Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Ignorance and Attitude

All eyes were on Val when she arrived at work. She noticed several small groups of people who had gathered and several had the newspaper. She could just imagine what they were saying.

"Congratulations, VaLysia!" Mr. Jenkins said smiling as he walked by her heading to his office.

"Thank you" she replied.

She walked into the mailroom to remove any mail that was in her box. She decided to ignore the stares she was receiving as she entered the mailroom.

Terry who worked in Customer Service was the only other person in the mailroom. Her burgundy highlights were pulled back in a ponytail. When it came to the angry black female, Terry was it. Mr. Jenkins was telling her to lighten up, she wondered if he had given the same talk to Terry even though she was only a Lead in Customer Service and not a Manager. She was always ready for a fight and Val knew one was coming. Terry gave Valysia a disapproving look and rolled her eyes.

"Do you have a problem" Val asked her never backing down from a challenge.

"You're no better than any of the rest of us because you got a rich white boy" she remarked popping her gum. "I always knew you were a sellout with your proper talking self."

"Oh really" Val replied getting her mail. "I have a right to chose who I want to be with just like anybody else."

"Well, that's true." Terry remarked nastily. "But money doesn't make up for satisfaction in the bedroom. White boys don't have the rhythm in their hips to know how to satisfy a real black woman in bed."

Val stared at her in disbelief.

"That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard" she replied.

"I know for a fact that most of them don't have what it takes in size and if they do, they don't know how to whip it on you like a brother does." Terry remarked. "Most likely you'll end up with a brother on the side after you marry him. Just wait and see."

"I don't think so" Val replied walking out of the mailroom. People could be so ignorant. She couldn't believe Terry had said that to her! She didn't know her like that! Did she think that because both of them were black women that she had the right to say such things to her? How ignorant!

She walked into her office and shut the door. She didn't want to have to do twenty questions with these people. The night with Matheson had been wonderful. She looked at the ring which looked even more gorgeous in the daylight. No rhythm indeed! Her man had plenty of rhythm and everything else it took to satisfy her. How could Terry come to such a conclusion just because he was white?

After they arrived at her apartment the night before, he had made love to her again, slowly and tenderly. Afterwards he had fallen into a deep sleep. She was glad because she was tired herself. Sleeping with him just felt right. It was as if they had always been together. She couldn't believe the things people would say out of their mouths.

When he woke up that morning, Matheson appeared more relaxed and content than she had ever seen him before and told him as much. He told her that it was because of her and she couldn't begin to express to him how much she loved him, how right it felt for them to be together. He had kissed her and she knew instantly that she wanted him again. He seemed to sense her need and was happy to oblige her. She couldn't remember ever being this happy.

There was a knock on the door and she looked up to see Mr. Jenkins walk in.

"Good morning, VaLysia" he said grinning. "I guess you know you're the talk of the office this morning."

"I can just imagine what they're saying" Val replied sipping a cup of coffee.

"Well the entire office is abuzz about your engagement." he said laughing pulling up a chair. "Personally, I'm happy for you. I could see a dramatic change in you over the last several months. Love does that to you, you know."

VaLysia laughed. "Is it that obvious?"

"It is to me." he said. "But get ready for the backlash. This white boy of yours comes from old money, a family that is well known in the community. You're going to be under the microscope for sure."

"Really Mr. Jenkins" Val replied "I don't expect to find new people lurking outside my door. We're just two regular people."

Mr. Jenkins shook his head. "Hannah's has been around a long time. The Hendricks' are well known for all of their community service. The old man, your boyfriend's grandfather was big on that. Have you met him?"

"No, not yet." Val replied.

"Well, he's something else!" Mr. Jenkins responded. "He must be ninety five years old. I heard that he still comes down to the original Hannah's every now and then. I'm surprised that your boyfriend hasn't introduced you two."

Val was surprised too, but didn't say anything.

"Well I'll let you get some work done" Mr. Jenkins said rising up.

Val watched him walk out of the door and then she thought about what he had said. Why hadn't Matheson mentioned his grandparents? She really didn't know any of his family outside of his mother and father. Maybe there just hadn't been time. After all, he worked a lot of hours and so did she. This engagement, even their time of courting had progressed rather quickly. Still, she would mention it to him.

She picked up the phone and called her grandmother.

Mavis was sounding especially chipper when she answered the phone.

"Hey Baby" she said.

"Hey, Grandma. I guess you saw the paper this morning" Val said leaning back in her chair.

"Sure did Baby" Mavis replied. Val could hear the laughter in her voice.

"I'm glad I called you last night, Grandma" she said. "I guess it's official"

"Oh yeah, it's official alright" Mavis replied. "I got a call from Emily this morning. She's tickled pink herself."

"What about Matheson's other family members? I haven't met them yet. What about his grandfather?" Val replied sounding worried.

"Oh you mean Mr. William"
Mavis asked. "He and Ms. Jessica live in Florida now. They come up on occasion."

Well that answered the question as to why Matheson hadn't introduced her to them. Val felt a bit of relief.

"Do you think they'll be upset" Val asked.

