Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

The Best Laid Plans

William Sr. read the report and tossed it on the table in total disgust. There was absolutely nothing in there that he could use to separate Matheson from that black girl. If he didn't know better, he'd swear that she was some sort of saint. Browne had always been able to dig up something when he needed him to. He couldn't believe that he had failed so miserably!

"Is this the best you could do?" he snapped looking at Browne whom he had used often for such tasks. Private Investigating after all, was his specialty. Usually he didn't have any problem digging up a little dirt.

The tall balding man looked at William Sr., his face serious. How could he make William Hendricks understand that not everyone had a closet full of skeletons.

"I'm sorry, sir. There's not much on the girl. She kept pretty much to herself before she got involved with your grandson. She only dated occasionally and it appears that her claims of being a virgin must have been true because we could find no one who would admit to being with her outside of a friendly date." Browne picked up the report that William Sr. had thrown down.

"The only thing that I can say for sure is that apparently she is estranged from her father's family and her grandmother Mavis is the only relative that she has on her mother's side that she's close to." He put the papers in the folder he was holding. "I will continue to monitor the situation."

William Sr. crossed his arms still unable to accept defeat. "Were you able to find out anything about the grandmother then that could be useful?"

"She's worked for your daughter in law's family all her life. In fact she was born in the same house your daughter in law was raised in." Browne continued to shuffle the papers in his hand. "One interesting thing though, I talked to Melford Jenkins whose father used to do grounds keeping work for the Matheson family. He's an old guy…about eighty I think."

Browne watched at William Sr. seemed to perk up. "I remember Melford Jenkins. He did grounds work for me also. Did he know anything that could be useful?"

"He says that Mavis' father was white. He was some big time politician" Browne looked at his notes. "I asked him if he knew who he was and I had to bribe him a bit. It seems that Langston Oxford came almost every Christmas holiday and spent it with the Mathesons. He and Emily Matheson's father had some sort of side business going on. He apparently was also having an affair with Mavis mother."

William Sr. leaned forward in his chair and scratched his chin. "Are you sure that Melford said that the man's name was Oxford?"

"Quite sure" Browne replied.

"Very interesting indeed" William Sr. replied. "I just so happen to know the Oxfords. Langston is dead of course, but he was married and had a child. His son is a Senator in fact. My, my. No wonder Mavis didn't need my money! That family most likely has been paying her way for years trying to keep her in the closet so to speak! I'm sure they wouldn't want people to know of the black sheep in the family and I mean that literally. I wonder if her granddaughter knows anything about them. The Oxfords are heavy into politics. They are WASP's to the core and very conservative."

"I don't how that would help you separate Valysia Chamberlayne from your grandson" Browne replied.

"It won't…but it could be a distraction if I play my cards right…buy me some time" William replied in deep thought.

He handed Browne an envelope. "Find out all you can about this Oxford connection. Maybe it's about time that Mavis learns about her father's family." He chuckled to himself. "This thing could cause a change in plans."

                                                 ((***))

Hannah walked around the mall not really shopping but she needed some time alone to think. She didn't want to come between Matheson and his mother. She liked the close relationship she and Matheson had developed and she didn't want anything changing that.

Things had even improved between her and Gregory. Only Emily seemed to despise her efforts to make peace and she wasn't sure what she was going to do about it. Why couldn't Emily just be happy that things were better? After all, her mother and father still doted on her. Emily didn't know what it was like to be an outsider in your own family. She had always been the one to have everyone's attention. What was wrong with sharing a little bit of that?

She wandered into one of the stores and immediately realized that it was a clothing store that catered to teens. She walked around looking at all of the glittery form fitting outfits. She saw a couple of girls with their friends and some with their mothers as they looked at the clothes. She was about to turn around and walk out of the store when she saw a young lady about fourteen or fifteen whose eyes were red from crying. Hannah noticed that she held a glittery belt in her hand and she was rolling it up and looking around. Hannah wondered if she was about to steal it and didn't know why she was compelled to go over to her, but she did.

