Frost by Midnight
Summary:

stories/533/images/frostban.png

Fluffy little one shot about a bored waitress, a hungry musician, and an empty diner.


Categories: Music Characters: None
Classification: General
Genre: Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 2144 Read: 8140 Published: 05/08/09 Updated: 05/08/09
Story Notes:

 

 

1. Character Pics by Midnight

2. Chapter 1 by Midnight

Character Pics by Midnight
Author's Notes:

I own the story but not Jason Mraz. Whick sucks.

Jason Mraz

stories/533/images/1jay.png

Corwin "Cori" Miller

stories/533/images/42-21222080.jpg

 

Chapter 1 by Midnight


“Red first? No, yellow. Maybe blue” I said out loud fiddling with my rubix cube.

“It’s just a square with colors not rocket science” Tasha said sounding irritated.

“It’s not a square. It’s a cube. There’s a difference”

“Any customers?” Johnny the cook yelled from the kitchen.

“No, just Cori working my nerves” Tasha yelled back staring at her freshly manicured nails.

Johnny walked from the kitchen and sat down in the booth with me sighing and rubbing his temples.

"Where is everyone? We usually have a lot of folks coming in hungry from partying on Friday night”. He asked running a sable colored hand over his bald head.

“Well it is cold as hell. You know how Chicago weather is” Tasha announced. Johnny nodded and headed back into the kitchen.

I put my rubix cube down and grabbed a towel to wipe the tables. Something was different about tonight.
Although Daisy’s Garden looked like looked like your typical diner with a jukebox in the corner, pictures of Daisy with famous people covering the walls, and a bright neon sign that read “Daisy’s Garden” in the front, It was somewhat famous in Chicago. The food was delicious. Thanks to Johnny. Johnny was a kind older Black man who’d been working here for ages. He’s one of the reasons people keep coming back to the diner. He's an amazing cook. He had even been featured on the Food Network once. Sure, it wasn’t crowded every night but in my 2 years of working here I’d never seen it this empty before.
Tasha had a point though. It was freezing outside. According to the weather forecast we were in for a blizzard.


I continued wiping the already clean tables. I had to do something to keep myself busy. I glanced at my reflection in the glossy table. My afro stood on top of my head like a fluffy black cloud, my full lips were covered in a light pink chap stick and my toffee colored skin was blemish free for once. I thought I looked okay except for my eyes. They looked so tired. No, not tired. Lonely. I pushed the thought out of my head. I wasn’t lonely. I loved my space and privacy. How can a person who loves being alone be lonely?

-----------------------------------------------------


“Who wants to work on a Friday night? I should be on a date right now or at least shaking my ass at a club” Tasha announced twirling her straight, raven hair around her finger.

I sat down on one of the bar stools hoping to avoid getting involved in the conversation.

“So what would you rather be doing on a Friday night Cori?” She said pretending to be interested in hearing my answer.

“Well I guess I would rather be drinking a cup of hot chocolate and watching re-runs of Doctor Who”. I said thinking about how relaxing it sounded.

“Girl, are you serious? Sitting at home alone on a Friday night watching sci fi shows is the definition of loser.” Tasha said laughing loudly.

“Doctor Who is a good show.” I said trying to defend myself.

“Why don’t you go on date or something you know fun?”

“I’d rather not.” I said growing more annoyed.

“You know something Johnny, We never hear Cori talk about her love life. Why is that Cori?” Tasha asked.

“I don’t like putting my business in the streets unlike some people." I said narrowing my eyes at Tasha. I’ve tolerated a lot of things from Tasha but I draw the line at her getting into my personal life.

“Alright ladies let’s try to get along” Johnny said trying to intervene.

“Well it seems I’ve hit a nerve.” Tasha said smirking.

“I need some air.” I announced getting up to get my coat.

“It’s freezing out there.”

“Doesn’t matter.” I said throwing my purple scarf around my neck.

“I need a break too.” Tasha whined.

“Fine take a break.” Johnny said exasperated.

