Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Terry Bellefleur, Sam's sometimes bartender, busboy and short order cook, moved hastily behind the bar. A troubled frown marred his rugged features. "Sorry I'm late, Sam," he said, tying an apron around his waist. "My dog's sick again."

"It's alright Terry," Sam said, taking several large bills from the teal and placing them in a deposit bag. "I'm just glad you could make it on such short notice. Is Scrapper gonna be okay?"

"I ain't sure. I think somebody poisoned 'im. I swear if I find out who done it, I'm gonna kill the bastard."

Scrapper was Terry's third hound dog in the past two years. He was convinced that someone was deliberately killing his dogs. Sam thought it was just a case of bad luck, but at this moment, he had other things on his mind. He'd been counting the minutes since Tara had stormed out the bar. Sam couldn't remember seeing Tara so upset. He wouldn't be able to rest unless he knew for sure she was alright.

"I'm sure he'll recover," said Sam, backing towards the door. "Tell Arlene to show the new girl, Rachelle, how to subtract her tips again. She came up short last night."

Terry nodded, his eyes shifting nervously down at his booted feet. Was it Sam's imagination or did Terry just blush when he mentioned Arlene's name?

"Call my cell if you need anything."

"Alright," said Terry.

Sam hurried across the parking lot to his pickup truck. When he got to Sookie's house, it was a little after nine. All was quiet. The surrounding woods and nearby clearing looked undisturbed. The only illumination came from two motion lights hanging from a nine foot post next to the gravel driveway. Sam bounded up the steps and peered through the front window. There were no signs of movement.

Where is she?

He lifted his nose and sniffed. The faint scent of honeydew, vanilla, and spice, Tara's favorite fragrance, lingered in the breezy night air. Sam followed the scent to the back of the house. His heart sank when he saw that Tara's car wasn't parked in its usual spot. He was tempted to sit on the porch and wait, but quickly discarded the idea. The last thing he wanted was Tara thinking he was stalking her.

Disappointed, he went back to his truck. He'd just have to settle for seeing her at Merlotte's tomorrow. As Sam climbed into the cab, he got another idea. Perhaps after work, he could ask her over to his trailer to watch a movie. They could stay up talking until morning like they did three nights ago. His thoughts drifted back to that night, recalling the coolness of her bare skin against his leg, the soft rhythmic breathing that tickled his chest hairs as she slept. He'd been amazed by how good it felt to just hold her and watch her sleep. As they lay in the darkness with her head on his chest, their limbs fitted together like the black and white halves of a ying-yang sign, Sam felt a sliver of hope.

Maybe things will be different between us this time, he thought. I won't have to be alone anymore. We both can be happy. Maybe…

Sam turned the key in the ignition, backed out the driveway and turned onto the main road. He headed westbound back to his trailer. He couldn't help thinking how nice it would be if Tara was there waiting for him when he got home.

The next day, Tara arrived to work right on time. She seemed different, but in a good way. She was more subdued than normal, but carried out her duties with efficiency and hadn't snapped at one customer. Things were going well and by the time the lunch rush was over Sam had built up the courage to approach her.

"Hey Tara, you mind if I talk to you for moment." He asked, rubbing the back of his neck, a tell-tell sign that he was nervous.

"Whassup, Sam?" She said indirectly while placing another beer in front of Jane Bodehouse who was sitting at the bar.

"Uh, it's kind of personal." He said, waiting for her to look his way.

She did, and came to stand in front of him. "Something wrong?" she asked, giving him a quizzical look.

"No, it's nothing like that." Sam glanced around to see if anyone was listening. "I was wondering if you wanna come over tonight to, uh, watch a movie?"

Tara looked at him intently before answering.

"I can't, Sam."

"Is it too soon? I-I mean I ain't trying to pressure you or nothing. I just thought that after spending the night together, we could hang out some more. You said you didn't like being at Sookie's alone, so I thought-"

"No-no, it's nothing like that and I appreciate the offer," she said, trying to reassure him. "It just I already made plans."

"Oh. With who?" A twinge of jealousy rippled through him, but he managed not to show it.

"It's just Lafayette. He's taking me out for some, uh, family bonding time."

Sam let out a breath he hadn't realize he was holding.

"T-that's good," he stammered.

"Maybe next time," she said, smiling.

"Yeah, sure, next time."

Tara nodded then went back to the other end of the bar.

Shit! So much for things being different.

Sam turned his attention back to his task of emptying the new shipment of True Blood and placing them in the cooler. When he looked up, he noticed Jason Stackhouse was sitting at a booth alone. Lately, it seemed Jason didn't come into the bar unless he was accompanied by either Andy or Hoyt. The whole time he was eating, Jason's eyes were riveted on Tara. The jealousy that Sam felt only moments ago welled up again twice as strong. Why was Jason watching Tara's every move? And what was that strange look on his face? Was Jason interested now that he knew Tara was available?

