Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The chapter title is spanish :).




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

"So, after I insisted to Hannah that I was not going to propose to you on your birthday I did it any way?" Scott asked.

"That would be correct."

"Well how exactly did she take it, after she found out?"

"Well, she was ecstatic to say the least but she still refused to talk to you for a week." Deidre said.

"Right, that week must have been glorious."

"Scott your sister is not that bad."

"Hannah can be extremely annoying at times. I love my sister, don't get me wrong, but the girl has been hyper active since the day she was born."

"I know Scott; I've been around her for the past seven years."

"I keep forgetting that fact."

The two sat in silence as the car continued to inch along in the traffic.

"What was our wedding like, Vegas with an Elvis impersonator?" Scott asked.

"No, although I did consider it on more than one occasion. The first time was when I was helping Emi with her own wedding."

------------------------------------------------

It was one week before Emi was scheduled to take the fateful walk down the aisle, and it seemed that everything was going wrong, well in Emi's eyes. During lunch one day of 'the week from hell' as Emi called it, Deidre and Emi were going over the seating charts for the hundredth time.

"Deidre why did I invite all these people?" Emi asked.

"I tried to warn you," Deidre said putting a spoonful of yogurt into her mouth.

 “My Uncle Jorge refuses to be anywhere near my tía Julia, they had a huge, nasty divorce."

"Emi, seriously you have got to calm down. Take a deep breath. Don't worry about everyone else; this will be your day and no one else's. If they have a problem with it, screw them. Besides, how many times did I suggest you cut down the size of your guest list?"

"You were helping until you did the whole 'I told you so' thing"

"Hello ladies. How are you today?" Scott asked sitting down with his colleagues.

"I'm going crazy!" Emi nearly screamed as she dropped her head to the table.

"I just had an epiphany, screw our January 1st wedding date and let's go to Vegas Scott. You'd love the Elvis impersonators." Deidre said seriously.

"Wow sounds like you two are having fun, I'll leave you to it. Are we still doing drinks later on tonight?" Scott asked getting up from the table mere seconds after he had sat down.

"Yeah Emi's going to need at least six shots of tequila."

"Okay then. Bye." Scott waved as he left the cafeteria.

"Look Emi, this whole freaking out thing has been fun, but I have case files to review. I'll talk to you later." Deidre got up and took her trash and left Emi to wallow in her doubts.

A few days later, it was time for Emi's final dress fitting. Both Deidre and Emi arrived at the bridal shop after a long day at the hospital. There had been a six-car pile up during the lunch hour, which led to an extremely long afternoon for Emi. And Deidre was working on the largest law suite to be filed against the hospital since she began working there.

"I hope my dress fits right." Emi said getting out of the car.

"You and me both."

They walked in expecting a quick appointment, but to their dismay everything went wrong.

"Dr. Rodriguez, good to see you. You're here for your final fitting correct?" The lady behind the counter asked.

"Yes, Amy I am."

"Great I'll go get the dress." The tall, slender blonde left her position and went in search of the dress. When it took her twenty minuets before she came back, Emi began to worry.

"Well, it seems we have a problem," Amy said returning to the front with no dress.

"What do you mean we have a problem?" Emi asked.

"The dress is not back there."

"How can the dress not be back there?" Deidre asked.

"They may have accidentally given the dress to someone else."

"I'm supposed to be getting married in four days and you're telling me that you gave my dress away?"

"I'm sorry we can give you a full refund and provide you with another dress if you'd like."

"What I would like is for my dress to be in front of me to try on and take home, that is what I would like." Emi yelled.

Deidre watched the entire scene from a chair by the window. She shook her head and for the second time considered getting on the first plane to Vegas with Scott to elope.

"I'm very sorry." Amy said as she stood behind the counter processing Emi's refund.

The two left the small bridal shop in a hurry to search for some place that would have an appropriate dress that did not need to be altered. Their first stop was the generic David's Bridal.

"I am going to kill someone," Emi said as she yanked open the door for the franchise bridal shop.

"Everything is going to fall into place Emi," Deidre said in a vain attempt to calm down her friend.

"You say that now. Just wait till your wedding and the stupid people lose the dress you order months ago." Emi said.

"Hello how can I help you ladies this evening?" A dress consultant asked.

Emi was about to open her mouth when Deidre place a calming hand on her arm. "Look, we're in dire need of a dress and soon. My friend here, Emi, is getting married in four days. Some idiot at some small bridal shop gave away her original dress; so now she needs a new one. Do you think you can help us?" Deidre asked.

"Of course. Let me pull some dresses out and you tell me which one you like. My name is Tammy by the way." She said as she rushed off to find dresses.

After trying on eleven different dresses, Emi finally found the perfect one. As she looked in the mirror and turned around, she smiled at Deidre. "This is almost better than the first dress I had."

"Almost, Emi it's perfect for you. Thank God that's over with." Deidre said.

"You do look lovely in this one." Tammy said.

"And you know Emi, the shoes you have already would go perfectly."

"I know. Thank you so much Tammy." Emi said stepping down to go remove the dress and put her clothes back on.

"It was my pleasure."

After Emi dropped Deidre off at her apartment, the first thing Deidre did was call Scott.

"Hello?" Scott said into the phone.

"Hey, you weren't sleep were you?"

"No, maybe. How'd everything go with the dress?"

