It's All About Youİ by SparkApCider
Summary:

story banner 

It's All About You is a story about a young woman who has everything she wants and it is soon taken away by tragedy.  Against her better judgment she struggles with the courage to find love again, but it comes with a few obstacles that force her to either fight or flight for love.   The story that birthed the series Love Bears All.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of SparkApCider. The original characters and plot are the property of SparkApCider, and is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. 

Graphics by SPAC 


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: General
Genre: Drama, Family, Friendship, Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Original Characters, Racism, Strong Sexual Content
Challenges: Song Fic Challenge, New Beginnings
Challenges: Song Fic Challenge, New Beginnings
Series: Love Bears All: A Journey to Love
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 27293 Read: 126269 Published: 24/03/09 Updated: 16/06/09
Story Notes:
Thank you for stopping in to visit the story of SPAC. It's a good wholesome tale of the struggles of love, finding, losing, and then finding it again, trusting. Trust is a huge issue with Nicole, our lead female. She tells you this at the beginning, so it's a retrospective tale.

1. The CAST by SparkApCider

2. The PLAYLIST by SparkApCider

3. Prologue by SparkApCider

4. Chapter 1 by SparkApCider

5. Chapter 2 by SparkApCider

6. Chapter 3 by SparkApCider

7. Chapter 4 by SparkApCider

8. Chapter 5 by SparkApCider

9. Chapter 6 by SparkApCider

10. Chapter 7 by SparkApCider

11. Chapter 8 by SparkApCider

12. Chapter 9 by SparkApCider

13. Chapter 10 by SparkApCider

14. Chapter 11 by SparkApCider

15. Chapter 12 by SparkApCider

16. Chapter 13 by SparkApCider

17. Chapter 14 by SparkApCider

18. Chapter 15 by SparkApCider

19. Chapter 16 by SparkApCider

20. Chapter 17 by SparkApCider

21. Chapter 18 by SparkApCider

22. Chapter 19 by SparkApCider

23. Chapter 20 by SparkApCider

24. Chapter 21 by SparkApCider

25. Chapter 22 by SparkApCider

26. Chapter 23 by SparkApCider

27. Chapter 24 by SparkApCider

28. Epilogue by SparkApCider

The CAST by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:

Welcome to the beginning.  Some faces from the soaps.  I had to represent.

I grew up watching these things, and though some characters I hated...truly, you can't deny talent is what it is!

Two "Lucky's", yes. Jacob Young and Greg Vaughan!

My favorite IR couple...NIA, repped by Marissa Ramirez & Coltin Scott

cast banner

ROBBIE~NICOLE~PEYTON~BRIAN~GREG~KYM~JT~NEIL~CELESTE~LIZ

End Notes:
I hope you enjoy. Remember that this story is just the beginning of a long saga. It's date commenced in 1999 and therefore we have ten years at least to fill in! Enjoy! 
The PLAYLIST by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:

This is the playlist that I made post the stories ending.  I had a few song clips like the wedding medley and the title song appear. 

Welcome to It's All About You. I hope you enjoy listening. All Songs "You" Inspired. Enjoy!

 

The PLAYLIST click to LISTEN

playlist

End Notes:

Thanks for listening. I hope you enjoyed it!

Prologue by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:

I'd like to remind the reader that this is an account from the perspective of Nicole. And although at times you get the first hand account of the actions of others, try to bear in mind that when she's speaking about the intents of Brian, she is interpreting. This isn't Brian's speak. Go easy on him...k!

Another New Year...


And yes, I had been back in touch with a few friends last year. With promises to keep in touch, time has passed and it's been too long again since we've spoken. I think about them all of the time. I am just not a good friend I guess. I don't do well with the distance thing. Time, a little pain and disappointment have left me cynical. I am grateful for all that has come to me. I cherish the moments that I have. Nothing is promised. You must grab a hold of any morsel of happiness. 

The greatest joys of my life, next to Brian, are the two beautiful babies we are growing inside of me. I smile with pride at the wonderful life I have been given. There was once a time that I didn't believe in second chances. God has granted me so much in good health that I thought love would never be possible, again.

Yes I say again, because of Robbie. He wasn't my first boyfriend. But he was surely the only man I thought I would marry and give life with. The cherubic faces I stared down at on the monitor were to be ours, mine and Robbie's. I don't regret the love Brian has given me. He saved me. He loved me passed my pain. The life we share is more than I could have ever dreamed of with Robbie. But when you give your heart to someone, after years of pain and heartbreak, only to lose them to sudden death, another chance at love is unwarranted. You simply check out. But Brian wouldn't have it. God would hear nothing of it. My tears are of joy.

It's true what they say; God opens windows when He closes doors. I have always been told that if you want to make God laugh, just tell him your plans. These words were spoken by women in love, with husbands, or quite successful in their careers. I am not discounting the women who have all of that! 

I guess you could say I was in utter disbelief. But children have a wonderful way of helping you lose yourself in them and their wonder. 

Brian, the love of my life is on his way home. In a few hours, Brian and I will spend an evening alone by the fire. I have made his favorite delicacies. Candles are prepped. Calgon has taken me away and brought me back. He has a way of making me feel sexy even though it's been few weeks since I saw my feet. With nothing left to do, but just a few minutes to burst in the glow that is life, I look back and wonder how all of this came to be.    

End Notes:
And so the journey begins...
Chapter 1 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
First Chapter.
Every week the team would meet at Ricci's Pizza to go over our project updates. To commemorate our final meeting on the Theory & Practice project, the group opted to go to Mongo's Barbecue. I had never eaten there before so I was willing to expand my horizons. I loved it. I filled my bowl with raw meats and veggies, while watching it grill. "Go Nicole!" Brian said, cheering me on for filling the bowl to it's rim. 

"So, this is the last project review until February. I thought it would be nice to go some place different." Brian suggested.

I remember mentioning it once or twice that we could change venues, but pizza is and has always been one of my guilty pleasures. I just thought it would be another pizza kitchen with a barbecue pizza. I was still waiting for the other guys to get there. I really didn't want to start without them. Brian insisted that we go ahead and get started, thinking the rest of the group was hung up holiday shopping. 

Brian reached for my bowl and handed both of ours to the chef. It smelled wonderful. The grill was sizzling with our dinner and I couldn't wait to try mine. Since we ordered the One Trip Special, the rice and tortillas were waiting for us at the table. After tipping the chefs, Brian took both of our plates to the table as I picked up our drinks at the fountain. A lemonade for me and Dr. Pepper for Brian.

"So are you ready to dig in?" Brian asked. "Here goes", I replied. 

He was right. They were the best fajitas I had ever tasted.

Then his phone rang. He glimpsed at it and then silenced the ringer. 

"Wow, this was a great idea Brian. It's a shame the others had to miss" I commented.

We talked for hours about everything. The conversation was light and succinct. At times it seemed awkward because I was a little nervous to be alone with him. I wasn't afraid of him. It just seemed weird. After all of these project meetings, the group would blow the final one of the quarter. 

---

Time flew by. Nearly three hours had passed. 

Great food! I was full long before Brian. He suggested I box it to go. 

"I have to admit something. I hope that you won't be mad." He apologized in advance.

"What is it?" I thought to myself.

"I sort of ditched the group," he continued.

"What?" I asked, slightly bewildered.

"It's my fault the rest of the group isn't here." 

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I wanted to spend some time alone with you, and I just didn't know how to ask without being too forward. We work together, and I wanted to spend some time with you before the project ended."

I was a little angry, confused, nervous, anxious, all rolled into a ball of emotions. 

"I, I don't know what to say." I said, while shocked a bit and flattered immensely. 

We were interrupted by the waiter. I was glad for it. Brian pulled out his charge card to cover the bill. I didn't speak while the waiter was before us. I used the distraction to search my thoughts. I wasn't prepared for this.

"Say something" he asked.

I glimpsed down at my drink. He reached his hand out across the table and lifted my chin.

"I think you know that I like you. I am usually more confident and assured of myself," he continued.

I interrupted and turned slightly so my face departed from his hand. "Brian, you have a girlfriend. How am I supposed to feel if she walked in? She works in the same department as me."

"We are just friends aren't we? There isn't...I mean there wouldn't be anything to explain. We are just having dinner," he said while placing the tip on the table. "I am sorry for not asking you directly. I thought you would say no. I guess I went about it all wrong."

"And that gives you the right to take my choice away? You are damn right it's wrong!" I scolded.

"I'm sorry," he apologized.

"I'm not mad. It's just that you've put me in a precarious situation. I mean, it's ok. It's not as if I haven't enjoyed your company. I feel very awkward you know." 

"I don't want you to feel awkward. That wasn't my intentions at all" he said sincerely. 

"What about your girlfriend?" I asked sternly. 

"She's not; we're not like we used to be."

"The last you mentioned, you guys were thinking of taking your relationship to the next level. What happened?" I continued.

"I don't know. We have been together since high school. I guess we were together so long that marriage just seemed like the next step."

"Do you love her?"

"Yes, I love her."

"Then don't you think she deserves the truth about how you feel?"

"What makes you think I haven't told her?"

"I am just saying...just asking a very real question...so don't jump on me!" I smiled.

Smiling back at me, with the most gorgeous dimpled smile, Brian wasn't the same as he was earlier. A more serious man had replaced the carefree one. 

"Have you ever felt something, like a connection with someone, and you have no idea how or what you are going to do or say, but you have to do something before you run out of time?" He offered.

"Yes." I said.

"I guess, you would, given that you were engaged once" he recalled.

"Well, maybe you should talk to her. It's normal to feel anxiety before you are about to spend your life with someone." I chastised.

"You don't get it. I have never been unsure about my feelings or who I am, or what I want. But right here, right now, this is the best time I have had in a long time."

"So you want to be let off the hook. Brian, that's wrong!" I blasted.

"I have not just starting feeling unsure. I have been thinking that there could be something more. What I have with Liz is good. But what if there is something greater?" he explained.

"There is always the chance that something greater could be out there. I know that the only thing permanent is death. And all you have is the life you live before you die. In life there are loads of possibilities; opportunities to right wrongs" I followed.

"That's what I mean. I love Liz. I do. But I am not in love with her. I don't want to wake up one day and hate my life because I did what everyone else thinks is the next step for me...for us."

"You should tell her how you feel. You are a great guy. I think you own those feelings and you have the obligation to tell her the truth."

"I have. She just thinks it's the jitters." 

"Brian, before Robbie, before we met, I dated this other guy for a couple years after high school. He was the love of my life. We were a very passionate couple. We had our moments. But he betrayed me. And as much as I tried to forgive him, it tore us apart. He tried to get me back, using the wrong words. Until one day, he up and got married to the same woman he betrayed me with. He never told me that he married her. But it didn't matter. I always felt that he wasn't 'with me' you know. I knew at some point that we weren't supposed to be together. It had started feeling like a habit. But I wasn't strong enough to end it. I think you two have a lot to talk about. But if she wants to marry you still, what are you going to do?"

"I don't know," he said remorsefully.

"Look, I have had a great time with you. In another time, or another place, I would, be flattered that you concocted a coup to get me on a date. But I don't want to be considered a home wrecker. I know what it feels like to have your heart handed to you. I wouldn't wish that on anyone" I explained.

I stood up, tied my scarf, and pulled on my gloves. "Oh look it's snowing!" I said, to break up the monotony. Brian blushed at me. "It's going to be o.k. You will make the right decision." I said.

"But not the guy for you...huh?" He asked.

"Brian...come on, stop playing." I said in a sing-song voice.

"I enjoy being with you Nicole. I am not going to apologize for that. It's the best time I have had in ages. I hope that we can do this again soon."

"I just think you have a lot to sort out. And I don't want to get involved in this...drama. Relationships are complicated. One day you have this swirling cloud of confusion, the next it's a clear day after a rain and all is in perspective. I don't want to be the one who gets caught up in the confusion. The timing is just off right now Brian. I think you are a great guy. A wonderful colleague and I couldn't have asked for a better friend. Now let me have the honor of being all of that for you. Talk to her." I concluded.

---

That was the last time I spoke with Brian. The project was finalized and I was sent to Atlanta as a travel coordinator for an engineering firm for three months. I met a lot of interesting people. I dated a couple: Ken and Eric. They were both very different. I wasn't looking for love. I guess the dreamer in me was looking for some sign from Robbie that one or the other, or neither was my step forward. Well, Robbie spoke to me. And it was Eric. The relationship lasted a month after my assignment ended. As much as I knew distance was going to kill it, I let him convince me to give it a shot. 

I was right. We talked every day when I was with DEI, the engineering company. I had even considered changing careers. But when I returned to school for another internship, it was all about finishing what I had started. I thought many times that this teaching thing was just something I did when my life was in a different place, that time and space I spent with Robbie. 

When I returned to Michigan it was late winter. Eric and I talked less and less. Soon the calls stopped, and we didn't hear from each other any more. I was a little angry at myself. I knew that it would happen. 

I wanted to keep dating so I dated a few more times with some very insignificant nameless suitors, and none of them held my attention like Brian Santi, nor displayed his sincerity.

I admit that I really was dating to get passed the feelings I was developing for Brian. I felt he would never do anything to hurt me intentionally. He was nothing like Chance. Nonetheless, he was a still a man. They aren't very good with their feelings or good at reading the women in their lives. Brian seemed like a guy who would do the right thing. He wouldn't hurt Liz. If she cried and put it on him, he would marry her. I was sure he was in marital bliss as I spoke on it. I wanted to call and see how he was doing so many times. But again, my heart needed to be protected. Disappointment was not an option. 

I decided to relax a little and do some job hunting outside of Michigan before getting settled into a job.I posted my resume with a few outside districts but I needed to attach my transcripts to a few applications. So one morning on an extremely unpredictable spring day, I drove down to the university to pick up a few copies of my transcripts. I pulled into the parking garage and on my way out of the elevator, I see a handsome guy talking to a very attractive older lady. It was Sheila Stone our senior rep and Brian Santi. We all hugged and spoke briefly about what we were doing currently. Sheila excused herself and there remained, me and Brian. 

"Wow, you look great!" He said, flirt-y, fine, and flashing the dimples.

"Thanks. So do you!" I returned, anxiously.

"I can't believe it. I have been thinking about you and here you are. I had tried calling but I guess you changed your number" he spoke.

"Yes, I did." I said with regret.

"Are you in a hurry? Let me buy you a cup of coffee" he offered.

"Ok." I accepted graciously.
We walked to the inside of the campus heading towards the B&N Bookstore. Brian held the door, and I walked inside. I had no intentions on having scones and coffee. I was actually feeling full from the chicken salad and soup I had earlier. Brian had ordered a latté and a blueberry scone for me while I went to the restroom. He had a cranberry muffin and coffee packaged to go by the time I returned. I was a little disappointed because it appeared he was in hurry to leave.

"Oh my, do you have to leave?" I asked.

"No, it's just I grabbed an extra for Liz."

"Oh, how is she? How are you guys?"

"Well, we are friends. We both decided that marriage wasn't what either of us wanted at the time. We decided to take a step back. See how things go."

"I knew things would work out for you. Aren't you glad you had that talk?" I asked.
"Can you believe as beautiful as it was for the past few weeks, snow is in the forecast?" I said, quickly changing the direction.

"Yeah, I know. It's Michigan, right? If you don't like the weather, give it a week, it will change. So what's been going on with you Ms. Mendes?"

"Well...not much. I am taking some time to search for work out of state. You know, feel the prospects. If I ever want to get out of Michigan, now is the time."

"You aren't leaving Michigan are you? I mean I am just getting back in touch with you and you are leaving me again?" he asked.

"I am not leaving you. I am simply looking to see what is out there. Test the waters." I said.

Taking a few sips from our beverages and nibbling on her deserts, Brian continued to blush at me. "What?" I asked.

"Nothing." he responded.

"It's something. What is it?"

"I am just looking. I can't look at you?" he asked.

"It makes me uncomfortable when you do that." I begged.

"I am not going to apologize for admiring your beauty."

"Thank you...So, what's been up with you?" I returned, warmly.

"Well, let's see. My dad has informed me that he is going to be retiring from the company and has since been grooming me to take over."

"Oh. What about teaching?" I asked. 

"I know, right. Well, I guess I have a lot to think about in the year. But for the immediate future, I have a ski vacation coming. Say, do you ski?"

"Actually, no. I have never been."

"Hey, you should come. I have a time share. It's plenty of room. There's plenty to do, even if you don't want to ski."

