Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The family gets together on the eve of the wedding for dinner!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Dinner and Destiny

 

 Matheson dressed in the black suit and white bow tie and shirt that his mother had instructed him to wear, still thinking about his interaction with his grandfather.  He knew that things had gotten way out of hand; however, his grandfather had to learn a lesson.  There were some people who would not listen to reason and they had to be shown that he was serious.  He felt pretty sure that his grandfather now understood him quite well.

 

He smiled to himself.  His mother had called him worried about what was going on and he had assured her that everything was fine.  He looked at his watch.  He needed to leave the apartment now in order to pick up Val on time.

 

He quickly drove to her apartment and he was pleasantly surprised when she came outside dressed in a shimmery navy blue dress that was low in the front and hugged her hips.  Matheson’s mouth began to water. It has been a while since they had been together, and he missed her.  Well she would be all his in another day and he tried to calm himself.

 

“You look beautiful” he said opening the door for her.  “If I didn’t think my mother would kick down the door of my apartment, I’d take you back there and have my way with you right now.” He leaned into the back of her neck and inhales her scent before giving her a quick kiss.

 

Val smiled.  “Well there’s always after dinner. Maybe I can work something out.”

 

It didn’t take him long to arrive at his parents home and they walked into the front door, knowing that the kitchen was most likely overrun with the hired help his mother had there.

 

Mavis and Langston were in the den with his father as well as his grandparents.  Matheson spoke and smiled and his grandfather wouldn’t meet his gaze.

 

“Your mother has gone all out” Gregory said shaking his head.  “I’m almost afraid to go in there and check on her.”

 

“Chicken!”  Matheson replied laughing.

 

“Cluck! Cluck!” Gregory answered.

 

“How are you doing, Mavis?”  Matheson asked grinning at her. He bent down and kissed her cheek.

 

“I’m fine Matheson.”  She turned to Val.  “Baby you look beautiful!”

 

“You certainly do!”  Langston agreed nodding.

 

“Thank you Langston”  Val replied.  “Thanks for bringing Grandma.”

 

“No problem”  he replied crossing his legs.  “I’m just happy to be included.”

 

“Val wouldn’t have it any other way” Mavis insisted.  “She’s beautiful on the inside as well as the outside!”

 

“Thanks, Grandma” Val replied. She looked at Matheson’s grandparents.

 

“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Hendricks” she said timidly.  “I’m glad that you could be here to help me and Matheson celebrate.”

 

Gramps glanced at her.  “Well I know that the boy really loves you, so I guess that’s all that matters.” He said finally.

 

“Well thank you Gramps” Matheson replied.

 

Just then Hannah walked in with her arm linked in a man’s who was obviously her date. Matheson raised his eyebrow as all eyes were on the two of them.

 

“Hello everyone, this is Emilio” she said staring defiantly at her father.  She walked over to Matheson. “This is my nephew and his bride to be” she said to Emilio who grinned at them.

 

“Hello” Emilio said smiling. “Congratulations. Your aunt has told me of her fondness for her favorite nephew.”

 

Val was taken aback.  Emilio was devilishly handsome and she was surprised when he took her hand and kissed it.  His voice was a smooth and deep and extremely sexy with his Hispanic accent.  Where did Hannah get this one from?

 

Hannah walked over to her mother holding Emilio’s hand.  “This is my mother.”

 

“Mrs. Hendricks.  It is a pleasure” Emilio murmured.  “I can see where your daughter gets her beauty.”

 

He kissed her hand and Matheson’s Grandmother blushed and giggled like a schoolgirl, already taken in by Emilio’s charm.

 

Matheson smiled. Oh this one was a smooth talker for sure! He knew that he had to be in order to win over his aunt! This was going to be an interesting dinner for sure!

 

Hannah watched as Emilio introduced himself to her father.  She had told him about the argument that she had with her father earlier, but Emilio seemed unfazed by it.  Her father seemed somewhat subdued, which surprised her.  She wondered what was up.

