Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is a long chapter, its over 7,000 words. 

Please forgive any grammatical errors.

Enjoy!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“What the fuck are you doing in my office” Kate said, upon entering her office after to lunch, where she found Billy lounging in her cream and brown Haute House Papillion chair.  She walked around the desk, and sat down in her white tufted armchair. “I asked you a question,” she said, after a few seconds of silence.

He smiled, “still so impatient.”

“Look, Billy, I don’t have time to deal with you, either tell me what you want, or get the fuck out of my office?”

“Do you kiss your mother with that mouth,” he tsked.

“Yes,” she said, crossing on leg over the other, arms folded across her the top of her desk.

Billy waited in silence. He wondered if she’d changed much, from the impatient, impetuous, imp he used to know. Kate was tiny, but she had the power of a freight train, with an act now, ask later mentality. Had she changed? He hadn’t spoken to her in about four years. Their meeting had been more her idea than his. She looked relaxed, her posture was straight, her shoulders and arms were relaxed. She looked like a patient teacher, waiting for her pupil to tell her what he needed. Her features were almost serene. She’s improved, thought Billy, even after he’d looked down at her feet, which were on display because of her glass desk. Her left heel was tapping the air, as if she were trying to be careful not to make a sound. Billy smiled, Katie was growing up. Should he given now, or give her the-he deliberately adjusted the left sleeve of his jacket, to look down at his watch, knowing that it would drive her crazy- two minutes and…seventeen seconds it would take, before she’d scream. He sighed, another day Abbott, another day.

“I need you to get something for me.”

Kate stilled her leg. She sat up straighter before replying. “That doesn’t sound like a question.”

“It wasn’t.”

She laughed without humor, “Wow Billy, you haven’t changed a bit.”

“Not in some areas.” He said in a false contemplative tone. “Like when I want something done. I want it done, and I want it done with all due expedience.” His blue eyes bore into her brown ones, “That hasn’t changed.”

There was something else he wanted to say, it was there hanging in the air between them, like an invisible noose, ready to drop over her head and around her neck.

“You can’t come into my office on a Friday, when I am busy finishing up for the week,  so that I might, just might, have some time to spend with my fiancé and order, not ask, me to do something for you. And then,” she placed a hand on her chest, “expect me to do it for you.”

“Yes…I can, and…I think I just did. Now would is good time, Chloe,” he said, using the pseudo name she’d used in New York.

“Don’t call me that.”

“Why not, that’s what they use to call you.”

Kate closed her eyes as a thousand images ran through her mind, men, different races, features, heights weight, all different, and yet the same. They had all been rich, extremely rich, and she’d almost been no better than a…  She opened her eyes, “Get out.”

“Does Kevin call you Chloe? I know CC and Lily don’t.”

Kate paused, her foot, her breathing, everything just paused. Her blood felt as if it where about to freeze, and her palms began to sweat. “What,” she started, cleared her throat and tried again. “What do you want?”

“Kate, I like you.” Billy said ignoring her question. He had her, but he wanted her calm. “You’re a good friend.” He didn’t want to make an enemy out of Lily’s best friend. If there was anyone, who’d actually help him accomplish his goal, it was the woman in front of him. After all, she had helped them sneak around behind Lily’s parent’s back the first year they were together.  It hadn’t been his intention to play his hand this early, but in this case, a little push went a long way. Kate liked things straight up no chaser, which was how he was going to give it to her. This was just a little prepping, like coating your margarita glass with sugar.  

Of course, she thought, her blood pumping through her veins, bringing her senses into full alert. “This is about Lily.”

“Yes, but let’s pretend that I’m here on business.”

She arched an eyebrow.

“Jabot is about to launch a new fragrance.”

“I don’t deal with sales.”

“Of course not, and I’m not in marketing, but that’s beside the point. As I said, let’s pretend that I’m here on business.”

She nodded.

“If this were business meeting, I would tell you what I want, and you would try to persuade me that you could give me the result that I require.” He said, holding her gaze.

She stared into that bottomless blue gaze unflinchingly. Billy may know some…information about her, and that was her fault more than anything else. But he needed her help, so the playing field may not be even, but she could keep the bases from being loaded against her. “What is it?”

“Her diary,” He said watching the look of surprise wash over her face, before it vanished.

“You have got to be kidding me?”

“Do I look like I’m kidding?” he said, eyes slightly narrowed.