"Hi" she said giving the girl a quick smile. "That's a nice belt you have. Are you going to purchase it?"

The girl looked at her surprised. "I was just looking at it" she replied in a heavy Latino accent.

"Where are you from?" Hannah asked taking the belt from her and examining it.

"I...I wasn't going to steal it" the girl protested. She looked away avoiding Hannah's eyes and Hannah knew that she was lying.

"It's not worth it." Hannah replied looking at the price tag. "It's only $9.99. You are worth much more than that, you know."

The girl frowned up at her. "What's it to you? Why do you care?"

"You've been crying" Hannah observed. "You wouldn't want to do anything hasty now, would you?"

"You don't know me!" the girl snapped tossing back her thick mane of waist length dark curls.

"No I don't." Hannah replied. "I'm Hannah Hendricks. What's your name?" She extended her hand and the girl looked at it suspiciously.

"You work in this store?" she asked eying Hannah.

"No, I was just shopping" Hannah replied putting the belt back on the rack.

"For your daughter?" the girl asked.

"I don't have a daughter." Hannah said. "I just wandered in here."

"You're too old for this stuff" the girl replied tartly.

"Oh really?" Hannah said laughing. "What about the belt? I could wear that with jeans."

"I suppose" the girl admitted. She rubbed her hands on the worn jeans she wore which were too short and too tight. Her long thick curly hair was loose and almost reached her waist.

Hannah stared at her a moment. "So, what's your name?"

"Amaya" she said looking around. "I have to go."

"Are you going to tell me why you were crying and contemplating stealing a belt?" Hannah asked.

Amaya turned to her surprised. "How do you know I was going to steal it? I told you that I was just looking at it!"

Hannah followed her out of the store and watched as she looked around as if looking for someone.

"You were going to steal it" Hannah replied knowingly. "That was a foolish idea. Nothing is worth throwing your life away."

Amaya looked at her clearly upset at Hannah's insight. "You don't know nothing about me, lady!"

Hannah watched as she ran off before she could respond and shrugged her shoulders. Well maybe she stopped the girl from throwing away a future. She decided leave the mall and return to the car she had rented. Her plan had been to walk around the mall and think about her own situation, not help some sticky fingered teen. She walked over to a nearby bench and decided to sit down for a moment.

Just then a security officer walked up to her. She looked up surprised when he stopped and stood in front of her.

"Excuse me, ma'am. May I have a word with you?"

Hannah looked up at him wondering what he wanted. "What's this all about, officer?"

"Who was that young lady you were conversing with earlier?" the officer asked fingering the handcuffs that were attached to his belt. Hannah looked at him and surmised that he couldn't be any older than Matheson. He had a young looking face with dirty blonde hair.

"I don't know her" Hannah replied.

"But you were talking to her" the officer insisted.

"Yes, because I thought she might have been contemplating stealing something. I tried to talk to her. Is that a problem?" Hannah crossed her arms across her chest.

"The store had been watching her. She's been in Body Central before and the employees believe that she stole something once before, but were not able to catch her. If she is your friend, you need to warn her not to come back into the store or there will be trouble and if you are hiding something, then you could be charged as her accomplice."

Hannah raised her eyebrow. "A person is innocent until proven guilty, sir. I told you that I don't know her."

The officer looked unconvinced. "Do you always try to save young hooligans that you don't know?"

Hannah stood up drew herself up clearly irritated. "I don't believe that I like your tone, sir. Is there anything else? I've told you all I know. I know my rights!"

The officer stepped back from her. "No, that is all. "

Hannah walked off in a huff, irritated by the officer's attitude. Just as she was about to exit the mall, she heard someone yelling.

"That's her! That's the lady!"

Hannah turned around and saw Amaya with a stocky man who was only about five feet four inches. She raised her eyebrow as the man walked over to her with Amaya in tow. Amaya looked afraid and the man was clearly angry.

"Madam, I understand that you were bothering my daughter!" he hissed. "She said you accused her of stealing. She told me she ran off before you could try anything. For all I know you could be on the list of pedophiles in the area! Do you always accost young girls who are shopping?"

