A new.... by kellyklue
Summary:

Ethan “Dax” Daxton and his wife Dr. Zaire “Zhay” Daniels have drifted apart due to tragic circumstances. Dax awakes from a coma and has a case of amnesia not remembering his wife or current life. But, the minute he looks into Zhay’s eyes he falls in love all over again. The love that Dax and Zhay once shared was honest and sweet, but of late, it proved not enough to cure the hurts of the past, that they need in an effort to move forward.  Both must learn to forgive and love each other again, and that life is to short and precious not to include those whom you hold dear.


They are given a second chance to rediscover their love and what they do with it is completely up to them.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: General
Genre: Romance
Story Status: Taking a short break from this story
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 47806 Read: 57231 Published: 19/02/10 Updated: 13/01/11
Story Notes:

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. 1-The Intro by kellyklue

2. Chapter 2-The players by kellyklue

3. Chapter 3-Not today by kellyklue

4. Chapter 4-Thank's Mom by kellyklue

5. Chapter 5 - I get it, you love her by kellyklue

6. Chapter 6-Thanks for coming out, man.... by kellyklue

7. Chapter 7-Does it say, I miss you lover... by kellyklue

8. Chapter 8- I am still his wife by kellyklue

9. Chapter 9 - I have nothing left to give by kellyklue

10. Chapter 10 - How do you know when you’re in love? by kellyklue

11. Chapter 11 - You are spoiling me, beautiful... by kellyklue

12. Chapter 12 - I'll marry you, on one condition... by kellyklue

1-The Intro by kellyklue
Author's Notes:
This the intro chapter for A new. This is my first attempt at writing, so please tell me what you think. I will try to post the pictures of the players, as soon as I figure out how  to do it :-)...Enjoy!

“Dr. Shaw, please tell us, do you know how long will Dax remain consciousness?” Claire asked staring teary eyed at her beloved big brother, laying stock still in the hospital bed.

 

“Ms. Daxton, your brother has suffered severed a tremendous amount of trauma. It is a miracle that he survived as long as he did trapped under the rubble with his injuries; that  is a testament to his will to survive. I have to be honest,” Dr. Shaw said looking at everyone in the room, seeking out Dax’s wife Zhay in particular, “I am concerned about his head and possible spinal injuries, because of the position that the rescuers found him in; as well as the punctured lung he sustained. But we all know that Dax is strong and he will fight to live no matter what.” 

 

With that, Dr. Shaw began barking orders to his staff, while making notations on Dax’s medical chart.

 

He walked over to Claire, who was now sitting in the chair closest to Dax’s bed. She was having a hard time seeing her brother in this condition and had been removed several times from his hospital room due to her childish and accusing outbursts against Zhay. Dr Shaw knew that she was hurting and went over to offer her some hope.

 

“Patients who have been comatose often say that they can hear everything that is going on around then. Continue to sit with him and talk to him, it helps.” Dr. Shaw offered, checking Dax’s monitors one more time before preparing to take Dax down to Radiology for his latest round of CT Scans and MRIs. Claire smiled and thanked him for his kind words.

 

Zhay stood off near the hospital room door still in shock. When Claire called to tell her that Dax had been injured in the Renaissance Towers collapse, she was rendered paralyze for a few seconds. Hoping that he had only suffered minor injuries, she nearly collapsed when the doctors told her that they did not expect him to make it through the next twenty-four hours, due to all the internal bleeding. She felt guilty that she had accused him of intentionally standing her up for their date, not knowing that he had been buried and lay dying at the collapsed tower site.

 

“Dr. Shaw?” Zhay called out as he was about to leave the room.

 

“Dr. Daniels.” Dr. Shaw acknowledged and moved closer to her, handing off the chart to a passing nurse. He noticed that she just seemed to settle into the background, while Dax’s family seemed to dominate the room; he wanted to ask her about it, but decided that now wasn’t the best time.

 

“I know that your team is working around the clock caring for the tower collapse victims, thank you; but please be honest with me, I know that you have been focused mainly on his head injuries,” she said looking back to her husband, “but what about the other issues, internal bleeding, damaged organs, possible spinal injures…how…will Dax survive this?” Zhay asked as fresh tears glittered her eyelids.

 

Dr. Shaw took her by the arm and walked her out of the room to the nurse’s station just a few steps away. He motioned to one of the nurses to bring over some water and tissues.

 

“Zhay, honey, drink this.” Dr. Shaw offered her the bottled water and made sure she took a few sips. She offered him her thanks and dried her tears with the tissues.

When he thought she was composed and ready to hear the latest findings he relayed all that he discovered so far.

 

“We are sure that we have stopped the internal bleeding; besides the puncture lung the rest of his organs look good. As far as spinal injuries go, I won’t know anything concrete until he wakes up. The swelling on his brain has gone down some, but not enough to rule anything out.” Dr. Shaw paused seeing that Zhay had started tearing up again, her silent tears slowing building up into body racking sobs.

 

“Zhay, I wish that I could have more encouraging news but that is what we are dealing with, look at me,” Dr. Shaw coaxed, lifting her chin so that he could see her eyes, “the fact that Dax is still alive 5 days after having a building collapse on him and suffering from these injuries is a very good sign. You and I both know that.  Dax will fight to live with everything that is in him; just to be interviewed and featured in every medical journal on the planet.” Dr. Shaw teased and was able to get a small smile out of Zhay.

 

“Adam thanks for coming so quickly; I know that you dropped everything to get here and I love you for it.” Zhay moved in to give her old college roommate a tight hug and to seek reassurance that Dax would be ok.

 

“You know that I’d do anything for you darlin’; even though Dax and I are always at odds, I know that he loves you and is fighting to get back to you. That egotistical cowboy will be fine, raising hell and your blood pressure in no time.” Adam soothed, kissing her forehead and wiping the unshed tears from her eyes. “Now let me get back to work and get Dax prepped for moving, ok. Finish this.” he pointed to the water bottle in her hand and walked back into Dax’s room.

 

Zhay smiled at him, and thanked the stars that she just so happened to be friends and roommates with one of the top trauma doctors in the country. Dr. Adam Shaw, was on the scene in record time when the 9/11 towers collapsed, Hurricane Katrina, the Tsunami and most recently the earthquake in Haiti. However, once she called he dropped everything and rushed back home to Atlanta to head the team of experts currently caring for Dax.

 

Zhay downed the water and began to feel less tense. She was glad that Adam was here, besides having her sister Chloe nearby, she felt alone. If she lost Dax like this, she stopped herself from finishing that thought and fought tearing up again. She wasn’t going to loose him, not now, not ever.

 

As she stepped back into Dax’s room, she watched his family hovering near his bed. She smiled and laughed a little, knowing that if Dax could see and hear them, he would be so annoyed by all of their attention. He would also rip them a new one for being so rude to her; but she took it all in stride, knowing that they too were still in pain over their loss.

 

Just then Alise, Dax’s mother looked over to her and offered Zhay a sad smile; she had welcomed her as soon as Dax introduced them. However, lately their relationship had become strained. The Daxton’s had always treated her like a second daughter, until she and Dax separated. Now she was welcomed with cool indifference.

 

When Zhay first arrived at the hospital, she learned that Barron, Dax’s father was finalizing plans to move Dax to the more private, exclusive Northern Glenn Medical Plaza; as opposed to the very open to the public, you don’t need money to come here Mercy Hospital. This was the best place for Dax to be, home to the most advanced trauma/ERs in the southeast.

She gently reminded the Daxton’s and the other doctors that she and Dax were still married and that any decisions regarding his care was hers and hers alone. The old man scoffed at that, but the doctors apologized and acknowledged that truly Dax’s medical care decisions were hers to make.

 

When she learned the extent of his injuries, she immediately got on the phone with Adam and began assembling one of the most talented trauma and surgical teams in the country. Even the hospital administrators were amazed at the resources available on such short notice. Though Dr. Shaw was young, everyone in the ER business knew who he was; he was on his way to becoming a legend. Dax’s father never said it to her but, he told the Chief of Staff that he was impressed with her quick assessment of the situation, her take-charge attitude, and impressive connections.

 

Now here they were five days later and the Daxton’s barely said anything to her. She knew that they blamed her for Dax’s unhappiness of late; but in times of crisis, families were supposed to pull together, right? Between his mother and sister, she was never able to get close to her husband’s side, she had yet to hold his hands and comfort him.

She wanted Dax to know that she still loved him, that she was there; that she didn’t want a divorce either, that she missed him…them oh so very much.  She wanted him to know that she would never stop loving him no matter what.

End Notes:
This is my first post so please be gentle. I welcome your thoughts and suggestions, thanks. Have a great weekend!
Chapter 2-The players by kellyklue
Author's Notes:
All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Zaire "Zhay" Daniels

Ethan "Dax" Daxton

Barron Daxton

Alise Daxton

Rosie Vohn

Chloe Daniels

Claire Daxton

Dr. Adam Shaw

 Mason Grey

Janis Daniels

Harper Coles

End Notes:

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Chapter 3-Not today by kellyklue
Author's Notes:
All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
8:17am 

“Rosie, Rosie, where in the hell is the proposal package for the Venetian Glenn Condo project? I left the plans on my desk last night.” Dax scream from his office, searching his desk. “Have you been cleaning my office again? Shit! Where is that damn proposal, Rosie?”

 

Rosanna Vohn, Rosie only to him, appeared in his office door with one hand on her hip and the plans in the other. Still a stunner, with her silky smooth tawny brown complexion, beautiful thick jet black hair, dreamy chocolate eyes and a gorgeous smile that lit up a room; she was nick named Foxy Roxy by all of the men in the office. He would never tell her that though, because he knew that she would smack him.  A frown on her face told Dax that she was none to pleased with this outburst.

 

“This is a place of business, not the playground quit the yelling, and if you utter one more curse word, I will wash your mouth out.” She warned, walking over to him and handing him the plans and the proposal.

 

“Yes ma’am, I’m sorry.” He apologized. “I forgot that I ask you to have the plans reproduced for my meeting with Dad. He moved to kiss her, as a sort of peace offering but was surprised when Rosie evaded his kiss.

 

“What?’ Dax questioned, “My kisses aren’t welcomed anymore?”

 

Rosie smiled at him; she couldn’t resist this charmer even if her life depended on it. Ethan Daxton or Dax as he liked to be called was the son that she never had. He was as handsome as he was talented, conceited as he was kind, arrogant as he was brilliant, and Rosie fell in love with him, the minute they were introduced, which was two hours after he was born.

 

“Your kisses are always welcomed sugar.” She reassured, by offering her right cheek. He kissed it. “But, please tell me what has you so agitated at 8:22 in the morning?” She asked checking her watch.

 

Dax looked up at Rosie with his beautiful sea foam green eyes and sighed, he searched his desk for the papers that had kept him up all last night.

 

Rosie knew more about him that his own family did; she was his confidant, second only to his wife Zhay. When his father, Barron decided to retire from the firm, and appoint Dax as CEO, of Daxton Enterprises, Dax had only one request, Rosie. She would only work for him.

Rosie had been his father’s personal assistant for many years before heading to the PR and Community Development Team. She was always in his life, and in some ways Dax came to rely on her more than he did his own parents. They were the dynamic duo; she knew what he wanted before he could even complete the request.

 

Rosie loved Dax just as much as he loved her; she was quick to offer him her shoulders, advice, praise, criticism and hugs if they were needed, but always her love. She was never slow to call him on his bullshit, either, which was often, in order to set him on the straight and narrow. He loved her.

 

He pulled the light blue file from the wreckage that was now his desk and handed it to Rosie. She didn’t need to open or read the documents to figure out what they were. She continued looking at Dax who was trying his best to avoid eye contact with her.

 

“Well?” she asked impatiently as Dax continued looking for imaginary plans and proposals.

 

“Well what?” he countered and then mumbled, “Zhay served me with divorce papers last night.”  He was trying to sound nonchalant all the while, feeling tightness in his chest and knots in his stomach. His wife wanted to leave him.

 

“I can’t say that I’m surprised.” Rosie said handing him back the divorce papers. “There is only so much a woman can take, and she was bound to reach her limit sooner or later.”

 

“I know that this year has been a difficult one and we have drifted apart; but this…I don’t know….it seems a bit extreme. Divorce?” Dax asked taking a seat on the sofa with his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands.

 

“Extreme? Well where in the hell have you been? Asleep? What in the hell do you expect her to do, when you’ve been treating her like shit for the past 12 months?” Rosie roared, surprising him with her tone and language. “You’re lucky that she’s Zhay and I’m Rosie, because I wouldn’t have waited a year to serve your ass with divorce papers.”

 

“I know that I have said and done some hurtful things to her this past year; but surely she knows that it was just coming from a place of anger and hurt, right? Dax asked. “She should know that I never meant any of those things.” His voice slightly breaking, he motioned to get up but Rosie stops him. He needs to listen to her.

 

“And how is she supposed to know that, when you can’t even be civil to her for 2 minutes to talk? I have watched you go out of your way to hurt and humiliate her; I’ve even tried to stop you on occasion but would you listen? No. Moving out of the house with out telling her, getting her kicked off the boards of all those charities that she’s worked so hard for. Throwing your relationship with that hot to trot tart from marketing in Zhay’s face every chance you had. Did I miss anything? Oh, yes how could I forget having her committed and sending her off to Cedar Grove without even talking with Chloe and Janis? But the worst, the worst was going ahead with the....” 

 

Before Rosie could finish, Dax quietly pleaded with her to stop reminding him of all the ways that he purposefully hurt Zhay. “Please Rosie, don’t, don’t finish that.”

 

Rosie looked over at him, Dax had the good sense to look ashamed and embarrassed at his behavior. Beyond that, he was in pain. He was sorry for the way that he had been behaving but dammit, this pain had a strangle hold on his life.

 

Rosie sat down next to him once she realized that Dax’s eyes were red rimmed with tears on the verge of spilling. He reached in his jacket pocket for a handkerchief and dried the tears before the fell.

 

“Tell me something, Sugar?” she asked now facing his sad face. “Do you still love Zhay? Do still want to be with her?”

 

He was hurting and the pain was evident in his eyes, Rosie was sorry that this one of those times where, no advice that she offered would be enough; he would have to figure things out on his own.

 

Without hesitation or angst, Dax simply replied, “Zhay is my heart, I love her so much Rosie it drives crazy, because I hurt, I still hurt, every damn day…I hurt.”  He cried. “I am still so fuckin’ angry, shit...sorry Rosie. I just can’t shake my feelings and I don’t want to feel like this, but I can’t help it.” He sobbed, this time the tears did fall.

 

Rosie moved closer to him and let him lay his head on her shoulders. She encouraged him cry, she knew he need to and offered soothing words while doing so. Rosie always knew what to do to comfort him. She was the mother that he always wished he had.

He loved his mother Alise, but Rosie, she was always the one that he sought out whenever he needed comforting. When he was about 7 or 8, when he told her that he wished that he were brown so that she could be his mother. She smiled and told him that she was better than a mother, she was his Rosie and she could do things that a mom couldn’t, like give him ice cream before dinner. He smiled at that memory. She was his Rosie from that day on. Always on his side, always there for him.

 

“If you tell anyone, you saw this I will deny it and tell them you’re crazy and have you committed? He jokingly threaten, they both laughed. She’s seen worst. She’s seen him at his worst.

 

“But I bet you’ll come to see me during visiting hours every Sunday, right?” she teased and took his free hand in hers. This was why he loved her; she could comfort him in simplest manner and make him feel that all would be well.

 

“You know it.” He smiled regaining his composure.

 

His tears slowly subsided and they sat for a few minutes before he started talking again.

 

“Everyday, I go upstairs to that damn penthouse and I work until I am exhausted so that I’ll only have to sleep there for a few hours. I miss our life, my wife, my love, my princess, our home, I miss what could have been. I even miss that stupid little rat dog, she loves so much.” Dax confessed, “How the hell did we get here? A divorce? Rosie, I don’t want to loose Zhay, but I…I.” He tried to finish, gritting his teeth, and slamming his fists down on the arm of the sofa.

 

“I know darling, I know it still hurts.” Rosie soothed. “But you are here, facing divorce, because you refuse to talk to her and attend counseling. If you love her and still want to be together you have to want to work through the pain, together.”

 

He offered a sad laugh and rubbed the back of his neck, “Yes, but Zhay has to still want to be with me.” He cringed, remembering some of the things he had said to her, stuff that Rosie didn’t even know about. “After everything that I’ve said and done, I’m not sure that she’d still want to be with a selfish ass like me.”

 

“True, no arguments here.” Rosie teased. “But you’ll never know until you ask her, right?

She reached over and took his face in her hands, so he can look at her.

 

“She still loves you Ethan, anyone with eyes can see that. She simply wants your forgiveness and she thinks that she will never get it. That’s why she stays away; she can’t bear to see the pain in your eyes knowing that she is the cause.” She get up to leave him with his thoughts.

 

At his office door, Rosie turns to him and say, “Talk with her, today. Call her, invite her to dinner to talk, not to shout, not to accuse, or hurt each other but to talk.”

 

He nods in the affirmative, but she can see that his confidence isn’t at high peek today. He won’t call. This isn’t like him; this maybe the first time that she’s seen him like this, vulnerable. Her fearless Ethan is scared.

 

Walking back to where he was still seated on the sofa, she moves in and kisses his forehead, letting him know that everything will work out, just fine. He looks up at her and smiles.

 

 “You’ll both find your way back to each other, if that’s what you still want.”  With that, Rosie left Dax to his thoughts.

 ******************************************************************

 8:33am 

Dax sat for a moment considering everything that he and Rosie talked about; and thinking about what he wanted to say to Zhay.

 

Just then, his cell phone rang bringing him out of his thoughts. He looked at the number, but didn’t recognize it; odd he thought very few people had his personal cell phone number.

 

“Daxton” he answered, curtly

 

“Dax, it’s Mason.” Mason Grey was Dax’s sometime business partner, nemesis, sounding board, and overall supporter, but first and always his friend.

 

“When did you get back? And where are you calling me from? Had to change your number again because you hooked up with another stripper turned stalker?” Dax teased, welcoming the distraction.

 

“Fuck you man, that shit only happened once.” Mason replied laughing, one day they would behave like the architectural geniuses everyone thought they were. “I got back on Tuesday. Singapore was interesting, I’ll tell you all about it later. Listen, I’m calling because, I’m on site and I need your expertise; what does your day look like?”

 

“Mase man, you’re killing me. Today?” Dax stood up, running his hands through his dusty blonde hair; moving over to his desk, so that he could check his calendar. He was meeting with his dad this morning to sign contracts; he also had a business meeting at 1pm with Cooper Industries and still needed to finalize their proposal and put the finishing touches on the 3D model.

 

“Dax, I wouldn’t ask if it wasn’t important. I need you out here wearing you engineering hat. Come on man, give me 30 minutes, an hour tops.” Mason pleaded.

 

“One hour Mason, I have a meeting with Cooper Industries at 1pm.” Dax warned. “Let me take care of a few things here and I’ll be there in a few.”

 

“Thanks man, I owe you.” Mason replied, giving Dax the details of the project, his concerns, and the site location.

 

************************************************************************

 9:05am

After hanging up from Mason, Dax still wasn’t sure if he should call Zhay today. He still didn’t know what he wanted to say but he new that he had to act soon, otherwise the pain that was gripping him would destroy him.  

 

Before he could talk himself out of it, he picked up the phone to call her. He just hoped that Zhay would be open to meeting with him tonight, or any other night for that matter.

 

One ring, two rings, three rings come on Zhay, please answer the phone, Dax thought to himself. He checked his watch, he knew that she would still be in her office.

 

“Hi, this is Dr. Daniels.” Zhay answered almost breathlessly. She just ran back to her desk to catch the call before, she was off to gather the files on her first patients of the day.

 

Music to my ears, Dax thought. “Hey Love, are you busy?” He hadn’t called her his love in a very long time, but it just rolled off his tongue naturally. And it felt good saying it, goddess he missed her.

 

Zhay was shocked to hear Dax’s voice on the other line and was taken aback by his endearment. He always called her Love; he told her it because he would always love her.

 

“Dax…how...how are you? Zhay stumbled, still in shock that Dax had called her. She had to sit down quickly before her legs gave out.

 

“Not good Love, not good. Zhay, I...we...I...can we meet for dinner later? He finally got out, closing his eyes and hoping for the best.

 

“Dax” Zhay warned, “I assume that you called to talk about the divorce, my lawyer advised that it is best if we communicated through our attorneys.”

 

Pinching the bridge of his nose, Dax let out a heavy sigh.  “No lawyers Love, I don’t won’t a divorce.” He rushed out. “I want to have dinner with my wife so that we can talk.”

 

His wife? Zhay wanted to say, the wife that you’ve ignored for the better part of a year. But the words died on her tongue before she could utter them. Instead she simply remained silent.

 

Dax got up from his desk and walked over to the corner of his office so that he was facing one of the best views of the Atlanta skyline. He needed to remain calm, he had to reign in his emotions and clarify his thoughts, and ironically looking out over the city did that for him.

 

Zhay was surprised by his dinner invitation and was too stunned to immediately respond. She didn’t anticipate this reaction from Dax, once he was served with the divorce papers. She assumed that he would sign without any hesitation and that would be the end of their life together. She wanted to say yes, but she was afraid that meeting him would just turn into something ugly.

 

As if he were reading her mind, he continued, “Please Zhay, please. Just dinner and talking. No shouting no accusing, no hurting each other, just us, talking. I know that one dinner will not solve all of our problems, but I miss spending time with you, I miss us, Love.”

 

His pleas sounded sappy and desperate to his own ears, but he didn’t have a choice, this was exactly how he was feeling, a bit desperate and maybe just a little bit sappy. He still loved his wife and as far as he was concerned, a divorce was not an option.

 

He was about to continue his pleas when Zhay finally found her voice.

 

“Just dinner and talking?” Zhay asked, her voice breaking just a little. “Sure, what time?” she asked trying to sound nonchalant, knowing that she was on the verge of tears; she had not spoken to or seen him in nearly 6 months.

 

“Is 7 o’clock good for you? Anywhere you like, except Nikolai’s; unless of course you want to actually go there, then I’ll just have my usual.” Dax replied, with a small laugh, feeling a bit more relaxed and confidant, now that she had agreed to dinner.

 

Zhay laughed too, she knew he hated Russian fare, but she enjoyed it; and he would take her there for dinner if that was what she wanted. He would sit there and drink his dinner, which usually involved tossing back several vodkas, while watching her eat.  She smiled at that, she missed him too.

 

“No, not tonight. How about Cubana? Zhay asked, he loved the food there, not to mention their vast selection of rum and tequilas.

 

“Cubana, it is. I’ll see you at seven.” Dax responded.

 

“Seven it is.” Zhay confirmed. Zhay stood up from her desk and slipped into her lab coat. “Good bye Dax.”

 

“I love you Zhay.” Dax assured, hoping that she would respond in kind, but she didn’t.

 

He stayed on the line until she finally disconnected, and hoped that tonight they could begin anew.

End Notes:
Please forgive all typos and errors. Thanks you again for reading and let me know what you think.
Chapter 4-Thank's Mom by kellyklue
Author's Notes:
Thank you Ladies for reading and commenting. I know that the build up is slow, but I promise that I am going somewhere with this.

9:23am “I love you Zhay.” He told her that he still loved her. She waited months to hear those words.  She wanted to say the words back to him, but she couldn’t. Not today. 

Just when she was finally ready to face the fact that she had lost him, today he calls and tells her he loves her. Zhay remembered calling him and leaving messages everyday for six weeks straight, but he never once called or came to visit her.  He still loves me she says in thought and her tears fall faster that she can wipe them away.

 

Not today, she tells herself. She was finally feeling strong enough, to see her patients and she could not risk having a breakdown today.

 

Adam, she needed to speak with him, he would talk her through the anxiety that she was now feeling. Dr. Adam Shaw was her best bud, they’d been friends for as long as she could remember. She knew that getting in contact with him right now was next to impossible; he was still in Haiti helping earthquake victims. She reached for her phone and dialed his number anyway, he didn’t answer so she left a voicemail.

 

“Adam I need you, please call me when you get this message. Love you.” She hung up and began the deep breathing exercises that usually calmed her fretfulness.  Not today.

 

When she woke up this morning, she had an uneasy feeling. She chalked it up to lack of sleep the night before and the conversation that she had with Seth Hanson, her attorney just before bed. He called to tell her that Dax was formally served with the divorce papers and that his team would be waiting to hear from his attorneys.

 

Seth was anticipating a very nasty public spectacle, because Dax was so high profile and wealthy, not to mention his behavior of late. His team had been briefed to expect a fight with Dax’s attorneys.  Zhay knew that Dax wouldn’t fight it. Why would he? Over the past few months, he gave her no indication that he was still interested in them. No, he would simply sign the papers and that would be the end of their life together. 

 

Zhay shocked Seth when she told him that she didn’t want anything; not the house, properties, cars, antiques, art, alimony, nothing. It meant nothing to her; the only thing of any real importance in her world was family. If she couldn’t have that with Dax, then all the other things were of little value to her.

She gave Seth a meager list of the asset that she wanted to retain and that was it.

To say that Seth was stunned was an understatement; but he knew he could not talk her out of her decision. She didn’t want Dax’s money she wanted his love, she wanted their life back.

 

She sat for a moment to calm her racing thoughts and better compose herself. She sipped from the water bottle that was on her desk, and replayed their conversation. He still loved her. 

Chloe, I need to talk to her. Zhay knew Chloe would have a wild and crazy tale to tell her about her adventures in Modelville, that would actually make her laugh and help to calm her. She started to dial Chloe’s number then put her phone down, remembering that her sister was meeting with the representatives for Be Seen cosmetics, it be their new It Girl.  

She sighed, life was funny, months ago, she couldn’t get Dax to return her calls, so she simply stopped calling. Now the day after she files for divorce he calls wanting to meet for dinner and talk.

 

Zhay teared up at all of the happy memories that flooded her thoughts, and flashed back to meeting him at Mason’s annual Memorial Day BBQ for the first time. Perceiving Dax to be a vain, boastful, spoiled, playboy, she quickly rebuffed all of his flirtations. She later discovered that she was completely wrong about him. Dax was everything that she could ever want in a man, intelligent, handsome, loyal, and loving. With a dash of arrogance and more confidence than the law should allow, he was her light; she missed him.

It hurt her more than she could express they way he transformed into an unfamiliar shell of his usual self, literally. He looked liked he had lost at least 30 pounds, when she saw him last.  It pained her more to know that she was the cause of his suffering. She missed her husband, but most of all she missed Dax, her friend. She dried fresh tears. Not today

 

In the first months after she’d left Cedar Grove, she told herself that she would be patient with Dax. He was so used to being in control, that for the first time in his life neither, his money, connections, nor influence could solve this problem. She vowed to give him the time and space that he needed, until he was ready to move forward with her.

 

Chloe coolly reminded her that it was one thing to be patient; it was another thing to be a masochist. Chloe argued that she gave Dax more than enough time to decide if he still wanted to remain married.  Besides that, he never attempted to repair their relationship. Reminding Zhay that Dax never called to find out how she was coping once he moved out of the house. In fact, he left the house one night and never came back.  Zhay remembered that night, she was literally on hands and knees pleading for forgiveness but he looked at her, through pained eyes and said that he couldn’t deal with her right now, grabbed his keys and left; sending Rosie and movers the next day to retrieve his clothes and some  of his home office contents. He essentially left Zhay on her own and shutting her out. After that, he only spoke to her when it was necessary. 

