Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

It had been a week since their first date at the racetrack, and Deidre had already agreed to go on another date with Scott. That Saturday morning Deidre was dressed and ready, despite the fact that Scott had not hinted or talked about their next date. Deidre had her umbrella waiting by the door, just in case the ominous clouds decided to bring rain.

There was a knock on her door, and Deidre got up from where she was flipping through a magazine to answer it.

"Hey Scott," She smiled.

"Hey. Are you going somewhere?" He asked.

"Isn't that why you're here?"

He smirked and nodded his head. "Touché."

"So where are we going today?"

"You really think I'm going to tell you?" He asked as the pair walked down her building stairs.

"You know I do not do surprises."

"Well, I guess you better get used to them because I'm all about surprises." Scott said getting into his car.

After they'd been driving for a few minuets, Deidre broke the silence. "So, You’re really not going to tell me where we’re going?”

“How many times do we have to go through the concept of a surprise?” Scott laughed. He glanced at her from the corner of his eye. Deidre was pouting.

They drove for a while longer in silence. “I have a question for you.” Scott said.

“Yes.”

“Why’d you become a lawyer?”

“Some days I don’t even know myself.” Deidre laughed.

“I’m serious. It’s obvious you’re passionate about your job. But I would like to know the reason for the passion.”

Deidre thought for a few moments to gather her thoughts. “I guess I was fascinated by the law. There are so many facets and intricacies to different legislation.”

“So when did you decide to go to law school and become a lawyer?”

“I think it was the beginning of my first semester junior year. I finally got into this course dedicated to the constitution. Reading it, and gaining a better understanding of what it said kind of made me want to learn more about it.”

“So why not go to grad school; study political science and the way people interpret the constitution and how it had changed over the years?”

Deidre smiled. “That I can answer easily. My mom talked me into it. She always supported what I wanted to do, but she is very practical. I brought the idea of grad school up and she said, ‘Why not just go to law school. That way when you get out, you’ll have a marketable skill.’ And to be honest, I’m happy she talked me out of graduate school and into law school.”

“How’d you get into medical law?”

“The summer after my first year I interned at this firm where their only cases involved suing doctors and hospitals.”

“They were ambulance chasers,” Scott supplied.

“Exactly. That summer I did see a few cases where the hospital was genuinely in the wrong. But most of those cases were frivolous. I felt like I couldn’t sit on the sidelines and watch as hospitals who were trying to help people, had to shell out a lot of money to lazy people. Don’t get me wrong. You doctors do some dumb shit that I’ve had to clean up. And there are firms where the majority of the cases they take are not frivolous law suits. But I look around and it seems like there are more lawyers who when they see ambulances they see dollar signs than lawyers like me, who see hard working people just trying to help others. I know the figures would probably show there are an equal number of both, but this is just how I feel.” Deidre explained.

“You know most people around the hospital don’t see that. They kind of think you’re a bit of a bitch.” Scott said.

“Yeah, I know that. I’m hard on everyone because I don’t want to see the same mistakes come up over and over again. It’s bad for everyone when a lawsuit comes up against the hospital. One small mistake can cost the hospital millions which could end up with someone losing their job or a department not being able to get that new machine that will revolutionize the way the hospital practices medicine. I just… I just try to see the big picture.”

The two lapsed, once again, into a comfortable silence for the rest of the ride.

They arrived at a putt-putt golf course just as the clouds began to dissipate. The course also happened to be next to a small pizzeria.

"Putt-putting Scott?” Deidre asked.

"It'll be fun, you'll see." Scott got out of the car.

"Why this place? There are plenty of putt-putt courses closer to my apartment, which by the way did not require a thirty minuet drive and a ride on the ferry." Deidre said getting out of the car.

"Just trust me on this one." Scott and Deidre walked up to the booth and picked out their balls and their clubs.

“So, which course do you want to do? Pirates Cove, or the other one over there?” Scott asked while he and Deidre stood in front of the two different paths.

“I’m assuming you are leaning toward pirates cove.” Deidre noted. “Let’s just do that one then.”

Scott smiled and led the way up the path.

The first hole was par 3; Scott knocked his ball in with two putts. Deidre, however, was not as skilled. She was on he fifth putt, and it did not look like she was getting any closer. The ball rolled back down the small hill for the fifth time.

“The object of the game is to get the ball in the hole in as few shots as possible.” Scott said.

“I know that. The stupid ball won’t stay in the little area to go in the hole.” Deidre said stepping up to putt the ball for the sixth time.

“I thought you played field hockey in high school.” Scott joked.

“That was in high school. Besides,” Deidre tapped the ball lightly and it rolled up the hill and into the hole. “These are two different sports. Field hockey required more hand, eye, and foot coordination. And it’s faster paced.”

“Right. Let’s just move on to the next hole shall we?” Scott suggested.

Deidre nodded her head and followed Scott to the next whole. The rest of their game went much the same way as the first hole. Scott sunk his ball at or under par, while Deidre took a few extra putts (and by a few it was more like four or five extra putts).

After the eighteenth hole, they returned their clubs to the booth and left the putt-putt course.

"Did you have fun?" Scott asked.

"Golf isn’t my game.”

“That’s not what I asked.”

Deidre gave Scott a look as if to say, ‘Do I really have to answer that question.’

