Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Matheson and Gregory discuss options.  Hannah speaks her mind.  Tameka takes matters in her own hands!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Disaster

Matheson looked at himself in the mirror and smiled. Tomorrow he would wake up a married man; today would be his last day waking up alone. He had often wondered how it would feel to be married. Right now, he was happy - happier than he'd ever been.

He had not slept with Val since they had gotten back together. Well, technically, they had slept together- and she had blown his mind with her demonstration of her love for him that night- but they had not been together since then, and he was more than ready for their honeymoon. He was well rested and ready for her. He had several surprises in store for her on their wedding night.

Val had been busy with last minute preparations, and he had turned the store over to Gary the previous night when his shift ended. Gary would be in charge until they returned from their honeymoon. He was confident that Gary could handle things, but his father would be on standby if he needed him. Val had expressed a desire to go to Hawaii for their honeymoon, and he had taken care of everything. Nothing was too good for her. He had arranged for a two week stay.

Today, however, he had some unfinished business to deal with. He had planned to talk to Tameka again to see if he could learn more about what happened to her, but he had delayed doing so in order to give her time to recover from this latest trauma. He didn't know what her plans were for the day, however he speculated that most likely, she would be home resting.

He had already made up his mind to go over to her apartment and talk to her first thing this morning. His grandparents were staying with his parents, so he had decided to go over there for a friendly visit. He didn't want to upset his grandmother, but he had already made up his mind that he would try to talk to his grandfather and find out what was really going on.

Matheson was putting on his shoes when he heard the doorbell. He looked at his watch and, seeing that it was a little after 9 am, he wondered who would be visiting him at this time of morning. Val had a key, so she wouldn't be ringing the bell.

He ran downstairs whistling, skipped over the last three steps, and landed loudly at the bottom. Looking through the peephole, he was surprised to see his father and quickly opened the door.

"Pop, what are you doing here this time of morning?" he asked, surprised.

His father laughed. "I can see that the groom is mighty chipper, this morning," He replied, walking into the apartment. He looked at Matheson, giving him the once-over. He was happy to find that his son appeared to be well rested. "I guess I can see that you're ready for tomorrow, but are you ready for your mother's rehearsal dinner tonight?"

"I don't understand why she's having this dinner," Matheson replied, shaking his head. He shut the door and they walked into the living room. Matheson pointed to the sofa for his father to sit down. "Val and I decided on just a simple ceremony, with no brides maids, or any of that. She wanted just the two of us, and you, Mom and Mavis, as we stand before Reverend Davis. What is the reason for this dinner? We explained all this to Ma ahead of time!"

Gregory laughed. "Does your mother need a reason, son?"

"I guess not," Matheson agreed. He sat down across from his father. "However, I know that you didn't just come over here for that. So, what's up?"

Gregory sighed, and didn't reply immediately. This was the day before his son was about to be married, and he had wrestled with coming over to his apartment for days now, but he had to get it off of his chest. He had changed his mind about telling Emily about the conversation he'd had with his father. He knew how she could be, and he didn't need a disaster on his hands.

After weighing his options, he had decided to talk to Matheson. He didn't want to keep quiet, only to have something else end up happening. Matheson had called him and told him about Tameka being kidnapped, and that had been the last straw. He didn't know how much his father was involved in all this, but he felt that he should share what he did know with his son.

"Son, have you heard anymore about what happened to Val and her cousin the night that her drink was spiked?" Gregory asked.

Of all things, Matheson was not prepared for that question from his father. Could his father know something?

"Not really," Matheson replied. He then explained to his father that he had been about to go over to Tameka's to talk to her, when Gregory had arrived. She was now home from the hospital, and he wanted to check on her, as well as try to get her to talk to him.

"This is crazy! First the club, and now this kidnapping!" Gregory snapped. "Do the police have any leads?"

"They are still investigating," Matheson replied. He studied his father a moment, noting that he appeared to be highly agitated. "Why did you come over here, Pop? Do you know something about all this?"

"I believe your grandfather is involved," Gregory replied. "I think he wants to try to stop you from marrying Val. I hadn't planned on dumping this on you, in fact I had planned on talking to your mother about it. However, you know how your mother can be, and I didn't want a full blown catastrophe to occur right before your wedding… so I kept quiet, especially after Hannah and her new beau turned up-"

"What?" Matheson asked, surprised. "Aunt Hannah has a boyfriend?"

"Yes, but that's another story," Gregory replied. " I don't know what to do about Papa."

"Did he actually admit to you that he had something to do with what happened, or are you just speculating?" Matheson asked.