Hannah cleared her throat surprised at his accusation. "I beg your pardon?"

"You heard me" the man snapped.

Hannah looked at Amaya who was grinning wickedly behind the man's back and then turned her attention back to the man.

"Your daughter was about to steal from that store and I stopped her. In fact the security guard came out and questioned me because they saw me talking to her. They wanted to know who she was because they believe that she may have stolen something before. If you don't believe me, I'd be happy to escort you back to the store and you can talk to the manager and security there. " She then looked at Amaya. "I am sure that the security in the store has video that we can review."

Suddenly the grin left Amaya's face, replaced by fear at what Hannah had said. "Papa, that's ok. Let's go."

The man looked at her and then at Hannah trying to figure out what was really going on. He yanked his daughter closer to him forcing her to look him in the eyes.

"Is this true, Amaya? Have you been stealing?" His grip tightened on her arm.

"No Papa!" she shrieked and quickly jerked away from him.

He turned to Hannah. "Is there really a video?"

"I don't know" Hannah replied. "But they are watching her. It would be best if she didn't go back in that store again."

Hannah watched as the father began speaking to Amaya rapidly in Spanish. He was a short man, but she could tell that he knew how to wield his authority. Amaya responded in Spanish and began to cry. He then turned back to Hannah.

"I appreciate you keeping my daughter from doing something foolish. She has admitted to me that she has not stolen anything, but came close on several occasions. I can see now that she cannot be trusted to shop on her own, therefore she will not be allowed to shop unless I accompany her."

He turned to Amaya and handed her his keys. "Go wait in the truck." He snapped. He then turned back to Hannah.

"What about her mother?" Hannah asked.

"Her mother is deceased, but that's no excuse!" He turned and said something again to his daughter in Spanish and she hurried out the mall with the keys to the truck in her hands.

"Thank you again…Mrs…" He said looking at Hannah extending his hand.

"Hannah Hendricks" Hannah replied.

"Emilio Juarez" the man said shaking her hand briefly. "Please forgive me for my previous behavior. I realize now that you were only trying to help."

Hannah felt the electricity at Emilo's touch and instantly blushed. His handshake was warm and firm. He had the same curly hair that his daughter possessed, but it was cut close on the sides and in the back leaving about an inch on top. His black hair had flecks of gray, but his face was smooth and handsome. He didn't look a day over forty five. He was stocky and muscular and Hannah could tell that he was used to hard work.

"Mr. Juarez…" Hannah said releasing her hold on his hand. "There's nothing to forgive. I can understand why you'd be upset. You seem to have things under control so I'll be leaving now."

"Very well…Mrs. Hendricks-"

"It's Miss" Hannah corrected him. She tried not to blush under his stare as he looked up at her.

"Miss Hendricks" Emilio replied. "I appreciate your concern for my daughter."

Hannah felt her heart pound hard as if it would jump out of her chest. She looked into his warm brown eyes and her eyes wandered to his neckline where he wore a silver chain with a cross. His checkered cotton shirt was open at the collar revealing a hint of the abundance of chest hair that he must possess and looking at made her hot. She looked back to his eyes and found him watching her which caused her to blush again.

"You're welcome Mr. Juarez" she said looking away.

"Emilio" he said with his thick Latino accent which made her hotter still.

"Yes…uh, Emilio"

He then pulled out a card and handed it to her.

"If you ever need any landscaping work done, please keep me in mind." Emilio said grinning. "Goodbye and thank you again."

Hannah's mouth was dry as she stared at the card and watched him exit the mall. She didn't know what had gotten into her. No man had ever affected her like Emilio had. His voice…his eyes… She quickly chastised herself bringing herself back to reality. The man was much too young for her! What was her problem?

She then walked out to the car and tried not to think anymore about Emilio Juarez. She shook her head as she thought about her plans of a peaceful time at the mall to think. So much for that!

                                            ((***))

Matheson drove to his parent's house after picking up Val so that she could meet his Grandmother. His father had delayed their meeting stating that his mother needed to be "prepared" as he called it.

