Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Scott closed his eyes for a while thinking about everything that Deidre had said so far. From what he heard she was the perfect woman for him. He smiled at that thought. At one point, early in their friendship, Scott thought somehow he would end up with Rebecca, but from what Deidre had told him he and Becca were meant to be friends.

"What kind of relationship do you have with Becca?" Scott asked. “I mean, you mentioned her earlier.”

"Becca and I are pretty good friends. We don’t talk every week, but we have a phone call often enough. We went to her wedding.”

"Really, Rebecca got married? To who?” Scott asked.

"Yeah, the whole thing was nice and a bit short notice. She married the guy she told us about when she and Shri came to visit. Me and you along with Emi and Miguel flew down together."

“What about Chase?” Scott asked.

“What about him?”

“He and Becca are friends too.” Scott said.

“Not really. Your friendship ending with Chase was almost like a divorce and you got Rebecca.” Deidre explained.

“Oh.”

-----------------------------------------------------

A few days after Valentine's Day Scott and Emi received invitations to Rebecca's wedding, of course Scott's was addressed to both him and Deidre while Emi's was addressed to Miguel as well. The wedding was to take place in northern California at Rebecca’s family vineyard. The four friends booked seats on the same flight to California in mid March to attend the wedding of Rebecca Austin Long and Ryan Joseph Parker.

"God I love it here." Emi said as she stepped out of the airport and into the sun.

"Maybe you should move then." Scott suggested.

"I don't know, too much of a good thing you know?"

"Please explain that one to me." Scott said.

"Well if I lived in northern California I’d spend every weekend at a different vineyard tasting different wine. Also the weather is so nice all year round, I might get tired of it. "

"Right," Scott put his shades on and shook his head.

"Don't worry Emi, your statement made perfect sense; it was just too deep for him to understand." Deidre said.

"Thanks Deidre thanks a lot."

"Now children let's all behave." Rebecca said as she walked up to them.

"Becca! It's so good to see you. You look fantastic by the way. I can't believe that your pregnant and getting married!" Emi exclaimed hugging her friend.

"Yes well, that’s life right." Rebecca smiled as she rubbed her belly. She pushed strands of her red hair out of her face and turned to Miguel. "It's good to see you again too Miguel. I heard you've swept Emi off her feet."

"I did my best." Miguel smiled and gave Rebecca a hug as well.

"Scott, I still cannot believe that you have been seeing the same person for almost a year. I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks Becca. You look great by the way."

"Thank you. Deidre, god help you for putting up with that man," She said pulling the other woman into a hug.

"It's hard work and somebody's got to keep him in line wouldn't want to let him loose on the female population." Deidre smiled. "How far along are you any way?"

"Six months, sometimes its hard to believe this is all happening now. I'm so glad you all could make it. Did you make reservations at a hotel?"

"No, you asked us not to."

"And since when have you ever done anything I asked Scott?" Becca asked rolling her eyes.

"Do we need to?" Miguel asked.

"Of course not. The house on the grounds has plenty of room for everyone. Also there are two guesthouses if we need them.”

"Wait a minuet; when was the extra guesthouse built?" Scott asked.

"Shortly after the spring break we spent here in med school. My dad decided since he had to redo the guesthouse we completely tore up, he might as well build a second one.”

"Wow," Deidre said.

“That’s my dad for you,” Rebecca smiled.

“I still can’t believe I didn’t know your family owned a series of vineyards.” Emi said.

“It’s not something I like to boast about.”

“Maybe we should all get going and settle down. Personally I'd like to take a nap." Deidre suggested.

"Of course. This way. I rented a mini-van for this week so we could all be together." Rebecca said as she showed them to the vehicle.

The ride to the Austin-Long vineyard was filled with laughter and catching up among the friends. When they arrived at the house, they saw a number of other cars parked in front off to the side in the driveway.

"Don't tell me the wedding is today Becca." Emi said getting out of the car.

"No, everyone from the practice is here. We shut down the office for the weekend and flew up here together. My parents are conveniently out of the country so it’s really going to jus be a small affair.  Oh, and I hope you don't mind Scott but I invited Molly too."

"Why exactly did you invite Molly?"

"Because, she's the closest thing I have to a sister and we still talk every week."

"Does Chase know?"

"What Chase doesn't know won't kill him and it’s not like the two of us were ever married. Besides, Molly said that he barley calls her anymore and she’s his sister." Rebecca led the group into the house where her colleagues and friends were sitting around drinking.

"Hey Becca you’re back." Shri said.

"I told you it wouldn't be long. I think we should introduce everyone so how about we just go around and say names?"

