said. “I was trying to find something but well…” She let her sentence drop off.

Shri came back from the bathroom wiping her hands together. She looked around the room before speaking. “Well, I only know two people here.” She said.

“You just missed the introductions.” Scott said. “Everybody this is Dr. Shri Khot-Miller. Shri this is Miguel, Emi and Deidre.”

“Nice to meet you all. How does everyone know each other?” Shri asked.

“I’m a surgical resident at the hospital and Deidre works in the legal department. Miguel is one of my childhood friends visiting on business.” Emi explained.

“I see. So what’s your specialty?” Shri asked.

“Orthopedics.”

“A bone and muscle girl.” Shri pointed out.

“Yes. It’s very hands on compared to other specialties.”

“I’m going to go open the wine. Who wants a glass?” Deidre said walking over to the table.

“Could you pour me a glass I’m going to cut up everything for the salad?” Scott said.

“Sure, anyone else?” Deidre asked looking around the room.

While they waited for dinner to finish cooking, the six friends and acquaintances sat talking.

“So how’s life in Vegas?” Scott asked Rebecca.

“You know there’s a saying; what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.” Rebecca laughed.

“That was…” Scott started.

“Corny, I know. Vegas is good. It’s really good. I’m seeing someone.” Rebecca said.

“Really?” Emi asked intrigued.

“Yeah, he’s great; another doctor in our practice.” Rebecca explained.

“What about you Shri, how’s Ben? I’ve been meaning to call him.” Scott asked.

“Ben is good, and the practice is good. Everything is going pretty well.”

“Who’s Ben?” Emi asked.

“Ben’s another one of our med school friends and Shri’s husband.” Scott said.

Looking at her watch Shri said, “I wonder when Chase is going to get here. He’s usually very punctual.”

Scott snorted and sipped his wine. “I’m going to check on dinner.” He said getting up.

By the time dinner was ready to be served, all five guests were very hungry.

“Chase seems to be running pretty late.” Rebecca noted about their missing friend.

“He said he would be here.” Scott said placing the hot pan of pasta on the table.

“I don’t think we should start without him.” Shri said.

“I gave him the same time I gave you guys.” Scott said. “He’s an hour late and I think it’s okay to start without him.”

“Good because I’m hungry and I don’t want to wait.” Deidre said.

Just as everyone began to eat, they were interrupted by a knock on the door. Scott got up from his chair to answer it.

“I’m sorry I’m late,” Chase said walking into the apartment after Scott opened the door.

“You’re very late.” Scott noted as he closed and locked the door.

“I see you guys didn’t wait for me.” Chase sat down in a chair. “Becca, Shri it’s good to see you guys.”

“It would have been nicer if you were on time.” Becca stated.

Scott sat back down in his chair, and he continued eating from his plate.

“I’m impressed Scott. This food is delicious.” Emi said.

“Yeah, Scott here is a great cook.” Chase said.

“Oh my god, yes he is. He’s always been great. Chase do you remember the time we were studying at our apartment…oh god let me think who all was there?” Rebecca started.

“I think I know what you’re talking about. I remember.” Shri said. “Everyone was at our apartment for a study session. We had this huge final coming up. We had nothing in our apartment to eat.”

“You didn’t have nothing in your kitchen,” Scott said. “She’s over exaggerating.”

“Scott’s being modest, I still don’t know how you did it. He made the most fabulous meal out of nothing I’d ever had.” Rebecca finished the story.

“You guys were just hungry.” Scott said.

“Scott, you’re a cocky son of a bitch when it comes to almost everything else,” Chase laughed. “Why are you so modest now?”

Scott said nothing as he looked around the table. All eyes were on him. “Let’s discuss why you’re so late Chase.” Scott said changing the subject.

“That’s a good idea. Your name wasn’t on the board for surgery when I left.” Emi said.

“I know, I was just talking to the chief about some things.” Chase said avoiding eye contact with Scott.

“Oh really? How is the chief?” Rebecca asked. She had fond memories of him from when she had worked at the hospital as well.

“He’s thinking about retiring.” Scott said looking over at Chase.

“Wow, he seems like he’s too young to retire.” Becca said.

“How old is he?” Shri asked.

“Becca the man is in his 60s. That’s the age most people retire.” Scott said.

“I know that but he’s got so much skill and so much more of his life ahead of him.” Becca said.

“I think his wife is sick.” Emi said.

“Oh, wow. That’s sad.” Becca said.

“So, Scott, Chase are either of you putting your name in for the position?”

“I’m going to when the position officially opens. But Chase here, he’s been working on getting chief for a while now. Haven’t you Chase?” Scott asked bitterly.

“All I’ve done is talk to the man to let him know I’m interested in the position.” Chase said.

“Oh you’ve done more than that,” Scott said icily.

Everyone in the room could feel the change in the atmosphere.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Chase laughed nervously.

“I know you want the position, and I’d never ask you not to apply. I respect you as a colleague.” Scott started. “I find nothing wrong with a little healthy competition. But you … What you did is not fair play.” Scott said throwing down his silverware.

The fork hitting the plate made a loud clink making everyone nervous.

“Walker,” Deidre said, the only one brave enough to verbally approach the angered man.

“No, Deidre. It’s fine. I can see I’m not welcome here. I’ll just leave.” Chase said getting up from the dinner table. He grabbed his coat and left.

“Okay, I’m confused now. What just happened?” Miguel asked.

“I’m not entirely sure.” Rebecca answered.

“Earlier I heard that asshole talking to the chief, giving the man reasons why he should hire him instead of anyone else. Chase gave excuses as to why each candidate is wrong for the job. What kind of person does that? He told the chief I was a nice guy and a good surgeon but I was shallow and lacked the depth and seriousness needed of a good chief of surgery.” Scott explained.

“Chase said that?” Shri asked in disbelief.

Scott nodded his head.

“This dinner went south very quickly.” Miguel noted looking around the silent room.

“You know what? I’m sorry guys. I bought sorbet last night let me get it out of the freezer and we can have dessert.” Scott said getting up from the table.

Concerned, Deidre followed him. “You okay?” She asked.

“I’m going to be fine, nothing to worry about. Here.” Scott said handing her the bowls.

Rebecca watched the interaction between Deidre and Scott before she looked over at Emi. “How long have they been dating?” She asked.

Emi laughed, “They aren’t. Deidre refuses to let him take her on a date. I think it’s hilarious.”

Shri smiled. “Scott’s finally met a woman who won’t give into his charms.”

“So, it seems.” Rebecca said.

Scott and Deidre returned to the table with the sorbet and bowls. The rest of the evening went much better than it had while Chase was there. By the end of the night, Rebecca and Shri had befriended Emi, Deidre and Miguel. 

 

End Notes:

Character photos for Becca and Miguel are in the first chapter.

Because of a Bet by carolinaheart

 

As Scott and Deidre sat in the hospital room, a nurse with a clip-board came into the room.

“Excuse me, I don’t mean to interrupt,”

“You didn’t interrupt anything.” Deidre said.

The nurse gave Deidre a strained smile. Throughout the hospital Deidre had garnered the reputation as a hard-ass. Not many doctors and nurses liked her. Deidre took every law suite against the hospital seriously. Not wanting any surprises to crop up when it was time to negotiate a settlement, Deidre was known to grill the doctor or nurse the case involved. And she was not polite about it. Because she didn’t spare people’s feelings in her line of questioning, most considered her to be a bit heartless.

 “Oh good, I have some papers you need to sign Dr. Walker.” The nurse said. “They’re just discharge papers. You’ve been cleared to go.” She handed Mark the clip-board, who promptly signed them and handed them back to the nurse. “Thank you very much. I hope you feel better Dr. Walker.” She turned around and walked out of the door.

"So we started out as friends.” Scott said as he attempted to get out of the hospital bed by himself.

 "Yes." Deidre said. She watched as he tried for a second time to maneuver himself off of the bed. “You know you don’t have to try and do this on your own.” Deidre said.

Scott leaned on the shoulder she offered, but he decided to ignore her comment. "So what exactly am I wearing home?" Scott asked as he looked down at the hospital gown he was currently wearing. "As nice as this lovely gown is, I'd prefer not to feel a breeze every time I walk." He attempted to lighten the sober mood that fell between them.

"I don't know Scott, I'm kind of liking the view I get from behind." Deidre laughed.

"I suppose it is a nice view, but do you really want to share this view with the entire hospital?" Scott asked.

"No, I don't share very well, which is why I brought you a change of clothes. Everything you need is in the bag.” Deidre said pointing to a duffle bag that sat in the corner. “Do you need my help changing or anything?”

“Look,” Scott said. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but I think I’d rather have a nurse help me.”

“Right,” Deidre said. “Why don’t you sit back down and I’ll get a nurse.”

"Thanks." After she left, Scott tried to change clothes by himself. He was able to get his underwear and jeans on, but he was struggling with the shirt.

Deidre came back followed by a different nurse than the one who had come in before. She found Scott sitting on the bed with his shirt off. His chest was bruised from where the seat belt restrained him in the accident.

“I thought you were going to wait for a nurse.” Deidre said crossing her arms and giving him a look that said ‘I’m not happy about this.’ But underneath her disapproval, Deidre was aching to soothe the bruises on her husband’s muscled chest.

“I was, but then I thought I can do this.” Scott looked at her with a goofy smile and laughed. “As you can see I was able to get my pants on, but I’m having issues with the shirt.” He picked up the collared button up shirt to show her his dilemma.

Deidre walked over to Scott and took the shirt in her hands. “Put your arm through slowly.” Deidre said. She took her time helping him gingerly put on the garmet.

“Am I still needed here?” The nurse asked.

“No you can go.” Deidre said never taking attention away from the task at hand.

After Scott slipped his arm into the other sleeve, Deidre stood in front of him as she buttoned his shirt. He got a whiff of her scent; trying to figure it out, he attempted to take a deep breath. Before he could properly distinguish Deidre's intriguing smell, pain shot through his chest.

“What are you doing?” Deidre asked just as she finished the last button.

“Nothing I just wanted to take a deep breath. That’s all.”

“Yeah well you need to take it easy.” Deidre said. “Here,” she said reaching into the bag, “I brought some shoes you can just slip your feet in.” She said dropping them on the floor.”

“Thanks. Is that my jacket?” He asked noticing the leather outerwear on the chair.

“Yeah, here.” Deidre helped him into his jacket.

Just as the couple was about to walk out of the door, Chase came back.

"I’m glad I caught the two of you before you left. Scott, I don’t want you to drive for a while as a precaution. I also don't want you coming into work for at least two weeks."

"I forgot the last seven years, not how to be a plastic surgeon." Scott said.

"Yes well, this is another precaution. You’re a doctor; you know this." Chase explained.

"What am I going to do for two weeks? I’m in too much pain to go golfing or do anything entertaining." Scott asked.

"Don't ask me. Ask your wife." Both men looked over at Deidre who smirked and shrugged her shoulders.

"Right." Scott said.

"I'll see you next week then. Ms. James." Chase said as he exited the room.

Scott looked to Deidre, "Two weeks, at home? I’m assuming you’ll be coming in to work."

"Don't be such a baby Scott. There’s plenty of stuff to do at home, or I could take you to our house on Whidbey Island. Either way, I'm sure you'll find something to do. If you want I can call Miguel." Deidre said.

“We have a house on Whidbey Island?” Scott asked.

“Yes, it’s a nice place to get away.”

“I think I want to go there. Maybe I can do some fishing.”

“What about Miguel. I can call him and he’ll be happy to come up sometime later. The two of you can do some fishing.” Deidre suggested,

"Miguel, Emi’s friend?” Scott asked as they walked through the halls of the hospital toward the exit.

"Yes, the two of you are good friends as well. And he’s Emi’s husband. He can work from where ever he wants as long as he has Internet connection, so he could keep you company."

"Emi's married to the guy she brought to dinner, wow." Scott said as he held open the door for Deidre.

"Yeah well, their dating is kind of what got us to start seeing each other." She explained as they made their way to her car.

"Is that so?"

"Uhuh."

"And how exactly did that come about?" Scott asked curious as to how he married someone so adamantly against dating him.

"It's really an interesting story," Deidre said getting into the driver’s side of the car. Scott raised one eyebrow and looked at her.

--------------------------------

By April, Emi had started to date Miguel, her childhood best friend. Emi’s dates began to interfere with the three friends scheduled time to hang out. On those nights, Scott and Deidre usually still went to the bar, but occasionally they would see a movie instead. When May rolled around, Deidre and Scott began to realize that their bar nights became more sporadic as Emi went on more dates.

One Friday evening, on the rare occasion Emi made it to a bar night, Deidre tried to remedy the situation between the three friends.

"So, there's this new billiards bar opening up down the street from my building. I think we should go sometime."

"Sounds like fun," Scott said.

"Yeah it does. We can make a few wagers." Emi said.

"So it's settled, we're going to go play pool at some point?" Deidre asked.

"Works for me," Scott said as he sipped his beer.

"Sure, give me a time and place." Emi said.

"What about a week from tonight?" Deidre suggested.

"Not next Friday night, Miguel has reservations to this amazing restaurant." Emi said.

"Okay then Saturday night?"

"That's better for me."

"Scott?" Deidre said.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll be there."

"So then it's settled, next Saturday night at Bob’s Billiards.” Deidre said.

As the next week passed, everything looked like it would work out as planned. Scott, Deidre and Emi would all meet at the pool hall on Saturday night at nine. However, when nine Saturday night rolled around only two of the three showed up.

Deidre and Scott sat at a table for thirty minuets waiting for Emi to walk through the door. "I think we should find a new friend," Scott suggested looking at his watch for the tenth time since they sat down.

"Calm down. She said she'd be here." While Deidre tried to remain hopeful about Emi's arrival, Scott answered his ringing phone.

"Hello," He said into the phone. "Uhuh. Oh Really. Alright then. Yeah, I'll see you Monday. I'll tell her. Have fun. Bye."

"Don't tell me, she canceled," Deidre said disappointed.

"She had a good reason," Scott said trying to defend their friend. Deidre narrowed her eyes as if she were shooting laser beams at the man who sat across from her. "How about we play some pool and have a good time any way?"

"Fine," Deidre got up and grabbed a pool stick. She then made her way over to one of the empty tables. Scott mimicked Deidre's actions.

They played four games of pool, three of which Deidre won, leaving Scott almost broke. "You know Scott this is no fun anymore, I feel like I'm just taking your money."

"That's because you are James. I have an idea, let's play for something other than money." Scott suggested.

"Like what?"

"If I win I get two things."

"Really? What is it that you want?"

"First, you let me call you Deidre from now on; this whole last names bullshit is getting old. And second I take you out on a date." Scott said with a smile.

Deidre looked at him. He looked so confident that he would win the next game. "And when you loose…"

"IF I loose, I'll stop trying to convince you to go out with me." Scott said.

"Deal," Deidre stretched out her hand and Scott shook it.

This game was more intense than the previous four, and Scott played smarter than he had before. This time there was more at stake than a few hundred dollars. This was his last chance for any possibility of him ever taking Deidre out on a date, and Scott did not want to miss out on that opportunity.

Deidre sunk her last ball and Scott watched as she lined up the next shot.

"8 ball, side pocket." Deidre pulled back her stick and hit the cue ball. She missed; the eight ball did not go into the side pocket. It didn't go into any pocket.

Scott still had one ball left on the table, as well as a chance. The way the eight ball was currently lined up, if he missed the next two shots, Deidre would surely win. He sunk his ball with no problem and lined up to shoot the eight ball. "Eight ball corner pocket," he said. He hit the cue ball and sunk the eight ball.

Scott smirked and looked up at Deidre. "So, Deidre," said Scott putting emphsis on her name, "it looks like we are going on a date."

Deidre laughed, she could not believe she had lost the game. She wondered if she subconsciously threw the game because a part of her really did want to go on a date with Scott. "I guess we are." She said.

The two of them played one more game, which Scott won as well, before they both said goodnight and headed home.

 

Date One by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

You get another new chapter tonight because this is probably the most like the original chapter I wrote for the fanfic. Now I have to go to bed so I can get up in four hours to take my mother to the airport so she can go be a superwoman. Enjoy!

 

Deidre James walked into Seattle Regional Monday morning with a smile on her face. When she first agreed to go on a date with Scott, she was hesitant and did not know whether or not she would be doing the right thing. But over the weekend she came to terms with the fact that it would be better to date the man now and see how much he is not right for her as a partner, rather than waiting. Deidre considered Scott a close friend, but from what she had heard of his track record with women, both from him and through the hospital gossip mill, she was fairly certain that if this date turned into a relationship, the relationship would end badly. Hopefully they would be able to maintain their strong friendship through it all.

At Seattle Regional a day never went by without someone talking about the incredibly hot plastic surgeon, Scott Walker. Every nurse that had ever gone on a date with him compared the details of their date with the others. It was like some little club. So as she walked to her next meeting, Deidre James knew she would get a feel for how her date with Scott would go.

As she passed by the nurses’ station, hearing Scott’s name, Deidre slowed down.

"So, Laura have you been on any more dates with Dr. Walker?" asked one nurse. “I mean you told me things seemed promising.”

“Nina that was five months ago. I don’t know what happened. We went on a date…” Laura started.

“Ooh, a date! Tell me about it. I want to compare it to the other nurses’ dates.”

Laura lifted her eyebrow, “Really Nina?”

“I don’t know. His dates are always good suggestions for restaurants to try.”

"Well, we went to the five star Italian restaurant, Sicily. He was charming, which was expected. But he was nice and funny. Not at all how I imagined it would be.” Laura said.

“Did you sleep with him?”

Laura grinned. “Yes, and it was amazing.”

"Every time it’s the same story.” Nina said.

“What do you mean?”

"Takes a girl to dinner at a nice place, charms them and then they’re in bed together.” Nina said.

“I wouldn’t mind re-visiting my story then.” Laura laughed. “I wonder if he’s seeing anyone.”

Deidre shook her head at the conversation and continued on her way to her meeting. At lunch, Deidre met Emi in the cafeteria.

"I have a date," Deidre said before she took the first bite of her salad.

"Really, with who?" Emi asked.

"Our friend Scott."

"Are you serious? When did, no how did you finally give in?" Emi asked in disbelief. “And wait, when did you two become on a first name basis?”

"You didn't show up on Saturday.” Deidre said pointing to Emi with her fork. “We played four games of pool and I won three in a row. Three!” She held up three fingers for emphasis. “I was getting tired of taking all of his money so we made a bet. It was his idea of course. If he won, which he did, I would let him call me by my first name and I'd let him take me out on a date. If he lost, he'd have to stop asking me out. I really didn't think he'd win." Deidre explained.

"Wow, I really did miss something on Saturday didn't I?"

"It's all your fault."

"How is it my fault?"

"If you'd have shown up, I would not be going out on a date with, what do they call him around the hospital, a 'man whore?'" Deidre said.

"It was inevitable that you two would end up going on a date. Besides, I think Scott's changed a little since he received that title." Emi said.

"What do you mean changed? He still flirts with every nurse in this hospital."

"Scott hasn't been on more then a handful of dates in a while.”

"And you know this how?" Deidre asked.

"Just because I don't make it to all of our mini-events, does not mean I don't talk to the man. To be completely honest I think he's tired of living up to the 'man whore' title."

Deidre just rolled her eyes and continued to eat. "It doesn't matter. It's only one date so he'll stop asking me out."

"Riiight," Emi said nodding her head.

"Since you've known him longer, what kind of date should I expect? I heard some nurses talking about fancy restaurants and ballets."

"That sounds about right. He gets all dressed up, takes them out to a fancy restaurant or some artsy thing and then a fancy restaurant. Throughout the night he charms the women, and usually they end up in bed after that." Emi explained.

"Right, well I think I can enjoy the fancy restaurant and 'artsy thing' as you so eloquently put it, but there is no way I'm falling into bed with him, that has disaster written all over it."

Emi shook her head. She had a feeling that what Scott had planned for Deidre James was in no way on of his usual dates. She knew that when he really wanted to be, Scott could be very thoughtful. The fact that she had yet to hear anything about this new development between her friends from Scott himself said a lot. Emi believed that Scott might actually win Deidre over, no matter how hard the confident woman tried to resist.

 

Deidre James would always be an early riser. During the week she woke up early to get to work. On the weekends she woke up early to get stuff done. Saturday morning was no different. She was frustrated. It had been a week since she agreed to go on a date with Scott Walker, but he had not given her any details about when this date would occur. So, when there was a knock on her apartment door at 8:45 am, Deidre was taken aback. She had already been up for two hours and had eaten breakfast. She had not, however, taken a shower and put on clothes. She padded to the door in her navy pajama bottoms and a white tank top. Her brown hair was still wrapped around her head and she wore black-rimmed glasses, which rarely ever left her apartment.

As she looked through the peephole, Deidre groaned, on the other side stood a smiling Scott Walker. She pulled open the door and gave him her patented death glare. "What the hell are you doing here at 8:45 on a Saturday morning?"

Scott smiled. "I'm picking you up for our date. But obviously you need to get ready." He said, as he looked her over.

Deidre stared at him in disbelief. She could not believe that this man was taking her out in the morning. From what he was wearing she assumed that this would be a casual date. He looks nice, she thought to herself as her eyes ran over his outfit. He wore a pair of dark wash blue jeans, a white button up shirt with the top button undone along with his trademark leather jacket. Okay so he is down right sexy, she corrected her thoughts. And I’m standing here looking like a homeless person.

"And what exactly should I wear on this date?" She asked.

"Something comfortable and no heels." Scott said letting himself into her home. He sat on her sofa and she rolled her eyes.

"Fine, but it'll take me an hour to get ready."

"Works for me. I see you've got a TV, there should be something good on." Scott picked up the remote and flipped through the channels.

An hour later, Deidre stepped out of her room and into the living area where Scott was sitting. "I'm ready," she said pulling her own brown leather jacket over her shoulders. Underneath the jacket was a plum colored fitted dress shirt that she dressed down with dark blue boot cut jeans.

"Great. Let's get going." Scott smiled as he got up from where he was sitting and turned off the TV. Deidre picked up her purse and the two were out the door.

Scott drove for about ten minuets before Deidre began to get curious. "So, where exactly are we going?" She asked.

"I'm not going to answer that question."

"Why not?"

"You know Deidre there's this new concept where you don't find out any information until it is given to you. It's called a surprise." Scott said.

"So are you not telling me because you don't know or because you think I won't like it?"

"Neither. I know exactly where we're going and I know you will enjoy it." Scott smiled.

Deidre rolled her eyes and threw her back into the seat. "I don't do surprises very well, so you might as well just tell me already."

"Sorry, Deidre but you'll have to wait and see."

Scott drove for another twenty minuets before they reached their destination. Both Deidre and Scott stepped out of the car. Deidre looked around at the nearly empty parking lot. "Scott, I think you've got your days mixed up. There's no one here."

"There is someone here and I didn't get my days mixed up. Leave your bag in the car." He said as he put on a pair of sunglasses.

Deidre did as she was told and followed Scott into the speedway. She looked around and spotted a few guys standing at one of the pit stops next to a racecar. Deidre looked at Scott with a huge smile on her face. "You're kidding me right?" She asked excited.

"Nope not kidding.” Scott smiled and shook his head. “Why are you excited?"

"Scott," one of the men yelled out as he walked up to the couple "How are you doing?"

"I'm good Jon, this is Deidre James. Deidre, Jon Martin he's a friend.” Scott introduced the two of them.

"Nice to meet you Jon," Deidre said extending her hand.

"Likewise. So, have you ever driven one of these cars before?" Jon asked.

"No, although I've always wanted to." Deidre said.

"Alright then. We'll start off giving you a basic driving lesson and then we'll take it from there. Scott's done this a couple of times before."

"It's been a while though Jon. I've gotten pretty busy lately." Scott said.

"Yeah well, let's get you suited up and we'll start the lesson, how does that sound?"

"Perfect." Deidre followed Jon as he showed her everything she needed.

By the time Scott and Deidre had finished up at the speedway, it was close to one o'clock and both of them were hungry. They said their goodbyes to Jon and the rest of the crew and they got in the car.

"So," Scott said. "Are you hungry?"

Deidre looked over to Scott and smiled, "What do you think?"

"I take that as a yes. What are you in the mood for?" He asked as he started the car.

"It doesn't really matter to me. I haven't eaten since you abruptly arrived at my apartment and kidnapped me."

"I did not kidnap you. You voluntarily got into this car. Besides, you have to admit you had fun." Scott said.

"I will neither confirm nor deny that statement."

"Because you had fun." Scott said.

Deidre remained tight-lipped and looked out the window.

“You’re such a lawyer sometimes.”

"So where are you taking me to eat?"

"Well, since you don't have a taste for anything in particular, I'm going to take you to this little Indian restaurant I know of. They have some of the best Tandoori chicken." Scott said.

"Sounds good."

The two rode the rest of the way to the restaurant conversing about everything and nothing at the same time. As they entered the restaurant they were playing twenty-one questions.

"Okay, it's my turn. What sport did you play in high school?" Scott asked after they were seated.

"Believe it or not I played field hockey and lacrosse." Deidre replied.

“Really?” Scott asked surprised.

“I went to a private school. What about you, what sport did you play?"

"I didn't play a sport." Scott said.

"You expect me to believe that?"

"I did not play a sport in high school. I was a band geek, although I did play, what some would consider, the 'cooler' instrument." Scott said as they made their way to the buffet.

When they both returned to the table, they picked up the game where they left off. "What instrument did you play?" Deidre asked.

"I played the drums." He said taking a bite of his chicken. "When you were little, what type of pet did you want?"

"You're not going to believe me."

"Doesn't matter. You still have to answer the question." He said pointing the fork at her.

"I always wanted a Siberian White tiger." She said looking down into her plate. Scott just smiled at her. "What about you? What type of animal did you want?"

"I wanted an emu."

"You're kidding right." Deidre laughed nearly spitting her food out of her mouth.

"Nope."

"Why did you want an emu?"

"They ware very interesting animals and I found them exotic in a way. My turn. What is your biggest fear?"

"I am terrified of heights."

"Really?"

"Yep."

"That's it? You're afraid of heights? Almost everyone is afraid of heights Deidre."

"I have lived here, for five months and still haven’t been up in the Space Needle. I lived in Chicago for most of my life, and I’ve been to Navy Pier several times, but I have never ridden on the Ferris Wheel, or any Ferris Wheel for that matter." Deidre explained.

"But you do fly right?"

"Yeah, for some reason, flying is easy for me."

"You’re so tough; I never pegged you for someone afraid of heights." Scott said.

"Well everyone has their weaknesses right?” Deidre said taking a bite of rice. “What is your greatest fear then?"

"I'm not going to answer that one." Scott said.

"I answered it when you asked."

"My greatest fear is more personal, besides, it doesn't matter." Scott said. "Next question."

"No, I want to know. What is your greatest fear, Scott?"

"Are you finished eating? Because if you are, we can go." Scott said taking the up the bill the waiter had left.

Deidre stood and followed him to the front where he paid for the meal. They walked to the car in silence. The ride back to Deidre's apartment was also quiet. Deidre wanted to know what it was that Scott was so afraid of that he refused to tell her.

When they got back, Scott walked his date up to her apartment. "So, did you have a good time?" He asked as he leaned against her doorframe.

"Yeah I had a lot of fun. This was not what I was expecting."

"What were you expecting then?"

"Well I talked with Emi…"

"Big mistake on your part," Scott interrupted.

Deidre rolled her eyes and continued with what she was about to say. "She said you tend to take women out to and I quote 'some artsy thing and an expensive restaurant.'"

"Usually, with other women I do." Scott said.

"Then why didn't you?"

"Because, you're not like the other women I ask out. You're my friend and I like to think I know you. I know what you like." He explained.

"Well then, I guess I should thank you for taking me out on a 'custom' date."

"It was my pleasure. Are you up for doing this again?” Scott asked. “Can I go ahead and plan another 'custom date'?"

"I'll think about it. But if I say yes, you have to promise you'll tell me what you're afraid of Scott."

"What is it with you and ultimatums?” Scott asked.

“I like to get what I want.” Deidre said.

Scott smirked, “I will, perhaps tell you about my greatest fear, maybe one day."

Deidre smiled. “That’s not a definitive answer.”

“What can I say? I’m good at being vague.” Scott laughed

"That’s not always a good thing.”

Scott shrugged his shoulders.

“Goodnight Dr. Walker. I'll see you on Monday morning." Deidre said laughing and shaking her head.

"You know you want me James." Scott smiled as he walked down the hall backwards.

She watched him leave. The moment he disappeared from her sight, she felt someone dimmed the lights. Deidre James was beginning to fall for Scott Walker, and she did not like that idea. Not because she did not like Scott, but rather she was afraid of what would happen if he broke her, because she had a feeling he was the only one who could.

 

Date Two by carolinaheart

 

It had been a week since their first date at the racetrack, and Deidre had already agreed to go on another date with Scott. That Saturday morning Deidre was dressed and ready, despite the fact that Scott had not hinted or talked about their next date. Deidre had her umbrella waiting by the door, just in case the ominous clouds decided to bring rain.

There was a knock on her door, and Deidre got up from where she was flipping through a magazine to answer it.

"Hey Scott," She smiled.

"Hey. Are you going somewhere?" He asked.

"Isn't that why you're here?"

He smirked and nodded his head. "Touché."

"So where are we going today?"

"You really think I'm going to tell you?" He asked as the pair walked down her building stairs.

"You know I do not do surprises."

"Well, I guess you better get used to them because I'm all about surprises." Scott said getting into his car.

After they'd been driving for a few minuets, Deidre broke the silence. "So, You’re really not going to tell me where we’re going?”

“How many times do we have to go through the concept of a surprise?” Scott laughed. He glanced at her from the corner of his eye. Deidre was pouting.

They drove for a while longer in silence. “I have a question for you.” Scott said.

“Yes.”

“Why’d you become a lawyer?”

“Some days I don’t even know myself.” Deidre laughed.

“I’m serious. It’s obvious you’re passionate about your job. But I would like to know the reason for the passion.”

Deidre thought for a few moments to gather her thoughts. “I guess I was fascinated by the law. There are so many facets and intricacies to different legislation.”

“So when did you decide to go to law school and become a lawyer?”

“I think it was the beginning of my first semester junior year. I finally got into this course dedicated to the constitution. Reading it, and gaining a better understanding of what it said kind of made me want to learn more about it.”

“So why not go to grad school; study political science and the way people interpret the constitution and how it had changed over the years?”

Deidre smiled. “That I can answer easily. My mom talked me into it. She always supported what I wanted to do, but she is very practical. I brought the idea of grad school up and she said, ‘Why not just go to law school. That way when you get out, you’ll have a marketable skill.’ And to be honest, I’m happy she talked me out of graduate school and into law school.”

“How’d you get into medical law?”

“The summer after my first year I interned at this firm where their only cases involved suing doctors and hospitals.”

“They were ambulance chasers,” Scott supplied.

“Exactly. That summer I did see a few cases where the hospital was genuinely in the wrong. But most of those cases were frivolous. I felt like I couldn’t sit on the sidelines and watch as hospitals who were trying to help people, had to shell out a lot of money to lazy people. Don’t get me wrong. You doctors do some dumb shit that I’ve had to clean up. And there are firms where the majority of the cases they take are not frivolous law suits. But I look around and it seems like there are more lawyers who when they see ambulances they see dollar signs than lawyers like me, who see hard working people just trying to help others. I know the figures would probably show there are an equal number of both, but this is just how I feel.” Deidre explained.

“You know most people around the hospital don’t see that. They kind of think you’re a bit of a bitch.” Scott said.

“Yeah, I know that. I’m hard on everyone because I don’t want to see the same mistakes come up over and over again. It’s bad for everyone when a lawsuit comes up against the hospital. One small mistake can cost the hospital millions which could end up with someone losing their job or a department not being able to get that new machine that will revolutionize the way the hospital practices medicine. I just… I just try to see the big picture.”

The two lapsed, once again, into a comfortable silence for the rest of the ride.

They arrived at a putt-putt golf course just as the clouds began to dissipate. The course also happened to be next to a small pizzeria.

"Putt-putting Scott?” Deidre asked.

"It'll be fun, you'll see." Scott got out of the car.

"Why this place? There are plenty of putt-putt courses closer to my apartment, which by the way did not require a thirty minuet drive and a ride on the ferry." Deidre said getting out of the car.

"Just trust me on this one." Scott and Deidre walked up to the booth and picked out their balls and their clubs.

“So, which course do you want to do? Pirates Cove, or the other one over there?” Scott asked while he and Deidre stood in front of the two different paths.

“I’m assuming you are leaning toward pirates cove.” Deidre noted. “Let’s just do that one then.”

Scott smiled and led the way up the path.

The first hole was par 3; Scott knocked his ball in with two putts. Deidre, however, was not as skilled. She was on he fifth putt, and it did not look like she was getting any closer. The ball rolled back down the small hill for the fifth time.

“The object of the game is to get the ball in the hole in as few shots as possible.” Scott said.

“I know that. The stupid ball won’t stay in the little area to go in the hole.” Deidre said stepping up to putt the ball for the sixth time.

“I thought you played field hockey in high school.” Scott joked.

“That was in high school. Besides,” Deidre tapped the ball lightly and it rolled up the hill and into the hole. “These are two different sports. Field hockey required more hand, eye, and foot coordination. And it’s faster paced.”

“Right. Let’s just move on to the next hole shall we?” Scott suggested.

Deidre nodded her head and followed Scott to the next whole. The rest of their game went much the same way as the first hole. Scott sunk his ball at or under par, while Deidre took a few extra putts (and by a few it was more like four or five extra putts).

After the eighteenth hole, they returned their clubs to the booth and left the putt-putt course.

"Did you have fun?" Scott asked.

"Golf isn’t my game.”

“That’s not what I asked.”

Deidre gave Scott a look as if to say, ‘Do I really have to answer that question.’

“It won’t kill you to admit you had fun Deidre.” Scott pushed.

“You win,” Deidre said throwing up her hands. “I had fun. Happy?”

Scott smiled, “Are you?”

 “I’d be better if you would feed me." Deidre joked. “I’m ready to eat now.”

“We can go get pizza.”

Deidre closely looked at Scott. He was smiling, but there was a mischievous glint in his eyes. She narrowed her own eyes before saying, "Really Scott?”

Scott shrugged his shoulders.

“We drive all the way out here just to play putt-putt and eat pizza?" Deidre asked following him to the pizzeria.

"Well there is a bit of a catch.” Scott said holding the door open for Deidre.

"What do you mean a catch?" Deidre asked.

A friendly looking round man stepped out from the back and came to greet them. "Scott, the last time you told me you were coming, you never showed." The man exclaimed as he shook Scott’s hand.

"Yeah, well Marty, I’m here this time, right?"

"Who's this?" Marty asked.

"Deidre James," she said as she shook Marty's hand.

"How do you know Scott?"

"I've known Scott for years, gosh I knew him back in New York when he and the others were just lowly interns. I used to have a place back in New York but then my father-in-law died and my wife and I inherited this place. Lovely right?" Marty explained.

"Yeah, it's nice." Deidre agreed.

"So are you two ready?"

Deidre looked to Scott confused by what Marty meant. "I'm always ready, and Deidre’s a little hungry as well."

"Well, follow me." The three of them walked back into a kitchen where a younger man was throwing pizza dough in the air.

"Scott," Deidre looked at him skeptically. "What are we going to be doing?"

"Making pizza of course." He smiled.

"You two can wash your hands over there. When you're done, we can get started." Marty said pointing to a sink.

After washing their hands, Scott and Deidre dawned aprons so they would not mess up their clothes.

"Now the first thing we do is knead the dough, so put a little flour on your hands and do what I do." Marty said.

Scott and Deidre did as they were told and imitated Marty's motions.

"Hey Marty," a voice called from somewhere in the front of the restaurant.

"Yeah?"

"I need you up here."

"Oh, alright. Looks like I'm in high demand. Scott you've done this before. I'm sure you can show your lovely companion the ropes." And with that Marty left the two of them alone.

"Deidre," Scott said.

"What?" She asked turning to face him. As soon as she did he blew flour from his hands into her face. She glared at him. "That was not funny. You got flour in my hair!" He just laughed. “It’s a good thing I have an appointment Monday morning.” Deidre said.

They continued to knead the dough for a while. Then Deidre got the urge for payback. As Scott concentrated on working the pizza dough, she picked up a pile of flour and poured it into his hair. "There, now we're even."

Scott shook his head and caused the flour to fly everywhere. He smirked at Deidre. “You decided to take a while before you exacted your revenge.”

Deidre shrugged her shoulders and smiled sweetly.

"I think its time we try tossing the dough in the air." Scott suggested.

"And you know how to do this?"

"Of course. Watch and learn." Scott threw the dough into the air and began to make it into a circle, just like the professionals.

"You continue to amaze me Scott Walker." Deidre said. She watched as the shape of the pizza began to show. When he was done, he placed it back onto the work area and got out the sauce.

"Even you can do this Deidre." Scott said showing her how to spread the sauce. After he finished his demonstration, he handed the ladle to Deidre who mimicked his earlier actions.

Deidre looked up from what she was doing. "Aren't you going to do something?" She asked seeing that he was just watching her.

"Yeah watch you cook?" He smiled.

Deidre stuck her tongue out just as Scott snapped a picture. Her playful look turned to one of shock and embarrassment. "You will erase that picture." She knew that she looked a mess. Her hair had fallen out of place and she had flour all over her.

"Nope, not gonna' happen. See I want to keep this as black mail." Scott said as he put the camera away.

After they finished making the pizza and eating the two headed back to Deidre's apartment. When they parked on the ferry, they both got out of the car.

Deidre leaned over the railing and looked out at the water, while Scott had his back to the water and was playing with the camera. He smiled as he flipped through the pictures.

"What are you smiling at?"

"This," Scott showed Deidre the picture he had taken of her in the pizzeria kitchen.

"Hey let me see."

"No way, you are just going to erase it. Then what will I use for black mail?" Scott asked holding the camera out of her reach.

"Scott Walker you will give me the camera." She said snatching it out of his hand.

"Hey, that's mine."

"My god Scott you sound like a four year old." She said as she tried to find the picture again.

When Deidre looked up she saw Scott smirking. She quickly placed her hands behind her back in an effort to keep the camera away from him. It worked up until he decided to kiss her. Deidre felt his lips crash onto hers and she was surprised. She easily gave in and found herself kissing back.

It was not until they separated for air that Deidre realized exactly what Scott had done. She saw it in the smirk on his face. Kissing her was a distraction. While she was lost in the moment, Scott had taken the camera out of her hands.

