Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This story is based on the movie "The Best Man", but will stray from the original in certain areas.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 1

Kanji Mitchell couldn’t believe it. As his hand went into his mailbox to retrieve his mail that day, he was looking for the usual mail items…bills, circulars with coupons, credit card offers. But when his eyes happened upon the thick, cream colored envelope with his name in black calligraphy, he just stared at it. He fingered it and flipped it over, just to make sure he wasn’t seeing things. When he want back into his house, he tossed all the other mail to the side and proceeded to open the envelope. His fingers carefully peeled the envelope open, then removed what he was looking for from the second envelope. Yeah…it was really what he thought it was…a wedding invitation.

As he read over the invitation for the fifth time, he stared at it in his hand and still couldn’t believe it. He had just talked to Michael or Mike last week and he knew he popped the question, but Kanji didn’t think he was serious about doing it in two months. Michael couldn’t be serious.

But he had the proof in his hand. Michael was dead serious. He was going to marry his beautiful, long time girlfriend, Adrianna Morales. Kanji looked at the invite once more, then he thought…well, it was about time. Michael had been with Adrianna since the guys’ junior year in college when Adrianna and the rest of the girls were sophomores. They’d been together for six years. Hell, they were damn near common law…might as well make if official, Kanji thought.

Kanji heard his phone ringing. He ran his hand through his medium length black hair and looked down at his cell phone and saw Gavin Perkin’s number appear. He answered hurriedly, placing the phone against his ear. He had been waiting for this call for two weeks. It was one of the most important calls he would ever receive.

“Hey, Gav, what’s up?” Kanji asked.

“Nothing much,” Gavin said as Kanji sighed loudly.

“So…what’s the word, dickhead? Am I getting published or what?” Kanji asked impatiently.

“Or what? I’m kidding, man. Yeah, we’re definitely going to publish it. Dude, this book is great! It had me laughing and thinking and all emotional and shit. It really made me think about when we were in college, trying to figure out who we were and tearing shit up in the process. You wrote one hell of a novel,” Gavin stated as Kanji smiled.

“Thanks, man. So, how long until I get my first copy?” Kanji asked.

“About three months. We’re rushing this puppy. Everybody loved it and Mason’s pops owning the publishing company doesn’t hurt either,” Gavin stated regarding Mason Drayton, heir to Drayton Publishing…and didn’t want it.

“Speaking of Pimpin’, have you talked to him lately?” Kanji asked referring to Mason.

“Yeah and by the way…he’s got your manuscript,” Gavin said.

“Oh man, come on! How did he get his hands on it? Gav…you’re supposed to be my dog! How could you let Mase get my words, man! You know I’m sensitive about my shit,” Kanji stated.

“There were two copies, and he came walking through with one of his hot ass girls on his arm who was barely dressed and I got weak. I couldn’t help it. The tits and ass on that girl distracted me and he grabbed it,” Gavin said.

Kanji laughed. “I’m sure your wifey wouldn’t like to know that you’re looking at other women.”

“Hey…my wife is a realist. She knows that I’m gonna look. As long as I don’t touch, we’re all good. And besides, I’m married…not dead. I couldn’t help but look. Hell, if my wife would have been here, she would have looked, too. The girl had on one of those half tank tops that was so tight that I didn’t think she could breathe and a skirt so short, you could see her ass. So, that’s how he got it,” Gavin said as Kanji smiled.

“That’s all it takes, huh? Some half exposed, random chic and he gets my manuscript? Don’t you guys have better security measures than that?” Kanji asked.

Gavin laughed. “Yes, we do, but dude…it’s not like it’s a book that’s going to leak out some big shit, like Heidi Fleiss complete list of clients or something. I mean it’s a good book, Mitch, but it’s not that heavy. Besides, I didn’t see the harm in letting him take it. He is our boy. You can trust him,” Gavin said, calling Kanji by the nickname the guys gave him.

Kanji sighed, knowing that was true. “Yeah, he is and I can, it’s just…hell, don’t worry about it.”

“If you say so. What you need to be doing is smiling your ass off. You’re a published author, man! You’re about to become a best selling author! We need to go out and celebrate…maybe this weekend?” Gavin asked.

“Yeah, that’s cool,” Kanji stated.

“So…did you get an invitation? What am I saying, of course you did. Do you think it’s for real? Is he really going to marry Adrianna?” Gavin asked.

“Well, you married Taryn and you two had drama…hell, you guys even broke up!” Kanji exclaimed.

“Yeah, but that’s different. I always knew that I would end up marrying Taryn. We’re soulmates. We needed to be apart for that year. It had to happen…and I’m glad it did. It made me realize that Taryn is the one for me and when we got back together, it was better than ever. Besides, Michael never brought up marriage with Adrianna until what…two years ago?” Gavin replied.

