Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

It was a week before Christmas and Deidra was out shopping. She hated shopping, especially for Christmas gifts; she never knew what to get. Standing in the mall, she looked around at all of the different stores and shook her head.

"Are you just going to stand there, or are we going to do our Christmas shopping?" Emi asked as she walked up next to Deidra.

"What do you buy a newborn for Christmas?" Deidra asked as the two friends walked in the direction of one of the department stores.

"Is it a boy or a girl?"

"A boy, Matthew Aaron James."

"You could get a blanket, clothes, or little toys or something like that." Emi suggested.

"I guess."

"You should get him a blanket and have his initials embroidered on it."

"Are you serious? That would require me to stop at more than one place."

"Deidra, it wouldn't take that long. Besides he's your only nephew; I don't see why you can't make an effort to make his gift special."

Deidra rolled her eyes at the comment. "Don't get me wrong, I love my brother, and Beth and I are closer than sisters, but I don't do children well. I'm sure I'll love the little guy, but I can tell you he won't want to spend a week with Aunt Deidra any time soon."

"You say that now. Have you gotten your brother something yet?"

"I got him a book."

"Really, what's the name of it?"

"Congratulations, You're a Daddy!"

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, we always get each other a kind of gag gift. I got Beth a gift certificate to her favorite spa. I got my mom a new digital camera and my Dad a new camcorder. I have a feeling they will be taking a lot of pictures now that Matt's decided to grace the family with his presence."

"So that only leaves Scott. Do you know what you're getting him?"

"No, do you know what you're getting Miguel?"

"How sad would it be if I bought him a shirt and tie?"

"It would be worse than the book I got for Aaron."

"Does he like sports?"

"Football, baseball, tennis, basketball."

"Does he like watching old games he's seen before?"

"All the time. I don't understand men and their need to see a game from ten years ago; they already know the outcome."

"Seriously Emi? It is not about the outcome, but about the process by which the team wins or looses. The good ones become classics." Deidra explained.

"Are you a closet sports fanatic?"

"I've never hidden the fact that I like sports, you just never asked." Deidra smiled. "You should get Miguel a set of DVDs that has some of the greatest games ever played. You can find it on the internet."

"That is actually a good idea."

"All of my ideas are good."

As they walked past a jewelry store, Emi stopped.

"Why are we stopping?"

Ignoring Deidra's question, Emi walked into the store and up to one of the cases. Frustrated, Deidra walked into the store as well and lazily made her way over to where Emi was leaning over the glass and peering into the case.

"Why did we stop here?" Deidra asked.

"Because, you should get Scott a watch."

"Why?"

"Because it's a nice gift and I hardly ever see him wearing one."

Shrugging her shoulders, Deidra looked into the case as well and looked at the different watches. One in particular caught her eye. It was a simple stainless steel watch with diamond accents on a black dial made by Bulova. It was expensive, but that didn't really matter, when you are a lawyer at the top of your game, you could afford to by an expensive watch for your boyfriend. "Do you see that one?" Deidra asked pointing to the watch that had caught her eye.

"Yeah, that's nice. Are you going to buy that one for him?"

"I think so. Do you think Scott will like it?"

"He'll like it. What I find interesting is that you're going to spend more on your boyfriend than your mother, brother, sister-in-law and nephew combined."

"Does it matter?"

"I'm just saying."

"Right you're just saying what?" Deidra asked.

"Nothing."

After paying for the watch, Deidra and Emi went back out into the mall. "I think it is time we do some shopping for us."

"Do we really have to? I'm tired and I have a lot of paperwork to catch up on before we leave for Chicago tomorrow."

"Deidra, you're always so boring."

Deidra rolled her eyes and continued walking through the mall. "Whatever you say Emi."

The next morning came faster than Deidra expected it. She stayed up the entire night packing and finishing paperwork. Sound asleep on the couch, Deidra did not hear the door open, nor did she hear Scott come in. He walked up to the sleeping lawyer and watched her for a few moments before he proceeded to gather her suitcase, which Deidra left by the door the night before. After Scott returned to the apartment, he sat down on the edge of the sofa.

"Sleepy head, we have a plane to catch." He said as he gently shook her shoulder.

As she turned over she squinted her eyes to the light. Deidra looked at him confused. "Why are you here so early?"

"It's not early Deidra. We have a plane to catch and we need to be at the airport in an hour. That gives you thirty minutes to shower and get ready. So I suggest you get moving," Scott smiled as he got up.

"What?" Deidra jumped off the couch and ran into her bedroom.

Exactly thirty minuets after she disappeared into the bathroom, Deidra emerged refreshed from her bedroom. "I'm ready."

Scott and Deidra's plane landed on time. They were waiting for their luggage in the baggage claim area when a man walked up behind them. "D," he said. Deidra jumped at the voice and turned around with a smile on her face.

"A, hey. How are you?" Deidra said hugging the man with hazel eyes who was also a few inches shorter than Scott.

