Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


John showed up mid afternoon on a Wednesday at Cassie and Dean's house. He parked his black truck in the driveway and looked around. Dean has done well for himself he thought as he stood in his son's circle drive It took only two knocks for the door to for it to be answered. A four months pregnant, Sara stood before him with a smile on her face. She was barely showing but her face was radiant.

"Hey John, where we expecting you?" she asked with a grin as her dark her curled around her face.

Her emerald eyes lit up with a smile at the sight of her father-in-law.

"Hey Sara, well you are glowing, just like Sam said. I mentioned to Dean I may stop in to visit but I gave him no time frame," John answered as he hugged her.

"Well come in either way. We're in the family room watching Little Mermaid with the kids and Cassie."

John followed her down the long hallway to the back of the house. They passed a couple of rooms, including the master bedroom and a guestroom on the way. John smiled a nice set up, more than Mary and I had in our few years together.

"Hey," Cassie said as she lounged on the sofa with Cassidy on her shoulder.

"Hey Cassie, oh is that me new granddaughter?" John asked as he reached to pull the little girl into his arms.

Cassidy looked up and made a sound at seeing the stranger just before Deanna realized her grandfather was in the room.

"Papa," she said as she got out Sam's lap to go stand in front of John.

"Hey, Dee Dee, how are you?"

Deanna smiled before Jason and Marty walked over.

"Papa," Marty said with a smile.

"No, I call him that," Deanna said with a frown at her younger brother.

John laughed; Deanna had to have something that was just hers. With two brothers and a sister being, the oldest had to mean something.

"Marty you sister is right but you can call me something else."

"Hum," Marty said as he put his mind to work on the new problem.

He stood with his hands on his hips in the middle of the room while the grown-ups tried not to laugh aloud.

"Grandpa," Jason said as John bend down to hug his other grandson.

"Hey kiddo."

Jason smiled before he went back to watch the program.

"I know, Granny," Marty said with a laugh.

John smiled, "Looks like you got your father's sense of humor," he said to the little boy who looked up at him.

Sam smiled as Deanna returned to his lap where he sat against the loveseat nearest the television. Cassidy began to make noises in the mean time as she looked for someone to pay attention to her as she held on to John's shoulder.

"Dada dada da da," she said repeatedly while she sucked her hand in between times.

Cassie could not stop laughing at the scene. Sara smiled as she put her legs up on the sofa next to her sister in-law.

"How about stick with Grandpa for now, buddy," John said before Marty went back toward the television to sit down.

"Okay," the little boy said as he sat down to watch the show.

Dean walked in the room a few minutes later much to everyone's surprise.

"Hey," Cassie said as he came over to kiss her.

"Dad, what are doing here?" Dean asked as he saw his father as he sat in the chair holding Dean's little angel.

He went over to kiss Cassidy's cheek but could not pick her up because he needed to go take a shower first.

"Just came for a visit," John said.

"Good glad you made it," Dean said as he left the room.

When Dean came out of the shower, he found Cassie on the bed feeding the baby. Cassidy heard the bathroom door open and looked in his direction.

"Hey Sweetie," Dean said to the baby as she enjoyed her meal.

"So why did you get home early?" Cassie asked.

"Well our boss had some big to-do with his family this evening so he let us all go early."

"All the better for us, but you have that meeting with the insurance lady, right?"

"Yeah, in a couple of hours."

"Do you want me to go with you?"

"It's up to you, I have to make another stop afterward," Cassie said as she watched Dean watch the baby.

"I just as soon stay home," Dean decided as he put the baby on his shoulder to burp her when she was done eating.

"Nunu nu nunu nu," the little girl said.

Cassie shook her head, "That is new sound, for her."

"Way to go," Dean said as he grinned at his little girl.

More than an hour passed before Cassie came through the kitchen to tell everyone she was about to leave. She wore a black knee length skirt with a white blouse and long sleeve black shrug. She had prepared dinner ahead of time and eaten herself. Everyone was in the kitchen as she headed out.

"Nice outfit," Sam commented.

"I thought you were just talking to the insurance person, you look dressed to go out," Dean said with a smirk at his wife.