“He’s growing up, Gav. He does love her, man,” Kanji said.

“Yeah,” Gavin stated.

“They’re perfect for one another, so maybe he finally knows what he wants. I mean, when I saw you guys last month, he had been talking about it and everything, but I didn’t think he was really serious, but he is so, I’m happy for him,” Kanji stated.

“Yeah, me too. Did you see him last night against the Jazz? He was on fire,” Gavin stated about Michael Chambers, #11 Power Forward for the New Jersey Nets.

“Yeah, he was in his zone. Couldn’t stop cheesing about the 10 assists and 20 points he got,” Kanji stated as his phone beeped. He slowly smiled at the name that appeared. It was her…and he definitely had to talk to her.

“Look, Gav, I have to call you back…it’s London,” Kanji stated as he heard his friend laugh.

“I feel you. When are you two gonna….,” Gavin began but Kanji stopped him.

“Don’t start. We’re just friends. Call me about this weekend,” Kanji said dismissing Gavin.

“Yeah, because we both know you can’t leave her waiting. Say hi to L for me. Later,” Gavin replied as Kanji clicked over and smiled. “Hey pretty lady. Gavin said hey,” he replied.

“Okay. Tell him hello when you speak to him again,” London Carter stated.

“I will. How are you today?” Kanji asked with a grin.

“I’m good, but I’d be a lot better if you told me that you were being published,” London stated, furiously typing.

“I’m being published…they’re rushing it so it’ll be done in about three months or so,” Kanji stated excitedly.

“Congratulations, babe! I’m so proud of you. Now, I know I’m getting the first copy, right?” London asked.

“Of course,” Kanji said.

“Autographed, with a long spiel about how I was the inspiration or some shit like that,” London replied as Kanji chuckled.

“Maybe…if you’re lucky,” Kanji said.

“Damn, Mitchie, you’ve got the big head already. Can’t you wait until you actually hold the book in your hand to start acting all uppity?” London asked as he laughed, loving the way his nickname came out of her mouth. It was weird. The guys called him Mitch and the girls called him Mitchie. Go figure, but he thought it was cool.

“Nope. I figured I better get a head start. You’d better start being more nice to me, London…I’m about to be famous, after all,” Kanji said with a grin.

“I’ll treat you the way I’ve always treated you…besides, you like that,” London asked. She worked as a contributing writer at the Times and she freelanced for several magazines, just like Kanji.

Kanji laughed. “Yep…and I don’t want you to ever stop.”

“I won’t,” London said smiling into the phone as a comfortable silence came. Then, London began to speak again.

“So I guess Nicole is over the moon for you right?” London asked. Nicole was Kanji’s girlfriend and London and Nicole couldn’t stand each other.

“Me and Nic are going through some stuff right now…I don’t think it’s going to work out,” Kanji replied as London smiled.

“That’s the best news I’ve heard all day,” London stated.

“L…don’t start,” Kanji began.

“I won’t. I’m just happy to see that you’re realizing what I’ve been saying from the moment you met her 7 months ago…she’s not good enough for you and that’s all I’m going to say,” London stated as she took a breath and looked back at her computer screen.

“So, did you get anything special in your mailbox today?” Kanji asked.

“I got a free sample of Lubriderm. Man, do I love that stuff,” London said grinning as she typed.

“You know what I’m talking about, London,” Kanji said.

“Mitchie, you know I got that invite. I just didn’t expect for the ball to began rolling so soon,” London stated.

“Sweetie…they’ve been together six years. Not so soon? Don’t you mean not soon enough? ” Kanji asked as he plopped down on his couch.

“Whatever. It’s just that when she met us a few weeks ago and showed us that rock, we were speechless, but we didn’t expect Michael to want to tie the knot so soon. Between you and me, I didn’t think that Michael would be serious…you know how he is,” London replied.

“Yeah…I know. So, we’ve got what, two months of wedding crap to look forward to? Are you excited?”

“Hell no I’m not excited! I have too much going on. But, I’m happy for Adrianna and I’ll be there, helping her every step of the way. Besides, she deserves to be happy,” London stated.

“Yeah, she does. She’s a sweetie pie…always has been. But, I don’t know…do you think he’s ready?” Kanji asked.

“He should be…but Michael’s something else. Besides, he’s had long enough to be ready, don’t you think?” London asked.

“Yeah,” Kanji replied.

