SLAV by chocolate470
Summary:

user posted image

In an era filled with prejudice, racism, class divisions and societal norms enter Drake and Eliza – one born into wealth, one born to serve that wealth. Whilst growing up they shared a mutual respect for one another but years spent apart made their lives take its assumed direction. Could a return visit rekindle their friendship and something more?  

Banner:  Thanks to TokenBlackGirl for the awesome banner!

 


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: Evangeline Williamson
Classification: Off Cannon
Genre: Drama, Family, Friendship, Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Original Characters, Racism, Sexual Content , Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 36040 Read: 56802 Published: 21/11/08 Updated: 14/01/09

1. Prologue by chocolate470

2. Chapter 1 by chocolate470

3. Chapter 3 by chocolate470

4. Chapter 4 by chocolate470

5. Chapter 5 by chocolate470

6. Chapter 6 by chocolate470

7. Chapter 7 by chocolate470

8. Chapter 8 by chocolate470

9. Chapter 9 by chocolate470

10. Chapter 10 by chocolate470

Prologue by chocolate470

BACKGROUND 

Physical slaves often are a distinct liability to the owner. Mental slaves are slaves in the most profitable way, doing their master’s bidding without hope of reward and without desire for fight and insurrection. This is the form of slavery that Britain maintained in her colonies…encouraging the inevitable bootlickers among their inhabitants to fasten among their fellow citizens a distinct feeling of inferiority and utter dependence on Britain, both of which feelings are then combined and presented in a compound called loyalty to Britain. Leigh Richardson, 1950 

British pirates also called “buccaneers” settled among the logwood forests of the Bay of Honduras (Belize). They had once used the coast to raid Spanish ships but in the middle of the 17th century they began to cut logwood. Logwood is a tree from which a valuable dye to color woolen cloth was made. It was the economic basis for Belize for 100 years. In the late 18th century slaves were brought in from Africa (Congoes, Nangoes, Mongolas, Ashantees, Eboes), Bermuda and Jamaica to work in scattered gangs in the Belizean rain forests, primarily for logging purposes.

 

When the market for logwood declined the settlers began cutting Mahogany. Mahogany trees were larger, grew further inland and farther from each other than Logwood. It was highly valued in Europe by cabinetmakers, shipbuilders and builders of railroad carriages. It required money, land and many workers. After 1770 80% of all male slaves 10 years and older logged mahogany. Cutting wood was seasonal work that required workers to spend several months isolated in temporary makeshift camps in the forest, away from families in town. The most valued slave was the “huntsman” who searched the forest to find the mahogany trees. The “axeman” cut down trees while standing on a springy platform four to five meters high. The rest of the gang had to trim the tree after it fell and clear the path for it to be dragged. The “cattleman” job was to take care of the cattle used to pull the huge trunks to the river. These gangs consisted of 10 – 50 men who were then divided into several small ones. During the rainy season, settlers and slaves floated rafts of untrimmed logs downriver, where the wood was processed for shipment.  

 

The colonial masters used domestic slaves, mostly women and children, to clean their houses, sew, wash and iron their clothes, prepare and serve their food, and raise their children. Some slaves cultivated provisions that would either be sold or used to save their owners some of the cost of importing food. Other slaves worked as sailors, blacksmiths, nurses and bakers. Few slaves, however, held jobs requiring a high level of skill. Young people started work by waiting on their master’s tables, where the were taught to obey, then most of the young women continued in domestic work while the young men became woodcutters.

 

With the growth of industrialization in Great Britain came the need for a free market economy. By paying wages capitalists could make more profit by selling products to workers who now had their own money to spend. The slave system did not provide for this. An apprenticeship system which lasted from 1834-1838 was created to keep control over the workers and condition them to accept this control. Under this system all slaves over the age of six years became “apprenticed laborers” and were forced to continue to work for their ex-masters without pay. In 1838 slaves were officially emancipated throughout the British Empire. The slave owners were paid compensation for the loss of their slaves. Even though the slaves were legally free, they still had to depend on their former owners for jobs and were unable to own any land. They were limited in their opportunities.

 

Mahogany workers were paid between $12 to $15 per month, plus rations – seven quarts of flour and four pounds of pork a week. Through the “advance system” the employer paid the worker some of his wages before he started working. The worker signed a contract by which he agreed to work for a certain period of time, often nine to eleven months. The contracting was done in Belize Town before Christmas. The workers used their advance money to spend time with their families, and then returned to the mahogany camps. Once at the camps the laborer had to pay back the advance he was given. If he needed extra goods he had to buy them from his employer at high prices. The book-keeper debited the account for the costs. He also charged the worker fines if he was late to work, sick or absent or for being “lazy” or disrespectful to his supervisor. When he finished work for the season he would usually owe his employer money. He would then have to sign a contract for another year.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 1 by chocolate470
Author's Notes:

   

Drake                     Eliza

March 1860

 

It was the beginning of the dry season which was a welcome relief for residents of the Bay. The rainy season was filled with muck and misery – muddied earthen roads that soiled the hems of respectable ladies’ dresses and ruined fashionable shoes of the day. Back then not much thought was given to the cycle of the earth and being in harmony with nature – most goods were imported and the land was plundered for profit.

 

At the Brodie household preparations were already underway for the impending visit of Drake Brodie and his two female companions – rooms were scrubbed and dusted while fresh linen draperies hung from the shuttered windows. Drake had left four long years ago and some wondered if he would ever return until one day when his father received word that he was coming home for a visit. It was the most excited the old man had been in many years.

 

Meanwhile…

 

Eliza stood busily at the kitchen table cutting away at some fresh garden vegetables that Robert had brought in earlier.  The kitchen was already warm and beads of sweat lay scattered across her brow. Aunt Bessie and Gloria had already seasoned the beef which had been left to marinate. Matilda was supposed to give her a hand but she had to go and buy some medicine for Ms. Elizabeth. Suddenly she heard the others scurrying about outside – Drake’s carriage must have finally arrived. He was home. Eliza could care less or so she told herself.

“Why aren’t you coming?” An inquisitive Gloria peaked by the door and asked.

 

“If the meal isn’t prepared on time then I’ll get the blame. I’m already short-handed as it is.”

 

Gloria smirked, “Sure I believe you. Drake finally comes home and here you are pretending like nothing is going on. As I remember weren’t you the one pining away for him.”

 

Eliza instantly halted her task and gripped the knife firmly. “Shut up Gloria before I shut you up!”

 

“I want to see you try!” Gloria shouted back arms akimbo.

 

“Gloria, come on child! Leave her be!” Aunt Bessie made her presence at the kitchen door. Gloria smirked again turned around and left in a huff. Aunt Bessie shook her head solemnly at her niece before leaving.

 

“I’m sure they won’t miss me,” Eliza muttered under her breath.

When Ms. Edith died Aunt Bessie trained Eliza in taking over more responsibilities in the kitchen. Gloria and Eliza had their share of squabbles with Aunt Bessie usually having to interject to keep the peace.

 

Aunt Bessie was very loyal to the Brodie household. She felt that they were luckier than other black families living in the same position – having good food to eat and a nice roof over their heads was quite adequate. However, her husband Moses perceived things differently. Every year he and their two sons had to trudge off to the mahogany camp where they stayed for ten months at a time. It was no way for a man to live and have a successful home life. Emancipation meant freedom and owning land but they felt neither free nor were given the right to own property. Such was life and everyone felt compelled to conform or risk the consequences.

“It’s great to see you again father,” Drake said giving him a hug and shaking his hand briskly. James surveyed his son and thought that England had certainly changed him outwardly. Pale skin adorned a black coat, pantaloons, a pair of gloves and a black hat which he took off when he greeted his father. His voice had changed as well – the English accent had deepened.

“Son you are looking a bit peaked but I’m sure our weather will give you back your normal coloring.” 

“Blame British weather father. Sometimes it can be quite depressing and the lack of sunshine adds to it. A few days in the Bay will make me good as new. ”

A beautiful young lady strolled to Drake’s side with a lace parasol hanging over her head.   She was outfitted in a dark green dress with a cape of the same color and black ladies’ gloves; waved black hair was mostly hidden under her green bonnet. A bit of rouge colored her cheeks. 

 

“And who is this lovely young creature?” She reminded Mr. Brodie of a delicate, porcelain doll.

 

“Father, may I introduce Ms. Emilie Rose Livingstone. She and I are engaged to be married,” Drake responded delightfully. “Emilie, my father Mr. James Brodie...” Removing her right glove, Emilie extended a hand in greeting and curtsied.

 

“Very pleased to meet you Mr. James Brodie… Drake has spoken very highly about you.” And yet he hasn’t told me anything about you. Her hand felt soft and warm in his. James enjoyed its touch.

 

The staff lined off in the background looked at each other amazed at this revelation. Gloria smiled.

 

Mr. Brodie was certainly surprised himself, “Ms. Livingstone very nice to meet you as well. Drake only wrote to me of your coming but neglected to inform me that the two of you are betrothed,” he said in a restrained tone.

 

“Forgive me father, it was meant to be a happy surprise.”

 

“Well we are definitely surprised,” James said clearing his throat.

 

English customs dictated that engaged partners are to inform both parental sides about the upcoming nuptials. Drake always broke the rules whenever it suited him Sara thought – and as usual father will let him get away with it.

 

Emilie quickly decided to change the subject…slightly. “My father, Mr. Isaac Livingstone, is quite ill at the moment but I still insisted on coming with Drake. I just had to see my future husband’s birthplace and meet his family.”

 

“Emilie’s Aunt Diana is acting as her chaperon since her mom was unable to make the journey.”

 

 

Aunt Diana was busy instructing George and Robert in the proper manner of dislodging their luggage, which were tied securely at the back of the carriage. As the men proceeded to lug the luggage inside Ms. Diana Livingstone made her introductions.

 

From her head to her toes she was covered in black attire. James thought the ensemble must be Queen Victoria inspired but it was really homage to her fiancé, Mr. Robert Kelly, who died a week before they were to be married. Her appearance and mannerism made Mr. Brodie feel that she would be a strict chaperon.

 

“I’m very sorry to hear about your father’s illness my dear and I hope he gets well soon. Still we are happy to have you all here and certainly believe that you will enjoy your stay with us.”

 

“Mr. Brodie so far your residence seems suitable enough,” Aunt Diana said pointedly.

 

“I’m glad it’s to your liking Ms. Livingstone,” he said giving a slight nod.

 

“Emilie, Aunt Diana, this is my sister Mrs. Sara Lewis.”

 

“A very pleasant welcome to you and your Aunt Diana,” Sara said nodding her head. She was attired in a pleated red dress with matching bonnet and gloves.  “My little brother has always been full of surprises.”  

“Drake has also remarked pleasantly about you.”   

“It’s very nice to hear that my brother speaks so well of me,” Sara said forcing a smile. Drake didn’t respond verbally but let out a low chuckle.

 

Ignoring him Sara continued, “I’m sorry that my husband, Mr. Gregory Lewis, was unable to join us. He’s busy taking care of our merchandising store. He’ll join us later for the evening meal.”

 

“I will look forward to meeting him then.”

 

Drake’s and Sara’s relationship can only be described as being strenuous. Since the day of his birth Sara looked at him as an adversary and the fact that he was born a boy played a major part in that thought process. James indulged Drake’s every whim even allowing him to run around with the servants namely Eliza – her mother’s illness had definitely played a hand in that development. He was also the heir to James’s import/export establishment which her husband craved to become a part of. Drake’s sudden return would surely put a wrinkle in their dreams. She really had to figure out what he was planning to do.

 

While Aunt Diana stayed behind to talk to James and Sara, Drake and Emilie approached the estate’s staff. There was Aunt Bessie – steward of the household and in charge of his mother’s care. Ms. Olivia, George’s wife, took care of the rooms. Her son Ezekiel whom he surmised was about 8 years old. Poor little boy soon it will be time for him to be dragged off to the mahogany camp which his Uncle Arthur operated. Last but certainly not least was their daughter Gloria who gave him a come hither look. He did notice however that two important ladies were absent. He wanted to question Aunt Bessie but at the moment decided against it. Why worry maybe they were inside preparing dinner. He would find out eventually.

 

In the meantime Emilie didn’t know quite what to do when she was introduced to everyone else. It was the first time that her eyes had come across actual black people. Reading about them living in Africa and rarely seeing them in passing couldn’t be considered a real introduction.  She stood by his side and politely nodded her head as Drake spoke highly of each in turn; hearkening back to his childhood days.

 

Introductions completed it was time for everyone to go inside.

 

“My dear you must be tired from the long journey Aunt Bessie will show you and Aunt Diana to your rooms. I’ll see you at mealtime,” Drake said as he touched her cheek.

 

“I’ll certainly want to see you much earlier.”

 

“Come along Emilie Rose. The heat here is already stifling,” Aunt Diana said as she took out a handkerchief to wipe her brow. Emily sighed as she obediently followed.

 

“I’m sure after a week or two the both of you will become adjusted to the climate. Being here is a different world after all,” Sara said.

 

“It is certainly different from where we live and yet I feel at home because this is Drake’s home.” Sara wanted to hurl.

 

“Emilie, how long is Mr. Brodie planning to stay?”

 

“We’ll return to England in May before the rainy season begins.”

 

“Emilie that will really give us an opportunity to get to know each other very well,” Sara said excitedly.

 

“Yes indeed and you can also give me some ideas on…”

 

 

Their voices trailed off and only James and Drake remained outside talking.

 

“Father where are Ms. Edith and Eliza?”              

 

“I believe that Eliza is still in the kitchen as for Edith…well… son I’m sorry to tell you…she died a couple of years ago.” The news stunned Drake and he could have sworn he heard a tinge of hurt in his father’s voice.

 

“No…no…she can’t be dead or you would have told me when it happened,” Drake said tearfully.

 

“Son...I’m truly sorry…but I couldn’t tell you…” The conversation was ended as James turned around and went inside. Drake was left alone to reflect.

 

From the day he was born his mother remained confined to her room only venturing out on the balcony for a little fresh air and some much needed sunlight. Only Aunt Bessie was allowed to attend to her care but Mr. Brodie visited when he felt the need to do so. Ms. Edith became a mother to him. She gave him love and attention when he desperately needed someone to be there.   

 

“Mamma I can’t believe that you’re gone. Mamma…” He felt numb eyes became filled with tears. This wasn’t a happy home coming after all. He had stayed away too long.

  

“Gloria, I’m warning you don’t say anything to Eliza,” Aunt Bessie said as they entered the kitchen. Gloria ignored the caution.

 

“She needs to know about our long, lost friend. She’ll find out in due time but I want be first to tell her.” Eliza didn’t look at her.

 

“Eliza, guess who Mr. Drake Brodie brought home with him.” Eliza didn’t respond. “Mr. Brodie told us that he was bringing along two women. Well guess what, one of them is his blushing bride-to-be. I couldn’t believe it myself. Eliza you should see her skin white as the clouds in the sky and her beautiful hair dark as the night.” Gloria laughed heartily. If the news had stunned Eliza she was doing a pretty good job of not showing its effects.

 

“You are quite the poet Gloria but it needs a little work. Drake has a life to live and so do the rest of us. How could you forget? I’m black…he’s white. We all know our place...don’t we?” 

 

“Why you…”

 

“Gloria you’ve had your fun now go outside and fetch the water for cooking,” Aunt Bessie said quickly. Gloria obeyed and passed Eliza seething – she didn’t quite have her fun.

 

“It doesn’t matter Aunt Bessie. Gloria can believe what she wants to believe but it isn’t and has never been true. I’m not like her going after all these white men.”

 

“Hush! Eliza, don’t speak about things that you don’t know anything about!”

“I’ll go attend to Mrs. Brodie but will return shortly. Don’t let Gloria get to you and I don’t want you to speak like that in front of me ever again.”

 

“Yes ma’am.”

 

Regardless of what her Aunt said she knew all about Gloria and her deeds. Thanks to Matilda she knew about a lot of things that neither her mother nor Aunt Bessie wanted to tell her about.

 

Nevertheless Eliza went back to her chopping – first cutting up more carrots and now the potatoes. She wondered why Gloria hadn’t return with the water as yet. It was short walk to the water pump…probably flirting with Robert. She only flirted when she needed or wanted something. On the other hand, Robert was such a fool messing around with that whore of Babylon. Still with so many men away it offered a lot of opportunities humph maybe he’s not a fool after all…Eliza smiled.

 

Suddenly she felt that she wasn’t alone in her thoughts anymore. She slowly lifted her head and saw two inflamed blue eyes solemnly staring back at her. Crew cut sandy blonde hair and pale skin dressed in a dark suit completed the vision. It looked like he was leaning against the doorframe for support.

He looked at curious chocolate-brown eyes staring back at him. Could it possibly be Eliza? Notwithstanding the servants clothing, she had definitely grown into a lovely young woman. And yet she looks at me like a stranger. I’ve been away too long. 

“Good Afternoon Sir. Are you feeling alright?”

 

“You refer to me as sir but don’t you remember me as Drake?” Everything had changed including his voice.

 

“Sir it is not this servant’s place to call her employer by his Christian name.”

 

“From this moment on you should refer to me as Drake,” he said in an irritated voice but softened his tone seeing her incredulous stare. “Eliza you are not my servant. We knew each other well before I went away. Speak to me as you would a friend.”

 

What did he just say? Friend? Know your place. These people can never be your friend. “Alright Mr. …I mean D-Dr-Drake.”

 

He approached the table and stood across from her. “I was just informed by my father that Ms. Edith died a couple of years ago.”

 

“Yes it was a tragic passing but death has always been a part of life.” She responded bravely lowering her gaze.

 

“By your response it seems that you’ve had enough time to deal with her death but I’ve just began to feel its effects. It’s still strange that father never wrote about her passing in his letters,” he said softly.

 

“Mr. Brodie knew what would be the consequence of that action. You would be returning home and not wanting to go back to England. England is your home now. There isn’t anything left here for you Drake… only pain and sorrow.”

 

“You’ve always been very wise Eliza but this time you’re sorely mistaken. There is something left here for me,” Drake said as he touched her sprawled out fingers lightly. His voice…his stare…his touch…she started to feel something that she hadn’t felt before in her life. She didn’t know what it was and abruptly pulled back her hand.

 

“There you are!” The sudden appearance of Emilie made them both flinch.

 

Emilie had changed into a light blue day dress and a straw bonnet. A lace parasol stood unopened by her side. As Gloria stated she was indeed very beautiful. Eliza consciously touched her head scarf and smoothed out her simple flowery printed dress with its beige apron.

 

“I…I thought you were resting my dear,” Drake said nervously as he hurriedly turned his gaze away from Eliza.

 

“My Aunt Diana is the one quietly taking a nap…thank goodness. It is certainly a great opportunity for you to give me a guided tour of this beautiful estate.” Emilie finally noticed the dark beauty. “Who is this?”

 

“My dear this is Eliza. Her mother, Ms. Edith formally raised me. I just learnt that she died a couple of years ago.”

 

“Oh I’m sorry for the both of you,” she remarked sincerely. She strode to his side caressing his forearm and looked over at Eliza.

 

“Thank you mistress,” Eliza said with a little nod.

 

In the back of her mind Emilie felt that there was something amidst between the two of them but she wasn’t sure. “So Eliza is like your sister.”

 

“Yes you could say that,” Drake said with a quirky smile glancing at Eliza. He couldn’t help it. He was feeling…something. How could he be feeling…something?

 

“Your sister suggested that I request Eliza’s assistance to attend to my needs. What do you think? Is she capable?” Another look… Eliza stood expressionless.

 

“While her suggestion might be good, I truly believe that Ms. Olivia is more capable of taking care of you,” Drake said glancing at Eliza. Did he just wink at me? He did it so quickly that Eliza wondered if her eyes betrayed her. “My dear it’s really your decision regardless.”

 

“I think you know what’s best for me. I’ll follow your suggestion.”

 

“Excellent choice… By the way where is that helpful sister of mine?”

 

“She has returned to her home. Well how about giving me that tour.”

 

“I think we can take a short tour before dinner. And Eliza I’ll see you later.”

 

“Again it was nice meeting you Eliza. I’m sure we’ll be seeing each other again really soon.” Eliza nodded her head once more and gave a slight smile.

As she watched them leave she wondered about that strange feeling but immediately brushed it aside as nothing. As for Sara…that witch… 

Chapter 3 by chocolate470

The Brodie Estate lied on a huge plot of prime real estate – relatively a thirty minute walk from the center of town. It was first built in 1800 by Drake’s grandfather Henry Brodie as a wedding gift for his wife Mrs. Alice Brodie nee Parker. Over the years it has endured its share of reconstruction and add-ons but has always stayed true to its original purpose of housing the Brodie family.

The four bedroom British colonial styled home displayed a wide porch, high ceilings, and windows flanked by wooden jalousies. Each room featured mahogany fashioned furniture and area rugs covered stained wood flooring. Walls were decorated with flowery-patterned wallpaper while linen drapery flowed from the windows. The four bedrooms had a view of the picturesque estate grounds and the Bay’s Old River that emptied out into the Caribbean Sea. The kitchen, washroom, and servants’ quarters were located at the back of the main building.  

Its immaculate grounds were landscaped with an English rose garden in the center while the edges of the property featured native flowers and fruit bearing trees.

On the banks of the river Mr. Brodie had a pier and a small grass hut constructed to moor his pleasure boat and temporarily house supplies for his weekend trips to St. George’s Caye.

 

“This estate is spectacular. We should visit your parents every year whenever we are able to do it.”

 

But as they strolled along the opulent surroundings Drake’s mind drifted to a time and a promise he was never able to keep.