"He told me- in so many words -that he ‘did what he had to do to stop the wedding.’ He said that 'extreme circumstances called for extreme actions,' or something like that. I was totally shocked. He also said that he didn't understand why you'd stay with Val, when you knew that she had cheated. How could he know that, unless he was somehow involved?"

He stood up and walked over to Matheson, whose face was a mask of barely-controlled rage. He knew that his son might take matters into his own hands, and he wanted the two of them to reason this thing out.

"Son, I came over here to talk to you, so that the two of us could decide how to go forward with this information. He is my father, even though I don't agree with what he's done. I have to consider everything-"

"What's there to consider?" Matheson snarled angrily. "Tameka was raped, Pop! Gramps was behind it! I had my suspicions that he was involved somehow before you even came over here, but I wasn't sure!

“When Tameka was in the hospital, she was terrified when they told her that Mr. Hendricks was there to see her. When she found out that I was the one coming to see her, she was relieved; I wondered which 'Mr. Hendricks' she was afraid of. I couldn't believe that you would do anything to harm her; I felt that you had accepted our marriage. That only leaves Gramps! He must have been the one to do all this to her! I just can't understand why; it doesn't make sense."

"Perhaps both of us should talk to her now," Gregory replied. "Maybe she can fill in some of the blanks."

"He's going to pay for this, Pop," Matheson snapped angrily. "I don't care that he's my grandfather; he's going to pay."

"Matheson, please. I know you're upset," Gregory replied. "I have to think about Mama-"

"Pop, he's got to pay for what he did," Matheson replied, interrupting him. "I don't know just yet what that will be, but he's going to pay." Matheson got up and opened the door. "Let's go. We have some unfinished business to take care of."

"Where are we going?" Gregory asked, following him. "We should call Detective Grant before we go to the police station."

"We're not going to the police, just yet. We're going to talk to Tameka!" Matheson replied as he led his father out of the apartment.

((***))

Hannah headed back to her room at the Omni after finishing her morning workout. Exercise invigorated her, and she wanted to be at her best for the dinner that night. Gregory had insisted that she bring Emilio over that night for dinner.

Hannah would have protested, but Emily had insisted that Matheson would want to meet Emilio, so she had reluctantly agreed. She wasn't sure that she was ready to spring him on her entire family- but then again, hadn't he done the same thing to her at dinner in the Chinese restaurant? Fair was fair.

She headed for the elevator, and was startled when a hand came between the doors, stopping them from closing. She was shocked to see her father get on the elevator.

"Good morning, Hannah." He said, looking at her.

"Papa, what are you doing here? I thought you were staying with Gregory and Emily," she said, pushing the button to her floor.

"I am. I came here to see you," William replied.

"Me?" Hannah responded. "Why didn't you call? Is Mama alright?"

"Your mother is fine," He said, as the doors opened on her floor.

Hannah walked to her room, and he followed her in. What could this be about? She directed him to a chair, then sat down across from him.

"Alright, Papa," She said, eying him. "What brings you here so early in the morning?"

"I hear you're seeing some man now," Her father said, looking around. "Gregory and Emily told me that they met him at dinner the other night."

"Well, yes. I am seeing someone," She replied cautiously.

"Gregory said his name was Jose- or Julio -or something. What is he, a Mexican?" William snapped.

"Papa!" Hannah replied angrily. "His name is Emilio, and he's from Argentina!"

"Hell, Argentina, Mexico, whatever! He's a foreigner! What the hell were you thinking, Hannah? Aren't there any American men you can date? He probably wants to swindle you out your money and bring all of his other Mexican relatives over here!"

"Papa, it's not like that," Hannah replied. "Why can't you be happy for me?"

"Happy? Have you lost your mind, girl? First, Matheson hooks up with this…this colored girl, and now you go and get yourself an Argentina wetback! Our family is not the United Nations!"

"Papa, that's enough!" Hannah replied, standing. "Emilio is a hardworking man, and he's an American citizen."

William laughed mockingly. "Sure he is…and I'm a half-breed Hebe!"

"Papa, really!" Hannah snapped. "Why are you so upset? I'm sixty years old, for god’s sake! You ought to be happy for me!"

William grunted. "What have I to be happy about, Hannah? I tried to do right by you; I tried to introduce you to decent men, and you would have none of it! I guess white men aren't good enough for you!"

"You were paying those men to take me out, remember?" Hannah snapped angrily. "I didn't want that!"

"What's the difference, now?" her father growled. "You're seeing this foreigner, and he knows you have money. I'm sure it still adds up the same way!"

"Are you saying that I can't get a man, unless I pay him, Papa?" Hannah hissed. "That's really what you mean, isn't it?"