 

In a session with her therapist, Dr. Coles, asked Zhay if she was ready to move forward with her life without Dax. When she responded no, the doctor asked what was she holding on to, when Dax never once called, visited or bothered showing up to a joint or individual session. Dr. Coles reiterated what was the point of holding out for reconciliation when Dax was so adamant about pushing her away. She wanted Zhay to face the fact that she was holding on to false hope. It wasn’t good for her own healing. Dr. Coles feared that Dax’s animosity towards her would only continue to grow considering that he had yet to deal with his own feelings; and could possibly escalate into something physical. Zhay didn’t believe that Dax would become violent with her for one second. However, she had to acknowledge that he was extremely hostile when they did happen to see each other.

 

At that point in her therapy, Zhay was an emotional wreck; and it was becoming increasingly difficult for her to accept the harsh reality that she would have to possibly move forward with her life alone.  As the days turned into weeks and the weeks crept in months, she realized that maybe Dr. Coles was right, she was fighting for them, but Dax wasn’t even in the ring. She agonized over filing for a divorce, but after much soul searching, hours and hours of sessions, she took the advice of her therapist and decided that perhaps it was for the best that they separate.  She finally accepted that this was what Dax needed to heal, what they both needed to start living again. Though it pained her, she prepared herself to leave him, their love, and their memories right here in Atlanta.

 

Just then, Zhay’s phone rang, jolting her from her reflections; hoping that it was Adam she quickly reached for it.

 

“Dr. Daniels speaking.” She answered trying to hide her distress.

 

“Hi Sunny, I was out and about with my camera shooting randomly and the wind started whistling your name in my ear. I know, I just checked in on you a few days ago, but I needed to hear your voice. So I just dropped...……” Janis started to say when she heard sniffling on the other end of the line. “Baby what’s wrong, talk to me Zaire, what’s happened?” Janis questioned becoming increasing alarmed at the sound of Zhay’s sobbing.

 

“Mom, mom...” Zhay cried, no longer able to hold her tears.

 

Janis knew something was amiss, her girls rarely called her mom, opting instead to calling her Janis, or Gypsy.  Zhay & Chloe gave her the moniker Gypsy, due to her inability to say put for very long. Costa Rica one month, Malawi for two, the Canary Islands for a few weeks; where ever the wind blew that’s where she ended up. As a photojournalist, she enjoyed a very carefree lifestyle.

 

“Sunny, take a deep breath, breathe slowly and tell me what’s the matter?” Janis instructed, bracing herself for what ever it was that had Zhay upset; she just hoped that her daughter wasn’t headed back to that cold dark place.

 

Zhay took a deep breath and relayed her conversation with Dax. Janis listened to Zhay, let her cry, and reassured her as best as she could over the phone.

 

“Oh Sunny, you must be so confused” Janis cooed, she called both girls Sunny because they were her sunshine, the bright spots in her life. “Listen to me, Dax loves you. Any man who tracks down his girlfriend’s mother, on Safari in Botswana to ask for her hand in marriage is in it for the long haul. Go to dinner, and hear him out.”

 

“I am, I love him so much but I am so scared, what if he sees me tonight mom and realizes that he can’t…” Zhay tried to get out, but the words were lost to her sobbing.

 

“Stop that, stop that right now! Pull yourself together Dr. Zaire Hailee Daniels. You are made of stronger stuff. Everything that I’ve taught you may have been in absentia, but the rules still apply. You’ve work too hard on your recovery, to have a meltdown today. Where is my razor-sharp brainy smurf, who practically raised herself? Graduating from an accelerated high school when she was only 16 years old; no easy feat considering all the students there were th biggest bunch of nerds on the planet. My Zaire who obtained a Pre Med degree from one of the top colleges in the world-Harvard. My Sunny who had medical schools begging her to apply to their programs; but wanted to be near her dad so she went to Duke. Though I may add is one of the top medical schools in the country,  turning down some pretty good competition, Hopkins, Vandy, Stanford.  On top of that, working as a model to help pay for school; when it wasn’t even necessary. Not to mention acting as a mom to Chloe because I was never there; making sure that dad was comfortable in his last days, even though she was preparing for the inevitable. I point out all of these things because you my sweet, sweet Zaire are much stronger and smarter than you give yourself credit for, sweetheart. You won’t break or crumble if you have to let Dax go. It will hurt, yes, but you want what’s best for him right? If that’s what it takes, then you should take comfort in the fact that he isn’t hurting anymore.” Janis knew that Zhay was contemplating all that she had said because her crying stopped, “Tell you what, I was supposed to check in with my editor in London next month, why don’t I hop on the first thing smoking back to Atlanta and stop in London afterwards?”

 

“Mom, thank you. Thank you for talking me down. I feel much better and less anxious about dinner…I am so glad that you phoned. You don’t have to make a special trip here, just to hold my hand.” Zhay said, wiping away the last few tears. “By the way where are you, where did the wind send you this time?” Zhay teased.

 

“Funny, the wind blew me to Namibia; I’ve been here for a few weeks now. I know I don’t have to come to Atlanta to hold your hand; but I will, if that’s what you need Zaire.” Janis soothed, she could here some of the confidence returning to Zhay’s voice.

 

“I promise mom, if it comes to that, I will definitely track you down.” Zhay assured, feeling some of the tension leave her body. “I’ll let you get back to snapping your pictures, be safe and I’ll call you to let you know how dinner went.”

 

“Take care Sunny, I love you and I’ll see you in a few weeks.” Janis smiled, “Go fix that beautiful face of yours; dry those tears, and reapply your lipstick. Give my love to Chloe and tell her to please answer her damn phone when I call.”

 

Zhay laughed at her mom’s request, ever the photographer, she always told her girls, that a brave face always looks better with the right shade of lipstick. “I love you too mom and I will tell Chloe to call you.”

 

Zhay hung up the phone, and oddly enough after talking with her mother, she felt better. Janis had always been more of a friend to her and Chloe, than a mother; it wasn’t her style. The girls accepted that fact early on in the childhood and didn’t begrudge her, when she was flying off for months at a time, leaving them at home in the care of their father or nannies. In a way, Janis’ absence taught her daughters, how to be independent, quick thinking and courageous; but their compassionate, caring, and loving demeanor was a result of trekking around the globe with their father during his summers, helping others with Doctors Around the World. Today, Janis told Zhay to summon all of those wonderful traits to face whatever waited for her at dinner with Dax.

 

When she was younger, Zhay often wondered why her father, Dr. Austin Daniels never divorced Janis; instead he would welcome her back home each and every time as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Her father explained to her one day, that Janis was like a firefly.

 

“Sunny, mom is like a firefly. She’s always buzzing around mesmerizing you; tempting you to catch her, just so you can drink in the wondrous beauty of her light. But what happens when you capture the firefly and hold it too long?” Her father probed.

 

“Their light dies out.” Zhay quietly offered.

 

“That’s right, they loose their shine and allure. If mom stays put to long, her light will die out.” Austin kissed her cheek and assured, “Mom, will be back, she loves us too much to stay away.”

 

He was right, she always did comeback to them; she was there to morn the loss their father a few years ago, there when she got married, and later to spend months with Zhay as she recovered.

 

Zhay finally understood her parent’s relationship; her father loved her mother so much that he just had to let Janis, be.  She thought on that for a moment, and decided that if that was what she had to do for Dax, she would.

 

She then took her mother’s advice of making herself beautiful for her patients and went into her private restroom to check her face in the mirror.

 

“I must look like a wreck, no need to scare my patients, they’re usually scared when they come to so me anyway.” She joked, wiping away the last few traces of tears.

 

She looked in the mirror to really look at herself. She barely recognized the face that stared back. Gone was her natural glow from her smooth earthen toned face that so many envied; what remained was a dull ashen grey sheen. Her warm cognac eyes that once sparkled with life now looked wearied and murky. As for her hair, well she was just happy that it had not fall completely out; though much shorter than she could ever remember it being.  Her face was gaunt and a bit hollow. She promised herself to work on regaining the 20 pounds that she’d lost. She had regained some semblance of her appetite and was even back to her daily 5-mile run.

She laughed at that, all those summers that she spent as a product model, in order to pay for school, she couldn’t loose weight no matter what crazy diet she tried. Alas, no magazine or catwalk jobs for her; not that she was fat, but she just wasn’t model thin, like Chloe. Maybe she should call Diane, Chloe’s agent to see if she could get a catwalk gig now that she was so thin.

 

Suffering from depression was not only emotionally draining but physically taxing as well. Zhay experienced body aches and soreness and she often found herself fatigued and tired, even on days when she didn’t do anything strenuous. Sleep sometimes evaded her but other times it overwhelmed her. She was still taking it one day at a time, but was feeling like she now had control of her life and feeling stronger. She volunteered at a women’s shelter once a week; and for the past few weeks, she had returned to seeing patients on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings.  However, today, her self-confidence was slipping all due to Dax’s phone call. She couldn’t endure his rejection yet again. Not today. 

She started tearing up again, “Ethan, I still love you too but I can’t get my hopes up, only to have you crush them, because you can’t forgive and trust in our love again.” 

Zhay resolved that she would go to dinner with Dax, talk and listen to what he had to say; but she would leave her desires of reconciliation in the car.

End Notes:
Thank you again for reading. Please for give typos and errors. Tell me what you think. I appreciate all of your feedback.
Chapter 5 - I get it, you love her by kellyklue
Author's Notes:
Double post day. Enjoy.
9:31 

“I think that Cooper Industries is going to be blown away with these designs, son.” Barron Daxton complimented Dax.

 

Though Barron was no longer CEO of Daxton Enterprises, he found time to consult on special projects if Dax requested it. Barron was Dax’s greatest resource, though he often told Dax that he was a much better architect and a more astute engineer than Barron ever was. When Barron told Dax that he was going to retire and hand operations over to him, Dax was surprised. His dad loved his work and loved the company, so he couldn’t imagine what how he would spend his days, his dad wasn’t the retied, gone fishing type. When Dax inquired about his retirement plans, Barron said he was simply going to enjoy the spoils of his labor, or maybe teach.

 

The Silver Fox, as Barron was aptly dubbed around Atlanta, on account of his excellent physical condition for a man his age, he still he ran marathons for sport and was known to shuck his shirt when working onsite at charity building events. His silver hair and, indigo eyes were a startling combination and those eyes seemed to pin you down where you stood. The slow sexy smile that could charm women half his age out their clothes, easy southern drawl, and charisma, often had women openly flirting with him; even while in the company of his wife, Alise.

With a sugar here and a darlin’ there, a kiss on the cheek and the stroke of an errant hair strand, he effortlessly had women eating out of his palm, except for one. He had the southern gentleman thing down to an art and the women ate it up. 

The men were often times just as awestruck as the ladies, clamoring to be in his presence, as if he were the cool high school quarterback everyone wanted to befriend. They would seek him out to pick his brain regarding a political issue or partner with him in business. He was an astute business leader, a very generous philanthropist, an engaging personality all the way around and people loved him. If they only knew the real Barron, Dax laughed to himself.

 

“Thanks dad, but this was all Harper, I’m riding shot-gun on this one; I’m just doing some clean-up work and putting some finishing touches on the overall concept.” Dax offered moving between the 3D image on his computer monitor, and the plans sprawled over his drafting table.

 

Though he was the CEO of the architectural & engineering design firm, that his grandfather founded, he still enjoyed doing actual work. The PR department and the chairman of the board, his father, easily handled all of the other fluff work.

 

“Harper has real talent Ethan, watch out for that one, he’ll have your job in no time.” Barron joked, “Take my advice; I know I wish I had listen to Dad, when he told me to watch out for you.”

Dax half smiled at that, he envisioned his grandfather pulling his dad aside to warn him that Dax was plotting to take over the company. Archer Daxton was a special breed.

 

“Well, if there is nothing else, I am going to head downstairs to my office to look over the rest of these contracts, and maybe sketch a little.” Barron said putting on his jacket and tossing the files that he needed to review in his briefcase. “So mom wants to know if we’ll see you tonight for family dinner, since you where out of town last week.”

 

“Not tonight dad, I’m having dinner with Zhay.” Dax replied briefly looking up from the model that he was working on.

 

Barron slowed his movement, pining his son with those indigo eyes, challenging him to recant what he just said, “Say that again, I don’t think that I heard you correctly.”

 

“I think that you heard me just fine dad, I’m having dinner with Zhay tonight.” Dax responded not breaking eye contact with his father, “Tell mom that my wife and I already have plans, but we’ll put dinner with the family on the calendar for next Thursday, if Zhay is available.”

 

“Ethan, you can’t be serious.” Barron screeched. “Your wife, that’s a joke right; when was the last time that you even spoke to her?”

 

“Granted, it has been awhile since we’ve spoken but that doesn’t change anything.”  Dax insisted, calmly. “We’ve agreed to meet for dinner…to talk about us.”

 

“Son, you’ve avoided seeing or speaking to her for the nearly a year, because you couldn’t face her. Let her move on, so you both can heal. What can you possibly gain from having dinner tonight?” Barron asked searching Dax’s face for an answer.

 

“I hope to get my life back, I hope to gain my wife back; I want a fresh start for us.” Dax replied calmly, going back to the drafting table.

 

“Really?” Barron questioned, “One dinner and you expect that all will be put to rights? She filed for divorce Ethan, let her go.” Barron walked over to face Dax.

 

“Come on dad, I’m not that naïve; please give me some credit. I know it won’t be easy. But I expect to tell my wife that I still love her, that I don’t want a damn divorce; beg her to forgive me for everything that I put her through this past year and for being the world’s biggest ass, and to please find it her heart to trust and believe in me again.” Dax answered back, without giving his father another glance.

 

Barron didn’t respond to Dax immediately, he looked at son, really looked at him. Dax had always been very headstrong and independent, from a very young age; hardly ever soliciting help from either him or Alise, coming to them only if he had to.  Even now as CEO of D.E., he hardly sought Barron’s input, yet he successfully expanded their business into South America, the Middle East, and parts of Asia, doubling profitability in a down economy and garnering much recognition and praise for his savvy business style. Barron couldn’t be anymore full of pride than he was of his son, who had excelled in the role as the new CEO in such a short time.  Yes, some called him conceited, egotistical, and arrogant but in the same breath they called him brilliant, forward thinking, genius. He had a right to be arrogant Barron always challenged the naysayers, telling them that Dax’s talent was unmatched. This was Barron’s legacy-a strong, self assured, talented, intelligent son, poised to take the company to the next level.

 

This year though, his son had changed into a malicious, spiteful, bitter individual.  To say that Dax had endured the year from hell was an understatement. It distressed Barron to no end that he could not ease the torment that hounded his son. He couldn’t call in a favor, blackmail or pay off anyone to repair all the damage that his son had endured and inflicted. He hated to admit it, but Dax would have to fix this himself.

 

Barron knew that Dax was serious about Zhay and a refusal from her was not an option. That worried him. Dax was rarely refused anything, professionally or personally. Even Barron found it difficult to say no to his son; the one time Barron refused Dax, he realized just how determined his son was.

 

Barron mused on the day that Dax announced he didn’t plan to attend the family’s alma mater Georgia Tech, for his undergraduate degree; but rather he had been accepted to Ryerson PolyTech in Canada and would start there in the fall instead. Barron warned him that he would not pay his tuition to any school other than G’Tech. Dax didn’t even balk, he simply advised that he had already cashed in all of the bearer bonds that Grandma Estelle had given him for his birthdays, and that it was more than enough money to pay for his schooling.  What a clever move, Barron laughed; his son always got his way.

 

However, this could prove to be the one time where he didn’t get what he wanted.

Barron realized that if Zhay rejected him and Dax couldn’t recover from this heartbreak, the Dax they knew and loved would be lost to them forever. Shaking off recent unpleasant memories of his son’s agony, Barron sighed and rubbed his chin.

 

“I have to tell you son, I am worried that you maybe setting yourself up for disappointment, you have been really callous towards Zhay. Do you think that she can easily forgive that? Do you really think that you can face her and keep your emotions buried for one evening? Are you sure that you are strong enough to face your problems and open up all those wounds now? You refused to face them and her all this time. Ethan, this past year I have watched you turn into someone that I do not recognize both physically and mentally. I mean look at you, you’re not even wearing a proper suite, khakis, and a polo shirt in office, on a day when you’re meeting clients? And that blazer you’re wearing needs to be pressed. You need a haircut and a shave, you have bags under your eyes, and you’ve lost what 30-40 pounds?” Barron inquired. Dax shrugged his shoulders indicating that he had no idea.

 

“I’ve watched my sharp, confident, handsome, sophisticated son become a withdrawn, antagonistic, unstable person. You refuse to seek any sort of treatment, and given what has happened….Ethan, maybe you should seek professional help before you and Zhay start talking about a life together.” Concerned and fear now etched over Barron’s face.

 

“Dad, I know…I know that you are concerned for my well being, and I love and appreciate you for it. To be honest, I am still trying to work through my feelings but I will, we will get counseling together, what ever it takes to work through the pain, together.” Dax moved to sit down behind his desk, he was tired he didn’t want to argue with his dad, not today, not about this. “All I know is I love Zhay, she is my air, and everyday I’m without her it feels like I’m suffocating. Without her I’m not living, I’m merely existing. My life is passing me by, I need her dad; you of all people should understand that.” Dax finished, looking at Barron for his support. “So could you just please be my dad today, and say son, it will all work out for the best.”

 

Barron sighed and ran his finger through his hair; he hated to be a witness to his son’s suffering when all he wanted to do was protect him from the pain. Barron knew too well exactly, what Dax was feeling. He was so unwavering in his desire of reconciliation, that the possibility of Zhay refusing him scared Barron, Dax sounded almost obsessive.

Barron failed to protect Dax from succumbing to the sadness before, but he’d be damned if he let it happen again.

 

“Ethan, I’ve always supported no matter what right?” Barron inquired.

 

Dax nodded yes and looked up at his father.

 

“But son, do you hear yourself? You can’t breathe without her. She’s your life. What happens if there is no happy ending? What if your relationship in beyond repair? What happens then? Do you finish what you attempted a few months ago?” Barron challenged.

 

Dax paled at his father’s reference to his accidental overdose, “For the last time dad, I told you, I got drunk, woke up with a headache, and took what I thought were pain killers; stupid yes attempted suicide no.” Dax gritted out of clenched teeth, now standing to face off with Barron.

 

His father gave him a knowing look, “Oh cut the bullshit Ethan, 12 sleeping pills in a drunken haze was no accident. You can’t even own that shit, how in the hell are you going to fix your marriage.” Barron screeched, taking a moment to reign in his emotions, he continued, “Watching you suffer through this is one of the most difficult things that I’ve ever had to do; it’s so painful, because I feel so helpless. Do you know what it was like to find your barely breathing son clammy and unresponsive? Your death….your death would have killed us. That girl nearly destroyed you, Ethan. You’ve both suffered enough already let it go, let her go.”

 

Dax looked at his father. It maybe the first time that his father had dropped his stoic shield and showed real emotion. He would have been impressed by the display, if it were not for the fact that Barron was trying his hardest to sway him from meeting with Zhay.

 

He knew that he had scared his family with his overdose, that wasn’t his intention. He just wanted to escape the aching that he constantly felt; just for a little while. That night he actually drove to the house to see her, but he didn’t even make it out of the car before his tears started falling. He wanted to see her, he needed to see her; but he couldn’t face her, not like that. So he went back home to drink his pain away, later passing out. The next thing he remembered was waking up in the hospital. When his mother and father told him what happened, he was confused. Did he get so drunk that he didn’t remember taking the pills? Did he actually try to kill himself? He agreed with his parents that it was best to take sometime off from work and get away for a while. However, the solitude only reminded him of what he lost and what he was missing. No, he couldn’t give up on Zhay, he wouldn’t give up on them.

 

“First, Zhay is not a girl, she is a woman and most importantly she is my wife and I love her. Second, don’t you dare tell me about how painful it is to find someone you love barely breathing, I live with that every damn day. You want me to let her go dad, I can’t. Ask me to do something else, cut off my fingers so that I can’t draw anymore; empty my bank account and give every dollar to charity, ask me to duel with the devil himself, anything dad, ask me to do anything, except give her up. I’ve tried for a year to go it alone without her and I’ve failed miserably. I know now that the only way that I can get better is if she is by my side. If you can’t support me on this, then we have nothing left to talk about.” Dax warned, walking to the windows to stare over the city.

 

This wasn’t what Barron wanted, he didn’t want to upset his son. He just wanted to shield Dax from any further hurt. Barron walked over to Dax standing next to him placing his arms around his shoulders.

 

“Ethan, I get it, you love her. You’ve spent a year apart with very little communication, because you pushed her away; Think about that, son.  All I want is for you to be prepared to face the fact that you may not get what you want, not this time. I want to believe that love can conquer all, but will it be enough to rebuild your shattered foundation?  Son, I hate to be the one to tell you this but, sometimes love just isn’t enough.”  He tried to make eye contact with Dax, but he didn’t acknowledge his father. Barron knew his son well enough to know, that the conversation was now over. With that, Barron picked up his brief case and headed for the door.

 

“Is that what you told, Rosie all those years ago?” Dax threw over his shoulders at his father, “Love just isn’t enough?”

 

Barron halted mid stride, completely caught off guard by Dax’s question. It took him a few seconds to process what Dax had just asked. How was he supposed to respond to that? What did Dax know about his relationship with Rosie? Not today, he couldn’t talk about that today. He turned to look over at his son, but Dax continued to stare out at the view.  

 

“I’ll see you at the Cooper Industries meeting at 1 o’clock.” Barron replied curtly and continued out of Dax’s office.

End Notes:

Leave me a love note and tell what you think, the good or not so good :-). Have a great weekend.

 

Chapter 6-Thanks for coming out, man.... by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

I know...I know....I suck....but trust me these characters just won't leave me alone. This is a transistion chapter and I plan on updating another chapter soonest. Thank you all for reading and commenting, truly it helps, please let me know what you think... ;-)...To those writers that do this day in and out....you are the bomb!!!! Do the kids still say that ;-0..lol...

 

 Additional Players..

 

Harville Vohn

Delaine Vohn

10:15 am

“Thanks for coming out, man; I owe you one.” Mason thanked, offering Dax a hard hat and protective eye wear to tour the massive condo structure.

Mason Grey and Dax had been best friends for as long as they both could remember; and though they were often viewed as business adversaries, nothing could be further from the truth.  Where Dax’s style was more cutting edge and futuristic; Mason‘s was more classic and Zen like. They were both highly sought after artisans and often recommended the other for top design jobs. Where Dax was arrogant and boastful, Mason was humble and modest. But their friendship worked and they were always there for each other. It was Mason, who bailed Dax out of jail in Mexico on spring break; toasted with him the day he took over D.E.; introduced Dax to Zhay and later stood next to him when he promised to love Zhay forever. They were more than friends, they were brothers.

“You owe me more than one,” Dax joked, “just pay my damn consulting fee when you get your bill in the mail.”

“Yeah, sure.” Mason smirked leading the way to the first tower.       

Dax let out a loud whistle upon entering the structure; the crew was hard at work, but Dax’s critical eye had already picked up some crucial flaws in the construction, but he didn’t want to alarm Mason; not yet anyway.  “Who was the architect on this project?”  he asked.

“Javier Montenegro, he has some great ideas about design and real raw talent.” Mason replied following Dax as he moved from concrete pillar to concrete pillar testing the steel casings.

“What is the estimated completion date?” Dax asked rubbing the back of his neck.

“18 months, barring any unforeseen impediments, you know natural disasters, global steel shortages, timber strike, Somali Pirates holding the glass shipment hostage.” Mason riddled off jokingly.

“50 stories? Modern mostly glass and ultra green in design?  Hmmm.” Dax noted, talking mostly to himself. “Pre fab concrete pillars?”

“Yes, Dax. And don’t do that. It’s never good when you start talking like that.”  Mason paced, running his fingers through his dark brown tresses.

“Like what?” Dax asked confused, rubbing his chin.

“Like Mason, you dumbass; you should know better?” Mason replied and briefly stopped his pacing.

“You said it; I didn’t.” Dax laughed, rubbing his temples.

“Well, it seemed adequate. I mean unless we encountered some major problem in securing the glass, the timeframe was achievable.” Mason continued pacing, stopping only to read Dax’s face occasionally.

 Dax noticed that construction seemed a bit off from the designs Mason showed him in the trailer earlier; he knew his buddy was in trouble once he started moving around the c structure; something didn’t feel right. He wanted to advise Mason to halt construction immediately and talk to the site manager to get his thoughts on the project so far.

“What about the construction? Who’s running the site? Dax inquired noting that the site manager had yet to come over to greet them, in the 20 minutes that they had been there. He stopped a moment to pull out the blue prints and the engineering specs to look them over on a nearby work bench.

“Harris Nolan, from Dampier West Construction, I’m not sure where he is;” Dax looked around not seeing Nolan, “He knew that I was coming out today. And the engineers are a group out of Houston. I’ve never worked with them, but Nolan recommended them.” Mason finished, watching Dax’s eyes move rapidly over the prints.

“Shit, did you say Houston? Dax asked quizzically, looking to his friend, “please for the love all things good, do not tell me it’s Harmon Brother’s Engineering?”  Dax warned, rubbing a hand down his face.

Mason gulped loudly, “Yes. Why? Have you worked with them before?” Mason asked a bit panicked.

This isn’t good, Dax thought, “I’ve never worked with them before; but do you remember the mall parking deck collapse in Virginia last summer?” Mason nodded in the affirmative. “Harmon Brothers; not to mention that condo complex in Florida sinking into that massive sinkhole or that..”  But before Dax could finish his thoughts Mason waved it off.

“Fuck, this isn’t good.” Mason cursed pacing wildly, grabbing his cell phone to call Nolan. “Where in the hell did Nolan find these clowns? And how the hell are they still in business? Shit I knew I should have bid this job out; but Nolan has never screwed up like this?” Mason rambled on, grabbing his cell phone and punching the numbers on the keypad.

“Nolan, It’s Mason; I am on site at the Renaissance Tower project, how soon can you get here? I’m here with Dax from Daxton Engineering and we have a few questions.  Yep. No. Now.” Mason ordered he was beyond irritated. “Just get here Nolan.” Mason screamed into the phone, causing some of the crew to stop what they were doing. Mason was always so easy going that an outburst like that was way out of character for him.

Mason took a deep breath and moved to the make shift table where Dax had the building plans sprawled out.  Dax had been on the phone contacting Structural, Mechanical and Electrical engineering firms that he partnered with.  Though Dax’s company handled structural consulting, they were mostly engaged in railway and bridge enhancement  projects of late, both overseas and across the country; leaving them unable to work on Mason’s project in the time framed need to complete the towers.

 “How bad is it?” Mason inquired moving to stand next to Dax.  Mason knew that a delay in construction due to their negligence was the kiss of death for a firm. Shit, his first project and he thought that he had done his due diligence when he selected the key players for his team. Now here he was staring in the face of a calamity, if the engineering specs were proven to be off and they had to delay the project; or worst if it were stopped altogether, his company could be out millions of dollars.

“Let’s not assume the worst just yet.” Dax answered in an attempt to evade Mason’s question. “I’ve called a couple of firms that we outsource to that I’ve worked with personally. When I get back to the office I’ll put in a few more calls and get Dad to come out and give you his opinion.” Dax could tell that Mason was panicking, this was the first big job that he was running solo and it was the boost that he needed to move out of his own father’s shadow. “Maybe Harmon Brother’s have cleaned up there shit and actually hired well trained engineers; I think that we are just being overly cautious.” Dax offered, trying to reassure his friend.  Mason knew better. He and Dax had been friends for a long time and they could easily read each other.  Dax was just as concerned as he was. Mason saw it the minute Dax took the plans out and began roaming around the structure.