“You’re going away to become a man.” 

“I’m going to miss you and Eliza very much.” 

“Ah…when you get over there and see all those pretty ladies you’ll forget.” 

“Never Mamma Edith…I can never forget about you.”  

“Drake…Drake…It seems I’ve lost my trusty guide,” Emilie sighed and closed her parasol.

 

He heard her sigh and his mind came back to the present. “I’m sorry my dear what did you say?”

 

“It’s a warm day. Let’s sit over there by the rose garden. It looks very lovely,” Emilie said taking a hold of his left arm and leading the way. They felt a slight breeze blowing in from the river as they stretched out along a nice wooden bench – Drake on one side with Emilie leaning comfortably against his chest.

 

“You really miss her a lot don’t you. During our tour your mind has often strayed and your eyes tell me how you are feeling.”

 

“Let’s not speak of unpleasant things anymore.” He couldn’t talk to her about Ms. Edith. She didn’t know anything about her and wouldn’t understand. “You know my great-grandfather was once a buccaneer but grew wary of pillaging the Spanish ships so he decided to pillage the land instead.”

 

“So within you lies a rebellious soul.”

 

“Partly…every generation that rebellious spirit diminishes. Still I find that Brodie men believe that some rules are meant to be broken…once in awhile,” he said with a wry smile.

 

“I find your family history quite interesting compared to mine. You’ve always opened my eyes to new worlds and new possibilities and that’s why you’ve captured my heart.” Drake didn’t respond but simply placed a small kiss on her forehead. “Those roses are exquisite,” Emilie said rising to get a better view of the red and white bouquets.

 

“They were planted here especially for my mother. She always loved roses so I was told.”

 

“I wish you would go and see her Drake then I would be introduced as well,” Emilie pleaded turning around and clasping his hands.

 

Drake pulled his hand gently away and said, “My dear that wouldn’t be such a great idea. I prefer to see her alone at first.”

 

“Am I so young and inexperienced that you feel the need to protect me from other parts of yourself?” Her eyes became full. Drake stared into her tear-filled irises stroking her hair. “As your future wife I deserve to know all there is.”

 

“Emilie Rose! Emilie Rose!” She could hear her Aunt Diana calling. Drake’s heart was relieved.

 

“I don’t think your Aunt will take kindly to you running off to spend some alone time with me. I fear this episode might go down on some record she may be keeping.”

 

She kissed him lightly on the lips then exclaimed, “I can’t wait for us to be man and wife! I’m tired of all these silly rules! Like you said some rules are definitely meant to be broken!” she yelled as she left. “I’m coming Aunt Diana!” Drake chuckled. She still reminded him of a vivacious school girl. They were both young but sometimes he felt that he was years ahead of her in maturity and there were still parts of himself that he didn’t want to reveal to her.

 

There were only two persons that knew him better than anyone else ever could. One had died and the other…well his eyes had recently gazed upon the womanly version of the child he left behind.  Those striking chocolate brown eyes – her lips…tempted to trace along its edges with his fingertips but most of all her body curved into…damn Drake why are you having these elicit thoughts…get a hold of yourself. He stood up and took a deep breath before going inside.

 

“Why are your eyes looking outside?” Aunt Bessie asked.

“Watching the sky maybe rain will soon be coming. I can smell it in the air.”  

 

The heat of the day made the kitchen a little unbearable. All one could do was keep the back door ajar and wipe away the sweat periodically. At least the cooking was almost finished.

 

“At last…Matilda! I thought you got lost long the way.”

 

  

Matilda came into the kitchen with sweat streaming down her face trying to catch her second wind.  Eliza brought her a glass of water as she sat down.

“My lawd it hot out there!” She saw the look on Aunt Bessie’s face. “Auntie Bessie before you go down my throat Mr. Lewis got me doing things round the shop.”

 

“I send you to pick up medicine for Mrs. Brodie… not to help round the shop.”

 

“Tell him that!”

 

“No back talk! I’m the wrong one you messing with!” Matilda held her tongue. She was always known for getting into trouble with her tongue but she and Eliza managed to get along well. “I only tolerate your presence because of my son.” She checked the medicine and saw that everything was correct. “I don’t know what’s wrong with you girls today,” she muttered before leaving.

 

 

After regaining her composure Matilda proceeded to put on her apron and took out a bowl, some flour, and a bottle of strawberry jam from the cupboard placing them on the kitchen table. She then went to the counter to get a bottle of milk and some eggs from the basket.

 

“Don’t think I haven’t heard? The witch talk on and on bout Drake coming home.”

 

“She should be happy,” Eliza said her eyes focused on the cooking pot.

 

“When it comes to Drake she never happy?”

“So how you feeling?”

 

“I don’t know what you talking bout?”

 

“I remember you sad for two years after he left.” Eliza smirked. “I know you. The years gone but feeling the same,” she whispered.

 

“You crazy Matilda!” she yelled turning around. “I was a girl when he left. Unlike you I still don’t know much bout men or real life.”

 

“That’ll soon change,” she smiled, “I heard that you and Drake were pretty close.”

 

“Idle gossip… of course we were. He is like my brother. Remember my mother help raise him.” Matilda looked at her strangely causing Eliza to yell again, “Matilda, we have work to do! Besides I have Will to take care of me now.” Will was her new love interest of over a year. He was out working in the mahogany camps.

 

“Will is away,” Matilda replied.

 

“I still think bout him everyday. When he comes home I’m sure we’ll get married and live in Eboe Town,” she said stirring the pot. “Drake is getting married too,” she quickly added.

 

Matilda couldn’t believe it. “What?! I missed that part of the conversation. How does she look?”

 

“She looks like Mr. Barton’s daughter, Helen.”

 

“Humph…I see.” She was giving the dough a good kneading.

 

“You meet her soon enough.”

 

“You two should stop talking and continue your work,” Gloria said entering the kitchen with some serving trays and exiting again.

 

Matilda mimicked after her making Eliza laugh but her tone changed again. “Drake took my mother’s death pretty hard.”

 

“Huh? He just heard bout that? He be looking to someone for comfort…bride or no bride. These white boys love a bit of dark meat before the wedding.”

 

Eliza didn’t like where the conversation was headed again so she said, “Very interesting that you took so long at Mr. Lewis’ shop.”

 

“It’s my business. Just like Drake will be your business…”

 

Evening… 

“Here are your boots Mr. Brodie.”

 

“I see you’ve polished them off nicely. You did a very good job Ezekiel.” Drake retrieved a bag filled with marbles from his half-opened trunk. Ezekiel’s eyes lighted up as he surveyed each marble in turn. It was the best gift he had ever received.

 

  

“Thank you sir! I promise to take good care of them.” 

“They are all yours so you can do whatever you like with them.”

“Ezekiel I’m not as old as my father as yet so at least call me Mr. Drake.”

 

“Ok.”

 

Drake heard voices coming from the downstairs. The evening’s guests were steadily arriving. George and Robert were serving cocktails to each arrival as they greeted one another.

 

Sooner or later he would have to make his grand appearance. Ezekiel handed him his coat after he tied his cravat.

 

“I believe I’m set for the evening so you may go off to bed.” Drake watched as Ezekiel left happily examining his marbles again and again.

 

He confidently walked down the stairs and began greeting the well wishers and old school friends. Emilie basked by his side wearing a white, silk evening dress with hair parted in the center and turned up at the sides.

 

“We’re happy to see you home.”

 

“Well I’m happy to be home.”

“Jonathan, great to see my good friend again,” Drake said giving him a firm handshake and a hug.

 

  

“It’s been too long.”

“And I see you have a beautiful partner at your side.”

“I can say the same about you.” 

Jonathan introduced his wife Amy, a shy, giggly red head while Drake did the same with Emilie. The two ladies exchanged pleasantries.

 

“Everyone please come and take your seats at the dining room table. Dinner will soon be served.” Aunt Bessie announced.

 

A glimpse into the Brodie Mahogany Campsite… 

“All parts of me are aching right now. I think I’m getting too old for this sort of work.”

 

“You know that means back at Mr. Brodie’s place where more work will be waiting.”

 

“Anything compared to this hard life.”

 

“I thought you’d be used to it…after all these years of debt and great job Mr. Amos.” Amos laughed at Will’s conjecture.

 

They were sitting by the campfire while the others were getting ready to turn in. The fire kept away animals such as the jaguar while the smoke helped with the mosquitoes.

 

The ‘hard life’ Amos spoke of called for going to bed early. It was a life that the men expected and had grown accustomed to. Knowledge of coping was passed on from their grandfathers and fathers. Well for most of them.

 

As the fire light danced and the wood crackled Amos reflected. “I never really knew my father.”

 

“Why is that Amos?”

 

“As a slave he ran away to Mexico a long time ago. Remember him being a big, strong man with a deep voice. Till the day she died my mother told me to never fault him for going away. He had a lot of pride and felt helpless not being able to take care of us properly.”

 

“I hope I never feel that way.”

 

“Hey Amos...”

 

“Hey Moses…”

 

“You men still up.”

 

“Yeah just talking bout life...”

 

“Amos you’re talking to my niece’s future husband.”

 

“He finally decided to take that step.”

 

“Will is a good man,” Moses said patting Will on the shoulder.

 

“Eliza very pretty woman,” Amos said giving Will a nudge.

 

“She’s more than pretty. She can take care of a home. All of us men need that in this forsaken existence.”

  

“I believe that you gentlemen need a little more than that,” said a lovely black woman clad in a tight bodice black dress.

 

“Margaret? Didn’t expect you this evening,” Amos said surprised. All the men murmured in the background.

 

“Well the boss man is feeling happy and he let me bring along some ladies.” The men whistled with delight when they saw the rest of the women. “Sorry no rum included you have to work in the morning…just our sweet company.”

 

“I’m too old for this,” Moses said stretching and yawning, “I’m going to bed. You fellows enjoy yourselves.”

 

“Right now I’m not too old for anything,” Amos rebutted forgetting all about his body aches.

 

 

Brodie Estate…

The candles burned brightly and the dinner that started off with pea soup followed by the main entrée of pork and beef served with vegetables…was almost over. Light conversation and laughter could be heard around the large table where Mr. Brodie sat at the head of the table and the ten other guests sipped on red wine and finished off their meal. 

“Look at the beautiful pipe that Drake brought me.”

 

“Emilie helped me pick it out.”

 

“Well I certainly hope it’s a show piece,” Sara said a little perturbed. It seemed that Drake hadn’t thought about bringing her anything. “Father didn’t Dr. Emory tell you to stay away from the tobacco for health reasons?”

 

“As if you want me to live that long,” James responded annoyed. “Drake it’s a great gift. I hardly smoke anymore and that’s good enough.”

 

“How could you not think about the rest of your friends?” Ben said loudly. He was an old school chum of Drake’s and one of the most boisterous.

 

“I thought the French wine at the table would have sufficed,” Drake responded.

 

“Red wine? What about the rum…,” Ben said thereafter trilling an old pirate tune very badly. It made everyone break out into resounding laughter.

 

When the laughter died down Aunt Diana asked, “Mr. Brodie, how does one earn a living in this hot and humid climate?”

 

“Forestry my good lady... My brother Col. Arthur and I are involved in a partnership. He deals with the mahogany camps and I take care of the business end. I also import goods for the colony.” Mr. Brodie glanced at Drake then Emilie sitting side by side…wondering. “So how long have you two been engaged?”

 

“For about a year or so...”

 

“That isn’t correct Drake. It’s been one year and six months,” Emilie said.

 

“It’s been that long? I really hadn’t noticed.”

 

“Our good friend Drake is losing his memory,” Ben chimed in.

 

“It is strange that your son is taking so long to marry my niece.”

 

“Drake does have a way of dragging his feet when it comes to making important decisions. Sometimes I wonder what’s going in that head of his,” Sara said nonchalantly.

 

“And his shameless display with those darkies makes me wonder if he understands the way things are.” Emilie almost choked at her Aunt’s comment. The once merry guests became very quiet.

 

Drake’s mood quickly changed. “Sara, first and foremost things have to be settled in my life,” he argued throwing down his fork. “Unlike your husband I’m not going to place my wife in an absurd situation.”

 

“Hold on just one minute…,” Gregory countered.

 

Drake ignoring him continued, “As for you madam like it or not I consider those persons a part of my extended family. You need to understand the way things are…slavery is over! We are all God’s creatures no matter the color of our skin!”

 

“God made us superior to them. They look to us for training and guidance and we shouldn’t associate with them on any other level.”

 

It was an odd back and forth and the guests prepared for Drake’s rebuttal. His face was flushed with anger.

 

“Madam if you were not Emilie’s Aunt…”

 

“Drake Brodie this is still my home! Show some upbringing!”

 

Drake felt his father’s voice echo inside of him. It calmed him down for the moment but he couldn’t help but think that it was Ms. Edith that raised him certainly not his father.

 

“I’m sorry everyone but I’ve gotten my fill of this evening’s festivities. It was really great seeing all of you but maybe we can do this some other time.” He stood up abruptly and left the table.

 

“Drake!” Emilie yelled and started to rise but her Aunt held her back.

 

“Leave him be and finish eating. It’s not good etiquette for a young lady to chase after a man.” Emilie obeyed but felt embarrassed that her Aunt had been the cause of the cheerless mood.

 

“I sincerely apologize to all present for my son’s offensive behavior,” James said rising and throwing his napkin on the table. “I’ll go request that the servants clear the table so that dessert can be served. Carry on. There is no reason why this evening should end on an unhappy note.”

  

Eliza, Matilda and Gloria were busy washing the dishes and glasses from the earlier service while Aunt Bessie and Ms. Olivia were attending to Ms. Elizabeth upstairs.

 

 

 

Soon George and Robert entered the kitchen with a whole new set of dirtied dishes and collected the dessert trays.

 

“Is this night ever going to end?” Matilda remarked

 

“I’m not feeling well at all,” Gloria said in a tired voice touching her forehead.

 

“Here it comes,” Matilda whispered to Eliza.

 

“My head is hurting and I need to lie down for a little bit.”

 

“Gloria you can’t do that now. Look at all this work and we still need to prepare the drawing room,” Eliza said miffed. Instead of responding Gloria took off her apron and left the room. “Aunt Bessie and Ms. Olivia should have been down here to see this. One of these days I’m going to sock her in the mouth.”

 

“You’re taking too long to do it. I can do it for you…just say the word.”

 

“You love getting into trouble. No wonder my Cousin Matthew enjoys going back to camp.”

 

“Please my husband enjoys all of this brown sugar,” Matilda said sliding her arms up and down her body. Eliza giggled. “You want to know what we do on the night before he left.”

 

“I don’t think I want to hear it right now,” she said still smiling, “There is too much to do.”

 

“Go ahead and take care of the drawing room…I’ll handle the dishes.”

 

Meanwhile…

Jonathan found him seemingly in deep thought. The sorrow had returned again. The more Drake thought about it the more he hated his father for keeping that sad news away from him. He had to go outside and take a deep breath. His jacket and vest discarded he stood on the verandah gazing out as far as his eyes could see. 

“You’re missing dessert.”

 

“I’m not hungry anymore.”

 

“Aunt Diana was clearly out of line but you shouldn’t have given any thought to what she said. She comes from an old way of thinking and will staunchly defend it regardless of what you say.”

 

“Don’t make me laugh Jonathan. We still practice many of those same old traditions today.”

 

“Ok then… she reminds us where we still are. It’s not going to change overnight.”

 

“I just found out today that Ms. Edith passed on two years ago. Father didn’t have the decency to write me about it,” he said disgusted.

 

“Now I understand your reaction more clearly,” he said putting a comforting arm around his shoulders.

 

“I was too caught up with my English affairs that I put off coming home for a visit. You know what she meant to me. Ah…,” Drake sighed. “All those memories are coming back…”

 

“It’s not your fault. Sometimes we neglect those we care about and it costs us. She would want you and Eliza to live on. Are you going to be alright? Amy must be wondering where I am by now.”  

 

“I’m going to be alright. Thanks for being a great friend Jonathan.”

 

Jonathan patted his back and said, “Please grace us with your presence once more. After all it’s your celebration.”

  

Five minutes later…

 

Two slender arms encircled his waist.

 

“I thought you deserved a hug after all that occurred. Aunt Diana can be so cruel sometimes. Sometimes I truly believe that she’s happy when others are unhappy. My mother gave me a poor chaperon substitute.”

 

Drake spun around and gave her a romantic kiss. He thought he had been quite foolish in creating doubts about their relationship when there wasn’t anything really to worry about – wedding jitters. She risked the threat of her Aunt’s chastisement to provide him much needed comfort.

 

“I haven’t received one of those in a long while.”

 

“We both deserved it.”

 

“I believe it’s time to go back inside.”

 

“You should thank your friend Ben for resurrecting the mood of the dinner party.”

 

“One bottle of rum will do.” They both had a good laugh.

 

Emilie assisted him with his vest and jacket and they walked back inside with the palm of his right hand on the small of her back. He caught sight of Eliza as she was about to bend the corner. Suddenly she half-turned and their eyes locked in together. She opened her mouth as if to speak but thought better of it before disappearing.

“Emilie, could you please go ahead me? There is something that I need to take care of.” She gazed at him warily but he allayed her fears with a reassuring kiss. “I’ll join up with everyone real soon.”  

Chapter 4 by chocolate470

She hoped he wouldn’t follow and when he didn’t a relieved sigh past her lips. With the wine glasses and a bottle of sherry already placed in the middle of the center table all that remained to be accomplished was the lighting of the bracket lamps that encircled the room.

 

Drake entered the drawing room seemingly noiselessly but Eliza already received a hint of his presence from the smell of his Eau de Cologne. She braced herself for another encounter as she replaced the last lamp chimney.

 

“I don’t mean to interfere with your work. I just wanted to offer you this gift.” 

 

A sparkling gold locket and chain dangled from his fingers. Eliza turned and approached him cautiously then proceeded to carefully grasped it in the palm of her hand. She refrained from opening its clasp; the detailed engraving of a bouquet of roses on its face was exquisite enough.

 

“A gift for me? It’s very beautiful Drake…thank you….thank you so much.”

 

“I believe you deserve a gift. I didn’t know what to bring for you and Ms E…” Drake’s features changed immediately. “Eliza please…you may be the only one that can say how and why she died,” he pleaded.

 

“Drake, don’t ask this of me. It’s hard for me to speak about that… painful memory,” she replied softly.

 

“In the past you and I could always speak to each other plainly. Ms. Edith was as good a mother-figure to me as she was a mother to you. I don’t why but I need to know…please…”

 

Eliza saw the anguished expression that covered his handsome face and resolved to tell him whatever her mind would bring to bear. She walked passed the piano over to the settee where she seated herself. Drake sat next to her and waited for her chronicle.

 

“All of us believed that it was just a fever. Earlier that morning she had complained of not feeling well and by the afternoon she took to her bed. A couple of days went by and the fever got progressively worst and she became very weak. We applied cold water to her forehead and boiled herbs for her to drink but nothing seemed to work at that time.  She started hallucinating and was even more listless than before. I refused to be moved from her side.”

 

“Didn’t my father send for a doctor?”

   

“Yes he did but when Dr. Emory arrived it was much too late. As Aunt Bessie would say mamma was already traveling on her way home. She began seeing and saying things from her past; talking to people that weren’t present – one of those persons was my grandmother that died so many years ago. The night she saw my father standing at her bedroom door I felt that she was near the end…she said…God help me…”

 

Drake leaned in closer and wrapped his arms around her shoulders as grief took hold of their hearts.

 

“She said…isn’t our daughter, Eliza beautiful…She looked at me smiling and then…she was gone.” Tears flowed freely and Drake squeezed her tightly. “Aunt Bessie was there with me but at that moment I felt so alone. I miss her so much.”

 

“As do I…”

 

Drake lifted her chin and she gazed into his blue eyes filled with sadness perhaps regret. “I’m sorry that I wasn’t here for you.”

 

“It happened so quickly. You couldn’t have sailed home fast enough.”

 

“But still if I had known I would have come and provided some comfort…”

 

Gently cupping the side of her face he closed his eyes and leaned in grazing his tongue against her supple lips. She let out a small sigh…an invitation for him to push his tongue further inside touching his tongue with hers. She tasted of sweet strawberries while he of fine red wine. Letting go they looked at each other confused. Drake dispelled the tension by uttering a low chuckle. Eliza followed his lead.

 

“It’s amazing what momentary grief can do to someone.”

 

“It is but I have no regrets. I’ve missed you very much.”

 

“Neither do I…I’ve missed you too.” He balanced her hands carefully within his and asked, “So may I consider you my good friend again? Imposing on your company from time to time?”

 

“When I first heard you were returning I didn’t know what to expect when I first saw you. I had to be cautious in my behavior towards you.”

 

“Four years do seem like a long time to be far away from home.”

 

“Especially when you are in a different place and those you grew up with are no longer around you.”

 

“I could have never replaced this place, Ms. Edith…you in my memory.”

 

“I see that now. Therefore, yes we are friends again and you may also impose upon my company…within reason,” she smiled, “Still I don’t know what type of friend I may be to you given our situations.”

 

“Eliza, you are speaking foolishly. I have always considered you a great friend and whatever you ask of me I will give it to you even if it means leaving this place.”

 

Suddenly Eliza became apprehensive. This wasn’t the first time he had spoken those words. “Drake I’m happy. The only people and family I have known dwell here. My father and mother are buried here. Why would I want to be anyplace else…”

 

He couldn’t believe for one moment the happy part but did acknowledge that she would feel uncomfortable in an unfamiliar place. Hearing the ladies approaching they resumed their standing positions and bade each other a good evening.   

