Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Don’t do it.”

Evangeline blinked incredulously. “Don’t do it,” she repeated. “That’s your advice?!”

Todd nodded his head slowly as she tried to comprehend what he was trying to say to her.  After venting her anger at the possibility of the love of her life marrying her nemesis, Evangeline outlined her plan to exact revenge.  The only problem with her plan is that her “ace-boon-coon” threw a wrench in it.

“Let me get this straight,” Evangeline sneered, “you, the MASTER of revenge plans, are telling me to call it off?” She stared at him like he lost his mind.

He almost laughed out loud at her facial expressions, but he didn’t think it would be appropriate considering how angry she was. “Van, I didn’t realize you knew me so well,” he placed his hands against his chest femininely and batted his eyes.  Evangeline started laughing and punched him in the chest playfully. “But seriously, although I like the title of MASTER,” he wiggled his eyebrows lecherously, “I don’t see a problem with you getting revenge; it’s your plan that stinks.”

Todd Manning was so overjoyed to hear from her that he skipped the remainder of McBain’s bachelor party, as if he was having any fun.  He was still out to lunch about the unholy pairing of the brooding police chief and the buxom red-head tramp. Nevertheless, she finally got her man and McBrooding finally accepted her proposal…any woman who proposed to a man 20 times had to be desperate.  After asking him numerous times in private, she decided to take her plan public.  It was the joke of Llanview for three years…the first year she took out a page in the Llanview Morning News; the next year, she used the highway billboard; and last year, she gathered all of their family and friends together for a dinner party, made a heartfelt speech about finding her “soul mate” and John accepted her proposal. Frankly, Todd thought John accepted her proposal to shut her up.  With Evangeline back in town, he wasn’t sure how long Natalie’s happiness would last.  Although Todd mourned Evangeline, he gave his heart to his lost love, Tea once she returned to Llanview and he was making a conscious effort to curb some of his “bad boy” ways…somewhat. Evangeline brought him back to the present.

“So, running in the church to bust up his wedding is a bad idea?” Evangeline questioned, looking at him expectantly. She thought her idea was a great one because it would accomplish three things: it would break up the wedding; embarrass the hell out of Natalie, that wannabe Buchanan; and win back the love of her life, quite naturally. “I don’t see how it’s a bad plan, Todd.”

“Of course, you don’t, “Todd bragged, “that’s why I’m the MASTER, remember?” Evangeline groaned and rolled her eyes. “The problem with your plan, my dear, is that it is unoriginal,” he chided.  “Think about it,” Todd explained, shaking his head, “just about everyone and their momma who wants to break up a wedding, interrupts the minister, and cry fake tears screaming their “I love you”.

Evangeline interrupted, “So, what do you suggest I do…Let them get married?!”


“Yes.” That simple answer was not what she wanted to hear.  She went into lawyer mode, citing all the reasons why she should break up John and Natalie’s wedding…quite simply…because she…loved…McBain.  Finally out of reasons, she sat back in the booth and dreaded what she may hear from Todd.

“Evangeline, let me be the voice of reason here and ask you a couple of questions, okay?” Todd stated. “First question, have you spoken to your family about waking up from your coma?”

“No.”

Todd looked at her, square in the eyes, “Next question: How would your family react to hearing about your return on the news?” Tears begin forming in her eyes and she looked down, fingering the salt shaker.

“Hmm, no answer, Counselor?” Todd questioned softly. “How would your friends here in Llanview react to your sudden reappearance to bust up John’s wedding?” Using his hand, he touched her chin and raised her head to look in her eyes now filled with tears tricking down her cheeks.

“Evangeline, this revenge plan that you’re set upon carrying out is not you, “he confided, “because you haven’t considered your family and friends’ reactions to your return.” He went further, “I’m not saying that you shouldn’t exact revenge but you need to notify some key people before you do.”

He grabbed some napkins for her to wipe her eyes.  He really felt sorry for her.  Here was a woman who lost 3 years of her life only to wake up to find that the love of her life was marrying someone else. He thought back to the numerous times she put her life and career in jeopardy to save him.  For those reasons alone, he kept tabs on her progress at the nursing facility.  He knew how strong willed she was and he hoped-no, he prayed that her strength and her life would return. Now, here she was sitting before him wanting to return to her lover…not her family, nor friends, or even her career….all she wanted was that dope, John McBain and Todd Manning was going to help her do it…the right way.

He looked around the diner. Only 3 people were there, nursing coffees and cheeseburgers but the good thing was that none of these diners knew Evangeline. Cristian took over the diner last year when his mother, Carlotta, retired.  He was at John’s bachelor party and Layla hadn’t visited the diner since her doctor placed her on bed rest, so she wouldn’t jeopardize the upcoming delivery of her daughter.  No one Evangeline knew ever came here anymore except John McBain.