No, no, snakes don’t look like their kidding, She thought. “Billy you’re asking me to give you my best friend’s diary. To…to give you the book that contains her most intimate thoughts, with details of her private life with Nick. I can’t, it would be an act of betrayal that… she wouldn’t forgive.” Kate said glancing down at the charm bracelet she’d put on that morning. She hadn’t worn it in years, but she’d felt the need to that morning. She wondered what they would say, when they saw it on her. 

“Lily would forgive you, because that’s who she is. But it doesn’t matter, because she will never find out.”

Kate licked her suddenly dry lips, “I think she would notice if her diary went missing.”

Billy smiled, “Why would she notice if an old diary is missing.” He continued at her blank expression. “I don’t want her journal, and by the way that’s what she calls the new one.” He said, letting her know that he’d done his research. “I want the pink diary, with the gold heart shaped lock.”

Kate was shocked, that he’d remembered, but she shouldn’t have been. Billy use to notice everything about Lily. Their relationship had not been received well by many, partly because of jealousy and partly because of the instant undeniable bond that had forged between them, after only one date. There was just something about the way that Bill used to look at Lily that made almost every girl wish to be in her shoes.  

Billy watched her face carefully. “You’re surprised that I remember.”

“Not really. I remember Billy, it’s been seven years, but I remember.” She said, and then picked up a pen for something to do with her hands. “How exactly do you expect me to get this diary?” Was she really thinking about doing this?  “This would still be considered an invasion of privacy, and a betrayal of our friendship. I’ve never betrayed Lily, and I won’t start today, and I can’t even believe you would think that I would.”

“Chloe, Chloe, Chloe,” he said softly, and watched her flinch in reaction. “You play the tough girl, but you and I both know that you’re a romantic at heart. And we both know that you don’t like Nick. And that you believe that I’m a better choice,” he held up a hand, when she made to speak. “I know, I know, let’s not rehash the past.”

“How the hell can we not rehash the past, when you left my friend a mess?” She asked voice rising. “I came from Paris to comfort her, after you broke her heart, all for your own selfish, week ass reasons.”

“Paris huh,” he asked. “Who took you to Paris?”

Kate blanched, “I…”

“Shouldn’t you have been in New York? You know, tucked away in some little restaurant in the village serving coffee to make extra money, and not globe trotting? You were only what, a sophomore at NYU?”

She was quiet, once again the images floated through her head, escaping that place she’d put them in, after everything was said and done.

“First class or private jet,” he asked. “I prefer private. You can do so many….

“Ok,” she said, tossing the pen onto the desk.

  “Kate, I’m not an evil man,” he said with smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes. “And, I’ve always liked you. You help to balance Lily. She needs someone like you…someone who knows how to help her take a walk on the wild side.”

“You want me to convince her to an affair?”

“Kate, you of all people should know how limited affairs are.” He said rising to his full height. “The only thing I want from you…well at this moment… is her diary.

“And how am I supposed to get it?” She asked bitterly.

“You’re a resourceful woman.” He said turning to leave. “I’m sure you’ll think of something… and fast.”

Kate followed his progress as he walked towards the door. He walked with a surety of one who knows- without a doubt- that he will get what he wants. He was utterly complete in the knowledge that she would do his bidding, and do it will all hast. “Nick is such a non factor for you.” She said when he was at the door.

Billy paused, and turned, giving her a smile that when up to his eyes, but didn’t make them really friendly. “Aww Kate, I knew there was a reason I liked you.” Billy found it refreshing to speak with at least one person, who knew how truly insignificant Nick was. But then this was Kate. She was a romantic, but that didn’t hinder her from going after what she wanted, as if everything else was insignificant, beyond her own desires. “And because I like you. You have until,” He brought his arm up to look at his watch, “seven,” her eyes bulged, “fine eight. Is that better” he asked not really caring. “Don’t say I never did anything for you.” He moved to leave.

“You want me to,” she began, but he cut her off.

“Resourceful, Kate,” he said exiting the office, “Resourceful.”

Kate leaned back in her chair, tapping her fingers on the glass, she smiled. Yes, Billy had something own her, that could do serious damage if revealed, but she was certain that he wouldn’t. Well not a hundred percent, but she knew that Billy wouldn’t want Lily to discover that he’d black mailed her. He would more than likely keep the information to himself.  Billy usually did what Lily wanted, especially if it wouldn’t make her look at him differently. However that was the old Billy, the man in front of her was a completely different animal, who could still reveal what he knew. 