"Are you going alone?"

"Actually, a few friends of mine are all getting together. We are driving up to the slopes."

"I will think about it. And on that note, I have to get to the registrars before they close."

"Can I call you sometime?" He asked, urgently.

"Sure." I handed Brian my card with my new number on it and told him that I would think about the ski trip.

Peyton, a good friend from high school had been ringing me all day. I couldn't wait to talk to her about Brian.

---

"Honestly, I was shaking at the thought Peyton of what it would be like to spend some time with him. Brian Santi was simply gorgeous. I had noticed before. It's just that my eyes are open now along with the possibility of my heart. And I don't want my heart to lose. Brian mentioned that he and Liz had taken a step back. He never said they weren't dating; all the while he was sitting there flirting with me." I offered.

"Look, you like him, why not take the trip? I would love for some s.exy guy to take me skiing. Go! Have fun! You only live once!" she jeered.

Peyton lived right here in Michigan. She had always been my trusted confident for what seemed like forever. But a lot of the reasons we didn't spend a lot of time together was because of our differences in how we approach life. No matter how little we saw or heard from each other, we both knew that when our backs were against the wall, we would always be there in the pocket.

I wanted to go with Brian to the mountains. But I wanted Peyton to tell me no. Instead she was right there supporting me and cheering me on.

---

"Hello"

"Hi beautiful!" He knew it was me? Was he expecting my call?

"Hi, is this Brian?" I asked.

"Yes you caught my voice. What's happening?" he asked.

"Nothing much. How are you?"

"I'm good." he returned.

"No, I was actually thinking about you."

"Really?" He asked.

"Yes. I was thinking of calling you, to find out what I need to pack for the trip."

"oh..."    
End Notes:

Instead of rewriting this chapter, I will explain that the educational plan for a teaching student in the State of Michigan requires that a perspective graduate in the College of Education first complete all Liberal Arts Studies prior to acceptance.  At Wayne State University where I completed my undergraduate studies required that all graduates successfully pass a proficiency in Math, Writing, and Critical Thinking.  In addition the education student must complete a Basic Skills battery, an additional certification examination in their subject major/minor study, and if they are an Elementary Education student, like myself and 'Nicole/Brian/Neil/Celeste' then you must also take the Elementary Education Exam for certification.

Additonally, you must take three semesters of teaching preparation or internships. The first semester which cannot be audited is called Theory and Practice where the intern meets in cohort group and work through their struggles in a classroom inside their collective district and complete 'onsite' training in a classroom under a supervised teacher.  Ongoing projects are required plus a final 'thematic unit'. The second semester (intern gains more experience in classroom management under the direct super. of a licensed teacher) may be audited  if the intern has had previous classroom experience. Here is where I was granted an audit because 1) I had three majors and the University wanted me out...LOL. and 2) I was a Special Education Aid for 6 years with Physically or Otherwise Health Impaired Students.  The final or third is the END, it's a combination of 1/2 with more responsibility on the intern.  It's the best if you ask me. If your host likes you, they give you lots of goodies to get your classroom started. In elementary school a lot of money is invested to run the class and make it fabulous!

So these internships are referred to throughout the first couple of chapters. I hope this helps!

Chapter 2 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
So we've arrived to Chapter 2. Nicole has initial anxiety, but puts her toe into the water.
"I can't wait to see you on the slopes." Brian said, with encouragement.

"NO! I think you mean fall down on the slopes." I returned.

"I bet you will do fine...ok, you may fall a few times. But you'll get a feel for it" he said, with a bit of regret.

"RRR-Right...and I should believe you because?" I said with a warm smile.

Brian was really making the slopes sound exciting. But I was terrified that I would be sore and shut in away from all of the fun. The drive was really nice. After packing my luggage into his huge Tahoe, we stopped for road snacks and headed north. 

Soon we were unpacked and on skis. I was moving around like a child taking his first steps. My skis were getting crossed. I couldn't hold my posture. And just when I would find a groove I got all tangled up in the skis and down I went. This happened a few more times. I was getting a little dizzy from the wind and of course the falls. I needed to stop the insanity quick!

"I knew it! I should have never listened to you." I exclaimed in a sing-song pitch.

"Aw, babe, I am sorry. You only fell twice. That's pretty good considering it's your first time."

"I'm cold. I want to warm up." I cried.
Just as Brian winked at me, a thunder of loud voices was growing near. It had to be JT, Greg, and Neil, Brian's fraternity brothers. 

"Hey, what's happening?" Slaps and chest bumps commenced as the ‘brothers' became reacquainted. "Wow, so who is this beautiful lady?" Greg asked. I had already met Neil at the university so his face was the only familiar one in the crowd.

"This is Nicole." Brian said, casually giving introductions. 

As Neil and I exchanged greetings, Brian and JT were returning our skis. Greg excused himself as he interrupted our chat and reached for my hand and said "Neil, I think I hear the ‘lil woman' calling you." 

"Hey dude, get a grip, and rise up off her" joked Brian.

I laughed a little giggle, because it was all I could think to do. Here I was surrounded by all of these gorgeous hunks, with model jaw lines...too much hotness. Thank heavens they were with their partners. Well, all except Greg. As Peyton would say, "it's a hotness alert". 

Coming up the cobblestone walk was the ladies to accompany these gorgeous men: Celeste, Neil's fiancée, JT's girlfriend Kym, and the other I recognized from campus was Liz. Yes, the former fiancée of Brian. And for a moment a thick lump caught in the back of my throat.

"Hi," was my best effort, considering I was shivering. We all exchanged greetings. They seemed cordial. The only busybody of the group was Liz. 

Neil took the liberty to introduce me to the ladies. I was familiar with Liz from campus, but I wasn't sure if she knew who I was. "Why was she here?" I thought to myself. Well, any way, I was going to have a good time no matter what. The trip was free, and Greg was certainly touching my hand every chance he got. It was cute. I thought it was harmless. 

"Hello, Brian." Liz reached from behind, playing the peek-a-boo, covering his eyes. "Guess, who?"

"Hi, you made it." I studied his face for any indication that this was a surprise. He seemed indifferent. 

"Well, I couldn't let you spend the week getting your butt bruised on the slopes." Liz boasted.

"Oh...it's like that, huh?" Brian returned.

"And so who is this, I don't think we've met?" Liz asked.

"This is Nicole. Nicole, Liz." 

"Now that I think of it, I do recall meeting you on campus you are Brian's ex, right?" I spoke sharply, while throwing a glance at Brian. You could tell he wasn't playing ref.

Liz had been introduced to me already by Neil. So, I guessed she wanted to know who I was with. I was sure that Brian said they were now ex's and friends. But I know women. We are territorial about lovers and ex-lovers. It didn't matter what her intents were. There was a single man in the fold, and many around the bungalows. I wasn't going to let some petty jealous woman interfere with my vacation. 

We all started towards the bungalows. The plans were to shower and prepare for the early dinner. Greg, who kept flirting with me, asked if he could get me some hot chocolate from the snack bar. By now, Brian was lecturing Greg on etiquette and boundaries. But it didn't matter to Greg. He kept right on doing his thing. It was a part of his charm. And charming he was indeed.

Liz surprisingly gave some reassurance. "Don't worry about Greg. He's just being Greg, a harmless flirt." 

"Thanks. He seems harmless." I replied.

"One can never know though with Greg. His type is female", she chided. "So is this your first time on the slopes?" 

I was stunned by her apparent attempt to condescend but I decided to let that one go. Any effort to defend myself would have been misconstrued. 
"Yes, this is my first time. I am looking forward to it. It seems like so much fun."

"Well, skiing is fun. But it's not for whimps though chica. You might want to get a few runs with the coach before you actually get out there and hang with the real skiers." 

"Thanks. I'll take that into consideration." I returned.

"Good...Good" she said sarcastically.

I shook my head hiding my disgust behind a frozen smile at the gall of this petty troll. I could tell this was going to be an interesting week. At this point she was focused on sizing me up, as if I had to pass her inspection or something. Good grief. 

I wasn't sure what her purpose was for first telling me how harmless Greg was, but it obviously served her purpose. She doesn't seem downright uncouth, but simply the type who gets what she wants by feigning a jovial personality. She was definitely the type of woman who didn't have to work hard for much. Again, Brian and I were friends and technically didn't go up there as a couple; my intentions were to spend some unrestricted time getting to know him better. I wasn't at all worried about Brian's gallantry. He was always a gentleman; sometimes to his detriment.    
End Notes:
How did you like Liz? She's a peach huh?
Chapter 3 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:

Here's Chapter 3...moving along!

The bungalows were really nice and very well decorated in a traditional theme with lots of logs. The fresh smells of pine settled in the air. The 16 bungalows, like villas, were comprised of humongous suites that contained any where from 2-4 smaller en suites. In each en suite was a smaller bathroom. Brian's family had a time share that he was using for his bungalow. Without any pretentiousness, he offered me my own en suite, while he took one for himself. The third en suite was for Neil and Celeste. Neil was a sweetie, but Celeste was Liz's home girl, so I wasn't expecting us to get matching pedicures. 

I had the impression that Liz's arrival was not planned, and yet it seemed that it was expected by tradition, that she and Brian cajoled at least once before with the group for this vacation. Brian didn't explain the specifics of their traditions, but I watched Liz's body language. She supposedly had moved on, whatever that was. And this was reinforced by Greg. Nonetheless, that wasn't the energy she was displaying. This bitch was territorial.

"Can I show you to your suite beautiful?" Greg asked.

"Man, I have told you..." Brian repeated.

"Don't you have something else to do?" Greg uttered back to Brian.

This was the norm and Greg wasn't letting up. I told him no thanks, and I would get there just fine. Brian and Greg exchanged warnings and a few punches. 

"I will see you guys later. Nicole, are you ready?" Brian reached for my hand, and I stood up. He led me out the doors, down the cobblestone walk to his bungalow. I was finally alone with him and I needed to make good of the opportunity.

"So, you didn't mention that Liz would be here. Were you surprised?"

"It wasn't my intention to ask her because I wanted to be here with you. She knew I would be coming, but I didn't feel the need to inform her of my companions. I wasn't going to interfere with the routine of the vacation if she wanted to come. We all used to come up here, so all of us guys are kind of used to being together."

"H mm, well it just seems kind of weird being here with her and you, with this ‘group'. It seems like a family. And I feel like an outsider; a fifth wheel." I stated.

Brian slowed his paces and turned to face me. He was a nearly a foot taller than me. So that our eyes could meet he reached his hand towards my face and lifted my chin. My brown eyes were now showing some concern as they searched for reassurance within his hazel eyes.

"I don't want this to be weird for you." He said. "I invited you because I wanted to be with you. As unpredictable as these guys can be, I wanted you to meet them. I wasn't even sure Liz would come. Last I checked she was on business or something. But I promise you that she never factored into my decision to bring you. Nicole, I would never do anything to hurt you. She won't be here for the duration since she has to fly back on Monday for work. But, if this, in anyway makes you feel uncomfortable, we can go, if you want, or we can divert the group and do our own thing."

"No, no. That's not necessary." I said, touching his hand. A warm sensation radiated from the moment he his hand touched my face which extended to his finger tips. Our eyes locked for seconds but seemed like minutes, even hours. I thought he was going to kiss me. And he did. He gave me the most passionate forehead kiss, which made my center charged. "I am sure that I am mature enough to get through a few days, I guess". I managed to shake the thought of this from my head. It wasn't going to get another second of my attention.    
End Notes:
Ok...so Nicole has met "la familia" of Brian. And is really taking the bull by the horns.  She's going for diplomat here. No parameters are set.  Both Nic/Brian are feeling their way around each other. Thanks for reading!
Chapter 4 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
Introducing the drunk...
After Brian showed me to my personal en suite, nothing but a hot bath would console my aching butt and thighs. Dinner was set for the early evening and I wanted to be on time.

I put my MP3 player on my ears and listened to Anita Bakers Rhythm of Love playlist, gathered my toiletries and put them into my private bath. I lit my candles and lowered myself into the salted warm bath. The pulsating jets soothed my aching loins. I had guessed that by the time Anita's last song was finished, my bath would over.

Moments later, I could hear a knock on my suite door. "I'll be right out", I answered.

"I just didn't want you to turn into a raisin in there. I am sorry for startling you." Brian apologized for interrupting my serenity.

I dried off, smoothed my skin with lotion, sprayed on some body mist, and put on my robe. After fixing my hair, I was quickly dressed in cream leggings and matching sweater, and waiting in the main suite where the kitchen was. The hot bath with freesia salts had left me thirsty for a drink of water. 

"Hungry?" Brian asked.

I turned around to see the face that matched the voice. He was looking rather hot in his cable knit sweater and khaki's. 

"H mm...I am starved."

I would have been ok with ordering in, but this evening I really wanted Brian to have dinner in the main dining with the crew. I was reticent about it, but I was determined to make the effort of getting to know all of his friends. 

He reached for my hand and held it as we took the short walk out to the main lobby. It was quite comforting to hold his hand. It kept our paces in line with each others. But it also made me feel closer to him. It felt nice.

We all sat by the fire and waited for our table to be called. It wasn't very long after we arrived. Everyone was there waiting except Greg and Liz. I didn't really care where Liz was bunking as long as she wasn't in Brian's bungalow. Neil and Celeste had already left ahead of us and were waiting with the others. 

---

"So why are you guys so late?" asked Greg.

"Man, you just got here yourself." Brian scoffed.

"No, I was here before all of you. Of course I had to pull out a few chairs, help a few ladies down from their stools; you know how I do it." Greg sneered. 

"Hi guys, our table is ready" spoke JT. He and Kym lead the group of us to our table, followed by our greeter. Liz was already at the table being charmed by a cute little baby girl whose parents were seated next to ours.

"Oh she is adorable!" I said. Celeste who was best friends with Liz hardly said more than a few words to me. Kym was very chatty and made a conscience effort to get to know me. We were talking about everything from school to where I was planning on teaching. She was genuine; trying to make everyone feel comfortable. She continued to engage in conversation while JT left a message with someone on his phone.

We had our own personal waiter who took very good care of us. Brian had called ahead earlier and requested peach cobbler for me. We had a choice of chicken or beef. I had the roasted chicken with cheesy squash and new potatoes. Brian had the porterhouse, baked potato and green beans. The food was simply delicious. 

After looking over the night's itinerary, everyone decided to go to the piano bar, to the disco, and then make it up as they went from there. I was tired, sore, and full. All I could do was the piano bar, but just barely. I knew for sure there would be no faking it for me. So, after the group sang along with the maestro, I excused myself. Brian asked if I wanted him to stay in with me, but I thought he should spend the time with the guys. The other ladies were turning in early too for their spa day the next morning. Greg of course offered to walk me back to the bungalow. Brian kidded around, but you could tell he didn't trust him so he escorted me back himself. 

"I am sorry for being a party pooper." I spoke apologetically.

"Don't worry about it babe. I am going to have a few drinks with the guys and I will be home shortly," Brian returned.

I thought, "Home?" while undressing. I smiled and climbed into bed. I laid there for a few moments and suddenly I couldn't sleep. I reached for my MP3 player, but it needed to be charged. I checked my messages on the cell phone, then went out into the main suite. Celeste was coming into the room. She never said much to me for some reason she had a lot to say. It was likely the Apple Martini's that had loosened her up.

"Heya!"

"Hi" I replied.

"Couldn't sleep huh?" she asked.

"I was so tired at first and now too restless to sleep, I guess."

"Hmmp. I, I ner how thaat is." Her words were slurring. "Well, jess so yer know...I left the ‘broths...buttas...brothers' in the casino, mmm, k?"

"Ok. I am not worried." I wasn't about to engage her in conversation. My head nearly exploded waiting for her to form a few coherent words.

"Didd aye say ya werz, wuz? I am juss sayin'."

I grabbed a few snacks from the cupboard and came to sit before the t.v." I was about to put on Scarface when Celeste started up again.

"So, yer Brian's...fran, friend?" 

"Yes" I answered. 

"Humph...I sher miss us yer know, together. Brian and Liz"

"Oh...?"

"I don't get it. Thurrs two...wer like...pppaper and glue at Ferdson, Fordson. No one thought, I would hang in thurr with Neil...But he got his act together and now...now, wer going to be getting muh-reed...next spring."

"Congratulations" I offered Celeste. "Why are there so many credits to this movie...did they sneak some in?" I thought to myself.

