Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I wanted to thank everyone for their reviews. They are so amazing in helping me focus and motivate myself to move along. It took me a while to find where I wanted to go, but here's my latest installment. I hope you enjoy and thanks again!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Six hours passed without Em slowing down in the least. Even with Bas to boss around, there were rooms to ready, caterers to confirm, flower arrangements to design and a million other details to square away before Friday afternoon. It had been mission impossible, but with the guys’ help, Em was pretty sure that Catherine and James were in the dark about the party. Bas had sold his parents on a quiet weekend with the family. Considering the coordination it took to get the Beckenbach family into one location, Em wasn’t surprised they’d considered that a great anniversary gift. With Nick in Europe, Bas working 70 weeks as a corporate attorney, Deacon busy with his family and Casper in his junior year at college out of state the times where the entire family could get together were far and few between. If Emery was honest with herself it was why she was busting her butt to make everything great for the weekend.

With it just being her mom and her, there weren’t any big family events. She loved that it was just the two of them; her mama was one of her best friends. But there was a part of her that envied the more traditional Beckenbachs. They celebrated events as a family, they had Christmas card portraits every year, pictures from family vacations littered their homes and offices. Some people might have found it corny, but Em loved it and the family for including her.

As thoughts of the family danced around in her head, Em realized she hadn’t heard anything from the kitchen in a while. Bas was supposed to be wrapping Jordan almonds in tulle for the party favors. He hadn’t been thrilled to do the job, but had set up shop at the kitchen table to do so anyways. Checking her watch she realized how much time had gone by. Bas was either hard at work or had long become distracted. With her best guess going towards distraction, Em decided to go and check on him.

Abandoning the slide show she’d been working on, Em headed across the house to the kitchen.
Outside the daylight still illuminated the space surrounding the house. Green grass, lush trees and a blue sky combined to make a breathtaking view from the oversized windows that dominated the front of the house. With the picturesque views and isolation, the home was the perfect place to escape for a bit. Even in passing, the swing on the front porch called for Em to grab a book and come out and enjoy the sunshine. It was only the reminder of Bas and the list of things she needed to accomplish that kept her moving.

As she got closer, the smell of food overtook her. Her stomach rumbled in response, reminding her that it had been forever since she’d scarfed down a breakfast burrito. Just another time to be thankful that Bas seemed able to read her mind even when she had no idea what was on it.

Entering the kitchen, Em found her friend working at the stove, his back to her. As many times as Bas had made dinner for her over the years, it was still weird to her. Her friend was build more like a linebacker than any chef she knew. Six four, he towered over her and out-weighted her by at least a hundred pounds, but that was muscle. Because he had heart disease Bas was meticulous about his diet and exercise. Much as she might tease him about wanting to be Superman, Em had to admit that the dedication more than paid off. With his classic features, dark brown curls, bright gray-green eyes and that body, he turned just as many heads at 32 as he had when she’d met him in his mid-20s.

“You’re just in time for some dinner.” Em wanted to laugh. He couldn’t have heard her come in, yet he didn’t even have to turn around to know she was there. Bas tossed a grin over his shoulder at her in response. “Wash your hands and we’ll eat.”

Doing as she was told, Em went to the sink and turned on the water. Catching sight of her reflection in the kitchen window she briefly checked her features. Same skin the color of fudge brownies, large brown eyes, wide nose and full lips in a round face that she saw every morning in her mirror. Curls that Diana Ross could be envious of would have framed her face, but that morning she’d decided to pull them back with a fair amount of product and bobby pins. By some miracle none of the curls had fought their way free yet. Assured that she wasn’t a complete mess, she focused on her hands.

Once she finished drying her hands on a towel Bas present her with a glass of wine. Gratefully accepting the stemmed wineglass, she gave him quick smile. “I love you.”

Rolling his eyes, he returned to the stove. “I bet you say that to any man who gives you booze.”

Ignoring his wisecrack, she took a sip from the glass. The burst of flavor brought a grin to her face.  “I’m sorry, did you say something? My wine and I were trying to have a moment.”

“You know I could eat this by myself.”

“But you won’t.” Indulging in some more of her wine, Em moved to take a seat at the counter. She watched silently as Bas prepared two plates of pasta, green beans and mashed potatoes. Setting one down plate down in front of his friend, Bas took his own and sat down on the stool next to her. Em paused long enough to thank him before digging into the food. She couldn’t say for sure if it was her hunger, but the penne and sauce was amazing. Far better than the gummy mess she would have created if she’d tried to cook. Much as she liked food, and her hips could certainly attest to that, her cooking skills were lacking. A delicious home cooked meal was an unexpected plus of this extra time with her friend.

Bas waited until Em started to clear the kitchen before commenting, “So, you’ve kind of been off the grid these past couple of weeks.”

“What are you talking about? We’ve talked on the phone and texted about this party almost everyday.”

“Yeah, we talk about the party. I’m talking about life that doesn’t have to do with my parent’s anniversary party.”

Odd as she found it that he was asking something he probably could guess at, Em gave a nonchalant shrug. “You know me. I’m reading a new biography, working on my knitting and fending off the phone calls of my mother asking me when I’m going to get a real job, a man and some kids.” The two shared a smile over her mother’s harassment. “Other than a riveting dentist’s appointment earlier this week, nothing is going on.”

“Well I guess that’s good news.”

Pausing from loading the dishwasher, Emery turned her full attention to Bas. “What about you? I mean other than work and working out, what have you been up to?”

“Haven’t really had a chance to do anything but. We just settled this case I’ve been slaving over which was perfect timing because if I hadn’t this weekend would have been a working nightmare. But we finished early, so I have the entire weekend to enjoy.”

His friend’s face split into a smile. “Good. I want this weekend to be amazing. I’ve been looking forwards to this for months, you have no idea.”

Bas’s eyes darkened as his expression grew somber. “Really? I thought maybe with Nicky bringing-”

“Cady?” He nodded as she followed his train of thought. “It’s okay. I mean am I a bit weird about it? Yeah, but it is what it is. Nick has a girlfriend and she’s coming thousands of miles to meet his entire family. That’s the facts of the situation.”

As bright as her words were, neither was completely convinced. Bas being too much of a gentleman to press the matter gave a resolved sigh. “You know if it’s not okay or if it gets that way, you can come to me.”

Setting aside glass she’d been preparing to load into the dishwasher, Em moved to hug her friend instead. “I know that and thank you.”

As Bas held her, he mumbled a ‘you’re welcome’ and Em silently prayed that she wouldn’t have any need to take him up on his offer.