Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Authors Note: Happy Valentine's Day everybody. Tell someone you love that you love them!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


During his convalescence, Sam had plenty of time to think about his relationship with Tara. He’d always had strong feelings for her, but he’d come to understand that it had been infatuation rather than true love. Since the Merlotte’s had abandoned him 20 years earlier, he’d fantasized about having someone special in his life and building the perfect family. Like most fantasies, his didn’t include the stark realities of daily living. Since his injury, however, Sam realized that his feelings for Tara ran much deeper than even he thought possible. These last two weeks had opened his eyes to the fact that love meant much more than just romance and great sex; it also meant sticking together through good times and bad.

Since the accident Tara had done an excellent job of caring for him, even going so far as to take off work that first week so she could escort him to his doctor’s appointments. Furthermore, she’d organized the running of his businesses, managed her household, and taken care of a seven month-old baby, all while holding down a full-time job. She had stood by his side when a lesser person would have run. In short, Tara had proven herself to be a helpmate, a woman he knew he could count on through thick and thin. A woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. Unfortunately Tara had told him in no uncertain terms that she wasn’t interested in marriage, and Sam wasn’t sure that he could change her mind. The thought left him disheartened; he wanted Tara as his wife and he wasn’t willing to settle for anything less.

Sam sighed and switched on the computer; he hoped that reading through his e-mails would be enough to distract him from this depressing line of thought. After sifting through dozens of junk messages, one from Arlene caught his eye. The bill from Auzenne’s Arbor Service had arrived and she wanted permission to pay it. When Sam saw the amount he nearly fell out of his chair.

“What the hell!” he shouted in disbelief. Tara had called three different companies and this was the most reasonable? Sam pecked out a reply to Arlene, instructing her not to pay anything until she heard from him. Then he stomped into the bedroom for a change of clothes and his car keys. He was going to drive over to the apartments so he could see for himself what had cost so damned much.

Sam soon discovered that dressing with one arm was not only impractical but nearly impossible. Sitting on the edge of the bed, it took what felt to him like forever just to remove his pajama pants and pull on a pair of jeans. He aggravated his bruised ribs in the process and had to remain still for several minutes while he waited for the pain to subside. Next, he removed the sling so he could change shirts. Sam did this without hesitation, rationalizing that it would only be off for a short while and he needed both hands free to drive. His shoulder began to throb almost immediately. Ignoring the pain, he grabbed a T-shirt and tried to pull it over his head. Big mistake. He felt a ‘pop’ in his shoulder which was quickly followed by the sensation that his whole arm was on fire. The pain nearly took his breath away. Sam gasped and it felt like someone had taken a butcher knife to his left side. He fell on the bed writhing in agony. When he was able to move again, Sam opened the nightstand drawer and frantically searched until he found the Tylenol Tara kept there. He considered taking one of his prescription painkillers but quickly rejected that idea. They made him drowsy, and he needed to remain alert to drive. He shook out three of the capsules and swallowed them dry. Shirt half on, he stretched out on the bed, desperately waiting for the medication to kick in.

*********

“Time to go home, pumpkin,” Tara cooed as she strapped Maya into her car seat. Her mind was on Sam during the entire drive home. She was thrilled with the close bond that he and Maya had forged during his stay. Maya had been a daddy’s girl since they’d met, but now they were closer than ever. They had an evening routine: Sam would greet them at the door, take Maya, and immediately head for “their” chair in the living room corner. He used Coco, the stuffed dog he’d brought on his first visit, to ask Maya all about her day, speaking in a goofy voice that made her squeal with delight. Tara enjoyed watching the two of them engaged in the silly ritual, pleased that he was taking such an active role in their daughter’s life. Tara also looked forward to the private time that she and Sam spent together. Sometimes they’d talk, debating current events for hours on end. Sometimes they’d watch television, and sometimes they’d simply sit, enjoying a companionable silence while she read and he worked on his computer. If Tara were to be totally honest with her self, she’d have to admit that she took great pleasure in having Sam with them every day. His presence was a comfort, and there would be a void in their lives once he moved back to his trailer.

“And what exactly does that mean?” Tara wondered as she pulled into the driveway. Gathering Maya and her bag, Tara pushed the thought aside until later. She wasn’t ready to deal with it right now.

Sam was startled by the sound of Tara’s car in the drive and immediately glanced at the clock; it read 5:07. He must have fallen asleep, because the last time he checked it was 1:15.

“Oh shit!” he said aloud, knowing that Tara would be furious if she ever found out he tried to drive himself to the apartments. Heedless of the pain in his left side, Sam moved to hide the evidence. He stuffed his sling into the nightstand drawer then kicked his pajamas under the bed. Next he lay down, pulling the sheet up to his chin just as he heard Tara’s key in the lock.

We’re home,” Tara announced, entering the apartment with Maya balanced on one hip. She frowned when there was no answer; Sam usually greeted them at the door.

“Babe?” she called out tentatively; still no answer. He was probably in the bathroom she decided. Unworried, she headed to her room to change clothes and was shocked to see Sam in bed, his face pale and drawn. She immediately rushed to his side.

“Sam what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he lied. “I’m just a little tired.”

