Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

For Deidre and Scott, Thanksgiving and Christmas were not a big deal. Their impending wedding maintained all of their attention and spare time. In fact, Scott spent Christmas Eve and Christmas day working in the hospital, taking care of patients from crazy holiday accidents. When he finally came home on Christmas day, he spent the time attempting to help Deidre with last minute preparations for the wedding.

Scott and Deidre’s family arrived in Seattle a few days before the ceremony and both the James and Simon families went straight to the resort where the ceremony was to be held. The day her family arrived, Deidre had a few loose ends to tie up at work. As soon as she was finished, she left the hospital, picked up Jessica and Rachel, then met everyone at the hotel of the resort.

Deidre and Jessica walked into the resort early in the afternoon. Jessica was pushing Rachel in a stroller, and Deidre was carrying a notebook full of personal reminders.

"Deidre over here," Beth said waving to her sister-in-law.

Deidre walked over and enveloped Beth in a hug. "Hey Beth, was your flight alright?"

"Yeah, it was peachy. Matthew slept the entire way."

“My nephew is one of those good babies isn’t he, the ones I appreciate most because they’re quiet on airplanes.” Deidre laughed. “Any way Beth this is Jessica Collins and her daughter Rachel.”

“So you’re Jessica.” Beth said. “Deidre has told me a lot about you and Rachel.”

“Really?” Jessica said.

“Yes, she’s quite proud of you, ya know.” Beth said.

Deciding it was time to change the subject, Deidre asked, "Where is my nephew?"

"With your brother in the room. I've been roaming around getting a feel for the place. It's gorgeous here."

"I know. I wanted to do a garden wedding, but its winter and Seattle doesn't have any indoor gardens. I figured here would be the next best place."

"So, is Scott taking the next few days off or what?" Beth asked.

"No, he's taking Friday and Saturday off. Tomorrow he's got a pretty big surgery during the day."

"Have you guys planned anything for us to do tomorrow?" Beth asked

"We have one of the conference rooms reserved. We're going to have a little meet and greet where our families can get to know each other." Deidre said.

"That sounds like a good idea. You need to show me the exact room where you cast off your single cape and join the ranks of married women."

“You are going to love the room Beth,” Jessica said.

"It's this way." Deidre led Beth and Jessica into an intimate room that could seat approximately fifty people. On the far side of the room were three sets of French doors that opened out onto a terrace. Beyond the terrace was an enclosed garden with winter blooming flowers.

"Believe it or not, but this is just how I imagined it." Beth said walking around the now empty room.

"It is nice." Deidre smiled.

"So what types of flowers make up your bouquet?"

"My bouquet is made up entirely of Calla Lilies. You know that was part of the way he proposed."

"I know, you've only told me a thousand times. And they're your favorite flower. I should have known." Beth smiled. "Show me which room the reception is going to be in."

"Right this way." Deidre, Beth and Jessica rode an elevator to the very top floor. The doors opened to a lavish banquet style room. There were tables set up, as well as a dance floor. The most spectacular part of the room was the view.

Beth made her way over to one of the large windows. She looked out and saw ocean waves crashing against rocks down below. "Deidre this place is amazing. How did you find it?"

"The internet contains a wealth of information. I'll have to teach you how to use it." Deidre said sarcastically.

Beth rolled her eyes.

“She used a site that listed some of the best resorts in Seattle.” Jessica explained.

"Thank you Jessica. So, Deidre tell me the set up of this room. Are the tables going to be set up exactly like this or what?"

"Well the cake is going to be on a table against the far wall. The tables will look just like they do now. We thought about getting an ice sculpture, but I think that would have been overkill. But we will have a chocolate fountain in the corner over there. It will be its own station with fruit and cakes."

"And the menu?"

"You got the invitation. It's the standard choice between chicken, steak, fish or vegetarian." Deidre and Beth got back on the elevator and took it down to the lobby.

"So when am I going to see the dress?"

"On my wedding day while you help me get ready." Deidre smiled. "Why are we down here?" She asked realizing they were back in the lobby.

"Your mom is bringing Matthew down and we are all going to get some lunch."

“That sounds nice.” Jessica said.

The three women sat in the lobby. Rachel began to squirm in the stroller that was no longer moving.

“It looks like someone is ready to get out aren’t they?” Jessica said unstrapping her daughter and sitting her on her lap.

Rachel made a few unintelligible noises and began to squirm again.

“She looks like she wants to get down.” Deidre noted.

Jessica put Rachel on the floor and she began to walk back and forth between Deidre and Jessica.

 The three of them, while keeping an eye on the mobile toddler, people watched as they waited for Deidre's mom to come down. In the middle of their conversation about the latest arrival to the resort, an old woman sporting a unique blazer and hat combination, Hannah walked in with Margot in tow.

"Deidre, Jessica hey. It's almost like you two were waiting for me." Hannah said as she walked up to the pair.

"Not exactly, we're waiting on my mom to come down. We're going to lunch."

"Hi Deidre.” Margot said.

“Hi there Margot.”

“Granma said I could call you Aunt Deidre since you're marrying Uncle Scott." Margot said after she broke free of Hannah's grasp.

"That's fine with me Margot." Deidre smiled. "Where are your brothers and your parents?"

"They're getting the stuff out of the car. Who are you?" Margot asked turning to Beth.

"My name's Beth, and I'm married to Deidre's brother, and you are?"

"My name is Margot, and this is my Aunt Hannah."

Beth stretched out her hand to shake Margot's smaller one. "Well, it's very nice to meet you Margot, and you too Hannah. I've heard so much about you"

Hannah smiled, "Thanks, I hope it was good."

