CELIA by chocolate470
Summary:

user posted image

Their love affair was never destined to go on for a lifetime - his father made sure of that outcome. Pregnant and alone Celia found comfort in the arms of Joseph who became a husband to her and a father to Joshua...the only man she could place her faith and trust.

Circumstances change and she had to seek out the one man that still had a part of her soul. How would things play out and how would it affect those around them?

Dedicated to: Megumi, Brown_Mocha, Sweet Pea and Robin


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: Original Character(s)
Classification: General
Genre: Family, Friendship, Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Original Characters, Racism, Sexual Content , Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 59634 Read: 76724 Published: 09/02/09 Updated: 04/06/09

1. The Cast by chocolate470

2. Chapter 1 by chocolate470

3. Chapter 2 by chocolate470

4. Chapter 3: Reflections by chocolate470

5. Chapter 4 by chocolate470

6. Chapter 5 by chocolate470

7. Chapter 6 by chocolate470

8. Chapter 7 by chocolate470

9. Chapter 8 by chocolate470

10. Chapter 9 by chocolate470

11. Chapter 10 by chocolate470

12. Chapter 11 by chocolate470

13. Chapter 12 by chocolate470

14. Chapter 13 by chocolate470

15. Chapter 14 by chocolate470

16. Chapter 15 by chocolate470

17. Chapter 16 by chocolate470

The Cast by chocolate470
Author's Notes:

 

 

 

user posted image 

user posted image

user posted image

 user posted image

 

 user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

 

user posted image

 

Chapter 1 by chocolate470

It was a dreary Monday morning and the first rays of sunlight started to peak over the distant horizon. The dissipating fog lingered alongside the water’s edge blurring the visibility of the lighters and skiffs that awaited both human and cargo to be ferried off to the ships that lay beyond the harbor.

 

Celia walked slowly behind her husband carrying their precious bundle snuggled in his small blanket. Joseph, desiring to improve their situation had found employment as a fireman onboard a ship called ‘The Atlantic’. He would be away for the next three weeks and Celia would be collecting half his remuneration at the registry office during that time.

 

They reached the Bay’s harbor strategically located by the Courthouse Wharf. The docks were abuzz with activity; vessels being loaded, crewmen shouting across to one another and other couples saying their goodbyes.

 

“You shouldn’t have brought him down here. He still the sleep,” Joseph said gliding his hand across the blanket.

 

“Whether asleep or wake he need to see his father off.”

 

The anguish in her eyes made him want to stay but he knew he couldn’t stay behind. Working in the mahogany camps wasn’t very appealing and he was grateful when this opportunity came along. “Celia I have to go. It the only way I can make better for all the family. I soon come back.”

 

“And then you go again,” she added.

 

He gazed closely at his young family once more and observed Joshua’s head shifting from side to side before finding a suitable resting spot on his mother’s shoulder. Even though he wasn’t Joshua’s natural father he had watched him grow inside of Celia and was present on the day of his birth. He was the only father that little boy ever knew. And Celia… she was the love of his life even if her love for him wasn’t the same as his was for her.

 

“We have to work to survive this life and keep everything together. Before you know it I’ll be back home.”

 

“We’ll be counting the days then.”

 

“Take care of home and our son,” he managed a small smile and caressed her cheek.

 

“I’ll do the best I can and you take care of yourself.” She gave him a hug and kissed him.

All Abroad!  

After adjusting his collar and smoothing out his coat’s lapels she looked into his eyes and said, “Goodbye Joseph.”

 

“Goodbye Celia…Joshua…”

 

She clutched her shawl and held Joshua tightly as she watched Joseph boarding the skiff. He turned around briefly and waved at her; she waved back. The man who had come to her rescue so long ago was leaving her side once again and it was a feeling she could never fully accept.

 

Celia could not easily forget that faithful evening when Jonathan’s tyrannical father had forced her from the Campbell estate. He vowed to give her name a black mark amongst potential employers because of the shame she had brought upon his household. Having lost the man she loved, pregnant, alone there was no light in her future until Joseph.

 

He came to symbolize stability and hope and without him she felt unsure about life. She feared for their family and she feared for him. He was still a black man living in a white world. What perils might befall him while he was away at sea she could only guess. All she could do now was pray for his safe return.

 

“Your father gone now it time for us to go home. I need to get ready for work.”

 

And where was home? On the south side of the Bay where most blacks who didn’t dwell with their employers lived in two bedroom shacks in a place called ‘Eboe Town’. The community was sizable but it was mostly populated by old men, women and children when the men were away at camp. Celia and her family lived with her mother Ms. Abigail, two sisters Hortense and Lydia and Lydia’s two children. Three older brothers had left the settlement many years ago and had never returned.

 

Campbell’s Residence…  

“Good morning husband.”

 

“I wish I were having a good morning as you are my dear wife,” he replied slightly annoyed.

 

Amy responded with a wry smile. Last evening she had stayed out beyond respectable hours and never offered her husband an explanation as to why. Jonathan hardly pressed the issue in great length. This hadn’t been the first occurrence and from time to time he would give out subtle reminders of her wifely responsibilities which naturally she ignored.

 

Indubitably married life was starting to become quite a burden for Mrs. Campbell. Unlike herself Jonathan preferred to remain at home, read his medical texts or sit in the quiet comfort of his study drinking pale ale or brandy. The periods he did venture out was spent in the company of his male compatriots at the ‘Baymen Gentlemen’s Club’.

 

Amy was still young, attractive and received many invitations to the Bay’s countless afternoon tea and dinner parties and she often attended those without her husband accompaniment. A behavior certainly frowned upon by Victorian society. Blacks would immediately say that he was bewitched while others would say that he didn’t know how to keep his household in line. Jonathan felt that he was performing some sort of penance for his past misjudgments.

 

Adorned in her light blue day dress and wearing a lacy linen cap Amy seated herself at the breakfast table. A cup of tea and a bowl of fresh fruits awaited her – madam was watching her figure.

 

“The Edwards are having a dinner party Wednesday evening and they have sent us an invitation,” she said as she unfolded her napkin.

 

“Another invitation,” he pondered, “you do realize that on Wednesdays I volunteer at the Bay’s infirmary and will be very tired when I return home.”

 

“I understand completely but you most also be fully aware that one does not turn down an invitation from the Edwards, a most influential family in the Bay.”

 

“Influential they may be but not my sort of dinner companions. I do not seek a seat on the Legislator. I only seek to provide the best care for my patients.”

 

“Did I ever say that your work wasn’t admirable? My objections lies in the fact that you have decided to stay at home rather frequently. You are a great storyteller and yet you diminish your talent,” she said stirring her cup.

 

“The dinner parties have become very tiresome. We should be concentrating on settling down and starting our own family.”

 

“How many times most I tell you that I’m not ready to have a baby in this forsaken colony.”

 

Every time she uttered those words he felt a pain in his heart. “Tell me Amy…Am I the cause of your unhappiness?” he asked serious.

 

“Jonathan, don’t be silly,” she responded changing her mannerisms, “I love you. We are just at different stages in our lives. I’m still young as are you but I believe that we should live our lives to the fullest. A child would certainly be an impediment.”

 

Condoms were always on hand during their intimate moments and so far it had been very effective. Just in case Amy had her Plan B – there were always ways of getting rid of unwanted things.

 

“You chose to marry me and dwell in the Bay and yet you are choosing not to have my child. I’m unable to understand your conclusion.”

 

“There are many risks involved but this type of conversation isn’t for the breakfast table… my dear. Maybe we can speak about it later.” Jonathan sighed the way he always did when Amy ended their serious discussions matter-of-factly.

“By the way I need a new evening dress for the dinner party and also a new pair of shoes, a pair of gloves and handbag to match.”

 

Jonathan searched his breast pocket for the correct denominations to give to her. Being satisfied she kissed him on the cheek and excused herself. Amy would be gone for the rest of the day and that was alright because she hardly participated in the day to day affairs of his household. To his dismay he shouldered that burden as well.

 

He was left alone in his thoughts and now that Celia would be working for him his mind drifted back on fond memories – her laughter, those passion-filled, dark brown irises playing upon his heart. Their emotional bond that he felt could never be broken…but it was.

You were such a fool!  

“I was a coward.”

 

Drake was certainly able to show more courage than he ever could. Every time Drake wrote him he felt a tinge of envy – his successful business and home life and here he was…completely miserable. Since his departure everything had changed for him. His sweet Amy had become dismissive of his needs and now Celia was returning.

 

Celia…I say your name and...”

 

He heard footsteps coming towards him. It was his cook coming to clear away the table. Ms. Annabelle was a buxom woman of 50 with a pleasant smile. She had worked at the Campbell’s estate for many years as the head cook but had wanted a change. Jonathan offered her the job which she accepted much to his father’s consternation.

 

“Are you quite finished sir?”

 

“Yes Mrs. Annabelle,” he replied somberly. Annabelle wasn’t married but the title Mrs. acknowledged her high position within the household.

 

“What would you prefer for lunch today?”

 

“A bowl of soup with some bread or maybe I’ll have lunch at the club.”

 

During his free time he usually went to the ‘club’ to take his mind off his marital woes. Ms. Annabelle would prepare the soup regardless. She couldn’t wait for Sonia to arrive so that they could go off to the market.

 

“What your father did to Celia was very cruel and I’m so glad that you gave the vacant positions to her and Sonia. I only ask that you do me one favor.”

 

“Which is?”

 

“We both know what has passed between you and Ms. Celia. She is a married woman and I want you to offer her that respect.”

 

Jonathan felt caught off guard by the comment. He rose from the table and proceeded to walk away.

 

“Is that such a harsh request Jonathan?”

 

“I’ve given her the employment that you suggested and of course I’ll respect her marriage.”

 

“And what about her…”

 

“I’ve had enough of this conversation!” he cut her off and then calmed himself. “Please inform Henderson that I’ll be in my study.”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

A couple of days ago Celia and her good friend Sonia had interviewed for domestic positions at Jonathan’s residence. The encounter was brief mainly because her appearance confused him a great deal and he was unable to speak at length. She too felt strange being around him. He had certainly changed from last she remembered. Gone were his long, dark locks and although it was still handsome his face seemed preoccupied with many burdens. She wondered if she had made a wise decision but pride and that emotional stirring that she felt had to be set aside for the sake of living.

 

Immediately they were hired – Celia to be a housemaid and Sonia to be a kitchen assistant. He requested that they return promptly at 7:30 a.m. Monday morning to begin their duties thereafter they were expected to report to work at 6:00 a.m. Working hours would be 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Mondays to Saturdays with Sunday being their day off.

  

Now that the day had actually arrived the decision weighed heavily on her mind and she sat thoughtfully eating away at her bowl of cold corn porridge. Joshua lied sleeping in the adjacent room while Lydia’s children played a game of tag in the backyard.

 

 “You serious bout going to work for Dr. Campbell?” Lydia enquired.

 

Celia paused staring at both her mother and sister standing before her like moral authorities.

.

“She serious cause she dressed to go,” her mother replied.

 

“We need the money. You pregnant had to stop work. Mama can’t work long hours. While Joseph away I will only receive half his pay and then add in Hortense money and maybe we can make it with all these kids.”

 

“I know she the blame me mama for getting pregnant again but I never know it would make me feel so bad.”

 

“I no blame nobody. I have to do what I have to do. Mr. Campbell made sure that I couldn’t find work anywhere.”

 

“Even after all these years?” Lydia looked at her suspiciously.

 

“Word get round and people believe something that isn’t true.”

 

“It still no right since you doing it behind Joseph back,” Ms. Abigail admonished.

 

“Mama Joseph know I going to work.”

 

“He don’t know that it is with Dr. Campbell.”

 

“I tell him when he gets back.”

 

“If you don’t tell him he’ll find out anyway,” Lydia said.

 

“I still no understand how it easier to find work at his house.”

 

“Because Jonathan is nothing like his father,” she insisted.

 

“That man turn his back on you and Joshua. I wouldn’t even want to see a man like that again for the rest of me life.”

 

 “At the time Jonathan couldn’t help me but now he can. Besides it all in the past and Joshua and I still alive.”

 

“Thanks to your husband Joseph. I think Jonathan will ask bout Joshua,” Ms. Abigail said.

 

“He can’t ask bout something he really know nothing bout!”

  

Celia! Celia!  Sonia yelled outside.

  

“Old fire stick easy to catch. Mind Celia,” Lydia said half-jokingly.

 

Celia ignored her comment and quickly went to her room to retrieve her bonnet and kiss Joshua goodbye.

 

“I think she still have feeling for that man.”

 

“I think so too but I hope people no get hurt in the end.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

“My precious little boy…every time I look at you I see your father. Yet I don’t want to betray the man that has always been a father to you. What to do?”

 

“Celia!”

 

A final kiss on his forehead then she departed.

  

Celia and Sonia walked briskly past row after row of similar wooden houses, unto another dirt road and then another. They barely spoke with each other mainly due to Celia’s sudden quiet disposition. Finally they reached the wooden bridge that connected the south side to the north side of the colony. Across the bridge the landscape changed dramatically – beautiful colonial residences surrounded by well-kept gardens and a peaceful ambience with birds chirping in the trees.  

 

“Maybe this no a good idea,” Celia wavered as they walked along.       

 

“Why because Dr. Campbell know you.”

 

“No…,” she corrected.

 

“Celia you can’t stay home forever. We both need to work and take care of our family.”

 

“Well here we are.” Celia hesitated and stopped by the gate.

 

“I’ll go knock on the door. You can come behind…if you want,” said Sonia unhappily.

 

Celia couldn’t understand her fear about seeing Jonathan. Hadn’t she seen him just a couple of days ago. Maybe the reality of being this close to him everyday was affecting her resolve. It also brought to bear that there were still some underlying hurts that had never really healed. In the meantime she stood by as Sonia knocked at the door and spoke to the butler – a tall imposing figure probably in his mid to late 40s with a countenance that commanded respect.

 

Sonia motioned for her to come along which she did reluctantly.

 

They walked along the foyer past the stairs until they came to a rear door. After the butler knocked and announced their arrival they heard a voice from the other side granting them entrance. Mr. Henderson allowed them to enter before taking his leave.

 

Celia’s eyes circulated the medium space. She understood it to be Jonathan’s study from the number of books and periodicals that encompassed the room.

 

“Good Morning Dr. Campbell,” they both greeted.

 

“Good Morning Ms. Sonia…Ms. Celia…”

 

Jonathan sat behind a huge mahogany desk and stared at her briefly before turning his gaze to an eager Sonia.

 

Celia felt she could hardly breathe. She saw his lips moving but didn’t hear or understand the words being spoken. It continued like this for the next five minutes until she heard.

 

“You may proceed to your respective duties,” he ended.

 

“Celia…Celia…come…”

 

He let out a huge breath as she exited and muttered, “This isn’t going to work out.”

 

On the other side Celia thought that she couldn’t go through with it either.

 

“Celia you look like you see a ghost. You alright?”

 

“I alright…no worry.”

 

“I feel so happy that you and me working here.”

 

Sonia was going on and on and even mentioned that it was strange that they hadn’t seen Dr. Campbell’s wife. Celia thought it was strange as well and wondered why she hadn’t thought about it. They continued to walk until they arrived at the kitchen.

   

“Good Morning Ms. Annabelle,” they said.

 

“Good morning. Celia you don’t look so good child. Sit down. I’ll get you a glass of water.”

 

“I think she sad cause her husband left today.”

 

Celia took a seat by the table. “Thanks,” she said after she drank about half the glass.

 

“You feel any better?” Celia nodded her head yes. “Sonia take this basket and go wait for me outside. We are going to market.” Sonia really didn’t want to leave Celia. “Hurry up child.”

<<<<<<<<<  

“I thought I could handle being round him most of the time but now…”

 

“So your husband gone away on a big ship. How long he be gone for?”

 

“Three weeks. I should be happy. It better than ten months.”

 

“Celia you a strong woman. Have some faith…,” Annabelle said as she patted her shoulders before she turned and walked away.

 

It was time to lift herself out of this momentary depression. She found the broom closet and gathered her cleaning equipment – buckets, broom, mop, rags. It was going to be a long day but as long as her efforts were rewarded she would be satisfied; besides hard work usually deflected the mind.

 >>>>>>>>>>  

He was determined to find her and tell her that it was going to be an impossible situation but when he saw her sweeping the hallway he changed his mind. It wasn’t her fault that he couldn’t keep his emotions at bay.

 

“Have a good day Ms. Celia.”

 

“I wish a good day to you as well Dr. Campbell,” she responded softly.

 

He looked on as she returned to her work and knew that the love he had buried was about to rise to the surface.

 

 

My heart wants you still…
Chapter 2 by chocolate470

The morning was progressing along fairly well. Amy and her two personal servants had left the residence while Jonathan was attending to patients in his surgery located next to the study. Annabelle and Sonia were working hard in the kitchen. Celia was busily cleaning Jonathan’s bedroom although access to Amy’s bedroom was strictly prohibited which was fine. It was a better thing not to be accused by Mrs. Campbell of trying on her dresses or pilfering her beauty accessories.

<<<<<<<<<  

At first she viewed his bedroom as ordinary…a place where her employer spent his sleeping hours…truly nothing of any consequence. She ran her hands along the bed’s length carefully affixing the sheets, fluffing the pillows but then her mind strayed. This is the spot where he lays his head and dreams. Did he ever dream about her and their precious time spent together so long ago?

 

“Stop it Celia. You’re a married woman,” she berated herself.

  

“I’m sorry I didn’t expect you to be working in here already. I…I…forgot my bag,” he said a bit nervous walking past her.

 

Celia was startled by his appearance and stood up unmoving as if she had been caught committing a wrongful act.

 

“Is the work proceeding well? It’s not too much I hope. I usually keep a proper room.” His back was turned as he spoke searching his closet for the misplaced bag. “Here it is. Celia?”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell.”

 

“You haven’t responded to my statement.”

 

Indeed… she felt a heat flush her cheeks – she hadn’t heard the question. “I’m sorry sir.”

 

Seeing her embarrass demeanor he said, “It’s not that important. So far the room looks fine. I’ll take my leave.”

 

She noticed something odd on his person – his cravat tie was becoming undone but servants were taught to never offer an opinion to an employer. She resolved that it wasn’t an opinion but an observation.

 

“Dr. Campbell your cravat needs to be retied.”

 

“Oh…” He tried his best but he was having trouble doing so. Either his palms were moist or he was nervous being around her. “It’s hopeless. Celia, could you please offer some assistance.”

 

“Yes sir.” She easily performed the task and became comfortable standing in front of him. “There…it looks much better.”

 

“I usually have Mr. Henderson take care of me personally,” he smiled.

 

“Well Mr. Henderson isn’t here at the moment…I am…”

 

The words came out of her mouth too casual and the room once more became quiet. Their dark brown eyes locked into a deep stare for what seemed like a lifetime. All that had passed between them almost culminating into…no it wasn’t real Celia moved away.

 

“I…I have a patient…waiting. Celia, have a good day.” He remembered he had said some of those same words earlier.

 

“Have a good day too… sir,” she bowed.

 

He left hastily and she stood still feeling very fragile. A moment spent with him brought too many emotions to the surface. So far she had been able to keep them restrained but they would speak again.

Remember that you have a man that loves you and is out at sea trying to make a life for his family.    

The Jonathan she had known was a ghost that dwelled within her subconscious. It was better to detach herself from such reminiscences. It ultimately served no purpose.

 

For a moment he was unable to continue his walk down the stairs.

 

“How could she not know?”

Because she can’t know…life has changed in so many ways… 

<<<<<<<<< 

Noon…

  

Amy came tramping through the hallway with her personal maid, Ms. Beatrice, a transplant from her native England. Her arms filled with boxes from Amy’s earlier purchases.

 

“Beatrice, take those upstairs,” she said removing her gloves and bonnet, “when James returns with my water go ahead and prepare my bath.”  James’ actual name was Amos. He was the Campbells’ footman.

 

“Yes ma’am.”

 

She made her long stroll to the kitchen whereupon her arrival she offered no greeting. Celia and Sonia turned to face the wall while Annabelle stood by her station.

 

“Annabelle, what are we having for lunch today?”

 

“Dr. Campbell requested homemade soup and fresh bread.”

 

“It doesn’t sound very appealing. Jonathan must realize that soup is not eaten the same day that it is made,” she said annoyed, “Prepare me a sandwich and salad.”

 

“As you wish Mrs. Campbell...,” Annabelle said with a firm nod of her head. She would also have to fetch a bottle of champagne from Jonathan’s private stock. Amos would return for her tray.    

 

“You can turn around now,” Amy said to Celia and Sonia. “The two new servants that my husband has hired...”

 

“Yes ma’am,” they both responded.

 

“He did inform me that he was taking on two additional servants. I really am unable to understand why. Come forward and let me take a look at you.”

“What are your names?”

 

“Celia…” “Sonia…” Last names were of little importance.

 

She examined them carefully making sure that they were properly attired, hair securely tucked away under their scarves – not wanting to see a stray wavy strand appearing in her food. Special attention was paid to Celia who seemed young, plain and yet there was something about her.

 

“Are you married? Have a family?”  

 

“Yes ma’am…I have a husband and a son.” 

 

“Good enough…” Amy walked out without saying or asking anything else.

  

“Mrs. Campbell is something,” Sonia whispered to Celia.

 

Annabelle looked at Celia who stared back at her.

>>>>>>>>>  

“It’s a deep cut and it needs to be cleaned, disinfected and then bandaged.”

 

Mrs. Patrice Leary had come into his office very disconcerted about the cut on her arm. She was also guarded about the manner in which she had received the wound.

 

“The treatment sounds painful Dr. Campbell.” Her hazel eyes flickered with concern.

 

“I promise that you will feel a slight pain for only a moment.”

 

“Would you hold my hand?”

 

“Mrs. Leary I need both my hands. Don’t you trust me?” She loved when he used that low tone and stared at her with those eyes.

 

“I trust you…very much,” she whispered.

 

She watched as he worked and every now and then he would look up and give her a comforting smile.

 

“It is completed.”

 

“You’ve finished already.” She seemed surprised.

 

“I told you to trust me and you did.”

 

“You are such an amazing doctor.”

 

“Thank you very much Mrs. Leary.” He gave her a small bottle of laudanum for the pain and to help her sleep. “Follow my instructions carefully when taking this medicine.”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell. When shall I come again? To let you remove the bandage of course.”

 

“You may come next week Monday and I’ll see if your wound has healed. During this time I expect you to be on your guard and watch your steps.”

 

“I will Dr. Campbell. Thank you.”

 

She left leaving his payment concealed within a white envelope on the side of his desk. Upon opening the envelope he found that he was overpaid his services.

 

Many of his patients were female who paid him very handsomely and invited him to family dinners which he discreetly declined. Understanding his patients and having an innate charm kept his household functional especially his wife clothed in the latest fashions of the period. The occupation however became unfulfilling. He could say that his happiest moments as a doctor were spent volunteering at the infirmary. There he felt like he was actually helping others who wouldn’t normally be able to afford his care.

 

He heard a knock at the door where his servants were allowed to access.

 

“Come in.” It was Celia and she was the most glorious woman his eyes had seen for the day.

 

“Ms. Annabelle said to inform you that lunch is ready and if you would please come before the soup gets cold,” she said with eyes looking straight but not really at him.

 

“Yes…lunch…almost forgot…just finished with one of my patients. Are you preparing to clean my office at this moment?”

 

“While you are away at lunch I thought that it would be the perfect time to begin some cleaning but not all.”

 

“I believe you should do it later. I have important papers strewn across my desk and I don’t want you to misplace them mistakenly. Do you understand?” he asked as he arose.

 

“I do understand. I’ll go and clean the other rooms.”

 

There and then an idea popped in his mind. “Have you had your lunch as yet?” The question caught her by surprise and she quickly averted her eyes. “Come and join me.”

 

He didn’t just offer an invitation to lunch but before she could offer any objections he took her by the hand and started to lead her to the dining room. The feel of his hand touching hers made a strange sensation creep inside – it was its softness against her skin.

 

“Dr. Campbell, Mrs. …Mrs. …Campbell is here already.”

 

“Probably in her room eating the usual sandwich and salad...drinking away our best champagne…”

 

The curt inference revealed that all was not well in Jonathan’s marriage but she couldn’t think about it now.

 

“Yes but…”

 

“It certainly means that we won’t be bothered.” He turned and caressed her hand. “Celia you look very nervous but you shouldn’t be. Mr. Henderson will also be there to attend to my needs… if I don’t send him away first,” he said with a sly grin. She smiled uneasily as they continued onward.

 

Abruptly he let her hand go as they entered through the double doors. Henderson and Annabelle were awaiting his arrival. The mahogany table was set for one - a steaming bowl of soup sat at its center, a wicker basket filled with fresh bread by its side and a bottle of chilled white wine standing idly completed the display.

 

“Mrs. Annabelle, Celia will be joining me for lunch. Please prepare another place setting.”

 

“Certainly Dr. Campbell…” This development so soon was certainly a surprise but not unexpected given the history between them.

 

“Where would you like to be seated Celia?” He enquired.

 

“At…this end…of the table.” far away from you as possible

 

She silently prayed that Amy didn’t decide to change her mind and join her husband for lunch. Eyes pleaded with Annabelle to rescue her from this predicament but she was only offered a comforting smile before she left.

 

He pulled out her chair and she thought he drew closer as he allowed her to take her seat.

 

“Celia you seem tense,” he whispered by her ear.

 

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

 

A small laugh escaped his lips before going back to his chair. That laugh and the gleam that she saw in his eyes made her believe that he was playing some sort of cruel game.

 

Henderson ladled his soup and poured his wine.

 

Annabelle returned with a stray set for her. She was kind enough to dish out her fare.

 

“Thank you,” Celia said softly.

 

“Thank you Mrs. Annabelle. You and Henderson may leave. I’m sure Ms. Celia and I are able to handle ourselves,” he said barely removing his eyes away from her.

<<<<<<<<<  

Celia tried her best to eat but it was most uncomfortable – there was always the threat of his wife bursting through the dining room doors. Regardless of the consequences she had to speak her mind.

 

“Dr. Campbell it is not right that I’m eating around your table given my position.”

 

“Nonsense…besides you haven’t even touched your soup. It is very good. Go on and try it,” he said between sips.

 

“I must go!”

 

“You must stay! I’m ordering you to sit and eat your lunch.”

 

His stern voice got her attention. Bowing her head she sipped her soup and ate her bread neglecting the wine. The soup was delicious as he had said and the bread was very tasty. Jonathan didn’t utter another word but ate silently observing her behavior.

 

When she was finished she looked up and found him standing in front of her. He cupped the side of her face.

 

“Please…don’t…,” she implored.

 

“I have too much respect for you to do anything against your will.” He then kissed the edge of her nose and walked out of the room.

 

It was a relief that he was gone – the beating of her heart could return back to its normal pace. A throbbing sensation remained at the spot where he kissed her. She had to confront the fact that part of her wanted him to stay.

 

“You must remember who you are and not what has been lost to you,” she reminded herself. It had been a trying day filled with these reminders.

 

 

Celia stayed this way for the next few minutes – pondering. She was frightened when the doors opened again but it was merely Annabelle coming to clear the table.

 

“What an afternoon and it just your first day.”

 

“Why he doing this to me?”

 

“Child you no need to ask why.”

 

“If he no happy in his marriage that don’t mean that he should affect mine.”

 

“If your marriage strong then whatever he does won’t affect it…don’t you think so?”

 

“Ms. Annabelle, excuse me I need to go and clean the other rooms… I already behind. The food was delicious.”

 

“Thank you Celia.”

 

It wasn’t her place to offer up any real advice. Things would progress along in their due course.

 

“I pray for your sake Celia.”

>>>>>>>>>  

4:30 p.m. 

Celia was on her hands and knees scrubbing the last of the hallway – scrub, rinse, dry. She wiped away the sweat that had settled on her brow but compared to his father’s estate her duties here were far lighter. Thoughts of Joshua crept into her mind during these moments – wondering what he could be doing or if he was missing his mother as much as she was missing him.

 

It was time to clean Jonathan’s office and she took a moment to prepare herself. Soon she heard the heavy footsteps of Henderson walking towards her.

 

“Dr. Campbell isn’t here at the moment so you can proceed and clean his office. He requested that at 5:30 you carry up his water for bathing.”

 

“Yes Mr. Henderson.”

 

Jonathan wasn’t around… where could he possibly be at this time.

<<<<<<<<<  

The Club… 

“Didn’t expect that you would join me Jonathan,” Ben said clasping his arm.

 

“I promised I would come. Where are our good friends Addison and Thomas.”

 

“Definitely been avoiding us lately especially Addison but wherever he is I’m sure he is enjoying himself.”

 

He had already set up the table for a game of billiards and was puffing away at a cigar at the side of his mouth – a glass of brandy sat perched at the table’s edge. At that moment Jonathan preferred his glass of port wine. It was going to be a short stay due to the others absences.

 

Drake’s departure had drawn the two friends closer and they managed to be his main support especially through their letters.

 

“Have you heard from Drake lately?”

 

“A month ago…he seems very happy in his life.”

 

“Indeed he does. If you had an opportunity to change the course of your destiny would you take that chance?”  Jonathan asked sipping his wine. The question had been on his mind.

 

“It all depends on the consequences I suppose. Thinking about finally divorcing that wife of yours?” He started to play but missed the third ball. “Damn I’m never going to win this game if I play this horribly.”

 

“I’m not ready to be rid of her as yet. She serves a purpose,” he said taking the cue.

 

“I wonder what that purpose might be? – A good bed mate…ability to invoke sympathies from your many female clients. You should hear the many theories that abound regarding the state of your marriage.”

 

“And yet she is still invited to these many parties!” he exclaimed.

 

“Amy is many things one of which is a great guest at parties. Unlike her husband who chooses to stay away…”

 

“I choose to stay away because I must. I don’t want to be around those hypocrites staring at me or hanging on our every word to each other.”

 

“So what part of your destiny are you proposing to change?”

 

“Only a hypothetical my friend which you truly haven’t responded to...”

 

“Damn again…” Jonathan had only two balls remaining to win. “They always say that the quiet ones are the deadliest.”

 

“I would guess that you thought that I could easily be defeated.”

 

“You’ve made me believe so. I have never seen you play in this manner. You’ve kept your skill hidden well my friend remind me never to place a bet against you.” he sighed as the last ball went into the pocket. “Whatever it is that you are conceiving its best that you tread lightly hypothetical speaking...”

 

Tread lightly…“Thanks for the wise words. Ben you are such an easy mark. I hope you don’t place bets at the track or with any unfamiliar gentlemen.”

 

“Thanks for the wise words,” he responded sarcastically. Jonathan laughed. “Let’s play another. I’m sure my own skill has not deserted me…totally,” he smiled.

<<<<<<<<<  

Evening… 

When he returned they barely said a word to each other. He greeted her and asked if his bath was ready before retreating to his room. Amy and her servants came in a few minutes later and did the same. She continued in her duties…lighting the candles for each room and assisting Mr. Henderson in preparing the drawing room.

6:58 p.m. 

The workday was finally coming to an end. Celia withdrew to the quiet of the verandah waiting for Sonia to complete her kitchen duties. The day’s occurrences had left its impression but it was a job she desperately needed…tomorrow would be another day. A whiff of his cologne signaled that Jonathan was approaching.

 

“Celia my behavior this afternoon was uncalled-for. I hope I haven’t made you uncomfortable working here.”

 

“You haven’t and it was a terrific lunch. I’ve come to realize that there are some unresolved feelings between us but our lives have changed so much during these years apart. …Jonathan…we must accept those changes.”

She called me by my Christian name. 

It took a great deal of effort not to take her into his arms when she stood so near. She possessed such a sweet countenance that made him reflect on happier times.

 

“Sometimes it’s hard to accept some changes that you feel were forced upon you.”

  

“Ready Celia…,” Sonia said. Celia was grateful for the interruption.

 

 

What else could he say but…“Have a good evening ladies. Lawrence (coachman) will see you home,” he recovered.

 

“Thank you Dr. Campbell,” they both said. “Have a good evening.”

 

He regarded every step she made until she climbed into the carriage. Maybe he wasn’t going about things the right way. Maybe his kind gesture was all that was required of him. How could he bear her being around and not showing any emotion?

 

Amy made her appearance.

 

“Come Jonathan you shouldn’t linger. It shows bad form.”

 

“I prefer to remain out here where the air is less offensive.”

 

Whilst in the drawing room they had a disagreement. Amy complained fervently about his decision to take on two new servants and Jonathan rebutted that he was the one responsible for the household since she didn’t want to take it on in the first place.

 

She took the slight and added one of her own. “Tomorrow I will have Lawrence give that carriage a thorough cleaning. It is sure to have a foul odor after returning from your generosity.”

 

“I guess poor Lawrence will be cleaning that carriage every evening from here on,” he returned. Amy went away muttering to herself.

 

Jonathan wondered how long he could subject himself to this loveless marriage when love would be staring back at him each day.

 

Hardly listening to Sonia’s gossiping Celia thought about Jonathan’s apology and how it showed his character. It would have been easier to discount him if he wasn’t the same man that she had remembered.

Chapter 3: Reflections by chocolate470

Evening cast its long shadow across the Bay. The lantern swayed as the horses trotted steadily along the earthen road with the moon keeping its vigil from high above. Here and there they could see the light from candles illuminating from the passing houses – some homes were made of wood and others of bricks but all appeared luxurious at first glance. The dogs barked loudly and the sounds echoing from the distant forest captured the almost serene setting of the North Side of the Bay.

 

The horses ascended the bridge and upon crossing the changes were evident on the South Side – the merchant shops catering to their evening clientele, carriages passing back and forth and the shouts of the men socializing in the various taverns. Lawrence picked up the carriage’s pace and soon they saw the familiar sights and sounds of their small community.

 

Celia was mentally and physically tired and she could scarcely see her Eboe Town neighbors watching the carriage curiously as they passed by. Sonia felt highly important being driven home by carriage…first time in her life…Dr. Campbell was certainly a very nice gentleman but…  

 

“Funny how Ms. Annabelle no married but I think she like Mr. Henderson,” Sonia gossiped. Celia wondered whatever gave her such an idea.

 

“I doubt that but even if she do I think Mr. Henderson like his job more than anything.”

 

“Well Mr. Henderson strange just like Dr. Campbell’s whole house.”

 

“Why?”

 

“His house upside down. Some things in order but other things not so much…Look at Mrs. Campbell she pay no attention to her house only herself…not that I’m complaining. The less she round the better.”

 

“I know what you mean but these Baymen make their own rules that we have to follow.”

“Mr. Lawrence right here,” she peaked out tapping the carriage’s side.

 

“Alright Ms. Celia…Whoa…”        

  

“Have a nice evening Sonia and see you tomorrow.”

 

“Same to you Celia…”

  

She was so happy to see her home. It was once a single room dwelling until Joseph had extended the living space. It stood four stairs off the ground and accommodated a small living and dining area as well as two bedrooms. As that period dictated the kitchen and bathroom were located on the outside of the dwelling. Celia and her family slept in one room while her mother, Lydia and her two children cramped into the other. Their sister Hortense lived at the Johnston’s residence visiting on Sunday afternoons when her morning duties were completed.

 

“Auntie Celia! Auntie Celia!” Steven (four years old) and Esther (three years old) shouted rising from the top stair.

 

“You two up past your bedtime,” she observed.

 

“Just waiting for you to come home before we go sleep Auntie Celia,” Steven said.

 

“Mama said we could wait,” Esther added.

 

“I’m happy you two waited,” she said hugging them. She had also brought them some sweets but would give them in the morning. They entered the living room locking the door behind them.

 

“Now you two go get ready for bed,” Lydia said from the kitchen.

 

“Yes mama. Goodnight Auntie Celia…,” they said as they ran to their room.

 

“Goodnight children…goodnight mama…Lydia,” she responded removing her bonnet and shawl.

 

Abigail cradling little Joshua in her arms was sitting around the small kitchen table with Lydia. A lone candle stood burning in its center provided the only illumination for the small dwelling.

 

“Joshua already sleeping? Hope no give too much trouble.”

 

“Just about…he most upset throughout the day without his mama and daddy being round,” Abigail said.

 

“I missed him too,” she said, “but I need to bathe and change before I tend to him.”

 

“Celia how work today? Hungry?” Lydia asked rising from the table.

 

“Work alright. I already eat at Dr. Campbell’s.”

 

“Celia, mama think that we can take on more laundry…”

 

“… and do some sewing,” Abigail chimed in.

 

She could tell that this must have been an intense topic of interest while she was away at work. The solutions however weren’t well thought through.

 

“Where will we hang the extra clothes and mama your eyes bad. Besides Lydia can’t sew...”

 

“But you can Celia…,” Abigail said, “it best to try something other than you working for Dr. Campbell.”

 

When she was pregnant Celia and her mother spent many days sitting around the kitchen table sewing and mending. It earned them enough to take care of their needs at the time but that was before her mother lost some of her vision and the family grew into what it is now.

 

“There is nothing wrong with me working for Dr. Campbell. The only thing I want from him is his money. Washing and sewing simply won’t work.” Hearing his mother’s voice Joshua started to stir. “I need to go bathe before Joshua start crying. I be back soon enough.” There wouldn’t be a peacefully ending to this evening.

 

 >>>>>>>>>  

“Lydia you talk to her when she come back.”

 

“Mama, you know Celia right. What happen between them was years ago.”

 

“I don’t want contention in this home when Joseph return from sea. Joseph was the best thing that happen to Celia and Joshua.”

 

“You make it sound like Celia mind already changing.”

 

“It been change from a longtime. Just talk to her. She more listen to you than me.”

 

“Mama…you know Celia stubborn. Once she make up she mind…”

 

“Lydia…please talk to her.” Abigail said it in a tone that meant the discussion was over.