"See you later," Sara grinned as John waved from near the sink.

The kids all gathered around her to give her hugs, while Cassidy bammed on her tray as she wanted the attention for herself.

"So why is Cassie going to see the insurance agent?" Sam asked curiously as he ate his Mexican casserole.

"Oh some changes we need to make, they prefer you come in person to see the options," Dean said as he split his time between eating and feeding Cassidy her peas.

"Oh that's a good idea, to update your policy," John said when he finally sat down at the table with the rest after adding more cheese and some jalapeño's to his plate.

"So Dad have you had a chance to check on that second colt?" Sara asked.

John explained that he had heard there was a second colt but once Elkins told him how to find the first he had forgotten about the other one.

"Yeah, looks like we have that one," Sam said.

"But it's no good without the bullets," Dean added.

Sara nodded. It was a good thing she had hooked up with Sam but she wondered how much fate had played a hand in that. She loved her husband but she disliked feeling as though she was a pawn in someone's game of chess. How did Sam Winchester cross her path? Of all the people he helped in his life, how did he end up at her father's auction house? She felt chilled all of sudden. Sam looked at her with love in his eyes. She squeezed his hand under the table. Maybe it didn't matter how they had met. The main thing was that they loved one another and the baby she carried was proof of that. Sam had finally told her he was uncertain if this was the best time to have a child but he still believed things happened for a reason. He looked forward to being a father as well as going to school online. He had taken a job with Dean temporarily while he looked for an office position. When he had found one he told Sara she could stay at home until the baby was born. But Sara had also found something she could do at home on the internet that would bring in income. They had begun to search for an apartment not far from Cassie and Dean.

Dean paced the room and threw the cordless on the bed before he heard the front door close. Cassie came home from her appointment after midnight. She walked in the bedroom to find Dean reading. After she undressed quickly she went straight into the shower without a word to her husband. When she came out she lay down silently as though she were angry. Dean could smell the liquor on her despite the shower.

"So where have you been all this time I called you five times but your phone was off," he said as he put the book on the bedside table.

"It took longer than I expected then I had something else I needed to do," she said as she turned her back to him.

Dean grabbed her shoulder before she could completely turn over, "So what,….you where out whoring around?"

She glared at him before she pushed him away but before either of them knew it she slapped him hard in the face. Dean pushed her on the bed and got up. He grabbed his pillow and headed for the bedroom door. His face burned like it was on fire. He slammed the door so hard everyone woke up because it sounded like a gun shot. Cassidy began to cry. Cassie got up as the tears ran down her face as she picked up her little girl.

Dean threw the pillow on the sofa before he went into the kitchen to find his father at the table as he ate ice cream.

"What the hell is going on?" John asked his eldest.

"Nothing."

Dean pulled a beer out of the refrigerator before his father grabbed him by the shoulders.

"Don't tell me nothing, damn it, you just woke up the entire house with the sound of that blasted door."

Dean pushed his father's hands away. Then they both sat at the table. There was nothing but silence at first.

"I ….was stupid, but I was worried about her for hours. Though I knew she was upset when she got back, it was obvious."

John shook his head as he got an ice pack out to hand it to Dean who was using the beer bottle against his face where there was clearly a handprint. It was red and looked painful.

"She hit you?"

"Good guess dad," Dean smirked.

"She is a feisty one, you did good when you chose her. ….Did you consider she may have needed time to deal with whatever had made her angry?" John said with a barely restrained smile.

Dean shook his head, " I don't like secrets between us. Though, I may have taken the wrong approach," he said as he looked at John.

There was noise in the hallway as Deanna stood at the door.

"k, Daddy?"

Sam and Sara where awakened by the sound of the door also they looked at one another a moment before Sara ran to check on the boys who where still asleep. She came back a second later so they snuggled up again.

"A fight?" Sara asked.

"You know Dean, he and Cassie fight hard and love hard I guess," Sam said as he lie his chin against Sara's forehead.

"I'm glad you're the calm one. I guess Dean got the sassy woman he needed," Sara said as they settled back down to sleep after they decided there wasn't going to be anymore loud outbursts.

