Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

April marked the one-year anniversary of their first date, and of course Deidre and Scott did nothing special. The two professionals were both busy and could care less about little things like that. What April also brought was Deidre's birthday. Early in the month Scott conceded to Hannah's wishes and allowed her to help him search for the perfect birthday gift. So on the first Saturday, while Deidre was spending the day with Jessica, Scott and Hannah went to the mall.

"Scott, what are you planning for her birthday?" Hannah asked as they passed by yet another department store.

Scott smiled mischievously, "I was thinking a dress with some shoes. Rebecca told me that I could never go wrong if I bought Deidre shoes."

"Well you can if the shoes are hideous."

"Which is why I brought you along. We also need to stop by Tiffany's on our way home."

Hannah excitedly began fidget, "Oh my God! Are you asking her on her birthday?"

"No, I also bought her a necklace."

Hannah pouted as she came down off of her artificial high, "Really Scott it's been six months since you first said you'd ask her and you still haven't gotten her a ring, nor have you divulged when you're going to ask her."

"Maybe, I want it to be a surprise for you as well Hannah."

"Ugh you are so frustrating." Hannah shook her head. "What color dress are you thinking about getting her?"

"I'm not sure, whatever comes at me."

"Maybe you should just get her a gift card to SAKs instead."

"Deidre hates shopping."

"Okay, maybe you should just buy her a ring and be done with it."

Scott tilted his head then looked at his sister.

"Fine, so you're being a mean big brother and not spilling any details of this engagement you've been planning for the past six months. But I still think you should just nix the whole shoes and dress idea and get some earrings to go with the necklace and a nice dinner and call it a day."

"For once Hannah, I think I agree with you."

"You should do that more often, it's good for you."

Scott and Hannah left the mall and got into the car to go to Tiffany's the famous jewelry store.

"You know Emi and Miguel have set a date."

"Really when is it?" Scott asked.

"September fifth. Emi is super excited. Ever since Rebecca's wedding, which I'm still mad that I didn't get invited to, she's wanted a simple yet elegant wedding. She also figured that by then Becca will have lost the baby weight and could fit into a nice matron of honor dress."

"So Becca's the maid of honor?"

"No the matron, if she were the maid of honor she wouldn't be married. That job goes to Deidre since by the looks of it she'll still be unmarried and unengaged by the time September rolls around."

"Did she say where the wedding's going to be?"

"Some church."

"Oh, that's helpful. Come on let's go inside."

Scott and Hannah got out of the car and walked into the Tiffany's jewelry store. The bell rang as they stepped inside. The gentleman behind the counter smiled, and came toward his two new customers.

"Hello," he said, "my name is Phillip, what is it that you two are looking for?"

"Well he should be looking for an engagement ring, but that's not going to happen." Hannah said as she made her way over to the case that held the rings.

"A little frustrated are we?" Phillip asked.

"A little, he's been talking about proposing for the last six months and he has yet to pop the question."

"Sir, I believe that your girlfriend is dropping some pretty big hints."

"I'm not his girlfriend," Hannah said.

"Oh."

"She's my sister. She's going to help me pick out earrings to go with the necklace you're holding for me."

"I'd rather be picking out a ring." Hannah said rolling her eyes, crossing her arms and walking over to where the two men were conversing.

"Will you shut up if I show you the ring?"

"Wait you've got it already? Where is it? Why haven't I seen it?"

"Phillip, could you look up and see if the ring is ready? It should be under the name Scott Walker. Oh, and can you bring the necklace out as well?"

"Of course. I'll be right back." Phillip then disappeared into the back.

"Why didn't you tell me you got the ring already? Ugh I'm so mad at you and I refuse to talk to you after today."

"Why after today?"

"Because I still have to help you with earrings."

"Okay Mr. Walker here is the necklace, and the ring is ready as well. It says here you've already paid for both." Phillip said as he came back from retrieving the specified items.

"Scott, that is gorgeous!" Hannah said putting her hand to her mouth.

