Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Matheson brings Val to his parents home and get mixed responses!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Feelings and Fears

Matheson pulled up in front of his parent's house ready for anything. He didn't know what his parents were going to say. He looked at VaLysia. He knew now that he would never give her up. Come what may, he was in it for the long haul.

His mother had always loved Mavis. His father tolerated her because he loved Emily. Gregory couldn't understand their connection and had mentioned it jokingly to Matheson several times over the years. It was amazing to Matheson that the two of them had even gotten together. They were two totally different people.

He pulled around the back of the house and saw his mother outside and he wondered what was going on. She was pacing back and forth with several bags in her hand and she was eating something. He quickly parked and got out.

"Hey, Mom. What are you doing out here?"

Emily looked at the two of them and smiled. "You're just in time! I've been getting some samples from the bakery to plan Mavis' birthday gathering next week. I have cake samples and I have some appetizers. I need someone to help me make a decision! I needed some air and I decided to come out here and try them." She fumbled with two grocery bags. "You know your father is absolutely no help when it comes to party planning! I needed to clear my head! Come help me taste everything!"

Matheson rolled his eyes. "Mom, I don't want to see a cake on my day off!"

She looked at VaLysia. "I'm glad you're here. When I saw you pull up, I figured you two were coming to discuss Mavis dinner next week. Your timing couldn't have been better."

She ran back to the open trunk of her car and pulled out another two bags. She then reached in one of them and pulled out something and popped it in her mouth.

Val looked at Matheson who laughed. "Ma, it's supposed to be a simple dinner-"

"Tut tut, you're no fun Matheson! You've got to help me decide, VaLysia!" she looked at VaLysia her eyes pleading.

"Alright." Val replied grinning.

Emily quickly shoved two bags into her hands and slammed the trunk shut.

"Come on in the kitchen" Emily said leading the way giggling gleefully. She looked back at Matheson. "Your father's in the den. You go on in there while VaLysia helps me make some decisions! You're just like your father...absolutely no help!"

He watched as she pulled Val along and they split up with Val following Emily to the kitchen and he turning and going down the hall to the den. His mother acted like a child sometimes. He smiled to himself. That's why he loved her so much!

He found his father sitting on the sofa reading.

"Hey Dad" he said sitting down across from him.

"Matheson! This is a surprise." Gregory said "What brings you by on your day off?"

Matheson debated on whether to wait for his mother to finish with Val or just go ahead and tell him. He decided to tell him in case things got ugly. His father would be much harder to convince than his mother.

"Look, I need to talk to you. VaLysia and I came by-"

"You can't believe how glad I am to hear that!" Gregory said interrupting. "Your mother has been going on and on about this dinner next week! You would think that the Queen of England was coming or something. Mavis this and Mavis that...I don't know how much more I can take!"

"You know how Mom is about Mavis" Matheson replied laughing.

"Yes, I do" his father replied clearing his throat. "I mean she dotes on the woman! Don't get me wrong, I like Mavis and all, but Emily just thinks the sun doesn't rise in the morning without Mavis' consent!"

"Look Dad," Matheson continued. "I wanted to talk to you about something. You've been on me about a girl and you've been wondering why I'm not involved with anybody. The business had been taking up quite of bit of my time, but now I've met someone and I'm in love with her. Things are getting pretty serious between us."

Gregory's face broke out in a big grin. "Really? Well that's great" he said smacking his son on the back. "Who is she? When are you bringing her by?"

"She's in the kitchen with Mom. I'm sure they will be here in a minute."

"What? I should have known your mother would try to hoard all the girl's time" he said getting up. "Let's go into the kitchen so that I can meet her."

Matheson stopped him. "You've already met her. It's Mavis' granddaughter VaLysia"

Gregory stopped and turned back to him. "Come again?"

"It's Mavis' granddaughter VaLysia" he repeated.

"That's what I thought you said." Gregory replied. "Have you lost your mind? She's a black girl! Why in the world would you even consider a black girl as someone who would be acceptable in our eyes? If you are going to see her, see her. Have your fun! When I told you to bring a girl home, I meant a girl you were serious about, a girl that you wanted to marry!"

"I am serious about her." Matheson replied.

"Ridiculous! You've only known her a month! Is the pussy that good?"

"You don't have to be so vulgar" Matheson snapped. "Besides, I haven't slept with her! She's not that kind of girl"

Gregory rolled his eyes. "Yeah, right. You talk like a fool. If you haven't been lying in it, then you've been playing in it for sure to have your nose so wide open! Next you'll be telling me she's a virgin!"

"She is."

Gregory stared at him in disbelief. "You're a bigger fool than what I thought. You actually believe that this girl...this black, twenty six or twenty seven year old girl is still a virgin? She told you that and you fell for it? Girls don't stay virgins that long unless they've been locked away somewhere! Times are not like they used to be"

"Dad, I'm sure she's telling the truth. In fact, I'm positive." Matheson snapped. "Even if she wasn't, that doesn't matter to me."

