Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Hannah Simon sat in her brother's apartment waiting for him to get home. She had important things to discuss with him, such as when he was going to pop the question to his girlfriend. Sitting on the couch she sighed, she'd already searched the entire apartment for the ring she was sure he had. Hannah wanted to help him plan the whole thing and she felt this week would be perfect, considering it was the week of Valentine's Day.

Scott walked into his abode and just missed hitting Hannah with his duffle bag.

"Hey, watch where you throw that thing Scott."

"Hannah, what are you doing here?" He asked tired from a long day filled with surgeries and paper work.

"Well, I know that you're planning on asking Deidre to marry you, I just wanted to know when, where and what the ring looks like. I already searched in here so I assume you have it with you. I was thinking that maybe I could help you plan the whole thing and that this week is the perfect time, considering Valentine's Day is coming up." Hannah explained.

"First of all, Hannah I don't think any of this is any of your concern." Scott said making his way to the back. "I also want to know how you got into my apartment."

"Don't you remember? You made me a key in case of emergencies." Hannah smiled.

Scott came back out after a few minuets and buttoning up a new shirt. "I don't recall making you a key for 'emergencies.' And even so, this is no emergency."

"Well I took your keys one day while you were napping and made my own key. But that's beside the point. This is an emergency. My big brother is in love and he has no clue when he's going to ask the love of his life, who if I must say so myself must be missing a few screws for even thinking about dating you let alone fall in love with you, to marry him and he doesn't even have a plan."

"Hannah I am not discussing this with you."

"Do you have a ring?"

"Not yet."

"Then how the hell do you plan on proposing to her on Valentine's Day without a ring."

"Did I ever once say I was going to propose to Deidre on Valentine's Day?"

"So you're not going to ask her to marry you any time soon?" Hannah asked.

"Valentine's Day is too predictable Hannah."

"But it'd be so romantic. I want to be proposed to on Valentine's Day, with red roses a carriage ride and everything."

"I hope that isn't going to happen any time soon."

"And why do you say that?"

"Because you're my little sister and no man will be getting within a hundred feet of you as long as I'm around."

"It's a little too late for that Scott." Hannah smiled mischievously.

"Hannah, that is more than I want to know."

"Well, if you aren't going to pop the question, then what are your plans for Valentine's Day?"

"Well I think we might just hang out and watch a movie or something."

"You're kidding me right?"

"Hannah if I tell you my real plans, the first thing you'll do is call Deidre and tell her."

"You know she hates surprises right."

"No I didn't know that Hannah." Scott said sarcastically as he went into the kitchen.

"Are you about to cook something, because I'm starving."

"I'm getting a beer. You can order a pizza if you want."

"Fine, but we aren't through talking about your plans for the fourteenth."

"I believe we are if you want me to pay for the pizza you're ordering." Scott said sitting back down.

"Whatever." Hannah rolled her eyes and began to look through the phone book for a decent pizza place that delivered.

The next morning Hannah made her way through the hospital in search of Emi Rodriguez. Dr. Justin Kent on the other hand was minding his own business when a short blonde with brown eyes walking through the hospital interrupted his thinking..

"Excuse me Dr.." Hannah looked intensely at his badge. "Kent, but I'm looking for Dr. Emilia Rodriguez, she's an orthopedic surgeon around here."

"I know who she is…"

"Great, do you know where she is?"

"Look lady…"

"Hannah."

"Look Hannah, I'm not some babysitter around here. I'm a surgeon…"

"He thinks he's a surgeon, that has yet to be proven though." Scott said walking up to the two.

"Dr. Walker,"

"If you don't have anything better to do than to talk to my baby sister Kent, you can go get me some coffee."

Alex rolled his eyes and walked off.

"Why'd you have to do that Scott? He was kind of hot, scratch that he was incredibly hot, I was about to ask him out." Hannah smiled.

"If you did, you would have ruined his career."

"How so?"

"He would never become a plastic surgeon, I'd ruin his reputation, although it's not like it's that great any way."

"Scott you are such a big brother," Deidre said as she walked up behind Hannah.

"Hi, Deidre I was just looking for Emi."

"Don't you have your own friends Hannah?" Scott asked.

"Don't you have residents to torture?" Deidre countered.

