Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: The views and opinions in this story is that of the author, it does not reflect the opinions of TNT, creators, writers or anyone involved with the Hawthorne TV show. Any and all recognizable characters involved in the images are solely owned and the property of their respective owners or by an unknown developer.




Author's Chapter Notes:

This Fanfiction was a collaboration between myself and Clarallen. We have had a wonderful time putting this story together, we hope everyone enjoys. Thank you Clarallen for working with me on this it has been great. Your a great friend.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The sun was shining brightly through the half opened blinds in Tom's office when he was awaken in a dry sweat. It seemed he dreamed about her anytime he closed his eyes. This dream was about the first time they gave themselves to one another. She felt so amazing close to him, how he wished things had gone differently and he was waking up next to her. Seeing her smile in the morning always brightened his day. As he got up and sat at the edge of the couch, he had been sleeping on in his office, since he found out about her affair, he saw the divorce papers. Why was he so stupid to think she wouldn't sign them, now he wished he had not given them to her. She would want to let him go because she didn't want to hurt him anymore. As much as it hurt knowing she slept with Nick, it hurt even more knowing he would never have a chance to make things work with her. As he got up and he picked up the divorce papers, his heart was telling him to talk with her and tell her how he felt no matter what the outcome was. He knew they had to come to some peace with each other if they were going to work together, and especially since they had both taken positions that would have them working closely together. Tom put the divorce papers down and went to his bathroom to freshen up and was going to head for her office, if nothing else to offer his congratulations on her new job. Tom stepped out of the bathroom, picked up the divorce papers and placed them in the inner pocket of his sports jacket.

Christina was getting herself settled into her new office. Camille had helped her pack a couple of boxes that she would need. At the bottom of the last box she pulled out a photograph of her and Tom's wedding day. She slightly smiled and under her breath said, "Camille", as the memories of the day flooded her mind. She was quickly brought back to reality when she heard a knock at her office door. "Come in." She called out. As she looked up surprised at seeing Tom standing there, he glanced down at here hand and noticed the picture of them at the same time she looked down. Christina quickly placed it back in the box. Tom smiled and walked across the room, he stood directly in front of her, he reached behind her and picked it up. She looked up at him, "what are you doing with that"? Christina asked with confusion in her voice. Not knowing what he was about to do. "Placing it were it belongs", Tom said with a sly smile, as he reached over to the file cabinet on the right of her desk, placing their wedding picture on top of it in full view of anyone who came through the door. Tom was afraid Christina would object, but to his surprise when he turned back to look at her she was smiling at him. "Are you sure you want that there?" she asked him as her heart filled with joy knowing that he wanted anyone and everyone that came into her office to see it. "If I didn't I wouldn't have put it there," he told her as he stared down into her hazel eyes. "So what brings you her Dr. Wakefield, other than putting up pictures in my office" "I just wanted to congratulate you on your promotion, and let you know if you need anything, I am here for you". "Thank you I really appreciate that". Christina said as she diverted her eyes back up at him, with that sassy smile he loved so much. "Umm...Christina there is something I wanted to say to you". Tom said as he stood in front of her with both hands in his pockets. "Okay". Christina replied, as she leaned against her desk, holding on to the edge of it wondering what he was about to say. "Christina I wanted you to know that no matter what you might believe, I loved you and always wanted to protect you. I will always regret not being there the night you were attacked. But you have to know it killed me hearing your screams and not being able to do anything, couldn't get to you fast enough. I did everything I could to save our baby and keep you safe once I got to you." With sadness in her eyes, Christina placed her hand on Tom's chest as she leaned her head into it. She knew he wasn't to blame for what happened to her, she felt so bad that she had ever accused him of that. "Tom I am sorry. Sweetie, I am so sorry for every implying that you were not there for me, Christina said behind tears. You did everything you could for me and to save our daughter. Tom I loved you, No! I love you, and I don't know how I am going to live knowing how I hurt you. I only signed the divorce papers because you deserve to be happy with someone that hasn't been unfaithful to you, you deserve someone who can bear your children." "Christina, don't you get it you're the one I want, I love you and can forgive the affair. I only gave you the papers because I was hurting and wanted you to feel half the pain I was feeling. I never expected you to actually sign them, I expected you to fight for us, like you fight for everything else."
"Tom it took everything in me not to fight for you, you will never understand how hard it was for me to sign them, knowing how much I hurt you, I don't know how you can forgive me. But I will spend the rest of my life trying to prove to you how much I do love you, I have spent sleepless nights praying that we could work things out."

