Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

At six foot two, Michael James was a tall man. Nora looked up feeling the eyes of her husband resting on her. His presence commanded attention in part because he was taller than everyone else present. He walked into the room.

"Michael," Nora said. "Why don't you come sit down?"

The James family patriarch did as suggested and sat in the armchair across from where Deidre sat with Scott. The two were now engaged in a conversation. Michael grimaced at the couple. "Deidre, I'm glad to see you made it in alright. How was your flight?"

"Thanks dad. The flight was fairly routine. We took off, flew and landed."

"How's work going?" Michael asked. He felt the best way to deal with his daughter's boyfriend was to not acknowledge his presence.

"Work is good. Dad, this is Scott. He’s a surgeon at the hospital I work at." Deidre said, after recognizing her father's tactic. He had used it many times before and it annoyed the hell out of her. It was best to introduce the two before it wound up out of hand.

"Scott, I'm Michael James."

"Nice to meet you sir." Scott said as he began to stand and shake the older man's hand; however, Michael stared at the usually confident doctor making him feel uncomfortable as he sat back down in his seat.

"You're a doctor."

"Yes sir, I'm a plastic surgeon."

"So you operate on vain wealthy people then."

"On occasion, yes I do. But my patients usually have suffered or are suffering from something. One child I operated on didn't have ears; another woman had her face ripped off in a terrible accident." Scott explained.

"Hmph." Michael folded his arms and puffed out his chest as he leaned back in his chair.

"So, Deidre sweetheart, have you finished your shopping? You know there's less than a week before Christmas." Nora said trying to steer the attention away from her husband's dissatisfaction with their Christmas guest.

"Actually, I got it all done yesterday."

"Really? I thought you hate shopping." Beth commented.

"I do."

"And you got it all accomplished in one day?" Beth asked in disbelief.

"Yeah I figured best to do it all at once. You remember Emi right? Well, she dragged me out to make sure I got it all done. Now I just have to wrap them." Deidre explained.

"Do you have your shopping done Scott?" Beth asked.

"For the most part I do. I sent my nephews and my niece gift cards, and my step-brother got a gift card as well. My sister on the other hand is getting a book."

"You bought Hannah a book? Really Scott? She’s not a child. I don’t think she’ll appreciate that much." Deidre said.

"What, I can't take a page from you?"

"What book did you get her?"

"How to be a Nun Without Actually Being a Nun."

"There is actually a book with that title? Wow, you can sell anything these days." Beth said standing up with Matthew in her arms.

"Why did you get her that particular book?" Deidre asked.

"She's my baby sister, you do the math."

Deidre shook her head. "Sometimes I wonder how on earth you became one of the top plastic surgeons in the country." She stood up and followed Beth out of the room.

Scott watched her leave and then turned his head back around to find Nora standing up as well. "I'm going to go chat with the girls." She walked over to her husband and leaned down to whisper in his ear. "Michael dear, please be nice to the man. I think she actually loves him." She kissed him on the forehead before leaving the room.

"So," Michael said staring Scott down. "What exactly do you expect to get from your relationship with my daughter?"

Scott was startled. He had not expected the man to be as straightforward as he was. But then again he was Deidre's father. "I eh… I," he stuttered. Scott knew very well what his intentions were; he just was not quite sure how to express them.

"Did Deidre tell you that I’m a retired Navy Seal?" Michael asked.

Scott shook his head, "Uh, no sir," he was not liking where this conversation was headed.

"My Deidre is very important to me. She's smart, tough and sometimes likes to be just one of the guys; but when it comes to her heart, she can be as sensitive as any other woman. I know your type. I know Deidre knows your type, why she chose to date you I have no idea. But if you hurt her in any way, I can guarantee that you will never be able to perform any surgery again because of severe paralysis from your neck down."

"Well sir, my intentions are not to hurt her."

Michael raised an eyebrow and stared down the man sitting across from him. "Men like you never intend to hurt women, you just do. You take what you want from women and leave them left to pick up the pieces of their lives by themselves."

"I like to think that I'm not that kind of man anymore."

"It's hard for men like you to change." Michael stated.

"I have changed. I've fallen in love with your daughter. I know I'm not perfect but if she'll say yes I will marry her." Scott explained.