"I'm sorry the noise woke you, Dee Dee, but you should get to bed," Dean said as he picked her up.

Deanna saw the handprint on this face and frowned.

"Daddy hurt?"

"I'll be fine, little Miss."

"Mommy hurt you?"

"Don't worry okay," Dean said as John watched with wonder at the two of them.

"Bad mommy."

"No Sweetie, bad Daddy, okay."

After a minute, she finally nodded, before John got up to take her back upstairs.

"I'll take her, you make up with your wife, quietly, please," he said as he patted Dean on the back.

"Night Daddy."

"Night."

Dean did not go back in the room he lay down on the sofa to think.

Cassie couldn't believe she had hit Dean, she could not stop the tears from flowing. What was she thinking? She had tried to do a good thing only for it to go horribly wrong. She held Cassidy close as the little girl looked at here mom unsure as to why she was not happy. She was used to smiles from her not sadness.

"Why did I do that, baby? I let my anger get the best of me this time. I hope your daddy will forgive me," Cassie said aloud.

"Da da da da da da," Cassidy said since its all she knew to say.

Cassie cuddled her next to her heart. Oh God I know you didn't bring me back to do something so stupid.

Dean wanted to know where Cassie had been, but why hadn't he just let her tell him in her own time. He knew she was mad when she came back. She had left no room for doubts even in her silence she had been seething. She never got into bed without so much as a hello before. Why had he blurted out about her whoring around? That wasn't how Cassie behaved, she had never been that way. He was sure all she had heard was the word whore. I am an idiot. Why does she put up with me? It is a miracle that she loves me at all, oh God. I asked for my wife back but not for this. I wanted to be a better person not a worse one. Help me. Help me to do the right things. If nothing else to think before I speak. Is anyone there?

A couple of hours later as Dean lay asleep on the sofa Cassie came in the room with Cassidy. She watched her husband sleep for a few minutes. He didn't look like he was resting. He seemed tense even in slumber. She lay Cassidy on his chest and he opened his eyes to look at her.

"I'm sorry for hitting you…. I never meant it to happen," she said as the wretched tears came again.

He held Cassidy against his chest so she wouldn't fall but he smiled at Cassie.

"Don't be sorry, Sweetie, after what I said you did what you had to. What I said was out of order, I was worried about you. I imagined all kinds of things had happened that you couldn't get home. Then you didn't answer your phone…Cas…"

"After the meeting I went to see a man about writing for him part time. He looked at my samples but said I wasn't good enough. I seriously think it was a racial issue. I got upset when I left him so I called Barbara and,,," she said as she bit her lip and leaned against his side.

Barbara Allen was Cassie's good friend from church; Barbara usually came over to hang out with Cassie and a couple friends. They made margaritas and talked about children and husbands. Dean figured everyone woman had to have someone to just be themselves with. Sara, when she was around joined in with the ladies too. It was good clean fun.

"You went for drinks, I could smell the alcohol."

Cassie snuggled next to him, "No matter what happened before I never wanted to hurt you."

"Shhh, its okay," he said as he pulled her close to him and Cassidy on the sofa.

"I don't deserve you Dean Winchester," she said.

"You know that's not true, you deserve better. I am sorry I hurt your feelings. Can you help me be a better person, Cas?"

Cassie told him that he was a good person he just allowed things to shape his view of himself. She swore to herself she would never be that angry again.

"I wanted to get an additional job that I could do at home so you wouldn't have to work so hard."

"Maybe this is a sign we are good at the level where we are, besides Dad says it never hurt a man to work hard." he teased before he leaned over to kiss her.

"You could be right," she grinned as she held in the rest of her story for later.

Invisible Realm

"GORG," a booming voice said.

"Oops," Gorg said as he looked up just before an invisible foot kicked him into the abyss.

The angels could hear his screams.

"We tried to tell him," Cassie's guardian angel said.

"Yeah, but he is allowed to harass, right?" the new angel asked.

"Sure but he encouraged the man to do more, and that could have had bad consequences for my charge."

"Oh, she still should have told her husband what happened."

"She will, but now she is only beginning to organize what occurred in her head. She is a good one but too stubborn at times," said the guardian.


TBC