“It won’t kill you to admit you had fun Deidre.” Scott pushed.

“You win,” Deidre said throwing up her hands. “I had fun. Happy?”

Scott smiled, “Are you?”

 “I’d be better if you would feed me." Deidre joked. “I’m ready to eat now.”

“We can go get pizza.”

Deidre closely looked at Scott. He was smiling, but there was a mischievous glint in his eyes. She narrowed her own eyes before saying, "Really Scott?”

Scott shrugged his shoulders.

“We drive all the way out here just to play putt-putt and eat pizza?" Deidre asked following him to the pizzeria.

"Well there is a bit of a catch.” Scott said holding the door open for Deidre.

"What do you mean a catch?" Deidre asked.

A friendly looking round man stepped out from the back and came to greet them. "Scott, the last time you told me you were coming, you never showed." The man exclaimed as he shook Scott’s hand.

"Yeah, well Marty, I’m here this time, right?"

"Who's this?" Marty asked.

"Deidre James," she said as she shook Marty's hand.

"How do you know Scott?"

"I've known Scott for years, gosh I knew him back in New York when he and the others were just lowly interns. I used to have a place back in New York but then my father-in-law died and my wife and I inherited this place. Lovely right?" Marty explained.

"Yeah, it's nice." Deidre agreed.

"So are you two ready?"

Deidre looked to Scott confused by what Marty meant. "I'm always ready, and Deidre’s a little hungry as well."

"Well, follow me." The three of them walked back into a kitchen where a younger man was throwing pizza dough in the air.

"Scott," Deidre looked at him skeptically. "What are we going to be doing?"

"Making pizza of course." He smiled.

"You two can wash your hands over there. When you're done, we can get started." Marty said pointing to a sink.

After washing their hands, Scott and Deidre dawned aprons so they would not mess up their clothes.

"Now the first thing we do is knead the dough, so put a little flour on your hands and do what I do." Marty said.

Scott and Deidre did as they were told and imitated Marty's motions.

"Hey Marty," a voice called from somewhere in the front of the restaurant.

"Yeah?"

"I need you up here."

"Oh, alright. Looks like I'm in high demand. Scott you've done this before. I'm sure you can show your lovely companion the ropes." And with that Marty left the two of them alone.

"Deidre," Scott said.

"What?" She asked turning to face him. As soon as she did he blew flour from his hands into her face. She glared at him. "That was not funny. You got flour in my hair!" He just laughed. “It’s a good thing I have an appointment Monday morning.” Deidre said.

They continued to knead the dough for a while. Then Deidre got the urge for payback. As Scott concentrated on working the pizza dough, she picked up a pile of flour and poured it into his hair. "There, now we're even."

Scott shook his head and caused the flour to fly everywhere. He smirked at Deidre. “You decided to take a while before you exacted your revenge.”

Deidre shrugged her shoulders and smiled sweetly.

"I think its time we try tossing the dough in the air." Scott suggested.

"And you know how to do this?"

"Of course. Watch and learn." Scott threw the dough into the air and began to make it into a circle, just like the professionals.

"You continue to amaze me Scott Walker." Deidre said. She watched as the shape of the pizza began to show. When he was done, he placed it back onto the work area and got out the sauce.

"Even you can do this Deidre." Scott said showing her how to spread the sauce. After he finished his demonstration, he handed the ladle to Deidre who mimicked his earlier actions.

Deidre looked up from what she was doing. "Aren't you going to do something?" She asked seeing that he was just watching her.

"Yeah watch you cook?" He smiled.

Deidre stuck her tongue out just as Scott snapped a picture. Her playful look turned to one of shock and embarrassment. "You will erase that picture." She knew that she looked a mess. Her hair had fallen out of place and she had flour all over her.

"Nope, not gonna' happen. See I want to keep this as black mail." Scott said as he put the camera away.

After they finished making the pizza and eating the two headed back to Deidre's apartment. When they parked on the ferry, they both got out of the car.

Deidre leaned over the railing and looked out at the water, while Scott had his back to the water and was playing with the camera. He smiled as he flipped through the pictures.

"What are you smiling at?"

"This," Scott showed Deidre the picture he had taken of her in the pizzeria kitchen.

"Hey let me see."

"No way, you are just going to erase it. Then what will I use for black mail?" Scott asked holding the camera out of her reach.

"Scott Walker you will give me the camera." She said snatching it out of his hand.

"Hey, that's mine."

"My god Scott you sound like a four year old." She said as she tried to find the picture again.

When Deidre looked up she saw Scott smirking. She quickly placed her hands behind her back in an effort to keep the camera away from him. It worked up until he decided to kiss her. Deidre felt his lips crash onto hers and she was surprised. She easily gave in and found herself kissing back.

It was not until they separated for air that Deidre realized exactly what Scott had done. She saw it in the smirk on his face. Kissing her was a distraction. While she was lost in the moment, Scott had taken the camera out of her hands.

Damn him and his distracting lips, Deidre thought. "That was not …" She was interrupted by his lips on hers for a second time. His hands on her waist, Scott pulled her closer. Deidre, forgetting about the unflattering picture on Scott’s camera, became completely immersed in her tongue-war with Scott. She slipped her hands around his neck. Ignoring the stairs of other passengers, Deidre and Scott made out until the ferry docked on the other side.