“Where in the hell, did Nolan find these guys?” Mason questioned checking his cell phone.

“Hacks-r-us.” Dax joked attempting to lighten up his friend’s mood, while gathering the plans and specs.

“Well, Nolan said that he’ll be here in two shakes? Whatever the hell that means; so let’s go wait in the trailer. My head hurts….” Mason complained as he headed towards the exit.

Both men talked with the crew as they made their way to the make shift construction offices, housed in three trailers just across the street from the site.  Mason’s phone began to ring and reflexively Dax reached for his own, realizing that he didn’t have it.

“Shit, I left my phone on the work bench, which trailer is your office again?” Dax asked, turning to head back into the towers.

“Number 3.” Mason called over his shoulders, “I’ll fix us a drink, or two.”

“Mase, it’s not even noon yet.” Dax laughed at his friend and turned back to enter the towers. He sincerely hoped that he was wrong about the Harmon Brothers shoddy engineering, but something just kept nagging at him. He knew quite a few firms that had been burned by them and he was amazed that they were still in business. How Mason, had never heard of them was a bit off putting and he made a mental note to ask him about it later.

*************************************************************************************

10:43 am

 

Once Dax reached the area that he and Mason had just vacated, he stopped a moment to check his phone for messages, in less than 10 minutes, he already had 5 missed calls. He scrolled through them and was both sad and relieved that none of them were from Zhay.  Sad because he wanted to hear her voice saying that she loved him too and relieved that she did call to cancel dinner. He missed her; he promised himself in that moment that he would make everything right between them.  

Just then Dax was roused from his musings, when a loud explosion rocked the structure.  The explosion sent workmen and supplies flying in all directions; knocking Dax on to his back. Groaning from the fall he just took, Dax got up from the spot where he landed and heard the frantic calls to determine the work crew’s safety. Everyone was a bit dazed and confused but otherwise could stand and walk about on their own accord.

“What the hell was that?” Dax asked one of the crew men, still a bit shaken by the blast.

“I have no idea, this building is still mostly steel and concrete, nothing electrical in place yet other than what we need for our tools and what not.” The worker advised.

Dax nodded in understanding, “Let’s just try to get everyone out of here, so we can figure this out.”

Dax’s stomach was twisted in knots, this was worst than he feared. Before he could usher the rest of the work crew out of the tower a loud rumbling could be heard and felt by everyone; the structure began shaking and debris began falling from the collapsing tower.  It was suddenly pitched black, as if the day had magically transformed into night without warning.  Before Dax could even contemplate his next step he was struck in the head by falling rubble. As he started falling into the darkness, his thoughts went to Zhay, their life, their lost love. He wanted her to know that he loved her, he forgave her; he wanted them to be a family again. No matter what, they would have their happily ever after.

 11:18 am

 

“Fuck me, this is bad!” Mason cursed, “Do we know how many of the construction crew are still inside?” he yelled at Nolan.  Nolan finally showed up, minutes before the accident. “I swear to god Nolan, if any of my men die, I am going to nail your fucking sorry ass to the wall and build a damn strip mall on top of your head.” Mason promised pinning Nolan with a glare so icy Nolan knew that he meant it.

“Mason, I’m sorry, I don’t know what, what...” Nolan babbled, “Um, were still not sure, some of them men got out after the first explosion; but the structure started crumbling so fast after the second it’s unlikely that everyone got out in time. Harlan is still trying to get and exact account of who is still missing.” Nolan informed staring off to the collapsed site.

*************************************************************************************11:31 am

 

Ash, dust and broken concrete completely blanketed the construction site. Emergency, fire and police personnel swarmed the scene, Mason knew that it was only a matter of time before the news crews showed up and he needed to be prepared. Shit this was bad. Mason thought still holding a bandage to his head. He was hit by falling debris running to the site after the first blast.

“Jenna!” Mason yelled at his assistant “Get PR on the phone tell them to prepare a press statement for both print and televised media distribution once we’ve finalized rescue plans with the fire and EMT personnel.”

Mason got on the phone with his father to update him on what they had learned so far. To say that Evans Grey was pissed was an understatement. An accident at a construction site was the worst kind of press.  Mason’s PR team was already working on damage control, but they all knew that they were facing a PR nightmare.11:49 am

Chief Ballard, we think that there could be up to at least 20 people still un accounted for in the rubble.” Nolan offered the fire chief.” We want to hold off on a briefing until we can get a hold of the site engineers.”  The chief agreed, but insisted on speaking with the reps from the gas company; he advised that it wasn’t too early to rule anything out.

*************************************************************************************

12:16 pm

 

Barron entered the office quietly, careful not to interrupt or startle her as she was on the phone. It didn’t matter Rosie could always sense when he was nearby.  She turned away from the windows, giving him one of her heart melting smiles and waved 1 finger indicating that she would be done in a minute, motioning him to take a seat.

Barron stared at Rosanna, she was as stunning as she was the day he walked into the office and found her sitting behind the receptionist desk, all those years ago.  He lost his heart to her the minute he looked into her striking chocolate eyes; all of the plans that he struggled through the door with fell to the floor. He was rendered speechless when she politely smiled, got up from her desk and introduced herself; in the two minutes she took to help him recover the plans, he fell in love with her.  Barron sighed, thinking about love lost and regrets; a love so passionate and enduring that it has the intensity to burn and hurt; even when that isn’t the intent. What he and Rosie, had / have is /was (he was no longer sure anymore) beyond love or lust or even infatuation. They were simply the other half of each other.

“Laine, I have to go now, honey. I will see in a few weeks. La mère vous aime et envoie vous embrasse et embrasse d'Atlanta. Muah, muah, love you too.”  Rosie finished her phone conversation, closed her eyes and sighed; completely forgetting that Barron was still sitting there. She missed her daughter.

“Laine is well?” Barron inquired. “Is she still enjoying running the streets of Paris and studying at the Sorbonne?” he questioned; it had been a while since he’d seen Rosie’s daughter Delaine. But from all accounts, she had matured into a rather accomplished, beautiful young woman. She spoke 5 languages fluently; taught English to orphans around the world. Worked with the Peace Corps and UNICEF and even found time to paint and graduate from Oxford, while earning a full ride to the most coveted Sorbonne.

“Laine is fabulous, just making plans to spend the summer on an archaeological dig in Egypt; much to my chagrin.” Rosie tensed, “Of all the places, she wants to traipse off to; the middle east, to play in the dirt none the less; just to give her dear old mother a heart attack. I have a mind to sign up for the dig too; just show up there. Egypt? All this dirt right here in the US and she needs to …..” Rosie bemoaned but stopped once she saw the smirk on Barron’s face. “What?” she smiled at him.

Barron laughed, if he knew Rosie and he did; she would pack up shop and go to Egypt for the summer just to make sure that Laine was safe. “You’re not going to Egypt,” Barron teased, “Laine will be fine; she’s lived on her own for how long now? Swiss boarding schools, undergrad in London; summers in Australia and New Zealand, Kenya and South Africa; teaching in Cambodia and now college in Paris. She knows how to stay out of harm’s way, you’ve taught her well.”  He assured.

“Thank you, but all the credit should go to Harville; he was the one who put all those grand ideas in her head. If I had my way, she would have graduated from Spelman, like the rest of the women in my family. But no, her father just had encouraged her to see the world, love it and live in it; he always told her.” Rosie surmised, completely missing the way Barron flinched at the mention of her husband and Delaine’s father.

Barron, didn’t know why after all these years, the fact that Rosie married bothered him.  If he were honest with himself, he could answer that. He had no right to feel any angst; After all he too was married. But still, he felt slighted that Rosie had found love in Harville Vohn. He guessed a part of him felt that she would always be there for him, only him. Love only him. Selfish, he knew but that was just what he was, all those years ago. Though he loathed admitting it, he knew that Harville had been both a good husband to Rosie and an excellent father to Laine.  And worst he couldn’t begrudge a dead man for loving her, she made it so easy. After all this time he still thought about her as the fresh faced 19 year old, that drove him crazy without even trying. His love, his heart, Rosie would always be his no matter what.

He stared at her for a minute as she continued her little tirade and smiled; he often wondered what their life would have been like if he hadn’t….he stopped himself. He knew that thinking about what could have been wasn’t fair to either Rosie or his wife. Alise his wife whom he loved dearly, but who was often lost to him in moments like this. Moments when he would get lost in her eyes, those soulful brown pools and that devastating smile hypnotized him each and every time; losing his heart to Rosie all over again.

Almost sensing that Barron was in another world, Rosie pulled him from his daydream, to find out what he needed. “Any way, I’m sure you didn’t come in here to listen to me ramble on about the injustices and worry that mother’s suffer at the hands of their carefree children.” She teased. “What’s up?”

“Actually, I was looking for Ethan,” Barron hesitated, “We had a little…um disagreement earlier and I wanted to apologize to him; but I can’t seem to find him. And he is not answering his phone.”

Rosie pulled up his calendar on Outlook and was confused that he wasn’t back from meeting Mason yet. She looked at the clock to check the time 12:27pm. That wasn’t like Dax, to cut it this close with a presentation.

“Let’s see, he was going over to meet Mason at around 10 o’clock; for about an hour. He has the Cooper Industry presentation at 1pm.  4 o’clock is the conference call with the West Coast office and then dinner with Zhay at 7pm.?” Rosie finished, reaching for the phone to call Dax to find out where he was. But, she didn’t get an answer either.  Strange she thought.

“I’ll give Mason a call to find out if Ethan is on his way here; once he gets back in I’ll be sure to send him directly to the conference room.” Rosie promised, staring into his mesmerizing blue eyes.

“Thanks, beautiful.” Barron responded tenderly before getting up and heading for the office door.  He turned around and stole one more look at her, “I miss you, Rose.” He offered before disappearing into the hallway.

“I know, Barry” she smiled, “I miss you too.” She knew what that meant and what he couldn’t say, they had promised each other that they wouldn’t revisit that place.

1:10 pm

 

“Ethan, it’s Rosie. Your butt better be on the elevator on your way up to the conference room. The Cooper meeting started 10 minutes ago. Where are you and Mason hiding? He’s not answering his phone either.  Call me back asap.” Rosie had a bad feeling; she knew that Harper would be presenting today, but still Dax was never this cavalier with clients. He would never flake out on a meeting and not call to tell her, something was wrong.

*********************************************************************************

1:32 pm

 

“Listen, Mason Harlan is right, in a crisis like this, you need to utilize all of your available resources. Most of our heavy equipment is buried underneath the rubble; let’s contact all of construction sites in a 5-10 mile radius to get some of their equipment here. It is the fast and most efficient way to start digging.” Nolan advised. “Let me call all of my contacts, I have a pretty good idea who is working on most of the projects in the area, please let me do this. I know you want to minimize the press on this but, the more time we spend talking, the less time the men have breathing. It has been nearly 3 hours if any one survived the collapse, we need to make sure that we get them out before they start running out of air.”

That statement alone shocked Mason into action, “Make sure you go over this with the EMT, fire and police chiefs and we have to be sure that the area is stable enough to handle the weight of all the equipment that we need to bring in.” Mason took another look at the site before being whisked away by his PR team. “Harlan, I need you to come with me; I want to brief the workmen’s families and make sure that everyone on your official list is accounted for.” *************************************************************************************

1:53 pm

 

“Barron, I have to tell you that I am really impressed with the presentation.” David Cooper praised, “Harper is quite talented, the design is everything we hoped for, where do we sign?”

“How about we sign the contract over a late lunch? Barron asked checking his watch; masking his annoyance that Dax didn’t show up for the presentation.

“That sounds great, will Dax join us then?” David inquired, “I was hoping to pick his brain on a few other projects today.”

“Let me check, Ethan wasn’t up to par this morning but was running from site to site making sure that all of the projects were on time and budget; I tell you he is one special kind of CEO, still designing, going out to sites, a real hands on guy. Nothing like me right, I was never afraid to delegate.” Barron joked as he dialed Ethan again; he knew men like David, men like him would feel slighted that Ethan didn’t even show up to pitch his own company. “Rosie, is Ethan in the building? David, Harper and I are going to the Commerce Club for lunch and wanted him to join us; OK. ..well let him know so that he can meet us there.” Barron hung up the phone and walked over to Harper.

“Harper, great job today.” Barron praised, “We are going to the Commerce Club for lunch. Have you heard from Ethan? Rosie said he never came back from meeting Mason and he still isn’t answering his phone.”

Harper immediately tensed up, right before heading into their meeting, he heard about an explosion at one of Mason’s construction sites in Midtown.  “Was he meeting Mason, at his office or on site?” Harper questioned, trying not to sound alarmed.

“In the office, I guess. I think they were working on that joint charity construction project?” Barron pondered, but he wasn’t sure.  

“Let me track Mason down and find out where Dax was headed once he left their meeting; he maybe upstairs sleeping, he didn’t look so good this morning.” Harper hoped that he was, but his gut was telling him something else. “We’ll meet you at the Commerce Club.” Harper assured Barron and walked over to David’s team to wrap the meeting.

Barron dialed the number to Ethan’s penthouse, but didn’t get an answer. “Son, if you’re there please pick up. Barron sighed We’re taking the Cooper team to the Commerce Club for lunch in 10 minutes. Meet us over there.”  Where could he be Barron wondered, he hoped that Dax wasn’t still mad about their talk earlier. He just didn’t wanted Dax to feel the disappointment that he lived with everyday due to his own negligence. He knew that Ethan was stubborn and would come to him in time to talk things over. But Barron couldn’t shake the nagging feeling that something was wrong; it was one thing for Dax to avoid his calls, but he would never avoid Rosie’s.

*************************************************************************************

2:08 pm

 

“Hey Darlin’, I got your message sorry I missed your call I was in the air. I’m actually in Miami picking up fresh supplies and meeting with WHO officials. I fly back to Haiti in the morning so call me when you can. Love you Zhay.” Adam hoped that Zhay was ok. He knew that every day was a struggle for her, but the last few times they spoke she sounded stronger.  But today, she sounded upset. She’s fine he told himself, probably just checking in and headed back into the medical staff briefing.

 2:12 pm

 

“Grey” Mason growled into his cell phone. It had been ringing non-stop, once it was revealed that the explosion site was a Hampton-Grey project. Fuck my life Mason thought.

“Mason, it’s Harper” Harper returned just as short.

“Listen Harper, I can’t talk now, I’m in the middle of some heavy shit right now.”  Mason rushed out.

“Yeah, I heard. Hey whatever you need just let me know and I can have a crew ready to go.” Harper offered more calmly than he felt.

“I appreciate that, and I may take you up on that, thanks.” Mason softened, he knew he was being an ass but it was just that kind of day.

“Oh Mason, one more thing, is Dax around? We’ve been trying to reach him but he isn’t answering his cell phone. He never came back to the office after your meeting.” Harper sat down upon hearing the silence on the other end of the phone.

Mason froze on the spot. He had been so caught up in everything that was happening he forgot that Dax had been there. “Fuck, fuck, fuck.” Mason cried, drawing the attention from everyone around him; he remembered that Dax went back inside the towers to retrieve his cell phone. “Harper let me call you back. I need to check on some things.”

“He’s there isn’t he?” Harper asked, though he already knew the answer.

“Yes, He was here, let me...Um…check to see if he is being treated by the EMT's.” Mason tried to get out but he was too overcome with emotion to finish. He knew Dax didn't make it out, he hadn't seen him.

“I’m on my way Mason.” Harper grabbed his keys and headed out of his office. Shit shit shit Harper thought how in the hell did this happen.  He sent up a silent prayer and walked over to Rosie’s office, how the hell was he going to tell her this.

He knocked on the door and she ushered him in.

“Rosie, I think I know where Dax is.” Harper offered and asked her to turn on the flat screen TV that was mounted on her office wall.

End Notes:
Comments please the good..not so good and well whatever you think! Next chapter on the way.......please forgive typos errors, etc :-).
Chapter 7-Does it say, I miss you lover... by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

We are getting to the meat of the story; I promise, I am going somewhere with this. Will post another chapter soonest. Have a great week everyone.

2:19 pm

“Hey you, how did the meeting go? Are you the new It Girl to Be Seen?” Zhay teased her baby sister Chloe.

“I am the new It Girl, dear sister; so let’s go out tonight and toast my success.” It had been a longtime since the Daniels sisters went out and had a good time. Chloe knew that Zhay would go through her usual excuses, but she wasn’t going to entertain her refusals today.

Zhay groaned, “I can’t tonight babes, I am having dinner with Ethan.” She moved the phone from her ear knowing that Chloe’s screams and shouts of disapproval would certainly burst her ear drums. To her surprise there was nothing. “Chloe, are you still there?” Zhay asked looking at her phone to make sure that the call hadn’t dropped.

“I’m here.” Was Chloe’s cool response.  “Did you hear what I just said?” Zhay asked. Chloe responded yes but offered nothing further. “And?” Zhay asked now pacing her office. “And…what?” Chloe countered, “What do you want me to say?”

“Something, I don’t know anything.” Zhay was trying to remain calm; she didn’t want to get into another argument about Dax, with Chloe.  “So you are having dinner with Dax, where?” Chloe responded with fake enthusiasm. “Cubana.” Zhay gushed, already conjuring up all of her possible outfit choices.

“Ok well, enjoy; we can celebrate another night….”  Chloe offered in an attempt to end the conversation. “Chloe, please I need you to be happy for me; don’t do that, don’t rain on my parade. Dax and I only want to meet and talk, finally; nothing more.” Zhay promised.

Chloe knew that she was being hard on Zhay, but she just felt so helpless watching her sister suffer through her depression and then struggling through her recovery. She wanted to be happy for her sister because she knew that Zhay loved Dax so much, but she couldn’t watch her sister go through another setback in her recovery if this “reunion” did work out well.

“Listen Zhay, if this is what you want, then I am happy for you; but I have to tell you that I am worried about the timing of this whole let’s talk thing. Don’t you find it odd that he wants to talk now that he’s been served with divorce papers?” Zhay knew that Chloe meant well, but still she wanted her support on this.

“Yes, but he was so adamant about us talking and Chloe he says that he doesn’t want a divorce, he wants us back.” Zhay barely finished before the tears started crawling down her face. “I love him, Sunny and I want this work.”

 “I know you do, and I hate to be such a Debbie downer, I just worry about you that’s all. I don’t want you to be hurt, if this meeting does work out they way you want it to.  Hey why don’t I come over and help you get dressed. It’s been a while since you’ve been out on a date.” Chloe teased, trying to lighten the tone of the conversation.

Zhay laughed lightly, “Thank you, I just have one more patient to see and need to finish a few things; then I am on my way home. So give me an hour or so.”

“Perfect that gives me enough time to go through your closet and hopefully find something that I like on you…. you know what I‘ll just bring some things over. You’ve lost so much weight, your sexy clothes won’t fit right.” Chloe uttered more to herself than Zhay.

“My sexy clothes?” Zhay laughed, “See you in a few.” She smiled a genuine smile, Zhay was feeling good. She was no longer feeling anxious, but a bit excited about seeing Ethan tonight. Good thoughts she told herself as she headed out of her office to see her final patient of the day.

***************************************************************

2:24 pm

“Are we sure that he is still in there?” Harper asked Mason again. He wanted to be 100 percent sure before he called Rosie to give her an update.  Mason confirmed with the crew that managed to evacuate the building after the first blast that Dax was not among those being treated by the EMTs.

Harper made the dreaded call and hoped that Dax would be found alive. “Rosie, I’m here and Dax… Mason is certain that Dax never made it out. Yes, his car is still here. OK. I’m not leaving until….until.... I’ll call as soon as I know something.” Harper was still in shock.

***********************************************************************************

2:32 pm

“Hi Rose, have you managed to track down Ethan?” Barron asked, trying to sound nonchalant only for the benefit of his client. He was fuming that both Dax and Harper had not turned up for lunch. “And has Harper fallen into the abyss as well, we started lunch without them.”

“Barry, there was…..you need to um, I’m not sure how…Ethan…?” Rosie sniffled. Immediately Barron tensed up, she was crying, “What’s wrong sugar?” Barron asked.

“There was an explosion….at one of Mason’s sites and…..” Barron sat straight up at that, “a building collapsed…Harper is there and…they……they think that Ethan is trapped inside the rubble.” Rosie barely got out.

“What?” Barron screeched into the phone, drawing the attention of the other patrons. Rosie repeated all that she knew and details of the rescue plans thus far. “Tell Harper and Mason I’m on my way.”  A thousand thoughts and images of Dax flashed in Barron’s mind.

“Listen, David I’m sorry to cut lunch short but, Ethan maybe hurt at one of Hampton-Grey’s worksite. There was some kind of explosion, so I need to….” Barron started but couldn’t finish.

“Go, make sure that Dax is well; please just, let us know that he is ok.” David stated, hoping that it was nothing serious. But he too knew that an explosion of any kind wasn’t good.

***************************************************************

2:41 pm

The valet brought Barron’s car around; he got in but didn’t drive off right away. His thoughts were all over the place. He prayed that Dax wasn’t severely injured; his thoughts drifted to their earlier conversation and he hated that their last exchange ended in an argument.  He paused to calm himself. He started to dial Alise, but stopped; he would call her when he knew exactly what they were up against. Hoping that he gathered enough strength to face what waited for him, he eased his BMW into traffic and headed to the construction site just a few miles away.

3:03 pm

Rosie sat at her desk, monitoring the lasted developments of the tower collapse via live reports on CNN. Anxious to hear any news from the scene, she picked up the phone twice to call Harper but didn’t. Then it occurred to her that perhaps, she should call Zhay but decided against it. She didn’t want to alarm her if, Dax was found ok at the scene. She was sitting there praying that that truly would be the case.

**********************************************************

3:12 pm

Once Barron neared the construction site he was awestruck by the complete chaotic nature of the collapse. The towers that he had driven past this morning were no more, reduced to nothing more than steel and concrete debris, possibly trapping his son in their falling furor. He parked in a nearby lot, that appeared to be a make shift command center for rescue personnel. Every where he looked there were emergency response vehicles. He immediately called Harper, who provided him with their location. Barron steeled himself for anything, but hoping that he wouldn’t have to make that phone call to Rosie and Alise.

3:21 pm

Harper sat in stunned silence as Mason continued to bark orders. The heavy equipment on loan was now on site and in use. They were hopeful when they initiated the rescue efforts as they dug out 7 members of the crew from the main tower entrance. But their glee was short lived when the engineers advised that they needed to scale back the use of the heavy equipment; due to the issue of the area becoming too unstable to support the additional weight.

“Dax came out, as a favor to me and walks into this shit. He knew something was wrong; and so did I.” Mason mumbled more to himself than to the others in the room. Harper knew that Mason was about to lose his shit; he had been blaming himself for the accident, though everyone had been trying to assure him that Dax and the other men would make it out ok. But they both new that time was ticking for all of them still trapped.

Just then Barron entered the make shift war room, where all the top rescue personnel were meeting to re-strategize and evaluate their options. Mason rushed over to speak with him, barely holding it together.

“Mr. Daxton, this is all my fault, Dax was here as a favor. He knew something was wrong in fact he was going to call you out to get your opinion. He taught me better, I didn’t follow through with my own thorough investigation; Dax always advised me to know all the players on the team and because I didn’t he…..those jokers out of Houston are going to regret the day the day they decided to screw with me.” Mason rambled on.

“Son, listen” Barron took Mason by the shoulders attempting to calm him down, “this isn’t your fault. The most important thing right now, is rescuing the others. Don’t worry about Harmon Brothers; they are going to regret the day that they messed with the Daxtons.” Mason hung his head absorbing what Barron had just said. “Now where are we in the rescue efforts? It has already been what, 4 hours since the towers collapse?” Barron questioned.

Mason relayed all the details of the rescue efforts and introduced him to everyone present. Barron spoke with the engineers to get their take on the situation and began making calls of his own to some of his contacts.

*********************************************************

3:40 pm

Before pulling out of the parking lot, Zhay listen to the message from Adam and tried to call him back. The call went straight to voice mail and she made a mental note to try reaching him again later on tonight or early in the morning. She knew that he would be worried about her and wanted to let him know that she was ok.

*********************************************************

4:05 pm

“So the cowboy called you all weepy and shit, begging you not to divorce him huh?” Chloe asked as Zhay changed into yet another outfit, relaying the details of her earlier phone conversation with Dax. “Serves him right for the way he’s been treating you.”

“Why do you still call him ‘the cowboy’?” Zhay laughed already knowing the answer to that. “And he wasn’t weepy, just….I don’t know……humble.”

“Come on, Dax humble? And you know why I call him the cowboy.” Chloe laughed. Zhay laughed too and smiled as her thoughts drifted to that afternoon when she first met Dax.

“She seems a bit smitten with you, Zhay. Do you still ride?” Erin Grey asked watching Zhay brush the horse’s mane.

Erin and Zhay had become fast friends in Medical School and always took time to catch up with each other; vowing never to let life get in the way, they opted to spend long weekends enjoying whatever city the decided to invade; sampling everything that the city had to offer. This year since Erin was in residency at Jackson Memorial in Miami and Zhay was at University Hospital in Durham, they decided to meet somewhere in the middle, Atlanta. Erin figured she could kill two birds with one stone; visit with her family and catch up with Zhay. The ladies decided to spend a few days in the city and sometime at the Grey Family Ranch.

“I do, but not as often as I’d like. Amira is gorgeous. She is an Andalusian, right?” Zhay asked still petting the dark brown horse with the shiniest coat she’d ever seen.

“Yes, she is and for an opening bid of a mere $20,000; she can be all yours. She is the grand item up for bid in this year’s charity auction.” Zhay turned towards the person who’d just uttered that tidbit of information and couldn’t stop the   laugh that escaped upon seeing Mason.

Erin rolled her emerald green eyes shook her head causing her long auburn tresses to sway and took to laughing at her brother too.“What the hell are you wearing?” Erin asked Mason as he entered the stalls.

“What? It’s my party clothes, I’m the resident rancher; I have to look the part, pearl shirt, six shooter, spurs and all.” He offered, drawing attention to his feet encased in ostrich skin boots, dusting off his chaps, and making sure that the lasso that was tied to his waist was still in place.

“You look ridiculous.” Erin teased, wiping an errant tear from her right eye; she and Zhay were cackling so hard they both teared up a little.

“Well I have it on good authority that chicks, dig a strapping cowboy.” Mason remarked tipping the brim of his exaggerated frontier cowboy hat.

“Only the mindless twits that you seem to attract would ‘dig’ this get up; it screams bleed my pockets dry because  not only I’m I an easy target, but the biggest loser at this party.” Erin choked out between giggles.

“Laugh if you want too sis; but I know what the ladies love.” Mason said winking at them and picking up a bale of hay, moving it to another stall. “Did you want to take Amira out for a trot?” He asked Zhay, ignoring Erin, while shifting saddles and blankets around the stall.

“Could I? I mean if she is up for bid…I don’t want to spoil her for showing or anything.” Zhay wanted to take her out but not at the risk of injury. She knew that Mason held the annual BBQ every year at his family’s ranch to help raise money for the Starlight- Starbright Foundation and each year they ended the party by auctioning off a grand item; this year it was Amira.

