Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter Three



“I didn‘t know Trey knew my mom.” I told Tatiana during lunch the next day. She furrowed her eyebrows and nodded vehemently.

“She knew my mom.” She explained. Last night was the first time I’ve ever heard my mom talk about Trey as if she knew him. Hell, I didn’t think she knew anyone in the area.

“Oh yeah, I‘m sorry to hear about her.” I told her, expressing my condolences. During the time when we weren’t hanging around each other, their mom passed due to Pulmonary Hypertension. I never got a chance to express my grievances to her.

“It‘s okay. I learn to deal with it better each day.” She rationalized with a sincere look about her face. “I have my good days and bad.” She stated, her tone indicating that she didn’t want to broach the subject any further, so I left it alone.

“My mom said that I could go, as long as there‘s no alcohol.” I told her, swiftly switching topics. The look of bewilderment told me that she had no idea about what I was talking about.

“What are you-” Stopping in mid sentence, she suddenly caught on to what I said. “Oh, the graduation party. Okay.” She said, laughing at her inability to catch on quickly.

“Yeah, I asked her this morning while we were eating breakfast.”

“By the way, Trey and Jarell loved that plate she sent. You‘re mom has blessed hands.” She told me, patting her belly. “That food was off the chain. I couldn‘t even get them niggas to share with me.”

“But you already ate at my place.”

“Yeah but it was so good, I couldn’t resist.” She said with a smile. The bell rang interrupting our conversation and signaling us back to class. We parted ways and finished off the rest of our humdrum day.


“Hey Tati, what are you doing here?” I asked her, stepping to the side to let her in my house. She came in and turned to face me just as I wiped the sleep from my eyes.

“I just wanted to see if you wanted to hang out at the park?” She asked turning the last part of her statement into a question. “Trey, Jarell and Tashawn and I were headed over there and I wanted to include you.” She offered. At the mention of their names, I had three reasons why I didn’t want to go. One: I liked Trey. Two: I liked Jarell as well, and Three: I hated Tashawn with a damn passion and didn’t want to be near him.

“I can‘t I have to do the dishes and vacuum and stuff.” I lied. I had already vacuumed earlier and we had a dishwasher.

“Aw man, well maybe you can stop by later on, like when you‘re done.” She suggested. Surprisingly, she didn’t press the issue and for that, I was glad. I don’t think my heart could take being close to Jarell and Trey for longer than a few minutes.

“I‘ll try.” I told her, not intending to actually come.

“See you later.” She said before opening the door and leaving. It was then that I saw Jarell and Trey sitting in Jarell’s Impala. Tashawn sat in the backseat behind Jarell burning a hole in me. Sticking his head out the window, Trey waved at me.

“Hey Mandy!” He called out boisterously. I smiled widely and waved back. He popped back in the door and turned to Jarell and nodded his head in my direction with a cocksure smirk. Jarell turned and looked at me with a smirk on his face as well before shaking his head and looking forward just as Tatiana got back into the car. My heart fluttered at their actions, wondering what Trey could have said to bring about that smirk on Jarell’s face. Closing the door, I leaned against it and exhaled deeply, placing my hand over my rapidly beating heart. I looked down and gasped sharply. It was then that I realized what they were looking at:

I only had on my sheer nightgown.

My cheeks burned like hell at the thoughts they may have had about me. Then again, who’s to say they were actually thinking about me. They could have been laughing at how stupid I looked in it. Either way, they still saw a part of me that I preferred to keep private.

“Oh my Bob!” I shrieked out loud after wallowing in my thoughts for a long time. Walking into the kitchen, I grabbed a Kiwi Strawberry flavored Vitamin Water and downed it just as quick as I opened it.

An hour later found me standing outside the gate of the park, looking for Tati. After receiving about two calls from Tatiana, I decided that it would be in my best interest to go to the park after all. She left pitiful voice messages about how bored she was so feeling sorry for her, I decided to go.