Damn him and his distracting lips, Deidre thought. "That was not …" She was interrupted by his lips on hers for a second time. His hands on her waist, Scott pulled her closer. Deidre, forgetting about the unflattering picture on Scott’s camera, became completely immersed in her tongue-war with Scott. She slipped her hands around his neck. Ignoring the stairs of other passengers, Deidre and Scott made out until the ferry docked on the other side.

 

Date Three by carolinaheart

 

Monday morning, Deidre ate lunch in the cafeteria with Emi. The two friends discussed everything from rumors of the chief finally announcing his retirement, to the current goings on of their love lives.

"How are things going with Miguel?" Deidre asked.

"Things are going just fine. I do feel like I'm missing a lot though. The two of us have not just hung out in a while, and I think I've also missed a few bar nights."

"That you have."

"So I was thinking you and I could do a girl's night Friday. We can go to a bar and then hang out at my apartment, or yours, watch movies. You know do the stuff we used to do before we both became too busy.” Emi suggested.

Deidre looked at Emi and shook her head. "Sorry, but Friday is not going to work. I have a date."

"I thought you and Scott went out on Saturday mornings."

"Well, he's changing it up. We're going to a downtown five-star restaurant."

"Really, then we should go shopping Wednesday or Thursday," said Emi.

"Why do we need to go shopping?" Deidre asked confused.

"You need a killer dress Deidre."

"I have a killer dress. I was planning on wearing the same one I wore on Valentine's Day."

"You’re serious? Didn't you run into him at a bar that night?"

"Yes."

"Were you wearing that dress?"

"Yes."

"So he's seen you in it. You need something that he hasn't seen you in yet Deidre. Are you following me?"

Once again Deidre screwed up her face and looked at Emi. What Emi was suggesting seemed like nonsense to Deidre. Why let a perfectly nice dress she'd only worn once go to waste? "Not really."

"That's okay. Wednesday after work we are going to the store and getting you a dress. No ifs ands or buts about it." Emi said definitively.

Deidre rolled her eyes and got up from their table. "I have a meeting to get to." Deidre smiled.

Wednesday evening, Emi and Deidre arrived at the mall, much to Deidre’s dismay. Deidre did not enjoy shopping as much as most women. There were times when she felt the need to by new clothes or shoes, but she was not going to go out and spend money on a new outfit every time she had a date.

The two women went right to one of the more expensive boutique stores. They perused the overpriced dresses on the racks, in search of the "perfect dress."

"I still don't understand the purpose of us being here." Deidre said pulling a red dress from the rack.

"That doesn't matter. As long as we get you a dress, our mission will be complete. By the way the dress you're holding is hideous."

"I was thinking the same thing. All of the dresses in here look just as hideous."

"On that point, I agree. Time for store number two." Emi said pulling guiding her friend out of the store.

The dresses in the next store were very different from the first. They were more classy and elegant but fun. Emi immediately picked out four dresses for Deidre to try. "Here," she handed Deidre the four dresses, each a different color—red, black, blue, and green—and a different style.

Deidre rolled her eyes. "You really want me to try on all four of these dresses?" She said as she walked to the dressing rooms.

“Yes, Deidre. I can’t understand why you don’t enjoy shopping.” Emi said.

“I guess I’ve just never been ‘one of those girls.’” Deidre said.

Emi sat outside in one of the comfortable chairs and waited for Deidre to finish putting on the first dress. When she came out with the first dress on, Emi shook her head. Deidre tried on the black dress and then the green one. Emi gave both dresses thumbs down. When Deidre came out in the blue dress, Emi smiled. "That is the perfect dress, Deidre. Scott will love it."

"You think so?" Deidre asked looking at herself in the mirror.

"Of course I'm sure."

 

Friday night came much faster than Deidre expected. She was running late, and she hated running late. At the hospital there was a last minute development to the case she was working on, and Deidre was not been able to leave the hospital until six thirty, which meant she did not get home until seven o'clock, an hour before Scott was supposed to pick her up for their date. She was running around her apartment trying to be ready when he knocked on the door. As she put her other earring into her ear, the knock came. Deidre smoothed out her dress and picked up her clutch.

When the door opened fully, Scott got a full view of the woman he was taking out to dinner. Deidre wore her hair down in the same style she wore to work; she did not have time to try and pull it back. Her dress was a deep dark blue, almost like the night sky. It was a V-neck and appeared to be a halter. The dress was empire cut and flowed nicely out from her body. "You look amazing," Scott complemented.

Deidre smiled, "Emi thought you'd say that."

"Are you ready to go?" Scott asked.

"Let me just grab my coat." She turned around and walked back into the apartment to get her coat, which was hanging in her closet. When she turned away, Scott was able to see the back of her dress was not what he thought. The straps crossed in the back.

After helping her into her coat, Scott took Deidre by the arm and the two walked into the night.

About forty-five minuets after Scott got to Deidre's apartment; the pair arrived at the fancy five-star Italian restaurant. Deidre smirked as the two walked in, "You must have a thing for Italian food Scott. You make lasagna from scratch, last week we had pizza and today we're eating here."

Scott shrugged his shoulders as they followed the maître-d to their table. "Have you eaten here before?" Deidre asked as she perused the menu for something that sounded good.

"No, but everyone I've asked said it's one of the best restaurants in the city."

"Ok then. Do you know what you want?"

"I'm not sure. What do you plan on getting?"

"I think I'll order the Turtei con Aragosta," Deidre said.

"That looks good; do you want to try their calamari for an appetizer?" Scott asked.

"Sure why not."

Shortly after they had decided what they wanted, their waiter arrived and took their orders. The two looked at each other for a while, before either of them broke the silence.

"Are you an only child?" Deidre asked Scott.

"I have a step brother and a half sister."

"Oh, what are they like."

"My sister is twenty-five and she jus finished up with her Master's degree in marketing. I actually talked to her earlier this week; she's received job offers from all over the country. My stepbrother is three year older than me. He is a partner for a law firm in North Carolina. He is also married with three children, a four year old, an eight year old and a ten year old. I don't know how he does it. I've baby sat for them a couple of times and my niece and nephews are not the best children in the world." Scott laughed. "Do you have any siblings?"

"I have a twin brother."

"Really?"

"Yes. He got married two years ago and they are expecting their first child. I think my parents are more excited than they are." Deidre said taking a sip of her water. "You haven’t always lived in Seattle have you?"

"No, actually I grew up in Vermont and Massachusetts. When my parents got divorced, my mom moved to Massachusetts and my dad stayed in Vermont. I spent the school year with my mom and the summer with my dad. And you grew up in Chicago right?"

"Not exactly in Chicago, but in one of the suburbs. It’s easier to just say I’m from the city than to explain."

“I see. Are you a Bears fan then?” Scott asked.

"Born and bred. I've been to quite a few games. I keep telling myself I’m going to buy season passes.”

"If you got them you'd go back for the games?"

"Of, course. I would fly back for every home game."

"You truly are a die hard fan of a pretty sorry team"

Deidre gasped and feigned shock, “Hey that is not true. The Bears are a damned good team. What is your favorite football team anyway?"

"The New York Giants," Scott smiled.

"Really?”

“Yeah, they were my favorite team when I was a kid. The passion I had for them just grew over the years.”

“You must have been devastated when they lost the Super Bowel in 2001.”

"There may have been a few tears that night. I couldn’t bring myself to watch the last half of the last quarter. Thirty-four to seven, that was the score.

"You're kidding? I’m not talking about the score but the fact that you cried." Deidre asked with a grin on her face.

Scott smiled and shook his head. "Not many mind you but a few."

"Wow, the big bad Scott Walker crying over a football game. I have got to tell Emi."

"If you tell Emi, I'll have to kill you." Scott joked.

"Fine I won't tell her."

As they finished their conversation about family and football, their food came. They ate and continued talking about their childhood and favorite sports teams. After they finished and Scott paid for dinner, they got in the car and made their way back to Deidre's apartment.

On the ferry ride home, the two stood by the railing, looking out into the night. "So Dr. Walker, did you always want to be a plastic surgeon?"

"What do you mean?"

"When you were little, did you want go to your mom and say ‘hey I want to be a doctor?’ Or was there something else you wanted to do?" Deidre asked.

"Not really. When I was little all I wanted to do was be a racecar driver. My room was modeled after a pit stop on a racetrack. I eventually grew out of that though."

"Not completely, you still go out to the track and drive the cars." Deidre pointed out.

"What can I say; I'm just a big kid at heart. What about you, what did you want to do?"

"Promise you won't laugh when I tell you."

"I can give you no guarantee."

Deidre rolled her eyes. "All I wanted to do was to be a cashier at a grocery store so I could press the buttons on the register."

Scott looked at her, and tried very hard not to laugh.

"I thought the buttons were so cool. Needless to say, I never worked at a grocery store."

"Do you still want to be able to press the buttons?" Scott laughed.

"Making fun of me will get you no where Scott Walker."

"I can't help it. It's so easy to do."

Deidre punched him in the arm, hard enough to leave a bruise later on. "That hurt." Scott said.

"Yeah well, it's your own fault." Deidre then walked away to the other side of the ferry.

Scott followed her and stood next to her when she stopped. She stared down in the water and watched the waves hit the boat. Even though Deidre felt his presence beside her, she ignored Scott.

"If I apologize will you look at me?"

Deidre continued to ignore him and watched, as the lights on the other side of the shore grew closer.

"I'm sorry for making fun of your love of grocery store buttons." Scott said.

Deidre smiled and turned around, "and…"

"And it will never happen again."

"And…"

"And what?" Scott asked.

Deidre paused for a moment and then laughed to herself, "And the Bears are not a sorry team. In fact, as a franchise, they’re better than the NY Giants”

Scott shook his head, "I don't think I can comply with the last part of this apology. For me to utter those words would be blasphemous.”

“Then I don’t think I can accept your apology,” Deidre said.

Scott move closer and invaded Deidre’s space, “How about instead I do this…" Scott lifted her chin so that their lips met in a tender kiss.

"I think I can live with that, for now. But one day Scott, you will recognize the superiority of the Chicago Bears." Deidre said.

"Whatever you say." Scott laughed as they walked back to the car before the ferry reached the dock.

 

Fireworks by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

So this is the chapter where I was going to attempt to write something a little less PG, but I chickened out (I haven't quite worked up to that style of writing). Ergo, the rating change, sorry to dissapoint. But to make it up to you I'm posting this chapter and four others tonight. So stick around.

Scott, Deidre, Emi and Miguel sat outside in the park watching the Fourth of July fireworks. Earlier in the evening, Scott and Miguel attempted to grill hotdogs and hamburgers, but it did not go so well. They ended up burning everything and the four went out to eat.

"I thought you said you knew how to grill Scott," Deidre said as the fireworks went off overhead. “I find it kind of ironic that you can't because you’ve cooked for me in the past. I mean you make pasta from scratch. Grilling shouldn’t be that hard.”

"I do know how to grill, it's just these park grills are a little harder to use."

"Right."

"Had I'd known neither of you could grill, I would have done it myself. Grilling is an artform that you obviously have not mastered." Emi said.

"You can grill?" Scott asked.

"You’re not the only chef here Scott. Em is a pretty good cook and grilling happens to be one of her specialties." Miguel explained.

"Then why wasn't she grilling in the first place?" Deidre asked.

"Because I can grill, and typically men man the grill." Scott said.

Deidre rolled her eyes, "Scott, you realize we live in the 21st century. I need for you to join me in it”

"I was kidding." He laughed.

Emi threw a ball of aluminum foil at Scott while Deidre punched him in the arm. "Why are you attacking me?" Scott asked as he looked to Miguel for help.

"Don't look at me. You got yourself into this mess. I know how not to offend the woman I’m dating."

As the last of the fireworks went off, the four friends gathered their things, packing up the blankets and remnants of the ice cream they bought after dinner. "We should do this again. But next time I'm cooking. Never let a man do a job a woman can do better," Emi said, shouldering her purse.

"I agree." Deidre said, looking at the two men that stood in front of them. Scott rolled his eyes while Miguel smiled and remained silent.

They all waved goodbye and the two couples got into their separate cars and headed to their separate destinations.

Scott pulled up to Deidre's building and turned off the car. "We are here,” Scott said opening the door.

"So it seems," Deidre got out and went to the back seat to get the blankets. Scott walked over to her side and took the items out of her hands. " Thanks."

"Today was fun," Scott said as they climbed the stairs.

“Yeah, but it would have been much better if you and Miguel knew how to cook food on a grill." Deidre unlocked her door and stepped inside. Scott followed her and put the blankets on an empty armchair.

Deidre walked into the kitchen, getting two beers out of the refrigerator. She then returned to where Scott had sat down on the sofa and sat down next to him.

"Emi is right we do need to hang out more. Our bar nights have become few and far between. I like watching you beat her in darts." Scott said.

"Or we could go to the billiards bar. She still hasn't been there yet. Emi claims she's an expert, when it comes to playing pool. She and I could kill you and Miguel."

"That is what you think."

Deidre smiled, "That's what I know." She took a sip of beer and then leaned her head back on the sofa.

Scott watched as she closed her eyes and her breathing began to even out. He smiled in wonder as he thought; even doing something as simple as breathing she is beautiful. "You know Deidre, you're hot."

"You are just trying to get into my pants."

"Is it working?"

"Perhaps," Deidre rolled her head over and looked at Scott. She smiled at his smirk. "What?"

"Nothing."

"There is something, so what?" Deidre asked frustrated.

Scott leaned in and kissed Deidre lightly at first. The kiss deepened quickly and grew into something more than his original intent. His hand slid underneath her shirt and found its way to her bra-clad breast.

Although thoroughly enjoying the feel of Scott’s hand under her shirt and his lips on hers, Deidre pulled away to breathe. "Perhaps we should take this somewhere more comfortable." Deidre suggested as she leaned her head on Scott's forehead.

"I don't know your couch is pretty comfortable." Scott smiled.

Ignoring his comments, Deidre removed Scott’s hand from her shirt, stood and pulled him up. She then proceeded to lead him to her bedroom.

Once inside, Deidre to continued what they started. She had her back to the bed as Scott steered them in the right direction. Before her knees hit the bed, Scott stopped and looked into her eyes, "You sure about this?"

"I never would have pegged you to ask that question Scott."

"Normally I wouldn't, but since we both had a few drinks, I want to make sure this is something you will not regret in the morning."

"I'm perfectly capable of making semi-rational decisions at the moment…"

"Semi-rational?" Scott questioned.

"Well, when you're this close to me Scott it's kind of hard for me to think." Deidre explained.

"Oh." Scott laughed.

"As I was saying, before you interrupted me, I definitely will not regret this in the morning." Deidre said. Emphasizing her statement, she ran her hands down his chest and gathered his t-shirt in her hands.

Scott lifted his arms while Deidre removed his shirt.

Scott smiled, "Good." He continued to guide them to the bed until Deidre's knees hit and she fell backwards onto the bed.

The sun lit the room and Deidre strained her eyes, trying to get her bearings. As her eyes began to adjust to the light streaming in, Deidre turned to see Scott's amused eyes string at her. "What?" she asked.

"You look so harmless in the morning." Scott said.

Deidre took the pillow that was behind her head and slapped him in the face. She then leaned down and kissed him. "Good morning Scott."

"Morning Deidre. I don't appreciate being hit in the face with a pillow first thing in the morning."

"I don't appreciate being called harmless; it's bad for my reputation. If word got out that I’m a softie, then I would not be able to do my job properly.” Deidre retaliated.

"I know, and that's one of the reasons I love you."

Deidre sat silently in the bed for a moment in shock, as she grasped what Scott had just said. She then smiled, "You know, most men say that before they sleep with a woman, not after."

"Yeah well, I want more than just good sex Deidre."

"That's a relief."

"Why is that?"

"Because I think I've fallen for you Dr. Walker." Deidre smiled and looked at her bed companion who had a smug smile on his face. "Don't let it go to your head Scott." Deidre lay back down and rested her head on Scott's bare chest.

 

Hannah by carolinaheart

"I was creative in my date plans, that’s something else new." Scott said leaning back in the passenger seat of the car. He was beginning to understand the type of relationship he had with his wife. And how he won her over.

“Yeah, you were quite creative.” Deidre said.

Scott closed his eyes and was enjoying the ride. As the car slowed down, Scott looked out of the window. It seemed as if all of Seattle decided it was a good time to go for a drive. The road was backed up with traffic.

“I talked to Hannah,” Deidre said jolting Scott out of his musings.

“What?” Scott said confused

 “I talked to Hannah and she'll be over at the house in a few hours."

"Hannah, as in my sister?"

"Yes, your sister Hannah."

"When did she move here?" Scott asked.

"About five months after we started dating."

"I never thought Hannah would leave the big apple. When she moved there for college, she told me that she couldn't see herself living anywhere else but there."

"She surprised you when she came here and your parents too." Deidra said.

 

It was September, five months had already passed since Scott and Deidra had started dating. Saturday nights were their movie nights, but this Saturday was different. Scott had worked instead of taking off like he usually did. He got home a few hours before Deidra was due to come over with movies and Chinese food. When he reached the door of his apartment, he found his way blocked by a blonde with brown eyes sitting in front of his door.

"What the hell are you doing here, Hannah?" He asked pulling the young woman off of the floor and into a hug.

“I’m waiting for you.” She said.

“That much I gathered. But what are you doing in Seattle?”

"Well, I got a job offer; it was the best one, so I took it. Mom and Dad were surprised when I told them I was moving out here, but they supported my decision."

Scott unlocked his door and the two walked into the apartment. "So, where are you staying, have you found a place yet?"

"Nope I'm still searching. But, for now I'm staying in a hotel. I remember you told that you’ve been seeing someone and I do not want to be here on the nights she stays over."

"I see," Scott said walking into his bedroom to put up his briefcase.

"When do I get to meet this girlfriend of yours?" Hannah asked picking up a statue and looking it over.

"She's actually coming over tonight to watch movies. She's supposed to be bringing Chinese food. So do you want to play checkers until she gets here?" Scott asked as he came out from the back. Checkers with Hannah was special for Scott. He had taught her to play when she was younger and it was the way they bonded.

"Sure." Hannah sat down at the table. "I still can't believe you've been seeing the same woman for five months, and you haven't cheated on her and she’s not married. That's like some kind of record for you Scott."

Hannah knew her brother very well. She knew he had a tendency to date tall model-type women, and she knew he had a long record of infidelity.

"Whatever, Hannah. Just make your move already."

Exactly an hour after they commenced their first game of checkers, there was a knock on the door. Scott just happened to be in the bathroom at that time. Hannah got up from her position on at the table and answered the door.

"Hello," she said to the woman on the other side.

"Um hi. Who are you?"

Hannah smiled, "I'm Hannah, Scott's beloved little sister and you are?"

"Deidra James. He didn't tell me you were going to be here." She said stepping into the apartment.

Hannah studied Scott's guest. She looked her up and down and decided that this could not be the woman her brother was dating. Deidra was not Scott's type. She was beautiful, yes, but she definitely could not pass for a model; she was too short. Then again, Hannah really didn't know what her brother’s type was. She remembered from her childhood hearing her brother Kevin saying anything with two legs and a vagina was Scott's type. Hannah laughed inwardly at the memory; she remembered after Kevin had said that, she went to her parents and asked what it meant. Needless to say, Kevin was severely punished for making those types of comments in front of her.

Hannah watched as Deidra made herself at home. She had put her light jacket on a chair and took the food into the kitchen. "Where's Scott?"

"I'm right here," he said coming out of the bathroom. "Did you get the…"

"It's in there. Have I ever forgotten to get it?" She asked interrupting him before he could finish the questions.

"That is one of the many reasons I love you." Scott said as he placed a kiss on her cheek.

Deidra rolled her eyes and went to the refrigerator. "Funny, I always thought it was because I'm hot, I'm good in bed, and I have more athletic ability than you." Deidra said, making a reference to their newest game of who’s better.

"That too, except for the thing about athletic ability, because I do recall kicking your ass last week when we played basketball with Callie and Miguel."

Hannah watched the entire scene play out in front of her and was mesmerized by what she saw. She had never met a woman who could dish what her brother served right back to him. To be honest, they seemed a little like an old married couple. Maybe there was more to their relationship than the obvious physical attraction between the two of them.

"So Deidra, Scott said you were supposed to bring a movie." Hannah said interrupting them.

"I did but it looks like the two of you are having a fun time playing board games I'd like to join in. Are you any good at scrabble?" Deidra smirked.

"I can hold my own, why?"

"If you team up with Scott, you might actually make a formidable opponent." Deidra said.

"What do you mean?"

"I have played Deidre in Scrabble quite a few times,” Scott explained. "I've never come close to winning against her. I think it has something to do with all those legal terms floating around in her head. Although, I am getting better."

Deidra rolled her eyes and sat down at the table.

"I'm in then. I have a pretty extensive vocabulary." Hannah said sitting back in her vacated chair.

"I hope you know more words than your brother. He's terrible at this game."

"Hey, that's not a nice thing to say."

"Hey is for horses. And I can't help it if it's true Scott."

"But I've been getting better," Scott whined.

Deidra rolled her eyes and handed Hannah the bag. "Here pick a letter."

After watching the interaction between Deidra and Scott, Hannah knew that this woman was the perfect match for her brother and that one day, in the not so distant future, she would become her sister-in-law.

End Notes:

Hannah's picture will be posted as soon as I get the rest of the chapters uploaded.

Old Friend by carolinaheart

 

October rolled around, with it came fall and a large medical conference. One attendee, a world-class pediatric surgeon, had ties to the city in the form of old friends and colleagues. So, during her down time, she decided to visit the hospital where she used to work and catch-up on the gossip she had missed out on while she was gone.

Natalie Bishop entered Seattle Regional Hospital on a mission. Determined, she walked down the halls feeling like nothing had changed. But things were different; there were new faces that did not recognize the gorgeous, statuesque, brown-haired doctor roaming the halls.  With each step she took, it seemed as if every head turned to notice.

Wanting to drop in on her old boss, Natalie made her way to Dr. Henry Martin's office ignoring the stares she received from the male staff of Seattle Regional.

Dr. Henry Martin was the chief of surgery who was waffling back and forth between retirement and staying on at the hospital. He looked up from his paperwork at the knock on his door. "Come in," he said.

Natalie stepped in and smiled. "Dr. Martin, I thought you would have retired by now.”

“Natalie Bishop,” Henry said standing up to give her a hug. “I didn’t know you would be in town.”

“Yeah, I’m here with the medical convention. So, how have things been going around here? I presume it’s gone to hell since I left.” Natalie joked sitting down.

“We’ve been able to manage just fine without you Nat.”

The two sat silently for a little while enjoying each other’s company.

“You know,” said Henry, “I’m still upset with you.”

“Why?”

“We invest our time and energy into grooming you to be the best damn pediatric surgeon out there, and then spend only two years here after your residency. You just up and left us.”

“Oh, don’t give me that sob story, you have a couple of pretty brilliant surgeons here. If I recall correctly, Scott and Chase became the rock-stars around here.” Natalie laughed.

Henry laughed with Natalie. “They kind of did, didn’t they?”

“Speaking of the two of them, I’m going to go see if I can track them down. It’s about lunchtime. They should be in the cafeteria. I’ll talk with you later.” Natalie got up and left the chief’s office and went in search of her old friends.

Natalie easily found Chase; he was sitting at a table in the cafeteria by himself. From the looks of it, he was reading a chart or catching-up on some paperwork.

“Hey there, Chase.” Natalie said sitting down at the table.

Chase looked up and smiled, “Natalie, what are you doing here?”

“Just in town for a conference. How’re things going? Do you still have the interns falling all over you?”

Chase shook his head and laughed, “I never had the interns falling all over me. But things are going pretty well. I thought the chief was going to retire, but he changed his mind. I’m pretty sure when he does decide to go, I’ll be up for the position.”

“Really, you don’t think you’ll have a little competition from the plastic’s golden boy?”

Chase’s expression instantly changed, “let’s not talk about that.”

“Alright,” Natalie said confused. “Do you have any idea where he is?” She asked looking around the cafeteria hoping to catch a glimpse of her old friend. The two of them had a somewhat different relationship.

“I saw his name on the board, so he might be in surgery. I actually need to be heading into surgery as well. It was good seeing you, we should do drinks later.” Chase stood up and left.

Natalie sat alone in the cafeteria and people watched. While she was there, she saw two women, both of African decent, walk into the cafeteria and sit down in a far corner. One woman was dressed in scrubs while the other wore khaki pants and a harvest orange blouse. She did not pay them much attention until she saw Scott walk up to their table. Natalie got up and began to walk that way. Before she could make it across the room, Scott had walked back out of the cafeteria.

Natalie weaved her way through the tables, trying to follow Scott. By the time she reached the room’s exit, he was nowhere in sight.

Throughout the rest of the day, Natalie observed the dynamics of the hospital. She watched the nurses interact with the doctors and the doctors interact with the patients. The entire time she continued to keep a look out for Dr. Walker. When it became obvious that he was too busy to be distracted during the day, Natalie made up her mind to visit him at his home in the evening.

 

Scott walked around his apartment cleaning up, organizing things by putting objects in their rightful place. He had talked earlier in the evening to Deidre and told her about how full his day was. In response, she told him she would come over so the two could unwind together. So when a knock on the door came a few minuets after eight, Scott was not surprised. He was, however, surprised by who stood on the other side of the door.

"Hey handsome," Natalie smiled.

"Natalie, what are you doing here?"

"Well, I am in town for a conference. I came by the hospital earlier, but you were busy." Natalie explained side stepping Scott and entering his home.

"I know about the conference, I saw the chief and he told me you were in town. But what are you doing here, at my apartment?"

"Oh, come on Scott. I’m in town for a few days so I thought...” Natalie said seductively. We used to have so much fun together before I left: secret rendezvous in the hospital’s on-call rooms, private lunches."

"I remember that, but I'm seeing someone at the moment so I think it would be best if you left."

"Really Scott? It’s not like that ever stopped you before. Scott, you never could handle the type of temptation I bring. You slept with me when you and Claire were together, and when you and Liz were together, and when you and Ally were together…”

“Okay, I get the point but…”

“I'm the reason those relationships did not work out." Natalie said as she brought herself nose to nose with the slightly taller man.

"As far as my past relationships not working out, you were only part of the problem. I'm perfectly capable of handling myself."

"Then why are you trying to kick me out?" Natalie asked.

"You'll be disappointed by the fact that I can resist you and that I want nothing to do with you."

"That I don't believe." Natalie leaned in and tried to initiate a passionate kiss with Scott. He, however, did not respond to her advances.

What Scott did respond to, was the sound of the door being pushed all the way open and Deidre's voice. "So, I brought movies, food and ice…" She stopped mid-sentence as she witnessed the scene that was taking place in Scott's apartment.

Everything seemed to happen so slowly, but at the same time, the moment flew pass. Scott pushed Natalie away from him, but the damage was already done. Deidre had left the room, as quickly as she came in. Scott glared at Natalie and then followed Deidre out of the room. Natalie just stared as she watched Scott, the man who used to care less about what his girlfriend of the moment thought about his escapades, rushed out after a woman.

By the time Scott got down to the parking lot, Deidre's car was already speeding out onto Seattle's busy streets.

"Damn it," he said as he went back up to his apartment.

"What the hell are you still doing here?" Scott asked.

Natalie was still in his apartment sitting on the couch. She was not quite sure what to say. In the past, whenever one of Scott's girlfriends walked in on the two of them together, he would shrug his shoulders and let the woman leave. He'd never stopped what they were doing to go after his girlfriend after she had stormed out. "You've changed."

"What?" Scott sat down in a chair.

"You ran after her." Natalie said quietly. They were fuck-buddies yes, but she cared about him.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"You've never done that before."

"I told you I was seeing someone Natalie."

"But this, this is serious. I guess my first clue should have been when you tried to thwart my advances."

"That was a major hint." Scott said sitting down on the couch defeated.

"I'm sorry."

Scott snorted, shook his head, and stood up. "Whatever Natalie. Could you just leave now?"

"Scott I really am sorry. I didn't think she meant that much to you. To be honest, I didn’t think you were dating anyone. I didn’t here anything about it in the hospital rumor mill today. Who is she anyway? I saw her in the cafeteria earlier.”

“She’s one of the hospital’s lawyers. And we’re trying to keep everything just between us.”

"Oh. She means a lot to you, doesn't she?" Natalie asked.

"Yes she does. Now that we've gotten that settled, can you leave?"

"I'll see you around then Scott. Goodnight." Natalie got her things together and left the apartment.

After Natalie left, Scott picked up the phone and called Emi.

 

Deidre paced around Emi's apartment while Emi watched her. "I should've known the man hadn't changed. Emi what the hell was I thinking getting involved with a man whore?"

Emi shook her head. She could not believe that Scott would do that to Deidre; the man had been trying to prove to her that he had changed. "What happened after you left?"

"What do you mean? I came straight here."

"Did he follow you?"

"How the hell should I know?"

"Right." Emi watched as Deidre finally sat down next to her.

"Falling in love with Scott Walker was the stupidest thing I've ever done." Deidre said looking at the ceiling.

"Did you just say you're in love with Scott?" Emi asked slightly amused.

"No, I said dating Scott was the stupidest thing I've ever done."

"No you said 'falling in love.' Deidre James I'm shocked." Emi teased.

Deidre shook her head as she realized she had let it slip that she was in fact in love with Scott. As Deidre was about to say something, Emi's cell phone rang.

"Hello," Emi said answering the phone.

"Hey Emi, its Scott."

"I know your voice by now, and your name pops up on the caller ID."

"Right. Look I think I things may have just gotten really bad with Deidre. I’m pretty sure she got the wrong impression"

"Yeah, I know." Emi said looking over at her distressed friend.

"So she's told you."

"You could say that."

“Look she’s either told you or she hasn’t” Scott said through the phone. Emi could tell he was frustrated.

“Yes, she told me what happened.”

Emi looked over at Deidre who was now holding her head in her hands. She could only hear Emi’s side of the conversation.

"You probably won't believe me…” Scott said.

“You’re right I probably won’t.” Emi interrupted.

Scott ignored Emi’s comment and continued with what he was saying. “And I know she won't but I have to tell you. I feel like if I tell you, then maybe you’ll relay it to Deidre.”

“I’m not your translator, or you’re go between Scott.” Emi said.

“I’m telling you anyway. It meant nothing and nothing happened."

Emi rolled her eyes, the classic guy excuse when he is caught having an affair. "Right. It meant nothing. Is that all you can come up with?"

"Emi, it's the truth. Natalie and I have a history. She worked at the hospital a for a few years, but I’m pretty sure you never really ran into her.”

“I know who she is Scott.”

“Right. Well, one could say she was the reason all of my relationships failed. When she showed up at my door this evening, I knew trouble would follow. You can doubt the fact that I tried to get her to leave, but that is also the truth. I would never and could never cheat on Deidre. I love her."

Emi was surprised to hear Scott talk so candidly about his feelings and the evening’s occurrences. He was sincere and Emi believed what he was saying. The sad part was that she knew if he tried to tell Deidre she would not listen. Emi looked over to see Deidre standing up and grabbing her things to go. She waved good-bye and walked out the door.

"So why did you call me first?"

"You know as well as I do that Deidre would not answer her phone if I tried to call. I figured explaining things to you would help me figure out how to explain things to Deidre." Scott said.

"If it helps. I believe you Scott."

"Thanks Emi. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah. Bye." Emi hung up the phone and closed her eyes. The entire day had been eventful and tiring. Emi prayed to god for her friends’ sake that the two of them would resolve things quickly. As bad of a reputation Scott had, Emi was pretty sure the man had changed for the better. Not only that, but Emi knew that he was the best thing that had ever happened to Deidre. Emi remembered the guys Deidre dated in college and the ones since then. Scott was just as good for Deidre, as she was for him. Emi knew that to be a fact. 

 

Apologies by carolinaheart

The day after Deidre caught Scott and Natalie in his apartment Deidre avoided them both like the plague. Avoiding Natalie was not hard because the pediatrician spent the entirety of her day at the conference. Scott, on the other hand was a different story. Deidre had her assistant move meetings around to give her a full schedule.

By lunch, Deidre was getting tired of playing her game of avoiding Scott. She feigned sick and had her assistant redirect her calls to her cell phone. Deidre James went home to think. She considered calling her twin brother, Aaron. But Deidre knew that if she called him and explained what happened chaos would ensue. Deidre smiled at the thought that Aaron James would take the first flight from O'Hare to kill any man who dared to hurt his sister, be it physically or emotionally.

Putting her purse and jacket away, Deidre began to wind down. After taking a shower and ordering takeout, she listened to the messages on her voice mail:

"Hey sis, its me I wanted to know if you still plan on bringing your boyfriend this Christmas. Just call and let me know. Love you."

Beep.

"Deidre, its Emi. You really should talk to Scott. That's all I have to say. Bye."

Beep.

"Deidre, we need to talk. I know nothing I can say right now will get through to you but I at least have to try. Give me a call when you're ready. Bye."

Deidre rolled her eyes at Scott's message. She refused to give into her heart, and rather listened to her head. She erased Scott's message as well as Emi's, but left her brother's on the machine.

 

Another few days went by and Deidre still had not spoke with Scott. Her conversations with Emi avoided the topic altogether.

Around the hospital, people could tell something was going on with the usually cheerful plastic surgeon. And so could Natalie Bishop when she came to the hospital to say goodbye. Natalie decided to talk to Deidre

Close to lunch, Natalie found Deidre sitting alone at a table flipping through case files.

"Ms. James." Natalie said.

"Dr. Bishop." Deidre did not look up from what she was doing to acknowledge the doctor.

"Can I sit down?"

"I don't see why not."

Natalie sat down and looked at her hands for a few minuets. For some odd reason, she felt like she was back in high school. After gathering her thoughts, Natalie sat up straight. "Look Deidre, I need to apologize to you."

"Excuse me?" Deidre said looking up from what she was doing.

"I didn't know that Scott was, and still is, in love with you."

"So he didn't tell you he was seeing anyone."

"No he told me."

"So you just chose to ignore him. That's great." Deidre picked up her files and began to walk away.

Natalie followed her. "Deidre, you really don't understand do you?"

Deidre stopped and turned around. "What is there to understand? I walked in on the man I love making out with you."

Natalie looked around before she walked up to Deidre to explain herself. "First of all, we were not making out. Before I left, it didn't matter if Scott was in a relationship or not, we would still sleep together. I didn't think it would be any different now, but apparently it is. Above everything else, I consider Scott a friend."

"One you just happen to sleep with any chance you get."

"The sex never meant anything, it was just good sex." At that moment an old women passed by and looked at the two women and shook her head. Natalie looked down. "I would never intentionally hurt Scott like that. I know I've ruined his relationships in the past, but what you two obviously share is different. He loves you and you just said you feel the same way. Don't let my stupid mistake come between the two of you. Scott did ask me to leave several times. He didn't respond when I kissed him, in fact I'm pretty sure he was trying to push me away."

"Why are you telling me this?" Deidre asked.

"Because Scott is my friend and he deserves to be incredibly happy, and I have a feeling that he is when he's with you."

The two stood in silence; both of them trying to gage what had just been said. Deidre was pulled out of her daze by her vibrating phone. After checking the message it displayed, she looked back up to Natalie, "I've got to go." She then turned around leaving the pediatric surgeon standing alone outside of the cafeteria.

 

After she read the text message and put out a few fires, Deidre went up to the roof to think. She looked out at the Seattle skyline. She had grown to love the city and everything about it, including the rain. She pushed her hair out of her face and turned around to leave. "Scott," Deidre said surprised to see him there.

"Deidre."

"What are you doing up here?"

"Looking for you," he said taking a step closer.

"And you knew I'd be up here how?"

"I ran into Emi and asked her where you were."

"I will kill her one day."

"That could be considered premeditated murder." Scott joked.

Deidre rolled her eyes, "It is."

"Can we talk?" Scott asked.

"Here? Now?"

"Yeah, now's as good a time as any."

Deidre nodded her head.

"Nothing happened the other night with Natalie. I could never hurt you like that, having an affair. What we have means too much to me. I hope you know that. I've told you before and I'll tell you until it registers. I. Love. You."

"I know. I love you too."

"What?" Scott asked surprised.

Before Deidre could respond, her phone vibrated once again. "I've got to take this. Perhaps we could finish this over drinks at Solomon's you're paying." Deidre said as she walked toward the door back inside.

"Why is it that I always have to pay?" Scott yelled.

Deidre turned around, smiled and shrugged her shoulders. Scott put his hands in his pockets, and watched her leave. After he had stood on the roof by himself for a few minuets, Scott smiled and made his way inside as well; the woman was full of surprises. One day, I will marry her. Scott thought to himself

Thanksgiving by carolinaheart

Scott and Deidra sat in silence for a while. Traffic was backed up further than Deidra had originally thought. She looked out the window trying to gage what exactly the cause of their hold up was. "I called your mom and David to let them know you were released. They plan on catching a flight out tonight." Deidra said.

“Did you tell them they don’t have to do that?” Scott asked.

“No I didn’t. They’re your parents; they’re going to be concerned and want to see for themselves that you are alright.”

"When did you meet my parents?" Scott asked. He knew, logically, that Deidre knew his parents. But the whole thing was hard for him to keep straight.

"A month after the Natalie fiasco. We went to Kevin's for thanksgiving and stayed the entire week…

 

Scott, Deidra and Hannah stepped into the baggage claim area of Raleigh-Durham International airport (RDU) and looked around. "We'll be here for a while." Hannah said, making her way over to one of the conveyor belts.

"She's right; RDU has one of the slowest baggage claims." Scott said following Hannah.

"Did you give Kevin our flight information?" Hannah asked after Scott and Deidra came and stood beside her.

"Nope."

"Why not?" Hannah asked.

"Because, we rented a car."

"Scott why would you rent a car when Kevin and Samantha have a perfectly good SUV to pick us up in?"

"I have two reasons. One: I wanted to surprise them. Two: I hate cramming into that thing." Scott explained.

Deidra shook her head at the sibling's banter and decided to keep an eye out for their suitcases. After spotting and retrieving their luggage, Scott, Deidra and Hannah made there way over to the rental car station and picked up their vehicle.

"Do you even know the way to their house Scott?" Hannah asked as they pulled out of the airport, and onto the highway.

"Yes, it's a straight shot, after we get on I-540 we get off on Falls of Neuse. Their neighborhood is on that street."

"Right, what's their neighborhood called again?"

"Wakefield or something like that. Anyway we have GPS so we will not get lost."

"Whatever."

Their twenty-minuet drive ended in the circular driveway of Kevin and Samantha Simon’s home. Scott, Deidra and Hannah got out of the car and stretched their legs before they retrieved their bags.

"Thank god you didn't get us lost," Hannah said as she looked at her brother’s stately house.

"Just shut-up and get your luggage Hannah." Scott said.