As Christina and Tom continued their conversation, an unexpected guest came into her office. Nick had let himself in, as he saw the door partially open. Christina and Tom were so involved in their conversation that they didn't hear the door open completely. Nick did not step into their line of sight, he just stood in the foyer listening to the interaction between them. "Christina, do you want to give our marriage another chance?" "Tom, I so want to give us another try." Tom came closer to Christina pulling her into him, wrapping his arms around her waist as he smiled down at her. Christina moved her arms from his chest to around his neck as Tom leaned in kissing her passionately, than she ever thought was possible. When they parted their kiss, Christina stared into Tom's green eyes and whispered, "Tom please come home." In a seductive voice Tom says, "Is tonight to soon?" Christina gave him a devilish smile, leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips. "Should I take that as a No?" Tom said with a little laugh, as he smiled down at her. Christina smiles back and says "You better." As Tom and Christina began to talk about putting their relationship back together, Nick was raging inside, and was thinking of interrupting their little reunion, but decided it was best not to. He was getting ready to leave, when he heard Tom say "what do I do with this?" as he reach inside his jacket and pulled out the divorce papers. They both smiled at each other as the shredder caught Tom's eye. Nick was more than furious with the passionate exchange of words and emotions he had just witnessed between Christina and Tom and stormed out the door, slamming it as he left. Christina and Tom looked at each other wondering what the slamming of the door was. They both walked to the door to see if anyone was there, "Must have been someone looking for another office", Christina said, as she looked out into the empty hallway. "Must have been. Sweetie, I have to get back to work, but I will be home as soon as I can." Hugging him one more time Christina said, "I can't wait to have you back in our house and in our bed. I know we have a lot to still work out but I know our love will carry us through." "I love you Christina," Tom said, as he kissed her gently on the cheek. He knew if he kissed her on the lips again he would never leave. "I love you too Tom." With that Tom was out the door and heading to his office. Christina turned back into her office, with a smile on her face, suddenly her eye caught their wedding picture sitting on the filling cabinet were Tom placed it. They would make it work, she knew they would. Their love was strong, and that was proven by the fact that Tom forgave her for the awful mistake she had made. She knew now she had to forgive herself and allow Tom to love her the way she knew she deserved to be loved. She had to let go of her past hurts and love herself and realize how unconditional Tom's love was for her. As Tom got back into his office, he saw their wedding picture and picked it up. He gently rubbed his finger over it saying, "I love you Christina, and I am never letting you go again." Tom smiled and reached down to see who was paging him, his OR room was ready.


Section 2
Loves Harsh Realization
No pain No gain.

