Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


As she lay in her bed that night, Em wondered just what she was missing. If there was one thing that Em didn’t need the night before a big party, it was insomnia. Unfortunately her mind wasn’t cooperating with that idea at all. The hike that afternoon had been one of those endorphin raising sessions that should have had her sleeping like a rock. Instead she’d been laying here sleepless thinking about dinner.

The meal  had been a group effort, all of them crowded in the kitchen working together as the radio blared. The mixture of wine and music had led to Nick, Cas and Deacon spinning she, Libby and Cady across the floor. Bas had wordlessly watched leaning against the fridge, his expression unreadable. When she’d tried to get him to join in, he’d given her the weirdest look before shaking his head no. Seconds later Deacon declared that the chicken was ready, signaling that it was time for the meal to start.

It wasn’t until they started to sit down that Em realized what might have her friend thrown. She watched as Bas’s reaction as his brother pulled out his wife’s chair for her across the table. The longing that their intimacy triggered was in his eyes. She saw it again when Nick did the same for Cady. Nick might not have realized it but he obviously wanted someone special in his life that he could do that for. She just had to think of the right woman and everything would fall into place.

So far no one had jumped out to her. Bas was so amazing in his own right that not just any woman would do for him. Her friend needed someone who wold get him. And not just the outside him, the senator’s son with a law degree who was going places in corporate law. He needed someone who would understand that family was super important to him and someone who thought it was cute that he would lose his glasses on top of his head all the time. Someone who would tease him when he was feeling down. There had to be someone she was missing that could do all of that for him.

After over an hour tossing in turning in her bed, she got out of the bed and fled to the study. Using the remote to fire up the fireplace, she curled up onto the soft leather with an afghan and watched the flames as her thoughts played out.

Tiffany Brittan. She was gorgeous, but as dumb as cardboard. Caroline Prentiss was a lawyer like Bas, but she had that weird nasally voice. Jules Reese? Gillian Tolliver? Marla Luis?

In her head Em scanned the list of guests that had RSVP-ed for any potentials she had missed, but found none. 50 women single and ready to mingle among the guests they were expecting and not one of them seemed to be suited for Bas. She’d been so positive that at least one or two prospects would emerge. Since that wasn’t the case, she was going to have to move on to plan B. Contingent on her figuring out just was plan B was exactly.

“What are you doing down here? Shouldn’t you be in bed?”

Em recognized the voice immediately but it took her eyes a moment to adjust in the dim light. Nick’s concerned features peered over the side of the couch at her. “Couldn’t sleep. Came down to watch the fire.”

“Something on your mind Emery?” He rounded the side of the couch and lowered his body at the opposing end of the sofa facing his friend. “I can be a decent listener when I need to be.”

Amusement kissed a gentle smile onto her lips. Shaking her head, she shifted to a comfortable sitting position. “It’s not anything important. I was just sitting here thinking about Bas.”

His blond eyebrows lifted in surprise. “You’re sitting here thinking about my brother?”

“I just was thinking of introducing him to a few girls tomorrow at the party. He can be so serious and focused on work. He needs to have a little fun, loosen up.”

“Okay.”

“The problem is not one woman coming is... well Bas.?” Nick’s face blanked of expression, which she took as him not understanding. “I mean none of them really seem his type. So then I’ve tried thinking what Bas goes for and I can’t really come up with a type. But you, you would know right? I mean you’re brothers, you’re best friends. Tell me.”

“What does Bas go for?” The question seemed to confuse him if he face was any indication.

“Yeah.”

“You can’t think of anyone you know who would be right for my brother?”

“Why did you say it like that?”

“Didn’t you ever wonder why nothing ever happened between us? Why we flirt, well I flirt, and yet I never asked you out or tried anything?” Nick saw that she was completely clueless as to what he was saying. “I love my brother. And I cut my heart out for him.”

Nick’s eyes locked onto hers and a conversation with not a single syllable passed between them. Tears filled her vision as soon as Em realized what he was saying to her. She could feel the blood draining from her face as her heart began to sink in her chest. Things started to click into place one by one. Sebastian’s moods, the weird waves of tension, “I... didn’t see...”

“I’m not telling you to make you feel bad. I’m telling you because you need to do something. If you want him, tell him. But if you don’t, well then you got to let him go. Maybe he’ll meet someone else like I did. Maybe he won’t. But he won’t do anything until you do.”

Her stomach clenched as her mind worked thru what he was saying to her. How often had she gone crying to Bas when the situation with Nick had left her heart bruised? Millions? And every time he’d felt the same about her? Em couldn’t imagine the pain he must have shouldered just to be a good friend to her, all the while waiting for her to see him. She’d been too self involved to see it, not even once. How could she have missed this? Why hadn’t he said anything to get rid of her, of the pain she had to inflict on him?

Nick must have seen the devastation on her face, but with he moved to comfort her Em jumped from the couch and out of his reach. Shaking her head, she rejected the sympathy. Running the back of her hand against her wet cheek, she paused and took a deep breath. “Could you just leave me alone?”

Nick frowned, but didn’t move.

“Please.”

He must have heard the desperation in her voice because this time he stood. Giving her one last long look, Nick walked out of the room, drawing the doors closed behind him. Alone again Em stumbled to the couch and dropped down onto the cushion just as sobs overtook her.