Sam knew that Tara had always carried a torch for Jason. The two had known each other since they were knee high. She once told Sam that when she and Jason were kids, he used to protect her by letting her hide out at his grandmother's house whenever Tara's mother was in one her drunken rampages. Tara's eyes had lit up when she spoke of Jason's bravery, standing up against her mother.

Sam frowned. If Jason really did want Tara, he wondered where that would leave him.

Tara bent over to pick up the cloth she dropped, showing off her shapely bottom in a pair of hip-hugging black Capris. Sam swallowed hard. The room seemed to go up 10 degrees. He turned to see if Jason was still watching. Sam's eyebrows furrowed, seeing the guilty look on Jason's face when their eyes met. That did it. Sam was already contending with the memory of a dead lover. He wasn't going to compete with Jason Stackhouse for Tara's affections too. He picked up a beer out of the cooler and walked over to Jason's booth.

He placed the beer on the table, much harder than he attended. The impact caused Jason to jump.

"Jesus, man!" he said.

"Sorry," Sam said, flatly. He slid the beer in front of Jason's plate. "You want another beer."

"Sure."

"So where's Andy?"

"I don't know. On duty, I guess."

"I'm surprise to see you here without him. It's seems you two are like partners in crime lately."

Jason gave him a sharp look. "Whatcha trying to say? You accusing me of something?"

"No. I'm just surprise, is all. I never figured you and Andy for best buds."

Jason took a swig of his beer and let out a small belch. "Andy ain't so bad once you get to know 'im."

He was eyeballing Tara again and Sam didn't like it one bit.

"How's Tara holding up?" Jason asked all of sudden.

"She's seems to be doing better," Sam answered with caution.

"It's got to be hard on her, losing her boyfriend like that. The whole situation was fucked up."

Sam's eyes narrowed. "Why you so concern? You plan on taking his place?"

Jason tore his eyes away from Tara to give Sam an incredulous look.

"No way," he said. "That would be like dating my own sister."

"Is that right?" Sam said, not bothering to hide his skepticism.

"You damn right it is. I've known Tara about as long as I can remember. She seen me at my absolute worst and witness things I'd be too embarrassed for any other woman to know besides, Sookie. She's about as close to kin as anybody can get without being a blood relation."

"That's good to hear," he said relieved.

"Hey, Sam," Tara called. "I'm gonna go take my break."

She was grinning and Sam couldn't help grinning back.

"Sure, cher."

"You mind if Lafayette takes his break with me, so we can finalize our plans for tonight?"

"Alright. We're slow right now so tell Lafayette to go ahead."

Sam watched as she headed towards the hallway leading to the back exit with Lafayette in tow. He was still grinning.

"Man, you got it bad, don't you?" said Jason, with a knowing smile.

Sam had forgotten he was there. Jason didn't have a reputation for being too bright, but he could be very perceptive at times. Sam thought about lying, but what was the use. He did have it bad and didn't care if Jason or anyone else knew it.

"Is it that obvious?" he asked.

Jason nodded. "I may not be able to read minds like Sookie, but I can definitely read body language."

"Is that right?"

"Yep, and yours is definitely giving off horny vibes."

"I really do care about Tara," Sam admitted. "But with everything that's happened, I don't think the time is right to tell her."

"You shittin' me, right? Now's the perfect time to tell her. She's vulnerable, lonely, and needs a strong shoulder to cry on. It might as well be yours. How you think I got that hot widow, Eileen Craddock, that time?"

"You don't think I'd be taking advantage?"

"You're a good man, Sam, and I love Tara like a sister. You think I'd be encouraging you if I thought you were taking advantage. Tara's needs somebody who'll be good to her. She's had nothing but turmoil most her life. She acts like she's tough all the time because she thinks that's only way she can keep from getting hurt. But I've seen her tender side and know underneath all that hardness she ain't no different from any other woman. She wants to find love and be desired. I just hope it happens for her before it's too late."

Sam raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean by too late?"

Before Jason could answer, Sam heard loud voices coming from the rear of the building. He couldn't make out exactly what they were saying, but it sounded as if a man and woman were arguing. Sam wasn't the only person who noticed. Some of the other customers were turning their attention in the direction of the back exit.

Sam excused himself and went down the hall to the back door where Tara and Lafayette had exited. The door was slightly ajar.

Sam leaned forward to listen.

"I changed my mind. I ain't doing it. It's too fucking dangerous," Lafayette was saying, in an angry voice.