"Thanks," she blurted out. "I guess yer know Liz...is my besssssssssst frayand...So you candunderstand what, why I want her to be happy? Nothin but the best for her, I want."

"Well, isn't she happy and enjoying the best?"

"Liz is a set wetter, jet wetter, hmm...set jetter, I mean jet...setter. She wants the career, and to leave...I dunno...her career is fers toer. Nuthin wrong...with that...she just wants to wait,..and wait...tuh be ready...finan...financially!"

"There is nothing wrong with that." I replied. "Damn, I love Tony Montana. He's cubano like me" I thought to myself.

"But see, Liz is so gonna find loneliness there...She's going to regret want it with Brian...I dunwanna...see her...to see her make a mistake she will hate herself for, someday...ya know."

"Yeah...I understand." No the hell I didn't. I wished she would just go to sleep.Scarface is one of my favorite movies, and I don't like talking during it no matter how many times I have seen it. I tried to ignore her hoping she would get the message and pass out or something...just go away. 

"No yuh don't. If yuh understood...yuh wouldn't be all up in herre."

"What?" Yep. There I was trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents...you can't reason with a drunk.

"Look, I know you..you herrre with Brian and...eesa a guhd guy../tha bess...un...I kin seeya...ya lik em. I lik you, Neecole? Issit? So ima tellyou...you...Liz...she...erman back...she wans awl she hassa do is say-ut...annahe whudda be rye-uttherre heatin' it up wuther ahgin...soyah dun git it wist...twist-ed."

There's nothing worse than a drunken bitch.    
End Notes:

I have to give it to Nic, she's being a real trooper, outsider and all. Trying to hide her growing attraction, while maintaining a safe distance from the 'delta force'. Thanks for reading!

Chapter 5 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
Chapter 5 has arrived! LOL! Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoy :)
One can usually count on the liquid courage to dispense the truth. And Celeste was giving me her interpretation of ‘Liz and Brian'. It made me uncomfortable hearing her go on and on about them. I had just begun to put my mind at ease after such a long and uncomfortable day. And now here she was scratching at the sore. "So Liz is the one who is calling the shots here?" I said to myself. Instead of watching the movie, I was hosting a drunken bitch rant and it was getting to be too much to stomach; that and her foul breath. I got up from my seat and quickly got dressed. 

I needed some air.

I walked down to the entertainment court, and who did I see, but Greg of course. I didn't want him to see me, so I eased onto the hallway before he noticed me. The gallery was closed for business but was open for viewing. I went inside. After looking at a few paintings I sat down on the bench near the atrium. My emotions were racing. I wasn't feeling the ground beneath me anymore. I suddenly was questioning everything and wanted to leave at that moment. This wasn't a good idea to come here. I knew I should have followed my mind. Better yet, I was offered to bail this ship, but no, I had to be the gracious one. I'll be dammed!

"H mm..." I pulled out my cell and called Peyton. "Hey girl, it's me. I just needed to talk for a few. I know you are asleep. So if you get this message call me ok. Love You!"

"You don't have to call me, I am here" a voice asked.

I looked up and it was Greg. His words caught me off guard. I laughed.

"Hi, and no I wasn't calling you Greg."

"Hey, everything ok?"

"Shouldn't they be ok? Why do you ask?" I replied.

"I'm just asking. I know how you women are. Ladies can be so hard on each other. And when I saw you, that look, all I could think about was how Brian described you. Hell, I wanted you for myself."

I blushed. It was clear Brian had been discussing me.

"Look, Brian and I are boys." He continued. "We go back a long way. I love him; he is my brother for life. But I don't think I have ever seen him so relaxed. And that has to be saying something about how special you are. So don't let Liz's jealousy get to you. I don't know you that well, but well enough to see that I would be lucky to have you for myself. So trust me when I tell you that Brian is off the market."

"I know, but..."

"Let me restate it for you. He wants to be with you, not Liz. And it's because he wants to be. Liz isn't controlling anything like she thinks. She's cool. I like her. But she needs to find her own way. Brian needs to be happy. I like seeing him happy for a change. So you, Sweet Lady, just keep being you. And don't worry about Liz. This friendship thing has been going on for years. It's like family. We are all like family. But families change. People leave it and it grows. And ours is open for new members."

"Thanks, Greg." I said and offered him a hug. He was bringing calm to a very rigid condition.

"No problem." He spoke gently.

---

After walking me back to the bungalow, we hugged again and bid each other a goodnight. I was way past ready to go to sleep. I went inside. I was hoping Celeste was in bed. Much to my dismay, it was Brian sitting in front of the television. Neil had obviously put his fiancée to bed. 

"Couldn't sleep?" he asked.

"No...restless, and I needed to take a walk."

"So did you have a good walk?"

"Yes. I did. I needed to think and it helped stretch out my sore muscles." I said.

"Yeah, I saw Greg walking you back. You two looked cozy there."

"Brian, it wasn't like that. I ran into him at the art gallery and he was kind enough to make sure I got in safely." 

Brian was really leveling for a fight. And why I wondered. I wasn't sure if he was jealous, displacing his discomfort with Liz's presence, or what. He wasn't himself for sure. Since he obviously had either ignored or just didn't hear what I said, I resigned to sit for a few a minutes before turning in. 

He kept his eyes on the television, talking at me instead of to me. I could tell he was annoyed and a bit miffed. But I wasn't in the mood to argue with him over this nonsense. It was late, and I was tired. This could definitely wait until morning as far as I was concerned. I got up from the chair and was headed towards my suite.

"Look, I'm tired, I'm..." I said. My eyes were sore and still stinging. I needed to sleep this emotion-filled day away. But Brian wasn't having that.    
End Notes:
What's up with Brian? Has he caught a vapor? Is he jealous? Read on to see what's the skinny with the cleft chin, dimply cheeked dude, with the great eyes!
Chapter 6 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:

Chapter 6, picking up...Welcome to the Chapter ride. Hope you Enjoy!

He pulled me onto his lap. I clumsily fell on top of him. His lips were hungrily upon mine. Too tired and too horny to fight him, so I gave in a little under his stronger grasp. He parted my lips with his for an even deeper kiss. I could feel his thighs open and my buttocks slid between his legs. His manhood swelled from the excitement. I could feel the wetness between my own legs preparing for him. I wanted him. I needed to feel some assurance of him with me. If he had wanted to carry me into his suite I wasn't about to fight it. 

We broke the kiss slightly. My lips were swelling from the urgency of his kiss. He spoke in a whisper, "I want you so bad Nicole. I need you."

I wanted him too but reality found me. Our gaze at each other said it all. I needed him too. "Nothing happened with Greg." I said.

He kissed me passionately all over my face and neck. And then our lips found each others again. He held me with one arm and caressed my thighs with his free hand. Cradling me in his arms, he then carried me into his suite and placed me on the bed. We continued our kisses. His erection was like a steel pipe against the inside of my thighs. He pulled my sweater over my head and ran his hand across my flat belly and caressed my breasts. Taking one into his mouth and then the other; he found the center of my thighs. I was soaking wet. He pulled off my leggings and my panties. His strong hand covered my partially shaven vagina, tracing the outer lips with his finger.

"So wet, h mm." he murmured. I was on fire. I couldn't stop. I wanted him so bad and my head was spinning. He kissed every inch of me, but never took off his pants. I wasn't sure he was going to, but I felt his hardness and I reached for his pants. His feathery kisses up my legs sent shivers down my spine and to my clitoris. 

I could feel my lover's finger enter me. It was large. I was tight. He kissed me all the way up to my neck. I thought his finger would be replaced with his large phallus. But his face found its way to my clitoris and he was set to dive right in. Brian lapped at me hungrily, devouring my sex with his mouth. I was struggling to hang on as he fed himself from the emissions of my body. He grabbed my tiny legs and draped them over his shoulders. I was feeling my orgasm well up in me and I was about to explode. He inserted a finger inside but continued to lick my clitoris. I grabbed the sheets with clinched fists and pounded them as my hips bucked. I cried out. 

"Cum for me" he moaned. My back arched upwards, my hands clinched the sides of his face. 

And I let go, all over him. 

He continued to kiss me softly. My body was raw nerves and I was shaking. Tears poured from my eyes. It was as if I was set free...of my pain. Every ounce of lost, pain, uncertainty, everything was set loose. 

I wanted more. I needed him inside of me. 

I wanted him to feel what he had just given me. Instead he lifted me ever so lightly from the bed and guided me under the sheets. There, we held each other close as the aroma of our passion filled the air. 

"M mm Nicole, do you have any idea what you do to me?" he asked, while kissing the side of my face. I lay naked under the covers shivering and warm. Our bodies were so hot that I couldn't imagine clothes on. I turned my face so that our mouths could find each others. "I want you, but I am so tired. And I need to take my time with you, not force myself inside you. I don't want to hurt you."

"It's ok. Just hold me." Holding each other was all I needed. 

"I can do that" he said and then wrapped those strong arms around me and we cuddled through the night.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading...hang on for the ride, the tailspins, the loops, etc. ;-)
Chapter 7 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
Little heat...just a lil bit to wet the appetite. Chapter 7 is here. ;)
I could see the sun peaking into the bay windows. I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders. I wanted to sleep in. And Brian seemed content with that option. I looked over my shoulder at him and that slight movement caused him to snuggle up a little closer to me. I realized I was wearing his shirt. I surely didn't remember much. Tired, and drunk from that amazing orgasm left me clueless. My head fell back to the pillow and my movement awakened him. I felt a kiss on my neck and he pulled me towards him as we nestled in for a few more hours of slumber.

Waking to the gentle tickle of his kisses on my shoulder, it was clear to me that this was no dream. Brian and I had not completely given our selves to each other last night, but a part of me was shared. It was sex. Maybe not intercourse, but it was certainly sex. Brian was so full of passion and want. He was determined, but not selfish. In an instant I went from feeling very satisfied, to feeling incomplete and a little embarrassed.

"Good afternoon" he whispered. 

"Afternoon? Oh my goodness!" I jumped up in surprise. 

"I'm kidding" he said. "It's just a little after 10. Breakfast is still in the hall. But we can order anything we want all day if you want to stay in." 

I turned towards him and smiled. His eyes glistened. So s.exy! He gently pulled strands of hair from my face.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked.

"I wasn't sure at first where I was." I returned. I had actually thought this was a dream and I was in my own bed.

"I didn't mean to get so carried away last night." He continued. "I don't know what came over me. I did want you. Hell, I have wanted you for a long time now" he admitted, while running a hand through his thick brunette mane, then planting a soft kiss on my lips.

"I was feeling a bit all over the place last night. I kept thinking 'why didn't you take the low road and get off this mountain'. But Greg was very reassuring."

"I bet he was." Brian said with a Cheshire grin. "Greg is always so smooth with the ladies."

"Well I am not going to apologize to you Brian, for Greg being a gentleman last night. I won't do it. I think it's ridiculous that you would think your sands would play you like that. Greg is charming. But he's your friend. If you have a problem with him, that's you and him. Don't pull me into that." And in that instant I rose from the bed and grabbed my clothes. 

"Damn!" A great moment wasn't going to be ruined. 

"Wait...Nic" he interjected. "I have been thinking about this week for a while. What I would do, the places I could show you. I had all of this anxiety and then...you wanted to turn in early, but I get back to the bungalow and you weren't home. Then I wait up for you, and then I see you and Greg hugging. I trust you. But Greg, he's my boy and all but he and you...you...I can't imagine. I needed to be with you. I just hope you wanted me." 

His admission of insecurity was surprising to me. I too had my own. "I wanted to be with you. I just didn't want our time to be measured by a pissing contest with you and Greg." I returned.

He quickly reached from behind me, grabbing me by the waist, and pulling me into his arms. "I don't want you to go." He said. "Do you think it's remotely possible for us to move pass this?" he asked, hugging me tighter.

"I don't want to seem irrational Brian. So when I say this may have been a mistake, I mean just that. I wanted to have a good time. I had my reservations at first. Then you told me everything would settle down. I just don't think that meeting Liz and the group at the same time was a good thing." I said while freeing myself from his hold. All I wanted to do was get into a warm shower, miles from there. He was trying, but having intimacy with him was beginning to unravel me. "I shouldn't have come" I thought to myself. This was turning sour quick.

"Let me order us some room service and we can spend the day in the bungalow." He whispered in my ear while he planted tender kisses on my ear and neck.

I was hungry, thirsty, and a little pissed off. But I was not running for diplomat this time. Staying in the bungalow seemed like a great idea. Tomorrow Princess Bitch would be leaving and the next two days would be better. 

Brian ordered me a spinach and Gouda cheese omelet with turkey sausage and mushroom gravy. He had the Paul Bunyon: 4 hotcakes, 2 strips of bacon, 2 sausage links, hash browns, and a scrambler. The man had a hearty appetite. I had eaten so much I was feeling sleepy, but instead we watched a little television. Celeste and Neil were up and out already. She must have been used to getting hammered and springing up in the morning. I could never do it.

"I have a surprise for you." 
End Notes:
Awe...help a brotha out. He's struggling here. Feeling this girl for a bit and now he's got her in is lair, with no plan. He's definitely not a playa. So cut my boy some slack...k! Cool
Chapter 8 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:

He's got a surprise...read on to see what! Chapter 8~ Enjoy!

"You have a choice of wraps, but your package comes with an aromatherapy massage, pedicure, and manicure. The facial comes with that too" explained the technician. "Mr. Santi asked that we take really good care of you" she continued. 

I beamed! That was the best surprise ever! He was surely making up for the inadequacies of the past two days. And the best part, Liz was 30 thousand feet in the air. My only care for the next few hours would be picking a nail polish. 

After my seaweed wrap and massage, I was served lunch and the facial immediately followed. 

"Ms. Mendes, there is a message for you."

"Really, thanks." I accepted the little envelope. In side was a card. 

[Hi sweetie, I hope you are enjoying being pampered. I will be out hunting with the guys. I am looking forward to joining you for dinner. Yours, Brian]

"Wow" was all I could say. I couldn't hide my joy. Yesterday the ladies had a group spa retreat and of course I wasn't included in that. It was something they had already planned. Appointments were tight. At most, all I could hope to get was a manicure/pedicure. I was sure those spa packages were expensive and hard to book at the last minute so I inquired on my way to the nail tech lounge.

"How much time in advance do you have to book these?" I asked.

"We usually ask that you order at least 2-3 weeks ahead so that all of your services are available" she responded. "Many of our guests know in advance when they book the trip and so they make their orders ahead of time. It's cost effective. You have to pay per diem for each service, but it's set up as a package." She continued.

I knew it had to be quite costly for Brian to pull this together at the last minute. I put my MP3 player on Anita Bakers playlist and reclined to enjoying the rest of my day. 

For a little while,
We know what heartache is 
And we feel the pain the world can sometimes bring
For a little while,
We cry in the night without a single song to sing
But one day all will change
There will be no more stormy rain
Then at last we will rest forever more

chorus:
So if you're in the valley (if you're in the valley now) 
And life is so unkind (life is so unkind)
And if your tears keep falling (if your tears keep falling)
From your tired eyes (from your eyes)
Your burden seem so heavy (your burden seem so heavy now)
And its hard to smile (so hard to smile)
You must remember (you better remember)
It's only for a while...

album cover

Lyrics: by Anita Baker, "Only For A While" from the Rhythm of Love CD.  

 

---

 

After dinner that evening, Brian and I had a Bailey's Crème. A storm was on watch and the lodge shut down the slopes. We all decided to meet at the karaoke bar. JT and Greg bought the first two rounds of drinks for everyone. Celeste and Kym excused themselves to go to the ladies room. I joined them. 

"So, what did you do today?" Kym asked me.

"I spent the day at the spa". I answered.
"That must have been expensive," Celeste chimed in.

"I wouldn't know." I returned.

"H mm." said Kym. "Well, you go girl!" she said, nudging my arm. "Brian is a great guy. He knows how to treat a lady."

"We went shopping for candles." Celeste interjected, and was so out of place. 

I guess she just had to insert herself into the conversation. I am sure she really didn't care to hear that Brian had obviously treated me to a fancy spa day. I wasn't trying to brag, but the nosy heifers wanted to know and I obliged them. Kym was always graceful. Celeste--that Liz hip attachment! 

"So are you and Brian dating?" Celeste asked. 
"Celeste!" Kym exclaimed. "That's not our business."