"I'll see you later Hannah." Scott said as he turned around and walked away.

"I saw Emi about an hour ago; she was just getting out of surgery. She might be in an on call room somewhere. What's up?"

"Oh, nothing. I'm gonna' go see if I can find her. Bye Deidre."

Deidre shook her head and went on her way.

Emi was enjoying the peace and quiet of the on call room when Hannah rudely interrupted her relaxation.

"Emi," Hannah said barging into the door.

Emi shot straight up and looked at the new occupant of the room. "Hannah, what the hell?"

"Do you have any idea how many on call rooms I've been to looking for you?"

Emi looked at her with a blank expression on her face.

"Well it doesn't matter. I need to know if you know what Scott is planning on doing for Valentine 's Day."

"What? Why?"

"Because I need to decide if I'll have to completely change his plans."

"I have no clue what Scott is planning on doing. For all I know he could be jumping out of a plane tomorrow. Besides, Scott is a big boy he can make his own plans."

"They might not be appropriate though. I don't want my future sister-in-law to ask me why I didn't help him to make their first Valentine's Day together extra special."

"Technically this is not their first Valentine’s Day together. They hung out together last year at a bar, completely by accident though. Anyway that doesn’t matter. You and I both know that Deidre is not that type of person. Wait a minuet he's going to propose?"

"One of these days, but NOT tomorrow. Tomorrow is too predictable, too romantic." Hannah explained.

"Wow, I knew they were serious but I never thought that he'd consider settling down permanently."

"You and the rest of the world. But he's been hinting at it since Thanksgiving when he talked to my mom. He's in love, and if you ask me so is she. She has got to be crazy."

"Why do you say that?"

"Well because, I have to love him, he's my brother. She chose to love him. You've met my brother."

"Sometimes you can't help it." Emi said thinking about her own relationship with Miguel. "Oh, did Scott or Deidre tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Miguel and I are engaged. And this time, I'm actually going to have a wedding." Emi smiled.

"This time?"

"It's a long story."

"Everything is around here. Look I've got to go, talk to you later." Hannah walked out of the room and closed the door behind her. No sooner had she turned the corner, than she ran into a familiar face.

"Hannah, what are you doing here?" Chase asked surprised by her appearance.

"Visiting my brother."

"No I mean what are you doing in Seattle?"

"I moved here a while ago didn't Scott tell you?" Hannah asked.

"I don't exactly talk to your brother like I used to." Chase confessed.

"Oh, I see. Well it doesn't matter. I've got to get out of here any way. It was nice seeing you."

"Same to you." Derek watched as Hannah walked out of the hospital doors.

Just as Hannah left, Scott walked up.

"Scott, how come I didn't know Hannah moved here?" Chase asked.

"There are a lot of things you don't know Chase. In case you haven't noticed we aren't exactly friends anymore. I've got things I need to do. See you around."

Chase shook his head and went on his own way. Wondering what else he did not know about his former best friend.

At the end of the day, Scott and Deidre met up outside in the parking deck. "Hey Scott," Deidre said walking up to him.

"Yeah."

"What are we doing tomorrow, the standard hanging out while watching movies?"

"Um, no. I'll be by at 6:30 to pick you up."

"Right and I am to where what exactly?"

"The same thing you wore last year."

"I swear if you recreate last year's Valentine's Day I will kill you. I don't expect much but really Valentine's Day in a bar two years in a row would really suck." Deidre said.

Scott rolled his eyes. "Don't worry; it will be nothing like last year's Valentine's Day." And with that Scott got into his car and drove away.

Deidre shook her head and got into her own car. When she got home she looked for the dress Scott had instructed her to where and hung it up in the bathroom so she wouldn't have to do it the next day. She then picked up her phone and gave Emi a call.

"Hey Deidre, what's up?"

"Emi do you have any idea what Scott is planning for tomorrow?"

"Not a clue. That's what Hannah was trying to get out of me when she came by the hospital today. She was dying to know. What did he say?"

"He instructed me to wear the same black dress I wore last year when I ended up at the bar with him."

"That's interesting. You don't think you're going to go back to that bar do you?"

"I hope not. I'm no romantic but, last year my date sucked and I would like to forget it."

"Well you did end up hanging out with Scott didn't you?"