And yet the smile remained, because although she pretended ignorance, she knew exactly where the diary was. It was going to be her first betrayal, but if she let her heart lead her, and not her mind, then she knew she was doing the right thing. Lily still loved Billy, and despite what he’d done, and how much he’d hurt her. Kate believed that Billy would never repeat that mistake. He wouldn’t be doing all of this, unless he was playing for keeps. And she had no doubt that Billy had returned with the sole purpose of destroying Lily’s marriage. A marriage to a man, who wasn’t worthy of the love Lily had bestowed upon him. Billy was going to destroy Nick. Kate only hoped that Lily didn’t get caught in the crossfire. She closed her eyes, and tried to block the image of her friend’s smiling face on the day of her wedding.  But she couldn’t drown out the phantom words that swept through her mind.  We’re going to be happy Kate, so stop worrying, Nick loves me, and I…I love him. Kate, be happy for me.  Kate pulled herself out of the memory and sighed. “What kind of friend am I?”

***

Lily’s heels clacked against the hardwood floors, as she made her way from the conference room, heading to her office. She didn’t look at anyone. She didn’t turn her heard to acknowledge the faces that watched her pass, or the whispers that followed in their wake. She was in the zone…the pissed off zone, which was not a place she was used to being. She was a happy person. She was a good person, and a very nice person, but at this moment, she didn’t feel like being nice.  Perhaps she was overreacting, but it didn’t feel that way. She felt that she was righteous in her anger. She had every right to be upset. And why shouldn’t she, when he’d done, something so…so… so very Billy.

She made a sharp left, almost colliding with the kid from the mailroom, who she ignored as he yelled out an apology, for being in her way. It was rude, she knew it was rude, but she couldn’t speak. She didn’t want to speak, because if she did. She might scream. How could he?

“Lily,” Colleen and Kate called simultaneously from their positions on the couch in their large private lounge area.

She threw up one hand in a ‘not now’ gesture and continued towards her office, which was on the opposite end of the lounge. 

“I think she knows,” Colleen said watching Lily’s retreating form.

“I’m sure she knows,” said Kate.

“Should we tell her he’s in her office?”

“We tried.”

“That wasn’t trying.”

“Colleen, what do you want me to do, tackle her to the ground?”

“She’s going to wish we had.”

Kate stood and stretched, “I have to make a run.”

“You’re leaving!”

“Colleen she can handle him.”

“I know she can, but…”

Kate flopped back down, “Fine, you don’t have to pull my arm.”

Colleen looked at her, but didn’t say anything.

***

There, Lily thought upon seeing her office door. She was almost home free. “Ha,” she could go to her office and scream as loud as she wanted to, and the only people, who could hear her, would be Colleen and Kate- and their assistants, but only if she was still screaming, when they return from the meeting, that Colleen and Kate never attended.  It would be slightly embarrassing, but she might as well get used to being embarrassed, because her life was about to become one huge embarrassment.

She stopped a few steps from her door. Maybe she was being a tad over dramatic? It wasn’t as if everyone would know.

She stared down at the hardwood floor, lost in thought. Her day hadn’t begun promising, but it had gotten better with each passing minute. She’d woken up to breakfast in bed, which had been nice. Nick had stood her up again. He’d tried to apologize. But somewhere, inside, she’d had about as much as she could take. 

***

“I’m sorry,” were the first words out of Nicks mouth, when he’d placed a tray with two scrambled eggs, a croissant, a small bowl a fresh fruit and a glass orange juice in front of her.

Lily looked down and picked up a single long stemmed white rose that lay across the top. Lifting it, she inhaled the sweet aroma of the flower. Closing her eyes, her mind conjured up a pair of deep smiling blue eyes, which belonged to someone presenting her with a Stargazer lily. Her eyes flew open, and she subconsciously set down the rose.

“You’re angry,” Nick said sitting on the edge of the bed.

“Yes,”

He sighed dramatically. “Lily it…

She held up her hand, affectively cutting him off. “I know it was business. It’s always business.” She didn’t know why, but her throat felt tight. She felt as if she wanted to cry, which was ridiculous, because she was use to this. She was use to Nick putting business before their marriage.

“Lils,” he said touching her hand, imploring her to look at him, because her eyes were staring down at her plate. He wasn’t sure what to say. He tried again, “Lily, it’s almost done, and...”