“Don’t give me that. You’re in pain; I can see it all over your face.” She laid Maya on the bed next to him. “Why didn’t you take one of your pills?” Tara asked, opening the nightstand to retrieve them. The first thing she saw was his sling. She held it up, puzzled.

“Why aren’t you wearing this?” She glanced at Sam, who refused to meet her eye. Tara snatched back the covers to find him dressed in jeans and a partially-donned T-shirt.

“What the hell…” she started, then noticed his shoulder and arm. Both were red and swollen. “Oh my god! I’m calling the doctor.”

“Don’t do that!” he objected, but she was already speaking into the phone.

“Okay, we’re on our way now,” she said before hanging up. She returned her attention to Sam. “Dr. Qureshi is still in her office; the nurse said to bring you in immediately.

Sam thought about protesting, but the pain in his arm was excruciating. He sat quietly while Tara helped him into his shoes, but when she tried to pull the T-shirt down over his injured arm he cried out in agony. He stood and rushed to the bathroom, barely making it in time before he began retching.

Tara was right on his heels. “Oh Jesus Sam,” she said, knowing this had to be torture on his injured ribs. She wet a cloth and wiped his face.

“Can you make it to the car?” she asked when he seemed more stable. He nodded in reply, still unable to speak. They both heard a soft thud from the bedroom.

“The baby!” Tara cried; she’d left her alone on the bed in her rush to help Sam. She raced out of the bathroom in panic only to be met by a smiling Maya, calmly crawling down the hallway in search of her parents.

“Mommy’s so sorry.” Tara said, scooping her up and kissing her cheek. “Now let’s go take care of daddy.”

**********

Dr. Qureshi clucked her tongue as she examined Sam’s shoulder.

“You’re a very lucky man Mr. Merlotte. You pulled a muscle but didn’t dislocate your shoulder again.”

“Will he have to wear the sling longer?” Tara asked.

“No. He’ll be fine--provided he doesn’t take it off again,” the doctor said, giving Sam a hard look.

“Yes ma’am,” he said quietly.

Dr. Qureshi turned to face Tara. “I’ve given him something for the pain and swelling. He should rest comfortably tonight.”

“Thank you for agreeing to see us so late.”

“We really need to stop meeting like this.”

“I know. I’ll try to make sure he behaves himself from now on.”

“Good luck with that!” Dr. Qureshi said with a laugh. She paused to chuck Maya’s chin. “And who’s this little lady?”

“Our daughter,” Sam answered proudly.

“She’s a beauty. And I’m sure she wants her father in one piece. Remember that the next time you think of getting up to any more foolishness.”

***************

Tara was unusually quiet during the ride home. She hadn’t even asked why he’d removed the sling, something Sam found odd. Finally he couldn’t stand the silence any longer.

“I’m sorry Tara,” he said contritely.

“It’s okay.”

“Arlene sent me the invoice for the tree service today; I wanted to drive over and see what they did for that amount of money.” He waited a few beats for Tara to respond, expecting her to go ballistic. When she remained quiet he continued his explanation.

“I know it was stupid and I should’ve asked you to take me, but I got so upset when I saw the bill that I just couldn’t wait.”

Tara said nothing.

“Can you drive me over there this weekend?” he asked, desperate to break the silence.

“Mm hmm,” Tara replied distractedly.

“She must really be pissed,” Sam thought to himself as they pulled into the driveway. Tara Mae Thornton in a rage was a terrifying sight to behold, but he much preferred that to the silent treatment he was receiving now.

Tara pulled a sleeping Maya from her car seat and they all trooped into the house. She placed the baby in her crib and returned to Sam in the living room.

“You hungry?” she asked.

“A little bit.” In truth he was starved; he hadn’t eaten since breakfast but he wasn’t about to tell her that. Sam didn’t want to make her any angrier than she already was.

Tara fixed a couple of sandwiches and heated a can of soup. She served them to him with a glass of iced tea then headed out of the kitchen.

“Aren’t you going to join me?” Sam asked, surprised. They’d eaten supper together every night since he’d been there.

“Nah, I’m not really hungry. I’m going to take a shower.”

She was avoiding him.

“Tara, say something,” he pleaded.

“Like what?”

“I don’t know. Yell at me. Tell me what a damn fool I am. Just don’t freeze me out like this.”

Tara kissed his forehead and gave him a tired smile. “Babe, I’m not freezing you out, I’m exhausted. It’s been a long evening so I just want to get cleaned up and fall into bed.”

Sam immediately felt guilty. He had never thought of how severely his little escapade had disrupted their routine. Both she and the baby had missed their supper, and Maya had had to stay up way past her bedtime. To top everything off, Tara had to get up early and for work the next morning. Sam ate his meal in misery, feeling like the biggest jackass in the world.

Tara felt terrible for avoiding Sam, but she needed time alone with her thoughts. As the hot water sluiced over her body, she reflected on her feelings for him. She could no longer ignore the truth that she’d been denying for the last couple of weeks: she had fallen in love with him. She had no idea when or how it had happened, but seeing him this evening, helpless and in pain. had brought all her nurturing instincts to the forefront. Unfortunately, Tara had a 100% failure rate when it came to relationships, which was why her motto had always been “never get in too deep.” Now she was in way over her head, and the realization scared the hell out of her.

***********