Michael was stunned. When he walked into the room earlier, he could tell that his only daughter was in love with the man she brought home. But never would he have guessed that the feeling was mutual. This was new for him. His daughter was not your standard high-strung beauty that hooked up with guys like Scott Walker, the man sitting in his living room. Deidre had brains as well as looks, and apparently Scott appreciated the combination. "Well then. Is that your way of asking for my daughter's hand in marriage?"

It was Scott's turn to be shocked. "Well, I'd hoped to be in your good graces when I asked but if that's how you want to see it then yes, I am asking permission to ask Deidre to marry me."

"To be completely honest Dr. Walker, the fact is that I don't like you. Maybe by the end of the holiday I will feel differently. But for right now, you do not have my blessing in your endeavors to marry my daughter." With that Michael stood up and left Scott sitting alone in the living room.

As he sat there, Scott contemplated the conversation he had with Michael James. But before he could come to any kind of conclusion, Deidre walked into the room interrupting his thoughts.

"Hey," she said trying to capture his attention.

"Hey."

"Did my dad give you the 'I'll kill you if you hurt her' speech?" Deidre asked sitting down next to Scott.

"Yeah something like that."

"Don't worry about it, its standard procedure, that and I don't usually bring people home for the holidays. Come on dinner's ready."

It was a few of days into their Chicago visit and the situation between Scott and Deidre’s father had not progressed. Scott was unsure how to change the older and intimidating man’s mind.

Just after breakfast, Deidre and Scott were sitting alone on the heated screen porch in a comfortable silence.

“I want to cook dinner for your family.” Scott said.

“That’s not going to change his mind.” Deidre said referring to her father. Between the comments and looks Michael sent Scott’s way, the tension between the two was palpable.

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” Scott said feigning ignorance.

“You can’t win my dad over with food.”

“I’m not trying to win anyone over with food. I just felt like I should share some of my talents with your family. Your mother and sister-in-law have made dinner both nights we’ve been here. I think they should take a break don’t you?”

Deidre rolled her eyes. Before she could verbally respond, the door to the porch opened. Beth, Aaron and Nora joined the couple.

“So this is where you two went off to.” Beth said sitting down at the table.

“What are you guys doing out here any way?” Aaron asked eyeing his sister’s boyfriend.

“We were talking. Where’s dad and the baby?” Deidre asked.

“You know your father. He tries to pull off this super bad, tough man act, but as soon as he holds baby Matthew he melts completely.” Nora explained.

“Yes, D. Our father is such a proud grandpa when it comes to his grandson.” Aaron said.

“Babe, do you remember when we told him it was going to be a boy?” Beth asked laughing at the memory.

“Yes, vividly. He was so excited to have someone carryon the family name. He walked around saying, ‘I’ve got to teach the boy how to be a James; how to properly carryon the family name.’ I asked him why I couldn’t be the one to teach my son how to ‘be a James’ and ‘carryon the family name.’ He came back and told me that was a grandfather’s job. I just left it at that.” Aaron recalled.

“You know you’re father was just excited to finally have a grandchild.” Nora said.

“Mom, you act like we’re so old.” Deidre laughed.

“Well, you are dear. By your age we had nine-year-old twins running around who believed they controlled the house.”

Beth shook her head and leaned forward in her chair. “The real reason we were looking for you is that Nora and I were thinking we should go out to one of the city's better restaurants for dinner. How does that sound?”

“Actually,” Scott said. “I was thinking I should make dinner for you all tonight.”

Beth sat back, crossed her arms and smiled while Nora tilted her head.

“Really? You want to cook for us?” Nora asked.

“If the two of you ladies don’t mind.”

“No, no go right ahead.” Nora said approvingly.

“Yes, check the kitchen to make sure you have everything you need. If not make a list and we can go out in about an hour.”

“I’ll go do that now,” Scott said getting up from where he was sitting and leaving the room.

After the screen door slammed, Beth grinned and spoke up. “He’s hot and he cooks? Damn Deidre where did you find this one?”

“Once again Beth, I’m sitting right here.” Aaron said.

“I know sweetie, but you don’t cook.”

Deidre smiled at her family members.

Later in the day, Deidre sat at the table and watched as Scott prepped the ingredients for the meal.

“I still don’t understand how you can prepare such fabulous tasting dinners, but you can’t cook a decent breakfast.” Deidre laughed.

Scott shook his head, “in my family breakfast wasn’t as big of a deal as dinner. Are you going to just sit there?”