Everyone went around and introduced himself or herself. "So which one of you is the groom?" A voice said from the hallway.

"Molly!" Rebecca said excitedly as she went to hug her close friend.

"I saw the door open and decided to come on in. So is someone going to answer my question?"

"That would be me, Ryan Parker." He said extending his hand.

"It is nice to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you. By the way, I'm Molly." She introduced herself.

"Well if it isn't Jolly Molly." Scott said as he made his way over to the slender brunette with short hair.

"Watch it Tater Scott."

"Aw Molly did you have to pull out the old nicknames?" Scott asked as he hugged her.

"You started it any way." She smiled sweetly up at him. "Here take my bags to my room while I meet everyone. Oh but before you leave, point out your date so I can bad mouth you."

"Deidre's over there with Emi. She’s the one wearing the blue shirt."

"Thanks." Molly walked over to where Emi and Deidre were sitting with Shri making small talk. "Hello ladies how are you all this lovely day."

"We're fine, Molly. It has been a long time since I've seen you. It had to be at the graduation party Becca threw." Shri said as she went to hug the newest arrival.

"I know. We have got to stop meeting each other exclusively at Becca's events, my God. So, which one of you is lucky enough to be sleeping with the man candy I sent to put my bags up?"

"That would be me, Deidre James."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Molly. Hook up with me later I have got some stories for you." Molly smiled mischievously. "And you are?"

"Emi Rodriguez, I worked with Becca for a while before she left Seattle."

"Well Seattle doesn't sound like it was a complete waste of time for her; she made a couple of friends."

"I guess you could say that," Rebecca said joining the group and bringing Vanessa with her. "Vanessa looked like she was feeling a little left out, hanging around over there with Carson."

"Rebecca I was perfectly fine over there. Carson and I were having a nice discussion about his latest internet escapade."

"He's still doing that?" Shri asked.

"Yes, I've been trying to get to the root of his constant need for meeting different strangers online and sleeping with them."

Shri and Rebecca smiled knowingly before Rebecca piped up, "Vanessa, you need to stop analyzing it. Take a step back and look at the complete picture, then you'll find your reasoning."

"Do you two know something I don't?"

Rebecca and Shri both looked over to where Carson was standing, the rest of the group followed suit. Carson had been gazing in the female's direction when he noticed all of their attention was focused on him. He quickly turned back around.

"I think we all know something you don't. Vanessa was it?" Deidre said taking a sip of her drink.

All the women began to laugh, except Vanessa who stood there confused.

"Well, if you think he's attracted to me you can scratch that." She interjected after their laughter died down.

"Now why do you say that Nessa?" Shri asked.

"Because we tried the whole friends with benefits thing and it didn't go well."

"Really?" Rebecca asked.

"He couldn't even stand the sight of me without any clothes on and he left. It must have felt like he was looking at his sister." Vanessa explained.

Molly shook her head. She'd only known the woman for about thirty minuets, and she could already see that she did not have a clue that Carson was in love with her. The rest of the evening went much like the afternoon. Later in the night Rebecca’s friends from New York, Gigi and Wesley, showed up. The couple was immediately separated. By the time they'd arrived, the men had made their way down to one of the guesthouses while the women remained in main house.

The next morning came faster than anyone had expected it to. The entire vineyard was busy. The groundskeepers were setting up while the guests and bridal party were getting ready.

The women sat together in a room in the main house talking while changing into their wedding attire.

"Rebecca what color exactly is your dress? In your condition no one would believe the whole white thing." Molly smiled.

"It's a simple cream colored dress, but it has emerald stitching. For the empire waste there is an emerald belt and the straps are the same color." She smiled as she put a spoonful of peanut butter, mustard and ice cream into her mouth.

"Rebecca that is disgusting," Carina said as she painted her toenails. Carina was Shri and Ben’s fourteen-year-old daughter. When everyone else had arrived the previous day, Carina was in a room on the Internet chatting with her friends from home

"Carina, don't get all high and mighty. When I was pregnant with you I had the strangest craving for pickles, ketchup, ice cream and orange juice, in a smoothie." Shri said.

"Mom, did you really have to go there."

"Yes."

"So Gigi how's everything in New York?" Rebecca asked.

"Fine, all of our 'friends' miss you. When I told them you were getting married they all were shocked." Gigi explained.

"That sounds like them." Rebecca said.

"My mom is deeply hurt Becca," Molly said.

"Molly…"

"Let me finish. She knows that technically you're not apart of the family but you could still give her a call every now and then.”

“Wait, why would your mom consider Becca as part of your family?” Deidre asked confused.