Damn right it wasn't. I was not about to explain something that Brian and I hadn't discussed yet. We were simply trying to reach other and doing it on our own watch. I liked Kym from go, but still she was Liz's friend too. She didn't know me from a can of paint. I wasn't discussing my business.

"Good girls, never tell." I replied.

We returned to the tables and I could see that Brian was tipping the emcee. Neil was up next to the mic and soon he was belting out: 

*You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.
You'd be like Heaven to touch.
I wanna hold you so much.
At long last love has arrived
And I thank God I'm alive.
You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.


He sounded pretty good. It was a great dedication to Celeste. The crowd and Pátron tequila was cheering him on: 

*I love you, baby,
And if it's quite alright,
I need you, baby,
To warm a lonely night.
I love you, baby.
Trust in me when I say:
Oh, pretty baby,
Don't bring me down, I pray.
Oh, pretty baby, now that I found you, stay
And let me love you, baby.
Let me love you.


"Ok. It's your turn man" Neil said to Brian.

"No, I won't do it. I will leave the balladeers to the mic". He said.

"Awe, c'mon man...you're not going to punk out are you?" asked Greg.

JT accused Brian of holding back because I was there. 

"I will sing with you." I offered.

Finally after a little more coaxing, Brian took a shot of tequila and jumped from his seat.

"I have never heard of this song, you?" 

"No, thank goodness we have the words." I grinned with uncertainty. But we gave it try. The music started...


**Chorus:
Everything I feel is you
Everything that's real is you
Everything within my view
All I see is you
Everything good that I do
Everything right and true
Wanna spend my whole life through
With you, with you



I was really getting into it and was feeling the words. There was an immense amount of passion put into every line. After we finished the song everyone was on their feet. Brian kissed me on the cheek and then our lips touched quickly. I was sort of stunned to silence. But it was fun. The last time I did that I was singing Shirley Bassey's "Hey Big Spender" at a piano bar on a cruise ship. That's another story.

*You're Just to Good to Be True lyrics originally scored by Andy Williams

**lyrics and music clip: All About You are courtesy of Renee Elise Goldsberry and Terron Brooks.  

End Notes:
Hope you get to listen to the tracks...gah Karoake is fun! Patron the cheer leader! Thanks for punching your ticket. Step this way.............................
Chapter 9 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:

Welcome to Ch. 9. Enjoy the vacation! :)

I couldn't get the song out of my head. 

It had been a great day. My five foot frame felt about 10 feet tall. I suddenly had a burst of energy and wanted to try skiing again but of course the slopes were closed due to that storm warning. Everyone decided to return to their suites. Humming the words which I couldn't quite recall, I was so determined to remember at least the title. I wanted that song on my playlist.

Snuggling up by the fire, Brian kissed me on the neck. His words were translated by his actions. I laid there on the sofa in his arms cradling his face and kissing him with no end in sight. 

Brian broke from our kiss. "Nicole, I hope that today was step in the right direction for us. I'm not really good with words, but I am sorry and I hope that you had a good time?" 

I did. It was the best day in a long time. We kissed some more and became so entranced in our passion for each other that a short time had passed before we realized an alert was coming through from the main office.

[We interrupt this program to bring you a special weather report...We advise that all patrons remain in their bungalows until further notice. This is a storm watch.] the message repeated again.

"Oh my goodness" I said, frightened.

"Don't worry" Brian reassured me. "It's not unusual for this to happen. Likely the only inconvenience we will have is that the main hall will close and we will have to stay in our bungalows. We have plenty of supplies and food. We'll be alright." 

He seemed quite sure. I was at peace with that for the moment. I wasn't hungry but we had food in the canteen. Likely the roads would be a mess in the morning if the storm ceased by then. At most we would be delayed getting home by a day or two. To Brian, it was no surprise. He said that it had happened once before a few years ago. 

"So where were we?" he interrupted my thought. The next second his lips had found mine. I felt safe and comfortable with his last words. My heart was racing as I clung to Brian for safe keeping. I felt his warm strong hand slide up my back under my sweater and around to cup the form of my breasts.

I broke from the kiss. "Brian, sweetie...what about Neil, and Celeste...what if they come...in?" 

"So let them." He returned, still kissing me between words.

"No, baby, I think we should check on them. Make sure everyone is safe." I said, worried, again.

"You aren't going to let this rest are you?" he asked. "Fine."

I could tell that Brian was trying his best to get romantic, but Neil and Celeste were our suite mates. We hadn't heard from them in a while, so I wanted to be sure, for everyone that they were at least safe inside. 

"Ok. Every one is good." I could hear him say just moments later. 

I decided not to keep him waiting any longer. Surely he wouldn't find me where he had last checked. I could hear him say "damn". I called out to him from my suite "Nothing like a hot shower?"

"A shower?" he flubbed. He was frozen and stuttering. I was enjoying every second of the seduction.

"Of course, and I definitely think the possibility of our losing water pressure is imminent" I continued, while unhooking my bra. I flung it over my shoulder. I turned towards him holding my left arm across my breasts. "So, what do you think?"

He stuttered, "I...I...definitely think, wow!"

"You think what?" I asked, quite amused.

"About, what?" he managed to articulate and staring at my form.

"I suggest water conservation. What about you? Do you want to?" I continued.

"Want to...of course" he floundered.

"Well, the shower is running, and I, well I believe in going green. See-ya under the sprays" I said. Then I kissed the cleft in his chin seductively and flossed it with my tongue.

It was as if his clothes all flew off in one felt swoop. My hair was barely wet under the overhead jet when Brian's form appeared. He reached for me and my body melted into his. I thought the water had warmed me, until I felt his erection against my belly. 

Burrowing deep kisses into my neck, on my face, then my lips parted in time to meet his tongue. His strong arms caressed me from neck, then down back. "You are so bad, but so good" he said, and then lowered me down to the shower floor. Those strong fingers I so love reached through my thighs and caressed my firm butt, stroking it and grabbing it, his index finger found the center of my gravity. I couldn't avoid moaning with pleasure. It was so good. It felt so right. His lips and hands explored every inch of my frame before he slipped on a condom and positioned himself inside me. I clung to him. Wrapping my legs around him, I adjusted my hips so that he could go deeper. 

He was large, I was wet, and soon the water was cold spraying down upon us. But the warmth of our bodies generated enough heat to sustain us. I could feel him slide out of me. Not much coherency between us except with our bodies. They were communicating, with all of the necessary language the two of us could sense. My head was dizzy with passion. All I could think in that moment was the amazing orgasm he treated me to a few days ago. "Can I have you again?" he asked and kissed me gently on the lips. I acquiesced. I think he could tell I was losing my stride, because he pulled out once again and kissed me passionately, from my breasts down to the soft curls of my love tunnel. I began to lose myself gradually and he would teasingly pull back. He inserted a finger and continued to lick my juices. Suddenly, I let out a scream and my thighs tightened around his strong arms. I arched my back as I could feel the blood rushing to that area. Bucking my hips, I grabbed his head and his hair slid through my fingers. I had nothing to hold on to, and then I exploded and let out a restless whimper. "That's what I wanted to see, baby" I could here him say just before he entered me again. After a few deep strokes of his sex, he stiffened giving me several quick pulses. As I was relaxing a little from my first orgasm, Brian withdrew himself from my body and we both released together one last time.

---

The next morning the roads were announced clear. The group decided to heed the warning and head out back home. I slept the entire drive back. Brian kept nudging me. Usually I am better company on long drives. But I was dropping in and out of consciousness. All I could think as I dreamed was the karaoke song and the closeness I was feeling with him.

After he dropped me off at home, we made plans for dinner the following day. We continued to see each other and spent the greatest part of the weeks that followed together. It all seemed like one big honeymoon.     
End Notes:
Oh...honeymoon. Liz? And what ish could there be? Hang on for the ride! Thanks for staying afloat!
Chapter 10 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
Peyton's a great friend. You'll get to see more in the coming chapters, that she's a ride or die chick on the team for sure! Every one needs one like this! Pics of Nic's dress...Enjoy the read of Ch. 10.

"So you little slut, tell me all about it".

"Peyton!" I exclaimed.

"Well, sorry but it seems that since my hubby is in the gulf, I have to live vicariously through your sex life, Miss Nicole" she taunted.

"I am not telling...good girls never do." I returned.

"Well, you are indeed a good girl. I am so happy for you both. You deserve it after everything you have been through." 

"Yeah, I never thought that I could feel this way. I have to admit that all of this sex he is putting on me is overwhelming" I admitted.

"You are in love" she announced.

"I feel so comfortable with him and we have such a good time together. But I haven't met his parents" I said.

"Well, has he met Mama Mendes?" 

"No. But that's different."

"How?"

"Well, it's not different. I mean...guys are always meeting my mother. I am not sure I am ready to introduce him. I want to meet his parents first. Mamá would adore him. For once, I would like to meet the guy's parents first." I argued.

"Why is that? I mean you are worried that he has not let you meet his parents. Is that fair?" she protested. "So when are you going to let me give him the once over?"

"Neil and Celeste are getting married next month. You should come and be my unofficial date. That way you can meet everyone. He has some cool friends. Now you have to watch out for Greg. That's his 'boy'. He is a huge flirt. But he's a nice." 

"I am married", said Peyton. "And I thought you and Brian would be going together?" she continued.

"I know. I am not trying to steamroll Joel. But I need you as my date for that wedding. Brian is in the party and will be hanging out to support Neil and Co. And that leaves me without anyone to talk to." I said.

"No problem girl, you know I have your back. What are you going to wear? You know what, never mind. We are going to find you a killer dress. If Brian doesn't throw a fit over the men pawing at you, then we'll return it" she carefully noted.

I wasn't trying to outshine the bride, although Celeste was quite a bitch towards me on the mountains. I didn't want to look as if Brian and I weren't together, so Peyton helped me choose a color to coordinate with the bridesmaids. As you know Liz was Celeste best friend, and thus her maid of honor and that left Brian as the best man. I didn't want to elaborate too much to Peyton about the specifics of the ski trip or Liz. I wanted her to meet the group and then give me her objective opinion about them. 

The colors of the wedding were cream and black. I decided to go with a black dress. It wasn't easy. I fancied a jersey dress or Venetian lace. Peyton said that one wasn't formal enough and other made me look matronly. Finally we settled on a fuchsia satin sweetheart cocktail dress. It detracted a little from my original desire for black or cream. But Peyton suggested that since I wasn't in the party, I shouldn't look like I was, but at the same time be a screaming distraction for Brian.

---

Peyton got a call at the last minute from Joel which left me alone to fend for myself for a few minutes longer than I intended. I felt as nervous as a hooker in church, but still felt sexy as ever. I knew that Brian's parents might be there but I wasn't sure. The wedding was beautiful. Of course Liz was escorted by Brian, which didn't bother me one bit. The moment he saw me outside the church our eyes met. Greg of course left the party to come drool all over my shoulder when he hugged me. Liz was a tart as usual. Kym was gracious as ever and invited me for a lunch date. Celeste was caught up in the bliss. This was her special day. And she was a beautiful bride. 

After the wedding party took photos outside the church we all met up at the reception hall, Roma's of Bloomfield. It was the most beautiful thing you ever saw. I gave the hostess my name.

"Nicole Mendez & Guest, you are seated at table seven."

"Where the hell was Peyton?" I cried. And then I receive a text that she was lost and needed directions. I was feeling that awkward feeling, which was why I needed Peyton there. I was sure I would kill her if she didn't walk in that door soon.

A loud applause filled the air, and the coordinator announced that the bride and groom were on their way. I didn't expect them to be on time. The wedding party's never arrive to the reception on time. So while I waited for Peyton and the guests of honor I went to the appetizer buffet that had cheeses, crackers, deli meats, fruits, veggies, and petits fours, and stopped by the punch fountain. There was an open bar serving cocktails, but I wasn't feeling that, however I didn't want orange-pineapple punch. So I went to the bar for a ginger ale. The line wasn't very long.

"Do you need any help, can I take something for you?" a handsome middle-aged gentleman asked. 

"Thank you so much." I replied.

"Where are you sitting?" he asked.

"At table seven."

"OK, I will help you get seated. So, are you friends or family of the bride or the groom?"

"I guess you could say I am an acquaintance of both."

"Well, here we are...table seven. Enjoy."

"Thank you, again." Wow. That was a nice man, I thought. I really didn't know any one there, just a few familiar faces in the crowd, some university folks, likely friends of the party. That was my reason for summoning Peyton to join me. 

Nicole's Dress front

NICOLE'S DRESS FRONT

 

Nicole's Dress rear

NICOLE'S DRESS REAR 

End Notes:

Next one on the way! Say...even the best pilots need a wing man!Wink

Chapter 11 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
So that's a handsome and gallant guy...welcome to the next chapter.

"You started eating without me?"

"P, I needed something to do. I was getting bored waiting for you to get here. But I am glad you are here, finally."

"H mm, are those the appetizers?" she asked. "I can just bet that the main courses are going to rock."

"Go get your own. You are not going to eat up my delicacies and then I have to make another trip to the buffet line como una puerca." (like a pig)

"Would you like to dance?" spoke the voice of that distinguished gentleman who helped me to the table a little earlier.

"Do you think your wife would mind?" I asked.

"My wife sprained her ankle, and she's in a cast. She wouldn't mind."

"Ok, I guess, if it's ok with her. Excuse me Peyton."

What a graceful man. Very light on his feet, and then the announcement came. 

"The bridal party is pulling in to the drive" the coordinator announced. 

My dance partner asked me my name, kissed my hand,and thanked me for the dance. We clapped for the entry of the party. "Thank, you John" I obliged.

We went back to our tables. I signaled to Brian who found me in the crowd. In a short while the bride and groom, Celeste and Neil, were strolling around greeting their guests. An announcement for dinner was made. But the only thing I was looking forward to was a dance with Brian. I knew he would be yanked from one end of the hall to the other taking pictures. And then Liz was giggling like a silly school girl. 

"Hi, sweetie" and he planted a soft sexy kiss on my cheek. 

"Hey hun. Oh, Brian, this is my friend Peyton."

"Hi Peyton. It's good to finally meet you. Save me a dance, babe?"

"Of course!"

"I am holding you to it. I can't seem to find my parents. I can't wait for them to meet you." He ended, and was soon back, in front of cameras and flashes. Everyone looked gorgeous still, but a little more relaxed. Ties were undone, slippers replaced sling backs, and the little flower girls without their baskets were now bouncing around kissing the ring bearer.

"He seems like a really great guy." Peyton said.

"He is." I returned.

"Well it sure seems that dress called him from across the room, and that older guy pawing you, what was up with that?"

"There is nothing wrong with dancing Peyton. I am sure Liz will be pawing over Brian when he gives her that traditional sympathy dance required of the best man and maid of honor." And soon the bride and groom were called to the dance floor for the traditional festivities. Celeste danced with her dad to Butterfly Kisses by Bob Carlisle. Neil cut in. And then the entire party joined in. A Whole New World was the bride and grooms theme song which the deejay mixed it up with Every Time I Close My Eyes, by Babyface. And right on key, Liz was blushing and beaming eating it up for all it was worth. She would have her moment. And then the rest of Brian's dances were mine.

"I sure wish this was Brian's and Liz's day" I heard a voice say. I turned around, and found that voice. It belonged to an attractive middle-aged woman, with dark hair and hazel eyes. Of course my heart was tearing it's way from my chest. "Did I hear that right?" I asked myself. 

"What did she say?" asked Peyton.

"You heard it right." I returned.

"Hey, sweetie. You look gorgeous. I am going to have to kidnap you...Hey Mom, Dad" It was my gentleman caller and the Liz cheer leader. They were Brian's parents. "Wow, you two have been sitting next to each other all night. Mom, Dad, this is Nicole Mendes. Nicole, this is my mom Vanessa, and my dad John."

"Hello, who is she Brian?" his mom asked.

"Well, she is a very special friend." 

"Ah, well it's nice to meet you, Nicole."

"Yes, Nicole was gracious enough to dance with me." His dad said.

"Oh really, well dad, you have your date, this one is mine...Mom, how is your ankle?"

"It's much better. Liz took me to the market last week. She's such a sweet heart. I..."

"...yeah, well Mom, Dad, if you don't mind, I am going to steal this beautiful lady away for a dance." Brian quickly interrupted her sonnets of praise on Liz. Typical mother! She would have to make room for me, because I wasn't planning on dropping out of Brian's sight.