"Really Scott, you should be nicer to your sister." Deidra said grabbing her bag from his hands.

Scott rolled his eyes as he pulled the last suitcase from the rental car. "Yeah, you say that now."

Deidra smiled and followed Hannah as she walked up the steps to ring the doorbell. After a few seconds, a tall woman with dirty blonde hair, brown eyes, and way too much make up opened the door. "Hannah!" she squealed pulling the younger woman into a hug.

Deidre could not help but feel like the woman hugging Hannah was putting on a show.

"You were supposed to call us so Kevin could pick you up."

"Scott wanted to rent a car. But it doesn't matter to me; it's his money.” Hannah looked her sister-in-law up and down. The woman was so fake; it was hard for Hannah not to laugh. “You look..." She could not find the words to properly express how she thought the older woman looked.

"I know right!” Sam laughed. “I had to do something because every time I see you I feel older and older." Sam giggled.

"Whatever,” said Hannah trying very hard not to roll her eyes. “Sam this is Deidra James, Scott's girlfriend."

"Hi," Deidra said.

"It's very nice to meet, another, one of Scott's girlfriends." Samantha said stressing the word another.

Deidra lifted an eyebrow and looked back to see Scott standing with a goofy smile on his face and nothing to say. She just shook her head at Scott.

"Anyway, why don't you guys come on in? Hannah you're staying where you always stay. Deidra and Scott, you two will be in the basement guest room if that's all right with you." Sam said leading them into her house.

"That's fine Sam," Scott said from the back. "Come on Deidra, I'll show you where we're staying."

After they put their things in their respective rooms, Scott, Deidra and Hannah went into the living room where the rest of the adults were seated.

"Mom, Dad you guys look great." Hannah said hugging her parents.

"You don't look so bad yourself. I still cannot believe that our little girl is all grown up and living in Seattle!" Catherine Simon said as she squeezed her daughter. "Scott, it's nice to see you wanted to spend a holiday with us this year."

"Hi mom, David. I only missed the holidays with you last year, so I don't want to hear it."

"And you brought someone with you. Again." Kevin said.

"Good to see you too Kev."

"I'm getting the feeling you always bring someone home for the holidays Scott." Deidra said.

"He usually does," Samantha said.

"Why don't you just leave Scott alone?" David said. "Sam, don't you need to go get my grandkids from school?"

Sam rolled her eyes and stood up to leave. "I'll see you guys later." She waved goodbye and exited through the kitchen.

"So, Deidra what is it that you do for a living?” David asked trying to engage their thanksgiving guest in a conversation that did not involve talking about the previous women Scott brought to family occasions and holidays.

"I’m a lawyer; I practice medical law. I work in Seattle Regional’s legal department..."

"Let me guess, this is your first year out of law school" Kevin said.

"Kevin, will you let her finish a thought?" Hannah said, she was getting tired of the way her brother was treating Deidra, and she could tell Scott was too. Hannah really like Deidra and knew she was not the type of person her brother usually brought for family get-togethers.

"No I've been practicing law for about nine or ten years now. I worked in Chicago for a little while; then I moved to Seattle,” Deidra explained.

"Oh," Kevin said, beginning to feel like a complete ass.

Everyone sat in an awkward silence, not knowing quite what to say. After fifteen minuets, the phone finally rang. "I'll get that." Kevin said jumping up to look for a phone.

"I am going to go take a nap," Hannah said standing up from where she was seated.

"Didn't you sleep enough on the plane?" Scott teased.

"Whatever, Scott" Hannah said as she smacked him in the back of the head and left the room.

"Mom, did you see that?" Scott asked.

"Seriously Scott? You're telling on your sister. Remind me how old are you again?" Deidra asked.

Scott lightly slapped her thigh with one of the many decorative pillows Kevin and Sam had around. "You don't have to sleep in the same bed as me. I'm sure Kevin has an air mattress somewhere." Scott joked.

"You wouldn't dare."

"Wouldn’t I?" Scott asked.

Deidra shook her head and stood up, "Could someone tell me where the bathroom is?"

"Down the hall," David said.

"Scott," Catherine said after Deidra left. "We have asked you every year not to just bring some woman to our gatherings and holidays. This is supposed to be a family time and every time you come home, you bring some woman who can't add or subtract. While I commend you on finding someone with a brain this year, I honestly didn't want to meet another one of your girlfriends unless you plan on marrying her."

Scott looked at his mother stunned. "Well, I guess you'll be happy to know you won't have to meet any more of my girlfriends then."

"Scott, what are you talking about?" Catherine asked.

"I love Deidra, and I want to marry her. I just have to figure out the right time to ask her." Scott said.

Catherine was speechless. She never expected that her son would settle down. She had hoped on many occasions and prayed every night, but never had she dreamed her son, Scott Walker, would fall in love and get married. "You're not just yanking my chain now are you Scott, I could not take it if you are."

"No, mom I'm not." Scott smiled.

"That's good."

Deidra walked back into the room. She looked around; everyone was staring at her. "What," she said as she slowly took her seat.

"We were all just discussing how best to inform you that you've got broccoli in your teeth." Scott joked.

"Nice try, but I haven't had any broccoli today. If you don't want to tell me what you were talking about then you don't have to."

"Deidra where is your family from?" Catherine asked, wanting to know more about the woman whom her son planned on marrying.

"Illinois, I grew in the suburbs of Chicago and my parents still live there. My brother and his wife live in the city."

"You have a brother, that's nice. Is he your only sibling?"

"Yes. He's older than me by five minuets."

Catherine lifted an eyebrow and tilted her head trying to grasp what Deidra just said.

"He's my twin."

"Does he have any children?"

"He'll be a dad any day now. My parents are ecstatic." Deidra smiled.

"I remember that feeling. I couldn't wait for Kevin to have children." David said. "There's something about watching your children go through all the things you went through."

Before anyone could say anything else, the door to the garage in the kitchen opened and two young boys came running through. "Uncle Scott," the young boys yelled tackling the seated Scott.

"Hey Jason, Brad, how are you doing?" He asked.

"Great. We got a new video game that you've got to play come on." The older of the two said. Both boys pulled on Scott until he stood up from his seat.

Scott looked at Deidra was amused. "Will you be okay without me?" Scott asked.

"The question is will you be okay?" Deidra laughed.

Scott rolled his eyes then turned to his nephews, "Lead the way." The three of them walked out of the room leaving Deidra sitting with David and Catherine.

No one paid attention to Sam and Margot's entrance and the four-year-old Margot was upset. She was used to all eyes on her whenever she entered the room. Her mother had left, leaving her with her grandparents, and the strange woman. Her grandparents were engaged in a conversation, so Margot went to Deidra.

"Hi," Margot said sitting next to Deidra.

"Hi, what's your name?"

"I'm Margot. Are you Uncle Scott's girlfriend?" Margot asked.

“Yes, I am.”

“Are you a slut?” Margot asked innocently.

Deidra sat shocked by the words that came out of the little girl's mouth. “Excuse me?” She said.

David stopped speaking mid- sentence to look at his granddaughter. "Margot, what did you just say?"

"I asked if she is a slut."

"Sweetie, who said that," Catherine asked.

"I did." Margot did not understand what was wrong with her question.

"No, before you." Catherine insisted.

"Oh, Mommy said it in the car while she was on the phone."

"I see," David said looking to his daughter-in-law who had just entered the room.

"Well are you?" Margot asked looking back to Deidra.

"No, Margot I’m not a slut. I’m a lawyer and my name is Deidra." She said looking over the little girls head and at the child's mother instead.

"Excuse me, but what did you just say in front of my daughter?" Sam asked.

"I would hardly blame Deidra, Margot said it first." Catherine said.

"Margot would never use that language."

"Well she did. Believe it or not children repeat what they hear their parents say." Deidra said getting up and leaving the room.

Margot looked around at the remaining adults and decided to follow Deidra. "Where ya going?" she asked after she caught up with her uncle's girlfriend.

"I don't know." Deidra said.

"Do you want me to show you my room?"

"Sure, what could it hurt?"

"Come on." Margot grabbed Deidra's hand and pulled her up the stairs. When they reached the top of the landing, Margot pulled Deidra in to the first bedroom. "This is my room. Mommy says it is perfect because I'm a little princess." Margot said turning around in the middle of the floor before sitting down on the pink canopy bead.

Deidra looked around and nearly vomited from all of the pink. The room was decorated in a pink princess style with a castle painted onto the wall behind the bed. "It's nice."

"Daddy doesn't like my room. He says it's too much, whatever that means."

"Right."

"Are you spending Christmas with us too?"

"No, for Christmas Scott and I are going to Chicago where my brother lives."

"Oh. You have a brother too!" Margot asked.

"Yes."

"Brothers are mean, especially big brothers."

"They're only mean because they love you." Deidra explained.

"I don't believe that."

"One day you'll see. Why don't we go downstairs to see if it's almost time for dinner?" Deidra suggested.

"Okay."

Everyone was in the dining room when Margot and Deidra came down. "Just in time," Kevin said.

"Yeah, well I thought I smelled food." Deidra went and stood close to Scott.

Later that night Deidra was standing on the porch looking out at the back yard when Catherine came and stood next to her. The men were watching old football games while Sam put Margot to bed.

"It's a beautiful night isn't it?" Catherine said.

"Yeah, it's so peaceful."

"David and I have considered moving here. There's no need for us to stay in Massachusetts when Scott and Hannah are on the other side of the country."

"That makes sense. If my parents didn't hate the actual city so much, they'd move into Chicago to be close to my brother."

"You don’t think they’d want to move to Seattle?" Catherine asked.

"No, they have roots in the area. Besides that, my brother is married and his wife is pregnant. I'm single and have never thought about being a mother."

"I see, but you are dating Scott."

"And to be completely honest I was blindsided by that."

"Are you saying you don't want to be in a relationship with my son?"

"That is not what I'm saying. When I met Scott I wasn't looking for anything, which is why I turned him down so many times before. We went out on or first date because of a bet we made playing pool. You know your son, and I'd heard the rumors. I thought I knew exactly what I was getting into by agreeing to go out on a second date, you know just in it for a good time. Never in a million years did I think I would fall for Scott. I fell in love with a man who's broken many hearts and ruined a few marriages. If I could go back, I wouldn't change my experience or my relationship with your son for anything."

"I see," Catherine said seeing the lawyer in a different light.

"Sometimes I feel as if I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I know that he loves me, or at least he says he does, but who's to say when someone else comes along he won't leave me?" Deidra said uncertainly.

Catherine was surprised. She never thought that the strong woman she met earlier in the day could ever feel so insecure; especially since it was clear to everyone else that what her son and Deidra shared went much deeper than a casual fling or physical attraction. "That is something you don't have to worry about sweetheart." She said patting the younger woman's hand.

"How do you know?"

"A mother knows her son," with those parting words, Catherine turned and left Deidra to her thoughts.

Home for the Holidays by carolinaheart

 

It was a week before Christmas and Deidra was out shopping. She hated shopping, especially for Christmas gifts; she never knew what to get. Standing in the mall, she looked around at all of the different stores and shook her head.

"Are you just going to stand there, or are we going to do our Christmas shopping?" Emi asked as she walked up next to Deidra.

"What do you buy a newborn for Christmas?" Deidra asked as the two friends walked in the direction of one of the department stores.

"Is it a boy or a girl?"

"A boy, Matthew Aaron James."

"You could get a blanket, clothes, or little toys or something like that." Emi suggested.

"I guess."

"You should get him a blanket and have his initials embroidered on it."

"Are you serious? That would require me to stop at more than one place."

"Deidra, it wouldn't take that long. Besides he's your only nephew; I don't see why you can't make an effort to make his gift special."

Deidra rolled her eyes at the comment. "Don't get me wrong, I love my brother, and Beth and I are closer than sisters, but I don't do children well. I'm sure I'll love the little guy, but I can tell you he won't want to spend a week with Aunt Deidra any time soon."

"You say that now. Have you gotten your brother something yet?"

"I got him a book."

"Really, what's the name of it?"

"Congratulations, You're a Daddy!"

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, we always get each other a kind of gag gift. I got Beth a gift certificate to her favorite spa. I got my mom a new digital camera and my Dad a new camcorder. I have a feeling they will be taking a lot of pictures now that Matt's decided to grace the family with his presence."

"So that only leaves Scott. Do you know what you're getting him?"

"No, do you know what you're getting Miguel?"

"How sad would it be if I bought him a shirt and tie?"

"It would be worse than the book I got for Aaron."

"Does he like sports?"

"Football, baseball, tennis, basketball."

"Does he like watching old games he's seen before?"

"All the time. I don't understand men and their need to see a game from ten years ago; they already know the outcome."

"Seriously Emi? It is not about the outcome, but about the process by which the team wins or looses. The good ones become classics." Deidra explained.

"Are you a closet sports fanatic?"

"I've never hidden the fact that I like sports, you just never asked." Deidra smiled. "You should get Miguel a set of DVDs that has some of the greatest games ever played. You can find it on the internet."

"That is actually a good idea."

"All of my ideas are good."

As they walked past a jewelry store, Emi stopped.

"Why are we stopping?"

Ignoring Deidra's question, Emi walked into the store and up to one of the cases. Frustrated, Deidra walked into the store as well and lazily made her way over to where Emi was leaning over the glass and peering into the case.

"Why did we stop here?" Deidra asked.

"Because, you should get Scott a watch."

"Why?"

"Because it's a nice gift and I hardly ever see him wearing one."

Shrugging her shoulders, Deidra looked into the case as well and looked at the different watches. One in particular caught her eye. It was a simple stainless steel watch with diamond accents on a black dial made by Bulova. It was expensive, but that didn't really matter, when you are a lawyer at the top of your game, you could afford to by an expensive watch for your boyfriend. "Do you see that one?" Deidra asked pointing to the watch that had caught her eye.

"Yeah, that's nice. Are you going to buy that one for him?"

"I think so. Do you think Scott will like it?"

"He'll like it. What I find interesting is that you're going to spend more on your boyfriend than your mother, brother, sister-in-law and nephew combined."

"Does it matter?"

"I'm just saying."

"Right you're just saying what?" Deidra asked.

"Nothing."

After paying for the watch, Deidra and Emi went back out into the mall. "I think it is time we do some shopping for us."

"Do we really have to? I'm tired and I have a lot of paperwork to catch up on before we leave for Chicago tomorrow."

"Deidra, you're always so boring."

Deidra rolled her eyes and continued walking through the mall. "Whatever you say Emi."

The next morning came faster than Deidra expected it. She stayed up the entire night packing and finishing paperwork. Sound asleep on the couch, Deidra did not hear the door open, nor did she hear Scott come in. He walked up to the sleeping lawyer and watched her for a few moments before he proceeded to gather her suitcase, which Deidra left by the door the night before. After Scott returned to the apartment, he sat down on the edge of the sofa.

"Sleepy head, we have a plane to catch." He said as he gently shook her shoulder.

As she turned over she squinted her eyes to the light. Deidra looked at him confused. "Why are you here so early?"

"It's not early Deidra. We have a plane to catch and we need to be at the airport in an hour. That gives you thirty minutes to shower and get ready. So I suggest you get moving," Scott smiled as he got up.

"What?" Deidra jumped off the couch and ran into her bedroom.

Exactly thirty minuets after she disappeared into the bathroom, Deidra emerged refreshed from her bedroom. "I'm ready."

Scott and Deidra's plane landed on time. They were waiting for their luggage in the baggage claim area when a man walked up behind them. "D," he said. Deidra jumped at the voice and turned around with a smile on her face.

"A, hey. How are you?" Deidra said hugging the man with hazel eyes who was also a few inches shorter than Scott.

"I'm good. So glad you're here. Is this the guy?" He asked pointing to Scott.

Deidra rolled her eyes. "Yes, Aaron this is Scott Walker, Scott this is my brother,"

"Older brother," Aaron smiled.

Deidra rolled her eyes, "My twin brother Aaron."

"Nice to meet you," Scott said extending his hand.

"I'd say the same but you're here with my baby sister so I hate you already." Aaron said shaking Scott's hand.

"Aaron, please. Don't be such an ass. I am not you're baby sister. Just because you came out five minuets before I did, does not make me you're baby sister."

"It's okay Deidra. I understand. Hannah has not introduced me to any of her boyfriends since her senior prom when I broke her date's nose."

"So you understand where I'm coming from. I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but as you know it's apart of the big brother code." Aaron said.

"I understand completely."

"I can't believe this. You two are bonding over the fact that you," she said pointing to Aaron, "hate him? Huh." Deidra laughed and went to the conveyor belt. "Scott there's your bag."

After they successfully retrieved their luggage, Aaron drove back to his house. "This is my humble abode." He said as he pulled into the driveway. Waiting outside on the front porch was Beth. She waved as they all got out of the car.

"Deidra hey, your parents are inside," Beth said as she walked down to greet her guests.

"That's good to know. How've you been Beth?" Deidra asked as she hugged her sister-in-law.

"Better since I've had Matt. It's just so amazing; he brings me so much joy. It's hard to believe that only a few months ago he wasn't here for the world to see." She said. Beth had a huge smile on her face and her dark brown eyes portrayed her friendly nature.

"That's great to hear. Beth this is Scott, Scott Beth." Deidra said introducing the two.

"Hello," Scott said extending her hand.

"Hi, you're hot," Beth said bluntly.

"Thank you," Scott gave her a charming smile.

"Deidra he's hot."

"Yeah, don't encourage him; you're only making his ego bigger." Deidra pulled her bag behind her as she headed to the house. Scott followed close behind.

Aaron looked at his wife, "are you serious?" He asked amused.

"What, the man is hot. Give him credit where credit is due. But you know what?"

"What?"

"You are, so much sexier than the man candy that just walked into our house, not as tall. But definitely sexier." Beth said as she wrapped her arms around her husband's waist.

"Nice try Beth."

"I'm being completely sincere," she said as they followed Scott and Deidra into the house.

Stepping into the foyer, Scott and Deidra looked around. Before they could move any further into the house, a short woman with long hair and warm brown eyes stepped in front of them. "Deidra," she said pulling her into a hug.

"Hi mom,"

"And you must be Scott. I'm Leonora James." She took Scott into a hug as well.

"Nice to meet you Mrs. James." Scott said returning the hug.

"Please, call me Nora everyone else does. Why are you two just standing there? Aaron, don't be rude; show your sister and Scott to their room." Nora instructed, after Aaron and Beth came inside.

Aaron did as he was told and took his guests upstairs to the guest room. After settling in, Scott and Deidra went back downstairs where Beth was playing with the baby and Nora was wrapping a gift. "So Scott, Deidra tells me you are a plastic surgeon." Nora said looking up as the two entered the room.

"Yes I am. It can be very rewarding." Scott sat down on the empty sofa, and Deidra sat next to him.

"I'm sure it can be. Tell me about your family." Nora said after she finished wrapping the gift and placed it under the tree.

"My parents are divorced. I don't talk to my dad or his wife. I have a step brother who has three children and a half sister—she recently moved to Seattle." Scott said.

"Why don't you talk with your father?"

"Mom, please can we talk about something else?" Deidra said annoyed already with her mother's questions.

"It's alright Deidra. We just don't get along and haven't for a while."

"I see."

The four of them sat in silence. Scott was contemplating his non-existent relationship with his father while Nora thought of something else to say to start a new conversation. Beth sat on the floor playing with Matthew, who was lying on a blanket. Deidra watched as Beth walked her fingers up the baby's stomach and made faces at him. Deidra had always been fascinated by adults' interaction with babies. They seemed to regress from acting as an adult and revert to behaving as a child in the presence of the youngsters.

Michael James stood off in the corner watching the goings on of the living room. He observed his daughter-in-law playing with his grandson. He smiled at his wife, who looked as if she was deep in thought. When he looked over to his daughter, he was not as pleased. Michael knew that his baby girl was bringing home her boyfriend, but Deidre’s boyfriend was not what he was expecting. The fact that Scott was white did not bother him so much, although it did not help matters either. Michael could tell that Dr. Scott Walker was that guy; the type of man he constantly warned Deidra about when she was younger. Much to his disappointment, with one look, Michael could tell that his daughter's boyfriend was the type of guy who cared little about a woman's feelings. The man sitting next Deidra was a heart breaker. And it was obvious from her constant glances and few witticisms that she was in love with said heartbreaker. Michael was not pleased.

 

Still Home for the holidays by carolinaheart

 

At six foot two, Michael James was a tall man. Nora looked up feeling the eyes of her husband resting on her. His presence commanded attention in part because he was taller than everyone else present. He walked into the room.

"Michael," Nora said. "Why don't you come sit down?"

The James family patriarch did as suggested and sat in the armchair across from where Deidre sat with Scott. The two were now engaged in a conversation. Michael grimaced at the couple. "Deidre, I'm glad to see you made it in alright. How was your flight?"

"Thanks dad. The flight was fairly routine. We took off, flew and landed."

"How's work going?" Michael asked. He felt the best way to deal with his daughter's boyfriend was to not acknowledge his presence.

"Work is good. Dad, this is Scott. He’s a surgeon at the hospital I work at." Deidre said, after recognizing her father's tactic. He had used it many times before and it annoyed the hell out of her. It was best to introduce the two before it wound up out of hand.

"Scott, I'm Michael James."

"Nice to meet you sir." Scott said as he began to stand and shake the older man's hand; however, Michael stared at the usually confident doctor making him feel uncomfortable as he sat back down in his seat.

"You're a doctor."

"Yes sir, I'm a plastic surgeon."

"So you operate on vain wealthy people then."

"On occasion, yes I do. But my patients usually have suffered or are suffering from something. One child I operated on didn't have ears; another woman had her face ripped off in a terrible accident." Scott explained.

"Hmph." Michael folded his arms and puffed out his chest as he leaned back in his chair.

"So, Deidre sweetheart, have you finished your shopping? You know there's less than a week before Christmas." Nora said trying to steer the attention away from her husband's dissatisfaction with their Christmas guest.

"Actually, I got it all done yesterday."

"Really? I thought you hate shopping." Beth commented.

"I do."

"And you got it all accomplished in one day?" Beth asked in disbelief.

"Yeah I figured best to do it all at once. You remember Emi right? Well, she dragged me out to make sure I got it all done. Now I just have to wrap them." Deidre explained.

"Do you have your shopping done Scott?" Beth asked.

"For the most part I do. I sent my nephews and my niece gift cards, and my step-brother got a gift card as well. My sister on the other hand is getting a book."

"You bought Hannah a book? Really Scott? She’s not a child. I don’t think she’ll appreciate that much." Deidre said.

"What, I can't take a page from you?"

"What book did you get her?"

"How to be a Nun Without Actually Being a Nun."

"There is actually a book with that title? Wow, you can sell anything these days." Beth said standing up with Matthew in her arms.

"Why did you get her that particular book?" Deidre asked.

"She's my baby sister, you do the math."

Deidre shook her head. "Sometimes I wonder how on earth you became one of the top plastic surgeons in the country." She stood up and followed Beth out of the room.

Scott watched her leave and then turned his head back around to find Nora standing up as well. "I'm going to go chat with the girls." She walked over to her husband and leaned down to whisper in his ear. "Michael dear, please be nice to the man. I think she actually loves him." She kissed him on the forehead before leaving the room.

"So," Michael said staring Scott down. "What exactly do you expect to get from your relationship with my daughter?"

Scott was startled. He had not expected the man to be as straightforward as he was. But then again he was Deidre's father. "I eh… I," he stuttered. Scott knew very well what his intentions were; he just was not quite sure how to express them.

"Did Deidre tell you that I’m a retired Navy Seal?" Michael asked.

Scott shook his head, "Uh, no sir," he was not liking where this conversation was headed.

"My Deidre is very important to me. She's smart, tough and sometimes likes to be just one of the guys; but when it comes to her heart, she can be as sensitive as any other woman. I know your type. I know Deidre knows your type, why she chose to date you I have no idea. But if you hurt her in any way, I can guarantee that you will never be able to perform any surgery again because of severe paralysis from your neck down."

"Well sir, my intentions are not to hurt her."

Michael raised an eyebrow and stared down the man sitting across from him. "Men like you never intend to hurt women, you just do. You take what you want from women and leave them left to pick up the pieces of their lives by themselves."

"I like to think that I'm not that kind of man anymore."

"It's hard for men like you to change." Michael stated.

"I have changed. I've fallen in love with your daughter. I know I'm not perfect but if she'll say yes I will marry her." Scott explained.

Michael was stunned. When he walked into the room earlier, he could tell that his only daughter was in love with the man she brought home. But never would he have guessed that the feeling was mutual. This was new for him. His daughter was not your standard high-strung beauty that hooked up with guys like Scott Walker, the man sitting in his living room. Deidre had brains as well as looks, and apparently Scott appreciated the combination. "Well then. Is that your way of asking for my daughter's hand in marriage?"

It was Scott's turn to be shocked. "Well, I'd hoped to be in your good graces when I asked but if that's how you want to see it then yes, I am asking permission to ask Deidre to marry me."

"To be completely honest Dr. Walker, the fact is that I don't like you. Maybe by the end of the holiday I will feel differently. But for right now, you do not have my blessing in your endeavors to marry my daughter." With that Michael stood up and left Scott sitting alone in the living room.

As he sat there, Scott contemplated the conversation he had with Michael James. But before he could come to any kind of conclusion, Deidre walked into the room interrupting his thoughts.

"Hey," she said trying to capture his attention.

"Hey."

"Did my dad give you the 'I'll kill you if you hurt her' speech?" Deidre asked sitting down next to Scott.

"Yeah something like that."

"Don't worry about it, its standard procedure, that and I don't usually bring people home for the holidays. Come on dinner's ready."

It was a few of days into their Chicago visit and the situation between Scott and Deidre’s father had not progressed. Scott was unsure how to change the older and intimidating man’s mind.

Just after breakfast, Deidre and Scott were sitting alone on the heated screen porch in a comfortable silence.

“I want to cook dinner for your family.” Scott said.

“That’s not going to change his mind.” Deidre said referring to her father. Between the comments and looks Michael sent Scott’s way, the tension between the two was palpable.

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” Scott said feigning ignorance.

“You can’t win my dad over with food.”

“I’m not trying to win anyone over with food. I just felt like I should share some of my talents with your family. Your mother and sister-in-law have made dinner both nights we’ve been here. I think they should take a break don’t you?”

Deidre rolled her eyes. Before she could verbally respond, the door to the porch opened. Beth, Aaron and Nora joined the couple.

“So this is where you two went off to.” Beth said sitting down at the table.

“What are you guys doing out here any way?” Aaron asked eyeing his sister’s boyfriend.

“We were talking. Where’s dad and the baby?” Deidre asked.

“You know your father. He tries to pull off this super bad, tough man act, but as soon as he holds baby Matthew he melts completely.” Nora explained.

“Yes, D. Our father is such a proud grandpa when it comes to his grandson.” Aaron said.

“Babe, do you remember when we told him it was going to be a boy?” Beth asked laughing at the memory.

“Yes, vividly. He was so excited to have someone carryon the family name. He walked around saying, ‘I’ve got to teach the boy how to be a James; how to properly carryon the family name.’ I asked him why I couldn’t be the one to teach my son how to ‘be a James’ and ‘carryon the family name.’ He came back and told me that was a grandfather’s job. I just left it at that.” Aaron recalled.

“You know you’re father was just excited to finally have a grandchild.” Nora said.

“Mom, you act like we’re so old.” Deidre laughed.

“Well, you are dear. By your age we had nine-year-old twins running around who believed they controlled the house.”

Beth shook her head and leaned forward in her chair. “The real reason we were looking for you is that Nora and I were thinking we should go out to one of the city's better restaurants for dinner. How does that sound?”

“Actually,” Scott said. “I was thinking I should make dinner for you all tonight.”

Beth sat back, crossed her arms and smiled while Nora tilted her head.

“Really? You want to cook for us?” Nora asked.

“If the two of you ladies don’t mind.”

“No, no go right ahead.” Nora said approvingly.

“Yes, check the kitchen to make sure you have everything you need. If not make a list and we can go out in about an hour.”

“I’ll go do that now,” Scott said getting up from where he was sitting and leaving the room.

After the screen door slammed, Beth grinned and spoke up. “He’s hot and he cooks? Damn Deidre where did you find this one?”

“Once again Beth, I’m sitting right here.” Aaron said.

“I know sweetie, but you don’t cook.”

Deidre smiled at her family members.

Later in the day, Deidre sat at the table and watched as Scott prepped the ingredients for the meal.

“I still don’t understand how you can prepare such fabulous tasting dinners, but you can’t cook a decent breakfast.” Deidre laughed.

Scott shook his head, “in my family breakfast wasn’t as big of a deal as dinner. Are you going to just sit there?”

“I like just watching you cook.” Deidre admitted.

Scott laughed, “what you mean is you like to eat my ingredients while I’m trying to prepare a dish.”

“I can’t help it if a few carrots or some broccoli sprouts go missing. It’s not my fault.” Deidre said standing up and walking over to where he was standing. She stood next to him. “What is it that you need me to do?”

“Can you peel those potatoes? You’ll have to do it with a knife because I didn’t see a peeler.” Scott instructed.

“I think I can do that.”

Walking past the kitchen, Nora spotted her husband spying on Deidre and Scott. Changing directions, she came up next to him and gently placed her hand on his arm.

“Michael, what do you think you’re doing?” Nora asked.

Slightly startled, Michael jumped. “I’m not doing a thing.”

“Well, it looks to me like you are spying on our daughter and her boyfriend.”

“I’m well within my rights to stand here by the doorway to get a glimpse of what is going on in the kitchen,” Michael said.

“Shit,” Deidre yelped just as Nora was about to say something.

Both Michael and Nora turned their heads to see what was going on.

Scott stopped what he was doing and looked over to his girlfriend who had abruptly stopped peeling potatoes.

“Are you okay?” Scott asked concerned.

Deidre held her hand up for him to see; “I may have just sliced my hand trying to peel those damn potatoes you insisted on making from scratch.”

Scott put down the spoon he was using to stir the sauce and walked over to Deidre. He took her bleeding hand in his and looked at the wound. “Good work Deidre.” Scott said teasingly.

“If you’re going to make fun of me,” Deidre said trying to pull her hand out of Scott’s. But he just held on tighter.

“Okay. I won’t make fun just stop, moving so I can take a look.”

Just outside the door, unbeknownst to either of the kitchen’s occupants, Michael and Nora stood watching the moment unfold.

“He wants to marry her you know.” Michael said watching something happen between his daughter and the man she brought home for the holidays.

“I would say that’s a good thing dear.” Nora said. “You have to let her go, she’s a grown-up and she can make her own decisions.”

“I don’t want my baby girl to get hurt.”

“From the looks of it Michael, she’s in good hands. Besides how boring would life be if people never took risks; if they never took a chance that they may get hurt. Isn’t love worth it?” Nora asked.

Michael looked away from his wife and back to his daughter in the kitchen. Scott had cleaned up the cut and put a bandage on it. Deidre leaned on the counter with a smile on her face. Scott said something, and Deidre rolled her eyes. But even from the doorway, Michael could see the glint in her eyes.

“I think maybe you should talk to your daughter.” Nora suggested. She stood on her toes and kissed her husband on the cheek before continuing what she was doing originally.

Dinner went off without a hitch. Everyone enjoyed Scott’s meal. The next morning Michael decided to take his wife’s advice and talk to his daughter. He found her sitting alone reading a book in the house’s breakfast nook.

“Good morning Deidre.” Michael said sitting down.

Deidre smiled at her father. “Good morning Daddy.”

They sat in silence for a few minutes before either said anything else.

“You don’t like Scott do you?” Deidre asked.

“No, I don’t. He’s not the kind of man I would have picked for my daughter, and before you say anything it’s not because he’s white. You’re too good for him Deidre.”

“Daddy, this is my decision. I love him.”

“I can tell.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

“Why him Deidre?”

“Because he’s my best friend and he knows me. Scott makes me laugh; he knows how to calm me down when I’m pissed off. He’s not afraid to call me on my shit. He likes my quirks and he gets my sarcasm. And most importantly he loves me. So the question I have for you daddy is: why not him?” Upset about her father questioning her choices, Deidre stood up and left Michael to sit by himself.

The next evening was Christmas Eve. The women and baby Matthew were already in bed. Michael watched, from an overstuffed armchair in the corner, Scott and Aaron as they sat up late into the night talking about everything from the best fishing techniques to the perfect barbeque sauce. Since his conversation with Deidre, Michael began to see Scott differently. While he still disapproved of the type of man Scott was, Michael could not deny that Scott Walker loved his daughter. Throughout the week he had watched the interactions between the two of them, but he was only just beginning to notice the deep friendship they shared as well as a mutual respect for the other. As much as he hated to admit it, Dr. Scott Walker was not as bad a man as Michael first perceived. Begrudgingly, Michael was beginning to accept him.

"Well, I'm heading in for the night; I'll see you in the morning. Be ready early so we can make breakfast." Michael said as he left the room.

Scott turned and looked at Aaron, "Breakfast?"

"It's a family tradition. On Christmas morning the men, dad and I, make breakfast for the ladies before we open presents. I think as Matt gets older that tradition will change slightly, but for right now it's still the same." Aaron explained.

"I see. Well you should know that my signature breakfast dish is cereal and milk. For some reason gourmet dinners and lunch are no brainers for me. But breakfast is one meal I can’t get the hang of. If you catch me on a good day, my oatmeal is to die for, instant of course."

"Really, we might have to introduce you to the fine art of breakfast making then won't we." Aaron said standing up. "I'm heading in, you should too if you want to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for our kitchen fiasco tomorrow morning."

"Thanks for the advice." Scott stood up made his way to his own sleeping quarters.

In the morning the men prepared a breakfast of waffles, bacon, fruit and fresh squeezed orange juice. The ladies sat down and began to devour their meal.

"So, Scott what did you make?" Deidre asked, knowing that her boyfriend could only prepare two breakfast dishes well: cereal and oatmeal.

Scott smirked, "I squeezed the orange juice."

"Of course you did." Deidre said.

"Aaron, you didn't teach him the finer points of bacon making?" Beth asked. Aaron rolled his eyes.

"My husband has never let Aaron make the waffles since he burnt them a few years ago." Nora explained.

"He was trying to impress me, it was my first time meeting everyone and it was a holiday."

"I see." Scott said taking a sip of orange juice.

"I don't know about you but I'm ready to open presents." Aaron exclaimed standing up from the table. "I'll go get Matthew from the nursery so we can get started."

"Aaron doesn't like to talk about that Christmas," Deidre said after her brother left. "Everything he did to try to impress Beth back fired. I was surprised she agreed to marry him after that."

"What can I say? When you're in love, it doesn't matter how bad the food tastes or how stupid he acts, nothing will turn you off." Beth smiled.

Deidre rolled her eyes at the sappiness of her sister-in-law's comment, "That may be true for you, but I call Scott on all his shit." She smiled.

Beth laughed, "Of course you do Deidre, and you wouldn't be you if you didn't."

After everyone finally got up from the table and put their dishes in the kitchen, they went into the living room where the tree was standing in front of the window with gifts piled underneath. The family began unwrapping gifts and thanking each other for their presents. By the time they finished it was time for lunch and everyone was tired as well as hungry. Beth and Nora went to begin cooking dinner while Deidre and Scott remained in the living room, cleaning up the mess from the discarded wrapping paper.

"This was fun." Scott smiled at Deidre. "I really like this watch, it must have been a fortune."

"Consider it your valentine's day gift as well. Thanks for the earring and necklace set."

"It was nothing."

"Did Hannah help you pick it out?"

"Does it matter?" Scott asked.

"No, not really. But she called me while I was in the bathroom to see if I liked your gift."

"She really spoils everything." Scott joked.

"That's what sisters do and you love them for it."

"You're right."

"I know. I'm always right Scott. When are you going to get that through your head?" Deidre asked as she smiled at him.

"Your self confidence is one of the many things I love about you." Scott said standing up.

"I know." Deidre reached out her hand and Scott pulled her up off the floor. "I believe that this mess has been properly taken care of. I'm going to help mom and Beth with dinner." Deidre kissed Scott before she left the room.

"What was that for?" He asked.

All Deidre did was point her finger in the air and then continued her path out of the living room and into the kitchen.

Scott looked up and saw the mistletoe hanging in the middle of the living room.

As Deidre left, Aaron entered. "You can just put the bags in the garage for now."

"Do you always make a habit of hanging mistletoe anywhere?" Scott asked as he followed Aaron to the garage with a trash bag in hand.

"That is all Beth's idea…"

Unbeknownst to any of the previous occupants of the living room, Michael had stood in the corner watching the entire scene unfold. He sighed in defeat. His daughter was in love and the man loved her back. There would be no talking her out of this relationship. At that moment, Michael realized he was not sure he wanted to. Aside from the obvious standard father's dislike for daughter's boyfriend, there was nothing else for Michael to hate about Scott Walker. The man had proved himself a worthy, although somewhat cocky, person to be with his daughter.

 

 

New Year by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

This chapter is probably least like the original. In fact the only thing that is the same is the fact that it's New Year's.

 

It was December 31st, New Years Eve, and Scott was on call. Since he was out of town for Christmas and Thanksgiving, Scott volunteered to work on New Years Eve. Now he was regretting his decision. The eve of December 31st happened to be one of those nights when all the normally rational and responsible people of the city decided to lose all home training and go crazy. For Scott, the evening was filled with back-to-back surgeries. He had hoped to get off a little early so he could spend the rest of the night with Deidre, but that did not look like it was going to be a possibility.

Earlier in the day, Deidre received a call from her mentee, Jessica Collins. Since her arrival in Seattle a year ago, Deidre worked with a local organization that set up young female law students with a female lawyer. The intent of the program was to allow the students to have access to a mentor in their field, someone who could help guide them in the right direction.

Deidre and Jessica hit it off from their first meeting. Jessica immediately admired her new mentor’s drive and tenacity, while Deidre was in awe of the young woman who was just over four months pregnant and who planned on continuing law school after the baby’s birth in May. Over the past year, Deidre began to consider Jessica more like a little sister than just someone she was mentoring.

Jessica called Deidre in desperate need of a babysitter for her seven-month-old daughter, Rachel. She had asked Deidre if she was available, and because Deidre had no other plans for the evening, she agreed to watch the little girl.

Around 8:30 in the evening, Jessica knocked on Deidre’s door.

“Come on in.” Deidre said allowing both mother and daughter into her apartment.

Jessica stepped into the room, and her daughter Rachel immediately reached for Deidre.

Deidre took the child out of her mother’s arms and tickled her tummy, “Hi there, Rachel.” She said before looking up at Jessica. “So, big plans for the night?”

