Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Present Day
    Dean and I set up in my den.  I was on the desktop and Dean on the laptop.  I had cracked the code on the hospital’s computer and gone into the research institute’s database, since the cemetery had been a dead end.  We needed to figure out what was happening at the institute.  We were quiet as we scanned through the different departments.  It seemed there was also a mental institution on the grounds of the hospital somewhere. Dean quirked an eyebrow when he saw the entry.  
 “Um Sam looks like if the projects don’t turn out as they like, they can always send them to the loony bin,” he commented.
 “I saw that,” I said as I tried to get that vision out of my head.  
I hated asylums having been attacked by a ghost who tried to convince me to kill my brother in one; it was now one of my most frightening memories.  Just the thought that something could put thoughts in my head to do a thing I never would have considered totally “creeped” me out.
---
     “Okay, I am sending you a website address so you can help me go through their system.  It looks like the experiments have code names.”
Dean whistled when he pulled up the page and saw how many entries there where.  I was afraid he would be upset but I had given him half of what I had found, there were over a thousand code names.
---
     “Yeah, I know,” I said with a nod.  
We worked through the list for over an hour before I found a web page to enter a code name.  When I entered the one at the beginning of my first sheet, it brought up the condition of the subject, age, gender, race and the experiments they had done on them.  I almost threw up when I saw they were using some live subjects to do research.  I guess I had been naïve to think that donating your body was the only way they could use it; I mean with your permission.  But over the last couple of days, I had found out that signing any papers regarding medical treatment was a tricky thing.  I had been horrified to find that you can lose ownership of your own body if you signed a certain waiver during treatment or exams.  I guess I was still reeling over that.
---
         “Hey you okay over there?” Dean asked when he saw my face; I think I looked a bit green.
     “We have to find Logan, Dean even if he is gone forever I do not want him to go through what they may be doing to him.”
Dean got up to come look over my shoulder.  The anger rose quickly in his face after he viewed the monitor.
“We can go now.”
“We have to figure out where he would be first; we can’t just go in and have a shoot out. We have people who count on us.”
“That includes your son, dead or alive,” he said solemnly.
I knew he was right I didn’t want to get anyone into a panic at my household.
“You should go home, Cas will be worried.  We can go tomorrow night, I will stay up and find exactly where he is first.”
He hugged me but looked beaten as he left the room; my brother loved my children as his own.  I knew he was in pain just as we were.  
---
    I looked up a minute later to see Lydia at the door.
 “You find anything?” she asked as she walked in the room.
I nodded, as she came to sit in my lap.  Her hair was wavy around her shoulders, her light fragrance permeated the space and she sat her warm body in my lap.  She looked in my eyes with a confident smile.
“This will work out as it was meant to be,” she said before she kissed me.
I didn’t hold back as I wrapped her in my arms.  Her hands were in my hair and mine were on the front of her silk robe.  I almost felt guilty as my heart raced at her nearness; I had a goal to find my son tonight.  I shouldn’t be indulging myself.  I broke off the kiss as we both turned to the screen.  She raised her eyebrows as she read over the experiments performed on donated humans.  Most were babies, aborted, assumed dead but very much alive.  Some were the less fortunate, the homeless, the slower individuals, and those with gifts who they had been told they had passed away.  Again they were very much alive.  I read it all in the pages and pages of notes they made on each.  They called them lab rats but there was not a rat among them.  
---
    “If he is in this place, Sam, he is better off dead,” she said.
“I know,” I said as I broke down into tears as she held me.  
I cried for at least twenty minutes before I pulled my self together.  I needed to find Logan’s file.  Lydia and I had decided if we needed to call others for help to get back our son, dead or alive then we would do it.  Bobby was on stand by as well as Gordon who had turned out to be good guy after all.  
{Flashback}
After Gordon’s attempt to kill me, we ran into him one more time.  He had escaped from jail and found us in Missouri.  It was the previous time when Dean had thought about going back to Cassie.  We had driven there but never actually gone to see her because he chickened out.
“Dude, the chicken noises are pissing me off,” Dean said as he went in the bathroom and slammed the door.
I laughed, he was so brave except when it came to Cassie.  Part of me felt sorry for him but mostly I thought he was plain scared she would reject him again.  Eventually I figured he would need to go that extra mile and find out.
---
    There was a knock on the door as Dean hid in the bathroom, supposedly taking a shower.  I looked through the peephole to see Gordon.  I shook my head then looked again, he stood on the other side of the door with a grin on his face.  He looked totally none threatening.  I hesitated to open the door since I knew we were suppose to hate Gordon I mean he tried to kill me.  He knocked again.  