“And then you’ll have time for me,” she said looking up.

“Lily it’s not like that,”

“No Nick, then what is it like?” She said trying to remove her hand from his firm grip. Lily wasn’t sure why she was reacting this way. She should just say that it was ok, that she understood, but the words wouldn’t come. “Because from what I can see, that’s exactly what it’s like. You only make time for me when you’re not tied up with some acquisition or business deal.” She heard her next sentence playing through her mind, and she forced the words back, but knew that she couldn’t hold them.”

“Lily I love you. You are my life.”

“No Nick, Newman is your life, and I’m just your support system.” She swallowed hard in an attempt to fight back the tears she could feel gathering in here eyes. No…Lily stop, she needed to stop. O God, what was wrong with her.  She closed her eyes, and was met with a heat filled blue gaze, that awakened things deep in her body that had been a sleep for years.  She felt the strength and power of strong arms around her waist, holding her as if she were the most precious thing in the world, and it was enough to bring the first tear. “Nick,” she said. Her throat felt scratchy. “I need something...we need something.”

Nick’s heart ached at the expression on her face. She looked lost, as if she didn’t know what to say to him, and he didn’t want to hear, what she might say. Removing the tray, he gathered her in his arms, apologizing over and over again, as he she laid against him.

They sat in silence, neither saying anything. Lily just concentrated on the feel of his arms around her and the scent that was only Nick. She breathed him in, needing to banish all other thoughts, of other smells. Her senses needed to be reminded of home. This, here in these arms, was home.

 “I was thinking,” Nick began, “that we could get away for a while.”

Lily looked up.

“Just you and I, I’ve already spoken with my father about it, and made a few arrangements.”

“You…You want us to take a trip?” She said not able to keep the skepticism out her voice. It had been over six months since they’d gone on vacation.

“Yeah,” he lifted her chin to look her in the eyes. “I know this is last minute, but I think we could use a vacation. It’s been a while, since we’ve spent any real time together. I want to spend everyday, all day with you and only you.”

Lily bit her lip. “I.”

“The magazine will be fine without you.” He said halting any protest she might raise.

“But, what about this deal, you told me how important it was for Newman.”

“Someone else can take care of it,” he twisted a lock of her hair around his finger, bringing her face close to his so that there lips almost touched. “I’m going to enjoy making love to my wife, all day,” he kissed her, “all night,” kiss, “from sun up” kiss, “to sun down,” he kissed her long and deep, before pulling away. “Will you come away with me?”

Her heart leapt, and she knew she’d have a lot to take care of, but she needed this. They needed this. “Yes,” she said, and slid her arms around his neck. “I can’t wait.”

Nick hugged her tight against him, laughing as she squealed in surprise, when he pushed her down on the bed, his chest never left hers.  

 ***

They’d made love twice, once slow and sweet in bed, and then fast and frenzied in the shower. They’d both ended up late to work. She was excited, and giddy about going away with him. And yet it, it didn’t dispel the images from last night, which began to bleed into her past, mixing with thoughts of days gone by.

 The way she was feeling, the scene with Nick, and her inability to concentrate were all because of last night. She should have made him leave, but no. She’d danced with him, and that dance, being so close to him, was why she was completely thrown off her guard today. Last night, and most of today, she couldn’t seem stop herself from thinking about him…about…them. 

***

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ten Years Ago~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hey Tiger,” Billy said, approaching Lily, who standing at her locker.  

Lily turned at the sound of his voice, and jumped into his arms. “I made it Billy, I made it.” She said cheesing up at him, standing on her tip toes.

“Made what?” he asked holding her close.

“The Dance team,” she said smiling from ear to ear.

“Well congratulations.”

“I…I didn’t think I would make it after I was late to practice.” She said arms still around his neck. “She was not happy with me, and even made a snide comment about her dancers always being on time, or something to that effect.” She shook her head in disbelief. “I can’t believe it. You were right.”

“I think I should be offended,” he said.

Her face clouded over, “O, I… I didn’t mean it that way.” She moved to step back, when she realized that she was in his arms. She, Lily Amanda Winters, was in the hallway wrapped in Billy Abbott’s arms. She froze, this could look really bad. She removed her arms from around his neck and made to step back, when his arms tightened around her, causing her to fall forward. Catching her self with her palms against his chest she looked up confused.