 

On her way back to the kitchen Eliza stumbled into the chattering foursome that was exclusionary of Aunt Diana who had retired for the evening.

 

“Goodnight ladies.” The others responded the same except Emilie who regarded her with a quizzical eye.

 

“Eliza have you seen my fiancé recently?” She whiffed his familiar scent.

 

“Yes mistress. He is currently in the drawing room.”

 

“A good a place as any to keep a low profile,” Ana Lancaster smiled.

 

“Yes it is,” she said still feeling a bit embarrassed. “Thank you Eliza you may continue onward.” Eliza nodded her head and moved on. Emilie glanced after her and wondered. Thereafter she chided herself for being preoccupied about this servant’s dealings with Drake. He did say that she was like a sister to him.

   

Eliza pulled short of the kitchen and took a slow deep breath. After her talk with Drake her heart felt at ease but was surprised that the memory of their kiss still lingered on her lips. Will has never kissed me in that way. Her fingertips moved upwards to feel its memory and found that the locket was still laced between her fingers. She looked at it once more before depositing it into her apron pocket.

 

 “You took your time in the drawing room,” Matilda observed as she entered.

 

“Sorry I took so long,” Eliza said as she started to clean the plates.

 

“You’ve been up to something and you don’t want to tell me.”

 

“Why you say that?”

 

“Number one you can’t look in me face and number two you smell different.”

 

“Alright Mr. Brodie gave me a hug. He asked me bout mother’s death and I broke down.”

 

“The older or the younger?”

 

“The younger of course…” Eliza responded playing along.

 

“It’s good to have a shoulder to cry on. You have two months to do it.” Eliza just shook her head and went about her business of cleaning.

  

Emilie found Drake already drinking a glass of sherry as she and the ladies entered the drawing room.

 

“Hi ladies,” Drake greeted them casually.

 

“I remember you saying that you’ll be rejoining us in the dining room,” Emilie enquired.

 

“My task took a little longer than I assumed,” he responded reservedly.

“Ladies if you’ll excuse me I’ll join the men in the dining room.”

  

“When I left him a while ago he was feeling much better,” pondered Emilie.

 

“Don’t fret over it Emilie; men have always been a complication,” Ana said as the women seated themselves around the center table.

 

“I must say this has been the most eventful dinner party I have attended in a long while.” Ana’s sister Clara commented.

 

“I believe that we should keep this evening’s events to ourselves or we may never be invited again.”

 

“That’s very true my dear sister…There are very few of us in attendance and Mr. Brodie could easily cast a suspicious eye on anyone of us if knowledge of these events were to be repeated publicly.”

 

Ana poured the ladies each a glass of sherry and requested that Clara entertain them with her piano play. She agreed happily wanting to show off her talents to Emilie.

  

George caught up with Drake in the hallway and said, “Excuse me… Mr. Brodie, your father requests your presence in the study.”

 

The Study… 

“Father, George said that you wanted to see me?” He found James standing behind his desk with a stern look affixed to his face.

 

“Hey Maxwell,” Drake greeted James’ old English bulldog who seemed to remember him very well as he wagged his tail. “Old chap you’re keeping well,” he said scratching its forehead.

 

He found it odd that his sister Sara was also present. His father was definitely going to give them a lecture about keeping up appearances.

 

“It has long been known that the two of you despise each other but I don’t want it being displayed in the presence of mixed company. Two children born of my flesh and yet treat each other like strangers in the streets – but I know full well what this is all about.”

 

“I am the first born of this family and yet Drake is your chief heir just because he’s a man.”

 

“Sara is that all your mind dwells upon?”


“Father the possession of money and property gains one a lot of respect in this colony! You are a member of the Legislative Assembly because of it!” Sara yelled looking very disconsolate. Her father certainly understood this fact to be true. “It is through no fault of my own that I was born a woman?! Is it so wrong of me to want such things? I am your daughter.”

 

“Bravo dear sister…excellent speech. Did you practice long in the mirror before your arrival? If money were a man Sara would get rid of Gregory with a wink and a handshake. We all know why you fancy Gregory over all other suitors.”

 

“I am just as smart and capable as any man!” Sara was livid. “Father, how could you let him speak to me in that manner?! His display at dinner was atrocious and he should be admonished by you more sternly for treating a guest in this house so forcefully.”

 

“Father understood my displeasure! And you had to be the one to add hot coals to the fire!”

 

“Enough of this childish back and forth! I don’t want to hear another condescending word from either of your mouths! This is exactly what I am talking about! For the remainder of Drake’s visit you are both going to behave civilly to one another or so help me I will kick you both out of my will! Do we have an understanding?!”

 

“Of course father…,” Drake said turning up the corners of his mouth into a smile.

 

“Yes father.” Sara felt quite beaten and her issues unresolved. Drake was forever the spoilt child. She had made sure that Gregory was already waiting for her by their carriage. “I’ll take my leave and bid you both a good evening.”

  

“Drake I see you find this situation very amusing.”

 

“Why shouldn’t I? Maybe I should have been born girl and then she wouldn’t hate me as much.”

 

“I will never believe that your sister hates you. She hates the order of things and that is her right.” James also wanted to ask Drake a question. “Have you made a decision about returning to the Bay?”

 

“I haven’t as yet. As you can see Emilie and I will need to have a discussion. I feel that there is still time for me to make that decision.”

 

“Since the news of your upcoming nuptials I fear that there isn’t much time remaining. Either you take up a seat in my company or I look elsewhere.”

 

“Elsewhere being Gregory and Sara…”

 

“Certainly...”

   

“I know he doesn’t want to see me.”

 

“You shouldn’t worry about it Ms. Elizabeth. I’m sure he’ll come and see you,” Aunt Bessie comforted.

 

“My children don’t have any regard for me and why should they. I’m useless to them. I should be locked away in an attic and then they’ll be rid of me once and for all.”

 

“Don’t you want to be around when your grandchildren are born?”

 

“Is Sara with child?”

 

“No but Drake is going to be married soon. His bride-to-be, Emilie has been asking about you.”

 

“Emilie is such a wonderful name but I don’t want her to see me in this condition. It sounds like Drake speaks highly of me.”

 

”You see he does care about his mother.”

 

“I’ll take my medicine now.”

 

Aunt Bessie nodded her head to Ms. Olivia who had stayed around just in case Ms. Elizabeth would prove to be difficult. For now the situation was under control.

  

Dining Room… 

The table was stripped bear and Jonathan, Ben and Thomas sat around its edges conversing and drinking a glass each of Brandy. When they saw Drake enter Ben poured him a glass.

 

“I don’t feel much like drinking this evening,” Drake said sitting down close by Jonathan.

 

“One at least… the mind becomes clearer as the dark liquor swirls around and around.”

 

“I believe the mind grows dimmer and one becomes occupied with slurred speech.” Drake laughed but still accepted the glass and sipped.

 

“Where have you been all this time?”

 

“Receiving a stern lecture from my father and a tongue lashing from my sister…”

 

“Sara will always be the thorn in your side. And that Aunt Diana she’s an old shrew dressed in black,” Ben replied.

 

“Guess who won’t be invited to my home…” All the men agreed.

 

“Emilie is sweet like my Amy and very beautiful.”

 

“You really think so Jonathan.” Jonathan looked at Drake strangely but figured out that Drake was only pulling his leg. They had a small chuckle between them.

 

“How has England been and what have you been doing? Other than getting engaged that is,” Thomas said.

 

“England is far cry from home. It’s filled with culture, fashion and life that move at a faster rate. On one end there are the wealthy socialites and on the other the downtrodden. You might say I lie in between. I’m trying to start up my own business with the monies I’ve saved and building a life for Emilie and I.”

 

“It sounds like you won’t be returning,” Jonathan said.

 

“I haven’t decided. Father is impressing upon me to come back and help run the business.”

 

“What are you going to do?”

 

“I know what I would have done – accept the offer. How many of us have an opportunity to take over such a lucrative venture,” Thomas interjected.

 

“Thomas I’m not my father. He and I believe differently and I don’t know how long we can truly coexist together.”

 

“Then let your sister and her husband have it then. There is no telling how things will go with them at the helm.”

 

“You gentleman bore me. All I want to ask Drake if he has met Queen Victoria and how many women has he bedded during these past four years,” Ben said. He was always the person to give character to a conversation.

 

“Firstly I have never met the queen but I have seen the castle from afar. Secondly a gentleman never kisses or tells about his past affairs but I can say that these ten fingers and toes are insufficient.” The men burst out laughing.

 

“Drake you are such a rogue!” yelled Thomas.

 

“That’s all in the past. It’s time for me to settle down as you have Jonathan.”

 

“Be very careful of your praise Drake,” Ben warned.

 

“As Drake said a gentleman never kisses and tells.” Another outburst of laughter Ben poured another round of drinks although Drake did decline this time.

  

Drawing Room… 

Clara finished her piano recital and Emilie complimented her on her play as she rejoined them at the table.

 

“I must say Emilie that you bear a striking resemblance to Mr. Barton’s daughter, Helen.”

 

“Ana please refrain from mischief making. We’ve had enough for one evening,” Amy boldly retorted.

 

“But its plain as day”

 

“Who is this Helen Barton?” Emilie asked clearly interested.

 

“She was once rumored to be involved with Drake but I don’t believe Drake to be serious minded back then,” Amy answered.

 

“Well I’ve got the man…haven’t I.” The ladies giggled. Emilie certainly could hold her own.

 

Soon they heard men coming in and joining them in the room.

 

“Alright everyone gather round. The hour grows late and I have a tale to tell.”

 

Everyone happily took their respective places. At that time Jonathan was one of the best storytellers in the Bay and he was usually a guest at most parties because of this talent.

 

“Tonight I will tell a tale of why good ladies should always listen to their husbands about not staying up past midnight.” Amy’s cheeks blush bright red.

Here we find Mrs. Grace Kingston – husband Mr. Henry Kingston. Mr. Kingston admonishes his wife to come to bed and refrain from staying up late because she never knows what might occur. I’m neither afraid of man nor beast and besides I’m not out on the streets. I’m here at my own home was her reply. Her husband believes all she wanted to do was spy.Defiantly she sat on her verandah with only her gray cat ‘Boots’ for company. As the hours ticked on she watched the passers by making careful note of Mr. Elliot out and about with pretty Ms. Jane; a woman who was certainly not his wife. 

The guest chuckled amongst each other and Jonathan continued.

The street lamps still blazed and the clock struck one. Suddenly a misty fog appeared and she heard a distinct noise. It sounded like crinoline being brushed against the edges of her Iron Gate heels hitting hard against the cobble stone ground. A lady alone at this hour surely a partner must be at her side unless…At that moment she couldn’t see quite well so she placed ‘Boots’ on the ground and stood up to get a better look.  

Jonathan paused. The ladies yelled anxiously, “What did she see?!”

A lady of course…dressed in velvet her hat laid low over her brow. Mrs. Kingston was concerned of course to see a lady in this mysterious fog out so late without any company. She yelled, it is best that you hurry on home my dear. You never know who might be out in these dimly lit streets. The Velvet Lady didn’t respond but only slowly walked past never turning her head upwards. Mrs. Kingston shrugged her shoulders and decided to retake her seat and didn’t hear the lady again. But wait! What is this? The same exact sound she was hearing again but this time it was faster and louder. The Velvet Lady appeared at her gate. Mrs. Kingston felt the hairs on the back of her head rise as she sat paralyzed to her chair…terrified. The gate flew open with a hard clang and the foggy mist around the Velvet Lady intensified. Mrs. Kingston cowered in fear…unable to speak…unable to move as a horrid face extended a skeletal finger. A ghostly voice replied it is best you heed your own advice and get to bed! Mrs. Kingston could hear a ghastly cackle echoing behind her as she ran under the covers snuggling close to her husband. Nevermore was she seen spying up late. She went to bed promptly at 8. 

That’s all there is…there is no more to tell…

 

The door slammed shut and the ladies screamed.

 

“Ben, you did that on purpose!” yelled Ana.

 

“I certainly did not!” He received the blame because he was standing next to the door.

  

The audience applauded and Jonathan took a bow.

 

“You never fail to amaze me with your great storytelling,” Drake praised.

 

“I thought you would appreciate it.”

 

“I don’t know what time it is but its best that we all try getting home,” Clara said nervously. 

 

“Clara, I’ll protect you from those ghostly creatures,” Thomas offered.

 

“With your cupid’s bow and arrow…Thomas please...”

 

Thomas felt a bit hurt by the rebuff. He was always vying for Clara’s attention but she always viewed him as unworthy of her time and company.

 

“I’m trying my best but I always seem to fail at my attempts.”

 

“I suggest you try the gentleman’s approach,” Drake advised. “A bit of Byron and Keats...” Thomas nodded.

 

Drake and Emilie bid the guests farewell as George and Robert escorted them to their surreys.

 

“I’m going to bed. You’ll give me an escort?” Drake nodded his head yes.

 

He escorted her up by the chamber that she and her Aunt Diana shared for the duration.

 

“Considering everything it was still a good evening. Goodnight my dear.”

 

“Indeed it was. Goodnight my love.”

 

She pursed her lips to receive a kiss but he kissed her on the forehead instead. She stood watching him walk away concerned that a distance was starting to grow between them.

   

The Kitchen… 

“Liza look who coming back,” Matilda whispered mindful of Ms. Olivia’s presence at the other end. They peeked and caught sight of Gloria through the back window. “Watch this…”

 

Matilda carefully took up a basin walked to the backdoor and flung the filthy dishwater through its opening. Gloria screamed.

 

“Who did this?!”

 

“Gloria what happened?” Olivia asked rushing outside.

 

“Mamma someone threw dirty water all over me,” Gloria cried. “Just look at me. I need to change my clothes and take another bath,” she cried childishly.

 

“Ms. Olivia honestly I never notice Gloria coming,” Matilda said simultaneously stifling a laugh. Ms. Olivia glared at her before attending to her daughter.

 

“You’re going to pay for this Matilda!”

 

“Come on child let’s go and get you cleaned up. As for you Matilda I’ll be sure to tell Aunt Bessie what you have done.” It would mean extra chores but given Gloria’s reaction it was definitely worth the punishment.

 

“Mamma I’m wet and cold and smell awful.”

 

Eliza and Matilda burst out laughing and only regained control when they spotted Drake curiously observing them by the kitchen’s front door.

 

“So why are you two so full of happiness?”

 

Eliza cleared her throat and said, “Sometimes it’s good to laugh every now and then. Drake I would like to introduce Matthew’s wife Ms. Matilda.”

 

“It’s good to meet you Ms. Matilda,” he said extending a hand.

 

“Nice to meet you too Mr. Brodie...” Matilda noticed Drake speaking to her but his attention was clearly focused on Eliza.

 

“Call me Drake. Eliza, could I please have a word with you?”

 

Eliza followed and as he led her around the corner she asked, “Drake what…” Before she could finish her question he planted a sweet kiss on her lips and smiled.

 

“Goodnight Eliza.” He left smiling leaving a surprised Eliza standing speechless.       

Chapter 5 by chocolate470

Eliza’s slow walk back to the kitchen was marked with the question as to why Drake had kissed her for the second time that evening. His first kiss had already made a clear impression but now she had no words to describe how his latest kiss was making her feel…maybe lightheaded was the word.

 

“He’s a nice chap and very friendly. So what he want?”

 

Eliza tried clearing her mind before responding. “I don’t remember.”

 

Matilda chuckled to herself then said, “Hmmm…I noticed him looking at you. Better watch out.”

 

“Matilda…you seen Emilie and you see me…no comparison.”

 

“Beauty come in many different colors. You never seem to realize how pretty you look.”

 

Eliza didn’t have time to look in the mirror much less worry about how beautiful she appeared to others. During those days where did beauty get a common household servant? …In the bed of the master of the house and under the jealous scrutiny of the master’s wife…

 

“Matilda let’s go to bed. We need all our strength tomorrow.”

 

“For those extra chores,” Matilda said sarcastically.

 

Tired bodies with candles in hand paced themselves up the wooden stairs to Eliza’s modest bedroom that contained two small beds, a couple of chairs and an old dresser.

 

“How you handle Matthew being away?” Eliza asked as they changed into their sleeping garb.

 

“The English very funny. They preach bout family and yet they send our men away for ten months.” She paused to think about it a little then said, “I handle it the best way I can. I’m still a woman that have needs ever now and then.”

 

“I don’t think I can do that.”

 

“You can and you will! This is the hand we given. We no ask for it but we have to live it.”

 

“I no say nothing gainst you Matilda.”

 

“I know that. Sometimes you just need a man to hold you…touch you…make you feel wanted. As time pass you see what I’m talking bout.”

 

Morning… 

Breakfast Room… 

“Drake, did you sleep well last night?” Emilie enquired.

 

“I slept as well as I could have. Thank you for asking,” he responded cracking a smile before returning to his breakfast of eggs, ham, sausages, buttered toast and hot English tea. So much for conversation….she noted that he didn’t inquire about her repose.

 

Drake sat across from Emilie and her Aunt while his father James’ attention was focused on his office papers that were spread out in front of him.

 

Emilie tried her best to strike up polite conversation but the chasm between Drake and her Aunt still remained and James didn’t seem to be in the talkative mood. The eerie silence was soon broken by the entrance of Ms. Olivia who brought an invitation for Emilie.

 

“It’s an invitation to Afternoon Tea at Amy’s house,” she said delighted.

 

“I’m sure you’ll enjoy it my dear.”

 

“After breakfast we should write a reply accepting the invitation,” Aunt Diana replied.

  

“Drake I thought that you and I should go to the office today.”

 

“After I’ve retrieved my coat, I’ll join you by the carriage.”

 

“You have ten minutes,” James cautioned.

  

Wash House… 

Gloria happened to walk past and caught Eliza slaving over a washboard and tub with a large amount of clothing heaped up next to her. Normally this task was performed on the weekends with two persons.

 

It was a surprise to see Eliza because she had really expected to see Matilda.  

 

“I’m glad to see that you’re taking your friend’s punishment.”

 

“I would gladly take on any punishment just to see you crying for Ms. Olivia like a little baby.”

 

“A ‘black wench’ like you needs very little to enjoy yourself.”

 

“You considered yourself ‘favored’,” Eliza smirked, “the little coloring you have doesn’t do anything in the eyes of the English. Take a look in the mirror and you’ll see yourself a ‘black wench’ just like I am. If you’ll excuse me I have a lot of work do you.”

 

“And so do I!”

 

Like walking around

 

  

As Gloria walked towards the front entrance she saw Drake headed in her direction.

 

“Good Morning Mr. Brodie. You are looking impressive today.”

 

“Thank you Gloria. I’m on my way to the office with my father but I also thought that I would say good morning to Eliza. Is she still in the wash house?”

 

“Yes she is. I must say that good servants aren’t common these days and you need a stern hand to keep them in line.”

 

“Are you implying that Eliza is an inadequate servant and this is why she is presently in the wash room?!” Gloria was caught off guard by his vexed tone.

 

“That’s not what I’m implying,” she said quickly.

 

“Then please shed more light on your statement because I can certainly vouch for her excellent service to my family throughout the years. Why exactly is Eliza being punished?”

 

“I’m not sure if she is being punished. You need to ask Aunt Bessie.”

 

“Gloria I have known you as many years as I have known Eliza. I am very disappointed by your curt comment about her service. I don’t want to hear you use those same words about her performance ever again!”

 

“I’m sorry…sorry if I offended anyone. I hope this episode does not damage our cordial relationship.”

 

Drake didn’t say anything more but only glared at her.

  

“Drake, come along! The hour grows late!” He heard his father yell.

 

He spun around and walked towards the carriage where George, Max and his impatient father were waiting. He glimpsed Ezekiel staring at him from the verandah and called upon him to join them. He was intent on changing his father’s opinion on where Ezekiel should be in the next two years – mainly having a job at the company instead of working at the mahogany campsite.

 

Gloria looked on as the carriage wound its way to front of the property and then disappeared down the road.  She felt wary about her conversation with Drake. It seemed that four years apart and a fiancée hadn’t changed his opinion about Eliza. She had to find a way to get back in his good graces.

 

“Gloria has Drake left already?” Emilie asked as she walked forward.

 

“Yes Ms. Livingstone.”

 

And he didn’t even say goodbye…   

 

Gregory was just opening the store and heard the horses passing by. He took a quick glance outside.

 

“There goes your father and brother off to the office.”

 

“My father means to torment me with Drake’s presence,” Emilie responded as she dusted.

 

“Maybe we should stop thinking about your father’s company and continue to work on making our store a success.”

 

“Gregory, have you lost your spirit? James Brodie and Company is rightfully my legacy. This little corner store can never rival its prestige. Drake is building his own life in England and the sooner he returns the better it will be for the both of us.”

 

“Better for whom? You or I?”

 

“You mustn’t speak that way. I’m thinking about our futures.”

 

“Our futures may not lie in your father’s company. I wonder which you care about more…me or that damn company!”

 

“Gregory…of course I care about you!”

 

He hadn’t heard what she said. He already went off to the back room.

 

 

Noon Brodie Residence… 

“You should never take my punishment.” Matilda said handing Eliza a corn beef sandwich. She had finished the washing and some of the clothes were lying in the wicker basket.

“It no matter. You can help with the ironing later.”  

“Eliza I have something to tell you.” Eliza looked at her puzzled.

 

“Would you believe Gloria suddenly help me in the kitchen. She do everything I ask her and no say nothing.”

 

“God must have touch her heart.”

 

“Or the devil pinch her backside.” They laughed. “Did you see Mr. Drake this morning? He was asking for you.”