“Yes, I’m going out. One of the girls in my study group is having a New Year’s Eve bash. You know I don’t get out much so I really wanted to take this opportunity and spend it with friends.” Jessica explained putting her daughter’s baby bag on the sofa and putting the port-a-crib she managed to carry up by herself in the corner.

“Why aren’t you out with Scott tonight? I would think the two of you would want to spend the evening together since it is your first New Year’s.” Jessica said sitting down.

Deidre followed suit and sat down. Rachel however, was not too keen on the idea and began to get fussy. So instead of sitting the baby on her lap, Deidre allowed the little girl to stand up facing her mother.

“Scott is working. He felt like since he did not work the Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday, he should at least be on call for New Year’s Eve.”

“Really? Who needs a plastic surgeon on New Year’s Eve?”

“Idiots don’t take a break from being stupid because it’s a holiday.” Deidre said.

Jessica laughed, “What are you talking about.”

“I’m sure there are plenty of bizarre disfiguring accidents that are going to happen tonight which require the services of a plastic surgeon.”

“Sometimes I wonder about you,” Jessica said standing up. “I should get going.”

Deidre stood up as well. Jessica walked over and kissed her daughter’s forehead, “Be good for Auntie Deidre okay.” She instructed the baby.

Rachel giggled and grabbed Jessica’s earring.

“Okay, no Rachel. That’s mommy’s.” She said.

Deidre laughed as she walked Jessica to the door. “Have a good time and a couple of drinks for me as well.” Deidre said.

“I will, and thanks again for watching her.”

“Not a problem Jess. We’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight.” Jessica waved and walked out of the door.

“Okay kid,” Deidre said to the baby seriously. “It’s just you and me tonight. What should we get into first?”

By 11:30 things began to slow down a bit, so after Scott finished his last surgery, he decided to take off. Instead of going straight home, he went to Deidre’s apartment to see how her evening of babysitting was going. He arrived shortly after midnight to find Deidre asleep in her bedroom. She was lying on her side facing the television that was currently playing the credits of a children’s movie. Using Deidre’s stomach for support, Rachel sat playing with a stuffed toy.

Scott stood in the doorway appreciating the scene before he went over to Rachel and picked her up. “Hey there Ray, did you wear out your Aunt Deidre? And why are you awake?” He turned off the TV and went to Deidre’s living room where she set up the port-a-crib Jessica left.

The next morning Deidre awoke to an empty bed. Hearing the TV in the other room, she made her way toward the sound. Scott was sitting on the floor with a couple of Rachel’s stuffed animals attempting to explain the finer points of football.

“Now this is the running back,” Scott said taking the stuffed bunny rabbit in one hand. “The quarter back throws the ball to the running back and his job is to…”

“Scott, what are you doing, and when did you get here?” Deidre said sitting on the couch.

“I came over last night just after midnight. When I went into your room Rachel was still up so I put her in her bed thingy over there.” Scott said using the makeshift running back to point to the port-a-crib.

“Okay, and you still didn’t answer my first question.”

“I’m teaching Rachel about football. Every child, boy or girl, needs to understand the basics of football.”

Deidre shook her head and went to pick up Rachel, “Scott, she’s seven months. I think it’s a little early to teach her about football. Besides, Jessica already said she’s grooming Rachel to be a soccer star like Mia Hamm.”

“And you think me trying to teach her a little bit about football is ridiculous?” He asked following Deidre into the kitchen.

“Well, Jessica’s her mother and she can teach Rachel whatever she wants.” Deidre said as she opened the refrigerator with one hand to get out a container of baby food.

“You know, Jess is an unbelievable young woman. She’s in her second year of law school, working part-time and taking care of her seven-month-old baby. How the hell does she find time to make homemade baby food?” Scott asked opening the container Deidre put on the counter.

Rachel giggled and clapped her hands.

“Language, Scott.” Deidre scolded.

Scott shook his head as he opened the refrigerator and grabbed the orange juice. “What time is Jessica supposed to be coming by to get Rachel?”

“I told her to come by whenever she’s ready. I have no plans.” Deidre said. “Okay Rachel open wide.”

Scott watched as Deidre fed Rachel. The longer he sat there the more frustrated he got. “I’m going to go take a shower.”

Deidre looked up from entertaining and feeding Rachel to look at Scott, “you okay?” She asked. Deidre could see there was something on his mind.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Scott said walking out of the room.

As Deidre finished feeding Rachel, there was a knock on the door. “Okie dokie Rachel, I think that is your mommy.” She said wiping the baby’s mouth.

Again, Rachel giggled, only this time she clapped her hands harder.

Deidre got up with Rachel on her hip, and answered the door.

“Hey, Deidre.” Jessica said.

“Hey, yourself.”

Rachel squealed excitedly and reached for her mom. “Hiya baby girl.”

Deidre relinquished the hold she had on Rachel, as Jessica took the baby into her arms.

“How was she?” Jessica came into the apartment and closed the door.

“She was good. How was your New Year’s Eve party? Meet anyone special?” Deidre asked.

“The party was fine, but I didn’t meet anyone there. I already knew almost every guy there.”

While the two women sat on the couch, Rachel became restless and tried to move back toward Deidre. Seeing what she wanted, Deidre helped the little girl out. “Now bug, what do you think you’re doing?” Deidre laughed.

Jessica shook her head and laughed, “I don’t get it Deidre. You’re obviously good with children but you don’t want any yourself.”

“Kids are great for a little while. But what makes spending time with them even better is the fact that I can send them home with their parents at the end of the day.” Deidre said.

“You’ll change your mind eventually.”

“I doubt it.” Deidre smiled.

Just as they finished their conversation, Scott walked into the room. “I thought I heard you in here Jess.”

“Good morning Scott.” Jessica said standing up to hug the older man.

“How was you’re night?” Scott asked.

“It was fine. I had fun. But now it’s time to get back to mommy duty.” Jessica said. She walked over to Deidre, who was once again holding Rachel. “Come on Rachel. Let’s go home and let these two have a little adult fun.”

Deidre shook her head, and Scott went to take down and pick up the port-a-crib.

“I’ll bring this down for you.” Scott said.

Jessica waved goodbye and Scott followed her out the door.

Scott came back upstairs and found Deidre straightening up her apartment.

“So,” Deidre said stopping what she was doing to look at Scott. She leaned her back against the counter and crossed her arms.

“So what?” Scott asked sitting down on the couch.

“You’re going to pretend that nothing is wrong with you?”

Scott sighed and looked at his girlfriend. “I love you.” He started.

“I know that.” Deidre said. There was something in the tone of his voice that told her she was not going to like where this conversation was going.

“I want a kid Deidre.” Scott said.

Deidre closed her eyes. This was a conversation she was dreading. “And I don’t.”

“I know that and I want to accept that but it’s hard to watch you be this brilliant person with Rachel knowing that it’s something I’ll never get to really experience with our kid. Because damn it Deidre we’d have a great kid.”

Deidre hung her head not really knowing what to say.

“Why can’t you be that person for our kid? Why don’t you want to share that side of you with the world?” Scott asked frustrated.

“Because I’m not a giving person. I’m selfish and I like my life, our life, just the way it is. I do not want things to change. I wish I could explain it better for you, but I can’t.” Deidre said.

The two of them remained silent for a while. “You’re mad.” Deidre said.

“I’m frustrated.” Scott said standing up.

“Scott,” Deidre said.

Scott ignored her and began walking to the door. He picked his keys off of the table and opened the door. “I’ll call you later Deidre. I just, I need to think okay.” Without looking back he stepped out of the door and left.

Scott made his way to the parking lot. After getting into his car, he did not go anywhere. He sat for a while before he decided to call his mom for advice.

Catherine Simon picked up the phone on its second ring. She knew it was her son. “Happy New Year Scott.”

“Hi mom. Happy New Year to you too.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Deidre does not want kids. She’s very adamant about that.”

“And you do.” Catherine stated.

“Yeah, I don’t get it. She’s so good with them. You remember by the time we left after Thanksgiving Margot was following her around like a puppy. And the boys adored her too.”

“I know.”

“And do you know what the funny thing is mom? I never thought about having my own family until Deidre. She makes me want to have kids. I know it’s not easy but I think with her I could do it; we could do it.”

Catherine sighed. She could tell her son was upset and somewhat confused. “Scott, you want children, but at what price. Kids are wonderful blessings but I don’t want to see you in pain because one part of your plan didn’t work out the way it was supposed to. From what you’re saying, you want to be a father, but only if Deidre is the mother. But Deidre doesn’t want that. And you don’t want to have a child with any other person. You can’t force her to agree with you on this.”

“I know mom. But this is a point that is hard to compromise.” Scott said.

“Relationships are about compromise, sweetie. You can’t always get your way. She has a right to feel the way she feels. You love her?”

“Yes.”

“Can you honestly see your life without her in it?” Catherine asked.

Scott closed his eyes and let out a deep breath. “No, I can’t.”

“Then I think you need to respect her decision.”

“I don’t like it.” Scott said childishly.

“I never said you had to. But you must respect it.”

“Thanks mom.”

“You’re welcome. I have to go now. Love you.”

“Love you too.” Scott hung up the phone and started his car. He was going to leave, but before he could pull out of the parking space, his phone rang again. He put his car in park to answer it.

“Hey,” Scott said.

“Hi. I know I didn’t tell you what you wanted to hear.” Deidre said.

“Yeah,” Scott said.

“Scott, I just don’t see myself in that role…”

“But you’d be so great at it.” Scot interrupted.

“So everyone keeps telling me but…”

“Then why won’t you listen?”

Deidre sighed and Scott could tell she was frustrated through the phone. “Look, I can’t promise you that I’ll change my mind. But can we table the discussion and come back to it.”

“Okay,” Scott said quietly.

“Like in a few years.” Deidre said.

“Okay, we’ll talk about it later.” Scott said.

“Like I said, I can’t promise you that I’ll change my mind. But I am willing to reconsider my position. Just not yet.”

“That’s better than nothing right?” Scott said.

“Yeah. Scott, I love you.”

“I know that Deidre, and I love you to. I’m not going anywhere. You can’t get rid of me that easily.” Scott said smiling into the phone.

 

End Notes:

Images of Jessica and baby Rachel are up too!

February 14, take two by carolinaheart

 

Hannah Simon sat in her brother's apartment waiting for him to get home. She had important things to discuss with him, such as when he was going to pop the question to his girlfriend. Sitting on the couch she sighed, she'd already searched the entire apartment for the ring she was sure he had. Hannah wanted to help him plan the whole thing and she felt this week would be perfect, considering it was the week of Valentine's Day.

Scott walked into his abode and just missed hitting Hannah with his duffle bag.

"Hey, watch where you throw that thing Scott."

"Hannah, what are you doing here?" He asked tired from a long day filled with surgeries and paper work.

"Well, I know that you're planning on asking Deidre to marry you, I just wanted to know when, where and what the ring looks like. I already searched in here so I assume you have it with you. I was thinking that maybe I could help you plan the whole thing and that this week is the perfect time, considering Valentine's Day is coming up." Hannah explained.

"First of all, Hannah I don't think any of this is any of your concern." Scott said making his way to the back. "I also want to know how you got into my apartment."

"Don't you remember? You made me a key in case of emergencies." Hannah smiled.

Scott came back out after a few minuets and buttoning up a new shirt. "I don't recall making you a key for 'emergencies.' And even so, this is no emergency."

"Well I took your keys one day while you were napping and made my own key. But that's beside the point. This is an emergency. My big brother is in love and he has no clue when he's going to ask the love of his life, who if I must say so myself must be missing a few screws for even thinking about dating you let alone fall in love with you, to marry him and he doesn't even have a plan."

"Hannah I am not discussing this with you."

"Do you have a ring?"

"Not yet."

"Then how the hell do you plan on proposing to her on Valentine's Day without a ring."

"Did I ever once say I was going to propose to Deidre on Valentine's Day?"

"So you're not going to ask her to marry you any time soon?" Hannah asked.

"Valentine's Day is too predictable Hannah."

"But it'd be so romantic. I want to be proposed to on Valentine's Day, with red roses a carriage ride and everything."

"I hope that isn't going to happen any time soon."

"And why do you say that?"

"Because you're my little sister and no man will be getting within a hundred feet of you as long as I'm around."

"It's a little too late for that Scott." Hannah smiled mischievously.

"Hannah, that is more than I want to know."

"Well, if you aren't going to pop the question, then what are your plans for Valentine's Day?"

"Well I think we might just hang out and watch a movie or something."

"You're kidding me right?"

"Hannah if I tell you my real plans, the first thing you'll do is call Deidre and tell her."

"You know she hates surprises right."

"No I didn't know that Hannah." Scott said sarcastically as he went into the kitchen.

"Are you about to cook something, because I'm starving."

"I'm getting a beer. You can order a pizza if you want."

"Fine, but we aren't through talking about your plans for the fourteenth."

"I believe we are if you want me to pay for the pizza you're ordering." Scott said sitting back down.

"Whatever." Hannah rolled her eyes and began to look through the phone book for a decent pizza place that delivered.

The next morning Hannah made her way through the hospital in search of Emi Rodriguez. Dr. Justin Kent on the other hand was minding his own business when a short blonde with brown eyes walking through the hospital interrupted his thinking..

"Excuse me Dr.." Hannah looked intensely at his badge. "Kent, but I'm looking for Dr. Emilia Rodriguez, she's an orthopedic surgeon around here."

"I know who she is…"

"Great, do you know where she is?"

"Look lady…"

"Hannah."

"Look Hannah, I'm not some babysitter around here. I'm a surgeon…"

"He thinks he's a surgeon, that has yet to be proven though." Scott said walking up to the two.

"Dr. Walker,"

"If you don't have anything better to do than to talk to my baby sister Kent, you can go get me some coffee."

Alex rolled his eyes and walked off.

"Why'd you have to do that Scott? He was kind of hot, scratch that he was incredibly hot, I was about to ask him out." Hannah smiled.

"If you did, you would have ruined his career."

"How so?"

"He would never become a plastic surgeon, I'd ruin his reputation, although it's not like it's that great any way."

"Scott you are such a big brother," Deidre said as she walked up behind Hannah.

"Hi, Deidre I was just looking for Emi."

"Don't you have your own friends Hannah?" Scott asked.

"Don't you have residents to torture?" Deidre countered.

"I'll see you later Hannah." Scott said as he turned around and walked away.

"I saw Emi about an hour ago; she was just getting out of surgery. She might be in an on call room somewhere. What's up?"

"Oh, nothing. I'm gonna' go see if I can find her. Bye Deidre."

Deidre shook her head and went on her way.

Emi was enjoying the peace and quiet of the on call room when Hannah rudely interrupted her relaxation.

"Emi," Hannah said barging into the door.

Emi shot straight up and looked at the new occupant of the room. "Hannah, what the hell?"

"Do you have any idea how many on call rooms I've been to looking for you?"

Emi looked at her with a blank expression on her face.

"Well it doesn't matter. I need to know if you know what Scott is planning on doing for Valentine 's Day."

"What? Why?"

"Because I need to decide if I'll have to completely change his plans."

"I have no clue what Scott is planning on doing. For all I know he could be jumping out of a plane tomorrow. Besides, Scott is a big boy he can make his own plans."

"They might not be appropriate though. I don't want my future sister-in-law to ask me why I didn't help him to make their first Valentine's Day together extra special."

"Technically this is not their first Valentine’s Day together. They hung out together last year at a bar, completely by accident though. Anyway that doesn’t matter. You and I both know that Deidre is not that type of person. Wait a minuet he's going to propose?"

"One of these days, but NOT tomorrow. Tomorrow is too predictable, too romantic." Hannah explained.

"Wow, I knew they were serious but I never thought that he'd consider settling down permanently."

"You and the rest of the world. But he's been hinting at it since Thanksgiving when he talked to my mom. He's in love, and if you ask me so is she. She has got to be crazy."

"Why do you say that?"

"Well because, I have to love him, he's my brother. She chose to love him. You've met my brother."

"Sometimes you can't help it." Emi said thinking about her own relationship with Miguel. "Oh, did Scott or Deidre tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Miguel and I are engaged. And this time, I'm actually going to have a wedding." Emi smiled.

"This time?"

"It's a long story."

"Everything is around here. Look I've got to go, talk to you later." Hannah walked out of the room and closed the door behind her. No sooner had she turned the corner, than she ran into a familiar face.

"Hannah, what are you doing here?" Chase asked surprised by her appearance.

"Visiting my brother."

"No I mean what are you doing in Seattle?"

"I moved here a while ago didn't Scott tell you?" Hannah asked.

"I don't exactly talk to your brother like I used to." Chase confessed.

"Oh, I see. Well it doesn't matter. I've got to get out of here any way. It was nice seeing you."

"Same to you." Derek watched as Hannah walked out of the hospital doors.

Just as Hannah left, Scott walked up.

"Scott, how come I didn't know Hannah moved here?" Chase asked.

"There are a lot of things you don't know Chase. In case you haven't noticed we aren't exactly friends anymore. I've got things I need to do. See you around."

Chase shook his head and went on his own way. Wondering what else he did not know about his former best friend.

At the end of the day, Scott and Deidre met up outside in the parking deck. "Hey Scott," Deidre said walking up to him.

"Yeah."

"What are we doing tomorrow, the standard hanging out while watching movies?"

"Um, no. I'll be by at 6:30 to pick you up."

"Right and I am to where what exactly?"

"The same thing you wore last year."

"I swear if you recreate last year's Valentine's Day I will kill you. I don't expect much but really Valentine's Day in a bar two years in a row would really suck." Deidre said.

Scott rolled his eyes. "Don't worry; it will be nothing like last year's Valentine's Day." And with that Scott got into his car and drove away.

Deidre shook her head and got into her own car. When she got home she looked for the dress Scott had instructed her to where and hung it up in the bathroom so she wouldn't have to do it the next day. She then picked up her phone and gave Emi a call.

"Hey Deidre, what's up?"

"Emi do you have any idea what Scott is planning for tomorrow?"

"Not a clue. That's what Hannah was trying to get out of me when she came by the hospital today. She was dying to know. What did he say?"

"He instructed me to wear the same black dress I wore last year when I ended up at the bar with him."

"That's interesting. You don't think you're going to go back to that bar do you?"

"I hope not. I'm no romantic but, last year my date sucked and I would like to forget it."

"Well you did end up hanging out with Scott didn't you?"

"Yeah but the whole idea of going back there on Valentine's Day really irks me. I don't know what it is. I'd be perfectly happy if he told me we were just staying in watching movies you know."

"Yeah Deidre, you are defiantly not romantic."

"What are you and Miguel doing?"

"We are staying in. He's going to cook for me."

"That sounds nice."

“Yes despite the grilling fiasco, thankfully Miguel is an excellent cook and I don't have to worry about it tasting bad. Look I know Scott can be a little dense at times, but I'm sure he's got something nice planned for the two of you."

"Right, we'll see about that. I'll see you tomorrow at work."

"Alright, Night Deidre."

"Night Emi." Deidre hung up the phone and finished getting ready for bed.

On Valentine's Day Scott arrived at Deidre's apartment promptly at 6:30 for their date. Dressed in a black suit, he knocked on her door waiting for her to appear.

Deidre opened the door knowing exactly who it was on the other side. "You know Scott, tonight you look pretty good."

"Thanks, you don't look so bad yourself." He smiled. "You ready to go?"

"I guess, but I'd be even more ready if I knew where we are going tonight."

"Well if I told you it'd ruin the surprise." Scott explained as they walked down the stairs and out to the car.

"How many times have I told you, I don't do surprises?" She said as she bent down to get into the car.

"Well I guess you'll have to learn to like them." Scott closed the passenger side door and got in his own side.

Scott pulled the car up to the one place Deidre did not want to go, the Space Needle. He parked the car and got out. Deidre looked around hoping this was not their final destination. He knew her greatest fear was heights.

Scott went around to her side of the vehicle and opened the door. "Come on Deidre, our reservation is for seven." He extended his hand and helped her out of the car.

"Seriously Scott, you know how terrified I am of heights. Why the hell would you bring me hear for Valentine's Day?" Deidre asked furiously.

Scott only smirked and pulled her along. "We all have to face our fears some time or another and there's no better time than the present."

"No, I'm not going Scott. I don't care how long you've been planning this but I refuse to go up there." Deidre tried to stand her ground, but Scott continued to pull her toward the door.

When they got to the door, Scott stopped and turned around. He looked at the usually confident woman standing terrified in front of him. "Deidre, look once you get up there you'll love the view. There is no way your going to fall because you'd have to break the glass. And if for some crazy reason there wasn't any glass, I wouldn't let you fall. If you want you can hold onto my hand the entire time." He explained.

Finally conceding Deidre nodded her head. "I'm telling you now, if I fall, you're coming with me."

Scott smiled. "Gladly. Now I think we should probably go on up and be seated. I'm starving and they say the food is to die for at Sky City."

They walked inside and got on the elevator that took them up to the restaurant, the entire time Deidre held on tight to Scott's hand. When they were finally seated close to the window, Deidre let go and slowly peered out the window to take in the view. For security sake she lightly tapped on the glass before deciding there was indeed nothing to fear.

"So what are we having for dinner?" She asked a few moments later after she was sure there was no way for her to fall to her death.

"I'm not sure. This is my first time coming to this place. I was thinking of trying the Seafood trio. What about you?"

"I guess I'll try that as well."

Their dinner 500 feet off the ground went well. They both enjoyed the food as well as the complimentary ride up to the observation deck, where Deidre once again held on tight to Scott's hand. To conclude the night's events Scott and Deidre left the restaurant and went back to her apartment.

"So did you have a nice evening?" Scott asked.

"If you ever take me there again you will not see the next day." Deidre threatened.

"Well at least now you can say you went there. You've faced your fear and that's the first step in concurring it." Scott smiled.

"Are you ever going to tell me what your fear is?" She asked on the way to her room where she put her shoes back in their proper place.

"I don't know."

"And why is that?"

"Because, it may be something I don't have to fear any more."

"And you know that how?" Deidre asked plopping down on the couch next to him.

"If it told you, I'd have to kill you."

"What is it with you and murder? I'm seriously starting to fear for my life." Deidre joked.

"You laugh now."

Deidre gave him a threatening look. "Joking Deidre, just joking. Couldn't hurt you even if I wanted to."

"You say that now." Deidre said as she leaned her head back on his arm. "I really did enjoy tonight."

"I'm glad you did."

 

 

Everybody loves a Wedding by carolinaheart

 

Scott closed his eyes for a while thinking about everything that Deidre had said so far. From what he heard she was the perfect woman for him. He smiled at that thought. At one point, early in their friendship, Scott thought somehow he would end up with Rebecca, but from what Deidre had told him he and Becca were meant to be friends.

"What kind of relationship do you have with Becca?" Scott asked. “I mean, you mentioned her earlier.”

"Becca and I are pretty good friends. We don’t talk every week, but we have a phone call often enough. We went to her wedding.”

"Really, Rebecca got married? To who?” Scott asked.

"Yeah, the whole thing was nice and a bit short notice. She married the guy she told us about when she and Shri came to visit. Me and you along with Emi and Miguel flew down together."

“What about Chase?” Scott asked.

“What about him?”

“He and Becca are friends too.” Scott said.

“Not really. Your friendship ending with Chase was almost like a divorce and you got Rebecca.” Deidre explained.

“Oh.”

-----------------------------------------------------

A few days after Valentine's Day Scott and Emi received invitations to Rebecca's wedding, of course Scott's was addressed to both him and Deidre while Emi's was addressed to Miguel as well. The wedding was to take place in northern California at Rebecca’s family vineyard. The four friends booked seats on the same flight to California in mid March to attend the wedding of Rebecca Austin Long and Ryan Joseph Parker.

"God I love it here." Emi said as she stepped out of the airport and into the sun.

"Maybe you should move then." Scott suggested.

"I don't know, too much of a good thing you know?"

"Please explain that one to me." Scott said.

"Well if I lived in northern California I’d spend every weekend at a different vineyard tasting different wine. Also the weather is so nice all year round, I might get tired of it. "

"Right," Scott put his shades on and shook his head.

"Don't worry Emi, your statement made perfect sense; it was just too deep for him to understand." Deidre said.

"Thanks Deidre thanks a lot."

"Now children let's all behave." Rebecca said as she walked up to them.

"Becca! It's so good to see you. You look fantastic by the way. I can't believe that your pregnant and getting married!" Emi exclaimed hugging her friend.

"Yes well, that’s life right." Rebecca smiled as she rubbed her belly. She pushed strands of her red hair out of her face and turned to Miguel. "It's good to see you again too Miguel. I heard you've swept Emi off her feet."

"I did my best." Miguel smiled and gave Rebecca a hug as well.

"Scott, I still cannot believe that you have been seeing the same person for almost a year. I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks Becca. You look great by the way."

"Thank you. Deidre, god help you for putting up with that man," She said pulling the other woman into a hug.

"It's hard work and somebody's got to keep him in line wouldn't want to let him loose on the female population." Deidre smiled. "How far along are you any way?"

"Six months, sometimes its hard to believe this is all happening now. I'm so glad you all could make it. Did you make reservations at a hotel?"

"No, you asked us not to."

"And since when have you ever done anything I asked Scott?" Becca asked rolling her eyes.

"Do we need to?" Miguel asked.

"Of course not. The house on the grounds has plenty of room for everyone. Also there are two guesthouses if we need them.”

"Wait a minuet; when was the extra guesthouse built?" Scott asked.

"Shortly after the spring break we spent here in med school. My dad decided since he had to redo the guesthouse we completely tore up, he might as well build a second one.”

"Wow," Deidre said.

“That’s my dad for you,” Rebecca smiled.

“I still can’t believe I didn’t know your family owned a series of vineyards.” Emi said.

“It’s not something I like to boast about.”

“Maybe we should all get going and settle down. Personally I'd like to take a nap." Deidre suggested.

"Of course. This way. I rented a mini-van for this week so we could all be together." Rebecca said as she showed them to the vehicle.

The ride to the Austin-Long vineyard was filled with laughter and catching up among the friends. When they arrived at the house, they saw a number of other cars parked in front off to the side in the driveway.

"Don't tell me the wedding is today Becca." Emi said getting out of the car.

"No, everyone from the practice is here. We shut down the office for the weekend and flew up here together. My parents are conveniently out of the country so it’s really going to jus be a small affair.  Oh, and I hope you don't mind Scott but I invited Molly too."

"Why exactly did you invite Molly?"

"Because, she's the closest thing I have to a sister and we still talk every week."

"Does Chase know?"

"What Chase doesn't know won't kill him and it’s not like the two of us were ever married. Besides, Molly said that he barley calls her anymore and she’s his sister." Rebecca led the group into the house where her colleagues and friends were sitting around drinking.

"Hey Becca you’re back." Shri said.

"I told you it wouldn't be long. I think we should introduce everyone so how about we just go around and say names?"

Everyone went around and introduced himself or herself. "So which one of you is the groom?" A voice said from the hallway.

"Molly!" Rebecca said excitedly as she went to hug her close friend.

"I saw the door open and decided to come on in. So is someone going to answer my question?"

"That would be me, Ryan Parker." He said extending his hand.

"It is nice to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you. By the way, I'm Molly." She introduced herself.

"Well if it isn't Jolly Molly." Scott said as he made his way over to the slender brunette with short hair.

"Watch it Tater Scott."

"Aw Molly did you have to pull out the old nicknames?" Scott asked as he hugged her.

"You started it any way." She smiled sweetly up at him. "Here take my bags to my room while I meet everyone. Oh but before you leave, point out your date so I can bad mouth you."

"Deidre's over there with Emi. She’s the one wearing the blue shirt."

"Thanks." Molly walked over to where Emi and Deidre were sitting with Shri making small talk. "Hello ladies how are you all this lovely day."

"We're fine, Molly. It has been a long time since I've seen you. It had to be at the graduation party Becca threw." Shri said as she went to hug the newest arrival.

"I know. We have got to stop meeting each other exclusively at Becca's events, my God. So, which one of you is lucky enough to be sleeping with the man candy I sent to put my bags up?"

"That would be me, Deidre James."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Molly. Hook up with me later I have got some stories for you." Molly smiled mischievously. "And you are?"

"Emi Rodriguez, I worked with Becca for a while before she left Seattle."

"Well Seattle doesn't sound like it was a complete waste of time for her; she made a couple of friends."

"I guess you could say that," Rebecca said joining the group and bringing Vanessa with her. "Vanessa looked like she was feeling a little left out, hanging around over there with Carson."

"Rebecca I was perfectly fine over there. Carson and I were having a nice discussion about his latest internet escapade."

"He's still doing that?" Shri asked.

"Yes, I've been trying to get to the root of his constant need for meeting different strangers online and sleeping with them."

Shri and Rebecca smiled knowingly before Rebecca piped up, "Vanessa, you need to stop analyzing it. Take a step back and look at the complete picture, then you'll find your reasoning."

"Do you two know something I don't?"

Rebecca and Shri both looked over to where Carson was standing, the rest of the group followed suit. Carson had been gazing in the female's direction when he noticed all of their attention was focused on him. He quickly turned back around.

"I think we all know something you don't. Vanessa was it?" Deidre said taking a sip of her drink.

All the women began to laugh, except Vanessa who stood there confused.

"Well, if you think he's attracted to me you can scratch that." She interjected after their laughter died down.

"Now why do you say that Nessa?" Shri asked.

"Because we tried the whole friends with benefits thing and it didn't go well."

"Really?" Rebecca asked.

"He couldn't even stand the sight of me without any clothes on and he left. It must have felt like he was looking at his sister." Vanessa explained.

Molly shook her head. She'd only known the woman for about thirty minuets, and she could already see that she did not have a clue that Carson was in love with her. The rest of the evening went much like the afternoon. Later in the night Rebecca’s friends from New York, Gigi and Wesley, showed up. The couple was immediately separated. By the time they'd arrived, the men had made their way down to one of the guesthouses while the women remained in main house.

The next morning came faster than anyone had expected it to. The entire vineyard was busy. The groundskeepers were setting up while the guests and bridal party were getting ready.

The women sat together in a room in the main house talking while changing into their wedding attire.

"Rebecca what color exactly is your dress? In your condition no one would believe the whole white thing." Molly smiled.

"It's a simple cream colored dress, but it has emerald stitching. For the empire waste there is an emerald belt and the straps are the same color." She smiled as she put a spoonful of peanut butter, mustard and ice cream into her mouth.

"Rebecca that is disgusting," Carina said as she painted her toenails. Carina was Shri and Ben’s fourteen-year-old daughter. When everyone else had arrived the previous day, Carina was in a room on the Internet chatting with her friends from home

"Carina, don't get all high and mighty. When I was pregnant with you I had the strangest craving for pickles, ketchup, ice cream and orange juice, in a smoothie." Shri said.

"Mom, did you really have to go there."

"Yes."

"So Gigi how's everything in New York?" Rebecca asked.

"Fine, all of our 'friends' miss you. When I told them you were getting married they all were shocked." Gigi explained.

"That sounds like them." Rebecca said.

"My mom is deeply hurt Becca," Molly said.

"Molly…"

"Let me finish. She knows that technically you're not apart of the family but you could still give her a call every now and then.”

“Wait, why would your mom consider Becca as part of your family?” Deidre asked confused.

“Becca and my brother, Chase dated for a while. Everyone thought they would get married. But the two of them decided it was best to be just friends.” Molly explained.

“I didn’t know that.” Deidre said.

“It was a very long time ago. And I didn’t know your mom felt that way Molly.” Rebecca said.

“Well she does. When I told her I was coming for your wedding, and that you were pregnant she sent this." Molly pulled out a hand knitted yellow baby blanket and handed it to Rebecca.

Rebecca smiled as she began to tear up. "Oh Molly, your mom always is so sweet."

While the water works began to flow, Deidre decided she needed some fresh air. Rebecca noticed the Seattle resident leave, so she dried her eyes and went to see what was up. "Not the emotional type are you?" She asked as she stood next to her.

"Nope not exactly, but I'm happy for you." Deidre smiled.

"You do know that one day this will be you right?"

Deidre looked at Rebecca, "that is doubtful."

"You can't tell me you don't know that Scott is thinking about buying you a ring, getting down on one knee and popping the question."

Deidre looked at Rebecca with no surprise anywhere on her face. "I know, and if he asks I'll say yes, and we'll do the wedding thing with close friends and family."

"As long as you know. So what part of this whole thing is doubtful then?" Rebecca asked confused.

"I just don’t see myself with a kid. I like kids, they’re cool little people, but their best when they can go home to their parents.”

"I see."

“I’m trying to remain open minded about the whole idea, but it’s hard. I don’t want children, and Scott does. When I found that out I was surprised because really it’s Scott and I wasn’t expecting that. And now I’m rambling.” Deidre laughed nervously.

“Deidre, I know you don’t want to be a mom but just consider this. I’ve known Scott for years and he has never shown any interest whatsoever in being a father, until he met you. If he thinks he is able to do the whole parenting thing it’s because there is something about you. If Scott is willing to rewrite his whole life plan, shouldn’t you consider stepping up to the plate and making some changes as well?”

“I’m trying.” Deidre said.

“Well I think you should try harder. Look, we should head inside; it's about time for us to get dressed."

Deidre and Rebecca walked back into the house where the other women were already making their way to a room to get dressed.

A few hours later the large group assembled outside, sans the bride. Ryan stood at the end of the aisle under the flower-decorated arch in a simple linen suite. In the background was the most beautiful sunset one could imagine. As Rebecca made her way down the aisle all her friends watched with large smiles on their faces. It was undoubtedly one of the most romantic weddings any of them had the pleasure of attending.

After the "I dos" were said and the cake cut, everyone assembled under a tent for the reception. "Alright everyone, as unofficial maid of honor, it's time to throw the bouquet. So if all you single ladies would please step over here with me, we can get this thing rolling." Shri said

Deidre, Vanessa, Shri and Emi (who was there just for the fun of it) all stood in a small group. Rebecca smiled and winked at everyone and threw the bouquet back. All of the women moved out the way (as planned) and watched as the flowers hit Vanessa's head and fell right into her hands. She looked around at her fellow "single" ladies with shock on her face.

"What the, did you guys have this planned or something?" She asked.

None of the women said anything they just smiled. Next the men assembled for the garter toss. There was no plan whatsoever for the men. The elastic garter just happened to fall right into Carson's hands. "I think this is fate Carson." Ryan said.

Carson's face turned red and everyone laughed. "I think you two ought to dance together Vanessa." Deidre suggested pushing the still in shock woman over toward her best friend. As the music played more couples joined the floor. The small party of friends danced, happy to be in each other's company for a while.

However, instead of joining her friends on the dance floor, Deidre sat at a table with a glass of champagne. Scott came up to the table and sat down next to her.

“Hey,” Scott said.

Deidre gave him a small smile. “Hey yourself.”

“What’s going on in there?” He asked tapping her head lightly.

“I’m trying Scott.”

“What are you talking about?” Scott asked confused.

“I’m trying to be okay with the idea of a kid. Just don’t push me please.” She said turning to face him.

Scott placed his hands on her thighs and smiled. “Okay, I won’t push you. But I just want you to know, you wouldn’t regret the decision to do the whole parenting thing with me.”

A kid Scott. One,” Deidre said holding up one finger. “One child. That’s it.”

“Okay,” Scott said nodding his head.

“And not in the first year. I just, we have to be us first okay.”

“Okay.”

“And stop with the silly grin, this is just…This is me trying.” Deidre said.

“I know, and I love you for trying.” Scott said. He kissed her lightly on the lips before resting his forehead against hers.

“Hey what are you two doing over there?” Molly called as she walked toward Scott and Deidre sitting at the table. “Get your asses on this dance floor.”

 

Happy Birthday by carolinaheart

 

April marked the one-year anniversary of their first date, and of course Deidre and Scott did nothing special. The two professionals were both busy and could care less about little things like that. What April also brought was Deidre's birthday. Early in the month Scott conceded to Hannah's wishes and allowed her to help him search for the perfect birthday gift. So on the first Saturday, while Deidre was spending the day with Jessica, Scott and Hannah went to the mall.

"Scott, what are you planning for her birthday?" Hannah asked as they passed by yet another department store.

Scott smiled mischievously, "I was thinking a dress with some shoes. Rebecca told me that I could never go wrong if I bought Deidre shoes."

"Well you can if the shoes are hideous."

"Which is why I brought you along. We also need to stop by Tiffany's on our way home."

Hannah excitedly began fidget, "Oh my God! Are you asking her on her birthday?"

"No, I also bought her a necklace."

Hannah pouted as she came down off of her artificial high, "Really Scott it's been six months since you first said you'd ask her and you still haven't gotten her a ring, nor have you divulged when you're going to ask her."

"Maybe, I want it to be a surprise for you as well Hannah."

"Ugh you are so frustrating." Hannah shook her head. "What color dress are you thinking about getting her?"

"I'm not sure, whatever comes at me."

"Maybe you should just get her a gift card to SAKs instead."

"Deidre hates shopping."

"Okay, maybe you should just buy her a ring and be done with it."

Scott tilted his head then looked at his sister.

"Fine, so you're being a mean big brother and not spilling any details of this engagement you've been planning for the past six months. But I still think you should just nix the whole shoes and dress idea and get some earrings to go with the necklace and a nice dinner and call it a day."

"For once Hannah, I think I agree with you."

"You should do that more often, it's good for you."

Scott and Hannah left the mall and got into the car to go to Tiffany's the famous jewelry store.

"You know Emi and Miguel have set a date."

"Really when is it?" Scott asked.

"September fifth. Emi is super excited. Ever since Rebecca's wedding, which I'm still mad that I didn't get invited to, she's wanted a simple yet elegant wedding. She also figured that by then Becca will have lost the baby weight and could fit into a nice matron of honor dress."

"So Becca's the maid of honor?"

"No the matron, if she were the maid of honor she wouldn't be married. That job goes to Deidre since by the looks of it she'll still be unmarried and unengaged by the time September rolls around."

"Did she say where the wedding's going to be?"

"Some church."

"Oh, that's helpful. Come on let's go inside."

Scott and Hannah got out of the car and walked into the Tiffany's jewelry store. The bell rang as they stepped inside. The gentleman behind the counter smiled, and came toward his two new customers.

"Hello," he said, "my name is Phillip, what is it that you two are looking for?"

"Well he should be looking for an engagement ring, but that's not going to happen." Hannah said as she made her way over to the case that held the rings.

"A little frustrated are we?" Phillip asked.

"A little, he's been talking about proposing for the last six months and he has yet to pop the question."

"Sir, I believe that your girlfriend is dropping some pretty big hints."

"I'm not his girlfriend," Hannah said.

"Oh."

"She's my sister. She's going to help me pick out earrings to go with the necklace you're holding for me."