“I was only kidding,” he said with that famous grin on his face, holding her tight. “I did tell you to trust me.”

She nodded, feeling as if the cat had gotten her tongue.

“I told you, you would make, and you did.”

She nodded, “Yes, you did.” She attempted to step back, but he held her still. “Billy?”

“You stood me up,” he said capturing her gaze with his suddenly serious blue eyes.

Lily wanted to blink, she wanted to turn away, but it was as if his eyes were magnetic and she was a magnet that couldn’t pull away. “I told you…”

“I know what you said, but you told me that you wanted to go out with me.”

He’s so serious, thought Lily mesmerized by the blue fire in his eyes. “I did…I meant… I do.” She bit her lip, and looked down breaking his gaze.

“Lily,” he said softly raising her chin, to capture her eyes again. “Why did you stand me up?”

She thought back to the message Billy had someone deliver to her in class that Friday. It had told her where to meet him, but she’d been too nervous when the time came to actually go through with it. She’d have had to sneak out of the house and lie to her parents. She’d been so nervous about the whole thing, and every time she attempted to tell them the lie she’d come up with- that she was going to hang out with CC and Kate, who they didn’t know both had dates- she ended getting tongue tied,  and then returning to her room. She may have been able to get past her father, but there was no way she would have gotten past her mother. “I’m sorry. I didn’t want to…”

“Lie,” he said, finally letting his eyes show a bit of humor. “I don’t think you would have made it, if you’d had to lie. So let me take care of it.

“What?”

“We’re going on a date.” He said, tucking a stray lock of her hair behind her ear.

“When,” she asked slightly dazed. His index finger was still resting lightly against her ear. It felt…nice-really nice.

“Soon,” he said mysteriously.

“But how will I know the date?”

He sighed, “You, my little Tiger, are a terrible liar, so let’s just say that you’ll know, when you need to know. “

She frowned and was about to reply when someone spoke from behind Billy.

“I hope you’re not going to be late to practice…again,” said a stern feminine voice.

Lily jumped at the sound of Mrs. Parker’s voice, “Umm, no ma’am.” She said trying to step away from Billy, whose arms tightened around her.

“She’ll be there on time,” he said looking down at Lily, while slowly releasing her. “I’ll arrange everything.”

“Ok,” she said, and then looked around him to Mrs. Parker, who was frowning at Billy’s back. She moved to go, but was forced to stop, when his left arm snaked out across her stomach, his hand cupping her side.  He leaned down to ear and whispered, “Tell me if she upsets you.” Lily blinked confused by the comment, but nodded, and moved off, when he dropped his hand.

She hurried off down the hall, but paused when she heard Billy, who was standing close to Mrs. Parker, call after her, “Don’t forget TL.” Lily wanted to ask what TL meant, but didn’t since he was speaking with Mrs. Parker, who didn’t seem at all happy with him. “Tiger,” she said aloud, as she made her way down the silent hall. She found that her stomach sort of squeezed, whenever he called her that. But she wasn’t a tiger. She was more of a…well, a lily. She stopped dead in her tracks. “Tiger…Lily,” she said testing the words. “TL must be for Tiger Lily.” He…he’d given her a nickname? He didn’t really know her and yet…he’d already given her a nickname. She wasn’t sure how she felt about that, but she knew she wasn’t angry. She just didn’t know what to call the warm feeling that suddenly rushed upon her. Tiger Lily, she thought, I’m his Tiger Lily.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ten Minutes Ago~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Tiger “

“What,” Lily said startled out of her daydream. “Did you just say tiger,” She looked down the glossy black rectangular conference table, past the confused faces of her employees, and stopped at a young guy, with blonde hair and green eyes. She couldn’t remember his name, but she new he was senior executive, who wasn’t much older than her.

“Yes Mrs. Newman.” He replied, looking at her as if she’d grown a second head.

Shit, thought Lily. She’d been daydreaming at an office meeting. What they hell kind of CEO was she? People had had doubts that someone so young could take charge of the operations side of the magazine, but she’d proven them wrong. She was sure they’d be rolling in their seats if they could see her right now. “What about it…” She paused trying to remember his name.

“Dylan,” he said, filing in for her.

Dylan? Was he the guy Georgie was dating? “Well Dylan,” she said coolly.

“We just started a new account with Jabot for their new fragrance.”