 

“Huh…me never see him. Probably see him later.”

 

“Maybe me leave you two alone tonight,” she said slyly.

 

“Matilda, get out of here!” Eliza yelled splashing some at her as Matilda ran back to the kitchen.

  

 

 

By the time 5:00 arrived it was time for the long rows of bed linens, curtains and clothes to be taken down from the line and set aside for ironing. As she started to carry out her task she saw Drake approaching. He had just returned from a long day at the office which he considered both intriguing and boring. The meeting with the traders; going over commodities and pricing was very interesting but the daily accounting was rather tedious.

 

“Time caught up with me or I would have greeted you earlier this morning.”

 

“Drake, there is no need to explain. We all have busy lives to lead. You look tired.” 

 

“It isn’t anything to concern yourself over. My day is lacking considerably in workload compared to yours. I heard you were under some punishment. What were you being punished for?”

 

“I’m being punished for something that happened yesterday evening.” It was all she offered.

 

“It seems that no one wants to inform me about the sorted details. Therefore my only other question would be… has the punishment concluded?”

 

“It’s not quite over. There is still the ironing left to do.”

 

“Eliza you’ll perform no such task,” he emphasized. “I’ll have a word with Aunt Bessie,” he winked, “you may return to the kitchen.”

 

Soon after his talk with Aunt Bessie he went off to the tavern to relax with his friend Jonathan and some their friends.

 

Gloria was very upset when she found out that she assigned to complete Eliza’s workload but Eliza and Matilda were both thrilled.  

 

 

It was close to midnight and all the plates, cutlery, glasses, pots and pans were carefully stored away. The kitchen was spotless. Eliza sat at the table alone sipping a cup of tea before going to bed.

 

“May I have a cup?”

 

Drake’s voice broke the calm and at first she was startled as he stood unabashed in his nightshirt holding a lit candle.

 

Eliza regained her composure and said, “Your second evening at home and you can’t sleep. Some things really don’t change.” She felt embolden not to grant his request. “I’m sorry Drake but I’ve only heated water for one cup of tea.”

 

“Then this will have to do.” He took her cup and gulped down the rest of her tea before returning it to its saucer.

 

“Drake…,” she said irritated. He only smiled and placed his candle on the table before sitting down.

 

“I should say thank you for releasing me from that arduous task.”

 

“I thought that the punishment really didn’t fit. It was an honest mistake.”

 

“Yes it was…,” she said not fully committed to her words.

 

“You’re up pretty late.”

 

“It comes with my occupation.”

 

“Your occupation is all there is for you?” he asked glancing around the kitchen. “Don’t you have someone in your life?”

 

“Being a servant isn’t all there is. Just like you I do have someone in my life but presently he’s away at the mahogany campsite.” Noticing the change in her demeanor made him see something that he didn’t like... her delight in someone else. She continued, “My Uncle Moses introduced me to a fine young gentleman named Will and I believe that when he returns we will be married,” she gleamed, “Well Drake goodnight…again and thanks for your assistance today. I’m off to bed.”

 

“Aunt Bessie told me that you weren’t in the wrong. On your own you decided to stand up for a friend and take her punishment.”

 

“I guess you believe that I shouldn’t have done so given the task.”

 

“I believe that you have grown into a very admirable and generous young woman.” She felt elated by his compliment.

 

“Thank you. You’re very kind.”

 

Eliza untied her headscarf and shook her unbraided strands loose. Her dark locks cascaded around her shoulders. Drake gazed at her awestruck…unable to move.

 

“I’ve noticed that you haven’t worn your locket as yet,” he said in a hollow tone as she took off her apron. Hearing him mention the locket made her retrieve it from her bosom.

 

“I keep it close to my heart but this piece is too exquisite for servant’s wear Mr. Brodie.”

 

“Still may I see if I chose correctly?”

 

“You may but you will have to place it around my neck.”

 

He stood and walked behind her. She handed him the locket and lifted up her strands. Standing behind her he felt a desire creeping deep inside him.

 

“Let’s see how…” It almost slipped from his fingers.

 

“Are we nervous Mr. Brodie?”

 

“I’m very nervous standing behind a beautiful woman,” he whispered.

 

His breath caught on the nape of her neck and it sent a tingle coursing through her entire body. It made her become uneasy but she soon recovered. “Doth charm too well,” she said with a small laugh.

 

“There it’s finished.”

 

She let her hair down and he moved to her front. “So how does it look?” she asked anxiously.

 

“Simply Radiant,” but his eyes never let her gaze until she moved them away. “You should see it for yourself. There’s a mirror in my room,” he offered.

 

“Drake it doesn’t seem proper for a female servant to enter a gentleman’s room at night,” she scolded.

 

“If you are unable to trust me…”

 

“It’s not that I’m unable to trust you,” she quickly responded lightly touching his forearm.

 

“I promise to look around to see if anyone is lurking. Eliza I will never allow anyone to question your character.”

 

She finally agreed and he restrained whatever male desire that was starting to take over. He respected her a great deal and wouldn’t want her to feel uncomfortable around him.

 

Their journey to his bedchamber was uneventful – the household was seemingly at rest. Drake’s and his father’s rooms were located at the other end of where the ladies’ rooms were situated.

 

He quietly let Eliza inside his bedroom and she found a small mirror propped up on his dresser.

 

“It is beautiful,” she said moving her fingers along the locket.

 

“Do you agree that you wear it well?” She nodded her head in agreement. As she turned around she noticed him looking at her as if he wanted to ask her something but was unwilling to do so.

 

“Drake, is there something else?”

 

“I haven’t had a chance to really talk to you.”

 

“Ok I’ll stay… just for a little while.”

 

During their younger years there were a few nights when they would stay up and talk while laying on his bed.  To outsiders it would appear to be unusual but to them it was very natural.

 

“Aunt Bessie told me that you haven’t seen Ms. Elizabeth as yet. Why haven’t you gone to see her?”

 

“I will ok…after all she is my mother. Ask me something else.”

  

“How did you meet your beloved Emilie?” She asked as they gazed upwards at his bed’s canopy.

 

He thought that was an easier question and responded, “We met at a coming out Ball. It’s where all the young ladies of marriageable age congregate to meet eligible bachelors… like myself.”

 

“It is quite fortuitous that she resembles Helen in her features.”

 

“Just because Helen broke my heart does not mean that I took father’s offer because of it Eliza,” he quickly defended. He should have known that her question was a gateway to an assumption she was carrying about his leaving.

 

“I should believe you because…,” she said turning to face him.

 

“Alright…,” he responded looking across at her. “Sometimes I don’t even believe my own words. Here it goes…I went away partially because of Helen but not wholly because of her.” Eliza felt redeemed in her assumption. “Go ahead and congratulate yourself for knowing me too well.”

 

“It’s really not fair to Emilie if you don’t love her in the same manner that she loves you.”

 

“Life is not fair but I’m not really trying to hurt her. The English don’t marry for love totally. There is also practicality.”

 

“Practicality now there’s a word. So…do you believe that she is going to make a good wife to you?”

 

“Do you believe that Will is going to make you a good husband?”

 

“A question with a question…hmmm…I certainly do believe that he will make a good husband.”

 

“How could he be such an attentive husband when he’s always away at camp?”

 

“Its through no fault of his. Drake you know the system that we are forced to live under. Why would you say such words against a man you have never met?” she whispered harshly. She attempted to leave but he held her arm.

 

“Eliza you are right in saying that I shouldn’t have said anything against a man I don’t know anything about. Please forgive me.”

 

“Once you ask it of me then I will forgive you.”

 

“Then we may continue our conversation?”

 

“We may. There is one thing that puzzles me about your actions last evening.” Drake looked at her questioning. “Why did you kiss goodnight? Is this some custom that you picked up in England?”

 

“Perhaps…but I say that your lips invited me to kiss them.”

 

“That’s the daftest thing I’ve ever heard!” she exclaimed. “Ok tell me what are my lips saying at this moment?”

 

He thought she was beseeching him for this response. “Kiss them again.”

 

He pulled her into a soft kiss that turned long and lingering. She didn’t break it off or turn him away instead she fell under the magic of his tongue intertwined with hers. Suddenly Drake gently pushed her away.

 

“Eliza…again forgive me…I shouldn’t have taken advantage.”

 

“You are not taking advantage of me. I wanted you to kiss me as you have been doing…repeatedly,” she smiled. “I enjoy your lips being so close to mine and the taste of wine as our tongues dance together.”

 

She was aiming to try something more as she slid off the bed and started undressing. It was a bold move and he gaped at her in shock disbelief when her nakedness was relieved.

 

“Body amazing…,” he whispered mesmerized eyes riveted by her beauty. Gone was the gangly teenager of four years ago – standing before him was a goddess.

 

He soon joined her shucking away his nightshirt and drawing her into a passionate kiss.

 

Letting go she whispered softly, “no promises need to be made between us.”

 

They landed softly back unto the bed. He started trailing kisses from her lips, down to her neck, suckling her erect areoles which made her moan and then lingered around her thighs.

 

“Drake…what…what are you doing?”

 

“Hasn’t a man ever brought you to pleasure’s gate before attaining his own?” He paused and questioned.

 

“I don’t know of what you speak.”

 

“There is much to teach you.” Eliza became a willing pupil...eager to learn whatever lessons he was about to convey.

 

His tongue began working feverishly down below and her body responded in ways she had never quite experienced before. It was an incredible sensation. Then instantly another feeling came over her. Inaudible words escaping her lips…a sense of her body soaring up to new heights and then coming down back down to earth…her juices flowed… Ah sweet, sweet release. 

He drank from her wine thoroughly satisfying himself. He came up beside her caressing the side of her cheek. 

“Eliza, you enjoyed that lesson,” he said seductively capturing her swollen lips which allowed her a taste of her essence. “Because I so enjoyed giving it to you.”

 

“Teach me some more…there is still much I need to learn,” she whispered harshly. His arousal lied heavily on her abdomen.

 

He proceeded to continue the lesson by slipping effortlessly inside of her and fondling her sensitive tips. She cried out in rapt pleasure feeling her body stretched to accommodate his huge length.

 

A gratified expression was affixed upon his face as he pulled in and out of her at first slowly and then even more intensely. All the while the most fulfilling sexual experience was already waiting for me and I couldn’t see or imagine that it could be Eliza.   

Rhythms and bodies converging as one but all too soon it must come to a pleasurable ending. The echoing of their climax resounding through the room and quickly he pulled out spilling his seed on the small of her stomach.

 

They stared at each other momentarily lacking the ability to communicate.

 

“It has been a wonderful evening but I must leave you now. You have been a great teacher and I shan’t forget all you have taught me.”

 

“Stay for just a little while longer.”

 

“Drake like I said earlier – there are no promises between us.”

 

He let her go and looked on stoically as she cleaned herself off and dressed. He only got up to walk her to the door where they gave each other a parting kiss.

 

He stood still naked staring at the empty bed…all logical thoughts fled his mind. He tried thinking about what just happened but it couldn’t be explained. And why should it be explained. The answer came simply…Emilie.

 

He walked over to his window, pushed aside the curtains and opened it. The cool night air touched his face and he breathed.

  

“Bloody Hell! What am I going to do?”  

  

Unknowingly someone caught sight of Eliza exiting Drake’s bedroom and was none too pleased.

Chapter 6 by chocolate470

As silently as she could she crept into her bedroom. Having memorized her dresser’s location it was easy to find it and search within its compartments for a change of attire. She made it her duty not to wake a sleeping Matilda whom she heard snoring lightly.

 

Down the stairs and into the moonlit backyard with the sound of crickets chirping noisily… The servants’ bath house was located ten paces from where they slept and she had to fetch a pail of water from the outside pump to start her bath. Call it a standing shower without all the modern conveniences – all one had to use was a bucket of water and a dipper for scooping. As she started to bathe it and her washcloth traveled along her torso it suddenly dawned on her that something was missing from around her neck…the locket.

  

After returning from washing himself Drake slipped back into bed mentally replaying the passion he had just shared with Eliza only moments ago. Skin to skin, lips and tongues entwined…him being inside her and enjoying every pleasurable second. Reliving it was all so wonderful and yet confusing. His second night at home and Eliza was dominating his mind instead of Emilie.

 

“I’m engaged to be married to a beautiful woman…but damn Eliza,” he muttered to himself. No promises between us…her sound bite echoed briefly. He calmed himself realizing that sleep would be best remedy for his wavering conscious.

 

It was only when he moved his left hand over the bed’s surface that he happened upon the misplaced locket. He encircled it around his fingers observing that one of its loops had split in two.

 

“A night of passion could make things seem ordinary,” he said softly. He pledged to have it repaired before returning it to her.

 

Eliza climbed the stairs thoroughly disappointed that she had misplaced the locket and feared what would become of it if someone other than Drake would find it. What would Drake regard her if he found out that she was so careless with his gift?

 

“How was it?” Eliza was stunned to see Matilda sitting up and leaning her head against her metal bed frame. Her eyes instantly started shifting around trying to figure out a credible response. “No tell me no story Eliza.”

 

“You going to braid me hair tomorrow?”

 

“Yes and you still no answer me question. Why? Is it because me tell you so? You smell fresh and clean after giving yourself a good wash.”

 

You could hardly get anything past Matilda and her small diversion wasn’t fooling anyone. Eliza sighed and went over to the bed to sit beside Matilda.

 

“I should feel bad but I don’t.”

 

“Why should you feel bad? Those men do nuff at mahogany camp. Anyway I shouldn’t say nothing bout that because they need it more than we do.”

 

“Still…it was me who start it.” Matilda opened her mouth wide then covered it. “It no funny…more like shameful. He there smelling good and we so close...”

 

“Couldn’t help yourself. Was it…good…”

 

“Very…very…good. Thought me some new things. After all I believe Drake have some black in him.” Matilda fell backwards laughing.

 

“Hush…or you’ll wake everybody.” Matilda covered her mouth. “Gal go back go sleep.”

 

“Poor me I no have those sweet dreams.”

 

“I’ll dream enough for both of us.”

 

 

 

5:30 a.m.  …  

The rays of the sun peaking from behind the clouds and the sound of birds twittering in the trees…it was the beginning of a new day and whatever was to come.    

As they walked into the kitchen Matilda continued her taunting of Eliza. Eliza would playfully push against her trying to make her stop.

 

Aunt Bessie stood silently by awaiting their arrival.

 

“Morning Eliza…Matilda,” Aunt Bessie said.

 

“Morning,” they both replied.

 

“Eliza your presence is being requested in the drawing room right away.”

 

“Alright…”

 

 

Aunt Bessie’s voice sounded very serious and Eliza’s mind started racing as she started her slow walk. It couldn’t be Drake asking for her because he would have just come to the kitchen area. Who else could it be? Maybe Emilie… Somehow she had found out even though they had been careful or so they thought. Her heart took off from where her mind left off. She hated this feeling…a fear that struck at her very core. Hadn’t she warned herself about this and judged Gloria because of it….judge not

 

She had reached the wide doors and opened it cautiously. Stepping inside her eyes finally gazed upon the person who had felt it necessary to have her summoned at such an early hour…Ms. Diana Livingstone. This revelation was both shocking and disturbing at the same time. Eliza felt her mouth go dry and her palms sweaty. The other servants had already spoken about Ms. Diana’s sore temperament towards them. 

Ms. Diana, dressed in her usual black attire, stared at her icily as she sat on the settee her hand resting against a black cane. Eliza quietly closed the door behind her and stood straight with her arms secured at her side.

 

“Eliza is your name child?” Her question engendered little warmth.

 

“Yes ma’am.”

 

“Eliza let’s get to the point of requesting your presence. What were you doing in Mr. Drake Brodie’s bedchamber at such a late hour last night?” Momentarily Eliza stared at her horrified. “Answer Me!” Her voice boomed across the room but Eliza stood refusing to say another word. “Your silence makes everything very clear.”

 

“Since emancipation you coloreds really don’t know your places in society. Where would you be if Mr. Brodie hadn’t provided your family with a roof over your heads and good food to eat? I’ll tell you where – out on the streets like common animals.”

 

Eliza’s body twitched. Where would Mr. Brodie be if their services weren’t available to take care of a sick wife and motherless children? She thought.

 

“This is how you repay such a respectable gentleman – taking advantage of his son…my niece’s fiancé?” This had turned into one of those long-winded speeches. “Observing your Aunt Bessie I believed that you would have common decency and respect for yourself…obviously I was sadly mistaken. I hope you realize what will be the outcome of any supposed relationship between you and Drake… ”

 

“Drake and I are merely friends,” she replied softly.

 

“Speak Up!”

 

“I said Drake and I are friends. Whatever occurs between us is none of your concern!”

 

“Why you impudent beast! How dare you speak to me in such a disrespectful tone?” Ms. Diana yelled striking the cane heavily against the carpeted floor.  

 

“Respect is given when it is deserved! Ms. Diana you don’t deserve my respect!” Eliza whirled around and exited the room leaving Ms. Diana very disconcerted.

 

The need to getaway immediately made her shoes stomp nosily upon the floor. She didn’t care what sort of discipline lied in her future Ms. Diana didn’t have the right to speak to her as if she were a dog begging for scraps to be thrown her way. She had worked very hard to earn every little bit of respect that the Brodies had given to her and she intended to keep holding her head high.

 

“Oh…” She bumped into Drake who noticed her angry disposition.

 

He gripped her arms and asked, “Eliza what’s going on?”

 

“I don’t want to talk about it. Drake would you please let me go,” she replied struggling against his grasp.

 

“Not until you tell me what’s wrong.”

  

“Eliza come back here and apologize this instant!” Ms. Diana yelled as she cracked open the door.

 

Eliza glared at him and he let go. It was his responsibility to diffuse this situation.

 

“Eliza!”  

“There is no need to yell Ms. Livingstone. This is a quiet residence and not a marketplace,” he said as he stepped inside the room. She stepped back and frowned.

 

“How dare you speak as such to a person who is your senior in years?”

 

“I am far from causing offense to you Ms. Livingstone. Haven’t I addressed you by your proper title? This is the second time that you have caused me displeasure and I would be very pleased if you discontinued such behavior. You have already upset our household staff and it is only at my father’s behest that I haven’t approached you earlier.”

 

“You mean to put me in line? I am not a commoner!”

 

“So far your behavior gives merit to that notion,” he responded calmly. “Is it a habit of yours to berate hard working individuals?”

 

She turned and walked to the settee where she seated herself. “Enlighten me Mr. Brodie…what was Eliza doing in your room last night?”

 

“I am my own man and I shouldn’t have to answer you but I will try to ease your tortured soul as best as I could. Eliza has always been a part of my family. We practically grew up together and have shared many late night conversations over the years.”

 

“It seems very odd that she would have to creep from your bedchamber if it is as innocent as you claim.”

 

“I was the one who insisted that she come to my room,” he responded in a raised voice. “If you want to be upset with anyone then it should be me and me alone!”

 

“Emilie’s happiness is my primary concern!”

 

“And you believe that by casting aspersions and assuming secret rendezvous that this will help to allay her fears.”

“Discontinue from sticking your upturned nose into my private affairs or it may bring about negative consequences for your niece! Mark my words she will place the blame squarely on your shoulders. I’ll make sure of it...,” he said harshly.

 

“Humph…,” Ms. Diana stood up abruptly and walked towards the door.

 

“There is one more thing that I must impress upon you. You will never again be the cause of Eliza’s malcontent. Do we understand each other?”

 

“Perfectly…,” she forced past her lips.

 

 

 

Meanwhile…  

Eliza thought about the bedlam that she had created and had resigned herself to leave the household. She paced back and forth as Aunt Bessie and Matilda looked on bewildered.

 

“What has gotten into you?” Aunt Bessie asked

 

“That woman had no right to say what she said to me. I had to speak.”

 

“Eliza what did you say?”

 

“Ms. Diana will tell you all about it.”

 

“The Brodies put me in charge of this house. How does it look when my own niece is out of control? It is not our place to talk back to these people.”

 

“Why because they still our masters?”

 

“Because we still need them to earn a living and survive…”

 

“It better for everyone that I leave. I’ll come back when they go. They’ll accept that punishment. She no want see my face around here again.”

 

“No Eliza…,” Matilda pleaded.

 

“And go where? Until you married you still my responsibility.” Eliza sighed heavily and sat down at the table placing her hands at the side of her temples. “I’ll go see what Ms. Diana have to say and then we can talk. Matilda make sure that breakfast get served. Gloria will be coming by soon.”

 

 

 

  

“This my fault Matilda. Ms. Diana find out bout last night. I still no know how cause she no tell me.”

 

“Oh me lawd.”

 

 

Gloria came into the kitchen and glared at the both of them with a wry smile. It was good to see Eliza miserable and Matilda unable to provide comfort.

 

The room suddenly became very quiet and all that could be heard were different items being assembled on the breakfast trays. Before long their task was completed and they exited the kitchen. 

 

 

    

“So the old biddy found out about our enjoyable evening spent with one another,” he whispered by her ear touching her tense shoulders.

 

“I shouldn’t have allowed it to happen. She’s probably going to give her niece all the sorted details.”

 

Drake pulled a chair beside her and said, “First off Ms. Livingstone doesn’t have a clue about what occurred between us and I have warned her about speaking to Emilie. Does that ease your mind?”

 

Once again Drake had come to her rescue but this time she wasn’t as thrilled as before.

 

“My mind is far from being eased. Drake I’m not blaming you…I totally blame myself for allowing it to go too far.”

 

“We didn’t do anything wrong Eliza.”

