Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Again thank you thank you thank you for the comments. I appreciate you guys for reading what I write period, let alone giving me feedback. So the story goes on...




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Sunlight blazed in the front window of Sinclair’s Dress Shop warming the chairs that sat by the view of Main Street. People strolled by the shop in droves, taking advantage of the clear sky while they lasted. Inside the store women searched the racks of formal and cocktail dresses, their conversations filling the open space. The only person not shopping or chatting was Em as she sat in one of the chairs staring off into the distance.

Last night had been one of the worst nights she could recall. After Nick saying what he had to her, she couldn’t stop thinking about Bas. How could she have been so blind to how he was pining over her? The times she’d run to him to cry on his shoulder about Nick and how unfair it was that he didn’t see her made want to kick herself. In all sense of the word Bas had been a true friend and she’d been the most painful thing in his life for who knew how long.

It hadn’t taken her long to conclude that this couldn’t go on any longer. She’d made a decision amidst all of her tears, but it wasn’t one that she relished. Her instincts screamed that there were other options, but she’d stubbornly resolved that ending this was the only fair thing to do for Bas. Doubts and what ifs clouded her every thought, but this was what it was.

Having made her decision had been hard. Spending time with everyone knowing what she was going to do was excruciating. She’d uncharacteristically languished over showering and getting ready that morning just to put off joining the group as long as possible. She’d gotten lucky in that by the time she’d descended the staircase Deacon, Nick, Bas and Cas had dragged their father out for a round of golf. The shopping expedition they had planned for the morning was the only thing on their agenda until the party later. Just thinking about how the day was going to stretch out made her heart ache, but Em attempted to put on a sunny face.

Thank God for Cady. She’d turned out to be a sunshine tornado. It was as if she’d sensed the void of excitement coming from Em and doubled her own in order to supplement. She and Libby had commandeered this expedition to find dresses, leaving Em to sit with the stroller as Rosy napped.

“Emery?” Em turned as she realized her name was being called. Catherine Beckenbach stood in front of her radiant in an ivory gown even though her features reflected her concern for the younger woman. It took a moment for Em to process that her employer had asked what she thought of the dress. For the first time that morning, Em’s smile was a genuine one as she praised the choice. Satisfied, Catherine turned to the saleswoman waiting and let her know that she’d take it. As the associate began to babble on about accessories, Catherine and Libby followed behind her but Cady remained. Em noticed the other woman was holding a hanger with a look of apprehension. Recognizing that she wanted to say something, Em gave Cady an smile of encouragement.

“I saw this one and thought maybe you wanted to try it?” Cady lifted the hanger. A confection of chiffon, the dress was a bright emerald green. A consummate fan of the little black dress, Em would have never picked the dress for herself. Cady immediately picked up on her apprehension. “Trying it on won’t kill you. Just come on.”

Rather than arguing, Em stood and took the hanger from Cady as she told her that she’d stay with the baby. Once in the confines of a dressing room Em shed her khakis and t shirt and removed the dress from the hanger. It went on easily enough and for the first time in a while, Em didn’t have her usual struggle at her bust or hips when she pulled the garment over her head. She couldn’t reach the zipper, so she called out for Cady. A second later, the other woman’s feet appeared at the bottom of the stall’s door. Em turned and pulled the door open.

“Oh my God.”

“I need help zipping up.”

“Of course. Turn around.” Em did as ordered and settled her gaze on her reflection in the mirror. “Oh Em, you have to buy this dress.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really.”

“It’s too short.” The hem fluttered playfully inches above her knees.

“It’s sexy. I wish I was as va-va-voom as you are.” Em had to admit that the sweetheart neck of the dress accented the abundance of cleavage she usually cursed. And the color wasn’t the worst tone against her skin. As she turned, the material floated around her then settled. Even from the side and and back the dress did her figure justice. Em bit her bottom lip as she debated with herself. “No one who sees you in this dress will ever forget it.”

Em didn’t know why, but it was that statement that sold her on getting the dress. It was probably selfish but tonight the one thing she needed to be was unforgettable. “I guess I have something to wear tonight then.”

After they left the dress shop they returned to the house for lunch. Once the meal was done, Catherine took her granddaughter outside for some quality time. Left alone, Cady and Libby wrangled Em into spending time with them giving themselves manicures and flipping through magazines. The time with them gave Em a reprieve from her heavier thoughts. She found herself admitting that she knew what Nick saw in Cady. Besides being bubbly, she really seemed to have a sense of who she was and what she wanted. Em envied that about her. She knew given the time, Cady would probably become a close friend.

The guys came home around five, the noise of their arrival finding it’s way up the stairs even before any of them did. Em had thankfully retreated to her own room under the guise that she was going to start getting ready. They were supposed to arrive at the restaurant at seven sharp but with so many people to get ready, she had no doubt that they’d probably run late.

With all the planning she’d done, all the details she’d worked out, Em had to admit that she didn’t feel prepared at all for tonight to finally be here. Tonight Catherine and James would be surrounded by all the friends and family that loved them to celebrate their commitment to each other for the past thirty-five years. The excitement she’d felt earlier had been replaced by anxiousness. She’d managed to avoid Bas the entire day, but once she left her room, there would be no avoiding him. Of all of the people she would have  ever thought she’d be nervous about being near, Bas had never even crossed her mind as being on that list. Now he had her seriously considering faking sick in order to avoid making a complete fool of herself.

The only reason she didn’t do so was because she knew she owed it to the Beckenbachs to be there. They’d been so amazing allowing her to be a part of their family for the past few years, so it wasn’t too much to ask that she be there smiling and happy for this last party. Tonight would be about helping them celebrate this occasion and tomorrow... she’d tell them that she was resigning. Effective immediately.