Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the one shot sequel to  Desperate Times.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

sam and cassie

 

 

The night that Dean walked away from the house to go to die alone, Sam received a call from him with his location several hours later. With his dying breath Dean called his little brother so he could take his body to be salted and burned. Cassie assumed something was up when Sam walked toward the back door without a word to her.
“Sam?”
“Cassie I have to go, lock the doors I will be back okay.”
“But where are you going? Did…..Dean call or ……?”
Sam nodded as he stood half in and half out the door.
“Cassie please I need to go I will explain it all when I get back okay,” he said a she looked sadly at him.
The tears flowed freely down her face.
“He is dying isn’t he? You are going to get his body?” she said as she slid down to the floor in front of the kitchen cabinet.
Sam didn’t know what to do; he needed to go he didn’t want some wild animal to drag his brother’s body away. He knelt down in front of his sister in law.
“Cassie I’ll be back then we can talk,” he said as he reached to pull her up and into his arms so he could hug her quickly.
She looked up at him he was serious and she had to pull herself together.
She sighed, “Go Sam go do what needs to be done okay,” she said as she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand with a sniffle as she returned to Jason to take care of him.
Sam decided in the end, to not to burn his brother’s body though Bobby had insisted it was what Dean would have wanted. Sam had hopes of finding a way to bring back Dean but he could never find any way to make it happen.

---
Five years later
The room was alive with sounds. The splashing of the water as it cascaded in the tub, the midwife’s voice as she spoke on the phone, the soft noise of a young child playing on the other side of the door, but the loudest yet calmest sound was of the husband encouraging the wife.
He wore a tee shirt with swim trunks in case he got wet. His long hair caressed the sides of the nap of his neck. His eyes were alert to the process that was happening. He was excited but horrified something might go wrong. His arms stroked his wife’s shoulders as she focused her breathing.
“It’s okay you can do this. Let your body do the work, relax I’m here with you, we are in no hurry at all,” he said into her ear as she relaxed against the coolness of the porcelain tub.
They waited for the baby’s arrival in the large spa style tub. The house had been purchased for its size but also for the special tub that was large enough for his long legs and for giving birth. There was plenty of room for Jason to play and to have a couple more kids. Most rooms were large with plenty of windows.

--A year and a half earlier--
Sam arrived home an hour earlier than usual from work to find Cassie with Jason in the bathroom. She was drying the little boy off after his bath.
“Hey,” she said with a smile as she saw Sam standing at the door.
“Hey yourself,” he replied with a dimpled grin before he leaned down to kiss her waiting lips.
“Hey Uncle Sam,” Jason said before Sam tweaked his ear.
Jason giggled.
Sam was afraid what he had in mind was written all over his face so he turned to leave the room after a second.
“So why are you home early?” Cassie asked as she carried Jason to his bedroom.
Sam turned in the hall to meet her in Jason’s room.
“Um, I had some things to do, why?”
“Oh okay,” she said before Jason ran to his uncle for a hug.
Sam twirled him around a few times as he giggled loudly. Then he started to hiccup so Sam stopped.
“Nice going,” Cassie said with a smile and a shake of her head.
“Uncle Sam?” the three year old said with a pout.
“Hey buddy, you have fun with your Mom today?” he asked as he picked him up to take him to his bed.
“Yep, we played at the park and had ice cream,” he boasted.
“Ice Cream?” Sam looked toward Cassie with a sly smile, “you are so lucky, I wish I had ice cream.”
“No, just for Jas,” the little boy said before Sam tickled his stomach.
Cassie smiled from the door after she hugged her son then left him with Sam so he could read to him.
“Good night Sweetie,” she said to Jason before she closed the door.
---
Cassie was in the kitchen when Sam came in the room behind her; she turned and ended up in his arms.
“Didn’t see you there,” she said before her hands went around his neck and he leaned down to kiss her leisurely.
Their tongues battled silently as he pulled her closer to him, long moments passed before they came up for air. Sam didn’t let her go when they were done. He took her hand then led her to the chair. He motioned for her to have a seat before he knelt down in front of her. Her face was a blank when he reached into his pocket to pull out a ring which he offered to her.
“Will you marry me?” he asked.
Cassie’s eyes opened wider if that was possible. The idea that he might ask her to marry him had not crossed her mind. They were getting along well and without words had begun dating. Sleeping together had been a natural result of Dean’s interference but eventually had become something they enjoyed and they were very much in love. Despite all of that Cassie never expected him to ask her.
Sam was alarmed at her lack of response, “Cass?”
“Um, yes of course I will but Sam you don’t have to do this,” she said as he put the ring on her finger.
“I love you, I want to marry you. This has nothing to do with Dean or that other stuff,” he said.
She smiled, “I love you too very much, my answer stands,” she said as she leaned up to kiss her again.
--End Flash—

Sam couldn’t help but to think of Dean as he waited for his child to be born. He was certain that Dean would have understood since he had left Sam to take care of his wife. They had waited more than three years before they became engaged. Jason was growing fast and the explanations about the two of them would have to be answered in time. The most important reason for them being together, however, had been simply that they had fallen in love. Sam had given up hunting for the most part though from time to time he and Bobby would go on a local hunt just because Sam wanted to keep his skills up so he could protect his family. Sam had gone back to school online and soon would have his law degree.
---
Cassie was quiet as she considered their lives. She loved Sam as much as she had Dean. He and his brother had totally different temperaments but Sam often surprised her with this stubbornness and it made her smile. Cassie was proud of him and he was excited about his accomplishment. There were times she missed Dean, of course, he had been her first love and had hoped once they married to have their happy ever after. She concentrated on the good times they shared as she moved on with her life.

