Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


     Matt Parkman stared at the dated report card, that proved that Bonnie Salvatore a.k.a. Bonnie Bennett, had to be at least 16 or 17. He handed it over to Hank, then looked around.

    “Damon Salvatore doesn’t look that much older.” he noted. Lettie Mae rolled her eyes!

    “Okay, fine, but they are definitely not married! And if he lied about that, there is no telling what else he could’ve lied about!” Lettie said in a no-nonsense tone. Hank took a deep breath.

    “I didn’t like what I saw between them just now. Maybe he needs to be confronted.”

    “Okay,” Julia said, “but what happens if there is a logical explanation for all of this? I mean it could be awhile before we’re rescued. I would just rather not make any waves.”

    Meanwhile, Damon returned from the jungle feeling refreshed. He had fed off of the two women, then compelled them to say that an animal bit them. He stretched. He was now going around shirtless. He looked around and didn’t see Bonnie anywhere. Damon was about to ask around, when Lettie Mae screamed!

    The two women stumbled onto the beach, holding their necks and collapsing! Everyone, except for Damon, ran to them. He looked over at the shelter where the feverish man lay. He walked over there and peered at him.

    The man’s eyes flew open and he looked at Damon and whispered, ‘Vampire’. Damon’s eyes widened! What the hell?

    Damon watched the crowd gather around the two women, as he eased into the man’s shelter and dug around in his luggage. Who was this guy anyway?

    Damon found two things: a wallet with I.D. in it reading ‘Rupert Giles’ and a strange, leather-bound book. Damon grabbed both and hurried over to the shelter Bonnie and himself shared. He then sat down and opened the book.

    It was a Witch’s Yearbook of sorts. Damon paged through it and found a picture of Bonnie in it! Damon quickly hid both items in a compartment in Bonnie’s suitcase, then smelled her clothing. There was another scent on them. One of the passengers had been rooting through Bonnie’s luggage? Why? Robbery?

    As he noticed Lettie Mae’s sudden stare, Damon realized that it had to be nosiness. He decided the best defense was a good offense. He stood up and joined the shocked onlookers. The women had went  off with Hank Lawson and Julia McNamera. Matt Parkman approached him.

    “I need to speak to you--alone.”

    “Where is my wife?” Damon asked instead.

    “Bonnie is right over...” Matt trailed off. She had been with that sick passenger. He began to look around. God! Was she out in the jungle somewhere? And after two women had been bitten by some animal? If only they had found that thing earlier, none of this would’ve happened!

    “Right over where, Matt? THIS is why I didn’t want her ‘helping’ Dr. Lawson. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and find her!” Damon snapped.

    “Damon, wait! We’ll organize a search party, okay? Just wait!”

    “Will this ‘search party’ consist of all the people here that have been telling my wife that we’re not really married? No thanks!” Damon huffed and skulked off the beach and into the jungle. Lettie Mae walked over to Matt.

    “Where’s he going?”

    “Not now, Lettie Mae! Bonnie is gone and we have to find her!”

    “Oh, we have to find her alright! It just hit me that those two women walked out into that jungle with Damon! And yet you don’t see any damned teeth marks on him, do you?”

    Matt’s eyes grew huge!

    “You’re sure? Those women didn’t say anything about Damon being with them.”

    “Would you,  if Damon was the one that had attacked you?” Lettie Mae countered.

    “Damon, right now, comes across as a bit shady, but to say that he’d bite on two women like some animal...”

    “All I’m saying, Matt, is that we’d better find Bonnie before Damon does.” Lettie Mae huffed.

                                                                          ****

    Bonnie sat down against a tree in the jungle, then screamed when two bugs from the tree, crawled down on her! She stood up away from the tree and folded her arms. Why had that man called her a witch? He wasn’t insulting her. He had looked directly at her, as if he knew her somehow. How? And did he know Damon as well?

