Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A huge thanks to Renee Banks, you are the best editor ever. Thank you my friend.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Photobucket

 

 

The dimmed light wasn’t enough to hide her exquisite beauty. He would never get tired of watching her; it’d been a year since he’d first seen her.

Her presence still had the same effect on him. His body reacted promptly the moment she stepped on small stage. He couldn’t help it; he was captivated.

However, it hadn’t been her perfectly shaped body or her mouth watering milky chocolate skin that had caught his attention. Shaun had been staring at his half full glass of whatever he’d been drinking, lost in his thoughts, when he heard her speaking on the microphone.

“Good evening! I’ve only got time for one song tonight.” She said with a shy smile.

Shaun could have sworn his heart had skipped a beat. The moment he’d heard her soft voice his eyes became fixed on her. He felt overwhelmed with the sudden and unexpected rush of emotions flooding his heart.

Shaun had been battling with the idea of approaching her, but he just couldn’t gather the courage to do it. She seemed so young and although he wasn’t that old he certainly wasn’t in his twenties anymore.

Aaralyn was her name. He’d once heard someone calling her, that’s how he had found out. It was melodic just like her. That night when he got back home he checked on the internet for the meaning of this unusual name. With song; how fitting.

She’d probably think him a sick pervert preying on younger women, if she ever became aware of him watching her intently. He doubted she’d ever catch him. Shaun had always been careful not to be seen; he always chose to sit in the back of the bar, where she wouldn’t be able to notice him.

Shaun hadn’t thought he would ever feel this way about another woman again; not since his ex-wife walked out on him. He couldn’t have blamed her; he had been a mess since coming back from Iraq. Physically he had healed but emotionally he had been a wreck.

He was the first to admit he had changed; he had become withdrawn and inconsiderate to anyone else’s feelings. Thank God they hadn’t had any children, it would have only added to the heart break.

 ~~~~~~~~

Every Thursday Aaralyn would go to see her dear godfather, Victor Bryce, the owner of one of the most popular bars in Chicago. They shared the passion for music, something her parents didn’t care much for. She had been doing this for a few months, since she’d finished college. Every Thursday, Victor  would let satiate her thirst for singing.

At first, Aaralyn would step on stage and become lose in her own world with only the sound of the piano guiding her. But ever since she’d noticed him watching her, touching her with his eyes, she’d felt differently when singing. She had been singing for him, and only him.

When she stepped on stage she searched for his usual table. She knew he would be there but she still let out a relieved sigh.

She needed to know if he felt the same; Aaralyn looked at Shaun, their eyes locked and she started to sing.

Soft heavenly eyes gazed into me
Transcending space and time
And I was rendered still
There were no words for me to find at all
As I stood there beside myself
I could see you and no one else

When I saw you
When I saw you
I could not breathe, I feel so deep
When I saw you
When I saw you
I’d never be, I’d never be the same

With beginning and
Without an end
You are the one for me
It’s evident
And your eyes told me so
Your eyes let me know...

When I saw you
When I saw you
I could not breathe, I feel so deep
When I saw you
When I saw you
I’d never be, I’d never be the same...

 

Aaralyn waited for what seemed to be an eternity. She tilted her head, biting her lip anxiously. She was about to accept she had imagined the whole thing; What was I thinking?

Shaun’s mind was reeling. She had noticed me. He felt his whole body warm up. But any doubts he had before just vanished the second he saw the expectation in her eyes. Shaun smiled.

Aaralyn didn’t know one single smile could bring so much happiness.                                                                                            

 

 






Chapter End Notes:
the song is called When I saw you, by Mariah Carey.