 

“Yes mama…”

<<<<<<<<<  

Dr. Campbell’s Residence…

                           

A chill entered his body and it occurred to him that he had been standing on the verandah for a long period. His face felt cold and his knuckles were white from gripping its rails. Since she left he had stood seemingly in a deep trance. The approach of the returning carriage made him snap back to reality.

 

“Lawrence did the ladies arrive home safely?”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell.”

 

“Very good…carry on with your duties.”

 

Entering his residence he found a dependable Henderson dutifully holding his candle and a salver upon which stood a glass of whiskey.

 

“Dr. Campbell, your candle and your drink. Will you be requiring anything else before going to your study?”

 

“Thank you Henderson but that will be all for the evening. You may retire to your room. I will see to my personal needs tonight. Good night Henderson.”

 

“Very good sir…good night Dr. Campbell.”

  

He took the slow walk along the hallway to his study. He would take time to do some reading. Medicine was a profession that always had new discoveries and one had to keep up to understand their applications.

 

When he reached by the foot the stairs he was surprised to see a repentant Amy in her pink silken nightgown waiting for him – blonde hair draped across her bare shoulders.

 

“Instead of going to your study you should follow me upstairs.”

 

“I’m certainly not in any mood,” he muttered.

 

“I’m worried about you my love. We shouldn’t be having these disagreements,” she said in a sultry tone.

 

“Obviously we are…having these disagreements too often these days. Do you want to dissolve this union?” his brow furrowed.

 

The second time he had brought up the subject of divorce. “Where is this coming from?” she asked stunned. “Here I am ready to fulfill our innate desires and you are speaking about…,” she paused taking a breath then proceeded to trace her fingers alongside his face.

 

Unable to reciprocate her affection he snatched her hand away and said, “Amy it may have worked in the past but not tonight…my dear.”

 

Amy was undeterred and encircled her arms around his neck attempting to kiss him but he turned his face quickly removing her arms. “Amy, go to your room I have already told you that I’m not in the mood. Please excuse me I have some work to do.” He left her standing dumbfounded.

<<<<<<<<<  

Celia’s… 

After bathing and changing into her nightdress Abigail handed Joshua over to her before going to bed. She in turn took Joshua to their room and sat by her window rocking him to sleep. Lydia stood by and waited for the perfect moment to speak to Celia.

  

“I love you so much. Your grandmother and auntie don’t understand,” she said playing with his tiny fingers. Since she would be working outside of the home Celia started to cherish the few precious moments that she would be spending with her son.

 

She soon heard a knock at her room door and told Lydia to come in.

 

“Lydia, I can’t let go of this job.”

 

“Soon you have to choose between your job or your husband. I know you don’t want that to happen. When Joseph come back and find out bout who you working for he will make you stop.”

 

“No he won’t cause I will explain everything.”

 

“You keep saying that but there are things that a husband will never understand.”

 

“So we must starve. Every year things going up and we can’t depend mainly on his salary.”

 

“Maybe I should get rid of this baby. Another mouth to feed won’t help the situation.”

 

“It to late Lydia…,” she said softly, “you end up throw way yourself.”

 

“So…how Jonathan behave round you today?”

 

“Like my boss. Lydia I very tired and I need to wake up early tomorrow. I just want to be with Joshua right now.”

 

“I go but just think bout what mama and me tell you some more before you make up your mind.”

 

Celia’s mind was already opposed to the idea of leaving her new job. It would be too much an ongoing struggle if she were to do so.

<<<<<<<<<  

Dr. Campbell’s… 

He observed that she had done a great job of cleaning his study. It appeared immaculate and was the first thought that came to his mind when he opened the door. He loosened his cravat remembering her hands retying it earlier that morning. They had stood so close to one another…damn how did he hold on to his composure.

“I don’t want things to change between us.” “Eventually things will change with time.” 

A conversation between them from long ago...

 

When it came to the matter of Celia there was no ease to his conscious. It was his fault he told himself taking a sip of his whiskey and sitting behind his desk. He recalled that July evening as if it had occurred yesterday and told himself the tale once again as though he were speaking about it for the first time.

The Tale… 

It was my father’s 60th birthday – quite a feat for men who lived in the Bay. I became nauseated by the endless recounts of childhood mischief and adult achievements by his many associates. I saw Celia passing at the corner of my eye and hurriedly excused myself. I was desperate to tell her what lied in my heart.

  

*********

 

“Celia, could I speak with you for a moment.” She gazed at me suspiciously.

“Isn’t it a bit early for such things. I can’t leave right now…your father’s celebration…” 

“There are many servants in this house. I promise you that it won’t take up much time…please. I really need to speak with you.” 

“Alright.”  

I took her outside to the garden. It was a beautiful evening…the full moon…the stars shining brightly. It was the perfect setting. Celia loved being around the roses and the mermaid fountain. I took a hold of her hand and she didn’t shake it loose instead our fingers intertwined. It was a different time. I was about to go away to complete my studies…torn about having to leave her knowing the way I felt about her.

“Jo? What’s the matter? You are not going away forever.” 

“There is something I need to say before I leave.” 

“It sounds pretty serious.” 

“I will miss us being together…not only as friends.” 

“We are who we are.” 

“Lia…”  My affectionate name for her…hers was Jo…

“Jo…It is so rare that people such as us can be more than just intimate acquaintances but also friends.” 

“Lia…I love you.” 

“Jo…no…don’t say those words…Oh no…” She said turning away from me

 

My heart was beating so fast and it was crushed when she turned away. My arms encircled her waist and I placed my chin on her shoulder.

“You don’t believe in my words.” 

“It’s impossible to think that it’s real.” 

“Whenever you enter a room my heart soars and I just want to be near you. As I sleep you are there in my dreams and when I’m awake you are still on my mind. If it isn’t love then tell me what I’m feeling?” 

“You and I can never love…” 

“Lia…do you love me…too?” I turned her around and saw the answer in her tear filled irises.

“Jo…I do… love you…” 

What should have been our happiest moment together turned into our saddest when that witch Sara Brodie jumped from the bushes. We were never able to share our first real kiss. Celia left fearful and I remained behind to reason with Sara. But who could ever reason with the likes of Sara Brodie?

  

*********

“If you don’t want me to tell your father then you must offer me something to keep my mouth closed.” 

“Whatever makes you believe that my father would believe you over me?” 

“Ordinarily you would be right but I am a Brodie. What will happen if I requested that your father invite Celia to the discussion?” 

“You wouldn’t dare!” 

“Try me Jonathan Campbell! My threats are very real.” 

“What do you want Sara?” 

“A sweet kiss and my lips are sealed.” 

“Is that all! Let’s do it then!” 

“Remember it has to be believable.” 

“How do you know the difference between a good and a bad kiss?” 

“Just know that I know the difference…now stop dilly dallying!” 

I had to imagine myself kissing Celia but Sara’s lips were dry and it wasn’t my Celia’s. I walked away quickly and thought that the matter had ended. Sara still informed my father about my transgression. She had a notion that she and I would be married in the future – a business opportunity between her father and mine…a chance to create the most powerful family in the Bay. My emotional involvement with Celia certainly diminished her plans. The easiest thing to do was to be rid of Celia.

 

He didn’t want to recall the encounter he had with his father. It made him feel insignificant with Mr. Campbell threatening to put him out on the streets…penniless.

 

“Listen to me telling tales to no one. I must be going mad.” He gulped down the last of his drink and leaned his head against his chair. “One day and evening with you Celia and my mind is not my own. I shouldn’t be thinking about the past. I need to concentrate on the present and what lies in the future. You’re right Celia I must accept how our lives have changed but can I...really?”

 

That old saying ‘misery loves company’ applied to him this night. He had to go out to one of the taverns and socialize and would have no regard for the time he would be returning home. What’s good for the goose is also good for the gander.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Joshua slumbered at her side and still she couldn’t find any solace. Her interactions with Jonathan and these latest discussions with her mother and sister had caused her mind to drift back to that evening when everything changed between her and Jonathan and of course there was the aftermath…

 

*********

 Celia saw Jonathan coming towards her with a look of despair on his handsome face. She couldn’t say anything because Mrs. Benington was quickly ushering her to Mr. Campbell’s study. He touched her hand slightly in passing both knowing that this was perhaps the last time they would see each other again. She couldn’t be saved and she didn’t expect him to save her. 

Mr. Campbell’s study… 

She stood before Mr. Campbell numb and barely listening to the curses he was throwing her way. For the first time in her short life she felt the love of a man and in the same breath had lost it – rare in those days to consider love and its complications. Whatever would they have done with their love?

 

“Celia!” he shouted vexed with her non-reaction. His face reddened by his anger towards her. Oh if she were a man she would have received a sound beating. “A black witch if ever there was one… but soon my son will be purged of your witchcraft! As for you I will inform all my colleagues about your propensity for involving yourself in matters that are none of your concern. Sara Brodie was right to bring your wanton behavior to my attention and now you must face the consequences.”

 

It shocked her that he was speaking about taking away her livelihood. “Mr. Campbell I haven’t done anything wrong.”

 

“Did I ask you to speak?!”

 

“No…but…”

 

“Your failure to recognize authority doesn’t surprise me. Leave my presence at once! I can’t stand the sight of you! Mrs. Benington! Wipe this estate and my son from your memory because you will not see either again!” He was partly correct.

 

So she left with only the clothes on her back and Mrs. Benington leading the way. The household servants looked on to catch a glimpse of the disgrace. Mrs. Benington yelled for them to get back to work. Celia was escorted all the way to the huge iron gates and it made a heavy clang when it was closed behind her. She attempted to see Jonathan from behind his bedroom window but he was nowhere to be seen. It was the last time she cried for him – at least she would have a part of him once this baby was born. She would do everything within her power to protect their child.

 

*********

 

 

It was the most awful time in her life recalling walking to her mother’s house and explaining to her all that had occurred. She didn’t tell her mother about the baby until her pregnancy had started to show. They were already struggling and finding out about the new addition greatly disappointed Abigail but then Joseph came along and her life changed.

 

She gazed at Joshua and wondered…

 

“Joshua wasn’t his child really. Joseph was his father and would it be fair to anyone if the truth came out. What would Jonathan do? Probably seek to take Joshua away from me so that he and his wife Amy can raise my son,” she told herself. She reasoned that he could never see or have any knowledge of Joshua. It was better for everyone involved.

 

And what about the things you are feeling? “It doesn’t matter what I feel…Joshua needs his family to stay together.” 
Chapter 4 by chocolate470

2 ½ hours after her arrival and still sleep eluded her. Late to bed and Early to rise... was the Victorian servants' motto of the period although being employed at Jonathan's residence had afforded her an early evening. During this time Joshua had fallen asleep at her side and she took the opportunity to redo her braids. Ever now and then she peeked over at him making sure that everything was still alright.

"Come on Celia shut your eyes," she commanded herself.

But closing her eyes and wishing sleep to come didn't help much. A spider darted across the moonlit wall and she scarcely blinked. Leaning against the headboard eyes studied each crack in the ceiling wondering about the condition of her husband sailing across the vast ocean and yes she thought about Jonathan...Lydia uttered a true statement on that Monday morning...old loves never die off easily especially when a flame has been lit...

 

Meanwhile...

A dark yet starry night, the waves lapping against the ships side and the dank smell of the ocean were some of the things that Captain John Cummins loved most about the sea. He was born an English blueblood but a quest for adventure drove him into the world of seafaring. Success hadn't come easy and his sun burnt skin bore the scars of many years of strife before captaincy was achieved. The crew had great respect for him and trusted his judgment.

"Blimey Joseph hadn't figured you being much a boxer but your strong build should have given me an idea," Captain Cummins admired.

He had invited Joseph to his captain's cabin for a drink of dark rum. Joseph and a sailor called Dakers had an earlier disagreement. Captain Cummins thought the matter should be best settled with a duel of fists Joseph was the victor none the worse.

On a hunch he made a bet of three shillings with his first mate. "Aye I'm glad you gave me a bit of enjoyment laddie."

"Thank you Captain. I've got a lot of strength in my arms," he beamed. "I knew they had other uses."

Captain Cummins had grown to admire Joseph during their short time together on the ocean and Joseph felt comfortable enough to speak around him.

"It best you be getting on to bed there'll be lots of work for those powerful arms in the morning"

"Goodnight Captain."

Captain Cummins scratched his thinning tresses. He recognized that Joseph wasn't meant for stokehold work. It would take time but was going to happen...gradually.

 

Joseph slept far below deck with other black seafarers who weren't too please with his cozy relationship with the captain. They feared calling him out about it or their prides would be handed to them.

"You and the Captain had good conversation," Moses enquired propping himself in the hammock.

"Think it good to talk to the captain," he responded indifferent. At the moment his only concern was climbing into the hammock without making an ass of himself.

"Sound like Joseph have a plan for getting out of the stokehold."

"Always have a plan... I love the sea." Finally he succeeded. "Law of the sea different from the law of the land."

"Wait till they start cutting your pay. I remember they charge me one day pay for quarreling with Tom over there."

"Or when you tired of seeing sea and no dry land," Tom lamented.

"Or when rations get cut down and you have to eat stale bread with no meat," they heard someone else say.

"Or when you get beat up just because you black..."

With that last refrain the men settled back into their hammocks. They were employed to do the worst jobs on the ship which made it impossible to gain much respect from the above level crew.

"Captain won't let that happen to me," Joseph expressed confidently.

"Hope you right Joseph," Moses replied even though he wanted to say something entirely different.

 

Baymen's Club...

The taverns weren't meant for gentlemen during that time of night - the club was a much suitable option. Even though it wasn't the case, it seemed like his friends were already awaiting his arrival. Jonathan deposited his jacket and gloves, hat and cane with the attendant and headed towards the drawing room. The room was large with a lighted candle chandelier at its center. It wasn't occupied by many men but the few voices clamored over one another. Scanning the room his eyes encountered Ben, Thomas, and Addison enjoying a round of drinks and a bit of conversation around the card table.

"Ben...Thomas and Addison...," he whispered to himself. Friends that were the classic Victorian male models - living off the wealth of their fathers...He had decided to take a different route.

Ben... an energetic fellow almost six feet tall with dark hair and beard with jovial grey eyes. He was always bursting with exuberance, ready and willing to engage in anything fun-filled. Thomas was his opposite easygoing, very loyal, the quietest of his friends...5' 10", medium build with sandy hair and blue eyes. Lastly there was Addison who oozed confidence, tall, debonair, blonde hair and keen blue eyes that were very observant but appeared most charming to the ladies - a great mixture of companions for any man to associate himself around.     

"Incredible that I would run into you chaps here!" he announced easing into the fourth chair.

Ben happy to see his friend exclaimed, "Ah Jonathan! Well we could say the same about you...can't we gentlemen? Did Mrs. Campbell allow you to come out and play," he said wickedly.

"Shut the hell up...," Jonathan laughed.

"What's your pleasure?" Thomas asked. "We have already requested another round."

"I've already fancied myself a glass of port..."

"Not unexpected...," Addison said lighting a cigar, "come on Jonathan...we are all friends...seriously what's the occasion?"

"No occasion...can't a man come out and socialize with his friends from time to time. You would think that I've been put on a shelf the way you gentlemen are talking."

"We know you enjoy cuddling with your periodicals," Thomas offered.

This was most vexing. "And what of you Addison? It seems like you have been lost in the forests lately," Jonathan countered arms folded.

"Where in the world have you been? Until this night I haven't seen you at the club...," Ben said, "Nor the cricket grounds..."

Jonathan giggled, "Ben you do mean the tracks..." Ben shot him a glance.

"I was sorely disappointed when you blew off our fishing trip," Thomas said disappointed.

The gentlemen of the Bay pastimes summed up in one back and forth discussion.

"Gentlemen...I've had important business to take care of..." Addison lifted his chin and blew out the cigar smoke.

Ben decided to light his own cigar. "Business...business...," Ben moaned through a puff of smoke, "sometimes I miss our younger years when our time was better spent chasing young ladies and there weren't many expectations."

"Ben, we are still young. Well at least I know I am...," Addison tittered. The others laughed along with him.

The port arrived and so did another round of pale ale and brandy. They drank contentedly and had more laughs at each other's expense.

"Since Jonathan has joined us we should play a hand of whist. It takes more than skill to win this game...you need the perfect partner."

"Surely that excludes you from being mine," Jonathan joked.

"I am certainly not amused," Ben sulked... "I'm starting to feel like the patsy for the evening. Start cutting the damn cards!"

Each of them cut the cards in turn. Addison drew the highest card becoming the dealer and Jonathan ended up being his partner. Ben and Thomas sat together on the opposite side with Thomas being the scorer.

"Have you been invited to the Edwards dinner party?" Addison asked as he dealt the cards. He couldn't recall the last time that he had seen Jonathan at a dinner party.

"Amy and I have been invited but I was forced to decline the invitation because of work." He forced a smile. "She is still excited about attending."

"If it pleases you I could keep an eye on her..."

"I would be happy if you would," Jonathan said sipping his drink.

Play started. Jonathan and Addison ended up winning the first hand but Ben wasn't satisfied with a friendly game.

"I believe this next game should be wagered."

"I knew this was coming...," Thomas said shaking his head. Sometimes he wondered how Ben held on to his money.

"I'm game...," Addison said shrugging his shoulders.

"So am I. What are we wagering?" Jonathan asked eagerly.

"Ten shillings..."

Half a pound...not much...but adequate for a wager between friends...it was agreed. Ben and Thomas won the next game but Addison explained that it would be fair to everyone if it was the best two of three hands.

"I read that move Ben..."

"Oh you did..."

"Good show Jonathan..."

Cigar smoke filling the air...a few drinks...great fun, Jonathan was at ease. The next two games were won by Jonathan and Addison who divvied up four pounds much to Thomas' displeasure.

"And here I thought you would have been a good partner Ben..."

"I also thought that you would a good strategist...keeping score..," Ben snickered, "I did have an amusing time and we should get together more often." The others nodded their heads in agreement.

Addison snuffed out his cigar in the ashtray and said, "Gentlemen it has been a great pleasure but I must be getting home."

"You're right it is getting late," Ben said following his lead.

The other club men had retired for the evening and they were the only ones remaining in the drawing room along with a lone attendant.

The friends got up to leave except Jonathan who had planned on spending the night. All members of the club had a private room assigned to them which they could use whenever the need arose.

"Jonathan, aren't you coming?" Ben asked starting to follow behind his two companions.

"I'm not ready to go home as yet."

"Oh...then may I speak with you privately for a moment."

"Of course..."

"Thomas I will join you momentarily..."

>>>>>>>>> 

They strode to a quiet corner and Jonathan asked, "What do you need to speak to me about?"

"I have it on good authority that your father is making return visit to the Bay."

Jonathan felt an internal turmoil but he maintained his composure.

John Campbell was spending a great deal of time in the United States making a handsome profit from contraband trade with the confederates. Jonathan also suspected that he had another family there as well.

"Who told you this?" he asked stoically eyes never wavering from Ben's intent stare.

"Does it really matter? You must prepare yourself."

"It's been a longtime since I've allowed my father to control my life."

"There is still his influence," he cautioned...a deep sigh past his lips.

"I believe I've created some of my own." He placed a quiet hand on Ben's shoulder. "Ben, do not trouble yourself. When the time comes I will be able to handle my father. Do you know when he will come?"

"Sorry I do not."

"Then all I can do is wait for this visit but my life won't come to a standstill because of this knowledge." even if there are implications...

Ben smiled then said, "I'm confident you can handle your father. Good evening Jonathan."

"Ben thanks for the forewarning and have a good evening."

He didn't go upstairs immediately rather he went to the writing room to write a letter.

Dear Drake,

I hope you and your family are well. You wouldn't believe what has been happening...

 

The next morning...

4:30 a.m.

Steam floated from the old washtub - Celia's morning had begun. It was time to do Ms. Abigail's and her family's laundry...a task she didn't want to leave until evening. Those were safer times and there wasn't any fear of standing outside before daylight doing the wash - most of her neighbors were doing the same.

5:00 a.m.

The outside fire hearth was lighted with wood that Lydia and the children had collected from the day before. Celia and Lydia were busy getting breakfast ready while Abigail remained inside with the still sleeping children.

Soon it was time to bathe and change into her work attire. Carefully she kissed Joshua and went to the living room. She left the sweets with her mother to give to the children as a morning surprise.

5:30 a.m. Sonia called and they were on their way to work.

In between idle conversation Celia yawned and stretched. Last night she had fallen asleep late and had tossed and turned until she finally awoke at her customary time of 4:00 a.m.

"I feel the same way Celia with those five children of mine."

Sonia had three girls and two boys who ranged in ages from 7 - 14 years. Her husband Peter was an axeman at the mahogany camps. The few months when he was at home he wasn't much of a father-figure but provided for his household the best way he could.

"I hardly sleep last night and I still get up early to wash."

"I hear you...but all in the life. How Lydia?"

"The baby growing good but I see her feet swelling. Mama tell her to soak her feet in warm water and Epsom salt."

"That will help her. Thank the Lawd this old body can't bear anymore children. As for you Celia... you have some ways to go," Sonia suggested with a sly smile.

"No way...no way...no right now. That's why whenever Joseph and I together I drink me bitters when I feel something strange or no see something."

A sad thing to say but Celia only satisfied Joseph's sexual urges when she perceived the need to do so. Firstly she had no desire of becoming pregnant until Joshua was four years old and there was also that comparison.

"Ha...Ha...Ha...mind you get weak." Sonia had a hearty laugh for the morning.

>>>>>>>>> 

Upon arriving Henderson greeted them as he opened the door. Off to the kitchen and they greeted Annabelle and then Amos who was preparing to lug water up to his mistress bedchamber. Amos was a tall and handsome Creole in which Celia could easily tell that Sonia had a playful interest. Sonia eyed him carefully as she went about assisting Abigail with breakfast. The upstairs bell rang.

"I must go now Madam is calling for me. Mrs. Abigail I will return for Ms. Beatrice breakfast."

<<<<<<<<< 

Breakfast consisted of biscuits and toasts with a choice of butter or strawberry jam, there was scrambled eggs and sausages with English tea. Celia's breakfast at home had never come close to this feast and she usually felt guilty about partaking in it knowing that the others at home were enjoying plain porridge.

With the conclusion of the servants' breakfast Amy's breakfast tray was placed together - a bowl containing bananas, oranges along with imported apples and pears; finished with the tea-urn, china cup and saucer, silver teaspoon and fork.  

Celia collected her cleaning supplies from the Housemaid's closet and went about her duties happily...grateful that she hadn't come into any contact with Jonathan.

>>>>>>>>> 

An hour later whilst upstairs cleaning the guest bedroom she heard a commotion coming from down below. Naturally it tweaked her ears and she crept by the edge of the wall to listen in. Wherever Amos and Beatrice were she didn't see them.

"Where were you last night?!" Amy yelled. Interesting Jonathan wasn't home. Where was he?

"Watch your tone. I am not one of your servants!" Jonathan snapped.

Amy gathered herself patting the side of her head. "Be that as it may I deserve to know where you were," she responded calmly.

The tide had certainly turned Jonathan thought. "Like I deserve to know how and where you spend my money."

Celia imagined that the couple was becoming fodder for malicious gossip especially with Sonia around.   

"Your wife was left alone... all night long."

"Henderson, Amos and Lawrence were available to you."

Amy cocked her head and declared, "Those men are not my husband."

Jonathan sighed heavily. "If you should know I spent last night at the club. Does that satisfy you? I don't know what you are trying to accuse me of." Jonathan's ire spread across his face. His feet stood apart arms akimbo.

"I'm not going to allow you to ruin my day because I have much to do," she said brushing past him, "I need to start preparing for the Edwards dinner party tomorrow."

"And I need to get ready for work. I was going upstairs for my bag."

"Do whatever suits you. Celia! Celia!"

"Why are you calling for Ms. Celia?" he asked suspicious.

She turned slightly. "I need her assistance."

"You have a personal maid named Ms. Beatrice who is more than capable of assisting you."

"Ms. Beatrice is doing an important errand for me." Jonathan rolled his eyes. "I need Celia's assistance in getting dressed."

"Ms. Celia is not your personal maid!" he insisted face turning a deeper shade of red.

"If you're going to be that way I shall be forced call to upon Sara Brodie...begging her to loan me one of her maids!"  Sara Brodie...his eyes narrowed. The name likened to a slap in his face.

Hearing her name being called Celia immediately went by the banister.

The mention of Sara Brodie made her mind come to a standstill. Jonathan's eyes moved upwards. He noticed Celia standing at the top of the stairs.

"Don't ever mention that woman's name in my presence again! ...or your allowances will be cut off for a whole year," he hissed. 

Amy appeared stricken by fear and didn't know quite how to respond. It was the loudest that she had heard Jonathan speak to her.

She barely whispered, "I'm sorry...it will never happen again," ...before running up the stairs past a stunned Celia.

<<<<<<<<< 

Celia hadn't anticipated that the name Sara Brodie would invoke such an emotion of sadness within her. For a moment her eyes latched on to his but soon she retreated to the confines of the guest bedroom.

Quickly she opened a side window trying to regain her calm. Two days and their distant past was coming to the surface. She was foolish not to believe that it wouldn't have happened.

The knob turned and the door cracked open revealing the only person that understood her predicament. Instinctively she ran to him.

<<<<<<<<< 

He hadn't fathom that she would come rushing into his arms and she didn't know how long she'd be allowed to remain in its comfort. She listened to him calmly breathing, smelt the faint scent of his cologne and felt the touch of his linen shirt against her cheek.

Eyes tightly closed two arms drew her nearer. He didn't speak nervous of breaking the serenity that was occurring between them. It had been a long time since he held her this way...it felt so damn good. How empty his arms had been without her. An unexpected noise from the outside... the spell was broken.

"Forgive me...I didn't mean to...," she stammered moving away.

"It's alright Celia. You were upset..."

"If I had known that your wife is familiar with Sara...," she said without lifting her eyes.

"They are not friends mainly acquaintances. She threw her name out only to incite a reaction from me."

"She achieved her aim because it certainly affected both of us..."

"If I were an evil man I would have made Sara pay dearly for what she did to us."

"But you are not your father." Her eyes gazed at his again. "You are kind like your mother...thankfully. Things have changed.  I'm so embarrassed. My second day at work and I'm already running into your arms," she chuckled nervously.

"Don't give it another thought. You had a very good reason;" he cracked a smile, "feeling better?"

"I am... thank you for asking."

"Well I must be on my way. I'm sure my clients are already waiting." He started to walk away.

"Jonathan..."

"Yes Celia..."

"I'm grateful that you allowed me to work for you."

"You work very well and have good character. It wasn't a stretch for me to consider you for the job. Mrs. Annabelle helped as well."

"But you could have easily turned me away...given... our history."

"And you could have easily not showed. When it comes to you and me there are many regrets Celia but whenever you need me I will be here for you... now."

His brown eyes swept over her and they both discerned a spark between them.

"I...I...need to get back to work."

"Yes...yes...so do I. Remember my wife is not to disturb you from your work. Please inform me if she does."

Celia nodded her head. "Have a good day Dr. Campbell."

"Have a good day Celia," he bowed then took his leave.

Celia couldn't help but giggle with herself. She felt at ease. Was that necessarily good or bad? She paused and thought about it.

Jonathan on the other hand felt light on his feet when he went to retrieve his bag. An embrace, polite conversation...he was giddy with excitement. Celia was starting to trust him again. For the first time Henderson heard Jonathan whistling as he went to his office.

<<<<<<<<< 

"Celia! Celia..."

"Oh no what could Amy possibly require..."  She observed Amy standing by the door to her boudoir. "Yes ma'am."

"I need you to come and assist me."

"Forgive me Mrs. Campbell but Dr. Campbell has left me with strict instructions."

"What strict instructions?" Amy asked bewildered.

"I am only to perform my household duties."

"Nonsense! I am his wife and part of your duties includes serving me," she pronounced.

"Dr. Campbell is my employer and he specifically stated that you are not to disturb me from my work. Excuse me Mrs. Campbell but I have much to do."

Amy's mouth was left agape. It had been quite a morning. Already Jonathan had the servants rebelling against her wishes. She needed to have a serious discussion with her husband. What to do but wait on Beatrice to return.

"Ooh!" She yelled slamming her door.

Chapter 5 by chocolate470

“You are of good cheer this morning.”

 

“Am I?” Jonathan cracked a smile checking Mrs. Taylor’s breathing with a stethoscope. “Take another deep breath…”

 

In those days physicians were taught not to talk or maintain eye contact with a female patient - her modesty must be maintained. Physical examinations were done at the permission of her husband or male relative. Dr. Campbell was breaking the rules but the residents never spoke out against it. They had confidence in his methods.

 

“Sound breathing… You are complaining of a raspy throat?”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell and I fear it’s going to get worse,” Mrs. Taylor agonized.

 

Jonathan retrieved an auroscope from his medical bag. “Open your mouth wide and say ahhh… hmmm…Now please lift your chin.”

 

Mrs. Taylor shifted in her seat. Dr. Campbell’s hands were soft, gentle unlike her bumbling husband. And who could forget his suave vocals. What woman wouldn’t succumb to his charms... Her pale cheeks flushed.

 

“Do you have a fever Mrs. Taylor?”

 

“Perhaps…”

 

Jonathan checked her forehead with the back of his head. “Clearly you have a fever and your glands are slightly swollen.”

 

“I hope I’m not going to be very ill. Mr. Taylor always accuses me of over indulgence.”

 

He sat at the edge of his desk reassuring her with a compassionate hand squeeze. “It is not so serious. Gargle your throat three times daily with a half-glass of vinegar, a pinch of salt, a squeeze of lime stirred together.” He wasn’t against mixing home remedies with conventional medicine. “I’ll give you some medicine for the fever. Bed rest for three days.”

 

“There is no one that understands a patient’s care the way you do,” she praised.

 

“I believe that a physician’s job is more than just writing out prescriptions. It also involves listening and understanding the needs of one’s patients.”

 

“If Henry could only listen to me while I’m speaking,” she frowned, “he never understands a word I say.”

 

“Some husbands are different than others.”

 

“I believe your wife is blessed to have you for a husband.”

 

“I also believe that your husband is blessed to have you for a wife.”

 

Mrs. Taylor blushed. “Oh you…Whenever you have the time you and your wife should think about joining us for dinner.”

 

“My wife and I will think about it. Thank you Mrs. Taylor.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

 

Files were kept recording his patients’ complaints, diagnosis and the sort of treatment that was recommended – a medical history.

 

As he finished writing in Mrs. Taylor’s file his mind strayed.

 

He yearned for Celia to enter through his doors. Lunch could be had again…no…that tactic failed miserably. Celia appeared very frightened and behaved as such. Progress was made earlier that morning but there was so much that was left unsaid – time was lost to them, ripped away he should say. His emotions hadn’t changed but had her feelings remained the same? She has a husband, a child. Where could he possibly fit in her life?

In all likelihood just a good friend…

Ha…a good friend that knows every curve of her form sensed her skin against his, tasted her tongue when their lips melded…overjoyed when he pressed into her…

 

Witchcraft! The memory of his father’s booming accusatory tone was an unwelcome interruption.

 

Celia wasn’t a witch but his true love.

 

“Damn him to hell!”

 

The prospect of his father’s impending visit was cause for alarm. Celia shouldn’t endure that reintroduction. John Campbell would show up at his front door unannounced and barge through the hallways. He thoroughly enjoyed making others feel small in his presence. If only he knew the date of his return then he would be able to give her some time away.

 

Through a quickening heart rate and ragged breathing he muttered harshly to himself to regain some calm. He was a man of position and no longer under the thumb of his father.

 

“Dr. Campbell…” Henderson’s steady knock at his door… “Mrs. Danderson has come for her scheduled appointment.”

 

“Henderson, please give me a moment…” An available handkerchief was used to mop his brow. “Come in Mrs. Danderson.”

 >>>>>>>>>  

 

Celia was exiting Dr. Campbell’s room when Beatrice came running up the stairs with package in hand. Before entering madam’s boudoir she took a breath and made herself, what she thought, was presentable. Celia could only imagine the complaints that Amy was sharing about her husband’s disobedient housemaid.

 

15 minutes passed… In the next moment a distressed Beatrice went running down the stairs destined for Jonathan’s office. Celia decided against paying it any attention. She remembered what happened the last time when she was too curious.  Seconds later Jonathan sprinted up the stairs with a sobbing Beatrice behind. Something terrible must have occurred but it was not her place to snoop.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

On the floor Amy laid crumpled looking very pale. Jonathan placed a vile of smelling salts by her nose. She coughed.

 

“Dr. Campbell I didn’t know what happened one minute we were talking and the next…,” Beatrice rambled and cried.

 

Amy was still coughing as he lifted her off the floor placing her in the bed.

 

“Ms. Beatrice, please calm yourself and pour my wife a glass of water.”

 

“Right away sir...” A tray containing a jug half-filled with water and glass was sitting atop Amy’s chiffonier.

  

“Amy…Amy…”

 

“Jonathan…where…where…am I?”

 

“You fainted, my dear. Come…drink this water…”

 

She gulped down the entire glass of water. “Hmmm…”

 

“Nothing is broken but the fall gave you a bump on the back of your head.”

 

“Oooh…yes…I do feel it. My head aches. What do you suggest?”

 

“For now rest.” Jonathan took off her shoes and slipped her feet under the covers. “Ms. Beatrice, ask Mrs. Annabelle to prepare my wife a cup of tea.”

 

“Yes sir…”

 

“Jonathan, thank you. I know we have been at odds lately but if you weren’t here. I don’t know…” He leaned down kissing her forehead.

 

“Stay with me a little while…,” she pleaded.

 

“I will…”

 >>>>>>>>>  

 

The anguished state of Beatrice left Celia to conclude that indeed something terrible had happened to Mrs. Campbell. There was a sense of guilt about the way she acted towards her. She should have assisted Amy even though she was a beast… she must have made quite an impression for Jonathan to marry her.

What makes you believe that the two of you would have married? Not here…not anywhere… 

<<<<<<<<<  

 

How long she stood downstairs waiting for news she couldn’t tell. Soon a concerned Mrs. Annabelle joined her. The door clicked shut and they saw Jonathan’s stolid figure coming down the stairs towards them.

 

“How is Mrs. Campbell?”

 

“Yes how is she doing?”

 

“My dears she is alright and is quietly resting.” Annabelle silently thanked God.

 

“Ms. Beatrice gave us such a fright,” Annabelle recounted.

 

“I’m happy to hear that she is feeling better.”

 

“Celia, it is very kind of you to wish her well.” For a moment he regarded her.

  

“Do you believe Mrs. Campbell will be well enough to attend the dinner party?”

 

“Knowing Amy…of course she will. There isn’t anything that will derail her plans.”

 

The conversation continued and Celia left…she had to start cleaning the windows.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

Amy popped on eye opened and asked, “Is he completely gone?”

 

“Yes Mrs. Campbell,” Beatrice sighed.

 

“I should give you extra for that stellar performance but alas Jonathan controls the finances in this house. Did you see the way he reacted around me?” Amy asked gleefully climbing out of bed.

 

“Mrs. Campbell maybe you shouldn’t be out of bed. The bump on the head is real.”

 

“A necessary consequence…the faint had to be believable. I hardly feel it. Beatrice stop being so stodgy.”

 

“What if Dr. Campbell returns and finds you out of bed,” Beatrice replied with a concerned expression.

 

“It’s your duty to keep an eye out… isn’t it my dear Beatrice?”

 

“Yes ma’am.”

 

“By the middle of the afternoon I will be well enough to finish up my last minute shopping. I just have to ease into recovery…carefully.”

 

Some men are easily deceived you need to use the right tactic. If your husband is a physician then become one of his patients. Amy’s tip for the day.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

As the morning went on Jonathan did timely check-ins on Amy who seemed to be recovering very nicely….already sitting up in bed without any lingering effects. The color in her cheeks was returning. Cause for any remaining apprehension had disappeared. He could go on his home visit which his male patients preferred. Not without a small complaint from Amy.

 

“I’ll only be away for a short while.”

 

“I’m going to miss you.”

 

“My dear let’s not pretend that I’m going away for a week,” he chuckled.

 

“I was beginning to form an attachment with the Bay’s best physician and my savior. Alright go but could you return with some chocolates from the confectioners.”

 

“What kind would you prefer?”

 

“Surprise me,” she bubbled.

 

Even a quick kiss from her husband didn’t dampened Amy’s sense of accomplishment.

“Mother always said better to be a damsel in distress than a raging shrew.”

 

“And if you were to be found out?”

 

“A wife’s concern for the state of her marriage outweighs such defiant behavior. Beatrice sometimes you are so slow to understand what it takes to be a wife and keep everything together. One day you will understand.”

 

She also understood what lengths Amy would go to hang on to the status of being married to a physician. God please help Dr. Campbell.

 <<<<<<<<<  

There was an expectation that at any moment Amy would beckon her. She had prepared her mind to accept any possibility including a stern lecture but the call never came.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

For the household staff lunch was served promptly at 11:30 a.m. – day old soup with bread and lime juice. Absenting Beatrice and Amos the others crowded into the tiny servant’s room and sat around a table that seated six – Henderson at the head, Annabelle at the opposite end, Lawrence at the left, Celia and Sonia on the right. Words remained unspoken. Each kept to their side…slurping soup, chewing bread, sipping juice until the meal was finished. Annabelle and Sonia cleared away the dishes.

 

One incident and the entire mood of residence had changed – hardly a noise to be heard except for those that came from the outside. Ordinarily Celia hummed dusting all the knick-knacks on the whatnot stand in the parlor but today she was concentrating on cleaning them perfectly.

 

The parlor was a most impressive room filled with some remembrances of Jonathan and Amy’s time in England. White linen curtains swept alongside the piano that was rarely played. Colorful magazines regarding travel and geography lied strewn across the center table. Black and white paintings of his grandparents and mother kept vigil from cream wallpapering designed with gold traceries. Two stuffed peacocks flanked either side of the room while mahogany upholstered settee and chairs stood tall upon light gray tapestry carpeting. These are a few details of how the room appeared…there was more… much more. Anyone could see why most of her time was spent tidying this room.