"I'd rather be picking out a ring." Hannah said rolling her eyes, crossing her arms and walking over to where the two men were conversing.

"Will you shut up if I show you the ring?"

"Wait you've got it already? Where is it? Why haven't I seen it?"

"Phillip, could you look up and see if the ring is ready? It should be under the name Scott Walker. Oh, and can you bring the necklace out as well?"

"Of course. I'll be right back." Phillip then disappeared into the back.

"Why didn't you tell me you got the ring already? Ugh I'm so mad at you and I refuse to talk to you after today."

"Why after today?"

"Because I still have to help you with earrings."

"Okay Mr. Walker here is the necklace, and the ring is ready as well. It says here you've already paid for both." Phillip said as he came back from retrieving the specified items.

"Scott, that is gorgeous!" Hannah said putting her hand to her mouth.

"Which one?"

"Both, but the ring it's incredible. Deidre will love it!"

"Go ahead I know you want to take it out of the box."

Hannah grinned like an idiot and picked the ring out of the box. As she turned it around to watch it catch the sunlight, she could not stop smiling. "This is amazing."

"This is our Lucida with Trilliant side stones it's quite popular. It's also apart of our Tiffany Legends collection." Phillip explained.

"Hannah you can put it in the box now." Scott said.

"Right." Hannah delicately placed the ring back into the box.

"Could you also wrap it up for me?"

"Of course."

"Scott, how on earth did you pick out this necklace too?"

"It caught my eye."

"Scott it has aquamarines and a diamond! Is this platinum?" Hannah asked.

"No, actually it is 18kt white gold." Phillip explained. "Do you want this one wrapped too?"

"No, thank you though."

"You know what Scott," Hannah said.

"What?"

"I really don't think you need the earrings too."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

"Okay then Phillip this'll be it."

"Of course. Here's the necklace, and let me go wrap up the engagement ring for you." He disappeared into the back once again, only to come back a few minuets later with a small box wrapped in the signature Tiffany packaging with a white ribbon around it.

"Thank you Phillip."

"You're welcome. I hope you come back to see us." He said as Scott and Hannah walked out the door.

"So what is your plan for the necklace?"

"Must you know everything I'm planning?" Scott asked getting into the car.

"Yes I MUST know everything you're planning."

"Well I'm not going to tell you." Scott smiled as he pulled the car into traffic. "How about we go get lunch?"

"Works for me."

The next two weeks Hannah could barely keep her mouth shut. She wanted to scream from the roof tops that Scott had gotten Deidre the most amazing necklace for her birthday and that the engagement ring was to die for as well. Since she couldn't tell anyone in Seattle, she decided to give Rebecca, who of course could not keep her mouth shut either, a call. Rebecca decided to call Scot and see how everything was going.

"Hello?" Scott asked answering the phone. It was the night before Deidre's birthday and he'd just gotten in from work. He was going to go over to her apartment for their movie night and other extra curricular activities.

"Scott, it's Becca. Hannah told me about the necklace and the ring."

"I knew she could not keep a secret."

"Well I looked up the ring on the Internet and I must say you did well."

"You think?"

"Yeah, and it looks like you paid a pretty penny for it too." Rebecca said.

"I had a price range."

"I see. So what exactly are your plans for her birthday?"

"I'm going to give her the necklace and we're going out to eat."

"That sounds nice. I see you got rid of the whole shoes and dress option."

"Yeah, Hannah said the necklace was enough."

"I'd have to agree. Look I'll talk to you later. This kid loves to jump on my bladder for some reason. Bye Scott and good luck."

"Bye Becca." Scott hung up the phone and finished getting everything he would need for the next couple of nights. He was not planning on coming back to his apartment for anything.

On the morning of her birthday Deidre James woke up to an almost empty bed. She frowned; her boyfriend of the last year was nowhere in sight. However there was a card sitting on top of twelve white calla lilies, her favorite flower. Inside the card was a simple note: Happy Birthday Deidre. Look in the mirror.

So Deidre grabbed her glasses off of the nightstand and and walked into her adjoining bathroom. When she did look up in the mirror she saw the necklace Scott bought, around her neck. She smiled and fingered the aquamarines. Now I have to find something to wear with this. She thought. As she came to terms with the fact that her boyfriend had in fact not forgotten her birthday, she went back into her bedroom.

She looked around and spied a square shaped box that was about a foot wide. Deidre opened the box and sitting inside of it were two smaller boxes, which she could tell were defiantly from Tiffany & Co. One looked like it could be a ring or earring box and the other was slender, like a bracelet. On top of the bracelet box was a note that read Open me first. So she did. Inside was a sterling silver bracelet with a heart charm. Inscribed on the heart were the words Marry Me. Stunned Deidre nearly dropped her new bracelet back into the box. She placed the piece of jewelry back into the box and reached for the other gift. When she opened the smaller ring box she found an engagement ring, a platinum ring with one rectangular diamond and a triangular stone on either side of the diamond. To say she was surprised was an understatement.

After staring at the ring for five minuets, she realized that even though it was her birthday and she was now engaged, she still had to go to work. So she stood up and went to the bathroom and carefully removed her necklace and placed it on the sink before she got into the shower. When she got out, she put on her necklace and the new charm bracelet, and then proceeded to get ready, like she normally does in the mornings. However, this morning she had one extra step: putting her engagement ring on her left ring finger.

When Deidre finally got to work fifteen minuets late, the first thing she did was look for Emi. However, a doctor whose malpractice suite she recently handled cut her plans short.

"Ms. James, you’re a coldhearted bitch you know that right."

Deidre rolled her eyes. "Good morning to you too Dr. Stanley. I must ask, what are you doing here?”

“I’m here to see you. How could you suggest the hospital fire me? You were supposed to be on my side.” The doctor said.

“I work for the hospital. And legally, what was best for the hospital was to let you go.” Deidre explained.

“And what about my best interests?”

“Dr. Stanley, you may have once been a brilliant doctor, and the hospital may have covered up your mistakes in the past. But this is a new era. I will not let one doctor, who clearly needs help, cost the hospital more money. I will also not allow any other patients you might have had in the future be subjected to your practices. I suggest you leave the hospital before security has to escort you off of the premises.” Deidre finished her tirade and continued on her way.

Deidre found Emi in the locker room. Sitting down on the bench, Deidre played with her new ring. “Morning Emi.”

“Hey Deidre, Happy Birthday.”

“Thanks. You will never guess who I just ran into.” Deidre said.

“Who?”

“Dr. Stanley. He came in and tried to blame me for the hospital letting him go.”

“Well, you did convince the board that it was in the best interest of the hospital from a legal standpoint.” Emi said slamming the door to her locker. She turned around to face her friend.

Deidre stood up and the two women began to walk out of the locker room.

“I did do that. But it’s still his own fault. He has a drinking problem that needs to be taken care of.” Deidre said.

“That is true. Look I have rounds in a few, so I’ll see you at lunch?” Emi said as she started to walk away.

“Wait,” Deidre said grabbing her friend’s arm. “That wasn’t the reason I was looking for you. Have a look.” Deidre said holding out her hand.

"He finally asked you?" Emi said taking hold of Deidre’s hand to get a better look at the ring.

"Sort of, he left it in a box with this bracelet." Deidre extended her right arm and showed off the charm bracelet Scott had left in the box for her.

"So yes, he did ask you. And I'm assuming since you're wearing the ring the answer is yes."

"That would be correct."

"God, I'm so excited for you. I knew this was coming."

"Thanks, we can celebrate later. Right now you have rounds, and I have legal fires to put out." Deidre said.

Throughout the rest of the day, people noticed the ring on Deidre's left finger. But no one said anything. Not too many people liked her around the hospital.

Deidre walked into the cafeteria and looked around for Emi or Scott. Spotting them sitting together, she headed over to the table.

"Well, look who's here the, birthday girl." Scott said as she sat down.

"Thanks Scott," she smiled sincerely before eating her lunch.

"So it looks like that's a yes?" Scott said.

"It is a yes. I love it and the necklace and the bracelet. I say we just stay in tonight and celebrate." Deidre suggested.

"Well we could, but then my sister would be upset because she helped plan the whole evening and all. We just can't do that to lil' old Hannah, besides I've had these reservations for two weeks now." Scott explained.

"Right, we don't want to upset your sister."

"And back out of a two week reservation," Scott said tilting his spoon toward her.

Emi smiled at their interaction. Any one else in the hospital would think it was a typical conversation between colleauges, but anyone who knew them could tell by the look in their eyes that there was so much more there.

 

Ellos les encantan una boda by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

The chapter title is spanish :).

 

"So, after I insisted to Hannah that I was not going to propose to you on your birthday I did it any way?" Scott asked.

"That would be correct."

"Well how exactly did she take it, after she found out?"

"Well, she was ecstatic to say the least but she still refused to talk to you for a week." Deidre said.

"Right, that week must have been glorious."

"Scott your sister is not that bad."

"Hannah can be extremely annoying at times. I love my sister, don't get me wrong, but the girl has been hyper active since the day she was born."

"I know Scott; I've been around her for the past seven years."

"I keep forgetting that fact."

The two sat in silence as the car continued to inch along in the traffic.

"What was our wedding like, Vegas with an Elvis impersonator?" Scott asked.

"No, although I did consider it on more than one occasion. The first time was when I was helping Emi with her own wedding."

------------------------------------------------

It was one week before Emi was scheduled to take the fateful walk down the aisle, and it seemed that everything was going wrong, well in Emi's eyes. During lunch one day of 'the week from hell' as Emi called it, Deidre and Emi were going over the seating charts for the hundredth time.

"Deidre why did I invite all these people?" Emi asked.

"I tried to warn you," Deidre said putting a spoonful of yogurt into her mouth.

 “My Uncle Jorge refuses to be anywhere near my tía Julia, they had a huge, nasty divorce."

"Emi, seriously you have got to calm down. Take a deep breath. Don't worry about everyone else; this will be your day and no one else's. If they have a problem with it, screw them. Besides, how many times did I suggest you cut down the size of your guest list?"

"You were helping until you did the whole 'I told you so' thing"

"Hello ladies. How are you today?" Scott asked sitting down with his colleagues.

"I'm going crazy!" Emi nearly screamed as she dropped her head to the table.

"I just had an epiphany, screw our January 1st wedding date and let's go to Vegas Scott. You'd love the Elvis impersonators." Deidre said seriously.

"Wow sounds like you two are having fun, I'll leave you to it. Are we still doing drinks later on tonight?" Scott asked getting up from the table mere seconds after he had sat down.

"Yeah Emi's going to need at least six shots of tequila."

"Okay then. Bye." Scott waved as he left the cafeteria.

"Look Emi, this whole freaking out thing has been fun, but I have case files to review. I'll talk to you later." Deidre got up and took her trash and left Emi to wallow in her doubts.

A few days later, it was time for Emi's final dress fitting. Both Deidre and Emi arrived at the bridal shop after a long day at the hospital. There had been a six-car pile up during the lunch hour, which led to an extremely long afternoon for Emi. And Deidre was working on the largest law suite to be filed against the hospital since she began working there.

"I hope my dress fits right." Emi said getting out of the car.

"You and me both."

They walked in expecting a quick appointment, but to their dismay everything went wrong.

"Dr. Rodriguez, good to see you. You're here for your final fitting correct?" The lady behind the counter asked.

"Yes, Amy I am."

"Great I'll go get the dress." The tall, slender blonde left her position and went in search of the dress. When it took her twenty minuets before she came back, Emi began to worry.

"Well, it seems we have a problem," Amy said returning to the front with no dress.

"What do you mean we have a problem?" Emi asked.

"The dress is not back there."

"How can the dress not be back there?" Deidre asked.

"They may have accidentally given the dress to someone else."

"I'm supposed to be getting married in four days and you're telling me that you gave my dress away?"

"I'm sorry we can give you a full refund and provide you with another dress if you'd like."

"What I would like is for my dress to be in front of me to try on and take home, that is what I would like." Emi yelled.

Deidre watched the entire scene from a chair by the window. She shook her head and for the second time considered getting on the first plane to Vegas with Scott to elope.

"I'm very sorry." Amy said as she stood behind the counter processing Emi's refund.

The two left the small bridal shop in a hurry to search for some place that would have an appropriate dress that did not need to be altered. Their first stop was the generic David's Bridal.

"I am going to kill someone," Emi said as she yanked open the door for the franchise bridal shop.

"Everything is going to fall into place Emi," Deidre said in a vain attempt to calm down her friend.

"You say that now. Just wait till your wedding and the stupid people lose the dress you order months ago." Emi said.

"Hello how can I help you ladies this evening?" A dress consultant asked.

Emi was about to open her mouth when Deidre place a calming hand on her arm. "Look, we're in dire need of a dress and soon. My friend here, Emi, is getting married in four days. Some idiot at some small bridal shop gave away her original dress; so now she needs a new one. Do you think you can help us?" Deidre asked.

"Of course. Let me pull some dresses out and you tell me which one you like. My name is Tammy by the way." She said as she rushed off to find dresses.

After trying on eleven different dresses, Emi finally found the perfect one. As she looked in the mirror and turned around, she smiled at Deidre. "This is almost better than the first dress I had."

"Almost, Emi it's perfect for you. Thank God that's over with." Deidre said.

"You do look lovely in this one." Tammy said.

"And you know Emi, the shoes you have already would go perfectly."

"I know. Thank you so much Tammy." Emi said stepping down to go remove the dress and put her clothes back on.

"It was my pleasure."

After Emi dropped Deidre off at her apartment, the first thing Deidre did was call Scott.

"Hello?" Scott said into the phone.

"Hey, you weren't sleep were you?"

"No, maybe. How'd everything go with the dress?"

"It was a nightmare. Emi had to buy a completely new dress."

"That sucks," Scott said.

"Do you think our mothers would forgive me if I decided to drag you to Vegas and elope?"

"My mother would, she'd be thankful you didn't back out. Your mother on the other hand would have a fit, and Hannah wouldn't talk to either of us for at least a year. Although that might not be such a bad thing."

"Scott, as much as Hannah annoys us both about this whole thing, it's nice to have her to talk to once in a while."

"Hmph, she's only been in your life for a year. Talk to me in five and see if you say the same thing."

"It doesn't matter. I just wanted to see what you thought of the whole Vegas idea so I'll let you return to sleeping, something I should be doing. I have a lot of work to do tomorrow."

"Alright, see you tomorrow then."

"Good night, Scott." Deidre hung up the phone and looked around the room at the various boxes. Along with helping Emi with her wedding, Deidre was in the process of packing. She and Scott had found a town house that they were moving into at the end of the month. Tired from the day, she fell into bed and did not wake up the next morning until her alarm clock went off.

It was two days before Emi's big day, and she was about to have another nervous breakdown. It seemed as if everything was going wrong for her wedding. Sitting in her apartment with her head in her hands, Emi complained to Deidre. And once again Deidre was thinking about eloping, only this time she thought they should skip the Vegas thing and go down to city hall.

"Oh my God, this has got to be a sign or something. The limo service says that the limos are not reserved; the caterer is going crazy. What am I going to do?"

"What you need to do is take a deep breath and put it all on hold while you make little faces at my handsome son." Rebecca said walking into the room.

"Thank God you're here Rebecca, I was about to jump out of the window." Deidre said.

"Yes well, I know exactly what you're going through Emi. I went through it a few months ago." Rebecca joked. "Besides I brought a distraction. Say hello to Joseph Austin Long Parker."

"He is adorable Rebecca. Let me hold him." Emi said.

"Did you give the kid enough names?" Deidre asked as she played with the baby's hand.

"Ryan said the same thing. I was going to give him one more but everyone at the practice said it would be over kill."

"You think?" Deidre asked as she looked up.

"Now, why were you freaking out again?" Rebecca asked sitting down.

"This wedding is going to be a disaster. I have relatives who are nagging me. There are issues that need to be worked out with the caterer. And on top of all that the limos aren't reserved"

"Forget about it Emi. Ignore your relatives. Don't worry about the limos and the caterer, Deidre and I will take care of it."

"We will?" Deidre asked.

"You are a life saver Rebecca." Emi said.

"I know."

On the eve of Emi's wedding, she Deidre and Rebecca sat up talking late into the night.

"So have you and Miguel talked about kids?" Rebecca asked.

"Yes and we want like six of them."

"You're kidding me right?" Deidre asked in disbelief as she put popcorn into her mouth.

"Well, we're both only children. So we don't want our kids growing up playing by themselves all the time." Emi explained.

"That makes sense." Rebecca said.

"What about you, are you and Ryan going to have more kids?" Emi asked.

"Not the natural way."

"Why not?"

"It was a miracle that Joey was even conceived. When I got to Las Vegas I'd asked Shri to help me get pregnant through in vitro. She told me that there was a very slim chance it would work. But Ryan and I have talked about adopting when Joey is a little older."

Deidre had been listening to their conversation and minding her own business when Emi broke her train of thought.

"What about you and Scott, Deidre? Have you decided one way or another about the whole kid thing?”

“I am leaning in a direction…How about we just go to bed.” Deidre said.

"We should get some sleep any way. We have got to get you down the aisle, Emi. And we don't want bags under your eyes now do we?" Rebecca said picking up their plates from earlier.

"Well this is my last night as a single woman."

"You had fun right?" Deidre asked.

"Yeah, I did. Thanks, both of you. I don't know what I would have done if you two weren't here."

"Oh, please Emi, don't go all mushy on us. Save it for tomorrow." Deidre said.

"I agree with Deidre," Rebecca said. "There will be plenty of time to get emotional tomorrow."

The three friends all went to bed, excited for the next morning, which came all too fast. Emi woke up to Going to the Chapel, playing on a CD player. She rolled over and opened her eyes. Her two friends were already up and bouncing around to the song.

"Oh, God," She groaned. "Did you two really have to wake me up with this song? Was it necessary?"

"Necessary no," Deidre smiled.

"Fun, definitely." Rebecca finished.

"Get up sleepy head, time to make you beautiful." Deidre said.

By three o'clock everyone was assembled at the church, waiting for the bride to come down the aisle. Deidre, Rebecca, Emi and her dad all stood behind the doors.

"Okay, why am I freaking out right now?" Emi said nearly hyperventilating.

"Don't freak now Emi we got you this far." Deidre encouraged.

"This is all you Emi you can do it." Rebecca said.

As music began to play, Rebecca looked at Deidre, "That's our cue." The two gave Emi one last hug before stepping into the church to make their own way down the aisle.

Standing with just her father Emi closed her eyes. "Alright, let's do this Daddy." The doors opened and Emi looked down the aisle. She saw her two best friends beaming in their dresses, one with tears in her eyes, and then she saw Miguel, the man who was about to be her husband. She looked around the packed church at all her friends and family and knew that this was how a wedding was supposed to be.

 

Boxes and desks by carolinaheart

 

Two weeks had passed since Emi walked down the aisle, but more importantly it was the weekend that Scott and Deidre were moving into their new home. With two bedrooms and two and a half baths, it was a nice size for the both of them. The couple determined the extra bedroom would function as both an office and a guest room.

Standing in the center of the room, Hannah looked around at the boxes that contained the life of her future sister-in-law and wondered why on earth she had agreed to help them move. "I don't understand Deidre. If you don't like shopping, then where did all this stuff come from?"

“I was wondering the same thing.” Jessica said coming back into the apartment.

"When I do go shopping, I sometimes get carried away. I buy what I think I need and forget what I already have. It's a bad habit, I know. Now don't just stand there you two, grab a box to put into the car." Deidre instructed as she walked out of the door.

Hannah shook her head and grabbed the box closest to her labeled 'bedroom’ while Jessica picked up another box labeled kitchen. Outside, Hannah was greeted with the sight of her brother loading her jeep with the many boxes from Deidre's apartment. "Hey Scott."

"Hey Hannah, thanks for volunteering to help out." Scott smiled.

"Yeah well I didn't know my car would be in service too, I want gas money for this."

"Don't worry about it Hannah. When we're all done, Scott is taking you out to eat." Deidre said heading back into the building to retrieve more stuff.

Hannah smiled and set the box she was carrying down next to her brother before she went back inside.

Scott turned to Jessica who also sat a box down next to him, “why is it that I’m always being volunteered to pay for something?” Scott asked.

“Well this time it is kind of your own fault.” Jessica responded.

“In what way?”

“You should have asked your sister before loading up her car with boxes.” Jessica said.

Scot thought about it for a second and shook his head. “I don’t think so. If I were to help Hannah move, she would load my car up with her stuff too.”

“It’s not the same Scott. You’re her big brother; you’re supposed to do things like that.” Jessica laughed before walking back inside to go upstairs to Deidre’s apartment.

“I don’t think I’ll ever understand the type of logic women use.” Scott said to himself.

The next two days went pretty much the same way, with Deidre, Hannah and Jessica bringing the stuff out and Scott loading it in the car. When they completed the final task of moving and getting the stuff into the house, the four went out to eat.

“Jessica where’s your adorable daughter been the past few days?” Hannah asked.

“Rachel has been with the sitter.” Jessica said.

“Jess, do you have family that lives around here?” Scott asked. As much time as he and Deidre had spent with the young law student, he never heard her talk about any relatives.

“No. Really it’s just Rachel and me. My dad was a police officer and he died before I was born, my mom left shortly after my seventh birthday. My grandmother raised me after that, and she died while I was in college.” Jessica explained.

“Wow, I’m sorry to hear that.” Hannah said.

“Yeah, well life happens right? I’m just happy that I have the people in my life I have. If that makes any sense.”

“Yeah it makes a lot of sense.” Scott said.

“How about we talk about something else?” Jessica said.

"I have a question,” Hannah said. “So as I was looking around your new house I noticed that the furniture is all mixed up. When are you going to fix that?"

"That's next week's project." Deidre said.

"It is?" Scott asked.

"Yes it is. Scott we cannot have the house looking like that for any extended period of time. On top of that we have to get a desk and bedroom set for the guest room."

"Right."

"So whose bedroom set are you using again?" Jessica asked.

"Mine, I only bought it a year and a half ago. And it seems to work pretty well and Scott doesn’t have a problem with it.” Deidre said.

“Really, you don’t have any problem with it?” Hannah asked her brother.

“Nope, mine was old and I actually really like the furniture Deidre has.”

“So that’s one less thing you two have to buy then.” Jessica said.

After finishing their meal, Scott, Deidre, Hannah and Jessica stepped outside into the cool night air.

“Thanks for the meal you guys. I’ll call you later Deidre to talk about my options for the BAR exam.” Jessica left the group and walked off to her car.

"Thanks for dinner Scott. And I'll call you later so you can take me shopping." She smiled.

"Why am I taking you shopping again?"

"I helped you move out and in."

"I paid for your dinner!" Scott said.

"That is so not enough. Good night Deidre." Hannah wave and headed to her own car.

Scott and Deidre walked across the parking lot to their car. When they got home, they looked around the semi-furnished living room. "Well, I'm really stuck with you now." Deidre said heading up the stairs to the master bedroom.

"You don't have to say it like that Deidre. Besides, you're not completely stuck until you say I do."

"Right, I'm going to take a shower."

"How about we see if the shower is big enough for the both of us?" He said as he walked up behind her.

"I think I could work with that." Deidre smiled as she walked out of his embrace and into the bathroom.

The next Saturday Scott found himself in a furniture store, looking at desks and matching bed sets. As the man explained all the benefits of the different materials, Scott began to dose off.

"Are you paying attention?" Deidre asked as the man led them to another section of the store.

"I'm trying to, but Ralph here is so boring. What kind of person finds the difference between metal and wood fascinating?"

"And you think I'm having fun here?"

"Well yeah. Don't you women love doing this type of thing?"

Deidre rolled her eyes and left her fiancé standing by the sofas.

Finding nothing of interest at the store they were in, Scott and Deidre moved on to look somewhere else. This time in order to stay awake, and just for plain fun, Scott decided to mess with Deidre while the nice young lady showed them different pieces.

As Lesli, the nice young lady, pointed out a particular desk, Scott whispered in Deidre's ear. "You know that desk doesn't look like it is sturdy."

"What are you talking about Scott?"

"Well, how on earth are we going to christen our new furniture if it can't hold us?" Scott asked.

Deidre smirked at his comment, "Is sex the only thing you think about?"

"I'm a man."

She shook her head.

"Is this one not to your liking?" Lesli asked as she noticed Deidre's movement.

"No, not at all. Do you have anything stronger?" Scott asked.

"We have a more durable wood desk this way." Lesli lead the couple to another section of the store. "We have had a lot of people buy this desk…"

"No that one won't do either," Scott interrupted.

Lesli looked dumbfounded. "O-okay." She stuttered as they moved right along.

"What are you doing Scott?" Deidre asked.

"Trying to find the perfect desk. You see I've had this fantasy, you'd think I would have lived it out by now, that involves you me and a desk." He smirked.

Trying hard not to smile, Deidre turned around and faced him completely. Moving close to his ear Deidre whispered, "well, the fewer comments you make, the faster we can pick out a desk. And trust me, as soon as it's up, we can live out all of your dirty little fantasies okay?" She then casually walked away, while Scott once again was left standing in the aisle.

 

72, 48 by carolinaheart

 

For Deidre and Scott, Thanksgiving and Christmas were not a big deal. Their impending wedding maintained all of their attention and spare time. In fact, Scott spent Christmas Eve and Christmas day working in the hospital, taking care of patients from crazy holiday accidents. When he finally came home on Christmas day, he spent the time attempting to help Deidre with last minute preparations for the wedding.

Scott and Deidre’s family arrived in Seattle a few days before the ceremony and both the James and Simon families went straight to the resort where the ceremony was to be held. The day her family arrived, Deidre had a few loose ends to tie up at work. As soon as she was finished, she left the hospital, picked up Jessica and Rachel, then met everyone at the hotel of the resort.

Deidre and Jessica walked into the resort early in the afternoon. Jessica was pushing Rachel in a stroller, and Deidre was carrying a notebook full of personal reminders.

"Deidre over here," Beth said waving to her sister-in-law.

Deidre walked over and enveloped Beth in a hug. "Hey Beth, was your flight alright?"

"Yeah, it was peachy. Matthew slept the entire way."

“My nephew is one of those good babies isn’t he, the ones I appreciate most because they’re quiet on airplanes.” Deidre laughed. “Any way Beth this is Jessica Collins and her daughter Rachel.”

“So you’re Jessica.” Beth said. “Deidre has told me a lot about you and Rachel.”

“Really?” Jessica said.

“Yes, she’s quite proud of you, ya know.” Beth said.

Deciding it was time to change the subject, Deidre asked, "Where is my nephew?"

"With your brother in the room. I've been roaming around getting a feel for the place. It's gorgeous here."

"I know. I wanted to do a garden wedding, but its winter and Seattle doesn't have any indoor gardens. I figured here would be the next best place."

"So, is Scott taking the next few days off or what?" Beth asked.

"No, he's taking Friday and Saturday off. Tomorrow he's got a pretty big surgery during the day."

"Have you guys planned anything for us to do tomorrow?" Beth asked

"We have one of the conference rooms reserved. We're going to have a little meet and greet where our families can get to know each other." Deidre said.

"That sounds like a good idea. You need to show me the exact room where you cast off your single cape and join the ranks of married women."

“You are going to love the room Beth,” Jessica said.

"It's this way." Deidre led Beth and Jessica into an intimate room that could seat approximately fifty people. On the far side of the room were three sets of French doors that opened out onto a terrace. Beyond the terrace was an enclosed garden with winter blooming flowers.

"Believe it or not, but this is just how I imagined it." Beth said walking around the now empty room.

"It is nice." Deidre smiled.

"So what types of flowers make up your bouquet?"

"My bouquet is made up entirely of Calla Lilies. You know that was part of the way he proposed."

"I know, you've only told me a thousand times. And they're your favorite flower. I should have known." Beth smiled. "Show me which room the reception is going to be in."

"Right this way." Deidre, Beth and Jessica rode an elevator to the very top floor. The doors opened to a lavish banquet style room. There were tables set up, as well as a dance floor. The most spectacular part of the room was the view.

Beth made her way over to one of the large windows. She looked out and saw ocean waves crashing against rocks down below. "Deidre this place is amazing. How did you find it?"

"The internet contains a wealth of information. I'll have to teach you how to use it." Deidre said sarcastically.

Beth rolled her eyes.

“She used a site that listed some of the best resorts in Seattle.” Jessica explained.

"Thank you Jessica. So, Deidre tell me the set up of this room. Are the tables going to be set up exactly like this or what?"

"Well the cake is going to be on a table against the far wall. The tables will look just like they do now. We thought about getting an ice sculpture, but I think that would have been overkill. But we will have a chocolate fountain in the corner over there. It will be its own station with fruit and cakes."

"And the menu?"

"You got the invitation. It's the standard choice between chicken, steak, fish or vegetarian." Deidre and Beth got back on the elevator and took it down to the lobby.

"So when am I going to see the dress?"

"On my wedding day while you help me get ready." Deidre smiled. "Why are we down here?" She asked realizing they were back in the lobby.

"Your mom is bringing Matthew down and we are all going to get some lunch."

“That sounds nice.” Jessica said.

The three women sat in the lobby. Rachel began to squirm in the stroller that was no longer moving.

“It looks like someone is ready to get out aren’t they?” Jessica said unstrapping her daughter and sitting her on her lap.

Rachel made a few unintelligible noises and began to squirm again.

“She looks like she wants to get down.” Deidre noted.

Jessica put Rachel on the floor and she began to walk back and forth between Deidre and Jessica.

 The three of them, while keeping an eye on the mobile toddler, people watched as they waited for Deidre's mom to come down. In the middle of their conversation about the latest arrival to the resort, an old woman sporting a unique blazer and hat combination, Hannah walked in with Margot in tow.

"Deidre, Jessica hey. It's almost like you two were waiting for me." Hannah said as she walked up to the pair.

"Not exactly, we're waiting on my mom to come down. We're going to lunch."

"Hi Deidre.” Margot said.

“Hi there Margot.”

“Granma said I could call you Aunt Deidre since you're marrying Uncle Scott." Margot said after she broke free of Hannah's grasp.

"That's fine with me Margot." Deidre smiled. "Where are your brothers and your parents?"

"They're getting the stuff out of the car. Who are you?" Margot asked turning to Beth.

"My name's Beth, and I'm married to Deidre's brother, and you are?"

"My name is Margot, and this is my Aunt Hannah."

Beth stretched out her hand to shake Margot's smaller one. "Well, it's very nice to meet you Margot, and you too Hannah. I've heard so much about you"

Hannah smiled, "Thanks, I hope it was good."

After Beth stopped talking, Margot went over to Jessica. “And who are you?” The little girl asked.

“I am Jessica a friend of Deidre and your Aunt Hannah. And this is Rachel.”

“Can I play with Rachel?” Margot asked

“Sure.”

"Hannah, I thought you were going to check us in." A voice called from the door.

Hannah rolled her eyes and went toward the desk, "Well I'll see you later; my evil sister-in-law wants me to do her bidding. Come on Margot."

Deidre smirked at the comment, and Beth looked confused.

"Aunt Hannah who's your evil sister-in-law?"

"No one sweetie. Why don't we keep that our little secret?" Hannah smiled as she bent down to the young girl's level.

"Okay."

Hannah and Margot made their way over to the check-in counter as Samantha walked over to Deidre, Beth and Jessica. "Deidre, nice to see you again."

"Yeah, nice to see you too. How have you been?" Deidre tried to feign interest in the woman's life.

"I've been okay."

"Right."

"I thought Hannah was going to get us all squared away. It looks like she may need some help over there. I'll leave you to what ever it is you're doing." Sam gave a small wave and walked away.

"She did not seem too nice." Beth said.

"Nice observation. She is evil."

"She can't be that bad." Jessica said.

"Oh, trust me Jessica she is. Are either of you as hungry as I am?"

"No." Beth said.

“I’m not either.” Jessica said.

"Maybe it's just because I didn't really have breakfast. What is taking my mother so long?"

"Do you want me to go see?"

"No we can wait."

A few minutes later the elevator dinged and Nora James pushed a stroller through the doors and toward her daughter and daughter-in-law. "Sorry it took so long girls. Matthew had a dirty diaper I had to change, and then his outfit was all smelly so I had to change that to but, we are here now."

"Yes you are here now. Let's go." Deidre, Beth, Jessica and Nora left the resort in search of food.

The next evening Deidre awoke from her nap with a shadowy figure leaning over her. She opened her eyes to find Scott. "Hey, how was the surgery?"

"It went fine. How are you doing? My lovely relatives bother you much today?"

"No, Hannah's been entertaining them for the most part. Beth and I finished off the name tags for tonight." She said as she sat up and ran a hand through her hair.

"You seriously bought name tags for tonight?" Scott sat down on the edge of the bed and leaned his arm over her legs.

"Yes, I think it's important that they know each other."

"I know Deidre, but name tags feel like it's over kill."

"You would think that."

"Am I picking up the Vegas crew tomorrow morning or do we have a taxi service for them?" Scott asked.

"I think Emi said she and Miguel are going to go but they may need another car. You could send Hannah. I think she would not mind getting away from Sam."

"Three cars will be enough?"

"Yes three cars should be enough. Now move so I can go freshen up for dinner."

"Fine. You don't want to be near me, I understand."

Deidre rolled her eyes as she walked into the bathroom; "Sometimes I wonder how I got into this whole thing with you. You act like a child."

"It was a bet remember, and you lost."

She peeked out of the bathroom, "I think I'm regretting agreeing to the bet."

"No you're not. You love me." Scott said walking into the bathroom, wrapping his arms around her waist and nuzzling at her neck.

"Well when you do that you're right. I don't regret it." Deidre sighed. "As nice as that feels, we have your family and my family waiting for us downstairs in the conference room. Hannah can only do so much to keep your sister-in-law at bay."

"Did you have to remind me?"

"Yeah, I did. Let's go." Deidre pulled Scott along and the couple made their way downstairs to the conference room they reserved for the night.

Inside, both families were already mingling and entertaining pleasant conversations. Kevin and Aaron were discussing the finer points of college basketball while Michael and David discussed fly-fishing. Beth and Hannah were having an animated discussion in the corner while Jessica watched as Margot played with Matthew and Rachel. Scott's two nephews were playing video games and Sam sat by herself watching everyone else.

When Deidre and Scott walked in, Catherine and Nora both smiled and glided up to the couple. "Hi sweetheart. Deidre told me you had a surgery today how'd it go?" Catherine asked.

"It went fine mom." Scott hugged his mother before turning to Nora and embracing her as well.

"I see you two are getting along well mom." Deidre said.

"Yes dear, we are getting along just fine. I was actually wondering when I can expect grandchildren from you two." Nora smiled.

"What you're not happy with Matthew?" Deidre asked her mother.

"I love Matthew to death, but it'd be nice if I had more than one lovely grandchild."

Remembering the conversation she had with her son months ago, Catherine decided to keep her mouth shut on the topic.

"Scott and I have discussed children and we’re going to wait. And as far as children goes it’s singular, child, just one."

Catherine smiled happy that the couple was able to come to an agreement. “That’s nice.”

“Deidre, only one? Surely the two of you want more than just one child.” Nora said looking from her daughter to Scott.

Catherine patted her new friends arm lightly, “now Nora, this is what the kids have decided.”

“I know, I know. But it would be nice if they agreed upon two or three don’t you think?” Nora said as the two older women walked away.

Deidre rolled her eyes at her mother’s comment. "Well it looks like everyone is getting along fine."

"Did you have any doubt?" Scott asked.

"A little." Deidre sighed. "In forty-eight hours we will be married."

"And this whole thing will be over with."

"Thank God." Deidre said as she sat down.

"Do not act like you haven't had fun planning this." Scott accused.

"I have had a little bit of fun. But I will be glad when they go home and we go to Italy."

"We can't go now?"

"No Scott, we can't go now."

"Too bad, I guess."

 

24 and counting by carolinaheart

 

Saturday morning came all too soon for Scott and Deidre. The two were running around the resort making sure everything was finalized for their wedding that was to take place the following afternoon. Both families did their best to help out; ultimately they stayed out of the way.

By noon, Deidre had called everyone involved in providing something for her wedding except the florist. While Deidre was in the lobby on the phone with the florist, some of the final guests from out of town arrived. She ended her call and promptly went to entertain her friends.

"Wow this place is nice." Rebecca said. She was standing next to her husband, Ryan.

"Well, thanks. I'm so glad you guys could make it." Deidre said as she hugged the first of her many friends from Las Vegas.

"Yeah, well when you send us tickets with our invitations, it's kind of hard to refuse." Shri said.

"Ooh, look at that," Carson said as he walked over to something shiny.

"Carson, don't touch that," Vanessa said pulling him away from the very breakable decoration. "So you said you handled everything, including our reservations."

"Um, yeah I did. When I made your reservations I kind of forgot to get a room that had two beds for you and Carson and well…" Deidre tried to explain.

"That's okay; we can fix it now can't we?"

"Not exactly, the resort is completely booked."

"You're kidding! Who goes to a resort in the middle of winter?" Vanessa asked. Behind her, Rebecca and Shri smirked, knowing perfectly well that Deidre's little "mistake" was no mistake at all.

"Vanessa, it'll be okay. I'm sure you and Carson can behave like grownups." Rebecca smiled.

Deidre looked at the group that walked in confused. "Where's Emi?" She asked Miguel when he walked in.

"She left the video camera at home; she went to get it." Miguel explained as he pulled a suitcase behind him.

"So here are all your keys," Hannah said as she walked up to the group. While everyone else was talking, she had checked everyone in and gotten the room keys.

"Thanks." Vanessa said.

"You're welcome. Everyone is on the fourth floor." Hannah explained. All of the new arrivals made their way toward the elevator to go up to their rooms.

Later in the evening, Deidre sat in the hotel room the wedding party designated for the bride. Emi, Rebecca and Beth were in the room with her, calming her nerves for the next morning.

“I’m getting married tomorrow. God that statement sounds a little weird.” Deidre said from the large armchair.

“How are you feeling?” Beth asked.

“I’m feeling like one chapter of my life is over and a new one is starting. But I really enjoyed the chapter I just finished and I want to read it again. And at the same time, if that part of the story was so good, the next one’s got to be better right?” Deidre explained.

“Wow, you really stuck with your metaphor didn’t you.” Emi laughed.

“You know me, I like to see things through to the end.” Deidre said.

“So what is Scott doing tonight? Does he have any plans?” Rebecca asked.

“I know Kevin said something about drinks in the hotel bar.” Deidre replied.

“So no big bachelor party?” Beth asked.

“The did that last weekend right Emi.” Deidre said.

“Yes, Miguel took Scott and some of their friends out. I didn’t ask where they were going. I didn’t want to know.” Emi said. “Did Scott say anything?”

“He said they went to a movie early in the evening and then they headed out for drinks. Really it sounded more like they bar hopped all night.” Deidre said.

