Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter is probably least like the original. In fact the only thing that is the same is the fact that it's New Year's.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

It was December 31st, New Years Eve, and Scott was on call. Since he was out of town for Christmas and Thanksgiving, Scott volunteered to work on New Years Eve. Now he was regretting his decision. The eve of December 31st happened to be one of those nights when all the normally rational and responsible people of the city decided to lose all home training and go crazy. For Scott, the evening was filled with back-to-back surgeries. He had hoped to get off a little early so he could spend the rest of the night with Deidre, but that did not look like it was going to be a possibility.

Earlier in the day, Deidre received a call from her mentee, Jessica Collins. Since her arrival in Seattle a year ago, Deidre worked with a local organization that set up young female law students with a female lawyer. The intent of the program was to allow the students to have access to a mentor in their field, someone who could help guide them in the right direction.

Deidre and Jessica hit it off from their first meeting. Jessica immediately admired her new mentor’s drive and tenacity, while Deidre was in awe of the young woman who was just over four months pregnant and who planned on continuing law school after the baby’s birth in May. Over the past year, Deidre began to consider Jessica more like a little sister than just someone she was mentoring.

Jessica called Deidre in desperate need of a babysitter for her seven-month-old daughter, Rachel. She had asked Deidre if she was available, and because Deidre had no other plans for the evening, she agreed to watch the little girl.

Around 8:30 in the evening, Jessica knocked on Deidre’s door.

“Come on in.” Deidre said allowing both mother and daughter into her apartment.

Jessica stepped into the room, and her daughter Rachel immediately reached for Deidre.

Deidre took the child out of her mother’s arms and tickled her tummy, “Hi there, Rachel.” She said before looking up at Jessica. “So, big plans for the night?”

“Yes, I’m going out. One of the girls in my study group is having a New Year’s Eve bash. You know I don’t get out much so I really wanted to take this opportunity and spend it with friends.” Jessica explained putting her daughter’s baby bag on the sofa and putting the port-a-crib she managed to carry up by herself in the corner.

“Why aren’t you out with Scott tonight? I would think the two of you would want to spend the evening together since it is your first New Year’s.” Jessica said sitting down.

Deidre followed suit and sat down. Rachel however, was not too keen on the idea and began to get fussy. So instead of sitting the baby on her lap, Deidre allowed the little girl to stand up facing her mother.

“Scott is working. He felt like since he did not work the Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday, he should at least be on call for New Year’s Eve.”

“Really? Who needs a plastic surgeon on New Year’s Eve?”

“Idiots don’t take a break from being stupid because it’s a holiday.” Deidre said.

Jessica laughed, “What are you talking about.”

“I’m sure there are plenty of bizarre disfiguring accidents that are going to happen tonight which require the services of a plastic surgeon.”

“Sometimes I wonder about you,” Jessica said standing up. “I should get going.”

Deidre stood up as well. Jessica walked over and kissed her daughter’s forehead, “Be good for Auntie Deidre okay.” She instructed the baby.

Rachel giggled and grabbed Jessica’s earring.

“Okay, no Rachel. That’s mommy’s.” She said.

Deidre laughed as she walked Jessica to the door. “Have a good time and a couple of drinks for me as well.” Deidre said.

“I will, and thanks again for watching her.”

“Not a problem Jess. We’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight.” Jessica waved and walked out of the door.

“Okay kid,” Deidre said to the baby seriously. “It’s just you and me tonight. What should we get into first?”

By 11:30 things began to slow down a bit, so after Scott finished his last surgery, he decided to take off. Instead of going straight home, he went to Deidre’s apartment to see how her evening of babysitting was going. He arrived shortly after midnight to find Deidre asleep in her bedroom. She was lying on her side facing the television that was currently playing the credits of a children’s movie. Using Deidre’s stomach for support, Rachel sat playing with a stuffed toy.

Scott stood in the doorway appreciating the scene before he went over to Rachel and picked her up. “Hey there Ray, did you wear out your Aunt Deidre? And why are you awake?” He turned off the TV and went to Deidre’s living room where she set up the port-a-crib Jessica left.