Jabot has a new fragrance? Billy did mention that he wanted to discuss some advertising with me, but... “What does Jabot’s new fragrance have to do with tigers?” She asked. They were really going to think that she was daft. She sighed. I should have been paying attention.

“The fragrance…The fragrance is called Tiger Lily.”

“What,” she shrieked. Her heartbeat thundered in her ears. She…She couldn’t have heard him right? There was no way- no way that he’d just said that Jabot’s new fragrance was called- she had to have misunderstood him. Yes, that was it, he didn’t say…

“Lily,” Georgie asked her boss, who sitting on her left.

Lily blinked, they must have said something, but she didn’t here them. She could only hear the beating of her heart, like an echo down a long tunnel.  She needed to pull it together, and find out if she’d heard what she was sure she hadn’t heard. That didn’t make any sense,” she thought, but didn’t really care. “When was the deal finalized for this…new fragrance?”

“Well it’s been in the works for a while,” said a female from the marketing department, “Although the deal wasn’t finalized until Monday.”

 Shouldn’t she have known this? She did recall Colleen mentioning something or another about her uncle Jack mentioning to her that they wanted to purchase some ad space, but that was about it. She didn’t deal with all the small nuances, but…She should have known--shouldn’t she? “Ok.   I suppose we’ll be featuring it in the August issue?” Several people at the table exchanged glances, and for the umpteenth time in less than ten minutes, Lily wished that she had been paying better attention to the meeting instead of thinking about… “What? Did I miss something?”

“Umm…”Dylan began, but sighed in relief when Roxanne, the SR. Vice President of Marketing answered for him.

“Lily, Mr. Romolatti was hoping that we could put it in the July issue. I said yes.  We had room for an extra ad, with Kate’s last minute decision to do a small layout featuring a sneak peak at Amber’s fall collections.”

“And you discussed this with Colleen and Kate?” She asked still curious about the name. She couldn’t have heard him right. She just couldn’t have! But how was she supposed to confirm it, without asking again. And that was the last thing she would do.

“I haven’t had the chance, but I figured the ad could be placed before or after the new line. Although I think after would be better, but I’ll leave that up to Colleen and Kate.” Said Roxanne, who tapped her pen lightly against the portfolio in front her. “But I suppose it doesn’t matter, seeing as they have the same theme. 

Ok, here it was, but she couldn’t ask about the theme, because she should have been paying attention. Hell, she should’ve known without paying attention, after all Amber was a close friend. What kind of friend doesn’t remember a friend’s newest Collection, especially when said friend babbles on and on about every new collection?  Lily was certain that Amber had told her about it. She thought hard, it…It was something with animals.  Yes something with…Cats- big cats. She remembered admiring a black and white stripped suede swing coat in Amber’s studio. Amber had told her that her inspiration for the fall collection had come to her after she’d taken her son to the San Diego Zoo last summer.  She’d fallen in love with the large white-“tigers.” Lily asked.

“Yes,” Roxanne replied. “The Tiger Lily ad would be a nice touch. It would look as if the fall season were about all things tiger, both fierce and delicate.”

O my god…O my god. Her mind chanted as she tried to keep her features composed. She needed to get out there. She needed to…To kill Billy Abbot. How could he, how could he do something so…so… She couldn’t even think of a word, she so angry.  Why would he do this? Tiger Lily was…It was personal. “Roxanne that sounds good,” she replied, without knowledge of what she was replying to. She looked up at the conference room clock, they still needed to discuss the sales projections for next month’s issue, but she didn’t have to be here for that. Georgie would stay and take notes. “I have an appointment.” She said, looking at Georgie, before she could say anything, when they both knew that she was lying. “George will stay and take notes. I trust her, so if there is anything that needs to be voted on, she has my proxy.” She picked up her Filo-fax organizer, and departed the room without a backwards glance.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Present~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lily massaged her temples with her left middle finger and thumb. She felt like such an idiot. She couldn’t imagine what her employee’s thought her. Anyone else would have played it straight, pretended nothing was wrong, but no. Not her. She had to react, which only gave them cause to gossip. It wouldn’t take a genius to put two and two together.  Why did he do it? What was he trying to prove? And it could have only have been him, because Jack wouldn’t have done something so…daring. Anyone who’d known them when they were together would have known that he called her Tiger, Tiger Lily, or TL. Anyone would know, Colleen, Kate, her father, her brother, and…and…her husband. “Shit,” she said, walking in to her office, “That mother fu...”