"Yeah, I think they will to a certain degree" Mavis admitted. "But times are changing. Now his father was a nice man. He was a good church going man. He was a hard worker too. Mr. Gregory wasn't his only child...I think he had a set of twins, a boy and girl. I can't remember their names. They are way older than Gregory. "

She laughed in the phone. "I think Mr. Gregory was a change of life baby. His sister and brother are like fifteen years older than him."

"Really?" Val said surprised.

"Yeah. When I first met Mr Gregory when Ms. Emily fell in love with him, those two were already grown and married I think."

Val digested this bit of information. Not only did Matheson have his grandparents, he had an uncle and aunt too!

"Don't worry about it none, Baby"
Mavis cooed sweetly. "It is what it is. They'll just have to accept it."

"How come they aren't involved with the business?" Val asked.

"Who says they're not involved. Of course they're involved." Mavis replied. "They didn't want hands on like Matheson and Mr. Gregory, but they work behind the scenes I think. Matheson can tell you about it. Ask him."

"I'm sure Matheson will tell me about his family now that we're engaged" Val replied trying to sound more confident than she felt at the moment.

She hung up the phone wondering what else about Matheson he failed to tell her about himself and his family.

                                        ((***))

Matheson walked into the bakery that morning feeling better than he had in a long time. He quickly walked in the back and checked supplies. Gary was already there.

"Did you sleep here last night?" Matheson said laughing.

"Not exactly" Gary said grinning. "I did see your smiling face on the front of the paper this morning. Congratulations, man."

"Thanks" Matheson replied grinning.

Gary had worked for the store for over five years. He was young and started straight out of high school. Matheson had encouraged him to take some classes at the community college and Gary had done so and graduated the prior year. He was a hard worker and Matheson felt that he deserved to be the Assistant Manager.

"I'm going to be going on a short vacation soon" Matheson said. "I've talked to my father and he's agreed. I'm offering you the position as Assistant Store Manager if you want it."

Gary looked surprised. "Really? Of course I want it! Who wouldn't? It's more pay, right?'"

"A lot more pay." Matheson assured him.

"Well that's great!" Gary replied.

It wasn't long before the bakery was full of people. Matheson couldn't remember it being this busy in quite a while. He noticed the curious stares and the whispers but he ignored them. No one approached him and he decided that he wasn't going to volunteer any information. A few did say 'congratulations' but that was all.

A little after one he looked up to see Callie Harris walk into the bakery. He wondered what she wanted. He was going to be as polite as possible, but he knew that he was playing with fire when it came to Callie.

"Hi Callie" he said more cheerfully than he felt.

"Matheson" she said coolly. "Can I talk to you?"

Matheson looked around. There was no line and Gary seemed to have things under control. "Sure" he said wiping the flour from his hands. He led her back to his office. He didn't want her on the floor if things got out of hand.

"What's up?" he asked ushering her to a nearby chair as he shut the door.

"You tell me." she spat. "What's with you and this black chick? You couldn't have been seeing her that long and now you want to marry her?"

"Callie, I asked her to marry me because I love her. I want to marry her." Matheson replied patiently. "I don't understand why you're upset. You and I have never been anything but friends."

"I've always loved you Matheson." she said with tears in her eyes. "We belong together. Our families would be a nice fit. You and I have so much in common. We've known each other forever. It was meant to be."

Matheson shook his head. "Callie, you and I have been friends and that's all. I've never seen you that way. I look to you as a sister. I don't see you as anything else."

Callie jumped up and pressed her body against his and began caressing him through his pants. "I don't want to be just a friend Matheson. I'm a woman. I can make you happy. I know I can. I can do whatever she does to get you off. I mean, I know she's experienced and all, but so am I. I'm a fast learner. You know you're taking chances sleeping with her. I mean those people are the cause of all the aids going around."

Matheson pushed her away. "Callie, please. I'm sorry. I need you to understand that I like you, I really do, but as a friend. That's all."

"Are you going to tell me or not?" Callie snapped.

"Tell you what?"

"Tell me what she does that she was able to wiggle a proposal out of you. I certainly hope you're using condoms!"

Matheson laughed. "Callie, I've already told you that I'm in love with her. It has nothing to do with sexual techniques. Just accept what I'm telling you and we can still be friends. Otherwise I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

She stared at him a moment.

"You're serious?"

"Yes, Callie" he replied sincerely.

He watched as her shoulders slumped and he suddenly felt sorry for her. He knew that her parents had programmed in her head that the two of them belonged together. Nothing could be further from the truth. He had to make her understand.

"Callie, you will find someone just like I did. I'm not the one. Even if I had never met VaLysia, it wouldn't have been you. Do you understand?"

She looked up at him and nodded.

"You'd better get an aids test and make her get one too." she replied finally.

"I'm fine. Don't worry" he replied.

He walked her out of his office and shook his head as she left the store. He looked around and saw that the store was still quite busy.

Time passed quickly the rest of the day and he knew that they had made more that Monday than they had in quite a while. A few people gave him congratulations. Several looked as if they wanted to say more but thought better of it. He was sure that in a few days things would die down just as quickly as it had started.

