Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


     Help did not come soon at all. Damon didn’t worry about it. He began to mentally count the number of people he could feed off of, when Bonnie, who was lying under a makeshift shelter, awoke. It had only been a few hours since she first awoke and revealed her amnesia.

    The sun was going down.

    A man named Matt Parkman, a husky looking guy that said he was a cop, seemed to be the leader. The doctor that had looked everyone over, was standing next to him. His name was Dr. Hank Lawson. Damon had thought he overheard someone referring to the man as a ‘concierge doctor’.

    There was an attractive older woman named Julia McNamara, who kept smiling shyly over at him. Damon smiled back, thinking about when and how he would get her alone in the jungle to feed off of.

    Then there was nosy Lettie Mae Thornton. Damon didn’t like the way she peered over at himself and Bonnie. And he could smell that she was some kind of recovering boozer.  Most people didn’t realize that alcohol took a long time to clear out of the system. And Lettie still smelled like she had been drinking for over a century!

    Meanwhile, Bonnie heard some kind of moaning and looked over to her right. There was another makeshift shelter, several feet away. She looked at Damon’s back. He was wearing a short sleeved, black t-shirt, with black jeans. Bonnie was ashamed to say, that she couldn’t quite remember his name.

    Damon turned around, saw that she was awake and headed back towards her. He kneeled down, peered and checked the bandage on her head.

    “This needs changing. I’ll do it.”

    “Oh, uh, maybe the doctor should.” Bonnie said weakly.

    “I can do it. I want to do it. That’s what a good husband would do.” Damon said, standing up. He could see that Dr. Lawson had left his bag near the noisy guy, in the next shelter. Damon would just borrow the first aid kit, change Bonnie’s bandage, then, in the dead of night, carry her into the jungle, where he would give her some of his blood to speed up her recovery.

    Bonnie nodded.

    “I’m sorry. I forgot your name.”

    Damon kneeled down again.

    “I’m hurt, ‘Bon-Bon’. That’s my nickname for you.”

    Bonnie said nothing. She didn’t particularly care for it, but in her position, there wasn’t much to be done about it.

    “I’m sorry...uh....”

    “It’s Damon. And don’t worry about it. I’ll get the bandages.” Damon said, standing back up to full height. He walked over and took the kit, noting that the man in the shelter looked like hell, then returned to Bonnie and gently changed her bandage. When he was done, he touched her arm.

    “I’m going to join the others and see if they have a plan for getting us out of here, okay? Get some rest.”

    Bonnie’s eyes grew heavy, and soon she was asleep again. Damon rose up and joined the crowd. Julia McNamara smiled at him again, then turned to listen to Matt Parkman.

    “We went off course when our plane fell apart. So it will probably take a little longer for us to be rescued. Until that happens, we should all stick together. It’s close to getting dark, but there are some materials from the plane for more shelters. So everyone needs to pitch in and help.”

    Suddenly, an animal growl, followed by a piercing scream could be heard! People began yelling and a few women sniveled, as the survivors looked towards the area of the jungle the noise came from. Damon raised a brow. He could smell blood! He then glanced over at Bonnie, who was now asleep under their shelter.

    Everyone went running over, as a passenger wearing an eye-patch named Xander Harris, came squalling out of the jungle. He was quite bloody and when he collapsed on the sand, the sand itself seemed to seep up the blood. Damon refrained from licking his lips.  God, what a waste!

    Dr. Lawson was the first to reach him. He then looked up and shook his head. A few of the women began to cry. Damon used his special hearing to eavesdrop on Dr. Lawson and Matt Parkman’s conversation, when they moved away from the others.

    “He was with the other man. The one that’s pretty bad off next to Mrs. Salvatore.”

    Damon rubbed the back of his neck, trying to blot out the smell of the blood. Julia McNamara eased over to him.

    “What could have done this?”

    Damon shrugged.

    “Some wild animal, probably. Maybe some of the men should keep watch around the camp...until the thing is caught.” Damon suggested.

    Julia rubbed her arms.

    “That’s a good idea. I’m sure Matt is thinking that as well. So...how is your wife? Her name is Bonnie, right?”

    Damon, who’s attention was on the dead, bloody body of Xander Harris, and all of the blood he could be ingesting at that moment, forced himself to focus back on Julia.

    “Yes. Her name is Bonnie.” Damon answered, trying to refrain from keeping the impatience out of his voice. He could feel Julia’s interest in him, and he planned to use that in the near future. But right now...

    A heavy set guy named, Hurley, approached them. He smiled apologetically at Julia.

    “Hey, Julia, do you mind if I borrow Damon for a moment?”

    Julia smiled wanly.

    “No, go ahead. I’ll check on Bonnie, Damon. Just to make sure she’s okay.”

    Damon smiled his thanks, then forced his attention towards Hurley.

    “Uh...Hurley, right?”