“Sam, Dean I see the car, open the door its beginning to rain,” he said through the door.
I chanced it and opened the door just a bit.
“What?”
“Sam I am unarmed let me in out of the rain.”
“Why would I do that?”
“I come in peace, I need to talk to you two.”
Dean came out of the bathroom to see me talking to the door.
“Dude what the hell are you doing now?”
I shut the door.
“It’s um, Gordon.”
“Why would you open the door?”
“He says he needs to talk to us, he sounds sincere Dean.”
“Hum, let me think, he tied me up, tried to blow you up and surely escaped from jail.  So yeah we can trust him. Duh, Sam, he will say anything to get to you,” he said as he hit me in the head with his shirt.
“Dean, but.”
“No.”
---
    It was the next morning before we actually spoke with Gordon, he had stayed in the room next to ours though we had no idea.  We saw him at the diner when we went to eat.  He came up to the table with a Cheshire Cat grin and sat down in our booth like we were buds.
“Hey guys, I thought I would find you here.”
Dean shot daggers with his eyes at him.
“Okay Gordon we are here what do you have to say?” I asked out of curiosity.  
We all ordered before we had a chance to talk.  Gordon leaned over to talk to me even though Dean was in the middle of the booth attempting to act as if Gordon was invisible.
“So here is the thing, I found out that Sam’s potential to be evil is only a potential.  Not guaranteed, so I thought I owed you an apology,” he said to me.
“Yeah?” I asked.
“Uh huh, something called free will,” he shared with us.
“Guess you learned something from those mandatory bible classes in jail, huh?” Dean asked with a smirk.
“Yep I guess I did, I owe you boys a debt,” Gordon said as they sat down our plates.
{End Flashback}
---
    It was four in the morning before I found any files that looked as though they could be Logan’s.  I had noticed in the last year they had begun to label the files more by date than anything else.  I wondered if maybe the original cataloger or whoever did the data updates had moved on to bigger better things.  There were three files that had similar dates, within two days.  My eyes teared up again.  All three were dead toddlers.
---
    Two years before
After Logan was born we got into a routine at home.  Finally, I felt as though I would have a normal life despite my visions and our child’s gift.  Lydia and I bought a small house with a yard for Logan to play in when he was older we also considered the idea of having another child.  
---
    Dean and Cassie decided to get married around the same time.  After several years in the same town and Dean being on a job for the most part they figured they might have a regular church wedding.  Of course, Missouri flew in to help out with the plans and stayed with them to drive Dean nuts.  He came over daily for me to calm him down so that when he arrived at his apartment he wouldn’t lose it.
---
    “They are driving me nuts, Sam. What am I getting myself into?  You know it’s your fault you and Lydia make marriage look almost fun,” he ranted.
I could only laugh.  My poor brother was having a melt down.  
“You’ll be fine, you love Cassie and Missouri is only her temporarily,” I counseled him.  
Lydia and Logan came in the room with grins.  Logan ran straight to his uncle Dean.
“Hey buddy,” Dean said to his nephew.
“Unca Dean,” Logan said with a grin that showed off his Winchester dimples.  
Dean whirled him around a few times before he took him outside in the back yard to play on the slide.  Lydia grinned at me.  
“He still afraid to go home?”
I nodded as she came into my arms.
“Poor Dean, I think Cassie and Missouri are doing this to him on purpose, I should talk to her,” she said as she put her lips against mine.
I could only nod as she pushed me against the wall while our tongues tangled around one another.  My hands roamed her back but I was aware that Dean and Logan were outside and could return at any moment.  My wife must have read my mind as she stopped kissing me to take my hand and lead me to the bedroom.  The wall was sufficient for the spontaneous quickie she had planned.  I blushed as Dean tapped on our door not twenty minutes later.  I made sure every thing was buttoned and zipped and gave Lydia a second to do the same before I answered the knock.
---
    “All done?” Dean asked with a smirk and an up raised eyebrow.
Lydia ignored him as she took off with Logan to go to the kitchen which left me to be interrogated.  Before I could say anything Dean raised his hand.
“Hey your house, your rules, I don’t need to know anything, besides I can imagine,” he said with a grin.
“Good to know, I guess,” I said as quirked my own eyebrow at him before we went back to the living room.
---
“So um Logan is actually able to heal?” Dean asked as he sat on the sofa and I in the chair across from him.