 

“Yes we did. We both are involved in committed relationships. I have much more to lose than you ever will.”

 

That last comment touched his heart because regretfully he hadn’t given it much thought. He held Eliza in a very high regard but he had to admit others looked at her differently. The stakes were much higher for her than they would ever be for him.

 

“If that part of our relationship must end then it must but we can still talk and socialize as friends…right?”

 

“I’m not sure. Being around you now feels very different….it’s very confusing.”

 

“I don’t want our friendship to end because of a supposed indiscretion,” he said taking her hand and squeezing it gently. It was starting again…wanting to be so close to him and not pushing him away. “You’re not the only one that is in a state of confusion. Eliza I’m starting to…”

 

 

“Drake aren’t you coming to breakfast. Your father sent me to find you,” Emilie said. Drake turned around and nodded his head before pushing his chair away and standing up. There was that momentarily feeling again. It happened when she first saw them talking together – like she had interrupted.

 

“My Aunt has decided to take breakfast in her room this morning.”

 

“The first good news of the morning...,” he said kissing her hand.

How could he kiss her hand after touching mine. 

“I was under the impression that you two had an earlier conversation,” she said encircling her hand around his waist.

 

This is torture… 

“Your Aunt has her way handling situations and I have mine. I fear that we are…”

 

Their voices trailed off and Eliza was happy that they were gone. She rested her throbbing head on the kitchen table.

 

“What’s wrong with me? I have no right to be jealous.”

 

 

Breakfast Room… 

“I’m glad to see that you have decided to join us.”

“It seemed that like he was comforting Eliza,” she said as Drake pulled out her chair and she sat down. 

“My son cares a great deal about our household staff.”

 

“His gentle spirit is one of the things I like most about him,” she smiled. A crooked smile was his response.

 

 “Drake I am planning on going to St. George’s. I have asked Emilie and her Aunt to go along and they have both said yes.”

 

“I don’t think that I’m able to,” he replied buttering his toast. Matilda almost spilled his tea and hurriedly excused herself from the room. Gloria followed behind.

 

“Drake is this because of my Aunt? I wish you would come along because of me and stop thinking about her.”

 

“My decline doesn’t have anything to do with your Aunt. I’ve seen the island oft enough. My dear you will be seeing it for the first time and that’s why you should go along.”

 

“How could I possibly enjoy myself if you are not there with me?” Her question begged comfort.

 

“There will be many occasions in our marriage when we are not together in one place.”

 

“I guess that during this visit I’m being taught that lesson well!” She threw down her napkin and excused herself.

  

“I’d rather we don’t go into any discussion about my situation father.”

 

“I just wonder what you would have done if were Helen sitting across from you instead of her imitation.”

 

Drake looked across at his father…a bit stunned by his statement. Then again why should he be…Still he had to be a considerate fiancé.

  

He found her in the entryway leaning against the side of the wall lost in thought.

 

“Emilie you were right. It will be your first time visiting the island and I should be there with you.”

 

Her features immediately changed and a wide grin came across her face. “Oh Drake you have made me so happy!” she yelled hugging him tightly.

 

“It’s a part of my duty to make you feel happy,” he responded sincerely but a part of him couldn’t help but think about Eliza being in his arms…”We should go and pack a few things for the journey.”

 

“You know I haven’t really thought about that.” She caught sight of Gloria. “Gloria you could help me pick out some outfits to wear.”

 

“Of course…”

 

 

 

Moments later… 

Eliza and Gloria were busily fixing ham sandwiches for the boat trip when Aunt Bessie approached them.

 

“I went to Ms. Diana and she said it was all a misunderstanding.” Drake had really come through for her once again…”I saw him just now walking up the stairs with Ms. Emilie. It looks like everything is alright with those two.”

 

Matilda glanced at Eliza for a reaction but saw none forthcoming. Must have misjudged her feelings towards him. Aunt Bessie left them to attend to her own duties.

 

“After we finish I can braid your hair.”

 

“Sounds good…” she responded nonchalantly.

 

“This day in fact this whole week has been full of drama.”

 

“It has…”

  

It was also time for her to finally accept how their lives were meant to be separate. When she and Drake were children life was much easier for them – you can be together without others questioning why. As adults rules became much more pronounced and innocent feelings turn into something more real and ultimately forbidden. She didn’t need anymore complications in her life.

 

“So good that things will be back to normal…”

  

 

 

Two hours later… 

With most of the household away the workload was much lighter and was easily completed. Matilda and Eliza were sitting comfortably on the back steps. It was good to get a much needed break after enduring a troubling week.

Eliza was running her fingers through her neatly braided tresses when they say Ezekiel coming towards them from around the corner of the house.

 

“Ever since Mr. Drake give Ezekiel those marbles he carry them round like gold.”

 “At least we could say he responsible.” Unlike someone she knew…really careless to have misplaced that locket.

“Ms Eliza…Ms Eliza…Mr. Drake say to give this to you.”

Ezekiel had handed her a small white envelope before scurrying away. At first she hesitated but then decided to open it. It contained a note which read:

My Dear Eliza, 

I’ve thought about what you told me earlier but I still believe that we need to converse. I’ll be home before nightfall. Wait for me by the pier.   

Forever your Drake 

 

“Eliza what does it say?”

 

“Trouble…”

Chapter 7 by chocolate470

“Why am I here?”

 

“We both know why…”

 

And so their conversation had began as the last rays of the sun were started to drift under the blue horizon. As the hours ticked by a battle had raged within her as to whether she should meet him by the pier or not. Matilda promised to cover for her absence and had also advised that she mustn’t take the affair between them too seriously.

 

In two months he would go back to England to marry Emilie and you can go on with Will. 

Matilda was right of course but her heart was sending off blaring alarm bells. Yet she stood with her back turned away clutching her black shawl tightly.

 

Only for a little while longer could he go on with this game. Ever since his arrival inside the pimento hut she had retreated from his grasp refusing to look at him squarely.

 

“So how were you able to escape Emilie’s hold?”

 

“I’ve always had my way and you know that to be true.”

 

“A way to get what you want…”

 

“And what I desperately need…,” he said seductively. “I love the way your hair looks,” slowly he was creeping by where her feet stood firmly planted.

 

“It’s unlike your fiancée’s long, flowing, black hair.”

 

“Do you believe that beauty is judged by the hair…the skin…?” She could hardly breathe as he invaded her personal space intentionally playing with some of her wayward strands which hung loosely around her shoulders.

 

“The English judge beauty differently than others do,” she swallowed and then looked past his shoulder at the purling river. Dependent on the tide its color would change from dark blue, to green or dark brown.

 

Maybe it was being out here with the Brodie Estate within striking distance or her early morning quarrel with Ms. Diana but Eliza’s behavior was unlike the woman from the night before.

 

“Come with me,” he said caressing her neck.

 

“Where are you going to take me?” Ah those chocolate, brown eyes were finally staring back at him although with a questioning glare. He meant to keep their gaze but he had to respond.

 

“Once again you need to trust me.”

 

He took her by hand and helped her over the side of the boat. It rocked a little and she fell back against his body. She was in his arms and he hoped that it wouldn’t be for the last time that evening. Reluctantly he let her go and took his place at the helm of the boat – they had to reach their destination before the darkness of the night was upon them.

 

The river was an integral fabric of the Bay, without it the forestry industry would have failed a longtime ago. James and his Uncle Arthur had taught him from an early age how to navigate its murky waterway filled with debris from floating mahogany and sprouting mangroves.

 

“Are you ok?” She was being far too silent sitting behind him.

 

“It’s like you are taken me into a fantasy from years past,” she said trying to secure some of her flailing hair behind her ear. He smiled at her deduction – she knew exactly where he was taken her.

 

It was to a house that his father had built many years ago and his mother had outwardly rejected fearing it was too far away from town. James hated that he had to leave it unoccupied so he employed Mr. Edward and his wife Ms. Selene to be its caretakers. The couple lived on an adjoining property but made sure that the residence was kept in proper order…one never knew when Mr. Brodie might appear for a quick visit.

 

Drake often wondered why his father held the property so dear. It was a smaller-scaled version of the Brodie Estate and could have been sold many times at different prices but James refused all offers. His father held many other properties but this plot seemed to be his most prized possession.

 

Drake could count the amount of times he had been taken there and Eliza remembered that she had been there three times in her life. She had marveled at the gardens. It reminded her of scenes from some of the books that Drake had read to her.

 

The land that Mr. Edward and his wife lived on was gifted to him by Mr. Brodie as a reward for taking care of his property so dutifully. He was the only black man she knew that was able to own and farm his own plot of land.

 

“Mr. Drake Brodie, glad to see you made it back safely.” A tall man with broad shoulders and a gapped tooth grin shook Drake’s hand warmly.

 

So he had been here earlier…Eliza was carefully hidden by the bow of the boat.

 

“I told you that I would return.”

“Mr. Edward, if my father asks, tell him that I was never here. You know how he can be about anyone of us visiting this place alone.”

 

“This place is very dear to your father’s heart. It was his dream and your mother’s nightmare.” Mr. Edward paused then asked. “Drake how is your mother?”

 

“Sadly, she’s still the same.”

 

“Indeed that is very sad. Well I’m off to bed. Selene has already prepared everything so I believe you’ll be very comfortable.”

 

“I thank you and your wife very much.”

“Mr. Edward, when have you ever stayed up later than usual?”

 

“My wedding night…for obvious reasons,” he chuckled as he walked away.

 

 

 

“You may come now,” he motioned to Eliza.

 

“These gardens are still as beautiful as I remembered them…just look at those roses and the hibiscuses and look at that huge Zericote tree.” She reminisced one time in her earlier years when she ran through the endless rows of flowers.

 

Drake grabbed her hand as she walked past him pulling her into a kiss.

 

“Do you not notice me?”

 

“Far too often these days,” she said returning his kiss. Now this was the Eliza he wanted. “I see that being on the island has given you back the color I recall so well.” His skin was exhibiting a nice golden brown hue.

 

“Finally she notices. I did it all for you.”

 

“I wonder what else you may have done for me this evening.”

 

“You’ll see once we go inside.”

 

  

First stop on their walk through was the candle lit dining room where a bowl of hearty beef and vegetable stew awaited along with a glass and a bottle of red wine.

 

“One has to eat before proceeding to other delights.”

 

“I’ve noticed that there is only one place setting. I cannot see myself obtaining another spoon and awaiting my turn,” Eliza complained.

 

“Women’s minds can be so circular in thought. Eliza there’s only going to be one spoon available.”

 

“Oh…so you intend to feed me or is it the other way around.”

 

“Whatever is your pleasure, my lady,” he bowed kissing the back of her hand. Being there and Drake’s mannerisms made her feel giggly.

 

“I’m famished and it will be my pleasure if you would feed me.”

 

“Do request another wine glass as well.”

 

“Given your service towards me one wine glass will serve the purpose.”

 

“Your wish is my command,” he whispered as his hands encircled her waist and they kissed.

 

 

15 minutes later…  

“Hmmm…this is very palatable. All the flavors blend together so delightfully.”

“Real English cooking doesn’t compare to this experience.”

 

“I wonder what you will do when you return.”

 

“Who knows I may never return,” he said sipping his wine as he gazed at her intently. “Do you recall when I asked you one day what you really wanted most in the world?”

 

“You couldn’t possibly be speaking about…” Drake nodded his head. “We were just children and I didn’t believe that you would actually obtain it for me.”

 

“You asked for a doll exactly like Sara’s little Ms. Ann doll.”

 

“I really loved its blue and white dress and matching bonnet. I was totally surprised when I actually received the same dolly. And why was this so Mr. Brodie?” her eyes twinkled as she took a sip of his wine.

 

“Because It may have been Sara’s after all,” he shrugged, “I loved the way she threw a tantrum when she found that it was missing. If I had asked father about buying me a doll he would have wondered if something was wrong with me so I had to do the next best thing.” They both giggled. “Do you still have it?”

 

“It’s tucked amongst my precious little treasures.” Then she quickly remembered. “I’m so sorry Drake,” she sighed, “I lost the locket that you gave to me.”

 

“Eliza you didn’t lose it. I found it last night.”

 

“Then why didn’t you say something earlier,” she smacked him playfully.

 

“Ouch…that stings…,” he chuckled. “I’ll give it back to you once it’s repaired.”

 

“You have no idea how my heart ached over losing it.”

 

“Then I’ll tell your heart to be still. There are better things for your heart to ache over.” 

  

The mood was beginning to change as they took their last bites.

 

“Eliza since our last conversation I feared that we wouldn’t be talking like this again. I love being around and talking to you. You place my mind at ease. It is only around you that I can be my true self.”

 

“Then why did you stay away so long? I missed you terribly. You were my escape from the doldrums of endless servitude.”

 

If he really thought about it there really wasn’t a very good explanation for his long absence but he would try.

 

“It was an error that I promise never to repeat again,” he said clasping her hands, “life in the Bay functions at a slower pace than in England. Regretfully I got caught in trying to establish my situation.”

 

“And other matters…”

 

“Yes and other matters,” he said rising from the table. “I couldn’t believe my eyes when I first saw you again.”

 

“Why?” she asked as he pulled out her chair. She turned and placed her arms around his neck. His arms in turn encompassed her curvy thighs.

 

“You had changed a great deal…maturing into an alluring woman.”

 

“You are a rather handsome looking gentleman yourself.”

 

“There are times that I can behave quite gentlemanly,” he whispered teasing her lips with his. He squeezed her thighs and she felt his manhood steadily rising. “And then there are times that I just want to take a woman to passion’s peak.”

 

Eliza’s mind was lost. With eyes closed she delighted in his tongue caressing her neck and his fingers playing with her erect areoles hidden beneath her dress.

 

He heard her moan as he grounded his sex against her center. “I delight in giving you pleasure.”

 

“I delight in receiving that pleasure,” she sighed feeling a wetness coating her inner thighs.

 

 

This foreplay was meant to continue upstairs so with candle in hand he led her to the bedroom.

 

Whether it was his or not she did not know but it looked very elegant and dreamy illuminated by the light of the full moon hovering outside their window. The bed, with its carved uprights and soft bedding was surrounded by sheer mosquito netting.

 

Slowly they undressed and she gazed into his eyes asking, “Am I in a dream?”

 

“If it is a dream then it will be many hours before you are awaken,” he said capturing her lips.

  

When passion’s flames burn brightly the passage of time is inconsequential. It has no bearing when love overtakes the heart and soul.

 

What more could he do to express his feelings but through touch and words that she had never heard a man speak towards her. He whispered words of her beauty; of his longing to be close to her…moving inside of her...together as one. As she reached her desired climax, for a moment, she felt that he belonged to her completely. It took great effort for him to pull away from her as he reached his own zenith. His sweat covered body plopped down beside her as they both fought to recover normal breathing.

 

“Eliza…my Eliza…are you still dreaming?”

 

“I’m wide awake still feeling you inside of me.”

 

 

After tender moments passed… 

The candle that was once new had burned down to half its length. Drake lied on his stomach watching a peaceful Eliza who rested on her side gazing back at him.

 

“You do realize that there is more to us than just a physical attraction.”

 

It would come to this and she was fearful of where it might lead.

 

“It’s because we are also close friends.”

 

“And much more Eliza…,” he whispered softly, “Will you allow me to say it?”

 

“Drake please I don’t want to hear it. It is better that things remain as they are.”

 

“I understand your fear…”

 

“Do you…really…” He could see the pain in her eyes. “Until you walk around in this skin you will never understand my fear.”

 

“I know that you do not fault me for the color of my skin and being who I am. I truly do not understand your anger towards me.”

 

 “The world always revolves around Drake Brodie and damn the rest of us!”

 

“Eliza have I ever done anything to intentionally hurt you?!”

 

“No but you are going to hurt me…unintentional though it may be.”

 

“Therefore I’m hurting you by saying that I’m falling in love with you.”

 

What did he just say? She gazed deeply into those blue eyes and judged him to be sincere. She still didn’t want to believe it…this couldn’t be happening

 

“What is so wrong with me loving you?” he asked…hurt.

 

“Everything…it can never be,” she said shaking her head. He had to hear the truth and not allow this fantasy to continue although she felt awful hurting him as she was.

 

“Could you love me Eliza?”

 

“If we were the same I could easily love you. Society allows us to carry on affairs but not to develop any sort of emotional connection.”

 

“I don’t care about society and how they view us as being different people. I care about you and me. As we lie here and on the bonds of our friendship, Eliza, do you love me?”

 

“I really don’t know how to respond to your question Drake.”

 

He could see it in her eyes. He was forcing his own need upon her and it wasn’t fair to Eliza. He let out a breath and loving caressed her arm. “I didn’t bring you here to cause you any further distress.” She smiled and held his hand kissing it sweetly. “Regardless of your feelings towards me we will forever remain friends.”

 

Their discourse and his sincere words of love had caused her firm stand to weaken. Of course he had the courage to tell her about his love for her but what were her true feelings towards him. She had to search her soul and there she found the answer.

 

“We are far beyond friendship.” Drake’s body stiffened as he anxiously awaited her next utterance. “With everything that is within me…I do love you Drake Brodie.”

 

“My Love!”

 

Eager tongues battled to gain control of a kiss that started off passionately and ended romantic.

 

“The first time my eyes came across your beautiful face in the kitchen, I fell in love with you.”

 

“Those are the scariest words that I have ever spoken.”

 

“I know you are afraid. I’m scared too. I didn’t plan on coming back home and falling in love with another woman.”

 

“Oh no…Will…”

 

“You are not still planning on marrying him?” he asked in a jealous tone.

 

“He doesn’t deserve to be put aside.”

 

“And neither does Emilie but I cannot live my life pretending that I love her when I obviously I do not!”

 

“What happened to love and practicality? We cannot build anything on our love…only unattainable dreams.”

 

“Unattainable Dreams…” Her words struck his heart deeply. “Everything that has occurred between us is just a fantasy to you.”

 

“You are not a fantasy to me.”

 

“I might as well be. I pour out my heart to you and I express my love for you and yet…” He turned away and quickly arose from the bed unable to face her hurt as he felt. “I believe it’s best that we never speak to one another again.”

 

“I thought that we would forever remain friends,” she said dejected.

 

“I told you an untruth. How do you expect me to react when the woman I love is going to marry someone else? You may be willing to see me with Emilie but I’m unwilling to see you in another man’s arms.”

 

“You’ll still have my heart,” she pleaded.

 

“It’s not enough. I want you. I want us to be together.”

“We had better leave this place before we hurt each other further.”

 

“It’s best for the both of us,” she agreed.

  

They bathed and dressed separately. Eliza wanted to cry but she wasn’t going to allow him to see any tears being shed. Why couldn’t he understand that even though they were in love that it would be ill-fated? Drake could be stubborn when he wanted to and so could she.

 

 

Homeward Bound… 

The moon hung in the sky above and the forest animals could be heard in the background but neither cared. Their burgeoning love affair had quickly ended and all that remained was hurt emotions. Drake skillfully steered the boat and soon he arrived at the back of the estate where he helped her disembark. He bade her goodnight and they glared at each other momentarily…then he was gone. Now she could cry. 

She walked slowly to the house feeling numb and foolish.

 

“I should have followed Matilda’s advice and not allowed it to go so far and now where am I…”

  

Entering the kitchen she saw Matilda drumming her fingers on the table awaiting her return. Matilda would have scolded for her late arrival but seeing her despondency she quickly changed her approach.

 

“Eliza what wrong?” When she didn’t answer Matilda saw her fragile condition. She went to her side and held her. “Come on I’ll take you to your room.”

   

Upon arrival to her room Eliza crawled into her bed curling up against her pillow.

  

“If you don’t want to talk then you don’t have to.”

 

“Matilda I’ve lost him,” she said sadly.

 

“You lost Drake? Where? That why you were crying?”

 

“I never follow your advice.” Eliza touched her heart illustrating what she really meant.

 

“Oh…you two had a fight.”

 

“He loves me.”

 

“He what?”

 

“And I love him…”

 

“You what?” This was too much information for Matilda to handle all at once and she decided to lie down next to her. “Never know you two so heavily involved like that but I do see the problem.”

 

“He doesn’t want to see that we can’t be together and now he don’t even want to be my friend. I guess it all for the best.”

 

“What will you do when you see him again?”

 

“I don’t know…probably nothing…just turn me head and go on bout me business I guess.”

 

“And when he be with Emilie?”

 

“Matilda he was never mine. He was always Emilie’s,” she cried.

 

“Dear…dear Eliza,” she said patting her shoulder.

 

“I hate feeling this way. I just really hate feeling so lost and confused.”

 

“I no understand…why you two end up fighting in the first place?”

 

“Because of Will...,” she said quietly. “I told him that I will still marry Will.”

 

“A man in love no want hear bout another man.”

 

“Will was my man before he come back,” she defended. “I can’t break Will’s heart like that.”

 

Matilda had to admit that Eliza’s situation had gotten far too complicated for her to offer any sage words to assist her friend.

 

“Eliza this is something that you have to figure out on your own. I can’t really advise you.”

 

“I know Matilda but I have dealt with nuff in me life. Drake is the least of me troubles. I can get past this unhappiness. When Will comes back Drake would be gone already and life will get back to normal.”

 

“I just have a feeling that Mr. Drake no will make this slide so easy.”

 

“I don’t care what he do. I know what I have to do even if it hurt.”

 

 

Verandah…

Robert and Gloria were sitting outside on the verandah enjoying the cool of the evening.

 

“Robert I can’t believe I haven’t seen that witch Eliza around lately.”

 

“Why you care so much about Eliza?”

 

“It’s none of your business,” she responded irritated.