"Yeah but the whole idea of going back there on Valentine's Day really irks me. I don't know what it is. I'd be perfectly happy if he told me we were just staying in watching movies you know."

"Yeah Deidre, you are defiantly not romantic."

"What are you and Miguel doing?"

"We are staying in. He's going to cook for me."

"That sounds nice."

“Yes despite the grilling fiasco, thankfully Miguel is an excellent cook and I don't have to worry about it tasting bad. Look I know Scott can be a little dense at times, but I'm sure he's got something nice planned for the two of you."

"Right, we'll see about that. I'll see you tomorrow at work."

"Alright, Night Deidre."

"Night Emi." Deidre hung up the phone and finished getting ready for bed.

On Valentine's Day Scott arrived at Deidre's apartment promptly at 6:30 for their date. Dressed in a black suit, he knocked on her door waiting for her to appear.

Deidre opened the door knowing exactly who it was on the other side. "You know Scott, tonight you look pretty good."

"Thanks, you don't look so bad yourself." He smiled. "You ready to go?"

"I guess, but I'd be even more ready if I knew where we are going tonight."

"Well if I told you it'd ruin the surprise." Scott explained as they walked down the stairs and out to the car.

"How many times have I told you, I don't do surprises?" She said as she bent down to get into the car.

"Well I guess you'll have to learn to like them." Scott closed the passenger side door and got in his own side.

Scott pulled the car up to the one place Deidre did not want to go, the Space Needle. He parked the car and got out. Deidre looked around hoping this was not their final destination. He knew her greatest fear was heights.

Scott went around to her side of the vehicle and opened the door. "Come on Deidre, our reservation is for seven." He extended his hand and helped her out of the car.

"Seriously Scott, you know how terrified I am of heights. Why the hell would you bring me hear for Valentine's Day?" Deidre asked furiously.

Scott only smirked and pulled her along. "We all have to face our fears some time or another and there's no better time than the present."

"No, I'm not going Scott. I don't care how long you've been planning this but I refuse to go up there." Deidre tried to stand her ground, but Scott continued to pull her toward the door.

When they got to the door, Scott stopped and turned around. He looked at the usually confident woman standing terrified in front of him. "Deidre, look once you get up there you'll love the view. There is no way your going to fall because you'd have to break the glass. And if for some crazy reason there wasn't any glass, I wouldn't let you fall. If you want you can hold onto my hand the entire time." He explained.

Finally conceding Deidre nodded her head. "I'm telling you now, if I fall, you're coming with me."

Scott smiled. "Gladly. Now I think we should probably go on up and be seated. I'm starving and they say the food is to die for at Sky City."

They walked inside and got on the elevator that took them up to the restaurant, the entire time Deidre held on tight to Scott's hand. When they were finally seated close to the window, Deidre let go and slowly peered out the window to take in the view. For security sake she lightly tapped on the glass before deciding there was indeed nothing to fear.

"So what are we having for dinner?" She asked a few moments later after she was sure there was no way for her to fall to her death.

"I'm not sure. This is my first time coming to this place. I was thinking of trying the Seafood trio. What about you?"

"I guess I'll try that as well."

Their dinner 500 feet off the ground went well. They both enjoyed the food as well as the complimentary ride up to the observation deck, where Deidre once again held on tight to Scott's hand. To conclude the night's events Scott and Deidre left the restaurant and went back to her apartment.

"So did you have a nice evening?" Scott asked.

"If you ever take me there again you will not see the next day." Deidre threatened.

"Well at least now you can say you went there. You've faced your fear and that's the first step in concurring it." Scott smiled.

"Are you ever going to tell me what your fear is?" She asked on the way to her room where she put her shoes back in their proper place.

"I don't know."

"And why is that?"

"Because, it may be something I don't have to fear any more."

"And you know that how?" Deidre asked plopping down on the couch next to him.

"If it told you, I'd have to kill you."

"What is it with you and murder? I'm seriously starting to fear for my life." Deidre joked.

"You laugh now."

Deidre gave him a threatening look. "Joking Deidre, just joking. Couldn't hurt you even if I wanted to."

"You say that now." Deidre said as she leaned her head back on his arm. "I really did enjoy tonight."

"I'm glad you did."