Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Val and Hannah spend the day together.  




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


A Day of Bonding

Val walked down to Hannah's room and tapped gently on the door. She opened it and could tell from the light from the hallway that Hannah was sound asleep. She walked over to her and shook her.

"Hannah, wake up!" Val said leaning over her.

Hannah jumped up. "What's wrong?" she asked sounding confused.

"Nothing is wrong." Val replied. "I need you to get up. I've made an appointment at Illusions by Mario. We have to be there at 7 AM."

"What? I thought we were going shopping" Hannah said sitting up.

"We are. I made an appointment at a salon nice for us. You can get your hair done and maybe I can get a massage." Val said grinning. "I called my beautician for a recommendation for a nice hair salon and spa in this area. I told her I wanted only the best!"

"Your beautician?" Hannah replied shocked "What would she know about my hair?"

Val laughed. "Beauticians are just like any other profession. They go to seminars and they network with others in their field both white and black. I asked her for the very best here in Williamsburg and she made a few calls and found out about this place. I hear it's quite expensive."

Hannah rubbed her eyes. "Just because it's expensive does not mean that it's good. Where is this place?"

"Over on Hawthorne Street." Val replied. "Just check it out. If it's not up to your standards then we'll leave."

Hannah stood up and stretched. "Well I hope it's worth the interruption of my rest. I'll get ready."

Val quickly showered and dressed leaving Matheson in the bed when she left the house at 6:30 AM. Hannah came out of the house with her hair back in her classic bun and Val took Matheson's car. He still had the pickup truck in the garage if he wanted to go anywhere.

They arrived at Mario's and there were three cars in the parking lot. Hannah got out and looked around. Maybe they weren't that busy yet since it was only 7 am.

"This is a nice area, but they don't appear to do much business." She replied sounding skeptical. She didn't know what possessed her to listen to this girl allow her to talk her into this in the first place!

"It's by appointment only." Val replied. "Matheson put in a call last night to the owner and paid for everything in advance. Mario, the owner was only happy to oblige and gave us an appointment before they open their regular time."

Before they could reach for the door it quickly opened and the owner Mario was there to greet them.

He was a short man with dark eyes and black hair. He was perfectly groomed and looked about forty years old. His smile was infectious and warm.

"Good Morning, ladies" he said grinning. "Miss Hendricks, we have been expecting you. Your nephew insisted that you receive the very best treatment. My staff and I have been anticipating your arrival!"

Hannah sniffed and looked around as they walked in. The place was gorgeous. The hardwood floors were immaculate and shiny. Lit candles burned giving off light that was warm and relaxing. Two young ladies dressed in black uniforms were standing and waiting to attend them.

"Miss Hendricks, you will go with Anna "Mario said to Hannah pointing to a short dark haired woman who nodded.

Before Hannah could respond, Anna came over and took her arm.

Val watched as Hannah was led away. She looked around and then back at Mario.

"What time should I come back to get her?" She doubted if she could afford this place and decided to just leave Hannah and come back. She would try to get her massage at a later date.

Mario grinned. "Ah, you are Miss Chamberlayne, correct?"

"Yes" Val replied surprised.

"I have instructions from Mr. Hendricks that I am to give you my personal attention." Mario replied grinning. "Nothing but the very best for his aunt and fiancé were his exact words!"

Val raised an eyebrow. "Oh really? I gather that Mr. Hendricks has paid a pretty penny for all this, right?"

"My instructions were that money would not be discussed with either of you." Mario replied. "You and your aunt are to get everything I have to offer and you both are to receive our full attention. Everything has been generously paid for by Mr. Hendricks in advance. There will be no other clients before noon."

He waved the other young lady over that was that was standing by.

"This is Melody. She will assist me by giving you the full body treatment. You will leave here today feeling refreshed and invigorated. I have called in a beautician that has been highly recommended for your hair type and style you prefer. She will redo your hair after I administer a complete scalp therapy, a scalp massage and hair treatment."

Val was shocked at Matheson's extravagance. She couldn't imagine how much all of this "attention" would cost. However if he wanted her to have it, she wasn't going to protest.

It was nearly noon before Val was done. Mario had personally administered the hair and scalp therapy starting with a scalp, neck and shoulder massage before washing and conditioning her hair. He had the beautician he brought in redo her twists and then he had given her a facial. Later she had a hydrothermal massage where she had lain in a tub of water filled cushions as Mario and Melody massaged her body. She felt like she was in heaven and when they were done, she was totally relaxed and invigorated just as Mario had promised. She received a manicure and pedicure and a full body wrap which smelled like peppermint and rosemary. Val was then rubbed down by Melody from her neck to her toes with lotions and oils specifically chosen for her skin type.

When she was done, Mario escorted her to the waiting area and served her some hot tea and shortbread cookies as she waited for Hannah. She felt wonderful and wondered how Hannah was enjoying all that Mario had to offer.

"That was wonderful. I must say that I'm impressed!" she heard Hannah say from behind her as she walked into the room. Val turned around and was shocked. If it wasn't for the grey dress and the voice, she may not have realized that this was Hannah standing before her.

