Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Present day
    Kara came in with Mackey an hour later, after I let her know that Lydia was awake.  Her entire face was one big smile when she saw her daughter.
“Oh praise God,  I am so glad to see your eyes open.”
“Hi Mom,” Lydia said with a weak smile.
“Momma, momma,” Mackey said as she clapped her hands together as Kara passed the baby to me.
“Yes, your mommy is awake.” I said as I kissed my little girls round cheeks.
She smiled at me as I held her for a second before I put her down to kiss her mother’s cheeks while Lydia traced her fingers over the little girls nose.  She smiled at the baby and her mother as the tears came again.

 Kara had not been able to make Logan’s funeral because she had been out of the country.  There was no way she could have gotten back by the time we buried him.  Later, I thought I had been selfish for burying him so soon though Kara had insisted she would remember her grandson as the sweet little boy he had been.  I smiled at her across the bed as she looked at me.  I bounced my daughter on my knee as she smiled up at me.  Her short dark curls lay softly against her head, while I touched them gently before she leaned against my chest.  I sighed deeply, I had to think about who I had in my life, and not dwell on the past though it was hard.  I was not grieving for my son very well.

“How are you?” Kara asked as she put her full attention back on her daughter.
“Better, though I am sore all over they say I am looking better.  They say it could be another week before they let me go home.  She bit her lip, I knew her thoughts had wandered to Logan again.  Cassie and Dean had gone to our house to put Logan’s things in the attic so the reminders weren’t all over the house.  Of course, neither I nor Lydia would ever forget our eldest.  
{Flashback-Logan’s birth}
Lydia went into labor one week early while we were in the movie theatre.  She had squeezed my leg so hard I almost jumped out of my seat.  
“Sam,” she said calmly despite the pain that had shot through my leg.
“Yes,” I said in a whisper as I saw the fear in her eyes despite the darkness.
“Honey, my water broke we need to go.”
“Sh*t,” I said as everyone began to shush us.
We got up to leave right away.  At the hospital it was indeed verified that she was in labor so they got her ready.  I paced the hall as I tried in vain to get a hold of Dean.  
“Dean, you and Cassie need to come Lydia is in labor, please come.  Man, I can’t do this alone,” I said into voice mail for the third time.
Dean picked up before I was able to finish the message.
“Hey, um okay Bro we will be there shortly.”
“Sorry if I interrupted something, I know it’s late.”
“Don’t worry about it we will get dressed and be right over,” Dean said with a smile in his voice.  
I was a nervous wreck when they arrived.  Lydia was in with a nurse who was giving her a potential timeline. She looked nervous as I peeked at her through the door.  I was about to go in the room when they walked up.
“How is she?” Cassie asked.
“Good, uh, no in pain.  But…they said it as normal.”
Dean smiled.
“Pain and childbirth go together I’ve heard.  Remember that birthing video we watched when you were in sex ed?  Yeah the one that is supposed to keep you from having sex,” Dean said with a smirk.
I rolled my eyes at my brother.
“Okay, not the time to reminisce.”
Dean laughed, it seemed a perfect time for him.  Cassie hit him in the head.  
“Breathe,” Cassie said with a grin.
“What?”
“Go in and help her breathe,” she repeated as the nurse came out of the room before she went down the hall.  
Cassie and Dean went in with me, Lydia seemed to be calmer.  I sighed as I went to her.
“So what do we do now?”
“Humm, I am going to have the baby, shortly and you…. are never coming near me again,” Lydia said in all seriousness.
Cassie tried to hide her smile while Dean smirked again.  
Before our eyes Lydia began to do deep breathing again as a contraction hit her.  She reached for my hand and squeezed.  The feeling that shot through my arm was twice as intense as when she had grabbed my leg earlier.  I held in a scream.
“Well, will be outside if we are needed,” Dean said as they left the room with a wave.
Traitors

    It was seven hours later before Logan was born.  I was there in the room to put him in my wife’s arms.  She smiled tearfully at him.  He was at least twenty-one inches long with dark hair and eyes.  They let me cut the cord and she held him a moment before they cleaned him up.  The tears in my eyes blinded me momentarily but I was certain I was in love all over again, this time with not only my beautiful wife but also my new baby boy.
{End Flashback}