His grandfather had made every move possible to try to convince him not to bring Val over stating that his wife's medical condition would be compromised with the news. Matheson had wanted Val to come over the very first day that his Grandmother had arrived, but somehow he had allowed his father and grandfather convince him to wait. Well he wasn't going to wait another minute longer.

He pulled up into the driveway and turned to Val.

"I'm sorry for allowing my father and grandfather to delay you meeting my grandmother" he said leaning over and kissing her.

Val laughed. "Maybe they hoped that you would change your mind…at least I believe that's what your Grandfather hopes. I think your father has accepted the fact that this marriage is going to happen."

Matheson got out and opened her car door. "Well I certainly hope so!"

They walked into the house and Matheson took her hand and led her into the den. His Grandmother was sitting on the sofa with her feet elevated on a hassock.

"Hi Grandma" he said walking over to her. His grandmother looked up surprised.

"Matheson, my boy!" she said pulling him down to her and kissing his cheek. "I wasn't expecting you until dinner time. Your mother's gone out to the store and your father is still at the office."

"Where's Gramps?" he inquired looking around.

"Out taking care of some sort of business." His Grandmother replied. She then looked at Val and then at Matheson's hand holding hers. Her hair was completely white and she wore it in a long french braid.

"So…who is this young lady, Matheson" she asked.

"This is Valysia…my fiancé." He replied.

His grandmother's mouth fell open and stared from Val to Matheson.

"Your fiancé?" she asked clearly shocked.

"Yes Grandmother, I love her" Matheson replied putting his arm around Val.

"Hello" Val said shyly extending her hand.

"Well my goodness!" his Grandmother said taking her hand. "This is a surprise. You're black right? I mean are you black or are you an African?"

Val tried not to laugh. "I'm black, Mrs. Hendricks. Born right here in the good old U S of A."

"I see" Grandma Hendricks replied and then turned to Matheson.

"How did the two of you meet?"

"She's Mavis' granddaughter" Matheson replied.

His grandmother looked surprised. "Mavis…why does that name sound familiar?"

"Mavis is the woman who raised my mother." Matheson said. "You remember her, don't you Grandma?"

His grandmother studied him a moment. "Yes, Matheson. Now I remember her. "She turned and looked at Val. "I don't know what to say…so I guess all I can say is congratulations."

Matheson laughed. "Gramps had a whole lot more to say than that! He's already told me that he doesn't want any pickaninny grandchildren. He doesn't approve of my marriage and has told me so on several occasions."

"You know your grandfather. He doesn't know how to be diplomatic." She replied still staring at Val.

Matheson sat down beside his grandmother and pointed to a chair for Val to sit. He turned to his grandmother and took her hand.

"But you know how to be diplomatic even though you feel the same way that he does, right?" Matheson said looking at Val. "I love her, Grandma. I just want you two to understand that and be happy for me."

"Love may not be enough in a mean and cold world, Matheson. You're fortunate because you have a good living and an inheritance. I have never seriously gone against anything that your grandfather has made a decision on. Don't expect me to change now." She looked at Valysia. "What does your family have to say about this?"

"My Grandmother is happy for me. She's the only one that matters. The rest of my father's family knows but their opinion is unimportant."

"Family is always important" Grandma Hendricks replied. "I'm an old lady. I know times are changing as they say…but still. You should think seriously about this before you make such a move, Matheson."

Matheson stood up. "I have thought about it, Grandma. My mind is made up."

"I'm not surprised. You're just like your Grandfather when you make your mind up about something, there's no changing it." She sighed and sat up straight on the sofa. "What are you going to do about your grandfather?"

Matheson could see the worried look on her face and put his arm around her. "I'm not going to do anything. He'll just have to accept it."

Grandma Hendricks shook her head. "One thing I know about William Hendricks, he's not going to just accept it. He'll fight and finagle until he gets his way!"

"I don't think he'll get his way!" Matheson replied. "I can be just as stubborn."

Grandma Hendricks sighed and sat back down. "That's just what I was afraid of."

Grandma Hendricks