“That sounds very tame.” Beth said.

“Yeah, it sounds like you got the version Scott wanted you to hear.” Rebecca said.

Deidre rolled her eyes as she walked over to the mini-fridge and pulled out a bottle of water. “Anybody want one?”

The three other occupants shook their head no.

“What I want to know Deidre is why you chose a Sunday to get married on? Most weddings are on Saturdays.” Beth asked.

“I wanted to get married on New Year’s Day, end of story.”

“And Scott was okay with it?” Rebecca asked.

“Why wouldn’t he be?” Deidre asked.

“I don’t know. I was just curious.”

 “Actually,” Deidre sighed, “he did take issue with the idea of having the ceremony on a Sunday, but I truly think he just wanted to play devil’s advocate. Once I came up with the date there was no amount of reasoning that could change my mind. I think Scott heard that in my voice when I told him, so he decided to take a stance against it.” Deidre laughed.

“So how on earth did you get him to agree to January 1st then?” Beth asked.

“I had to give up something.”

“Which was?” Rebecca asked.

“I had to give up some control of the wedding planning.”

“How much control are we talking?” Emi asked.

“Scott was in charge of the music for the reception. He booked the DJ.”

“Really?” Rebecca smiled.

“He promised there would be a variety of music and it wouldn’t all be just a mix of rock and country.”

“Scott likes country music?” Beth asked.

“Some, but I really don’t mind country music that much. I just can’t take the songs that sound whiny.” Deidre said shuddering.

“What about the music for the traditional dances? You at least got a say in the song for the first dance, and the father daughter dance right?” Emi asked.

Deidre looked at her friend before biting her lip and looking away. “Nope. No say at all.”

Emi, who for her own wedding had a say in every last detail, could not believe what Deidre was saying. “Deidre, you left such an important aspect of the evening up to Scott?” Emi asked in disbelief.

“Yes, I trust Scott.” Deidre said.

“So, do you know what you’re dancing to? Did he tell you?” Beth asked.

Deidre shook her head.

“It’s going to be a surprise then.” Rebecca said.

“Yes, it is.” Deidre said. She looked over to Emi who was still sitting in shock. “Are you okay over there?”

“I just, I can’t… wow.”

“That was very unintelligible.” Rebecca said.

“Maybe we should talk about something else.” Deidre said. “Before Emi over there starts hyperventilating.”

“So you’re heading to Italy for your honeymoon right.” Beth said.

“That is correct. But we’re spending a couple of days in New York first. We leave Tuesday for New York and then Thursday morning we fly to Italy.”

“Where exactly in Italy are you going?” Emi asked having finally recovered from shock.

“We’re going to start in Milan then head down to Florence, Rome and Naples.”

“That’s quite a few places. And they’re not exactly right next to each other.” Rebecca said.

“Well, we’re spending two weeks in the country so we really wanted to see everything. And by we I mean me, I’ve been to France and Ireland but not to Italy.” Deidre said.

“What about Scott? Has he been?” Beth asked.

“Yeah, he said as a child, his step-dad took the family there every other summer. David Simon is an Italian chef.” Deidre said.

“Have you had any of his dishes?” Rebecca asked.

“No I haven’t. But we are supposed to be spending next Christmas in Connecticut with Scott’s family. He said for the Christmas holiday, the men make dinner. It’s usually Italian themed.”

“Sounds like it should be fun.” Emi said.

“I think it will be.” Deidre said.

“You know, how do you think Scott’s family would feel if we did one big Christmas holiday thing?” Beth asked.

“That’s actually not a bad idea. I’ll talk to Catherine later on and see what she thinks.”  Deidre said.

"You guys know what I think?” Rebecca asked. “I think we should get some sleep. Tomorrow is your big day Deidre, and we all have to be up in the morning to help guarantee this whole thing goes off without a hitch." Rebecca said picking up the empty plates and cups off the bed.

"Yeah tomorrow's a big day." Beth said.

"A very big day." Emi agreed.

After cleaning up the room, the four women went to sleep, anxious about what the next morning would bring.

 

Sunday Morning by carolinaheart

The sun shone into the room holding most of the female members of the bridal party. Beth was the first to wake up to the pounding on the door. She looked around for a clock to see the time. The wedding would begin in six hours and they were all still sleeping. As the obnoxious noise of someone banging on the door continued, more of the women began to wake up, including the bride.

Getting up from her place on the couch, Beth answered the door. On the other side, stood Hannah. "Morning Hannah, what’s up?"

"Morning to you too Beth. Apparently, I've become the official message person. Scott wanted to make sure you guys were up. His exact words were, 'it takes women a long time to get ready for anything, so it must take them a really long time for them to get ready for a wedding."

"Well, we're up now." Deidre said coming to the door. "Why didn't you stay in here with us last night? You're a bridesmaid."

"It’s okay I hung out with Jessica and Rachel. Besides, I didn't want to intrude or anything."

"You wouldn't have been intruding, Rebecca's not a bridesmaid and she spent the night."

"On a very uncomfortable pallet on the floor. Had I known I would have gone back to my room with my sexy quack husband." Rebecca said.

Deidre rolled her eyes, "You had fun though."

"Yeah, up until the going to sleep part." Rebecca said. "I'm going to go take a shower and get dressed. I'll be back up when I'm done to help you guys out." Rebecca left the room and made her way to her own hotel room.

"I should go too. I'll be back as soon as I finish my shower, and put on some clothes. Did you say the hairstylist and make-up artist would be here at 10?" Emi said picking up her things.

"Yes, so I want you back in here in exactly an hour, Emi. I know how you like to be late." Deidre said.

"That's thirty minuets before they're due to arrive."

"And? No excuses." Deidre called as Emi rolled her eyes and walked toward the elevator. "So it's the three of us then?" She said as she looked around.

"I'll be back in thirty minuets, I'm going to take a shower and check on Matthew. Your brother turns into a little kid himself sometimes. I'm thinking of dropping Matt off in your mother's room so she can get him dressed." Beth said.

"All right then. Thanks for staying with me last night. It was fun, and you guys helped a lot."

"No problem Deidre. Don’t worry about anything, everything is going to be just fine."

"I hope you're right Beth."

"I know I'm right. See you in a little bit." Beth waved and also disappeared down the hall.

"Are you going back to your room too?" Deidre asked.

"No, all my stuff is in here actually," Hannah smiled. "I never took it down to my room last night. Things just got so hectic."

"Okay then…” Before Deidre could finish her sentence, there was another knock on the door. She opened it. Jessica was on the other side.

“Good morning. I hope I’m not late.” Jessica said stepping into the room.

“Not at all. Beth and Rebecca just left to go get ready.” Deidre said.

“Where’s my buddy?” Hannah asked referring to Rachel.

“She is with your parents. I was going to leave her with your mom, Deidre, but she said she was going to have Matthew while we were getting ready. I didn’t want to bog her down too much. So what were you ladies about to do?”

“I was getting ready to ask Hannah if she wants to take a shower first?" Deidre said looking over to the blonde.

Hannah smiled, "Sure, I will go do that."

While Hannah was in the bathroom taking her shower, Jessica sat down and opened up Deidre’s laptop.

“What are you doing?” Deidre asked.

“I was told to play a song for you.”

“By whom?”

“Your future husband.” Jessica replied before she started the song.

Deidre smiled as she recognized the first few chords of the song ‘Sunday Morning,’ by Maroon 5. After the song finished, she picked up the phone and dialed Scott’s room number.

"Hello?" Scott said.

"Hey, did you really think it was necessary to send your sister to wake us up?”

“Knowing how long you and Beth or you and Rebecca talk on the phone, I assumed the three of you would be up late into the night talking.”

“You know me well.” Deidre said.

“Of course I do.”

“And having Jessica play the song was a sweet touch. Did you pick that one because it is Sunday Morning, or for some other reason.”

“A little bit of both. How corny would it sound if I said the song reminds me of you?” Scott asked.

Deidre laughed. “It would be very corny. Are you going to tell me what song you chose for our dance?”

“It’s a surprise. And you agreed to having it be a surprise so don’t complain.”

“I know I said I was okay with you choosing the song, but Emi got me to thinking… And now I’m worried.”

“Don’t be worried Deidre. I know how much this means to you, and it means just as much to me.” Scott said.

“Alright. How’s everything going?”

"Oh, everything's going fine. Is the entirety of your gang still there?"

"No, Emi, Beth and Becca went to their rooms. Your sister is in the shower and Jessica is sitting on the couch. She left Rachel with your mother.”

"Oh, I see. What about you? How are you doing, still want to do this thing?" Scott asked.

"I'm up to it if you are," Deidre joked.

"I'm being serious Deidre."

Deidre sighed, "I know, yes I still want to do this thing as you so eloquently put it.”

"That's what I like to hear. So in six hours, I'll get to see you all dolled up in your dress walking down the aisle?"

"Yes, only six hours away."

"I should get going then you've got a lot to do." Scott said.

"You should, especially since along with the music you are in charge of making sure everything with the resort is set up correctly." Deidre smiled.

"No worries, I plan on getting Kevin to fulfill his best man duties.” Scott laughed. “I’ll see you later. I’ll be the guy at the end of the aisle wearing a tux.”

"Aren’t Kevin, Miguel and Ben also wearing tuxedos?"

“Yeah, but they’re standing to the side of the aisle not at the end of it.” Scott explained.

“Okay, Scott.” Deidre laughed.

“I’ll talk to you later. I love you.”

“I know.”

"The correct response is that you love me too."

"Well I thought that was obvious. For who else would I have spent hours shopping, searching for the perfect dress? Listen, being even more amazing and brilliant than I am on a regular basis is hard work. You're the only person I'd ever go through this for. That is what I call love."

"Bye Deidre."

"Bye Scott." Deidre put the phone back on the hook and looked around the room. She spotted Jessica still sitting on the couch shaking her head with a huge grin on her face. A few minutes later, Hannah stepped out of the bathroom.

"I'm done. Your turn." She said as she dried her hair with the towel.

An hour after Emi and Beth had left the room; they were back with their dresses in a bag. Both had on sweat pants and t-shirts.

"Deidre, we're back thirty minuets before the people are supposed to show up and make us beautiful. Are you happy?" Emi asked as she hung her garment bag on the door.

"Yes, I'm very happy. You're never on time."

"Whatever."

The five women sat around talking, as they waited for the hair and makeup artists to arrive. In the middle of their conversation about the best place to shop for shoes in Seattle, the stylists arrived with their cases and boxes of stuff.

"Good morning Deidre, are you ready for today?" One woman asked as she began to set up a station for herself.

"I'm ready as I'm going to get Claire."

"So I brought Lisa, Ollie and Nevaeh to help with your bridesmaids’ hair. There are four of us and five of you so who wants to go last?" Claire asked.

"I think Deidre should go last so she can have the most attention. It is her day and all." Beth said.

"Okay, and you're?"

"I'm Beth, Deidre's sister-in-law. This is Emi and Jessica, friends of Deidre, and Hannah, the groom's sister."

"What about the flower girl? Are we doing anything with her hair?" Claire asked as she looked around.

"Oh, I completely forgot about Margot. I'll go get her, do you want me to bring Sam in too?" Hannah asked as she headed for the door.

"I believe you know the answer to that question already Hannah," Deidre said.

"You're right I do. I was just making sure. I'll be back in a few minutes." With that, Hannah disappeared from the room.

"So Emi is it?"

"Yes."

"Right, I will do your hair, Ollie you can do Beth's hair and Neveah you’ve got Jessica. Lisa that leaves you with Hannah and the flower girl, Margot." Claire dictated. "Let's get this show on the road."

After Hannah and Margot returned, and while they were getting their hair styled, the make-up artist showed up with his team.

"Sorry I'm late. The traffic was unbelievable." The man said as he walked into the room.

"Richie, please. It's New Year's Day. You know people are still hung-over from last night." Deidre said hugging the make-up artist.

"Yeah well, whatever. I'm here now." Richie looked around at the very active room. "This should be easy, all of you women look fabulous and you haven't even put on your dresses. There are only five of you I have to do."

"What about me? Can I wear lipstick Deidre?" Margot asked from the chair she was getting her hair done in.

"Margot, I think your mother would kill me if I allowed you to wear make up so no." Deidre said.

"Deidre I do have some clear lip gloss, that shouldn't be too bad." Riche said trying to compromise. It was obvious that Margot had been looking forward to wearing real make-up for the first time.

"It should be alright Deidre. If Sam asks, I'll tell her that I was the one who said it was okay." Hannah said.

"Fine then."

Three hours after the hairstylists arrived, everyone was finished getting their hair and make-up done. With only an hour before the wedding was supposed to start, the women were rushing trying to get dressed. After Emi, Hannah, Jessica and Beth finished putting on their midnight blue dresses, they helped Deidre into hers. The dress was fairly simple; they just wanted to make sure they did not mess up her hair and make-up as she got in it.

"So how do I look?" Deidre asked.

"Scott is gonna' die." Emi smiled at her friend.

"That's what I like to hear." As she grabbed her bouquet, there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it," Beth said. "Hi Nora."

"Hi girls, is Deidre ready?" She asked stepping into the room.

"Yes mom, I'm ready."

"You look wonderful dear but I believe you're missing something." Nora said as she handed her daughter a jewelry box.

"Mom, what's this?" Deidre asked as she opened it.

"I wore this on my wedding day. So did my mother, and your great grandmother."

Deidre looked at the strand of pearls that lay inside the box. "Mom it's beautiful."

"I never thought I was going to be able to see you wear these, and now look at you." Nora said as tears ran down her face.

"Mom, please don't cry now." Deidre hugged her mother.

"I know, I know. Your father should be up here any minute. My baby, all grown up." Nora patted Deidre's face.

"Okay mom."

"It's two we should get down stairs," Michael said walking into the room. He smiled at his daughter, "Ready Deidre?"

"Why does everyone keep asking me that question? Yes I'm ready."

Everyone left and made their way downstairs.

 

End Notes:

So there is a possibility that me posting like a maniac will slow down. I'm getting close to where I originally ended the story, but I'm adding a few extra chapters so those have to be written completely from scratch.

Without a Hitch by carolinaheart

 

From the end of the aisle, Scott could see all of his close friends and family. His mother sat on the front row with tears streaking her face; he smiled at her. As the string quartet began to play Pachelbel's Canon, Scott looked down the aisle. The first person to come down was his sister, she had her blonde hair pulled up and she wore a strapless midnight blue dress that stopped just above the knees. Following her was Jessica whose dress was identical to Hannah’s. Beth was next in the procession her dress, also strapless, was floor length. Emi was the last of the bridesmaids to come down the aisle, her dress was similar to Beth’s but instead of being strapless, it wrapped around one shoulder.

The entire audience awed as Scott's niece, Margot, made her way down the aisle. Walking slowly she picked one pedal from her basket and let it float onto the ground in front of her. When she reached the end she looked down into her basket and dumped the rest. She sweetly looked up to Scott and gave him a toothy smile before walking over to stand with the bridesmaids.

While her friends and her future niece walked down the aisle, Deidre stood behind the doors waiting with her father. She held on tightly to his arm and tried to calm her racing heart.

“Baby girl are you going to be okay?” Michael asked his daughter

“Yes I’m fine. I’m going to be fine.” Deidre said more to herself than answering her father’s question.

“Deidre, I know you’re going to be fine, but what about right now. Do you need to go outside for a quick breath of fresh air? Because we can make them wait a minute.” Michael said.

“Daddy, my bridesmaids have gone down the aisle already. I don’t have time for a quick ‘breath of fresh air.’” Deidre said.

“I’m just checking Deidre.” Michael said.

The doors began to open and Deidre gasped. The room was set up perfectly. Scott stood at the end of the aisle in front of a large window that looked out onto the resort’s gardens. Deidre and Scott’s friends and family sat in white chairs. At the end of every two rows, there was a small bouquet of flowers tied to the chairs.

Scott watched as his bride walked down the aisle with her father. He could not find the perfect word to describe how Deidre looked; stunning simply was not enough. To be honest, Scott did not think a word existed that could fully capture the image of Deidre walking down the aisle toward him. Her gown was ivory with ivory colored lace. Most of the patterns on the lace were ivory as well, but a few were silver. The dress was form fitting at the top and starting at mid-thigh it slightly flared away from Deidre’s body.  Around her waist she wore a midnight blue sash accented by an ivory lace flower. The chapel train dragged gracefully behind Deidre as she walked. Deidre's hair was curled tight enough that it barely touched her shoulders but loose enough that the curls did not look hard. The pearls from her mother graced Deidre’s neck and matched the simple pearl and diamond earrings she wore.

Deidre wore a huge smile as she lightly squeezed her father's arm. When they reached Scott, Michael gave his daughter a kiss on the cheek before placing her hand in Scott’s.

"Good afternoon everyone. Today we come to celebrate the union of Scott and Deidre." The officiator said as she looked around. "Marriage is a special institution, consented to by both individuals. In that spirit, Scott and Deidre have written their own vows." She nodded her head to Deidre.

"Scott Walker," Deidre smiled. "I didn't mean to fall for you. I was adamantly against it, but I guess my heart had other plans. You're arrogant, and you know how to get under my skin, but I love you and I wouldn’t want it any other way. You call me on my mistakes, and you support me with everything I do. No one else has ever made me feel the way you do, and on top of it all you're my best friend. There's no one I'd rather spend the rest of my life with than you. So, I promise to be there for you when you know you need me and when you think you don’t. I will stand with you and for you because I love you." She slid the band onto Scott's finger.

"Deidre, you changed me for the better, ask anyone here. You're talented and witty, and you keep me on my toes. You recognize that I have a past, but you looked beyond that to love me. I pursued you in search of a challenge, instead I found a woman who understands me better than anyone I've ever known, or ever will know. I will love you when we’re happy, when we’re sad. And when you’re upset or disappointed I’ll be there for you." Scott said sliding the ring onto Deidre's finger.

"Scott, Deidre,” said the officiator, “I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

"Keep it G-rated you two." Rebecca called.

Deidre rolled her eyes and Scott laughed as he bent down to kiss his wife.

"May your life together be even more beautiful than today’s events." The officiator said to the couple. Turning to the audience and holding her arms out in front of her she said, “ladies and gentlemen I present to you as husband and wife Deidre and Scott.”

Deidre took her bouquet from Beth, and she and Scott walked back down the aisle. After the ceremony, Scott and Deidre remained to take pictures while everyone else went up to the reception area.

"That was easy," Scott said as the photographer positioned them.

"That’s what you think. You look very handsome."

"Thank you." Scott smiled. He looked Deidre up and down before leaning closer to her ear. “You look…wow is all I can say. If we didn’t have close to fifty of our relatives and closest friends waiting for us, I’d take you up stairs and get you out of that dress your wearing.” He whispered.

Deidre grinned widely and laughed just as the photographer caught the moment on film.

 “Just hold tight there Scott. You’ll get your chance.” Deidre said.

After Deidre and Scott finished with the pictures, they made their entrance at the reception and then sat down to eat.

“About the music Scott.” Deidre said.

“What about the music?”

“I know I said I wouldn’t ask. But I’m dying here. Can you please tell me what song is going to be played for our first dance?” Deidre begged.

Scott laughed. “You said I could do this, so I’m keeping it a surprise. You’ll just have to wait. I will tell you that I asked your father to choose the song for his dance with you.”

“Can you at least tell me what he chose?” Deidre asked.

“If I tell you, will you stop asking about my song choice?” Scott asked.

Deidre smiled. “Yes.”

“Stevie Wonder ’My Cherie Amore.’ “

Deidre laughed. “That song came out the year I was born. My dad wanted to name me Cherie Amore, but Nora James was having none of that. My mother put her foot down on the issue.”

“Then I guess you approve?” Scott questioned.

“Yes, I approve.” Deidre said.

There was the screeching sound of a chair moving as Beth stood up. “Excuse me, everyone. Hello!” She said trying to get the room’s attention.” Beth looked over to the bride and groom. "So, Scott you've married my sister-in-law. She's the closest thing I have to a sister so if you screw up expect three deaths instead of just the two you'll receive from Michael and my husband. But seriously, the first time Deidre mentioned you almost two years ago when we were talking on the phone, I knew you were the one. That call came after her second encounter with you. She was frustrated and annoyed by your arrogance and your pursuit of her. I thought gee perfect for Deidre. The first time I met you I thought, man candy and heartbreaker. But it was obvious from the way you interacted with Deidre that you were in it for the long hall, whether Deidre liked it or not. So today, on the occasion of your wedding, I wish nothing but the best of luck, 'cause you'll need it when dealing with one of my closest friends and stubborn sister-in-law. Welcome to the family Scott."

Scott nodded his head and smiled while everyone applauded, “Thank you Beth.”

"My turn.” Kevin said standing up. “I remember way back when… Let me stop. Scott I was honored when you asked me to be your best man. For the longest time, I had no idea what I would say. I could talk about your past, and how much of a troublemaker you were growing up and in college, but that didn't seem right for this occasion. So I guess I'll give you advice. Number one, your wife is always right. No matter what Deidre says or does she is always right. Which leads to rule number two: your wife is never wrong. It goes well with number one. For further guidance, when in trouble say I'm sorry, even if you don't know what you did because according to rules number one and two Deidre will always be right. Deidre, if he ever gets out of line and forget these rules, let me know. I'll set him straight. To Deidre and Scott." Kevin raised his glass and the rest of the room followed suite.

Following the toast, Scott and Deidre cut the cake, which went fairly well. Only a few crumbs ended up in Scott's hair and only a small amount of icing found it's way to Deidre's nose, forehead and somehow her shoulder. After the fiasco of a cake cutting, it was time to dance.

“Ladies and gentleman. Please welcome to the dance floor the newly weds, Dr. Scott Walker and Mrs. Deidre James Walker as they dance for the first time as husband and wife.”

Scott took Deidre’s hand and the two walked out onto the dance floor. As the first few notes of the song played Deidre smiled. “Elvis.” Deidre said.

“I like Elvis.” Scott said.

The couple moved slowly across the dance floor along to Elvis Presley crooning “Can’t Help Falling in Love.”

“Yeah, I know.” Deidre laughed.

“You have to admit, I chose well.” Scott said.

“Yes, you chose well. I wouldn’t have picked this song, but it’s perfect.” Deidre smiled.

 

Rachel by carolinaheart

 

After sitting in traffic for what felt like hours, Deidre and Scott pulled onto a grassy drive. The car stopped in the yard of a modest two-story house. Scott looked around at the lush greenery and the beach.

"This is nice,"

"I know. It was a long drive with the traffic and, I'm going to go to the bathroom. You can just look around if you'd like. Get acquainted." Deidre unbuckled her seat belt and got out of the car.

Scott continued to look around after she had disappeared into the house. After a few minuets, he got out of the car and walked around. The cool breeze from the water felt good. Down the beach he saw children playing in the sand. In the yard, he spied a wood swing that hung from a tree. He did not know how long he was outside before Deidre came back.

"Are you going to come in or do you want me to pitch a tent?" Deidre asked from the stoop.

"You know how to pitch a tent?" Scott asked amused as he walked over to where she stood.

"I've pitched a tent or two. We usually do it in the summer on the beach. It's really nice out here; provides contrast to the city."

Scott nodded his head. "So, this house is ours?"

"Yeah, it's ours we bought it a couple of years ago. It's our escape, although sometimes your sister tags along."

"She would. So are you going to give me a tour?" Scott asked as he did an initial look around.

"I was actually going to cut up some fruit and vegetables before Hannah gets here. I'm sure you know how to make yourself at home." Deidre left Scott to his own devices.

He stepped into what he guessed was a living area. There was a nice fireplace with pictures on the mantle. In the center was a photo from their wedding. Next to it was another picture of Scott and a little girl who was around the age of six or seven. It definitely was not his niece. The little girl in the picture was of African American decent. She had a massive amount of curly dark hair and very brown, almost black eyes. The two of them were standing with what looked like a rope tied around their ankles. In the background was a large sign that read Cresthill Academy Father-Daughter Day. Scott picked up the picture and stared at it confused. He walked into the kitchen where Deidre was standing at the island counter-top cutting up a pear.

"What's this?" Scott asked handing the framed picture to Deidre.

Deidre smiled, "It’s a picture of you and Rachel. That was taken a few weeks ago." She said as she went back to cutting up fruit. “You guys won the three legged race. She was so excited.”

“Rachel, as in Jessica’s daughter?” Scott asked trying to make sure he got it right.

“Yeah.”

“Do I usually go to her father-daughter events? I mean kids must ask questions.” Scott said sitting down.

“Yes you usually go to the father-daughter events with Rachel and kids do ask questions. But not about this,” Deidre said. She stopped what she was doing and looked up. There was a sad almost haunted look in her eyes. “We adopted Rachel the same year we got married.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a typical August Friday night for Deidre and Scott. Since the wedding, things were going well for the couple despite their increasingly busy work schedules. They even adopted a puppy from the animal shelter. Bear was an energetic black lab mix that could not sit still if his life depended on it.

While Scott was out walking Bear, Deidre sat on the sofa flipping through channels in search of decent television programming. The doorbell rang, and she stood up from where she was sitting to answer it.

“Good evening.” Jessica said with a smile on her face.

“DeDe!” Rachel said launching her body at Deidre’s legs.

“Well, hi there Rachel. Ready for a fun night in?” Deidre asked squatting down to the two-year-old’s level.

Rachel giggled and then squeezed by Deidre and ran into the house and disappeared into the back.

“Rachel no running inside.” Jessica called as she too entered the house.

“So, are you ready for your date?” Deidre asked after standing up and locking the door.

Rachel parked herself on the floor in front of coffee table. She pulled one of the many magazines toward her and began flipping through it.

“Nowhere near ready. But I think this one might actually work out, Deidre.” Jessica said.

Before Deidre could respond, Rachel came back into the room. She went to Deidre and gave her a sad confused look, “where Bear?” Rachel asked.

“Your Uncle Scott took Bear out for a walk. They should be back in a little while. Why don’t you color something from your book.” Deidre suggested.

Rachel pouted before climbing on the couch to sit between her mother and Deidre. “Oh. Want Bear.” Rachel said.

“I know but you have to wait.” Deidre said.

Rachel turned to Jessica and smiled, “Call Bear.” She suggested.

Jessica laughed and shook her head. “No Rachel, Bear doesn’t have a phone. Bear also has to learn how to go potty outside. So Uncle Scott can’t bring him back until he’s gone to the potty.”

“Make poop outsi’?” Rachel asked.

“Yes he goes to poop outside.” Jessica said.

Not able to sit still for long, Rachel wiggled out from between the two women and landed on the floor. She walked over to her backpack, sat down next to it and began to pull out all of its contents.

“Ever since you and Scott got that dog, Rachel has been asking to come over to see Bear.” Jessica said.

“You know, you guys are always welcome here.” Deidre smiled. “So about your date. Where did you meet him?”

“I met him on a dating site. We’ve been emailing each other for about a month. I’ve just been too busy with my new job to try and meet up with him. I finally got some time, so we are going out to The Elephant Tavern. There is a jazz band playing tonight. It starts at eight so I need to be going.”

“Yeah, you really should be heading out.” Deidre said as she and Jessica stood up and began walking to the door.

“Ray, come give mommy a big hug and kiss before I go.” Jessica said.

“Otay,” said Rachel getting up from her position on the floor.

Jessica bent down and picked up her little girl. “Hugs.” Jessica said as she lightly squeezed her daughter. Rachel giggled at the action. “And kisses.” Jessica kissed both of Rachel’s cheeks.

“Kisses,” said Rachel taking her mother’s face in to her hand and touching her lips to each cheek.

Jessica put Rachel back on the floor, and the toddler went to sit down by her bag.

“Alright I’m leaving now.” Jessica said.

“Okay, have fun, and we’ll see you tomorrow afternoon?”

“Yes.  I will be by tomorrow afternoon, that way I can run a few errands before I get here.” Jessica waved and then walked down the drive.

After closing the door, Deidre joined Rachel on the floor where she was pulling the clothes off of her dolls.

“Little munchkin, what are you doing?” Deidre asked.

Rachel shrugged her shoulders and handed Deidre one of the soft dolls. “Pawly, play.” Rachel instructed.

Deidre took the naked doll and raised her eyebrows. “Okay.”

“I has Mo.”

The door to the house opened and Rachel turned her head. Bear, the puppy, bounded inside and headed straight for Deidre and Rachel. Rachel squealed in delight as the puppy licked her face. Scott followed the dog inside.

“Good evening ladies.” Scott said heading toward the back to put up the leash.

“Hey, how’d he do?” Deidre asked as she rubbed the dog’s head.

“He was fine; although, he did try to take on a couple of dogs nearly twice his size.” Scott called as he was coming back to the front of the house. When he came back into the living room Scott turned to Rachel. “Do I not get a hug Ray?”

Rachel shook her head and giggled. “No hugs.”

“What?!” Scott said. “No hugs?!” Scott picked Rachel up and playfully flipped her around, “no hugs you say?”

Rachel laughed and tried to shake her head, “No hugs! No hugs!”

The puppy began to bark and jump at Scott’s legs. “Put Rachel down before Bear tries to attack you.” Deidre instructed.

Scott stopped what he was doing and held Rachel in the air. “But she said no hugs. And I want my hug!” Scott said.

Deidre tilted her head to the side and tried her best to hold a straight face. Scott was really good with Rachel; he was good with kids in general. Despite her original desire to not have kids, Deidre was slowly beginning to look forward to parenting with Scott.

Scott put Rachel on the floor where she went back to playing with her dolls.

The next morning, Scott woke up to sounds of someone cooking in the kitchen. What he found, when explored further, was Deidre at the counter with Rachel dressed in her pajamas standing on a chair. There was a bowl in front of Rachel, and she had a spoon with what looked like pancake or waffle mix in her hand.

“Rachel, put the spoon back in the bowl.” Deidre said.

Rachel shook her head and jumped up and down. Some of the mix came off of the spoon and landed on Rachel’s pajama top.

“Uh-oh!” Rachel said.

“Uh-oh is right. Now, give me the spoon.”

Scott laughed as he walked into the kitchen. “What are you making there Ray?” Scott asked the toddler.

Rachel smiled. “Wapples.” She said proudly.

“Oh.” Scott sat down at the counter in the empty chair.

“So now it’s okay to stand on the furniture.” Scott said to Deidre.

“When you’re two and you want to help make breakfast, you can stand on the furniture.” Deidre said.

“I see, we have a double standard in this house.” 

“Yes we do. Do you have a problem with that?” Deidre asked jokingly.

“No I don’t. When is Jessica coming by?” Scott asked as he pulled Rachel down toward him. She laughed and struggled to try and get away.

“She said she had a few errands to run before she came for Rachel.” Deidre explained.

“I see so what…” Before Scott could finish the question, the phone rang.

Scott placed Rachel in a sitting position on the chair before he walked into the living room to answer the phone. Unhappy with where she was now sitting, Rachel looked to Deidre, “Down. Get down!” Rachel said as she wiggled to the edge of the high stool.

“Okay, I’m coming.” Deidre said walking around to let Rachel down.

Deidre walked out of the kitchen with Rachel following closely on her heels. When she reached the living room, Scott was ending the call and placing the cordless phone back into its cradle. The look on his face was not comforting, and she could feel a change in the atmosphere. “Who was that?”  Deidre asked.

Scott looked up. This was the type of news he did not want to break to his wife. “Ray why don’t you go in the back and color in the office.” Scott suggested. “Come on.”

Rachel looked between the two adults and she could tell something was wrong. She did not like it. “Otay.” She said quietly grabbing Scott’s outstretched hand. The two walked into the back.

When Scott returned, Deidre was sitting on the couch. “What’s going on Scott?”

Scott sat down next to her and took a deep breath. “That was the Medical Examiner. There was an accident late last night and Jessica was in it. Deidre, she died.” Scott explained. He took Deidre’s hand in his and squeezed.

“What, no. No.” Deidre said trying not to cry. She stood up and began to pace back and forth. “She’s been through too damn much for her to die in a car accident at the age of 25. Jessica is a survivor. They have it wrong.” Deidre said. “They, they got the wrong person.”

Scott stood up and pulled his wife into a hug and held her as she cried on his shoulder. Over the past two and a half years, he watched Jessica and Deidre become close friends, almost like sisters.

“What about Rachel?” Deidre said pulling away slightly. “How do we tell a two-year-old that the one person she loves most in this world is never coming back?”

Rachel chose that moment to make an appearance. “Wan’ wapples. Where wapples?” Rachel asked. She looked up at the two adults who were in obvious distress. “Why you cry?”

Deidre took a deep breath and sat down on the couch. “Because I’m sad. Can you come here and give me a big hug?”

Rachel nodded her head and ran over to Deidre. Deidre picked up the toddler and held her close for a minute before loosening her grip. Rachel touched Deidre’s tears with her fingers. “Why sad?” Rachel asked.

Deidre began one of the hardest conversations she would ever have with a two-year-old. “Rachel your mommy loved you very, very much.”

A week later, after the funeral, Deidre, Scott and Rachel sat in the law office where Jessica used to work. They were waiting for Jessica’s attorney to come in so they could wrap up any loose ends. When she walked in, she had a folder in her hand. She looked at the couple sitting at the table. Rachel sat asleep in Scott's lap, the side of her head on his chest and Deidre held onto his hand—afraid to let go.

“I can’t believe Jessica is gone. She was here just last week in my office working on her first pro bono case. Jess was so excited. She had a very promising career ahead of her and so much life. We’re going to miss her here at the firm.” Jenna, the lawyer started.

“Neither can I.” Deidre said. “I knew her over two years and every time I talked with her, it was hard for me to believe how incredible of a young woman she is, or was.” Deidre said.

“Well, as apart of the company policy, we have every new associate draw up their own will. We guide them through the process. We do this in part as a teaching moment. It allows them to be more empathetic during the process when they go through it with a client. And we also do this because life is crazy and short and unpredictable. I have to say though; this is my first time executing the will of one of my junior associates. With that said, I’m assuming the two of you already know she has left custody of Rachel to you. You guys are her guardians.”

“Yeah, we know. Jess talked to me when she was going through the process and trying to figure things out. I assured her that if anything did ever happen to her, Deidre and I would be there for Rachel.” Scott said.

Deidre nodded her head in agreement recalling the conversation she, Jessica and Scott had over dinner a few weeks earlier.

“That’s good to hear. As with any mother Rachel was Jessica’s number one concern. Growing up without a traditional family, made her want just that for Rachel if something ever happened to her. Which is why I’m wondering if she ever specifically told you that she would prefer it if the two of you went through the process of adopting Rachel. A lot of times in this type of situation, when the child is so young and the legal guardians are not family members, the new caretakers adopt the child.”

“Is that necessary?” Deidre asked confused.

“It is not necessary no, but it is what Jessica wanted.” Jenna explained.

Deidre looked over to Rachel and smoothed a few strands of hair out of her face. “I don’t want to replace Jessica as Rachel’s mom.” Deidre said looking up. “I could never live up to that.”

“Don’t think about it as replacing Jessica, but rather providing Rachel with a stable family that is as close to normal as possible, a family with two parents. This way when she is older, she won’t have to explain to the other kids why she calls you Aunt DeDe and Uncle Scott. You’ll be here parents; her mom and dad.”

Scott looked at his wife. He knew her doubts about becoming a parent and this issue was something they were not even going to face for another few months. They had decided to talk about it after their first anniversary. But life has a way of screwing with your plans. “Deidre.” Scott said trying to get her attention. She had drifted off into her own world in the past few minutes. Deidre turned and faced her husband. “We can do this. You can do this, for Rachel.”

Deidre nodded her head.  “Can we start the process now or is there something else we need to do?” Deidre asked.

“I actually have the paperwork here. I pulled it out after I heard about Jessica’s passing.” Jenna said pulling papers out of the file.

Scott squeezed Deidre’s hand in support. There was never any doubt in his mind that she would step up to the plate.

 

End Notes:

Don't hate me but this was going to happen from the begining. 

Family Christmas by carolinaheart

 

By December, Scott, Deidre and Rachel were into a routine. Scott and Deidre rearranged their lives, and made a more permanent place for Rachel in it. Decorated in shades of green and yellow, the guest room was now Rachel’s sanctuary. Most of the office furniture was moved, and they completely got rid of the bed. I

While Rachel played on the carpet in the living room, Deidre was sitting crossed-legged on the floor in front of the coffee table going over a list. In the background the television was tuned to ABCFamily Channel where they were playing the Claymation version of “Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer.” Neither of the two females was paying attention to what was going on in the program.  Rachel was fully engrossed with her dolls pulling off all of their clothes and placing them on a sleeping Bear, who happened not to notice a thing. Deidre was wrapped up in creating a to-do list of things that she needed to take care of before her relatives arrived.

Scott, after being on call all weekend, walked into the house with a gym bag and groceries. Surprisingly, the dog was the first to notice Scott’s entrance. Bear stood up from his sprawled out position causing all of Rachel’s dolls to fall off of his back.

“Bad Bear!” Rachel admonished as the puppy walked over to Scott in hopes of a treat.

Deidre looked up to see what caused Rachel’s reaction. She watched as Bear went to the door to greet Scott. “Hey, how was work?” She asked.

“It was fine. Only a couple of surgeries today.” Scott said bending down to rub Bear’s head.

Rachel jumped up from her seated position and ran to the door. “Daddy!” She yelled.

Scott put the bags he was carrying on the ground, and easily picked up the two-year-old and swung her in the air. “Hey there Ray. What were you doing to Bear?” He asked

“I play wif ‘im.” Rachel replied.

“Really?” Scott said walking over to the couch.

Rachel nodded her head.

“So Bear likes it when there are a bunch of dolls on his back?” Scott asked.

Rachel giggled and nodded her head again.

While the two were bonding, Deidre picked up the bags of grocery Scott left by the door and headed to the kitchen. “You probably should have waited before you stopped by the store.” She said from the kitchen.

With Rachel in his arms, he walked back to see what his wife was talking about. “Why do you say that?”

“Because we have to go back again tomorrow to get everything on the list.” Deidre explained putting things into the refrigerator. “I still cannot believe we not only agreed to, but also somehow convinced both of our families to come here for Christmas. We do not have enough room for everyone.”

“Deidre they’re all staying in a hotel, so that’s not a problem.”

“I know but I absolutely hate that they have to. Our next house is going to be bigger.” Deidre said.

“Of course it is babe.” Scott sat down and held Rachel in his lap, who was reaching for the plastic bags to pull apart.

“I’m talking at least four bedrooms and an office. We have to have more than one guest room. I feel awful that our parents have to stay in a hotel, not so much about your sister-in-law though. She could stay in Timbuktu for all I care.”

“First of all, she’s your sister-in-law too, and second of all that was not nice, was it Rachel.”