    Maybe she was being silly. The man was delirious. He could’ve easily called Lettie Mae or even Dr. Lawson such a thing. Looking around, Bonnie decided it was time to get back to camp.

    A rustling noise from behind some brush made her look over in a particular direction.

    “Hello?” Bonnie called out. When no one appeared, she began to walk in the opposite direction...

    A huge polar bear came thrashing out of the brush! A polar bear? Here? On an island? This thing had probably killed that poor man!

    It rushed her and Bonnie screamed, waving her arms about as she turned to run. And it was at that point that the most amazing thing happened: the polar bear flew back and was impaled on a large tree branch!

    Bonnie gaped, just as Damon found her. Bonnie turned to him.

    “Tell me I didn’t do that!”

    Damon stared at the now dead creature. How to explain this to anyone else that came across it...

    Damon shook that thought off. They didn’t have to explain anything if they left the scene of the crime. He grabbed Bonnie’s hand.

    “Let’s get back to camp, okay?”

    “Damon? Damon, answer me! Did I do that?”

    Damon stopped walking and turned to face her.

    “Maybe.”

    “Maybe? What does that mean?”

    “It means we need to get back to camp.” Damon said, now forcefully pulling her along. But Bonnie managed to wriggle free and hurry in front of him, stopping Damon in his tracks.

    “I want you to tell me what you know, now! That man, the one that’s in the shelter next to ours, called me a witch. Do I know him? Do you know him?”

    Damon could hear the others coming in their direction. He gave Bonnie a hard look.

    “Do you want to be talking about witches when the others show up? You didn’t tell anyone where you were going and now there’s a search party out looking for you. There’s no telling how many of those things that you killed, are out here.”

    Bonnie pulled away.

    “Then I think I should let them know I’m alright!”

    Damon suddenly heard another noise. One that sounded distinctly like an airplane. From their position, Matt, Hank, Hurley and the few other men that were in the party, heard it as well, much later than Damon did. Forgetting all about Bonnie, they looked up in the sky and began running back towards camp! There were saved! They were going to be rescued!

    Bonnie finally heard it as well.

    “Is that a plane?” she asked, as Damon almost yanked her back towards the camp! Just as they reached the beach, Damon could see that the plane was not landing and no one seemed sure that they had even been seen.

    “We didn’t have our SOS ready, because we were too busy interfering in a couple’s marital problems.” Hank Lawson said tiredly. “I vote we stay out of the Salvatore marriage.”

    “That girl could’ve been kidnapped for all we know!” Lettie Mae snapped. “Do you want that on your conscience?”

    “No,” Matt snapped back, “but until we find more than a report card, I agree with the doctor here!”

    “More than a report card!” Lettie Mae now yelled. “Like proof that a girl is still in highschool isn’t proof enough! It means she’s not old enough to be married!”

    “Calm down, Lettie Mae.” Julia said coolly. “We’ll get to the bottom of this. But right now, we need to worry more about getting off of this island.”

    Damon and Bonnie reappeared. Damon looked up and around, then at the group.

    “What happened?” he asked.

    “We don’t know. The plane may, or may not have seen us.” Matt said quietly.

    Damon snorted with disgust!

    “Out of all the people lying about and wandering this beach, NO ONE had time to make a proper SOS? I know I didn’t, because I’ve been too busy defending myself against all of the slander...LETTIE MAE!”

    Lettie Mae walked up to him.

    “You have evil in you. I know you’re not married to this child. And when we are rescued, you’re going to jail, hell or someplace. We found the girl’s REPORT CARD!”

    Bonnie raised a brow. Report card?

    Suddenly, Rupert Giles, who had been too injured to even stand, stumbled over, much to the shock of onlookers. He pointed at Bonnie.

    “Witch...witch...”

    He then pointed at Damon and formed a silent ‘vampire’  with his lips, before collapsing into the sand.