“No, it’s cool, you can trot her around the corral if you want or Joe can take you out to the pasture.” He nodded towards the corral and then screamed for Joe, the ranch hand to saddle Amira for Zhay. Zhay jumped at the chance to ride on Amira but insisted that they only trotted around the corral.

The siblings continued to rib each other and groom the other horses while Zhay was out on her trot. They talked and caught up on each other’s lives, until they heard the heavy fall of footsteps entering the stables. Turning to see who was joining them in the stables, Erin dropped her head in exasperation.

“Oh for fucks sake, not you too Dax?” Erin screeched at her brother’s friend, throwing up her hands.  Mason immediately went over to greet his friend. The men exchanged pleasantries and complimented each other on their outfits; all the while completely ignoring Erin’s witty comments regarding their choices.Walking over to her brother and his friend, Erin perused Dax’s Wild West get up. “What is this rodeo clown day at the Grey Family Stables?” 

“What? I’ll have you know that this is the latest in Wild West cowboy chic, hot off the runways of Wyoming.” Dax smiled, pulling on the lapels of his charcoal frock coat, adjusting the black Sunday-go-to-meeting tie and smoothing down his crimson brocade vest. He was also sporting the requisite tight jeans, snake skin boots and 10 gallon hat.“You look like an extra from Dr. Quinn Medicine woman.” Erin snickered, “I swear you and my brother….” Erin exhaled nosily.

Just then Zhay returned from her trot and entered the stables still seated on Amira. She was still cooing over the animal when she noticed that someone else had joined their mini pre-party in the stables. In a word, the man was simply striking; trapping her with his beautiful sea green eyes, he watched her every move. The new arrival was gorgeous, with his movie star good looks, hint of stubble sprinkled along his jaw line; tall and lean exuding pure maleness and oh so sexy. He knew it too, evidence by the arrogant smirk on his face. He knew Zhay was checking him out and he was enjoying it. 

“And who is this little filly?” Dax asked appraising both the horse and the rider. He stood there taking in Zhay’s effortless beauty. Beautiful earthen toned skin, blessed with sparkling cognac eyes, luscious, kissable lips, capped with a crown of soft dark brown waves. Stunning.“Her name is Amira.” Was the haughty reply that Zhay tossed to the handsome newcomer, tapping the horse on the head.“Amira. Beautiful name, she is a princess of a horse.” He agreed, moving to pet her. “But I was referring to you, lovely.” Dax grinned, much to Zhay’s annoyance.

“Oh my god…do those lines really work on women?” Erin voiced wrinkling her nose at Dax, “That was the cheesiest shit that I’ve ever heard, that’s it I’m done.” Walking out of the stables mumbling that she couldn’t take anymore of Mason and Dax’s bullshit, she called to Zhay for them to go find Chloe and get ready for the party.

“Here darlin’, let me help you down.” Dax offered, helping Zhay off Amira. “Ethan Daxton at your service, but you beautiful may call me Dax; all of my friends do.” She took his hand eased off the horse being careful not to spook her.“Well Ethan, when I’ve come to regard you as a friend, I’ll be sure to remember that.” Zhay winked at him. After thanking Mason again for letting her ride Amira, she caught up to a still amused Erin, who was heading to the house to get ready for the BBQ.

Dax laughed at her response as she sashayed out of the stables. Nice, he thought; appreciating her lovely physique, home to curves in all the right places. Damn it her name. She didn’t give it to him.“Fuck me Mason, who is sexy chocolate and where have you been hiding her?” Dax uttered as his eyes followed Zhay’s disappearing form down the path to the ranch house.

“Oh no! No...No….no…Zhay is off limits, she is a good girl; not like the um…worldly women that you and I spend time with.” Mason exclaimed shaking his head ‘no’, walking out of the stables and heading to the newly erected bar built special for the BBQ.

“I think I’ve just been insulted.” Dax stopped, clutching his heart. “Are you implying that I’m not good enough for Zhay? Is that her name?  Zhay. Fuck, that’s sexy. “No. I’m not implying, I am stating.  Dr. Zaire Daniels is most certainly too good for you.” Mason stated in earnest. “She and Erin are buddies from med school.” “Brains and beauty? Zaire……” Dax smiled. “Sexy name, hottest thing on two legs that I’ve seen in a very long time. It doesn’t get any better than that. Oh I’m in love.”

Dax sighed. “How come I’ve never met her before?“She and Erin usually take their annual girl’s trip on the road, but this year they decided to hang out in Atlanta.” Mason continued, stopping to talk to the staff ensuring that all of the arrangements for the party were to his liking. “Is she dating anyone?” Dax questioned, smiling at the possibility of wooing the charming doctor.

“Leave her alone, Dax, I’m serious. Zhay isn’t the kind of girl you hunt for sport; she is loving and caring and she only deserves in-kind; she is long-term, only you, wife material.” Mason warned.”I mean it. I’ve come to love her as a sister and I will protect her honor just like I would Erin. Even from you.”

“Now I really am insulted.” Dax stopped walking to look at his friend to see if he was serious. Mason wasn’t smiling he meant every word. “I swear to you, my intentions are honorable; I just want to get to know her. That’s all.” Dax threw his hands up in mock surrender.“Well you’ll get no help from me.” Mason stopped to hold Dax’s stare, “If you want to get to know Zhay, you do it on your own; and you damn well better be sincere. However, as your friend I won’t mar your um…good intentions. But if you do anything to hurt her, I will take it personally.” Mason cautioned, walking off without waiting for a reply from Dax.

Hearing Chloe’s continued laughter shook Zhay from reminiscing on that day.  

“Come on he’ll forever be the cowboy, who could forget, meeting him at Mason’s Memorial Day BBQ; he was wearing that silly cowboy hat and frontier coat with those snake skin boots. Oh and how could I forget those tight ass Wrangler jeans that he had on, who knew that they still made them?” Chloe could barely get out through her fits of laughter. “He looked like Kenny Rodgers from the Gambler.”

Zhay threw a discarded dress at her sister but Zhay couldn’t help it, she started laughing too, “It was a ‘How the West was Won’ themed party, and if I recall correctly, we both were similarly dressed. You’re just mad because Dax’s lizard skin boots were hotter than yours; besides his butt was starring in those jeans.”

“Perhaps….” Chloe demurred, but continued laughing at the image of Dax in his cowboy get up. “I must admit, though he looked and acted like a cowboy, I mean staking his claim on you and all; he turned out to be a walking contradiction. He was all heart. Not to mention that he only knew you for a few hours and bought you a freaking Andalusian. I mean who does that? Buy a girl he barely knows a horse….?”

Zhay smiled, “Dax, that’s who. He’s was such a flirt and show off bidding on that horse because he knew I fell in love with her. Besides he was just trying to impress me, luckily for him I was somewhat interested. Though when he gifted me Amira it didn’t hurt his chances, to ah…..get to know me better. Zhay smiled. Oh and for the record, his outfit was 10 times better than Mason’s get up.”  Both sisters broke out in a fit of laughter remembering Mason’s rodeo cowboy garb.

“I’m glad that you two are going to talk and try to work things out. I miss you both.” Chloe got up and walked over to where Zhay stood in front of her mirror and gave her big sister a hug.  It had been a while since Zhay had a reason to smile and Chloe was genuinely happy for her. A perfect photo opportunity she thought as they looked at their reflection in the mirror.

“Gosh we’re some pretty people.” Chloe dead panned and they both broke out into another round of giggles. Zhay tried on another dress and Chloe cranked up the music. “What about this one?” Zhay asked twirling around so that her sister could see the black jersey tube dress from all angles.

“Does it say, I miss you lover please come home or take me in the parking lot right now?” Zhay asked looking for some accessories to match.

 Chloe quirked an eyebrow at her, “Do you want him to take you in the parking lot?” she smiled at her sister and picked through the remaining clothes on the bed. Zhay blushed but didn’t answer. “Hmmm, you need a dress that screams, hot & sexy sophisticated wife; but I can still be a little skank on the sly.” Chloe advised.

“A skank on the sly?” Zhay laughed. “Yes!” Chloe insisted. “If it were me, the dress that I’d be wearing would scream a whole lotta skank…no scratch that; a whole lotta slutty and just enough wifey; show Dax what he’s been missing all these months.”

“But I’ve lost so much weight; my sexy is definitely not back yet.”  Zhay chided, looking at her almost nonexistent butt.

“True…” Chloe teased, “But you can borrow some of mine; we’re about the same size now; if you exclude those melons that you haul around. Here try this on.” Chloe teased pointing to Zhay’s chest, “You didn’t lose any weight there.”

Zhay punched Chloe on the arm for her comment but took the hot pink Claudia Pegus halter styled wrap dress with the deep v in the front and admired it; looking at the color against her skin, it was perfect. It was exactly what she wanted, sexy, flirty but still sophisticated. “This is perfect! But what about my um… little bit of slutty?”

Chloe laughed and fished a pair of Ana Locking python strappy stilettos and the matching clutch out of her arsenal and handed them to Zhay. “Now try them on, so we can figure out what to do with your hair.”

The sisters continued dressing Zhay for her date, oblivious to the chaos that was unraveling just miles away.

****************************************************************

4:42 pm

“Mason, this is the statement that PR has prepared for the new conference.” Jenna handed her boss the file and then scurried away.

Mason made a mental note to apologize to Jenna as well as his entire staff. He was slowly succumbing to the pressure and had been lashing out to more than one person on staff today.  He tried to calm his thoughts and read over the press statement but his thoughts would return to Dax. Mason was grateful that Barron had stepped in and essentially took over the rescue efforts.

Barron, Dax and Harper were in China a few years ago during that country’s deadly earthquake. Due to the nature of their business they were asked to survey damage and offer possible clean up solutions. Drawing on that past experience, Barron outlined a concise plan aimed at rescue and recovery while removing debris that would help stabilize the site.

5:13 pm

“We assure you, that our efforts are still focused on the rescue of our construction crew.” Mason responded as he answered yet another question from the reporters at the press conference.

“Mr. Grey, how many men are still unaccounted for?”

“We have accounted for all of our crew, but if you are asking how many men are still trapped, then that number is 13.”

“And after approximately 6 hours you are still holding out hope that the men are still alive?”

“Without speculating too much, we think that due to the way in which the towers collapsed the men may be trapped inside with air pockets.”

“So you have determined that this was a collapse and not a blast or an explosion.”

“Again, I am not going to comment on what caused this incident until we are confident with the findings of the investigation. Thank you everyone.”

Mason left the press conference amid the flash of cameras and still questioning reporters.  He was relieved to learn that Barron and the others had made great progress while he was being grilled by the press like a slab of ribs. He was actually feeling hopeful; he didn’t want to admit it but initially he had actually begun to fear the worst.

5:47 pm

Harper and Mason left the trailer to give Barron some privacy to call Alise. Barron knew that she was beyond fearful, that they would face the unavoidable; the critical injury of their son or worst, his death. He sat for a few minutes thinking through all that had happen during the day and was too overcome with emotion to hold it in any longer. He cried tears of joy, sorrow and fears for the unknown. He spent the past few hours seemingly on auto pilot because he knew that he needed to maintain a clear head to help rescue Dax and the others.

“Sir,” Harper quietly interrupted his thoughts, “The EMTs are prepping him for transport, and they want to know if you’ll ride with them to the hospital.

“Yes, of course.” Was the whispered response from the ever unassailable, Barron Daxton.

“I’ll let them know and will meet you there; I’ll call Rosie as well, she was anxious about his condition.” Harper advised.

“I’ll call her; I……..I need her…um… to work on a press release before it gets leaked to the media.” Barron supposed, still holding his cell phone in hand.

“Of course.” Harper agreed and left Barron to compose himself and make his calls.

*******************************************************

6:21 pm

 “What are you thinking about?” Chloe asked noticing that Zhay zoned out for few minutes as she added a few more curls to her hair.

Zhay gazed at her reflection in the mirror and thought about what she wanted from this meeting with Dax.  “I was just thinking that in a few minutes, Dax and I will finally sit down and talk about us; finally decide if their can still be an us. I’m so scared, I miss him so much.” Zhay confessed practically on the verge of tears yet again.

“Oh Sunny, I know. I know how hard this past year has been on both of you. But I firmly believe that Dax still loves you.” Chloe assured reaching in to give her sister yet another hug; she couldn’t imagine the anxiety that she was feeling after not seeing her husband in months.

“Oh Chloe, I still love him; after everything that we’ve been through this last year, my heart still beats for him.” Zhay confessed with a sad laugh, “Lame I know especially after the way he has treated me.”

“No, not lame; honest and endearing.” Chloe assured, fluffing her hair and putting the finishing touches on Zhay’s make-up.

Zhay smiled at Chloe. She had been such a big help in her recovery. She practically put her modeling career on hold, opting only to take jobs that kept her away from Atlanta for a few days; so she was in place to drive Zhay to her doctor’s appointments and providing her with company in their big, lonely house.

She checked her reflection in the mirror and couldn’t believe the transformation, she looked gorgeous. “Wow Chloe, you do fabulous work. I am all layers of hotness.” Zhay admitted with little modesty.

“Damn right you are, the cowboy is going to swallow his tongue when he sees you tonight.”

Zhay stood up from her vanity and walked over to her full length mirror, “So, um you’re sure that this outfit is ok right. I mean I look sexy but not slutty right? The dress is enough but not too much? Chloe laughed, but assured Zhay that she did in fact look amazing.

“OK you, you need to get going; you know traffic sucks right about now and you don’t want to be late.”  Atlanta traffic was an institution. It just might be the only place where rush hour traffic lasted well into the night.

Zhay checked her watch, gathered her clutch and wrap and headed downstairs, “Oh can you…” before she could finish, Chloe had already grabbed the leash to take Toodles, her beloved Pomeranian out for her nightly walk. “Thanks babes, I owe you one.”

“No problem. Um, Zhay, are you ok to drive? I know that it has been a while since you’ve driven at night? Chloe asked, walking Zhay to her car. “Yes, I’m fine. Thanks for everything. I’ll call you if I need anything. I promise. Wish me luck.”

With that Zhay got into her car, zipped down the drive way and out of the estate; both excited and nervous about having dinner with Ethan.

End Notes:
Tell me what you think. Please forgive typos, errors, long windedness...etc ;-0
Chapter 8- I am still his wife by kellyklue
Author's Notes:
Please enjoy and tell me what you think!!!
 

6:55 pm

Zhay arrived at Cubana with a few minutes to spare. She checked her face one last time before stepping out of her car and taking her parking ticket from the valet. She took in a deep breathe and exhaled slowly. She silently prayed that this dinner was the catalyst that she and Dax needed to get their lives back on track.

They loved coming here for dinner. The food was excellent and the owners were just like family. As she entered the restaurant, Emilio the owner immediately greeted her, "Ah, Senora Daxton, Como estas? Bien, no?" he asked kissing her hand. "It has been much too long since we've seen you and Senor Dax. I told him so, when he called to reserve your booth earlier."

"He has been working so much lately, I am just happy that he was able to find time to take me to dinner." Zhay responded not wanting to elaborate on their separation.

Emilio smiled wickedly, "I see...or could it be that he merely realizes that he is no match for me." he gleamed, stroking her cheek. "Senor Dax knows that, I would easily win your affections if he ever agreed to my duel for your hand." He teased, inviting Zhay into his embrace as they swayed to the light Samba that played in the background. Emilio was such a charmer, a real handful for his wife. He was a throwback from the Hollywood glam era including, requisite dress and impeccable grooming. His dark eyes and hair, slim physique and charisma hardly revealed his age; only his stories of growing up on the streets of Havana gave that away.

"You told Dax that you would challenge him for my hand?" Zhay laughed, Emilio loved flirting with his patrons.

"Si. So that we could finally run away together?" he smiled with a wink. "Moonlight walks on the white beaches of Havana, sunrises at dawn and sunsets at dusk; heavenly, si?"

"Emilio, we both know that Pilar will shoot us both, before we even made it to the door." Zhay cautioned, reminding Emilio that he was very married.

"A man can dream, no? And enjoy the company of a beautiful woman?" he asked twirling Zhay around so that he could admire her beauty from all angles.

Zhay laughed and was slowly becoming less anxious. The pair chatted and danced until the music changed to a more up tempo beat "Senor Dax is late it seems, he never keeps you waiting. Would you prefer to be seated or would you like a cocktail at the bar?"

"I'll wait at the bar, for now. Thank you Emilio." Zhay pecked him on the cheek before being escorted to the bar area. He caught her up on his family, their most recent trip to Havana and all the great new improvements to both the restaurant and menu items.

7:15 pm

After ordering a glass of white peach sangria, Zhay began the waiting game.  Where is he? She silently screamed, maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Calm down she reasoned with herself, he's only a few minutes late. Zhay checked her phone for missed calls, there weren't any. Dax was usually punctual and with each passing minute that he wasn't there, she was becoming more anxious. So lost in her thoughts, she never heard or saw the news item that most of the bar patrons had be talking about, she was completely oblivious that there had been a building collapse in Midtown.

7:40 pm

Zhay tipped the valet and shrugged out of her wrap. Turning up the radio she hoped that the music would drown out the sound of her cries. He never even called to cancel. "Stupid, stupid, stupid, how could I have been so stupid?" was her cry. She could not allow her self to travel down that road again, disappointment. She took in a few quick breaths and composed herself enough to make the journey home. She knew too well the risks of driving while distracted or upset.

7:45 pm

The buzz from her ear piece both alarmed and a relieved Zhay. She thought about what she would say to him, what her response should be to Dax's lame attempt at an apology. She eased off the road and into the nearest parking lot and looked at her phone as he ear piece buzzed again. Strange, she thought as she looked at the caller name.

"Hello Claire, this is a surprise." Zhay had not spoken to Dax's sister Claire since he moved out of their home. Claire didn't respond, but Zhay could clearly hear her sniffles.

"Claire...Claire can you hear me?"

"Zhay..." Claire finally managed to get out. "It's so bad, Zhay...please you need to get here."

"Claire, what's wrong...where are you?" Zhay asked becoming alarmed at Claire's quivering tone.

 "Where do I need to go? Are you hurt honey?" Claire was known to visit some unsavory places and befriend the shiftiest characters, all in an effort to have a good time or to party. Dax and Zhay had come to her rescue on more than one occasion. Hearing her cries now, Zhay was positive that she was in trouble yet again.

"Dax, Dax...he's..." Claire's mention of Dax immediately put Zhay on alarm. "He was hurt in the Midtown Towers collapse, he's in Mercy Hospital we're in the ER now but the doctors want to move him to the ICU."

"What?" Zhay screamed in disbelief.

"He's critical and they don't think...it doesn't look good...please just get here."

"I'm on my way...." Zhay hung up and leaned her head into the head rest; gripping her steering wheel, she let loose a murderous scream. Shit...shit...shit. This was not happening; not today. Dax in a building collapse...critical. She was a doctor, she knew what that meant. Their life together couldn't end like this. The tears were there ready to fall but she quickly reminded herself that she had to stay calm, Dax needed her strength now. She reached for her phone to call in reinforcements, Chloe. The phone rang twice before she picked up.

"You're calling to tell me that you and cowboy are hoping a flight to Tahiti, so you two can roam around the beaches naked building sandcastles?" was Chloe's teasing greeting. "If I know Dax, he probably wants skip the beach and just get to the naked part. Make him sweat a little before....."

"Sunny..." the forlorn tone in Zhay's voice wasn't what she expected.

"What's wrong?"

"Dax was hurt in a building accident in midtown and..."

"Oh my gosh...the Renaissance Towers...where is he...? Chloe asked grabbing her keys.

"Mercy Hospital, I'm on my way there now."

"Ok, I'm right behind you, hey...are you ok to drive? Where are you? Pull over and I'll come and get you." Chloe offered.

"Thank you, but I'm only 15 minutes away."

"Positive thoughts, Sunny. Send Dax positive thoughts and energy until he knows that you're there with him." Chloe replied choking back tears, she knew that Zhay was already feeling some anxiety about dinner and would be further devastated if anything happened to Dax.

The sisters said their goodbyes and both prayed that Dax was not in any serious danger.

*************************************************************************************

8:01 pm

Zhay pulled into the hospital's parking lot but sat in the car trying to gather her thoughts and still her shaking hands. She had no idea what waited for her inside she mentally prepared herself as best she could. "You can do this...Dax needs you now, it's your turn to be there for him; No matter how bad the situation is you can do this for him." Zhay repeated a few times before stepping into the unknown.

*************************************************************************************

8:09 pm

Zhay stepped off the elevator and was immediately overwhelmed the flurry of activity in the ER. Before she could flag down one of the ER nurses to find out where they were treating Dax, Dr. Lawson waved her over to let her know that she should head up to the ICU. That wasn't a good sign.

*************************************************************************************

8:12pm

The ICU was in even greater chaos than the ER. Rosie spotted her and immediately came over to bring her up to speed on everything she knew so far. Zhay sat in stunned silence as Rosie relayed the events of the day. Before she could ask any questions, Barron and Alise entered the waiting area with the hospital's chief of surgery, Dr. Meyers.

"Dr. Meyers, we trust that Ethan is in capable hands, and we don't mean to insult you or your staff; but we want Ethan to receive the best care possible. I know that he is critical but once he is stable, how soon can we move him to Northern Glenn?" Barron asked the doctor, hoping to be told what he wanted to hear while trying to comfort a sniffling Alise.

"Mr. & Mrs. Daxton, I have to be honest with you, Ethan has sustained some very serious injuries. In fact if I may be candid." He asked, and both stilled at his earnest tone, "Ethan's situation is more than critical, it's minute by minute. I don't mean to sound uncaring but I don't want you to be blindsided either; my team would consider it a win if he makes it through the night. Moving him at any point now is not a good idea. But you are well with in your rights as his next of kin, to decide on his care."

Alise whimpered at hearing the doctor's honest assessment. Barron began anther barrage of when questions when his words were cut off.

"Ethan stays here." Zhay interrupted, startling both Dr. Meyers and the Daxtons. "I want him here, Mercy has one of the best trauma teams in the south, moving him to Northern Glenn at any point in his care would certainly guarantee his death."

"I'm sorry, but who are you?" inquired Dr. Meyers with a raise eyebrow.

"Zhay, we planned on calling you once we had more information." a whimpering Alise whispered; knowing that in all fairness excluding Zhay in any decisions concerning Dax was wrong. 

"Dr. Zaire Daniels, Ethan's wife." Was Zhay's shaky response to the doctor.

"My apologies, Dr. Daniels, I...I didn't realize that Ethan was married." The red-faced doctor offered, looking from Zhay to the Daxtons, who too looked equally embarrassed too.

"Ethan stays here for his care, I've contacted Dr. Charlton West, chief of neurology at Emory, for a consult; he should be here at any minute. If you don't mind, I'd like to be updated on my husband's condition." Zhay directed to Dr. Meyers.

"Of course." The doctor gestured towards the nurse's station so that they could speak privately.

As Zhay was walking off, Barron touched her arm, "Zhay, honey, despite what you may be thinking, excluding you wasn't intentional; it's just...everything happened so quickly and well, we wanted him to..."

Zhay looked at Barron and nodded her understanding. Dax was everything to him and she was sure that all that he did today was in an effort to save Dax's life.

"Barron, Alise, thank you for shielding me from this, until you thought I was ready but you need to respect my position; until Ethan says otherwise, I am still his wife and I make any and all of his medical decisions." Zhay managed to get out; sounding braver than she felt.

"We only want what's best for Ethan." Alise assured her.

"Well let me speak with Dr. Meyers, so we can figure out what that is." Zhay returned, walking off and leaving the Daxton's to their worry.

Dr. Meyers apologized again for his oversight and walked Zhay through all of the procedures Dax had undergone so far and what they hoped to accomplish. She in turn got on the phone and contacted every trauma specialist she knew; the trauma team needed help to not only save Dax's life but the other victims as well. Dr. Meyers nearly fainted, when Dr. Charlton West, Adam's father breezed into the ICU and sought her out. Team West was the stuff that legends were made of. An intelligent and talented neurosurgeon father; who was often overshadowed by his equally gifted son. Both were highly sought after for their expertise.  After brief introductions, Dr. Meyers escorted Zhay and Dr. West to the OR, where Dax was undergoing surgery to help relieve the swelling on his brain.

Zhay stood on shaky legs as she watched the goings on in the OR; her heart beat increased each time she noticed a decrease in Dax's stats on the monitor. He had to be ok. When Dr. West was invited to scrub in and assist, that gave Zhay more comfort than she could hope for; she knew that Charlton would do everything he could to save him. But Zhay also knew that they longer they stayed in the OR didn't bode well for Dax's chances of survival.

*************************************************************************************

9:33 pm

Adam knew that Zhay's recovery was going well and hated that he wasn't able the one there to nurse her through her depression. He had just agreed to head relief efforts for the World Health Organization when Zhay became ill; and it seemed that there was always something happening in the world that needed his attention. 

Besides his father, Zhay and Chloe were the only real family that he had. He laughed when thought back to the day he first met Zhay and Chloe, after moving from California to North Carolina. Their fathers were the top two doctors at the University Medical Center. Dr. Daniels was the chief of staff and Dr. Shaw was the chief of neurosurgery. Since the children would be attending the same school, St. Francis Prepatory, the dads thought it a good idea for them to meet, so the girls could show Adam the ropes. Adam had always been a shy and quiet child, somewhat of a loner due to the death of his mother early in his childhood and his prodigy; but the Daniels sisters let him know as soon as they met, that he would have to leave his awkwardness in California. Besides his profound medical astuteness, they taught him everything else he knew. No one believed him when he told them that two girls taught him how to play golf and shoot baskets or how to dress and court girls for that matter.

When he first got Chloe's call he debated whether he should wait for an update on Dax's condition before leaving Miami; but once he heard the distress in Zhay's voice, he knew that he needed to be there. He loved them and there wasn't anything he wouldn't do for Zhay or Chloe. That was how he found himself now sitting on one the last flights headed home to Atlanta.

*************************************************************************************

9:45pm

Dr. West brought Zhay and the Daxtons up to speed post-surgery and made them aware of his concerns. He agreed with Zhay that moving Dax at any point would be to his detriment. Though Dax's vital signs were better, Charlton wanted to run a few more tests but was waiting to consult with the other Dr. West before doing do.  Adam was en route and the other doctors that Zhay called in were all there waiting his instruction. A handpicked medical team was an unusual request for the hospital to grant, but once they learned who the doctors were and the notoriety it could bring to the hospital, the administrators quickly jumped on board. But not everyone was pleased that Zhay had autonomy over Dax's care.

"Why are we sitting here pretending like we are ok with this, huh?" Claire roared, her chocolate tress swinging wildly; her ire directed to her parents, "You both know that she is to blame for everything that Dax has been going through."

"Claire...."Barron warned from clenched teeth. "Now... is not the time for this. Dax is fighting for his life; he wouldn't appreciate this spectacle."

"Why are we sugar coating the shit, huh?" Claire raged. If it wasn't apparent before it was crystal clear to everyone now, she was either drunk or high or a combination of both. Whether the Daxton's wanted to acknowledge her drug use or not, the evidence was now on public display. Her glassy azure eyes, slight slurring of speech, erratic behavior and mood swings, the constant disappearing and reappearing, were telltale signs, "Dax is here, because of you dammit." She threw at Zhay.

Zhay knew that she should have ignored her, but that was easier said than done.

"I caused a building to collapse on him? Really and how did I manage to pull of that feat?" Zhay tossed back, now standing to go toe to toe with Claire. She knew that she shouldn't engage her in that state but she was sick and tired of Claire's verbal attacks.