Rachel shook her head. “Not nice mommy.” Rachel said, even though she had no clue what the two adults were talking about.

Deidre turned around and put her hands on the counter. She looked at Scott and Rachel and she couldn’t help but smile. “Really Rachel, I wasn’t being nice?” She asked the toddler.

Rachel emphatically shook her head. “No. Not nice mommy.” Rachel repeated before becoming preoccupied by the plastic bag in front of her again.

Deidre looked back to Scott, “I just don’t understand why she is such a... I don’t want to say the word in front of Rachel, but you know what I mean.”

Scott laughed. “Yeah I know what you mean. I really don’t know.  Every time I talk to Kevin about it, he says she’s not really like that.”

“So she’s somehow a completely different person when we’re not around?” Deidre asked.

“Apparently.” Scott said.

Deidre looked at the clock on the oven and then over to Rachel who was lying back on Scott’s chest. She looked like she was about to fall asleep. “Okay munchkin,” Deidre said. “Bath time and then bed time. Let’s go.”

“No!” Rachel said.

“Yes ma’am. It’s time for your bath Rachel.” Deidre said walking around the counter.

Rachel held on to Scott’s shirt, “No bath; no bed!”

“Rachel after you take a bath, how about I read you two bedtime stories.” Scott said.

“Two?” Rachel asked not quite ready to admit defeat.

“Yes two. Can you show me how many is two?”

Rachel thought about it and then held up two fingers. “Very good, now go with mommy.” Scott instructed.

Rachel sighed before allowing Deidre to pick her up.

After Scott read Rachel to sleep, and Deidre put Bear in the laundry room where he slept on his doggy bed, Scott and Deidre were in their room getting ready for bed.

“How is it that I always end up the bad guy?” Deidre asked after she brushed her teeth.

Scott was in bed already and smiled. “I just can’t say no to that face. I mean have you seen the face it’s so hard to resist.”

“I think she likes you more than me.” Deidre said joining Scott in bed.

“Deidre, you’re not serious are you?”

Deidre gave him an uncertain look.

“Deidre, Rachel adores you. I see it everyday in the way she follows you around and the way she tries to mimic your behavior. Sometimes while your working on a case at home, Rachel will run to her room and grab her folder from daycare and pretend it’s a manila folder like yours. You may not see it, but I do. You’re good with her and you love her. And that’s all that really matters.”

Deidre snuggled up to Scott and buried her head in his chest. “You always know how to make me feel better.”

“I just don’t understand why you doubt yourself so much.”

“I don’t want to screw this up. She’s a person, a little tiny person with her whole life ahead of her. I don’t … you know me, I like to be in control and there’s so much about being a parent that I can’t control and it terrifies me.”

“You have got to let some of that stuff go Deidre. You cannot worry about every bad thing that might happen to her. We can’t shelter her. Bad things will happen that we can’t prevent. But she’ll grow and learn from them.” Scott said.

“You’re right.”

“I know I’m right. Generally, I am right.” Scott laughed.

Deidre smiled and shook her head before turning around to go to sleep.

Over the next few days, with the help of Hannah, Scott and Deidre prepared for the arrival of their holiday guests. The Christmas countdown was at three days, and everyone’s flights were due to land at some time during the day. Each family unit agreed to rent a car, enabling them to have some autonomy while they were visiting.

Rachel was sitting at the kitchen table coloring while Scott was putting away dishes from breakfast. Deidre walked in with her purse and jacket in her hands. “So,” she said getting Scott’s attention. “My parents, Aaron and Beth are the first ones to get in right?”

“Yeah, I talked to your mother while you were in the shower. She wanted to make sure they had the address right for when they get the rental. They plan on checking into the hotel first and then coming by the house. I think as long as you’re back by lunch you should be able to meet them when they come over.” Scott said.

“Right and your family, they arrive when?” Deidre asked putting on her jacket.

“I’m pretty sure mom coordinated their flight with Kevin so they should all arrive around mid-afternoon. They are going to be exhausted though. “

“I bet. Your parent’s flight is what ten hours long?” Deidre asked.

“Yeah, something like that. Are you taking Rachel?” Scott asked.

Rachel looked up from her coloring book after hearing her name.

“I don’t know. Does Rachel want to come with me?” Deidre asked the little girl.

Rachel tilted her head to the side and thought for a minute before nodding her head emphatically. “I go!” Rachel said hopping off of the chair.

“Alright then let’s go get your shoes and jacket, then we can go.”

Deidre stayed out much later than she anticipated. By the time she and Rachel arrived back at home, Rachel was fast asleep in her car seat.  Parked in her driveway were three cars with out of state tags. Instead of pulling into the drive, Deidre parked on the street.

Carrying a sleeping Rachel, Deidre walked into her very active home.  All of the men, Kevin’s two boys and Margot were in the living room watching highlights from previous year’s Christmas football game. Deidre was almost able to make it into the house unnoticed. However, the ever-observant Margot called her out.

“Hi Aunt Deidre!” Margot said getting up from where she was sitting in between her brothers.

“Hi Margot. Can you give me a minute? I need to put Rachel in her bed okay.” Deidre said as she continued to walk toward the back.

“Okay.” Margot followed Deidre to Rachel’s room.

After putting Rachel down, Deidre came back out to properly greet her guest.

“Hey guys.” Deidre said greeting everyone sitting in her living room.

“Hey D. Mom, Beth and the rest of the ladies are all in the kitchen. I think they’re discussing Christmas dinner.” Aaron said taking a sip of his beer.

“I don’t think they’re planning Christmas dinner.” Deidre said.

“Why not?” Aaron asked.

“Because I’m cooking and you guys are going to help.” David said.

“Wait a minute. Dad and I usually cook Christmas breakfast not Christmas dinner.” Aaron protested.

“In our family, we usually have an Italian feast.” Scott explained.

“Yes, Italian is my specialty.” David said.

“So what, Deidre? Our family traditions go out the window?” Aaron asked.

“I have no objections to you men cooking breakfast too.” Deidre smiled.

“Dad?” Aaron said turning to Michael.

“I think it sounds like a good idea, son. We’ll show David, Kevin and the boys how breakfast is done in the James household on Christmas morning.”

“That means you guys are going to have to be back over here bright and early.” Deidre explained.

Aaron turned to his brother-in-law who remained quiet on the subject. “Scott, what do you have to say about all of this?”

“I don’t have a problem with it. It seems like a good plan to me.” Scott said.

“You can’t be serious?” Aaron said.

“Hey before you get too deep into this conversation and try to weasel yourself out of this Aaron, I need you guys to bring the groceries in from my car.” Deidre instructed.

“We’ll take care of it.” Scott said standing up from his seated position on the couch.

Deidre left the men and went in search of her mom, mother-in-law and three sister-in-laws. She found the five women in the kitchen drinking coffee.

“Hi ladies.” Deidre said as she sat down at the table.

“Well, it’s nice of you to join us.” Sam said.

“It’s nice to see you too Sam.” Deidre said.

“Hey Deidre! I still can’t believe it’s been a year since I saw you last.” Beth said embracing Deidre.

“I know. A lot has happened since then.” Deidre said.

“Yeah it has.” Beth smiled.

“Hi mom.” Deidre said as she hugged her mother as well.

“Hi sweetheart. Where is Rachel?”

“She is napping. I wore the poor girl out. We were only supposed to be out until lunch, but I could not find all of the things on my list at one store. I ended up at several. This is the last time I’m hosting a holiday.” Deidre explained.

“It’s not so easy to pull off now is it?” Catherine asked bouncing Matthew, Aaron and Beth’s one-year-old, on her lap.

“No it’s not. How was your flight?” Deidre directed the question to her mother-in-law.

“Long, very very long. I wish the four of you lived closer. That way I could visit you guys more often.” Catherine said.

“Mom that’s the reason Scott and I moved out here. Didn’t we tell you?” Hannah joked.

Catherine shook her head at her daughter and smiled. At that moment, the men began bringing the groceries into the kitchen.

“I think we should let them bring everything in first, and then we can put it up.” Beth suggested as she watched each male, including the boys, carry in bags.

“I think that’s a good idea.” Deidre said.

The women made their way into the living room and occupied the now vacant seats. Hannah changed the channel to less testosterone fueled programming. While they were waiting for the men to finish bringing in the groceries, Rachel woke up and came out of her room. She was startled by all of the unfamiliar faces in her house. Catherine, who was sitting in an armchair facing the back hallway, was the first to notice the two-year-old hugging the frame of the doorway.

“Well look who woke up from her nap.” Catherine said.

Deidre turned her head to look at Rachel. Seeing her mother, Rachel ran around the couch and hoped onto Deidre’s lap. She buried her head in Deidre’s chest so the only visible part of her body was her back and her head of massively curly hair.

During the days leading up to Christmas, Rachel slowly came out of her shell. She became more comfortable with the people around her and she had even begun to follow Margot around. Margot, of course, loved the attention.

After Christmas dinner, Deidre and Beth volunteered to clean up the mess.

“I think this turned out very well Deidre.” Beth said.

“I think so too. I’m glad I didn’t have to cook though.”

“Me and you both.” Beth laughed. “So, it’ll be a year for you and Scott in a few days. Tell me how it’s really going.” She prodded.

Deidre stopped washing the dish she had in her hand and looked at her sister-in-law. “Things rarely go as planned.” Deidre smiled.

“I’ll say. When you called and told me about Jessica I was devastated.”

“Yeah, but things seem to be working out well with Rachel. Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if Jessica was alive; if she were here to raise Rachel. What would Rachel be like? What would my relationship with Scott look like?”

“It’s not bad is it?” Beth asked.

“Dear god no!’ Deidre exclaimed. “Things are good with us, very good. I just imagine we would be in a different place if our lives hadn’t changed so much with the addition of Rachel. “

“I know you told me that after a year you and Scott would discuss having a child. Is that still on the table now that you have Rachel?” Beth asked curious.

“I haven’t really put much thought into it. On that front, I’ve been so consumed with just making sure Rachel is okay. It’s hard to know how a toddler takes the death of the one person who’s been there for them from the very beginning.”

“She seems to be doing well.”

“She is. She’s adjusted very well.”

“So, are you at leas open to the idea of having another child; of bringing life into this world.” Beth asked.

Deidre shook her head at Beth’s dramatization of the concept. “I’m not opposed to the idea. I’m just not sure how soon that would be. We have yet to discuss the topic at length. What about you and Aaron? Any more for the two of you?”

“I don’t know. Matthew just turned one. I’m thinking it is a little early to have another baby around. I love him so much, and I love getting to know this little person.” Beth said.

“He is a pretty cool little guy.” Deidre laughed.

“I know. I’m biased, but I don’t think there is another kid as amazing as he is anywhere in this world.” Beth said.

“Yeah, you’re biased. But that’s a mother’s prerogative right.” Deidre smiled.

 

 

Unexpected by carolinaheart

 

Scott stood quietly in the kitchen. He watched Deidre cut up oranges after she finished with the pears. He was trying to get a grasp on his current situation; he was married and they had a daughter. Everything he thought he knew was all turned upside down.

"Are you alright?" Deidre asked as she cut up the final orange. "You look like you're off in space somewhere."

"Yeah, I'm fine." He looked around the kitchen and his eyes fell on a bulletin board by the door. It was covered in pictures, but one in particular stood out. It was a family picture. Rachel was standing in front of a Christmas tree with Bear the dog sitting next to her. They were positioned between Scott and Deidre, who each was holding a little girl, around the age of one, with an elf's hat on top of a head of curly hair. Rachel wore a red Christmas sweater and jeans while the two little girls wore red dresses.

Deidre followed his gaze and smiled.

"Who're the other kids in the Christmas picture up there?" Scott asked pointing to the bulletin board.

"Gabby and Tess our twin girls."

“We have twins?” Scott asked.

“Yes we have twins and they just turned two. Life with our girls has been a whirlwind since the beginning. But I wouldn’t change anything…

 

After over two years of marriage, Scott and Deidre were in a good place. They were happy with their family and their four-year-old daughter. And both were excelling in their careers. Deidre was working her ass off in an effort to be promoted to the head of Seattle Regional’s legal department. Her boss was gearing up to retire and Deidre wanted the job. Once again the Chief was hinting at retirement, and Scott still wanted the job. He was looking for ways to prove to everyone that he was capable of being the Chief of Surgery.

The one thing Scott and Deidre had not discussed in a while was expanding their family. The conversation was pushed to the back burner after they adopted Rachel and now it was second to their careers as well.

Early in September one night Deidre put Rachel to bed and went to her own room where Scott was sitting at the desk looking information up on his laptop. Hearing his wife come into the room, he turned around.

“So who won the battle tonight?” Scott asked inquiring about their daughter’s nightly fight against her scheduled bedtime.

“I won this battle, but the war rages on.” Deidre laughed as she sat down on the bed.

“I’ve been thinking Deidre, we said after a year we’d talk about having a kid. It’s been almost three and we still haven’t had the discussion.” Scott said.

Deidre looked at her husband surprised. “Wow, where did that come from?”

“Here me out, Deidre. We both have siblings and I think we are better people for it. I want her to have a little brother or sister that she can bond with…”

“Scott…”

“Deidre, you are great with Rachel. We are great with Rachel together. And I also think we can share that with another child.”

Deidre looked up from where she was examining her hands. “Do you really think now is the best time for this? We are both working for promotions and trying to take on more responsibilities at work.”

“Deidre.” Scott started.

“I’m not saying no Scott, just not yet.” Deidre said.

Scott, feeling defeated, stood up from the desk. “I’m going to get some air.” He said leaving the room.

Over the next two months, neither Scott nor Deidre brought the topic of children up again.

Halloween arrived and Deidre  was getting Rachel ready to go trick-or-treating with Hannah. It was a tradition that Rachel enjoyed with her aunt. The two would go from house to house then come back home and watch a movie with Scott and Deidre. This year, however, was slightly different. Scott was at a seminar in New York and Deidre had just been called into work to sort out an important legal dilemma the hospital was facing. She was planning on leaving as soon as Hannah arrived.

"Give me a spin Rachel," Deidre instructed having finished putting the little girl together.

Rachel spun around and her skirt puffed up and her hair flew out. "You like it mommy?"

"Yes, Rachel you look like a little pirate."

"Like from the pirate movie?"

"Yes Rachel like from the pirate movie." Deidre stood up quickly. Reaching her full height, she had to grab onto a nearby chair in order to stabilize herself so she would not fall. She felt dizzy and lightheaded.

"Are you okay mommy?" Rachel asked.

"I'm fine Rachel. Why don't you go get your candy bag out of your room before Aunt Hannah gets here?"

Rachel ran up the stairs to her room to retrieve the designated bag. While she was upstairs, the door opened.

"Hello, Aunt Hannah's here."

Deidre stepped into the living room where Hannah had seated herself. "Hey, what are you supposed to be?"

"I am a flying ace," Hannah replied as if it were obvious. She had flight goggles on her face as well as a cap on her head. She sported a tan leather flight jacket and underneath was a white T-Shirt with the ace of spades on it.

"Whatever. Rachel, Aunt Hannah's here," Deidre called. "I sent her upstairs to get her bag. We made it last weekend and she's very excited about it."

"I see. How are you doing Deidre? You really don't look so good."

"Well apparently the hospital cannot make sound legal decisions without a lawyer around. Also the person who is usually on tap to handle these types of situations is on vacation. So naturally, the responsibility falls on me. And I think the flu season started early. I'm probably coming down with something. And on top of all that I think I'm gaining weight, none of my clothes fit right; haven't had time to go to the gym."

"Aunt Hannah! Let's go! I want candy." Rachel said bouncing down the stairs. In one hand she had an old pillowcase decorated with parrots, pirate ships and skull and cross bones.

"Hey kid, you look cool, and your bag is awesome. Did you make me one too?" Hannah asked.

"No. Can we go yet?" Rachel asked.

"I think before we go we might want to take pictures to show your daddy. He won't get to see you in your costume." Hannah said.

"Then we can go?"

"Yes Rachel, then we can go."

Deidre smiled gratefully as she began to take pictures. They made silly faces and then they were ready to go.

"Are you sure you're okay Deidre? You really don't look well."

"Hannah, I'm fine. Go have fun and don't let her eat any candy tonight. We have to inspect it tomorrow."

"Whatever. Come on kid." Hannah rolled her eyes.

"Hey you! Don't you even think about leaving with out giving me a kiss goodbye," Deidre said in mock anger.

"Sorry mommy."

Deidre stooped to Rachel's height, and the little girl wrapped her arms around Deidre's neck. "Okay Rachel, have fun."

"Bye mommy!" Rachel waved as she slipped her hand into Hannah's and they disappeared into the night in search of candy.

After Hannah and Rachel disappeared down the street, Deidre was in her car on the way to the hospital. She knew it would be a long night. Deidre had just finished a write-up about the pressing legal dilemma and was getting ready to leave. She walked out of her office and down the hall. She was about to step onto the elevator when someone called her name. Deidre spun quickly spun around but the action caused her to become dizzy and she lost consciousness.

 

Deidre opened her eyes confused. She was laying in one of the hospital beds; the last thing she remembered was someone calling her name. She swung her legs around and tried to get up. As soon as she stood she felt lightheaded again. She sat back down on the bed to try and get her bearings.

Deidre looked up when she heard the door open. The short commanding figure of Dr. Marla Healy came into view. She and Deidre still didn't get along very well. Deidre had made a decision regarding one of Dr. Healy’s favorite patients that resulted in the patient’s death. Ever since then, Dr. Healy regarded Deidre as a coldhearted bitch.

"Dr. Healy, what are you doing in here?" Deidre asked annoyed.

"Well every other doctor in the area was busy so that left the task of seeing what's wrong with your ass up to me. Lovely isn't it?"

Deidre rolled her eyes, "I'm fine."

"You passed out on the floor in front of the elevator. I just got your labs back. For someone who's eleven weeks pregnant you're not taking very good care of yourself."

"What do you mean, pregnant?" Deidre asked incredulously.

"You don't know you're pregnant?" Dr. Healy asked the picture becoming clearer to her.

"No. I've been busy; we've been looking at new houses, trying to get Rachel into a private school and working on promotions."

"How do you not notice? You had to realize you were late, at least three months late."

"I chocked it up to stress." Deidre said.

"And your weight gain?"

"I hadn't been able to get to the gym, and it's not that noticeable." Deidre explained.

Marla shook her head. "I take it this was not planned?"

Deidre closed her eyes. "No, not planned. We talked about it and I wanted to wait longer. But definitely not planned.”

No one in the hospital really knew anything about Deidre's personal life. It was common knowledge that she had a daughter, but no one knew the circumstances around Rachel's adoption. Marla began to see the woman sitting before her differently. Who Deidre was at the hospital and who she was at home were two completely different people. And Marla was seeing that fact clearly. "Look, you should probably go home and get some rest. Do you need someone to take you home or do you think you can handle it?"

Deidre began to protest but thought better of it after she saw the look on Marla's face. "I can drive myself home, thank you." Deidre stood up again and was able to successfully walk across the room.

Hannah was sitting in the living room with her feet on the coffee table and a bowl of popcorn in her lap. Rachel was on the floor, leaning against the couch with her own napkin of popcorn. They were watching Flushed Away when the door opened. Hannah looked up and saw Deidre walk through the door.

"You're back late. I thought you were going to be back in time for a mocie?"

"Yeah well, change of plans."

"Hi mommy," Rachel said looking up from the floor with a big smile on her face.

"Did you just completely disregard bedtime Hannah? It's 10:30; Rachel was supposed to be in bed two and a half hours ago."

"I promised her we could watch a movie," Hannah said.

"Are your feet on the coffee table?" Deidre asked.

"No," Hannah quickly removed her feet and Rachel snickered.

Deidre shook her head as she sat next to Hannah on the couch. "Rachel you can watch the end of the movie but as soon as it's over it's bedtime got it?"

"Yes mommy," Rachel said climbing into Deidre's lap.

By the end of the movie Rachel was asleep in Deidre's lap. She picked the sleeping child up and took her upstairs to put her in bed. Deidre tucked in her daughter, smoothed her black curls off of her face and kissed her forehead. She went back down stairs to find Hannah cleaning up.

"So what took you so long?" Hannah asked.

"Another situation came up."

"I don't believe that. You didn't look good when you left, are you better now?"

"I guess you could say that."

"What happened?" Hannah asked sitting back down.

"I passed out on my way out of the building."

"What do you mean passed out?"

"I fainted, and was out for awhile. They wanted to run some tests before they sent me home."

"Do you know what's wrong?" Hannah asked concerned.

Deidre pushed her hair back, "I'm pregnant."

"You're what?"

"My thoughts exactly."

"How far along are you?"

"Eleven weeks apparently."

"Oh, wow." Hannah said.

"Yeah." Deidre said.

"Are you gonna' be alright here by yourself?" Hannah asked getting up.

"Yes, I'll be fine. I'm going to change and go to bed. You go out and have fun. You're young; it's what you're supposed to do." Deidre insisted walking Hannah to the door.

"If you need anything, I can be here in ten minuets." Hannah said hugging her sister-in-law.

"Yeah and you might kill yourself on the way. We'll be fine. Scott gets back in the morning. Thanks for taking Rachel trick-or-treating."

"As always, it was my pleasure. Goodnight Deidre."

"Good night."

The next morning Scott walked into the quiet house while the sun was coming up. He quietly placed his bags in the laundry room and went up the stairs. He stopped first and checked on Rachel. She was wrapped tightly in her comforter with her black unruly curls all over the place. Scott gently moved her hair and gave her a kiss. She stirred lightly and then settled back down.

Next, Scott made his way to the room he shared with Deidre. He slowly pushed the door open, in case she was still sleeping, he did not want to wake her. However, what he found was not a sleeping Deidre. She was sitting on the bed with her laptop in front of her and papers surrounding her. She had a pen in between her lips and her hair was falling on her face as she typed something into the computer. "Morning," Scott said.

Deidre looked up surprised and smiled. "Hey, I thought your flight didn't get back until a little later."

"Yeah well, couldn't wait to see my girls." He put his suitcase by the door.

"Is she up yet?"

"No," Scott said as he made his way over to the bed. "What are you doing?" He asked sitting down.

"Looking at houses.”

"Really, is there a reason you’ve decided to start house hunting?” Scott laughed.

"Our house is too small Deidre said as she moved papers around on the bed.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm…"

"Mommy!" Rachel said as she burst into the room interrupting her parents' conversation. She got even more excited when she saw Scott on the bed. "Daddy's back!" She tackled Scott on the bed and sat on his chest.

"I missed you too Rachel." Scott smiled as he at up. "How was Halloween with Hannah? Did you get a lot of candy?"

"Yeah, but she wouldn't let me eat any." Rachel pouted. "Can we go to IHOP for breakfast?"

Scott looked to Deidre who was still searching the Internet. She looked up when the room got quiet. "What?"

"Rachel wanted to know if we could go to IHOP for breakfast."

"You two can go, I don't feel up to it right now." Deidre said.

Scott shrugged it off and looked at Rachel. "Okay munchkin let's get you dressed and then we can go."

When Scott and Rachel got back from their morning outing, it was two o'clock and time for Rachel's nap. So Scott took her up to her room and tucked her in. When he came back downstairs, he noticed Deidre sitting at the table with the same stack of papers from the morning.

"Hey," he said sitting down next to her.

"How was IHOP?"

"It was good. We went to the park afterwards, and then had lunch and here we are. I put her down for a nap."

"That's good. Deidre, what's going on?"

Her fingers were still but she continued to stare at the screen. Scott opened his mouth to ask the question again. "I'm pregnant Scott, eleven weeks. I got so caught up in everything that I didn't even notice."

Scott was stunned. He was not expecting that. He did not know what he was expecting, but it wasn't that. After their conversation the previous month, he thought a child, at least for the time being, was completely off the table.

"Scott, say something.” Deidre said.

“What do you want me to say? You already know how I feel Deidre. I’m concerned about what you’re thinking.”

“This is supposed to happen later. It’s supposed to happen after my boss retires and when I find out whether or not I got the promotion. Not now.”

Scott gave her a look. He was concerned about what she was planning to do.

Deidre leaned back in her chair and placed her hand on her abdomen. “We have a kid growing in there.” She said looking at her husband.

“Yeah we do.”

 

 

Twins by carolinaheart

 

A few weeks after finding out she was pregnant, Deidre was scheduled for her second appointment and an ultra sound with her doctor.  She and Scott arrived at the doctor’s office early enough to flip through the parenting magazines on the table.

Scott watched his wife impatiently turn the pages of the magazine she was holding.

“Are you okay?” Scott asked.

“I’m a little anxious.” Deidre said.

“About?”

“I don’t know maybe about the fact that I’m having a baby. In five months I’ll be pushing a human being out of my body. I think I deserve to be anxious.” Deidre explained.

Scott laughed and shook his head, “okay.”

A few minutes later a nurse came in from the back. “Deidre.” She called.

Deidre and Scott stood up and followed the woman into an exam room. After having her blood taken, Deidre sat on the exam table staring off into space.

“Deidre, what are you thinking?” Scott asked.

“Nothing. I’m just making a mental list of all of the things we need to do before the baby arrives.”

Scott laughed. “Deidre we have some time before we need to think to hard about that. How about you wait before you start freaking out.”

“Okay. You’re right.” Deidre commented. “You are right.” She said again trying to convince herself of the fact.

Before either could say anything else, the doctor walked in.

“Deidre, how are you doing today?” She asked.

“I’m good Dr. West.”

“That’s good to here. We went ahead and performed the tests we talked about last time on the blood sample you gave us. I’m actually really glad you are having an ultrasound done today as well. It will give us a chance to see what’s going on. Your AFP levels are kind of high…”

“Is that a problem?” Scott asked concerned. Obstetrics was not something he paid close attention to in medical school.

“Well it all depends on what the ultrasound shows. It could indicate a problem with the fetus…”

“Wait, a problem what kind of problem?” Deidre asked.

“Let me finish, please. It could also indicate the presence of more than one fetus.”

“More than one?” Deidre asked this time slightly confused.

“Yes, as in multiple babies. I was wondering if there is a history of twins or multiples in your family Deidre.” Dr. West asked.

“Yes, I have a twin brother.”

“Then I’m going to say the possibility that your high AFP levels are indicating that you are carrying twins. So, how about we get the ultrasound done and regroup after that?” Dr. West said. “I’ll be back in a minute with our ultrasound tech.”

“So, twins.” Scott said.

Deidre laid back on the table and closed her eyes. “That’s what she said right?”

“Yes, that’s what she said.”

Deidre opened her eyes and turned her head toward Scott. “I’d rather it be twins than have something go wrong with the baby.”

“I agree.” Scott said. He grabbed her hand and squeezed it.

Dr. West returned with the ultrasound technician. “Deidre, Scott this is Lacey. She will be handling the ultrasound, okay.”

“Okay.” Deidre said.

“Alright Deidre if you could lift your shirt a little.” Lacey said.

Deidre did as instructed and pulled up her shirt.

“This shouldn’t be too cold.” Lacey said as she squirted some gel onto Deidre’s abdomen. Lacey moved the wand around until she found what she was looking for.

Scott and Deidre both watched the screen intently. After a few seconds, a steady thumping was heard.

“Is that the heartbeat?” Scott asked.

“Yes it is.” Lacey said.

“Wait and is that another head.” Scott said pointing to the screen.

The three women looked at the screen harder than they had before.

“That is definitely another head.” Dr. West smiled. “Congratulations, your having twins.”

“Wow.” Deidre said. “Oh my god. This is really happening.”

The entire way home from the appointment Deidre was quiet. She was lost in thought. From time to time, Scott looked over to his wife sitting in the passenger seat.

“Hey.” Scott said getting Deidre’s attention. She looked over at Scott. “I feel like I’ve been asking you this a lot today, but I want to make sure you’re okay.”

“Yeah Scott. I’m fine. I just… I didn’t think this would happen so soon, nor did I think I’d be having twins. Scott, we’re having twins. How do we tell Rachel? When do we tell Rachel?”

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon. Scott had gone out with a few friends while Deidre and Rachel stayed at home. Earlier in the month, the growing family moved into a larger home. With the help of their friends, they were able to get everything unpacked.

Deidre was into week thirty of her pregnancy. She lay on the couch watching the Disney movie Up with Rachel, who was sitting on the floor with Bear’s head resting in her lap. Deidre was only halfway paying attention to the movie she was now watching for the fourth time in three weeks—the movie was one of Rachel’s favorites. A bad headache distracted Deidre from the movie.

After the movie ended, Rachel stood up and went over to her mother on the couch. Bear disappeared after being jolted from his comfortable position.

“Mommy.” Rachel said.

Deidre opened her eyes and looked at the four-yea-old standing very close to her face and smiled. “Yes Rachel?”

“Are you okay?” Rachel asked concerned. She was a very perceptive child and could tell her mother was not feeling her best.

“I have just a little headache; I’ll be fine. Do you think you can put some more water in my cup?” Deidre asked.

Rachel nodded; she was always happy to help. Walking slowly with both hands gripping the cup, Rachel returned.

“Thank you.” Deidre said as she sat up.

“Can I feel?” Rachel said. Throughout Deidre’s pregnancy, Rachel showed a great deal of interest and attachment to the twins her mother was carrying. Both Deidre and Scott encouraged her behavior because they wanted Rachel to feel like she was apart of everything.

Deidre nodded her head, “of course you can.”

Rachel put her small hands to Deidre’s belly and laid her head down as well. She giggled. “I felt a kick.”

Deidre continued to smile and nod her head.

The door to the garage opened and closed. Deidre and Rachel heard Bear going through the house to greet the new arrival.

Scott walked into the living room, followed by Bear, to find Deidre resting on the couch and Rachel’s head resting on Deidre’s belly. He smiled. If ever there was a Kodak moment, this was it. He pulled out his iPhone.

Deidre lifted her head, “hey.”

“Don’t move you two. I’m taking a picture.” Scott said.

“Of course you are.” Deidre laughed. “You have become like the paparazzi. I need to start seeing these pictures before you send them to our mothers.”

“Why? They aren’t bad.” Scott said sitting down on the coffee table in front of the couch.

Deidre rolled her eyes before closing them again.

“Hi daddy.” Rachel said. She turned around and sat on his leg.

“Hey Rachel.” Scott laughed. “When did I become a chair?”

Rachel giggled and shrugged her shoulders.

Deidre rolled her head over to look at her husband and daughter. “Don’t act like you haven’t been an appropriate chair for years Scott.”

“Of course, take Rachel’s side.” Scott said in mock hurt.

Rachel giggled some more at her parents’ conversation.

“And what are you laughing at?” Scott asked. He began to tickle Rachel, who then let out a large yelp of laughter.

“I’m not laughing! I’m not laughing!” Rachel squealed.

Bear, the dog, chose that moment to begin barking.

Deidre smiled at their antics, but it was forced. The increasing noise level was only making the pain in her head worse. Looking up Scott noticed the look on Deidre’s face, and so did Rachel.

“Mommy’s not feeling well.” Rachel told her dad.

“I see.” Scott said. “Ray, why don’t you go and get that book you wanted to read to me before I left while I talk to mommy.”

“Okay.” Rachel said leaving the room.

After he was sure Rachel was not in hearing distance, Scott turned to Deidre. “So, what’s going on here?” He asked referring to how she was feeling.

“It’s nothing just a little headache and some soreness.” Deidre said trying to downplay her pain. She did not want her husband to worry.

“Deidre, you’re seven and a half months pregnant with twins. Don’t write-off your aches and pains.  It could be something more serious.”

“Scott, you worry to much.”

“No, I’m a doctor. I think we should call Dr. West and try to get in to see her tomorrow morning.”

“Fine,” Deidre said conceding. “Call her office and set up an appointment. I think I’m going to go lay down in the room. Help me up.”

“Good.” Scott said as he stood up and offered his hand to Deidre.

The next morning, after dropping Rachel off at school, Scott and Deidre went in to see the doctor.

“Good morning.” Dr. West said coming into the room.

“Hi.” Deidre said.

Dr. West leaned against the counter in the exam room. “So, you are having headaches?”

“Yeah. I thought it was just something that came along with being pregnant.”

“We always want to check when you have new symptoms.” Dr. West said seriously. “Your headaches could be an indictor of another issue.”

“What kind of problem?” Scott asked.

“I want to check Deidre’s blood pressure and depending on the results, we’ll do some blood and urine tests. Your headache is an indicatory of preeclampsia. Unfortunately Deidre, due to your age, ethnicity and the fact that you are carrying twins, you are more likely to develop the condition.” Dr. West explained as she fastened a blood pressure cuff around Deidre’s upper arm.

The electronic blood pressure cuff beeped indicating it was done with the reading. “Let’s take a look. 142 over 91.”

“That’s high.” Scott said.

“Yes it is. Anything higher than 140 over 90 for pregnant women is considered high. I’m pretty sure you have preeclampsia Deidre. But I want you to come in tomorrow so we can take another reading. Until then I want you to stay at home and relax. No working, just take it easy. I would prefer it if you lay on your side.  Depending on what your blood pressure is tomorrow, we’ll make final decisions as far as how often I want you to come in and what type of activity you’re allowed to do.” Dr. West explained.

“What happens if my blood pressure doesn’t get any lower or if it continues to rise?” Deidre asked concerned.

“Worst case, we give you steroids to help the twins lung function develop faster and we schedule a cesarean section. But we are not at that point.” Dr. West said.

Deidre nodded her head. “Okay.”

Scott looked at his wife who was now squeezing his hand.

“Thanks Dr. West. We’ll see you tomorrow.” Scott said helping Deidre up.

Most of the ride home, Deidre was quiet. “Deidre, I know you’ve got a lot running through your head. Care to share?”

“I might be freaking out a little bit.” Deidre said.

“Don’t do that. We’ll know more tomorrow.”

Deidre tried to stay calm as she nodded her head.

A week passed since Deidre’s original appointment. Her blood pressure was still high and the other tests confirmed preeclampsia. Dr. West determined Deidre’s condition was not serious enough to warrant hospitalization. But she did put her patient on bed rest at home. Deidre was supposed to spend as much time lying on her side as possible.

Deidre was home alone.  Rachel was at school and Scott was at work. Deidre was thirsty, so she got up from her position on the couch and went to the kitchen. Bear followed behind her. As she was fixing something to drink, the doorbell rang and then opened.

“Hello, Hello? I brought food!” Hannah called walking into the house. She looked around and did not see her sister-in-law. “Deidre?”

“I’m in the kitchen Hannah.” Deidre said.

Hannah walked into the kitchen and set the bags on the counter. “Aren’t you supposed to be on the couch or in the bed?” Hannah narrowed her eyes at Deidre.

“I can get up to use the bathroom and fix myself something to drink.” Deidre defended.

“I guess that makes sense.” Hannah conceded. “So I went to the market and got salads. It was the only thing I could think of that was low sodium.”

“That’s fine.” Deidre said picking up a plate and walking into the living room.

Hannah grabbed her own plate and followed Deidre. “How are you doing?”

“You ask me that every time you come over.” Deidre said.

“I’m concerned that’s all. You’re the sister-in-law I like, remember?” Hannah laughed. “And you’re carrying my nieces in there. I can’t have anything happening to you.”

Deidre shook her head, “well in that case, I’m doing okay. I’m bored as hell. There is absolutely nothing to do and I have a slight headache.”

“I can help with the bored part. I can work from here if you like and keep you company. But maybe we should check your blood pressure. Scott told me he brought an electronic cuff home so he could monitor it.” Hannah said getting up from the chair.

“Somehow, I think the real reason you came over was just to check my blood pressure because your brother told you I needed it done.” Deidre said.

Hannah disappeared into the back and came back out with the offending instrument. “He may have mentioned it when I talked to him on the phone. Give me your arm.”

Deidre did as instructed and Hannah took the reading. “Well? Can you call your brother and tell him I’m fine?”

Hannah looked at the numbers and then pulled out her phone.

“Hannah, what are you doing?” Deidre asked.

“I’m just checking something.” Earlier Scott texted his little sister the numbers Deidre’s blood pressure needed to be below. Hannah had memorized it, but she wanted to double check before she ruined Deidre’s day.

“Well?” Deidre asked again.

“I think we need to call your doctor Deidre. You’re blood pressure is too high.”

“And now you’re a doctor?” Deidre asked.

“No, Scott told me I should call your doctor if your blood pressure was approaching 160 over 110. It’s getting pretty close.”

Deidre was quiet. She wasn’t expecting that. “I feel fine, well other than this headache…”

Hannah shook her head. “I’m calling your doctor.”

“No, wait. I’ll call. Can you get my bag from the closet? I have a feeling Dr. West is going to put me in the hospital now.”

“Sure.” Hannah grabbed the bag and Deidre made the call.

About an hour later, Deidre was checked into the Northwest Hospital and Medical center, the hospital where Dr. West had privileges.  It was not long after Deidre settled into the room that Scott came in.

“Hey.” Scott said walking over to Deidre.

“Hey to you to.”

“I’m here too, Scott.” Hannah said.

Scott rolled his eyes. “Thanks Hannah.”

“Anytime. I’m going to go pick up my wonderful niece from school since it’s about that time. Do you want me to bring Rachel by here before we head home?” Hannah asked.

“Yeah that’s fine.” Deidre said.

“Okay, I’ll see you two later.” Hannah said exiting the room.

“Have you talked to Dr. West yet? I mean has she come in?” Scott asked.

“Yeah. She met us at the hospital. She wants to get my blood pressure down, of course. But if that doesn’t happen in the next few hours, they’re going to give the babies steroids to help speed up lung development and schedule a cesarean for tomorrow morning.” Deidre explained.

“Okay. Wow, this is earlier than we planned for.” Scott said.

“It’s too early Scott. I’m only at thirty-one weeks. If I could just get to thirty-four or thirty-five…”

“Hey, Deidre calm down. To wait would put yours and the babies’ health in danger. We knew this was a possibility when we came in last week.”

“I know but…”

“Deidre, this is life; it happens.” Scott said.

“I’m scared.” Deidre admitted.

“And you think I’m not?” Scott asked.

Deidre closed her eyes and sighed in defeat. “Why is it that nothing ever seems to go according to plan?” She asked looking over to Scott.

“You know, my mom used to say ‘If you want to hear God laugh, make plans.’” Scott said.

“Well then I’m sure he thinks this is hilarious.”

“Everything is going to be fine.” Scott said trying to reassure himself as well as his wife.

Two days later Deidre and Scott sat in the NICU. Deidre was holding one of twins and Scott was stroking the other through the incubator. A nurse came over and adjusted the tubes of the incubator.

“Both of the girls are doing surprisingly well.” The nurse commented. At three pounds nine ounces and three ponds twelve ounces, both babies were beginning to thrive.