 

The doorbell rang and Matheson went to answer it.  It was his uncle Billy and his wife Felecia and he quickly led them into the den where the rest of the family was.  He then decided to go check on his mother and see how much longer dinner would be.

 

His mother was rushing around in a beautiful green evening dress.  Her red hair was piled high on her head and Matheson thought that she looked as if she was ready to go to the prom. 

 

“Ma, really” he said shaking his head.  “I don’t know why you demanded that everyone dress up for this.  It’s just a simple dinner.” He looked around the table that was set.

 

She had replaced the dining table with one that seated twenty people.  Luckily the room was big enough to allow it.  The table was lavishing set with the best of her crystal and place settings that belonged to her mother.    She had hired  several waiters to help serve the guests as well as a chef to prepare the food.

 

“Indulge me, Matheson” she said pointing to her cheek for him to kiss.  “I see you have on your suit and tie.  I didn’t demand that you wear a tux.  Be grateful for that!”

 

“I am” he replied chuckling.  He watched as one of the waiters came out of the kitchen carrying a tray with wine and another had a tray of food that they took into the den to serve the guests.

 

“Is everyone here?” she asked looking around and checking the place settings for the third time since he came into the room.  She had place cards on the table indicating where everyone was seated.

 

“We’re waiting on Val’s uncle. He was supposed to arrive in  a cab”  Matheson replied just as the doorbell rang again.  “Well that must be him.”

 

Emily quickly grabbed her son by the arm and pulled him aside. “What happened with Papa, Matheson.”  She whispered.  “He appeared to be quite shaken when he returned.”

 

“I introduced him to my little friend”  Matheson admitted sheepishly. “The one that belonged to you father.”

 

“You didn’t cut him, did you” she asked shocked.  “Papa used to love to cut people.”

 

“I nicked him a bit, but he’s fine.”  Matheson chuckled.

 

“That wasn’t very nice, Matheson”  she scolded. “Even though I understand your logic.”

 

“He had it coming”  Matheson replied.  “He tried to break up me and Val.  I’m not having that and I was tired of his meddling.”

 

Emily smiled.  “Well I’m glad that he came to his senses.”

 

“With the help of my little friend.”  Matheson replied firmly.

 

Emily looked around again.  “Well it’s time.  Go and get everyone and tell them dinner is served.”

 

“Where’s Dad?”  Matheson asked looking around.

 

“I made him change his tie.”  Emily said walking around the table and checking it again. “It had a spot on it.”

 

Matheson left the dining room and returned to the den which was now crowded.

 

“Dinner is served” he announced and everyone followed him to the dining room.

 

Matheson helped Mavis to her seat and then pulled out the chair for Val who was seated next to her grandmother. Langston sat next to Mavis and Matheson then sat down beside Val.

 

Emily stood at the head of the table beaming after everyone had been seated.

 

“Good evening, family” she said smiling.  “We are celebrating the union of my son Matheson to VaLysia whose grandmother has been a mother to me all my life!”  Her voice cracked with emotion.  “Now we are really going to be a family!  I can’t wait for grandbabies!”

 

Gregory laughed.  “Let’s get through the ceremony first, can we?”

 

“I am sure that everyone wants to give well wishes to the happy couple” Emily continued.  “So before we eat, we will go around the table and give everyone a chance to say something.”

 

Matheson listened intently as his Aunt Hannah started things off.

 

“I love you Matheson” she said warmly.  “You are the best nephew any woman could ask for.  I’m happy for you and VaLysia and I wish you all the best.”

 

“Thank you Aunt Hannah” Matheson replied.

 

“Well Matheson, my boy” Billy said.  “I am so happy for you.  You have found something that a lot of people are still searching for…your soul mate.  I wish you all the best.”

 

Matheson listened as good sentiments were offered up from around the table.  His grandfather sat there staring off into space until Gregory called his name.

 

“Alright Pop” Gregory said expectantly.  “Do you have something you wish to say?”