 

“Chocolate?”

 

“What?”

 

Turning around a piece of delicious chocolate was slipped into her mouth.

 

“I’ll give you and Sonia some chocolates to take home,” came Jonathan’s trailing voice. “isn’t it delightful…”

 

Happiness was a piece of chocolate – a true delicacy that was rarely sampled by the poor. She was lost in the delightful morsel churning over and over inside her mouth.

 

“Hmmm…,” she sighed as she swallowed the last tasty bite.

 

How disappointing. It was gone but Jonathan had promised more. Won’t everyone at home be delighted… her eyes sparkled at the thought.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

Again Amy and her two servants left for the day. Seemed like the day was back to normal….whatever that meant…. She took a stroll to the kitchen.

 

Sonia lifted her head from the simmering pot her face glistening with perspiration. She used her apron to wipe the sweat away. “Work easy?”  With the cooking progressing the kitchen became very warm.

 

“Just finish with the parlor still have some other rooms to do.” Including Dr. Campbell’s office…”So what we eating for dinner?”

 

Sonia cleared her throat and began her English mimicry. “Mrs. Annabelle is preparing a special meal for our loving couple this evening.”

 

“Do tell madam…”  Celia stifled a chuckle.

 

“Cream soup with broiled snapper; thereafter roast pork with steamed vegetables. For dessert there will be a savory plum pudding. A sparkling bottle of French champagne will accompany the meal.”

 

“It sounds very romantic. And what crumbs for your poor…humble…servants.”

 

“Stewed breast of chicken and rice accompanied with pale ale if you so desire.”

 

“No desert?”

 

“You are far too…lowly…” Sonia snorted. Much to Annabelle’s dismay Celia as well made herself merry.

  

“If you two can’t stay quiet it best that Celia go back to her work.”

 

“Sorry Ms. Annabelle,” they replied contrite.

Moments later… 

“I still excited. Hope we have some leftovers to take home.”

 

“Not with the way these men eat around here.”

 

“I think I’ll prepare a special plate for Amos.”

 

“Sonia behave. Leave that man alone. He have enough problems dealing with Ms. Amy.”

 

“That’s why he need a woman to look out for him. Make him feel good.”

 

“You will make him feel good,” Celia said crossing her arms.

 

“Sometimes a man need a reminder that he mean something in this world.”

 

“With a special plate of food?” Celia’s face showed that she couldn’t believe Sonia’s tactic.

 

“It the small things that make a man feel good. You’ll see.”

 

“That your situation.  Just don’t do anything foolish.”

 

“Who…me..?

 

Best to leave Sonia alone for the rest of the day – liable to hear about her other plans for Amos…

 <<<<<<<<<  

Wiping away the dust from the ornamented hallway mirror was a task that Celia truly detested. She believed that the mirror revealed her true self. There wasn’t any joy behind her brown eyes – Joshua was her sole comfort…to see the world through his small inquisitive eyes was the highlight of her time with him. Everyone else was focused on surviving through to the next day.

 

“Ms. Celia…”

 

“Yes Mr. Henderson…”

 

Again Jonathan wasn’t available which meant that it was time to clean his office and remember to take up his bath water as well.

 

Being alone in his office Celia became distracted and started to think about their brief interactions. Questions formed in her mind.

What do I really know about Jonathan? 

“He’s very kind…treats others well…”

Regarding his relationship with Amy? 

“Unhappy and yet there is still some feeling…”

And what of his feelings towards me?

          

“I’m not sure if it be love, pity or both…”

And my feelings towards him? 

“I should have no feelings towards him but I’m not going to be made a fool again…”

  

Celia smirked. Too much time was being wasted on playing this foolish game. Work was calling.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

When Amy arrived home Jonathan soon followed. Instantly Amy became clingy and there wasn’t any chance of them speaking to each other.

 

Disappointment set in when Jonathan failed to join her on the verandah like the previous evening. Could she be jealous that Amy was occupying his time? Hardly – Amy is his wife. She gripped her shawl tightly.

 

Before leaving Henderson gave them each a bag full of chocolates.

 

“Pinch me cause I must be in heaven,” Sonia squealed eating a piece.

 

Lawrence soon appeared to take them home. Apparently the carriage ride home wasn’t just for one evening.

  

The carriage bumped along. Celia gave Sonia a hard stare…she couldn’t have just one piece but started devouring the others.

 

“Celia you don’t like chocolate?”

 

“I’m saving them for the family at home.”

 

“Oh…yes…” Her five children at home must have slipped her mind.

  

“Sonia you ever been in love… bad?”

 

“When I first meet me husband. Nothing I wouldn’t have done for that man. Thought I would always feel that way.”

 

“So what happened?”

 

“Life happened. That first feeling of love only the beginning. See if you still have it when things start to go wrong. Men can let you down but if a woman still care there are ways to test a man. Like what Ms. Amy did today.”

 

“You think Ms. Amy wasn’t sick?” Celia asked shocked.

 

“Come on Celia even I have tried it with Peter. It all in the game. Today Amy get chocolates and attention from her husband.”

 

“You live and learn but are you sure,” she replied not entirely swayed. “Sometimes Ms. Amy look delicate in this heat.”

 

“Delicate…please…that woman tougher than me and you. I feel sorry for Dr. Campbell cause he a very nice man. He don’t deserve a wife like Amy. That type of woman bring down a man spirit. Soon he will treat us differently cause of that witch.”

 

It was definitely something to ponder.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

Jonathan fidgeted a bit in the settee with Amy seated beside him. Her right arm cradled around his left. Amy claimed fragility and begged for his companionship. It prevented him from going outside to bid Celia a good evening.

 

“When we were dating I remember you sending me love poems.”

 

“I remember.”

He paid a tidy sum for each one.

 

“I wish we would return to those days. I hate when our energies are wasted in frivolous disagreements. It’s madness.”

 

“I agree.” He cleared his throat.

 

“I believe that I’m well enough to attend the dinner party tomorrow. You should join me. I need someone to lean on,” she ended softly. She rested her head upon his shoulder.

“I have no objections to you attending but I’m still unable to go with you.”

 

“I am saddened but as your loving wife I do understand.”

 

“Excuse me for a second but I need to pour myself a glass of sherry. Do you want one?”

 

“Not at this time. Where is Henderson?” She asked peeved.

 

“I’ve sent him to lock to main doors.”

 

“Oh…”

 

Pouring the sherry he became mesmerized by the slow burning candle. Its flame had remained still meaning there was little wind – a warm evening. The sherry went down easy and he poured himself another.

 

“Jonathan as your wife I should be charged with the household servants including my own. It’s a great task to be dealing with both your office and this house. The home is my responsibility.” After all this while her aim was revealed.

 

His staff was quite happy under his stewardship and he would keep it that way.

 

“My dear it is not a strenuous task as you suppose it to be. I have Henderson and Mrs. Annabelle to assist. So far it has worked out perfectly.”

 

Having this conversation with his wife was like hanging clothes outside on a rainy day – there was no point.

 

Her countenance changed. She had failed in this first attempt. “I’m going to bed.” She stood and extended her hand. “Join me…”

 

“My dear…”

 

“Only to sleep beside me…please… I feel safer when you are beside me.”

Jonathan nodded his approval. Amy smiled wickedly. Let’s see if he will shy away from my advances again.

Chapter 6 by chocolate470

Seemed as if sleep wasn’t what his wife was going for because she disappeared to attend to some business but told him to wait because she would be back shortly. His heart was softening towards her. It was best to pamper…she did have a difficult morning.

 

“I wondered where you had wandered off to,” Jonathan quipped.

 

He stood patiently waiting by her bedroom room door having discarded his cravat, jacket and vest.

 

“Clever use of a pun my love,” Amy smiled, “Here I’ve brought the bottle of sherry and two glasses.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because you probably would’ve been downstairs sipping wine instead of catering to my wishes. I also felt for a glass myself.”

 

“I see that you have already started without me.” Jonathan observed that her glass contained some wine.

 

“I’ve sampled a small amount but have saved the rest for a toast. Allow me to pour you a glass.”

 

“What are we toasting?”

 

“A fresh new start. To Us…”

 

“To Us…”

 

Clink.

 

Meanwhile… 

Chocolates turned out to be a pretty nice treat until the children clamored for more.

 

“Auntie Celia, please for more!”

 

Even Joshua joined in on the request extending out his hand. “Mama, more…” Chocolate smeared the sides of his mouth which Celia began wiping away.

 

“I don’t have anymore. Baby…no more…,” Celia shook her head.

 

“No more…,” Joshua repeated.

 

Steven and Esther couldn’t believe that the delicious chocolates were all finished and continued asking. A frustrated Lydia chased them off to bed.

 

Lydia took a seat by her mother. “Today chocolates wonder what he will give you the other days,” she teased.

 

Celia glared at her. “Sonia got some too and I think so did the other servants.”

 

“You think. Man know how to cover himself.”

 

“The chocolates were for his wife.”

 

“I wonder what sin he committed to be giving her chocolates.”

 

The conversation infuriated her. “Mama, please tell Lydia to stop harassing me.”

 

“Lydia, behave.”

 

“I’m going to bed. I wouldn’t be thinking bout Jonathan if you didn’t remind me every time I come home.”

  

“Sometimes I sorry I pressure her to marry Joseph but what could we do. Everything was going fine till me eyesight fail.”

 

“Why would Joseph want to marry someone who can’t love him the same way?”

 

“Celia easy to fall in love with and hard to let go.”

 

“Jonathan let her go.”

 

“Never in his heart. Celia never let him go either but things different.”

 

“Joshua look just like Jonathan. I know she and Joseph see it. Make me think that part of the reason Joseph went to sea.”

 

“Make we stop bothering Celia bout it. Things already hard in this life. Lydia leave her alone.”

 

“Yes mama.”

 

<<<<<<<<<   

“Hmmm…” Jonathan smacked his lips. On his third glass.

 

“Is there something wrong?”

 

“It’s nothing. It tastes very good tonight.”

 

“Then I suggest you drink another glass,” Amy laughed.

 

“Just one more…”

 

Gladly she poured him another thereafter placed the bottle and glass aside. Jonathan took notice as Amy undressed – her pale skin stood out in the light.

 

“Help with the corset please.”

 

“So this is your main purpose.”

 

Amy spun around. “I beg your pardon. I don’t know what you are inferring but you have seen my naked form before. It makes no difference. My corset needs to be unlaced so are or aren’t you going to assist me.”

 

“Alright…alright..” he replied in an exasperated tone. “Where is your sense of humor?” Thinking about it did Amy ever have one?

 

“Ha…Ha…does that help?”

 

“Quite.”

 

With corset unlaced Amy removed her chemise and bloomers. Flawless skin revealed her pink areoles and blonde curly hairs covering her mound. There was no reaction from Jonathan because he wasn’t himself.

 

 “I need to go open a window because the air in here has become stifling.”

 

“Just a short while because I don’t want to catch a draft...”

 

Relief didn’t come from the night air – he wasn’t feeling well at all. He closed the window. “Amy, are you finished. I need to lie down.”

 

“Jonathan…come…lie down…”

 

“I don’t know… what’s happening… to me,” he muttered climbing into her bed.

 

“You see we both need some rest. Don’t speak anymore. I’m here and will take very good care of you.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Joshua, go to sleep.”

 

Hehehehe…he was making himself merry crawling around in the bed. One of those evenings Celia lamented.

 

“Hush…you’ll wake everybody. Come here,” she whispered holding him fast. “Why you giving me trouble tonight?”

 

“Mama…ma…ma…want go room.” Room meant he wanted to play with his cousins in the next room.

 

“You already gone to room today…remember?” Celia nodded her head.

 

He nodded his head as well but still said, “Mama, want go room.” Those brown eyes sparkled with insistence.

 

“No Joshua you are going to sleep.”

 

“No…,” he wept.

 

Peace was achieved when Celia hummed an old song from her childhood and stroked along his back.

 

“That’s my good little angel. In the end it will be fine for the both of us.” 

 <<<<<<<<< 

Next morning… 

“Bloody Hell!” Jonathan awoke with a painful headache.

 

Surprise…surprise…Apparently Jonathan had spent the night in his wife’s bed and there was something else.

 

Amy’s eyes fluttered open. “Good morning my love,” she beamed stretching her arms.

 

“What the hell happened last night?” He rubbed his aching temples. “Please get me a glass of water.”

 

Amy eased her way out of bed and poured him a glass of water. “Jonathan, how could you not remember? Last night was filled with so much passion.”

 

“Passion as in sexual passion...”

 

“Look at yourself. You are naked and so am I,” Amy responded curtly shoving the glass into his hand.

 

“I am…naked. I don’t remember undressing,” he murmured to himself, “And I certainly don’t remember touching you…in that way…” Quickly he gulped down the water.

 

“You make it seem so awful to lie with your wife.”

 

“A man should remember making love to his wife…shouldn’t he?”

 

Doubt clouded his judgment. Last night he hadn’t intended on sleeping with his wife and yet it had occurred. Clothes strewn on the floor was enough glaring evidence.

 

Amy scoffed, “I’m truly hurt by your words and lack of memory. Perhaps my performance wasn’t up to your standards.”

 

“Amy, I didn’t mean anything against you,” he said pulling her towards him. “What I mean is that…I would have loved to have remembered.”

 

“Believe me we made the sweetest love. It was like we were on our second honeymoon. You were so loving and whispered so much words of love to me.”

 

“Then forgive me for not recalling the finer details.” He gave her a small kiss and stroked her tresses.

 

She basked at his attentiveness. “You’re forgiven. My love, say we are happy again.”

 

“Yes we are happy once again.”


Amy was his wife and he must be content with that decision.

  

 knock…knock… “Madam…”

  

“Beatrice, you stupid cow! Please return to your room until I call for you?!” They heard Beatrice scamper away. “These servants don’t know how to conduct themselves! You give them the same instructions over and over and over!”

 

Oh his head. “Amy there is no need for name calling or this fit of rage. Ms. Beatrice is blameless. She didn’t know what was going on.”

 

“She is to blame for many things. These days her work has become shoddy. I’m prepared to send her on the next ship to England.”

 

Such a statement didn’t make much sense to Jonathan. “You are overreacting! Ms. Beatrice has been a loyal servant to you and I will not hear of this nonsense about sending her away!”

 

There were so many sides to his wife but at times her temperament was ghastly very much like his father’s.

 

Leave it to Amy to do away with the joyful mood. Scrambling to his feet he pondered how much sherry he indulged last night. A throbbing head told much.

 

“Jonathan, don’t leave like this.” Quickly she arose. If her nudity was tempting last night he felt nothing now. “You’re right in saying that I overacted…she interrupted a tender moment between us. Over the past few months those moments have been few.”

 

“I must prepare for work. You must prepare for your dinner party,” he sighed.

 

“Please consider coming along with me.”

 

“Work will occupy my mind… and you wouldn’t want… that… at your dinner party,” he intimated donning his underwear, trousers and shirt. The socks and shoes he clutched meekly in his palms.

 

“Amy, seriously, I want you to apologize to Ms. Beatrice.”

 

“What?! Is the servant greater than the mistress?!”

 

“You were in the wrong,” he growled.

 

“I will never apologize to someone…like her,” she stated emphatically.

 

“Then consider our earlier moment…gone.”

 

“Jonathan!” she shouted as he left. “Jonathan!”

 <<<<<<<<<  

Beatrice received a hard smack across the face.

 

“You’ve ruined everything!”

 

“What have I done?” Beatrice asked between tears.

 

“Cease from crying you silly beast and start attending to my needs. You must be at your best today or I swear…Where the hell is James? James!”

  

Jonathan made a beeline for his bathroom dousing his face with water. Less noise and his headache was gradually going away. Sleeping with Amy…last night…He recalled waiting, drinking sherry, unlacing her corset but the rest of the evening was a blur. It didn’t make sense to try and decipher what really went on unless it occurred again.

<<<<<<<<<  

“Please Dr. Campbell Mrs. Campbell requests your presence in the breakfast room.”

 

Putting aside the morning’s differences Amy had wanted to make amends and sent Beatrice to summon him to breakfast.

 

“Ms. Beatrice, inform my wife that I don’t care for breakfast this morning.”

“Ms. Beatrice I apologize for my wife’s ill-temper this morning.”

 

“Thank you Dr. Campbell,” she whispered before hurrying to her mistress.

  

Henderson waited with his overcoat draped over one arm and his gloves, hat and cane in the other. Celia had ceased her sweeping.

 

“Good morning Ms. Celia. How are you doing this glorious morning?”

 

“Good morning Dr. Campbell. I’m doing well and hope you are the same.”

 

“Seeing your face every morning is the highlight of my day,” he smiled as Henderson assisted him. “How were the chocolates?”

 

“They were very delicious and everyone enjoyed them.”

 

“Well I’m off for the rest of the day. As always Ms. Celia, have a good day,” he said tipping his hat.

 

“And a good day to you as well...”

Such an image to behold – Amy raked her fingers through her long tresses. So he prefers to smile with this insubordinate black wench. Let’s see how long she’ll be smiling when I give her a task. 

 

“James! Beatrice!”

 

“Yes ma’am!”

 

“Go upstairs and wait for me. I need to make a quick visit to the kitchen.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

10:15 a.m. 

“Ms. Amy asked that you take Dr. Campbell his lunch,” Annabelle said handing her a medium-sized wicker basket.

 

“Where?”

 

“Her Majesty’s Infirmary.”

 

“But that far away Ms. Annabelle…is a carriage available?”

 

“No. Don’t argue just do as you are told.”

 

“Yes ma’am…”

 

Maybe her straw hat would aid her in this tiresome journey.

 

Her Majesty’s Infirmary was a two hour journey by foot along a dusty road traveled mainly by horses and carriages not walking human beings. By the time she arrived she would need time to recover. Annabelle provided her with two oranges to occupy her mind and satisfy her stomach.

 <<<<<<<<<<  

“Watch it!” she yelled after a passing carriage. The dust that it left behind didn’t help either. “You can’t walk in peace with these carriages about.” Who weren’t offering any complimentary rides. She coughed flailing her arms then made sure that the food was properly covered.

 

Along the way she ate one of the oranges and paused to take a breath. The intense sun was bearing down heavily and the infirmary was nowhere in sight. It would have been easier if there were corners to bend or at least a cloud cover overhead. This was a form of punishment she thought. Ms. Amy was indeed a clever woman. Finally she saw the two-storey red brick building. She laughed giddily at having made it.

 

Celia had heard many stories about this place. Rather than a place of healing it was viewed as a place where the poor came to die whether black or white. It was said that the ghosts of the dead haunted the grounds and would travel back with anyone who dared to enter the hallways. Part of her reflected on those frightening tales but it had to be ignored. She hoped that her arrival was timely.

 

She spent a moment outside removing her hat and fanning herself. Her mouth felt dry and she desperately needed a glass of water. I should have eaten the second orange. She was saving it for her return journey.

  

“Are you sick or have you come to visit someone?” A nun with a pleasant face asked Celia as she entered. She wondered how the nun endured her black habit in the suffocating heat.

 

“I’ve brought lunch for Dr. Jonathan Campbell.”

 

“You could allow me to take it to him or do you wish to see him as well.”

 

Her feet ached and she wanted to rest for a while. “I wish to see him.”

 

“By what name should you me addressed?”

 

“Ms. Celia ma’am…”

 

“Ms. Celia, please wait here.”

  

Some faces stared at her while others looked afar off. Although a bit crowded it wasn’t as terrible as she thought. She half-expected the halls to be filled with the walking dead. Long benches standing in rows of three were occupied with all manners of persons in need of care. Nuns patrolled the corridors keeping a sort of silent order. Now and then one would here coughing, some murmuring or feet shuffling but nothing otherwise. It did have an unusual smell – a mixture of people, medicines and cleaning fluids rolled into one.

 

“Ms. Celia, come along Dr. Campbell will see you now.”

 

The nun led her past a huge wooden door and up a stairway. Jonathan’s office was located on the second floor at the far end of the building. Up here the air was different – much better.

 

“Celia, I didn’t expect you to come here. Have a seat you must be pretty tired,” he said concerned. He arranged a chair for her to sit and one to set her tired feet upon. “I’ll pour you a glass of water.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

His office was small but tidy – a desk with three chairs and a small bookcase.

 

“Ms. Amy decided to send you some lunch - bread, cheese and by now warm ale...”

 

Amy had never sent him lunch before but maybe she was genuinely trying to make amends but sending Celia on such a long journey wasn’t prudent. He would need to give her a return carriage ride.

 

The water tasted so excellent that she beseeched him for another glass.

 

“It’s a nice surprise because I usually take lunch at the club when I have the time.”

 

That comment sounded suspicious. “Have you eaten anything today?”

“Well…”

 

“Tell me the truth because I know how you are when your mind is occupied.”

 

Chuckling he asked, “How can I be?”

 

“Don’t bypass my question. In the meantime have half of my orange while I take out your lunch.”

 

“You could have some lunch as well,” he said biting into the orange. “There seems to be enough for the both of us.” The orange was succulent and sweet.

 

“Alright...”

 

She divided the bread and shared the cheese equally. Jonathan pulled a chair beside her and they ate quietly. He was enjoying their time including the warm ale. Celia seemed calm and it felt like two friends having a good meal together.

 

“How do you feel working here?”

 

“You have some good days and some bad but you learn a great deal.”

 

“This office doesn’t compare to your home office.”

 

“And I prefer it that way.”

 

“I can see it in your eyes that it’s very fulfilling work.”

 

“Very fulfilling…I’m thinking about coming out of private practice and working at a regular hospital.” Amy would be so thrilled with that prospect.

 

“I always say do what makes you the happiest. There are few times when people have such an opportunity.”

 

“You’re right of course.”

 

He hadn’t dared inform Amy about his plan. It would have probably ended in an argument. Private practice afforded him more freedom and a great deal of wealth. She would never understand him wanting to shift his status.

 

Lunch ended far too quickly and as Celia prepared to leave Jonathan thought it was the perfect time.

 

“Celia there is something I need to tell you.”

 

What could it possibly be? Her eyes requested.

 

“I must tell you before you hear it from somewhere else,” he replied in a low tone.

 

“Is it something terrible?”

 

“Terrible to us,” he sighed, “My father is returning for a visit.”

 

“Your father!” She yelled standing.

 

Could her heart beat any faster? Naïve to believe that her life was rid of that old bastard… She was experiencing a haunting and not from the ghosts that dwelled within these walls.

 

“Celia…”

 

Instantly she remembered where she was and sat back down. “When?” she asked quietly.

 

He reached out and grasped her slightly trembling hands. “That’s what I don’t know. It pains me not being able to tell you.”

 

“He is not going to ruin my life like he once did…” It was more a question to him. She loved working again.

 

“No…I won’t allow it.”

 

“I remember walking to my mother’s house shedding so many tears for all that he was taking away from me.”

 

“He took away the most important part of my life.”

 

“I heard what he did to you.” He locked Jonathan in the wine cellar for three days. “How could a father do that to his own son?”

 

“It is nothing…nothing compared to what you had to endure. I should have done more…gone against him,” he said leaning his head against hers.

 

“What could you have done? At the time you had no influence.”

 

Better to be like Romeo and Juliet than live a life that is devoid of that true feeling of love. He understood it now.

 

“You were everything to me. My mother died and I thought God must truly hate me for leaving me with that cruel man. I wanted to die. But when you became a greater part of my life it didn’t seem so unfair.”

“I know that I’ve lost you forever,” he bemoaned.

 

“You haven’t lost me. Look at me…I’m right here with you. Sure things cannot be as they were but we can form some sort of friendship.”

 

Her heart was breaking for him and they shared a tearful embrace.

  

“Promise me that you’ll stand by my side.”

 

“I promise.”

Chapter 7 by chocolate470

“That’s all I ever wanted,” she said in a small voice.

 

He massaged her hands and stared loving into her eyes. “Ask more of me and I’ll give it to you.”

 

“There is nothing more to ask. You have helped me a great deal.”

  

Their speaking in such soft tones brought back horrifying memories.

 

“Can you ever forgive me?” he quietly enquired.

 

Celia blinked her eyes. “What are you to be forgiven for?”

 

“For letting the woman I love go…”

 

She pulled her hands away and stood saying, “I’m too tired to talk about this anymore. It’s time for me to leave.”

 

“Please forgive me for overstepping. My lunch break isn’t quite finished and I’ve enjoyed your presence.”

 

Admittedly she had enjoyed his as well. “Very well I’ll stay.”

 

The conversation continued.

 

“It hasn’t been too much work for you.”

 

A wry smile formed on her lips. “Haven’t you asked me this question before? You want to give me a salary for doing nothing.”

 

“Possibly…”

 

“And what of Sonia she wouldn’t take that too kindly.”

 

“She doesn’t need to know unless you tell her.”

 

“Seeing that we are good friends I think I would tell her.”

 

He laughed heartily. “Let me help you with a carriage ride home. The least I can do for bringing me lunch.”

 

Celia was surprised. “You’re sending me home for the rest of the day?”

 

“Why not? You deserve it.”

 

“Jonathan you should take me to your residence.”

 

“How many miles did you walk today?” he asked serious.

 

“I don’t know,” she shrugged, “but I assure you that I’ll be able to continue on with my work.”

 

“You have two choices…either I take you home or you remain here.”

 

“Stay here?” That certainly wouldn’t do. “And do what?”

 

“Lie down. There is a small bed in the adjoining room.”

 

“No…Jonathan I haven’t started on the other rooms. Precious time has already been lost.”

 

“I thought you were enjoying our time together.”

 

“I am but…”

 

“Stay here or go home,” he repeated.

 

“It seems I don’t have another choice,” she sighed.

 

“Well I am your employer.” Jonathan tilted his head. “What does Ms. Celia prefer?”

 

“I’ll remain here.”

  

Walking in front of her he grinned fully aware that she was very sore about the decision.

 

He led her to a room containing a bed and a wooden table. Lace curtains covered the one two open windows.

 

“What am I expected to do?”

 

Defiant behavior but if she was going down that road then…”Sit on the bed, unlace your shoes and lie down. I’m going downstairs.”

 

“You’re leaving me here...alone?”

 

“No one will disturb you in this room. Besides I haven’t seen a ghost as yet,” he winked but Celia laughed nervously. “Don’t tell me that you believe those ghost stories.”

 

“Of course not,” she responded confidently.

 

“Alright then…relax.” He touched her shoulder then strolled away.

 

Luckily a slight breeze was blowing and she did exactly as Jonathan requested. By the time her head crashed into the pillow she was sound asleep.

  

Center of Town 

The Café  

Amy’s lunch with Ana and her sister Clara had just concluded – cucumber sandwiches, scones, sweet tarts and tea.

 

“The Edward’s dinner party is finally here. Isn’t it so exciting,” Clara gushed, “Mrs. Edward has chosen me to play a piano solo.”

 

“As well Mrs. Edwards has asked me to join her ladies’ circle…,” Ana said. Amy sneered. “Such a pity that you haven’t taken up embroidery. It would increase your social standing greatly.”

 

Clara had become her sort of friend and she considered Ana a mere bug that should be squished under her shoe.

 

“A physician’s wife doesn’t need to be carrying on in such social circles. They are quite dull. I already have status,” she replied sipping her tea.

 

“Gained on the back of your poor husband,” Ana muttered to herself.

 

“Pardon me…”

 

“Ladies it serves no purpose whatsoever to argue over foolish matters. Let’s gossip about the possible guests.”

 

“Let’s,” Amy responded dismissing Ana with a quick turn of the head. “I believe Addison may be coming along with your admirer Thomas…”

 

“Why do you always remind me of that laggard? Amongst Jonathan’s friends he’s the least impressive.”

 

“You shouldn’t be so judgmental Clara. You have so many suitors and you haven’t made your choice. Maybe Thomas believes that he still has an opportunity to gain your affections.”

 

“Of course Ana is perfectly correct. I need to make a decision fairly soon.”

 

“Clara you should start doing away with the weaker elements and don’t forget what counts for status...”

 

“Money and property...We should also include attractiveness.”

 

“You’re so right. Who could bear the sight of a hideous creature standing at your side.”

 

“There should be room for love,” Ana offered.

 

Ana needed advice. “You must also secure your future. Love is only for a while. When your body becomes old and frail is your husband going to comfort you and be there till death. No…he’ll find himself a young vixen to warm his bed. Learn Ana and you’ll be greater for such knowledge.”

 

One person she didn’t want teaching her anything.

 

Campbell’s Residence… 

“It no right that Ms. Amy send Celia out like that,” Sonia complained, “Celia must have done something to upset her but I can’t think what that could be. Celia just go bout her work and no bother nobody.”

 

“Humph…” Annabelle mulled it over.

 

Sonia raised her arms. “That Ms. Amy no correct in the head. She want control over everything…everybody. I tell you Dr. Campbell better watch himself.”

 

“Dr. Campbell can handle himself better than you think. Ms. Amy is the one that need to watch herself.” especially with Celia around…

<<<<<<<<< 

Celia moved her head from side to side, yawned and her eyes popped opened. For a moment she couldn’t recall where she was and then she caught sight of Jonathan.

 

“How long have you been sitting there?”

 

“Not long…”

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Guess…”

 

Sketching… right foot propped against the left with a sketchbook on his lap fingers moving swiftly across the page.

 

“Surprised?”

 

“I am. I thought…”

 

“Marriage, work…who has the time…but once I have a muse I make the time.”

 

“May I ask what or whom you are sketching?”

 

“You. Are you offended?” he asked with a smile. How long had she been asleep? “An hour and a half...”

 

“I didn’t ask,” she said nonchalantly rising from the bed.

 

“You thought it therefore I answered.”

 

“Now you can read minds.”

 

“Yours for the time being...”

 

“May I see it…”

 

“It’s not finished.” He quickly took it from view.

 

“Jonathan let me see…please.”

 

“Be patient…I’ll show it to you when I’m finished.”

 

Celia feigned tearful disappointment and turned away. “Why are you being so cruel?”

 

“If you want to see it so much…then…”  Celia swirled around happily. “Then you’ll have to catch me first.”

 

“You are cruel as I supposed.”

 

An exciting chase ensued until a tired Celia collapsed unto the bed breathless.

 

“That was very enjoyable,” he said. He placed the pad on the small table then fell into the bed beside her.

 

“I almost forgot how tired I am.”

 

“Still…So I was right all along.”

 

He seized the opportunity to caress her cheek. Celia didn’t resist the gesture but simply lowered her eyelids feeling the weight of his palm against her skin. Sleep was threatening to overtake her once more.

 

“Mrs. Benington would consider our behavior very childish,” she said yawning.

 

“Mrs. Benington wouldn’t know amusement if it bit her in the rear end.”

 

“Hmmm…” Celia shifted over to his side. Jonathan snuggled her closer – his right arm looped across her chest.

 

Right where he wanted her to be – secure in his arms…even if she belonged to someone else.

 

“Celia, do you trust that I can be here for you?”

 

“Hmm…” her eyes opened slightly.

 

Lia…Do you believe in me?”

 

She whispered, “I believe in you.”

 

He gave her a gentle kiss but refrained from taking it any further. She moaned softly against his lips before descending into quiet slumber.

 

Surely he had broken both a marriage vow and one of the Ten Commandments but that small kiss ignited an extinguished flame. All thoughts drifted to reviving their love affair but it wasn’t possible. Life and too many years had passed them by.

It isn’t possible…he mentally recited over and over again. It isn’t possible…damnit but why doesn’t my love for her die? Why?! 

It hurt greatly to desire someone that was emotional lost to you. 

 

“Dr. Campbell, are you in here?” A voice inquired from the outside...

 

“Yes I’ll be out shortly.” Rising from the bed he made sure not to disturb her sleep. 

 

Jonathan sighed. Dr. Lake’s small favor to him had run its course. He almost forgot the sketchpad on the desk.

 

“Can’t leave you behind…”

  

Campbell’s Residence… 

“You… cease from your duties and go clean the house at once,” Amy commanded.

 

She and Beatrice had just entered the kitchen.

 

“Me?” Sonia questioned. The evening’s unprepared repast was spread across the kitchen table.

 

“Yes I’m speaking to you! The housemaid hasn’t returned as yet and the house needs a cleaning. You do know how to clean a house?”

 

“Yes ma’am but…”

 

“Annabelle can take care of the cooking by herself. It doesn’t take much to prepare a meal.” Then you do it witch. “Go on and clean the house instead of standing here looking very foolish.”

 

“Yes… ma’am.” Sonia needed a breath to soothe her anger. Noisily she grabbed the cleaning articles from the housemaid’s closet.

 

“Why are you creating such a commotion?!” she asked vexed.

 

“Forgive me…ma’am,” Sonia responded and strode out of the kitchen.

 

Amos stood outside at his mistress beckoning – a life he had grown accustomed to over the years. He never saw much beyond doing it for the rest of his days.

 

“Ms. Sonia…”

 

“What is it Amos?”

 

“Wondering how you are?”

 

“Ask me how I am later on but not right now.”

  <<<<<<<<<  

“Beatrice come along my hair needs to be styled. Everything must be perfect for this evening.”

“That foolish housemaid must have gotten herself lost or trampled by an oncoming carriage. Whichever it is I hope never to see her common face again.” Annabelle glanced at Amy and shook her head in disgust. “No matter we can always hire a new one. Beatrice make the curls tighter you silly girl. Must I tell you everything?!”

 

Annabelle felt that Amy’s behavior had gotten progressively worst as the years went on and her treatment of the servants was inexcusable. Many maids had left the household due to her horrid behavior. Jonathan had often turned a blind eye choosing instead to be non-confrontational...hiring new staff. She had kept silent for far too long and the situation needed to be explained to him in greater detail or she may have to find work elsewhere.

  

Her Majesty’s Infirmary…

Who are you looking for? Jonathan… where is he?

Mr. Campbell, what…what are you doing here? 

What am I doing here? The question should be what are you doing here.  Didn’t I tell you to stay away from my son! 

He’s a grown man that can make his own decisions. He doesn’t need you lording over him! 

So now you are willing to speak on my son’s behalf. You’re not frightened. 

I was never frightened of you. 

I should laugh at your feeble attempt at bravery but I am more interested in your secret.. 

What secret?! 

Come…come Celia you’re a smart woman. I’ll give you that at least.  Joshua is my grandson. Surprised that I know your little secret. 

Nothing you do or say surprises me Joshua has a father! 

Jonathan is his father witch! I warned you Jonathan about her character. Now you have heard it for yourself. 

Why Celia? Why did you keep my son away from me?

Jonathan…it was all I could do. 

I thought you loved me. Didn’t that love create our precious son? 

The situation was impossible and I did what I needed to do. Jonathan… 

Walk away Jonathan she can never defend her actions.  

Jonathan please I can explain…I can explain… 

You liar! You’re dead to me Celia…DEAD! 

I have my son and I will be coming for my grandson shortly...hahahaha… 

No…No…No…  

 

no…no…no…no… 

“Celia, wake up…”

 

“Huh! Jonathan…” She clung to him tightly. “Oh Jonathan I had such a horrible dream.”

 

“It explains why you were talking in your sleep.”

 

Her heart skipped a beat. “What…what was I saying?”

 

“Didn’t understand what you were saying. It’s over now.”

If he only knew that it wasn’t over for her. She started to waver on the decision to keep Joshua a secret. Was it fair to Joshua not to know his true father? 

“Are you alright?”

 

“Yes…” She took note of his changed features. “Is something wrong Jonathan?”

 

“There’s nothing wrong. Come on let’s get you up. My duties are completed. May I take you home now?”

 

“No you should take me back to your home.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I need to discuss something very important with Ms. Annabelle...”

 

“I see…”

<<<<<<<<<  

The fading rays of the sun carried them on the journey home. Sitting side by side Jonathan stayed quiet and it troubled Celia a great deal.

 

“What are you thinking about?” her eyes gazed downwards.

 

“I’m considering giving you a day off.”

 

Two reasons…after what occurred she deserved a day and secondly he needed one day to regain his mental fortitude – something was persistently nagging at him and it needed careful thought.

 

“Jonathan I assure you that I’m not a feeble woman.”

 

“Celia I’m not accusing you of being feeble,” he replied. Celia was never someone to pretend weakness and he admired her for it.

 

“Because I’m perfectly capable of performing my duties... My tiredness was due to the heat and the wearisome journey.”

 

“You react as if I’m going to dismiss you. What’s going on?”

 

“Nothing…,” she ended abruptly.

 

“I guess we’ll hear no more of this then.”

 

Perhaps an awkward back and forth but the level of comfort had changed between them. Neither would say it out loud but it had already commenced.

 <<<<<<<<<  

After descending from the carriage he asked her to remain while he struck up an in-depth conversation with Henderson at the far end of the verandah. It lasted around twenty minutes and having been satisfied they all entered the hallway.

 

“My husband Jonathan and the missing housemaid...”

 

“Amy I need to have a word with you…privately,” he said removing his gloves and handed them to Henderson.

 

“Forgive me my love but I’m still preparing for the Edwards dinner party,” she said calmly. “I’m surprised that you have come home early. Have you changed your mind about going?”

 

“I don’t care about the stupid party!” He yelled banging his fist against the wall. “You and I need to have a word…now!”

 

Amy shocked expression prevented her from uttering another word. Quickly she flipped her curls and hurried off to the parlor… Jonathan followed. Sonia who was cleaning at the time was immediately removed. Celia stood in the hallway unmoved reflecting on her own concerns.

 

“Celia, me think you hurt or something. Ms. Amy has no heart.”

 

“Dr. Campbell took care of me and brought me back.”

 

“That good. I guess opposites attract because those two are complete opposites.”

“What wrong with you?”

 

Best thing to do was leave. “Give this to Ms. Annabelle and tell Dr. Campbell I went home. He won’t see me till Friday.”