"Oh, don't be fucking coy. He's been walking around in a fog for months, because of you; if he was the Dax we all know before you destroyed him, he would not have been caught in that chaos. We all know that Dax has not been the same since that night, Dad found him."

"Claire....shut it." Alise bellowed surprising everyone in the waiting area. She was now facing Claire silently warning of the repercussions of this outburst.

"No mom!!! I will not shut it. You won't tell her, because your precious Ethan told you not to; but he never asked me not to." Claire taunted.

"Tell me what...what happened to Ethan?" Zhay asked confused, looking between Barron and Alise.

"That's it, enough Claire. Harper please make sure that she gets home ok." Barron thundered, grabbing Claire's arm ushering her towards the ICU exit. Harper stood unsure whether to act or speak.

"What happened? You want to know what happened. Dax tried to kill himself that's what happened." Claire sneered, shaking out of Barron's grip. "It wasn't enough that you took away everything that he loved, but your poisonous kind of love nearly took his life too."

In that instant, everything went still and Zhay faltered taking in Claire's words. Ethan tried to kill himself because of her, was that the reason why he had been avoiding her all these months and why Alise and Barron had been so cold towards her of late? She was at a loss for words. If it was Claire's intent to hurt her, she did more than just that. She'd cut Zhay to her core with that revelation.  She surveyed the faces of everyone in the waiting room and took in the looks of surprise, distress and sadness. Alise didn't look at her and Barron was still glaring at Claire. Deciding that she needed a moment alone, she got up, "Excuse me...." Zhay uttered quietly while heading out the door.

"Zhay...Zhay...." Alise called to her retreating back, Zhay ignored her calls but Rosie was already hot on her heels.

************************************************************************************

10:26 pm

Zhay sat outside on the patio just off of the cafeteria. It was the closest outside area she could find without leaving the hospital entirely and that wasn't an option. Could things get any worse? Zhay pondered quietly. Dax tried to kill himself but lives, only to face this.

"Is it true Rosie?" Zhay sniffled. "Is that why he never called or came home?"

"Honey, don't think about that now. Dax needs you focused and directing that team upstairs on his care."

 "I love him so much Rosie, I don't know what I'll do if he... Did he really try to kill himself, because of me?"  

Rosie hugged Zhay as she cried, "He never stopped loving you, believe that. Dax was so excited about having dinner with you tonight. He misses you, he needs you." She knew that she had to handle Zhay's question delicately, one wrong word could send her over the edge. "Honestly, Dax says that he only remembers getting drunk and taking pain killers for a headache; then later waking up in the hospital."

Zhay didn't want to believe that Dax would intentionally hurt himself. Still she searched her mind to recall all the times that she had seen him over the past year, to determine if she noticed any signs of suicide. But they were so few. She knew that he was probably suffering from depression too, but she never glimpsed that kind of recklessness, in his eyes. What kind of freakin' doctor am I if I can't help save the ones I love, she thought. "You know him better than anyone, do you believe him?"

"I believe that Dax has a lot on his mind and that he has not properly dealt with his pain. Do I think he needs professional help? Yes I do and he knows this."

Rosie and Zhay continued talking until Chloe called to let her know that Adam was headed upstairs.

"Every time we are in this place... I swear...Could we please just have one happy day?" Zhay begged the night sky.

"You will Zhay; you and Dax will have many happy days. Rosie assured her as they headed back inside and upstairs to the ICU to meet with Adam. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:
Thanks you for reading and commenting. Please forgive all typos and errors.
Chapter 9 - I have nothing left to give by kellyklue
Author's Notes:
DBL post enjoy!!!
 

Zhay sat and watched as the ICU personnel shuffled back and forth attending to the other tower victims. She began to feel some anxiety about being at this hospital. This was the last place she wanted to be, it was the site where her almost perfect life vanished. The last time that she was here, she lost him, she lost them...she lost her family. She willed herself not to cry but it was futile; as if reading her mind, Rosie reached for her hand and Chloe offered encouraging words. However, the memories of that day came flooding back to her like a flash food and she succumbed to the grief and sadness all over again.

Flashback one year prior

 "No Love I don't like it," Dax warned Zhay, "You have been working too much lately and after the scare we had a few weeks ago...no it's too risky."

Trying to get dressed while convincing Zhay that she still need time to de-stress, was a bad move on Dax's part, he couldn't find anything that matched, he thought as he tossed yet another shirt and tie on his valet. They had been arguing the point of Zhay going back to both the ER and the clinic to see patients for the past 30 minutes. However, to Dax it felt like hours.

"Dax, the doctor said that I am fine, all I needed was some bed rest and cut back on my work schedule. I've done that," she moved to kiss him but sense that he was still agitated. "If I feel the least bit fatigue, I will call it a day." She promised hoping that it would calm his fears.

"Zhay....please I don't want to argue about this anymore. It's Friday. Let me go into the office tie up some loose ends, so that we can enjoy a nice long weekend at the beach house on Tybee Island?" Dax offered, taking off another dress shirt and walking back into the closet.

"That sounds wonderful, I just need to check on a few patients at the hospital and will be ready to leave after lunch." Zhay bargained, hoping that this would end the argument.

"Damnit woman! Why are you so stubborn, why are you so hell bent on fighting me on this. No patients, not today; they can wait until you are 100 percent." Dax roared.

"Why are you treating me like a child? Zhay countered.

 "A husband showing concerned for his pregnant wife's well being, who I might add, passed out at work from exhaustion and elevate stress levels." Dax recalled, "Is that what you think that I am doing treating you like a child?"

Zhay cringed at that, she knew that Dax was terrified when he received the call from the emergency room staff; that week had been a highly stressed one. As a pediatrician occasionally assigned to the ER, she worked several challenging cases that had left her both physically and emotionally taxed.

"Dax I'm fine. I'll just go in for a few hours while you're in the office and meet you back here at noon?" Zhay knew that Dax way beyond annoyed, he had changed his clothes yet again, this time emerging from his closet in a green polo shirt and khakis. He rarely wore casual clothes to the office, so this was a clear indication.

Dax did not respond to her question, he continued dressing and tried to calm down. He kept asking himself was he being unreasonable, but he didn't think so. Zhay was about 6 ½ months and her pregnancy so far had not been an easy one. Her morning sickness seemed to last all day; she was constantly tired. Famished one minute and not hungry the next. The scare they had sealed the deal for him; he wanted her home, off her feet and resting. Though his office was only 20 minutes away from the hospital it was the longest drive of his life. He sent silent prayers to a god he hardly ever spoke to any more, in hopes that both his wife and unborn son were not in harm's way. Once the doctors learned that her collapse was a result of high stress levels and fatigue, they warned Zhay to alter her work schedule and get some rest; or they would put her on bed rest for the duration of her pregnancy. Dax silently wished that they would simply put her on best rest. He wanted her home, resting and relaxed awaiting the birth of their child. Why couldn't she understand that?

"Zhay, I am very concerned about you and the baby; Dr. Lewis warned us of the risks and for whatever reason you are still choosing to snub them.  If something happened to you or the baby ...Your patients can spare you for one day Dr. Daniels." Dax pleaded.

"Wow...my patients can spare me, but your clients have you on speed dial; they call you whenever they feel like it and you go running. My job is just as important as yours Dax." Moving closer to him, "I promise I won't be long. Besides I feel fine." Zhay soothed rubbing her belly, trying to diffuse the situation.

Dax looked down into her eyes and saw the fight in them, she was going to the hospital whether he wanted her to or not. "My clients.....come on Love, that's not the same and you know it."

"Well tough cookies. I'm going, my patients need me." Zhay stated firmly with arms crossed and fire in her eyes.

"And what about your family, huh, we don't need you?" Dax asked hoping that his pleas for her to stay home would be considered.

"Dax you are going into the office, Nora is here; I'll be back before noon, packed and ready to go." She was trying to comfort him but Dax was still rigid, "If I feel a yawn coming on I will leave, I promise." Zhay assured, kissing her husband and holding him as close as she could.

"You just don't get it do you Zhay? Your collapse put both you and the baby in danger; I'm sorry, but for me, your patients are not worth both of your lives." Dax stated bluntly, "But you'll do whatever you want to, right? With little regard for your health or the baby's; all in an effort to save someone else's life right?" He knew that his comments were mean spirited but hell, in his mind his wife and child were more important that her patients, who could be cared for by other doctors.

"Dax that's not fair and you know it; of course I care about our baby's health." Zhay said tearing up. Is that what he thought, that she did care about her health or the baby's? Zhay knew that Dax was being overly cautious and she couldn't really blame him. Truth be told she too had been scared by her collapse.

Dax was done talking; there was no reasoning with Zhay right now. He couldn't make her see or feel how scared he was. Had the doctors put her on bed rest for the duration of the pregnancy, he had already planned to work from home; just to make sure that both she and their son Austin were well taken care of.

"I'll see you later," Dax walked over to Zhay and kissed her, never making eye contact with her.

She had never seen him this tense before, he really was scared. His kiss was tentative and without feeling. His eyes were distant and icy. He had been a real trooper these past few days, making sure that she was comfortable and relaxing. Zhay knew that what he was saying made sense but it was just her nature to want to make sure that her patients were getting the best care possible.  They could spare her for one day, right?

"I won't go Ethan; I'll get us ready for our weekend away." She acquiesced to Dax's retreating back."You're right, one day isn't too much." He stopped moving and she immediately went to him. Resting her head on his back, she wrapped her arms around him, assuring him that she was ok and silently thanking him for his concern.

"In a month or so I won't be able to wrap my arms around you like this."  She teased. "Or wrap my legs around you either for that matter." They both laughed.

He turned around to face her, "Love, you are everything to me, if something happened to you....." Dax didn't get the chance to finish. He was silenced by her kisses. Forehead to forehead, lips to lips all of their assurances were made to each other in that moment and only then did she feel the tension start to leave his body.

"Nothing is going to happen to us. I'm fine, we both are." she took his hands, kissed the inside of his palms and place them on her stomach.  "I promise. We'll be ready to go when you get back. I. Love. You." Zhay promised and kissed him again.

"And I love you, Dr. Daniels." Dax gave her one last kiss before heading out of their bedroom. "Noon" he said walking down the stairs.

"We'll be ready." Zhay shouted from their bedroom door.

********************************************************************

Listen Stefan, I can't consult on that today. I am on my way out of town."  Zhay said reaching for another pair of capris, besides her scrubs, they were the only thing that she felt comfortable in lately. She moved back and forth between the Glamoire, the nickname Chloe christened her dream closet with, and her sitting room where her weekend bag was sitting. She promised Dax that she would be packed and ready to go and she was just about done.

"Come on Dr. Daniels, you are a whiz at infectious diseases and I think that we may have a serious case of meningitis on our hands; the patient is an 8 year old girl who has been in relatively good health until a few days ago. The signs are there but this is your area of expertise." Dr. Knight coaxed.

"Call Marci for a consult, she is just as capable." Zhay offered reaching for tank tops, her floppy sun hat, and swimsuit cover up that probably couldn't fit her right now.

"While Dr. Caste is quite good at what she does, she is the ER pediatrician; you know broken legs, pennies in noses, arms in casts, yada yada yada. Zhay, everyone knows that you are the expert when it comes to childhood diseases. 1 hour, I promise, and you can be on your way." Stefan begged.

Zhay looked at her watch and debated whether she could spare one hour to head over to the Children's ER at Mercy Hospital.  She knew that she wouldn't be able to forgive herself if the child died, because she wasn't properly diagnosed. However, Dax was going to be pissed, not because she wasn't ready to go by the time he got back home, but that she went to the hospital anyway.

He'll understand that this is an emergency; she thought with very little confidence but decided to go in anyway. "Ok ok...I'll be there in 20 minutes, but I can only spare an hour. I mean it Stefan."  Zhay warned.

******************************************************************

Dax rushed into the hospital not knowing what he faced. A thousand thoughts ran through his mind.  Fuck, he hated the smell of this place; it smelled life despair, grief, and sadness he thought. Zhay is ok, he kept telling himself.  What kind of accident could she have had at home? He prayed that it wasn't something serious. He feared that she might have become dizzy again on the stairs. He found her sitting there one evening because she got so faint. That's it, Dax thought, they'll move downstairs into one of the guest suites, so she won't have to trek up and down the stairs. He hoped that Zhay didn't take a tumble on the stairs. The baby, what about the baby? Please let them be ok Dax pleaded.

When he got the emergency call that there was an accident at home and they had been rushed to Mercy Hospital, Dax actually felt his heart stop beating. His hand started shaking and he was rendered mute. It wasn't until the voice on the other end of the phone kept asking if he was still there, did he realize that what he had just been told was not a sequence in a bad dream. He hung up the phone and blazed a trail out of his office and mumbled something to Rosie, he couldn't remember what.

Thank god for Rosie, she grabbed his phone out his hand and began calling Chloe and his parents. She insisted on driving to the hospital and kept reassuring him that everything was going to be fine. 

****************************************************************

"Stefan, please, please you have to save her?" Zhay cried hysterically, "Get Marci and Lucas have him prep the OR for her, please."

"Zhay, we are going to do everything we can to save her believe that, but you have to calm down. We don't want you going into early labor." Stefan reasoned, trying to get a shaking Zhay to sit down in the plastic chair in the back of Emergency Room #4. Zhay had doubled over twice already clutching her stomach and the ER team was worried that she was already showing signs of pre-labor.

"Cassie, please get her some water and watch her." The nurse nodded her head in the affirmative and tried to calm Zhay down. "Dr. Daniels they will do everything the can to save her; you have to believe that, but please you have to calm down, for the baby."  Cassie reminded her. "Oh god, Cassie, oh god, there‘s so much blood." Zhay sobbed and felt her stomach doing summersaults, she began hyperventilating, and Cassie with the aide of another ER nurse immediately went to work trying to calm Zhay down.

Just as Zhay's breathing began returning to normal, the ER door opened. Dr. Caste ushered in Dax and Rosie. Dax wasn't prepared for what greeted him in that room; both he and Rosie were shocked by the amount of emergency staff that filed in and around the tiny patient, barking orders; the amount of blood and the constant beeping of machines were overwhelming.  What surprised both of them further was the sight of Zhay sitting in the back of the room. She had a bandage on her forehead but from the looks of it was otherwise ok. What type of accident did they have at home that, left Zhay virtually unharmed but Lele fighting for her life? Dax wondered.

Before he could dwell on that thought, their eyes met and Zhay moved with swiftness to get to him. "Ethan, oh god it's all my fault, it's all my fault...." Zhay cried as she ran over to Dax and launched herself into his arms. He held on to her tight and could feel his heart beating hard in rapid succession. Dax was at a lost for words, as he peered over Zhay's head and watched the ER team frantically worked on their 2-year daughter. This was beyond bad "Love, what happened?" He finally croaked out, stroking Zhay's back in an attempt to calm her down. He was a bit unsure as to whether he wanted an answer from her, as he felt the tears building up, but pressed Zhay for an answer, "Zhay, honey, take a deep breath and tell me what happened."

Zhay looked up into Dax's eyes and saw the unshed tears glittering there; it broke her heart to know that they were in the ER watching their daughter fight for her life because of her stubbornness.

"I was, I..." Zhay wept as she tried to find the words to tell her husband that the one thing that he had asked her not to do today was the reason that they were in the dreary ER right now.

"I got a call from Dr. Knight for an emergency consult...I was packing and told him I couldn't consult today because we were headed to Tybee; but his patient was possibly facing a case of meningitis and you know I'd just published a paper on childhood diseases...." Zhay rambled on but was interrupted from her chattering, when Dr. Caste came over to update them on Lele's condition.

"Zhay, Dax  ..." Marci whispered with sadness in her tone, "I am going to be honest with you, Ledae has lost a tremendous amount of blood, we are trying to stem the flow, but so far we haven't been as successful as we'd like. We are trying to stabilize her long enough for surgery so that Lucas can go in and stop it." Marci looked at both Dax and Zhay and was trying to fight her own tears as well; she couldn't imagine what they were going through. "I know that is hard to hear, but her heartbeat is still very strong. Hang in there, ok. We'll do everything we can."  She moved in to give Zhay a reassuring hug and supportive words.

 "Honey, you need to sit down, you're shaking." Rosie suggested, guiding a crying Zhay back to the seat she'd abandoned.  Zhay nodded and slide into the chair.

"Ethan?" Rosie uttered softly as they both stood, "Do you have the name and number to Zhay's OB/GYN?"

Dax looked at Rosie a bit perplexed by her question, "Yes of course, Dr. Lewis is on Staff here, why?"

"I don't know if you noticed, but Zhay has been wincing and rubbing her stomach the entire time we've been here." Rosie quietly stated trying not to alarm an already frazzled Dax. "I think that Zhay needs to be checked out by her doctor."

Dax looked down at his wife, who was whimpering with her head propped up against the wall and her right hand lightly massaging her stomach. He then noticed the blood on her sundress and that her entire body was shaking. He gave Rosie his cell phone, "I'll call her and try to reach Barron and Alise again." Rosie said walking into the hallway to make the calls, leaving Dax to his attempts at calming Zhay.

Dax knelt in front of Zhay, "Love, are you all right?" Dax queried making sure that the stress of today's events weren't catching up with her; intertwining his fingers with hers, she continued rubbing her belly. "Do you need something, are you in any pain? Rosie left to call Dr. Lewis." He kissed her eyes and whispered sweet words in an attempt to calm her down.

Zhay stopped her movements and looked at her husband, really looked into his eyes. There was so much love and fear there, she could barely breathe. "I should have listened to you Ethan, I am so sorry. And now Lele..." Zhay cried harder and Dax felt his chest get tighter.

"I was on my way here for a quick consult." Zhay explained, but was quickly cut off by Dax. In his head, he needed to know what happened, but in his heart, he didn't want to know what happened. Based on everything that he saw so far and Zhay's condition he wasn't sure if he had enough in him to shoulder what they would have to face today. "Love, please just tell me if you are all right?" He knew that this added stressor could only harm their unborn son.

Zhay ignored his question but soldiered on with telling him about what lead to the heartbreaking events of the day.    "I was in the car when I realized that I left my hospital ID upstairs. I was on my way back out of the house when Lele woke up. She was being so fussy; I told Nora that I would hold her for a bit until she wasn't so cranky.  But when I noticed the time, I knew that I had to leave then if I was going to make it back home by noon."  Zhay continued shakily, "I handed Lele to Nora, but she started crying, I mean really crying, she was crying so hard, Dax; like I've never heard her before not even when she was a new born. She wanted to be with me... but I just ignored it; she wanted to stay with me, but I told her that I had to go help save another little girl and that I would be back soon. She just kept crying harder and harder, so I asked Nora to just take her so that I can leave." Zhay took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

Zhay felt Dax's eyes on her and his grip on her fingers tighten; she knew that he was now crying too. "The irony, huh.... I am running off to save a little girl's life while ignoring the cries of my own daughter." Zhay lamented with a sad laugh and more tears. Dax didn't say anything, he couldn't; his mouth suddenly went dry and he felt his heart slowly breaking.

"I told her that she could come outside to wave goodbye to mommy and that seemed to quiet her down a bit. They were standing under the portico and Nora was holding her hand." Zhay blubbered as Dax moved to sit in the chair next to her, with his arm around her he encourage her to continue. "I got into the car and started to pull off when my cell phone rang, I was digging in my purse for it when Lele broke out of Nora's grip..."

"Oh god...No...No...No..." Dax whimpered. He didn't need her to finish, he could piece together what happened thereafter.

"I pulled off and then I felt it, I heard it.....I knew I hit something.... Nora came running over and I rushed out of the car and...." Dax reached for her and held her tight, their chorus of cries adding to the drab appeal of the ER. Though lost in her sadness, Zhay knew that Dax was crying just as hard as she was, she could feel the shuddering from his body. Both sat there crying for a moment, while watching the urgent movements of the ER staff who work to save their daughter. "Ethan, Ledae is laying here fighting for her life, because of me. " Zhay cried repeatedly, "I'm so sorry, why didn't I listen to you?"

After a few moments of their silent tears, Dax pulled Zhay into him holding her even tighter and promised that they would get through this. "Don't think about that now, Zhay. She is going to pull through this." Dax assured wiping away her free falling tears, while trying to flow the stem of his own.

**************************************************************

"Ethan, Dr. Lewis needs your consent for the procedure." Rosie advised while rubbing Dax's back. She couldn't imagine what he was feeling. He had been sitting at Ladae's bedside holding her hand for the past hour.  She looked like a little sleeping angel. Peaceful and serene, youthful and loving. Her mass of sable curls were all but hidden by bandages, save for a few at that snuck out at the sides. Her golden bronze complexion barely marred by the poking and prodding that she had endured all morning. He sat silently begging her to open her amber eyes. He knew that she wouldn't but he wasn't ready to visit that place yet, acceptance.

"Rosie, I don't think that I can take much more.....This has been the worst day of my life, what did I do to deserve this....." Dax cried as he kissed his sleeping angel yet again. "Is this my punishment for all the pot I smoked in college? Wrecking mom's jaguar that summer? Is it because I quit going to Mass, huh? Going to Cancun for Christmas that year without telling anyone, what Rosie, tell me. I know what it was, the piss-beer that we gave the pledges the year that I was president of my fraternity....Why did this happen, why did this happen to us?" Dax screeched unable to find any comfort in Rosie's embrace.

"Oh honey, you didn't do anything, you didn't cause this. This is one of those times where we just don't have an answer." Rosie held him closer as his cries got louder.   "I know that this is hard, Ethan; probably the hardest thing that you'll ever have to face. But you have to dig deep and find some strength. Zhay and Austin need you right now. Zhay still hasn't regained consciousness."

Shortly after being told that the ER staff had done everything they could to save Ledae but it was to no avail, Zhay fainted and went into premature labor. Dax knew it was not a good sign that his wife was still unconscious and they had to act fast to save both her and the baby. Dr. Lewis had spent the past hour making sure that everything was in place to ensure that both mother and son would make it through early delivery ok.

Dax knew that Rosie was right but looking over at his daughter, he knew that he was near empty. Zhay and the baby had to be fine, he couldn't loose them all today, it would kill him. Dax stood up taking in deep breaths and rubbing his temples, "Where is Dr. Lewis?"

"She's in the hallway, and her team is ready to go as soon as you give the ok." Dax kissed Rosie; she had remained by his side through the entire ordeal. Leaving him only to check on Zhay.

"Rosie, I don't want her to be alone; could you stay with her until....." Dax barely got out. "She hated the dark and could only sleep alone if one of us sat with her until she drifted off." Looking back and forth between her and his princess, "Could you also call Grandpa Jake, I know he maybe busy but I..."

"Anything you want sugar," she kissed him and dabbed a hankie to his moist eyes. Her own tears on the verge of raining down her cheeks. "And Grandpa Jake is on his way."

Dax started to say something else but lost his thought when his father entered the room.

"Son, Dr. Lewis is waiting, they need to operate quickly."

"Let her know that I'm on my way out." Barron looked from Dax to Rosie. Rosie gave him a looking to let him know that Dax was ok and would be there in a minute. Barron nodded and left.

Dax leaned over to his sleeping angel, still clutching her tiny baby fingers in his big daddy paws and whispered, "Daddy loves you so much princess and nothing is ever going to change that." He gave Ladae one last kiss, and then headed out of the door.

**************************************************************

"They are so tiny." Chloe uttered as quietly as she could to Alise as they stood watching the feverish work of the NICU team.

"4lbs 3oz for Austin Jakob and 4lbs even for Lucas Blake." Alise said as she looked on at the barely there twins.

"I can't believe that no one realized that Zhay was pregnant with twins. No wonder her morning sickness seemed to last all day and she was so tired all the time." Chloe murmured.

"Dr. Lewis thinks that Lucas was hiding so snuggly behind Austin that was the reason he never showed up on any of the sonograms. " Barron offered, apologizing for sneaking up on the chatting women.

"Where's Ethan?" Alise asked Barron, "Sitting with Zhay."

*************************************************************

Dax sat and watched his wife. Zhay had completely succumbed to events of the day. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get her to calm down, her panic lead to her early labor. Though everyone was worried given her fragile condition, everything went as smooth as possible for Zhay's delivery. The doctors felt that she was no longer in danger and that she should come around soon. Dax wasn't sure that he was ready for that. He knew that no matter how gentle he was with her, there was nothing that he could say or do, to soothe her spirit or assuage the guilt that she was feeling.

He needed to go and check on his sons but couldn't leave her now; if she woke up alone he knew that she would be frantic.

"Dax, if you want to go and check on the twins. I'll sit with her." Chloe offered quietly entering the room, as if reading his mind.

"Thanks, I just don't want her to..."

"If she wakes up, I'll send Rosie or Alise to come get you. I promise. I won't leave her alone and besides the boys could really benefit from having their dad nearby cheering them on to a speedy recovery."

Dax smiled at that.

"Oh and cool names by the way I'm sure Zhay will love them."

"I hope so; the only one we agreed on was Austin after your dad. The others were possible middle names; we just couldn't decide on it. But it worked out that we could use all three huh? Jakob after Rosie's dad, Lucas after me and Blake...well that was Zhay's #2."  Dax laughed softly still staring at his wife. "I tried to tell her that Blake was an even wussier name than Ethan, but she liked it..."

Chloe watched his hesitant movements and stalling tactic, "Dax, go to your sons, they need you, Zhay won't mind."

"I know Chloe, but honestly....I am so scarred, I don't think that I can't watch them....." Dax choked out.

"Don't even think about it; that is not an option not today.   Austin and Lucas need you to teach them the Daxton way of getting things done. The Dax I know wouldn't be sitting in here crying like a virgin giving it up on prom night; he would be making shit happen. So get out of here and go make shit happen, go coach your sons out of ICU."

Dax finally looked away from his wife, and at Chloe, he got up and pulled her into a big hug, kissing her cheek; she was fighting her tears, and he saw it. "Thank you, I needed that...I won't stay too long....I know the NICU is doing all that they can." She hugged him back, "You know for a minute there you sounded just like Janis." Dax teased, attempting to lift both of their spirits.

"Now you really should leave." Chloe responded rolling her eyes at the comparison. "You know that she is on her way here, don't you? She probably flew the plane from London to New York, herself just to get here." They both laughed because they knew that Janis would probably break all sorts of FAA rules to get to Atlanta to be with Zhay.

*************************************************************

"Mom! Please...just leave me alone....please. Just for a few minutes....please." Dax barked, he knew he sounded harsh and that she was only trying to comfort him; but he didn't want her comfort or her hovering or her words, they were useless to him. What he wanted was a dream that was slowly dying before his eyes. "Of course son, take your time." Was Alise's somber response, as she eased away from him and out of the room.

Dax still sat on the floor of the NICU, where he slid after watching Austin take his final breath; knowing that in all likelihood Lucas was probably barely breathing too.

When he woke up this morning, he only wanted to enjoy a long leisurely weekend playing on the beach with Zhay and Lele. Never in his wildest nightmares was he prepared to face this onslaught of tragedy in a single day. He'd even lost track of the time, but all he knew was that in less that 24 hours, he'd lost his 2-year old daughter, watch his wife deliver their second child and first son; only to learn 2 minutes later that they'd been blessed with another child, a son as well; he sat and watched his sons struggle to live and a few hours later breathe their last breaths. He couldn't cry anymore. He didn't think that he had anymore tears left. They only emotion he now felt was anger. Anger at himself for not forcing Zhay to quit work; anger at Zhay for leaving the house when she said that she wouldn't; anger at Dr. Lewis for not deeming Zhay's pregnancy as high risk; anger at god for the cruel way he toke his family away from him. Angry with everyone who kept telling him that he needed to be strong for Zhay? Dammit! What about him? There is only so much a person can take before they reach their boiling point; and he was bubbling over. Whom could he draw strength from right now?

