Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

William Sr. gives Mavis a proposition.  Matheson is disappointed with his mother.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The Proposition

William Hendricks was a man that was used to getting his way. He hadn't built Hannah's by being soft. No, he had to do what he had to do over the years. He had built a successful business and had turned it over to his son who had grown it even more. Now, Matheson was on the verge of taking things over and his expectations for his grandson were huge. This marriage, however did not figure in his plans.

His oldest son and namesake had been a slight disappointment to him. Billy had shown absolutely no interest in the business when he was younger. His head was always in a book and he'd rather eat than cook. He could hardly stand to get his hands dirty, much less kneading dough!

His daughter Hannah did show interest in the bakery, however her interest was in the accounting aspect of the business. Hannah loved crunching numbers. At first he thought that perhaps she just wanted to see how much money they were making, but he soon realized that she actually loved doing the books and didn't even want to be paid for it. He was surprised when she decided to go off to school instead of staying home and working with him. He knew that his persistant nagging about finding a husband had something to do with it, but he hadn't expected her to run off like she did.

His wife later had explained to him that Hannah was hurt by his efforts to find her a husband. Well hell, maybe he could have handled the situation more delicately, but he did try. He was trying to help her out! After all, he was a practical man and he knew that Hannah was no beauty! She was nothing like Emily. He could understand her. Emily had spunk and went after what she wanted. He could relate to that. Hannah was too quiet and mousy. Her shyness and reclusive personality exasperated him. He was a go getter and he tried to push Hannah to be the same way, but she totally rebelled.

William knew that his daughter and Emily didn't get along, but he figured it would work out in time. It never did. Emily and Hannah were like oil and water. Hannah and Gregory had grown closer by the time he reached his teens and she was protective of her brother. William doubted that any woman would be up to her expectations when it came to Gregory.

Gregory had been a pleasant surprise for him. He wasn't expecting any more children after the twins. After all more than ten years had gone by and nothing had happened. He was shocked when Jessica told him that she was pregnant. She was almost forty years old! Still, he had been secretly thrilled and when Gregory was born, he felt his heart swell with pride. Gregory was a perfectly beautiful child and a mirror image of himself. Unlike the twins, his hair was a dark brown almost black and his eyes were large and blue.

He knew that he doted on Gregory and spoiled him rotten, but it seemed to have no adverse affect on him. Gregory loved being in the bakery and seemed to absorb everything about its operation at a young age. William knew that he should have given more attention to the twins, but he couldn't help himself. Gregory was special. He was happy and content to turn the business over to him after he and Emily got married.

His mind wandered to Matheson. He was disappointed when he heard about Emily's medical condition and the fact that there would be no more babies. Still Matheson was a perfect baby and he was delighted when he was interested in the business. William Sr. was glad that the legacy would continue for another generation.

Now of course, he wasn't happy with Matheson's choice in women and he wondered what he could do about it. He didn't want to alienate his grandson so things had to be handled delicately. First he hired a private investigator to do a thorough background check on Valysia Chamberlayne. Then he had the same thing done to her grandmother, Mavis.

He had now been at his son's for two weeks and he was ready to return to Florida. Jessica had phoned him several days ago asking when he would return and he had been evasive. He decided to ask her to come to Baltimore for a visit to stall his return. After all, she hadn't been to Baltimore in over a year. He knew that she didn't travel much being on dialysis, but still that could be arranged.

He convinced Jessica and her to visit for a week and quickly informed his son and Emily. He told them that Jessica needed to be told in person about Matheson's engagement and they had agreed. It looked like things were working in his favor and Jessica's visit would buy him enough time until he could get the report back from the private investigator.

William hadn't discussed the engagement with anyone since he had talked to Matheson several weeks before. He had avoided the issue until he could figure out a plan. He knew that Gregory and Emily must think that he had accepted Matheson's decision; however he had only retreated until he could regroup with a plan.

He was happy when Jessica called him back and informed him that she was flying to Baltimore and had made medical arrangements for her dialysis, but he was surprised when she told him that Hannah was returning with her. He hadn't planned on that…but still he could handle Hannah. In the meantime, he planned to have a little talk with Mavis.

He waited until Gregory had gone to work and then he told Emily that he was going out for some fresh air. He then called a cab and headed for Mavis apartment. The investigator had no problem locating her address and he thought about what he was going to say to her as he rode in the cab.

It wasn't long before they arrived at the assisted living facilty where Mavis lived, and he got out and paid the driver. He tapped his cane as he walked up the walkway. Maybe he could reason with this grandmother of Valysia's. He remembered her from the time he had met Emily. She seemed like a reasonable person. He didn't remember that much about her except for the fact that Emily doted on her and thought of her as her mother. He shook his head. How pathetic...making the hired help your mother! At first it hadn't bothered him too much especially when Emily and his wife got along so well. He just assumed that Mavis would be replaced by the more acceptable Jessica as a mother figure, however that had not happened. Emily practically worshiped the ground this colored woman walked on! He couldn't understand it.