Christina got home from work after what seemed like the longest day of her life. She didn't realize how much it would take out of her to go back to work and taking on even more responsibility than before, but at least she had the bright spot of knowing Tom was moving back in. As she walked through the door she tossed her keys onto the side table as she kicked off of her shoes dropping her purse and jacket to the floor. As she stood there for a second she knew Tom would be home in about an hour so she decided a shower would be a good idea. Christina knew that their night would be just about as long as their day had been, she was more then sure that they were going to sit down and talk about how they were going to start rebuilding their marriage. As she walked out of their bedroom, after taking her shower, she heard the doorbell ring. She knew Camille was staying at psycho Suzanne's house, so the only other person it could be was Tom. He must have bags in his hands and couldn't reach the deadbolt, Christina thought to herself as she headed for the door. "I'm coming Tom." She called out as she opened it with a huge smile on her face, and her hand stretched out to help him with his things. As she stood there with a shocked look on her face she was taken aback when she saw Nick standing there with a crazed look on his face and his gun by his side. "I guess I wasn't the Man you were expecting." Nick said with a cockiness in his voice that shook Christina to her core.
"Hey Nick, what are you doing here?" Christina asked in a slow tone as she greeted him and took a step back, she was scared out of her mind as he stood there with an unpredictable look in his eyes, she was starting to worry and was wishing that Tom was home but in the same token she was happy that he wasn't, she didn't want them getting in to a confrontation with each other, she knew the outcome would be bad for Tom, Nick was still a cop. Nick interrupted her thoughts. "Can I come in?" He asked not giving Christina an option as he pushed his way through the door before she could even realize what was happening. He had walked her over to the dining room, "sit down." he told her as he took a seat across from her, placing his gun on the table. Scared to death at the demented look on Nick's face and the gun sitting in front of him, Christina sat down with as much calmness as she could muster. She knew the only way to get out of this without either one of them getting hurt, was for her to stay calm and caress his ego. Christina thought she was acting cool and collected but the expression on her face must have been giving her away. "Christina are you scared of me?" Nick asked. Christina was surprised by his question, and before she had time to think she glanced down at his hand on the gun and then back up at him she noticed the devilish grin that had spread across his face. He was taking pleasure in the fact that she was terrified of him. Christina sat there for a moment she knew that no matter how she answered him it could send him into a rage and he might hurt her. "Why, would I be scared of you Nick, you would never hurt me right?" at this point Christina's heart was pounding. "Your right I would never hurt you, and especially not how you hurt me. How could you leave me when you know that I was there for you, and even gave you proof of what I did for you". "I never asked you to kill for me Nick, I just wanted the attacker caught and brought to justice." Christina said as she sat there wishing that he would just leave. "Justice! Now that's funny, I know you were attracted to the fact that I was able to capture the person that hurt you when your husband couldn't even be there when you needed him the most. " "Tom did everything he could for me and our baby, and if it wasn't for him being on the phone with me, there would have been no telling how long it would have taken for someone to find me. I could have died from bleeding out. " Nick sat there listing to her defend him as his rage started to build. How could she think Tom was there for her, he couldn't even save their baby. "I brought your attacker to justice by removing him from the picture completely; Tom could or would never do that." As he Raised his voice it was full of anger that was evident. "Christina don't you see Tom didn't love you enough to take you home, but I love you, I am there for you at every corner and It was me that protected you not him." "Nick I'm sorry for leading you on, you were my escape when I didn't want to face my reality, it was never my intention to hurt you, but I did and for that I'm truly sorry and I hope one day you can forgive me. But the truth is I'm in love with my husband, and always have been, I need to do all I can to make up to him for my mistake. " "Mistake! So I was just a mistake, is that what I was to you?" Nick got up and picked up his gun and was swinging it around, Christina was just as frightened now as she was the day of her attack. "Nick, I think it is time for you to leave. I don't think there is anything left for us to say, I said everything in that letter." "Yes, Christina your letter, why is it that you weren't able to tell me even in your letter that you loved me." "Nick, I care about you, but I have never been in love with you I'm sorry. I loved you because you were there when I felt I had no one else and I will always be grateful to you for that, but I crossed a line and I have so many people to make that mistake up too, including you. The only way I can do that is keeping my distance from you and allowing you to go on with your life, to love someone who is worthy of you. " Nick grabbed Christina by the arm, pulling her from her seat she didn't want to make any sudden moves because the gun was still in his other hand, she was just hoping she could get him to the door without incident. "Christina, I love you, and everything I did, I did for that love I have for you. It has been all about you, since the day I met you." he stood there pointing the gun toward his heart. "Nick, please! I think its time for you to go. Again I'm sorry, but I need to take care of me now." Nick chuckled "you're going to take care of you? I guess that means getting back together with Tom?" She looked at him with confusion, how did he know. They hadn't told anyone they were getting back together.
"Yes, Christina I know about your reconciliation with Tom". Nick looked at her with a sly smile. She had seen that same sly smile the day of his mother's funeral when the service was interrupted by the large stranger. She stood there motionless staring at him that look gave her chills all over her body. "Nick?" Christina said calmly, "how do you know that"? "It's what I do Christina." At that moment she realized he must have been in her office, when her and Tom were talking. This really frightened her that he would spy on her like that; suddenly all his actions were starting to make sense and the urgency to get him out of her house was becoming even more imperative. "Nick, if you have ever loved me, cared anything about me please! I'm asking you to leave now". "Or what Christina, you'll call your husband with his gun to scare me." he stood in front of her with a cold and calculating look in his eyes as he gave Christina a deceitful chuckle. "Nick, please leave, I don't want to call the police". "Christina, I am the police!!" He yelled with such force that she jumped he pushed her against the table and kissed her forcefully. She pushed him away with all her force. "Nick get out now!" she screamed "or I will call the cops." Nick gave her a mischievous smile and backed away from her and headed for the door. When he reached it, he turned around and looked at her. "Christina this isn't over, you let me in, and I told you before, I'm not going anywhere." She knew he meant it when he said; he wasn't going anywhere, she felt as vulnerable now; as she did the day she was attacked. Christina stood there wondering how was she going to get away from him when she heard the front door open. Christina slowly turned her head and peeked around the beam, she walked back into the living room when she saw Nick close the door. She quickly went and locked it behind him. She leaned against it, slowly sliding down the length of the door and curling up in the fetal position on the floor, sobbing like a baby. What had she done, what kind of monster had she brought into her life, their lives. All she wanted now was to hold Tom and feel the safety and warmth of his arms.