**************************************************************

"She's asking for you son, you need to be the one to tell her. You're the only one who can offer her any comfort right now." Grandpa Jake stated ignoring the NICU staff that moved around them.

Ethan had adopted Rosie's father Jakob as his surrogate grandfather. Grandpa Jake was the stuff that old school grandparents were made of firm but fair, loving and supportive. Grandpa Jake was a giant of a man, literally and figuratively. Tall and strong, quiet but stern and had shown Dax more love and support than his own grandfather had. His most memorable memory of him was when Dax was about 11 or 12 and chided Rosie to take him on a visit to her parent's farm just outside of Savannah. He loved going there, he and the other children had free reign to do just about anything. On one visit, listening to one of the older cousins, who thought that it would be fun to sample some of the white peaches from one of the other neighboring farms, he learned just how firm and fair Grandpa Jake was. They'd scored their goods and were on the way back to the farmhouse when a fuming grandpa Jake greeted them.  After he scolded them about dishonesty, stealing and hard work, he toke off his belt and reinforced his lecture. He didn't take pity on anyone. Up until that day, no one had really held Dax accountable for his actions. That summer each offender was assigned a Saturday to work on the neighbor's peach orchard. Dax laughed every time he thought about the first butt whipping he got, at the hands of Grandpa Jake. Until this day they never found out how he knew and Dax refused to eat another peach; but that lesson did help him to become a more honest and hardworking person.

"Grandpa Jake, I don't know if I can face her." Dax replied honestly, "How do I tell her that they're all gone?"  

"You'll find the words. They maybe hard to say but just hold her close and assure her that you'll both get through this, together."

"Everyone one wants me to draw from this never ending supply of strength, I have to tell you, I am empty...I have nothing left to give."

 

"Of course you do son, the strength you need is right here next to you and just outside that door; that's why I'm here, why we are all here. To help both of you get through this." Grandpa Jake with his arm around Dax's shoulders did actually make him feel a lot stronger in that moment. This was why Dax loved him; here they were mourning the loss of his children on the floor of the NICU, without pre tense or concern for those who watched. Grandpa Jake just let Dax be; he spoke only when engaged and never pressed Dax to give more than he was ready to. Dax doubted that Barron or Archer would have been as accommodating.

****************************************************************

"Dax, Dax, please tell me are they ok, Chloe and Alise...won't tell me anything..." Zhay begged, pulling the IV tube from her arm and getting out of bed.

Dax started towards Zhay, insisting that she lie back down. Holding her close, he kissed the top of head and attempted to answer her question. "Love, the babies...Austin and Lucas, they...."

"Please, Ethan, Please just tell me that they are ok?" Zhay wailed. She felt her husband inhale deeply and exhale a slow breath. She eased out of his embrace searching his eyes for an answer; but the look in his weary pools told her what he couldn't say aloud.

"Oh god... oh god.... not them too...oh god... no...no...no...what have I done, I killed my babies...I killed my babies... oh god what have I done...? It's all my fault....it's all my fault.  Zhay screamed repeatedly.

"No Love, this wasn't your fault." Dax cried over and over, knowing that nothing he could say to her would ease her pain or silence her anguish. He simply held her close and prayed that they both would make it through this grim chapter of their lives.  

End Notes:

Cheers to the weekend!!! Please tell me what you think; forgive all typos and erros.

Chapter 10 - How do you know when you’re in love? by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

I apologize for the delay in this story and I hope to crank out a few more chapters sooner. Thank you all for the support and comments. Reading them help and I plan to respond to each one. Happy reading.

Present day- 3 months later.

"Today must be your lucky day man; the nurses are fighting over who gets to give you a sponge bath. It reminds of that summer when we had the hook-up on all that good weed; and we couldn't put it down." Mason laughed, but it quickly faded, "I am so sorry for putting you through all this shit."

Mason stared at his best friend. Watching Dax lay there not moving seemed so surreal. Seeing him like this stood in stark contrast of the man he knew and it made him feel even guiltier. It was his fault.

"Remember when you told me that no one can fully understand what you have been going through?" Mason sighed and rubbed his temples, "I may not know that kind of pain buddy, but this probably comes pretty damn close to it."

He reached for Dax's hand, "I just wish you would get your sorry ass up out of this bed and fight me like a real man; I have to tell you Dax, seeing you like this hurts much worse than that black eye you gave me at Erin's wedding. And that shit hurt."

"Shit ,what a mess we made that day, huh...."

Flashback 6 months prior.

"Come on, dance with me beautiful." Mason tried to coax a still sitting Zhay. "It's a wedding all of the bridesmaids have to dance with the best man."

Zhay laughed at him. He was sitting next to her and table dancing as he called it. She appreciated what he was trying to do; he wanted to make her smile. "Um that only works if you are the best man and I was at church as the maid of honor, and I don't think it was you who had the rings."

"Maybe not at this wedding, but you have to admit that I am the best man here; the ladies have been all over me. I don't know what it is about weddings but for you females, your defenses weaken with quickness." Now adding hand movements to his shoulder twitches, Mason was in rare form.

"Mason you are nuts." Zhay laughed as he continued his table dancing.

He grabbed her hand and pulled her out of her seat, "Let's go; we are going to have a little fun."

Mason ignored her protests as he found a spot on the crowded dance floor. A popular pop tune was playing and everyone was up having fun. Zhay had to admit that dancing with Mason and laughing at the other guests was improving her mood. Dancing to three straight tunes she started to feel a bit fatigued but Mason insisted that they dance at least one more before he gave his toast to the couple. She agreed and the dancing duo chatted to the slower song that played.

"What's this?" Dax asked; seeming to appear out of nowhere. Looking back and forth between his wife and his best friend.

The wild look in his eyes told Mason that he needed to be on alert. "Dax." Mason greeted, still holding Zhay in his arms. "I didn't think that you'd make the reception, since I didn't see you at church."

"My attention was engaged elsewhere." Smiling towards his date for all to see; the tall red head in the too short red cocktail dress was hard to miss. "Ava and I lost track of time this morning. But I wanted to wish Erin good luck with the marriage thing; at least better luck than I've had."

Zhay mumbled something to Mason and was attempting to flee, when he tighten the arm that was around her waist. He had finally convinced Zhay to have some fun and take a twirl on the dance floor; and his efforts at getting her to smile now seemed short lived.

"Stop that Dax." Erin screeched as soon as she heard him; leaving her husband's side, she  moved  closer to Zhay, "It's my wedding and you are not going to ruin it, so you and that tart can get the hell out of here."

"What? I thought I was invited, I just came to toast your union; I thought that we were all friends here. I see that some of us have become friendlier than I realized." Motioning between Mason and Zhay, "How long has this been going on?"

"Dax, go home you're drunk and you are embarrassing yourself." Mason whispered, hoping that the other guests who were now staring in their direction couldn't hear the exchange.

"I'm embarrassing myself? You're the one parading around with my leftovers and a noted murderer at that; you should be the one who is embarrassed." Mason felt Zhay practically shrink in his arms. They both knew that Dax was drunk and they should just ignore him; but still his words were so venomous that ignoring him proved difficult for Mason.

 "Dax, I am warning you. Leave now, before I personally throw you out." Mason gritted through his teeth.

"Wow, man after all these years. It's like that, huh? Her over me? You'd choose a ho before your bro? That's cold man." Dax baited.

Mason felt his blood boiling and he knew where this was heading. "That's it, get the fuck out." Grabbing Dax by his elbow, he attempted to usher him out of the party. He loved Dax as if he was his own brother and because of it, he knew that he had to stop him from saying and doing much worse to hurt Zhay.

Dax protested Mason's rough handling but it was all for naught. Zhay tried to stop Mason, she' offered to leave the party instead; she didn't want their personal problems to ruin Erin's wedding. But Mason refused to entertain her offer. As far as he was concerned Dax was the unwelcomed guest here.

Making their way to the main house Mason stopped walking and let go of Dax's arm. He knew that his friend was too drunk to drive, so instead of tossing him out on his ass like he planned, he ushered him into the privacy of his father's library. Carter, the family butler who always seemed prepared for everything, quickly brought in a pot of coffee.

Mason was beyond pissed with Dax. He looked over at his friend, who was staring at him wordlessly. But the man with the bloodshot eyes, who reeked of alcohol, looking at him certainly was no friend of his. He couldn't imagine what Dax was going through but he also knew that it wasn't an excuse to do what he just did.

"What the fuck is wrong with you man?" Mason asked, searching Dax's eyes for any sign of his best friend. "You're shit faced and you bring that hooker to Erin's wedding."

Walking towards Mason, Dax stumbled but recovered; "I had a few cocktail before we got here and Ava maybe very good at a lot of things but she doesn't get paid; she does it for free." Dax winked. "She maybe my new Marketing Director in the morning, if she plays her cards right, tonight."

Mason was now truly disgusted with his friend.

"You've done what you came here to do, you've hurt Zhay; your little act out there not only made her feel like shit but you humiliated her in front of her friends and colleagues. Are you happy now?" Mason congratulated, knowing that was what Dax's drunk mind wanted to hear. "Do you feel better? Do you feel vindicated now?"

Dax shrugged his shoulders and smirked at Mason's ranting. All of that only served to irritate Mason even more. "Do you know how hurtful that was, to hear you call Zhay a murderer, knowing that she has been in a very fragile state since leaving Cedar Grove? Is that how you treat the woman you love? She deserves better than that; she deserves someone better than you."

"Oh really and tell me good buddy who does she deserve? Someone like you? Why the fuck, do you care so much about my wife's feelings?" Dax spat back nastily.

Mason walked to Dax to stand toe to toe with him, looking him straight in his eyes, "I told you a long time ago, that I love Zhay just as much as I love Erin and would protect her all the same no matter what. I will do that today and I will do that tomorrow; I will protect her from anything that could hurt her and that even includes you, especially you."

"What the fuck does that mean?" Dax seemed to snap out of his drunken stupor and was now eyeing Mason with contempt. "My wife doesn't need your protection."

"It means that, I am going to advise her to take out a restraining order against you. Today you have proven that you are unstable and potentially dangerous; I don't like her living in that house all alone and vulnerable to your drunken tirades."

"You don't like....My wife's safety is of none of your damn business, Mason." Dax warned.

"Your wife? The wife you just verbally assaulted a few minutes ago?" Mason mocked, "You bring that street walker to her best friend's wedding to hurt her and..." he stopped, he knew Dax wasn't hearing anything right now. "You're wrong, Zhay's safety is my concern, I love her...."

"First off, you are going to stop telling me how much you love my wife; second you are going to keep your fucking hands off of my wife; third you are going stay away from wife." Dax cautioned, poking Mason in the chest.

Mason stared back at his friend, "As I said before, I will protect Zhay no matter what. So don't threaten me."

"I guess that's what best buds are for though, right; when the opportunity presents itself, just slide in and take advantage. You think you're so slick, don't you. You never had me fooled. I always knew you wanted to fuck her."

The punch Mason threw caught Dax off guard and he stumbled back and landed onto one of the book shelves. He felt a trickle of blood leave his nose and watched as a stun Mason moved towards him. The sound the punch made when it landed on Dax's face also surprised Mason. He had reacted without thinking. He looked at his friend, who was wiping the blood that was falling from his nose with his hands; Dax stared at the red globs but said nothing.

"Dax I'm so s...." Mason tried to get out, while reaching to help him up.

 "No don't apologize." Dax snapped back;  instead of  taking the hand that Mason offered, he hit him with  a crushing blow to his body that sent Mason crashing into the sofa table.

Now steadier on his feet he was circling Mason like a rabid dog.

"Dax, calm down." Mason pleaded attempting to stand, hoping that the crazed look he saw in Dax's eyes wouldn't push them down a path that they would regret later. "I don't want to fight you."

"You don't want to fight me." Dax screamed, punching Mason in his left eye; sending him to the ground.

Mason looked up at his friend. He wanted a fight. He needed an outlet for his anger but this wasn't the time. "Let's not do this, not here; not today." Mason reasoned.

"Get up, you fucking pussy...you started this," Dax reminded Mason. "You thought it was ok to rub your dick all over my wife? As much as you would like to taste her chocolate goodness, that pussy is  still all mine; and at the moment my sloppy seconds are not up for grabs..."

Mason didn't think it was possible that after nearly 30 years of friendship with Dax, that he would want to punch him. In 30 years they had never truly had an argument or a fight with each other; though they had caused a lot of them. Never had  words so spiteful between them ever escalated to exchanging blows. Dax was drunk and saying things he probably didn't mean. Mason knew that he should have just let it go; but he didn't. Hearing his insinuations left Mason hotter than July. Before he could stop himself, his fist was again connecting with Dax's face. And before long both sets of fists we flying, glass was breaking and furniture was being tossed about. The brawl grew so loud that Evans Grey himself was compelled to break up the melee.

"What the hell is the matter with you two?" Evans thundered as he pulled the fighting pair apart. "Today is Erin's day and I won't stand for this shit." He gave the servers orders to bring in a pot of ice, water and bandages for Mason and Dax.

---------------------------

Mason took the ice pack that was handed to him, covered his eye and sat down on the leather sofa in front of the fire place.  It felt like his eye was about to explode and his fingers were cramped. He looked over to his friend and noticed that Dax wasn't in the best shape either. His nose was red and was bleeding profusely. He had cuts and bruises over his eyes and lips were starting to swell.

"Erin is going to kill me." Dax said reaching for another drink of water. Walking to the big bay windows he looked on at the festivities happening on the great lawn, he felt terrible for his earlier display.

"Yes she is." Mason agreed, kicking off his shoes to stretch his legs on the ottoman. "You look like shit man." He took off his jacket and untied his bowtie.

"I feel like shit. Did you have to hit me in the nose? I think it's broken." Dabbing the iced towel to his nose, Dax noticed that the blood stream was still pretty heavy.

"I know a great doctor who could check that out for you, if you want." Mason laughed, "There's like a thousand of them out there."

Dax didn't respond. He only stared out the window, he was straddling the line between being drunk and sober and the sad reality of what his drunken mind had just done crushed his spirit.

"Zhay probably hates my guts. Did I really just call my wife a murderer in front of all these people?" he asked aloud but more to himself.

Mason looked over to his friend, he was watching the party. But he was pretty sure that he was only looking for Zhay. "Yes you did; and you also called her a ho."

Silence lingered in the room and Mason wasn't sure of what he wanted to say to his friend. It wasn't until he heard the sound of faint whimpers that Mason got up from his comfortable position on the sofa and walked over to his friend.

"Let it out man, you'll feel better." Mason encouraged as he wrapped his arm around his friend.

"Fuck man. Everyone says that shit...but...you'll never understand."  Dax managed to get out but fighting his tears.

"I know; but I hate to see you like this. I hate this person that you are becoming. The person who showed up drunk to my sister's wedding,  with another woman, calls his wife a ho and a murderer, then accuses me and his wife of the unthinkable...isn't the Dax I know."

Dax looked up at Mason, and it seemed to sober him up when he heard that "I need to go, I need to find her and apologize to her. I don't mean to hurt her but every time I see her..."

Mason quickly blocked his passage, "Listen, right now you're drunk and she's fragile; you'll talk to her later when your thoughts are clearer."

Dax nodded his head in agreement but Mason still wasn't convinced that he was 100 percent listening to him. "What's going on talk to me, bro; you know that you tell me anything?"

"What can I say really? Everyone knows the story." Dax sat down and rubbed his sore jaw.

"Yes but...how are you dealing with all of this? You've refused counseling so I have to tell you I'm worried. Getting liquored up is not the way to handle your pain; it will only hurt you and Zhay both in the end."

"I know." Dax conceded, "But you have no idea what it's like living with the thoughts in my head; I can't escape them."

"Dax, you need help. You have to talk with a professional; it is going to get worse. And I have to tell you, that I am not only concerned about you but Zhay too. You've always been able to handle your liquor; but I'm afraid that your drinking maybe getting out of control. Look around this room. We fought each other, we've never done that. Granted I did throw the first punch, but we've never been that angry with each other in all our years of friendship.  And you've never been that drunk. If that could happen between us, what would happen if you and Zhay got into a heated exchange like we just did, while you were drunk?"

Dax quickly jumped up at hearing that, "Mason, you know me. I would never hit Zhay. I would cut my arm off before I ever did anything like that. I love that woman with everything that is in me."

"Do you? Then start acting like it. Get your shit together so you two can work things out. She misses you dumb ass and she needs you. And from what I've witness today, you need her now more than ever."

"I miss her too." Dax started, "I need to find her; I need to go out there and..."  Heading towards the door, Mason stopped him. Though, he seemed to be more conscious of his actions and sounded remorseful of his behavior. Mason knew that his friend was still in the midst of an emotional moment and thought it best for him to be alone.

"No, not now; let her be, just for today. I'll talk to her. You can apologize tomorrow when you're sober. Besides, I'm sure the estrogen brigade out there won't  let you anywhere near her. Stay here clean up and go home." Mason suggested, pointing to the coffee pot and water on the table.

"Thanks, Mase I owe you one." Dax stood up and hugged his friend.

"No, you owe me two, you are paying to have this room redone. Evans wasn't too happy that we smashed up his gaudy antiques." Mason chuckled, recalling his father's look of irritation when he rushed through the doors.

Grabbing his jacket off the ottoman,  "Dax, I have your back; I will save your ass every time, no questions asked. I will even save you from yourself, if I have to. That's just how much I love you."

Dax turned from the window to look at his friend, he was lucky to have Mason in his life. "Just one more thing buddy, stay off the sauce. And call me whenever you need to talk, seriously...oh and Ava from marketing, end whatever that shit is, today." Mason didn't wait for his response; he headed out of the library and back out to the wedding reception in full damage control mode.

Dax sank lower in his seat and thought about everything that had just happened. Mason was a good friend and his display today could have easily cost him his friendship. But Mason was right about his drinking lately; and he did get angry when he saw Zhay laughing and smiling; while he walked around miserable. Maybe it was time to seek professional help.

She looked so beautiful today he thought; he knew that he needed to talk to her but he couldn't. Every time he saw her all of his confused feelings rushed out in the worst way. Dax sat in the quiet of the Grey Family library and cried, he wife was only a few feet away from him yet he wasn't strong enough to talk with her. He was still angry and hurt; and experiencing every other emotion one feels when hopeless took over their life.

-----------------

"Evans was pissed that night. But he loved your redo. You won him over with that old English Pub set up. Turning the library into his own private saloon was classic. I mean it's still a bit stuffy for me but you know I love the grainy...listen to me babbling on like a girl."

Mason pulled his chair closer to Dax and place his hands in his, "Just know that I miss you buddy. Zhay is ok, but she is waiting on you to wake up; she never leaves your side man; poor girl lives in this chair. So get your ass up so that she can get some rest. Speaking of rest, you know, three months is a long time for a vacation buddy; you need to get back to work. I'm stealing all of your clients. Don't get me wrong, Harper is good, but he's not that damn good; plus everyone wants your autograph on the plans. Something about you being a genius and all. Anyway Did I tell you about Cecile, the hot flight attendant that I meet coming back from Paris. Man....." Mason rubbed his friend's hand and started talking about everything that was going on in his life. Their friendship was an easy one; it weathered more days than most marriages and Mason was struggling without Dax's counsel in his life. Just like the others around him, he too needed Dax back at 100 percent.

******************************

Adam checked Dax's monitor for the evening and compared the readings to last nights and earlier in the day. He and the other doctors were happy to see that his stats had been significantly improving. He couldn't believe that they had successfully removed Dax's breathing tube already; his patient was getting stronger every day. 

When he walked in to the ICU all those months ago, Adam was bracing for the worst; and was confronted by it. After speaking with his father, he knew that Dax would have one hell of an uphill battle. But if anyone could come through this he knew that it was Dax.

"Dax, your stats look good today. But, I am still concerned about possible spinal and brain injuries. I can't rule anything out until you wake up and I can run all the tests that I need to. So I'm just waiting on you, buddy; I need you to do your thing so that I can get you out of here and back home with Zhay."

***********************

Flashback to a young Dax

"Dad are you busy?"

"No. I'm never too busy for you, son; you know that. What's on your mind?"

"How do you know when you're in love?" Dax asked matter of factly.

Barron put his pencil down and peered over his glasses at his 11-year old son who'd just walked into his home office. He had foolishly hoped that he had at least another year before they would have this talk, the talk. Barron had it planned out perfectly. They would go hunting in the North Georgia Mountains and spend the weekend in their cabin and have their talk. A men's bonding weekend; one he hoped would prepare his son to better relate to his female counter parts.

"Why?" Barron countered curiously, standing up from his desk and motioning to Dax to come and sit with him on the sofa. "Do you think you're in love?"

Dax shrugged his shoulders, and sat down next to his father.

"Well son, love is a complicated thing. It can be exciting and exhilarating, as well as painful and exhausting." Answering as truthfully as he could without revealing too much of his own struggles with the emotion.

"I guess you know you love someone when, you are concerned about their wellbeing, you miss them when they're not around, you'll do whatever it takes to make them happy, no matter what and you can't imagine a day without them in your life." Barron looked at his son, "Does that help? Are you in love?"

Dax thought on the words his father just offered and smiled. "Yes! I want to take her flowers tomorrow; she likes them; that will make her happy."

"You're sure you're in love? And this girl you're in love with likes flowers?" Barron asked hiding a smile.

"Yes, especially pink flowers. They're her favorite."

"Flowers are good; but I think that kind of offering may be a bit mature for someone your age." Barron offered gently, "How about a card or candy, maybe she'll like that better?"

"Nah, Dad, no candy. Rosie likes flowers."  Barron blinked twice at his son; surely he didn't hear what his son just uttered.

"Rosie?"

Dax nodded his head at his father's simple question, "You think you're in love with Rosie?" Barron asked, barely holding in his laugh. He hoped that he successfully masked his amusement. He couldn't blame Dax, Rosie was easy to love.

"UH-Huh....Dad she's the best." Dax smiled. I know what you mean son; Barron thought but didn't voice.

"She laughs at all my jokes and she comes to watch all of my games; she gives the best hugs, and I missed her when she went to London, I love her dad and I am going to marry her when I turn 18."

Barron, sat in his spot on the sofa stunned and mute; Dax's declaration shocked him and he knew that he had to handle his adolescent feelings delicately. Who was he to dissuade his son from loving Rosie?

"Son, I think I need to clarify something. Loving someone and being in love with someone are two different things."

Barron searched his son's eyes for a flicker of something, but he wasn't sure what he was looking for. 

"What do you mean dad?" The younger Daxton asked confused by his father's words.

"Well, let's see. You love me, your mom and Claire don't you?" Dax shook head in confirmation, "You are happy when something wonderful happens to us right? Like when Claire won that dance completion and last week for mom's birthday. And it would hurt if something bad happened to any of us right? Like when, we lost Grandma Estelle?  Son, that's the types of feelings we have when we love someone. So tell me, is your love for Rosie any different from those feelings you have for us?"

Dax sat and thought about it for a minute and didn't answer right away.  "I guess not."

"That's what I thought. One day you'll find a woman, who you'll fall madly in love with; and then you'll want to get married. We'll toast your beautiful bride and laugh when I remind you about this conversation. Trust me."

Dax smiled, "But I love Rosie a lot, dad."

"I know you do son, and she loves you too. She tells me that all the time." Barron motioned for his son to move closer to him and wrapped him in arms.

"Really?" Dax asked surprised, taking in the comfort of his father's embrace.

"Yes." Barron replied, smiling at hearing the excitement in his son's voice; and drifting off to memories of her.  "She says that you're her Ethan and you have been since the first time she saw you."

Hearing that warmed Dax, he never told Alise but he always secretly wished that Rosie could be his real mother. He thought about what his father said about love, but was still confused.  "How will I know when I fall in love; how will it feel?"

Without much thought, Barron trained his indigo blue eyes to son's sea foam green ones, "You'll feel like you can't breathe if she is not close to you. You'll hear her laugh when she is miles away. When she is away you count the days until she returns. The smile on her face has the power to make a bad day better. You'll feel her sadness and hurt before she has a chance to say the words.  Her hugs and kisses offer so much comfort that no words need to be exchanged to make you feel better.  You bring her flowers, just because...because you know she loves them. And you'll want her be happy, no matter what; even if it means that you no longer hold a special place in her life."

Dax looked at his father, who was now staring off in the distance, "Dad, can I still give Rosie flowers, even though I'm not in love with her?"

Barron returned his attention back to his on, "Sure, I'll even help you pick them out." Barron promised, kissing the top of his son's head.

"Thanks, dad."

"I love you, son. It's late; you should go get ready for bed." They exchanged hugs and good night kisses, and then Dax was off to bed.

Barron lost track of how long he sat there and thought about the conversation he just had with his son. Love, it sounded so simple and easy when he rushed out his explanation; yet in real life it was much more complicated and messy.

********************

Present day

Barron sat and watched his son's stiff body for yet another morning. As the initial days stretched into weeks and then crept into months, he painfully realized that this could be Dax's future. What the doctors had managed to pull off, was nothing short of a miracle; the rest they advised, was up to Dax.

Dax had to be the one to want to open his eyes, get out of the bed and walk. To watch his son live in a comatose state for 3 months had nearly driven Barron to madness. No matter what expert assessed the situation, it was always the same response. Dax has to want to emerge from his current state. And that was something that Barron couldn't understand.  Dax was a fighter, that he knew for sure. His son had challenged him on just about everything growing up. So why was he so determined to remain in this state, left Barron confused. Each day it got harder and harder for Barron to visit his son. His son, who was so full of life and vitality, was now reduced to a feeding tube and sponge baths.

He slumped down in the uncomfortable chair next to Dax's bed and wept silently; knowing that the longer Dax remained in this state, the chances of a full recovery diminished. Barron thought about all of the things that he wanted to share with his son and was sadden that he could be robbed of his opportunity. He remembered the last conversation that they had and he promised Dax that he would do everything that he can to help him reconcile with Zhay.

His mornings for the past few months had been dedicated to spending quiet moments with Dax. He would talk to him about the happenings in the office, home, politics, history; it didn't matter. He would talk about anything, that he thought would bore Dax to point where he would get up and yell "Dad enough already" like he would do when he was younger; but nothing seemed to work.

It broke his heart to see Dax this way; and soon Barron's silent tears soon grew into sobs. It wasn't until he felt the warm slender fingers on the back of his neck that he heard her soothing words. She was standing over him. He leaned into her warmth but remained silent. It was 6:15 in the morning and she was right where he needed her to be; close to him. She always seemed to know when he needed her the most.

He reached for her hands and gave them a tender kiss. She was the only one that he didn't have to keep up appearances for. She had seen him at his best and still he cringed at her seeing him at his worst. Her right hand moved from his shoulders to the nape of his neck and her fingers began their slow dance in his hair. Her lite massage of his neck and scalp always comforted him and he felt some of his tension leave his body. He rubbed her left arm and sighed.

"Why won't he wake up, Rose?"

"He has so much on his mind Barry. This is the mental break that he needed to take a year ago." Rosie supposed.

"I...I don't know what I'll do if I lose him, Rosie." Barron cried.

Rose came around to face him and took his face into her hands. "We won't; you have to believe that. Ethan has more fight in him than a pack of wolves; he'll get through this." She assured, kissing his eyes. "You have to remain strong Barry; he'll need all of our strength when he wakes up."