 

“Alright.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Was it necessary to embarrass me in front of the servants?”

 

“Shut up Amy and sit the hell down!”

 

She sat down on the settee unsure Jonathan’s rage. “Jonathan, why are you in such a dark mood?” her voice trembled.

 

He shook his head “A dark mood she says. Your cruelty knows no bounds sending that poor girl on that tiresome journey.”

 

“Celia managed the journey well. I see that you brought her back none the worse.”

 

“Always a nice… roundabout explanation from the lovely Mrs. Campbell...”

 

“What is the meaning of this?!”

 

“How many times have I dismissed others observation of you…”

 

He paced from one end of the floor to the other barely looking at her directly. One hand massaged his forehead while the other was firmly attached to his hip.

 

“What have others been saying about me? Do you now believe their words? It’s all lies!” she yelled standing rushing to him. “I love you Jonathan.”

 

Indeed he was willing to make their marriage work even though it was a complete fallacy. He proposed and didn’t she deserve a husband who could give her whatever she desired. Why? Because he was unable to give her that part of himself that belonged to someone else… 

 

“I don’t want to hear a single word of love out of your mouth.”

 

“But I do…” She tried to hold his hand but he snatched it away.

 

His eyes caught sight of the refilled sherry bottle sitting atop the center .

 

“Love doesn’t set about poisoning one’s husband.”

 

She recoiled at his words. “Poison?”

 

“Are you daft?! There was some type of drug in that sherry last night. Foolish of me not see through your motives.”

 

“Jonathan, there was no poison in your sherry…,” came her tearful response.

 

“All morning it nagged at me and there were no answers. Why would I forget making love to you? Why was it so hard for me to recollect some of the evening’s events?”

 

“Jonathan there was no poison,” she repeated, “why don’t you believe me?”

 

“Then what was it!” Gripped by fear she was unable to respond.

 

“Earlier you had complained that Henderson wasn’t there to assist me therefore I asked Henderson if he saw you downstairs after he had closed the main doors. His response was yes. Then I asked if you had requested any assistance from him at the time. His response was no. He waited for your return but still you chose to bring the sherry and the two glasses upstairs…alone. I find that very strange for a woman who has two servants at her beckoning,” he growled.

 

“Because you have no memory of last night immediately I’m being accused of trying to do away with you.” Her defiant stance had returned. “I reiterate that I didn’t see Henderson.”

 

“I say that you pretended not to see him believing I wouldn’t question your narrative. Servants are mainly seen and not heard. Henderson is never one to participate in idle gossip.”

 

“You choose to believe him over your wife!”

 

“I choose to see the truth!”

 

“Your truth! How about seeing the real truth!”

 

“What was in my drink? Answer me!” He yelled gripping her shoulders.

 

Amy struggled. “Jonathan please, you’re hurting me!”

 

“I’m sending you away to Cousin Rosemary until I’ve made a decision about our future together.” Jonathan pushed her aside.

 

“NOoooo…”

 

“Go to your silly party but by tomorrow you’ll be gone.”

 

“Please…,” she groveled. “I’ll do anything…anything…”

 

“Amy you shouldn’t beg. It shows bad form.”

 

Monday evening’s words thrown back at her… Amy steadied her nerve understanding that his mind wouldn’t or couldn’t be changed. “How long must I stay away?”

 

“I’ll send word when you should return.”

 

“So I must be carried off to some desolated area until you send for me!”

 

“Does it look I give a damn!” He yelled walking away.

 

“You have never cared about me you bastard!”

 

Amy hurled a vase at the slamming door.

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Ah.” He took a short breath. “Ms. Beatrice! Ms. Beatrice!”

 

Beatrice came running down the staircase. “Yes Dr. Campbell.”

You bastard! Come back here we are not finished! I love you! 

“Please see to your mistress and afterwards start packing for a journey. Mrs. Campbell is going to stay at Cousin Rosemary’s for a time.”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell.”

  

A nervous Sonia announced, “Dr. Campbell Ms. Celia has left and won’t return until Friday,”

 

“Celia’s gone? Damnit!”

 

“Do you need anything else?”

 

“You may return to the kitchen.”

  

Henderson stood aside awaiting instruction.

 

“Henderson my gloves… I’m going for a short drive to settle my mood.”

 

“Very well sir.”

 <<<<<<<<<<  

Relief set in when he saw Celia leaning against the porch.

 

“Sonia told me you left.”

 

“It’s been a hard day and I’ve decided against walking any further. Kind sir I’m in need of a good carriage driver to take me home. Do you know of anyone?”

 

He jokingly looked around. “It seems that I’m the only one available. May I be of some assistance my good lady,” he grinned.

 

Celia patted her chin lightly. “Hmmm…I don’t know. Are you qualified to take on such a task?”

 

Extending his right palm he said, “Trust me. I’ll take good care of you,” he whispered in that voice that sent shivers throughout her body.

 

She recovered enough to say, “I trust you.” …and accepted his hand.

                            

The good humor was a way to measure his temperament. In her heart she couldn’t leave given the turbulent mood – that’s why she had stayed…to be his shoulder to lean on if he needed her.

 

He needs me.        

Chapter 8 by chocolate470

Scattered pieces of glass were strewn across the carpeted floor and Beatrice had to be careful. She almost felt sorry for Amy who appeared rather pitiful – twisting her hands together, green dress sweeping the floor as she paced from one end of the settee to the other. Her beautiful face flared by anger yet her mind was apparently hard at work on some plan.

 

almost… “Mrs. Campbell…”

 

“There you are…” as if she had called for her a longtime ago.

 

Part of her said not to question but…”Are you still going to the dinner party?”

 

The look in Amy’s eyes made Beatrice bite her tongue. “Whatever makes you believe that I’m not going to the Edwards’ party? Take that silly notion out of your mind this instance!”

 

“Yes ma’am”

 

“Indeed I’m lagging behind in getting ready…is my dress finished? How is my hair?”

 

It was as if nothing had occurred. Mrs. Campbell did have a way of pushing aside negative emotions – a survival mechanism Beatrice surmised.

 

“Your dressed is ready and your hair is perfect madam.”

Servants should never see you at your weakest or they may use it against you later on.

“I’ll judge for myself. Where is the maid?” she asked peering at the broken glass. “Today’s housemaids are so inadequate unlike my mother’s time,” she complained careful to step over the debris.

She spied Henderson leisurely walking down the hallway.

 

“Henderson, inform the housemaid that she must clean the parlor at once. There are broken pieces of glass on the floor. ”

 

“Mrs. Campbell, she has already left for the evening.”

 

“On whose authority?”

 

“Dr. Campbell’s ma’am...”

 

Amy snorted. “Well go on and find another. Must I instruct you on how to be in charge of the servants,” then she had a brighter idea, “Better yet clean it yourself.”

 

“Of course Mrs. Campbell...,” Henderson nodded.

 

A minuscule victory but she glistened at the prospect of him maybe cutting his hand. Should have broken more items but nevertheless she had greater things to ponder…far greater than getting a sort of reprisal for Henderson’s disloyalty. If Jonathan thought he would send her away and be rid of her so easily then he was mistaken. She hadn’t yet conceived a plan but she could come up with one at the party.

 <<<<<<<<<  

There were moments in one’s life when you have an opportunity to confront past issues and deal with them. He couldn’t give up this occasion to be with Celia and speak with her about serious matters.

 

“Would you be annoyed if I don’t take you home… as yet?”

 

“It all depends on where you are taking me.”

 

“A place where I go to ease my conscious when my mind becomes too distracted...”

 

“Sounds very intriguing...There is still some light so I don’t mind particularly,” she smiled and he returned that smile.

As the horses trotted onward Celia was deep in thought – had her mind strayed and her heart taken over. After all this while finally some alone with Jonathan. Within that same thought process…What in the world is she thinking? Then her mind concentrated on Jonathan. Poor…poor Jonathan Amy was everything Sonia asserted or else why would he have behaved so angrily towards her. 

“Don’t worry…” as if he discerned some hesitancy, “didn’t I promise to take good care of you.”

 

She reacted surprised. “You are worried about me?”

 

“Just trying to understand your sudden change in mood...”

 

“And here I am trying to understand yours.”

 

Celia glanced around. Where ever he was taking her civilization would be a rarity…a dwelling here and there but mainly trees and dense overgrowth. She shifted in her seat.

 

“Again I say that you mustn’t be frightened.”

 

“Believe me…I’m not.”

 

At last they came to a long picket fence. He slowed the horses’ pace until they arrived at the gate. Jonathan began yelling for the caretaker to have it opened. A middle-aged black man with a gimp in his step surfaced from a small hut that was built under a sapodilla tree.

 

Opening the gate he greeted, “Good evening Dr. Campbell.”

 

“Good evening Mr. Bailey. I would like you to meet Ms. Celia.”

 

“A pleasure to meet you Ms. Celia...”

 

“A pleasure as well Mr. Bailey...”

 

Jonathan climbed off the carriage and assisted Celia in doing the same. She removed her bonnet and left her shawl behind while Jonathan continued his chat with the caretaker. A few feet away the river flowed peacefully. She observed that the grass was well trimmed and a few trees were strategically placed around the extensive property.  Closing her eyes she listened to the sounds of nature.

Time could easily be forgotten being in a place like this. 

“Is this property yours?”

 

“Yes it belongs to me. I purchased it awhile ago.”

 

“This is an absolute amazing piece of property!” she exclaimed, “Just feel that breeze and smell that crisp air. Why hasn’t it been developed?”

 

“Because I acquired it with you in mind…”

 

A long pause her eyes focused intently at the river. It was perfect for going swimming on those hot May days.

 

“You don’t believe me?”

 

“What good does believing do any of us?”

 

In his hand he had a blanket that was retrieved from the backend of the carriage. He proceeded to spread it out on the ground.

 

“I thought you were tired from walking.”

 

“I am.” She spun around.

 

“Then come… sit beside me.”

 

Her body tensed as she settled down next to him. “Sometimes it’s good to get away from everything and everyone. This is the perfect place.” He was happy that she approved.

 

“Jonathan why were you so angry?”

 

“I don’t have to tell you why I’m so unhappy. If things were different…”

 

“But things aren’t different,” she reminded, “Why do men get married? Isn’t it because they want to move beyond their father’s authority and assume leadership in their own households.”

 

“And women…”

 

“Also to move from underneath their parents’ stern hand… Marry someone that can take care of them and their children.”

 

“And what of love?”

 

“Love is for those who are young. It’s not for those who have been hardened by life’s problems.”

 

What a dim view but in some sense she was right. “I’ll tell you a secret about my wife. She doesn’t want to bear me any children.”

 

“Surely you’re wrong.”

 

“My wife cares more about her physique.”

 

“Jonathan’s it’s a great risk bearing a child.”

 

“But I’m a doctor!”

 

“Your being a doctor is not enough and you know this to be true.” Jonathan went into a weird laugh prompting Celia to ask, “What’s so amusing?”

 

“You defending my wife.”

 

“Certainly I don’t know her very well but I am a woman,” she scoffed folding her arms.

 

You certainly are. “I guess we should agree to disagree on this matter,” he chuckled.

 

“I guess we should,” she responded serious.

    

 “I envy your husband,” he said lying down, “what’s his name?”

 

“His name is Joseph.”

 

“He has a smart, beautiful wife and a son. What is your son’s name?”

 

“Joshua…” she didn’t look his way.

 

“A very strong name. I’ll wager that when he’s grown he’ll be as smart as his mother.”

 

She tried her best to fight back the emotion. “I have no doubt that he’ll be successful in his life,” she responded in a quiet tone. Her hands felt cold and she wanted to get away.

 

He placed his left hand on her arm. “Have you ever felt alone without being alone?"

 

“Many times,” she admitted, “but I have Joshua to see me through those dark moods.”

 

“Whom do I have?”

 

“Amy.”

 

He chuckled softly. The conversation changed.

 

“One day I saw you, a man I assumed is your husband and your son walking together by the courthouse. Seeing your son…humph… I had my suspicions. But having a suspicion and bringing the truth to bear are two different things.”

 

“Then why Jonathan…why didn’t you ask me there and then and get it over?” Tears started to roll down her cheeks.

 

“I didn’t know how to approach you...”

 

“I wanted to be here for you but look at what you are doing to me! I should have stayed far away from you!” She buried her face in the blanket crying uncontrollably.

 

Jonathan attempted to comfort her but found that it wasn’t possible…she wanted him to go away.

You bastard all you do is hurt the woman you love!

                                                                   

Quickly he arose picked up a stone and hurled it into the river… plunk. He strode a little further away and took up another and then another and then another. It wasn’t his place to ask her. The memory of that day had always remained somewhere in his thoughts.

 

The mental torture went on for the both of them.

 

So he had managed to figure it out on his own without her telling him. She recognized that Joshua’s features had made this possible. Everything was like his father, mannerisms, intellectual and that quick-wit. 

 

Hurt, pain, disappointment things he feared would come to past and the blamed rested squarely on his shoulders. The woman he loved was in tears and there wasn’t a damn thing he could do for her or himself for that matter. The real truth had to come to light eventually but did it mean causing her pain as well.

 

He had his own pain. After leaving the Bay he was a broken man but covered it well with a will to make a successful career for himself without Mr. Campbell’s influence. Amy was another way to aggravate his father who was persistently goading him into marrying Sara Brodie – a good business partnership he had proclaimed. But not on his last breath could he ever forgive Sara for what she did much less take her into the bonds of holy matrimony…if the relationship with his father wasn’t terrible enough his actions strained it even further. On her deathbed his mother made them promise to be civil to one another. How much longer could he hold true to that promise?

  

The tears subsided and she regretted appearing so fragile in the presence of man even if it was the man that she adored. Didn’t her mother tell her to never shed tears for any man – shed them for yourself.

 

She approached him warily and asked, “You’re not angry with me?”

 

He spun around. “Angry with you?! I could never be angry with you. I’m angry with myself. You don’t deserve to be hurt again,” he said in a low voice.

 

“Joshua is your son,” she announced quickly.

 

At first he looked at her strangely then it registered. Jonathan sunk down to his knees… his face ashen. Now that the truth was revealed there was no peace only regret.  Celia rushed to his side and embraced him tightly.

 

“Forgive me Celia because I don’t know if I can forgive myself,” he whispered, “Forgive me…” he took in a sharp breath and stared at her.

 

“Jonathan here my words…there is nothing to forgive.”

 

Her sincere words rang true but part of him vacillated…certainly his failure to act against his father had caused his love and his son to suffer greatly. This fact couldn’t be discounted.

 

Seeing his doubt she continued, “Remember I didn’t tell you. Even if you knew our lives wouldn’t have been much better.”

 

“Celia you don’t know that for certain.”

 

“You weren’t Dr. Campbell only a young man trying to find his place in this world.”

“Your father tore us apart. Many nights I wished him dead for taking you away from me and ruining my life. But I’ve put aside those thoughts and concentrated on our son. God has given me my hope.”

 

Jonathan nodded his head but kept his face lowered. Then he felt a hand on his cheek. Slowly he lifted his head noticing her pleasant countenance… “We’re still here.”

 

“I love you.”

 

Parted lips melded into a lingering kiss that freed pent up desires. Where they were was inconsequential. For now this time belonged to the two of them and the love that could never die.

Hmmm…just a moment longer…a little time more for tongues to become familiar once again and arms to encircle.

Letting go they listened to the sound of their harsh breathing.

 

“Shhh…,” he placed an index finger on her lips. Celia closed her eyes understanding his purpose. “You don’t need to promise me anything. Your life and happiness is your own.”

 

“My life revolves around Joshua. It isn’t my own anymore.”

 

He drew her closer and said, “I can take care of you and our son. You don’t have to work ever again.”

 

“I don’t know,” she said withdrawing. They  both stood.

 

“Why can’t you accept my offer?”

 

“Because that would draw suspicion...”

 

from her husband… “How about working for one of my friends?” Again she shook her head no. Jonathan sighed.

 

“What am I to do? I want to help our son if you’ll let me!”

 

Returning to his arms she kissed him – short, sweet. Her eyes grew dark in the fading light and lovingly he stroked her face. Joseph had what belonged to him – his family.

 

“Does he treat you well?”

 

“My husband does his best to take care of us.”

 

“So there’s nothing that would make you leave him.”

“As if women had that choice….and neither do you for that matter.”

 

“For now…”

 

She guessed what his response meant but never pressed it further instead…

 

“Why are you crying? What did I say?”

 

“I feel…just that…it’s so unfair!”

 

“I know my love.”

 

He kissed her forehead and kept her in his arms until it was time to leave.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Mr. and Mrs. Edwards were gracious hosts greeting guests at the front door before they were ushered to the drawing room by the butler.

 

“Ah Mrs. Campbell. I must say that you are looking absolutely wonderful this evening.”

 

Amy blushed and said, “One needs to look their best at this most excellent affair.”

 

She wore an off the shoulder pink satin evening dress trimmed with ribbon bows. A tasseled white handbag matched her satin gloves. Beatrice had already taken her position amongst the other servants.

 

“And where is Dr. Campbell this fine evening?” Mrs. Edwards enquired.

 

“He’s at home resting. My husband is a very dedicated man,” Amy gleamed.

 

“That he is. On your return home give him our regards,” Mr. Edwards chimed.

 

“I will be sure to do so.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

Lighted candle chandeliers and bouquets of spring flowers decorated the main rooms. The most influential persons from business to politics were in attendance and everyone sparkled in their best evening attire.

 

More than eighteen guests were invited and they crowded the drawing room. Amy happened upon Clara; caught sight of Addison and Thomas lurking by the piano and locked venomous stares with the witch Sara.

 

“Unbelievable that she would dare to challenge me,” Sara rasped.

 

Her friend Margaret smiled. “Tonight is a perfect opportunity for the two of you to have a chat.” Sara agreed and sipped her wine.

  

“Why did the Edwards invite certain vagrants,” Amy whispered.

 

“Oh you mean Sara.”

 

“She has this strange notion that I stole Jonathan away from her.”

 

“Sara has always had strange beliefs. Ah there he goes again!” Clara whispered harshly.

  

“Do you think I have a chance with Clara,” a love-lorn Thomas asked. Clara was rebuffing his glances all evening.

 

“Do you want me to be completely honest?”

 

“Yes Addison. I do value your judgment.”

 

“Find another heart because she doesn’t love you.”

 

“And what if I’m unable to,” he said in a low voice.

 

“Then I wish you well my friend.”

 

The dinner bell sounded.

 <<<<<<<<< 

On the drive home there were no outward displays of affections; no utterances or whispers of deep emotion. Celia was doubtful that things could remain at arms-length between them but they had to try.

 

“Leave me here. I’ll walk the rest of the way.”

 

Jonathan didn’t protest but helped her down from the carriage.

 

“When can I see our son?”

 

“Maybe tomorrow but I’m not sure. Trust me I won’t keep you from your son.”

 

“Trust won’t be an issue between us.”

 

What does he mean? “I’ll be coming in tomorrow.”

 

“You don’t need to.”

 

“I insist and this time you can’t…” His eyes expressed silent words. “change my mind…”

 

He grasped her right palm and kissed it gently. “Please think about my offer. Until tomorrow…”

 

“Until tomorrow...”

 <<<<<<<<<  

Dinner was a magnificent affair consisting of soups, fresh breads, baked fish, roasted beef, pork or chicken, vegetables and desserts all accompanied with the finest French wines. The Edwards were also effective in keeping particular guests away from each other at the dining room table. Beatrice assisted her mistress throughout the meal.

 

Soon the guest proceeded in their own directions – some ladies went to the drawing room, the men joined Mr. Edwards in the study, while others roamed the huge garden. They had some time to mingle before the evening’s entertainment would begin.

 

Sara spied Amy and Clara wandering the garden and decided to track their movements.

 

“This is an amazing party and the night is still young.”

 

“The Edwards have outdone themselves.”

 

“I’m going inside to speak with John (her choice among the suitors). Are you coming along?”

 

“No but please tell my maid Beatrice to come outside.”

 

“I will.”

  

Amy alone…now was the perfect time. Conveniently Sara bumped into her and didn’t acknowledge the offense.

 

“I beg your pardon Sara Brodie,” Amy steamed.

 

“Was the troll referring to me?” Sara and Margaret shared a giggle.

 

“Shows your dimwittedness…”

 

“Humph…a pity that Jonathan wishes to remain at home…cuddling his books.”

 

Amy was quick to retaliate. “Did you lose your husband along the way? Forgive me Gregory pales in comparison to my Jonathan.”

 

“I remember losing my true husband some time ago to a slender vixen.”

 

“Unhealthy to have regrets over things that were never yours in the first place.”

 

“She considers her husband a thing,” Margaret offered.

 

“What business is it of yours?” She addressed her new opponent.

 

“Outsiders stealing our few good men is my business.”

 

“The women of the Bay seem unable to hold on to them.”

 

“Jonathan was mine!”

 

Amy laughed. “Wishing for things and those things actually coming to past is a waste of energy. See how you disgrace yourself.”

 

“I don’t care! It would be better to snip off one of those pretty curls of yours.”

 

“I dare you to try wench!”

 

Sara smacked her hard and Amy retaliated by lounging at her. They both fell hard to the ground scratching and clawing at each other with enough insults thrown in between. Margaret was unimpressed with her friend’s efforts and looked rather bored.

 

The commotion was getting quite loud and Mrs. Edwards hearing of the vexing occurrence ran out to put an end to the dispute

 

“Both of you should be very ashamed of this unladylike behavior.”


“Sara is the one who started it all!” Amy cried.

 

“It doesn’t matter. You’ll share the blame equally.”

“Jennings, escort them off my property immediately! Don’t be expecting another invitation anytime soon if ever!”

 

Mrs. Edwards gathered her bearings and returned to her guests. It was time for the real entertainment to begin.

 

<<<<<<<<<  

No words of greeting Celia headed to her room and pulled the curtain.

 

“Something wrong with my child. Lydia hold Joshua.”

 

Abigail found her curled up in bed hugging the pillow.

 

“Celia what wrong?”

 

“Nothing mama…”

 

“You can tell me anything.” She sat beside her and Celia turned into her arms for comfort.

 

“Mama I need to beg forgiveness but I don’t regret being with him,” she said quietly. “You told me not to cry for any man but I cried for him.”

 

“You were with Jonathan?” …concern in her voice.

 

“Kissing, holding each other…” He couldn’t believe her ears but this wasn’t the moment for a stern lecture. “He knows that Joshua is his son.”

 

“Hiyah aye Lord help us!”

 

“Celia I told you this would happen!”

 

“Lydia I told you to watch Joshua not listen in on we conversation. Give Celia the baby.” Lydia hesitated. “I say give her the child now and don’t say another word.”

 

“What ah do now?” she asked caressing Joshua who was half asleep.

 

“It all up to you. We could offer advice but it up to you.”

  

“I can take care of you and our son. You don’t have to work ever again.”

There wasn’t anything wrong with Jonathan’s proposal. Instead of dismissing it she should have been accepting it…gladly. Why did I say no?   

<<<<<<<<<  

Returning home Jonathan refused his dinner and retired to bed. His head ached and it wasn’t because of any drug inducement – every other thought was of Celia and their son. Didn’t she want her life to be easier? Why was she so quick to refuse his offer?

 

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!

 

Third time in his life that he felt he was unable to change the outcome of things. At least he was getting rid of one complication…that manipulative wife of his but a knock at his door would say otherwise.     

Chapter 9 by chocolate470

“Go away I don’t want to be disturbed! Please leave me alone!”

 

“Dr. Campbell it’s me Beatrice.”

 

Quickly he arose and opened the bedroom door. “Ms. Beatrice, what are you doing home so early?” Noticing her anguish expression he asked “What’s wrong?”

 

“Forgive me for disturbing your rest but Mrs. Campbell is asking for you.”

 

“Why?”

 

“There was an unfortunate incident at the dinner party and she was slightly hurt.”

 

“Where is she?”

 

“In her bedroom…stretched out on the bed. It was so awful what occurred. Mrs. Edwards had both she and Mrs. Lewis removed from her property.”

 

“So an altercation occurred?”

 

“Yes it happened while they were in the garden.”

 

Beatrice’s words certainly concerned him and a horrible sight greeted him upon his entrance – Amy lying on her stomach half clothed, bruises covered her arms and legs. He imagined her dress had to be in tatters.

 

“Jonathan, are you there?”

 

“Yes what happened?”

 

“Sara Lewis nee Brodie and her friend Margaret did this to me.” The sound of Sara’s name made his blood boil.

 

“Ms. Beatrice, please bring the candle closer.”

 

Indeed it was terrible – a huge bruise stretched across the right side of her back

 

“Ms. Beatrice, tell Mrs. Annabelle to heat some water quickly and then tell Amos to bring up a half bucket of cold and a bucket of hot water.” Beatrice nodded and left.

  

“What are you going to do?”

 

“Give you a warm bath and afterwards apply ointment to the various contusions.”

 

“One of those darkies’ home remedies.”

 

He glared at her and sternly admonished, “While you’re in my presence don’t ever refer to another human being by that reference.”

 

“Forgive me Jonathan, please don’t send me away. From this day forth I promise to be a good wife to you.”

 

A little too late for such a promise to be made dear wife…“Let’s not speak of such things now.”

 

Carefully turning her unto her back he examined the whole of her frame and found other bruising but not as critical as the one on her side.

 

Within ten minutes Amos had brought the two buckets of water and was pouring it in her bathtub. Beatrice helped prepare Amy in between her shouts of anguish.

 

“Ohhh…ow…ow…ow,” she cried as Jonathan carried her to the tub and eased her down gently.

 

“Ms. Beatrice I want you to pour the warm water over her until its cold.”

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Going downstairs to my office to find the ointment... I’ll be back shortly.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

Jogging down the stairs he thought could this night get any worst but then again things can always get worst and he didn’t want to have that experience. A turn of the key and his office door was opened and then he opened another door that led to his personal lab where all his medicinal were kept. Celia never ventured passed this room.

 

“Where is it? Where is it?”

 

Found the ointment and also a bottle of laudanum…if she experienced greater pain that evening he would need to use it sparingly.

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Don’t look at me that way.”

 

“In what way ma’am?” Beatrice was much too busy pouring the warm water over her bruises.

 

“You’re thinking that I did this purposefully but believe me I didn’t.”

 

Beatrice hardly paid attention instead she continued her task.

 

“Mrs. Edwards treated me in such a deplorable manner! Effectively barring me from society. I’m ruined and only Jonathan can rescue me but I fear that he’s still cross with me. Beatrice what am I going to do?”

 

“I don’t know ma’am,” she responded nonchalant.

 

“Go and fetch me my robe because you are being quite useless.”

  

Soon Jonathan returned.

 

“Jonathan, Beatrice is not doing it correctly,” she complained.

 

“Aren’t you pouring the water as I told you?”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell.”

 

“Then she is doing it properly. I will hear no more complaints do you understand.”

 

“Yes Jonathan. It still hurts.”

 

“I believe you’re finished here.” He lifted her up and Beatrice helped her into her robe. “Beatrice will dry you off.”

 

“It will be better if you do it.”

 

“Beatrice will do it and that’s final.”

 

“Do you believe that I brought this upon myself Jonathan?”

 

“Did you?”

 

“No! I was only defending myself against her outrageous claims and then she slapped me! Mrs. Edwards didn’t even listen to my explanation. Why doesn’t anyone believe me?” she asked tearfully.

 

“There…there…come now…I believe you.”

 

Whatever he felt about her Amy needed his care and attention.

  

“What’s that foul smell?”

 

“The ointment my dear...”

 

“You are not going to place that disgusting substance on me.”

 

“Aren’t you in a great deal of pain? Do you want your contusions to get red and filled with all manner of bacterium?”

 

She didn’t comprehend his meaning but it sounded serious enough. “Well…no…”

 

“Then you must allow me to do this.”

 

“Alright but do it quickly.”

 

Amy’s constant complaints were giving Jonathan a massive headache and he felt some sympathy for Beatrice and all she had to endure. A small dose of laudanum and Amy was finally asleep. She was left in Beatrice’s care for the remainder of the evening.

 <<<<<<<<<  

The next morning… 

Everyone was extra quiet in the house including the children who sat staring at her as if instructed only Joshua’s playful mutterings could be heard. Suddenly Abigail hinted to Lydia that she should take the children outside.

 

“Celia…”

 

She sighed, “Jonathan asked me and I told him the truth. What else could I do mama?”

 

“But how and why did it come up?”

 

“It just came up!” she yelled and immediately regretted her tone, “Sorry didn’t mean to shout.”

 

“You know you have a situation on your hands with these men.”

 

“Didn’t I tell you that I couldn’t marry Joseph because Jonathan still in me heart. And what did you say mama?”

 

“Jonathan white and he’ll forget bout a black girl and their bastard child,” she responded quietly.

 

“So you see mama you were wrong…we both were wrong…he hasn’t forgotten bout me. Now he know we have a son together. I’m hurting mama.”

 

“But you two still married.”

 

“I know that.”

 

“He might want to take Joshua away.”

 

“He won’t unless I let him"

 

“Would you?”

 

“What will be will be. I need to catch up with Sonia.”

 <<<<<<<<  

“Gial I think you off till Friday.”

 

“I think I need to work to clear me head.”

 

“Me understand. Better than staying at home with noise all around with those children. Hope they remember me in my old age and all me sacrifices.” She expected a comment from Celia but she didn’t respond. “Celia…Celia…”

 

“Huh…”

 

“Guess it one of those days with you. Got much on your mind?”

 

“Much but I can’t talk bout it now.”

 

“Whenever you need to talk I’m right here.”

You might be my friend Sonia but I could never speak to you about this situation. 

<<<<<<<<<  

There was never a dull moment at Dr. Campbell’s residence. A sign by the gate read that the doctor wouldn’t be seeing patients for the remainder of the week.

 

Upon entering the kitchen they observed Annabelle and Beatrice whispering amongst themselves.

 

“Dr. Campbell is being quite attentive.”

 

“Hmmm…I’m sure he is.”

 

“The tea isn’t too hot is it?”

 

“It’s prepared to Mrs. Campbell’s exact specifications.”

 

“Ms. Amy strikes again,” Sonia whispered to a stoic Celia.

 

“Amos will return for my breakfast.” was Beatrice’s last utterance.

  

“Tell us what happened Ms. Annabelle.”

 

“Good morning to you too Sonia…”

 

“Good Morning Ms. Annabelle,” they both recited.

 

“Since I’m not one for gossip…”

 

“Something must have happened. Come on Ms. Annabelle it will come out eventually.”

 

“Well it won’t come from my lips. There is no time for idle gossip. Breakfast needs to be prepared.”

 

Sonia muttered as she glanced at Celia who in turn shrugged before going over to her housemaid’s closet.

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Drink…”

 

“I don’t know Jonathan.”

 

“Amy, just take a sip for me please.” Jonathan had already concluded that there was no swelling around her jaw maybe she had lost some of her appetite.

 

She sipped carefully and he allowed her to take sips until the tea was finished. Tedious work but he viewed her as his patient…a very annoying one at best.

 

“I need to see after your breakfast. I’ll ask Mrs. Annabelle to prepare you some porridge.” Amy almost protested but didn’t.

  

“Ms. Amy you are looking well today,” Beatrice noted.

 

“Too bad for me… Go on get my hairbrush and stop dilly dallying.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

As he entered the hallway he stumbled into Celia sweeping the hallway.

 

“Good morning Ms. Celia…,” he said cheerful but his face looked strained.

 

“Good morning Dr. Campbell…you appear tired.”

 

“I feel worst.”

 

“What happened last night?”

 

“Let’s not speak in the open.”

  

He escorted her to the parlor where they hugged each other warmly.

 

“I gather that something must have happened to Amy by the small conversation between Mrs. Annabelle and Ms. Beatrice,” she said as they strolled to the settee and settled down, “but otherwise they gave away nothing.”

 

“Whilst at the dinner party my wife and Sara got into a heated disagreement and Amy was badly bruised.”

 

“Sara? Let me take a stab at what this fight was about…you.”

 

“I have a mind to confront Sara about this.”

 

Surprising that he thought so highly of his wife’s reputation... “Don’t or it may escalate further,” she replied quietly.

 

“I’m not afraid of her.”

 

“She is a cunning woman who probably wants to draw you into this messy situation.”

 

“You believe that Sara started an argument with my wife for another purpose.”

 

“Indeed but the motive may be two-fold.”

 

He understood perfectly. “One to get at my wife and the other to get back at me through her. Ms. Beatrice did inform me that they were both disgraced but given Mr. Brodie’s influence soon she’ll return to the societal scene with barely a whisper of her unladylike behavior.”

 

“Exactly.” She grew tired of conversing about the other women that surrounded his life. “May I leave now?”

 

Sensing her displeasure he quickly asked, “After our last encounter how are you doing?  Forgive me for not asking earlier.”

 

“Confused…very confused,” she responded sheepishly, “And you?”

 

“Learning that I truly have a son creates a new chapter in my life.”

 

“For all of us. Did you tell your wife?”

 

“Heavens no! This situation is not her concern. It will never be her concern.” He caressed her cheek. “I don’t know how much longer I can go on like this but I’ll do anything…for your sake.”

 

He rose and left her with the sensation of his warm imprint on her skin. Sacrifice was the name of the game at least on her part – difficult to have all of this emotion deep inside of you and not being able to express it fully. How much longer could she go on?

 <<<<<<<<<  

But the day dragged on with them barely seeing or speaking with one another because of the need to attend to his wife’s care. Amy’s most pressing complaint was the pain which seem to come in spurts and then eased off once he administered the laudanum. But he became wary of constantly employing its use because of the dangerous side effects. When evening came he seemed to have found a natural solution and was in his lab brewing another batch.

 

Celia knocked and knocked but there was no response. Henderson did tell her that Jonathan was in his office. Must have slip away for a breather she thought.

 

“Whomever it is please come in!”

 

“What were you doing?”

 

“Trying to make a pain medicine for Amy using the mimosa plant or as the local call it sleeping grass...”

 

“If this is successful I hope you give it to your other patients although I don’t know how they will react to the taste.”

 

“Adding a quantified amount of alcohol seems to do the trick. Humph you’re right I should try giving it to my other patients. Thanks for the great advice,” he said returning to his lab.

 

“Ahem!”

 

“What is it?” Then he noticed her standing with a tray.

 

“I want you to stop doing everything… now.”

 

“Celia…”


“Mrs. Annabelle has complained that you’ve been neglecting to eat from yesterday evening. Although a bit late she believes I have a greater chance of convincing you to take a meal.”

 

“I’m in the process of doing something very important.”

 

“Don’t use that as an excuse. Soon you’ll be in need of our care instead of the other way around. I don’t want to be bothering about your health.”

 

“That wouldn’t be so bad if I think about it some more,” he smiled.

 

“Jonathan,” she said exasperated, “Mrs. Annabelle has prepared you a nice steak dinner with mash potatoes and green peas. I also brought you a glass of red wine.”

 

“Alright…fine… place it on the desk and I’ll eat it.”

 

“Not until you sit down first. Go ahead take a seat.”

 

Jonathan smiled at her insistence and did as instructed. “May I say thank you for thinking of me.”

 

“You’re quite welcome. I’ll leave you now...my mission has been accomplished.”

 

“No stay for I prefer your company above all others.”

 

“I must go. I can’t stay,” she whispered.

 

“Like it or not Celia we are in the midst of an amorous relationship.”

 

That dreaded word…amorous. “Do you have to say it so plainly?”

 

“How else might I say it? How else might it be classified? Your heart lies with me and no other man except our son.”

 

“But I must stay loyal to my husband. Joseph was there…”

 

“When I wasn’t.”

She sat across from him and stared. For the first time he saw the anguish in her eyes. His selfish desires didn’t compare to the pain that she was enduring. Don’t burden her any further.    

“Eat your dinner before it gets cold.”

 

“This meal is particularly good this evening. I must congratulate Mrs. Annabelle and Ms. Sonia on a superb job.”

 

“They always think well of you.”

 

“And I feel the same about them.”

 

“If it pleases you I’ll bring Joshua by tomorrow to see you for a short time… say mid-morning.”

 

An unexpected surprise and he paused in mid-chew. “It definitely pleases me very much,” he said with an elated heart. “I’ll be in my study waiting."

 

A knock at the door…Henderson explaining that Ms. Sonia was wondering about Ms. Celia’s whereabouts...

 

“She’ll be out very shortly.”

 

“Good night Jonathan.”

 

“Good night Celia,” he said rising. Sweet dreams my heart.

 <<<<<<<<<  

The next day… 

Through much debating it was decided that Lydia would take Joshua over to the residence…much debating.

 

“Why do this?”

 

“Because I won’t keep Joshua away from him.”

 

“You opened a lion’s den.”

 

“It was opened a longtime ago.”

 

“Since you married Joseph you treat that man very, very bad. Always thinking bout that white man who you can never be it.”

 

“You don’t know what you talking bout.”

 

“So now he want be with you?”

 

“No I just saying that. So are you going to bring him or not?”

 

“I will for your peace of mind.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Joseph is a good man and any woman would want a good man like him.”

 

“Lydia I want to ask you a question.”

 

“No Celia that my business not yours,” she scowled and walked off.

When Joseph returned they needed to have good talk about many things. 

<<<<<<<<<  

Jonathan was anticipating his son’s visit with much trepidation. His wife was taken care of. Along with her two servants Amy was sent off to ‘special therapy’ – she was behaving quite obediently and didn’t ask why he wasn’t coming but appreciated him doing his best to make her whole again.

 

He sat at his desk then stood by the window thought better of it and repeated the process two more times. Choosing to stand he began folding and unfolding his arms, stroking the back of his neck and peaking at the clock. Didn’t she saw mid-morning?

 

She gave a slight knock at the door and found that it was already opened – Jonathan standing his left hand pressed against his lips. The look in his eyes told her the significance of this moment.