They had cut her long hair. Gone was the bun and the gray and it was now blonde with noticeable highlights. It was cut in a bob haircut that was parted on the left side and cut at an angle about an inch below her chin. Her makeup was flawless and her lipstick while still pink was a richer tone than what she had worn before. She looked at least twenty years younger. Her thick eyebrows had been thinned out some bringing out her blue eyes that reminded Val of Gregory.

"Hannah!" Val exclaimed. "You look wonderful."

Hannah stared at her a moment. "Thank you. I must say that I was a bit apprehensive at first, but Mario told me that with my bone structure that I could wear this style well. I must say that when I looked in the mirror, I couldn't believe what I saw staring back at me."

"I'll bet!" Val replied. "It's very becoming. Matheson is going to be shocked for sure."

Hannah looked at Val. "I see you haven't changed your hair much."

"Afraid not." She replied smiling. "I like this style"

They walked out to the car. Val decided to go to Talbot's first so that Hannah could shop. Hannah looked at her impressed as they pulled up into the parking lot.

"I half expected you to take me to Wal-Mart or something." She said grinning. Val rolled her eyes.

"Talbot's is a very nice store and I think its right in line with your taste" Val replied.

"We'll see" Hannah remarked. "I haven't been here in a while. They are however very conservative and classy when it comes to clothes. I have to agree with you on that."

She looked at Val and smiled. "You've surprised me. You're nothing like I thought you'd be."

"Well you've surprised me too." Val replied laughing getting out of the car. "I half expected you to refuse getting a new look."

"I did it because of Matheson" Hannah remarked.

Truth be told, no one had ever cared enough to talk to her like Matheson had. He had shocked her. She had thought about what he said about her hair when she looked in the mirror before she went to bed that night. She realized then that she needed a change, a new beginning.

They walked into the store and were greeted at the door. The sales lady looked at them and appeared to have just as much attitude as Hannah.

"May I help you?" she said looking at Val and giving her a dismissive look.

"Yes, I'd like to see some of everything" Val replied looking around.

"We don't have any sales going on right now" the older sales lady replied, her glasses perched on the end of her nose.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Hannah asked just as haughtily. "Who said anything about a sale?"

"I'm sorry" the woman said looking from Val to Hannah. "Are you two together?"

"Yes we are" Val snapped.

The woman turned Hannah. "I see. Come this way."

Hannah followed her and looked around and saw that Val was looking at some blouses. The woman got the attention of another sales clerk that happened to be black and pointed to Val for her to go over and help her.

Val looked up as the young lady approached her.

"I will be happy to assist you" she replied smiling.

"Do you work on commission?" Val asked glancing at snooty sales clerk that was talking to Hannah.

"Yes ma'am" the girl responded.

Val smiled at the girl who appeared to be about sixteen. "I gather that you don't make as much as the others, huh?" she asked grinning noticing that the girl wore a tag with the name Tesha on it.

"No. I normally work the register. Most of the regular clientele come when there preferred sales clerk is here." Tesha admitted. "If they request that a particular sales clerk help them and they are on duty, we are happy to do so."

Val looked at the girl. "That's what I thought. Look, I'm the one paying for the two of us." She nodded towards Hannah. "You will earn a hefty commission today. Come on and help me pick some things out."

The girl grinned broadly and Val noticed that Hannah was walking towards them and the other sales clerk appeared none too happy.

"I don't have my credit card with me" Hannah whispered to Val. "I had to tell that clerk that I was just browsing. If you will just allow me to get some basic things-"

"Forget it, Hannah!" Val replied. "I have my credit card and I'm buying everything. Madison will reimburse me. He just called checking on us and insisted that I buy you a whole new wardrobe!"

"I can't allow you to do that" Hannah gasped.

"I have my instructions." Val replied. "Matheson wants you to get a whole new wardrobe and I am to help you pick it out." She turned to Tesha. "Tesha here will assist us, won't you Tesha?"

"Yes ma'am" Tesha replied grinning.

"In fact, we're going to be sure to pick out something you can wear home!" Val exclaimed. "I can't wait for Matheson to see the new you."

The snooty sales clerk was now helping another customer and Val was glad about that. When they completed their shopping, Val had helped Hannah pick out ten outfits as well as accessories and lingerie. Hannah on the other hand picked out several items for Val.

"I told my nephew that your taste in lingerie left much to be desired" she said giving Val a slight smile as they stood at the register. "I cannot imagine that Matheson approved of what you gave me to sleep in. That gown was below my knees so it has to reach the floor when you wear it. I'm perplexed as to why you even bought it in the first place."

Val giggled. "Well, I bought it in case I got cold…you know afterwards"

Hannah cleared her throat and watched at Tesha rung up the items. "I see"

They ended up spending over a thousand dollars and the snooty sales clerk was none too happy about losing the sale. Tesha on the other hand appeared euphoric. She helped them carry their purchases to the car.

"Thank you so much!" she said grinning from ear to ear.

Val pulled off into the traffic.

"I'm starving" Hannah replied.

"Matheson texted me and told me that he's cooking on the grill." Val replied. "That was about thirty minutes ago. It should be ready by the time we get there."