He looked up at Rosie; he knew that seeing Ethan like this must have been even harder on her. He was the son that she didn't have. Ethan sought her council on everything and shared more things with her than he did with his parents.

"Come sit. He needs to know that his Rosie is here with him." Barron stood up to give Rosie his seat, so that she could visit with Dax too. He left them alone to talk and he paced the hallway as his thoughts bounced from place to place.

----------------------------

"Hey handsome. How are you feeling today?" Rosie kissed his still bandaged forehead and took his hand in hers.  "You know this conversation would go a lot faster if you would actually respond." She watched for any flicker of life but was disappointed when Dax remained stock still.

"Harper is doing a phenomenal job running DE while you're here. I think that you should be worried." Rosie teased. "I know you can hear me sugar, and I know that you need your rest; but you need to let us know that you are still in there fighting to get back to us, Zhay especially." Rosie squeezed his hand and began rubbing his fingers; they were warm.

"You two have suffered so much and right now more than anything, she needs you to open your eyes, precious." Rosie hoped that her pleas would reach Dax in that dark place where he was. She too was feeling some angst about his prolonged comatose state and every day for the past few months she waited for that call to say that he was awake but it never came. 

Barron stood just outside the room and watched them through the window. Rosie would visit him at least twice a day and sat with him for hours. She talked to him, read to him or held his hands to let him know that he wasn't alone. He saw her body shaking and he knew that she was crying. He immediately went to comfort her.

The tears spilled out of her eyes as she watched Ethan, "I need to get a drink of water." Rosie murmured into Barron's chest.

"I'll go and get it for you; stay and talk with him."

"No, I need a minute to myself."  Rosie cried, "This is so hard seeing him like this, especially today."

"I know darlin'. It's ok if you want to mourn a little..." Rosie looked up at Barron startled. "We lost Ashford all those years ago, today. So I know how hard this is for you to see Ethan like this."

She was surprised that he even knew that date. He looked in her eyes and saw the surprise there. "You're not the only who still carries that pain, Rosie; I feel it too." He held her tighter and encouraged her to cry.

Ashford Barron Daxton was their son, whom they lost before he had a chance to see the world. It was such a hard time for both of them; to this day, they rarely discussed the tragedy that they shared in private. Besides her father and mother and his father, no one else knew that Rosie and Barron had conceived a child together. It wasn't because either was ashamed of it, but Rosie was so young and still in college; her parents thought is best to keep the knowledge confined to a small group. Of course, when Barron's father found out, that led to a chain of events that resulted in the loss of their child. Barron was devastated that he wasn't there for either of them. Not only did he lose Ashford that day, but those events also caused him to lose the love of his beloved Rose.

Trying her best to compose herself, Rosie whispered, "Barry, we can't do this. Not now." She quickly dabbed her moist lids and took in a calming breath. "Ethan needs all of our energies focused on him."

"I'm sure he would give you a reprieve to grieve the loss of our son, Rose." Still holding her, he kissed her temple and hoped that she was comforted.

Hearing him make reference to their son had Rosie thinking about things that she hadn't in a long while. Like the promise they made to each other that they wouldn't talk about Ashford with anyone. As far as everyone else was concerned, Delaine was her one and only and Ethan was his first born.

So lost in their thoughts and embrace neither Rosie, nor Barron noticed the fluttering of their beloved patient's eyelids.

End Notes:

Please forgive errors and typos etc. Leave me a love note and tell me what you think. I love hearing from you readers; you all are so insightful and funny and smart and well you get the point! Thanks.

Chapter 11 - You are spoiling me, beautiful... by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

Happy Turkey Day!!!

Present Day

Alise walked into the ICU just as she had every day for the past three months, on shaky footing.

She sat down and watched her son.

To say that she and Dax had a strained relationship was an understatement.

It was if he knew that when she found out that she was pregnant with him, she wasn't thrilled. 

Though she was immediately smitten by the southern charmer who descended on LA like a tornado, she was equally excited about all of the opportunities that had opened up to her after landing the coveted position as the spokes model for Cassini Jeans. Her modeling career was finally taking flight when she met Barron Daxton.

Becoming a wife or having a child was not on her radar at that time, she thought that those things would definitely hold her back.

Louisa, her mother quickly pointed out that her beauty and career would eventually fade; but being married to Barron Daxton would secure her future.  Alise knew that her mother was speaking about her own life. Though she loved her father Stuart, they were both stuck in dead end jobs that only served to provide necessities such as food on the table and clothes on their backs. But it never provided for the niceties such as, vacations, new cars or a bigger home and Alise could have all those things with Barron.

Alise had to admit that becoming Barron's wife did have its allure; he was handsome, rich, well connected and he loved her; they certainly would make a very striking couple.

But deep down she feared that something was missing in their relationship. It all happened rather suddenly and she wasn't sure if it was love or a serious case of lust. Their courtship was short and their marriage was a hasty affair unwelcomed by his family; it was especially coolly received by Barron's father, Archer Daxton.

Over the years, Alise even went as far as taking etiquette lesson, joined charities that she thought would soften her profile; in addition to hiring the most coveted chefs, curators and historians to help her improve her cultural awareness and win the Daxton family over. Alise loved Barron and she wanted their marriage to work. But for all her hard work, she could not win Archer over and Barron rarely applauded her efforts.

****************

Flashback years prior

"Ok, so who are we trying to impress again?" Alise asked Barron as they entered the grand ball room at the Ritz Carlton.

"Senator Wilder and Mayor Colton." He whispered, rubbing her hand; she was anxious and it helped to calm her down.

She had been nervous all day over the event. This was their first official outing as newlyweds and she wanted to make a good impression. Alise was aware that perception was everything in these social circles; and she had prepared as best she could in hopes of winning his friends and peers over.

 "Son, over here." Archer called as the pair made their way through the crowded ball room.

"What took you so long? I wanted to introduce you to ambassador Hayward before he had to leave." Archer asked his son.

"We are here now, dad; so it doesn't matter." Barron responded, irritated already at his father.

"Good evening to you to Archer." Alise offered, noting that her new father in law hadn't bothered to acknowledge her presence.

"Alise." He responded curtly; giving her the once over.

Archer Daxton was not approving of his new daughter in law and he did little to hide that fact. He didn't hesitate to remind her of it and even went as far as offering her whatever she wanted to leave Barron and the Daxton family.

‘Name your price.' He told her, as casually he pleased. ‘I will pay you whatever you want, to go away.'

Though he thought her quite beautiful, he found her unintelligent, unrefined and no match for his son who was from one of the finer southern families.

Barron told her to ignore him; it was just his way. But for her, that proved to be more of challenge than he realized. 

Alise followed her husband through the crowd noting the stares from the other guests. She knew that Barron was a successful businessman, but she was surprised at the whispers that weren't so hush hush as they moved about.

She stopped suddenly, "Barron could you give me a minute. I just need to freshen up a bit."

Barron looked at his wife curiously. She really was nervous about tonight; he didn't know why, she looked absolutely beautiful.

"OK; you get five minutes to hide out and after that I'm coming looking for you."  He teased.

He kissed her cheek and told her he would wait for her near the bar.

------------------------

 Alise stepped out of the powder room a bit more confident than when she walked in. She had partied with celebrities and other VIPs before; but this was different. This was Barron's business and she didn't want to say or do anything to embarrass him.

As she walked over to the bar at the back of the room for a glass of champagne, she scanned the crowd for her husband. She spotted him talking with a group of people and gathered her wrap and clutch off the bar to make her way over to them.

She started towards them but stopped when she noticed the striking black woman approaching the group. Barron immediately waved her over to him, took her hands kissed them and then planted a kiss on her cheek. His hands then casually moved to the small of her back and stayed there.

Alise knew that her husband was a bit of a flirt but this seemed like more than just harmless flirting to her. Watching the exchange had Alise twisted in knots. Who was this woman, her husband was caressing?

"You're glass is empty." Archer pointed out, handing her a fresh glass of champagne. He appeared out of nowhere but had witness her taking in the scene before her.

"You know, she's the one that he really wanted to marry." Archer supplied, hoping to get a reaction from her.

When he didn't, he continued his dig.

"Look at her poised, sophisticated, intelligent, charming and stunning. She has all of the qualities that you lack." He maliciously pointed out, "The only problem is, she has the wrong skin tone."

Alise didn't respond to him, though she was fuming inside; she refused to let Archer know that he'd gotten to her.

Barron had repeatedly warned her to discount anything that Archer told her. His father liked things done his way and would manipulate any one he could to get what he wanted. He warned her not to fall into his trap by indulging in his antics. Right now listening to Archer and watching her husband she wasn't sure who she should be leery of.

"As much as he cares for her; he would never go against me and marry her. So I guess this is where you fit in. Don't get me wrong I think you're a beautiful woman; but you don't even compare to her, she was a much better choice than you.  Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut; for once ....Mayor Colton."

Archer walked off in pursuit of the mayor. Leaving Alise standing alone with the seeds of doubt he'd just planted.

She continued to observe the pair. Archer was right about the woman being striking. Alise didn't know her but she did have an air of sophistication about her. Everyone around her seemed captivated in her presence and witnessing it made Alise feel just a bit more insecure.

It wasn't until Barron's mother, Estelle touched her arm that she was shaken from her thoughts.

"Are you all right dear? You look pale."

"Yes I'm fine. Thanks, for asking Estelle." Alise looked into her kind face and smiled. "Do you know that woman, talking with Barron?"

"Why that's Rosanna, of course; don't tell me you haven't been introduced to her yet? Come on and meet the woman who practically controls your husband's life. I swear she's the glue that keeps DE together." Estelle rambled on, oblivious to the way Alise tensed up at hearing her words.

Alise watched as Barron continued talking with Rosanna.  She and Estelle made their way over to them, but she was becoming ill at ease with each step; as Archer's words still rang fresh in her ears.

******************************

A few short years after they got married Alise was pregnant. She was not thrilled about it and she was having a hard time getting used to the idea of being a mother.  She loved Barron and they were happy; but the truth was that she really didn't want to give up her career. She still did print campaigns for many cosmetic companies and she thoroughly enjoyed it. She could be married and still take modeling jobs but once she had a baby those jobs would probably dry up.

Being a wife was one thing; but being a mother was quite another. Barron told her that she didn't have to work anymore. He just couldn't understand that she wanted to work. When she told Barron that she wasn't sure if she was ready to be a mother and that she wanted to explore other options, he went ballistic.

He refused to entertain any option other than the safe delivery of their child. She was starting to feel like a hostage in her life as opposed to a participant and she needed a break and reassess what was her life's purpose.

Alise wasn't sure what a baby would mean for them, but when she saw the way that Barron fawned over their newborn son, she knew that having his child was the best decision that she could have made.

-------------------------------------

"You did good, mom." Barron smiled to Alise.

He was still staring at his son, with the beautiful green eyes and light dusting of golden hair, just like his model mother.

Barron had yet to put the baby down since the delivery. Alise had fallen asleep shortly thereafter, but awoke to the picture in front of her.

She smiled at them, happy that he was pleased with his son.

"He's 4 hours old; I think that he needs a name. Don't you?" Alise asked, watching Barron.

"That has already been taking care of, I present to you, Ethan Lucas."

The smile quickly slid from her face; Alise looked at her husband stunned.

"You don't want to name him after you?" she barely got out; shocked that Barron didn't give their son any part of his name; Barron Edric Archer.

"No. My son is going to make his own way in the world; no living in my shadow for him. He will be his own man and for that he'll need his own name."

Alise wasn't sure how to respond; each of the Daxton men carried one of their father's names; but Barron's choice of names was a clear break from that tradition and that made her feel like she had failed to gain all of his affection, yet again.

**************************

 "Mom, can you tell dad that I'll be right down, I forgot something upstairs." A young Dax called over his shoulders as he raced up the back staircase and to his bedroom.

She and Dax had just finished eating breakfast. Saturday mornings always meant waffles or pancakes and their time together; she welcomed it. He was getting older and soon he wouldn't want to spend alone time with mom.

"Hey where did Ethan go? I thought that he was ready to leave." Barron asked, walking over to Alise and giving her a kiss good morning and grabbing a slice of toast.

"Sit and have a waffle. Where are you two off to, so early on a Saturday morning?" Alise asked over her coffee mug.

Barron sat down at her insistence; he didn't want a confrontation with her today. But he knew that no matter how delicate he was; a scream fest was on the horizon.

"I am taking him to visit Rosie, she had her baby yesterday and Dax wants to see her."

Alise studied Barron. She thought that it was impossible for him to hurt her any more than he already had over the years. But this news struck her deep and visibly upset her.

"You are taking our son to meet your bastard daughter?" Alise spat out with so much anger that her tone surprised him.

"She is not my daughter." Barron bit out, trying his best to mask his annoyance at his wife's outburst.

"Only because Harville is smart enough, not to trust you to be alone with his wife."

"That's enough Alise, for the millionth time; there is nothing going on between Rose and me."

"There is no escaping her is there?" Alise continued, "And now you've managed to get my son caught up in your tangled web of lies and deceit."

"Correction, our son and I don't know what you're talking about."

"What is the hold that she has over you?" Alise screamed in frustration.

 "Damn it, lower your voice before someone hears you." Barron warned, referring to their household staff.

This was the last thing he wanted to deal with on a Saturday morning; Alise's insecurities.

"Why should I care who hears me? Everyone knows that you're in love with her. You are worse than a love sick puppy when it comes to that woman. I won't stand for it any more Barron."

Barron stared at his wife in disbelief; he loved her, he really did. But he was tired of having to walk on eggshells with her when it came to Rosie. Whatever they had was in the past and at present, there really was nothing going between them.

"How many times do we have to play this game Alise? Rosie and I are only friends and you know it. She is happily married to Harville and I am only taking Dax to meet the new baby."

"I bet that crushes you too, doesn't it. Your precious Rose doesn't need you anymore." Alise taunted watching her husband for a reaction.

Barron didn't respond to her taunts. He downed that last of his orange juice and waited patiently for Dax to return to the kitchen.

Alise sighed, they had been down this road too many times. No matter what Barron said she always felt that apart of him was not available to her and she knew it was because it was reserved for someone else; Rosie.

"You can go and spend time with her. But I'll be damned if I let you take Ethan with you. I forbid it."

"What is your problem Alise? Dax wants to go see Rosie and the baby and that's it. After all these years, you are still insecure about my friendship with her?" Barron asked, confused that they were even having this conversation.

"My problem is that you've rooted your whore so deeply into our lives; that now my son is asking to spend time with her." Alise shouted, surprising them both.

Barron swiftly stood up knocking his chair to the ground and glared at his wife. His indigo eyes were cold and the fury in them pierced her where she stood. She knew him well enough to know that she had pushed him too far, this time.

 "If you ever call her that again in my presence, you'll regret the day that you ever left California; Mrs. Daxton." Barron gritted out between clenched teeth; trying to curb his anger.

 "I didn't mean it...I know Rosie is not that kind of..." she stammered.

"Dax." Barron bellowed, completely ignoring his wife's attempt at an apology and heading out of the kitchen.

"I only meant that...Barron..."

Alise continued calling after him but froze when she turned around to see Dax standing on the back stair case, staring at her.

She hadn't noticed him standing there before and wasn't sure how much of the exchange he had heard. But the look on his face told Alise that'd heard enough.

**********************

Present Day

Ever since that day on the staircase her relationship with Dax changed.

She wasn't sure if it was a direct result of what he heard that day or the fact that after her exchange with Barron, she focused all of her energy on winning her husband's whole heart.

Which meant, she essentially abandon Ethan's needs in order to chase after Barron's affections.  

It worked, and they were very happy. Their union was even again blessed with another baby, Claire Estelle Louisa and Alise couldn't be happier.  But that happiness came with a price; she'd sacrifice time with her family to remain glued to her husband's side.

Ethan became very withdrawn from both her and Barron as he got older. It was almost as if he only tolerated them because they were responsible for his wellbeing.  As he got older he grew fiercely independent and rarely shared anything with them unless they forced his hand.

Alise watched her son's stilled body. Long gone was the little boy who relied on her for everything, he had been replaced with this man that laid in front of her and he was a virtual stranger to her.

She didn't really know his true likes or dislikes; what made him laugh, what was his major was in college or what was the name of the fraternity that he was president of; did he enjoy running the family business or what were his hobbies. He didn't make it a habit to share anything with her unless it was necessary and she never pushed him for information.

It was her own fault that their relationship had come to this point and as his mother it stung to be regarded as an intruder into her own son's life.

She held his hands in her hers and silently vowed to change that, the minute he woke up.

************************

 "Oh Alise, I'm sorry to interrupt; Dr. Shaw told me that no one was visiting right now." Chloe apologized for intruding and stepped back into the hallway.

"Come in," Alise insisted. "I snuck in for a minute; the place is much quieter in the evenings. I think Zhay is receiving her daily updates from both Dr. Shaws."

Chloe entered the hospital room and stood next to Dax's bed.

"I'm on my way to Corsica for a photo shoot tomorrow and I wanted to see Dax before I left."

"That sounds exciting."

"Yes it does. And any other time I would gladly welcome the trip; but I hate to leave Zhay here with Dax still in a coma."

Alise nodded her head in understanding and stepped out into the hallway to give Chloe time alone to visit with Dax.

"Hi there, Playboy. This is the other Dr. Daniels. What's new?" She asked, kissing his cheek.

"I'm headed to Corsica tomorrow night for a photo shoot, just for a week; so that means Zhay will be alone in the house; unless you decide to wake up and go home."

There was no response.

Moving to the foot of the bed she began massaging his feet; and was happy to find them warm. She smiled. He had been lying like this for 3 months and it was important that the blood was circulating throughout his body.

"Just a few things before I leave, we are running low on Prosecco, sorry it's been that kind of month...well actually it's been a hard few months; so you need to contact your Italian supplier to restock the cellar. Oh, and don't get mad; but I think I may have busted a gear in your Aston, but don't worry I am taking care of it."

Chloe understood the importance of stimulation both physically and mentally for a comatose patient. It was best to keep them apprise of their surroundings and daily happenings.  She moved to his left side and lightly massaged his arms and hand.

"Your hands are warm; that's great. Have you been trying to move them?" she asked him; hoping for a response but not expecting one.

"Listen, Zhay is exhausted but she won't admit it; she is here with you just about all day. The only time she leaves your side is when someone comes to visit you. I think that she needs a break so if you want to wake up today that would be wonderful."

Chloe continued on fluffing his pillows and giving him updates on the latest celebrity gossip. She knew that Dax would find the tales amusing and she hoped that the sound of her voice was reaching him where he rested.

************************

Next morning

Zhay walked into Dax's room and kissed his lips, just as she had every day for past few months. She finally felt brave enough to leave his side overnight for some rest. But she still would sit with him for 12 plus hours at a time. She planned to arrive midmorning allowing Alise, Barron and Rosie their private time with him; because when she was there, she wanted him all to herself.

"Good morning gorgeous!" Zhay beamed, "Today is a good day I can feel it. I made brownies last night, too; see."

 Zhay held out the tray of treats to Dax, "All you have to do is open your eyes and they are all yours;" there was no visible response.

"Come on Dax, I worked really hard on them and Chloe even said that they weren't that bad, this time." She whined and then laughed; he often told her that she was great at a lot of things; but cooking wasn't one of them. 

There was no movement from the patient, but she had promised herself weeks ago to not get discouraged at his slow progress.

"Ok well, I will just put them over here, and it will be your own fault if you let the staff eat them all." 

Zhay plopped down in the chair near the bed and stared at Dax's laying form. She was so happy that he was now breathing on his own and that was a great sign but still she wanted more.

"I miss you so much E, please just let me know that you're ok in there."  She reached for his hands and kissed them.

"You know your long hair is starting to grow on me, no pun intended." She smiled. She knew that he would pitch a fit because he wasn't shaved and his hair was well on his neck, practically dusting his shoulders.

She often teased him about his metrosexual grooming habits and fashion sense.  He was the only man she'd ever met that went on annual excursion to Italy to update his wardrobe.

She became wistful when she remembered their last trip there together. It was the little things that she missed about him and being together. Zhay immediately shook her melancholy thoughts, and reminded herself to stay focused and positive.

"So what do you feel like reading today, dear? I brought, "The Virgins at the Prince's Court" and "Lost at Sea with the Navy Seal. Yes, it's a romantic read day. I know how much you love these. She smiled because she knew that it was the exact opposite. Unless you tell me otherwise, that's what we are going to do today."

Zhay searched for any signs that Dax was cognizant of his surroundings but still she saw none. "Ok, well the navy seal it is." She reached for the book and began reading.

"Oh this is good honey, listen to this." Zhay read another passage from the romance novel and started to laugh. It reminded her of their first unofficial date.

"Does that remind you of something? Remember our first unofficial date?"

 

Flashback

Zhay had been hesitant about going out with Andrew Reid. He was very handsome and smart but he seemed a bit over anxious when she agreed to dinner. They met a few weeks ago at a Habitat for Humanity event and seemed to hit off ok.

But now that she was here with him she wasn't too sure that it was a good idea to date him. They had been on their date for all of thirty minutes and he had made reference to their future at least 4 times. A little presumptuous for a law student, Zhay thought but listened as he continued to ramble on.

She soon found herself half listening and watching the other patrons. Her mind quickly drifted to all the things that she needed to do this week, like laundry, her car needed a tune up and whether Chloe decided to go to New York tonight or wait until the morning.

He must have sensed her disinterest because he excused himself from the table. Zhay sighed in relief; at least she was granted a few minutes of silence. She sipped her margarita, and looked over the menu again. The waitress came over and refreshed their water glasses and left. She sat there and took out her phone, in the middle of texting Chloe she jumped at the sound of his voice.

"Hey darlin' what looks good on the menu?"

"Ethan!" Shocked at seeing him sitting across from her, Zhay took a quick glance around to see if she saw her date, "what are you doing here?"

"Having dinner with you, is the margarita any good?" He reached for her glass and took a sip.

"No, yes it's good...but I meant what are you doing sitting here, I'm on a date." Zhay rambled.

"Oh, that... I told stuffy mc-nerdy thanks for keeping the seat warm, but I got it from here." He smiled.

Zhay sat back and looked at Dax. He was as handsome as she remembered and still as crafty as ever. How did he even know that she was here or who her date was; Chloe?

"Dax I'm on a date; but I'll call you later." She bargained, looking around for her dinner companion. She didn't want to cause a scene and she knew that Dax wouldn't give up easily.

Looking over the menu to meet her eyes, he smiled, "Your date? Oh him...I think he left.

Zhay looked to him, confusion etched on her face; but Dax continued on as if he just told her that it was sunny outside.

"The Pleasure Peak sounds interesting tequila, rum, mango, pineapple juice...I think I'll try that."

"What do you mean he left?"

"I told him that I'd make it work his while if he, um... found something else to do tonight. I'm in the mood for steak what about you?"

"What? You bribed him to ditch me?"

"No I negotiated your release. You were bored to death, darlin'. So I gave him a little incentive to call it a night; he accepted and so here we are on our first unofficial date. Unofficial, because I would never bring you to a dump like this." He remarked still eyeing the menu.

 "Do you want to eat here or go somewhere else nothing on this menu is jumping out at me?"

 Zhay didn't know if she was thankful or ticked off. She simply sat there awestruck that he paid her date to go away and the guy did it.

Dax finally looked up from the menu to see her beautiful cognac eyes staring at him. Since they met at Mason's party his only goal was to get to know her better; a challenge in itself with their demanding schedules. They talked on the phone when they could but his travels to the Middle East, Europe and Asia for the past few weeks made courting her in person difficult.

When he arrived in North Carolina this morning it was for a client meeting; but the only thing on his mind was Zhay. He didn't call to tell her that he was in town, because he didn't want to be disappointed if he couldn't see her. And he had to see her no matter what.

When he called her at home, Chloe answered and casually mentioned that she was out on a date, he knew that he had to put an end to the little cat and mouse game they were playing. God bless Chloe, an easy ally. All it took was the promise that she could use his penthouse in New York and one of his private jets to take to St. Barts, and she sang like a canary.

He needed Zhay to understand that he was very serious about her. His actions tonight may have bordered on the creepy, but he was just that determined to get her to see things his way. He reached for her hands and she readily gave them to him.

"You, Dr. Daniels have been driving me crazy, since that day in the barn. Forgive me if this is too forward for you; but I am not one for wasting time. If I see something I like I go after it, no matter what. I not only like you, but I want to date you; exclusively. I know that we both have demanding jobs but we'll figure it out. I am leaving for Hong Kong for two weeks tomorrow night, but before I leave I want to know that when I come back, my first stop should be here, to spend some time with my lady."

She smiled at him and squeezed his hands, "You always get what you want don't  you, Ethan?"

 "Yes, I do.  And I won't stop until you are mine; all mine, only mine."

Zhay studied him for a minute; he was serious.  She had to give him points for his candor and resourcefulness. She had to admit that she had been very interested in him since Mason's party and enjoyed their chats via phone and email.

"Well I must say, you really know how to make a girl feel wanted. I guess, we're on our first unofficial date."

Dax called the server over to settle the check, "Let's go darlin', let me take you to a real restaurant." He stood up and reached for her coat and she followed him out the door.

Zhay had to admit that he wore his arrogance better than anyone she'd ever met. She couldn't even be mad with him. Who was she fooling? She wanted to date him. He was too cute and it was sweet that he wanted to spend time with her before he had to fly out.  

As they headed out into the brisk autumn evening a thought popped into Zhay's head.

"By the way, just out of curiosity what am I worth? I mean what was the price paid for my freedom?" she smirked referring to the cost of her release.

"Too me, you're priceless." He smiled, opening the passenger side door for her.

"But to a guy paying his way through law school, you're worth all of the money that was in my pocket, which was $1,163." Dax laughed. "And a pair of 14kt gold Lanvin cufflinks."

He stretched the sleeve of his shirt towards her as evidenced that he sacrificed his cufflinks to secure this impromptu date with her.

 "So beautiful, you have to tip the valet at the next stop." He added with a sly wink.

Zhay quickly joined in his laughter and was happy that he did hijack her date.

She watched his confidant stride,  as he made his way the car to the driver's side. She really liked Dax and was already enjoining their first unofficial date.

-------------------------

"Dinner was wonderful, thank you." Zhay thanked, Dax giving him a light peck on the lips, as they stood on the porch.

She was fishing her keys out of her purse when she felt his arms wrap around her waist. They felt perfect there; he started kissing her neck and she was starting to enjoy it a little bit too much. The next think she knew they were engaged in heavy lip locking action and neither seemed intent in stopping it.

"We need to go inside beautiful, it's cold out here." Dax whispered. Though their bodies were tightly enveloped in each other, the chill in the air still managed to prick through the heat emanating from their bodies.

Zhay wasn't sure if that was such a good idea. She thought it best that they said their goodbye's right there; otherwise she would be tempted to engage in other things with him inside.

Dax sensed her hesitancy and took her hands to reassure her that his intentions were genuine and that she didn't have to worry about them moving faster than she wanted.

"Invite me in Dr. Daniels; I just want to give you a proper goodbye kiss without risking catching a cold because I'm freezing my ass off out here."

"One kiss goodnight and that's it?"

"That was the plan, unless of course you want more; because that can also be arranged." Dax replied, smiling at her wolfishly.

"Not on our first date." Zhay countered dashing his hopes of going any further with their kisses.