 

William Hendricks eyes went around the table.  What was wrong with these people?  Matheson was a lunatic that had almost killed him! They were now congratulating him on his foolish decision!  Imbeciles!

 

“I think this entire family has gone mad” Gramps snapped angrily. “Matheson is seriously unbalanced!  He tried to kill me today!” 

 

Everyone gasped in disbelief at Gramps outburst.

 

“As for my daughter, she has lowered herself and picked up some Mexican gigilo and I’m supposed to be happy about it?  I have nothing to be happy about tonight.” Gramps replied.  “Matheson may end my life tonight because I spoke my mind, but so be it.  At least I’ll go telling you all the truth!”

 

Jessica looked at her husband.  “Really William, must you be so dramatic?  This is a happy occasion.  Matheson is getting married and there’s nothing you can do about it. Don’t start making up stuff to get back at him just because he won’t do what you ask!”

 

William leaned on the table and fixed his gaze on Val.  “He’s crazy, you know.  He tried to kill me today because he’s so in love with you!  You had better watch out because he’ll probably be following you everywhere you go!  He’ll most likely accuse you of cheating every time you’re five minutes late coming home, and then he’ll put a knife to your throat too.”

 

Val gasped and looked at Matheson whose face had taken on a deadly expression.  She felt herself shudder.

 

“You know I’m telling the truth, girl”  he continued, pointing to Val.  “He’s mad I tell you, a lunatic in hiding!”

 

“Really, Pop.”  Gregory replied disgusted.  “I can’t believe that you’d make up these lies to try to cause trouble!”  He looked at Matheson.  “What do you have to say about his outrageous accusations, son?”

 

“What can I say?” Matheson replied,  still staring at Gramps. “Gramps lives in his world, and I live in mine!’

 

“Exactly!”  Gregory replied. “He’s gone over the deep end for sure!”

 

“Matheson’s right! Our father came to my room and threatened me!”  Hannah accused.  “I think Papa is losing his mind.  Must be old age.”

 

“You will be taken for every cent you’ve got!”  William snapped at Hannah before turning to Matheson.  “And you have ruined my family marrying this colored girl who is well beneath you!  There I’ve said it!  I’m an old man and I don’t have that much longer anyway, so go ahead and kill me, Matheson!”

 

Everyone around the table was staring at William as if he had lost his mind.

 

“Ma, I think we need to call someone” Gregory said looking at his mother. “Obviously Pop is not well.”

 

“I agree” Billy said.  “Maybe he needs some time to rest…in a quiet place.”

 

“You’re not putting me in a nuthouse!” William protested.  “I’m perfectly sane.  Tell them Jessica!”

 

Jessica looked at him confused.  “You have been behaving strangely lately, William” she confessed.  “Matheson is the most caring and gentle soul I have ever seen-“

 

“He had me fooled too!”  William insisted.  “He’s a murderer!  He’s insane, not me!”

 

“That’s enough.”  Billy said looking at Gregory.  “I know someone I can call.”

 

“Who are you going to call?”  William insisted.   “I’m not the one crazy, Matheson is!  He tried to stab me with a knife!”  He pointed to Val.  “He’ll probably try to kill you in your sleep, girl.”

 

Val gasped.  “I doubt that, Mr. Hendricks!”

 

“He’s worse than I thought.”  Hannah said to Gregory. “What should we do?” 

 

“I’ve called someone.”  Billy replied returning to the table.   He looked at his father.  “We’re going to eat together now, Papa…and you’re going to stay calm and enjoy your dinner, understand?”

 

“What are you talking about, Billy?” he snapped.  “Why won’t anyone listen to me?”

 

“Pop, you need to calm down.”  Gregory replied.  He looked at Emily.  “Let’s not let his outbursts ruin the evening.  Help is on the way.  Let’s eat.”

 

“There’s nothing wrong with me!”  William insisted looking at his wife.  “Tell them Jessica.”