 

Joshua’s small murmurings and Celia speaking to him yet his feet remained glued to the floor. Courage…the beating of his heart echoed through his ears…you’re a father now.

 

“Jonathan…”

 

“Yes…yes…”

 

“Seemed like you were far away,” she said as they approached.

 

“Lost in my own thoughts as usual,” he shrugged nervously, “Are you sure he won’t cry if I hold him?”

 

“He’s quite personable. Joshua I want you to meet this nice man.”

 

“Ma…ma…ma…”

 

“His name is Dr. Jonathan Campbell….your father. You’re a lucky little boy because you have two fathers.”

 

“Joshua…,” he whispered as he took him into his arms.

 

A reflection of himself especially in those curious eyes as if he were saying…Very pleased to meet you Dr. Campbell.

 

“We created a handsome little boy,” he said through tears. He kissed his forehead and held him tightly. “I love you very much and I’ll do my best to take great care of you.”

 

Celia shed her own tears and decided to sit down and observed their interaction…quite confident that she had made the right choice.

 

When he was awake Joshua was an active two year old. He was already scrambling to the floor wanting to explore the room.

 

“Joshua,” Celia scolded.

 

“Leave him be…I don’t mind. Hahaha…look at him…look at my little boy.”

 

Jonathan was able to lure him back with some chocolate drops which he enjoyed very much. Soon father and son became quite comfortable with each other – running around the room playing a small game of tag intermittently he would run into his mother’s lap squealing with joy. He became attentive when Jonathan showed some colorful pictures in one of his geography books.

 

“Jonathan…”

 

“Just a little while longer,” he pleaded without looking her direction.

 

“My sister is waiting in the hallway to take him home. I cannot keep her.”

 

He sighed, “Alright. I brought some things for him. I didn’t know what to give him.” He handed her a box containing some clothes, shoes, books and of course candy.

 

“Thank you very much. We appreciate it very much.”

 

“Bring him again soon.”

 

“Of course I will. Say goodbye Joshua.”

 

“Bye…bye…”

 He kissed him goodbye and stroked his hair. There will come a time when I can’t and won’t let the both of you go. 

<<<<<<<<<  

“A box for Joshua...”

 

“And he will give his son other things.”

 

“Poor Joseph. So Jonathan got what he wanted but he’ll want more.”

 

“I can’t do nothing bout that.”

 

“Of course you can if you think bout it Celia.”

 

“You would know what I can and cannot do Lydia.”

 

A rift was developing between the two sisters that will only become greater as the weeks progressed.

 <<<<<<<<<  

It was one of the best experiences but he couldn’t linger in the study he chose to take a brisk walk in the garden for a moment to mull things over. What could be done about Celia and Joshua? Should he press her to accept his offer? There were still things in his life that needed to be dealt with first.

 

Henderson waited for his return.

 

“Addison Clark and Benjamin Jeffords are here to see you sir.”

 

“Aye Addison and Ben...”

 

A warm greeting was shared among the friends in the drawing room. As usual Addison lighted his cigar whilst Ben preferred his pipe.

 

“Have a drink.”

 

“We only came to see our friend and hear news of your wife’s condition,” Ben explained.

 

“Amy is covered in bruises.”

 

“Because Sara gave her a thorough trouncing,” Addison added.

 

“Damnit I missed out!” Ben exclaimed, “I mean to ask about Amy’s recovery.”

 

Jonathan laughed, “Recovering in typical Amy fashion. I’ve sent her off to one of my physician friends for ‘special therapy’.”

 

“Hmmm…good of you to think of your wife given that you are considering pushing her aside. If you’ll ask me I could embark on a seduction.”

 

“What are you saying Addison.”

 

“Brilliant! He wants to seduce your wife so that you can be rid of her permanently.”

 

“It’s not necessary. Why would I put a friend of mine through all that aggravation?”

 

“Particularly hard to obtain a divorce unless it is proven that the wife is having an affair,” Addison offered.

 

“Aye but once that affair is proven I may obtain the property of her lover and have him destitute.”

 

“You wouldn’t do that to your good old friend.”

 

“Don’t tempt me,” Jonathan laughed, “Besides I don’t think I’ll ever marry again.”

 

“Giving up so soon. There is always someone for everyone. Come on Ben let’s go.”

 

“You’re leaving so soon. You’ve only just arrived.”

 

“Off to the tracks you can come if you’d like.”

 

“No I’m alright.”

 

“You can go on ahead Addison. I’ll meet you there.”

 

“Alright but don’t take too long. I’ll take my leave and see you later.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

“What is it now Ben? More news of my father’s impending visit…”

 

“We observed a child just now and he bore an uncanny resemblance…but maybe I’m mistaken.”

 

Good old Ben…“His name is Joshua and yes he is my son. His mother is somewhere about…”

 

“Surely you jest!” Ben yelled shocked, “Does Amy know of this?!”

 

“Of course not! Why should she? In fact why would I tell her?”

 

“You and Drake have kept many things hidden away,” he said taking a seat, “Two of us have fallen to the charms of a dark angel.”

 

“His mother is a servant of yours?”

 

“So many questions Ben. Sometimes we need to cover our secrets from prying eyes.”

 

“So far you’ve covered it well my friend but it seems that you are aiming for more.”

 

“Much…much more...”

Chapter 10 by chocolate470

Ben took a long draw from his pipe then stood momentarily admiring the smoke passing through his lips. The chair by the center table looked comfortable. It appeared that Jonathan’s predicament was mirroring Drake’s although different in two aspects – Jonathan was already married with an illegitimate son to boot.

 

“I think I’ll have that drink now,” he requested crossing his leg and setting his pipe aside. Jonathan poured him a small glass of whiskey. “You don’t have to tell me anymore if you don’t want to.”

 

“Ben it’s not that awful of a secret,” he paused, “Maybe if my marriage was worth saving…”

 

“Might I add that Amy’s social calendar has been cleared for the rest of the year due to her foolish behavior.”

 

“Might I add that I don’t give a damn. If she weren’t ill I would have already removed her from my residence.”

 

“Clear the way I suppose. And what of her? Does she have a dilemma…say a husband?”

 

Ben was probing him. “My father made it impossible for her to live. Her husband is a mere stand-in during my absence,” he responded dismissive.

 

Ben swirled the glass’ contents before taking a swig. “Ah very good whiskey I should buy a bottle on my way home this evening. Tell me where was it purchased? I hope not at Fisher’s…”

 

Jonathan immediately halted Ben’s conversational change. “Damnit Ben! I’m not being overconfident!” A rigid index finger pointed in Ben’s direction and his eyes widened.

 

“Did you hear me mention anything about you being overconfident? Did you?”

 

“Well no… but you certainly implied it.”

 

“Implied it. How was your overconfidence implied?”

 

Ben eyed him curiously then thin lips spread into a wry smile which became a full fledged roar of laughter. “My good friend…Jonathan… where is your sense of humor.”

 

Jonathan snickered and joined in the laughter saying, “You’re such a bastard. What a way to ease the tension.”

 

“Or to add to it I suppose. That was a good laugh.”

 

Then suddenly Ben became quiet, reflective. Jonathan presumed that he wasn’t the only person carrying around life’s complications. Other than his comedic play Ben hardly spoke about his personal issues.  

 

“I shouldn’t suppose that you have a love interest. Maybe you’re like our friend Addison strolling through the beautiful gardens of the Bay.”

 

Ben’s countenance took on a serious appearance and he said simply, “Ana,” before downing the remainder of his whiskey and cradling the glass in his palm.

 

“Clara’s sister. My good friend congratulations she is a fine woman,” he said drawing up a seat beside him. Ben in love what a wonderful thought but…

 

“My life is filled with too many distractions.”

 

“Meaning you’re not good enough to be in her life.”

 

“She’s offered me so much and yet…Jonathan I want to change but I don’t know how,” he sighed, “I’m going to be an inadequate husband.”

 

Ben had always lived his life without fearing the consequences. “First step is to acknowledge that you need to make a change.”

 

“And I have so what’s the next step?” he asked warily.

 

Jonathan replied, “Don’t go to the tracks…pay Ana a visit which will make her very happy. I’m sure Addison will understand your absence.”

 

Jonathan was always the friend to go to when one needed words of advice. “Thank you Jonathan,” he said grabbing his hand firmly, “unfortunately I wasn’t of much help to your situation.”

 

“You have been. Remember you advised me to tread lightly.”

 

“Oh,” his eyes widened with realization. 

 

“So you see I am being patient,” he smiled, “Things will work out for the best for all of us.”

 

Ben stood, retrieving his pipe. “Jonathan I do wish you best but don’t underestimate your wife.”

 

“I never will again,” he muttered.

  

Jonathan walked him to his carriage but before leaving Ben needed the answer to a question that had been on his mind ever since Jonathan uttered those words.

 

“May I ask what is ‘special therapy’?”

 

“I’m not quite sure but my friend Dr. Myers provides it…or so he says. You should try it some time.”

 

Ben chuckled, “Good day Jonathan.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

Approaching the verandah he found Celia vigorously sweeping. She quickly stopped when their eyes made contact.

 

“You were nervous to see your son.”

 

“Very much…what would I have done if he had screamed?

 

“Yell for his mother,” she smiled, “As time passes he will grow very fond of you.”

 

“He’s already filled my heart as has his mother…I would enjoy spending more time with him.”

 

A brief interlude until they heard a carriage pull up – Amy was home.

 

“Jonathan!” she yelled as Amos assisted her. “Dr. Myers is such a wonderful doctor!”

 

“I guess that his therapy has helped you immensely,” he replied, turning in her direction.

 

“It certainly has.”

 

She climbed the stairs and grasped his hand. She noticed something odd. “What is she doing?”

 

Celia had forgotten to turn away. “Forgive me ma’am,” and then turned.

 

“Amy let’s go inside,” he growled, “You shouldn’t be concerning yourself with such trivial matters.”

 

“Alright,” but she gave Celia a cautious star.

 

Celia suspected that little by little Amy was beginning to piece together their brief encounters. Given Amy’s volatile behavior it was best for them to keep away from each other for the time being.

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Jonathan, why are you always speaking with that maid?” she questioned as they paused at the foot of the stairs.

 

“Amy, don’t ask foolish questions,” his brow furrowed, “Now go upstairs and prepare for lunch.”

What gave her the right to question what he did or didn’t do? 

<<<<<<<<<<  

But Celia viewed the situation differently Amy was still his wife. During the remainder of the evening she did her best to avoid any one and one meetings with him. Of course he would see her when it was time to leave – that couldn’t be avoided.

 

“Why have you been trying to avoid me?”  

 

“Because Amy is your wife and I respect her status in this house,” she responded coolly.

 

“Even if I don’t hold her to the same regard…”

 

He entwined his right fingers with her left, squeezing them tightly together. She closed her eyes enjoying the close contact.

 

Opening her eyes she said, “That may be true but she is still your wife. I know that she is becoming suspicious of our encounters.”

 

“What does that matter?” He turned, staring deeply. Hands encircled her waist. “The only thing that matters is the way we feel about each other.”

 

His low voice, the warm tingling from his touch, Celia was lost.

 

“Have you been considering my offer?”

 

“Huh?”

 

Sonia’s heavy footsteps drew closer and they promptly let go.

 

Jonathan’s normal tone returned. “Ms. Celia, Ms. Sonia, have a very good evening,” he nodded.

 

“Have a good evening Dr. Campbell.”  

 

Indeed she had heard the question and the offer was being considered but once Joseph was still at sea no decisions could be made or so she thought.

 <<<<<<<<  

Saturday was dedicated to washing Jonathan’s and the servants’ daywear – coats, jackets and Ms. Amy’s multitude of dresses were taken to the Bay’s laundry.

 

The washhouse was a one-room building located a short distance from the servants’ quarters. It stock piled buckets, tubs, wash boards, wicker baskets, three chairs, two stools, a storage closet, a stove, two long tables, and extra lines for those wet days. Celia and Sonia took turns around the two huge washtubs – one for washing and the other for rinsing.

 

“Of all these men my Amos works the hardest,” Sonia noted, wiping the sweat from her brow. She was busily washing the shirts.

 

“Your Amos,” Celia snorted, “Lawrence takes care of the horses and carriages.”

 

She grinned. “But Ms. Amy is triple the annoyance.” Celia nodded in agreement.

 

By lunchtime all the clothes hung freely at the rear of the property from one end to the other. After lunch a short break to complete some light housework and then it was time to do the ironing. Four hands were definitely better than two and by five o’clock clothes were pressed and placed on the servants bed while Celia put away Jonathan’s attire.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Sonia stood anxiously waiting outside the study – Jonathan had decided to send them home early. Sonia was first to go in while Celia stood by.

 

He counted out each shilling on the desk in front of her. She marveled as the amount grew higher.

 

“15 shillings? Dr. Campbell I’m not sure this is correct?” Sonia asked fearful.

 

“Then tell me what should be your weekly wages.”

 

She couldn’t think but stammered, “I’m…I’m…I don’t know”

 

During her last employment her highest wage was 6 shillings calculated on her bi-weekly sum of 12 shillings. Dr. Campbell was being awfully generous.

 

“It’s not that I’m not happy about the sum but has taking care of Ms. Amy made your mind distracted. Don’t suppose that you have a fever?”

 

Jonathan grinned at Sonia’s conjectures. “No and no… Believe me I’m perfectly fine.”

 

Now it was time for her to express her gratitude. “Well then thank you very much! I thank you and my children thank you as well! Whatever you need Dr. Campbell just say the word!”

 

“Hahaha…thank you too for your good work. Please inform Celia that she may come in for her salary.”

 

“Yes sir…again thank you…thank you.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

His eyes lingered as she entered the room quietly closing the door behind her. Why couldn’t she be coming to tell him that dinner was ready – she and Mrs. Annabelle had been working tirelessly to prepare the perfect meal for the both of them instead of coming for her salary…Maybe someday…  

“You have made Sonia a very happy woman.”

 

“Well I hope I can do the same for you. By the way I’ve already sent over provisions to your residence.”

 

He had done what…Her horrified stare made a muscle in his jaw twitch. “Jonathan you shouldn’t have done that!”

 

It wasn’t the response he was expecting. “Why not? Think of it as a contribution to the upkeep of the household where my son dwells.”

 

“But I’m the one that has to return to that same household to explain these contributions,” she frowned.

 

His tone became serious. “When it comes to the welfare of my son and his mother I will do whatever is necessary.” She averted her eyes and gazed at the floor. “Do you want your salary or not?”

 

“Do with it as you deem necessary!” she yelled before quickly exiting.

 

“Love you too!”

 

He drummed his fingers steadily on the desk then scratched his chin. Celia was upset but she shouldn’t have expected him to just wait around and do nothing for their family. Maybe her situation at home had become unbearable but he wasn’t certain. If he ran anymore queries she would probably slap him- hard. Subconsciously he touched his cheek.

 <<<<<<<<<  

A frustrated Celia scanned the hallway for Sonia. Where else would she be but striking up polite conversation with Amos. He was leaning against the wall while she tilted her head to one side…smiling.

 

“Couldn’t believe he gave me this amount.”

 

“Dr. Campbell is an extraordinary man.”

 

“Unlike his disdainful wife...”

 

Celia was angry that Jonathan wasn’t seeing her side – things had to be done his way.  It would escalate an already tenuous filled atmosphere at her home.

 

“Sonia, are you coming.”

 

“I’m coming. Looks like Dr. Campbell made somebody unhappy.”

 

“No the washing took a lot out of me. I just want to rest.”

 

“I hear you.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

Evening… 

The sea was dark as the night sky but the harbor lights from the distant American shore could be seen plainly. Few passengers lingered about on the decks. For three harrowing days and nights they had weathered an Atlantic storm forcing the crew to extend their physical limitations. But all crew, passengers and cargo were saved and to celebrate the men would be granted an extra couple hours of shore leave.

 

Everyday that passed Joseph had gained more and more respect from the other men. Captain Cummins helped him a great deal. Even though his main duties were down in the stokehold he had been called up many times to the bridge. One day he saw himself captaining his own ship and crew but it was good to build up that training. Captain Cummins saw something in him and he was beginning to see the same thing – great potential. The sea was going to be his life and career.

 

He stood by himself listening to the sounds of the ocean and the murmurings from those that passed by him. A few times his family at home had entered his mind during these quiet moments.

 

“So you the big man on this ship.” A small voice spoke by his left ear.

 

When he turned her way his eyes came upon a beautiful chambermaid – smooth brown skin, dark eyes and a beautiful smile…not a woman that went unnoticed. Their paths had crossed from time to time with him wondering her name and where she was from.

 

“Who me? Big man? I don’t think so.”

 

“Everyone say you close to the captain. I’ve seen it with my own two eyes,” she said coming to stand by his side.

 

“Good to be close to the captain it makes for an easier journey.” And it still made the other black men a little jealous.

 

He had to admit that her standing so close unnerved him a bit. He was missing the loving of a good woman – a man can only go so long without it.

 

“What’s your name big man?” her voice asked with a hint of seduction.

 

“Joseph…and yours?”

 

“My name is Miriam.”

 

“Nice to meet you too,” he said accepting her handshake. “How long you been on this ship?”

 

“About a year I suppose. I know how to take care of myself been doing it for quite a while. Husband prefer mahogany camp life and I prefer ship life.”

 

So she came from the Bay. At least they seem to share a common bond – unfulfilled marriages.

 

“Don’t like to be left alone do you.”

 

“Not particularly who does. You married?”

 

“Got a wife and son...”

 

“She must hate you being at sea. A lot of things can happen at sea. Good and bad.”

 

“Don’t know really what she feel bout me. Love my son though…miss him,” he blinked.

 

“I guess all of us have a story to tell,” she said staring at him deeply, “I hope to hear yours sometime.”

 

“I want to hear yours as well if you don’t mind sharing.”

 

“Well big man I’ll be waiting. I got to get back.”

 

“Good night Ms. Miriam.”

 

“Good night Big Man.”

 

He couldn’t help but scanned each curve of her body. Her hips swayed from side to side. Hmm Tempting…he wiped his hand across his mouth.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Jonathan’s action seemed to ignite Lydia. If she hadn’t believed that Celia was having an affair with Jonathan well she certainly did now. She ranted against his generosity but still sat down to eat the fare saying that it had been deservedly earned after all their suffering at the hands of his father. Celia and Joshua retreated to her room where some solace was attained.

 

Overnight Lydia had turned into Joseph’s greatest defender and an authority on all Celia’s missteps in her failing marriage. Ms. Abigail tried her best to ease the tension between her daughters but to no avail. She feared for the health of Lydia’s unborn child and Celia’s mental state. All she could do was offer up a prayer that things would eventually get better between the two for their sakes.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Sunday and Celia chose to remain at home but allowed Joshua to go to church with the rest of the family. After church the members would usually gather at the rear of the building to eat and socialize. She didn’t feel much like socializing with anyone or hanging around her sister Lydia.

 

“Celia! Celia!”

 

“Is that you Hortense?” she asked opening the door.

 

“Yes…and I’ve brought you a plate of boil-up and a little someone.”

 

She held Joshua and he placed his head on her shoulder. “Joshua…is he alright?”

 

“Just tired from having a full stomach… I decided to bring him along with me.”

 

Hortense’s visit was a welcomed diversion. Younger by three years she was never one to keep her opinions hidden meaning that she and Lydia never got along very well. She was also different in speech, style and mannerisms but she and Celia got on fine.

 

They strode to the kitchen table and took chairs opposite one another – Joshua resting quietly in her lap. “How has work been?”

 

“Nothing has changed since my last visit. Mr. Tyler is the same old dog as he ever was,” she declared soberly.

 

“But you keep him in line.” Celia uncovered the plate and started eating.

 

“Your sister was becoming a nuisance as she usually is.”

 

“I guess she told you.” Celia still wanted to know everything she said.

 

“Jonathan’s your employer; him learning that Joshua is his son due to your foolishness and his interference in your marriage because you are allowing it. She was bursting to tell me all the scintillating details.” Hortense looked on as Celia chewed slowly. “I told you he wouldn’t forget about you. So what are you going to do?”

 

She put down her fork then rocked Joshua. “According to Lydia I’ve already made my decision.”

 

“You’re tempted. A long lost love returning…Joshua the child born from that love…” Hortense spoke like she was recalling a scene from a romantic novel.

 

“First of all I have a husband and he has a wife…”

 

“But both of you have an unhappy marriage,” she countered stealing a sweet potato from her plate.

 

“Jonathan maybe but I’m not unhappy. Joseph takes care of us.”

 

“How long have you been reciting those words?”

 

Celia sighed heavily – Hortense didn’t comprehend her burden. It may soon turn out to be a Shakespearian tragedy before all was said and done.

 

“When you reach this stage in your life you’ll see how difficult this is for me.”

 

Her brows furrowed, concentrating on a response. “I plan to be with the man I love regardless of race or situation,” she said emphatically.

 

“Then I suggest you move away from this place they don’t look too kindly to an enlightened black woman.” She started to eat again – one shouldn’t pass on such a good meal.

 

“Who cares what they think. If you have an opportunity to grasp happiness then I say do it or you may have regrets for the rest of your days.” Her face relaxed. “My dear sister Jonathan should be your choice.”

 

“Mother should have given birth to four daughters.”

 

“Whatever for?”

 

“Then maybe the other sister could be a neutral party.”

 

“But you are already neutral…neither here nor there sort of in between. Your body is here but your mind is with Jonathan. Tell me is that fair to Joseph.”

 

“You’ve gathered all of that.” Of course she was right in her observation. “I hate myself. Jonathan brought provisions for this house and of course it upset Lydia. He upset me so much that I didn’t collect my salary nor did I go to the wharf to collect Joseph’s salary.”

 

“Celia you’ve worked for that salary and earned every penny,” slowly her eyes shifted, “I could understand you not collecting Joseph’s salary. It’s more complicated than I first realize – you’re dealing with a guilty conscience. I believe Jonathan is as well.”

 

“Then am I in love with the wrong man?”

 

“What does your heart say?”

 

“No but it doesn’t make the decision any easier. But I’m glad that you’re here.”

  <<<<<<<<<  

The Campbell’s small garden was filled with seasonal flowers. Twice a week it was pruned by the neighborhood gardener. It was the perfect setting for afternoon tea. Clara her one true friend came for a visit and Amy seemed to be well enough to entertain.

 

“Clara it is so nice of you to come and visit,” she smiled pouring her a cup of tea and offering her a scone which she accepted.

 

“I wanted to see how you were after that ghastly incident. I’ve only managed to get some time away.”

 

“Really…what have you been doing?”

 

“Saying farewell to my beloved,” she replied sadly, “He’s going away for a week to attend to some business. I’m going to miss him terribly.”

 

“Humph…forgive me for not been able to offer some comfort but I have my own pressures. What have the gossip mongers been saying about me?”

 

Clara cleared her throat, sipping her tea. “That you had brought shame upon your husband…”

 

Amy’s breath caught in her throat. “And what do those beasts say of Sara?!”

 

“Her virtue had to be defended against such a vicious display from an untamed matron.”

 

“Those pigs!”

 

“Amy, calm down. Merely words…You shouldn’t concern yourself.”

 

“My life is over. No more invitations to the parties, no more reserving the best seats at the theater…”

 

“Jonathan can clear up this whole situation and set things right.”

 

What did she really know – Jonathan was suddenly acting cold and uncaring. “You’re right I suppose. Clara could you stay with me for a little while – say until John returns.”

 

“Of course I can. Anything to give my friend some cheer.”

 

“Let’s go and tell Jonathan the good news.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

They found him on the verandah sitting and reading one of his medical texts. The warmth of his study had driven him to the coolness of the verandah. The home being close to the river had many benefits.

 

“Jonathan, Clara has decided to spend some time with me,” she gushed.

 

“My parents won’t mind at all but I need your approval.”

 

“It’s good that Amy can have a friend to stay with her. For how long?”

 

“A week…”

 

A week – he had hoped two days. Internally he cursed at Amy. “Of course…that will be no problem.”

 

“Then I must take my leave but will return shortly.  Amy we’ll have oodles of fun just you wait and see.”

 

Jonathan rose slowly and they both looked on as Clara’s carriage disappeared from view. Again Amy was affecting his plans and he needed to be straightforward with her.

 

“What are you trying to do? Delay the inevitable.”

 

“I don’t know what you are talking about.”

 

He turned her roughly towards his icy stare. “I want you gone from my life,” he said coldly.

 

“Jonathan, are you going to be a good dear and serve as an excellent host,” she said calmly.

 

“Haven’t I always...but you will leave my house as soon as her stay is over.”

 

Instead of responding she quickly ran into the house. Maybe his greatest obstacle wasn’t his father – never knew what Amy was planning in that warped mind of hers.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Jonathan was very cold and hadn’t changed his mind. She laid on the bed thinking, tracing back the beginning of Jonathan’s frosty behavior towards her.

It all started with the appearance of those two maids. He’s always talking to one in particular…that Celia. Who is she? No doubt in my mind that there is a connection… but where was it made? I must visit the Campbell estate. 

Chapter 11 by chocolate470

Ms. Abigail and Lydia came home with enough leftovers for everyone. The small dining table could only accommodate three persons at a time so Ms. Abigail and the children withdrew to the living room.

 

Lydia peered at Celia whose eyes were focused on her plate and the rambunctious Joshua. Hortense had enough of Lydia’s harassment, putting her spoon down with a clang.

 

“Why are you staring at Celia?” Hortense was never one to restrain her thoughts.

 

Lydia couldn’t believe her question. “You know what she’s doing,” she responded in an accusatory tone.

 

“The only thing she’s doing is trying her best to support this family…which includes you and your children.”

 

Everyone stopped eating. Ms. Abigail quickly ushered off the children to their room.

 

Celia’s eyes shifted to see Lydia’s changing features from apparent shock to anger and then resolute, having mentally found a satisfying response.

 

“I wouldn’t say that…more like her Jonathan.”

 

Celia knew the curt response was directed towards her. Over the years Lydia hadn’t won many battles with Hortense. “If you feel that way then don’t eat tomorrow or the next day or the next day. Every canned good, smoked meat, corned fish belongs to me because it comes courtesy of my supposed lover. I chose who gets to eat it!” The deed was already done why be frustrated about it. Lydia only looked at her shaking her head solemnly. “I’m tired of this foolishness…going to bed. Come Joshua…”

   

 

 

“Is that what how you treat your sister who has always been there for you?”

 

“Not when she doing something bad...”

 

“Who are you to past judgment? We always do what we can to survive.”

 

“By giving up on a good man…”

 

Hortense pushed aside her chair. A scowl etched across her face.  “I see what this is…you want Joseph…for yourself.”

 

“I do not!” she yelled vehemently pushing back her chair.

 

It was all too much for the returning Ms. Abigail. “Girls stop this now!” Their mother’s resonant tone made them both become aware of their surroundings. Lydia sat down, resting her hand in her chin while Hortense exhaled.  “This life hard enough. My daughters shouldn’t be arguing with each other.”

 

“Mama I don’t like the way Lydia is treating Celia. She’s hurting and needs our support – not her own sister reigning down judgments.”

 

Lydia made to speak but said nothing. “Lydia just upset she can’t help out. She got nothing against Celia,” she replied apologetically.

 

“The way she’s behaving tells me something entirely different.” Hortense walked away. “Lydia should be ashamed of herself.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

Clara was busily practicing her needlepoint by candlelight occasionally pricking her slender fingers. She so wanted to impress John making him believe that he had made a good choice in selecting her. Her maid, Sofie sat closely by with the sewing basket resting on her lap. Amy had left Beatrice upstairs to attend to her room.

 

Amy laughed internally at her feeble attempt – more blood than thread on that fabric. But she grew tired of focusing on simple-minded Clara – some goings on outside had grabbed Jonathan’s attention as he stood by the window with hand in his waist pocket. Except for Clara’s winces the room was far too quiet. At least in England one could listen to the cackling of the fireplace or the clopping of the horses’ hooves against the cobblestone pavements and the passersby murmuring with one another. She also reminisced about the scent of freshly baked bread wafting through the air on Glendale Street or the cafés that dotted every corner.  The Bay’s temperate climate didn’t necessitate fireplaces and the small populous could only support one, maybe two but never three similar business ventures.

“Huh,” she sighed to herself. The gulf between her and her husband had grown considerably. Bitterness had replaced what little love there ever was. One never knows what they have until it’s being taken away. 

“Henderson could you please pour me a tiny glass of sherry,” said Clara, “This needlework takes quite a bit of practice.

 

“Henderson, pour me a glass as well.”

 

Henderson emerged from his dark corner. “Yes my lady.”

 

“Jonathan, are you going to stand by the window all evening. Wouldn’t you like a glass of sherry?” Clara enquired.

 

Amy thought perfect host indeed – standing by the window refusing to speak to anyone.

 

“I’m perfectly alright. I’d advise you to be careful Clara or you may feel something else after drinking a glass of sherry.”

 

Amy cleared her throat. “What he means is that you shouldn’t drink it down too quickly.” Henderson handed them each a glass.

 

“Or I might want more than one glass,” she giggled.

 

He had better things to concentrate on than this. Celia’s anger towards him was noted but there wasn’t anything he would have done differently and he would do it again and again. Either she saw it his way or she saw it his way.  

 

The taste of sherry emboldened Clara to ask, “Jonathan you should have a dinner party.” Amy smiled believing a dinner party to be a very good idea. It would show everyone his support for her in the face of this storm.

 

“No,” was his emphatic response, “Forgive me Clara but I’m not much for company this evening. Come Henderson. Have a very good evening.”

 

Amy flicked her tongue – certainly Jonathan was exposing more of their private quarrel.

 

“What’s gotten into him?” she asked quizzically, “Doesn’t seem like the same Jonathan.”

 

Amy mulled her question over then blurted, “My husband has lost interest in me.”

 

Immediately Clara dismissed the charge. “You’re wrong Amy.”

 

“It happens when you’re being replaced by another woman – our housemaid.” Clara giggled. “Clara, I don’t see the humor anywhere in my confession.”

 

“You being worried about a maid,” she continued laughing, “A maid! Quite hilarious. I would have been worried if it were one of these pretty young maidens. Dr. Campbell has quite a few admirers and you being an outsider.”

 

“Jonathan does not care for those jezebels,” she hissed, “A wife knows these things. The two of them have a connection…She appears upright – married with a son. One time Beatrice was running an errand for me. I asked Celia to assist me and she claimed Jonathan told her not to. ”

 

“Then be rid of her! Have her dismissed immediately!”

 

“Jonathan hired her therefore I can’t dismiss her,” she said contemplative. Surely Jonathan would hasten her departure if she were to take such an action “It’s not possible.”

 

“Then what are you going to do?”

 

“I’m thinking maybe I can find some answers at the Campbell estate.”

 

“And if that…doesn’t work out?”

 

“Risk confronting this wench! My whole world is in danger of being snatched away by this commoner.”

 

Clara hadn’t realized that she had been sitting on the edge of the chair listening to Amy’s musings. It all sounded murky and she perceived that some things were left unsaid. Definitely she wanted more insight on this sorry tale so that she could be a good wife to John and not make the same mistakes.

 

“Playing detectives sounds like a marvelous adventure.”

 

“I’m glad you approve.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

“I don’t know how much more I can take.” Celia sat on her bed mentally fatigued. “She honestly believes that she is doing the right thing by me and Joseph. Maybe I do deserve all of this.”

 

“Lie down Celia and ease your mind. I’ll take care of this little ball of energy.”

 

Celia lied down, placing her hands behind her head. “He likes looking at the pictures in the books that Jonathan gave him.”

 

Candles burned brightly throughout the small room. Celia, Hortense and Joshua would be sharing the bed.

 

“Already liking Jonathan as his father,” she moved to retrieve one of the books from the small table, “Not that I’m putting down Joseph.”

 

“Above everything else Joseph is a very good father.”

 

“If I were you…Joshua… look… book.” She waved it in front of him.

 

“Book?” His bright eyes stared at his aunt inquisitively.

 

“Come look at the pretty pictures.” He climbed into her lap very interested. “As I was saying if I were you I wouldn’t stay here. I would get a room for me and my son until Joseph returns.”

 

“Paid for by my uncollected salary no doubt,” she joked, “Lydia’s qualms are the least of my concerns.”

 

“Joshua, look at the beautiful bird. Say bird.”

 

“Bird…”

 

“Good boy,” she laughed squeezing him gently.

But soon their voices faded from the forefront leaving her trepidations to take over. This situation had brought about a rift within the family – the sisters taking one side or the other. Most importantly the strong bond that she and her mother had created over the years had to be temporarily pushed aside. She wanted to curl into a ball and hide until the storm clouds had drifted away. Everyone is expecting me to do the right thing… 

“Mama…”

 

“Shhh…let your mother sleep.”

 

She replaced the book, blew out the candles and lied down, pulling Joshua over to her side of the bed. He understood that it was time to go to sleep.

 

Poor Celia had so many things to ponder. Three was a crowd add a baby and it was a nightmare. She rocked Joshua back and forth on her chest.

 

“You’re the most innocent in this whole scandal” She blinked then thought about it briefly, “Your father Joseph could be included but at the time he knew exactly what was going on but love is a strange thing that can either fill a heart with joy or break it beyond repair. I hope I never have to experience what your mother is going through at this moment.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Is that cut on your finger healing very well?”

 

“Very well sir,” Henderson responded, easing him into his dressing gown.

 

“Let me see for myself,” he said turning, loosening the bandage.

 

Henderson was never a person to complain very much. It was Mrs. Annabelle that informed him that Henderson was unsuccessfully nursing a painful cut.

 

The aloe treatment had worked for he noticed that the wound was healing – no sign of infection. “It is as you say.”

 

“Would you like a nightcap Dr. Campbell?”

 

“Go ahead and attend to your remaining duties. Good evening Henderson.”

 

“Good evening Dr. Campbell.”

                                                           

****

 

The bed was mocking him – the sheets neatly spread and smoothed out by her hands, the pillows fluffed, blankets laid folded at its edges. Many nights he had spent alone in this bed wanting to forget times spent with her talking, laughing, and…

 

He remembered escaping from a scheduled meeting with Sara. She was awful and he didn’t feel the least bit attracted towards her. Definitely his father was attracted to her father’s wealth. He rushed to discuss the matter with Celia who was hiding out in the servants’ stairwell. She commiserated with his plight.

“One day you’ll find that special lady who will want to see the real Jonathan.” 

“My father’s disappointment…” His spirits were low. Whether directly or indirectly his father had a way of making him feel insecure.

 

“No your mother’s joy. Jonathan you’re attractive, intelligent, very charming, helpful…” It was at that precise moment he started to see her more than his confidant. 

“If you see all those things why doesn’t my father?” 

“Pardon my words but your father is a bastard!” He laughed at her comment.

“And you are my guardian angel…” “Whenever you need me to be...” 

Her countenance, her encouraging words, that laugh – he was completely taken by her and here was his chance. He could laugh at it now because it started out so clumsily with him kissing the bottom of her nose. Embarrassing… but then he heard her breathing as though she expected him to continue.

 

A small peck on her lips. Both their eyes widened, stunned by what happened but it didn’t mean that he was finished. He cupped her face, leaned in capturing her lips in a passionate kiss. His heart was beating so fast but he didn’t comprehend the depth of his emotions. It didn’t help that after they released she immediately ran away.

 

“Look how far we’ve come. The love still remains as strong as ever and we have a son. A handsome, intelligent little boy…” He fell unto the bed, closed his eyes, imagining that her arms were draped across him.

 <<<<<<<<<  

The next day the air was a little chilly – Celia pulled her shawl closer. A joyless morning for Hortense was returning to Mr. Myers’ residence. Hortense followed along as far as she could, mentioning her week’s experiences with her employer while Sonia chatted about Mrs. Campbell deplorable conduct towards everyone including her husband. Hortense lifted an eyebrow wondering why Celia hadn’t gone into depth about Jonathan’s ill-tempered wife... why indeed.

 

“I must stop here.”

 

“See you soon Hortense.” Sonia walked on ahead to allow them some private time.

 

“When was the last time you were truly happy?”

 

“When Joshua was born alive and healthy.”

 

“Promise me that you’ll take care of yourself…for once.”

 

“I promise. I wish I could see you more than one day.”

 

“The ask that supposed lover of yours to give me employment as his housemaid,” she smiled. Celia laughed.

 

She gave Celia a warm hug. “I’ll keep you in my prayers.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

Meeting Amy’s friend Clara was another downer for Sonia at least. It meant increased duties and organized schedules had to be set aside for a whole week.

 

Meanwhile Sonia could hardly believe that she would actually lay eyes on a friend of Amy’s. Clara’s curly auburn hair accentuated her creamy complexion; expressive green eyes stared back at them. Attentively she stood beside Amy doling out instructions. She would be staying in the guest quarters therefore Celia would be attending to some of her needs. It wasn’t a bother. It would keep her fairly busy.

 <<<<<<<<<  

“She is beautiful in her own way,” Clara said as they strode up the stairs.

 

Amy was aghast. “More like hideous. What can she offer that I can’t?”

 

“Then why be fearful of such a thing.”

 

“Because men’s minds are incomprehensible… They think with their downstairs and expect us women to clean up their messes. There is much you need to learn.”

 >>>>>>>>>  

Celia hardly paid attention to Clara getting dressed for breakfast. She kept invisible as possible while Sofie spent time styling Clara’s hair and selecting the appropriate dress – still all her clothing and accessories hadn’t been completely unpacked.

 

Jonathan, attempting to sneak in a conversation with Celia found that she wasn’t at her usual location – his bedroom. He scratched the back his head trying to figure out if their tiff had made her decide to stay home. Doesn’t sound like Celia. She is probably somewhere around…avoiding me.

 

Breakfast… 

“A new dress shop is opening today,” said Clara buttering her toast, “We should go there and take a look see at the latest fashion.”

 

Amy’s expression showed her disapproval of the idea. “I don’t feel myself today maybe tomorrow.” After the initial excitement the crowd would die down and she could show her face.