“I like just watching you cook.” Deidre admitted.

Scott laughed, “what you mean is you like to eat my ingredients while I’m trying to prepare a dish.”

“I can’t help it if a few carrots or some broccoli sprouts go missing. It’s not my fault.” Deidre said standing up and walking over to where he was standing. She stood next to him. “What is it that you need me to do?”

“Can you peel those potatoes? You’ll have to do it with a knife because I didn’t see a peeler.” Scott instructed.

“I think I can do that.”

Walking past the kitchen, Nora spotted her husband spying on Deidre and Scott. Changing directions, she came up next to him and gently placed her hand on his arm.

“Michael, what do you think you’re doing?” Nora asked.

Slightly startled, Michael jumped. “I’m not doing a thing.”

“Well, it looks to me like you are spying on our daughter and her boyfriend.”

“I’m well within my rights to stand here by the doorway to get a glimpse of what is going on in the kitchen,” Michael said.

“Shit,” Deidre yelped just as Nora was about to say something.

Both Michael and Nora turned their heads to see what was going on.

Scott stopped what he was doing and looked over to his girlfriend who had abruptly stopped peeling potatoes.

“Are you okay?” Scott asked concerned.

Deidre held her hand up for him to see; “I may have just sliced my hand trying to peel those damn potatoes you insisted on making from scratch.”

Scott put down the spoon he was using to stir the sauce and walked over to Deidre. He took her bleeding hand in his and looked at the wound. “Good work Deidre.” Scott said teasingly.

“If you’re going to make fun of me,” Deidre said trying to pull her hand out of Scott’s. But he just held on tighter.

“Okay. I won’t make fun just stop, moving so I can take a look.”

Just outside the door, unbeknownst to either of the kitchen’s occupants, Michael and Nora stood watching the moment unfold.

“He wants to marry her you know.” Michael said watching something happen between his daughter and the man she brought home for the holidays.

“I would say that’s a good thing dear.” Nora said. “You have to let her go, she’s a grown-up and she can make her own decisions.”

“I don’t want my baby girl to get hurt.”

“From the looks of it Michael, she’s in good hands. Besides how boring would life be if people never took risks; if they never took a chance that they may get hurt. Isn’t love worth it?” Nora asked.

Michael looked away from his wife and back to his daughter in the kitchen. Scott had cleaned up the cut and put a bandage on it. Deidre leaned on the counter with a smile on her face. Scott said something, and Deidre rolled her eyes. But even from the doorway, Michael could see the glint in her eyes.

“I think maybe you should talk to your daughter.” Nora suggested. She stood on her toes and kissed her husband on the cheek before continuing what she was doing originally.

Dinner went off without a hitch. Everyone enjoyed Scott’s meal. The next morning Michael decided to take his wife’s advice and talk to his daughter. He found her sitting alone reading a book in the house’s breakfast nook.

“Good morning Deidre.” Michael said sitting down.

Deidre smiled at her father. “Good morning Daddy.”

They sat in silence for a few minutes before either said anything else.

“You don’t like Scott do you?” Deidre asked.

“No, I don’t. He’s not the kind of man I would have picked for my daughter, and before you say anything it’s not because he’s white. You’re too good for him Deidre.”

“Daddy, this is my decision. I love him.”

“I can tell.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

“Why him Deidre?”

“Because he’s my best friend and he knows me. Scott makes me laugh; he knows how to calm me down when I’m pissed off. He’s not afraid to call me on my shit. He likes my quirks and he gets my sarcasm. And most importantly he loves me. So the question I have for you daddy is: why not him?” Upset about her father questioning her choices, Deidre stood up and left Michael to sit by himself.

The next evening was Christmas Eve. The women and baby Matthew were already in bed. Michael watched, from an overstuffed armchair in the corner, Scott and Aaron as they sat up late into the night talking about everything from the best fishing techniques to the perfect barbeque sauce. Since his conversation with Deidre, Michael began to see Scott differently. While he still disapproved of the type of man Scott was, Michael could not deny that Scott Walker loved his daughter. Throughout the week he had watched the interactions between the two of them, but he was only just beginning to notice the deep friendship they shared as well as a mutual respect for the other. As much as he hated to admit it, Dr. Scott Walker was not as bad a man as Michael first perceived. Begrudgingly, Michael was beginning to accept him.