I felt relieved when I spotted her near the courts sitting in the bleachers but my relieved state didn’t last long when I saw who was surrounding her. Around her sat Jarell, Trey with Arielle right up under him and Tashawn.

“Great.” I mumbled under my breath before making my way over to them slowly. I took my time as I walked because I was in no way eager to be near the two people that hated me most and the two that I cherished dearly.

“You made it!” Tati squealed, once I was within earshot range. She stood up and met me halfway, hugging me tightly as her way of greeting me.

“Yeah, I heard your pitiful message.”

“At least you cared enough to stop by. Didn‘t I sound so lonely?” She asked in the same voice she used on the voicemail. I laughed at her and nodded.

“Lonely? More like pitiful.” I said with a grin as she punched me playfully in the arm.

“Oh hush.” She said walking back over to the bleachers. I quickly reached out to stop her before she got over there and flashed a pleading look.

“Um, do we have to go over there?” I asked in a softer than normal voice. She furrowed her eyebrows and looked back at the two pair of eyeballs that was grilling us and the two pairs that were ignoring us as usual.

“Why, what’s wrong?” She asked. “It‘s Tashawn and Arielle, isn‘t it? Look don‘t worry about it. I already told them that you were coming and to lay off on the jokes and stuff.” I felt a heavy burden lift from my shoulders a fraction of an inch.

“Okay.” I spoke just above a whisper.

“If you‘re still not comfortable, we can sit on the other side away from them.” She offered, just as I saw Tashawn get up and go over to his little group of friends that just arrived on the scene. I exhaled and shook my head at her offer. Now that he was no longer over there, I was a little more willing to go. I still had Arielle to face but she was so enthused with Trey’s presence, I doubt she would cause too much trouble. I still had to worry about sitting near two of the finest men in the world…at least my world.

“We can go.” I told her before walking over to them. When we got closer to them, Trey lifted his head away from Arielle and smiled in our direction. If I knew how to draw, I’d draw him just like that. Too bad, I couldn’t even draw a straight line with a ruler.

“Wassup Mandy?” He asked stretching his arms wide. My heart picked up speed at his gesture for me to actually hug him. Not wanting to look stupid, I walked into them and wrapped my arms around his shoulders as he gave me a slight squeeze. Oh my God, he’s touching me! I thought cheerfully.

“Hey, tell Nadine that she can cook for us any time she wants. That food she sent us last night had me feigning for more.” He said once he released me. His words made me smile brightly.

A barely audible, “Okay.” was all I managed to say before sitting next to Tatiana.

“Can you cook like that too? If so, I‘ll have to start paying you to come by the crib more often.” He said with a playful grin. I chuckled at him before taking a seat next to Tatiana. If only he knew that I’d do what he wanted…free of charge.

“I can cook.” I finally stated, answering his question. Growing up, my mom kept me at her side whenever she was cooking so that I could learn. At the time I hated it but over the years I grew to appreciate it.

“Hot damn. I may have to marry you now.” He joked. Although he was only kidding, I couldn’t help but blush openly at his words. The thought of having Trey to myself was enough to get me worked up over nothing.

“I can cook too baby.” Arielle interjected, souring my thoughts with her annoying voice. Trey simply stared at her before turning back to me, not even acknowledging her comment.

“So, like I was saying.” He said rudely before Jarell let out a breathless chuckle. Remembering that I was sitting right behind him, my body went frigid when I realized how close I was to him. His head was nearly in my lap. If he were to tilt his head back, it would land right on my knee. The thought of him touching me made me forget all about Trey briefly.

“What did you make on that Trigonometry test?” Tatiana asked, jolting me from my thoughts.

“A ninety six, what about you?” I asked just as her eyes went buck.

“You made a damn ninety six on that shit! I failed that bitch with a sixty seven.” She frowned and crossed her arms. “I am so jealous. I bet you went in your room and studied all night after I left last night, didn’t you?”

“Actually, I crashed out.” I told her as she nudged me with her elbow.

“I always knew you were smart.” She said with a proud smile. “Too bad it‘s not contagious. Now I have to stay after school next Friday to make that shit up.”

