Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Still lingering around the timeline for episode 2.11 - not sure how much the final two episodes of the season will influence the next few chapters. Some events and revelations have been pulled to get us closer to the end game...other than that...I apologize for the update delay...enjoy it darlings




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Dubious Intent

 

 

"I swear if you try to shake me again, I will shoot you square in the eyes and then tell Art you tried to pull your weapon on me."

 

Raylan shrugged at Tim's zealous warning and slipped back into the passenger's seat of the Denali. His fellow marshal had caught up with him outside of Mags' store in enough time to prevent the commencement of the third World War. Doyle Bennett had been itching for a fight that afternoon, but one glance at the former ranger still suffering the after effects of PTSD, had caused the Harlan sheriff to reconsider. Deputy Gutterson was good in a fight and more and more Raylan was beginning to understand what had drawn Rachel to the man.

 

The lady marshal never discussed the Brooks' family life in great detail. Glossed over generalities were all she provided unless otherwise required. He hadn't known about her sister's untimely death until the employee bonding session over an open whiskey bottle in Art's office. She had shared small facets of her childhood with him; her first pet's name, her favorite game, and the dreams she once held for her future. The pain, she always blocked him off from that and Tim wasn't much different.

 

There were no discussions from the veteran about the Afghani children caught on the receiving end of one his bullets. Tim didn't open his family album and vomit all his dirty little secrets about the man he called dad; the same man that beat his ass from birth to eighteen. They all had their demons; Raylan knew that better than anyone.

 

His head rolled back and rested against the leather seat. He allowed his eyes to close and he pushed everything out of his mind.

 

Winona's erratic behavior...

 

Art's disapproving gaze...

 

Gary's guilt - ridden face...

 

The softness of Rachel's skin against his...

 

His phone buzzed snatching him from his newly achieved serenity. His thumb brushed across the screen just as Tim's cell mimicked his phone's earlier notification. A sinking feeling settled in the pit of his stomach as his colleague pulled the SUV into the median.

 

Raylan pushed his hat up, hesitating to share the negative thought plaguing his mind, "When's the last time you talked to Rachel?"

 

Tim's hand gripped the phone in its holster, his eyes were planted on the dashboard, "I didn't...I left her a message while you were in the shower." He took a deep breath, "Winona?"

 

"Same here...message while I was in the shower?"

 

Pushing aside the fear, the men checked their screens to find duplicate texts displaying an address they recognized as the County Hospital. They were barely to the edge of Harlan and a little over an hour away.

 

Raylan adjusted his hat, "This pissing contest with Mags and her baby boys will have to wait until tomorrow."

 

He flipped the switch lighting up the windows with flashing lights as Tim's foot assaulted the gas pedal.

 

"We should have camped out in front of the house last night."

 

Tim echoed exactly what Raylan had been thinking.

 

It was the last phrase spoken for the remainder of the ride.

 

Raylan thought about the women in his life. Winona and her impulsive, poorly thought out plans and Rachel armed with strategy and five stage plans. He loved them both -differently. He feared a part of him would always be vulnerable to his ex - wife. She knew him, the boy he was before he became a man; the kid that only cared about a bat and a random beer. Shit, he'd loved the hell out of that knocked kneed girl the first time she smiled in his direction. That's why her betrayal with another man had torn him apart. His feelings coupled with their history pulled him from Ava's bed and back into her arms.

 

Winona's juju faltered when it came to Rachel, his mind never left the brown - eyed girl with chubby cheeks. Deputy Brooks was a ball buster who with one word could wrap any cowboy especially Raylan around her pinky finger.

 

"Shit."

 

He muttered, rubbing day old stubble, and forcing past images out of his head. He didn't want to think about another man's woman. He didn't want to consider the possibility that she was hurt or even worse...

 

He focused on the marshal he knew her to be; the rule follower. In the line of duty she remained cool and controlled. He had seen evidence of that when he worked with her to bring down her fugitive brother - in - law weeks before. The shot that hit the man had been the first time Rachel aimed her gun intending to cause bodily harm. She had fired off warnings to gain a suspect's attention but she had never crossed the bridge that made her equal to Raylan and his justified discharges.

 

His heart sunk a little lower when the reached the law enforcement reserved parking area by the ER entrance.

 

Winona was pacing outside on the sidewalk when they arrived; her face pale and her eyes bloodshot. Raylan jumped from the vehicle before the brakes were enabled and the gears shifted to park. He prayed that Gary was inside in a bed and Rachel was somewhere gathering eye witness accounts. He knew that was wishful thinking. He stumbled up the walkway, catching his ex as she fell into his arms muttering about shots, blood, and thoughts about dying.

 

Tim didn't move an inch from the driver's seat. The engine remained idle as the man sat frozen, his expression blank, and his hands gripping the steering wheel.

 

Art's frame loomed in the doorway like the grim reaper.

 

"Boys it's about Rachel."

 

Raylan held on to his ex - wife as she cried, listening half heartedly to his superior's words. Someone had attacked in the middle night, catching the deputy on duty in the shoulder.

 

Rachel was okay.

 

He continued to listen, picking out the word superficial from the excessive information his superior offered.

 

When the debriefing ended he pushed Winona towards a startled Tim, "Stay here, I've got some business to take care of."

 

He took two steps only to be rendered useless by the weakened voice that drifted over his shoulder, "Raylan Givens, I'm fine; no one needs to die today."