I couldn't help but chuckle. There was Vanessa, his mom trying hard to stick her one good foot into her mouth, again. I must say, she is akin to Liz. No wonder she was singing her praises. They come from the same cloth. I didn't care. I was glad to meet his parents in an informal way. There would be no pressure for pretenses. Brian introduced me as a special friend. And I was ok with that. We were getting there slowly, growing closer everyday. 

Brian pulled me close on the dance floor for a slow ballroom set after the line dance rounds concluded. 

"I apologize for my mother." He whispered.

"You don't need too. I realize she's a fan of Liz."

"Well, she can be Liz's friend all she wants. But my dad get's no more dances from you." And he quickly dipped me before I could respond. I felt eyes upon us. I felt s.exy, adored, and envied. I was dancing with the hunkiest guy in the entire hall. And I didn't care about his mother. His dad seemed to like me and that was enough.

"Best Man's Toast"

Brian was called to the podium:

"Neil and I have been friends since grade school. We had a lot of fun over the years. I think he is a guy that rises to just about any challenge. Celeste included. I love you both. May your life together be long and joyous, but not so happy that you forget your best friend (me)!" Loud applauses and champagne toasts commenced, at the conclusion of several toasts.

"Maid of Honor Toast"

Liz was called to the podium:

"May you both live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live. I love you both."

As large as their party was, it's a good thing they reserved the toasting to the couple to just the best man and maid of honor or else we would have all needed cabs.

At the end of the evening as Neil and Celeste received their final toast, the limo driver whisked them away to their honeymoon destination. Brian walked me to the car. I could here Liz asking Vanessa if she needed anything for the pain. "Drama queen" I thought.

"Call me when you get home, babe." Brian asked and kissed me on the cheek. Peyton was waiting to trail me home.

"Ok. I will." 

Brian's Parents

JOHN and VANESSA SANTI 

End Notes:
I love weddings...especially the toasts, the favors, the fun...Next up soon~
Chapter 12 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
Welcome to the next Chapter...and the other drama queen!

One of the things that I have always loved about Brian was that he never let me drive home alone. If I did, he insisted that I call him the moment I was inside. And it was customary for us to check in with each other even if we didn't talk mouth to ear everyday. So when I made the attempt to reach him that evening and all I got was his voice mail, I was a little concerned. I hardly slept any way before the phone rang several hours into the morning. It was Brian. His mother had to be rushed to the hospital. 

"Do you need me to come there, to be with you?" I asked.

"No, it's late Nic and I don't want you out this late driving."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I really don't need to add to my worries tonight."

"Well how is she?" I asked. It seemed his mom had fallen trying to get out of the car. His dad was there, but they had been exchanging some words on the drive home and she didn't want his help up the stairs. Stubborn woman!

"I think she will just be here over night. The Ortho-Specialist will be in around 10 this morning. And we'll know more then," he added.

I called him the next day and I met him at the hospital. He had stayed over night. When I arrived Liz was there hovering of course. 

"She's such a nice girl" Vanessa lauding praises on Liz.

"Hi, Mrs. Santi, this is for you." I brought her a card and balloon. She thanked me but she was focused on the plant and the cannoli's, a Sicilian pastry that Liz brought her. I didn't know if it was her favorite or she was trying to show up my card and balloon. But again, I wasn't playing her game. 

"Brian, you really need to get some sleep honey, why don't you let Liz take you home." His mom suggested.

"Thanks, Liz, for offering but my girl is here to pick me up." Brian replied.

"Where, oh, Nikki...is it?" Liz interrupted.

"No, Liz, it's Nicole, all day, every day...Be well ma, Dad is coming right after work. If you need anything he said leave him a message on his cell and he would stop by the house and pick it up for you."

"That was rude, Brian." I whispered to him as we walked towards the elevators.

"You think? My ma needs to quit with the marionette strings. Liz is there for my mother. And with my sister away, I realize her dependence on Liz. But sometimes my mom needs to just pull back a little and stop encouraging Liz."

"Well have you discussed me with your parents?" I asked.

"They know that you are a special part of my life and my dad is my dad. He likes you, probably too much. But he wants me to be happy. He's a guy, you know."

"Well, he's a great dancer. You have his dimples and your mom's eyes." 
Brian had a sister in the military. I hadn't met her yet of course. But he talked so much of her. She went in right after graduation, determined to not let 'Vanessa' dictate her life plan. I supposed that Liz was her go-to daughter; who Vanessa could order around. Brian was to be the prize, I guess. But now that Brian and Liz were exes, his mom was constantly making a fuss over the wonders of Liz. 

"You want to get a latte?" he asked.

End Notes:
Hoped you enjoyed. Next chapter coming soon!
Chapter 13 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
I like to call this Voice Mail Blues...Chapter 13.
Voice Mail: 
[Hey, Nicole. It's Brian. I have a little of a problem. I am at a meeting with my dad in Grand Blanc and my ma is getting an early discharge this morning. I was wondering if you could give her a ride. Well, since you aren't home, I will try to see if I can get her a ride. Thanks babe. I will try your cell. Have a good day.]

I checked the time stamp. "Oh my goodness!" I thought, and rushed out immediately to the hospital when I couldn't get Brian on the phone. And the info desk at the hospital couldn't give me any info. I was nervous, sweaty, from my workout but determined that If I could do this one thing for her, maybe she would soften up a little.

---

"Why are you here?" His mom shouted at me.

"I don't know Mrs. Santi, I got in from my workout and Brian said you needed a ride."

"He doesn't know, my daughter is on her way," she rumbled.

"Are you sure? Heyden is in the states?"

"No, my daughter Liz. He shouldn't have troubled you."

"It's really no problem." I offered. But she was stubborn. I didn't want to upset her any more than she was. And personally I didn't care to be driving 'Ms Daisy' any way. She seemed so sure of Liz's arrival, so I left. Not more than a few minutes after I got home from the store picking up groceries, I get another call from Brian wondering where his mom was. 

"Hey, sweetie!" I said.

"Did you get my message?"

"Yes. I did. I tried to call but I couldn't reach you. So I went over to the hospital. Your mom declined the ride. She said her daughter Liz was on the way and that I should go."

"Liz?"

"Yes, Liz!"

"Nicole, Liz isn't picking mom up. She's not in town. I just got a call from mom she took a cab home."

"A cab?" I said.

"Yes. The concierge called her a transport ride because she said no one showed."

"Brian, sweetie I was there. I didn't even stop for lunch. I headed right over to the hospital. I swear. Your mom said Liz was picking her up and she didn't want to trouble me."

"Well, babe, I got a call from dad. He said mom had reamed him out good about us leaving her without a ride and that she had to ride home with strangers."

"Oh, honey I am sorry for the confusion. She didn't want to ride with me, I guess."

"Don't worry about it. How was your day?"

Wow. Brian's mother was a brat. I couldn't believe she let me come all the way to the hospital to turn me away. And then was too proud to let me take her home. It was obvious she built too much stock in Liz and was disappointed that she didn't have her 'daughter' to ride her home. Brian didn't seem sincere when he asked me about my day. He seemed upset with me for leaving his mother hanging. I didn't know what he was thinking. But it was awkward. 

We had movie night the next night and he called to cancel. He said his mother had him running errands and he was too tired and didn't want to ruin the evening. "Ruin the evening?" That's something you say when you are having a date with someone you have just met. That's not what you say to someone who you have been intimate with, dating on the regular. Hell if he fell asleep, so what? Falling asleep is allowed. I just wanted him to be with me. I didn't care much about the movie or the damn popcorn. Now I was pissed. "Was he blowing me off?"

Well our conversations were not connecting over the next few weeks. He was busy at the dealership with his dad. I thought he was going to be teaching. He seemed to be spending more and more time at the dealership. So I thought I would call him up and take him to lunch. 

"Hi honey!"

"Hey, what's happening? Haven't heard from you in a few days."

"Well I haven't changed my number."

"Hello?"

"I am still here. I said I haven't changed my number."

"So what's that supposed to mean Nicole? I just was making an observation, babe."

"Look, Brian, we haven't spoken in a few days and I missed you. I thought I would invite you to lunch."

"I missed you too. I have been busy with my mom, and dad has me working at the dealership."

"Well do you get a lunch?"

"Yeah, I get to eat."

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"Brian, would you be available today...to join me for lunch?"

"Babe, I would love to, but I can't. I am swamped."

"Well, how about if I bring you lunch?"

"My dad sent out for delivery. So I am going to see what's in the service."

"Oh. Ok. Well it's not a big deal. I just wanted to see you."

"I want to see you too. We'll do something. Let me call you a little later."

"Sure." 

"Ok, I'll see you. Bye"

"Bye honey." I said,but so pissed! 

I missed him so much and was looking forward to seeing him. And he was acting so distant and cold. I know he was being pulled in two directions by his parents. But this was weighing on me because he wasn't saying anything. See that is why I never liked that dating thing. You start off all sweet, cuddly, and lusting for each other. Then you get hooked. Then you start with the phone tagging shit. I so hated that.

Peyton tried to reassure me to give Brian some space because he had a lot on his plate with school, work, and his parents pulling him every which way. I had given Brian plenty of space, for sure. Space is ambiguous. Her man was hundreds of miles away. That was really easy for her to say.     
End Notes:

Thanks for reading. Next Chapter up soon!

Chapter 14 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
Ah...Ch. 14
Brian and I spent the better part of the following weeks playing tag. We spoke but briefly. When we were together, it was special. But it seemed so rushed. I guess. the honeymoon was over and the reality of our lives would some how have to be juggled amidst our budding love. 

My sweetie wasn't relaxed. 

This was a man who would make love for hours. And it had at times become habit. He didn't seem overloaded. But again, Peyton said give him some space. What the hell was that again? Well, I wanted to go to the movies to see Devil's Advocate. Peyton and I had a matinee date to the movies. I was all set and ready to go and guess who called me.

"Hey"

"Hey, sweetie. What's up?"

"You."

"Me."

"Yes, you. What are you doing?"

"I am getting dressed."

"Oh, what are you dressing for?"

"Peyton and I are going to catch a matinee and grab lunch."

"Well, tomorrow I am having dinner with my parents, and I want you to join me if you aren't busy. I know it's short notice but..."

"Dinner, with your parents? That sounds...serious." I offered.

"Well, I have missed you babe. I am really sorry that we haven't been spending any time together lately. I hope to make that up to you. And since I talk so much about you guys to each other, I thought why not have dinner."

"Well, I am not doing anything later this evening. I will call you when I get back from the movies." 

"So can I count on you for dinner tomorrow?"

"Sure." I acquiesced...as if this was going to be a piece of cake. Now I had done it...slipped down a razor blade into an alcohol river. Dad was cool. His mom, well...she wasn't going to come over easily. Immigrants, I am sure navigate customs with better ease.

"Well, my dad made reservations at Andiamo's and we will meet them there. I will be by to pick you up at 5:30 pm. That should give us time to get there. Our reservations are for 6:45 pm."

"It's a date."

"Alright babe, I'll talk to you later."

"Bye sweetie."

"Bye."

---

"So is this my lucky day or what?" A familiar voice spoke.

"Greg?" I couldn't believe it!

"You remembered?" He smiled. Damn charmer!

"How could I forget? Greg, this is my roady, Peyton. Peyton, this is Brian's fraternity brother, Greg."

Greg, such a charming mofo. He was at the mall with one of his sands Jason. After everyone introduced themselves I was ready to get going, but Greg wanted to talk. I thought he was sweet on Peyton. But of course that was Greg's way. 

"So where are you two beautiful ladies headed?" he asked.

"We just left the movies and are on our way to lunch."

"By yourselves?"

"What's wrong with that?" Peyton asked.

"Nothing, s.exy, just wondering if you needed escorts."

"No, Greg. We don't need escorts" I replied. "We are capable of finding our way in the jungle without male escorts.

"So what did you ladies see at the movies?"

"Devil's Advocate."

"Oh really, was it any good?"

"Actually it was fabulous. Love me some Al Pacino. I am not a fan of Keanu Reeves."

"Are you sure we can't treat you ladies to lunch." Greg flirted.

Before Peyton could respond, I interrupted and reinforced that we were ok. 

"How are you and Brian doing?" Greg asked.

"We're good. We're doing good." I replied.

"That's great. Well, I will let you ladies be, so that you can have lunch. Don't want to keep you from it."

"Alright. It was good seeing you Greg."

"You too, gorgeous. Peyton, it was a pleasure."

"I'm sure." Peyton replied.

---

"Oh my, so that is the infamous Greg." Peyton asked sipping her lemonade.

"Yes, that is Greg." I replied.

"Wow, he is fine Nicole. If I wasn't married..."

"Girl, please. Your husband would hang you. And with Greg? No...just say no! He's a player."

"I could play with him."

"P, don't even go there. And by the way, did I mention I am having dinner tomorrow night with Brian and his family?"

"oh Really?" Peyton asked, nearly choking on her beverage.    
End Notes:
Greg...Greg...Greg! We all know a Greg! Thanks for reading! Laughing
Chapter 15 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
Dinner with the parents...welcome to Ch. 15.
While I was out with Peyton, I didn't bother shopping. I wasn't going to buy anything special for the dinner with Brian's parents. It was a shame too, because I simply adored Mr. Santi, but his wife had been an uber-bitch to me, conveniently using her pain killers as the reason for her mood. Brian's dad had to live with that woman. Poor thing, he was so kind and wonderful towards me. I did however get a manicure because my nails were just ridiculous. For Brian and his dad, I would be on my best behavior. I was still a little vinegary over his mom's games. I was prepared in case she wanted to do battle.
We were seated at around 6:45 sharp at Andiamo's

"So Mrs. Santi, how are you doing?" I asked.

"Oh I am just fine. I am almost done with my PT." 

"That's fabulous. I know you will be glad to be done with the walking cast."

"Actually, I am already finished with it. I just keep it around in case I need the support."

Ok. Who was this woman and what did she do with Mrs. Santi? I was about throw salt over my shoulder when guess who appeared...like a bad penny.

"Hi, mother, dad, how are you guys...Brian?" Liz spoke in that whiney-assed voice.

"Oh, dear heart, I am really good. Thanks so much for asking. Why don't you join us?" offered Vanessa.

"No mom, I wouldn't think of imposing" said Liz...such a liar. She was dreaming of it.

"Mom, we made reservations. You can't just rearrange the seating." Brian interrupted.

"That's ok mom, I have reservations in the villa room." She leaned down to kiss Vanessa on the cheek on her way out. I was so going to be sick. This entire mom thing was well over baked. 

"She is such a peach. I just adore her." Vanessa chided.

There. The real Mrs. Santi, I knew wouldn't be away for long. 

"So, Brian tells me you are Cuban." Vanessa asked.

"Yes, my mom is Afro-Cuban and my dad was of Cape Verdean descent."

"Ah...Where is that?"

"It's a Portuguese colony off the coast of West Africa."

"Cuba is a long ways from Africa. How did they meet?"

"Actually both are U.S. citizens. They met on a cruise ship."

"Interesting, very interesting...so, where do your parents live now?"

"Well, my dad passed away when I was nine. My mom, she's here in Michigan. She lives in Down Town Detroit."

"Well, you must bring her over for dinner some time."

"Why thank you for the offer." Ok. Was there two Mrs. Santi's. This one was making me dry heave from her kindness. The other rude one was normal for me. Finally, I was saved by the waiter with our food. I thought I needed a pitcher of Long Islands.

"Did Brian tell you he has a sister?"

"Yes he did."

"Vanessa, let her eat." Mr. Santi asked.

"I am just trying to get acquainted. There is nothing wrong in that is it?"

"Van, the world wasn't created in one day." Mr. Santi replied.

I was glad that Mr. Santi brought her conversation to a stand still. I was so afraid I would puke in my plate if she kept showing me a modicum of kindness. I thought that we had seen the last of Liz also. No such luck.

"Well, mother can forgive me for not joining you this evening? You must let me make it up to you. How about we do shopping next week?"

And then the kisses commenced. I tried not to look. 

Liz was soon gone. And then it began. 

"Brian I really wish that you would be kinder to Liz. She is like family."

"Mom, I hold Liz in very high regard. She and I are friends."

"No offense to you, Nicole." Mrs. Santi said.

"None taken," I added.

"But, I don't understand, how two very much in love people just all of sudden fall apart. Liz is..."