Matheson looked at his watch and noticed that it was nearly three o'clock! Val and Hannah had been gone the entire day. Normally he would have been upset, but she had reminded him the night before that they still had the entire week ahead of them.

He heard a car pull up into the drive way and was a little disappointed when he realized that it was his uncle. He had talked to him that morning and told him to come down and plan on staying for the night. He realized that he wanted to spend some time with both of them because didn't get to see them that often. Billy had agreed and he and Hannah would leave the next morning.

He walked off of the deck and met Billy at the car.

"Hey Uncle Billy" he replied grinning.

"Matheson." Billy said opening the trunk. "I must say I was surprised at the invite considering the situation. Hannah can be a pest sometimes."

Matheson helped him with the bags and took his uncle to the bedroom next to Hannah's.

"You can stay here for the night" he said "Aunt Hannah's staying right next to you."

"Where is she by the way" Billy asked looking around.

"She and Val went shopping. They should be back any time now" Matheson replied showing his uncle around.

"Now that is a surprise for sure' Billy replied laughing. "I can't imagine that my sister and your fiancé having anything in common."

"You'd be surprised" Matheson replied.

"The house looks good" Billy observed as Matheson did the walk through.

"I didn't realize that Gramps owned it until Hannah told me." Matheson replied. "She said she came back to recapture a bit of her childhood and not to pester me."

"Humph! Do you believe that" Billy asked as they walked back on the deck. Matheson handed him a glass and poured some lemonade from a pitcher he got out of the refrigerator.

"Yeah, I think she's being sincere" Matheson replied.

"She's really unhappy Billy. She doesn't have anyone-"

"That's her fault" Billy insisted. "If she wasn't so stuck up and ornery, she'd have someone!"

"I don't think that's it" Matheson replied "Did you all used to joke about her looks and tell her she looked like the woman with the farmer holding a pitchfork?"

Billy laughed. "I forgot all about that!" He looked at Matheson. "That was all in fun. Hannah was always so serious! Surely she knew that! I mean, you know Papa. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body and he thought it was funny! He even tried to get some guys that worked with him to take her out and she fought him at every turn!"

Matheson checked the food on the grill and then turned to his uncle.

"Can you blame her? Who wants to go out with someone that your father coerced into taking you out. Take that and add it to the jokes about her looks and you have a girl with no self esteem." Matheson replied. "She's not as hard hearted and cold as you think she is."

Billy laughed. "Oh she's really got you snowed! Mama used to say that Hannah was born an adult! She was serious from the womb and so independent and opinionated! She's never needed any of us! All Hannah ever needed was Hannah!"

Matheson stared at his uncle a moment. How could this man, her twin be so dense as to believe that his sister didn't need anyone. He didn't reply and just continued to turn the food over on the grill. Was he the only one who could see Hannah's pain? Was he the only one that could see behind wall she had built around herself?

Just then he heard another car door shut and walked around the corner of the wrap around deck and looked up the driveway and saw Val get out of the car. He didn't see Hannah and wondered what had happened.

"Close your eyes!" Val yelled as she waved to him. "We have a surprise for you!"

Matheson laughed. "Uncle Billy's here. Do you want him to close his eyes too?"

"Of course" Val yelled back.

Matheson walked back around to the other end of the deck where Billy was sitting.

"Val wants us to close our eyes. She has a surprise for us"

"You're kidding." Billy said. "Alright then. I"ll play along."

"Come on, Val" Matheson yelled out loud.

He could hear footsteps approaching and walking up the steps of the deck.

"Open up." Val said.

Matheson looked at Val and for a moment he didn't recognize his aunt. Her hair was now it's former blonde color that he had seen in pictures that were in his mother's photo album. Her hair had been cut in a short bob and her make up brought out her large blue eyes. Her glasses hung around her neck on her chain as usual, but gone was the grey dress. She had on a seafoam green sweather and black slacks. All Matheson could do was stare at the radical transformation.

"Close your mouth Matheson" he heard Val say giggling.

Matheson looked at his uncle who was equally stunned. He then walked over to his aunt and took her by the shoulders. She looked up at him and he could see her apprehension.

"You look beautiful, Aunt Hannah" he said sincerely. "I told you that this would be a new beginning for all of us."

For a moment he could see her hesistation and then relief at his declaration. He knew that she wanted his approval and she tried to hide the joy that her eyes revealed. "I want to thank you for your generousity, Matheson." she said "I insist on paying you back for all the things we bought today."

"No way" Matheson replied kissing her on the cheek. "This is a long overdue gift for my secret pal."

He watched as her expression softened and she quickly looked away. Matheson took her by the chin and forced her to look at him.

"You really are beautiful" he whispered.

Hannah stared at him a moment and he could see that she was afraid to take him at his word. She quickly looked over at her brother who was watching the exchange. Matheson watched as she drew herself up and walked away from him displaying her former haughtiness, however there was a sway of confidence in her walk as she went over to the grill. She looked up at him giving him a wry smile.

"What's a girl got to do to get fed around this joint? I'm starved!" she snapped winking at him.
Hannah Hendricks