Gregory grunted. "Of course it matters! Let's be frank here, Matheson! What man wouldn't want a girl that no one's had before? If she's kept her legs closed all this time and now she's ready to have you part the red sea so to speak, that inflates a man's ego. Since you're so convinced that she is a virgin, all that tells me is that she's been saving it up for the highest bidder. You've fallen for the game hook, line and sinker. If you deflower her, then you'll feel obligated to make a legal woman of her. That's an old fashioned idea that her grandmother probably instilled in her, no doubt!"

"I'm not listening to this crap!" Matheson hissed. "I love her. I'm going to marry her. Deal with it, Dad!"

"Marriage? You're talking marriage already! Damn she is good! Matheson, have you totally lost your mind?" Gregory pushed him back down on the sofa. "Sit down! Do you realize what you're doing? I'm sure she jumped right on your offer knowing how much you're worth, right? How much is virgin pussy worth these days?"

"I haven't asked her to marry me yet, but I'm sure she's the one" Matheson yelled jumping up. I can't believe you, Dad. You are trying to make her sound like some high priced whore. I've worked like a dog for you, put my life on hold for the last eighteen months. I deserve to be happy too. Val makes me happy and nothing you say will change my mind!"

"You were working for yourself!" Gregory shot back. "Hannah's will be yours one day! Think with your head boy, and not your dick!"

"You're unbelievable!" Matheson spat. "Have you forgotten so soon all those problems with the banks and Wall Street? Have you forgotten how our credit dried up and how I had to cover so many areas because we couldn't afford to hire more people? Yes, I did it for the business and I did it to make you proud of me! I tried to be there when you needed me, and now I expect you to at least give my personal choices some respect!"

"What's all this yelling going on in here?" Emily said rushing into the den. "I could hear you two clear down the hall. Gregory! You're not fighting with Matheson already? He just got here!"

Val came in behind her and looked at Matheson whose face was red. He looked ready to deck his father and she knew that he had told him about her. She glanced back and forth between them wondering if World War Three was about to break out.

Gregory looked at his wife. "Your son has some outrageous news for us" he replied his voice totally sarcastic. He looked at Val and then back at Emily. "He's in love and wants to get married!"

Val gasped in shock but no one seemed to notice since all eyes were on Matheson. She looked at him and his fists were balled up and he was facing his father. She prayed that things would not escalate.

Emily clapped her hands together and rushed over to her son "Marriage? Who is she? That's wonderful son!"

"You don't even know who he's marrying!" Gregory snapped. "He thinks he's in love with Mavis granddaughter."

Emily quickly turned and looked at Val and then back at Matheson.

"I would appreciate it if you wouldn't talk about me like I wasn't here" Val snapped. "Besides, I don't know anything about any marriage!"

Emily looked at Matheson confused. "What is going on son?"

"When I said something about marriage, I was talking in the future." He walked over to Val and put his arm around her waist. "However, I am in love with her. I know she's the one. I brought her here so that we both could tell you. I'm courting her and my goal is to eventually marry her."

"You have to ask me first" Val replied raising an eyebrow.

"I plan to" Matheson said smiling.

"That is crazy" Gregory snapped.

"It's not crazy" Matheson replied. "I love her. Get used to it, Dad."

Emily suddenly looked worried. "What does Mavis think about all this? Is she alright about the two of you being together?"

"It's always about Mavis!" Gregory snapped. "Mavis, Mavis, Mavis! I'm sick of this! She was most likely the one that put the girl up to snagging Matheson in the first place. She always had this hold on him. I should have seen this coming!"

"I'm not a child, Dad" Matheson said. "I make my own decisions and I chose who I want to be with. Mavis had nothing to do with my choice. In fact, she was against it at first! I had to convince her and give her my word as a gentleman that I would do right by Val and I plan on keeping my word. That's the only reason she agreed to give us her blessing!"

"I'll never accept it" Gregory replied. He looked at Val. "Nothing against you personally, VaLysia. But you two just met. Marriage is serious business. I'm not prejudiced or anything, but is it wrong to want grandchildren who look like me? Any children you two have will certainly be black and not white."

"You are prejudiced, Dad. I don't care what color my babies are. They will still be mine." Matheson replied.

"Well your mother and I care. The children will be all mixed up and confused not knowing whether they are black or white." Gregory continued.

Emily suddenly burst out crying and sat in a nearby chair.

"Look at how much you've upset your mother" Gregory accused.

"I'm not upset, I'm happy." Emily replied.

Gregory looked at her. "Are you daft woman? You don't know what you're saying! Matheson is our only son! I don't want our line to end like this!"

Emily walked over to him. "Like what? This is an answer to my prayers! All my life the only mother I've ever had has been Mavis. She's the only mother I remember. Now if Matheson marries her granddaughter, we'll be a real family!"