 

Jonathan remained quiet. Again something else distracted him – his morning paper.

 

“You mustn’t be afraid of facing the public Amy,” she said nibbling, “Jonathan, don’t you believe that she should go out.”

 

“Sure,” he said dryly without lifting his gaze.

 

Amy took up her cup. “I love a crowd but not one that gawks at me and whispers harsh things behind my back. Where are you going?” Jonathan had eased away his chair, rising.

“To my office where else would you think I’m going?” Probably to meet that maid… 

“Nowhere,” she shrugged, “I’m finished as well.” She wiped the corners of her mouth and placed the napkin on the table. “Come Clara…” Clara’s face expressed disappointment but she still followed.

 <<<<<<<<<  

The day passed on. Celia noticed that Amy and Clara drifted upstairs and downstairs at various times – never venturing outside. They must have gotten bored with her. By the time she took that slow walk to Jonathan’s office they had retreated to Amy’s room. She was fully aware that he was waiting.

 

A knock on his door and she heard the command to enter.

 

“Good day Dr. Campbell. I’ve come to clean your office. How has your day been so far?” she asked without looking at him.

 

He sat at the edge of his desk, arms folded. “My day has been good and bad – patients happy to see me, followed your suggestion regarding the alternative medicine. But the way you are behaving towards me suggests that you don’t want to talk to me. So how should we solve our disagreement?”

 

“We don’t have a disagreement. The situation has already been resolved. Do as you like…you’ll do it anyway so why bother speaking about it.” A slap delivered by words.

 

“I’d rather you refrain from treating me coldly.” He gazed at the floor then back at her. “Do you understand what it is like for me not being with the woman I love most in this world and our son?”

 

“Do you fault me for creating a new life without you?” She stared at him. “My new life carries certain obligations but you don’t care about that.” She felt a heat surging through her body when his eyes drifted across her length.

 

He smiled. “I want to kiss those sweet lips of yours...very badly,” he said in a sultry voice.

 

Unnerved that he had changed the conversation she responded, “No…,” with little conviction in her tone.

 

He advanced ever closer to where she stood unmoving. “Then runaway like you did after our first kiss.”

 

So he had been reminiscing about their past. “I’m not going to run away,” she responded softly.

 

He was coming closer. Uncertain of his full intent she backed away slowly. The temperature in the room was steadily rising and his piercing brown eyes were sending off a strong signal – I want you. She was wilting under the weight of his glare – heart pounding, breathing heavily.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Upstairs Amy and Clara were formulating a plan. Well mainly Amy because Clara had grown tired of it all…not understanding why her friend could be so bothered about a housemaid, a married housemaid with a child. She stretched out on the bed paying keen attention to her fingernails while Amy paced around the room.

 

“I’ve got it!” Amy brightened.

 

“What?”

 

“Wednesday is the day that we should carry out our plan.” She joined her on the bed.

 

The plan was simple – go over to the Campbell’s estate, obtain the necessary information, confront Celia giving her the option of leaving and forgetting about Jonathan.

 

“Why Wednesday?”

 

“Because Jonathan will be gone for most of the day doing volunteering at Her Majesty’s infirmary. And you know what else we could do that same day?”

 

“I don’t know Amy tell me,” she taunted.

 

Amy was a little troubled by Clara’s response but she let it go. “If Celia refuses to leave then you’ll accuse her of stealing from you.”

 

Clara opened her mouth in surprise. “Me?!”

 

“It has to come from you. Jonathan would be suspicious if the accusation came from my lips. He is very intelligent. You can’t get anything pass him but he having known you for these many years wouldn’t question your character.”

 

“I don’t know Amy. It sounds like you’re taking this a bit too far. She has a family.”

 

“Why do you care? Weren’t you the same person telling me to let her go?”

 

“But you want to throw her in jail!”

 

“Fine! Go On! Leave my room!” She began pushing her off the bed. “In fact leave my house! If you breathe one word of this to Jonathan I’ll know and you don’t want to cross me!”

 

“I can’t believe you’re doing this to me!”

 

Immediately Amy remembered once Clara leaves Jonathan was going to be rid of her. She had to make her stay.

 

“Clara, don’t go! Please forgive me. Those foul words I said weren’t true.” She quickly climbed off the bed to stop Clara from leaving. “I’m just so frustrated by this situation. I love my husband so much and it hurts that he wants to give up on our marriage. Say you’ll forgive me,” her eyes pleaded, “Say you’ll stay. I really need a friend.”

 

“Oh Amy I forgive you. I cannot imagine the pain you must be going through.” She hugged her warmly.

 

That was too easy. Now to get her to agree to my plan... 

From the bathroom Beatrice had been eavesdropping, hearing must of the conversation. Once Amy’s mind was made up there was no way she was going to back away from her plan of throwing Celia in jail. She was faced with a dilemma with possibly her livelihood as a consequence.

<<<<<<<<< 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Nowhere…” Her back had reached the wall. “They’re spying on us…”

 

“I don’t give a damn. They don’t know what’s going on in here. We are behind closed doors.”

 

She closed her eyes, moistened her lips, preparing for the eventuality but it never came. Instead he lifted his chin, placing a small kiss on her forehead. “You may go. I’m sure you’re needed in the kitchen,” he said withdrawing then turning. “My office is quite suitable. It doesn’t need any cleaning today.”

 

Rage surged within her – all this bloody buildup for nothing! This wasn’t the time to be playing with her emotions. The situation was so much worst for her and here he was playing a stupid game. Damn Him!  “Bastard!” she yelled, hurling her weight on his back.

 

Caught off guard he quickly turned around, grasping her tightly. “That’s my father…remember.”

 

“Let me go…,” she said writhing in his arms but he was far too strong. He took away all her strength – her will to fight against him.

  

His lips crushed down hard on her mouth and she responded, kissing him with the same fervor as he was doing to her. But it had to end before it went past the point of no return – she had to end it. Catching their breaths, they stood regarding each other.

 

“Could you please hold off until…I haven’t been myself. For now I need you to be my support...as my friend. Could please you do this for me?” Her captivating brown eyes beseeched him.

 

He could do this one thing until the time was right. “Yes…” he grasped her arms then drew her into an embrace. “Everything is going to be alright my love. I’ll make sure of it. I love you too much not to try.”

 

One week, four days, seven hours…Suddenly time had become an enemy.

 

user posted image
Chapter 12 by chocolate470

Celia was quite useless in the kitchen. Frayed nerves caused her to forget the basics of cooking reacting clumsily to simple instructions. At one point she almost burned herself having been regulated to watching the pot simmer. Sonia shook her head puzzled by her friend's actions. Eventually Annabelle had her dismissed from the kitchen for her own safety and the sake of her own nerves - dinner needed to get cooked.

What's wrong with me? She asked herself, wiping off clammy hands on her apron. This was so out of character.

Spotting Henderson in the process of lighting the downstairs she decided to offer her assistance. Surely she wouldn't burn down the house.  He was very grateful since he needed to attend to Jonathan and fretted about the lateness of the hour. He gave her a lit candle and told her which rooms remained to be lighted.

<<<<<<<<< 

Dread - an ominous feeling that he couldn't easily be rid of. There when he took his bath and now as Henderson finished dressing him for dinner. His face tension-filled...so many thoughts racing through his mind all at once... If he pressured her he may lose her. If he didn't he may still lose her. Joseph wasn't anywhere around yet he held the best cards within his grasp - Celia and Joshua. Whatever decision she made he must accept it... regardless. But could he bear losing her twice in his lifetime without putting up a fight. He reflected back on some of the last words that he and Drake shared with one another.

"Pray for us and pray that I'm able to convince Eliza that it will work out between us. You are the only person that understands what I'm experiencing."

"I'll pray that you remain strong throughout whatever obstacles that may arise. My friend you have greater courage than I ever did."

"Ah Drake here is my opportunity to have your same courage but our lives are far more complicated," he muttered to himself.

"Did you say something sir?"

"It was nothing Henderson."

<<<<<<<<< 

There were only a few rooms remaining mainly the dining room, the parlor and the last being the foyer where she was presently. She found that her circumstance was never far away from her conscious.

Jonathan had given his word so why was she troubled?

Maybe you wanted him to go further, came the words from an inner voice.

"Nonsense..." She tried dismissing the thought but found it difficult because...

Didn't that kiss ignite a flame? A burning desire to be with your only love...

The imagery of his hands caressing up and down her spine; savoring the sensation of his tongue wrapped around hers, the weight of his body pressed against her.

"Stop It! Stop It!"

Giggles from the banister - Amy with Beatrice in tow...Soon Clara and Sofie joined them. Celia could care less. She held her head straight and went on with her task.

"Oh my Celia is losing her mind," Amy giggled.

"Is she?" Clara asked interested.

Secretly she wished it were true. "What a marvelous sight. Jonathan should have been here to witness the unraveling." Beatrice rolled her eyes in disgust. "Knock on the door Beatrice and see if my husband is ready to go down to dinner."    

 

"Henderson, see who's there and tell them I'm not finished." Henderson nodded.

 

"Mrs. Campbell wants to know if Dr. Campbell is ready for dinner."

"Dr. Campbell is running a bit late." As we all are.

"Henderson, inform the ladies that they can go ahead with the meal. I'll be down shortly".

"Dr. Campbell suggests that the ladies start the meal without him. He'll be down in a short while." He closed the door.

 

Amy's face wrinkled in disgust. As the man of the house he is to be present at meals whenever guests are over. She sighed and Clara sympathized. Taking her by the arm they drifted quietly down the stairway.

<<<<<<<<< 

A few minutes later and Jonathan was looking spiffy in his black suit and polished boots, hair slightly tousled.

"Go ahead and help Amos prepare the dining room. I can manage."

"Very good sir..."

One last look in the mirror - the face of an unhappy man in an unhappy state of affairs... I'm desperately in need of a kiss from a dark princess to rescue me... Although he was having doubts that she would ever come. Why? Because the princess is trapped in her own unhappiness...What a horrible fairytale he was telling himself. This whole situation was frustrating but he couldn't break his promise to her.

<<<<<<<<< 

A few hours more and the ship would be on the New York coast. The weather was so much different - colder. But Joseph was excited about experiencing the city. He knew that when the ship arrived in the southern states this privilege would be taken away.

"Have you taken advantage of our Miriam?"

"Our Miriam?" He asked plainly without any malice towards Captain Cummins.

Another evening spent in the captain's quarters drinking a smooth scotch to warm the blood before retiring. His heavy coat could only do so much. This week he was on days. He hated nights because you felt the strain on your muscles when sleep was threatening. The stokehold was an earthly hell. 

"Once she was mine but she grew tired of my many port wives," he laughed, slapping his knee, mouth revealing a few gold teeth.

Nice to have a laugh and a spot of drink with a mate... Soon he'll be returning to the bridge for night duties. The ship was so close to shore. It had to be maneuvered properly. Joseph was welcome company on these short breaks.

"Miriam is a decent woman. When you're out at sea sometimes you need a warm body to keep the darkness away. Do you understand that Joseph?"

"I'm beginning to..."

"It takes a hearty soul to pursue this sea life as a career. You, my friend, are made of sturdy stock." He raised his glass to him and they toasted.

Joseph swallowed his last. "I'm going to call it a night."

"My wife needs me as well." The ship would always be his wife while the women were his mistresses. "You can sleep in my quarters until I return." He had a small cot that Joseph could use.

Joseph was grateful for the offer. "Thank you Captain and Good night..."

"Good night Joseph."

 

He wasn't comfortable sleeping in the captain's quarters. He decided to study the maps of the oceans when he heard a knock at the door...strange. It was Miriam.

"Couldn't sleep," she said in a small voice.

"And you knew I was here?"

"I usually know where you are," she smiled.

"Come in, take a seat." He poured her a drink.

How many times in the past had she come into this room - a huge map of the Atlantic affixed to the wall, chairs, books, maps, but tonight it seemed different. 

"I guess you heard the story." She eyed him warily, taking a sip.

"You and the captain..."

"These men that have passed through my life mean nothing to me. But you are beginning to mean something..."

"Sea life means no promises."

Just like a man to back away but she still sensed something unique about this Joseph. "No promises but some bonds can never be broken...by anyone."

<<<<<<<<< 

Unprepared - that's why she was going through this experience. She was riding an emotional rollercoaster - up and down, side to side, incredible highs and agonizing lows. And how had she convinced herself that everything would work out splendidly? Their years spent apart of course; their marriages. Since Jonathan wasn't aware, Joshua's parentage wouldn't be much of a factor so she told herself but perfect plans have a way of unraveling - certainly hers had. She had underestimated the emotional bond between them.  

The air is so stifling in here...it was best to go outside and take in the evening breeze. On the verandah there wasn't much relief. What little breeze there was blew sporadically. She decided to rest quietly in the corner. Eyes peered off into the semidarkness. Ears attuned to the different sounds coming from the river and the neighbors pooch barking incessantly in the adjoining backyard. At that moment no one would bother her.

Not so long ago she recalled standing by his window massaging her neck. It was such a warm evening and the air was much cooler on his side of the estate.

Suddenly she felt a chill - Jonathan had blown an icy breath on the nape of her neck. She spun around her eyes catching sight of his unbuttoned shirt that exposed dark curly chest hairs. There was a glint in his eyes while his mouth swirled the small piece of ice around and around.    

"Do you know of something that can cool me down?" she asked without thinking about her words.

He nodded then pulled her into his arms. The heat of their kiss quickly melted the ice away.

"Alas I'm hot again," she whispered in a sultry voice, fingers becoming entwined in his chest hairs.

In a low, sensual voice he replied, "I have another way to cool you down." Slowly he undressed her, one hand loosening her head warp, the other hoisting the hem of her skirt.

"Wait...what time is it?"

"Time for my bath...," he joked, trailing small kisses along her neck.

Yearning for him to continue but she also remembered. "Jo I'm serious." She tried stopping his pleasurable onslaught. Finally she managed to push him aside. "Mrs. Bennington is probably wondering about my whereabouts."

"I don't give a damn about...Mrs...Bennington. Lia, you can't leave me... like this," his voice pleading, dark eyes sending her mind on fire.

user posted image

 The desire in his eyes made her say...be quiet...quit worrying. That Adonis like body was eagerly calling her and she intended to heed his call. She unlaced the strap that held his hair together, allowing it cascade around his shoulders. He plowed his hair with his right hand, shaking it loose. She moistened her lips while he closed the distance between them.  She started to undress him and he did the same with her.

"You're so beautiful."

"Hmmm...," came her breathy response as his body covered hers.

A passion-filled night - kissing, caressing and stroking each other until she had to leave much to Jonathan's dismay but he wasn't the one that got into hot water afterwards...  

 

"OH!" She let out a startled expression when she saw Jonathan standing in front of her.

"Forgive me Celia. I didn't mean to scare you."

"I was surprised, that's all," she responded, caressing her neck. Her body felt heated. "Th-thought you'd be at dinner?"

"I wanted to see how you were doing. After our last encounter I was a bit worried." He stood in front of her trying to gauge her mood but she averted her eyes.

"There is no need to worry. I'm fine."

"Alright... if you say so..."

He sat next to her slightly touching her arm, sensing an emotional connection between the both of them but if she wanted to play coy about it he would allow her to do so.

"What were you thinking about before I came out?" he asked deliberately.

She couldn't think of way to respond without sounding foolish but then she replied, "How could anyone think with that dog continuously barking."

"I need to speak to Mr. Abraham about that damn dog." She managed to relax. "Do you mind me coming along with you and Ms. Sonia?" Why did he want to come along? "I miss being around Joshua."

Her heart sighed. "Sure..." Ask him you know you want to. "Would you let me go...if I asked you to?" Her face slightly turned towards him.

This question... "Even if you asked me I wouldn't let you go because deep down you don't want me to." He wanted to kiss her so badly but..."I must go inside before they send someone for me." He arose and walked away.

Celia you can't have it both ways. Either you want to be with him or you don't.

She looked down at her hands helplessly but there were no answers there.

<<<<<<<<< 

"One guess as to where my husband is at this moment...Celia..." Dinner wasn't going well for Amy - the food lacked taste and the wine was dry. "And to top it all of this is the worst meal I've ever tasted. I don't know what Annabelle is doing in that kitchen. Beatrice, take this away immediately."

"Yes ma'am." Beatrice quickly took away her plate and exited the room.

Clara didn't find anything wrong with her portions - the meal was divine - chicken fricassee and rice served with white wine. She eyed Amy - slowly he friend was going over the edge.

"Henderson, go and look for your master!"

At that same moment Jonathan entered the room. "I'm found!"

"Why did you take so long in coming?" She asked already irritated by his lack of propriety.

"I was delayed." Henderson pulled out his chair. "Never mind the soup I'll dine on the main course." He placed his plate in front of him, pouring his wine. "The meal looks splendid." He spread out his napkin on his lap, taking up knife and fork.

Amy wouldn't accept that shortened explanation. "Clara is a guest in our home and here you are exuding appalling behavior," she said staring at her discarded meal.

"Are you a stranger to me, Clara?"

"Well...no..."

"There you have it! So you see...you are the one that's overreacting."

"I'm the one who's overreacting, "she mocked sadly.

"Amy, I'm the man of this house so give me that respect," he seethed. He took a bite then said, "Delicious isn't it Clara." What could Clara do but nod in agreement. "How is the wine? Superb as well..."

Clara looked on frightfully at the display - Jonathan gushing over his meal while Amy was next to tears. Making a marriage work was harder than she thought. Suddenly Amy got up and rushed out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

"You should see to her Clara," he said matter-of-factly, "After all you two are friends."

Another meal interrupted because of Amy. "Of course," she replied.

Jonathan had his own concerns Amy wasn't the only one hurting. It seemed Celia wanted to be released on his word. She needs to look me in the face and say that she doesn't love me otherwise...I'll never let you go.  

<<<<<<<<< 

"You've seen with your own two eyes how horribly he treats me," she cried, stroking her arms. "This interloper must be kicked out of our lives once and for all before it's too late."

Clara almost felt like it was already too late. They strolled on until they reached the stairs. Amy leaned against its bottom rail for support. Clara sent Sofie off to her room.

"If he treats you this badly then why would you want to remain in this marriage?"

Was Clara moronic? She was married to a physician. It afforded her the wealth and status that every woman of her age greatly craved. "Because I know it's because of her! I cannot allow myself to be beaten by that black marauder!"

Clara tapped a finger on her cheek. "I have an idea but perhaps you may not want to consider it."

"I'm at my wits end...say it Clara!"

"Mr. Campbell isn't here and I seriously doubt that his staff would be very helpful towards you. Mrs. Bennington is a very strict steward of that estate."

"Are you saying that I won't be welcomed?" she asked with raised eyebrows. "But I'm Jonathan's wife."

"Not his intended bride," she replied glibly.

Which was true - they had never considered her part of the family. "So what should I do stand here bawling my eyes out!"

"Come let's sit down."

"I don't want to sit. I want to go after that Black HEATHEN!" She attempted track down Celia, confronting her but Clara halted her advance.

"You'll do so at your own peril." Amy thought about it momentarily. "I've learnt that it's not wise to confront these types of issues head-on." Amy twisted out from her grasp, flopping down on the bottom stair, brooding.

Finally she asked, "So tell me Clara, what must I do?"

"I believe... in some way... that S-Sara can help us." She cleared her throat.

A crazed look came into Amy's eyes. "NEVER! Begging that witch! She believes that I took Jonathan away from her. Why would she want to help me?"

"You don't have to go. I'll do it."

"But why would you want to speak to my sworn enemy? She hates me as much as I hate her. What sort of information can you squeeze out of a dried up turnip?"

"Where else are you going to get some answers? You would look very foolish if you confronted this maid with mere suppositions." She paused. "Sara has known Jonathan longer than any of us."

Amy had to admit that Clara was right for once. She relented. "Alright..."

<<<<<<<<< 

Sonia was astonished when Jonathan joined them on their carriage ride home. Sitting across from him the ladies remained quiet.

"Probably would have been gossiping about my fractured household no doubt," Jonathan observed, chuckling. For a second the comment seemed to come out of nowhere then Celia and Sonia giggled sheepishly.

"A little...," Sonia offered, "But we mainly speak about our own lives."

"Is that so? I would think that my intriguing life would carry the weight of any conversation."

"Who is to say that our lives aren't more intriguing?" Sonia asked. This Sonia was a clever woman. Celia nodded in agreement.

"You're right Sonia who is to say," he smiled politely.

Once they had gotten past the awkward beginning they managed to have a good conversation - Sonia chatting away about Celia's kitchen mishaps. Both Jonathan and Celia knew why it had occurred. She hadn't been alright after all.

"I was distracted," she explained quickly.

"I guess I should thank Mrs. Annabelle and Sonia for rescuing the meal."

"You're very welcome." Sonia nudged Celia. "Otherwise she is a very good cook Dr. Campbell. I wonder what caused your distraction Celia."

"Yes Ms. Celia, tell us. We are very curious."

When his eyes gazed upon her she felt her cheeks become warm. "My preoccupation with your dear wife and her friend Clara..." She looked straight at him. The look in his eyes complimented her...a very good response Celia...very good.

"Understandable." Sonia folded her arms and didn't say anymore about the subject.

"It won't be long ladies when my house is back to normal. I promise."

<<<<<<<<< 

"Thank you so much Dr. Campbell for your company and the nice conversation. Have a very good evening."

"I enjoyed our little chat as well. Good evening Ms. Sonia."

She felt a bit uncomfortable standing there without saying anything but she was waiting until Sonia was out of sight. "I'll be back shortly."

Jonathan nodded. Thereafter his eyes carefully scanned her small dwelling. The surrounding yard was properly maintained and knowing Celia so was the inside. But he wanted so much more for her and their son. He had it within his power to give to her if only she would accept it.

Before long Celia returned with Joshua secured tightly in her arms. "Look Joshua your father has come all this way to see you." She placed him on the ground.

"Joshua...," he said going down to one knee.

He regarded Jonathan for a moment then ran into his open arms. Jonathan closed his eyes, enjoying the moment. He would be the father to this little boy that his father never wanted to be to him.

"Would you mind terribly if Joshua and I went on a short carriage ride?"

"Go on..."

"I promise to bring him back safely."

"I know you will..."

 

"Let us men go out for a spot of fun until your bedtime." He tickled his chest causing Joshua to burst out giggling.

Celia's heart was elated at the bonding that was occurring between father and son. She decided to sit on the stoop and await their return.

<<<<<<<<< 

Joshua rested comfortably on his father's lap, talking and pointing when he observed something interested outside. Celia must have a difficult time getting you to bed.

They stopped off at Milner's Grocery where Lawrence went inside to purchase shaved ice and syrup along with a spoon - Jonathan didn't want Joshua getting dirty. Joshua enjoyed the treat immensely but sometimes behaved unruly believing that he was old enough to take care of himself - typical two year olds Jonathan laughed. He held these memories close to his heart but regretted the ones that were never experienced.

Final stop before taking him home was the Bay's only public park located on the north side of the settlement. Currently occupied by the few young lovers ...the older set preferred their homes or the neighborhood taverns so it was easy for him to find an area where they wouldn't be disturbed.

Immediately the sight of fireflies flying around captured Joshua's imagination. He raced around trying to catch one. Jonathan caught one in his palms and allowed him to hold on to it before it flew away.

"It gone...," Joshua said surprised.

"Don't worry I have another surprise."

 user posted image

 

It was a zoetrope - a toy that seemed to make pictures move. Upon spinning the drum Joshua laughed, clapping his hands. When the movement stopped he became so disappointed that Jonathan had to spin it over and over again until he finally fell asleep in his arms.

"I hope Celia isn't going to be too upset when we return," he muttered, cradling him in his arms. "I love you so much Joshua as I love your mother."

<<<<<<<<< 

When they returned he found Celia huddled against the doorframe stifling a yawn.

"Forgive me Celia we were having so much fun..."

"No matter...it looks like you two had a great time."

"We did indeed have a great time. Thank you," he said with grateful eyes.

"As his father you should spend time with him."

He carefully placed him in her arms. "Good night my little boy," he said stroking his hair. "Good night my love..." He caressed her cheek, eyes relaying unspoken feelings. Reluctantly he turned and walked away.

"Home Mr. Lawrence..."

"Yes sir." Lawrence tipped his hat to Celia who waved goodbye.

<<<<<<<<< 

She stood silently watching the carriage leave. Everyday Joseph was slowly slipping away from her conscious. No she couldn't have it both ways and she was starting to realize where and with whom she truly wanted to be.

When she came inside she found Lydia lying down in the settee staring at her with contemptuous eyes. Celia walked past unmoved.

<<<<<<<<< 

As the evening progressed Jonathan sat in his study...thinking. Tomorrow he had something very important to take care of.

"Dr. Campbell, are you in there?"

"Come in Mrs. Annabelle. It must be very important for you to seek me out this late."

She found him sitting at the edge of his desk. "I would have spoken to you earlier but they told me that you went out."

Jonathan noticed her unhappy features. "What's wrong Mrs. Annabelle?"

"If your wife is to remain in your life...I can no longer work for you. She treats the servants horribly and never utters a word of greeting. Everyday she harps on our shortcomings and I won't take it anymore. I understand that she is your wife but I should be respected as well. Jonathan you are like a son to me but..."

"Mrs. Annabelle I assure you that by the end of the week Amy will no longer be a problem."

Her big speech wasn't necessary. "I hope you are divorcing her," she said casually. Jonathan laughed, giving her a warm hug. "Does this also mean that you are clearing the way for Ms. Celia? Remember she's married with a baby."

"I haven't told you this but Joshua is my son."

Annabelle smacked his arm. "No...My Lord! Someone is going to get hurt."

"Joseph has my family. I can't and won't lose them again."

"Jonathan, Celia has a say in all of this. Her life will be affected more so than yours."

"She's asked me to be patient and that's what I'm doing," he said in a low voice.

"Reluctantly I suppose," she said with a smile. Jonathan turned away then he felt Annabelle's comforting hands on his shoulders. "Over the years I've seen the sadness in your eyes. I can never begin to understand your pain. You know something..."

"What?" he asked softly.

"You might have lost her physically but emotionally she has always been a part of you. I know she feels the same way about you. If it's meant to be then it shall be. Don't stay up too late...worrying." She moved away.

"I won't stay up too late." He heard the door close. "Always has been. Always will be..."

<<<<<<<<< 

The next day...

By mid-morning the house was quiet. Celia found that she and Henderson were the only ones remaining in the house. Annabelle and Sonia had gone to the marketplace. Jonathan needed to go and take care of some urgent business. Amy, Clara, and their entourage went out as well. It felt great working in relative peace and quiet. She didn't know how long she could enjoy this feeling.

<<<<<<<<< 

Clara entered Sara's establishment feeling a bit out of place. The interior had changed - now supplying the latest in women's fashions. Gregory wasn't anywhere around only Sara and two shop assistants.

Sara looked up from behind her counter. Who could it be but Clara? Amy sending one of her minions on a mission... What could this be about now?

"Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn. You are definitely in the wrong place being that you are that troll's friend." Her eyes slanted.

Clara took the remark in stride. "I assure you that I'm in the correct place although things had changed remarkably."

"One has to progress. So tell me why are you here?" she asked bluntly.

"May we speak privately?"

"It all depends on the nature of your visit."

"I have a concern regarding Dr. Campbell."

Now that is really interesting. She told one of her assistants to manage the shop while she led Clara to the back storeroom. This was business certainly not pleasure otherwise she would have been taken to her parlor for tea and refreshments.

"Speak..." She parked herself in a chair leaving Clara to stand.

Clara went straight to the heart of the matter. "I was wondering about Jonathan's past relationship with his housemaid Celia."

Celia...Her mind became flooded with past memories especially that ill-fated evening. After all this time the castoff had found a way to reenter Jonathan's life with him allowing it of course.

"Is that all? I've found that you've wasted my time with this nonsense."

"So you do know of this maid?" she persisted.

"Why is it so important to you?"

"Because I fear that this maid may have something on Dr. Campbell that may cause him great harm. He is behaving strangely...unlike the Jonathan I've come to know."

What a weak explanation. She could have thought of something much better. Amy is turning out to be a feebleminded adversary. On second thought Sara decided to humor herself.

"Celia was once employed at the Campbell estate before being dismissed for her lack of decorum - exposing the family's affairs." Clara eyed her curiously. "My goodness Clara, don't be so naïve. How do you believe our men gain their sexual prowess? Only by means of self-gratification," she laughed. "Remember we white women are expected to be virtuous until the marriage bed. Well most of us are. There are always a few exceptions to every rule. I pray you are the latter...Clara." Was she threatening her?

"I promise you that I've never slept with any man."

"Mr. John Baker is a very good man with a prominent business. You don't want a nasty rumor to be going around about his intended bride-to-be."

"Are you threatening me?" she asked a bit fearful.

Sara barely blinked. "I'm saying that you should be careful about your friends. In the end they may take you down with them." Seeing Clara's shocked expression made her laugh wickedly. Clara heeded the warning and left immediately.

Clara was her least concern but it felt great to put fear in someone's heart again. "What to do about Mrs. Amy Campbell? Expecting that I could be used to get back in Jonathan's good graces..."

How should Amy be dealt with? A simple note from a concerned witness informing Jonathan of Amy exposing their business publicly would be sent off promptly. Details included of course.

As for the black whore Celia...She had to admit that Celia has always been her true adversary. For Jonathan to be so in love with a black housemaid - the thought made her want to vomit but Jonathan's little plaything wasn't worth her best efforts.

"Upon his return Mr. Campbell will deal with her..."        

Her real dispute was with Amy who took away the man she was going to marry. She deserved everything she was going to get. If she could only be present when Jonathan threw her out of the house with Amy pleading for him to take her back... Ah you can't have it all.

Chapter 13 by chocolate470

Her wait in the corner café seemed forever. It seemed like hours. Why was Clara taking so long? She endured the whispers, the giggles, trying her best to block them out with Beatrice by her side.

"Don't you have better things to do?" She sniped at the adjacent table. "Or better things to talk about?" But the two ladies just turned their heads away. In England she had been around far superior genteel so a few busybodies weren't going to distract her in the least.

"Mrs. Campbell maybe I should go and look see where they are?" Beatrice asked. She too had heard the constant whispers and was getting tired of the spectacle.

"Alright but don't take too long."

<<<<<<<<< 

"Sofie, I want you to go and hail a cab."

"But why ma'am? What about Mrs. Campbell?"

"She's not my concern anymore!" Her face vexed. "Go and find us a carriage instead of standing here asking questions!" Sofie hurried away.

Clara patted her brow. Even though her heart and mind were racing she knew what needed to be done - return to the Dr. Campbell's estate and collect her belongings. There was no way she was going to spend another evening in that house around a crazed woman especially with Sara's threat fresh in her thoughts. She wanted to start a new life and not end it because of a friend like Amy. If she thought about it clearly Amy has never been a true friend at all. She was always called upon when Amy needed a shoulder to lean on never the other way around.

Finally a carriage pulled up and she quickly entered. From a short distance away Beatrice saw her boarding the carriage and immediately went back inside.

"Mrs. Campbell, I believe just now I saw Ms. Clara boarding a carriage."

"Nonsense," she rebuffed. "You must be imagining things."

"Go and look for yourself if you don't believe me."

Amy went outside. A carriage raced past her but she wasn't sure if Clara was inside or not. She assumed that her time was wasted.

"I told you Beatrice that you were mistaken. Maybe you should get your eyes examined." Maybe someone should examine your brain Beatrice thought. "We'll wait another ten more. Surely she has been delayed. Pour me some more tea."

To sit and wait in this modern day coliseum wasn't what Beatrice hoped for. Amy was frontline entertainment, pretending that the stares and whispers weren't affecting her greatly. After pouring the tea Beatrice hung her head solemnly praying that the day would soon be over.

<<<<<<<<< 

Annabelle and Sonia arrived from the market. Their baskets loaded with provisions. At the same time Celia was passing them on her way to the parlor when Annabelle stopped her.

"Sonia, Celia is going to help me in the kitchen. Take over her duties until I call for you."

Celia and Sonia stared at one another puzzled.

"Am I going to get a talking to about last night?" Celia asked apprehensive.

"No," Annabelle smiled, "Just come along with me."

Celia took Sonia's basket and followed in her tracks unsure of Annabelle's request for her assistance. One way or the other Jonathan was involved.

Entering the kitchen Annabelle said, "Get those potatoes, wash them and start peeling."

She found the potatoes, washed them in a bowl and began peeling all the while sensing that she should be prepared for a tongue lashing of some sort. Unfortunately Annabelle was taken her sweet time.

How to peel a potato? A potato could be peeled in various ways. Start at the top and work your way down, stop and do it over again. Or start at the stop working your way down and around.

The suspense was killing her. At first Annabelle took out all the food items, spreading them across the kitchen counter. Then she gathered all the bowls, pots, pans and kitchen utensils needed.

"Celia, Jonathan told me something last night that I could hardly believe."

"What did...he tell you?" she asked in a small voice, setting aside another perfectly peeled potato.

"That Joshua is his son."

Celia wiped her hands slowly on the kitchen cloth. "Joshua is his son." Celia observed Annabelle dicing a carrot. It occurred to her that a nice stew must be on the evening's menu.

"While you were at the estate didn't I tell you to come to me anytime you needed help?"

"I couldn't get you involved Ms. Annabelle."

And why would she? When she and Jonathan first started their association Annabelle warned her about becoming absorbed in his life - with Mrs. Bennington around she needed to be very vigilant. Again she gave her a stern warning when she suspected their further involvement explaining to her the pitfalls of having a child by a man with whom there would never be a future. Seeing that she failed in paying heed to her warnings how could she have gone to her.

"Instead you involve another man."

"Joseph knew how things were from the beginning. I kept nothing from him. I didn't force him to marry me. Mama said go ahead, give him a chance. She couldn't help me anymore because of her eyesight going bad. I also felt that I would never see Jonathan again." The last sentence she said softly.

"So I guess I'm the one to blame for all this." She placed one hand on her hip. "I still wish you would have come to me child then maybe all of this could have been avoided. After he lost you I had to pray real hard for that boy...then his mother died. For his own good he had to get out of the Bay... too many sad, sad memories." She stared out the window then sighed. "When he came back I was happy that he had a wife but still there was that look in his eyes. Maybe I told him to hire you for my own selfish reasons given that by now I couldn't stand his wife. I knew well enough that it would have sparked something between the two of you.  Don't deny I Celia. You still are peeling those potatoes."

"Yes ma'am." She took up another.

"Know how Jonathan feels about the situation especially now that he has a son. What are you going to do?"

"For these two years Joseph has been there for my son."

"That's Joshua what about you?"

"What about me?"

"Jonathan is going to fight for the woman he loves and his son. You're the only one that can hurt Jonathan so if you decide to stay with Joseph tell him directly. Celia his heart can't take another heartbreak."

"Neither can I..."

<<<<<<<<< 

"Jonathan!" Ben accosted him before he could ascend his horse. "On horseback today?"

"Well I'm trying to get as many things accomplished today as I can."

"Have we gone down to the Courthouse?" He asked with amused eyes.

"My petition for a divorce is in the process of being granted."

"Amazing that you got it done so quickly..." Jonathan grinned at Ben's sly comment. "Amy isn't going to accept this without a fight."

"Believe me she will accept it."

"I see. Then come down to the club for a celebratory drink."

"I thought you were spending more time with Ana."

"Sometimes couples need a respite from one another. She wants to visit her social circle and so do I."

"I'll join you later on but I still have things to take care of," He said climbing atop his horse.

"How about you join us for lunch?"

"Lunch it is."

<<<<<<<<< 

Clara regretted returning to the house. She had packed so many things for her week's stay and now she would be unable to get fit everything in time.

"Leave it Sofie. Are most of my best dresses and jewelry already in this trunk?"

"Yes ma'am"

"Go and call Henderson to help carry it down. The cab will return shortly."

But as Sofie rushed to open the door she came across Amy standing with a perplexed on her face. "What is this all about? I waited for you at the café and here you are."

"I can't remain here any longer."

"Why?"

"My cab is returning and I can't talk about this right now."

"Clara you did something for me. Now what did Sara tell you?"

Amy stood at the doorway determined to elicit a response but Clara pushed past her never acknowledging the question. She yelled for Henderson to help with her luggage. Henderson came up the stairs ready to assist but...

"Henderson you'll do no such thing!"

"Fine! Sofie and I can do it ourselves."

"Clara I want to know what Sara said... damn you!" she yelled grabbing her arm.

"Let go of me! You're demented!" Clara tried twisted her arm away but Amy held it fast. "Let me go!"

The situation was getting out of control and Beatrice intervened. "Mrs. Campbell let her go. You don't want another scandal becoming public fodder," she whispered. Amy took a deep breath and let her go.

"Go on...leave me then. I see the type of friend you are - turning your back on me when I'm most in need," she cried.

"In my times of need were you ever there fore me Amy? Your sniveling is not going to work this time around especially when it interferes with my own life. Sofie take hold of the other end of the trunk and let's get out of this accursed house."

They struggled to get the trunk down the stairs. Henderson stood by helplessly feeling Amy's cold steely glare on him.

"You're evil Clara!"

An upset Amy marched into Clara's room yelling for Beatrice, Henderson and Amos to follow.

"All of you listen to me very carefully. You are not to breathe a word of Clara's departure to Dr. Campbell. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes ma'am"

"Beatrice, go and look for Celia and bring her to me." Celia had to be dealt with now. "As for Henderson and Amos I want you both to take all of Clara's things that were left behind and burn them in the backyard," she said vehemently.

Outrageous but they had to do as they were told. Beatrice knew one thing - she was going to pretend to seek out Celia.

