Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


So she was back to where it all started. Certainly things had changed drastically in her life one of which was lying in her arms sleeping… her little chest rising and falling. It had been a year since she had retreated to Atlanta not wanting to face the daunting task of having to deal with two men that were now key players in her daughter’s life. For a moment her mind drifted back to that one night filled with both passion and regret forever changing the term ‘friendship’ between her and Todd but the deed was already finished wasn’t it? There was no going back and changing what had happened. Did she really want it to change if…Evangeline sighed gently stroking the back of her daughter’s head wondering if she was having dreams about little angels and beautiful gardens while her mother was living a nightmare which she help to create – she didn’t know who the father of her little bundle of joy was.

 

While settling down in Atlanta mulling over her future plans she started to experience the nausea and dizziness but the vomiting was excluded. It really surprised her when a routine trip to the doctor revealed that she was four weeks pregnant. She finally had to confess to her sister Layla and mother Lisa about the private details of her now debunked love life.  Advice – keep the pregnancy under wraps for the time being. The advice seemed logical…not having to deal with Todd and Cris at each other’s throats, Blair… but still lying in that delivery room with Lisa at her side, Layla capturing the special moments and Uncle Clay waiting with bated breath outside she felt so alone. Two months along that decision to preclude the supposed father seemed very unfair. Three months and the decision had been made.

 

“Mom I’ve decided to move back to Llanview,” Evangeline said quietly. It wouldn’t be easy her mother had already developed a close attachment.

 

“Cookie, are you really sure about this decision.”

 

“Giving the circumstances yes. How would I feel if there was a child of mine out there that I didn’t know anything about?”

 

“I would be happy if the fathers involved weren’t an abusive ex-boyfriend and a rapist. I am truly disappointed by your reckless behavior Evangeline. Thank God you didn’t contract a sexually transmitted disease. Now you are allowing my granddaughter to go back into a hot mess!”

 

“Ok Mom! Fine! It’s my fault. I should have been more careful and yes I thank God everyday that I am a healthy individual but my daughter deserves to know who her father is. In my heart I know that neither of them would mistreat their own child. Mom I want to do what’s right for her with or without your support,” Evangeline said clasping her hands.

 

Lisa took a deep breath before responding, “Cookie I may not approve of all your decisions but you are your own woman and I raised you as such. I’m going to miss my grandbaby. She is a constant joy to my life but like you said…you have to do what’s best for her. Remember I will always be here whenever you need me.”

 

“Thanks mom. I promise I’ll come visit once this situation is settled.” The conversation ended with a warm hug.

 

A tearful goodbye mixed with promises of keeping in contact Evangeline packed her daughter and belongings for the trip back to Llanview. Amazingly she had been able to secure a two bedroom apartment within her old building. The rest of her furnishings were retrieved from storage and with a little help from Layla she was well on her way. Antonio was generous enough to offer a hand in setting up the nursery.

 

 

Early evening…

 

“Antonio, thank you very much. I think she is enjoying her new crib – sleeping like an angel.”

 

“De nada…”

 

“He can be very handy when he needs to be,” Layla smiled.

 

“I’ll accept that as a compliment,” Antonio said pulling her into a small kiss. “Evangeline you can call on me anytime but I am trying to understand why I have to keep your arrival in town such a big secret.”

 

“Antonio, would you quit worrying. In time all will be revealed,” Layla said shooting Evangeline a quick glance who looked away.

 

“Baby, Cris would be so surprised with her and the ba…”

 

“Haven’t you noticed that Evangeline and Christian are over and done with?”

 

“But…”

 

“I think it’s time for you to go. Evangeline looks pretty tired. Company is the last thing on her mind.”

 

“Ok…ok…I know where I’m not wanted. You’ll drop by later at Capricorn… right?” Antonio asked pulling her closer.

 

“Of course as soon as I am finished with Evangeline I’ll come by and help you set up the bar before the crowd comes rushing in. I’ve got to take care of my baby,” she said wrapping her arms around his neck. It still surprised Evangeline that the two had gotten involved. Both were so caught up in deep love affairs but what did she know.