Her father looked at her, giving her the once-over. "Of course you've fixed yourself up now, and that's an improvement," William replied, not noticing his daughter's distress. "All I'm saying is that you need to be careful. Most men want a young girl- not someone your age, Hannah -unless they're eighty! I doubt that's the case, here. You need to be realistic; you're too old to be acting so foolish!"

"Foolish?" Hannah said, choking back tears. "Is it foolish to fall in love, Papa? Is it foolish to enjoy a man's attentions? Is it foolish not to want to be alone?"

"Hannah, really," Her father said, waving a dismissive hand at her. "You've never needed anybody! You're hard as nails, and strong-willed. You got that from me! You were always independent, even if you were always a little on the shy side. That's why you never dated! What's really going on with you; a midlife crisis, perhaps?"

Hannah stared at her father. What did he think she was, a zombie with no feelings? Did he and Billy really think that she didn't need anybody, as she had often heard them say? Did Gregory feel the same way? She quickly stood up, filled with rage at her own father's perception of her.

"Papa, I am not having a midlife crisis. I'm having a wonderful, glorious love affair with Emilio." She looked at him, her face hard. "You all think that I don't need anyone, do you? Well I’ve got news for all of you: I am a woman! I need love, just like anybody else. I need attention, just like other people. You and Mama and Billy could never see that. Not a one of you paid the slightest bit of attention to me after the age of ten, and even before that, I had to share the little attention I did receive with Billy.

“No one saw the real pain I was carrying around- no one but Matheson! Matheson was the only one who really cared enough about me to help me see myself as I really am, and I almost lost that! I don't know how much longer I have here on this earth, Papa, but I'm going to live! I'm going to love, and I'm going to throw you out of my room, right now!"

She marched over to the door and opened it. "Get out, Papa!" she hissed.

William looked at her in disbelief. Why was she getting upset, when he was just looking out for her best interests? "Hannah, you're getting yourself riled up for what? You don't know anything about this Julio you're professing to love."

"Get out Papa!" she shrieked. "His name is Emilio Juarez!"

He stared at her a moment, shaking his head, and then walked out of the door. She slammed it hard behind him.

((***))

Tameka sat on the bed looking at her hand, which was shaking uncontrollably. She had to get herself together. She had taken a few pills in hopes of calming herself down, however it didn’t appear to be working. Maybe she would beg off from the wedding, tomorrow. After all, she had a perfectly legitimate excuse, considering what she had been through. She did not want to face William Hendricks, and she knew that he'd be there.

She took the sleeping pills out of the cabinet and quickly downed a few. What did she have to live for? Her grandmother hated her, her mother had left her, and there was no one who really cared for her right now…except Val. Once she found out what Tameka had done, she knew that Val would cut her off and she wouldn't have anyone.

She stared in the mirror at her reflection. Dark circles were under her eyes, due to lack of sleep. She had not slept well since the rape, and it had taken a toll on her. Val had told her once, when they were young, that she was lucky to be so beautiful; that she wished that she was light, like Tameka, with long, pretty hair. Tameka had never thought herself lucky or pretty. If only she could have been strong, like Val. If only she had been smart like her cousin, or had someone that cared about her. But that didn't matter, now. She felt that she had nothing to look forward to.

She thought back to the night that she’d approached Val about going to the club. If only Val had said no to her; had blown her off that fateful night, like she had in the past. Tameka wished that she hadn't listened to William Hendricks. He knew about all the debt she was in. He knew that she was about to lose her car and apartment. She didn't know how he knew so much, but he had used what he knew to gain what he wanted. She wished, now, that she had let them repossess the car and put her out of the apartment. Living with her grandmother again would not have been as bad as the pickle she was in now.

She glared at her reflection, and was filled with self loathing. "You're nothing but the piece of trash Nana always said you were," she said aloud to her reflection. Her reflection grimaced back at her.

Just then there was a knock on the door, and she wondered who it could be. She put on a robe before heading to the door to look out.

"Who is it?" she asked, trying to calm the nervousness in her voice.

"It's Matheson."

Matheson! Why was he coming over, the day before his wedding? She opened the door, with the chain still secure, and peeped out. Matheson was standing there with another man.

"Tameka, open the door. We need to talk," he said, looking at her.

She opened the door and stepped back as he and the other man stepped into the apartment.

"What do you want, Matheson?" she asked, leading them into the living room.

"This is my father, Gregory Hendricks." Matheson said, nodding towards his father as they both sat down. He noticed that Tameka was shaking.

"Are you alright?" Matheson asked, watching her. "You're shaking like a leaf!"

Tameka nodded and sat down across from him. She wished that she had a joint; maybe that would calm her nerves.