<<<<<<<<< 

What went on out there? Celia hid by the edge of wall underneath the staircase listening to the unfolding drama. The most interesting part of the heated discussion was Sara's name being mentioned. It was clear that Amy and Clara went out to speak with of all people Sara. The sound of her heart beating resonating in her ears - knowing Sara she would have spilled every detail to fulfill her own sick desires. Stay or Leave? She twisted her fingers. Where was Jonathan? She couldn't just stand around and wait for Amy to pounce on her. She had to hide.

<<<<<<<<< 

Inexplicably Beatrice was unable to find Celia. These servants were useless when it really counted.

"Did you search everywhere?!"

"I searched everywhere ma'am but I couldn't find her," she responded in a low tone. Her head bowed, arms resting at her side.

Amy folded her arms not believing her words. "Since you can't perform a simple task I'll find her on my own," she replied in her superior tone.

Her search for Celia was proving to be just as fruitless. She didn't believe Annabelle and Sonia so she opened up the housemaid's closet, checked the cupboards - nothing. Maybe she was in the servants quarters - peeking under beds still nothing. Outside in the stable... Sonia found it all amusing while Annabelle shook her head smiling a little.

Little did she know that Celia was at the west end of the property standing behind the huge poinsettia tree periodically peeking to see if Jonathan had returned.

"AH!" She screamed that Celia was more trouble than she had thought but she felt that she had one more day to take care of business - Wednesday. "That housemaid will get what's coming to her."

<<<<<<<<< 

1:00 p.m.

Clink. The three friends had enjoyed a great lunch exclusionary of Thomas' sour mood. The club's dining hall was noisy with activity - many upper crusted men chose to dine there.

"A toast to Thomas," Ben said, raising his glass.

"I'm hurting and you're finding it funny Ben," Thomas peeved.

"Thomas please...you're behaving like a scorned lover when Clara hardly paid you any attention."

"Just because you have her sister you want to throw darts in my direction." Thomas drank down the last of his ale.

"Come on Ben - leave him be. Another round of pale ale Charles!" Jonathan shouted at the attendant who nodded.

"Well look who's late for lunch - Addison and his cigar."

Addison puffed away purposefully. "You should be the one to talk Ben when you smoke as much as I do," he replied, pulling up a chair.

"At least I alternate," he smiled.

"Are you hungry?" Jonathan asked.

Addison declined. "I've already eaten."

"I wonder where this time," Ben scratched his chin.

"None of your damn business!" he laughed.

"I don't know how you could treat women so crudely," Thomas sniped.

"Thomas I understand your pain...really I do but you shouldn't be so judgmental."

"In a certain respect our friend Thomas might be on point - you should consider settling down."

Addison grimaced. "Because you have - I'm not prepared to shackle myself to anyone like Jonathan or have my heart supposedly broken like Thomas."

"Unshackled my good friend..."

Charles returned with the drinks and Jonathan requested another glass for Addison.

"What you've finally had it completed?" Addison reacted surprised.

"Somewhat," Jonathan replied lifting his glass to his lips.

"Don't go spreading the word around. I'm sure Jonathan needs some time to recover," Ben said nudging Jonathan.

"Well I say let's get rid of the cheap drinks and order ourselves some fine whiskey!" Addison yelled cheerful.

"Hear! Hear!" They all shouted.

<<<<<<<<< 

Clara was gone and so was Celia if things didn't change she would be too. Jonathan was taking his time in returning home - which was both good and bad. He wasn't there to notice Clara's absence but then again she had to come up with an explanation if he were to ask about her. After lunch Amy retreated to her room - stretching out on her bed while Beatrice sat in a chair close to her.

"Again I say that you're not to breathe a word of Clara's departure to Dr. Campbell."

Beatrice understood it very well she didn't have to repeat herself. "Yes ma'am."

<<<<<<<<< 

My how time past quickly when you're socializing with great friends. They rarely got together because of their conflicting schedules but when they did have an opportunity sometimes it was hard to leave.

When he entered the gates there was joy in his heart or was it because he was a little tipsy - fully aware of his surroundings. Lawrence met him by the walkway.

"Good day Lawrence. How has it been around here?"

"Good day sir. It has been fairly quiet."

 

Henderson greeted him at the front door adding, "Dr. Campbell, will you be taking a late lunch?"

"Heaven's no Henderson. Earlier I ate at the club. Isn't it coming close to dinner time?" He took off his jacket, handing it to Henderson along with his hat, cane and gloves.

"A couple more hours sir..."

"There you see. I can wait."

 

When he caught sight of Celia his eyes lighted up to see this vision of loveliness coming towards him. Being this close to the finish made the outlook on his life much brighter than it had been in quite a while. As she came closer there was something in her eyes that told him all was not well.

"It's imperative that I speak to you," she implored.

"Of course...let's go to my study."

A better alternative - didn't want to run into Amy and Clara conversing in the parlor.

<<<< 

"Jo..." but her words died on her lips as his mouth claimed her own.

At first she was stunned but she quickly gave into the sensations that his tongue was causing her to experience - love, desire. It made her completely forget about what she was so desperate to tell him.

She moaned softly, allowing his tongue to delve deeper. His arms encircled her waist, hers around his neck but then he withdrew abruptly. Surprised she opened her eyes to find that his were still closed - his breathing shallow, trying to regain his composure.

He caressed her cheek. "At this moment I'm finding it very hard to keep my promise to you."

"After drinking whiskey no doubt," she smiled comfortably. Its bitter taste had invaded her mouth but she enjoyed the intrusion.

He smiled as well noting the gleam in her eyes. "My friends and I had lunch together and it got a bit away from us."

"But you're feeling alright otherwise."

"Definitely... I'm sorry what did you want to speak to me about?" He stroked his forehead.

In an instant it came back to her. "Yes...well... it's about your wife and her friend Clara. Jonathan I believe they've found out about us with Sara's help I'm afraid."

He was left speechless. Jonathan absorbed her words then studied her expression seriously - her face a mixture of sadness and fear. Celia said it so plainly - Amy was going behind his back enquiring about his personal affairs - speaking to Sara. She had gone too far. Now was the time to act.

There came a steady knocking on his door.

"Dr. Campbell..."

"Come in Henderson."

"A note for you sir..."

Henderson handed him a sealed white envelope with the word URGENT spelt out in bold lettering on its face.

"Another thing to worry about....," he muttered, frustrated.

He hoped that the message wasn't about his patient Mr. Gregg who was dealing with a mysterious illness that had kept him confined to bed for over a week. Through much prodding he had convinced the family to make use of some herbal treatments and it seemed to be working well.

He grabbed his letter opener, slicing away the top, pulling out the note which he began reading earnestly. He looked up and stared at Celia before rushing out of the room.

"What is it now?" Celia worried. He wasn't able to deal with their problem and it looked like he had a new one. "Is there ever going to be peace in this house?"

<<<<<<<<< 

"Henderson is Amos upstairs?"

"No Dr. Campbell he's out in the backyard."

"Doing what?!" Henderson stumbled over his response. "Never mind! Go get him quickly and I want you both to wait outside of Amy's room for further instructions."

"Yes sir."

Thereafter Jonathan bounded up the stairs. That note ignited a rage inside of him. This plotting by his wife had to end. No way was he going allow her to hurt his beloved.

"Open the damn door Amy! I know you're in there!"

Amy's heart skipped a beat as she lifted her head.

            

"I think he knows," Beatrice trembled.

"Shut up Beatrice," she whispered harshly.

 

Jonathan began pounding on the door. "Open the door before I break it down!"

"Just a moment!" She turned to Beatrice. "Beatrice I want you to stay calm. Do you hear me?"

"Y-yes ma'am" Amy pointed a finger at her in warning. Beatrice crept to a quiet place in the corner.

She smoothed out her hair and dress, adjusted her cap then opened the door.

 

"Took you long enough!" he growled.

"Well I was resting..."

"READ IT!" He stormed past, flinging the note at her. She began to read it silently.

 

Dr. Campbell,

In the past I'm sure others had voiced their concerns about your wife's indiscretions but now she has taken it a step further. She and one of her friend's one Ms. Clara Lancaster have been going around asking about your personal history. They implied that your housemaid Celia was causing you immense stress. I know everyone has a skeleton or two in their closet but your wife is unearthing yours.

 

Meanwhile Jonathan began hunting for her trunk.

This can't be! That Witch Sara! It had to be her who else could it be! She tore the paper to shreds. "That's what I think of that stupid note!"

"This is what I think of our stupid marriage!" Jonathan went to the shelf, tossing her clothes on the floor. "I want you gone!"

"Don't Jonathan..." She grabbed his arm. "You promised not to do this!"

"Let go of my sleeve!" But she wouldn't and he pushed her to the floor. She wailed.

"I'm still your wife! How could you do this?" she cried, rising slowly from the floor, gripping the edges of the vanity. "Did you ever love me? Or were you always in love with someone else?"

"Finally you begin to understand." He crept up behind her. "You're a fungus that I need to cut away from my flesh! I never loved you." He whispered in her ear, "Celia has always been my one true love. You hurt her - never. "

A horrified Amy spun around. "Bastard!"

"Ahhhh!" She scratched him across his left cheek.

"You're screaming now soon you'll be dead!"

Amy grabbed Beatrice's sewing scissors from atop the dresser and swung at him but this time he was prepared. He seized her wrist, squeezing her hand tightly until the scissors fell away.

"I HATE YOU!"

She tossed her head violently - using her feet to kick at him and teeth to bite at his hand. He didn't want to strike her but trying to control Amy was exhausting. His back was hitting hard against the dresser - knocking over perfumes and picture frames. Sweat poured down his face, stinging his injured cheek.

"HENDERSON! AMOS!" The two rushed in and were finally able to subdue her on the floor. "Bind her."

While Henderson held down the screaming Amy, Amos searched and found some strips of cloth to bind her feet, hands and mouth.

"W-What are you going... to do with... her sir?" Henderson asked breathless.

"All of us are going down to the bailiff." He coughed, wiping his brow.

"Sir, what about your injured face?" Beatrice asked, shakily coming out of her corner.

"Can't do anything about it right now..." He bent over and coughed again. That woman might be petite but she was a hellion. His entire body felt battered. "Amos, tell Lawrence to bring the carriage around."

<<<<<<<<< 

Downstairs Celia fretted about the strange noises she was hearing upstairs but she dared not interfere. Then Amy's bedroom door opened. It was a troubling display...a withdrawn Amy being carried down the stairs by Amos with Jonathan, Henderson and Beatrice walking solemnly behind. Jonathan gave her a dose of silver tonic to calm her nerves.  

What's wrong with Jonathan? Celia hastened to his side. The others pressed onward exiting through the front door.

Three finger-nailed scratches lined his cheek. "Jonathan you're hurt," she expressed, concerned, airily touching his cheek.   

"A mere scratch I'll take care of it when I return." He patted her hand and kissed it.

"Where are you going?"

"Down to the bailiff...Amy is going to be charge with a crime. It's going to take a long while," he sighed.

"May I go with you?"

"No Celia. It wouldn't be wise to take you to such a place." He kissed her lightly. "You and Sonia may go home."

She stepped back and watched him leave thankful that Jonathan wasn't hurt much worst.

<<<<<<<<< 

Since the kitchen was located at the back of the house Annabelle and Sonia didn't have a clue about what was going on until Celia informed them about what she had gathered.

Sonia was gleeful with Amy's demise. "Sorry bout Dr. Campbell but that witch deserve everything she got!"

"Long as Dr. Campbell alright then I'm not worried," Annabelle said.

"Celia finally we can take home some leftovers."

"Sonia I'm sure everyone will come back to eat."

"But Ms. Annabelle Amy's friend..."

Celia hardly paid attention to the bantering - her mind was ill at ease. Today her heart had a real scare. Jonathan may have downplayed the ordeal but she knew more went on upstairs than he was letting on. "No matter everything is alright for now."

<<<<<<<<< 

Inspector Davies' office was small, hot and it needed a proper dusting. Jonathan sat across from him - drained, famished, aching. His body was begging for a warm bath and his stomach a hearty meal.

"How much longer is this going to take Inspector?" he complained. They had already been there for three hours.

Inspector Davies wide eyes regarded him before adjusted his collar. He was a good representation of the Bay's constabulary - forthright, stiff upper lip, duty to God and Queen. He also managed to assist Dr. Campbell in attended to his wound. "Dr. Campbell we must do proper investigation and take precise statements." Jonathan watched as he dipped his quill and wrote briskly. "We're finished here. All I need is your signature." He passed the document and the quill over to him.

"Is that all you need Inspector?" he asked, quizzically, signing the document.

"Your wife is entitled to a fair hearing but given that we have a backlog of cases who knows when that may be. We'll send word when the trial date is set."

"Thanks Inspector Davies" Jonathan stood giving him a firm handshake. "Let's get one thing straight she is no longer my wife."

"Of course Dr. Campbell you are correct."

<<<<

It was good to walk out from Her Majesty's Prison - fresh air. After they brought Amy inside she was taken away and he never saw her again - not that he cared.

His staff was outside waiting patiently. They too were tired and hungry.

"Dr. Campbell, what are Amos and I going to do now?"

Beatrice had a legitimate question given the circumstance.

"I haven't decided as yet but if you both want to leave I'll find your employment. This evening has been tiresome to speak about these things now. Let's go home."

<<<<<<<<< 

Her uneasiness had kept her mind and body restless. On the other hand Joshua had found his sleep rather quickly which was good. A pity that Lydia was right there on settee sitting alongside - no peace at this house either but maybe the baby was interrupting her sleep Celia thought. She didn't want to get into any heated discussions with her so she kept quiet.

"Heard Dr. Campbell wife in jail. Everyone say she gone crazy. I wonder why?"

"Don't know," was all Celia said.

 

Knock...Knock

"Who could that be?"

Celia! Celia!

She knew that voice - Jonathan. She got up and opened the door happily. The look on his face was a mixture of joy and anticipation.

"Who is it Celia?"

But Celia couldn't respond because Jonathan lips were kissing her passionately.

"I love you. Can't wait anymore come with me Celia...you and Joshua... It's time for our family to finally be together."

 

user posted image

 

"Dr. Campbell Celia not going nowhere!"

Chapter 14 by chocolate470
Who was this interloper? Judging her malcontent she must be a close relative of Celia or her husband. 

 

Lydia was unyielding in her stance between the would-be lovers. She stood at the doorway with arms folded glaring at Jonathan.

 

“Who are you to speak on Celia’s behalf?” Jonathan asked angrily.

 

“My oldest sister Lydia who needs to mind her own business,” Celia replied vexed.

“Older sister she may be but what right does she have to interfere.”

 

“Dr. Campbell, you know Celia married.”

 

“Married to a man she doesn’t love.”

 

“Married to a man who is out there, trying hard to take care of his family. He don’t have a lot of money like you but he have love.”

 

“I have love! It’s Celia’s life! It’s her decision!”

 

“It not only her life. She have her husband and his son.”

 

“My son!” he corrected. “I can make her happy. I can give her everything she needs including love.”

 

“Love Humph…” Lydia voiced her displeasure. “Everything she needs is right here. So your wife went crazy and you come to steal my sister.”

 

“My affairs are none of your concern,” he warned.

 

Celia moved away exhausted. They were arguing as if she wasn’t even there and their constant yelling was providing late night and early morning chatter for the neighbors. Not that it would help much but she wanted to draw them inside.

 

“Celia…” He tried reaching out to her. His eyes scanned the room. Inside of the house was smaller than he envisioned. Where did Celia and Joshua sleep? How many people actually dwelled in this house? More than ever he was resolved that his family shouldn’t spend another night is this place. “Celia I have the means to take care of our family. Come with me.”

 

“Joseph may not have much but remember he was there for you,” Lydia countered.

 

Jonathan couldn’t counteract that argument. It was a reminder of the biggest failure in his life. The one area where Joseph had the best defense against any line of reasoning he may pose. Clearly Celia was giving it much thought.

 

“I know Lydia…I know…,” she agreed.

 

“You see Dr. Campbell my sister has made up her mind to stay.” Lydia smiled with confidence.

 

Not for a moment could he accept Lydia’s observation. He strode towards her asking, “Did we willing walk away from each other?”

 

She shifted her eyes then stared back at him. Beautiful brown eyes glistening with tears – he yearned to be her comfort. “No...” 

 

“If you had told me about the baby…,” he murmured, clasping her chin

 

“He couldn’t do nothing,” Lydia growled. “Mr. Campbell had him trapped. Everybody know that.”

 

“For heaven’s sake would you please be quiet!” she yelled after her.

 

“This is our house not his! I’m going to wake up mama,” she said, marching away.

 <<<  

“It’s better that you leave. We shouldn’t be…”

 

He squeezed her hands. “I’m never going to leave you again.”

 

“Just because you’re unattached doesn’t mean that I can walk away from my husband.”

Her tears flowed and he wiped them away. She closed her eyes, pursing her lips, trying to make it stop but it wouldn’t. They were both hurting. Why did it hurt so much to be with the person you love? 

“How can you ask me to walk away from you again…from our son... If you asked me to go down on my knees I would…but don’t ask me to leave your side because it will haunt me for the rest of my days.” 

 

“Why must it be now?” she moaned. “Why can’t you wait until he returns?”

 

Their foreheads touched. “Wait another week pretending that I don’t want to be with you, I can’t hold you in my arms; saying how much I love you. You and Joshua belong with me.”

  

“Good evening Dr. Campbell. What are you doing to my daughter?” Abigail asked, drawing her shawl closer. Lydia stood behind expecting much from her mother’s appearance.

 

“Good evening Mrs…” He hesitated as he lifted his head.

 

“Ms. Abigail...”

 

She heard Joshua stirring and excused herself. Jonathan knew he was breaking through but he had to let her go.

 

“Mrs. Abigail I’m not doing anything horrible to your daughter. I love her. I love my son. They are my family,” he replied plainly.

 

“But you are still a married man and so is my daughter.”

 

“Pardon me madam but I’m no longer married.” He cleared his throat.

 

“I’m sorry. I also see that you were hurt.” She noticed the redness and the marks on his face.

 

“Mere scratches…not anything to worry about.”

 

Lydia grew tired of the small talk. “Mama, tell him to go. He don’t belong here. He wants to take Celia away.”

 

“My daughter is right Dr. Campbell you should leave. Even though your circumstances have changed my daughter’s hasn’t. Her husband is away at sea working very hard to support his family. Coming around, creating a distraction isn’t wise.”

 

Jonathan scratched his forehead. “Madam until Celia tells me to leave then I won’t go.”

 

Abigail understood that he was very resolute. “Celia!”

 

“Yes mama…”

 

“Come out here child.” Celia appeared, patting Joshua’s back lightly. “Time for you to tell Dr. Campbell that he must go.”

 

All of them were looking directly at her awaiting her decision on the matter but it wasn’t that simple. From the day that Mr. Campbell banished her from the estate and took away her livelihood it has never been easy. Stay with her husband – Leave with Jonathan. Did it matter which man she chose? Someone is going to be hurt regardless.

 

She took a deep breath. “Since Joshua’s conception I’ve always tried my best to provide for him no matter the consequences. On many occasions I’ve accepted your advice mama and did what I could.”

 

“Jonathan, my love I thought I’d lost you forever…”

 

“But you haven’t – I’m right here…”

 

“Let me finish… You know the way I feel about you. Throughout these agonizing years those emotions have never changed. Our son keeps you alive in my heart.”

 

“Joseph sees Joshua as his own son.”

 

“Yes mama. Joshua will always be a part of his life but is it fair to Joseph that I can’t love him in the same way. Jonathan has come back for me mama. My unending love has returned to me. ”

 

“Celia, you making a big mistake!” Lydia yelled, pointing at her. Abigail stood speechless.

 

Jonathan embraced his family. “I love you Celia.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

They started kissing but Joshua interrupted their bliss with his crying. She passed him over to Jonathan who comforted him.

 

Lydia wanted to scream. “After everything he has done for you – Joseph don’t deserve this,” Lydia quarreled. “If it hadn’t been for Joseph where would you be? Where would all of us be?”

 

“For once in my life I deserve to be happy.”

 

“Joseph didn’t make you happy? ”

 

She didn’t want to argue with her sister anymore and went to her room to pack their few possessions. 

 

“I’m going to get someone to talk some sense into Celia cause she lost all her senses.”

 

“Lydia, don’t go anywhere.” Abigail grabbed her arm. “Celia is old enough to make her own decisions.”

 

“But mama, Celia wrong!”

 

“Why don’t you stop interfering in your sister’s life? You have one of your own that you should be concerned about,” Jonathan observed.

 

Lydia held her peace. It irked her that she couldn’t give Dr. Campbell a good trouncing. Stomping her feet she went off to bed. At the same time Celia returned.

 

“Are you ready to leave?”

 

“Almost…Mama, I know that I’ve disappointed you.”

 

“I’m just surprised by your decision. Don’t know what going to happen when Joseph come back.”

 

“How can I turn him away? Few of us get that opportunity to be with that special person that can make your life feel complete.”

 

Abigail embraced her tightly. “You’re my daughter and even if we don’t agree I still wish you the best.”

 

“Thanks mama…” but inside she knew this was probably her last evening in this house.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Celia retreated to her side of the carriage leaving Jonathan to cradle the sleeping Joshua. Her mood had changed drastically – part of her self was being left behind in the she called home. She realized that her mother wouldn’t be that constant presence in her life anymore. Jonathan didn’t know what to say…how to help her.

 

“I believe that I was misled.”

 

“Did I?” he questioned lighthearted. “How could I mislead someone whose mind was already decided?”

 

Indeed it was a true statement. She wondered when had it being decided – was it their evening at his property or was it the first time they saw each other again. He stroked her hair and she returned a quick smile before turning her gaze to the fleeting road.

 <<<  

“Dr. Campbell… Good evening Ms. Celia…”

 

“Good evening Mr. Henderson.”

 

He gave a lit candle to Celia then left.

 

“I’ll take Joshua to bed.”

 

There was no response from his side. He handed over Joshua and regarded her as she climbed the stairs. It was like she was with him and she wasn’t. Why had she come? He felt like a spurned lover. Maybe he had expected too much – they should be interacting with one another not behaving like strangers. Sitting on the verandah was the best place to be not because he wanted to but he had to leave her alone.

 <<< 

Didn’t I want to come? Don’t I want to be with him? She pondered in the vacated guest room. Joshua looked so tiny in the huge bed. Indeed Jonathan had so much to offer them both financially and emotionally. It wasn’t quite right because Joseph was not only owed her gratitude but also an explanation before she accepted Jonathan’s proposal.

 

“Celia you’re here and look at what you’ve done – distancing yourself from the man you claim to love most in this world,” she admonished herself.

 

“A short while ago he was very elated but now he seems lost – unclear of what he should do to help me. I need to speak to him immediately.”

 <<<<<<<<  

“You’re outside. I’d thought...”

 

“She’s here,” he replied in an exasperated tone, standing.

 

“No happy ending I suppose.”

 

“Not as yet…but I’m not giving up that easily.” His fingers plowed through his hair. “As long as I live I’ll never understand the moods of women.”

 

Annabelle smirked. “Lord, help me understand men’s impatience. Just because you have emerged from your darkness doesn’t mean she has.”

 

“But I’m her beacon!” he exclaimed.

 

What a metaphor. “Celia has a conscious.”

 

“Then she shouldn’t have come.”

 

“The love of her live beseeching her to come away with him…How many of us get to experience that romanticism. I dare you to go and tell her to go back home.”

 

“You know that’s not I want.”

 

“Then bear the mood,” she replied with a wry smile then proceeded to walk away.

 

Three times he banged his palms against the verandah’s railing before going back to his seat.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Annabelle came across a nervous Celia drifting down the stairs.

 

“Celia…”

 

“Ms. Annabelle…” Guilt kept her frozen. She hadn’t expected to see Annabelle.

 

“Jonathan is on the verandah waiting for you. I’ll see to Joshua for the rest of the evening,” she smiled.

 

“Thank you,” Celia managed to respond.

 

Jonathan always confided to Annabelle but nonetheless Celia felt ill-at-ease around her.

 <<<<<<<<<  

She walked to where he was but Jonathan was giving her a cold reception.

 

“Joshua sleeping well,” he asked without facing her.

 

“Comfortably… He is in capable hands for the rest of the evening.”

 

“That’s good to note,” he returned but he kept his head straightforward.

 

Maybe if she sat down next to him…”You don’t want to speak with me?”

 

“After all of this evening’s events I find that I’m very tired,” he said, leaning his head away from her.

 

She snuggled in closer. Her eyes scanned his cheek. There was some redness around the scratches. She kissed it tenderly while stroking along his arm. “Should I be begging for your forgiveness?” He could never say that he was unaffected by this small gesture – a part of his anatomy was already awakening.

 

She continued trailing soft kisses from his cheek to the contour of his neck. “Should I? Please…forgive…me.” He wanted to speak but words failed him. All that came out was a pleasurable sigh. But she stopped immediately and laid her head on his shoulders.

 

He stood, turned around and saw a twinkle in her eyes. “You’re teasing me.” A sly smile spread across his lips. She did a damn good job of it too.

 

“You’ve done it to me how many times?”

 

“Enough for you to do the same to me...Celia it hurts when you won’t speak to me.”

 

“A bad habit that I need to break…I promise you that whenever something is on my conscious I’ll speak to you. I’ve missed you so much.”

 

“And I’ve missed you.”

 

This thing between them was rekindling. A subtle moistening of his lips and the gleam in his eyes caused shivers to travel through her entire body. They hadn’t been together for so long – only in her dreams and his.

 

“What are you waiting for?”

 

“For you to come to me…come to me,” he said in that low, seductive voice.

 

She leapt into his arms – lips pressed together, arms lovingly stroking each other but they wanted so much more. Not out here but upstairs…in his room...on his bed. He lifted her up and carried her away.

 <<<  

The window was opened and a lone candle stood lighted on the dresser. They stretched out on his bed, kissing feverishly both overtaken by their innermost burning desires to claim one another. Jonathan lied between her legs; the weight of his shaft pressed up against her stomach – considerably lengthy and rigid. She heard her heart beating and breath accelerated.

 

“My love you’ve changed much since last we were together,” he whispered by her ear.

 

“Are these changes very pleasing to you?” she asked stealthily.

 

“Very… kissing her swollen lips Very…fingers began stroking deep inside of her Pleasing.”

 

“Hmmm…”

 

Amazing how bearing his son had enhanced every curve – his hands and lips wanted to explore each one but just for little while longer. The movement of his fingers quickened and then…

 

“Ahhh…” she climaxed. This time he kissed her gently.

 

The evening was far from over and her glazed eyes begged for more of his love. “I need you,” she said breathlessly and touched the tip of his shaft finding it moist. He groaned.

 

“You’ll scream my name…”

 

“I’ve wanted to do that for a longtime,” she licked her lips. He eased his way inside of her little by little. “JO…DAMN!” She gripped and regripped the sheet feeling herself being stretched beyond her limits.

 

“Breathe…relax…” She relaxed and he filled her. “My love you’re so beautiful.”

 

“And you are magnificent…OH!” His increasing thrusts hurt so damn good. “Always…love you…”

 

The once cool room was steaming. Cries of pleasure and the smell of lust permeated the air. He was reaching the heart of her and he plunged in deeper. Her walls closed in around his shaft. “JONATHAN!” …and she was spent – drained of everything. He soon followed collapsing on top of her. Both had to take a moment to regain normal breathing.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Intertwined with each other Celia’s mind and heart concentrating on one man – Jonathan.

 

 “Now I consider that the best intimate moment of my life,” he said, breaking the silence.

 

“Well I consider it a close second.”

 

He nipped at her neck causing her to giggle. “There’s no other night that comes close to what we just experienced.”

 

“But there was one other. The night Joshua was conceived.”

 

“The night Joshua was conceived.” he iterated.

 

“A warm evening…my worrying about Mrs. Bennington…”

 

“That night…Oh that night,” he chuckled. “Other nights lay ahead to create new memories.”

 

“As long as it’s you and no one else...”

 

They made love two more times until their bodies surrendered to repose.

 <<<<<<<<<  

The first spring shower and his eyes sprung open; frightened by a nightmare. It was only a dream because here she was spooned against his body. Immediately his thoughts turned to something different. He trailed a hand up and down her thigh.

 

“MmHmm…” She shifted slightly.

 

“One more time until the morning’s light.”

 

“One more…”

 <<<<  

“I love you.” …were the last words that past his lips.

 

He fell asleep but she stayed awake, listening to his heart beating, light snoring. By no means had last night marked the end of their journey. Many more obstacles lied ahead but as long as they shared a commitment these obstacles could be withstood together.

 

The grandfather clock downstairs chimed 4:00 a.m. Time to get up and attend to her regular needs as well as Joshua’s. Carefully she untangled his arm from around her waist and left him with a parting kiss. She realized how sore she was but she had to bear it. She hoped she wouldn’t walk crookedly.

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Wake up!”

 

“Shake him again Joshua…Tell your papa to wake up.”

 

“Wake up!”

 

His little nudges made him reluctantly start to awaken. “Hmmm…what time is it?” He stretched.

 

“Time for you to rise and get prepared for work…”

 

“Must I?” His eyes fluttered open. “Good morning my love and of course my other heart…” He hoisted Joshua high into the air which made him squeal delightfully.

 

“This is not the day to be far away from my family.”

 

“But you are going,” she pronounced.

 

“Joshua, do you believe that your father should go into work today?” Joshua mimicked his father shaking his head back and forth.

 

Her eyes pleaded. “Jonathan those patients need you more than we do. You and the other physicians provide a quality of care that they may otherwise never enjoy.”

 

He was aware that all of their patients were based on referrals from other physicians or the well meaning benefactors of the infirmary. “Alright a long speech is unnecessary.” She smacked him playfully. He pulled her into his arms kissing her. “There’s always more where that came from.”

 

Celia’s body temperature rose to another level. “Mr. Henderson is outside waiting to assist you,” she said quickly, “Remember to cover thy naked form.”  

    

“Humph…what a choice of words… Are you jealous of others seeing what is already yours? Maybe you want to assist me from now on?” He winked.

 

“Me…jealous…,” she smiled lifting her son. “Mr. Henderson handles that duty perfectly. Besides if I were to assist you when will we ever leave this room…my love?”

 

“I see your point. We do have our…obligations.” He fell back on the bed laughing.

 

It was the happiest he had felt in a long while. He also remembered that there was another who would try to take away his happiness. Not this time father.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Breakfast didn’t turn out to be a quiet affair.

 

“Celia you’re not my housemaid anymore.”

 

“What am I suppose to do while you are away?”

 

“Take care of our son.” Joshua was in his mother’s arms, drinking a bottle of milk. “For the time being I’ve divvied your duties between Ms. Beatrice and Amos”

 

Taking care of Joshua wasn’t enough for her. She had to work hard throughout her life and now he was expecting her to do the opposite. She slumped in her chair, looking very disappointed. Jonathan set his fork aside, using the napkin to wipe the sides of his mouth.

 

“Celia we’re together now.”

 

“My mind and my way of carrying myself cannot change that instantly. All this is new to me and I feel very strange in this new role. I don’t want the other servants being disdainful towards me.”

 

“I’ve already spoken with most of them and they understand the situation.”

 

“Still I want to do more,” she insisted.

 

He paused. “How about I train you as my assistant?”

 

The ladies of the Bay will be so thrilled. “Are you sure?”

 

“You are a remarkable woman and why wouldn’t I want to train you…if we can get past the first lesson,” he said wryly, downing his tea.

 

“Oh Jonathan…”

 

“I must away…duty calls… so says my beloved.”

 

“Have a great day my love.”

 

He kissed them goodbye.

 <<<<<<<<< 

Take care of his son. The huge backyard garden was the perfect place. She could keep an eye on Joshua doing what most boys do – running, flipping, jumping, exploring. Although most of the early morning rain had dissipated Joshua was sure to find a puddle or two to play in.

 

The rooms had to be changed; she had to buy cloth to sew new dresses and adjust her usual behaviors. It all seemed too fast…too soon. She was still married yet was starting to create a new life with someone else.

 

Strange that Sonia hadn’t paid her a visit.

 

 “You’re spending all day in the garden Mrs. Campbell?” Sonia asked sarcastically.

 

She smiled turning around. “I don’t have that title as yet.”

 

“Just so you know Lydia told me how you ran off with Dr. Campbell. It wasn’t a surprise. That man couldn’t keep his eyes or hands off you.” You couldn’t get anything past Sonia. “I think she believes that I can talk some sense into you.”

 

“So you came out here to talk some sense into me?”

 

“No… Joseph is no saint – far from it.”

 

“I never said he was a saint but he is a very good man.”

 

“Your sister is very evil. The gossip is that her baby is Joseph’s.”

 

A look of disbelief crossed her face. “No Sonia….no…That child belong to David.”

 

“Look I need to get back to the kitchen. I just wanted to tell you because I don’t want you to feel bad.”

 

Even if what she intimated was true that didn’t give her cause to rejoice. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Also she wasn’t given Joseph the love that a husband expects from his wife. But of all the women within their community why did he need to choose Lydia. She is always quick to defend him but she was defending their marriage not the opposite.

 

Sonia meant well but that type of behavior wasn’t in Joseph’s nature.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Pennsylvania Port… 

Joseph and most of the black crew chose not to disembark from the ship. With the civil war raging being in Pennsylvania meant they had to be on their guard. On one of his breaks he went in search of the captain but found that he wasn’t at the bridge of the ship. He spied him on the second level of the ship speaking to a new passenger – a familiar face.

 

He waited until he returned to question him.

 

“Captain Cummins who that man you were talking to?”

 

“One Mr. Andrew Campbell…He was making inquiries about the ship’s next port of call. You know him personally?”

 

“I know of him,” Joseph responded warily. “Are we sailing home tomorrow?”

 

“We set sail tonight. I’m sure you’ll be happy to spend some time with your family.”

 

“Yes to see Celia and our son. I’m very happy.” 
Chapter 15 by chocolate470

“Can’t believe you actually went to work! Ben exclaimed.

 

All three were standing outside on the verandah.

 

Earlier Ben and Addison had arrived at his residence shortly after lunchtime. Upon learning that he wasn’t home they left promising to return.

 

“Damn look at your face!” Ben gave it a thorough examination, holding his chin.

 

“Don’t touch it,” he said pushing aside his hand. “Don’t know where your hand has been lately,” Jonathan grinned.

 

“Well I actually know where your face has been,” Ben said toppling his hat. Jonathan bent down to retrieve it.

 

“I’ll wager that he’s going to wear it like a badge of honor – having conquered the she-devil.”

 

“That’s not a bad idea.” They shared a small laugh. “Maybe I should charge a fee for viewing.”

 

“And afterwards donate the money to some charity…”

 

Ben wasn’t amused. “Gentlemen, this is not particularly funny. The gossipmongers are saying that you were almost killed. Is this true?”

 

“Nothing of the sort… only these scratches and a few other bruises...”

 

“Thankfully,” Ben sighed.

 

“Where’s Thomas? I’d expected the three musketeers.”

 

“After the time we spent together he has disappeared…No one has seen or heard from him,” he replied soberly.

 

Jonathan became concerned. “Ben, you don’t believe?”

 

“No,” Addison interjected. “Sometimes you two behave like a couple of mother hens. Thomas needs to be alone right now….That’s All!” He lighted a cigar.

 

“And how would you know?”

 

“Perhaps he’s right,” Jonathan sighed. “But I’m grateful to you both for this unexpected visit.”

 

“Unexpected?” Ben immediately questioned. “We’re your friends and were worried about your well-being.”

 

“Ben I do believe that Jonathan means to be rid of us. We haven’t been invited inside,” he observed.

 

“I’ve just returned from a long day at the Infirmary. I haven’t even entered past my front door.”

 

“Healing the sick…raising the dead… Have the Sisters been very attentive?” Addison asked.

 

Jonathan smiled sheepishly. “It’s not the attention that I’m after,” he replied calmly yet his mind drifted.

 

“You rascal…Tell us…Who is she?”

 

A light bulb went off and Ben stared at Jonathan momentarily. You didn’t. “Addison we must leave. Clearly Jonathan needs his rest.”

 

“He does look awful. You need to take it easy for that lady friend of yours.”

 

“Get out of here!” Jonathan teased.

 

Addison went off laughing but Ben added some last words. “May I assume that you have claimed your prize?”

 

Jonathan nodded his head and smiled politely. “Celia is not a prize. She’s the love of my life. When the time is right she’ll be introduced.”

 

“I’ll be awaiting the pleasure,” he said, bidding him adieu.

 

<<<<<<<<<  

After the usual greeting he handed Henderson the outer garbs for storage.

 

“Who is this?” An excited Joshua came running into his arms.

 

“I’ve missed you.” He kissed his forehead. He smelled like he’d just taken a bath.

 

“I miss you,” he responded which pleased his heart.

 

“Good day Dr. Campbell.”

 

“Good day Ms. Beatrice. Where’s my w-w…where’s Celia.”

 

“She’s upstairs…looking at the rooms.”

 

Joshua’s little hands pounded his chest wanting attention. “I play outside.”

 

“What did you do outside?”

 

“Run.”

 

“Hope you didn’t misbehave? Your poor mother must be very tired.” Joshua shook his head.

 

“No…then where is she?” Joshua’s small index finger pointed upstairs. Jonathan smiled saying, “Ms. Beatrice I’ll see to him for a little while before going upstairs. Tell Amos to have my bath ready at the usual time.”

 

“Very well Dr. Campbell.”

<<<  

Indeed Celia was upstairs surveying the rooms. The guest bedroom would be furnished for her son with the basic small bed, chairs and table. Jonathan was sure to stock it with other things that carry a boys’ fancy. However when it came to Amy’s old room she was wary.

 

Beatrice and Amos had spent most of the day clearing and carting way Amy’s personal items. The room was stripped bare leaving behind the dresser, shelf, bed and two chairs. She had an ominous feeling of Amy’s presence lurking somewhere in the shadows. Could she in good conscious stay in this room?

 

“As the Lady of the House I should stay in this room. Why be uncomfortable about someone who isn’t here anymore.”

 

“Talking to yourself?”