--
“Something is happening,” Cassie said before the midwife appeared beside the tub again.
“That’s good, I’m here if you need anything and I just spoke with the on call doctor. He is available if we need him.”
Cassie nodded as she raised her legs.
“Are you okay?” Sam asked as he looked from one woman back to the other.
“It’s coming now,” Cassie said in a loud voice.
Sam stroked her braids she had worn the last month. He continued to talk to her as their baby was born.
“It’s a girl,” the midwife said as she handed Sam the scissors to cut the cord.
“Oh you did so well,” Sam said as he kissed Cassie’s moist cheeks.
She smiled up at him though she looked tired after five hours of labor. She could see the love in his eyes and it warmed her heart.
Her life had turned out different then she had planned but it was all good and her home was full of love and laughter which she thoroughly enjoyed.
“I love you,” she said with a smile.
“I love you too,” he said sincerely just before the baby let out a scream.
“She has a great set of lungs,” Laurie commented.
They both turned toward her as she placed the little girl in Cassie’s arms for the first time.
Sam smiled down at them both and felt fulfilled.
--
He gazed at the baby for a few moment before he did his duty of taking the little one to clean, while Laurie, the midwife helped Cassie. He washed off the little one gently with a baby cleanser and dried her off once she was cleaned. Then he put the tiny infant pamper on her plus a pink tee shirt as she squirmed. The infant had finished with her crying not long after her father took her in his hands. She seemed content with him.
“You're okay Sweetie, your mother is going to feed you in a second,” he said in almost a whisper.
He spoke to her softly. The little girl responded to his voice as she moved her head toward him.
--
In the other room, Bobby was anxious as Jason played with his lego and other toys. He was impatient but he knew he had to wait until the called him to see his new little sister or brother.
--
Twenty minutes later, Cassie was comfortable in their King sized bed as Sam placed their daughter in her arms. The little girl yawned sleepily as they looked down at her. She was all long legs and arms like her father. She had lots of dark hair and long eyelashes, at close to twenty one inches she weighed seven pounds according to the scale where Sam had weighed her.
Cassie looked at Sam with a smile.
“Okay you three, I will see you tomorrow to make sure things are still good as they are today. You did great Cassie. Congratulations to both of you.”
“Thanks Laurie for all your help,” Cassie said and Sam nodded in agreement before Laurie left the room.
Sam left to go out to get Jason and Bobby right away. The little boy’s hazel eyes were as round as saucers.
“The baby?”
Sam nodded as he picked up Jason to put him in the bed near Cassie as she held the infant. Bobby stood near the door as he watched the big brother touch his sister’s tiny hands. A stray tear fell from his eyes though no one saw it as he quickly wiped it away. Sam was caught up in the moment with his family.
“Hey Bobby you can come see also,” Sam said as he looked over at the older man.
Bobby took a long look and gave his congratulations before he left the three of them alone.
“Men’s room is calling me I will be back in a few minutes,” he said as he excused himself.
--
Jason settled down beside his mother and his sister before Sam scooted in.
“So what do we name this little one?” he asked as he watched Jason watch his sister.
“I was thinking Julia as a first name remember?
Sam nodded, “Could we use Rianne as a middle name?”
Cassie pursed her lips she knew he was doing that because she had told him about her favorite cousin named Rain and she had considered it as a first name.
“Are you sure?” she asked.
“I am and it’s not exactly the same, it’s kind of modern too,” he said as she leaned over Jason to kiss Cassie’s forehead.
“Okay then Julia Rianne it is, if Jason likes it.”
They both looked at the little boy as he held his sisters small hands. They asked him what he thought of the name and he smiled.
“I like it,” he said with a dimpled grin, “Baby Ree Ann.”
---
Once inside the small bathroom under the stairs Bobby made a call. After three rings later it was answered.
“Hey.”
“Yeah how did it go?”
“Everything is fine. Your brother is happy and they have a little girl now.”
“Good, I know you don’t like the way I am handling this but they are safe and happy. That is all I ever wanted for either of them.”
“But Dean?”
“No Bobby they don’t need to know I have been back from Hell for more than a year, they don’t need to know any of it. I love them too much.”
Bobby groaned as held the phone, “Fine, I will see you when I get back then, oh will you get the weapons out of kitchen please,” he said with a smile in his voice.

The End.