Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Matheson and Val face prejudice.  Possessive Matheson.  Uexpected Visitor




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Calm Before the Storm

The house in Virginia was beautiful! It was much larger than Val had imagined. She looked around amazed. There was an abundance of trees and a gazebo. She expected a small bungalow, but it was a four bedroom brick home with a large two car garage. It had a long driveway that led up to the house which reminded her of the opening scene of the television show Dallas.

Matheson picked her up from the train station and it took him about twenty minutes to get to the house which overlooked the James River. She could see why her grandmother would love it here. It was quiet and peaceful. The only sound she could hear when she got out of the car was the rustling of the wind in the trees.

"This is a great escape" she said looking around the grounds. "I can't imagine why you all don't come here more often."

"No time really" Matheson replied getting the bags out of the trunk of his car. "I always enjoyed my time here. Come on in and let me show you the house."

There were four large white rockers on the front porch and they walked into the hallway where there were steps leading upstairs. She followed Matheson as he took the stairs two at a time. The bedroom he led her into was large with a beautiful cedar bed with matching furniture. There were French double doors which led out to a small screened in porch. Matheson sat the luggage down and she walked over to the dresser and looked in the mirror at her reflection. She could see Matheson watching her closely.

There was a white bowl and pitcher on the dresser and she ran her hand along it. "It's beautiful" she said smiling. She felt that she had stepped back in time as she looked at the chenille bedspread on the four poster bed.

"This will be our room" he said watching her. "It used to be my parent's room. I sent some things down last week to make it homier for us. The rest Ma shipped down."

He walked over to her and took her in his arms. "I used to dream about what it would be like to bring my wife here. Now I'm about to find out."

"Yes, it seems you may get your wish" she replied kissing him. "Show me the rest of the house."

He showed her the other three bedrooms as well another screened in porch that was on the upper level that gave them an excellent view of the river. There was a full bath upstairs and a shower off from the bedroom they were staying in.

Downstairs there was a living room, dining room, a full kitchen, den and a sunroom as well as another screened in porch and a small bedroom off from the kitchen. A half bath was off from the large kitchen as well. They walked out of the back door onto a large deck.

"I had to have the yard cleaned up. It was totally overgrown" Matheson said. "That path leads down to the river and I'll be glad to take you down there later if you want. The house has been cleaned, so you don't have to worry about that. It was in great shape, however there is still some work needed on the exterior."

Just then they saw an older man coming up the path towards the house. His white hair and bushy eyebrows reminded Val of Andy Rooney off of Sixty Minutes. He had on a pair of beige shorts and a navy polo shirt.

"Hi, may I help you?" Matheson asked as he approached.

"I'm looking for the owners of this property" the man replied none too friendly. He continued to walk around looking at the property as if the two of them were not even there.

"Is there a problem?" Matheson asked walking down the steps of the deck to face him.

"I'm James Barnham. I own the property next to this one. Are you the owner?" he looked up at Val and then back at Matheson.

"Actually it's her grandmother's property" Matheson replied looking at Val. "If you have a concern, you can let me or my fiancé know and it will be addressed."

The man looked from Matheson to Val surprised. He crossed his arms across his chest and stared at the two of them.

"It was my understanding that the founder of the Hannah's Bakery chain owned this property. That's what I was told when I bought mine a couple of years ago!" Mr. Barnham snapped none too pleased. "It seems I've been misled. I didn't know black people owned this property!"

Matheson heard Val gasp and his eyes narrowed at Mr. Barnham. Val instantly recognized that look. She had seen it on his mother's face when she became upset. She wondered what Matheson was going to do and hoped that he wouldn't lose his temper.

"Mr. Barnham, you were not misled" he replied tartly. "This property originally belonged to my parents who are the owners of the Hannah's chain. I am their son. What is the problem?"

Mr. Barnham cleared his throat. "Look, I don't want any problems. You liberals from up north think you can come down here and change the world. I've invested a lot in my property. I don't want the value going down with wild parties and noise, jacked up cars with people leaving forty ounce beer bottles lying around. "

Matheson clenched and unclenched his fist. "The only noise I hear right now is what's coming out of your mouth, Mr. Barnham. I don't appreciate your speculation on events that haven't even happened. "

Mr. Barnham began walking around the property. "I see you've been cleaning this place up. I was about to file a complaint about all the overgrown shrubbery, but you've taken care of that. The shutters could use some paint and so could your fence though!"

Matheson tried to be patient. "I am aware of the improvements that need to be made to the property" he replied his voice a low growl. "If you had been paying attention, you would have seen the people here working over the last week."

Mr. Barnham ignored his hostility. He turned to Val. "Have your grandmother call me if she's interested in selling the property. I'm sure that the money I'm willing to pay is more than she could get otherwise."

Val drew back as he attempted to hand her a card. "No thank you, Mr. Barnham. My grandmother has already stated that she's giving it to me and Matheson as a wedding gift. I love it here already."

Mr. Barnham looked at her and then at Matheson and shook his head. "Look, I don't want no trouble down here. It's a quiet community. We want to keep it that way. You're not planning on living here in this house are you?"

