Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Greedily she engorged without restraint. And knew not eating death. - John Milton, Paradise Lost.


Evelyn was still in bed when he arrived home. Sunlight streamed through the large floor to glass ceilings. She heard him as he ascended the spiral staircase, his footsteps…could people sound menacing with their footsteps? She wasn’t sure. Evelyn winced and curled down further in the white silk sheets.


He had been sympathetic at first and understanding. Evelyn could see that rage simmering underneath but knew, as always, that Aidan would never display his temper towards her.


Yet Evelyn had been surprised at Aidan’s reaction when he found out about the affair. He had treated her as the victim, the frail girl who had been tricked and manipulated.


“Lillian knows nothing about love” Aidan was rubbing her back as Evelyn sobbed into the pillows the first night Lillian had been arrested. “She did this to you to get back at me, this was her revenge, you do know that, don’t you?”


Evelyn didn’t respond but she stopped crying and Aidan continued on.


“Trust me, she isn’t a lesbian. And neither are you, for that matter. She-” Aidan broke off and chucked to himself, shaking his head, smiling at a private memory, “She can make anyone fall in love with her. Actually no, that’s not right, it’s more lust than love. She’s the queen of that.”


He had paused after that, silent for a few minutes before forcibly turning Evelyn around to look at him.


His eyes, those beautiful eyes that millions of his fans loved worldwide, were ice blue chips.


“You know the difference between love and lust, don’t you?”


And she had nodded, complacent as always, her voice hoarse from crying. Yes.


He was in the bedroom now.  Evelyn closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep, hoping that he would leave.


“Get up” His voice was terse. “Get out of bed now”.


Evelyn decided she would plead that the medications she was taking were making her feel sleepy. Instead, what came out was different, as if her voice had a mind and freewill of it’s own.


“Why bother? When she’s still gone?”


The sheets were thrown off and before Evelyn even had time to comprehend, Aidan had her upper arm in a tight grip. His face passive, the flat line of his mouth betraying his anger, he began to pull her down the stairs.