“I’m just happy they’re okay.” Scott said.

Deidre smiled in agreement.

“I’m curious. Have you picked out names yet? Baby Walker A and Baby Walker B sound cute, but I think they need some names.” The nurse laughed.

“We do actually have names picked out. We finally came to an agreement.” Scott said.

“And…” The nurse asked.

“I have, Gabrielle Joi, aka baby A. And my husband is currently bonding with Tessa Grace, baby B.” Deidre replied.

“Those are very pretty names.”

“I think so. Scott wanted to go with Harley and Marley.” Deidre said.

“Hey, there is nothing wrong with rhyming names.”

Deidre raised an eyebrow. She was never too fond of the idea of naming her child after a motorcycle.

“So where was the compromise?” The nurse asked.

“I got to choose the middle names,” Scott explained. “If it had been completely left to me their names would be Harley Joi and Marley Grace.”

The nurse smiled at the couple and walked away.

Scott looked over to his wife whose attention was once again completely focused on the infant in her arms. “Are you absolutely sure we can’t name them Harley and Marley?” He asked again.

“No, Scott” Deidre said firmly.

Scott laughed. “I was kidding. Besides. I think Tessa and Gabrielle fit them perfectly.”

Deidre smiled. “I’d have to agree.”

 

 

End Notes:

Sadly, we are getting close to the end.

Spectator by carolinaheart

 

Scott stood quietly and thought about his daughters. He still could not believe he had three daughters. He held the family Christmas picture in his hands.

Scott was too engrossed in his thoughts to hear the car pull up outside. It was not until the front door swung that he realized new guests had arrived. He looked up and found the spot where Deidre was standing empty. He cautiously made his way into the living area only to find no one was there either. He realized that it must have been Deidre going out the door. When he looked out the window, Scott saw two little girls and his sister Hannah helping another toddler out of the car. The twins weren’t babies anymore and Rachel looked exactly like the picture he picked up earlier.

"Your husband is watching us from the window. It's kind of creepy." Hannah said hugging Deidre.

"Yeah, well he's been through a lot. I think he's curious more than anything. He hasn't said much, mostly just asked questions."

"Hi mommy," Rachel said walking up and hugging Deidre.

"Hey you. How was school?" She asked kissing her oldest daughter on the forehead.

"You made us go to school while daddy was in the hospital. It was horrible."

"I'm sorry Rachel, but you know how I feel about you guys missing school." Deidre smoothed Rachel’s hair. Deidre bent down to the two toddlers’ level. She lightly took hold of one of each of their arms. "And how about you two Gabrielle and Tessa, did you guys have fun at daycare?"

Gabby pouted and shook her head. "No,” Gabby asked as she struggled to get out of her mother's grip.

"Hey you guys; why don't we go down to the beach and talk?" Deidre suggested pulling the twins away from the house and beckoning Rachel to follow.

Hannah smiled at the four retreating figures and walked in to see her brother.  She put the food she brought in the kitchen. "Hey, how are you doing?"

"I don't know. I don't know anything anymore. I'm married, with kids, daughters to be exact."

"What did Chase say about the whole memory loss thing? Will it come back?"

"Not sure right now, it may come back, it might not. I just … I feel like I've missed out on so much. From what Deidre's told me, I have."

"Well maybe if I give you a good whack on the head all will be back to normal." Hannah smiled.

Scott did not look amused. "Hannah, the human body is not that simple."

"I know that Scott. Lighten up. Everything will work out in the end. It always does."

"There's no way to know for sure." Scott looked through the window out to the beach and watched as Deidre talked to Rachel, Tess and Gabby. "If my memory doesn't come back, if everything's not okay, those girls just lost their father and Deidre has lost her husband, and I don't think I can be who they need me to be."

"You do not need to think like that Scott."

"Why shouldn't I? I'm being realistic here."

"Stop having a pity party for yourself. You don't need to be all down and out when the girls get in here. No doubt Deidre is explaining to them what's going on. But if they see you upset about the whole thing then they're going to get upset. You don't want that do you?" Scott shook his head. "As far as being a husband and a father goes, just be yourself, that's the person Deidre fell in love with and that's the person who is those girls dad. I've got to use the bathroom." Hannah left Scott by himself staring out the window, watching Deidre talk to his daughters, and thinking about what she had said.

Rachel picked up a stone and threw it in the water while Gabby and Tess played in the sand with her mother. "Hey Rachel come here okay. I want to talk to you guys."

"Daddy otay?" Gabby asked.

"Well, daddy was in a car accident last night right. Remember when I told you that?" Deidre asked.

______________________________________________________

Rachel, Tess and Gabby were playing in the playroom when Deidre came in. From her disheveled appearance, Rachel knew immediately that something was wrong. She was a very observant child for her seven years. "Mommy, what's wrong?" Rachel asked putting the doll she'd had in her hand down and walking over to her mother.

Deidre smiled sadly. "Hey girls come here and sit with me okay."

Rachel sat next to her mother while Tess and Gabby both climbed up on her lap. "I have to go to the hospital tonight as soon as your Aunt Hannah gets here okay?"

"But why mommy sad?" Tessa asked reaching up to touch her mother's face.

"Daddy was in an accident about an hour ago. And the doctor said that he wasn't awake yet."

"But daddy otay. Daddy stwong.” Gabby said innocently.

Deidre couldn't look her daughter in the eye so she turned her head. "Why don't we get you guys ready for bed? You have school tomorrow and I don't want you to be any trouble for Aunt Hannah when she gets here okay."

Rachel nodded her head and walked upstairs with her mom and twin sisters following behind her. Rachel went by herself to her room and Deidre followed Gabby and Tess to help them put their pajamas on. "No stowy fwom daddy?" Tess asked as Deidre pulled the shirt over the two-year-old’s head.

“No Tessa, daddy is sleeping at the hospital tonight because of his accident.” Deidre explained.

“Oh.” Tess said.

Gabby, who was dressed and playing with a doll looked up, “Sleep in big wroom?” Gabby asked referring to the upstairs bonus room.

"Yeah Gabby that's fine with me, I’ll tell your Aunt Hannah when she gets here okay." Deidre said.

 

________________________________________________________

“Daddy otay?" Tessa asked, repeating her twin’s question.

Deidre took a deep breath and exhaled, "sweetie, daddy hit his head really hard on the steering wheel and when he got to the hospital he wasn't awake."

"But daddy otay. Daddy here.” Gabby said.

"Your dad doesn't remember a lot of things."

"No member?" Tessa asked confused. She tilted her head to the side.

Deidre shook her head.

"What does he remember, mommy?" Rachel asked afraid of the answer.

"Well he remembers when I moved here," Deidre started.

"But that was a long time ago." Rachel said.

"I know, he doesn't remember much after that."

"He doesn’t remember us?” Rachel asked.

"Girls,” Deidre said, “sometimes when people get hurt really bad they forget people and things that happened. When everything else is all better, like the scrapes and bruises, they still don't remember important things. And it hurts the people they love, but they don't do it on purpose. So we have to be strong for daddy okay?"

"Okay mommy," Rachel said.

"Okay Gabby and Tessa?"

"Otay." Tessa said.

“I stwong.” Gabby said.

"Do you want to play out here for a little while, or should we go eat the dinner Aunt Hannah brought back?"

"I want to eat. I'm hungry." Rachel said turning toward the house.

"Okay then. Tess and Gabby, let's go." Deidre grabbed her daughters’ hands and followed Rachel to the house.

When Scott saw the four of them making their way back to the house, he quickly moved away from the window and looked for something to do. He decided to occupy himself by looking through a photo album sitting on the coffee table in the living room. As he flipped to another page, the door opened and Deidre, Gabby, Tess and Rachel stepped into the house. He tried to ignore the sounds of them making their way to the kitchen. A few seconds later, Deidre came into the room where Scott was sitting by himself.

"Hey," she said, "you should eat something. I thought about making you a plate, but there's nothing wrong with your legs, only your head."

Scott looked at her. He was not amused. He could not understand how she could joke about the situation that he was in. "That was not funny."

"Scott, I know and, I'm sorry, I…" she sighed, "I don't know how I'm supposed to act, or what I'm supposed to do. You don't know me, or us or the girls and I know it's not your fault.” She took in a deep breath and started over. “Look I know you're probably hungry. The sandwich you had for lunch has defiantly worn off by now."

"I don't think I should go in there. Not right now at least."

"What are you talking about Scott?"

"I…"

"Are you afraid to go in there and eat dinner with Tess, Gabby and Rachel? It doesn't matter that you might feel awkward eating with your daughters. I… I want to keep things as close to normal as possible for the girls. They know what happened, and they know you don't remember our life. But they're children they only comprehend so much. They love you, whether you know it or not they do. If you don't eat with Rachel, Gabby and Tess, you'll only hurt them. Avoiding your daughters is not the answer."

"Deidre you can't possibly know how I'm feeling right now. I can't go in there and pretend to be something I'm not, someone I'm not."

"I'm not asking you to. I want you to just eat with them; eat with us. Show the girls that while you may not remember them, you're still okay. They are worried about you."

"I don't think I can do that,"

"Why not?"

"Because they're strangers, and I'm a stranger to them. I'm not the man you told me about in the car. In my head, I'm at the point where I'm insanely attracted to you and I just want to get in your pants. To me you're still the new lawyer who’s good friends with Emi and who can't stand me. I don't have kids and I can't possibly be married because I love the single life too damn much to give it up. I'm sorry to disappoint you." Scott said. He stood up and made his way outside.

Deidre sat alone on the sofa trying to replay everything he said. She knew he was frustrated and confused, any one could see that. She just could not accept that he did not want to be the man she had come to rely on. Deidre wiped a stray tear from her face and stood up to go into the kitchen. She smiled to herself; at least he had sense enough not to speak loud enough for the girls to hear.

"Hey, are you okay?" Hannah asked as she came into the room. "I heard everything."

"I'll be fine Hannah, I don't know about him though? I thought … I didn't think that he would act like this. In the car, on the way here, he asked questions and I told him everything. I thought he accepted it and, I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe I should take the girls home after dinner and let him stay here to think things over. I just, I wanted Rachel and Gabby and Tess to see that Scott was okay and I wanted Scott to know that we love him."

Hannah walked over to her sister-in-law and pulled her into a hug, "Everything will work out. It has to sweetie. I'll go check on him. You go eat something with the girls."

Hannah stormed outside and let the door slam behind her, "Scott!" She yelled down to where he was standing by the water.

He looked up and he could see his sister was mad. Even she had changed, he thought to himself. She looked and acted more mature, but he could still see remnants of the baby sister he remembered.

"What the hell was that?" Hannah asked coming to stop in front of him and pointing to the house.

"Hannah, I don't want to talk about it."

"Why are you pushing her away? The only woman who's loved you enough to put up with your arrogant ass and you push her away."

"I don't know anyone in that house Hannah. What do you want from me?"

"I want you to not run away from your problems. Deal with everything instead. So you don't know how to be who she wants you to be and who those girls need you to be. The best way to start is just to be there. I know you. I could tell you care about the girls from the way you were watching them with Deidre out on the beach. It’s not like I’m asking you to tuck them into bed and read them a story. Just have dinner with them god.”

Scott and Hannah stood out side for a while looking at the waves meeting the shore. They let the air between them calm before either said anything.

"I think Deidre is going to take the girls home instead of staying here with you. Do you want to stay here, by yourself or do you want some company? I'll stay if you need me." Hannah stated.

Scott closed his eyes; he had not meant to hurt anyone, especially Gabby, Tess and Rachel. He had a feeling they would not like being away from him after his accident. But he needed time alone, to figure things out, and maybe he would remember something in the process. "I think I'll stay here by myself. You don't need to babysit me."

"Okay then." Hannah went inside to inform Deidre of Scott's decision.

Scott stayed outside listening to the calming sounds of nature as he thought about everything he was told about his life. He was not sure how long he had been out there when he heard the door to the house open and close again. He looked up and saw Deidre, Hannah, Gabby Tess and Rachel walk out to the car. Hannah smiled and ushered the girls to the car. All four waved at him before they got in. Deidre made her way down toward him.

"Hey, are you sure you'll be alright up here by yourself tonight?"

"I'll be fine. I'm a grown man." He smiled weakly. "Deidre I'm not trying to hurt you, you know that right."

Deidre forced a tight smile and looked back to the car.

"I may be an ass, but I don't go around trying to hurt people. I think I just need to figure this out."

"Okay, I guess I understand." She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "I left phone numbers and addresses on the refrigerator, in case you want to go somewhere. Your phone is also on the table. If you need anything, if anything happens, or you just need someone to talk to, call me please."

"Alright. Thanks Deidre," Scott smiled. He was surprised when she pulled him into a hug.

"I don't care if you don't want to hear it. I love you." She kissed him on the cheek and smiled before walking away.

Scott stood and watched the two cars pull away. After they were gone he stood outside for a few more minuets before he went inside to be alone with his thoughts.

_____________________________________________________

the girls

 

End Notes:

Very, very close to the end now. Maybe two more chapters.

Lonely Nights and Quiet Mornings by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

Not a single flashback in this chapter. Hard to believe right. Lol.

By the time Deidre and the girls returned home, it was late in the evening. As soon as she got inside, she got Tess and Gabby bathed and tucked into bed. She also instructed Rachel to head to bed as well.

After making sure her three daughters were sound asleep, Deidre poured herself a glass of wine and sat down on the couch with her legs curled up to the side of her. Their dog Bear lazily walked over to Deidre and jumped up on the couch and rested his head in her lap. She turned on the television and absent mindedly flipped through the channels in search of something to distract her from the current situation.

Rachel shot up in bed and looked around her dark room. She had a bad dream, but she could not remember what it was about. But the seven-year-old was still scared enough to look for her mom. Rachel got out of bed and tiptoed out into the hall. Hearing voices from the television, she decided to go down stairs to the living room. She found her mother asleep on the couch; the light from the TV danced across her face. Rachel moved closer to Deidre. She sat on the coffee table, which she was not supposed to do, and watched tears fall down her mother’s face. Deidre was crying in her sleep.

“Mommy.” Rachel whispered softly. Deidre did not move. “Mommy.” She said again only a little louder.

Deidre began to awaken. She opened her eyes and blinked a couple of times to get her bearings. When her eyes had adjusted to the low light, she saw Rachel sitting in front of her.

“Rachel, what are you doing up?” Deidre asked uncurling and placing her feet on the floor.

“You were crying and you were sleep.” Rachel said not answering the question.

“What?” Deidre asked confused.

Rachel touched Deidre’s face where her cheeks were still wet. “Are you sad?” Rachel asked.

Deidre smiled and mentally shook her head. Rachel was observant and so caring. “Yes sweetie. I’m very sad.”

“Because daddy doesn’t remember us?” Rachel asked.

Deidre nodded her head.

“I’m sad too.” Rachel said.

Deidre reached out and pulled Rachel off of the table and onto her lap. She snuggled with her oldest daughter on the couch, something she did not get to do as often since the twins were born.  “I know you’re sad too. It’s okay to be sad. Is that why you are up and out of bed?”

Rachel shook her head, “no, I had a bad dream.”

“Do you want to tell me what it was about?” Deidre asked.

“I can’t remember now. But I was very scared.” Rachel replied.

“It’s okay to be scared and it’s also okay to be sad. I have an idea. Why don’t you sleep with me tonight?”

“Really?!” Rachel asked surprised.

“Yeah, you know I get kind of lonely at night when daddy’s not here and my bed is too big.” Deidre said. “Come on.”

Deidre and Rachel headed upstairs to Deidre’s room.

The next morning the Walker household was comparatively quiet. Deidre was in the kitchen cleaning up breakfast while the girls were in another room watching a movie.

The doorbell rang. Deidre wiped her wet hands on a towel and moved toward the front door. Before she had the chance to open it for the new arrivals, Hannah stepped in to the house.

“Hello,” Hannah called into the empty room. She did not see her nieces, nor were there loud noises vibrating throughout the house. “Is there anyone here?”

“Hey,” Deidre said making her way out of the kitchen, “what’s the point of ringing the doorbell if you’re going to just let yourself in?”

“That would be my fault dear. I didn’t know Hannah had the key.” Catherine said walking in behind her daughter. Her husband David soon followed.

“Catherine.” Deidre smiled.  She then walked over to her mother-in-law and the two embraced in a long hug. “I’m glad you’re here.”

“Thanks sweetie. I just don’t know how much help I’ll be.” Catherine said as the two began to walk over to the couch.

“You just being here is already helpful. God, I’m being so rude. David it’s really good to see you too.” Deidre said.

“Oh, no worries Deidre. You’ve got a lot going on right now. Just point me in the direction of my little granddaughters, and I’ll get out of your hair.”

“I have a feeling their in the play room watching a movie. Am I right?” Hannah asked.

“Yeah they are. How’d you know?” Deidre said.

“It’s way too quiet. And the only time those three are that quiet is when they’re watching a movie. Come on dad; I’ll take you to them.”

After David and Hannah left, Catherine and Deidre got comfortable on the couch.

“So,” Catherine said, “tell me how you’re doing.”

“I thought you’d want an update on Scott.”

“Hannah filled me in already with what’s going on. I plan on going up there myself later on today. But right now, I want to know how you are doing. I’ve known you for what is it, six years now. You are a strong woman, and you’re stubborn. Combined, those two traits don’t leave you with much time to stop and let things out.”

“Catherine, I don’t have time…”

“Don’t give me that shit, pardon my language, but that’s what it is. You need to let your feelings show. Have a good cry if you need to. But whatever you do, don’t bottle up your feelings. You’re only going to make it worse. So, now tell me how you’re feeling.”

“You sound like my mom when I talked to her last night.”

“Great minds you know.” Catherine smiled.  “But stop avoiding the question. How are you doing? What’s going on in that head of yours?”

“I feel like my husband’s left me. I know that it’s not true and that it’s not his fault. I keep trying to think about it like he’s out of town at a conference and he’ll be back in a few days. But it doesn’t help. Because if he was just out of town, I could still call him and talk to him about anything and everything. If it’s this hard now and it’s only been one day, how the hell am I supposed to handle another few days or a week or even a month. And then I think I’m being selfish because this has to be hard on Scott too. What must he be thinking, what’s going through his head right now. I can’t ask him and I can’t help him work through it. I want to be there for him. But how can I help him when he doesn’t know or trust me. I’m just so damn confused.” Deidre said.

Catherine smiled. “You feel better now that you’ve got that out don’t you?” Catherine said.

“No I don’t.”

“I’m betting you at least feel lighter, like a weight has been lifted.”

Deidre nodded her head. She wiped a stray stubborn tear from her eye. She did not want to completely fall apart.

“Deidre, all of your feelings are important. I don’t know how to really answer your questions or address your concerns but I know that voicing them, getting them out in the open helps. I’m here whenever you need to talk.” Catherine said.

“Thank you.” Deidre said.

Meanwhile, in the Walker playroom, Hannah and David walked in to find Rachel lying on the floor in front of the television. To one side, Tessa was coloring with special markers on special paper; on the other, Gabby was pulling the clothes off of a helpless doll.

David smiled at the scene. Living on the other side of the country, he only got to see his granddaughters during the holidays. He hated it. Family members are always the most important people in one’s life. It was an ideal he had tried to instill in all three of his children. Scott was the one he thought would have a hard time with the concept. But sitting before him engrossed in their play, was the proof that his stepson had learned what David had tried to teach. Now, he wondered how Scott would respond to the situation. In the past seven years, David watched Scott grow into a supportive husband and a father who was wrapped around his three girls’ pinky fingers. It’s funny how everything can change in the blink of an eye, David thought.

“Watch are you watching?” David heard his daughter say. Hannah was sitting on the floor with her back against the sofa between Rachel and Gabby.

Tess and Gabby, each wrapped up in their own world, ignored the arrival of their aunt and grandfather. Rachel, however, looked up when Hannah asked the question.  Instead of responding to the inquiry, Rachel jumped up and ran over to David who was still standing in the doorway.

“Grandpa!” Rachel yelled.

David was ready and opened his arms; he caught the seven-year-old ball of energy and lifted her up. “Hey there Rachel.”

Tess and Gabby looked up from what they were doing. They watched their sister’s reaction and began to get excited as well. The twins both stood up and ran over to David.

“Grampa!” Gabby and Tess said.

David picked up each of the girls and kissed them on the forehead before putting them back down on the ground.

“So now you say hello.” David laughed.

Tess and Gabby giggled before they ran back to their spots on the floor.

“Are you here because Daddy hurt his head?” Rachel asked after she and David sat down.

“Yes sweetie, your Nana and I are here because your Daddy hurt his head.” David said.

“Can you make him remember?” Rachel asked.

“Unfortunately sweetheart, I can’t do that. I think only time can make his head better.” David explained.

Rachel hung her head, “I want Daddy to get better.” Rachel said.

“We all do sunshine.” David said.

“Hey Ray, you never did tell me what we’re watching.” Hannah said hijacking the conversation and trying to steer it into a happier territory.

On Whidbey Island, Scott sat outside staring at the water. It seemed like that was all he could do. Being inside the house only haunted him with memories he should have, but did not. In addition to the framed pictures and photo albums around the house, there were also countless numbers of the girls’ artwork. If Scott was not looking at a framed drawing created by one of the twins, he was looking at a clay pencil holder he assumed was made by Rachel.

The tipping point, however, was the pillow Scott found sitting in one of the chairs. It was obviously decorated by a child using fabric paint. On it was a huge sun and the words, “To Daddy from your Ray of Sunshine.”

Scott wondered how Deidre thought being at their vacation home alone would help. A house filled with mementos of times he did not remember only made for one lonely night.

When he woke up that morning, the sounds that greeted him were from nature and not from cars passing by or noisy neighbors. It was too quiet for Scott. It left him with too much time to think. Mostly he thought about what the future would hold. He was out of commission for at least a week, maybe more. Scott was unsure of what he would do during that time. He knew he could not stay on the island, especially if his memory never came back.

After his at home recovery, Scott was sure he would not be allowed to perform any surgeries until he regained his memory, or learned the newest techniques and sat in on a few operations.

Scott was not sure how long he sat outside. To be honest, he did not really care. He wanted time to pass quickly. The faster his recovery went by, the sooner he could go back to work. At least there, he would be in his element. It was a place that was familiar to him.

The crunching of gravel underneath car tires caught Scott’s attention. He turned away from the water and looked over to the driveway where a car was pulling in. It was Hannah’s car; Scott recognized it from the day before. He watched a figure get out and head toward him as the car then backed out of the driveway.

“Mom, what are you doing here?” Scott asked meeting his mother halfway.

“I came out here to see how you’re doing. My son was in a serious car accident. I need to make sure you’re okay.” Catherine said embracing Scott in a hug.

“Where’s Hannah heading off to?”

“Hannah and David are going to get ingredients for dinner. David thinks a nice home-cooked meal like the one’s from your childhood might make you feel a little less out of place.” Catherine said. “Now tell me how you are doing.” She slipped her arm into the crook of Scott’s elbow.

“I’m fine.” Scott said as he led them to the water’s edge.

Catherine shook her head, “you and Deidre, always trying to avoid the question with short answers. Sweetheart, you can’t be fine. You just found out that your life is not your life anymore. You aren’t the person you think you are. That has to be confusing.”

Scott sighed. He took his mother’s arm from under his own before sitting on the ground. Catherine joined him. “I don’t really know how to handle all of this.”

“The only way you can—one day at a time.”

“You know I never thought I’d have that life. I didn’t want to be married and I definitely didn’t want kids.” Scott said.

“I know. But people change, when they meet the right person they change. I remember you telling me how you thought you were capable of being a father and it was something you wanted to do.  And how upset you were when Deidre shot the idea down. It’s funny what life brings. It’s almost as if the two of you have switched roles. You’re the reluctant party and she’s just trying to get you to open up.”

“I don’t know her mom.”

“I don’t believe you knew her when you set your sights on dating her did you?” Catherine said.

“The only reason I am interested or was interested or… She’s a challenge that’s all.”

“That’s how you thought of her originally. Did she tell you how you started dating? Did she tell you that the two of you were friends first?” Catherine asked.

“Yeah, she explained everything to me.”

“Then you know that’s not true, you thinking of her as a challenge.”

“Mom…”

“Scott, don’t start. You’ve had female friends in the past. There’s Becca and Emi.”

“Emi and I aren’t that close.”

“But you’re friends right.” Catherine said.

“I guess.”

“Then why can’t you try doing that with Deidre. Why not try to build a friendship. It happened naturally before. And I know she is more than willing to take whatever you can give at this point. Pushing her away is not going to help you at all. You need all the support you can get because this is going to be difficult.”

“Mom…”

“Think about it Scott. That’s all I ask.”

Mother and son sat for a while before the car pulled up again.

“Come on, I think your sister and David might need some help bringing things in.” Catherine said standing up.

Scott followed his mother.

While David prepared dinner, Hannah and Catherine watched family movies in the living room and Scott sat alone in his room brooding. As the sauce simmered, David went to talk to his stepson.

“Are you here to lecture me too?” Scott asked as he watched David come in and take a seat.

“I came in here because I’m worried about you.” David said.

“Get in line.” Scott said.

“Do you remember what you told me when your father failed to make your high school graduation after he’d missed your middle school graduation four years earlier?” David asked.

“Yeah. I was pissed off and hurt. It wasn’t that he didn’t show up, it’s the fact that he didn’t even try. The man never tried he refused to meet me half way. I wasn’t asking a whole lot; I just wanted him to be there. I wanted him to try.”

“You also said you were terrified you would be just like him, hurting the people you mean the most to and not giving a damn.” David said. 

“This is not the same, I’m not doing what he did. This is a completely different situation.” Scott said trying to justify his actions.

“Is it? Have you tried Scott; do you plan on trying? At all? Just think about it. I know it’s probably too soon for you to really make an effort, you just got out of the hospital. But when it’s time, for you to start trying, I want you to remember how you felt in eight grade looking for your father in the crowd.” David said.

“I thought you said you weren’t coming in here to lecture me.” Scott said.

“Those words never came out of my mouth. I’m going to check on the food. It should be ready soon.” David got up and left Scott to think about their short conversation.

 

 

 

Try by carolinaheart
Author's Notes:

This is the end my friends. Thank you so much for reading1

 

Scott spent the rest of week at the house on Whidbey Island. On the weekend, Deidre came to see him.

Scott was in his favorite spot watching the waves crash when he heard the familiar sound of wheels crunching the gravel. He did not turn around when he heard the engine stop, nor did he turn around when he heard the door open and slam close.

For the most part, Deidre left Scott left to sort things out by himself. She called every day and offered him an ear to listen if he wanted to talk, but he usually hurried off the phone. Deidre always asked if he wanted to speak to the girls, and Scott’s answer was always the same. The last time they talked on the phone, Deidre told him about her plans to come up at the end of the week. So Scott was not surprised when she stepped up next to him.

"How are you?" Deidre asked.

"I'm okay. I talked to Chase yesterday. He said he wants me to come in for some follow up tests and if they're all clear I can go back to work in the next couple of weeks." Scott said.

"Oh, that's good. Do you need a ride?"

“No, I already asked Hannah if she could take me.” Scott said.

Deidre nodded her head. Scott could tell she was still disappointed; he could feel it in the silence.

"Look Deidre, I don't remember anything, and it's frustrating. When I do go back to work and I come back to the city, I don't think I can stay in the same house as you, Gabby, Tess and Rachel. I'll get a hotel room or stay with Hannah."

"You don't want to stay with Hannah."

"Why not?" Scott asked.

"She lives with her fiancé," Deidre explained.

"Hannah's engaged? Wow, I didn't notice the ring."

"It's understandable. But Scott, you don't have to stay somewhere else. I want you to stay with us. You can sleep in the guest room if you want Scott. Just don't stay away, don't avoid us." Deidre pleaded.

"I think it would be best if I didn't stay with you and the girls. It will only confuse them, and me further."

"Maybe the familiarity of the house, of our routine will make something click."

"I doubt it. I've been here in our vacation house this entire week. I've looked at all the pictures and art work and nothing comes to me. Everything is foreign. I'm sorry Deidre." Scott said turning to look at her for the first time since she arrived.

"So am I." Deidre turned around and got back into the car.

Scott faced the water again and tried not to think about the emptiness he felt inside as Deidre drove away.

Deidre arrived home later in the evening than she expected. After leaving Scott at the house on Whidbey Island, Deidre drove around for a couple of hours listening to the radio and trying to clear her head.  The Scott she was dealing with was not the man she knew. Each day it became harder to cope with that fact.

As she walked into the house, Deidre embraced the silence. Hannah and her fiancé had the girls for the night. They would all be by in the morning.

Taking her mother and mother-in-law’s advice, Deidre changed into her pajamas turned on the radio and cried. She let everything she was feeling out into the empty room.

The next morning, dressed in track pants and a t-shirt, Deidre cleaned the house to the sounds of soulful sad songs by artists like Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey and Toni Braxton to name a few. When Hannah let herself inside she could hear Deidre singing along to Tamia’s “Officially Missing You.”

“Aunt Hannah,” Gabby said. “Why mommy sing so loud?”

“I never heard this song ‘afore.” Tess chimed in.

“That’s because this song is older than Rachel.” Hannah said. “Why don’t you guys take your book bags to your room and I’ll talk to your mom.”

Hannah found Deidre in the garage organizing boxes. As she moved them around, she swayed along to the song.

“So this is what you do when we leave you alone—sing sad songs while cleaning.” Hannah said.

Deidre picked up a remote and paused the music. “I didn’t know you guys were back. Where’s your future hubby?”

“Emergency at the hospital. Explain to me again why I’m marrying a doctor? I must be crazy.” Hannah asked.

Deidre just smiled. “Are the girls putting their stuff up?”

“Yeah.” Hannah replied. “I see you’re getting better at expressing your feelings.”

“It’s so much easier when there’s a song that does it for me.” Deidre joked.

“I’m guessing from your song selection it didn’t go well yesterday.”

“No it didn’t.” Deidre sighed. “I still don’t know what to do or how to help him. I know the man I married, the man I fell in love with, the man who is my best friend is in there somewhere. But I don’t know how to show him he can be that person if he wants to. So I think I’m just going to step back. I’m not going to push.”

“Are you capable of doing that?” Hannah asked.

“I honestly don’t know.” Deidre said.

Two months passed since his accident, and Scott still did not remember anything about his life. He was sitting in the hospital cafeteria thinking, something he was doing a lot of since he lost his memory. He went back to work after Chase gave him the all clear.

Walking through the halls of the hospital felt the same as it always had, or at least that was what Scott kept telling himself. He saw Deidre every few days in the hospital. And every time he felt like he was walking on eggshells.

After going back to work and to the city, Scott got a hotel room like he told Deidre he would. There was just something that did not feel right to him about staying in the same house as Deidre and the girls; he did not want to pretend everything was fine when it was not.

Once a week Deidre called and talked to him about things not related to the hospital. He never initiated the contact; he was keeping himself away. Scott also did not make any effort to see Rachel, Gabby and Tess since they were all at the vacation house on Whidbey; it was his choice. In the beginning, his reasoning was that he did not want to put on a charade. Children were observant, and he knew that the girls would see right through it. As the weeks wore on, he avoided Rachel, Gabby and Tess because he felt guilty for staying away in the first place.

Hannah had become Scott's only confidant, and even she was upset with him. She talked to him because she was his sister and that was what she was supposed to do. However, she always expressed her distaste of his decision to stay away from his family. They talked on the phone every day and every day she told him the same thing: stop being an ass and be a man. It never worked.

Scott looked around the room; the occupants filled each table with lively conversation, and he was sitting by himself. Most people around the hospital had heard about his amnesia and the news about his relationship with Deidre was out. But no one was overly sympathetic. Everyone saw the small change that had occurred in the fierce, take-no-prisoners lawyer, Deidre James. And they all blamed him. He closed his eyes; he hated that stare, the one that said you ruined everything and broke one of the strongest people who works in this hospital.

Having finished his meal, Scott stood up from the table and threw out his trash. He then went to check the surgery board. When he arrived, he found Deidre arguing with a surgical intern—one of the less skilled interns who no one thought would make a decent surgeon.

Not seeing any surgeries he wanted to sit in on, he turned around and walked away.

That night, Scott got back to his hotel room and looked around. He was so lonely. Worst of all, he was hurting people. This was never the life he had wanted for himself. Although, now he was not sure what kind of life he did want for himself. He just knew this was not it.

After wallowing in self-pity for a couple of hours, Scott thought back to the conversation he had with David two months ago. He was not trying. And Scott was beginning to see his father in himself, and that was not a good thing. With the new realization, Scott picked up his keys and left.

Driving through the neighborhood, Scott looked around and smiled to himself. It really was nice. The sun was setting and the streetlights were starting to come on. The kids on the sidewalks all looked as if they were racing to their homes before their parents got upset.

Scott pulled the car into the driveway of a brick home with black shutters. From the exterior, the house looked as if all was well with the family that resided there. No one could ever tell, just by looking at the outside, that the family inside was broken and in pain.

He sat in the car, with his head on the steering wheel. He was not quite ready to do what he needed to do. Scott was about to open the driver side door when it happened; the first ray of hope in the past two months broke through. He closed his eyes and let his mind wander back to a memory that had been locked away…

____________________________________________________ 

Scott had just put Rachel to bed, and he was watching his wife place one of their two-month-old daughters in her crib. Deidre looked up, turned her head and smiled. She put her finger to her lips as she joined Scott in the hallway.

"Hey, is Rachel sleep?" She asked as she pulled the door almost completely closed leaving a crack so they would be able to hear the twins if they needed anything.

"Yeah. I had to read two books and chase away any left over monsters, and monsters that apparently followed us here." Scott smiled as they walked to their bedroom. "Did you know we had monsters in the other house?"

"Of course I did. Apparently they only decided to show up whenever you weren't there. I'm not quite sure why that was though."

"Maybe they were afraid of me?"

"I doubt it. You like to play all tough, but you’re a softie on the inside" Deidre said changing out of her clothes.

"I’m not sure that’s a good thing," Scott said walking up behind her.

"You might think it’s not, but it’s one of the things that makes you such a good guy.” Deidre said turning around.

“Oh really? I’m a good guy?” He asked snaking his hands up her scantily clad torso.

“Yeah,” Deidre smiled.

“Would a good guy do this?” Scott asked as his hands started to move south.

“Most definitely.” Deidre smiled before rewarding him with a hungry kiss.

______________________________________________________

Opening his eyes, Scott got out of the car and made his way up the front steps of the house. He rang the doorbell and waited anxiously on the stoop.

Deidre was on the phone when she heard the doorbell ring. She looked out the side window and saw Scott standing, waiting for her to open the door. She ended the call and opened the door. "Hey," she said as she stepped aside allowing him to enter.

"Hi. Where are the girls?" He asked looking around before he crossed the threshold.

"They're upstairs in the play room." Deidre closed the door and walked into the kitchen. Scott followed her. She put dishes from dinner into the dishwasher before either of them said anything. "Why are you here? It's been two months and now you're here in the kitchen just standing and not saying anything."

"Did I ever tell you what my greatest fear was Deidre?" He asked.

Deidre sighed and shook her head. "No you didn't."

He moved closer to where she was standing, but not so close that he would be invading her personal space. "I’m terrified that I’ll become my father. He hurt us, my mother and me. And I never want to be the type of person who hurts the people I mean the most to. In the past, I tried to never let anyone get close. If they weren’t close to me, then there would be no way of hurting them. And here I am now doing to you and our daughters what I swore I’d never do. My dad was also lazy and he never made an effort to be any better. And now I’m not trying. I seem to be doing all of the things I never intended to do.” Scott explained.

Deidre looked at her husband and watched as he continued to speak. “Deidre I don’t want to be the person I’m turning into. I don’t want to look back and wonder how things would have been different if I had put some effort into rebuilding a relationship with you. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm here now and I want to try and make this work. I need this to work, not for me but for my daughters."

"I've been here, we've been here the entire time Scott," Deidre said angrily. Over the past two months the walls she had built up before she met Scott, started to reappear.

"I know. I don’t expect things to go smoothly right away. We can start slow if you want. I just refuse to not try."

Deidre closed her eyes to the tears that were trying to fall. Her arms were folded tightly against her body. “Scott,” Deidre started as she shook her head. She did not know if she could take him coming back into her life only to leave again.

“Let me try Deidre.” Scott said finally invading her space.

Deidre opened her eyes and looked up. Scott could see the unshed tears in her eyes and he was at a loss for what to do. So he did the only thing that seemed natural. He pulled her into a hug.

After a few minutes, Deidre pulled out of his embrace. “So, how do we do this?”

“I can continue to stay at the hotel or get an apartment or possibly stay here in the guest room.”

“I…” Deidre started. “We have an apartment above the garage. It’s not big but it has it’s own entrance but you’ll still be here for the girls.” Deidre said.

“Okay.” Scott said.

“I know it’s probably not ideal, but I don’t think I can let you back in, at least not right away.”

“I completely understand.”

Deidre took a deep breath. “Okay.”

Scott depicted a faint smile forming on Deidre’s face. “While I was sitting in the car, I remembered one of our first nights in this house,” Scott started. “I remembered putting the girls to sleep, our conversation and other things.” Scott smirked.

“Oh Really?” Deidre said raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah," Scott’s smirk widened into a grin.

Deidre rolled her eyes.

"I don't remember anything else though.” Scott said more seriously. “And I'm counting on you to help me through the whole parenting thing. All I remember is that apparently we have a monster infestation."

"We do. They moved from Rachel’s room to Gabby and Tess’ room. But since your back I think that takes care of the problem." Deidre said.

"We can do this right?" Scott asked.

Deidre leaned back on the counter with her arms folded once again. She looked down and then back up at Scott who was waiting for an answer, "yeah, I think we can."

"Mommy, mommy, can we have ice cream… DADDY!" Gabby yelled as she ran into the kitchen.

Scott bent down and pick up Gabby. Rachel and Tess followed closely behind their sister into the room, but both stayed close by Deidre.

"Hi gorgeous," Scott smiled.

"I missed you daddy. Do you 'member now?" Gabby asked.

"I don't remember everything, I don’t remember a lot of things.” Scott looked past Gabby and made eye contact with Deidre, “But I’m going to be here with you guys so we can make new memories,” he looked back down to his daughter, “is that okay?”

Gabby nodded her head enthusiastically before wrapping her arms around Scott’s neck. Tess followed Gabby’s lead and ran over to Scott and received a large hug from him as well.

Rachel walked over to Scott. She looked at him suspiciously and motioned for him to come down to her level with her finger. Scott squatted on he floor.

Rachel stepped closer and hugged her father, "don't leave us again daddy. You made mommy cry." She whispered into his ear.

"I won't." Scott said.

 

 

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=1858