He got the directions from the front desk and took the elevator to the floor of the apartment where Mavis resided. He knocked on the door. She opened it and if she was surprised to see him, she didn't let it show.

"Hello, Mr. William. This is a pleasant surprise" she replied smiling. "Won't you come in?"

Her attitude unnerved him a bit. He didn't expect her to be so pleasant. Still, he nodded and walked in and she ushered him to a nearby chair. The apartment was small, but he noticed that it was warm and comfortable. It was homey and she had instrumental Christian music playing. He could smell something pleasant cooking and it made his stomach growl. He hoped that she didn't hear it because this was not really a social call. Still if she offered, he wouldn't turn down whatever she was cooking.

"Can I get you a cup of tea" Mavis asked smiling. "I'm cooking some stew for a function at church. I'd be glad to fix a bowl for you."

"Don't mind if I do" William replied.

He watched as she walked into the kitchen and returned shortly with two steaming cups on a tray. She sat his on the table beside him and took hers and sat across from him. She pointed to a small bowl of soup and spoon that was also on the tray.

"You act as if you were expecting me" William said trying to figure her out. He tasted the soup and thought that it was delicious. He quickly bit a cracker.

"I had a feeling you might show up" Mavis said grinning. "I gather that you aren't too pleased with your grandson's choice of a bride. Does that have anything to do with your visit to me?"

"Look, don't take it personal-"

"I'm not" Mavis replied interrupting him. "My granddaughter told me that you didn't want any pickaninny grandchildren."

William had the decency to blush under her stare. Her mouth was smiling, but her eyes were hard and for a moment a bit of fear gripped him and he wondered if she had put anything in the tea he was sipping.

"I just want white grandchildren! He's the only male heir in the family. He's inheriting Hannah's." William said looking at her. "I don't have anything personally against your granddaughter. I just want him to marry white! By the way, this soup is delicious!"

Mavis smiled at his comment and picked up her cup.

"Suppose he had been gay?" Mavis asked sipping her tea. "What then would have happened to your precious legacy?"

William straightened up in his chair. "Matheson is not gay!"

"Oh I know that much" Mavis replied setting her cup down. "But just suppose. Who would you be having this conversation with? I mean he and his lover could adopt to continue the Hendricks legacy you know."

William stood up. "This conversation is asinine!"

He didn't want to think about that. He was glad that Matheson wasn't gay, and he didn't want to think about what he would have done in that situation.

"Look Matheson's not gay" William snapped. "I don't have to deal with that."

"And you're not going to have lily white grandchildren either" Mavis replied.

William stared at her.

"So you think this is a better alternative, being with your granddaughter?" He pointed his cane at her. "You think that I should be grateful that he's not gay so that makes being with your granddaughter more palatable? I don't think so!"

"Don't you think its better? At least you'll have grandchildren that are your blood." Mavis replied.

William was clearly shaken by her words. He wasn't expecting this. He turned around and returned to the chair across from her. He had to get control of this conversation.

"Look, I came here to make you an offer. If its money your granddaughter wants-"

Mavis started laughing. "You can't buy Valysia. She could care less about money. "

"All women care about money" William insisted.

"Then why can't Matheson make her spend any of his?" Mavis quipped.

William stared at her dumbfounded unable to respond to her comment.

Mavis smiled at his puzzled expression.

"Not every woman is interested in money, Mr. William. You won't be able to buy my granddaughter off. She loves Matheson and he loves her." She sipped her tea with her eyes still fixed on him.

"One million dollars is nothing to sneeze at" William replied hoping that the figure would impress her.

"I understand Matheson is worth much more than that" Mavis chuckled.

"What do you want?" William said sighing in defeat.

Mavis leaned forward in her seat and brought her face close to his.

"Accept it. It's a done deal" She sat back and sipped her tea again still smiling.

She sat her cup down and cleared her throat.

"Mr. William, I know you're not a bad man. I know you think that you know what's best for Matheson. I'm not even upset that you don't want him to marry my Valysia because she's black. We come from a different era. The truth is I was against their relationship at first for a whole different reason. In our day white men who wanted black women only wanted sex. They didn't want a real relationship. I was afraid that Matheson was that way. I misjudged him. He wants more from her than that. He's an honorable man because he comes from an honorable family."

"He doesn't have to marry her. I don't mean any harm but such a relationship has nothing positive going for it as far as Matheson is concerned." William said getting up. "He's my only grandson. The Hendricks name will end with him."