 

“Then don’t ask me about her again.”

 

“Robert I’m sorry,” she softened. “I’m a bit stressed having to deal with all our guests.”

“And all your extra work.”

 

Gloria chose to ignore his comment. “I was very happy when Mr. James took everyone to St. George’s.”

 

“Gloria, what do you want now?”

 

“Hmmm…nothing really but since you asked…I just want you to take me to Ms. Abigail.”

 

“Gloria, you crazy!” He looked at her in disbelief.

 

“I need her to do something for me.”

 

“You know once you deal with the devil he expect payback.”

 

“I can handle that as long as I get what I want.”

 

“What do you want Gloria? Eliza gone…Drake in your bed…”

 

“I could slap you Robert for saying such things but I still need your help. So will you take me or not?”

 

“I’ll take you but you must do something for me this time.”

 

“I’ll do anything.”   

Chapter 8 by chocolate470

Immediately after his arrival back to the island Drake entered the unoccupied drawing room searching for anything to relieve his broken heart. He found it fairly quickly - an unopened bottle of Jamaican rum...who needed a glass...a shot straight up and everything would be fine. It burned going down but at least it drew his thoughts away from the memory of Eliza's supposed rejection.

It was a long climb up to an empty, lonely room and how was his room, back at the estate going to feel...colder...emptier. All other occupants were peacefully at rest while he alone remained awake. What would his father think of him trying to soothe his pain away with drink. He took another swig.

It was the one time that he missed Ezekiel's presence struggling as he was to unbutton his shirt and take off his boots. Ah it wasn't worth the effort... The alcohol was already working its magic. Help me forget...Yet he knew for certain that by the time he fell asleep the bottle would be empty and the name Eliza would still be on his lips. Another large swallow and then he broke off in song...

Alas, my love, you do me wrong,

To cast me off discourteously.

For I have loved you well and long,

Delighting in your company.

Drake's entry into song was cut short by a mad dash to his bathroom - stew, wine, rum and pity didn't mix well. 

 

Meanwhile...

Matilda hadn't left her side. They talked for a little while longer until she fell asleep. Sleep escaped Eliza. She couldn't help but recall Drake's pained expression and his feeling of hurt and rejection. You certainly have given me great powers Drake Brodie...

She had to go and say that she loved him. She had to take that chance knowing that there was no possible way that they could ever be together...happy in love. Why?...race, class divisions. Their society didn't consider her worthy of polishing his boots much less loving him as she did. All her tears had already been shed so instead of crying she sighed heavily.

Easing her way off the bed she made sure not to awaken Matilda who had turned over on her side. She moved carefully over to her chest and opened its compartment retrieving her hidden treasure trove. All her precious treasures were contained in a wooden box that George had built for her a while ago. She sat on the floor and perused the box's contents - a lock of her mother's hair, a button from her father's favorite shirt, an embroidered handkerchief that needed a good wash and other small trinkets that she had found over the years. Of course there was Ms. Ann. Time and endless play had taken away most of her luster but her eyes still blazed bright blue.

Close your eyes.

Drake, what is it?

I'm not going to show you unless you close them.

Surprise!

Drake you are the most wonderful person in the whole world!

And you are my best friend Eliza.

"We allowed love and lost to destroy our friendship," Eliza said clutching the doll tightly to her chest. "My love... will we ever be the same again."

 

Sunday...

As per usual the Bay's residents attended mass at St. John's Anglican Cathedral. It was brick building built by slaves in 1812. It was an important structure that saw the coronation of Kings from the Mosquito Coast off Spanish Honduras.

The English customarily were seated properly on the frontal pews while blacks occupied the back and the balcony pews. Eliza seated herself in one of these balcony pews earnestly praying to God for an end to her sorrows and for solace to come her way.

Drake on the other hand had awoken to an alcohol-induced headache. He pulled the covering over his face trying to fend off the glare from the sun's harsh rays. This day would be made for going down by the coast and sunning oneself. Emilie would be requesting that he accompany her but all he wanted to do was curl up in bed until it was time to go back.

After ten minutes a thump on his door propelled him to arise.

"Leave me in peace! I'll be down shortly."

He yawned and stretched his limbs. The half-empty rum bottle rolled unto the floor spilling some of its contents along the way. Damn... the floor was wet and so was the bed partially. The maid would probably believe that he had peed himself. Looking downwards he tried to remember how he had gotten to bed and why he was still attired in his evening clothes and boots. He smelled of stale rum and his mouth reeked. A good body and mouth wash twice over would take care of it but what about his heart...it still ached for the want of her.  

 

Blacks might have been going to church but they still held on to some of their own African traditions. Ms. Abigail was a prime example of this held on custom. She could only be described as the Bay's ‘obeah woman' - the only person that black residents would turn to when they needed a quick way of having something done for them or against their fellow man. Many knew where she dwelled but never really committed it to memory out of fear.

Ms. Abby, as she was sometimes referred, lived in a ramshackle wooden building on the outskirts of town. The structure was perched precariously on a hill surrounded by her bottles of herbs, portions and animal peculiarities. There was no fear of it falling - people believed that witchcraft kept it there.

No one could estimate the year of her birth. Her face had hardly a wrinkle and she refused to reveal her age.  When her dark eyes gazed upon anyone it felt as though their secret wants and desires were instantly revealed. She preferred vagabond attire to standard female dress.  Judging by her fee....20 shillings which was three months wages for a common household servant, she could easily afford whatever she wanted.

Gloria stood defiantly. She was trying to acquire her services with the little funds she possessed. Robert looked on warily. The whole atmosphere was strange and so was Ms. Abby. He couldn't believe that he had allowed Gloria to talk him into bringing her here especially on a Sunday.

"I only have seven shillings," Gloria argued, "something can be done with seven shillings."

"I work for nothing less than 20 shillings. If you don't have it then you better go."

"I don't have it and I'm still not going."

Robert was suddenly afraid for Gloria. Ms. Abigail was sure to cast a spell on her for such insolence. "Gloria it better we go." He tried pulling her away but Gloria twisted out of his grasp.

"Robert, me and Ms. Abby have business to handle."

Ms. Abby stared at her intently. "Child you don't want to mess with me. I already told you me price. Heed your friend advice and leave this place. You can't afford my methods for whatever you want to do."

Gloria smirked and walked off with Robert quickly following behind.

"What a wasted trip. The old witch could have given me something to start things off."

"Gloria please hush up. You no want Ms. Abigail to hear you."

"I thought you man enough not to be afraid."

"There are things in this world that you don't mess with. Even I know that to be true."

 

St. George's...

"Drake, could we please go walking by the shore? It is so beautiful out there and we could spread our blankets and lay on the beach."

"For the second time Emilie, my answer is no," Drake responded rubbing his temple. There was a dull thud on the side of his head.

"Are you feeling alright?"

"Would you please stop questioning me. For goodness sake I'm just tired from my journey yesterday," he responded irritated.

Emilie cast her eyes away from him then lamented, "I shouldn't have come to this place. You always seem to be cross with me."

"I warned you against coming along with me but you insisted."

"Ok I'm sorry if my coming upsets you this much. I really didn't mean to let it happen. I just...I just wanted to learn about my fiancé's home and be with you. You were so busy lately. It was almost as if you forgot that I existed," she said playing with her fingers.

"Emilie it's not your fault," he comforted squeezing her hand, "I'm the one to blame for my own unhappiness. If you could just give me a couple of hours I'm certain to be back to the old Drake."

"I certainly hope so." He cracked a smile and she returned with one of her own. "I'll leave you alone then," she said kissing his cheek before standing and walking off.

 

"So she's not Eliza," he sighed, "I feel like a piece of wood drifting off to sea."

She is your fiancée. A woman who is willing and able to love you...

"It's still not the same but it will have to do...for now at least."

He resigned himself to the notion that if he had to settle for Emilie then he would make the best of it. Eliza didn't want his love so why fall into a deep depression over something that would never be.

"When I get back I will stick to my aim."

 

As the weeks passed on by Matilda noticed the subtle changes that occurred between the two. Eliza became quiet and reserved while Drake was distant from his household friends.

Eliza noticed other changes as well. He spent most of his daylight hours at his father's company while his evenings were spent with Emilie going to dinner parties or musical concertos. Sometimes his English friends would manage to take him away for either a game of cricket or attending the race track.

The few times that Drake spent alone at the estate Gloria tried to garner his attention by striking up meaningless conversations. Sometimes his only response would be a quick head nod yes or no and nothing more. During this time he also began sprouting a beard. Not that it was of any consequence to her but it made him look much older and stringent. 

Eliza started to hate being at the estate because Drake was never far away from her thoughts. She felt that a change would be good for the well being of her soul. One day Aunt Bessie offered such an opportunity and she immediately accepted. One of Mr. Brodie's Parliamentary acquaintances needed a temporary replacement at their residence until their cook became well again. Eliza was highly recommended.

Matilda was far from happy about Eliza's eagerness to leave. She gazed on helplessly as Eliza packed her few belonging and got prepared for her journey.

"You can't runaway from your troubles."

"What troubles? Drake has made up his mind about us and I'm glad about it."

"Stop lying. If you were happy you wouldn't be leaving. Mr. Drake turn you upside down and you can't handle it like you think you could." Matilda always knew where things stood even if she didn't want to see if for herself.

"Matilda you right. The longer Drake here I can't stop thinking about him."

"No matter how far you go he will still stay on your mind."

"I know but it will be much easier." She had finished her packing and had taken off her head wrap replacing it with her bonnet. "He already stop thinking bout me so I must do the same."

"I doubt he stop thinking bout you. Just look at how he is and the way he acting. He no happy Eliza. Man have a lot of pride and sometime it hard for them to admit something no right especially when they feel hurt."

"He no understand I hurt too!" She became tired of speaking about herself and Drake. "This talk is foolish. Drake and I are not equals. Gial Matilda it's time for me to go," she said wrapping her shawl around her and picking up her bag.

"I know and I'm going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too. Take care of yourself and watch out for Gloria."

 

Aunt Bessie was downstairs waiting to bid her farewell but so were Gloria and Robert whispering to each other.

"Your little plan worked very well."

 

"It's amazing when things come along. I certainly didn't need Ms. Abby after all. I can work wonders with a surprising opportunity and a worried Aunt."

"Who has Mr. Brodie's ear..."

 

Matilda chose to stay behind in the background while Mr. George stood by the gig taking her small bag and placing it at the back.

"You'll do well at Mrs. Rose but I'm sure you'll come back soon enough," Aunt Bessie said giving her a hug.

 

"Safe journey," Gloria added rather suspiciously.

"Coming from you Gloria thanks but no thanks. I'll be back soon."

"By the time you get back Drake would already have sung glory hallelujah more than once," she whispered by Eliza's ear. Eliza turned around angrily and gave her a hard slap. If it wasn't for Mr. George holding her back she would have given Gloria a good beating.

"Come on Ms. Eliza you don't need to be doing this right now."

"I'm sorry Mr. George."

"Papa, do something! She just hit me!"

"I won't do nothing. Go tell your mother like you always do."

"I can't believe my own father won't defend me."

"Gloria it's best you be going to the kitchen because Matilda will need your help more than ever. Robert you also have your chores to do."

The disagreement was ended and Eliza climbed into the carriage. It was time to leave her troubles with Drake behind.

As she and Mr. George left the estate Eliza felt like she was leaving part of herself behind. Sure it was only for a short while but she couldn't remember leaving the estate for very long periods of time. She always had either her mother or Aunt to depend upon and now she would have to rely on herself. Everyone has to grow up sometime and feel what its like to be out on your own...

 

Drake hadn't noticed Eliza being gone that evening or the next or the next. He was much too busy playing out his act of trying to please and accommodate Emilie but as the days went by it was becoming much more of a struggle.

It seemed that Gloria's carefully orchestrated plan didn't work out either. She finally understood Eliza's workload and wasn't very pleased about it. Ms. Olivia wasn't able to provide much comfort because she had her own work to do. She prayed every night for Eliza's return because it was clear that without her she was unable to get close to Drake. The weeks were going by so quickly and soon Drake would be leaving the Bay.

How was our dear Eliza faring at her new residence? very well indeed. Mrs. Rose was impressed by her meals and the way she took care of the kitchen. Sometimes she joked that she would keep her on permanently. Eliza felt more secure in her new surroundings. Even though Mrs. Rose had other servants they weren't much into striking up conversations. She did miss Matilda and her Aunt and there was always Drake. Every night he was haunting her dreams.  

When Emilie explained that she and Amy were planning to attend Afternoon Tea at Sara's Drake thought it was a great opportunity to speak with Jonathan about his dilemma. He rode over to Jonathan's a clean shaven man having decided that taking care of a beard was much too tedious a task.

 

Jonathan's residence...

"Your mind and eyes seem weary," Jonathan said handing Drake a glass of brandy which he requested.

"I've been working many hours and trying to please both my father and Emilie."

Jonathan's home lied near the river. It wasn't on the scale of the Brodie Estate but his three bedroom colonial served its purpose for now. Upon his arrival he saw the disturbed countenance on Drake's face and offered him a seat on the verandah.

"That may be true but it may be more. Have you told Emilie of your plan?"

"Of what plan do you speak?" he asked taking a sip.

"I assumed that since you are spending most of your time at the company that it means that you..."

"Honestly Jonathan I haven't decided as yet."

"Then what it is? What troubles you my good friend."

"I'm lost and my heart is sick," he responded gulping down the brandy. Jonathan poured him another glass. He looked like he needed it. This was very serious. Drake didn't usually drink but when he did it was usually because something affected him deeply. The last was the break up with Helen.

"You can tell me anything at anytime. I have always kept your confidence."

"Is something wrong with me Jonathan? Women that I fall madly in love with always seem to reject me eventually."

"You are being absurd. You are handsome, charming and intellectual. Any woman would want that from a gentleman such as yourself. I can't believe Emilie has fallen out of love with you."

"It is not of Emilie I speak," he uttered slowly.

Jonathan shifted in his chair unsettled by his friend's admission and fearful of breaking his confession if he spoke. He waited for him to continue.

"Do you know what its like to be a prisoner of love? As I speak to you now I'm thinking of her. I believed my aloofness would make her come running back to my arms but alas she has kept her distance as well."

"Why do you seek to punish Eliza?"

"How did you know it was her?" Drake stared at him suspiciously.

"Whom else could it possibly be but her."

"Am I that transparent where others can see my deepest emotion?"

"Drake relax and remain calm...I only guessed your heart. It's only natural for me to think about her because your close friendship."

"You are indeed wiser than many I know."

"This storyteller has his own tale to tell of love and lost. I have been where you are now. Long story short...my father found out about the forbidden affair and swore to disinherit me. As you can see I chose my father's endowment over my love for her."

"I shan't forget about Eliza that easily."

"You couldn't forget about Eliza even if you sailed half-way around the world. I certainly haven't forgotten about her after all this time."

 

Sara's residence...

"You have a very beautiful home," Emilie remarked.

She and Amy had walked through Sara's home before coming to her backyard garden. A table surrounded by four chairs displayed a tea service with sandwiches and trifles set for their afternoon tea.

"I try my best. It certainly doesn't compare to my father's estate but we can always try. Where is that brother of mine?"

"Spending the day with my husband....They have always preferred each other's company."

"Best friends as they've been for some time. Speaking of company...Drake has been putting in many hours at James Brodie," Sara said pouring them each a cup of tea. "Has he informed you about his plans?"

"I really don't understand your implied speech," Emilie responded taking her cup. "What plans are you speaking of?"

"I believe my brother plans on returning to the Bay to take over my father's company," she responded casually biting a piece of trifle.

"To my knowledge we plan to marry and reside in England. Before we came, he was in the process of acquiring his own business over there. Therefore your statement is very odd indeed." Emilie was clearly upset and Amy tried to quiet an oncoming storm.

"If it were true Emilie I'm sure that Drake would have spoken to you about it already. Important decisions aren't made without those you love."

"Of course Amy is right," Sara smiled, "I didn't mean to cause any tense feelings." Emilie nodded her head and took a sip of her tea. "You do not have to trouble my brother about what I just told you. By the way have you heard any news about your father and his health?"

"I haven't any news and it worries me a great deal."

"I'm sure Drake wouldn't mind if the visit is shortened."

"I'm certain he won't mind in the least."

"Come on you two eat up. I surely don't want all these delicious delights to go to waste."

 

Jonathan's...

"Who was she?"

"I respect her enough not to utter her name. Rarely do I see her. I know that she is married and has a son...my son... but I digress. Drake this is not about me. You still haven't answered my question."

"Oh...she still plans on marrying another man even though she has professed her love to me."

"Drake do you hear yourself speak? Have you thought about Eliza's circumstances compared to your own?"

"I would admit that I haven't...really. At the time she was trying to explain but I wouldn't allow her to do so."

"Isn't that strange..."

"Alright Jonathan I'm an ass! And very foolish! Does that please you?!" He rose up quickly and stared afar off.

"It doesn't please me that my friend is feeling despair. Please sit you sought out my advice and I'm here to help however I can." Drake sat down once again and took a last sip of his brandy refraining from taking another glass. "And what of Emilie? Do you love her equally or is it more a brother and sister sort of love?" Jonathan was truly gathering all the relevant information but at this point Drake didn't mind his questioning.

"The latter and before you ask Ms. Edith's death didn't factor into this feeling of love towards Eliza. It must have been there all along...buried beneath the surface. Then it just overwhelmed me when I saw her again. She may not have been my first love but she is my one true love," he said sincerely. Jonathan believed his words.

"A wise man should always have a plan. Your heart was fully engaged but your mind was not."

"My stubbornness has also devastated us both." He looked at him then continued, "I want to reclaim my friendship with Eliza but I really don't know how to do it. It has been very difficult." Jonathan laughed.

"You want to reclaim more than friendship my friend but everything takes time and patience. You need to end your engagement discreetly and gather money for your new life with Eliza."

"And what of your father? Given his prominence in the community, as well as his seat at the Public Meeting, he will be greatly upset. He will also be forced to give over the headship of his company over to Sara and her husband. It won't be easy. My question to you my friend is... are you willing to make the sacrifice for love."

"True love is never easy but at this point I'm willing to make any sacrifice for her...for us. I'm not able to fight this ache in my heart nor do I want to. Without her there is nothing."

"Pray for us and pray that I'm able to convince Eliza that it will work out between us. You are the only person that understands what I'm experiencing."

He placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "I'll pray that you remain strong throughout whatever obstacles that may arise. My friend you have greater courage than I ever did."

"It helps to have a good and wise friend like you've always been to me Jonathan."

End Notes:
I believe I have one more chapter to go...
Chapter 9 by chocolate470

The horseback ride towards to the estate was filled with a mixture of exhilaration and guarded optimism. Jonathan had been able to uplift his spirits and chart a reasonable course of action. All he needed to do was convince Eliza that the dream was attainable. I pray that you heed my words Eliza and believe in us.

Upon reaching he dismounted giving over the charge of his horse "Jupiter" to Robert. Instantly he headed towards the kitchen where he met and greeted Matilda and Gloria who were preparing dinner. He noticed that Eliza wasn't about. Through the back door walking briskly to the wash house but even there she was nowhere to be found.

He caught sight of Ezekiel playing with his marbles and yelled, "Ezekiel, have you seen Ms. Eliza?! And if you have please tell me where you have seen her last!"

"I haven't seen her Mr. Drake. I haven't seen her for many days. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Ezekiel's words stunned him a bit. "Yes there is something I want you to do. Please ask Matilda to meet me in the drawing room for a private conversation."

"Yes Mr. Drake."

As his heart became anxious he took a couple of deep breaths. Could she be ill? If that were true wouldn't he have heard about it or was he too wrapped up in his charade to have noticed. It was best to remain calm until he heard what Matilda had to say.

 

The Drawing Room...

"You called for me Mr. Drake."

"Indeed Matilda. You may take a seat."

"Just the same I prefer to remain standing. I believe I already know what you are going to ask me."

"Where is she Matilda? Is she ill?" he asked anxiously, "Ezekiel has informed me that he hasn't seen her around for days."

"She is not ill Mr. Drake...she's gone."

"Gone?" The word fell off his lips. "Gone," he uttered again softly. His mind was in total disbelief and his knees buckled. He had to take a seat at the nearby center table. "How? Where? Why?" he asked in succession with his face turned away.

"From what I could gather, one of your father's associate's needed a temporary servant and when Eliza's was asked to take the position she gladly accepted."

Temporary...his heart was relieved but he needed her here...now. "But why Matilda? Why?"

"Do you really need to ask that question Mr. Drake?" Her words were more an accusation but he couldn't be incensed by it.

Of course Matilda knew about their affair and why wouldn't she? - as Jonathan was to him so was Matilda to her. Her response only drove home a point quite clearly - he was responsible for Eliza's sudden departure.

"Mr. Drake..."

"Matilda, do you have any knowledge of where she is employed?"

"Mr. George would know better than I. He was the one that took her there."

It was all he needed to know. "Thank you Matilda for your kind assistance. You may take your leave," he said in a resigned tone finally looking her way again.

"Mr. Drake I don't mean to be rude but there is one more thing I need to ask. May I speak my mind plainly?"

"You may."

"Eliza is a part of my family and I would never want to see her hurt in anyway. Do you truly love her or are you...you know."

"I truly love and want to be with her very greatly. I hope my answer settles any misgivings you may have regarding my involvement with Eliza."

"Indeed it does Mr. Drake," she smiled before quietly exiting.

 

"Eliza you are not going to make this easy for me. I didn't expect you to."  

"The world always revolves around Drake Brodie and damn the rest of us!"