He finished his shift and left Gary with the two part time people to finish up. He wanted to get home and shower and hope that he could meet Val for dinner.

He was surprised when he walked out to his car to find Tameka, Val's cousin leaning against his car.

"Are you stalking me?" he asked surprised.

"Silly boy" Tameka replied giggling. "I'm not stalking you. I pass by here the same time every day when I get off. It seems that we both get off about the same time. I work down the street at the Department of Motor Vehicles, remember?"

She grinned at him showing all of her teeth. "Seems like we're about to become family, huh?"

"Something like that" Matheson replied.

"Well, I talked to Grandma and she wants you and Val to come to dinner tomorrow evening. I just stopped by to tell you since Val won't return her calls."

Matheson opened the driver's side door. "If she won't return her calls, what makes you think that she wants to come to dinner?"

"I was hoping that you'd convince her" Tameka replied.

"I doubt it." Matheson said starting the engine. "However, I will give her the message. See you later" he said as he pulled off.

His phone rang as he was headed home and he glanced down at it to see that it was his mother.

"Ma, I'll call you back" Matheson said. He didn't like talking on the phone while he was driving.

"Matheson, just stop by the house a minute. It's important" his mother replied.

"Alright, Ma" he said and then hung up. He wondered what was going on.

His mother rarely called and asked him to stop by unless it was important. He drove to the house and saw that his father's car wasn't there. He wondered what was up and he was sure that if something was wrong with his father, his mother would have told him.

Emily was waiting in the kitchen.

"Matheson!" she said running up to him and kissing him.

"Hey Ma" he replied grinning.

"You look different" she remarked immediately. She stared at him.

"You got that sleepy look like your father." she replied.

"What does that mean?" he asked

"It means that VaLysia's drained you dry no doubt" Emily replied.

Matheson laughed. "Really, Ma! You're something else."

"I didn't hear you deny it" Emily replied getting a soda out of the refrigerator.

"You didn't ask me over here to see if I'm dehydrated so what's up?" he replied.

"Your Aunt Hannah called. Seems as if some reporter called her and asked her what she thought about your engagement. Well she told him that she didn't know what he was talking about. She in turn called your Uncle William Jr who in turned called your grandfather. "

"So what?" Matheson replied getting a soda from himself. "They were bound to find out eventually. I don't see what the problem is. Dad bought both of them out years ago. Why in the world should I care what they think?"

His mother sighed. "They are still your aunt and uncle. The business was named for your Aunt Hannah. They never liked me. Hannah tried to convince her mother that I was really after your grandfather William, Sr. She couldn't believe that I wanted Gregory. He was so young. Anyway, things worked out but she never took to me. She used to meddle in things when Gregory took over and he ended up buying her out just so he could have control. His brother never was interested in baking. He was the easier of the two to sell his interest."

"I still don't understand what the big deal is." Matheson replied.

"I am sure that she is filling your grandfather with all sorts of tales" Emily replied worried. "She thinks that I had something to do with you and VaLysia getting together."

"I wouldn't worry about it." Matheson replied. "I'll talk to Gramps myself. I mean he may not agree with my choice, but it's my choice and not his."

Emily picked up the phone. "May as well get it over with."

Matheson watched as she quickly dialed the number and handed him the phone.

He heard his grandfather answer the phone.

"Hi Gramps!" he said.

"Who is this?"
his Grandfather replied on the other end.

"It's Matheson"

"Matheson? Boy I ought to take you out behind the barn and whip your butt!"


"Why is that, Gramps?"

"I haven't heard from you in months for one" his Grandfather replied. "Now Hannah tells me that you've run off and eloped with some colored girl? Boy, have you lost your mind? It's not legal is it?"

Matheson laughed. "It's legal, Gramps. But I haven't married her yet. We're just engaged."

"That's great!" his Grandfather replied. "There's still time to change your mind."

"I won't change my mind, Gramps" Matheson replied.

"Boy, colored and white weren't meant to marry! What does your father have to say about this?"

"It's my decision. I told him that I love her. He can't change my mind and neither can you." Matheson replied.

"Boy, you're bringing shame on the Hendrick's name. Why can't you find a nice girl? A decent girl. You're a good looking boy. Why are you doing this?" his Grandfather asked angrily.

"I love her. I want to marry her." Matheson said. "I know things like that weren't done in your day, Gramps but times have changed. She's the one for me."

"That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. You marry a woman to improve your station. You marry a woman who can contribute something to the marriage. No colored woman can improve your position in the community son. In fact, this foolishness can hinder the business and profits will go down for sure."


Matheson tried to be patient. "Business was booming in the store today, Gramps. Business hasn't been hurt one bit!"

"That's because right now it's a freak show and you're the number one freak! God, Matheson. Wake up boy! Don't do this thing."


"I've got to go, Gramps." he said. He was tired of listening to his Grandfather's tirade.

He hung up the phone and looked at his mother who shook her head. His grandfather was hard of hearing and had talked loudly in the phone. Matheson was sure that she had heard the entire exchanged.

"I'll see you later, Ma" he replied as he walked out the door. He knew that this was just the beginning of confrontations with his friends and family members and he was not looking forward to dealing with them.

Gary