Christina was startled when she heard the gunshot, she quickly picked herself up and looked through the curtain to see a car speed away and Nick leaning over the steering wheel. She quickly unlocked and opened it she screamed and ran out of the house she ran to Nicks car pulling him to the road she grabbed him and placed him against her, checking his pulse he was still breathing but it was labored she put pressure on the wound trying to stop the bleeding. She didn't know where the voice came from but all of a sudden her neighbor was standing next to her. "Christina, I called 911." "Thank you." she told him as she told Nick not to die on her that was the last thing she needed was for him to die in her arms. In the distance Christina could hear the police sirens and ambulance coming closer but it was to late Nick had taken his last breath.


Second Man Down
Truth or Dare

Tom was so excited about returning home. He was getting off the ramp of I-95 heading north toward the house. At the corner of Hillsborough and Columbus he could hear sirens coming past him, what he didn't realize was the ambulance was heading to his house. He stopped at the four stop sign to allow the paramedics to go through. As they past his car, Tom went to cross and out of no where came a Mercedes SUV that obviously didn't see the stop sign. The last thing Tom saw was the lights of the car crashing into him. The SUV hit Tom on his passenger side, spinning him around and knocking him into a light pole. The car behind Tom hit the breaks coming to a screeching halt to avoid running into the back of him, the man behind Tom got out called 911 and went over to see how bad Tom was hurt when he looked up to see the car that hit Tom didn't even bother to stop. The dispatcher called out to all units, Male, white Volvo SUV, hit and run, Hillsborough and Columbus. As the paramedics, were covering up Nicks dead body and talking with the Coroner, Christina stood there shaking her head wondering what Nick was thinking when she overhead the dispatcher description of a hit and run and its location, which she knew would be the route Tom would be taking to come home her heart started beating fast fear and panic took over Christina, the fact that the dispatcher said it was a male, she was getting a horrible feeling it was Tom.
She ran in the house and grabbed her keys she decided to follow the paramedics that had now taken off. Leaving the coroner with Nicks body. Christina made sure she had enough distance between her and the paramedics, so she wouldn't get into trouble, since she was just going on speculation.
When the paramedics arrived at the scene of the crash Christina stayed at the corner and when she looked over at the car and saw Tom inside her suspicions were confirmed. She ran to the car, being stopped by a paramedic. "Aren't you the lady from our shooting scene, a few blocks back", the paramedic asked with a surprise look on his face. "Yes, I am but that's my husband, I need to get to him", she said desperate to get to Tom. "Ma'am we're going to have to ask you to stand back we need to get him out of the car, and we don't know how bad the injuries are". Paramedic Johnson said holding her back. She stood by the paramedic's truck, as they worked on Tom. "God please don't let me lose him, I need him around to make up for all the hurt I caused him", she pleaded in between sobs, she couldn't believe this was happening.
He hit his head on the windshield; Christina heard the paramedic say. "There doesn't seem to be any internal injuries or broken bones, but he's unconscious." The paramedic told the other before going over to Christina, to tell her that they were taking Tom to the hospital, that he was unconscious, but his vitals were stable. "Please take him James River, I'm COO their and he's head of surgery. We'll do that Ma'am. Christina ran back to her car and followed behind the paramedics. Praying the whole way he would be fine. How did she allow her life to get so messed up? She knew how much Tom loved her, why couldn't she just have accepted it sooner, instead of making so many mistakes with Nick. Why couldn't she have opened up to Tom about how she was feeling with the attack, and the lose of their daughter. No one had ever loved her the way that he did and she was unsure how to cope with it. She needed to drop the walls that she had build up and completely let him in, even to those dark places of her life she didn't think she could revisit but she wanted him to know about.

As the paramedics wheeled Tom in, Steve met them at the door. "What do we have?" he asked as he slipped on a pair of gloves. "Male 40s hit and run unconscious at the scene (BP) 100/65, (HR) 110, and (RR) 12 NKDA no apparent broken bones or internal bleeding. Wife should be coming in right behind me. Steve looked at the patient and realizing that it was Tom, "Oh, Mate what happened. Trauma room 1". Before Steve could turn around and follow the gurney, he heard his name. "Steve", Christina came running in to the ER. "Christina, I'm about to go in and check on him, he seems stable but I have to run some test". He noticed Christina following behind him, "You stay here', Steve said firmly but caring. Christina leaned against the nurse's station desk, as Kelly came around to comfort her. Kelly had just been headed out the door when she heard the commotion and came to see what was happening. "I'll stay with you Christina; he'll be fine you'll see". Kelly took Christina to a chair in the nurse's station so she could sit. "Kelly I have made so many mistakes in the last several weeks, and losing him now, would be the end of me ". Christina said sobbing again. "Christina, Tom is strong you'll see he'll pull throw, and you guys will work it out", Kelly leaned over and hugged Christina, just letting her cry.