“Speaking of Friday, you going with us to Dwayne‘s party Mandy?” Trey asked, jumping into the conversation. I hadn’t even realized that they were listening in.

“Why she got to come?” Arielle asked with a stink attitude. I rolled my eyes at her and looked at Trey with confusion written all over my face.

“Party? What party? And who’s Dwayne?” I asked, ignoring her.

“A house party and Dwayne is my homeboy.” He answered sarcastically with a smile. I rolled my eyes playfully at him and shrugged my shoulders.

“I didn‘t know about it.”

“Sorry, I didn‘t think you‘d want to come so I didn‘t bother to ask.” Tatiana explained. She was right, I didn’t want to go and I was glad she didn’t ask because I’d be force to make up a lie about why I couldn’t go.

“I don‘t really do parties.” I told Trey with an apologetic look.

“Oh come on, it‘ll be fun.” He encouraged. I chuckled at him, realizing that both he and Tatiana never took the first answer as the final answer.

“Okay.” I said, just to get him off my case. When the time came around to actually go, I’ll just mysteriously catch a flesh eating disease that will hinder me from going.

“Man, that‘s bullshit. How is all of us going to fit in Jarell‘s car? Tashawn said he was going to come too.” Arielle croaked out.

“Tashawn’s riding with De.” Jarell spoke up. It was the first thing he said all day and his bass filled voice sent chills down my spine. He shifted a little causing his head to graze my kneecap just a little. Although he didn’t seem to feel it, that slight contact was enough to electrify my entire body. My knee tingled infinitely as if it had came to life and developed a mind of its own. If I could, I’d collect his DNA from my skin and frame it to cherish for an eternity.

“Girl, what the hell are you staring at so hard?” Tatiana asked, jarring me from my thoughts. I looked up only to find her, Trey and Arielle staring back at me.

“Looks like she was burning a whole in Jay.” Arielle said with a sinister smirk.

“I wasn’t.” I replied, hating the way my voice trembled from fear. I was indeed burning a whole into the back of his head as my mind drifted off.

“Aw, you crushing on my boy?” Trey asked. At his comment, Jarell lifted his head back and gazed up at me before focusing his attention to Trey. The act required his head to rest on my knee once again sending my heart and mind into a chaotic euphoria.

“No!” I answered suddenly, hating how tensed I seemed. “I wasn‘t looking at him.” My cheek flushed when Jarell gave me an inquisitive glance.

“Sure…” Trey said incredulously.

“I swear, I wasn‘t.” I denied, knowing they were far from believing me. Luckily for me, they dropped the conversation and moved onto another. However, my heart was still racing from what happened and I wanted to crawl under a rock.

“Come on.” Tatiana said grabbing my arm and pulling me up before I had a chance to even protest. After nearly tripping over both Trey and Jarell, I made my way down the bleachers and followed after her. She pulled me close to her side and leaned in as if someone may be around listening to us.

“Do you like Jarell?” She asked catching me completely off guard. As far as I was concerned, that conversation had long ended.

“No!” I shrieked, denying it to the fullest. I didn’t want a soul to know about my crushes. People tend to run their mouths and the last thing I wanted was for one of them to find out about it.

“Yes you do. It‘s okay to tell me, I won‘t tell anyone.” She told me, trying to ensure my trust in her. Going against my better judgment, I nodded.

“Only a little. Nothing serious.” I said, cringing at what she might say.

“Aw, join the club. Plenty of girls like him, I did too but he‘s too damn quiet for me.” She explained with a frown. “If you want, I can see if he‘s interested.”

“No! I don’t want to date him!” I said. I didn’t know the first thing about being in a relationship on the count of, I’ve never been in one before. I didn’t know what to expect when it came to relationships and I’d rather not find out. From what I’ve heard, they were horrible.

“I didn‘t say I was going to hook you two up. I just said I‘d see if he was interested in you.” She explained. Still, I shook my head vehemently. I didn’t want her asking him any questions pertaining to me. I didn’t even want him to think I liked him, let alone find out later that his assumptions were right.