"Well, I'm heading in for the night; I'll see you in the morning. Be ready early so we can make breakfast." Michael said as he left the room.

Scott turned and looked at Aaron, "Breakfast?"

"It's a family tradition. On Christmas morning the men, dad and I, make breakfast for the ladies before we open presents. I think as Matt gets older that tradition will change slightly, but for right now it's still the same." Aaron explained.

"I see. Well you should know that my signature breakfast dish is cereal and milk. For some reason gourmet dinners and lunch are no brainers for me. But breakfast is one meal I can’t get the hang of. If you catch me on a good day, my oatmeal is to die for, instant of course."

"Really, we might have to introduce you to the fine art of breakfast making then won't we." Aaron said standing up. "I'm heading in, you should too if you want to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for our kitchen fiasco tomorrow morning."

"Thanks for the advice." Scott stood up made his way to his own sleeping quarters.

In the morning the men prepared a breakfast of waffles, bacon, fruit and fresh squeezed orange juice. The ladies sat down and began to devour their meal.

"So, Scott what did you make?" Deidre asked, knowing that her boyfriend could only prepare two breakfast dishes well: cereal and oatmeal.

Scott smirked, "I squeezed the orange juice."

"Of course you did." Deidre said.

"Aaron, you didn't teach him the finer points of bacon making?" Beth asked. Aaron rolled his eyes.

"My husband has never let Aaron make the waffles since he burnt them a few years ago." Nora explained.

"He was trying to impress me, it was my first time meeting everyone and it was a holiday."

"I see." Scott said taking a sip of orange juice.

"I don't know about you but I'm ready to open presents." Aaron exclaimed standing up from the table. "I'll go get Matthew from the nursery so we can get started."

"Aaron doesn't like to talk about that Christmas," Deidre said after her brother left. "Everything he did to try to impress Beth back fired. I was surprised she agreed to marry him after that."

"What can I say? When you're in love, it doesn't matter how bad the food tastes or how stupid he acts, nothing will turn you off." Beth smiled.

Deidre rolled her eyes at the sappiness of her sister-in-law's comment, "That may be true for you, but I call Scott on all his shit." She smiled.

Beth laughed, "Of course you do Deidre, and you wouldn't be you if you didn't."

After everyone finally got up from the table and put their dishes in the kitchen, they went into the living room where the tree was standing in front of the window with gifts piled underneath. The family began unwrapping gifts and thanking each other for their presents. By the time they finished it was time for lunch and everyone was tired as well as hungry. Beth and Nora went to begin cooking dinner while Deidre and Scott remained in the living room, cleaning up the mess from the discarded wrapping paper.

"This was fun." Scott smiled at Deidre. "I really like this watch, it must have been a fortune."

"Consider it your valentine's day gift as well. Thanks for the earring and necklace set."

"It was nothing."

"Did Hannah help you pick it out?"

"Does it matter?" Scott asked.

"No, not really. But she called me while I was in the bathroom to see if I liked your gift."

"She really spoils everything." Scott joked.

"That's what sisters do and you love them for it."

"You're right."

"I know. I'm always right Scott. When are you going to get that through your head?" Deidre asked as she smiled at him.

"Your self confidence is one of the many things I love about you." Scott said standing up.

"I know." Deidre reached out her hand and Scott pulled her up off the floor. "I believe that this mess has been properly taken care of. I'm going to help mom and Beth with dinner." Deidre kissed Scott before she left the room.

"What was that for?" He asked.

All Deidre did was point her finger in the air and then continued her path out of the living room and into the kitchen.

Scott looked up and saw the mistletoe hanging in the middle of the living room.

As Deidre left, Aaron entered. "You can just put the bags in the garage for now."

"Do you always make a habit of hanging mistletoe anywhere?" Scott asked as he followed Aaron to the garage with a trash bag in hand.

"That is all Beth's idea…"

Unbeknownst to any of the previous occupants of the living room, Michael had stood in the corner watching the entire scene unfold. He sighed in defeat. His daughter was in love and the man loved her back. There would be no talking her out of this relationship. At that moment, Michael realized he was not sure he wanted to. Aside from the obvious standard father's dislike for daughter's boyfriend, there was nothing else for Michael to hate about Scott Walker. The man had proved himself a worthy, although somewhat cocky, person to be with his daughter.