Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Tara

The move to Bon Temps went more smoothly than Tara anticipated. She had found a small duplex apartment that was quiet, affordable, and located in a decent area of town. Best of all, it was close to her new job and the daycare Maya would be attending. It needed some sprucing up, so the landlord had waived the security deposit since Tara was willing to do the painting and minor repairs herself. With the help of Lafayette, Jason, Jesus, and Sookie, the work was completed in a couple of days. She still needed a few finishing touches: kitchen curtains, a new bedspread, a baby monitor since Maya would now have her own room, and a few other odds and ends. So she, Sookie, and Maya were at Walmart when Sam Merlotte approached.

"Hey ladies," he said, giving Tara a hug and kiss on the cheek. "I heard you were back in Bon Temps. Sorry I didn't get a chance to see you sooner. Tommy just finished basic training and I was out of town for the graduation." He looked at the baby nestled in Sookie's arms. "And this must be Maya."

He held a finger out to Maya, who grasped it and gave him a huge, toothless smile. He laughed. "Mind if I hold her?" he asked Tara, who nodded.

"Let me get a good look at you." He lifted Maya high in the air, making her squeal with laughter. "Little lady, your pictures didn't do you justice." He looked at Tara. "She's beautiful, just like her mother."

"Thanks." Tara, watching Sam play with Maya, was struck by the resemblance between father and daughter: she had Sam's smile. Of course she'd noticed it before, but with the two of them side by side the resemblance was unmistakable. She hoped neither Sookie nor Sam saw it; luckily, both seemed totally oblivious.

"So, you coming back to work for me?" Sam asked, bouncing Maya on his shoulder.

"I have a job at the college" Tara replied, wishing that Sam would just shut up and be on his way.

"Well, the offer stands. If you ever decide you want to come back, just let me know."

"I will." Unfortunately for Tara, Sam was in no hurry to leave. He escorted them throughout the store, chatting incessantly and cradling Maya, who had drifted off to sleep, on his shoulder.

She nearly had a heart attack when they ran into Maxine Fortinberry.

"Tara! Nice to see you. Sookie, you didn't tell me Tara was back in town." She turned her attention to Sam. "Oh, what a lovely baby!" she exclaimed, trying to get a better look at Maya. "Is she yours, Sam? You been sowing wild oats?"

Sam smiled sheepishly. "No, ma'am. I wish I could take credit for this little beauty, but she's Tara's girl."

"Is that right?" Maxine turned back to Tara. "Nobody told me you had a baby. Is the father here with you?"

Before she could answer, Sookie piped up. "How's Hoyt? Are he and Jessica enjoying married life?"

Maxine began stammering and made some excuse to leave. After she waddled off, Sam chuckled and Tara smiled thanks at her friend.

"Actually, I gotta run myself," Sam said, handing Maya over to her mother. "Tara, don't be a stranger. And remember, your old job is always there if you want it."

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind."

Sookie

Sookie noticed that Tara seemed ill at ease in Sam's presence. She was surprised. Why would Tara feel uncomfortable around Sam Merlotte of all people? Was there bad blood between them? Was Sam one of the reasons Tara had high-tailed it out of town in the middle of the night? When they encountered Maxine Fortinberry she thought her friend would drop dead on the spot. Then again, Maxine had that effect on most people. When she began asking nosey questions about Maya's father, Sookie put a stop to it by asking after Hoyt, knowing that his vampire wife was a major bone of contention between mother and son. The question had the desired effect: Maxine had beat a hasty retreat.

<<That was close. If Big Mouth had figured out that Sam is Maya’s father  it would have been all over town before she made it through the checkout line.>>

Sookie hadn't meant to pick up on her friend's thoughts, but when Tara was stressed or highly emotional it was almost impossible not to.

Not wanting to make a scene in public, Sookie kept quiet as they completed their shopping. She even held her peace on the ride back to Tara's, waiting until they were in the apartment and Maya was in her crib before confronting her.

"So, when are you going to let him know?"

"When am I going to let who know what?" Tara asked, startled.

"Don't you play coy with me, Tara Mae Thornton. You know exactly what I'm talking about. When are you going to tell Sam that Maya is his daughter?" Sookie hissed. The baby sleeping in the next room was the only thing that kept her from shouting.

"What?" Tara cried, taken aback. "You been talking to Lafayette? I'm going KILL that man."

"Lafayette didn't tell me anything. You mean he knows and Sam doesn't?"

"If Lafayette didn't tell you, then how the hell did you find out?" Tara demanded. "You read my mind didn't you? How dare you…"

Sookie cut her off. "I wasn't trying to; it came screaming out of your head when Maxine asked about Maya's father. But that's not the point and you're not changing the subject. The point is that Maya is Sam's daughter and he has the right to be part of her life."

"Don't you think I know that? I'm going to tell him. I'm just waiting for the right time."

"The right time? Tara, Maya is four months old. Think of all the stuff he's already missed. You NEED to tell him."

"I know," Tara sighed. "And I promise I will."

"Soon?" Sookie asked.

"Soon."

Sam

It had been good seeing Tara after so long. She looked great…motherhood definitely agreed with her. He had been devastated when she left, although he worked hard not to show it. Even though he had been the one who encouraged her to "reboot" her life and make a fresh start, he had secretly hoped that she would decide to stay in Bon Temps and make that fresh start with him.

When he heard the news a few months later that she was expecting a baby, it felt like a kick in the gut. She had found someone else and moved on with her life. It was confirmation that whatever they had was officially done, and he had no choice but to accept it. He thought he was over her.

However, seeing Tara and Maya in the store today let him know that he was anything but over her.

*******