"Well this technically doesn't count because our date is unofficial; so whatever happens between us tonight is strictly off the record."

---------------------------

Once inside Dax took a few minutes to warm them up but pulling Zhay closer to his body when they got cozy on the sofa. She had offered to make them tea but he told her it wasn't necessary; their body heat was working just fine.

"You are spoiling me, beautiful; I could get used to this." Dax warned as Zhay snuggled closer to him. He was sitting with his feet propped up on the ottoman, while she was enclosed in his left arm with her head on chest.

"So could I." Zhay sighed playing with his fingers.

"I meant what I said earlier; as soon as I am done in Hong Kong; I want to spend some time with you and that includes taking you out on a real date."

She adjusted her position so that she could see his face better.  "Real or not, I enjoyed spending time with you tonight."

"I glad; because I liked spending time with you too." He brushed a light kiss on her lips, mindful of their position on the sofa.

When his warm tongue slipped into her mouth and dueled with hers for dominance, the delicate exchange quickly grew more passionate as their kisses intensified.  

Reluctantly, Dax pulled away causing Zhay to groan in protest. "I should go."

"Do you have to?"

"No; but I think I should."

He wanted to take things slow with Zhay because he was interested in more than just having a good time with her tonight. He wanted many more good nights with her; in the future.

****************************

Present Day

Adam stood in front of the monitor noting Dax's most current stats. His blood pressure and heart rate were hovering at normal levels and his other vitals were becoming stronger by the day.

"Connie, you can sponge him down if you're ready. But I want you to use cold water; it should help stimulate his body by giving it a little shock."

The nurse began her prep work for Dax's bath and Adam left to update his chart at the nurse's station.

----------------------------------

"Wa...wa...wa..."

The stunned nursed stumbled back, not believing what she heard. Her back was to him; but she could have sworn she heard him mumbled something.

She checked him over, but found that he was still lying just as he was when she first entered the room. She watched him for a few seconds then concluded that he was still asleep.

Dax had grown accustomed to hearing the voices around him. The sounds would fade in and out but there was one that was always constant.

He wasn't sure of his surroundings but it felt as if an anchor was weighing him down; and he was in a struggle to free himself with all his might.

"Wa...wa...wa..."

This time there was no mistaking it. Their patient was waking up; his eyes were fluttering and he was trying to move his arms.

"Dr. Shaw...." Nurse Lake yelled, "Dr. Shaw... He's waking up."

-------------------------------------------------

"Relax Dax; I need you to calm down. Please don't try to talk or move." Adam reasoned, "If you can understand me please just blink your eyes for me."

Dax turned towards the voice of the doctor who was speaking and began rapidly blinking his eyes. It was still hard to focus, but he could clearly make out the astonished expressions of the medical staff that now surrounded his bed.

----------------------

"Adam, please I need to see him." Zhay pleaded attempting to rush past Dr. Shaw.

When she saw the flurry of activity at his room when she stepped of the elevator; she panicked. As a doctor she knew that it could only be one of two things. He was awake or he succumbed to his injuries.

"Zhay wait...We still need to run some tests." Adam reasoned; he also needed to tell her about his condition; but it was too late.

"Dax..." she rushed out, unable to curb the emotions that flowed out. He looked over to her at hearing her call his name but didn't say anything.

Dr. Shaw quickly spoke, "Dax I'd like you to meet the woman who has been managing your care as well as the other victims from the tower collapse."

Zhay looked from Dax to Adam and then back to Dr. Shaw.

"This is Dr. Daniels. She should be commended for putting together such fine medical team. Now that you are awake; we can say that we were successful in saving all of the tower victims."

"Dr. Daniels," Dax rasped. "Thank you." His voice was hoarse from months of not talking and he was still very weak.

Zhay couldn't not immediately respond; she only stared at her husband in disbelief.

"Of course; that's what we are here for. How are you feeling?" Tears building on her lids, but she knew that now was not the time for them.

Dax smiled weakly, and replied softly, "Like a building collapsed on me."

"Dr. Daniels can I see you outside for a moment." Adam asked, pointing out into the hallway; so that they could speak privately.

Zhay nodded at Adam and started for the door with him. She turned around to look at Dax but he was already talking with Dr. Shaw.

Adam took a hold of her arm and led her out of the room. She wasn't through the door fully before her body started shaking with sobs.

"Ssshh....he's alive honey; that's the most important thing."

Hearing that only made Zhay cry harder. As a doctor, she knew too well that any type of amnesia was not a good thing. It could take patients months or even years before they fully recovered, if ever. In medical school they studied many cases where patients never regained any memories of their former life and knowing that broke her heart all over again.

"Don't think it; he's going to get his memory back. You have to believe that." Adam soothed rubbing her back.

End Notes:

Thank you for reading and I appreciate the comments. Forgive errors etc, enjoy!

Chapter 12 - I'll marry you, on one condition... by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

Thank you readers for sticking with me and this story. your comments and feedback truly help.

 

Each moment in darkness was a hushed torment that he was unable to escape. His only reprieve was the sound of her words soothing his anxious soul. Her voice seemed to come from far away; telling him that she missed him, she loved him and that he would be ok. It was the sweetest siren that his ears ever heard. Her voice. Each day that sound was the life line needed to lure him back to daylight.

Dax couldn't recall seeing any white lights, a room filled with people or any other trappings of the afterlife, for that matter. He only felt as if he had fallen into a dreamless state and then woke up the same, as any other person would, go to bed on any given night. The only difference for him was that he couldn't not remember who he was, where he was or the life that was his.

Dax woke up suddenly and scanned the room; unsure of what it was he was hoping to seek out. His eyes landed on the young doctor, he faintly remembered having a brief exchange with days before.

Waking up had been a whirlwind affair. He met with at least a dozen doctors; and had been subjected to countless examinations. The last thing he remembered, before taking some pain medication and drifting off to sleep, was the sight of the beautiful female doctor holding his hands and telling him that she was so happy that he was awake.

-----------------

"Where am I?"

"You are at Mercy Hospital."

"Who am i?" rubbing his hands over his face, Dax was making sure that he was fully awake this time.

"Your name is Ethan Daxton, but everyone calls you Dax. You were injured in a building collapse and you've been in a coma for the past three months. You woke up a few days ago but you've been in and out ever since."

That news should have shocked him but it didn't. He searched his mind for anything related to a building collapse but nothing surfaced.

"Three months? That's not good is it?"

"Well you're awake now and talking, so that is a moot point." Adam reassured, "Despite your amnesia Dax, I am concerned about the fact that you are able to move your upper extremities but not your lower."

"Are you saying that I am paralyzed?"

"We haven't ruled anything out yet; but I want you try to move your legs?"

Dax attempted to move them but saw no movement; Dr. West observed the same and moved to the bottom of the bed and began pushing against the balls of his feet.

"Can you feel my hands here?"

"Not really; but I do feel warmth there."

"This is rather encouraging; you have full use of your arms; though only minor sensations in your legs. I believe that the paralysis may only be temporary. But I want run a few more tests; just to be sure."

Just then Doctor West Sr. and Zhay entered the room.

Zhay's eyes met Dax's and she quickly averted them, lest she broke out in tears yet again.

"And how is our patient this morning?" Charlton asked, attempting to break the tension in the room. "You many not remember meeting me but I am Dr. Charlton West, your Neurologist and this is Dr. Daniels; she has been managing your care."

Zhay offered a half smile and quickly moved to the side of the room to read the latest updates to Dax's charts.

"I remember you both; and I am feeling much better than yesterday; I still have the headaches and I can't move my legs but I don't feel as groggy as I did before."

"Well that is great news." Charlton exclaimed. "Dr. West, Dr. Daniels a word."

The three doctors stepped out into the hallway to hold a mini POW wow.

"So you think it's best too, not tell him everything right now?" Zhay asked, though she still was not sure that this was the best cause of action.

"No, not in his case. He has experienced tremendous trauma and I think that his memories should come naturally and not forced. I know that is not what you want to hear, Zhay; but I think that is what's best." Charlton offered, pulling her close for a fatherly hug.

"I respect your opinion Dr. Shaw and...I..."

"Listen honey, in some cases it's a matter of days or weeks and then everything just simply falls into place. The memories can come flooding back in no time. I know that this is hard, but you have to be patient." Adam assured, hoping that the tears he knew were on the verge of spilling didn't make an appearance.

"I know that you are both right; it's just so hard. I've waited for him to wake up and now that he is... it's..."

"I know that this can't be easy; but you have to be brave, to face this challenge with Dax. Imagine what it is like for him?" Dr. Shaw had a point. Zhay told herself from the night of the building collapse that she had to be strong for him; and that was exactly what she intended to do.

"You're right. Getting him back to the old Dax is the most important thing."

*******************************

Zhay snuck quietly into Dax's room and took her seat next to his bed, just as she had every morning before he woke up. She eased down into the bed next to him and watched him as he slept. Since waking up she was no longer afforded moments like this. Once the news spread around the hospital that he had emerged from his coma, the floor he was now on morphed into a circus.

Zhay stroked his arm, as she stared at his sleeping form; it was hard to believe that this was the Dax that she lost over a year ago; or the Dax who could have easily been killed in a bulding collapse. She took in the sight of him. The steady rise and fall of his chest, reminded her that he was breathing on his own effortlessly. Seeing him lay their so peacefully, she could think of nothing better that crawling into bed with him and snuggling up next to him.

Though she was more than thankful that he was now awake; she missed their private times together. It was nearly impossible now to have any time with him, without someone intruding; she knew that everyone was simply doing their job, but still some part of her wanted her Dax all to herself.

Dax. She took in all of his features and considered each one. He seemed so foreign yet familiar to her. It wasn't because of his obvious amnesia that he seemed unrecognizable; but it was related more to his physical appearance.

Gone was his slight tan that lingered year round, only to be replaced by a pale dull hue. He had lost a significant amount of weight; which made him appear to be much younger than he was. And the look in his eyes, his beauty sea foam eyes, told the story of a man who was hurting more mentally than physically.

Combing her fingers through his limp hair, she recalled the frantic call she received from Claire, telling her that Dax had been injured. Her heart broke into a million pieces that night; especially when the doctors told her that they did not expect him to make it through the night. But here they were, three months later and he was quite alive; despite his injures. She quickly kissed his forehead in thanks, as she thought about what could have been.

Standing there watching him sleep, Zhay wanted nothing more than for Dax to wake up and call for her. But that didn't happen. When he woke up briefly days ago and couldn't remember his own name, she thought that he rworld had shattered around her. Chloe was there quickly reminded her that she had to be tougher than she felt at the moment; for him. And she was trying to do just that.

Each time she saw him though, her heart broke; she wanted so desperately for them to be together again and this set back had the potential to derail them all together; lost memories were a hard faction to tumble with. But in her heart Zhay new that she was more than ready to meet that challenge.

"I've missed you so much E. I am holding on to our memories so we can have something to smile about when you are up to it. I know that we've been through so much this past year and I hope that everything will get better soon. You are a wake and that is wonderful." Kissing his lips and stroking his cheek. "I love you so much, you know that? Even when you didn't want my love it was still all yours; and nothing will ever change that."

---------------------------------------

Both Barron and Alise were relieved and scarred when they received Zhay's call letting them know that Dax was awake. But they were upset that for nearly a week neither was allowed to see him awake or speak with him until the doctors could agree on the type of amnesia Dax had.

Barron thought the doctor's requests outrageous and called the Chairman of the Hospitable Board personally to threaten him with a lawsuit, if they tried to keep him away from seeing Dax.

Thank goodness for Rosie. Zhay didn't know how Rosie did it, but she managed to get Barron agree to back off for a few days and give the doctors the time that they needed to better asses Dax's condition.

**********************

Dr. West continued his examination of Dax's neurological functions and was truly amazed to discover that besides the amnesia, he appeared to have normal brain functions.

 "There is no slurring of speech or blurred vision; you have the concept of most things but in your current state you have yet to experience them. It is my opinion that you are exhibiting signs of retrograde amnesia." Charlton surmised.

"What does that mean? Is that good or bad?" Dax questioned.

"Well it means that your memories will surface when both your mind and body are ready for them."

"We sometimes see this grade of amnesia, when our patient has experienced some sort of stress prior to receiving a blow to the head." Adam chimed in still looking over his chart.

"So I was upset about something before the building collapse?"

"We can't be sure; perhaps you were anxious about the construction project. No knows for sure only you can answer that." Charlton advised.

"Is there anything that you want to add, Dr. Daniels?" Adam asked, noting that Zhay had been relatively quiet during the examination.

All eyes were now on her as she stopped making notes on Dax's chart. All eyes including a pair of sea foam green ones that had been staring at her for the past half hour, even though he was supposed to paying attention to Charlton's questions.

She was mute. Zhay was trying her best to not look over to Dax as Adam and Charlton examined him. But it was an exercise in futility and he caught her staring back more than once. She had to stop herself several times from leaving the spot where she stood to rush to his side encourage him that both his memories would emerge and that he would have the use of his legs in no time. But for as close to each other, as they were in this room, they were still miles apart.

"I want a full body MRI done as soon as possible; and full blood work up. I want to be sure that we don't miss anything."

"Sure thing, I'll set up the order right now; that is if you don't mind, taking Dax back to his room to wait?" Adam didn't wait for her response as he breezed out of the room to make his calls.

Zhay wasn't sure if she was ready yet to be alone with Dax. It was silly, but she was actually nervous.

"Finally, I get to be alone with you." Dax smiled playfully. He had been watching her the whole time Charlton and Adam examined him. He couldn't keep his eyes off of her and she had a hard time doing the same to him.  Zhay's stared into his soft green eyes and was immediately tongue tied.

*******************

A week later

Dax watched as Zhay spoke to the nurses at that ICU station and smiled. He thought that Dr. Daniels was stunning and his body came alive whenever she was near. Whether she was dressed in scrubs just like the other doctors; wore jeans and a t-shirt or a black pencil skirt and a wrap shirt, like she was wearing today; his blood began pumping vigorously every time he caught a glimpse of her. Whatever the outfit she wore only enhanced her body, which Dax had been admiring since emerging from his coma; and each day it only had him wanting to see what was underneath. No matter what she was wearing, to him she was his wet dream all day long.

He took a moment to study her face, just then and was instantly stuck on her lips. His lips slowly crept into a lascivious smirk as his thoughts drifted into a sea of lust filled possibilities. He may have been paralyzed but he wasn't dead.

 "So what's the story with Dr. Daniels?" Dax asked Adam as he conducted yet another examination of his legs.

Excuse me?" Adam's head popped up in surprise at Dax's question.

"Dr. Daniels; you know, hot chocolate with the killer rack." Dax made the universal guy symbol indicating that a voluptuous female was in their midst. "She's hot for me."

"Is that right?" Adam asked playing along with Dax's juvenile antics.

"She sure is; she always manages to find some excuse to check me over even when you've done it a hundred times already. I think she just likes touching me. Plus, I get a good morning kiss every day. She thinks that I'm a sleep when she comes in but I'm not." Dax revealed, though he wasn't sure if the kisses were a dream or reality as flashes of his memory tended to drift in and out while he was asleep.

Adam didn't respond to Dax's musings. He knew that Zhay did visit him every morning when she thought he was asleep.

"Damn you just don't see natural quality like that too often; look at the way they move when she walks. They've got to be the real deal right, Doc?" Dax pointed out as Zhay moved between two nurses holding charts.

Adam nearly choked on his laughter when he heard Dax's question. He had to remind himself that Dax had no idea that Zhay was his wife. Because the Dax he knew wouldn't take it too kindly, two guys eyeballing her breasts.

"Umm...I don't really see Dr. Daniels that way. We are old friends; she is more like a sister than anything."

"Ok if you say so, but that pair right there is pretty hard to ignore; if you're not interested in her, then that means that's one less man I have to eliminate to get to her. Good for me then, so is she single, is she married. What?"

Adam swallowed his laugh but continued his examination.  "She is married."

"Damn!!! I should have known that someone would have claimed them already." Still checking out the view that Zhay was giving him, "Is he a doctor, too?"

"No, an architectural engineer."

"Sounds like money."

"He's loaded."

"I hate him already. Older guy?"

Returning to his spot testing Dax's leg, Adam did everything he could to smother the laugh that was bubbling to the surface.

"No, he's your age."

"Lucky bastard."

"He thinks so." Adam smiled, biting his lip.

"Well I guess I must have been dreaming about my good morning kisses;" Dax scratched his head in confusion. "As much as I hate to move on...Does she have a sister?"

Adam did laugh out loud this time. "Yes she does, actually."

"Is she as cute as Dr. Daniels?"

"Well she is a supermodel, so I guess so."

"Nice. Is she single?"

Adam stopped his examination. Initially, Dax's questions seemed harmless, but know he wasn't sure if this was the best approach with regards to Dax's amnesia.

Though they had agreed to keep Dax in the dark for a few days longer until they could assess his paralysis and ensure that there were no lingering affects from the blows to his head; he didn't want Dax to think that he was having a laugh at his expense.

"Dax about Dr. Daniels..."

"Dr. Shaw..." Zhay interrupted, before Adam had a chance to continue.

"You just can't stay away from me can you Dr. Daniels." Dax winked.

---------------------------------

Next day

"Do you remember anything about that day?" Adam asked Dax.

"No."

"What about meeting me before for the day you woke up?" Charlton chimed in.

"No?"

"Do you remember meeting Dr. Daniels before waking up?" Adam moved to stand next to Zhay and watched for Dax's reaction.

Dax looked over to Zhay, even in scrubs and wearing a ponytail she was still beautiful. She half smiled at him, as he searched his mind for any memory of her but he couldn't find one.

"No, I can't remember meeting her before that day. Do we know each other? I mean outside of the hospital." Dax asked her directly.

"Yes," Zhay replied softly, she looked to both Charlton and Adam before continuing. They gave her the silent ok to go on.

"My name is Dr. Zaire Daniels-Daxton, and I am your wife." She didn't mean for the tears that she had been holding in, to spill down her face at that moment. But she had been holding them in for the past few days and they seemed to have a need to be seen.

Dax was in shock. Dr. Daniels was his wife. All this time, she had been sitting by his side he thought she was just doing her job as a doctor. Although he had to admit that she had been more attentive than the others, and this morning he thought that he had dreamt that she had kissed him when she thought that he was still asleep.

His heart ached at the thought of everything that she must have been living with for the past few months; and it had Dax silently fuming, that he was oblivious to the fact that she had been his wife the whole time that he had emerged from his coma.

Through clenched teeth, he bit out, "You have obviously kept this from me for a reason, why share it now?" his irritation clearly directed at both of the doctors.

Hating that he was confined to a wheel chair, he reached for Zhay's hand. Her tears had quiet to faint sniffles, and Dax wanted nothing more than to comfort her, dry her tears and reassure her that all will be back to normal soon. He hoped.

Knowing that this situation had to be handled delicately, Adam spoke up first, "Dax, we were hoping that by telling you this now, that it would help to determine the type of amnesia you have. In some cases a patient's memory can return rather quickly if sparked by the right stimuli. I know how much you've come to ah... admire Dr. Daniels, so I was hopeful that the revelation that she is your wife would help stimulate your recall."

"Dax, we thought it best to not overwhelm you, with information the first few days out of your coma. Especially since we still are unsure of the extent of your paralysis." Charlton attempted to smooth over.

"We didn't keep this information from you with any malicious intent, quite the contrary; we just wanted to be sure that we are managing your care the best way we see fit."

Dax was still in shock from the news and wasn't sure that he had the energy to deal with it at the moment. His only thoughts were of the woman whose hands he was holding.

"Could you two, please give me a moment alone with Dr. Daniels?"

Both Adam and Charlton looked to Zhay for her okay and when she nodded in the affirmative, they quietly got up from the room and left the couple to speak in private. Dax didn't immediately speak, or release her hand. He was still in shock over the news that he'd just received and he wasn't sure what exactly he should say.

"So I haven't been dreaming?" the words seemingly coming from nowhere, surprised him.

"What do you mean?" Zhay asked confused.

"You've been coming into my room every morning, to kiss my forehead and to tell me that you love me."

"Yes."

Hearing her confirm what he thought had been a dream, made him smile inside. Ever since waking up and laying eyes on her he had this unexplained pull to her. Sure he thought that she was gorgeous and he flirted outrageously with her; but it was something else. He felt it every time she touched him under the guise of a medical examination. And her soft tender kisses offered so much, in their brief assail on his senses each morning; how could he not remember her.

"Dr. Daniels..."

"Zhay," she interrupted. "Please say my name; I've missed hearing you say it."

"Zhay," Dax whispered, his voice sounding shaky to his own ears.

His eyes searched hers and he saw so much emotion flitting around in them; sadness, tenderness, weariness, happiness, angst, fear, but most certainly love. And it was the love that clearly shone through her cognac depths that had him probing for more answers. 

"I can't imagine how hard this has been for you over the past three months, to manage my care day in and day out, for me to emerge from my coma, only to find out that I have no memories of you...of us...why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"We, your doctors and I thought that it was best to wait and determine your grade of amnesia. You have so much physically still to overcome; that we didn't want to bombard you mentally. We had to be sure that you were 100% free of any lingering neurological conditions; some amnesia patients can suffer traumatic episodes when they realize that they can't recall significant memories in the life. I didn't want that to happen to you. That's all."

Dax thought on her response for a moment but was not satisfied with her words.

"I can understand the doctors need to keep me in the dark...but for you as my wife...this could only have been the worst type of torture for you. Caring for me every day; knowing that I had no idea who you were...I just hate that..."

"You're alive and that's the most important thing." Zhay cut off, holding his hands tighter and truly meaning what she said.

"No, your feelings are very important to me, Zhay." Dax's words startled her a bit; but as his cool green eyes met hers, she knew that he meant them.

"I may not be able to recall memories of our life together, just yet; but the moment that I saw your tears, it felt as if I was suffocating; I get the feeling that your tears are my kryptonite." He smiled at her and she returned it.

 "I cannot remember most things, but I know that I never want to see you hurt." He took her hands and kissed them softly, and then placed them so she could feel his heart beating. "I can feel it, right here."

 "And whether you want to admit it to me or not, I have to imagine that it hurts you to know that I don't remember you or us."

"Dax..."

"I know, getting me better is the goal; but not at the risk of sacrificing your happiness. You are my wife and correct me if I am wrong; but there should be no secrets between us, right?"

"Right." Zhay smiled, through fresh tears.

"No more tears and no more secrets; no matter how hard you think the truth will be for me to hear, you'll tell me from now on; agreed."

"Yes."

"Good; now that we've cleared that up. Can you sit and have lunch with me? Besides being hungry, I have a million questions that I want to ask you."

"I'd like that very much."

Zhay picked up his file and released a breath that she didn't realize that she was holding. She thought that Dax took the news much better than she expected and she was surprised that he was more concerned about her feelings than his own. She smiled at that; her Dax was in there somewhere.

----------------

Flashback 5 years prior

"What are you doing?" a groggy Zhay mumbled; still sleepy from a whirlwind weekend that started in New York and ended in Madrid? She wasn't quite sure where they were.

"Watching you sleep. I am trying to take as many memories of you with me to Dubai, next week." Dax replied, still combing his fingers through Zhay's thick chocolate tresses.

"I love the way your hair feels; it's like cotton candy and silk wrapped into one."

"Take a picture; I think it would last longer." Slapping his hands away, Zhay pulled the sheets higher over her head; trying to get a few more Zs in before they took off for home.

"I took one already." He picked up his cell phone and slipped it under the covers; he flipped it on to show her the picture.

 "Dax!!" Zhay screamed. "You took a picture of me sleeping nude?"

"No of course not...just topless." He smirked, quickly moving to avoid the pillow that Zhay threw at him with the intentions of hitting his head.

"Delete it!"

"No. I love it. These tits are golden." He grinned, ogling the picture of her bare breasts on his cell phone. "And seeing them every day is going to help get me through a very lonely week in Dubai."

A very naked Zhay jumped off the bed and began chasing an equally naked Dax around the room.

"Come on, what if someone else sees it?" Zhay reasoned.

"Who would see it? It's on my cell phone..." Dax taunted jumping out Zhay's reach.

"Please delete it." Zhay pleaded. "I would be so embarrassed if anyone else saw it...please."

"Trust me darlin' you have nothing to be embarrassed about."  Dax smirked as he continued to ooh and ahh over her picture.

"I'm serious, Dax."

Ok. I'll delete it; only on one condition, though?" Dax offered, slowly moving to his discarded jacket from last night.

"What is it?" Zhay asked slightly miffed at him for taking a naked picture of her.

Dax opened the small red velvet box that he pulled from his jacket pocket, to reveal a stunning 10 carat, emerald cut rose pink diamond engagement ring.

"Marry me." No flowery speeches or overdone melodrama; just a simple statement, much like the man offering the words; direct, honest and without pretense.

Zhay stood stunned at Dax's proposal. "Marry you?" she repeated to be sure that he had said the words, she thought she heard.

Dax's plan was to propose last night in Ibiza, but the right moment just never seemed to surface. It wasn't until he woke up this morning with her in his arms that it just clicked. He had purchased her ring months ago and wanted to propose every time he saw her; but he knew that she would say it was too soon to take that step.

But lately he found himself longing to be with her more than just a weekend here or a day there; and she echoed the same sentiment more than once. So he decided to put an end to their misery and make their lives together more permanent.

"I can't imagine spending the rest of my days with anyone else. I love you, Dr. Daniels. Marry me."

"I...I don't know what to say?" Zhay stumbled as Dax got on one knee and affixed the fairy tale Harry Winston jewel to her finger.

"A yes will suffice." He smiled looking up at her.

"Yes." Zhay screamed, pulling him to his feet. Sealing the deal with a kiss, that instantly grew more arduous with each caress, both moved with swiftness to the abandoned bed.

"Wait...I'll marry you only on one condition." Zhay bargained with her hand placed firmly on Dax's chest.

"What's that?" he asked, burying his face into her neck, plying her with soft kisses; though he was more than eager to enter her hot spot yet again.

"You delete that picture."

Dax picked his phone up off the bed and scrolled back through the pictures. He took one last look at the image. "This picture?" he asked holding it towards Zhay. She nodded her head and he reluctantly deleted it.

 "Ok..." he sighed, "That's it?"

"Yes."

"You don't know how happy you've just made me darlin'." Dax smiled and slowly began pushing into her.

"Yeah...why don't you show me how happy you are?" Zhay coaxed, wrapping her legs around his waist.

"I intend to...oh and by the way just so you know, I took about twenty pictures of you with my phone. I only showed you that one..." Dax confessed matter of factly, as he popped Zhay's right nipple into his mouth and slowly increased his sexual pace.

"I should have known. What do I have to do get you to delete the rest?" Zhay asked as she reached between their bodies and began slowly stroking the exposed part of his shaft.

"Oh...I think that is a pretty good start to the negotiations, Mrs. Daxton." Dax grinned, loving the feel of her hands sliding up and down on his member as he moved in and out of her body.

"And you are sure that there isn't anything else that I could do in the interim to persuade you to delete them all?" Dax whispered into her ear and Zhay moaned at his suggestions.

"I can do that." She barely got out, loving the feel of Dax's sweet assault on her body.

So lost in their negotiations, they barely registered that the morning had soon slipped by and gave way to the afternoon or noticed the barrage of text messages that chimed on their phones.

Zhay missed Dax's quick move of sending out a text message to their family and friends, that simply read, ‘she said yes!' before he deleted her naked picture.

 

End Notes:

Please forgive all errors and tell me what you think. The feedback really helps me. Stay warm.

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=966