 

“You have been acting quite strange, dear” Jessica admitted.  She looked at Gregory.  “You and Billy do what you feel is best.  I will cooperate in whatever you say.”

 

“Gramps” Matheson said fingering the dinner knife.  “You will behave, or I’ll have to escort you to your room until the help you need arrives.  I will even sit with you there, if necessary.”

 

The hidden meaning of Matheson’s words was clear to William Hendricks.

 

Gramps saw Matheson fingering the butter knife on the table and looked around the table.  No one else seemed to notice.  He swallowed hard and looked down at his plate.

 

“Let’s eat” he mumbled in defeat.

 

Dinner continued without further incident and everyone was quiet around the table.  Matheson glanced at Val whose eyes were on her plate.

 

“Alright everyone” Emily said standing.  “This is not a funeral. This is a celebration, so we’ll go around the table and we are going to tell one intimate truth we’ve learned by being in a relationship that will help Val and Matheson with their relationship.  That should lighten things up.”

 

“You’re not going to talk about sex are you?” Hannah asked.  “Really Emily, it’s not appropriate!”

 

“Can you contribute anything Hannah?”  Emily replied grinning. “It doesn’t have to be sexual, but I’m all ears.”

 

Hannah’s face turned red and she continued to eat.

 

“Alright, one intimate truth.  No one can pass on this.  Let’s get started.”  She looked around the table.  “I’ll take volunteers, but if you don’t volunteer, I’m going to draft you.”

 

No one said anything and everyone looked around at each other.

 

“Fine!”  Emily replied.  “We’ll start with Felecia.  Felecia, tell us one intimate truth that will help Matheson and Val.”

 

Felecia stared at Emily a moment with her mouth open.

 

“I-I don’t know Emily…”

 

“Don’t be shy!”  Emily insisted.  “Surely Billy does something right in bed!  C’mon now!”

 

“Don’t you say a word!” Billy insisted.

 

“Your turn is coming up!”  Emily warned looking at Billy.

 

“Well” Felecia said thoughtfully.  “My advice for Val is to try to be patient when you want sex and they don’t and for Matheson try to give it when he doesn’t feel like it.”

 

“Felicia!”  Billy snapped appalled.

 

“Now Billy, no one feels like it all the time.”  Emily said.  “Don’t be so defensive.”  She looked at Matheson.  “Did you get anything out of that, son?”

 

“Of course.”  He looked at Felicia.  “Thanks, Aunt Felicia.”

 

“Alright then” Emily continued.  “Billy it’s your turn.”

 

Billy grunted.  “I’m not participating in this asinine game!”

 

“Well if you don’t, I’ll just get Felicia to go again.”  Emily replied calmly.

 

“Fine!”  Billy grumbled looking around.

 

“Matheson, even when they don’t fix themselves up, try to concentrate on what she looked like the day you married her and then maybe you’ll be able to keep it up long enough to get through the sex!”

 

Felicia gasped.  “What the hell does that mean?”

 

“Now Felicia, we can’t go getting defensive!”  Emily replied.  “None of us look good all the time.”

 

“Val’s Uncle Buddy, do you have something?”  Emily asked looking at the old man.

 

“Yes” Buddy replied.  “Hold her tight, especially at night.”

 

Everyone laughed at Buddy’s comment.

 

“Gregory, you go next” Emily instructed looking at her husband.

 

“Son” he said looking at Matheson.  “If they talk too much…stick something in their mouth.”

 

Matheson chuckled and Emily glared at her husband.

 

“You’d better be glad I like you sticking that something in my mouth” she hissed.

 

“Too much information!”  Hannah snapped.  “Emily let’s stop this game!  You’re embarrassing my mother!”

 

“Are you embarrassed?”  Emily asked looking at Jessica.

 

“Not at all” Jessica replied grinning. “Please continue.”

 

Emily looked around the table.  “Emilio, can you offer some words of wisdom?”