His comment brought back her words from the last time they were together. "You are right Eliza. I am selfish and spoiled!" He threw the centerpiece against the wall where it shattered.

 

Soon after adjusting his manner Drake met with Mr. George who informed him that it was approximately a three hour journey by carriage to Mr. Thomas Rose's residence. The time was short and they could start off in the morning when his father, Emilie and Aunt Diana would be away at St. George's. He would come up with a plausible excuse not to accompany them.

That evening Drake remained in his room barely sampling his roast chicken dinner. Unable to judge his changed behavior Emilie had wanted to speak to him but decided against it - men rarely shared their feelings and kept many things hidden she surmised.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Rose's Residence...

Being at the Rose's residence couldn't have been better. The only task she was asked to perform was meal preparation and it meant that she had a lot more time to spare and wander the expansive grounds.

Since she wasn't a part of the main household staff she was afforded another benefit - a small cottage that contained a bed, dresser, a table and two chairs.

It was a most fulfilling experience. She had room to breathe - making her own decisions without relying too heavily on others.

 

Saturday...

A flushed Mrs. Rose entered the kitchen as Eliza and her kitchen helper were preparing the last set of tuna sandwiches for lunchtime.

"These sandwiches look glorious and taste very delightful," she remarked sampling a couple. "Eliza you have a visitor, Mr. Drake Brodie."

Immediately she felt goose pimples creeping all over her body. She didn't want to see him but if she offered an excuse it would seem like a rebuff on her part to her true employers.

"Don't just stand there gapping Eliza...go on. He prefers to speak to you outside. He doesn't want to be intrusive." Slowly she removed her apron and set it aside. "Eliza since it's almost lunchtime you should take him and his carriage driver some of the sandwiches. We have more than enough."

"Yes Mrs. Rose."

Why was he there? What did he want to speak to her about? Just some of the questions that invaded her mind before she went out to see him.

 

Seeing Drake again was like an awakening. He still spurred an emotion within her that those who are in love could only feel. A debonair gentleman dressed in his walking suit, cane, black gloves and hat which he removed upon seeing her. Thankfully that horrid beard was done away with and his handsome features had returned.

"If I should happen to guess who brought you here I would say Mr. George," she remarked as she walked down the stairs.

"You have guessed correctly. Eliza, are you so unhappy in seeing me once again," he responded slyly and showing that signature smile. Her heart quaked with that smile.

"It's rather odd that you are here. You were pretty clear in your views about our friendship the last time we were together."

"I humbly ask your forgiveness," he bowed, "It was a failure on my part to not recognize the consequence of my statement. I've missed your company...terribly."

"I haven't missed your company," she responded poignantly. Drake, however, was unmoved because he knew she told a lie. "Mrs. Rose asked me to give you and Mr. George these sandwiches." She handed him the sandwiches harshly. "I could understand Mr. George needing them but my efforts shouldn't be wasted on the likes of you." Drake smiled. When given the opportunity Eliza had a sharp tongue similar to her mother.

"They look very delicious. I will surely thank Mrs. Rose on our return."

"On our return? Where are you taking me again?"

"A ride along the Roses' estate if it so pleases you. Mrs. Rose has already consented your time."

"It certainly does not please me. Drake I have my work to attend to so if you'll excuse me." Eliza gasped when a touch of his hand halted her escape.

"Eliza...please...I need to speak with you for only a few moments."

"There is nothing more...that needs to be said between us. Please allow me to be on my way."

"Must I go down on my hands and knees imploring you to come with me?"

Drake would cause a scene - an embarrassment she didn't want to endure.

"Just a few...you promise." He nodded his head yes.

She graciously greeted Mr. George and climbed into the box carriage. The carriage certainly served the purpose of allowing them to have a private conversation she surmised. Drake stayed behind momentarily dividing the sandwiches evenly with Mr. George. Completing his task he entered the carriage sitting across from her. His hat, cane, gloves and the sandwiches rested beside. Curious eyes stared at her intently but Eliza chose to avoid their gaze. The carriage began to stir.

"How does a man get back in your good graces?"

"I didn't know women such as myself have such power over men."

"You've always had great power over me."

"I think you are referring to my body. I've been told that our bodies are our greatest assets to men."

"I'm not just any man! I'm your best friend. I'm also a man who loves and wants to be with you."

"Isn't it enough that you have broken my heart and yet you still have it?" Her question became a tearful confession.

"My heart is broken as well and still you have its love." He took her hand and placed it on his nervously beating heart.

"Oh now I have your love. It isn't fair that you push and pull at my emotions."

"I didn't mean the words I said. Anger got the better of me."

"My choosing to marry Will was not a slight against you. It was an acceptance of the way society deems our affair. I'm dissolution by this love and dreams of us being together. All we are able to share is our devotion for one another and nothing more. You don't want to grasp that concept but I have because I must." She tried desperately to pull her hand away but he held it tightly.

"I know you believe that there is no future for us. Why wouldn't you brought up in this hypocritical society that tells us who we can and cannot fall in love with. But I tell you my love there is hope for us. I need you to believe and trust that I can make it a reality."

"I want to believe so much but we have too many obstacles to overcome," she said tears streaming down her face.

His heart ached to see her in such despair. He started to wipe her tears away caressing her dampened cheek. "Eliza we can overcome all of them together. I've already started to formulate a workable plan but I need you by my side. I'm begging you to please give us a chance at love and happiness."

He pulled her into his arms and forcefully brought down his lips upon hers before releasing them.

"Say that you believe in us," he beseeched while eagerly searching her brown eyes for a favorable response.

There was a fierce battle raging within her - forever yielding to societal dictates or rising up to take a hold of a new destiny.

"I believe!" She yelled joyfully. Love made her believe.

Hungrily their tongues played off each other and arms encircled into a tight embrace. A flurry of fervent kisses followed until their lips tingled with satisfaction.

Drake quieted his growing arousal as Eliza remained seated comfortably on his lap. She rested her head against his fingers calmly stroking his soft strands. Drake's arms encircled her waist. Inevitably euphoria is replaced with something else.

"I fear for you."

"Why?"

"I should say I fear for me. I would have a heavy burden to carry being the one responsible for taking away your ideal future."

"My ideal future," he chuckled, "Marrying a woman that I don't love...taking over my father's company. Do you consider those things my ideal future?"

"Tell me what do you want most in this world?" He asked as he kissed her neck gently.

"I want to be with you all my life."

"Being with you is my ideal future."

"I'll say it then. I love you too much to ever let you go and be with someone else."

"I love you too."

If it were possible to tarry in his arms kissing and speaking words of love then she would have but she knew she had to return and impressed that fact upon him. Drake reluctantly agreed and signaled George to drive the carriage back to the residence.

"Where do you reside on this estate?"

"I have been allowed to dwell in a small cottage at the south end of the property. It's fairly easy to find."

"My beauty you stay there alone?"

"Yes I do. Drake it sounds like you have a something brewing."

"I plan on returning and spending the whole evening with the woman I love. We will be able to talk some more and do other things." Eliza gave a small laugh.

"I'll tell Mr. Thomas that I am expecting your company later on this evening."

"Ah I see you've already made a friend."

"A friend who understands how to keep a confidence..." During her short stay she recognized two other female servants entertaining late night guests.

"Maybe I should stay on for dinner."

"Dinner is hours away and I couldn't bear you being around. I want to leave Mr. and Mrs. Rose with a very good impression of myself."

"So if things don't come to past between us then you'll seek employment elsewhere."

"Drake..."

"Alright we won't start another contention. One last sweet kiss and then I'll let you go."

She happily granted his request until she heard the carriage come to a halt. As the two exited they found Mrs. Rose waiting for their return. Drake engaged his winning charms.

"Mrs. Rose I would love to thank your thoughtfulness. The sandwiches were excellent." even though he hadn't taken a single bite...

"You should thank Eliza for being an excellent cook." I've thanked her enough. He watched as she climbed up the stairs her hips swaying. "Mr. Brodie I would invite you to dinner but I know you live some distance away."

"You are correct madam but thank you for the kind offer." Don't worry Mrs. Rose I'll be receiving dessert this evening. "I'll bid you ladies a fond farewell," he bowed.

"Goodbye Mr. Brodie."

"He is a fine young gentleman and very handsome as well. Sadly my Clara is still young in years or he would have made a great suitor." If I were twenty years younger...

"Yes ma'am. It is very sad." She waved after them and her eyes sent a silent message of love to him which he clearly understood and smiled.

 

Evening's shadows couldn't appear more quickly for Eliza. She was in a cheerful mood as she went about performing her duties. A bid goodnight to the household and she was off to take a bath and await her lover's arrival.

With the full moon overhead she listened to the nightly sounds and then...

Knock...knock...   

"Who is it?"

"The man who adores you..."

Opening the door Drake greeted her with a passionate kiss readily discarding his jacket and removing her cotton nightgown.

"Pardon me my love if I'm impatient. I've had many lonely nights without you by my side."

He lifted her up in his arms and laid her down gently. She waited as he continued divesting himself of his clothes and footwear.

He stood at the foot of her bed admiring her dark beauty - smooth skin, womanly curves that were begging to be explored. She too marveled at his naked form being displayed - chiseled torso, muscular thighs and a huge arousal - its pink tip glistening in the moonlight.

"Come to me...quickly," she whispered, enticing him.

She moaned softly and closed her eyes for his fingers had entered her sex...lovingly caressing its folds. His other hand tenderly prodded her erect peaks.

"Eliza, open your eyes and look at me." Through her silent cries of yearning she fluttered them opened. "See how you make me want you...remember..."

She gazed into those brilliant blue eyes glazed over with need then suddenly her body quivered as she came. Thereafter his mouth settled on her lips and then quickly he let go again.

"My love I must have you...now."

"Then have me..."

In one swift motion his manhood was buried deep inside stroking her love center. His lips pulled and suckled on her sensitive tips. She was barely hanging on clawing away at his back panting and moaning with every movement he made. The bed creaked as his thrusts moved further and further within her until their bodies dripping with sweat soon found ecstasy. They fell back into each other's arms laying soft kisses on tender lips.   

 

Eliza shifted her weight slightly spooned as it was against his body. Drake had awaited the correct moment to tell her.

"My plan entails that I must return to England rather quickly," he said kissing her shoulder.

"How quickly?"

"Early next week..."

The sudden tension in her body signaled that maybe she objected to this course but he so wanted to put aside his engagement and procure funds in a short space of time. "Eliza if it is too early then I will change the time of my departure."

She closed her eyes and stroked his forearm. "If you leave I fear losing you but if you don't go another agony will be prolonged. You must go. You can't stay"

She was indeed an impressive woman. He was truly blessed.

"There is another thing that I must tell you," he said pulling her closer.

"Go on..."

"Upon my return you must prepare to leave the Bay. Therein you must realize that we may never be able to return."

It meant that they would have to leave their family and friends behind forever. For a moment she wondered if she really understood the cost of their being together.

"I understand what we must do but I'm willing to make any sacrifice to be with the man I truly love."

"I'm reminded many times why I love you so much."

She turned around and kissed him sweetly but he lengthened the kiss pouring forth all his intense emotions. Eliza felt lightheaded as they let go.

"That was a kiss."

"I do have that effect. Surprising that you've just realized it."

"It is good that you have removed that awful beard or I should have pulled on it for that smart comment."

"You hated my beard? I thought it made me appear very mature and professional."

"It made you appear mean and stodgy. I may allow you a moustache or the fashionable sideburn but never a beard," she joked.

"Oh you may allow me..." he tickled her briefly before a yawn escaped his lips.

"Sleep my love you must be very tired."

The back and forth journey had tired him but still he insisted, "I'm not tired...ahhh...I want to talk..."

"I'll take you somewhere...marry me...Eliza...say you'll..." he had fallen asleep.

She could hear her heart beating rapidly but she wasn't going to rouse him. If he meant it then he'll ask again. "And I'll say yes my love."

 

Drake slept on but she didn't. It was the first time they had remained together for a whole evening. She carefully examined all his facial features - tracing every line, remembering every detail...just in case she would never see him again. A terrible thought but tomorrow was never promised to any man not even to two people who deserve to give each other love.  

 

Dawn Breaking...

She left his side early to prepare a meal for his return journey. By the time she went back to the cottage dawn's early light was peaking through the horizon. Drake sat on the edge of the bed bathed and changed with a wide grin on his face.

"My Locket!" she exclaimed.

"Repaired and ready to be worn by my beauty." He placed the locket around her neck. "I'm sure you won't lose it again so quickly."

"Of course I won't because you won't be here." She paused briefly then said, "I brought you some breakfast for your return back home." She gave him a tiny wicker basket that contained bread, cheese and two boiled eggs.

He kissed her and said, "I'm already home. Wherever you are that's where my home will always be so don't consider this a long goodbye." She realized that he wouldn't be coming back to see her before he left.

"I'll try not to..." but the tears still came and he leaned his body against hers. This was going to be the saddest goodbye.

"When I leave here I don't want your mind changing. I promise I'll come back for you. Only death can keep us apart."

The look of love, adoration and yes sadness staring back at her from those mesmerizing blue eyes captured her soul and she believed every line he spoke implicitly. Their lips drew into a passionate kiss that was a mixture of love and sorrow.

Mr. Thomas' small knock at the door announced that it was time for him to leave. They held each other again and he squeezed her hand gently. She reclined against the doorframe watching him mount "Jupiter". He gazed at her once more and one swift kick and he was off...gone but not forever. She silently prayed, Lord bring him back to me safely...

End Notes:

Ok so I miscalculated the number of chapters I had left. It is actually two. Next update will be my last...promise...LOL!

Chapter 10 by chocolate470

The Drawing Room...

"You are not upset that we are curtailing your visit home."

"I'm not upset," he said shying away from her imminent touch, "Your father is ill and understandably you are worried. If you'll excuse me...," he said as he exited.

"His cold behavior towards you confounds the mind. Emilie it was a huge mistake visiting this colony," Aunt Diana snorted.

"Drake needed to visit his family and friends after all these years. We are not going hold his behavior against him."

"Nevertheless I'm happy that we will be returning to some sort of normalcy."

"You are correct in your comment dear Aunt. I also hope that father is getting on well and Drake and I can get on with planning our wedding."

 

The Study...

"I'm surprised you called Gregory and I to the estate this evening father."

"I'm surprised as well but it was your brother who requested the meeting. He must have some great announcement. Ah here he is now..."

"What is this great news dear brother that requires our presence?"

"You will be happy to know dear sister that I've decided to return to England."

"Why would that be of any consequence to Gregory and I? I wish you were born with wings and then we would be rid of you very quickly!

"Sara, hold your tongue!" Gregory shouted.

Gregory's words and tone caught everyone off guard. Usually he was reserved and kept his thoughts to himself.

"Bravo Gregory! You've finally grown a backbone to counteract my sister the boar."

"If I'm a boar then you are stupid hyena! An ugly one at that considering those animals are..."

"That is quite enough bickering from the both of you. I've warned you two before to stop this nonsense," James warned angrily, "Drake is that the end of your announcement?"

"No father I have one more announcement," he sighed, "I've decided against taking over the leadership of James Brodie and Company."

"What?" James asked visibly disappointed. Sara felt an internal elation. "How did you arrive at this decision so soon?"

"It matters not how I came to this decision."

"It matters to me!" Max started barking. "Max, settle down!" The dog obeyed.

"It is my decision father."

"You heard him father it is his decision," Sara agreed.

"Drake has a good head for business. During his visit he has been able to increase my business two-fold and put the accounts in proper working order."

"And Gregory and I don't have these capabilities?! We run a successful business in the center of town on our own."

"Sara, be quiet! My daughter certainly needs to hold her tongue when gentlemen are speaking."

"Father I don't mean to be disrespectful but this discussion is over. My conscious is free from guilt over my decision. Gregory and Sara the company is now in your hands. Good luck."

"I still have some packing to complete so I'll take my leave."

 

"Gregory I would kindly ask you to take my daughter home. My mind needs to ponder this abrupt occurrence."

"But father..."

"Sara, we should go. Goodbye Mr. Brodie."

"Goodbye Gregory."

Sara lingered behind for a moment. "Sara I'm saying this for the last time...come along!"

 

"Why did you have to embarrass me in front of my father and brother?"

"For far too long I've allowed you to have your way but it will not happen any longer. In the coming days you will see things change drastically and it will be because of your doing. There are only so many times you can denigrate someone until he reacts."

Sara wondered what he actually meant but she kept her mouth closed and dutifully followed behind him.

 

Drake wasn't being of much assistance to Ezekiel who finished his packing. Occasionally Ezekiel would ask him a question and his response would be a simple yes or no. Drake was stretched out on his bed with his mind lost in thoughts of Eliza.

Maybe I am leaving too soon. I'm already missing you my love."

"I think I'm all finished Mr. Drake," Ezekiel said sitting by the side of the bed.

Drake came back to the present. "Oh yes Ezekiel thank you very much," he replied.

"I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too."

"I've taken good care of your marbles and kept them looking shiny."

"I'm happy to hear that but they are your marbles now so you can do whatever you like with them."

"I'm really going to miss you Mr. Drake," Ezekiel said again in a low tone.

"Come here Ezekiel." He moved closer and Drake gave him a hug.

He had come to view Ezekiel like a little brother and sadly his departure would cause him to be a casualty - as soon as he became of age his father would send him off to Mahogany camp with his Uncle Arthur.

"May I come in?"

"What do you want Gloria?"

"I wanted to give you a proper goodbye Mr. Drake."

"I'm still busy packing. When all the staff is gathered then you can say your goodbye."

"Alright," she sighed and stomped away. Someway somehow Eliza had gotten to Drake.

Aunt Diana was again conducted George and Robert regarding the luggage. Emilie stood aside as Drake bid farewell to the staff. He paused to stare off in the distance. Goodbye my love but wait for my return.

 

After Drake left Eliza had little joy remaining. Mrs. Rose was still personable and she performed her tasks well under her direction but she longed to go back to the estate if only to be around Matilda and her Aunt until Drake returned. The locket she kept hidden beneath her dress collar and when she was alone she caught herself fidgeting with its edges and remembering happier moments spent with her love.

Before long her employment at the Rose estate was completed. The third week of Drake's departure she was on her way back home.

"Eliza!"

"Matilda!" They yelled giving each other a hug.

"Finally you come back to us. So how was it?"

"Good. Good. I only had to cook and nothing else. I had my own little cottage to live in. Mrs. Rose was very good to me."

"Look like she like you a lot." Matilda admired Eliza's navy blue dress.

"One of her old dresses lying around. Old to her but new to me."

"I hear you."

"Where is everyone?"

"Their usual spots except for Gloria. Since Drake and his companions left she back to her old ways." She had to remind her.

"I'm going upstairs to change. I'll be back."

Unpacking then changing into her usual servant's garb her eyes became reacquainted with her tight surroundings. She was definitely going to miss her small cottage. The locket bounced around her neck and she thought about what it had come to symbolize - her future with Drake.

"Eliza you get down here child!" It was her Aunt Bessie calling.

Why wouldn't her Aunt come upstairs? She mentally questioned as she walked down the stairs.

"Aunt Bessie..."

She was surprised to see her Aunt Bessie, Mr. George, Matilda and Ezekiel standing around the kitchen table with a chocolate cake at the center.

"Oh my goodness..."

"It's good to have you home Eliza."

"I'm so happy to be back home."

 

Meanwhile...

On the other side of the world it had been an active three weeks for Drake. He had taken short trips to different parts of England and had spent a week in France. In between these journeys he had been able to sell his half of a partnership at considerable profit. He sold the property that he had purchased for his marriage life and in turn he acquired another property in Tyneside, England.

The day before his leaving for France he wrote Emilie a letter ending their engagement. Dissolving the relationship had been easier than expected. Upon their arrival to England, Emilie rushed to be by her father's side with her focus firmly on his immediate recovery. This unwavering dedication offered Drake an opportunity to ease his way out of the ill-fated relationship. He knew her receiving his letter at that time would be a cruel thing to do but it wasn't fair to go on pretending where there was no love on his part.

 

Brodie Estate...

That evening Eliza told Matilda all the sorted details of her last encounter with Drake including their plans to leave the Bay and start a new life together.

Matilda immediately asked, "Eliza, you still see your menses?"

"Matilda I no pregnant."

"Good cause now not the proper time. You must tell Aunt Bessie about this. She deserve to know."

"I can't. If she know then she will have to tell Mr. Brodie. She won't want me to go. Matilda I have a good chance at love

"If he come back."

"He will come back. My heart tell me so," she replied playing with her locket.

"What that? It very pretty."

"A gift from Drake and you can't tell anyone I have it." Eliza didn't take it off instead she allowed her to examine it around her neck.

"It really look like it cost a lot of money. I promise I won't say nothing. Mr. Drake tell me he love you but I still don't know if it will work as you say."

"I still going to take that chance."

"It make me think of Matthew and wanting him to come home safe."

"Always we women left behind to wait," Eliza bemoaned.

Matilda decided to lighten the mood.

"I think Gloria happy you home."

"Why?"

"She no work so hard in she born life."

"Happy to hear that she work so hard." They both shared a laugh. "It good to laugh with you again Matilda."

 

England...

Three days after his return from France Drake heard a hard knocking at the front door of his flat.

"Who is it?"

"It is your ex-fiancée who deserves to have an explanation."

He had been expecting her to make an appearance and he calmly opened the door. His eyes beheld an unkempt Emilie who was prepared to make her thoughts known.

"This is the way you cast off a woman whom you claimed to once love...sending a horrid letter during a very woeful time."

"I thought it best to end it now since my affection towards you had changed."