“Don‘t…please.” I begged of her.

“Okay, I won‘t.” She said, the vibe she gave off told me that she wasn’t going to give up this easy. “But I want to so bad. You need a man.” She stated bluntly.

“I do not!”

“Yes you do. I bet you‘re still a virgin.” She teased.

“Actually, I‘m not.” I said as her eyes widened. Without warning, she released a ear-splitting scream, causing everyone nearby to look over at us. My heart did a somersault and kicked me in the lungs when I saw Trey and Jarell staring over at us. My breaths were now rapid, racing my sporadic heartbeat.

“Shut the hell up!!” She exclaimed. She grabbed my shoulders and shook me viciously.

“Okay.” I said with a smirk.

“Details! Who was it? When and where the hell was I?” Warming up to her, I smiled wanting to tell all about my sexual escapade. Since it happened, I haven’t told anyone about it.

“It happened when we weren‘t really talking. Remember Chris?” I asked as her eyes nearly fell out of her head.

“Sexy Chris with the green eyes?” She asked as I nodded. Chris was a guy that I used to hang with. Other than Tati, he was the only other friend I really had outside of my family.

“It happened before he moved back to Virginia.” I told her as my mind began to think back on that day. “It was hot that day and all I had on was a black sports bra and some yellow terry cloth shorts. He only had on jeans and had his shirt draped on his shoulders.”

“Damn, you remembered what the hell you two had on?” She asked, I laughed and nodded my answer before expressing it verbally.

“Yeah, you said you wanted details didn‘t you?” I asked, using her words against her.

“Continue.” She urged.

“Anyway, we went in the house and started goofing around, wrestling and whatnot. He pinned me to the ground and tickled me and stuff. I don’t know how but the tickling turned into him kissing me and the next thing I know, we were in my mom’s bed.” I told her as my cheeks burned.

“Ah! You fucked in your mom‘s room???” She shrieked. My face reddened even more when she yelled the last part out loud. I silently prayed that the earth would open up beneath me and swallow me whole. I looked around and exhaled deeply when I saw that no one was looking.

“What the hell? Tell the whole world why don‘t you!” I hissed. She threw me an apologetic look and leaned in close to me.

“Was he good? Was that the only time you two did anything? How big was he?” She asked as I laughed hysterically.

“He was alright, the pain was too much for me to actually enjoy it and yes, that was the only time.” I told her.

“You didn‘t answer that last question.”

“He wasn‘t huge but he wasn‘t small, just average.” I told her. She shook her head in amusement and gaped at me.

“I am so mad I‘m just finding out about this. The virgin Mandy lost her innocence.”

“Shut up you hooker-whore.” I laughed. “Oh! How come you didn’t warn me that I barely had any clothes on when I answered the damn door?” I snapped as she started laughing.

“I thought you knew!” She claimed.

“Hell nah, I was so embarrassed.” Even now, my cheeks burned, remembering how embarrassed I felt about the whole ordeal.

“Calm down, I don‘t even think anyone noticed or saw anything.” She lied horribly. Tatiana was so straight forward, the poor kid must’ve forgotten how to lie.

“You‘re lying!” I shouted, it was now my turn to be stared at by nosey onlookers. Staring blankly back at them, they turned away, leaving Amanda and I in our own world.

“Okay, well maybe Trey noticed…a little.” She laughed.

“Oh my goodness, I‘m going to die at a young age.” I stated with my face hidden in my hands. I normally took a nap after school and so therefore, I was asleep when she came by leaving me no time to change into something more decent.

Shaking her head at my comment she went on to another subject. Once it started to get dark, the younger crowd began to head on home and the older people started to drift in. At night, this park wasn’t the best place to be caught slipping at. It most definitely wasn’t the friendliest. Knowing this, Trey used Jarell’s car to take Arielle, Tatiana and myself home; for that, I was grateful since it saved me a walk.