 

“Ah” Emilio said grinning.  “Try to discover something new about her everyday.  Try to locate some sensitive spot and keep it in your memory for future use, especially when she is being disobedient.”  He looked at Hannah and grinned and Hannah rolled her eyes.

 

Emily smiled.  “Hannah”

 

Hannah glared at her and remained silent.

 

“If you don’t participate, we’ll go back to Emilio for seconds” Emily warned.

 

“Be patient with each other” Hannah said still glaring at Emily.  “Remember that intimacy takes time and is a learned thing between a man and woman.”

 

“Excellent advice!”  Emily squealed.  She looked at Emilio.  “My hat is off to you, Emilio!”

 

“Langston, your turn” Emily said nodding.

 

“Well…enjoy each day with each other like it is your last” he said glancing at Mavis.  “Because you never know if it is…and tell her you love her every day.”

 

“Mavis” Emily said nodding.

 

“Keep God in everything” Mavis replied.  “Even in your bedroom because he created everything and nothing is new to him.  It was God who created the desires you have for each other and he ordained it when he clearly said that it wasn’t good for man to be alone.   So you become one in more ways than just when you have sex.  You are one in everything.”

 

She glanced at Matheson whose face was red and he looked at Val who was still looking down at her plate.

 

“Mama Jessica” Emily said looking at Jessica.

 

“Well…”  Matheson’s grandmother said thoughtfully.  “Don’t go to bed angry.  Get it straight before you go to sleep.”

 

Everyone nodded in agreement.  Emily decided not to ask Gregory’s father since he had been so disagreeable.  She looked around the table a moment and then looked at Matheson and Val.

 

“OK, it’s my turn” she said grinning.

 

“Try new things.  I have a copy of my pleasure book that I’m presenting to both on you on the eve of your wedding.”  She said grinning. “All I have to say is be loving towards each other and everything will work out.”

 

She looked at Matheson and Val.  “Now that wasn’t so bad was it?”

 

“No.” Matheson replied grinning.  “Thank you all for some excellent advice.”

 

“Thank you for the book, Emily” Val said flipping through it.  “I’m sure we will put it to good use.”

 

“All of you are damn fools!”  William replied disgusted.  “Talking about sex at the dinner table, racial mixing, and interracial marriage! The whole damn world’s gone mad!”

 

“No, Pop” Gregory responded.  “Times are changing and we have to change with them”

 

Dessert was served and the conversation continued.  William got up and left the table.  He couldn’t take another moment of this so called dinner.  He returned to his room and planned on packing and preparing to return to Florida.

 

There was a knock on the door and Billy came into the room.

 

“Papa, I’ve made arrangements for you to check into the Mayo Clinic.  We think you need to be checked out.”  Billy said.  “We all agree and it’s all set.”

 

“I’m not going anywhere!”  William protested.

 

“You will go” Billy replied.  “Remember you signed over Power of Attorney for you and Mama if something should happen.  I’m admitting you when we return home.”

 

“You can’t do that!”  William insisted.

 

“You will agree to it, Papa” he stressed.  “Matheson told us what you did to that young lady.  We don’t want to see you in jail so this is the next best thing.  I convinced Matheson that it must be mental and he agreed with me, so you will go and get treatment.”

 

“He tried to kill me!”  William protested. “What about that?”

 

“Really Papa, you expect me to believe that Matheson tried to take your life?  What’s wrong with you?  Matheson wouldn’t hurt a fly.”  Billy said shaking his head.

 

“That colored girl has gotten into his head!  He’ll do anything for her.  Don’t you understand?”  William protested.

 

“I understand that you need help and you’re going to get it.”  Billy replied.  “Either you go voluntarily or I will commit you myself.”  He stared at his father.  “I will do it.  Believe me, I will!”

 

William sat on the bed defeated.  “What about Jessica?  She needs taking care of.”

 

“She will stay with me and Felicia until you get better.”  Billy replied.

 

He patted his father on the shoulder.  “Believe me, Papa.  It’s for the best.”

 

Everyone had retired to the music room and Matheson played some jazz music.