"You thought it best? Have you ever considered anyone's feelings but your own? Here I am being a nurse to my ill father and at the same time losing the love of my fiancé. I wonder if I'm being punished for some unknown reason. What have I done to cause your affections to wane?"

"The truth is I fell in love with an idea and not a real person."

"So I am not Helen Barton! I may look like her but could never be her. Is that it?" Unknowingly she had given him a way out without revealing his true love.

"I suppose...," he muttered.

"You selfish bastard!" A red welt came across the area where she slapped him.

"Emilie I'm asking you to leave...now!"

"I see now that your letter was indeed a blessing - better not to be married to a man who displays such cowardice!" She yelled before running out the door crying.

He realized that his handling of this situation had been very heartless but he couldn't reverse what had already been done. Returning to Eliza's arms became his only desire.

 

Late Afternoon Early May...

Eliza and Matilda were busily preparing the evening meal.

"Tomorrow we should go pick some ripe juicy mangoes and maybe some plums too."

"I don't feel like it."

"Come on Eliza. You can't sit around wasting your days away for some man. If you say he come back then he will. If he don't then he don't."

"Alright I go with you but I want to look for number eleven mangoes first."

"You to craving."

"You know those are the most delicious mangoes we grow."

 

Gloria entered the kitchen giving the both of them a quick glance.

"You two haven't finished preparing the dinner as yet?"

"If we received some kind of help from you then it would already be finished," Eliza responded.

"I'll tell Aunt Bessie that you have a smart mouth. Matilda has been having a bad influence on your character."

"You should be the last person to speak about anyone's character."

"You are just unhappy that Drake left you behind and is now married. You should be concentrating on Will. He is your man isn't he?" Gloria confronted her.

"You don't know anything about Drake or about my life so shut the bloody hell up!" she yelled as she pushed Gloria aside. Immediately Gloria pushed her hard causing her to stumble against the table. The locket swung free.

"What is that thing around your neck?"

"It is not your concern. It was a gift from a good friend."

"An unlikely story! You must have pilfered it from Ms. Elizabeth's jewelry box when your Aunt wasn't watching."

"I am not a thief!"

"We'll see about that. Give it to me!"

Matilda attempted to snatch it from around her neck but Eliza grabbed her hand and thereafter a fight ensued. Head scarves became undone, back and forth hair pulling and torn dresses mixed with a lot of shouting. They landed heavily on the ground with Eliza situated on top smacking hard at Gloria's face who kicked wildly trying to get her off.

"Eliza get off me! Matilda, please help!"

"Help you? I've been waiting for Eliza to beat your ass for a very long time. You enjoy stepping on people's toes too much."

She certainly wasn't getting involved with this squabble unless Eliza requested her assistance. From the looks of things she certainly didn't need her help. She popped a piece of carrot in her mouth and started to chew.

"Gloria don't you ever meddle in my affairs again!"

"Aunt Bessie, Momma!" Gloria yelled feeling every backhanded slap that Eliza was giving. Her face began to feel battered and she tasted blood in her mouth.

Gloria saw an opportunity to fend off her blows by taking a hold of her arms. She finally managed to push her off and immediately scampered away.

 

"Never knew you had it in you."

"Don't mess...with a woman...who is missing her gentleman," she said rising from the floor and retrieving her head scarf. She took a deep breath, smoothed out her strands and secured them under the scarf.

"I'll be offering my help this time when they give you punishment."

 

"Eliza I'm home!"

They both turned to see Drake standing by the kitchen door with a wicked grin on his handsome face. Eliza couldn't believe her eyes and her entire body went numb. So many nights she had prayed for his return and now her prayers were finally answered.

"Drake!" she screamed.

She rushed into his arms and they kissed passionately seemingly unaware of Matilda's presence in the room.

"Look at you," Eliza beamed. Drake had grown out his hair as well as his sideburns. "You look even more amazing than your last visit here."

"And you more radiant but why is your dress torn my love and your face damp with sweat."

"Ahem!"

"Matilda I'm sorry. It's good to see you as well. What has my beloved been doing all this while?" He asked as his hands still encircled her waist.

"Eliza is going to be in a bit of trouble. She and Gloria were just involved in a heated argument where some blows were thrown."

"My dear are you hurt?"

"A bit of bruising on my hands and my torn dress but otherwise I'm feeling happy that you have come back to me."

He kissed both of her hands sweetly and said, "I promise I would."

"And you've kept your promise."

 

"Eliza, have you gone mad! Look at what you have done to Gloria! What do you have to say for yourself?"

Gloria had brought along Mr. Brodie, Ms. Olivia and Aunt Bessie as her support. Ms. Olivia cuddled her bruised and beaten daughter by her side.

"She deserved a good beating. You allow her to prance around this estate while the rest of us carry the load."

"Eliza, that isn't any way to speak to Mr. Brodie," her Aunt chided.

"I'm speaking the truth!"

"I see it differently. You are being very disrespectful to this household and I will have to take the necessary steps to quell such unrestrained behavior. I thought very highly of your dear departed mother but never did I expect her daughter to bring such a shameful display within this house."

"Father I'm sure Gloria provoked Eliza to raise her hand."

"Drake I did not!" Gloria cried, "I swear to you I didn't. She is the one that has stolen from Ms. Elizabeth's jewelry box and when I attempted to get it back she went mad."

"Stolen?" Aunt Bessie was completely stunned by the accusation.

"Yes Aunt Bessie. Eliza stole a locket from Ms. Elizabeth. She is wearing it as we speak."

"Disgraceful...from a daughter of such a fine woman as Ms. Edith..."

The four of them were either looking at her with contempt or disbelief.

"Eliza is this true?"

"Mr. Brodie, Gloria is not telling you the truth."

A horrific thought of a severe beating or definitely a harsh prison sentence flashed through Eliza's mind if Mr. Brodie believed Gloria's allegation.

"Father it is an unwarranted charge!"

"Drake this is not your affair and I suggest you remain quiet," James said angrily. "Now Eliza, speak to me truthfully. Have you stolen a piece of jewelry from my wife's collection?!"

"Anything involving Eliza is my affair! I was the one that gifted the locket to her because I'm in love with her!"

Eliza's hopes of Drake returning and whisking her away were completely dashed.

"Drake...no...," Eliza cautioned.

He turned to her and said, "I'm not fearful of speaking my heart to everyone especially the way I feel about you."

"She is the reason that I've come back to the Bay. I've come to take her away with me because I love her. Do you hear me father? I love Eliza!"

If his heart could have stopped beating at that moment then it would have but James' thoughts reflected back on a letter that he had received from Aunt Diana expressing her disappointment in his son breaking his engagement to Emilie. Aunt Bessie, Ms. Olivia and Gloria were equally shocked into silence while Eliza bravely stood by Drake's side. Matilda looked on pensively.

"Drake...son... you don't mean what you have just said. Wasn't it just a short time ago that you were engaged to Emilie and before her you had such a great love for Helen? Maybe I should call a doctor."

"I am not ill of mind or heart. Clearly you don't want to see my love for Eliza because of her color and station in life. I chose to end my engagement with Emilie because I cannot live my life without Eliza."

"I forbid you to take her anywhere! She is bound to this household!"

"Eliza is not a slave! She was born a free woman. Free to come and go wherever and with whomever she pleases," he blurted.

A heavy tension hung in the air as James glared at his son. Finally he could see why he broke off the engagement and why he didn't want to take over the company that was his birthright. So this was why he had returned. Deep down he thought that Drake had changed his mind about managing the company but he had come back for Eliza. After everything that he had bestowed upon his son... this was the gratefulness that he was being shown. Drake should have slapped him - the pain would have been easier to bear.

Aunt Bessie eventually said, "Everyone let's go and leave these two alone to talk to one another."

"I want to remain with Drake," Eliza responded with a hint of defiance.

"No Eliza, go along with your Aunt...I'll listen to what he has to say but he can never change my plans for our future together," he said and then kissed her gently. James smirked and turned his head away.

Matilda turned off the stove and followed Aunt Bessie and Eliza as they went up to their room. Ms. Olivia took a sobbing Gloria to get change and nursemaid. It seemed that Eliza's punishment was of least importance.

 

The room was eerily quiet but they could hear movement outside. Probably the men wanting their supper but seeing Mr. Brodie and Drake they soon left.

"My only son held the world in the palm of his hands and yet he is choosing to throw it all away over this ill-advised love affair."

"You seem to forget that you were once in love."

"I believe that you were once in love as well or so you claimed. I understand its meaning better than you ever have."

"We don't need to talk anymore father. Eliza and I are..."

"You are not going anywhere until we've settled this situation!"

 

Upstairs...

"Eliza, how could you keep this hidden from me?" Aunt Bessie asked with a distressed look on her face.

"If I told you about this you would have probably had me sent away. Drake loves me Auntie and I love him. He loves me," she reiterated.

"Or so he claims. Where is he taking you?"

"I don't know but it is a place where we can be together."

"So you don't know. I'm tired of listening to this nonsense. Child he's probably taking you back to England to be his maid."

"Mr. James said that Drake is not engaged anymore," Matilda offered.

"Hush Matilda. Even if it is true how could you leave your only family behind? Do we mean nothing to you?" she asked hurt.

"My family means everything to me but so does Drake. You want me to throw away a chance at love and happiness when it is right here in front of me."

"What about Will?"

"What about him. I've tried to picture him being a part of my life only because of Uncle Moses wanting to marry me off. I never had any real feelings towards him."

"There are going to be many people who look down on this relationship and will try to hurt you just because of your skin color. I can't lose my sister's only child over this."

"Aunt Bessie I love you very much but if I stay here I will be very miserable. Is that what you want? Drake and I realize that we can't live as a couple here and that's why we have decided to leave."

"I can't allow you to go," she said tearfully.

"If I was being allowed to have a man and get married then why can't I be with the person I love most?  I'm grown enough to make my own choices and I choose Drake."

"I promised Edith that I would look after you."

"So far you have done a great job but now it is my turn to look after my own well being."

 

Downstairs...

Drake stood by as his father seated himself at the table thinking about his next approach.

"You leave my company. You leave a fine young lady like Emilie for this type of relationship. You are throwing away your future."

"My future? Or is it your future? My time in England has created a different man. This settlement is too small for my future goals and of course I want Eliza to be a part of whatever future I choose to conceive."

"This settlement is a part of England. Do you for one moment believe that you can create a better future for yourself with Eliza being a part of it?"

"There are places in England where we will be accepted."

They heard footsteps walking towards the kitchen.

 

"Am I so unworthy of your son's love because of my race?"

"Eliza you are unable to understand my reasoning. It is the times in which we live. This forbidden union will only bring about heartache. Would you runoff and leave your Aunt grief-stricken. Your parents are buried here and what about your friends."

"I have thoroughly understood what I must leave behind and I still want to be with your son and share a life together with him."

"My love I want to share my life with you so much."

"Drake if you go I will be forced to forbid the both of you from reentering this property. You are no longer my son!" James yelled as he rose and banged hard on the table.

"He will always be our son!"

"Mom?" Drake couldn't remember the last time he gazed upon his mother. Her body looked frail and very wan but you could still see her beauty.

"Ms. Elizabeth, what are you doing out of bed?" Aunt Bessie asked frighteningly.

"Why shouldn't I be out of bed? I can still walk these halls Aunt Bessie."

"It looks like my husband and son are caught up in a disputable matter."

"I'm in control of this situation so you can go back to bed."

"You are not in control of anything and I'm not going back to bed until I've had my say. Drake has his own life to lead even if it may not be as we planned. James we were young once. Remember how you defied your father's command not to marry me because of my family's lower station. Luckily for us your father died suddenly from a heart ailment."

"This is different," James retorted.

"Because of her race? She is still a child of God. Our moral fortitude is greater than those narrow-minded souls out there."

"What about my company and my seat in the Parliament? His union with Eliza will bring disgrace upon my house!"

"I'm sure Drake and Eliza will be leaving the Bay. There will be no rest for them here. You can easily claim that he is a rebellious son that brought you to tears over this matter. The residents will certainly offer you their sympathies but behind these walls you are going to love our son. He was born out of our love."

James sighed heavily as if he had lost a great battle...beaten down by his son and a sickly wife who presented a good argument.

"Mother I'm sorry that I have been a neglectful son," he lamented going over to his mother and hugging her warmly. "Even if father doesn't listen to whatever we have to say, Eliza and I would like to thank you for taking our side."

"It's not about taking sides Drake. It is about accepting those we love and allowing them to live their lives. I will always love you Drake but it is so sad that I will be losing you again."

"Hopefully we will see you again mother." They both knew it probably wouldn't happen.

He needed to make a request of his father. "Father our ship will be leaving tomorrow would it be possible for us to spend the night here?"

"Do whatever you wish," James responded, "My opinion doesn't count for much anymore," he replied as he walked away.

"Ms. Elizabeth I will take you back to your room," Aunt Bessie commented. Elizabeth looked tired again. It seemed that she had used up all her strength to make the plea for her son and Eliza.

"Eliza I'll be back shortly." He went over and assisted Aunt Bessie with his mother.

 

"This is just part of the battle," Matilda reminded her.

"I'm not shaken."

"It going to be hard not to have you round. Going to miss you for real this time."

"I'm going to miss you too Matilda."

 

Ms. Elizabeth's room...

After placing his mother in bed she soon fell asleep. Drake kissed lightly her forehead.

"She will never be well again. It's amazing that she was able to come down the stairs and stand up to father."

"A mother will always find strength to defend her child."

"You are very angry with me Aunt Bessie."

"In some ways I am Drake. You are going to take my Eliza away from me."

"I really didn't mean for it to happen but I couldn't deny these deep feelings that I have for her."

"I'll ask one thing of you. Take very good care of her. After everything that she has been through in her life she deserves all the happiness in the world."

"To my last breath I will give her the happiness she needs."

 

Front Porch...

Eliza and Drake stood on the verandah gazing at the horizon.

"Our last sunset..."

"It shouldn't have to be."

"Eliza..." She moved to the other corner.

"I'm mentally tired. How long will it take for us to reach England?"

"The voyage will take ten to twelve days and then we must travel another two days by carriage to Tyneside, England." She accepted his response.

"Perhaps I should be glad that two good things came out of this experience."

"I know what they are," he said rejoining her. "My rediscovering a connection with my mother and us being together... Am I correct?"

"Yes my love," she said. "For now just hold me. I need to feel the security of your arms wrapped around me."

Their brief interlude was interrupted by Mr. George sudden appearance.

"Mr. George," she said nervously, "I guess you have come to give me a tongue lashing regarding Gloria." Drake remained quiet ready to defend her if the need arose.

"While Gloria is my daughter she brought this upon herself. I believe that she will conduct herself better from now on. I only came to wish the both of you the best."

"Thank you Mr. George," they both replied. He tipped his head and went back inside.

"I know something we can do. We did it often as children."

"Drake it is much too late."

"Come on Eliza...one last swim in the river. I'll race you the pier. Shoes off..."

"Shoes off...," she repeated laughing as she kept an eye on him.

"Let's go!"

 

The next morning there were tearful goodbyes except from Mr. Brodie who remained in his study who still felt that his son was going off to ruin.

"Matilda please take this," Eliza said removing the locket from around her neck.

"Eliza I can't. It something that Drake gave to you."

"He says it's alright and I want you to keep it for me. You have always been like a sister to me and...I just want you to have it," she responding trying to hold back the tears.

"I promise to take good care of it...until you come back..." It was a hug filled with a lot of sorrows. "It best you be going now." 

 It was never going to be easy to walk away and they held each other close. 

Mr. George took them by carriage to the docks where they boarded the "Great Britain" for the journey to a new life.

 

EPILOGUE

Drake paid the Captain enough cash not to cause any disturbance or ask any questions about him and his female companion. They spent most of their time hold up in their cabin and would sometimes sneak out to gaze at the sea or bask in the moonlight.

The voyage to England took the required ten days and on a layover in Sussex Eliza had an eye-opening experience. Drake wanted to purchase some dresses and bonnets for her but in order not to cast suspicion their way he informed the clerk that Eliza was his maid and she had the same build of his new bride who was at home sick in bed. Eliza felt disconcerted by the whole scene and didn't speak much for the rest of the journey.

 

Tyneside, England...

The trunks were being taken down from the carriage and Drake couldn't tell if she was pleased with their new four bedrooms home. She entered the front doors, asked him where their bedroom was located, took her personal bag and left. Soon he and the rest of the luggage followed her to the room where he found that she had already disappeared into the bathroom. He waited until she was finished before he went in to refresh himself as well.

Eliza quickly learned that unlike the Bay English weather called for a lot of layering. She was in the process of putting on her corset when Drake exited the bathroom.

"Would you please assist me?"

"Sure..." He drew the back lacing. "Is it tight enough?"

"I can still breathe."

He leaned against her sliding his hands up from her hips to her breasts. She moaned feeling his growing arousal.

"I know you are upset about the incident at the dress shop," he whispered playing with her peaks.

"It's...it's not your fault. We will have to...have to endure...these things from time to time."

"But still I need to be sensitive to my wife's feelings."

Instantly Eliza moved away and said, "Drake I'm not your wife. We have moved to England where it is illegal for us to get married."

"Ah...but there is a country where we can be married... Within a week we will sail for France." *kiss* "Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Eliza didn't respond immediately but instead took a moment to ponder. Those blue eyes stared at her...waiting...it felt like she was taking forever to make a response.

"Yes my love...Yes!" She leaped into his arms and he twirled her around.

"Oh Eliza! You've made all my dreams come true! I love you!"

 

They were married at 12 noon in Belleville, France where they also honeymooned.

Stomachs having been satisfied with Coq Au Vin and white wine they moved on to more pleasurable enjoyments that left Mrs. Brodie pleasantly surprised.

"Hmmm...Mr. Brodie you were holding back much of yourself during our short stints of lovemaking." Her body was still quivering from multiple orgasms.

"I decided to save the best part of myself for this special time with you, Mrs. Brodie."

"It makes me love and need you even more."

"As much as I need you..."

What an evening to remember and the subsequent days that followed were also treasured - walking along the cobblestone streets arm in arm, conversing, kissing as a newly married couple should without any fear was the highlight of their stay.

"My love was it all that you expected?"

"It was much...much more than I ever expected. I'm so delighted that we were able to share all these new experiences together. "

 

Subsequently in February 1861 their first son Denison was born.

"Come look at your son."

"Our son," he corrected as he kissed her and gazed at his handsome little boy taking him into his arms. "I will make sure that you and your mother are recognized as being Brodies."

"My love it does not matter. We are very contented."

"You are not my concubine and our son is not a bastard child. You are my wife and he is our son."

During the succeeding years Drake was able to accomplish this goal. He started a trade business within the small community and his reputation as a formidable businessman grew beyond expectation. He and Eliza gained a high degree of respectability throughout England so much so that their family was recognized and welcomed into many social circles without fear of reprisals. They moved from their modest home into a ten bedroom English Country House just outside of Tyneside. Eliza bore him five more children Benjamin, Edith, Edward, Elizabeth and their last being Kingsley whom was his father's favorite. It wasn't that Drake loved his other children any less but Kingsley's birth came after a very stressful time in their marriage.

In 1886, Eliza almost separated from Drake due to his long hours and extensive traveling that kept him away from home. She never feared infidelity because the success of "Brodie & Sons" became his only mission in life...it wasn't seeing to the happiness of his wife and children. Complain she did but he never paid any attention until one day she threatened to leave if he didn't. Alarmed by her warning he quickly changed his approach and delegating many of his responsibilities - a year and a half later Kingsley was birth to them.

 

1894...

Drake had just arrived home from a business trip to Leicester. After greeting the family and spending some time with them he soon retreated to the quiet of his study hoping that Eliza would soon join him. On his desk he caught sight of a letter from his good friend Ben. It read:

Dear Drake,

How is your family? I hope they are keeping well.

About a month ago an ill wind blew over the Bay's settlement. The currency had devalued and the workers were rioting because the merchant class refused to increase their wages. Troops from a British Warship harbored in the port had to come to quiet the storm. Thankfully the merchants relented because of all the destruction that was caused.

On a brighter note word of your business success has spread far and wide and I firmly believe that your family could accompany you if you choose to plan your next visit here. Awaiting a favorable response...

Your friend,

Ben

 

"Only now they are willing to welcome us back," he muttered.

There was a knock on the door. It was Eliza bringing him a welcomed cup of tea. He requested that she lock the door behind her.

"Thank you so much my dear," he said taking a sip. "I've just read Ben's letter. You can read it if you like."

Eliza perused its contents and Drake saw that there was hope in her eyes. "Do you want to return?"

"It has been so many years. I long to see the family that remains and have our children get to know them."

"Then we'll visit on our next holiday."

"Come and sit by my side. I need you." Eliza smiled and went over to his side and they kissed.

"Ooohh...," she said as he pulled her into his lap.

"What would the children think if they saw us this way?" she whispered.

"They would be happy to see that their parents are still very much in love."

"The older you get the more handsome you have become."

"Are you enticing your husband to do other things?"

"Perhaps...if we have the time," she winked and found his lips again.

"We've journeyed so far and we've had our share of ups and downs but still my love for you has never wavered."

"Growing up I never imagined living this life. Six beautiful children and you the man I love was able to give me a life that I believed were only in dreams."

"Attainable dreams."

It was easier to laugh about that intense moment that was shared so long ago.

 

"Mother Kingsley is misbehaving!"

Eliza attempted to leave but Drake held her arm saying, "The children can wait. Your husband needs attention much more." Smiling seductively with each other they embraced and started kissing passionately.

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=265