"...a great family friend now, mom. And I ask that you not disregard Nicole. It's disrespectful the way you are going on and on about Liz. She and I are over. We are through. She has her life and I have mine."

"Nicole, you are lovely girl. Surely you can understand."

Both Brian and his Dad tried to hush her. But it was too late. The gate was open, the horse was out and she wasn't going to coaxed back in with a carrot. I stopped to put my fork down from the desert plate. There was no point in trying to ignore her. She had a point to make and it was likely going to be made. 

"What do I need to understand Mrs. Santi?" I asked.

"Nicole, you don't have to do this. Dad, we are leaving." Brian said.

"Van, how could you?" Mr. Santi said, embarrassed for them both.

"No, I want to know. What is it that I need to understand?" I asked again. I was upset but I was determined to be respectful.

"Brian you and Liz still love each other. You are with this girl because you feel sorry for her. It can't be love. It just can't be. Nicole you can find someone else. I know you lost your fiancé. But Brian isn't yours. It's selfish of you to put him through this..."

"Ok. That's it. Dad, we are leaving. Nicole babe, I apologize for my mother's behavior."

"No, wait a minute. You feel sorry for me?" I asked of Brian.

"Yes he does." Mrs. Santi interjected.

"Mom!"

By this time I was feeling the color of red.

"You two don't need to talk about this here," suggested Mr. Santi, and he rose from his seat begging his wife to take leave.

"You feel sorry me? Is that what you feel?" I asked Brian.

"Babe, that's not what I said. It's not I meant. My mother is out of line. You need to apologize mom." 

"Then tell me, what did you mean?" I asked.

"Nicole, babe, let's leave. We can talk about this in the car." 

"I will tell you." Mrs. Santi interrupted. "Brian was late to his engagement party because he was having dinner with you. He left his fiancée waiting. "

"Whaaaaaaaaaat? Mrs. Santi, first off Brian and I were friends and classmates back then. If Brian left his fiancée to have dinner with me, I didn't know that. And it's a problem you need to address with Brian." I said pointedly.

"He said that you had just lost your fiancé and he felt sorry for you and didn't think you should be alone when everyone else had cancelled. You should feel ashamed that you broke up two people on their way to being together. Liz was pregnant with your child Brian, how could you?" She continued her ramble her words through crocodile tears.

And as the water works commenced...

Can you say Academy Award performance? 
End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading! ;)
Chapter 16 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
Ah...boyfriend mama drama! Yell Welcome to Ch. 16.
When she realized that I wasn't falling into her trap the loser's circle folded and she pulled out the last ditch effort to turn the attention on herself. It was utter bullshit. I was royally pissed, surprised, and a little dumbfounded. Poor Mr. Santi was stunned into silence. He went to get the car and missed most of her performance. But I am sure she turns out one daily for him to get her way.

It was well past time to leave. Better yet, it shouldn't have had to come to this. In the car on the way home Brian was in a dead silence. The music was low enough to hear but it didn't overpower the deafening silence. 

"Everyone cancelled that day? Brian...that day we met at Mongos? Is that what your mother was talking about?" I asked.

"Nicole, I told you, Liz and I were over before you came into my life. Meeting you made me realize that I wanted something more. I wanted something great. I never lied to you. I wanted to spend some time with you. That day it was my engagement dinner. But I didn't want to be there. And I was honest with Liz from the beginning. She kept saying that it was cold feet. Her mom and my mom were not going to make me do something that I didn't want to do."

"Was she pregnant with your child?" I asked.

"No. Liz thought she was pregnant. I told her not to announce it until she was sure. She told my mom and it took on a life of its own. When the tests were negative, she wanted me to say that we were. I saw it as a sign that it was time to make it known that there wasn't going to be a wedding. I wasn't completely sure. So I took a break. I NEEDED A BREAK!" he yelled.

"Brian, I told you that I didn't want to be caught up in you and Liz's drama. And here I am now in a front row seat, with a bonus backstage pass." 

---

We arrived to my apartment and Brian put the car into park. He rubbed his eyes and ran his strong fingers through his thick hair and turned to look at me. 

"Nicole, I felt bad for you...sorry for your lost more than I should have...I suppose. But I don't pity you. You are one of the strongest women I have ever met. But when I found out about the death of your fiancé all I could think of was there would be a chance if I just hold you. That day in the conference room, I did. I told you that you would get through this and I would be there for you. I didn't do that because I felt sorry for you. I did that because I wanted to. My mother had no right to dump her issues with Liz and me breaking up on your lap. I apologize for her. But I am not excusing her behavior. She and Liz don't run my life." 

And at the moment he reached his hand out to my face he pulled me in for a passionate kiss that lasted for what seemed like days. We were steaming up the car windows like two teenagers. We needed to be together that night to reconnect in a way only two lovers could.

I didn't feel responsible for Brian and Liz's termination so I wasn't going to carry that burden. Brian was very passionate in his lovemaking that night. It was as if he had something to prove. I had long felt his love from the moment we first kissed at the ski lodge. A little reassurance is always good. Mrs. Santi had a boat load of drama and it seemed that Brian just got tired of the ladies in his life running the day to day of it, especially Liz. 

I wish that men would stop sleeping with women when they know their feelings have changed. But they just have to be men. Women are emotional creatures. Once we connect with a man sexually and learn the language he uses to convey his emotions, we are stuck on that frequency. As long as that frequency is tuned in, we think everything is ok. I love Brian, but if that was the mistake he made with Liz. I was surely not going to miss his tuner.

Several weeks had passed, and I was so relieved to not have had my mother meet Mrs. Santi. After that performance, mi mama would have said "Niki, tú puedes hacer mejor que mi hija" meaning I could do better than that. And likely I would have sided with her. There would have been no talking that night between me and Brian. Peyton was floored when I told her about it. She kept telling me that this relationship is about me and Brian and to consider it a mixed blessing that she wasn't up in our mix with both feet.

Yes. That was ok for a minute. But the reality is Brian's mother has been practicing those performances for years on Brian and his dad. She knows them and how to pull it out. Just like the day I was supposed to pick her up from the hospital and she sent me away and gave Brian the impression I left her there without effort. It wasn't long before he was under her spell with that. Liz shouldn't have been an issue. But she took up her fair share of our time even when she wasn't there. Mrs. Santi knew that she had a leg up on me where Brian was concerned. Brian would always give her a piece of his mind. And then later feel horrible for it. Naturally I would have to work through the silence with him. 
End Notes:
Thanks for reading!
Chapter 17 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:

So here's Ch. 17. Hope you Enjoy!

Brian and I had a long talk about the future and what our plans were for the next five years. His father had been impatiently waiting for him to take over the business. Brian was torn between teaching and running the dealership. His mom was split between him and Liz. And I was on the outside of this family dynamic looking in. Brian wanted me to tell him to choose teaching. But I didn't. It was his decision to make. When I met Brian, he seemed passionate about kids. But that doesn't necessarily translate that teaching is your calling. Maybe he just liked kids. 

I could see why he was so upset over Liz's lie about being pregnant. It was typical. Women do pull out the stops. I would never do that. Parenting is hard. It is meant for two. But not always can two parents do the job under the same household. Brian, I knew would have likely married Liz on the notion that she was carrying their child. Mrs. Santi would have been ok with that. She seemed to take pride in all things Liz.

Mr. Santi was so different. As men usually are the spectators to the drama, Brian took great comfort in knowing his father simply wanted him to be happy. If Liz was the one, he was ok with that. When Brian described to his dad the "Liz pre-review Edition" of his future, he said he was better off alone than to be with a woman that he didn't love or be in a marriage he felt trapped into. On that, we both agreed. 

Brian and I were growing even closer and I wanted him to meet mi mamá. She was beyond excited to meet this guy her daughter had been dating for the past several months. I wanted to meet for breakfast. She insisted that we have Brian and his family over for dinner. I had to explain that this was for her to meet Brian. But of course mi mamá is fierce when she wants to be. So I asked Brian to invite his parents. Mrs. Santi was conveniently at another engagement but took a rain check. Brian told me that his father had to work, but would try to make it. Mi mamá cooked a traditional Cuban comida (meal) for us that included: criollo, made from rice, beans, eggs, tomatoes, lettuce, chicken, beef and pork. Frituras de maíz tierno(fresh corn fritters), and flan de calabaza (pumpkin flan). 

Needless to say, Brian adored mi mamá and she constantly inquired about his family. I wasn't surprised. This was expected. She had more to say, but she was holding back you could tell. The Santi's were invited and surprisingly didn't appear. Notwithstanding the embarrassment of showing Brian the álbum de foto de familia with pictures of me, the evening went well. We came across pictures of mi mamá and mi papá. 

"This must be your dad holding you?" Brian asked.

"How can you tell?

"You look like your dad." Brian observed and mi mamá said I favored them both. 

Brian was nervous, you could tell. He warbled back and forth between calling out LaDoña, mi mamá's first name, and Mrs. Mendes. By the end of the evening, mamá let him off the hook and asked that he call her 'ma'.

I had noticed that throughout the evening Brian didn't take any of his phone calls. A few times he looked at the Caller ID and ignored them. Then finally he turned it off. This was normal for him as far as I could tell. When he didn't want to be bothered with the ringing, he would eventually turn off the phone. This was one time I really wished he hadn't.    

Nicole's Mom 

Nicole's mom LaDoña Maridel Lopes-Mendes 

End Notes:
Thanks for reading. Next one up soon!
Chapter 18 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
Meeting Mrs. Mendes...Shout out to Donna Summer! The original disco queen! Love her!
Brian and I spent the evening together and when his phone came on with the sound of the alarm the message indicator lit up like a Christmas tree. 

"I am sure they are all from my mom. She was unavailable, and obviously didn't want me to have a good time...yep, just as I said. And another, and another...Oh here is one from my dad...he said he was on his way...what?"

"Your dad was...Brian, what's wrong?" I asked before he went into a panic. Nothing coherent was coming out his mouth. Next thing I knew I was driving him to Oakwood Hospital and he thought his dad had a heart attack. It wasn't long though before I glued together between his flurry of emotions that Mr. Santi had been admitted and was in emergency surgery.

I dropped Brian off, parked the car in valet, and caught up to him minutes later. The weather was cold, damp, and spring was in hiding for sure. When I got off the elevator, I noticed that everyone was there, JT and Kym, Neil and Celeste, and Greg. I didn't see Liz until I glimpsed down a hallway, and there she was holding and comforting Brian. My goal was to speak briefly to the gang and make way to my Brian. I had not felt that hopeless since first losing my dad and then Robbie nearly two years earlier. My knees went a little wobbly and just as I was making my way past the door of the waiting room, Kym jumped up quickly in front of me.

"Nicole, take a walk with me" she said, ushering me out quickly and in the other direction.

"How bad is it?" I managed to say.

"We are still waiting to hear. But he had another episode."

"Another?"

"Yes, Brian's dad has been struggling with his heart for some time now. And it looks like this attack was really bad. The paramedics had to do an emergency tracheotomy Nicole. Mrs. Santi was a mess. She completely lost it. I have never seen her so upset. You can understand that she is scared and she couldn't get an answer when she tried to reach Brian. I didn't think it was a good idea that she saw you; at least not right now. "

"Oh my god, Oh no!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was thinking about Brian, and how horrible he must have been feeling and poor Mr. Santi. He was such a kind man, with a beautiful spirit. I needed to sit. It was all too much to take in. 

"I know you want to be there for Brian sweetie, but I think you should give his mother some space right now, after all this is her husband."

"But, I need to be here for Brian." I proclaimed. "Why does my presence here irritate her so?" I continued.

"Think about Brian then. He is upset about not being there. And, well his mother is really taking a licking to him about ignoring his phone. It's not like him to do that. And if she saw you, she would know that...well. You understand. I just think you should give him some space" she tried to explain.

As if the devil conjured her up, Celeste appeared and threw her two cents in. "Why don't you give the family some space. Better yet, give the family some space," reiterating her statement.

"Celeste!" Kym interrupted.

"No, it is your fault that Brian's mother had to be given a valium and be admitted for exhaustion."

"Exhaustion?" I asked.

"Yes, Nicole, she is resting now. But I don't think any of this is your fault. Brian's dad has had a weak heart, and his mother hasn't been completely kind about you in this situation."

"Yeah, I wonder why?" Celeste continued. "Just leave. No one wants you here."

"Kym, is that how everyone feels; that this is my fault?" I asked.

"Celeste, leave us please...look sweetie, I simply think it would be best, not that I agree, but I am trying to keep this from escalating. Brian is torn up right now and he has his family here. His sister is trying to get a family emergency leave. How about you call him later and check up on him? I will give you an update on his dad as soon as I hear something. Ok."

The last thing I wanted to do was leave. I balled my eyes out in the car. The light rain had erupted into a roaring thunder storm. I was so sick I couldn't even drive. I had to pull over. It was all coming back, all of it. The pain of the past, the feelings of hopelessness, and the new: being pushed out and aside when all I wanted to do was to be a support for Brian. I loved him and it didn't make any sense that Liz was there consoling my man.

I tried to find something to do to occupy my thoughts. But I found myself weeping and desolate, so I decided to call Brian since I hadn't heard from Kym, who promised an update. I didn't get an answer. And that was killing me. I needed to hear his voice and give him some sort of reassurance, something. I just wanted to let him know that I was there for him and so I left that as a message. I tried calling again and grew tired of the voicemail. I was truly having VoiceMail Blues.

I fell asleep crying and woke up to the phone ringing. It was Brian. 

"Oh baby, I am so sorry about your dad. How is he?"

"He had to have a triple bypass. He is resting comfortably now. We will be going back down to the hospital after dinner. Nicole my dad had a heart attack on his way to meet us and was in an accident. Thank god he didn't sustain any injuries from the accident."

"Can I do anything for you? I feel terrible about this."

"I was looking for you. I understand you had to leave."

"I...I didn't know what to do or say. I felt hopeless and..."

"Why? This isn't your fault." 

"But...if you weren't with me having dinner, your dad..."

"...would have probably still had this heart attack." he interrupted. "So stop blaming yourself, ok."

"So, how is your mom doing?"

"Well, she's doing as well as can be expected. She was very upset with me. She was just scared and couldn't reach me. But she's ok now."

"I know." I said regretfully. "Do you need anything? Do you want me to bring you something to eat?"

"Actually honey, I..."
And before he could finish his sentence the phone dropped. 

After several attempts to reconnect the call, I heard a Voice Mail alert. It was Brian apologizing for the call dropping and that he was going to be having dinner at Neil and Celeste's. There was no love lost between me and Celeste. If Brian was there, then the whole crew was together and that included Liz. I was sick with that thought. My stomach was churning and doing flips. Nothing would settle it. I tried a ginger ale. I even tried some soup and saltine crackers. I put on a movie and cried myself to sleep.    
End Notes:
Awe...cheer up Nic. It's going go get better!
Chapter 19 by SparkApCider
I didn't sleep long. I woke up feeling more nauseated than I had before. The next thing I knew I was hugging the toilet. My throat was sore, my head was throbbing and all I could do was crawl back into the bed. I needed to talk to Peyton but she was visiting her man and I wasn't going to interrupt their marathon sex-capades with my drama. This one I would have to solve on my own.

I felt a little better after the short nap. Feeling slightly feverish, I decided to make a quick run to the health food store for tea and to drop by the pharmacy for some cold medicine. If I was going to be stuck in bed for the next few days with a sinus cold, I needed to have a few groceries, including some sanitary pads. I just hated being on the rag while sick with a cold. But it seemed the weather, the season, and being totally underdressed had spelled U.R.I. (upper respiratory infection).

I had left my cell back at the loft, and was totally bummed out for missing a much needed talk with Peyton, so I doped up on meds after having a bowl of soup and went back to bed. 

--- 

The next day I didn't feel much better than the day before, but I hadn't heard from Brian and was worried still about his dad so I wasn't going to let another day go by without seeing him. It was if he heard me thinking out loud, because the phone rang and it was him. 

"hey babe!"

"hi sweetie!" I said in desperation.

"what's up...are you ok?"

"I have a little cold...nothing serious. How are you?"

"Dad has been upgraded to stable. Mom is good. She went home last night so the guys have been helping me pull shifts around the clock with her and dad."

"Brian, are you sure you don't need anything? I know how this could be on you." I offered. 

"No, sweetie, but thanks for offering....you need to take care of you right now. I don't need another thing to be worried about." 