                                                                      ****

    Hank and a few others, helped Rupert back to his shelter. Damon began gathering up his and Bonnie’s things.  They would make their own shelter someplace else! If they stayed with the others much longer, Bonnie wouldn’t even be speaking to him!

    And the idea of it didn’t sit well with him.

    Meanwhile, Bonnie wandered over to where Rupert Giles now lay unconscious. Hurley stood next to Bonnie and watched as Dr. Lawson and Julia tended to him.

    “You know, I think he was talking about your husband.” Hurley said. Bonnie tore her eyes away from the scene and looked at Hurley.

    “Pardon me?”

    “I think that guy there was calling Damon a witch. Not you.”

    Bonnie looked away. She knew better. She knew better now. And so did Rupert Giles. And when he awoke, he would tell everyone, and they would guess that that polar bear had not impaled himself.

    “I hope that dude isn’t her husband. Then I might have a chance.”

    Bonnie looked at Hurley.

    “Did you say something?”

    “Uh me? No.”

    Bonnie smiled softly at him.

    “No, I guess you didn’t.” she said, before her eyes focused in on Damon, he was now talking down their shelter. What was going on?

    “Excuse me.” Bonnie said to Hurley, then hurried over to Damon.

    “Damon, what are you doing?”

    “We’re leaving! We’re going to live out in the wild where no one can lie on us. Here, if you could just take that Us Magazine.”

    Bonnie touched Damon’s arm.

    “I want you to tell me the truth: we’re not married, are we?”

    Damon dropped the things he was carrying, then shook his head.

    “No.”

    “Do I even know you?”

    “Yes.”

    “How?”

    Damon decided that the truth would not be best. Not yet. He reached for her hands.

    “Bonnie, I followed you onto that plane because you were leaving me.”

    Bonnie looked puzzled.

    “I don’t understand.”

    “Your parents were trying to break us up. Or at least your father was. Your mother lives in Hawaii. We live in a place called Mystic Falls, Virginia. Your father didn’t approve of our relationship...for many reasons. He was sending you to live with your mother and I couldn’t stand the idea of never seeing you again.” Damon lied.

    Bonnie looked away. She was in highschool but was seeing an older guy on the sly? Her father had hated him too?

    That sounded very exciting! She began to look at Damon just a bit differently.
    
    “Why didn’t you just say that? Where did this ring come from that I’m wearing?”

    “Do you really want to know?”

    Bonnie shook her head. Damon gently reached out to touch her shoulders.

    “I need for you to trust me. We can’t stay on this beach with all of these people that know too much. That man over there knows you’re a witch. I can’t protect you here.”

    “We can’t go and live in the jungle! We’ll be goners for sure!” Bonnie protested.

    “Not with what you can do.” Damon said. Bonnie heard something else.

    “And what I can do as well.”

    Bonnie didn’t say anything about what she had heard in his head. Was he a witch of some sort as well? Is that what Lettie Mae had meant when she said he had ‘evil’  within him?

    “Okay, Damon. I’ll go with you.”

    Damon smiled. That was his good little witch! Damon gave her a few things to carry, then loudly cleared his throat.

    “Losers, I have an announcement to make! Bonnie and I will be living someplace else. We’ll come back when the rescue plane, boat or whatever comes for us!”

    Lettie Mae gave the other castaways withering glances, before she began her tirade.

    “No one here has a problem with this?! No one at all! This man could’ve kidnapped this girl for all we know! Now we’re going to let him kidnap her to the jungle as well? With all of those wild animals?!”

    Matt grabbed Lettie Mae’s arm.

    “Calm down. Like I said, when we’re rescued we’ll make sure the authorities know all about this. But we have to concentrate on getting out of here. You want to see your daughter again, don’t you?”

    At the thought of Tara, Lettie Mae Thornton swallowed convulsively, then nodded. Matt let go of her arm and they all watched as Damon Salvatore and a young woman named Bonnie Bennett, moved off of the beach to make shelter somewhere in the jungle.