“Do you ladies welcome all of your guests with such language or am I just special?”

Lily started, taken a back by the intruder. No it can’t be,” She thought. Her gaze moved around her office-that was illuminated by sunlight- until they found him, standing next to one of the windows staring out the vertical blinds. If she didn’t know any better, she would swear that he planned this. “What the hell are you doing in my office?”

“So it must be just for me,” he said, “Should I be honored?”

“What are you doing my office?” She didn’t have time for this, not his snide remarks or his blasé attitude. She didn’t have time for him. Not after his latest stunt. No…she needed to put some distance between her and him, or she was likely to kill him.

“I had some business to attend to in the area,” he said letting the blinds fall back into place, before turning around. “So I swung by to chat with CC. We really haven’t had a chance to catch up.

“Colleen is in the lounge, I just passed her on my way here. I’m sure you saw her, and even if you didn’t, her office is on the other side. So why aren’t you with her?”

“I was. We had a nice informative chat.

***

“Billy, why are you here?” CC said standing in front of her the desk.

“I wanted to see you?” Billy replied grinning down at his niece, who was frowning at him.

“About what?”

“Nothing in particular, I just wanted to catch up with my favorite niece.”

“Hmm, hmm”

“And what was that for?

“You and I both know that you are not here to play catch up?”

“Then why am I here?

“O, I don’t know, could it have any thing to do with breaking up my best-friend’s marriage? And if that’s the reason you’re here, you might as well walk out that door, because I will not help you destroy Lily’s marriage.”

Billy sighed, “Well, I guess we don’t have anything to talk about do we?”

“You…you’re not even going to deny.” She said moving away from the desk.

“And why would I, when we’d both know that I was lying.”

Colleen groaned, “Billy, please don’t do this. She’s…she’s happy, and satisfied with her life. You left her, not the other way around, and now you’ve decided that you want her back, but Billy… Lily loves Nick” She moved closer to Billy. “She really loves him.”

“I’m not saying she doesn’t.” He said stepping away from her and heading towards the door. He would never hurt Colleen, but she was pissing him off. They were family, and she was taking Nick’s side… just as he thought she would. This was another test, and CC had failed, but then he knew she would. CC was happily married, and happily married women don’t –well they shouldn’t- scheme to break up their friends “happy” marriage. 

“So you’ll back off, and let them be. Let her be happy.” She asked following him towards the door.

“Why don’t they have kids yet?” He asked.

“I,” she started, and then stopped and stare at the back of his head.

“That’s right, you don’t know, but I do. And I think that if you think about it for a little while, you’ll know too.” He’d left, without a backwards glance, stopping next to test Kate, who he was certain, would pass. 

***

“That doesn’t explain why you are here, in my office?” Lily said, snapping him out of his musings.

“It would have been rude of me, not to stop in, and say hello.” He said brushing off her question.

She crossed her arms over her chest, “But it wasn’t rude of you to come into my office uninvited?”

“Yeah, that was a little rude.”

“A little,” she narrowed her eyes at him. “Billy you’d be extremely angry if you found me in your office alone, without you, or your assistant’s permission to be there.”

“Not if you were dresses like this,” his eyes moved over the black suite that was molded to her body to perfection, down to the crisscrossed patterned sheer stocking that covered her long legs, and ending at her black paten-leather platform pumps, with ankle straps. She looked liked vixen from the golden era of Hollywood in her all black, with her tousled hair, smoky eyes, and glossy lips, which were forming the most sensuous pout.  He was certain that she didn’t mean for it to be sensual…but it was.

She didn’t respond.  She didn’t think she was capable, as her stomach tightened more and more as he took in each one of her features. 

 “But you’re right. I wouldn’t have been happy if it were anyone else.” 

“Why I on the other hand would have preferred to find almost anyone else in my office…besides you.”

“Wow, what did I do to get on your bad side?

“What did you do?” She asked and laughed without humor. “O I don’t know…maybe naming Jabot’s new fragrance after my old pet name?

“I take you don’t approve.”

“And why the hell would I approve?” she said walking towards him. “Why would I approve of you naming a fragrance after something that was so personal between the two of us? Why would I approve of you naming a fragrance after something that anyone could trace back to our past relationship? Do you even know how this looks?” She finished stopping near her desk. Her amber eyes had turned a brilliant gold that shined with righteous indignation.

“The smell reminded me of you.” He said strolling lazily towards her.