"Tameka, do know my father?" Gregory asked. He watched as her head snapped to attention before she looked away, unable to meet his gaze.

Tameka cleared her throat and picked at a string on her robe. "Why would you think that I know your father?"

"Because I can tell that you're hiding something," Matheson replied, pulling her to her feet. "My father and I know for a fact that Gramps had something to do with what happened to you and Val. I need you to tell what you know. You were terrified in the hospital when Detective Grant told you that Mr. Hendricks was visiting you, and then you were relieved when you found out it was me. Come clean Tameka."

Tameka looked from one to another. She found herself standing between the two of them and she was unsure what to do.

"He'll kill me," she whispered finally, her eyes glued to the carpet.

"Who? My father?" Gregory asked, surprised. He grabbed her arm, as she seemed unsteady on her feet. She was still shaking, and it seemed that her knees were about to buckle.

Tameka jumped back, her face filled with fear. "I-I think you'd better leave."

"Tameka, you have to tell us what's going on," Matheson said, grabbing her arm again. "Did my grandfather threaten you?"

Tameka stared at them and didn't reply. She was still shaking, and suddenly began to cry. She couldn't tell them! He would kill her for sure!

"Tameka, we can help you," Gregory said, pleading. "You have to trust somebody."

She looked at Gregory. "You look like him; how can I trust you?" She then looked at Matheson. "He's your family, how can I trust you?”

She looked away, her voice rising an octave. "It's all my fault and I know I have to pay for what I did, but how I pay is my decision, not his."

"What are you talking about?" Matheson snapped. "Just tell us what's going on!"

She snatched her arm from him and ran into the bedroom. She returned with a letter in her hand. "Here! It's all in here. I was going to leave it for Val, but you two knocked on my door. I'm not going to let him do it; I'm going to do it myself!" she said, sobbing. She threw the letter at them and it fell to the floor.

"Tameka, you're hysterical!" Matheson said, picking up the letter.

She didn't reply, but turned and ran into the bathroom, slamming the door. "Get out and leave me alone!" she yelled from the other side of the door.

The envelope was sealed with a piece of tape; Matheson stared at it, and then back at the bathroom door.

"What did she mean?" Gregory asked, puzzled. "What's she going to do?"

"Maybe the letter will explain," Matheson replied, opening it.

Dear Val:
I am so sorry for all I put you through. It didn't seem like such a bad idea at the time. He said he wanted to help me with my financial situation and all I had to do was to get you to the club. He didn't want you marrying Matheson and said that he just wanted a few pictures of you in a compromising position so that Matheson would leave you.

I knew it was selfish of me, but I was desperate. I was about to lose everything. I know that it's no excuse and know that you will hate me after reading this. I guess I deserved what I got both times.

I've got to end this thing before he does. He already tried to kill me once, and I'm not giving him a second opportunity. Go and live your Cinderella dream. It was always meant for you to be happy. Watch out for him though. I don't know what else he may try to do once you two get married. Matheson seems nice, but his family is evil, so be careful.

Tameka

Matheson looked up from the letter to his father, who was reading it over his shoulder.

"She didn't actually say it was Gramps," he said, obviously puzzled. "But who else could she be talking about?"

"Maybe she's gone over the edge," Gregory speculated. "Let's try to talk some sense into her. This letter just raises more questions!"

They knocked on the bathroom door, but didn't receive a response. Gregory looked at his son, and Matheson banged harder on the door.

"Tameka?" Matheson yelled loudly. "Open this door!"

He turned the knob when she didn't respond, and when the door only opened an inch, he realized that something was blocking it. He shoved himself against it, and saw that Tameka was on the floor.

Matheson pushed the door open enough to squeeze through, and found Tameka face-down on the floor. An empty pill bottle was beside her, and she was unconscious.

"Pop, call 911!" he yelled over his shoulder. He sat Tameka up and opened her mouth to see if she had swallowed all of the pills. Finding nothing, he picked up the bottle and put it on the sink. He then picked her up in his arms.

"Why did you do this, Meka?" he whispered, totally shocked and choking on his words. He put her on the bed and saw that his father was on the phone. He quickly got a wet washcloth to wipe her face. As he left the bathroom, he took the pill bottle off of the sink, putting it in his pocket to give to the doctor that would treat her.

"The ambulance is on its way," Gregory said, looking at her. He wondered if she would make it. Her skin was pale, and he could hardly see the rise and fall of her chest.

"She's barely breathing," Matheson replied, checking her pulse. He could hear the ambulance in the distance. He looked at Tameka, wondering how he was going to tell Val about this latest development, on the eve of their wedding day.

((***))