“Yeah, I mean we found out by accident but it is real.”
We were both quiet as we thought about it. I did not want anyone to know about Logan’s abilities outside our immediate family.  I was concerned that Lydia might have to take him for check ups but I tried to keep my fears at bay.  Lydia understood why I felt the way I did, she with me on it one hundred percent.  The only problem was that since he was born in a hospital they expected us to keep coming back to see them.  He had a pediatrician and she had her OB GYN doctor also.  The doctors were sticklers for babies having all their shots and the like.  Though so far we had avoided it a few times we did not want them to get suspicious of us.  Logan not having any bumps or bruises would cause someone to take notice I was certain.
---
    “You okay?” Dean asked.
“Yeah, sorry just thinking I am not comfortable with Logan and doctors.  They see too much and he will become one of their experiments,” I said with no idea it could be a self fulfilling prophecy.  
“I had that same thought,” Dean said.
“You know I was thinking maybe its time for us to move, I mean we been here a while.”
“I kind of like it here,” Dean said.
“Well you and Cassie can stay.  I just mean if we go some where they don’t know us we could start over without all the prying eyes.”
“What does Lydia say about that?”
Neither of us knew Lydia and Logan had come back in the room.  
“About what?” she asked as she came to stand behind me and Logan went to sit with Dean.
“Moving.”
“Oh you are still thinking of that?”
“Yeah, are you totally against it?’
She rubbed my shoulder, I knew she had gotten comfortable in our surroundings; her and Cassie were close which made it hard.  I would also miss Dean unless they came with us.
“No, if you think it’s what we should do then I am all for it.
Logan got up to try to get Dean to get up off the sofa.  Dean smiled lovingly at our son.  Logan’s eyes matched mine but he had his mother’s full lips and wavy hair, that was cut close to his head.  He was an active lively child that we all adored.
“Sam if you guys move, we are coming with you,” Dean said as he and Logan went back out into the sunshine.
---
    “If you are set on us going to a new city then I am with you,” Lydia said as she came around the chair to stand in front of me.
“Honesty, I do not want to move to often, I want us to have a home but since Logan came into our lives I just feel like we may need to go where they do not know about us.”
“Okay, so we move and he stays home with me and never goes where he will need to give medical information?”
“I know that is impossible, right?”
“No you could just make up a form that says he has had all his shots and we would be fine.”
“You don’t mind then?”
She pulled me up so she could put her arms around me as she looked in my eyes.
“We are in this together, Sweetie, I am all in if it’s what you want to do.”
I grinned as I leaned down to kiss her, I knew when I met her I had found my soul mate, she proved it to me time and time again.
---
    Two weeks later, Cassie and Dean had their wedding at the local Baptist church. We had all decided to move in a month to a town not far from where we lived in Missouri.  There were around fifty people invited to the wedding; most were Dean’s contacts from the auto shop.  A few people knew us from around town, besides Missouri, we had a surprise guest arrive.  It was my mother’s brother, Mark, whom I had located after I married Lydia.  He brought his second wife and two young daughters.
---
At the wedding Dean stood nervously as he waited for Cassie to walk down the aisle.  Lydia was across from me in her rose colored off the shoulder maid of honor gown with a grin on her gorgeous face.  She winked at me when Cassie came out and everyone stood for the bridal march.  I was a bit concerned for my brother until he saw his lovely fiancé coming toward him.  She wore an off the shoulder white silk dress with pearls throughout the bodice and skirt.  Her hair was up except the curls that hung down around her face.  She wore a tiara instead of a veil which showed her nice brown eyes off nicely.  Dean’s face broke out into a full smirk and he seemed to relax suddenly as Cassie grinned at him.  He took her hand and they faced the minister with resolve in his face.  He was ready to finally be a husband.  
---
    Once the wedding was over we went to the reception and partied until dawn, the bride and groom left earlier.  Dean and Cassie were to spend the night at a local hotel before going on a three day honeymoon in Las Vegas.  I watched them as the danced the first dance then I saw Logan out in the middle of the dance floor as he stood to watch them.  Lydia came up behind me with a smile.
“Looks like Logan wants to be next,” Lydia said in my ear.
“Well that is just great,” I teased her, “I had hoped to get you on the dance floor next.”
“There is room for all of us,” she said as she kissed my cheek.
We looked up again and saw Cassie lifting Logan to dance with her and Dean and a collective Ah filled the place.  He was so cute with them, I was blessed to have them all in my life.
    

TBC