Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Present Day
    At the hospital the next morning, I sat beside Lydia’s bed as she slept. The nurses had let me in before visiting hours since they liked me.  I had been up all night trying to decide what to do.  Dean and Cassie wanted me to wait to say anything to my wife because of the possibility that Logan may still be dead. “What if they have only taken his body, and he is not alive?” Cassie asked me.  I agreed there was a chance that they were researching on my son’s body and not on my vibrant beautiful baby boy.  I was torn though I had never lied to Lydia about any thing.  Not about my latent feelings for Sarah or my anger over Jess’ death.  She knew all about me.  Now that it was our family that was the issue I wanted to reveal what I knew.  I had been standing near the window so I did not realize that Lydia was watching me until she spoke.
“Sam.”
I wiped my eyes before I turned around with a smile.
“Hey Babe, how are you today?” I asked as I went to sit beside her bed.  
He eyes were bright as she smiled at me.  I leaned over to kiss her inviting mouth.  She reached up to keep me a hairs breathe away.  I had to remember I was still a very blessed man.  I had my two sweethearts, my brother and sister-in-law.  I had my health, my strength, my love of life.  I had much more than many others.  Why do we always want more?

“What’s wrong?” she asked as she looked in my eyes with her arm around my neck.
I couldn’t lie; I spilled my guts to her in tears.  She looked confused, concerned, and heartbroken all at once.
“He’s gone? What do you mean? Why would they take our baby?” she asked a bit angrily.
“We only know for certain he is not in ….the ground.”
“You dug him up?” she asked incredulous as she raised an eyebrow at me.
“I needed to make sure, Sweetie, it was knawing at me. With his gift how could he have died?”
She ran her fingers through my hair as she looked seriously at me long and hard.  I needed solace, to feel as though my world would be good again after the tragedy.
“I have had time to think of that too.  Maybe his injuries were too severe, I mean he was a baby. He had no knowledge of what was happening.  He had no idea how to control what was going on inside him,” she said softly, her voice full of emotion.
---
    I had thought of that.  But if he were dead then he was being violated if someone had him. He was our baby, he needed to rest in peace.  
“Sam, get him back, okay. Whatever it takes,” she insisted with tears in her eyes.
Now Lydia has always been very brave, though not unemotional, she thought things over and decided on a solution.  Even when she was pregnant she was not prone to many bouts of crying or moping.  It was the part of her that was so like Dean.  She was courageous and her belief system sustained her when I thought she would be bowled over in anguish.  I admired that about her, it was one of many things I adored in my wife, in fact, it balanced us out.
---
    I helped her out of the bed so she could take her walk.  For the last few days she had been up and around a few hours a day.  We would walk and talk as I helped her down the corridors. I let her know MacKenzie was doing good though sometimes she still looked for Logan.
“Our poor little angel, maybe its good she is so young, you know,” she said as she looked tentatively at me.
 I nodded, speechless.  I knew Mackey would never forget her brother, or was I being selfish and putting what I felt on her.  Perhaps, Lydia was right, when Mackey was older we could tell her what happened and she could see it in perspective.  I figured it may take me that long to move on properly.  
---
 I could tell Lydia was getting stronger. She stood straighter and walked faster than the day before.   I knew she was also restless to be out of the hospital.  She was an action figure, she loved physical activity.  We enjoyed sports, swam, played softball, went on hikes and from time to time still hunted.
“Lydia do you think it has anything to do with the demon?” I asked more to myself then her.
“Oh Sam, I hope not,” she said as she moved to look up into my face with fear in her eyes.
---
    Five years before-the wedding  
We never really dated but we hunted together for almost four months before we decided to get married.  I mean it wasn’t as though we were going to meet others in our position.  Admittedly we had run into a few huntresses that gave me the eye but I had no interest.  Lydia would laugh at them if they approached me at one of our hot spots.  Several hunters’ stops had popped up in the Southwest.  We used to tease about the heat bringing out the evil spirits.  Once a woman had the nerve to put her hand on my leg when we were at a bar and Lydia put a stop to that real quick.