Lily watched infuriated, as he approached her with a satisfied smile on his lips. He seemed to be taking pleasure in this, when there was nothing pleasurable about the situation. “What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“It means, you were my first thought, when I took a whiff of the perfume, my… only thought,” He said stopping, close enough so that if he reached out, only the tips of his finger would brush her suite. “It was as if every memory I’ve ever had of you flowed to the front of my brain. I could see you so clearly. Smiling, laughing, shinning with that inner joy that is infectious, and makes everyone want to feel as you do…be as you are. Wild as nature intended you to be, as soft and delicate as the wind that captured your essence, swirling it around like a cyclone, sucking up every other fragrance in an open field until there is nothing but stillness, and you.”

Lily was transfixed by his words. And yet it wasn’t just the words, it was the whimsical look in his eyes. She could tell that he was thinking, remembering the exact moment he’d smelled the scent. She could tell he was being honest. It was there in his expression, they way he looked at her. The look was one that she knew well, and had never thought to see again. She turned away, “That…That doesn’t excuse anything. You could have named it wild rose or…or something else.

“To boring, not…exotic enough, and not you,” he said.

She turned back, “Not me? Billy, you shouldn’t be thinking about me. I…I’m a married woman, a happily married woman.” She said taking an involuntary step forward. “Billy I should be the last think you think about.”

“But you’re not. It doesn’t matter what I do, or who I do, you are never the last thing on my mind.” He reached out trailing the back of his hand across her cheek. She stepped back, and he let her, dropping his hand to his side. “You’ve always been here,” he pointed to his head, “and…” He pause, no it was too soon to tell her that she was the woman in his heart, the only woman who would ever be there. He had given her his heart, and in her hands is where it lay and would always stay.

She didn’t know what say, which seemed to be a daily occurrence as of late. It was as if she were living her life through mirrors. She could see what was happening, the image was mimicking her gestures, but she didn’t have a voice, it was as if something else was controlling her, taking away her ability to say the things that were buried deep within her heart.  Or maybe she’d always been here, sleeping, behind the mirror, and was finally waking up to listen to the stranger she’d created to protect her, from the man who standing in front of her. “I don’t want to be the person you think about. I have a husband who loves me, who really loves me, and who I love in return.

  She watched as the emotion in his eyes shut down as easily as if hitting a switch.

“What you did, what you’re doing it’s wrong. I don’t know what you hope to accomplish, but I am not going to leave my husband for you. It’s not going to happen. I love Nick…

“Yeah, and he loves you,” Billy spat. “He loves you so much that he stood you up last night for work?” He began angrily. He wasn’t going to listen this. He would not stand by, while she waxed on about Nicholas Newman.  “I’m going to go out on a wild guess and say that wasn’t the first time.” He smirked. “I’m betting the minute the mustache says jump, little Victor says how hi.

“You don’t-”

“Why should he meet his wife, when she’s all dolled up waiting for him, with her heart on her sleeve, when he can just send his father in his stead?”

“Shut up.”

“O wait, did I strike nerve.”

Lily reached back and moved to slap him, but Billy caught her and yanked her toward him. She fell forward into his arms, his free hand wrapped around her waist.  She struggled against him. “You might want to stop that.” He said, as her body moved against his.

She stopped seeing the heat in his eyes. “Then let me go?”

He smiled, “Nope.”

“Billy, let me go or I will scream and have you tossed out on your arrogant ass.”

Billy slid the hand around her waist down to cup her rear. He knew that he shouldn’t, but he’d been fighting a loosing battle, since from the moment he first saw her at the party. He needed to kiss her, to feel her lips against his, to see if she tasted as good as he remembered. “Lily,” he said, in deep voice filled with longing.

She shivered at the sound, her dormant need for him had awakened like a hungry bear after seven long years of hibernation. She felt warm and yet cold. The longing was like an ice cave, where her secret hopes and dream of a reunion slept.  Hopes and dreams she’d tried to bury, when she met Nicholas, but she couldn’t bury them. She had only been able to freeze them in time, placing huge boulders filled with pain and heartache to cover the cave and keep them at bay. The boulders were still in place, but the cave was melting on the inside moving towards the outside, and seeping through the cracks that his reappearance had begin to make in her defenses. She needed to hold on to her defense. She need... “Billy,” she gasped in slightly hoarse voice, “don’t,” she began in vain.






Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for stopping by, leave message on your way out. LOL!