After Beth stopped talking, Margot went over to Jessica. “And who are you?” The little girl asked.

“I am Jessica a friend of Deidre and your Aunt Hannah. And this is Rachel.”

“Can I play with Rachel?” Margot asked

“Sure.”

"Hannah, I thought you were going to check us in." A voice called from the door.

Hannah rolled her eyes and went toward the desk, "Well I'll see you later; my evil sister-in-law wants me to do her bidding. Come on Margot."

Deidre smirked at the comment, and Beth looked confused.

"Aunt Hannah who's your evil sister-in-law?"

"No one sweetie. Why don't we keep that our little secret?" Hannah smiled as she bent down to the young girl's level.

"Okay."

Hannah and Margot made their way over to the check-in counter as Samantha walked over to Deidre, Beth and Jessica. "Deidre, nice to see you again."

"Yeah, nice to see you too. How have you been?" Deidre tried to feign interest in the woman's life.

"I've been okay."

"Right."

"I thought Hannah was going to get us all squared away. It looks like she may need some help over there. I'll leave you to what ever it is you're doing." Sam gave a small wave and walked away.

"She did not seem too nice." Beth said.

"Nice observation. She is evil."

"She can't be that bad." Jessica said.

"Oh, trust me Jessica she is. Are either of you as hungry as I am?"

"No." Beth said.

“I’m not either.” Jessica said.

"Maybe it's just because I didn't really have breakfast. What is taking my mother so long?"

"Do you want me to go see?"

"No we can wait."

A few minutes later the elevator dinged and Nora James pushed a stroller through the doors and toward her daughter and daughter-in-law. "Sorry it took so long girls. Matthew had a dirty diaper I had to change, and then his outfit was all smelly so I had to change that to but, we are here now."

"Yes you are here now. Let's go." Deidre, Beth, Jessica and Nora left the resort in search of food.

The next evening Deidre awoke from her nap with a shadowy figure leaning over her. She opened her eyes to find Scott. "Hey, how was the surgery?"

"It went fine. How are you doing? My lovely relatives bother you much today?"

"No, Hannah's been entertaining them for the most part. Beth and I finished off the name tags for tonight." She said as she sat up and ran a hand through her hair.

"You seriously bought name tags for tonight?" Scott sat down on the edge of the bed and leaned his arm over her legs.

"Yes, I think it's important that they know each other."

"I know Deidre, but name tags feel like it's over kill."

"You would think that."

"Am I picking up the Vegas crew tomorrow morning or do we have a taxi service for them?" Scott asked.

"I think Emi said she and Miguel are going to go but they may need another car. You could send Hannah. I think she would not mind getting away from Sam."

"Three cars will be enough?"

"Yes three cars should be enough. Now move so I can go freshen up for dinner."

"Fine. You don't want to be near me, I understand."

Deidre rolled her eyes as she walked into the bathroom; "Sometimes I wonder how I got into this whole thing with you. You act like a child."

"It was a bet remember, and you lost."

She peeked out of the bathroom, "I think I'm regretting agreeing to the bet."

"No you're not. You love me." Scott said walking into the bathroom, wrapping his arms around her waist and nuzzling at her neck.

"Well when you do that you're right. I don't regret it." Deidre sighed. "As nice as that feels, we have your family and my family waiting for us downstairs in the conference room. Hannah can only do so much to keep your sister-in-law at bay."

"Did you have to remind me?"

"Yeah, I did. Let's go." Deidre pulled Scott along and the couple made their way downstairs to the conference room they reserved for the night.

Inside, both families were already mingling and entertaining pleasant conversations. Kevin and Aaron were discussing the finer points of college basketball while Michael and David discussed fly-fishing. Beth and Hannah were having an animated discussion in the corner while Jessica watched as Margot played with Matthew and Rachel. Scott's two nephews were playing video games and Sam sat by herself watching everyone else.

When Deidre and Scott walked in, Catherine and Nora both smiled and glided up to the couple. "Hi sweetheart. Deidre told me you had a surgery today how'd it go?" Catherine asked.

"It went fine mom." Scott hugged his mother before turning to Nora and embracing her as well.

"I see you two are getting along well mom." Deidre said.

"Yes dear, we are getting along just fine. I was actually wondering when I can expect grandchildren from you two." Nora smiled.

"What you're not happy with Matthew?" Deidre asked her mother.

"I love Matthew to death, but it'd be nice if I had more than one lovely grandchild."

Remembering the conversation she had with her son months ago, Catherine decided to keep her mouth shut on the topic.

"Scott and I have discussed children and we’re going to wait. And as far as children goes it’s singular, child, just one."

Catherine smiled happy that the couple was able to come to an agreement. “That’s nice.”

“Deidre, only one? Surely the two of you want more than just one child.” Nora said looking from her daughter to Scott.

Catherine patted her new friends arm lightly, “now Nora, this is what the kids have decided.”

“I know, I know. But it would be nice if they agreed upon two or three don’t you think?” Nora said as the two older women walked away.

Deidre rolled her eyes at her mother’s comment. "Well it looks like everyone is getting along fine."

"Did you have any doubt?" Scott asked.

"A little." Deidre sighed. "In forty-eight hours we will be married."

"And this whole thing will be over with."

"Thank God." Deidre said as she sat down.

"Do not act like you haven't had fun planning this." Scott accused.

"I have had a little bit of fun. But I will be glad when they go home and we go to Italy."

"We can't go now?"

"No Scott, we can't go now."

"Too bad, I guess."