It was painfully obvious that I wasn't needed and likely the sight of me would cause Mrs. Santi to throw an embolism. As long as I knew Brian was ok, that was fine. Talking to him gave me a little assurance. 

The perfect distraction had arrived a few days later, in the mail. If I was going to be flying out for an interview with Charlotte-Mecklenburg County School District, I was in desperate need to get a really cheap flight and hotel nearby. After a few hours of negotiating transit, I hung up the phone excited for the first time in a few weeks. 

I was feeling better and decided to make a surprise visit to see Mr. Santi. I checked at the information desk for a visitors pass and they were all out so I decided to head down to the gift shop for a balloon and card. I wasn't sure what he liked but I wanted him to know I was thinking of him. After a while I headed back to the information desk and the passes hadn't been returned yet.

"Just a moment, Ms., I can ring his room or the nurse's desk to see if someone can come down, so you can go up" the security officer suggested.

I thought quickly but not quick enough. He rang up to the floor before I could stop him. I took a seat and waited. And then off the elevators, poured a sight I knew wasn't a good sign. It was Liz! I nearly threw up a little in my mouth. I wasn't in the mood for this. I kept rehearsing it over and over again what I would say to her if the opportunity should present itself. 

"Hi, Nicole."

"Liz..."

"The guest list is family only. And unfortunately you aren't on the list. But I will be sure to see that Mr. Santi gets this." She said while reaching for the balloon.

"Why is there a restriction on visitation?" I asked, and resisted handing her the gifts.

"I don't know." 

"I will just call Brian." I said pointedly. 

"That's not something you want to do Nicole. Why don't you let me to take that for you? These things can take such a while to get changed."

"No thanks." I said and pulled out my phone. She stood there with this smug look on her face as I dialed Brian's number. I heard a phone ring, and Liz pulled the phone out of her bra.

I stood there in a mix between frozen and boiling mad. "Why do you have Brian's phone?" I asked.

"I told you that you didn't want to call him." 

"Why do you have Brian's phone?" I asked again.

"You will have to ask Brian."

"I am asking you."

"Are you sure you want to know this...alright, he left it with me this morning." she said convincingly.

This entire scene was shaking my resolve. I wasn't going to fight over Brian or his phone or risk being thrown out of the hospital for yanking that red head bitch. So I pulled myself back from the throes of hell and left the hospital. I didn't know what to do. I first thought to call Brian at the dealership. Then I thought to drive over there. I didn't run any lights or leave a pile up in the wake of getting there. I drove up into the lot and saw his car. I had no idea what I was going to say. I tore into the show room.

"Mr. Santi please." I asked the receptionist.

"He's out on the road with a customer. Would you like to leave him a message?"

"No. I will wait."

"Can I get you another rep?" she asked.

"I said I would wait." I repeated. I was feeling my ears on fire and all I could see was the color red.

My pulse was racing. I could feel the nerves in my neck tighten. I was fighting back emotions. I jumped up and starting pacing the floor. I went outside and back in. Only minutes had passed but it seemed like hours when Brian came strolling through the doors as pleasant as he could be. And I unleashed!

"I need to talk to you!" I said with tears welling up in my eyes.

"Hey. Ok. Just a second, is every thing ok?"

I just couldn't hear reason in that instant. All I saw was flames and red lights. That bitch Liz had pulled it all out, and on the wrong day with me and I needed to know what the hell was going on. I was tired of feeling useless. I wasn't going to be pushed aside any more. I had spent the entire weeks past playing phone tag and treated like a fifth wheel. I wasn't listening to any reason!

"Mr. Santi...is everything alright." The receptionist asked.

"Everything is fine. Excuse me Claudia" he said to the customer he was attending to. "David will process your lease I have an emergency. You are in very capable hands." He concluded.

---

"Calm down babe, what is it?"

"What is it? You mean Liz hasn't called ahead to alert you that I might be on my way?"

"I haven't heard from Liz."

"Why the hell does she have your phone Brian?" I blurted out.

"She doesn't have my phone Nicole. My phone is right here," he said pointing at his belt clip.

"No, your phone is in Liz's bra." I screamed.

"What are you talking about?" And he reached for it. At that moment he noticed that he had Liz's phone. "Oh, damn...I guess we must have got them mixed up."

"...mixed up, huh...how the hell did that happen?"

"Relax, ok. I stopped by my moms this morning and Liz was there. I guess our phones got mixed up."

"I am not going to do this with you anymore Brian...I am sick and tired of Liz and having her constantly disrespecting me, and..."

"Wait...wait...a minute babe. This was a simple mistake, I will fix this. Liz has been nothing more than a friend to both me and my mom, I tell you. And I am not about to do this. You storm in here upset about a phone Nicole, a phone?"

"This isn't about a damn phone. I tried to visit your father today. And Liz told me I am not allowed to visit because of some visitors restrictions."

"My dad is in ICU. It's that hospital policy that only family is allowed to visit him."

"I see. Fine. I am out of here." 

"Nicole, wait!" he yelled.

"No, Brian, you wait! I have been patient about this and I can't do this anymore. And I have been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt because I know what this means to you having your father so gravely ill...but I can't do this anymore."

"Nicole, sweetie, try to calm down. If you wanted to see my dad, that's not a problem. I never thought about the visitor restriction. It was an oversight, I promise you that. I can talk to the doctor. After work I am going over to Oakwood. You can come with me. And we can straighten all of this out babe. Just calm down."

Shaking my head in exasperation, I blacked out and nothing he said penetrated my ears. I said "I am not going to continue to play second to Liz anymore, Brian! I have had enough of this and her games" and then I bolted. I left as suddenly as I arrived. I could faintly hear Brian call out to me but his voice soon faded in the distance. 
Chapter 20 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
Nothing ventured...nothing gained. Lovely Charlotte, NC. Welcome to Ch. 20. Enjoy the read!
[Flight 587 to Charlotte will now be boarding. Please have your boarding passes visible. Thank you.]

After seven whole days of tears and that stinky flu bug I was finally going to be getting away from Michigan. Brian made a few attempts to call me that evening and a day later. But I couldn't talk to him. Peyton dropped me off at the airport since she had a meeting nearby. By the time I got out of the car at the US Airways Terminal she was on Team Brian, and I had no supporters.

I wasn't feeling rational, I kind of knew that. But I was sick and tired. At any rate, I needed to pull myself together and fake it. This interview was one shot. One opportunity and I could get away from this ridiculous thought that I could actually find a love equal to that of the one Robbie and I shared. I never felt like I was losing myself with him. He gave me that constant feeling that if I was about to bug out over a test, or a financial aid issue, Robbie's few words and his energy would relax me. 

I was missing Robbie for the first time in months. I needed him and his kind wisdom. I needed to feel safe. I reached into my purse and pulled out the mizpah

[God watch between me and thee while we are absent one from another]

There was no question in my mind that his mom wasn't sold on me at first. But when she presented me with the other half of the charm necklace from Robbie's belongings, it gave me comfort in knowing that she respected our love. And now I was clutching it for some reassurance. I needed Robbie's energy to surround me and get me through this interview. Brian was hundreds of miles away. And that entire working of Liz and his mother was not going to take up residence in my thoughts.

I arrived at Charlotte-Douglass International right on time and drove the rental to the hotel where the interviews were being held. When I turned my phone back on I saw that Peyton had called me to offer her support and encouragement. She always knew what to say, but this time, I needed some stronger images. I needed Robbie.

Suffice it to say, the interviews were not running on schedule. I stood in line for two hours and finally was seated before a panel that included a rep from the district, a teacher, a principal, and a parent from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school community association. A few weeks ago I had nothing to lose, but on that day everything was riding on that interview. I needed that job like I needed my period to arrive. I popped an ADVIL and went before the firing squad.

---

After I shook hands and left a copy of my resumé with a photo attached with each representative, I went to the bathroom to put some cold water on my face. It was over. 

The offer sounded promising. All I had left to do was finish school in December, send them a copy of my final transcripts, and wait for an offer. I was thrown by the fact that they were looking for applicants for the fall, and seemed a little put off by me not being available for at least another year. But at least I had a day and a half to enjoy the wonderful weather of Charlotte, N.C. 

---

"Can I get you something to drink, ma'am while you decide on your entrée?" asked the waiter. Sure, I was on a tight budget for this trip, but still I reserved a little to treat myself in case deli sandwiches and cookies in a boxed lunch would go stale.

"I will have a ginger ale." I was still feeling a little feverish. As much as I hated "auntie-flo" for her constant and annoying visits, she had by-passed me going on three weeks now, and I was starting to mourn her absence. Peyton had convinced me that it was stress, nerves, and a low resistance that was causing her delay. For some reason, she would always show up unannounced on vacations. 

I wasn't going to deny that Brian had crossed my mind. But every time I thought of how ridiculous he made me feel over Liz, I would cry a little and then brush the thoughts from my mind. I so longed for mi mamá's cooking. Instead I settled for a bowl of chicken chili, a salad, and nachos. I didn't want to eat too much because I couldn't predict if it would stay down.

After many days of not hearing from Brian, I was starting to miss him terribly. The excitation of the interview held me at bay but it seemed the moment it was over, I had nothing to consume my thoughts of Brian. I was upset with him and how slow he was to react to the nuisance of Liz. If I had answered his calls, it didn't mean that Liz was going away. I was tired of having to get around her. And his mother wasn't making things any better with her constant and annoying interferences in our lives.     
End Notes:
Homesick...thanks for reading. Next Ch. up soon!
Chapter 21 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
So here's the next Chapter. Enjoy the read!
Feeling bloated and very unsexy, I declined Peyton's desire to try on bathing suits at Lohman's. If I dared, suicidal thoughts would ensue. For some reason, a hot cinnamon roll with hot lemon water was the cure, go figure! 

"So, we have been out, what...two hours now, and not one mention of Brian's name...what gives?" asked Peyton.

"Nothing gives, we are taking a break. I need to focus on my future, and Brian needs to get his priorities straight. I am getting tired of playing second violin to a two stringed banjo."

"Ouch! Sorry I asked." Peyton apologized.

"I didn't mean to snap at you. I am just stressed." I continued.

"Yeah, well at least you haven't lost your sweet tooth."

"I know. Sad isn't it? And yet I feel very comforted with my cinnabons. I'm a mess aren't I?"

"No, you are just love sick. You miss Brian, but you are not in the giving mood yet. I still think you should keep the communication open. I don't think it's a good idea to keep avoiding his calls Nicole."

I immediately started crying. 

"Oh, dear...I'm sorry. You know what you need? A distraction. Yes...let's see an action movie. Look, Enemy of the State is playing. Let's catch the last matinée."

Peyton and I bought tickets for the later matinée and continued to window shop until the movie started. Nothing was going to console me. My period was late and the thought of me being pregnant was making me heave. Brian and I had used protection every time except for the last. My period was about two days away and I thought I was safe. Silly me! If you play you pay. I wasn't going to tell Peyton until after I went to the doctor. Since I had a scheduled exam I would wait until that appointment to find out for sure.

The theater was crowded. We were a few minutes late but the starting credits hadn't rolled yet. The whole conspiracy theories and national security stuff had us on the edge of our seats from beginning to end. The isles were crowded upon exit and I soon realized it would take as long getting out of there as it was finding two adjacent seats. 

I had to piss like a Russian race horse and couldn't hold it. I wish I had. If I had only left, the next the sight wouldn't have been seen. There was Brian with an attractive younger woman standing at the concessions with Celeste and Neil. 

"Oh, no, tell me that isn't Brian? I think we need to go over and say hello." Peyton suggested.

"No. I think we should leave." But in that instant Brian turned around and our eyes connected for a few seconds. The young woman turned to see what had caught his attention. He saw me, I saw him. And that was enough.

"Let's go Peyton," I continued. Peyton glanced once more and in no time Brian had caught up to us. 

"Nicole...Nicole...wait!" Brian yelled.

I didn't expect him to behave this way. I didn't want a scene, so I slowed. Nothing that he could say was going to erase the image I had just witnessed. My ears were on but my mind wasn't processing.

"How have you been?" he asked.

"Good." I replied. I never asked him how he was because at that moment I didn't give a damn.

"I hadn't heard from you. I've been trying to reach you. Didn't you get any of my calls?"

"I have been busy with work, taking care of me." I returned.

"You must have been spoiling yourself because you look absolutely beautiful."

"I need to get going." I repeated, dismissing what I thought to be a careless attempt at flirting.

"Wait. We need to talk. Don't you miss me...a little?"

"I don't think there is anything left for us to talk about Brian. I think your words, or lack there of and your blighted actions are clear."

"From what I recall, you talked, and I let you. I am sorry that things were left that way. It wasn't my intentions but we need to sort this out."

"Look. There is nothing to sort out. You are free now. I don't know what I was thinking. And I was stupid to ignore my instincts, believing that there was something...that you were different." I argued, fighting back tears.

"There isn't a me with out you Nicole. It's all about you and only you." he countered.

"You keep saying that...and the more you say it the less I believe you. It's all about me? Well it seems that I fall way down on your list of priorities, and I have had enough. Now, if you don't mind, Peyton is waiting, and I need to get going." I was ready to punch something if I didn't get to the fresh air outside.

"Nicole, there has been a lot going on with my dad. He had a setback, a stroke. I thought you may have wanted to know. It was really scary there for a minute. We thought we were going to lose him."

"Oh, Brian, I am so sorry."

"It's been tough these past few weeks...nothing has been the same without you. I tried to call you. It wasn't something I wanted to leave on a voice mail."

"I am so sorry Brian. I didn't know. I guess this is coming a little late, but how are you holding up?" I asked.

(his female companion spoke) "Brian...the movie?"

"Just go on in. I will be there in a second," he replied. It seemed that Neil, Celeste, and the young brunette were heading for their seats with snacks in tow. 

"Look. I don't want to keep you." I offered.

"It's just the gang hanging out. It doesn't mean anything. I want to see you," he asked in a softer voice. "Call me, I really need to...we need to. Will you...call me?"

"Whatever."

"Please, babe." reaching for my hand.

"Brian, nothing has changed with us. Look I am sorry about your dad, but please, let me go."

And I walked through the lobby doors to the atrium where Peyton was waiting.

"Are you OK girl?" Peyton asked.

"No," I said sobbing. "But I will be."    
End Notes:
Thanks for visiting. I'm ducking the rocks. Aim for Brian...not me! LOL!
Chapter 22 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
The cold war continues...Nicole's a champ at it. Next Ch. up.
I cried myself sick and to the point of exhaustion. I continued ignoring Brian's calls. I didn't want to talk to him. And I didn't want to hear his voice. There he was pulling on me, with another woman obviously as his date. It didn't matter what he had to say. I didn't want to hear it.

"Nicole, you are going to tell him?" asked Peyton.

"I don't know if I am. There is no reason to call him up just to tell him ?I think I might be pregnant.' Ok. I will just wait for the test results and then cross that bridge when I get to it."

"So, I am going to be godmother." Peyton delighted in the unknowing.

"P, hold off on that layette just yet."

"You are going to keep it, aren't you?"

"I don't know what I am going to do. The results aren't in. So please enough with the shopping plans."

"I think you are Nicole. I mean you haven't had your period. And, you are few days off from me. You have been eating some really weird shit, and not to mention, moo-dy."

"Considering, my heart has been handed to me, I think I have justified reasons for being a little bi-polar, ok!"

"Look, no matter what, I am here for you."

"I just don't know how this happened."

"Oh no? well let me tell you how hun...see you take an egg and you mix it with sperm and..."

"Ha ha, very funny. I didn't mean biology P."

"Just trying to make you laugh...you are taking this so serious. And the way I see it you're life isn't that complicated."

"How else am I supposed to take this? I could be pregnant, and the father has moved on."

"You don't know that. You are hurt. And for all you know, maybe he's responding to your cold shoulder. There are two sides Nic. I'm sorry; I just can't imagine Brian being cold and heartless as you've described him. I really think you two have to stop interpreting and talk to each other. Tell him what you want. Enough with trying to nail jell-o on the wall Nic. Ego's aside. There is a baby now."

"Wait a minute. I don't know what? Tell me...what is it that I missed?"

"Well, for starters he left that "date" and ran you down at the movies. That didn't appear to be a man strung up on his ex or a new one. Besides, I saw the way he was looking at you. I didn't want to say this because I let you throw him under the bus that night, for all it was worth. But there is something really loving about the way he looked at you. Nicole I think before you close that door, you owe it to yourself and to this baby to have that talk with Brian."