Gregory waved her away. "Look, I'm sorry that you were an orphan and all and you want some sort of bond with Mavis, but I will not accept this or any half black kids"

Emily reached up and quickly smacked her husband's face hard, something that totally stunned Matheson. His mother hardly ever disagreed with his father and never publicly. She always gave in to his wishes. She certainly had never struck him as far as he knew. Then again, his father usually backed down when his mother would get riled up about something. He hadn't seen her upset like this in a long time!

Gregory put his hand to his face stunned at Emily. She was a firecracker when she was mad and he didn't cross her often, but he was going to stand firm on this! She'd just have to get over it!

"Don't you dare say such a thing!" she cried out. "Mavis is not just like a mother to me! She is my mother as far as I'm concerned. If you don't think that VaLysia is good enough for our son, then you're saying that Mavis isn't good enough either and if Mavis isn't good enough, then I'm not good enough for you either apparently!"

"That's the craziest damn thing I've ever heard you say" Gregory snapped totally exasperated. "Mavis is not really your family."

She gasped at his comment and smacked him hard again. Gregory reached up and grabbed her wrist, but she jerked away from him and began to pace back and forth, which she did when she was highly agitated.

"How dare you say such a thing! She is family. She raised me and your son! I will not allow you to reduce her to some sort of paid servant!" She stopped pacing a moment and stood in front of him. "Apologize to me and to VaLysia! To talk this race talk about your future daughter-in-law is totally disrespectful and disgraceful. I won't have it!"

"I will not apologize in my own home!" Gregory snapped.

"Don't worry about it, Mom. We're leaving." Matheson replied getting up and walking towards the door.

"Matheson Gregory Hendricks!" his mother said her voice a loud squeal. "Sit!" She pointed to a chair and then pointed to him. She turned to Gregory. "Do you want to destroy this family?"

"It's not me, it's your son!" Gregory replied still rubbing his face. Never had he seen her like this. She was almost wild, pacing back and forth. She stopped and looked at Val.

"I am sorry for my husband's behavior, VaLysia" She turned to Gregory. "You will apologize to me and your son and VaLysia!"

Val couldn't believe that things had gotten to this level. She looked at Matheson who sat back down immediately upon his mother's command. She had to admit that the two men almost seemed afraid of Emily as she paced back and forth, her face a barely controlled mask of rage. She looked like a mad woman and Val knew that she'd never want to cross her wrong. Val had to admit though that her grandmother would be proud of Emily. This four foot tall woman didn't take mess off of anybody!

Val looked over at Gregory and squeezed Matheson's hand as he held hers.

"Mr. Hendricks, my grandmother is half white! She's not confused. That's just your fear talking" Val said. "Just own up to the fact that you don't like black people!"

"That's not true." he protested. "I've got black friends!"

Matheson laughed. "Just not black relatives, right?"

"Look, I don't have to explain myself to any of you." Gregory replied crossing his legs.

Emily stopped pacing and gave her husband an evil look.

"Look Mom, I think you'd better cancel this dinner." Matheson said. "There's no use upsetting Mavis with all of this commotion"

"Absolutely not! If I've got to have it somewhere else, I will." she looked at Gregory. "And you will pay for it too and you can keep your ass at home!"

"What?" he replied. "So this is all my fault right? Your son comes in here and says that he's getting married to your former servant's grandchild and I'm supposed to be happy! What part of this am I missing?"

Emily quickly walked over to Gregory and smacked him again. He grabbed her wrist. "That's the last time you'll hit me woman!"

Matheson started to get up and get between the two, but his mother gave him a look letting him know to stay put. Emily looked at her husband a moment. "You are my husband, Gregory. I've tried to be a good wife, but I will not allow you to disparage my family. Mavis is my family, so don't you forget it. Now let me go!"

She snatched herself from his grasp and walked over to Matheson.

"I'm happy for you son. Your father will change his mind, I'll guarantee that!"

"I doubt it!" Gregory snapped.

"I'm out of here" Matheson said grabbing Val's hand. "Let''s go."

Val got up and walked out of the house with Matheson. When they got outside, she looked at him and burst out laughing.

"What's so funny?" Matheson asked as they got in the car. "I thought you'd be livid and here you are laughing your head off!"

"I felt like I was in an episode of All in the Family or something." VaLysia said snickering. "This was totally unreal."

"Yeah? What are you going to tell Mavis about our little visit?"

"The truth of course." Val replied.

They were about to get in the car and Emily came to the door.

She waved at them and Val let down the passenger window.

"I'll call you about the dinner party! Thanks for your help, VaLysia"

"You're welcome" Val said.

She looked at Matheson shaking her head. "She acts like nothing ever happened! She still wants to have this thing even though your father is totally against it! I don't get it! I know she doesn't want to upset Grandma, but she acts already like your father has come around and that it's a done deal!"

Matheson chuckled. "Well, I don't know how, but my money is on her. There has never been a time in my life that I can remember that my mother hasn't gotten her way eventually."

Emily Matheson HendricksGregory Hendricks