    After Kara left, I was speechless, though all I wanted was to hold my wife in my arms.  Lydia seemed sleepy as she yawned with a slight smile.  I sighed as she reached for my hand.
“I will be okay, Sam, stop worrying now,” she whispered with a wink at me.
“I am relieved,” I began as Mackey moved in her sleep in my lap.
I picked her up to put her on my shoulder.  She smelled of baby powder, so sweet and clean.  I shook my head as a flash of Logan came through my mind.
“Are you okay?”
“I will be fine, I should let you rest a bit, but I will be back, okay,” I said as I leaned down to kiss her lips.
She stroked my face with her free hand though I saw the tears she held back in her hazel eyes.
“We can do this, Sam, for Logan’s sake and for Mackey,” she said calmly though I could only nod.  I held my daughter close to my chest as I left the room to run into my brother.

    “Hey you said she is awake?”
“Yeah but Kara came by to talk and now Lydia needs to rest a bit, come with me downstairs and you can visit after if you have time.”
“Okay.”
“Where is Cas?”
“Working at home, she has felt tired lately,” Dean said a bit hesitantly.
“Dean its okay, I do not wish harm on your child.  Logan’s death was an accident, the people who did that to my family are paying.  I look forward to being an uncle.”
Dean smirked.
“Okay, I got to tell you I am terrified of being a Dad,” my brother said as he got in step beside me and my daughter.
I was quiet as the yellow eyed demon came to my mind.  Could he have orchestrated the death of my son?  It made no sense, my daughter was a year old my son had been three, the old way of getting to the root of the demon mystery no longer applied.  It was an entirely new game, despite Logan’s gift.  

    Logan’s healing power had been evident almost since birth, though our family was not prone to illnesses it had been a friend of Lydia’s that he had healed first.  She had been over to see him as an infant, but she had a band aid on her arm where she had run into her rose bushes. There were deep scratches on her arm as well.   She held him and cooed to him and as she got up she realized her purse was still on her arm.  When she pulled it away her bandage came off and the scar was healed up as well as the other scratches.  She looked at her arm in shock with no idea how it could have healed over in one day.  Neither Lydia nor I was certain it had been Logan but when a similar incident happened with Cassie we told them our guess about what had occurred.  

    But it wasn’t just his healing that was special.  He was sweet, easy going infant who gave us no trouble.  I wondered how he could die since he had a healing gift, no one had come up with a satisfactory answer.  Bobby and Missouri had both researched the healing gifts and come up empty.  Dean believed it could be a conspiracy though he was unable to prove it.  The more I thought on it the more I wondered who was in the casket that had been buried.  I knew Lydia with freak if I had our son’s grave opened but in the back of my mind, I needed to get to the heart of the mystery.  It would be my fault if my son was somewhere in a research lab being tested because I had been so grief stricken I did not pay close attention to what happened around me.  I had to know.  Dean tapped my shoulder as we stood at the elevator.
“You okay?”
“No man, we have to dig up Logan’s grave.”
“What?  I got a feeling something is not right with his death.”
“Sam, we have been over this.”
“You do not have to go, you can watch my daughter, but I am going tonight,” I said as we stepped in the elevator.

Five years before-the first date
    I picked Lydia up at her house.  She actually lived in a two story duplex.  It was a nice area with green flourishing lawns and children in the street at play.  I wondered how she could afford it but I recalled that her landlord treated her as if she was her own daughter.  Lydia had laughed that sometimes she wouldn’t take the rent from her.  I laughed to myself, must be nice.  I was stunned when she answered the door in a crimson colored short-sleeved silk dress.  I had always thought she was beautiful but the dress looked awesome on her. It fit in all the right spots and my eyes landed in her cleavage.  She cleared her throat though she grinned at me.
“I hope that means you like the dress.”
I apologized for my rudeness as my cheeks flamed red.
“Don’t worry about it come on in so I can finish my make up.”

I walked into the living room, which boasted a sofa, loveseat and two side chairs, plus two end tables and a coffee table.  There was also a fireplace at the end closest to the door and a patio on the right outside from the small hall.   To my left was the moderately sized kitchen and small dining area, enough room for a table and two chairs.  To make up for the small eating area the kitchen had a circular counter where stools could be placed underneath.  I stood awkwardly in the living room as I looked through her bookshelf when I heard her call me.
“Sam can you come here, please?”

