Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Saturday morning came all too soon for Scott and Deidre. The two were running around the resort making sure everything was finalized for their wedding that was to take place the following afternoon. Both families did their best to help out; ultimately they stayed out of the way.

By noon, Deidre had called everyone involved in providing something for her wedding except the florist. While Deidre was in the lobby on the phone with the florist, some of the final guests from out of town arrived. She ended her call and promptly went to entertain her friends.

"Wow this place is nice." Rebecca said. She was standing next to her husband, Ryan.

"Well, thanks. I'm so glad you guys could make it." Deidre said as she hugged the first of her many friends from Las Vegas.

"Yeah, well when you send us tickets with our invitations, it's kind of hard to refuse." Shri said.

"Ooh, look at that," Carson said as he walked over to something shiny.

"Carson, don't touch that," Vanessa said pulling him away from the very breakable decoration. "So you said you handled everything, including our reservations."

"Um, yeah I did. When I made your reservations I kind of forgot to get a room that had two beds for you and Carson and well…" Deidre tried to explain.

"That's okay; we can fix it now can't we?"

"Not exactly, the resort is completely booked."

"You're kidding! Who goes to a resort in the middle of winter?" Vanessa asked. Behind her, Rebecca and Shri smirked, knowing perfectly well that Deidre's little "mistake" was no mistake at all.

"Vanessa, it'll be okay. I'm sure you and Carson can behave like grownups." Rebecca smiled.

Deidre looked at the group that walked in confused. "Where's Emi?" She asked Miguel when he walked in.

"She left the video camera at home; she went to get it." Miguel explained as he pulled a suitcase behind him.

"So here are all your keys," Hannah said as she walked up to the group. While everyone else was talking, she had checked everyone in and gotten the room keys.

"Thanks." Vanessa said.

"You're welcome. Everyone is on the fourth floor." Hannah explained. All of the new arrivals made their way toward the elevator to go up to their rooms.

Later in the evening, Deidre sat in the hotel room the wedding party designated for the bride. Emi, Rebecca and Beth were in the room with her, calming her nerves for the next morning.

“I’m getting married tomorrow. God that statement sounds a little weird.” Deidre said from the large armchair.

“How are you feeling?” Beth asked.

“I’m feeling like one chapter of my life is over and a new one is starting. But I really enjoyed the chapter I just finished and I want to read it again. And at the same time, if that part of the story was so good, the next one’s got to be better right?” Deidre explained.

“Wow, you really stuck with your metaphor didn’t you.” Emi laughed.

“You know me, I like to see things through to the end.” Deidre said.

“So what is Scott doing tonight? Does he have any plans?” Rebecca asked.

“I know Kevin said something about drinks in the hotel bar.” Deidre replied.

“So no big bachelor party?” Beth asked.

“The did that last weekend right Emi.” Deidre said.

“Yes, Miguel took Scott and some of their friends out. I didn’t ask where they were going. I didn’t want to know.” Emi said. “Did Scott say anything?”

“He said they went to a movie early in the evening and then they headed out for drinks. Really it sounded more like they bar hopped all night.” Deidre said.

“That sounds very tame.” Beth said.

“Yeah, it sounds like you got the version Scott wanted you to hear.” Rebecca said.

Deidre rolled her eyes as she walked over to the mini-fridge and pulled out a bottle of water. “Anybody want one?”

The three other occupants shook their head no.

“What I want to know Deidre is why you chose a Sunday to get married on? Most weddings are on Saturdays.” Beth asked.

“I wanted to get married on New Year’s Day, end of story.”

“And Scott was okay with it?” Rebecca asked.

“Why wouldn’t he be?” Deidre asked.

“I don’t know. I was just curious.”

 “Actually,” Deidre sighed, “he did take issue with the idea of having the ceremony on a Sunday, but I truly think he just wanted to play devil’s advocate. Once I came up with the date there was no amount of reasoning that could change my mind. I think Scott heard that in my voice when I told him, so he decided to take a stance against it.” Deidre laughed.

“So how on earth did you get him to agree to January 1st then?” Beth asked.

“I had to give up something.”

“Which was?” Rebecca asked.

“I had to give up some control of the wedding planning.”

“How much control are we talking?” Emi asked.

“Scott was in charge of the music for the reception. He booked the DJ.”

“Really?” Rebecca smiled.

“He promised there would be a variety of music and it wouldn’t all be just a mix of rock and country.”

“Scott likes country music?” Beth asked.

“Some, but I really don’t mind country music that much. I just can’t take the songs that sound whiny.” Deidre said shuddering.

“What about the music for the traditional dances? You at least got a say in the song for the first dance, and the father daughter dance right?” Emi asked.

Deidre looked at her friend before biting her lip and looking away. “Nope. No say at all.”

Emi, who for her own wedding had a say in every last detail, could not believe what Deidre was saying. “Deidre, you left such an important aspect of the evening up to Scott?” Emi asked in disbelief.

“Yes, I trust Scott.” Deidre said.

“So, do you know what you’re dancing to? Did he tell you?” Beth asked.

Deidre shook her head.

“It’s going to be a surprise then.” Rebecca said.

“Yes, it is.” Deidre said. She looked over to Emi who was still sitting in shock. “Are you okay over there?”

“I just, I can’t… wow.”

“That was very unintelligible.” Rebecca said.

“Maybe we should talk about something else.” Deidre said. “Before Emi over there starts hyperventilating.”

“So you’re heading to Italy for your honeymoon right.” Beth said.

“That is correct. But we’re spending a couple of days in New York first. We leave Tuesday for New York and then Thursday morning we fly to Italy.”

“Where exactly in Italy are you going?” Emi asked having finally recovered from shock.

“We’re going to start in Milan then head down to Florence, Rome and Naples.”

“That’s quite a few places. And they’re not exactly right next to each other.” Rebecca said.

“Well, we’re spending two weeks in the country so we really wanted to see everything. And by we I mean me, I’ve been to France and Ireland but not to Italy.” Deidre said.

“What about Scott? Has he been?” Beth asked.

“Yeah, he said as a child, his step-dad took the family there every other summer. David Simon is an Italian chef.” Deidre said.

“Have you had any of his dishes?” Rebecca asked.

“No I haven’t. But we are supposed to be spending next Christmas in Connecticut with Scott’s family. He said for the Christmas holiday, the men make dinner. It’s usually Italian themed.”

“Sounds like it should be fun.” Emi said.

“I think it will be.” Deidre said.

“You know, how do you think Scott’s family would feel if we did one big Christmas holiday thing?” Beth asked.

“That’s actually not a bad idea. I’ll talk to Catherine later on and see what she thinks.”  Deidre said.

"You guys know what I think?” Rebecca asked. “I think we should get some sleep. Tomorrow is your big day Deidre, and we all have to be up in the morning to help guarantee this whole thing goes off without a hitch." Rebecca said picking up the empty plates and cups off the bed.

"Yeah tomorrow's a big day." Beth said.

"A very big day." Emi agreed.

After cleaning up the room, the four women went to sleep, anxious about what the next morning would bring.