"I'm good. So glad you're here. Is this the guy?" He asked pointing to Scott.

Deidra rolled her eyes. "Yes, Aaron this is Scott Walker, Scott this is my brother,"

"Older brother," Aaron smiled.

Deidra rolled her eyes, "My twin brother Aaron."

"Nice to meet you," Scott said extending his hand.

"I'd say the same but you're here with my baby sister so I hate you already." Aaron said shaking Scott's hand.

"Aaron, please. Don't be such an ass. I am not you're baby sister. Just because you came out five minuets before I did, does not make me you're baby sister."

"It's okay Deidra. I understand. Hannah has not introduced me to any of her boyfriends since her senior prom when I broke her date's nose."

"So you understand where I'm coming from. I'm sure you're a nice guy and all, but as you know it's apart of the big brother code." Aaron said.

"I understand completely."

"I can't believe this. You two are bonding over the fact that you," she said pointing to Aaron, "hate him? Huh." Deidra laughed and went to the conveyor belt. "Scott there's your bag."

After they successfully retrieved their luggage, Aaron drove back to his house. "This is my humble abode." He said as he pulled into the driveway. Waiting outside on the front porch was Beth. She waved as they all got out of the car.

"Deidra hey, your parents are inside," Beth said as she walked down to greet her guests.

"That's good to know. How've you been Beth?" Deidra asked as she hugged her sister-in-law.

"Better since I've had Matt. It's just so amazing; he brings me so much joy. It's hard to believe that only a few months ago he wasn't here for the world to see." She said. Beth had a huge smile on her face and her dark brown eyes portrayed her friendly nature.

"That's great to hear. Beth this is Scott, Scott Beth." Deidra said introducing the two.

"Hello," Scott said extending her hand.

"Hi, you're hot," Beth said bluntly.

"Thank you," Scott gave her a charming smile.

"Deidra he's hot."

"Yeah, don't encourage him; you're only making his ego bigger." Deidra pulled her bag behind her as she headed to the house. Scott followed close behind.

Aaron looked at his wife, "are you serious?" He asked amused.

"What, the man is hot. Give him credit where credit is due. But you know what?"

"What?"

"You are, so much sexier than the man candy that just walked into our house, not as tall. But definitely sexier." Beth said as she wrapped her arms around her husband's waist.

"Nice try Beth."

"I'm being completely sincere," she said as they followed Scott and Deidra into the house.

Stepping into the foyer, Scott and Deidra looked around. Before they could move any further into the house, a short woman with long hair and warm brown eyes stepped in front of them. "Deidra," she said pulling her into a hug.

"Hi mom,"

"And you must be Scott. I'm Leonora James." She took Scott into a hug as well.

"Nice to meet you Mrs. James." Scott said returning the hug.

"Please, call me Nora everyone else does. Why are you two just standing there? Aaron, don't be rude; show your sister and Scott to their room." Nora instructed, after Aaron and Beth came inside.

Aaron did as he was told and took his guests upstairs to the guest room. After settling in, Scott and Deidra went back downstairs where Beth was playing with the baby and Nora was wrapping a gift. "So Scott, Deidra tells me you are a plastic surgeon." Nora said looking up as the two entered the room.

"Yes I am. It can be very rewarding." Scott sat down on the empty sofa, and Deidra sat next to him.

"I'm sure it can be. Tell me about your family." Nora said after she finished wrapping the gift and placed it under the tree.

"My parents are divorced. I don't talk to my dad or his wife. I have a step brother who has three children and a half sister—she recently moved to Seattle." Scott said.

"Why don't you talk with your father?"

"Mom, please can we talk about something else?" Deidra said annoyed already with her mother's questions.

"It's alright Deidra. We just don't get along and haven't for a while."

"I see."

The four of them sat in silence. Scott was contemplating his non-existent relationship with his father while Nora thought of something else to say to start a new conversation. Beth sat on the floor playing with Matthew, who was lying on a blanket. Deidra watched as Beth walked her fingers up the baby's stomach and made faces at him. Deidra had always been fascinated by adults' interaction with babies. They seemed to regress from acting as an adult and revert to behaving as a child in the presence of the youngsters.

Michael James stood off in the corner watching the goings on of the living room. He observed his daughter-in-law playing with his grandson. He smiled at his wife, who looked as if she was deep in thought. When he looked over to his daughter, he was not as pleased. Michael knew that his baby girl was bringing home her boyfriend, but Deidre’s boyfriend was not what he was expecting. The fact that Scott was white did not bother him so much, although it did not help matters either. Michael could tell that Dr. Scott Walker was that guy; the type of man he constantly warned Deidra about when she was younger. Much to his disappointment, with one look, Michael could tell that his daughter's boyfriend was the type of guy who cared little about a woman's feelings. The man sitting next Deidra was a heart breaker. And it was obvious from her constant glances and few witticisms that she was in love with said heartbreaker. Michael was not pleased.