---
{Flashback-Bad Seed Bar and Billiards}
We showed up on a Friday night with the desire for two cool ones before we headed back to the motel.  Bad Seed was a new hot spot for hunters we heard about from Ash.  It was in Southern Nevada and not on most maps.  Lydia had gone to the ladies room in a hurry as soon as we walked in.  I sat down at the bar and ordered a “cold one” for me and a red wine for her.  I was bopping my head to the beat when a tall Brunette came over, stopped and looked me up and down.  Mind you, I was not impressed, mostly because I was taken, though she seemed more Dean’s type.  Her short skirt, and barely there tank top was a turn off, not much left to the imagination as far as I was concerned.  She leaned in and put her hand on my thigh just when Lydia came out of the bathroom.  Lydia came over to the bar slowly but there was fire in her eyes.  She looked hot in her tight jeans and snugly fitted t-shirt, I had been teasing her about it all day.
“He isn’t on the menu,” Lydia said to the Brunette who was smiling at me.
“What?”
“I said he aint’ on the menu, lady, just walk away.”
I smiled at the Brunette, it was more of a smirk, before she turned around to face off with Lydia.
“What is he your Bitch?” she practically spat at Lydia.
“No, Honey, he is all man. But hey, lets let him decide.”
“She’s right, I’m with her,” I said as it stood up to my full height with a grin on my face as the Brunette gasped.  
“Okay, whatever,” she said as she stomped off.
We both laughed when the girl walked away.
{End Flashback}
---
    We were staying with Cassie and Dean while we looked for a place.  The timing of getting married was irrelevant since we were getting hitched at the court house.  Dean worked on cars part time when someone referred him.  Cassie worked at home online writing articles. We had lived with them for only a couple of weeks though we had in our minds before that we wanted to get married and continue to hunt.  Dean had hunted on his own since he left me.  Cassie thought it was a good idea since she did not want to get used to him being home all the time when she knew he wanted to go out hunting.  I personally did not find that encouraging, but Dean took it in stride.
---
We were two days from our wedding when Lydia began to have second thoughts.
“Sam why are we doing this, antiquated wedding thing.  We know we are in love why the ritual?”
I laughed as she came to sit in my lap.
“So you want to live in sin?”
“Sin is subjective. I am committed to you and you to me, right?”
“Yeah, I love you very much and I want to prove it by marrying you,” I said as I moved my hand under her shirt.”
She grinned while my hands roamed.
“I forgot you were the old fashioned one,” she said as I kissed her before I arched an eyebrow at her.
“You mean as in the other one, Dean, is not so old fashioned and you want him?”
She frowned.
---
    Dean walked in the room.
“Hey no sex in the living room.”
We both gave him what the hell looks.
“Dean, hello, clothes are on, just sitting here kissing.”
He smirked.
“Clothes on means nothing, believe me, just don’t do it on the sofa,” he said as he headed to the shower.”
Lydia laughed.
“You think he ever has anything else on his mind?”
I rolled my eyes.
“Hey, but he is not old fashioned, marry him,” I teased her.
She stuck her tongue out at me before I leaned in to suck it.
---
    The wedding day arrived full of sunshine and blue skies.  I stood nervously in front of the mirror while Dean looked curiously at me.
“What are doing Sammy?”
“It’s Sam, and I do not believe you don’t recognize that I’m tying my tie.”
“Cute.  I mean why are you marrying Lydia.”
“Simple, I love her, duh Dean.”
I was not going to let him get me down.  The marriage thing seemed to be taboo in the household.  Though Lydia had given in because she wanted to make me happy.  
“It’s life Dean, you fall in love and get married.  For goodness sakes, you said Lydia was the best thing that has come into my life.”
“Dude, Chill it was just a question, don’t go PMSing on me,” he said with a  laugh.
Funny. I rolled my eyes as we headed for the car.  
---
    Lydia and I had slept in separate beds the night before just because I thought it would be nice.  She had decided the whole wedding thing was a sacrifice to make me happy.  I could deal with that.  I knew she wasn’t doing it under duress, she just didn’t see a real need.  Dean and I left the house first while Cassie helped Lydia with her dress.  
“We are gone,” Dean yelled as we closed the door behind us.