"Which one?"

"Both, but the ring it's incredible. Deidre will love it!"

"Go ahead I know you want to take it out of the box."

Hannah grinned like an idiot and picked the ring out of the box. As she turned it around to watch it catch the sunlight, she could not stop smiling. "This is amazing."

"This is our Lucida with Trilliant side stones it's quite popular. It's also apart of our Tiffany Legends collection." Phillip explained.

"Hannah you can put it in the box now." Scott said.

"Right." Hannah delicately placed the ring back into the box.

"Could you also wrap it up for me?"

"Of course."

"Scott, how on earth did you pick out this necklace too?"

"It caught my eye."

"Scott it has aquamarines and a diamond! Is this platinum?" Hannah asked.

"No, actually it is 18kt white gold." Phillip explained. "Do you want this one wrapped too?"

"No, thank you though."

"You know what Scott," Hannah said.

"What?"

"I really don't think you need the earrings too."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

"Okay then Phillip this'll be it."

"Of course. Here's the necklace, and let me go wrap up the engagement ring for you." He disappeared into the back once again, only to come back a few minuets later with a small box wrapped in the signature Tiffany packaging with a white ribbon around it.

"Thank you Phillip."

"You're welcome. I hope you come back to see us." He said as Scott and Hannah walked out the door.

"So what is your plan for the necklace?"

"Must you know everything I'm planning?" Scott asked getting into the car.

"Yes I MUST know everything you're planning."

"Well I'm not going to tell you." Scott smiled as he pulled the car into traffic. "How about we go get lunch?"

"Works for me."

The next two weeks Hannah could barely keep her mouth shut. She wanted to scream from the roof tops that Scott had gotten Deidre the most amazing necklace for her birthday and that the engagement ring was to die for as well. Since she couldn't tell anyone in Seattle, she decided to give Rebecca, who of course could not keep her mouth shut either, a call. Rebecca decided to call Scot and see how everything was going.

"Hello?" Scott asked answering the phone. It was the night before Deidre's birthday and he'd just gotten in from work. He was going to go over to her apartment for their movie night and other extra curricular activities.

"Scott, it's Becca. Hannah told me about the necklace and the ring."

"I knew she could not keep a secret."

"Well I looked up the ring on the Internet and I must say you did well."

"You think?"

"Yeah, and it looks like you paid a pretty penny for it too." Rebecca said.

"I had a price range."

"I see. So what exactly are your plans for her birthday?"

"I'm going to give her the necklace and we're going out to eat."

"That sounds nice. I see you got rid of the whole shoes and dress option."

"Yeah, Hannah said the necklace was enough."

"I'd have to agree. Look I'll talk to you later. This kid loves to jump on my bladder for some reason. Bye Scott and good luck."

"Bye Becca." Scott hung up the phone and finished getting everything he would need for the next couple of nights. He was not planning on coming back to his apartment for anything.

On the morning of her birthday Deidre James woke up to an almost empty bed. She frowned; her boyfriend of the last year was nowhere in sight. However there was a card sitting on top of twelve white calla lilies, her favorite flower. Inside the card was a simple note: Happy Birthday Deidre. Look in the mirror.

So Deidre grabbed her glasses off of the nightstand and and walked into her adjoining bathroom. When she did look up in the mirror she saw the necklace Scott bought, around her neck. She smiled and fingered the aquamarines. Now I have to find something to wear with this. She thought. As she came to terms with the fact that her boyfriend had in fact not forgotten her birthday, she went back into her bedroom.

She looked around and spied a square shaped box that was about a foot wide. Deidre opened the box and sitting inside of it were two smaller boxes, which she could tell were defiantly from Tiffany & Co. One looked like it could be a ring or earring box and the other was slender, like a bracelet. On top of the bracelet box was a note that read Open me first. So she did. Inside was a sterling silver bracelet with a heart charm. Inscribed on the heart were the words Marry Me. Stunned Deidre nearly dropped her new bracelet back into the box. She placed the piece of jewelry back into the box and reached for the other gift. When she opened the smaller ring box she found an engagement ring, a platinum ring with one rectangular diamond and a triangular stone on either side of the diamond. To say she was surprised was an understatement.