The next morning Deidre awoke to an empty bed. Hearing the TV in the other room, she made her way toward the sound. Scott was sitting on the floor with a couple of Rachel’s stuffed animals attempting to explain the finer points of football.

“Now this is the running back,” Scott said taking the stuffed bunny rabbit in one hand. “The quarter back throws the ball to the running back and his job is to…”

“Scott, what are you doing, and when did you get here?” Deidre said sitting on the couch.

“I came over last night just after midnight. When I went into your room Rachel was still up so I put her in her bed thingy over there.” Scott said using the makeshift running back to point to the port-a-crib.

“Okay, and you still didn’t answer my first question.”

“I’m teaching Rachel about football. Every child, boy or girl, needs to understand the basics of football.”

Deidre shook her head and went to pick up Rachel, “Scott, she’s seven months. I think it’s a little early to teach her about football. Besides, Jessica already said she’s grooming Rachel to be a soccer star like Mia Hamm.”

“And you think me trying to teach her a little bit about football is ridiculous?” He asked following Deidre into the kitchen.

“Well, Jessica’s her mother and she can teach Rachel whatever she wants.” Deidre said as she opened the refrigerator with one hand to get out a container of baby food.

“You know, Jess is an unbelievable young woman. She’s in her second year of law school, working part-time and taking care of her seven-month-old baby. How the hell does she find time to make homemade baby food?” Scott asked opening the container Deidre put on the counter.

Rachel giggled and clapped her hands.

“Language, Scott.” Deidre scolded.

Scott shook his head as he opened the refrigerator and grabbed the orange juice. “What time is Jessica supposed to be coming by to get Rachel?”

“I told her to come by whenever she’s ready. I have no plans.” Deidre said. “Okay Rachel open wide.”

Scott watched as Deidre fed Rachel. The longer he sat there the more frustrated he got. “I’m going to go take a shower.”

Deidre looked up from entertaining and feeding Rachel to look at Scott, “you okay?” She asked. Deidre could see there was something on his mind.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Scott said walking out of the room.

As Deidre finished feeding Rachel, there was a knock on the door. “Okie dokie Rachel, I think that is your mommy.” She said wiping the baby’s mouth.

Again, Rachel giggled, only this time she clapped her hands harder.

Deidre got up with Rachel on her hip, and answered the door.

“Hey, Deidre.” Jessica said.

“Hey, yourself.”

Rachel squealed excitedly and reached for her mom. “Hiya baby girl.”

Deidre relinquished the hold she had on Rachel, as Jessica took the baby into her arms.

“How was she?” Jessica came into the apartment and closed the door.

“She was good. How was your New Year’s Eve party? Meet anyone special?” Deidre asked.

“The party was fine, but I didn’t meet anyone there. I already knew almost every guy there.”

While the two women sat on the couch, Rachel became restless and tried to move back toward Deidre. Seeing what she wanted, Deidre helped the little girl out. “Now bug, what do you think you’re doing?” Deidre laughed.

Jessica shook her head and laughed, “I don’t get it Deidre. You’re obviously good with children but you don’t want any yourself.”

“Kids are great for a little while. But what makes spending time with them even better is the fact that I can send them home with their parents at the end of the day.” Deidre said.

“You’ll change your mind eventually.”

“I doubt it.” Deidre smiled.

Just as they finished their conversation, Scott walked into the room. “I thought I heard you in here Jess.”

“Good morning Scott.” Jessica said standing up to hug the older man.

“How was you’re night?” Scott asked.

“It was fine. I had fun. But now it’s time to get back to mommy duty.” Jessica said. She walked over to Deidre, who was once again holding Rachel. “Come on Rachel. Let’s go home and let these two have a little adult fun.”

Deidre shook her head, and Scott went to take down and pick up the port-a-crib.

“I’ll bring this down for you.” Scott said.

Jessica waved goodbye and Scott followed her out the door.

Scott came back upstairs and found Deidre straightening up her apartment.

“So,” Deidre said stopping what she was doing to look at Scott. She leaned her back against the counter and crossed her arms.

