Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It's time for Gabrielle to meet the Whitfields and vice versa.  Does K.C. have a chance to come clean with Gabrielle first or is she walking into a situation she could never have forseen?

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.  




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 40

 

Detroit at Dawn

The sun came up and the sky while not as bright as on St. Sebastian was lovely and the view of the river was pretty impressive. K.C. woke up first and as usual thanked God for the miracle that lay in his arms as he stroked his hand over her soft skin.

Gabrielle felt a caress on her bottom and snuggled against her warm bed wanting to sleep a few minutes more and then her eyes flew open, she looked at her alarm clock and jumped out of bed in a panic.

“Oh my God it’s eight o’clock why didn’t you wake me?” she cried running to the drawer to pull out her underwear, and then to the closet to grab her dress and shoes.

He leaned his head against his hand as he watched this flurry of activity, his legs moving restlessly when she bent at the closet, the view of her bottom and neatly framed nether lips making thought impossible for a few minutes.

K.C. deep thinker

She was so beautiful it hurt to look at her sometimes and he knew he would never get tired of seeing her whether clothed or deliciously naked her brown skin luminous in the morning light.

“I did wake you again at six remember and this time you crawled all over me. It’s not my fault you fell back asleep.” He reminded her evenly and she stopped moving.

“I’ll never be able to wash my hair and get it dried in time.” Rielle said a little deflated as she draped the clothes on her side of the bed and he got up.

“You washed your hair yesterday and it looks beautiful. Now we can either go take a shower in which case I’ll probably have you plastered up against the wall or you can move your clothes from the bed before I wrinkle them, I need sustenance until brunch woman.” K.C. told her leering at her breasts.

They rushed into the shower an hour later and while K.C. was dressing in a grey suit, light blue shirt with a striped burgundy tie he tried to broach the subject of his mother.

“Gabrielle there’s something I need to tell you about my Mom.” He began after taking a deep breath knowing he had left this until the last minute.

It also didn't help that he was subjected to Gabrielle running around in all of her half naked glory. Damn he loved the body on this woman he thought knowing he was getting distracted and horny. This was not the right time for him to be thinking with his cock.

Getting dressed“Unless you’re going to tell me your Mom is secretly a racist I’m not sure now is a good time K.C.” she said slathering her legs with lotion.

“No my Mother is not a racist. I would never subject you to that kind of behavior after Tiffani the psycho bitch.”K.C. said irritably.

He was becoming distracted from watching Gabrielle as she slithered into the just above the knee length dress and shoved her feet into black peep toe pumps.

“Then whatever it is I guess I’ll either find out for myself or you can tell me when we come back up.” She told him reaching up to kiss his cheek before running into the bathroom to put on some makeup.

Half dressedK.C. thought about it for the length of time it took her to fix her face and spray on her perfume and he decided he couldn’t do as she asked.

“Gabrielle I think you should know that my mother is from St. Sebastian.” He told her the minute she came out of the bathroom.

She was putting in her earrings and ran her brush through her hair quickly half listening to what he had said.

“Your mom is from… wow. Okay that’s not a bad thing. Do you think my parents know her?” Rielle asked curiously grabbing her black purse off the bed.

“She left the island a long time ago so I’m not sure.” He said frowning at that possibility.

As it was they arrived downstairs twenty minutes early and Gabrielle realized that she had forgotten the gift that she had bought for Mr. and Mrs. Whitfield.

K.C. had assured her that she would love the gold bracelet that closed with a dragonfly and his dad would love the blue rhodium plated silver cufflinks shaped like levels she had found.

They had just given their names to the maitre d and she insisted on going back up to the room to get the gifts.  

Gabrielle grabbed the bag off of the desk next to K.C. laptop shaking her head wryly before she left the room again. She held the small black bag with a gold anchor in the same hand as her black clutch and the logo of the jewelry store Gold Coast Jewelers seemed to have caught the eye of the beautiful tanned woman who was sharing the elevator with her.

“They make lovely jewelry. They are one of the premier jewelry makers on the island of St. Sebastian.” Rielle said trying to be a good ambassador as the woman continued to stare at her bag.

