Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The day after Deidre caught Scott and Natalie in his apartment Deidre avoided them both like the plague. Avoiding Natalie was not hard because the pediatrician spent the entirety of her day at the conference. Scott, on the other hand was a different story. Deidre had her assistant move meetings around to give her a full schedule.

By lunch, Deidre was getting tired of playing her game of avoiding Scott. She feigned sick and had her assistant redirect her calls to her cell phone. Deidre James went home to think. She considered calling her twin brother, Aaron. But Deidre knew that if she called him and explained what happened chaos would ensue. Deidre smiled at the thought that Aaron James would take the first flight from O'Hare to kill any man who dared to hurt his sister, be it physically or emotionally.

Putting her purse and jacket away, Deidre began to wind down. After taking a shower and ordering takeout, she listened to the messages on her voice mail:

"Hey sis, its me I wanted to know if you still plan on bringing your boyfriend this Christmas. Just call and let me know. Love you."

Beep.

"Deidre, its Emi. You really should talk to Scott. That's all I have to say. Bye."

Beep.

"Deidre, we need to talk. I know nothing I can say right now will get through to you but I at least have to try. Give me a call when you're ready. Bye."

Deidre rolled her eyes at Scott's message. She refused to give into her heart, and rather listened to her head. She erased Scott's message as well as Emi's, but left her brother's on the machine.

 

Another few days went by and Deidre still had not spoke with Scott. Her conversations with Emi avoided the topic altogether.

Around the hospital, people could tell something was going on with the usually cheerful plastic surgeon. And so could Natalie Bishop when she came to the hospital to say goodbye. Natalie decided to talk to Deidre

Close to lunch, Natalie found Deidre sitting alone at a table flipping through case files.

"Ms. James." Natalie said.

"Dr. Bishop." Deidre did not look up from what she was doing to acknowledge the doctor.

"Can I sit down?"

"I don't see why not."

Natalie sat down and looked at her hands for a few minuets. For some odd reason, she felt like she was back in high school. After gathering her thoughts, Natalie sat up straight. "Look Deidre, I need to apologize to you."

"Excuse me?" Deidre said looking up from what she was doing.

"I didn't know that Scott was, and still is, in love with you."

"So he didn't tell you he was seeing anyone."

"No he told me."

"So you just chose to ignore him. That's great." Deidre picked up her files and began to walk away.

Natalie followed her. "Deidre, you really don't understand do you?"

Deidre stopped and turned around. "What is there to understand? I walked in on the man I love making out with you."

Natalie looked around before she walked up to Deidre to explain herself. "First of all, we were not making out. Before I left, it didn't matter if Scott was in a relationship or not, we would still sleep together. I didn't think it would be any different now, but apparently it is. Above everything else, I consider Scott a friend."

"One you just happen to sleep with any chance you get."

"The sex never meant anything, it was just good sex." At that moment an old women passed by and looked at the two women and shook her head. Natalie looked down. "I would never intentionally hurt Scott like that. I know I've ruined his relationships in the past, but what you two obviously share is different. He loves you and you just said you feel the same way. Don't let my stupid mistake come between the two of you. Scott did ask me to leave several times. He didn't respond when I kissed him, in fact I'm pretty sure he was trying to push me away."

"Why are you telling me this?" Deidre asked.

"Because Scott is my friend and he deserves to be incredibly happy, and I have a feeling that he is when he's with you."

The two stood in silence; both of them trying to gage what had just been said. Deidre was pulled out of her daze by her vibrating phone. After checking the message it displayed, she looked back up to Natalie, "I've got to go." She then turned around leaving the pediatric surgeon standing alone outside of the cafeteria.

 

After she read the text message and put out a few fires, Deidre went up to the roof to think. She looked out at the Seattle skyline. She had grown to love the city and everything about it, including the rain. She pushed her hair out of her face and turned around to leave. "Scott," Deidre said surprised to see him there.

"Deidre."

"What are you doing up here?"

"Looking for you," he said taking a step closer.

"And you knew I'd be up here how?"

"I ran into Emi and asked her where you were."

"I will kill her one day."

"That could be considered premeditated murder." Scott joked.

Deidre rolled her eyes, "It is."

"Can we talk?" Scott asked.

"Here? Now?"

"Yeah, now's as good a time as any."

Deidre nodded her head.

"Nothing happened the other night with Natalie. I could never hurt you like that, having an affair. What we have means too much to me. I hope you know that. I've told you before and I'll tell you until it registers. I. Love. You."

"I know. I love you too."

"What?" Scott asked surprised.

Before Deidre could respond, her phone vibrated once again. "I've got to take this. Perhaps we could finish this over drinks at Solomon's you're paying." Deidre said as she walked toward the door back inside.

"Why is it that I always have to pay?" Scott yelled.

Deidre turned around, smiled and shrugged her shoulders. Scott put his hands in his pockets, and watched her leave. After he had stood on the roof by himself for a few minuets, Scott smiled and made his way inside as well; the woman was full of surprises. One day, I will marry her. Scott thought to himself