Evangeline finally spoke. “Todd, thank you for shedding a little light,” she smiled sheepishly as she finished wiping her eyes. Todd Manning always knew what to say to make her feel better, and she was glad that he was the only friend who knew that she was alive and in Llanview. “I’m still angry though, and that bitch ain’t getting my man,” she asserted, “I know you don’t expect me to sit idly by and watch Natalie marry John.”

Todd remembered that Evangeline was always a spitfire who didn’t back down from a good fight, inside and outside the courtroom.  Trying to get her to see things his way was more difficult than he thought so he had to come up with a better solution to keep her from charging ahead recklessly. “Okay, no offense but I have a better plan,” Todd argued.  “Let’s keep in mind that the wedding is tomorrow and you have to act fast.”

“Like I said, busting up the wedding is a g-“ Evangeline said.

Todd countered, “What I mean is the first thing you have to do is notify your immediate family, a few of your friends, and set up a press conference pronto.” Todd went into full blown planning mode. Evangeline was right when it comes to revenge he was definitely a master. “You need to make sure that your press conference is seen by all of Llanview before the wedding.” He looked at his watch. “We have exactly 15 hours until the wedding.”

Evangeline thought about all that Todd just said and asked, “So, what about my plan to show up at the church and bust up the wedding?” She definitely wanted to see the look of shock on Natalie’s face when the minister ask, “If anyone has just cause…” and Evangeline jump up with a “HELLLL, YEAH!!” Todd interrupted her daydream drama when he said, “Again, your plan is unoriginal and after the press conference, do you really think McBain will be in any frame of mind to marry Natalie?!”

Evangeline practically shrieked her delight. “Oh my God, Manning, “ she exclaimed, “that is brilliant!” She leaned across the table and hugged him tightly.

Todd hugged her and leaned back. “Wait a minute, sugar,” he cautioned, “there is something more I have to say.” Evangeline was just so happy that John would not be marrying that evil witch that she was willing to do whatever Todd suggested. “Oh, okay, “ she said, “What else will I have to do?”

“I need you to focus on just being yourself, “ Todd advised, “because in the end, that is what you want John to see.”  He knew she would have a problem processing this so he rushed on.  “Evangeline, baby,” he said softly, taking both of her hands in his, “I know you want to resort to high theatrics and drama to embarrass Natalie but you need to handle it in a more subtle way.” Evangeline looked at Todd, shaking her head affirmatively. “Here is what you need to do.”

For the next couple of hours, Todd and Evangeline mapped out her plan of revenge.  He felt that she should use his condo as a hideout until the big press conference reveal.  They paid for their coffees and left the diner heading toward his condo.

After a couple hours of sleep, Evangeline Williamson called her mother in Paris who fainted at hearing her voice. She gave all the important details to her new stepfather. Next she called Layla and Cristian, who started screaming, crying, and demanding to know why she didn’t tell them sooner. She promised them that she would sit down with them and answer all their questions but she needed to get some things done. Todd sat next to her on the couch while she made both phone calls and she thanked him again for advising her on contacting her family. While she was on the phone with her mother and Layla, Todd called every reporter within a 100 mile radius of Llanview to arrange a press conference at Buchanan Towers.  He promised them that what he was about to reveal was definitely newsworthy. The next person on Evangeline’s list was Nora and she just knew that it was going to be hard breaking the news to her over the phone, no doubt. When Nora heard Evangeline’s voice the only thing she said was, “You’re in Llanview. Where are you and you better not lie to me!”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

At eight am, a black envelope with gold lettering was delivered to one Natalie Buchanan, a bride to be, preparing for her wedding.  Thinking it was a gift from John, she opened the envelope and pulled out the gold embossed card that simple read,

Congratulations on your impending nuptials!!

I wish you and John all the happiness in the world!!

Sincerely, Evangeline Williamson, Esq.

Natalie screamed and frantically ran toward her phone, dialing John’s cell phone number. It rang and rang and rang and rang…she threw the handset down and screamed, “NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, OH GOD, NOOOOO!”

At the same time, a lavender envelope with black lettering was delivered to the office of one John McBain, the new chief of Llanview PD.  He was on his cell phone with his Mom as she chatted on and on about how the wedding would be the talk of the town and she was glad that he made the decision to marry Natalie.

“Hey, Chief,”

John looked up at the young rookie who barged through his opened office door and held up a finger, halting him. The young rookie dropped the envelope on his desk and walked out.

Still listening to his mother drone on and on about the wedding, he picked up the envelope, held it to his nose, and took a deep breath. It was her scent, Flowers in Springtime and her favorite color was lavender. “OH MY GOD!” He dropped the cell phone and hastily tore open the envelope.  He pulled out a white card that simply read,

When I opened my eyes,

 my first thought was…

I should have called in that day.

Evangeline 

John screamed.  Officers came running to the doorway to witness their silent, brooding police chief come undone. He sat in this chair with tears rolling down his face screaming the name everyone thought he would never utter again.

 “EVANGELINE!”