"I doubt if it'll end with him, Mr. William. Val and Matheson will have children" she said still eying him.

William got up and walked towards the door. "I told the cab to come back in an hour, so I'd better leave. I appreciate your hospitality. I wish you'd consider what I said. You could be taken care of for the rest of your life."

Mavis walked over to him. "I don't want for nothing, Mr. William" she said simply. "Your money is no good here."

"Goodbye Mavis" he said as he walked out the door.

William Hendricks walked outside and found the cab waiting. Everyone had a price. What was Valysia Chamberlayne's price? Perhaps the report from the private investigator would shed some light on the situation.

                                                    ((***))

Emily hung up the phone wondering what in the world was going on. Papa Hendricks was still staying with her and Gregory and wasn't even talking about going home. Now she received a call from Gregory's mother stating that she was flying in with Hannah. She paced back and forth for a few minutes. Hannah had just returned to Florida several weeks ago and now she was returning to Baltimore? That was highly unusual and she wondered what her sister in law was up to.

Mama Jessica said that her flight would be in that evening and Emily called Gregory and gave him the news. She didn't know where her father in law was as he had been leaving the house daily to 'get some air' as he called it. Something was most definitely up, but she didn't know what.

Mavis did tell her that he came by to see her which surprised Emily greatly. At first she speculated that perhaps her father in law was coming to accept the idea of Matheson and Val's engagement, but Mavis quickly killed that thought when she explained that he had tried to bribe her. He could have saved himself a trip if he had told her of his harebrained scheme, Emily thought. There was no way that her Mavis or Valysia would take his money.

She watched as the cab pulled up and Papa Hendricks got out and walked to the house. She met him at the door, flinging it open.

"Papa, where have you been?" she questioned as he walked by her.

"Out" he replied taking off his hat and throwing it on the table.

"I hope you're not out trying to bribe somebody else!" Emily snapped.

William looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "So she told you!"

Emily put her hands on her hips, clearly upset. "Of course she did!" she snapped. "How could you do such a thing? My Matheson is happy. He loves Val. Mavis would never take your money!"

William sighed and pulled out a chair and sat down. Emily noted that he looked tired.

"I had to try something. This marriage…this interracial union…it's unthinkable!" He said it more to himself than to Emily.

"Papa, don't upset yourself" Emily said patting him on the shoulder. "Matheson is happy. That's all that matters."

"You talk like a damn fool, Daughter! He could be just as happy with someone white! He just needs to look a little harder."

"His mind is made up" Emily said pulling up a chair and sitting down. "You just need to accept it."

"I don't think so!" William snapped tapping his cane on the kitchen tile.

"Ms. Jessica and Hannah are flying in and will be here this evening. She called me and told me that her flight will be in at 5:30 PM. Gregory is going to meet them at the airport."

She paused and looked at him sternly. "I don't want any trouble out of Hannah or you Papa. My Matheson is happy and you should just accept that fact!"

William clucked his mouth and stood up. "I'm tired. I'm going to lie down so that I can be well rested by the time they get here."

Emily watched as he walked out of the kitchen and hoped that he would be on his best behavior.


Matheson looked at his phone and read the text message from his Aunt Hannah. He was surprised that she was back in town so soon and even more surprised that she was traveling with his grandmother. His grandmother was sickly and did not travel a lot. He hadn't seen her for a while and he was glad that she was coming so that she could meet Val and learn of their engagement.

He called Val and told her that he was headed over to his parent's house and asked her to meet him there. He wanted her to meet his grandmother. He hoped that she was more reasonable than Gramps.

He pulled up in front of the door and saw that his father was home which meant that his Grandmother and Hannah had arrived.

He walked into the house and followed the voices he heard into the den. He found his parents sitting on the sofa talking to his grandparents. Hannah was sitting in a nearby chair. They all looked up as he entered the room.

"Matheson" his grandmother said reaching out for him. He immediately walked over to her and bent down and accepted the kiss she placed on his cheek. She looked at him, her eyes full of love. She patted his cheek and laughed gleefully.

"Hi Grandma" he replied grinning.

She patted his cheek again. "You look well. I've heard the news. Your father told me of your engagement. So when do I meet her?"

Matheson looked up at his father who was shaking his head vigorously and he gathered that his Grandmother had not been told that Val was black.

"Real soon, Grandmother" he said glancing around the room.

He looked over at Hannah who was wearing an aqua dress with matching heels. He stood up from kneeling in front of his grandmother and walked over to her.

"Aunt Hannah, you look beautiful" he said kissing her on the cheek. "I wasn't expecting to see you again so soon. This is a pleasant surprise!"