After what seemed like a life time of waiting Steve finally walked out of the trauma room he took a deep breath and looked over at Christina he walked over and she stood to her feet, "Steve, how is he?" Christina the good news is he's stable the X-rays show no broken bones his CT, MRI and ultrasound show no internal injuries, or bleeding, there's no sings of bleeding or swelling on the brain but he's still unconscious, we're sending him up to ICU now. Steve put a hand on Christina's arm, as they both saw the orderlies wheeling Tom out of the room. Christina gave Steve a smile, "Thank you Steve." As Christina started to walk away from him and towards the elevator that was taking Tom up to the ICU. Steve called out to her, "Christina," she turned to the sound of her name, "He's going to be fine, he's strong, and wants to come back to you. He wants to fight for you". She smiled again and continued towards the gurney. Once Tom was set up in his room the nurse told Christina that she could go and be with him.

As Christina entered the room slowly, she stood next to Tom; it was unbelievable how handsome he was even in the critical condition he was in. She remembered the day she first saw him in the ER, how sexy she thought he was, sometime she would find herself staring at him, and she would have to remind herself that she was married. This brought a slight smile to her face. She brushed his hair back a little and gave him a soft kiss on his forehead. "I believe you can hear me Tom, please know I love you, and I am sorry for all the damage I have caused in our lives and the hurt I have put you through. I will spend the rest of my life making this up to you. You have to make it through this, because I need you more than you will ever know, and so does Camille. You are my rock and I can't be myself with out you Tom." She bent over and kissed him on the forehead again. When she went to sit down she realized that she hadn't called Camille. She pulled out her cell and hit the speed dial, but Camille phone went straight to voice mail, Christina decided to leave her a message, "Camille, its mom, I need you to call me as soon as you get this." She didn't go into details to what happened because she didn't want her to worry, and she gets into an accident trying to get to the hospital. Within a few minutes Camille had called her back and Christina explained to her what happened and Tom's condition. Camille told her, she would be there soon and she would drive safe. She knows that that was going to be the next thing her mother said.

Tom's condition hadn't changed he had fell into coma two days after he was admitted and it had been over a week. Christina was starting to get worried. She was wondering if maybe Tom didn't want to come back to her after everything she had put him through. She sat by his side day and night she would have long talks with him all the time, and on this particular day she decided let him know that if he didn't want to come back because of her, she would understand, but he needed to come back for himself. She wanted him to live a happy and fulfilled life even if it meant living without her. As Christina kissed him on the forehead, she heard a soft whisper, "Why would I want to live without your the love of my life." Tears started to fill Christina's eyes, "I have fought to hard to keep you to leave now." Christina smiled as tears fell from her eyes to his cheeks, "Oh, thank God! Tom, I thought you didn't wont to come back because you didn't want to be with me." she told him as tears continue to fall, In a weak voice Tom whispered, "I love you Christina, and know that I heard everything you said to me, I was fighting to come back to you." Christina gently kissed Tom on the lips and told him to rest as she signaled for his nurse. "He's awake." She told her as she entered the room. "Welcome back Dr. Wakefield." the nurse smiled as she checked his vitals, he was talking and fully conscious the prognosis was looking good. "Ms Hawthorne we'll probably put your husband in another room by tomorrow, the doctor should be into see him tonight. Christina turned away from Tom for a second and thanked the nurse. "Sweetie I need to call Camille." She pulled out her phone and hit the speed dial, "Camille Tom's..." was all Christina could get out before she heard Camille scream he's awake I'm on my way.

Tom was kept at the hospital for a few more days to monitor his vitals. They did another CT and MRI scan just to make sure they didn't miss any bleeding or swelling that my have occurred while he was unconscious. He recovered very quickly and was begging Dr. Jones to allow him to go home. "No worse patient than a doctor," Dr. Jones said, as he signed the release papers.

As Christina drove up the driveway of the house she realized she hadn't told Tom, about what happened to Nick. She figured she would wait for the right time to tell him, and tonight.






Chapter End Notes:

To be continued...