“Becca and my brother, Chase dated for a while. Everyone thought they would get married. But the two of them decided it was best to be just friends.” Molly explained.

“I didn’t know that.” Deidre said.

“It was a very long time ago. And I didn’t know your mom felt that way Molly.” Rebecca said.

“Well she does. When I told her I was coming for your wedding, and that you were pregnant she sent this." Molly pulled out a hand knitted yellow baby blanket and handed it to Rebecca.

Rebecca smiled as she began to tear up. "Oh Molly, your mom always is so sweet."

While the water works began to flow, Deidre decided she needed some fresh air. Rebecca noticed the Seattle resident leave, so she dried her eyes and went to see what was up. "Not the emotional type are you?" She asked as she stood next to her.

"Nope not exactly, but I'm happy for you." Deidre smiled.

"You do know that one day this will be you right?"

Deidre looked at Rebecca, "that is doubtful."

"You can't tell me you don't know that Scott is thinking about buying you a ring, getting down on one knee and popping the question."

Deidre looked at Rebecca with no surprise anywhere on her face. "I know, and if he asks I'll say yes, and we'll do the wedding thing with close friends and family."

"As long as you know. So what part of this whole thing is doubtful then?" Rebecca asked confused.

"I just don’t see myself with a kid. I like kids, they’re cool little people, but their best when they can go home to their parents.”

"I see."

“I’m trying to remain open minded about the whole idea, but it’s hard. I don’t want children, and Scott does. When I found that out I was surprised because really it’s Scott and I wasn’t expecting that. And now I’m rambling.” Deidre laughed nervously.

“Deidre, I know you don’t want to be a mom but just consider this. I’ve known Scott for years and he has never shown any interest whatsoever in being a father, until he met you. If he thinks he is able to do the whole parenting thing it’s because there is something about you. If Scott is willing to rewrite his whole life plan, shouldn’t you consider stepping up to the plate and making some changes as well?”

“I’m trying.” Deidre said.

“Well I think you should try harder. Look, we should head inside; it's about time for us to get dressed."

Deidre and Rebecca walked back into the house where the other women were already making their way to a room to get dressed.

A few hours later the large group assembled outside, sans the bride. Ryan stood at the end of the aisle under the flower-decorated arch in a simple linen suite. In the background was the most beautiful sunset one could imagine. As Rebecca made her way down the aisle all her friends watched with large smiles on their faces. It was undoubtedly one of the most romantic weddings any of them had the pleasure of attending.

After the "I dos" were said and the cake cut, everyone assembled under a tent for the reception. "Alright everyone, as unofficial maid of honor, it's time to throw the bouquet. So if all you single ladies would please step over here with me, we can get this thing rolling." Shri said

Deidre, Vanessa, Shri and Emi (who was there just for the fun of it) all stood in a small group. Rebecca smiled and winked at everyone and threw the bouquet back. All of the women moved out the way (as planned) and watched as the flowers hit Vanessa's head and fell right into her hands. She looked around at her fellow "single" ladies with shock on her face.

"What the, did you guys have this planned or something?" She asked.

None of the women said anything they just smiled. Next the men assembled for the garter toss. There was no plan whatsoever for the men. The elastic garter just happened to fall right into Carson's hands. "I think this is fate Carson." Ryan said.

Carson's face turned red and everyone laughed. "I think you two ought to dance together Vanessa." Deidre suggested pushing the still in shock woman over toward her best friend. As the music played more couples joined the floor. The small party of friends danced, happy to be in each other's company for a while.

However, instead of joining her friends on the dance floor, Deidre sat at a table with a glass of champagne. Scott came up to the table and sat down next to her.

“Hey,” Scott said.

Deidre gave him a small smile. “Hey yourself.”

“What’s going on in there?” He asked tapping her head lightly.

“I’m trying Scott.”

“What are you talking about?” Scott asked confused.

“I’m trying to be okay with the idea of a kid. Just don’t push me please.” She said turning to face him.

Scott placed his hands on her thighs and smiled. “Okay, I won’t push you. But I just want you to know, you wouldn’t regret the decision to do the whole parenting thing with me.”

A kid Scott. One,” Deidre said holding up one finger. “One child. That’s it.”

“Okay,” Scott said nodding his head.

“And not in the first year. I just, we have to be us first okay.”

“Okay.”

“And stop with the silly grin, this is just…This is me trying.” Deidre said.

“I know, and I love you for trying.” Scott said. He kissed her lightly on the lips before resting his forehead against hers.

“Hey what are you two doing over there?” Molly called as she walked toward Scott and Deidre sitting at the table. “Get your asses on this dance floor.”