“So what?” Scott asked sitting down on the couch.

“You’re going to pretend that nothing is wrong with you?”

Scott sighed and looked at his girlfriend. “I love you.” He started.

“I know that.” Deidre said. There was something in the tone of his voice that told her she was not going to like where this conversation was going.

“I want a kid Deidre.” Scott said.

Deidre closed her eyes. This was a conversation she was dreading. “And I don’t.”

“I know that and I want to accept that but it’s hard to watch you be this brilliant person with Rachel knowing that it’s something I’ll never get to really experience with our kid. Because damn it Deidre we’d have a great kid.”

Deidre hung her head not really knowing what to say.

“Why can’t you be that person for our kid? Why don’t you want to share that side of you with the world?” Scott asked frustrated.

“Because I’m not a giving person. I’m selfish and I like my life, our life, just the way it is. I do not want things to change. I wish I could explain it better for you, but I can’t.” Deidre said.

The two of them remained silent for a while. “You’re mad.” Deidre said.

“I’m frustrated.” Scott said standing up.

“Scott,” Deidre said.

Scott ignored her and began walking to the door. He picked his keys off of the table and opened the door. “I’ll call you later Deidre. I just, I need to think okay.” Without looking back he stepped out of the door and left.

Scott made his way to the parking lot. After getting into his car, he did not go anywhere. He sat for a while before he decided to call his mom for advice.

Catherine Simon picked up the phone on its second ring. She knew it was her son. “Happy New Year Scott.”

“Hi mom. Happy New Year to you too.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Deidre does not want kids. She’s very adamant about that.”

“And you do.” Catherine stated.

“Yeah, I don’t get it. She’s so good with them. You remember by the time we left after Thanksgiving Margot was following her around like a puppy. And the boys adored her too.”

“I know.”

“And do you know what the funny thing is mom? I never thought about having my own family until Deidre. She makes me want to have kids. I know it’s not easy but I think with her I could do it; we could do it.”

Catherine sighed. She could tell her son was upset and somewhat confused. “Scott, you want children, but at what price. Kids are wonderful blessings but I don’t want to see you in pain because one part of your plan didn’t work out the way it was supposed to. From what you’re saying, you want to be a father, but only if Deidre is the mother. But Deidre doesn’t want that. And you don’t want to have a child with any other person. You can’t force her to agree with you on this.”

“I know mom. But this is a point that is hard to compromise.” Scott said.

“Relationships are about compromise, sweetie. You can’t always get your way. She has a right to feel the way she feels. You love her?”

“Yes.”

“Can you honestly see your life without her in it?” Catherine asked.

Scott closed his eyes and let out a deep breath. “No, I can’t.”

“Then I think you need to respect her decision.”

“I don’t like it.” Scott said childishly.

“I never said you had to. But you must respect it.”

“Thanks mom.”

“You’re welcome. I have to go now. Love you.”

“Love you too.” Scott hung up the phone and started his car. He was going to leave, but before he could pull out of the parking space, his phone rang again. He put his car in park to answer it.

“Hey,” Scott said.

“Hi. I know I didn’t tell you what you wanted to hear.” Deidre said.

“Yeah,” Scott said.

“Scott, I just don’t see myself in that role…”

“But you’d be so great at it.” Scot interrupted.

“So everyone keeps telling me but…”

“Then why won’t you listen?”

Deidre sighed and Scott could tell she was frustrated through the phone. “Look, I can’t promise you that I’ll change my mind. But can we table the discussion and come back to it.”

“Okay,” Scott said quietly.

“Like in a few years.” Deidre said.

“Okay, we’ll talk about it later.” Scott said.

“Like I said, I can’t promise you that I’ll change my mind. But I am willing to reconsider my position. Just not yet.”

“That’s better than nothing right?” Scott said.

“Yeah. Scott, I love you.”

“I know that Deidre, and I love you to. I’m not going anywhere. You can’t get rid of me that easily.” Scott said smiling into the phone.

 






Chapter End Notes:

Images of Jessica and baby Rachel are up too!