“Thanks Johnny. I’ll be back in a few. And if I’m not Cori’s lonely ass can cover for me.” Tasha said before grabbing her coat and leaving.

I finished putting on my things “I’ll just be out front if you need me."

He nodded and turned on the radio.

-----------------------------------------------------

Damn it was cold. I leaned against the window of the diner trying to clear my head and not freeze my ass off.


Tasha’s been a pain the ass since the day I met her. All she does is brag about her men, her hair, and her clothes. I’ve never let her little comments get under my skin before. But this time it’s different. She’s never commented on my lack of love life before. I do love my space but it’s beginning to get lonely.
But I hate dating for the sake of dating. When I date a guy I want us to have an instant connection. Perhaps I’m being unreasonable and a bit unrealistic but it isn’t my fault. I blame all the Disney movies my mother let me watch. Yeah right. Who am I kidding? As much as I hate to admit it I’m lonely and it’s my own fault.


“Damn Disney movies.” I muttered while sliding a piece of gum into my mouth. Thick snow flakes began to fall from the sky.
I closed my eyes letting the icy wind blow across my face.

“Excuse me, is this place still open?”

I opened my eyes to see a tall, pale, man with a black scarf wrapped around his face. He had the most beautiful mahogany eyes I’d ever seen.

“Yeah it’s open.” I replied shifting my gaze down to my black and blue Vans.

He walked into the diner and I followed behind him. Tasha wasn’t back yet so I’d have to take his order.

I headed to the back to put my things away. I paused for a moment.

Maybe I should fix myself up a little before I go back out there.

I grabbed my make-up mirror out of my bag and began reapplying my chap stick and fluffing my fro.

I’m just doing this for the tips. Nothing more.

I snatched my pencil and note pad before heading back.

I looked up to see that he had removed his scarf. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw his face.

NO. FUCKIN. WAY.

-----------------------------------------------------

I dashed into the kitchen as fast as I could.

“What’s wrong?” Johnny asked startled.

“That guy out there. I-I can’t go back” I stammered.

“Why?” Johnny asked picking up a spatula.

“It’s Jason Mraz!”

“Is he your ex or something?”

“No! He’s a famous singer.” I said trying to keep my voice down.

“So? Just ask take his order and ask him for an autograph.”

“I can’t do that. I don’t want him to think I’m some geeky fan who worships him.”

“But you are”

“I am not. I only have one of his c.d.s”

“Well someone has to take his order."

“Can’t we just we wait for Tasha to come back ?” I asked already knowing the answer.

“Look Corwin it’s obvious you like this cat just go take his order and get it over with.” He said calmly.

“Fine.” I said exiting the kitchen.
-----------------------------------------------------

You can do this Corwin. One step at a time. Breathe in. Breathe out. So what if he’s famous. He’s just a guy. I thought to myself.


There he was. Sitting in the booth where I’d left my rubix cube. His dark brown hair hung over his forehead as he studied the menu. His cheeks were bright red from the cold.

Alright Corwin. Here we go.

“Welcome, to Daisy’s Garden can I take your order?” I spoke trying to appear calm.

“I’ll have a bowl of tomato soup, cheese fries, and a cup of hot chocolate.” I watched as his soft pink lips form every word and syllable.

“Tomato soup, cheese fries, and a cup of hot chocolate. I’ll be back with your order in a few.” I said hoping he hadn’t caught me staring.

I walked to the kitchen to give Johnny the order.

-----------------------------------------------------

“Order up” Johnny yelled while I changed the radio station.

I carefully grabbed the tray of food trying not to drop it.

I carefully sat the tray of food in front Jason.

“Here you are Mr. Mra.. mister.” I said catching myself.

“Thank you Corwin.” He said looking at my name tag and flashing a crooked smile.

“You’re welcome” I said so low I doubt he heard me.

-----------------------------------------------------

I sat by the window watching the snow fall. It was beautiful but I hoped it wouldn’t snow too much. It would be hard walking in the snow in sneakers.

“Waitress?” Jason called tearing me away from my thoughts.

I got up and went to his table.

“Do you need anything?”

“I hate eating alone. Could you sit with me?”