"I asked you to do one thing for me, Lafayette, and you go back on your word. This is fucked up. You suppose to have my back. You promised."

"Hooker, don't even try running that guilt trip shit with me. You right, I am your family and the only one who gives a shit that's why ain't helping your fool ass get into more trouble. You gonna get yourself hurt, Tara. I'm only looking out for you, girl."

"Fuck you! I don't need you to do shit for me. Matter of fact, we ain't family no more."

"Tara! Tara!"

Tara was marching towards the door, an angry scowl frozen on her face. Sam quickly moved away from door and down the hall. He didn't want Tara and Lafayette to know he'd been ease-dropping on their conversation. He went back to the bar and tried to look busy by rearranging shot glasses. Tara came in a few seconds later, looking angry enough to spit nails.

"Tara, you alright?" He asked.

"I'm fine." She snapped. It was obvious she wasn't, but Sam didn't press the issue.

She went to the other end to the bar where Jane Bodehouse and a few other regulars were sitting, nursing their beers. They grew silent, giving Tara wary looks as she approached.

"What the fuck y'all looking at?" She said, glaring at each of them in turn.

Oh shit! This was all he needed. Sam already lost a small percentage of his customers on account of the two murders that happened on his property. He couldn't afford to let Tara run off the rest.

"Tara!" Sam called.

"What!"

"I need to talk to you in private," he said, tilting his head pointedly towards his office door.

"Shit," she grumbled loud enough for him to hear.

Sam followed her into his office and closed the door behind them.

She turned to face him, crossing her arms over her chest. She refused to meet his gaze.

"Tara, I told you before that you can't talk my customers like that."

"You called me in here over a bunch of stupid ass drunks?"

"Drunks or not, they're still my customers. They're the reason why Merlotte's stays open and how I pay you and everybody else's salaries. I can't let you run them off with your bad attitude."

"Well excuse the fuck out me for having a bad day, but my boyfriend was shot dead by a redneck cop in your parking lot just four days ago. Sorry if I'm not totally over it yet."

Sam ran a hand through his hair then stared at her intently.

"I know you're going through a lot and I'm sorry for your lost. I realize now having you come back to work so soon was bad idea."

Tara planted her hand on her hip. "What the fuck is that suppose to mean?"

Sam let out an aggravated sigh. "It means I want you to take some time off, effective immediately."

"I don't want to take time off." She answered stubbornly.

He gave her his most serious look to let her know he meant business.

"It's not a request, Tara. You take the time or else."

"Or else what? You'll fire me? You think I give a shit about this job!" Her eyes flashed with fiery rage. "I've been fired and quit a dozen jobs before this one. So fuck you, Sam Melotte. Fuck this job, fuck this racist, redneck town and every fucking body in it. I don't need y'all for shit!"

She threw the door open. It hit the wall with a loud bang as she marched out. Sam didn't bother to call her back. He knew she wouldn't have returned if he begged her too. And he wasn't going to beg.


Tara got into her car and headed back to the home she shared with Sookie. This was all Andy's fault, she told herself. If he hadn't killed Eggs she wouldn't feel the need for revenge. She wouldn't have asked her cousin, Lafayette, for help. She wouldn't have gotten mad after Lafayette changed his mind and she wouldn't have taken her anger out on Sam. She felt bad about that. Sam had only been concerned about losing his customers and she couldn't fault him for that. She wouldn't blame him if he did fire her. She'd given him just cause plenty of times. None of that really mattered now. Her only concern was making sure Andy Bellefluer paid for what he'd done. She'd go to Shreveport and talk to Eric Northman herself. She didn't need Lafayette as a go between. Sookie dated and mingled with vampires all the time. It couldn't be that hard to attract one. She already had the one thing they wanted, which was blood, though she had no intension of letting Eric or any other vamp get close enough to bite her.

It was after sunset when she arrived home. Tara began searching through her closet for something to wear. She was frustrated when she couldn't find anything she thought suitable for a night out at a vampire bar. Maybe Sookie had something she could borrow. She went upstairs and searched her best friend's closet. She finally came across a slinky red dress, one she never seen Sookie wear before. It tied around the neck, leaving the shoulders and most of the back exposed. It had a high bodice and flared out at mid-thigh. She held it in front of her and stared at her reflection in Gran's antique full length mirror. It looked perfect against her radiant dark skin. If this didn't attract Eric's attention, then he must been deader than she thought. She hurried downstairs with the dress in hand. She was on a mission: How to seduce a vampire and make him do your bidding. What she didn't know was that Eric Northman was no ordinary vampire.






Chapter End Notes:
Thanks again for reading.  Please don't leave me wondering, leave a review and let me know what you think!