 

Celia caught her breath. “Sonia…”

 

Annabelle had given her another short break. She took a seat at the edge of the bed.

 

“Thinking bout everything at once now that things changed?”

 

“And feeling very foolish... I know what to do but... This has never been my life and…,” her voice trailed off.

 

“And it not like you totally free.”

 

“That thing you told me bout Joseph and Lydia… It not something he would do.”

 

“If you say so. But if you really want to know just ask him when he comes back,” she replied nonchalantly.

 

Celia blinked. “I’ve lost the right to question his behavior…look at my own.”

 

“Then don’t ask him,” she shrugged.

 

“I don’t think Joseph will let me go so easily,” she blurted.

 

“Jonathan can take care of it if he doesn’t.”

 

Sonia’s pronouncement reminded Celia that as an English gentleman Jonathan could do just that. All she needed to do was apprise him of the situation – she hoped she didn’t need to do so. Then there was another complication.

 

“Poor Joshua will be torn between his two fathers…”

 

“Celia, stop worrying. Ask yourself… Did you do the right thing? Do you want to spend the rest of your life with Jonathan?”

 

“Yes I want to spend my life with him. I love him with all my heart.”

 

“Then think bout that instead of letting these other things get in the way. You thought you’ll never see him again and look what happen. I believe you and Jonathan meant to be together.”

 

Hearing Sonia say it so definitively made her believe it too. “We are meant to be together.”

 

But you and me different now Celia I’m not jealous,” she said, standing.

 

“I’m happy to hear that.”

 

“Not everyone gets to be with the man they love. I see how he loves you and Joshua.”

 

“We love him too.” They hugged. “Almost thought you want to work somewhere else...”

 

“And give up good wages, good food and Amos,” she giggled. “I’m staying put.”

  

<<<<<<<<<  

The Study… 

Here is my handsome little boy connecting with his father. Two years of your life lost to me.

 

He had Joshua sitting on edge of his desk, feet dangling.  

 

“Do you know your father is a storyteller?” Joshua’s bright, brown eyes stared at him, curious. “Yes indeed but unfortunately I’m not very good at telling children’s stories,” he sighed, lifting him off the desk. “I’ll read you one from my library.”   

 

“Here we go The Ugly Duckling. A classic tale by Hans Christian…”

 

“I want story. I want story,” he said, leaping up and down.

 

“Alright…hold on…I’ll read it to you.”

 

He lifted him on his lap and began reading…

Once upon a time down on an old farm, lived a duck family, and Mother Duck had been sitting on a clutch of new eggs. One nice morning, the eggs hatched and out popped six chirpy ducklings. But one egg was bigger than the rest, and it didn't hatch. Mother Duck couldn't recall laying that seventh egg. How did it get there? TOCK! TOCK! The little prisoner was pecking inside his shell… 

<<<<<<<<<  

For a brief time he stood by the doorway delighting in her beauty. He loved her so much and was thankful for the opportunity to reclaim their love. 

 

He crept up behind her, whispering. “Making plans for your new room?”

 

“My love.” she spun around, greeting him with a sweet kiss. “How was your day?”

 

“Normal flow of patients with the added sympathizers...,” he boasted.

 

“Humph surely you most have enjoyed the attention. I hope you didn’t take advantage.”

 

He wanted to take advantage…of her. “But I missed this more…” He pulled her into a lingering kiss that left her breathless. “Now I’m at my happiest. What plans do you have for this room?”

 

“I-I…not much… It’s merely a bedroom after all.”

 

“And you won’t be necessarily sleeping in this bed.”

 

“Oh I see,” her eyes flirted. “So my evenings will be spent wrapped up in your arms.” Her arms encircled his neck.

 

“So will your early mornings…”

 

“Hmmm…”  kiss  “…sounds wonderful. I hope you haven’t forgotten how early my mornings are.”

 

“You could at least grant me another hour before hastening away.”

 

“Certainly…”

  

“Dr. Campbell, your bath is ready.”  They heard Amos announce from outside the doorway.

 

“Perfect timing...”

 

“See you at dinner,” she teased.

 

He held her waist. “Where are you going?”

 

“To do as you’ve instructed – take care of our son.”

 

“Joshua is in very capable hands. My love I’m in desperate need of your attention.” His eyes pleaded.

 

“We’re going to be late for dinner,” she warned.

 

“Dinner can wait but I can’t…,” he whispered, kissing her.

 <<<<<<<<<  

After an exhilarating high courtesy of Jonathan’s expert stimulation… she edged forward. Why? Because he told her to do so – time to satisfy his own yearning to be inside her.

 

She closed her eyes; her love center pulsating with anticipation. She sucked hard on her swollen lips.

The heightened sound of dripping water signaled his approach. His hands slowly glided up her thighs then squeezed her tight derriere. 

“I adore you…,” he said as his tongue traced up her spine. He penetrated.

 

“Ohhh…” Her countenance glowed – ecstatic that her center easily accommodated his size this time around. “Oh my love...,” she exhaled.

 

At first he was very deliberate, listening to her moans of pleasure, fondling her breasts…becoming lost in the moment.

 

“Please… I need more of you,” her lips quivered.

 

“Your wish is my command.”

 

He lifted his body thrusting deeper into her tender folds. “Yes my love…” With her body being pulled up and down his shaft her fingers clung to the sides of the tub.

 

Gratifying shrieks of pleasure echoed through the room. She fell back against his chest – both breathing heavily.

 

The dinner bell sounded.

 

“Do you hear that sound?”

 

“What sound?” He asked, gently kissing her. He wasn’t quite ready to let her go.

 

<<<<<<<<<  

45 minutes later they strolled through the dining room doors arm in arm.

 

Their conversation at dinner was dominated by Celia’s recollection of her full day with Joshua especially when she couldn’t prevent him from jumping into that muddy puddle.

 

“He was muddied from his head to his feet. Then he stood staring at my horrified face…laughing. And you know what your son did?”

 

“Now he’s my son. What did he do?” The whole scene cracked him up.

 

“He ran and there I was chasing after him around and around the garden. Finally he stopped. He actually felt sorry for his poor mother who couldn’t catch him,” she chuckled.

 

Jonathan almost choked on his wine. “That’s my son.”

 

“Sometimes he changes his demeanor. I believe part of him misses playing with his cousins but knowing my sister…”

 

“That sister of yours …,” expressing bitterness... He could only imagine what Celia had to endure on a daily basis.

 

Suddenly they heard Joshua’s loud cries coming from just outside the room. A flustered Beatrice burst into the room. He wiggled free from her arms, running to his mother.

 

“Mama…mama…,” he cried. She lifted him to her shoulder.

 

“He kept on crying and wouldn’t stop Ms. Celia…”

 

“There, there,” she said, patting his back. He managed to quiet down. “I have him now…Thank you Ms. Beatrice. Everything’s alright. You may go.”

 

“Thank you Ms. Celia. Good evening everyone.”

 

“Good evening Ms. Beatrice.”

 <<<  

“There go my plans for this evening,” Jonathan chuckled.

 

“Naughty Dr. Campbell. I guess I’ll be sleeping in my room…”

 

He lifted an eyebrow. “Not a chance…I don’t mind sharing you with our son,” he smiled.

 <<<<<<<<<  

In a tiny bedroom behind the captain’s quarters Joseph and Miriam found a place where they could meet whenever they had the time to do so. Tonight she was apprehensive about returning to the Bay. It had only been a few days since they’ve been together maybe he would want to rekindle what had been lost with his wife.

 

He was lying on his stomach while she stroked along his back.

 

“What you doing when you get home?”

 

“Hug my wife and play with my son,” he said plainly. She turned away, now resting on her back. “What will you do?”

 

“Stay on the ship. No sense going home – nothing there for me. Good time to give the rooms a proper cleaning,” she sighed.

 

“What do you do with the money you earn?”

 

“Save it up for my old age…if I get there.”`

 

Joseph lifted his head and stared at her. “I hate when you talk like you have no future for yourself.”

 

“Look at my future Joseph. I have no real husband – no children.”

 

“A beautiful woman like you…” He caressed her face.

 

“Beauty lasts for a little while Joseph. A good man always looks beyond a pretty face. When your body gets old and tired you know he’ll stay.”

Miriam’s words always had a way of tugging on his heart strings. He was able to speak to her unlike any other woman that had been in his life. He felt compelled to protect her and be there for her. Could he be falling in love for the second time? 

<<<<<<<<<  

 user posted image

 

On the deck Andrew stood watching the cloud of cigarette smoke floating above him. He flicked a bit of ash over the side and took another draw; the cigarette glowed between his fingers. Cigarette He was a man accustomed to fine cigars but circumstances do change. A full moon and the dark sea were better company than any man.

 

He never dreamed of returning to the Bay at this time. That spineless son of his suddenly grew a backbone and betrayed him when he married that silly girl Amy. He had positioned himself to be welcomed into James Brodie’s circle of affluent associates. Now there was an opportunity to amass wealth, respect and make political gains. Jonathan’s birth would have finally paid off but all he did was cause irreparable damage to his reputation.

 

“Bloody Hell!” He took a long puff before exhaling.

Wasn’t his son under his thumb? The only time he exhibited any sort of disobedience was when he was pining over that black sorceress Celia. He had to squash that little fling permanently. But sending him off to England might have been a huge error in judgment. Underestimating his love for the witch was another. His marriage is a farce – retribution against him for Celia’s dismissal. But how could he love such a thing that scrub the floors and emptied out the chamber pots? This was Ann’s fault for indulging the boy! 

His wife Ann was his polar opposite in many respects. She was sweet, charming and caring while he was withdrawn, selfish and did whatever was needed to hold on to his wealth. After three miscarriages she didn’t believe that she would be able to bear children. Ergo Jonathan became her miracle child.   

The finished cigarette was discarded. He took out a gold case from his breast pocket and retrieved another. He placed the unlit cigarette between his teeth.

 

Andrew was in trouble. Gambling debts had cost him much of his fortune and his health was failing. He needed finances for a new business venture. He would ask James Brodie but long ago the gentleman had washed his hands of him. The lone option was his wealthy, physician son. He hoped he didn’t come across Sara who thinks she’s smarter than everyone and wasn’t. She shared a part of the blame for not being graceful enough to capture his son’s interest. Charm and elegance wasn’t in a beast like her.

Friday morning the ship would reach the Bay’s port. A more humble Andrew Campbell had to disembark and approach his son. It was going to be difficult. Curse you Jonathan if you don’t assist me.

<<<<<<<<<  

He listened intently as she hummed an unfamiliar tune. All three were on his bed – Celia lying on her back with Joshua cradled in her arms, Jonathan snuggled beside them. Noticing that Joshua had fallen asleep, she placed him in the center of the bed.  

 

“What was that tune?” He asked, softly. “I enjoyed it very much.”

 

“My mother has always hummed that tune to us before we went to sleep”

 

He recalled the strain on her mother’s face when Celia made her decision.

 

“I hope that your relationship with her hasn’t changed greatly because of us.”

 

“I don’t know Jonathan but it doesn’t matter. I love my mother but she cannot live my life. I am where I want to be.”

 

He took a moment, leaning his head against the palm of his hand, lovingly stroking the side of her face. “Never did I imagine that you’ll be here next to me…gifting me a son that I’ve always wanted. The feeling that I have for you is very hard to explain…”

 

She kissed him and said, “You don’t have to say anymore because I feel it too.”

 

They settled down on the bed and fell asleep.

 <<<<<<<<<   

Thursday… 

“Where’s my solicitor?” Amy shouted from her small cell.

 

Filthy by anyone’s standards – maybe the nightly crawlers and the ever present putrid scent emanating from the walls had something to do with it. She could barely sleep or eat in these horrid conditions. Slowly she was wasting away. She wished Jonathan could see how she was and show some pity.

 

“Inspector Davies, where is my appointed solicitor?”

 

“How could you afford one given your circumstance?”

 

“Sara!” Amy gave her the most evil stare. “You shouldn’t be in here!”

 

She took pleasure in seeing Amy behind the iron bars. “I can come and go as I please.” She placed a scented handkerchief to her nose. “How can you endure this place?”

 

“Thanks to you I must!” She wasn’t going to show her misery.

 

“Oh my things have changed for the Bay’s most prized dinner guest. You’re wasting away; your skin is ghastly and your hair is unsightly. Where are your many admirers? They must have run away from your appearance.”

 

“Shut Up Sara!” She stood just outside of her grasp.

 

“You’re the one that wanted my assistance failing to realize that I only assist myself. I would never help someone of your ilk. Sending your friend Clara was poor judgment. I saw right through that silly plan and here you are…thanks to me,” she gloated.

 

Amy found her easy tone despicable. “Get Out of Here! You may have won the battle against me but you’ve lost the war!”

 

“Have no idea what you’re talking about…”

 

“Don’t pretend that you don’t understand to whom I’m referring. Sitting here I’ve figured out some of this sorry tale. Jonathan met Celia long before anyone of us and fell madly in love but you took that love away from him. That’s why he is so repulsed by the mere mention of your name. I could never have him but neither can you. All your plotting is for naught!” She started laughing.

 

Sara kept a cool mind. “Imagine going off on your husband and losing your mind in the process!”

 

“Imagine losing a man that you desperately want to a black housemaid! Does Mr. Lewis know that you’re tormenting the wife of your ex-lover? Does he know that you want to replace him in the marital bed?”

 

“Shut Up Amy!” Sara yelled, losing her bearings. “Enjoy your miserable existence behind prison walls for the rest of your days!”

A small victory watching the rat retreating with the tail between her legs back to her hole…but it was short-lived. She hung her head in sorrow. Prison was all that she had feared. I should have accepted that it was over between us. What have I done to myself?

Chapter 16 by chocolate470
A bright morning with a cool northwesterly wind blowing in from the river...

"Look at the smile on your handsome face."

"Glad to know you still consider me to be handsome," he quipped.

He twirled the uneaten scrambled eggs on his plate while Annabelle cleared the remaining breakfast plates.

"Amazing when someone is whole again...the outside world seems conquerable," he mused.

"Where has that special lady disappeared to on this fine morning?"

"Early shopping with Joshua, Ms. Beatrice and Amos...A new entourage has been created."

"My how things change quickly in a fortnight...," Annabelle replied sarcastically.

"Wouldn't you want to be around a kinder mistress? Ms. Beatrice seems to have taken on the role of Joshua's nursemaid." He needed to employ a new housemaid. "I'm sure our family will expand and there'll be adequate work for her to do." Annabelle took note of the twinkle in his eyes.

"Certainly... For once everything is carefree in your life. It couldn't have happened to a finer gentleman. Your mother would be so proud of the man that you've become."

His countenance changed. "Everyday I think about her and wonder why she was ever attracted to my father."

"In his day your father was a very handsome man and given his wealth your grandparents approved of the courtship. Women sometimes believe that they can smooth out the edges of a complicated man," she sighed, "By the time she realized that he couldn't and wouldn't change she was hopelessly in love." She clasped the sides of his face. "But something good did emerge from the union."

Jonathan lowered his gaze. "My father may pay us a visit at any moment."

"Oh," she replied softly, "Is Celia aware of this impending visit?" she asked softly, wiping down the table. Mr. Campbell had a way of trampling over Jonathan's happiest moments. It was hard for her to believe that he could really be free of Andrew's meddlesome tendencies.

"Celia is aware and if need be we'll stand against him together. I won't allow my father to effect our lives as he once did." He stood and the chair screeched against the floor. "Excuse me Mrs. Annabelle."

Her gaze followed him as he exited the room. He defied Andrew's wishes once when he married Amy. For the sake of his family would he do it again?

<<<<<<<<< 

She detested that Amy's callous words had affected her mood. Amy was the one who was locked away and yet she was experiencing her own hell. Jonathan chose Celia not her; Jonathan chose and married Amy not her. And then her greatest fear had become a reality - Celia was back in his arms.

Barely acknowledging polite greeters she walked slowly by the collection of merchant stores dotted along her path. She paused at the window of the newly opened dress shop eyes chancing upon a disturbing scene - Celia and Beatrice glancing at dresses...selecting fabrics. Who was that little boy in Celia's arms? She didn't know Beatrice to have a child. Wait that little boy bears a resemblance to...Could it possibly be? She shook her head in disbelief with her pulse elevated. She felt lightheaded - the thought of Celia bearing his son...tainting the Campbell's bloodline. The truth was he was lost to her forever.

At that same moment her husband pulled up in his carriage.

"Sara!"

His tone dragged her back to reality. "Gregory?"

"Why aren't you at the store?" he asked unhappily.

"I-I-I had an important errand to take care of."

"An important errand indeed..." His tone sarcastic. "Get into the carriage!" She flinched. "You and I need to have a very important discussion."

<<<<<<<<< 

The morning was fairly busy and he rescheduled some appointments to the afternoon hours. His mind needed to take a breather. The drawing room's ambience provided it.

Henderson knocked and entered the room.

"Dr. Campbell I know you said no visitors but Ms. Clara would like to see you urgently."

"Let her come in." He stood to receive his visitor.

A sympathetic Clara entered the room offering sincere words. "Jonathan I've heard what has occurred with you and Amy. Forgive me for not grasping the extent of her madness. The last time I was here she practically threw me out of the residence. Very odd behavior but I never suspected that she would attack you in such a ruthless manner."

"Well it's all behind me and I'm getting on with my life."

"Eventually one must move on," she agreed.

"Clara, please take a seat." He motioned to her to sit down.

"Thank you but no. I've also stopped by for the remainder of my things."

"About that...I must inform you that Amy had your things destroyed," he sighed.

"What?! She destroyed all my things?" She asked in disbelief.

"I offer my sincere apologies for what she has done. I'll reimburse you..."

"I don't want your money Jonathan." She turned around. "Take care," she said before walking out the door. Her alliance with Amy had cost her dearly. In the future she needed to choose her friends carefully.

<<<<<<<<< 

Dinner was a marvelous feast and they sat on the verandah before retiring to bed.

"Close your eyes," he whispered by her ear.

"What is it?" she asked, excitedly.

"A small surprise..."

"Then show it to me."

"Ms. Celia has such impatience," he chuckled, "Here..." He laid his head on her right shoulder and waited for her reaction.

She unwrapped the package and discovered a framed portrait but not what she had expected. It wasn't of her sleeping in the bed at the Infirmary. It was of her and Joshua gathering spring flowers in the garden. The detailed design combined with the perfect blend of colors impressed her. In many ways he was a very talented man. On the top side were the words Ever Thine.

"It's-It's...so beautiful." She choked back the tears.

"Other than our son it's one of the greatest gifts that someone has ever given me."

"You and Joshua have made me the happiest man in the world. I love you both very much."

"And we love you too," she kissed him.

<<<<<<<<< 

With Joshua contentedly asleep in his room and Beatrice attending to him, they were able to share an intimate evening.

After experiencing pleasurable highs she remained stretched out on top of him tracing a finger along his face while he moved his hands up and down her back.

"What's wrong my love?" He had suddenly become quiet.

"How can anything be wrong when you're here in my arms?"

"The look on your face tells me otherwise." He hesitated to tell her about his fear. "Admit that you're scared that we may be torn apart again," she said in a subdued tone.

"The thought has crossed my mind. I can't help it. Many things may occur between now and Joseph's return and after..."

"I have that same fear but I also have faith that this time our love is strong enough to see us through. Say that you believe it too."

They embraced. "I believe it too." And shared a passionate kiss...

<<<<<<<<< 

Friday...

Joseph felt strange walking home. Earlier he had been called to the office to collect the balance of his salary.

"Didn't my wife come for this part of my salary?"

"No one came for it Joseph."

That response brought uneasiness. Why hadn't Celia gone for the money? Did something terrible happen? He hoped not and found that he was trotting home to get an explanation.

A few minutes later he arrived and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. He heard voices in the backyard - his niece and nephew at play - Annabelle and Sonia probably in the outside kitchen.

"Joseph is that you?" Annabelle asked surprised coming inside. "Celia told me three weeks..."

"A storm caused us to change course so here I am a week early."

"You look tired...want something to drink."

"A glass of water please." It seemed that he hadn't heard the crushing news as yet and she didn't want to be the person to tell him either. "Nothing wrong with Celia?"

Annabelle felt her body turn numb. "Why?" She asked staring at the floor.

"She never collect my pay. Is everything alright? Where Joshua"

"Nothing alright Joseph."

"I don't understand."

His eyes begged for clarification but she didn't know where to start or how to say that Celia and Joshua were gone.

"Mama..." Lydia and the children followed inside. Her eyes veered to the figure sitting in the settee. "Joseph..."

The children went rushing into their Uncle's arms asking him all sorts of questions - Did he like it at sea? What places did he visit? What people did he meet? And of course what did he bring? He brought them gifts. A doll made out of cloth and straw for Esther and two wooden soldiers for Steven.

"Thank you Uncle Joseph," they responded eager to play with their new toys.

"You will take care of them."

"We will," they promised.

"Now go to your rooms and play," Lydia instructed.

"But mama we want to stay with Uncle Joseph," Steven insisted but his sister stayed quiet.

"Your Uncle and I have things to talk about. Go On!" she yelled angrily. The children quickly obeyed and Annabelle left for the kitchen.

"You look serious Lydia. What's wrong?"

"Celia and Joshua gone."

He slowly stood. "What do you mean by Celia and Joshua gone?" he asked fearful.

"Dr. Jonathan Campbell came for them."

"Jonathan Campbell?" He searched his mind for answers.

 

"It not right to marry you Joseph."

"I can take care of you and the baby."

"I must tell you the truth. I love another man and he is the father of this baby."

"Who is he Celia?" he demanded. "Tell me!" How could she still be in love with a man who deserted her and thier child? What sort of man was he?

"An English Bayman named Jonathan Campbell." She spoke his name so reverently.

 

"JONATHAN CAMPBELL!" he raged but part of him found her words impossible to believe. "You wrong Lydia."

"I wrong," she said miffed, folding her arms. "It happened right here in this room two days ago. I tried to stop her but she wanted to go with him. "

"Dr. Campbell married!"

"Not anymore. It was easy for Celia to go to him and forget about her life with you."

"NO!" he banged his fists into the table breaking it in half. "That bastard stole my family away. I've got to get them back."

"Joseph she won't come back. You need to move on with your life. She has made it clear that she doesn't want you."

"If I was here she wouldn't have left!"

"I can't believe that you still want to be with her!"

"I don't expect you understand my reasons," he said then ran out of the house.

<<<<<<<<< 

"The dress patterns are coming along very nicely. We'll be finished sooner than I had imagined." She realized how much she had missed being a seamstress.

"Unless Joshua interferes," Beatrice smiled.

"Joshua..." He was picking up the strips of cloth and spinning them around. "I'll take him downstairs for a short while. Maybe he will like to spend some time with his father."

Working with Celia was turning out to be a pleasant surprise. Beatrice never imagined that she could see her as the mistress of the house. But Dr. Campbell loved her and his son very much and when they were together she saw the joy on his face. A good man like Jonathan deserves to be loved.   

<<<<<<<<< 

How he had reached Dr. Campbell's residence so quickly was a blur but there he was standing at the front door knocking. He could hear the sound of his heart pounding against his chest and his heavy breathing.

"Good day sir may I help you."

"I've come for my wife and son," he said, clenching his fists.

"Your wife and son," Henderson repeated.

"Yes Celia and Joshua! Where are they?"

"Sir I must go and look for Ms. Celia."

"Let me past! Celia! Celia!"

Upon hearing the commotion Celia approached. "Mr. Henderson what's going on?"

"There's a gentleman who wants to see you. I believe it's your husband."

"Joseph here..." she said meekly.

Hadn't he told her that he would be at sea for three weeks? She had prepared for a meeting at a neutral place but plans never turn out the way you want them to.

"I'm here Celia and I want answers!"

Obviously they needed to speak. She swallowed the lump in her throat and said, "I'm ready to give them to you."

<<< 

"Why you do this to me Celia? Why?"

Joseph's body glistened with sweat and that sense of betrayal expressed itself on his countenance.

"I'm sorry Joseph," was all she could say. For a moment guilt paralyzed her.

"Why are you here? You look different." She was dressed nicely in a blue printed dress - braided hair pinned at the back of her neck. She looked amazing. She looked very happy. "I know he can give you nice things..."

"This is not about nice things Joseph. I know these words are going to hurt you but...I love him."

Those words crushed him. "I'm still your husband and you are coming home with me! Where's Joshua?!"

 

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! LEAVE CELIA ALONE! ...came Jonathan's angry words from behind them. Henderson had left to inform him about Joseph's arrival.

"Celia is my wife and Joshua is my son! They are my family!"

Stepping forward both men leered at one another momentarily controlling the urge to pounce.

"Celia has made her decision. She and my son are staying here with me!"

"Because you stole her away when I was at sea...What kind of man does that to another man!"

Their faces expressed deep resentment; flared nostrils, heavy breathing. The argument was threatening to escalate into aggression as they moved closer to each other. Celia stepped between them.

"There will be no violence in a house where my son is," she said in a harsh tone which calmed them a little.

 

"Celia we need to talk," Joseph said quickly, glaring at him.

Jonathan took her aside. "My love you shouldn't speak with him," he said stroking her arm.

"Jonathan I need to speak with Joseph privately."

"The way he's behaving I don't want to leave you alone with him," he countered.

"Please for my sake," she beseeched him.

He mulled over her request then replied, "For your sake but if he tries to harm you any way he's breathed his last. Don't give him cause to believe that there is anything remaining between the two of you. Tell him the truth."

She gazed deeply into his eyes, nodding. He touched her cheek then his lips moved to gentle kiss her. Joseph turned away disgusted. How could he have discounted the longevity of their emotional bond? Why didn't she tell him about going to work for Dr. Campbell?

<<< 

The sun was high and they found shade by the tea table and chairs - an excellent vantage point from which Jonathan could observe them from his window. Henderson had taken Joshua upstairs.

"Celia you lie to me," he said as they took their seats.

"Joseph this marriage was over a longtime ago." It only existed on a piece of paper but never in her heart.

"It wouldn't be over if you hadn't come and work for Dr. Campbell."

"Does it really matter? I've made up my mind. I want to be with him."

"So you throw it back at me - everything I've done for you and Joshua."

"Joseph I'll always be grateful," she said, touching his arm. He placed his hand over hers. Jonathan seethed. Tell him!

She didn't pull her hand away maybe a small chance of them reuniting. "Everyone make mistakes. We can forgive each other and get things working again."

Celia pulled her hand away. "It's too late. I want to be with Jonathan," she stressed again.

"So he free and because I'm away you want to be free with him."

"Let me go Joseph," she persisted.

"No," he responded defiant, twisting his fingers.

"You're doing this out of spite. Jonathan could easily have this marriage ended."

"Then let him do it!" he replied angrily, "But I'm never bowing down." He stared straightforward and asked, "Are you coming home?"

"No...and if you ask me again the answer will still be no."

"Then consider this our last meeting. Don't come crying to me when he breaks your heart again because I won't be around."

"What about Joshua?" she asked quietly. "He is still your son. You are still his father."

"When you chose to go with that man you took his love away from me. I've lost my son and my wife." He stood. "When I leave the Bay I won't be coming back."

"Don't do this to Joshua." She grabbed his arm.

"You did it to me! I'm not his father."

"You are a father to him in so many ways! I won't take him away from you!"

"But you have taken him away!" he cried, "Soon he'll forget as you have but I never will."

He removed the wooden soldier from his pocket, throwing it hard against the ground and walked away. He left with a heavy heart. It hurt to give up on a little boy that called him papa but he couldn't deal with this situation any further.

She was left stunned but there were no tears to be shed. "Take care of yourself Joseph."

<<< 

She stooped down to pick up the broken pieces of the toy soldier. Leaving Joseph had cost Joshua a father but she loved Jonathan too much to remain in a loveless marriage. She reasoned that it was pride that made Joseph come after her - not love.

She felt a gentle hand squeeze her shoulder. "It's going to be alright."

"He doesn't want to end the marriage," she whispered.

"It will be taken care of."

"And he's ended his role as Joshua's father. May I please have a moment alone?"

"Certainly..."

<<<<<<<<< 

Time dragged on but Jonathan wasn't apprehensive about her lingering in the garden. What concerned him most was her unwillingness to speak to him. After what his father had done to her she must have grown accustomed to internalizing her emotions he surmised.

The more he thought about it the more he didn't want her to be alone. He went out to search for her but found that she had disappeared from the garden. Immediately he went upstairs where Joshua was taking his afternoon nap with Beatrice sewing nearby.

"Sorry to bother you Ms. Beatrice but have you seen Celia?"

"Not since the last time she was upstairs."

Where could she be? He searched his bedroom and hers but still no sign of her anywhere. He bounded down the stairs unsure of where he should next look for her.

"Henderson, have you seen Celia?"

"A short while ago. She informed me that she was going for a walk to clear her mind."

She left without saying a word. "How long ago was this?" He asked perturbed, fingers massaging his temple.

"I would say about half and hour. Is there something wrong Dr. Campbell?"

"There isn't anything wrong," he lied because he felt something was wrong. "All the same I'm going to look for her."

"Very good sir. I'm sure she went for a stroll in the park."

"Then that's where I'll go."

<<< 

He had scarcely reached the iron gates when a black carriage came to a halt at its front. Didn't they read the sign stating that there will be no more appointments today? But he understood that some in the societal sphere could care less about such signs denying them a service. He kept a keen eye on the carriage's door blocked momentarily by the eager driver opening it. An elderly gentleman stepped out with hat and cane.

Jonathan's mouth went dry when he saw the gentleman's face. "Father," came a muted tone.

"Good day to you my boy," he replied, tipping his hat. "You look very pale. Are you surprised to see me?"

He quickly said, "I'm far from being surprised. I've been expecting your visit."

It was a surprise when he extended a hand in greeting and gave him a hug - bizarre.

"I've missed you very much." Jonathan was astounded. "Let's go inside. We have many things to discuss."

The two strolled to the front door. Now he was grateful that Celia wasn't around.

"How long will you be staying?"

"It all depends," he replied then scrutinized his face. "I've heard of the unfortunate incident with your wife..."

"Could we not go into this father?" he asked, raising his voice.

"Is it wrong for me to be concerned about my son's well being?"

Where was this concern throughout the years? "Glad to know that you're concerned," he muttered.

He was perplexed by his father's improved behavior towards him. He decided to play along until his true intentions were revealed.

Henderson opened the door and allowed them inside.

"Good day Henderson."

"A very good day to you Mr. Campbell," he greeted, accepting his hat and cane.

"How has my son been treating you?"

"Very well sir."

Jonathan escorted him to the drawing room where Henderson poured them each a glass of scotch whiskey. He remained standing while his father took a seat in the chair opposite him. There was an underlying tension between them that wasn't ready to show itself.

"Prosperity seems to have come your way fairly easily without my guidance."

"A man must learn to stand on his own two feet." He sipped his drink.

"Do you have a cigar?"

"No I don't smoke."

He watched his father take out his gold case and light a cigarette - his hands shaky. The man sitting in his chair was a mere shadow of the monster he remembered. The giant that once towered over his every decision looked frail...tired and his face was marked by hidden burdens. He wanted something.

Henderson assisted with an ashtray.

"What do you want from me?" he asked deliberately. "Your supposed concern about me is much too late," he growled.

"I don't like your tone. Has my words been spoken with any malice?"

"Do you believe that I can easily forget how you treated me when I was younger? How you took away the love of my life?!"

"Here we go again." He blew out a breath, setting aside his cigarette. "If I had allowed you to continue that unwholesome affair you wouldn't be where you are now!"

Scoundrel! But his tone settled. "Should I thank you for creating this wonderful life?"

"Yes," he responded plainly. The whiskey tasted first-rate more to his fancy.

"Certainly I should be grateful especially now that things have drastically changed for the better in my life," he announced.

"I was correct in telling you that Amy wasn't the right woman."

"In that regard I should have heeded your advice but you do understand that sometimes one acts presumptuous when they are young." He peeked into his glass and swirled the dark liquid.

"You were young and foolish. Marrying Sara Brodie would have been the appropriate choice. Your stupidity cost us both in the end."

Jonathan blinked. It seemed like the real Andrew Campbell was finally making an appearance.

<<<<<<<<< 

At that moment Celia returned. Amos opened the door for her. The walk had been good but she knew that Jonathan would probably be upset that she was long in coming.

"Dr. Campbell was looking for you," Amos revealed.

"Where is he now?" She removed her bonnet.

"In the drawing room with an elderly gentleman whom Henderson referred to as Mr. Campbell..."

Andrew Campbell! The pace of her heartbeat quickened. He must have arrived on the same ship as Joseph. Events at this house occurred one after the other without much breathing room. She closed her eyes and took two deep breaths.

"Is everything alright Ms. Celia?"

"It has to be," she said absentmindedly. 

Time to face one of your greatest fears...Old Bastard!

<<< 

"Father I know why you're here?"

"Why am I here?" he asked, shifting in his seat.

"Because you need money - you've always thought highly of your gambling prowess." His mouth twisted into a scowl. "Now you need a savior."

"It sounds like you don't want to help your father." He swallowed his drink, taking a puff.

"If it weren't for mother's dying wish I wouldn't have allowed you to enter my residence." Andrew stared at him and he saw the resentment in his eyes. How dare he say such things to his father. Those deep underlying emotions were creeping to the surface. "How many times did I want your approval? For you to be proud of me! But I've always been your disappointment haven't I father?!"

"When you've behaved like a sniveling little boy ...going on and on about that black whore!"

Jonathan lashed out, striking him squarely in the jaw. His head snapped to one side.

"Don't ever call Celia by that horrible name again or else!" His eyes blazed with fury.

"Go ahead, continue to beat on an old man," were the words she heard as she stepped into the room. "Your own father!"

"When have you ever been a father to me?!"

Jonathan's fingers were tightly gripping the lapels of his shirt as blood trickled down the side of his father's mouth.

"Dr. Campbell! Dr. Campbell" She heard Henderson yelling but Jonathan's mind was elsewhere - lost in the sea of bitter memories.

She had to act or she may never experience a love that was always elusive. He may end up in prison or worse. The built up rage threatened to take it all away.

"Jonathan, my love...it's not worth it," she said calmly.

Celia...

"My love you are a far better man than he has ever been. Don't do this."

Hearing her voice prompted him to relax his grip, taking a step back. His anger was dissipating and his breathing was returning to normal. He felt a sharp pain in his knuckles and flexed his fingers.

"Celia..." She rushed to his side and he found comfort in her arms.

"Oh my love..." She tenderly wiped the sweat from his brow.

"I love you so much. Thank you," he whispered gently kissing her.

What's this? Andrew struggled to regain a comfortable position in the chair. The disconcerting scene of his son canoodling with the black witch was being played out in front of his eyes.

"This is IMMORAL!" he shouted. He took out his handkerchief dabbing his injured lip.

"For once in your miserable life, remain quiet."

"How dare you speak to me in that manner?! You seemed to forget your position," he fumed.

"Her place is by my side." For a moment Andrew was speechless. "You thought that you had torn us apart forever but we've found each other again. This time I'll never let her go."

"If you continue on with this abhorrent relationship I'll ruin your reputation," he warned.

Paper Tiger... He got into his father's face. "Do you think I don't know your dark secrets? And why it was so necessary for you to leave the Bay quickly? Your former associates will be dying to hear tales of your widespread deceit."

"There is no such evidence," he stated emphatically, rising.

"Then how would I know if I hadn't seen the documents with my own two eyes."

"Breaking a promise that you made to your dying mother!"

"Haven't you already broken your own promise?! It's time for me to fulfill a promise to the woman I love and our son."

"Son?" Did he hear correctly?

It was Celia's turn to speak. "The day you sent me away I was carrying Jonathan's child. Although you sought to ruin my life with God's help we have managed survived. And he has led us back to my true love." 

"And my life is complete," he responded, kissing her again. Andrew cursed. "Henderson, escort him off my property."

"Damn the both of you to hell! Henderson I'll find my own way!"

They embraced.

"Finally I'm free," he breathed. "You and Joshua are my only family. I'll do my utmost to make you both happy."

<<<<<<<<< 

Three weeks later...

During the past weeks they had spent a great deal of time reflecting on their past and sharing plans for the future. Her sister Hortense had joined the staff as the new housemaid. For now Jonathan would hold off on joining the Infirmary staff permanently - too much time would be spent away from their family.

Needless to say she hadn't seen Joseph again. Joshua began referring to Jonathan as "papa". The first time he heard him say it he cried and embraced him tightly saying, "I am your papa."

Her relationship with Lydia had steadily improved. Last Sunday she and Joshua went by to see her mother and they managed to have a polite conversation. With Joseph gone it was better to rebuild a sisterly relationship.

<<< 

They were spending a quiet evening in the drawing room - Celia wrapped in his arms, sitting on his lap. After all this time it felt wonderful being in his arms- her arms.

"Wipe that smile off your face."

"Why?"

"Because you know what I'm about to tell you."

He kissed her sweet lips. "My love I want to hear you say it."

"We're going to have a baby," she smiled.

"Obviously..."

She smacked him playfully against his cheek. Being a physician he must have noticed the changes during those intimate moments, she smiled wickedly.

"I'm looking forward to meeting your friends tomorrow evening."

Ben pointed out that he was being too protective of his dark beauty and they were anxious to meet the woman who had taken his heart. He agreed and spoke with her about it. She didn't mind knowing that Jonathan wouldn't be acquainted with persons who would be against their union.

"You are sure to impress them my love."

Suddenly he retrieved a ring from his breast pocket - a gold ring set with Diamond, Emerald, Agate and Ruby stones. It spelt out the word Dear.

"What's this?" She asked as he placed it on the ring finger of her left hand.

"There's no need for us to stand before a parson in a church...God knows that you are my wife and I am your husband."

"Forever and always...," she ended, kissing him passionately.

Celia and Jonathan 

 I want to thank all those readers and of course those who left reviews for reading!

 

 

 

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=395