"Why thank you Matheson" she replied blushing. "I was hoping you wouldn't mind me coming back so soon."

"I'm always happy to see my favorite aunt" he teased. "Come back as often as you'd like."

Emily sat there and watched the exchange in shock. Since when did Matheson and Hannah become so chummy?

"Matheson can you help me in the kitchen a moment?" Emily said smiling while gritting her teeth.

Matheson followed her into the kitchen and she quickly turned around.

"So what was that all about?" she snapped at him.

"What?" Matheson asked surprised.

"You and Hannah. I've never seen her so….sickly sweet! I'd think you'd be totally put out with her after that stunt she pulled in Virginia!"

Matheson looked at his mother and couldn't believe that she was jealous.

"Ma, Aunt Hannah and I are getting along now. We worked everything out in Virginia. We agreed to let bygones be bygones and we are starting off with a clean slate. I found out that she was my secret pal." He put his arm around his mother's shoulder. "All this time she was loving me and I didn't even know it."

Emily rolled her eyes. How could he be so forgiving so quickly!

"Is that why she's suddenly so sweet? Is this why she changed her hair and started wearing stylish clothes?"Emily accused. "I hardly recognized her when she arrived today!"

"I made a few suggestions" Matheson replied. "She's not so bad-"

"She came down to Virginia and tried to interrupt your vacation!" Emily snapped. "She's an old shrew and you rewarded her by buying her a new wardrobe and giving her a makeover! What's wrong with you?"

She looked at Matheson's surprised face. "Yeah, Billy told me all about it, but I didn't believe it until I saw the two of you just now!"

"Ma, what's the problem" Matheson asked. "I thought you'd be happy that she's being nice. The two of you aren't at each other's throats! She's being nice and not nasty. She's making an effort to change her ways. You should be happy!"

Emily knew that he was right, but somehow all of this didn't sit well with her.

"She's just trying to steal you from me!" she hissed. "She's trying to pay me back for marrying your father!"

Matheson rolled his eyes. His mother was being dramatic.

"No wonder she kept being my pal a secret. Will you give it a rest and bury the hatchet please! Aunt Hannah is trying." he pleaded.

Just then Hannah walked into the kitchen and Emily walked over to her pointing her finger in her face.

"I know what you're up to!" she snapped. "You're trying to steal my Matheson!"

Hannah laughed in disbelief. "I believe that Val already has him, Emily. I can't steal him!"

Matheson put his arm around Hannah which only irritated Emily more. "Ma, be nice!"

Emily walked over to the refrigerator and angrily flung it open causing the eggs in the door to fly out when the door banged against the cabinet.

"Emily!" Hannah gasped walking over to the mess of the eggs that splattered on the floor and began wiping them up with a paper towel. "What in the world's gotten into you?"

"I know this game you're playing!" Emily snapped leaning down to Hannah who was now on her knees wiping up the eggs. "You're trying to steal Matheson's love for me. You've never cared about him before. Why are you two so chummy with him now?"

Hannah stood up and threw the soggy paper towels in the trash. "You're wrong, Emily. I've always loved Matheson and the reason why I was afraid to show it is because I was afraid you'd use that against me and by the way you're acting now, I can see I was right."

She turned and walked out of the kitchen and Emily watched her depart knowing that she had won temporarily. She knew that her behavior was unacceptable, but she couldn't help herself. She looked up at Matheson who was watching her.

"I don't trust her, Matheson. You shouldn't either!" Emily said even though she knew that he would not take her words seriously. "I don't think you should spend too much time with her. In fact, you should suggest that she return to Florida as soon as possible."

Matheson's expression was suddenly sad. "Ma, really. I can't believe you're acting this way. "

"Can't you see what's going on?" Emily said walking over to him. She knew that Matheson had this 'one big happy family' attitude and she wasn't helping matters with her attitude towards Hannah, but she didn't trust her one bit!

"All I see is your bad behavior. Aunt Hannah is making an effort to change. This feud between the two of you has to stop! Aunt Hannah is making and effort, now I expect you to do the same."

"I am your mother! You don't tell me what to do!" Emily hissed. "You don't know how she really is. She did everything in her power to keep your father and I apart. I was glad that she hardly ever came around and now since the two of you are so chummy, she'll be up here all the time! She needs to get a life! She needs to find a man and leave you alone!"

Matheson stared at his mother's angry expression a moment. "You actually like fighting, don't you? You like keeping this thing between the two of you going. You don't want it to end!" He shook his head and turned to walk out of the kitchen. "Really Ma, I'm so disappointed."

Emily watched him leave not knowing what to say or what to do. Matheson was her only child. She couldn't lose him to Hannah! She began to pace back and forth trying to figure out what just happened between her and her son.