 

“Tomorrow you’ll be my wife” he said pulling Val into his arms.

 

“I know” she replied. “You know it’s bad luck for the groom to see the bride the day of the wedding, so after I leave here, I’m going home alone.”

 

Matheson looked surprised.  “I wanted you to come over my place.”

 

“Nope” Val replied.

 

“But it’s been like forever!”  he protested.  “I need a fix.”

 

“Not tonight” she said grinning. “I have to be home before midnight or else the bad luck will come.”

 

Matheson looked at his watch.  “It’s only a little after nine.  Can’t I get a quickie?”

 

Val shook her head.  “And where will you get this quickie, Mr. Hendricks? We’re in your parent’s house you know…full of our family!”

 

Matheson was quiet a moment and she walked over to Mavis and Langston and sat down and began to talk to them.  He tried not to be frustrated, but tomorrow was going to be a long day and it would be late before they would be alone.  His mind raced as he tried to think of something.

 

That dress she was wearing was giving him a hard on in the worst way and he tried to think of something else other than pushing it up and having his way with her.  It was a difficult task.  He went into the kitchen to get a drink.

 

“Matheson, is everything alright?”  his mother asked when she came into the kitchen.

 

“I’m fine, Ma” he said giving her a weak smile.  “I’m just getting something to drink.”

 

Emily stared at him a moment.

 

“You’re not getting nervous are you?”  she asked anxiously.

 

“Of course not!”  he replied.  “I can’t wait to be married.”

 

“I see” Emily said studying him.

 

“What?”  he snapped unable to take any more of her scrutiny.

 

“I need you to take Val up to your old room and see if she wants the quilt that Mavis made for you.”  Emily replied. “It’s at the foot of your bed.”

 

“Ma, we don’t have time for that!”  he objected.

 

“Oh I think you do” Emily said looking at him with a slight smile on her face. “In fact, I’ll tell her myself. You go on up and I’ll send her to you and keep everyone busy down here.”

 

Matheson ran his hand through his hair and wondered if his mother was having one of her moments.  He then remembered how his mother had looked at him sort of up and down, and he realized that she knew!  His face flushed realizing that his mother had figured out that he was horny as hell!  He didn’t know whether to kiss her for sending Val up to his room, or to go and hide under a rock somewhere.

 

He went up the back steps and opened the door to his old room.  The quilt that Mavis had made for him was at the foot of the bed like she said.

 

Matheson heard a light tap on the door and Val opened it up and came in.

 

“So what’s the emergency?”  she asked looking at him.

 

“I think my mother was trying to help me out with my problem” Matheson replied sheepishly.  “I didn’t realize that it was so obvious how horny I am.”

 

Val laughed.  “Your mother is something else.  You have been looking a little frustrated lately. That’s probably how she put it together.”

 

He pulled her into his arms.  “I can wait.  We can’t do it with all those people downstairs even though Ma said that she would hold them at bay. “

 

Val kissed him.  “Well I could meet you halfway” she said unzipping his pants. “It has been a while for us.  Just don’t mess up my hair!”

 

She made him sit on the bed and took him into her mouth and he groaned.  His hand was itching to hold her head as she moved up and down his shaft, but he resisted the urge.  Instead he talked to her telling her how much he loved her and what he was going to do to her after they were married.

 

“Val…I’m cumming” he hissed as she continued to move up and down him rapidly, sucking hard.

 

Matheson soon stiffened with his release and tried not to make too much noise.  He fell back on the bed and Val then quickly kissed him, giving him the remainder of the contents in her mouth that she hadn’t swallowed which took him by surprise.  She broke the kiss and grinned at him.

 

“Alright husband almost” she said giggling.  “We’d better go back downstairs.”

 

“Where did you learn that little trick” he asked wiping his mouth.

 

“From your mother’s Pleasure Book” she said straightening her dress.  “I took a peek”

 

Matheson made a mental note to thank his mother for her gift and tried not to think about her doing that to his father.