    “Yeah, dude, listen...that lady over there? Lettie Mae? She’s been telling people that she doesn’t think your wife and you are really married.”

    Damon raised a brow and peered over near the wreckage. Lettie Mae had assembled a small group of listeners, who were peeking over at him. Damon looked at Hurley again.
    
    “Is that right?”

    “Yeah, dude. I just thought you ought to know. I mean I don’t believe anything she’s saying, but, you know it looks like some people are listening.”

    Damon clapped Hurley on the shoulder.

    “Thanks for looking out.” Damon said. Hurley nodded and walked off. Damon gave Lettie Mae a withering glance, then turned back towards where Bonnie lay. Julia was checking her bandages. She then stood up and walked back over to Damon.

    “I actually went to medical school for a couple of years.”

    “Really? What happened?”

    Julia sighed.

    “Marriage. Family...divorce.”

    “Oh.” Damon said, his eyes now on Bonnie. He had actually tuned Julia out. When it was safe, he planned to take Bonnie out into the jungle and force her to drink his blood. He needed her to recover and quickly, if they were going to survive here.

                                                                       ****

    NEXT DAY

    Bonnie awoke feeling oddly refreshed. Dr. Hank Lawson saw her from the gravely injured man’s shelter, and got up to go over to her.

    “Bonnie? How do you feel?”

    Bonnie blinked, then smiled up at him.

    “I feel wonderful! Like I could do cartwheels or something....” she trailed off as she looked around the beach. That’s right! Her and her husband, Damon, had been in a plane crash. And they still had not been rescued.

    Bonnie glanced in another direction and saw red sand! She looked at Dr. Lawson.

    “What happened?”

    Dr. Lawson’s face clouded over.

    “We lost a passenger last night.”

    “How?” Bonnie asked, now standing up. Dr. Lawson helped her. He had to admit, he was quite impressed with her recovery. But he was also apprehensive.

    “Bonnie,” not answering her question, “are you still suffering from memory loss?”

    Bonnie looked from the red sand, back to Dr. Lawson.

    “Oh. That. I’m sure my memory will come back in time. My husband can fill me in on anything I need to know. Where is he?”

    “Off on a hunting expedition with some of the other men. For food.” Hank said. “Try and rest, okay?”

    “I feel fine! Really! Let me help with things around here, okay? Can I maybe help you with some of the injured?”

    Hank smiled.

    “If you’d like, yes. I guess I could use a hand. Julia over there was helping, but she’s on breakfast duty. Why don’t you get yourself something to eat, then join me later, okay?”

    Bonnie nodded and smiled as Hank walked off.  Bonnie then walked over to a fire, where in which Julia and Lettie Mae were cooking some sort of meal. Lettie Mae did a double take when she saw Bonnie!

    “Oh praise Jesus! How do you feel, child?”

    Bonnie smiled and kneeled down in the sand.

    “I feel wonderful. But I feel bad for doing so. Dr. Lawson said someone died in the night?”

    “Someone was killed!” Lettie Mae corrected her. Bonnie’s eyes grew huge, and Julia gave Lettie Mae a look.

    “Bonnie, the truth is: there is some kind of animal on the island. The men are out looking for it now.” Julia told her.

    “Including my husband?” Bonnie asked.

    “Child, that man is NOT your husband!”

    “Lettie Mae!” Julia hissed. Bonnie stared at  Lettie Mae.

    “What do you mean?”

    “She doesn’t mean anything, Bonnie.” Julia said. “Why don’t I fix you a plate? You do look much better.”

    Bonnie kept staring at Lettie Mae. She could hear the woman talking, but her lips weren’t moving! She was saying something about sensing ‘evil’ in Damon. Bonnie stood up. Maybe she wasn’t as well as she thought.

    “No thank you. I feel kind of tired.” she said and walked back over to her shelter. Julia gave Lettie Mae a hard look.

    “Lettie Mae!”

    “What?”

    “What?! You don’t have any proof of anything! They looked like they were having a fight before the plane took off! A marital spat, nothing more!”

    “Julia, that girl did not have a wedding ring on her finger when I first tended her. As soon as I started asking questions, that no count husband of hers came up with one! I bet you he stole if off of one of the dead passengers!”

    Julia’s chin clenched.

    “Lettie Mae, we’re in real trouble here.”

    “I know that!”

    “Do you? Because the last thing we need is any infighting here. There’s a wild animal, maybe even a pack of them, on this island. The last thing we need is any rumor mongering.”

    Lettie Mae rolled her eyes!

    “You think I don’t see how you’ve been looking at him? How about I warn your behind to stay away from that girl’s ‘husband’, okay?” Lettie Mae said snippily, then stood up and wandered off. Julia rubbed the back of her neck. Lettie Mae wasn’t wrong. She had dreamt of Damon Salvatore last night. Dreamed of him making love to her.