 

“Evangeline like I said before it’s great having you back in Llanview. See you and the cute bambina later,” Antonio said giving Layla a kiss before he left.

 

***********

 

“Layla and Antonio – it looks promising.”

 

“I figure you are a bit skeptical but a lot can happen in a year.”

 

“You’re telling me,” Evangeline cracked a forced smile, “Layla, I really need your help with something but if you can’t do it then you can’t,” she said in an anxious voice.

 

“Just ask Vange. I might just grant your request.”

 

“I was wondering…” Evangeline bit down on her bottom lip. “It’s very hard for me to speak with Todd and Christian about this situation…damn!”

 

“Evangeline I’ll take care of it. Little sisters are good for something other than driving their big sisters crazy.”

 

“Your big sister didn’t give you a very good example of handling life and the curve balls it throws once in a while.”

 

“Finally she admits that she is not perfect!” They both laughed. “I love you very much big sis and wouldn’t trade you in.”

 

“Not even for a black convertible.”

 

“Does that include chromed, tricked out rims? I’ve always wanted those as a present from my rich boyfriend. ” Another laugh before they hugged each other.

  

 

The next day…

  

Evangeline anxiously waited praying to God that Todd and Christian would show up at different intervals. Her prayers were answered.

 

Christian was the first to knock at her door. The look on his face told the whole story. He gazed around the room then looked at her and the baby extending his arms. She granted his request and he held her for a few moments before giving her back to Evangeline turning around and quickly exiting the apartment without uttering a single sentence. She hadn’t expected that reaction. Todd on the other hand would be another story but yet he still hadn’t made his grand appearance. He’s probably brooding she thought as she laid the baby in the bassinette proceeding to finish her unpacking.

 

Evening was fast approaching and in the midst of fixing a bottle her cell phone rang – it was Layla.

 

“How has your day been so far?”

 

“Emotionally quiet except for you know who screaming for her timely meal. Mom called a little while ago – just checking in. Excuse me for a minute while I attempt this balancing act.” …phone between her ear and shoulder, baby in one arm and bottle in the next. “I think I’ve got it now,” she smiled.

 

“Evangeline that’s odd I thought…”

 

“You thought that I would be frazzled from screaming confrontations with the both of them. Christian did make an appearance. He held the baby for a moment and then left. He didn’t say anything.”

 

“Wow…I see. Antonio has been looking for him everywhere.”

 

“Speaking about Antonio he is going to be pretty upset once he finds out. When I really think about it Layla I’m sorry I got you involved in this mess.”

 

“Evangeline don’t fret about it. I can deal with Antonio. How did Todd handle the news?”

 

“I haven’t seen him as yet. He is probably trying to calm down before we face off. I did a terrible thing Layla and I am not expecting anyone to roll out the welcome wagon. Llanview residents will be very surprised that I have a baby with two potential fathers and the gossip will begin. I have to face the consequences for my actions.”

 

“Damn all of them! You did what you felt was right at the time. There is no use in beating yourself up about it.”

 

“What would you have done in my situation?”

 

“I honestly don’t know Vange. I hope I never have to face something like that.” Layla seem to ponder for a moment. “I could come over and keep you company if you like?”

 

“That’s alright Layla. You have already been a great support to me and the baby and I am very grateful.” Suddenly Evangeline heard a rapping at her door making her heart skip a beat. ”Layla thanks for the call but I have to go. Someone’s at the door.”

 

“I’ll pray for you.”

   “Who is it?” 

“Do you have to ask…” – came a solemn voice.

 

She opened the door. Todd Manning stood before her dressed in a light blue shirt, dark slacks matching his current mood; hair slightly tousled looking as handsome as he ever was. Although his face looked a bit tired there was sadness behind those striking blue eyes.