“I could give you the website if you’d like. They’ve been in business over fifty years and are very reputable. I understand they now do a lot of online business.” She offered helpfully and the other woman’s brown gaze rose to her smiling face.

Angelic smile

Rielle wasn’t an expert but everything on this woman from the tasteful gold and diamond jewelry, elegant mauve and coral one shoulder silk dress, bronze sandals and matching bag she carried in the crook of her elbow  screamed class and money.

Rielle, in contrast was wearing a black off the shoulder dress that she had bought on sale last year along with her black pumps, her hair was side parted and small pearl earrings and a long costume chain  was her only jewelry.

The other woman didn’t respond and even though she was a stranger it was still a blow to Rielle's already shaky confidence. Her smile faded and she kept her eyes on the wall as more people came into the elevator and she was pressed back into the box.

Sad angel Rielle had to remember that she wasn’t on St. Sebastian and not everyone was so willing to offer information to complete strangers.

She came out of the elevator and made her way to the bathroom in the restaurant putting her bags on the counters before she washed her clammy hands and the woman came into the granite and glass bathroom.

Rielle dropped her eyes and turned to dry her hands under the air dryer when the woman spoke.

“I would really like that website if it’s not too much trouble.” She said softly with a smile.

Gabrielle met her friendly gaze and the smile that K.C. said could warm the hardest heart came back to her face.

“I’ll write it down for you. Do you have a piece of paper?” she asked politely.

The designer bag was opened and Gabrielle couldn’t help it.

“I love the leather they use, it is so supple. I bought two bags  for my mother about five years ago and she carries one of them almost every day.” Rielle said as she took the business card and wrote the address on the back in her fairly neat handwriting.

Another guest came in to use the facilities in a pretty pink suit and pearls and she barely looked at the two women who went out into the sitting area.

“Your mother is very lucky to have such a generous daughter.” The older woman said and Rielle shook her head.

“No, I’m the one who’s lucky. My mom is the strongest person I know and after almost losing her a few years ago I try not to take her for granted.” She answered tucking her hair behind her ear.

Seeing the solemn look on the lovely young woman’s face made her remember her own mother who had lived to a ripe old age, Miss Ramona as everyone in the senior center had called her had been a cantankerous woman who took no prisoners or nonsense.

“I think I called it right the first time. You seem like a nice young woman and your parents must be very proud of you. I wish my son could find someone like you instead he’s involved with someone his father and I think just won't be right for him.” She confessed conspiratorially.

The clear green eyes blinked and she realized she had said too much as she took the card back.

“Someone looks like they’re getting a nice gift.” She said quickly and Rielle sighed.

“I’m meeting my boyfriend’s parents for the first time. I actually have something for both of them and I just hope they like them.” Rielle confided worriedly looking down at the bag.

“Why wouldn’t they, I’m sure you have lovely taste.” The older woman said hoping to boost the girl’s confidence.

Her clothes weren’t designer but she was lovely and showed a sexy youthfulness without being too in your face sexy like some of the young women who left nothing to the imagination at all.

“It’s not just them liking the gift I’m worried about. I want them to like me too. I’m African American and Puerto Rican and he’s not and I'm afraid that my being in love with him won't be enough for them to get past my race. My boyfriend doesn’t have a problem but some people can’t seem to get passed the color issue.” Rielle said delicately and saw the other woman nod in understanding.

“I see your dilemma. Has your boyfriend said anything to indicate that his parents won’t like you?” she asked and Gabrielle shook her head as the same woman came out in her pink Chanel suit and staid heels.

She saw the two women sitting in the anteroom and her nose was so high in the air she nearly tripped much to the amusement of Rielle and her new friend.

Frederika

They looked at each other and the merriment she saw in those warm brown eyes made her burst out in laughter but it was broken up when a cell phone began ringing.

“Oh shoot I’m being summoned by my husband. It was nice to meet you my dear and good luck with the future in-laws. You're a beautiful young lady and any mother would be happy to have her son love you, just be yourself.” She said wisely leaving Rielle to face her fears.

The other woman had given her some good advice. K.C. had fallen in love with her just as she was and she could only pray that his family would be able to accept her.