After staring at the ring for five minuets, she realized that even though it was her birthday and she was now engaged, she still had to go to work. So she stood up and went to the bathroom and carefully removed her necklace and placed it on the sink before she got into the shower. When she got out, she put on her necklace and the new charm bracelet, and then proceeded to get ready, like she normally does in the mornings. However, this morning she had one extra step: putting her engagement ring on her left ring finger.

When Deidre finally got to work fifteen minuets late, the first thing she did was look for Emi. However, a doctor whose malpractice suite she recently handled cut her plans short.

"Ms. James, you’re a coldhearted bitch you know that right."

Deidre rolled her eyes. "Good morning to you too Dr. Stanley. I must ask, what are you doing here?”

“I’m here to see you. How could you suggest the hospital fire me? You were supposed to be on my side.” The doctor said.

“I work for the hospital. And legally, what was best for the hospital was to let you go.” Deidre explained.

“And what about my best interests?”

“Dr. Stanley, you may have once been a brilliant doctor, and the hospital may have covered up your mistakes in the past. But this is a new era. I will not let one doctor, who clearly needs help, cost the hospital more money. I will also not allow any other patients you might have had in the future be subjected to your practices. I suggest you leave the hospital before security has to escort you off of the premises.” Deidre finished her tirade and continued on her way.

Deidre found Emi in the locker room. Sitting down on the bench, Deidre played with her new ring. “Morning Emi.”

“Hey Deidre, Happy Birthday.”

“Thanks. You will never guess who I just ran into.” Deidre said.

“Who?”

“Dr. Stanley. He came in and tried to blame me for the hospital letting him go.”

“Well, you did convince the board that it was in the best interest of the hospital from a legal standpoint.” Emi said slamming the door to her locker. She turned around to face her friend.

Deidre stood up and the two women began to walk out of the locker room.

“I did do that. But it’s still his own fault. He has a drinking problem that needs to be taken care of.” Deidre said.

“That is true. Look I have rounds in a few, so I’ll see you at lunch?” Emi said as she started to walk away.

“Wait,” Deidre said grabbing her friend’s arm. “That wasn’t the reason I was looking for you. Have a look.” Deidre said holding out her hand.

"He finally asked you?" Emi said taking hold of Deidre’s hand to get a better look at the ring.

"Sort of, he left it in a box with this bracelet." Deidre extended her right arm and showed off the charm bracelet Scott had left in the box for her.

"So yes, he did ask you. And I'm assuming since you're wearing the ring the answer is yes."

"That would be correct."

"God, I'm so excited for you. I knew this was coming."

"Thanks, we can celebrate later. Right now you have rounds, and I have legal fires to put out." Deidre said.

Throughout the rest of the day, people noticed the ring on Deidre's left finger. But no one said anything. Not too many people liked her around the hospital.

Deidre walked into the cafeteria and looked around for Emi or Scott. Spotting them sitting together, she headed over to the table.

"Well, look who's here the, birthday girl." Scott said as she sat down.

"Thanks Scott," she smiled sincerely before eating her lunch.

"So it looks like that's a yes?" Scott said.

"It is a yes. I love it and the necklace and the bracelet. I say we just stay in tonight and celebrate." Deidre suggested.

"Well we could, but then my sister would be upset because she helped plan the whole evening and all. We just can't do that to lil' old Hannah, besides I've had these reservations for two weeks now." Scott explained.

"Right, we don't want to upset your sister."

"And back out of a two week reservation," Scott said tilting his spoon toward her.

Emi smiled at their interaction. Any one else in the hospital would think it was a typical conversation between colleauges, but anyone who knew them could tell by the look in their eyes that there was so much more there.