"I will talk to him, if I am pregnant. If I am not, then I don't have to."

"You are. I am willing to bet my Rosewood China that you are with child."

---

The results were a mixed blessing. I kind of believed it...but I guess I was in denial. The doctor confirmed that I was indeed with child. A flurry of expected reactions bombarded my mind, and before I had a second to process one, another rose up, and they all were on one continuous play list.

"But you can't sit here and tell me that you are going to keep this baby from its father, knowing how much Brian loves kids..." Peyton argued. "Promise me you are going to tell him." She continued.

I had planned to call Brian a few days after my doctor's visit. I wasn't sure how I was going to say it. Blurt it out? Write it in a letter? I needed time to think about it. I had made up my mind that North Carolina was a good move for me and the baby. I lied and told Peyton that I had talked to him about the baby. It didn't matter at the time, she was on a visit to see her husband, and by the time she would return he would know. 

I had at least come to the conclusion that this baby would be born or at least it would be given the chance at life. Beyond that, I was still in thought. Brian and I were not married, and in my mind an ex-couple. I still had a semester to go before graduation. I wasn't working full time. And if my calculations of my last period were exact, the baby would be born on before March 13, 1998, exactly three months after graduation. Since I was barely six weeks, I decided to wait to tell mi mamá, and I thereby the felt the same with Brian. If I reached the twelfth week mark, then I would make the announcement. 

I couldn't keep it from mi mamá. The moment I walked into the house she took one look at me and asked when was the baby due. After I cried a minute, I told her everything. And she wasn't exactly Team Nicole either. It was a mutiny.

Nee-col, cómo el toro. That which meant I was like a bull...stubborn. 

"Mi hija, you can't make a decision for the rest of this child's life based on your broken heart. I don't know what happened to you and Brian. But I know you, mi hija. And you tell that man that he has a baby coming."

"What if I have told him?"

"You haven't! I know you haven't mi hija! If you had told him, I know he wouldn't be leaving all of these decisions up to you. And all of this talks about North Carolina. It's foolish to think you can pack that luggage and believe you can walk away from this. You love him. I can see it in your eyes. And he loves you too."

"But mamá, there is another woman in his life. He is seeing other women and his mother hates me. And..."

"Brian is still the father of your baby mi hija. You can't deny him that, no matter what happens between you two. I know a lot has happened mi hija, his father's illness is not easy and I would think after Robbie, you could understand that. You cling to what you know...what is familiar...your friends and family. And who cares what his mother thinks. If she wants Liz, then let her have Liz."

"Mamá."

"I'm just saying. You are showing. I can see it. How long do you think you can hide it?"

"I just want to wait until I am out of the first trimester."

"Excuse me honey, you look like you are already out of it."

There was no lying there. My hips were spreading. My boobs were fuller. And everyone was telling me how rosy my cheeks looked. A dose of reality like a tetanus booster was all I needed to give me the strength to get through the next few days. Peyton would be returning after her two week vacation in Germany. She would be accompanying me on my doctors appointment, the first ultrasound. It was just a few weeks to go. And then, I would tell Brian. 
End Notes:
Thanks for visiting and continuing to read. Laughing
Chapter 23 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
Hi. Some really loyal readers at TST wanted a peek at the past. So I brought it in here. Hang around for the sequel and you shall see more. Final one on it's way.  For now, it's 23. Enjoy!
I could see a little round tummy as I peered at my reflection in the full length bathroom mirror. And for the first time, I was in love with my baby. This was the baby I had hoped would be shared with Robbie after we would marry. 

My life was finally on track. I had returned to school a more serious student, met and became engaged to a wonderful man who was determined that I save myself for our wedding night. It was going to be perfection.

Then came the day I received the phone call that shattered my world and displaced my dreams. Robbie, who had been born with a congenital heart defect, had suffered a heart stroke in his sleep. 

I couldn't believe it. It was like a nightmare. It felt like a very bad joke was being played on me. First the tumultuous affair with Chance, and now I had lost the love of my life Robbie. Who do you blame for that?

How could this wonderful man twenty-nine years young, a healthy athlete, with such a kind heart be gone away? He had so much to live for. We had so much to live for. He was my soul mate, my protector, my guardian, my lover, and best friend.

I could only imagine in the days that followed everything I had lost...the life we would never get to share. There would be no graduation for us, no marriage, no house to come home to...and no children. I even found myself imagining what making love to him would have been like. 

Robbie and I had shared many intimate moments, kisses, and would pull back from the throes of passion. Our wedding night would be so special! It wasn't as if we were virgins. We simply decided to commit to each other and we never regretted it. But after Robbie died, I was tormented with the thought that he would be gone from me forever, and I would have nothing of his to hold on to. I guess that was what made the mizpah so special. 

I was so scared that when I started to develop feelings for Brian, that I was betraying Robbie's love...our commitment to each other. 

Would I ever be able to have a love that completed me the way Robbie's did?


I fell asleep holding the necklace in one hand and his obituary in the other.

---

I awoke from the sound of the doorbell. I wasn't expecting anyone. 

To my surprise it was Brian. 
"Just a second," I replied. I couldn't let him see me like this. I had sleep hair, and my tank was so revealing of my form. I hurried and pulled on the first thing I could find which was a fleece pullover with the front pocket.

"Hi." I said with a mix of surprise and anxiety.

"Hey, can I come in?" He asked.

I didn't say no. I took the chain off the door and stepped aside for him to enter.

"When I saw you at the movies a few weeks ago, I thought I would hear from you." He started his interrogation.

"Brian. I don't want to do this again, ok."

"A lot has happened. And all I wanted was to see you. We needed to talk this out. We still do babe."

"Talk what out Brian?"

"Us."

"There is no us!" I said and plopped into the recliner.

"Oh no?" He returned.

"I think it's best considering you still have feelings for Liz and you've obviously started seeing other women."

"Liz and I are friends. I told her and the gang that she and I are over. I was stupid at times about this entire thing. I didn't think about how it seemed to you. I won't bother trying to say how much of a friend she has been because that is weak and a sore spot for you. I love you. And I don't want to lose what we had...I want us to try to make this work. And that other woman I am seeing...that happened to be my sister Heyden."

"There isn't anything to try to work for...your sister?" 

"Yes...my sister. I wanted you two to meet each other. That day I saw you at the cinema was all about you. I had actually forgotten for a second that she was there and that I wanted you guys to know each other. Anyway, it was her last day on leave. I had promised to give her break from mom. And well with dad needing so much of our support right now...Nicole why haven't you been taking my calls."

"Ok. So I made a bad call. How was I supposed to know that? And still that doesn't erase the statue your mom has erected in Liz's honor...and how you frequently pay tribute to it."

He moved closer towards me. "I am sorry about dismissing your feelings over this. I have just been so focused on my dad, the dealership, school...and trying to keep it all together, and be with you. I haven't been a good boyfriend. I know that. And I am sorry. But you have to know that you have been constant in my thoughts. I often asked myself if I deserve you. I was afraid that if I said the wrong things that you would think I didn't want to be with you. So I didn't say much of anything. I let you have your say. But I am going to ask you again... are you saying no, that there is no reason at all...anything for us to fight for Nicole?"

In that very moment his eyes pierced through my soul. I fought hard to hold on to my resolve. "Does he know?" I thought to myself. "Who did he hear it from?"

I got up to go to the kitchen for a glass of water. He followed me, standing at the entry of the kitchen. I kept wiping my tears and tried hiding them. "Do you want something to drink?"

"Yes." He obliged.

When I reached up into the cabinet for a glass, he was right there behind me. I could feel his warm breath upon me, breathing in the scent of my hair, the steel form of his chest against my back and his arms circling my waist. I pulled away suddenly.

"Stop!" I cried, and jerked away.

"Why?"

"Because, we can't," I said and continued fighting off his advances.

"So, how is Peyton?" 

"Peyton?" I asked.

"Yes, Peyton...How is she doing?"

"She's fine...doing well." I was puzzled to know why he was making small talk about Peyton and pacing the tiny space of my kitchen.

"Yeah?"

"Yes. She's good. She's visiting Joel right now. She should be back on Friday." I said, speaking over my shoulder.

"You know, I may not have been there for you, and perhaps I have been a complete fool where Liz is concerned and thus warranting you to stop taking my calls...but keeping this away from me Nicole... and...I thought that Peyton was your friend."

"She is my friend. So what are you talking about?"

"...well, I guess you aren't much of one to her!" He said, slamming the water goblet on the counter top. 
"Thanks for the water. And let me say this. You have every right to raise my child, our child. But you aren't going to keep me from him or her." 

He knew!

And with that he walked out the door. I froze in silence but snapped back at the sound of the door slamming shut. All I could think was that Peyton must have told him. I couldn't even be mad at her when I lied to her about telling him in the first place.

Well now he had known. And I didn't have to tell him. But I certainly didn't feel any better about it. That wasn't my intentions to let him come to me after hearing of it from someone else. 

---

Peyton got home that Friday and didn't call me. I thought she was angry because she had every right to be. How did protecting my privacy turn me into a troll? Well, let's just say Peyton gave me a piece of her mind and threatened to throw me under the bus if I lied to her or Brian again about the baby. And when she had finished reaming me, she handed me my souvenirs...well, the baby's. She said I had to earn mine.

I still hadn't heard from Brian. It was going on two days now. Strange, I had gone from turning the ringer off and saying good riddance to actually feeling sick from the cold war. I guess he was angry with me for keeping the truth from him. I was going to tell him. I was just scared. So I guess we were even. 

I thought in that moment, "This poor baby has no chance of being rational with both parents being emotional fire breathers."    
End Notes:
A little reflection of the past while glimpsing at the future. Thanks for reading. Next and final one up! Thanks so much for supporting. I enjoyed sharing.
Chapter 24 by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
So it comes to an end. Thanks so much for your support with the story. I enjoyed sharing.  Here's the final installment. Wink
Well, I received a call for a second interview with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg district who was offering me a position as a substitute teacher for the January 1998 semester. I had to turn it down because there was no way I could accept it and then two months later be on maternity-leave for six weeks. I couldn't imagine returning to work four weeks shy of the end of the term. That would be too disruptive. But considering it was a sub position, I was pondering the idea even after I declined the offer. Under different circumstances I would have accepted. The baby changed everything.

Peyton was going to be meeting me at the doctor's office for my first baby photo. My doctor was running late...he had a delivery. So instead I saw a resident. 

I got undressed and climbed onto the table. I was beginning to get excited to see my first ultrasound that my palms were sweaty. 

"The doctor will be in shortly Ms. Mendes" said the nurse.

I could hardly lay still. I closed my eyes and placed my right hand on my belly and giggled. I was actually going to be some ones mother. I guess fear will elicit all kinds of emotions.

"Peyton couldn't make it." A familiar voice spoke from the door. "I was thinking, you must have been really upset with me...so upset that you forgot to tell me about this appointment. So I am going to wipe the slate on this one."

Yes. It was Brian. It seems that he and Peyton had been doing more talking than I was to either of them.

"If you don't want to discuss me and you then let's talk about our baby. A child needs two parents. And I plan to be in its life." His voice growing closer.

I couldn't even respond before the technician, came in. "So are we ready to see your baby?"

"Yes." We both said at the same time and looked at each other.

"Well, let's not keep you waiting any longer...ok ...you are going to feel something cold...ah...ok. Here we are. Oh my!"

"What is it?" Brian asked.

"Everything ok?" I repeated.

"Oh...everything...just fine. One baby has legs...wide open. Looks like a boy unless something falls off." He chuckled in a thick Mediterranean accent. 

After a few minutes of trying to search the sex of baby B, it was conclusive that this one would be a surprise. 
---
Brian couldn't stop looking at the ultrasound photo as we sat in the patient waiting area for my next appointment. I couldn't stop looking at the beautiful arrangement of flowers he handed me.

"Brian" 

"Nicole" 

"No, you go first." He offered.

"I just wanted to say I am sorry for not telling you I was pregnant."

"I still can't believe it. This has to be the best news I have had in weeks." He said. "I knew something was wrong with you the day you came to the dealership upset." He continued.

"I didn't even know then. I found out weeks later."

"You don't have to apologize for not telling me. I know that eventually you would have told me. I am just glad that it was sooner than later that I found out. Peyton didn't think she was giving me any news. She was just congratulating me. It was hard to contain myself. I was upset at first. But I wasn't going to keep giving you reasons to stay away." 

"I didn't know what to do. I was scared...I mean look at us Brian, we are about to be parents and we don't even have full time work...and..."

"We don't need full time work Nicole. Right now, you and this precious cargo... is all I want you to focus on...nothing else." He exclaimed, touching my abdomen. "I love you, and love these babies. There is nothing in this world I wouldn't do for you or our family." he said, lovingly and tenderly. 

For the first time in weeks, there was a sense of clarity to all of the chaos. 

---

Brian and I stopped for Chinese take out and then went back to my loft. We had dinner and talked...really talked in a way that we hadn't done in a long time. He didn't overwhelm me with hasty plans for our future or make any abrupt demands like a quickie marriage. He simply kissed me passionately on the neck and cleared the table. 

"I'm not helpless, you know?" 

"Did I say anything?" He returned.

"No, but don't you think you are being a little overly careful with me? I mean first you were adamant that I was driving too fast, and insisted that I follow you...to my house. And then you asked me to sit, while you set the table, and now you are clearing the table. You know I am not helpless sweetie, just pregnant."

"The doctor said you need to get plenty of rest. I want to make sure you get that. I will be here a lot too, so you might as well start getting used to it." He said before planting another kiss on my cheek.

"Oh, dear..." I sighed.
End Notes:
I want to thank all the readers who visited, read, and left wonderful reviews. It was first completed fic.  I hope you enjoyed reading.  Stay tuned for many more stories to be told. Their story is not yet complete.  I have a few prequels and sequels.  I predict there could be at least 5 more stories from this large and ever expanding cast. ;-)
Epilogue by SparkApCider
Author's Notes:
I decided to write the epilogue before I needled around the idea of a sequel. My readers at TST encouraged the sequel. I was having such a good time writing Brian and Nicole that I couldn't resist.
Brian's best efforts were not going to keep me strapped to that recliner. I was going to finish the semester right along with him. I compromised on the part time job. He had been conflicted over accepting the General Manager position at the dealership, but when his dad became ill with the stroke he accepted the offer. The position paid nearly two and half times what an intern teacher was paid, which is why he suggested that I take as much time as I wanted with the babies after delivery.

Brian closed his lease out early, and moved into the loft with me. It was big enough for us both and for the babies. Although we never intended it to be a permanent home, we took advantage of the time we got to spend together but started looking for sites to build a new home. Nothing quick, we took our time. Ground would break in spring and by fall we could start moving in.

Well needless to say, we still don't know the sex of the other baby and I am one month to the delivery. The doctor expected to take them at thirty-three weeks. But since I am doing so well he expects that I should make it to at least to thirty-seven. 

Brian announced his impending fatherhood shortly after the first ultrasound to his mother and friends. And let everyone know that his family of ‘me and the babies' were priority one. I still don't trust Celeste as far as I can throw her. Kym has been very supportive along with the babies' self-appointed godmother Peyton. As for Mrs. Santi, well she hasn't come around yet. And personally I don't expect her to. Mi mamá said that babies have a unique way of thawing cold hearts and that I may just learn to understand her when my son or sons arrive!

As for Liz, Brian made her apologize for the nonsense she hatched. She insists that she meant no harm. It's not milk and honey, it's not salt and vinegar. I still don't want her around me. But enemies must be kept at a safe distance. 

The one person I was hoping would see the babies and be able to hold them was Mr. Santi. He has made a miraculous recovery from the heart attack and stroke. He is still in rehab for the injuries as a result of the hypoxia. The most wonderful thing is that he smiles when I visit him. Now that I have gotten so big, I haven't been able to work. So between the final classes, the impending holidays, and Brian's fussing over me, I still get to the Nursing Care center at least twice a week to see Mr. Santi. 

Brian and I have decided to name our son John after his dad if it's just one boy. If it's two boys both of their middle names will be John so that each one of them get the blessing of his spirit upon them. If it's girl, it definitely won't be Vanessa, and I don't care what Brian says.


The end.
End Notes:
More to come...stay tuned. The sequel to this is "Baby of Mine" I hope you check it out! Thanks again for support!
This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=458