She took several deep breaths and said to herself, ‘They’re only people. You’ve talked to people before. Just pretend this is one of your students’ parents.’ Rielle walked up to the maitre d with a confident smile and gave her name and the name of her party.

“Right this way Ms. Hall. They are waiting for you.” He said with a polite smile.

Rielle didn’t see the admiring looks sent her way she kept her gaze on the back of the man’s head as she followed him in the well lit room. She finally caught a glimpse of K.C.’s tall figure and another blond head next to him which she assumed to be his father.

Sexy K.C.

He must have sensed her approach because he turned his head and she responded to the smile on his face with one of her own and his father seeing that he had lost his attention followed his gaze.

Colton Whitfield was not surprised that the young lady was beautiful it was the least of what he expected but he also noted the look on her face. She was definitely in love with K.C. and he looked down at his wife, Frederika had been dreading this meeting but she needed to see this.

“Rika look at this.” He said in a low voice and she glanced up at her husband.

She didn’t like the way that sounded and peered around her husband from her seated position and she didn’t see anyone so she stood too. It was then that she saw the young lady that she’d been talking to in the ladies room and she smiled at her with encouragement not really registering that the maitre d had stopped at their table for a reason.

 

ColtonRielle saw a handsome, slim blond man  and  the woman from the restroom who she took as a business associate. She smiled at the group trying not to look around for K.C.’s mother as he drew her to his side.

“I thought you just went to get the presents and was coming right back.” He whispered against her hair.

“I did but then I met this lovely lady after I went to the powder room.” She said smiling at the beautiful woman.

“So the two of you have met already?” he asked a little surprised.

“Yes K.C. we did. I was giving her some advice…” Frederika Leon-Whitfield replied and frowned at the confusion on her oldest son’s face.

“K.C. maybe you should just introduce us.” His father said quietly.

Dread was beginning to fill Frederika as she noted his arm about the young woman’s waist and it was confirmed with her son’s words.

“Mom, Dad I’d like you to meet Gabrielle Lopez-Hall. Gabrielle these are my parents, Frederika and Colton Whitfield.” He said looking first at his father  solemn look and then his mother’s pained expression before he glanced down at Gabrielle’s shocked face.

She looked at the handsome and obviously interracial older couple before dragging her confused gaze back to K.C.

“This is your mother?” she asked in a barely recognizable voice as her legs began to tremble.

Rielle felt a cold sweat break out all over her body as she remembered the things she had revealed to this woman in her vulnerability and the things Frederika had said about her son’s girlfriend.

K.C. saw the disbelief on Gabrielle’s face and realized that they were beginning to get curious stares from the other restaurant patrons.

“Yes, remember I was trying to tell you something about my Mom?” he asked gently with a small smile and she nodded absently.

“Son, maybe we should all sit down?” Colton suggested trying to steer Frederika into her seat.

She was realizing that she had been talking to her son’s girlfriend and badmouthing her to her face. Oh dear God this could not be any worse as the girl – Gabrielle began to look a little ill.

“I think it would be better if we went up to our suite and had something sent up.” Frederika finally said watching as the young woman actually looked like she was going to faint.

Colton looked down at his beautiful wife seeing the strain that was on her face and frowned wondering what was going on. She had been fine a few minutes ago and even whispered to him that she had met someone interesting who she wouldn't mind K.C. meeting and now she looked strange.

Her own legs were weak as she realized the huge faux paus she had committed speaking to the other woman so freely when she had been ignorant of her identity and felt ill herself. From the look on K.C.'s face when he had introduced Gabrielle to them it was obvious that he was very much in love with her.

  Worried Frederika                         

She had never seen that look on his face before with any of the other women he had dated and certainly not with Tiffani Hudson who was a nasty piece of work.

Frederika sat back down in her seat heavily when she realized that she could lose her son if the other woman decided to tell K.C. what she had said.

Rielle did feel faint as it dawned on her that K.C. had put off telling her something that would have eased her mind.   






Chapter End Notes:
The truth is finally out. Will Gabrielle be able to handle the truth and will she blow Fredrika out of the water with what was said? K.C. is going to have some big time explaining to do.