“And because he’s my boy, I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt because when it all boils down to it, he really loves her and she loves him. I don’t think he would have gone through all the trouble if he wasn’t sure, Kan,” she replied, calling him by the nickname that she gave him. London had always been sort of an enigma to him…she was also the only woman that really got him…the only one that he ever really loved. But he didn’t have time to analyze or think about any of that right now. He had things to do regarding his book and this wedding stuff, so he just pushed it out of his mind.

“You’re right. Hey…do you want to come out and help us celebrate this weekend?” Kanji asked.

“Let me check my schedule and I’ll get back with you. I got a few deadlines to hit, but it shouldn’t be a problem. Hey, Mitchie, I gotta get this to print, so I’ll call you later,” London said.

“Alright,” Kanji stated.

“Oh and Kanji…I knew you could do it. I can’t wait to read it and congratulations again,” London said.

He knew she was waiting to hear him say goodbye, so he said, “Thanks again, London…have a good day, baby. Talk to you later,” he whispered.

London smiled. “Okay. Have a good one, Mr. Published Author. Mmmwaw. Bye,” she said and hung up the phone.

Kanji slipped both hands to the back of his head and smiled as London’s beautiful, brown eyes appeared to him, then her face. The wet dreams he had about that woman were ridiculous, he thought. He never dreamed about other women…just her. He knew it meant something, but he couldn’t think about it right now. He had errands to run and articles to e-mail.

‘I’m going to be published,” Kanji thought to himself with a smile as he began to get excited about the new career turn in his life.

*****************************************************

London worked quickly for the next hour, got her article to print and smiled to herself about Kanji’s first novel being published. He was such a good guy and he deserved to be getting this chance to get his work out to the world. Kanji was such a talented writer. He was the type of writer that made the reader fall in love with the words that he put on the page and fall right into the little world that he created. She knew the book was going to be good, she thought as she smiled at her gorgeous Japanese/Chinese American friend’s success. London’s cell rang and she smiled at the name. It was her best girl Keira, the diva. Keira was an interior decorator and truly something else.

“Hey girl, what’s up? You want to have lunch with me and Taryn?” Keira asked.

“Yeah, but it’s going to have to be at 1pm…I have some things to finish,” London stated.

“Oh, that’s cool because I have an appointment at 3pm. So, what’s up? I guess you got your invitation,” Keira stated as she concentrated on the poster sketch of the Loren's family room, one of her new clients. She meticulously placed colorful pieces of material next to each item of furniture that was drawn, writing notes right next to the swatches.

“Yeah, I did. I’m happy for Anna,” London said, referring to Adrianna’s nickname.

“I am too, but it’s about damn time! I just hope she doesn’t sign a pre-nup. That bastard’s worth 40 mil. She better not sign shit,” Keira replied as London laughed.

“No, rest assured that Taryn has already schooled her. She ain’t signing a thing,” London stated. Taryn Lopez-Perkins was their other best friend and a great attorney. She also was married to their other cute friend, Gavin Perkins, who was an assistant editor at Drayton’s Publishing. They had been married for two years and were so in love. London thought about those two and Kanji’s smiling face flashed before her eyes. She smiled, then just shook off the thought.

“Besides, I don’t think he’d try and make her sign one anyway. Oh…guess what?” London asked.

Keira narrowed her eyes at the navy blue microsuede swatch and the olive green and chose the olive green, and cut it smaller to fit on her sketch. “What?”

“Kanji’s being published!” London said excitedly.

Keira smiled as she took the olive green swatch and placed it on her sketch next to a chair. “Oh, that’s great! I’m so happy for my boy. I know you are…in fact, I’m sure you are.”

“Kee, don’t start,” London said.

Keira grinned. “Oh…but I will! I just don’t understand why two people so obviously crazy about each other just won’t get together.”

“Because…we’re friends. Friends Keira. That’s why,” London said.

“Uh huh. Whatever. You and Kanji need to stop playing around, man. I know you two would be a lot happier if you were together and that’s my two cents and I’m shutting up. So, you want to meet me at my office or yours?” Keira asked.

“I’ll meet you. And I assume since you asked me that you’re paying?” London asked with a grin.

“Yeah, L…I got it…cheap ass,” Keira replied.

“Hey, I’m not cheap…just frugal,” London said.

“Well, I’ll see you at 1…cheapo,” Keira said.

“Later, Kee,” London said and got off the phone with her friend. London looked at her computer screen and sighed. She never understood why she and Kanji just didn’t get together, but it didn’t happen. They were really close, but life got in the way…girlfriends, boyfriends, work, grad school…just things. But, the more London thought about it…maybe this was the time to talk, really talk to Kanji. He and Nicole were on the outs and she hadn’t had a boyfriend in almost a year…

It wouldn’t hurt. Not at all.