"It was a nightmare. Emi had to buy a completely new dress."

"That sucks," Scott said.

"Do you think our mothers would forgive me if I decided to drag you to Vegas and elope?"

"My mother would, she'd be thankful you didn't back out. Your mother on the other hand would have a fit, and Hannah wouldn't talk to either of us for at least a year. Although that might not be such a bad thing."

"Scott, as much as Hannah annoys us both about this whole thing, it's nice to have her to talk to once in a while."

"Hmph, she's only been in your life for a year. Talk to me in five and see if you say the same thing."

"It doesn't matter. I just wanted to see what you thought of the whole Vegas idea so I'll let you return to sleeping, something I should be doing. I have a lot of work to do tomorrow."

"Alright, see you tomorrow then."

"Good night, Scott." Deidre hung up the phone and looked around the room at the various boxes. Along with helping Emi with her wedding, Deidre was in the process of packing. She and Scott had found a town house that they were moving into at the end of the month. Tired from the day, she fell into bed and did not wake up the next morning until her alarm clock went off.

It was two days before Emi's big day, and she was about to have another nervous breakdown. It seemed as if everything was going wrong for her wedding. Sitting in her apartment with her head in her hands, Emi complained to Deidre. And once again Deidre was thinking about eloping, only this time she thought they should skip the Vegas thing and go down to city hall.

"Oh my God, this has got to be a sign or something. The limo service says that the limos are not reserved; the caterer is going crazy. What am I going to do?"

"What you need to do is take a deep breath and put it all on hold while you make little faces at my handsome son." Rebecca said walking into the room.

"Thank God you're here Rebecca, I was about to jump out of the window." Deidre said.

"Yes well, I know exactly what you're going through Emi. I went through it a few months ago." Rebecca joked. "Besides I brought a distraction. Say hello to Joseph Austin Long Parker."

"He is adorable Rebecca. Let me hold him." Emi said.

"Did you give the kid enough names?" Deidre asked as she played with the baby's hand.

"Ryan said the same thing. I was going to give him one more but everyone at the practice said it would be over kill."

"You think?" Deidre asked as she looked up.

"Now, why were you freaking out again?" Rebecca asked sitting down.

"This wedding is going to be a disaster. I have relatives who are nagging me. There are issues that need to be worked out with the caterer. And on top of all that the limos aren't reserved"

"Forget about it Emi. Ignore your relatives. Don't worry about the limos and the caterer, Deidre and I will take care of it."

"We will?" Deidre asked.

"You are a life saver Rebecca." Emi said.

"I know."

On the eve of Emi's wedding, she Deidre and Rebecca sat up talking late into the night.

"So have you and Miguel talked about kids?" Rebecca asked.

"Yes and we want like six of them."

"You're kidding me right?" Deidre asked in disbelief as she put popcorn into her mouth.

"Well, we're both only children. So we don't want our kids growing up playing by themselves all the time." Emi explained.

"That makes sense." Rebecca said.

"What about you, are you and Ryan going to have more kids?" Emi asked.

"Not the natural way."

"Why not?"

"It was a miracle that Joey was even conceived. When I got to Las Vegas I'd asked Shri to help me get pregnant through in vitro. She told me that there was a very slim chance it would work. But Ryan and I have talked about adopting when Joey is a little older."

Deidre had been listening to their conversation and minding her own business when Emi broke her train of thought.

"What about you and Scott, Deidre? Have you decided one way or another about the whole kid thing?”

“I am leaning in a direction…How about we just go to bed.” Deidre said.

"We should get some sleep any way. We have got to get you down the aisle, Emi. And we don't want bags under your eyes now do we?" Rebecca said picking up their plates from earlier.

"Well this is my last night as a single woman."

"You had fun right?" Deidre asked.

"Yeah, I did. Thanks, both of you. I don't know what I would have done if you two weren't here."

"Oh, please Emi, don't go all mushy on us. Save it for tomorrow." Deidre said.

"I agree with Deidre," Rebecca said. "There will be plenty of time to get emotional tomorrow."

The three friends all went to bed, excited for the next morning, which came all too fast. Emi woke up to Going to the Chapel, playing on a CD player. She rolled over and opened her eyes. Her two friends were already up and bouncing around to the song.

"Oh, God," She groaned. "Did you two really have to wake me up with this song? Was it necessary?"

"Necessary no," Deidre smiled.

"Fun, definitely." Rebecca finished.

"Get up sleepy head, time to make you beautiful." Deidre said.

By three o'clock everyone was assembled at the church, waiting for the bride to come down the aisle. Deidre, Rebecca, Emi and her dad all stood behind the doors.

"Okay, why am I freaking out right now?" Emi said nearly hyperventilating.

"Don't freak now Emi we got you this far." Deidre encouraged.

"This is all you Emi you can do it." Rebecca said.

As music began to play, Rebecca looked at Deidre, "That's our cue." The two gave Emi one last hug before stepping into the church to make their own way down the aisle.

Standing with just her father Emi closed her eyes. "Alright, let's do this Daddy." The doors opened and Emi looked down the aisle. She saw her two best friends beaming in their dresses, one with tears in her eyes, and then she saw Miguel, the man who was about to be her husband. She looked around the packed church at all her friends and family and knew that this was how a wedding was supposed to be.