Matheson tried to control his temper. "Look Mr. Barnham, whether we live here or not is none of your business. What difference does that make anyway?"

"Matheson, I'm going into the house to get something to drink" Val said. She had heard enough! That Mr. Barnham had some nerve!

"Alright, Babe. I've got this" he replied watching her. He waited until she had shut the door behind her.

"I don't appreciate the way you've been talking around my fiancé!" Matheson hissed. "Her being the owner will not bring down property values!"

"Look boy" Mr. Barnham replied. "You may be the son of a millionaire and all that, but we have different ways down here in the south. If you can't abide by the rules, maybe you need to be somewhere else."

"What rules?" Matheson snapped.

"We have a clean and decent community. I mean you may want to mix with those people, but I'm telling you that there are a lot of people who won't like it" he replied his voice a veiled threat.

"What does that mean?" Matheson replied. "Times are changing, Mr. Barnham."

"Yeah" he spat. "Usually we have to protect our daughters from them…now look at you! What kind of example will you be to other boys in this community? They'll think that it's OK to bring home a black girl once they see the two of you parading around. In my day-"

"It was going on in your day too, Mr. Barnham" Matheson replied patiently.

"Not out in the open" Barnham replied "You never saw any colored people unless they were working in the yard or the house."

"Well thank god those days are over" Matheson replied sarcastically.

Mr. Barnham continued to walk around the property looking as he talked with Matheson following close behind.

"Look, I'm just warning you. People around here will not be comfortable seeing you two. They'll have to try to explain this thing to their kids. "

"Look Barnham, I'm not responsible for your children or anyone else's! If their sons want a black girl, they wanted one before they saw me with Val. Now I've heard enough. You need to get off of my property."

Mr. Barnham stopped in his tracks and turned to Matheson. "Look, I'm just trying to warn you. Other neighbors may not be so friendly. I just came over here to find out the truth so that I can let The Association know. I'm willing to take this property off of your hands. This place has been borderline on getting a warning as it is. I was just trying to help."

"Well the dues are paid up. The property is in order and you've delivered your welcome" Matheson spat. "You can leave now, and tell the Association that a white man marrying a black woman is not the end of the world, nor is it in the Association Handbook!"

He turned and then walked back into the house and slammed the door. He found Val in the kitchen.

"Is he gone?" she asked.

"Yeah, the welcoming committee has spoken" Matheson replied sarcastically. "Can you believe that man? He comes up here and tries to tell me that I'm setting a bad example for the other boys in the neighborhood! He thinks that if they see us together that they'll want to bring black girls home."

Val laughed. "That's funny."

"I don't see how you can be so casual about this!" Matheson replied clearly offended.

"Look, baby" she said walking over to him. "I've put up with crap like this all my life. Don't let it get to you."

Matheson sighed. "I guess this is what Mavis was talking about when she asked me if I could handle the repercussions of being with you."

"It's only just begun" Val said kissing him.

He grinned and ran his hand over her backside. "Well let them bring it on. I like what I got and no one 's going to change my mind."

"Oh, I hope not" she giggled.

"I gave the workers the weekend off. They won't be back until Monday" he whispered. "We can try out all four rooms if you want to."

"I'm hungry" Val said pulling away from him.

"I'll take you to this nice seafood restaurant" he replied "but I need a little personal attention. After all, it's been eight long days."

She looked down at his obvious erection.

"What about the poor example you're setting for all the neighborhood boys?" she teased.

"I think I'm setting a good example" he replied. "If she makes you horny as hell, marry her on the spot!"

He grabbed at her and she evaded him and ran up the steps. Matheson was close behind her and grabbed her as she reached the bedroom. They fell on the bed and he rolled on top of her. Val was giggling uncontrollably. She looked up at him and was surprised at the serious expression on his face.

"What's wrong?"

"We need to set a date for the wedding. I want to get married, Val." His voice was serious.

"I know that, Matheson" she replied sitting up. "I have to get my money together-"

"I'm paying for everything" he replied. "You don't have to save up for the wedding."

"Matheson that's not right. " Val protested. "I have to make a contribution. Weddings are expensive-"

"Look" he replied patiently. "I have six million dollars in the bank. My mother gave me part of her inheritance when I turned twenty one. She still has another twenty five million. Hannah's is turning a profit. I've had all the money any man could want for a long time, yet I was miserable. You have never asked me for one dime since we've been together. Other than the ring and a few dinners, I've hardly spent anything on you. I want to do this. It's our money. Let's spend it."

Val stared at him. He was worth millions. Damn! "I have to pay for something!" she protested. "It's only right. My grandma would have a fit if I let you pay for everything!"

"Then pay for your dress! The rest I'll take care of." He replied. "I'll tell Mavis myself if you want me to."

"Please" his voice was pleading as he pulled up her skirt and pushed her back on the bed.

"I want some married pussy. Sweet and all mines." He confessed kissing her thighs.

"It's already all yours" she reminded him.

"I want it legal. I want my name stamped on this" he said kissing her through her underwear. "I want God and everybody to know its mine and mine alone."

"Matheson's pussy….that's what you want to call it? Shall I have that tattooed on it for you?" she asked as he pulled down her underwear.