I stared at him in disbelief trying to comprehend what he’d just asked me.

"Well will you?” He asked again.

“Uh. I-I don’t think” I stuttered.

“Corwin. Sit with man.” Johnny said interrupting me.

I hadn’t noticed that he was behind the counter listening to us.

I walked towards Johnny.

“Johnny don’t do this to me” I whispered.

“She’ll be right over mister.” He said ignoring me.

“Call me Jason” He shouted back.

“Johnny please don’t make me do this. Can’t you sit with him?” I begged.

“He wants you. Not me.” He said grinning.

I gulped hard nearly swallowing my gum.

“Just sit with him until he’s finished. He might give you a big tip.”

“Okay.” I said. “I’ll do it.”

-----------------------------------------------------

I slid into the booth facing Jason.

“I’m Jason” He said offering his hand for me to shake.

“Corwin” I replied putting my hand into his.

He wrapped his long, slender, pale fingers around my small brown hand. His grip was firm yet gentle. And I could feel the rough calluses on his palm.

This feels nice.

My palms began to sweat. I reluctantly let go of his hand.

He started sipping his soup.

“Mmm” He moaned closing his eyes.

Damn he’s cute. Did he just moan? I think I’m gonna faint.

“I like your hair.” He said suddenly. “It looks like a cloud.”

“Thank you.” God I hope I’m not blushing.

“Can I ask you a question?” I said changing the subject.

“Sure.” He said sipping more soup.

“Why cheese fries and tomato soup?”

He started to laugh. “It’s not as bad as it looks. And I’m starving.”

He picked up a few fries drenched in cheese and dipped them into the soup.

I smiled to myself. He’s adorable.

I picked up my rubix cube. I had to do something besides stare at him.

I looked up to see Jason staring at me.

“Why were standing outside in the cold?” He asked.

“I just needed to alone. Besides I love snow and frosty weather.”

“Frost. My last name means frost in Czech. ”

“I didn’t know Mraz meant frost.” I said intently.

He smirked. “You know who I am?”

 Shit. Me and my big mouth. Now he’s gonna think I’m some obsessive fan.

“I’ve heard a few of your songs.” I said trying to play it cool.

“Do you like any of them?”

“I like Love Is Real.” I answered.

“Why?”

“Because I don’t believe love is real at least not for everyone. It challenges me to believe it is."

I can’t believe I just said that. Now he’s going to think I’m some lonely and pathetic just like Tasha. Why am I spilling my guts to him?

“I think love is real for anyone. Even for people who don’t believe it is.” He said with an unreadable expression on his face.

I sat in silence while he took a sip of his hot chocolate.

“Aggh” He yelled spitting it out.

I slid out of the booth and next to him. I unwittingly put my hand on his face.

“Are you alright? Do you need any ice?” I asked slightly worried.

He grabbed my wrist.

“I’m fine”

“I would’ve stood with you outside. It’s more fun being alone with someone else.” He said still holding my wrist.

What is he doing? Is this real?


I panicked and slid out of the booth. “I’ll go get your check” I said frazzled.

I turned the radio up as I walked past it.

Lenny Kravitz’s voice filled the room.

“I’ve been searching for you
I heard a cry within my soul
I’ve never had a yearning quite like this before
Now that you are walking right through my door”


When I got back to his table he was putting on his coat. He’d already put some money on the table. He got up from the table and extended his hand to me again.

“It was nice meeting you Corwin.”

“You too Jason”

I watched him walk out of the door into the storm.

I looked down in my hand to see twenty dollar bill in my hand.

“Look on the back” Johnny said from behind the counter.

I turned it over to see 7 numbers written on the back.

“Is this what I think it is?” I asked franticly.

Johnny grinned” I saw him write it down when you went to get the check.”

I smiled brightly at Johnny. “Thanks for making me sit with him.”

I slipped the 20 into my pocket and went back to the booth where we were sitting.



The End

End Notes:
So this is my first time writing a story outside of school. I know it's fluffy but that was my intention.
Sorry if it sucks.
This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=665