---
    At the courthouse we waited a half hour before we heard from Cassie that she had a flat tire.  They had left the cell phone at home by accident and had to walk back home to call. I shook my head, maybe this was an omen.  But I refused to believe it, Lydia and I were perfect for one another.  Nothing would change my mind about that.  We told the judge we would be back in the morning and he agreed since he had an opening.
---
    “I’m sorry,” Lydia said as we came in the door.
Oh its not your fault,” I said as I noticed she had already changed into shorts.
“You were eager to get out of the wedding dress?” I asked with agitation in my voice.
“No, I just didn’t want you to see it until time,” she pouted.
Cassie and Dean looked at one another before they scattered from the room.  
“Hey maybe if you have no interest in marriage we should just forget,” I said in frustration as I looked sadly down at her beautiful face.
I knew it was a bad thing to say but I felt we should have it out before the wedding.
“I do have interest thanks to you.  You know all the time we spent together I never realized how much you wanted normal.  I …guess us being together as hunters, as lovers, as friends, was all the normal I wanted or needed.”
I felt like tiny tim.  She was right, us together was normal, it was good, it was what I wanted more than anything.  How did someone become part of your soul so fast?  I apologized to her.
“No I should say I’m sorry.  Sam its not bad to want marriage, to show the world that I belong to you.  Its sweet and I do want that, I really do.”
She came into my arms before the two cowards came back into the room.
“Now that wasn’t so bad,” Dean said with a smirk as Cassie rolled her eyes.
---
    After the ceremony the next day we went to eat.  Dean and I ate and laughed about old times.  While the girls laughed about them having forgotten the cell phone.
{Flashback-wedding}
I stood beside Dean at the front of the chapel while I watched Lydia walk the small aisle.  She wore a white lace dress that just skimmed her knees.  I fell for her all over again in those few moments. She was beautiful and sweet, I was glad I had waited to see her dress.  She smiled at me when she stood at my side.  Dean smirked when he saw my expression of awe on my face.  When I said my vows I spoke from my heart, as I looked in the eyes of the woman I wanted to spend my life with.
“I promise to honor, protect and care for you until death do us part.  To cherish and respect your wishes as much as I am able.  I love you with my whole heart and more than anyone in this entire world.  You are my choice and I will never forget.”
I could see the tears in Lydia’s eyes as she stood ready to make her vows to me.
“Samuel, I too want to be with you for the rest of my life. To love, honor and trust you with my heart and my very soul.  You saved me from a life of loneliness I pray to not let you down but to kept your love close to me at all times.  I cherish what I have found with you and have no desire for any other.”
Cassie sniffed into her handkerchief as Dean turned away to wipe as stray tear. I few minutes later we were pronounced husband and wife and I kissed my bride.
{End Flashback}
---
“So what are you plans?” Cassie asked.
“She wants to know when we will have our privacy again?”
“That is not it, I just wondered,” Cassie said politely as she glared at Dean.
“We have to check out a couple of places on Tuesday then we decide,” Lydia said.
“We do appreciate you two letting us stay,” I said to Dean.
“Oh Bro, you are welcome anytime, and for as long as you want.”
Sam smiled he knew Dean liked his time alone, there had been so many years that they had slept in one room at the most two it was time they had some space all their own.  
---
    Lydia had found a job as a part time virtual assistant and I was taking law classes online also.  I was not certain if I would ever get my degree or a law license but I liked the idea of going in that direction.  Luckily Lydia had money put away that would last a while.  We were not big spenders, we were happy just being together it had been that way from the start.  Dean had met a guy through a contact at Harvelle’s that had money and wanted to fund our hunting.  I was unsure because the deal sounded too good to be true.  Ellen insisted the guy was on the up and up, then Lydia had gotten a bad feeling about it.  In the end we decided against taking money from the guy, his name was Louis Cypher.
---
    We found an apartment not ten minutes from Dean and Cassie’s little house.  After we had been in it for a week we had already christened all the rooms and the kitchen.  Lydia thought the bathroom was a bit small for sex though I had an idea we would find a way to make it work.  She insisted doing it in the shower didn’t count because by her reason it was like our king sized bed, just right for my tall frame.  

TBC
Please leave feedback.