He didn't reply immediately as his full attention was now on the task at hand. Started at her toes and began nibbling up her leg. When he reached his destination, he parted her with his fingers and gave her a long lick. She closed her eyes and let him have his way. There appeared to be desperation in him and she felt him bite the inside of her thigh.

"Matheson!" she gasped at his assault on her tender flesh.

"I just tattooed it for you" he murmured. "Get on your knees. You know you like it like that."

"I do" she replied. She got off of the bed and quickly removed the rest of her clothes and he did the same. For a moment he looked like his mother with the wild look he had in his eyes. He was after all Emily Matheson Hendricks's son and she realized now that he did possess some of his mother's ways.

He grabbed her by the leg when she climbed back on the bed and she felt his teeth nip her backside. She gasped and then he quickly kissed the offended area. He parted her cheeks and licked her, his actions totally shocking her. He gave her backside numerous kisses and then he ran his tongue between her cheeks. She felt him run his tongue back and forth along her virgin opening wondering what he was planning to do.

"Matheson!"

"All mine! Everything is mine, even this. All of it!" he snapped before returning to explore the area again. "This is mine too, isn't it Val?"

She was too shocked to reply and gasped as he inserted his finger. "Don't worry…I'll take it slow" he whispered when she didn't respond.

Val didn't protest, but let him do whatever he wanted. When he was satisfied that he had her consent, he inserted a second finger and she gasped. She wasn't sure that she was ready for this. He then removed his fingers and entered her center from behind and she breathed a sigh of relief that he did not try to penetrate her where he'd just removed his fingers.

"That's for another time" he said as if reading her mind.

He gripped her tightly pounding into her none too gently.

"You like this?" he growled. "Tell me you like it!"

His voice was both demanding and desperate. He seemed almost wild, his movements were wild and he gripped her tightly.

"Yeah baby I like it." She replied barely able to catch her breath.

"You miss it? Tell me you missed it!" he demanded raising her up off of the bed.

"I missed it terribly" she exclaimed back at him. "Show me how much you missed it!"

His grip was like a vise now and she felt him raise her hips up on the bed even higher as he exploded inside her. Never had he been this possessive of her and she wondered if the conversation with Mr. Barnham had anything to do with his mood.

He collapsed on the bed beside her pulling her close.

"Eight days is way too long" he whispered. "I'm addicted."

Val giggled. "You're lucky, buster. My time is right around the corner."

He groaned. "Isn't there something you can do to get rid of that?"

"Yeah, pregnancy" she quipped.

"That wouldn't be a bad thing" he said grinning.

"Can't we get used to each other first before we bring a baby in the picture?" she asked.

"I'm already used to you" he replied.

Just then his cell went off and he reached across the bed and saw that his Mom was calling.

"Hi Mom" he said smiling.

"This is your father, Matheson." Gregory said from the other end of the line. "Where is VaLyisa?"

"She's right here" Matheson replied grinning at Val.

"Look, I've got some bad news."

Matheson sat up in the bed. "What's wrong? Is Mom alright? Is it Mavis?"

Val's eyes locked with his at his worried expression.

"No, nothing like that." Gregory replied. "It seems that Billy broke an axle when he was passing through Richmond. Hannah asked the tow truck driver how far they were from Williamsburg and when he told her about an hour, she insisted on going there instead since it would take several days for the car to be repaired."

"You've got to be kidding." Matheson snapped. "Why the hell didn't Uncle Billy stop her?"

"There's no stopping her, Matheson." Gregory replied. "Anyway, she called a cab and asked to be brought to Williamsburg. Billy refused to intrude on you two and decided to stay in Richmond for the night until he could get a rental car. It seems my busybody sister is now stranded in Williamsburg and wants to come to see the property. She suddenly called my father and told him what happened and told him about you and Val going to Williamsburg. Grandpa told her that he gave the property to me and your mother after we were married and so she became hell bent on coming there to check it out. She says that she forgot her wallet and that it's with Billy. You'll have to go and pick her up and put her up for the night, son. As much as she irritates me, she is my sister. Billy will be there in the morning to get her."

Matheson stared at the phone in disbelief.

"I can't believe this!" Matheson spat.

"I'm sorry son" Gregory said. "I tried to offer her a room in Colonial Williamsburg instead, but she insisted on coming to the house. It's just for one night."

Matheson was livid. "Fine! I'll go and get the old biddy, but I'm not responsible for any bodily injury that may occur."

He hung up the phone and related the conversation to Val.

"Well let's go and get her then" Val replied. "It's only for one night, Matheson. How bad could it be?"

Matheson got off of the bed clearly upset. "I could ignore the call and just leave her sitting out there on a bench somewhere!"

"That wouldn't be right, Matheson" Val replied. "She's just being difficult…and nosy!"

She kissed him. "Look, let her look. We have nothing to be ashamed about. Maybe she'll leave here a more educated woman."

"You have to have an open mind to be educated." Matheson replied. "Maybe I should send her over to Barnham's house and let her stay over there! Come on, let's get this over with!"

Val quickly dressed and wondered what else was in store for them on this so called stress free vacation.
Hendricks Va. Home