 

“Todd…”

 

“Evangeline…”

                        

He stepped through the apartment door walking into a place still in the process of becoming occupied once again. Chair, sofa, bassinette preoccupying the living room; an abstract art piece in the center of the bare walls; standing crystal vase filled with fresh flowers and boxes scattered here and there.

 

“Moving back for good this time?”

 

“I still have friends, my sister and a job waiting for my return. Of course my daughter’s father does live here.”

 

“Of course…may I…” Evangeline placed her in his arms. The baby stirred as he sat on her sofa continuing the feeding. She regarded his behavior so far as strange but knowing what he had been through during the last couple of months it was understandable nonetheless.

 

“She is very beautiful like…I could have searched for you if I really wanted to.” She knew that all too well – he didn’t. “But you made it perfectly clear how you felt about us being together in that way. Then there were other complications like my ex-wife Blair.” She also knew about the breakup. “…and finding out the location of my son…” Todd trailed off. “I guess you know that he…he…he died.” The bottle loosened from her lips. She was sleeping peacefully once again mouth moving as if it were still there. He calmly brought her head to his shoulder patting her back lightly listening for her burp. It looked very natural.

 

Although her body wanted to comfort him Evangeline stood stoically at the side of the door where she had remained after he entered the apartment. Hearing about his baby’s death had factored heavily in her decision to come back to Llanview. She still hated to see him in pain – always wanting to be there for him even if she physically wasn’t able to.

 

“Yes I knew. Layla told me about it,” Evangeline said hoarsely.

 

“It has been hard having to deal with not being able to hold him or tell him how much I cared and loved him. What am I talking about – I never really knew him.” It looked as though he was threatening to return to that dark place again but he gazed lovingly at the little one cradled in his arms – soft curly black hair with brown highlights, skin like smooth honey. He smiled saying, “She still hasn’t shown me her eyes. I guess at this age sleep is a preference.”

 

“Her eyes are light brown,” Evangeline interjected. “Todd you do understand that she could be Christian’s daughter.”


“I don’t care about any test. In my heart she is already my daughter.” This was the hot mess her mother warned her about. She let out a little burp. Todd carried her to the bassinette gently kissing her on the forehead caressing the side of her face. He was completely in love and smiled at thought of always being a constant presence in her life.    

 

“If you had only let me be there for you during your pregnancy things would have been different between us,” Todd said as he straightened up and turned to face Evangeline.

 

“Things would have been different with Blair and the stress that always comes along with your life.” They spoke with restraint not wanting to wake the baby. Todd took in a deep breath. “She is my first child and there was no way in this world that I would lose her due to any stressful situations going on around me.”

 

“I guess you are saying that it would have been better if the ‘caveman’ was the outright father.”

 

“Correct.”

 

Evangeline didn’t mean it but the word came out coldly hitting the mark. It was time for him to leave. Staying would mean getting into a heated argument. She turned away as he approached the door.

 

With his right hand already on the door knob he stood behind her breath caressing the nape of her neck.

 

“Funny I didn’t hear you mention her name.”

 

“Her name is Tangie Alexis Williamson,” Evangeline responded dryly. Christian would definitely throw a fit once he found out but for right now his reaction was neither here nor there.

 

Todd uttered a small laugh shaking his head, “I am more hurt than mad at you. Whether you like it or not there is still a strong connection between the two of us which we can never deny. After all why would you name her Tangie which anyone could guess is a combination of both our names...”

“Todd I…” Evangeline said turning around stumbling into a soft kiss. It lasted but a few seconds before he let go silently closing the door behind him as he left.

 

Evangeline stood frozen forgetting all about her pangs of hunger. Finally she let out a breath. She didn’t realize that she had been holding it in for so long.  Soon she realized that the buried emotions were starting to resurface but hoped that this time around it wouldn’t end like it did before.

 

Eventually all of them would meet again together this time. Tomorrow was the scheduled appointment of the DNA test.






Chapter End Notes:

Ok guys just tell me what you think about the first chapter...