I followed her voice down the small hall to find her with her arms up around her neck.
“Can you help my necklace is stuck on my hair. “
“Sure,” I said as I began to untangle her hair from the clasp.
It only took a moment but she was grateful.  She leaned up to put her arms around my neck as my hands went automatically to her slim waist.  I bent down to kiss her willing lips.  Her hands went into my hair and I pulled her closer.  My heart raced faster as the kiss intensified.  I am not quite certain but I do believe her tongue found my teeth first but I was eager to become familiar with her tongue so I didn’t complain.  I could feel her heart beating as my hands roamed her back.  We both stopped as suddenly as we had begun.  She looked into my eyes a bit shyly.  
“You’re welcome,” I said with a grin.
She smiled as she bit her lip.
“That was perfect,” I added.

    She took my hand to lead me to the living room where her shawl waited.  
“We should go to make our reservations,” she said with a smile.
“After you,” I said as I tried not to stare as I followed her out the door.  
The kiss should have been an icebreaker but somehow it made both of us uncertain.  We  were quiet on the way to there restaurant and I felt it was my fault.
“Don’t apologize Sam, I kissed you.  I have to say I thought you enjoyed it.”
I smiled as I turned to her in the dimly lit vehicle.
“I did,” I said before I bridged the gap between us to kiss again.  
This time it was shorter but she grinned afterward as we both got of the car.  I was beginning to like her spunkiness more by the minute.  

    At dinner we talked more about our various hunts.  She had come against vengeful spirits, werewolves, skin walkers, doppelgangers and a few things that I had only a glancing knowledge about.  
“So you’ve been around,” I teased.
“Do say it like that,” she teased back as she looked around the restaurant to make sure no one heard my smart alec comment.  
“You know what I mean,” I smiled.
“Yes I do,” she said with a grin.
Her smile was sweet and I had a desire to kiss her again.  So I changed the subject.
“So um when was the last time you visited your mother?”
“About three months ago.  On the way back from California were I killed a poltergeist I stopped by for a week.  We had a good time, I stocked up on supplies then came back here.”
I didn’t hear the last part of the sentence because I was lost in her eyes.  They sparkled when she spoke, her smile was irresistible. What am I going to do?

    “So Sam the mystery is figured out so are you leaving town?”
I knew I should but I refused to walk away from a woman that I was falling for.  I had done it with Sarah and now I did not want to make the same mistake.
“Well, I thought I might hang around maybe work the state a bit if there is anything to hunt.  Mainly I want to find clues to that damn demon.”
“Yeah?” she asked as she shifted in her seat to lean more in my direction.
“Yes, you wouldn’t mind right?”
“No, I would be glad to have a partner, you know at least for a while.  If you do not mind working with me.”
“No, I wouldn’t mind,” I said with thought of her warm body in my head.
I could imagine her soft round breasts, her smooth skin, her full soft lips, I had to shake myself when I realized she had spoken again.  
“So let’s drink to it,” she said as she lifted her glass of pino grigio.
I raised my beer to click glasses with her.  She bit her lip as she grinned.
“Good now that that is settled I guess we get back to research in the morning.”
“Exactly.”
“Hey, so the other signs that follow the demon are not happening?”
I shook my head, “No, just the mutilations which as we know were not related.”
She nodded, as she stared in my eyes.  Both of us were startled when someone cleared their throat.  It was the waiter who had brought our check.  The bill for two small steaks, a salad, baked potato, four drinks, green beans and appetizer was over fifty dollars.   I had not planned to spend quite so much but I was still surprised when she wanted to pay.
“No Sam, I am the one with the job, let me okay,” she said.
“I will not argue but I will pay half plus the tip.”
She smiled, I was glad it did not turn into a big fight over who had more money.  She accepted my offer with a smile.  

    Back at her place she invited me in for coffee but I refused, my mind was too full of thoughts of our bodies pressed together to be much good in conversation.  I walked her to the door despite my refusal to go inside.  I cradled her head in my hands as I leaned down to kiss her and she leaned up to put her arms around my neck.
“Are you sure?”
“Positive, but I will see you after work tomorrow.”
“Okay, I will come by the hotel after,” she said as my lips crashed down on hers.  
This was the case of the male no, meaning yes, though I did not act on my desires.  Though her tongue traced every corner of my mouth it could find, and I reciprocated, I was able to contain myself and go back to the hotel.  I did hold her in my arms long enough to have second thought about coffee, or dessert which I would have wanted to be her.  When we finally broke apart, I said my goodnight but waited until she was safely inside to leave.  I was proud of my self-control, at least parts of me agreed with my decision.

TBC